Journey Book 2 - Elise's Journey by kwajeraspen
Summary:

Welcome to the city of Baltimore, Maryland and into the life of Elise Roberts. Elise lives the life of a pampered princess. Designer clothes, expensive cars and fancy parties are the center of her world. She is a woman who has everything she ever wanted until she meets Lukas Weiss. Faced for the first time in her life with rejection, Elise hatches a plan designed to heal her wounded pride. A game of seduction and the ultimate rejection. Funny thing, though, about the game of love....it is always unpredictable.


Categories: Original Fiction Characters: None
Classification: None
Genre: Drama, Friendship, Romance
Story Status: None
Pairings: None
Warnings: Adult Situations, Original Characters, Sexual Content
Challenges: None
Series: Journey
Chapters: 19 Completed: No Word count: 55134 Read: 40868 Published: January 08 2014 Updated: October 16 2016
Story Notes:

Chapter 1 will be posted by the end of the week.....

1. Cast Pics by kwajeraspen

2. Chapter 1 by kwajeraspen

3. Chapter 2 by kwajeraspen

4. Chapter 3 by kwajeraspen

5. Chapter 4 by kwajeraspen

6. Chapter 5 by kwajeraspen

7. Chapter 6 by kwajeraspen

8. Chapter 7 by kwajeraspen

9. Chapter 8 by kwajeraspen

10. Chapter 9 by kwajeraspen

11. Chapter 10 by kwajeraspen

12. Chapter 11 by kwajeraspen

13. Chapter 12 by kwajeraspen

14. Chapter 13 by kwajeraspen

15. Chapter 14 by kwajeraspen

16. Chapter 15 by kwajeraspen

17. Chapter 16 by kwajeraspen

18. Chapter 17 by kwajeraspen

19. Chapter 18 by kwajeraspen

Cast Pics by kwajeraspen

Main Cast

 Elise Roberts

  Lukas Weiss

  Kori Green

  Devyn McKnight

   Everett Roberts

  Elizabeth Roberts

  Mila Weiss

Chapter 1 by kwajeraspen

Chapter 1

Elise Roberts lived a charmed life. She was fortunate in her birth to be born into wealth and security. Thanks to the hard work and determination of her great-grandfather, the Roberts became successful business owners, which allowed them to move out of their poverty stricken neighborhood into an upper class neighborhood in Baltimore City. Her grandfather, an astute businessman in his own right, grew the business into a household name; her father took the Roberts Construction national. Their family never wanted for money again and as a result, she was brought up with certain privileges. She had no idea what it was like to be poor, not from personal experience, and she made no apologies for it.

Elise took full advantage of her place in the world. And, she took pleasure in her lifestyle; fancy clothes, expensive cars, the parties. Why shouldn't she have whatever she wanted? She could afford it. And anyone who would criticize her knew damn well that if they could afford it, they would too. So there! She thought, giving a mental middle finger to those who had and would judge her. She was Elise Roberts and she was proud of it.

It didn't hurt that to top it all off, she was beautiful.  Her skin was smooth and brown with a hint of gold hue underneath. She wasn't tall, only 5'6" but her long limbs made her appear to be; that and the fact that she wore high heels almost always. Her face was a classic heart shape (slightly pointed chin, narrow jaw-line, widening at the upper portion), which she inherited from her mother. Her mouth was narrow at the corners but full in the lips, giving them a slightly pouty look. Her nose was small, slender at the bridge, spreading just a bit at the nostrils. And her eyes, a gift from her father's gene pool; cat shaped, hazel (green with flecks of golden brown).  

She was well aware of the fact that she was spoiled rotten by her parents; mainly her father. She was the pampered princess; a role that she never wanted to give up and never planned to. Some people were meant to labor, while others were meant to be cosseted; that was her. She realized how that sounded and again, she did not care. If there was one thing that was true about Elise Roberts, she was honest to a fault. Some people loved her for it and some......

She shrugged, turning up the music in her car. She bobbed her head to the rhythmic sounds of Miguel's voice. The man made good music and she loved it. As she pulled into the first empty parking space outside Xia Li's spa, she waved her hands in the air, swaying to the final note of the song. Then she shut it off with a smile.

The music was nice, fun but she was ready for her trip to heaven. She had a complete spa/beauty day planned. She couldn't wait for her full body massage then, she was having a facial, pedicure and manicure; afterwards, she was off to the hair salon. She climbed out of her car excited about her afternoon.   

The smile on her face bloomed, beaming brighter than the sun. Outside the spa there stood her two besties. Kori was chatting away on her cell phone, taking a business call no doubt.....on her day off. Devyn stood or more so leaned, against the wall, her rounded belly making the front of her coat stick out; long spirals of dark curly hair hung down, touching her shoulders. Even in this chilly weather, her skin glowed.

Elise hugged Kori, who stopped talking briefly to embrace her in return. Then, Elise placed a kiss on Devyn's cheek. Automatically, she touched Devyn's stomach. Devyn was due in April, three months from now. Elise gave her stomach a gently rub, "Hey little guy or girl in there. Auntie Elise can't wait to meet you". The baby kicked in response and Elise was delighted. "How are you holding up kiddo?" She asked Devyn.

"I'm fine", Devyn said. Truthfully she was a bit tired and her back ached just a little. She dared not say the words out loud. The last time she uttered them, she found herself tucked in bed at Jason's parents' home with her feet propped up and everyone waiting on her hand and foot, including William Westmore himself. Not that she didn't appreciate the care and attention from Jason, his family, her parents and two best friends but she was a very independent person, who still wanted to do as much for herself as possible, pregnant and all.

Devyn was lying, Elise could see but she just linked her arm through Devyn's and led her into the spa. "Once Xia finishes with you, you are going to be floating on a cloud for the rest of the day and likely the next". She had initially booked a personal treatment with Xia for herself; appointments with Xia had to be booked months in advance and she only took a handful of clients. As much as Elise wanted to keep the treatment for herself, she opted to give it to Devyn.

Devyn frowned, "Is it safe for the baby?"

"Are you kidding me? Junior or juniorette will love it, I promise", Elise said. "And I know juniorette is not a real word Kori", she added, without looking behind her.

"I wasn't going to say anything", Kori said. "I actually kinda like it".

Xia Li's personal assistant approached them. "Ms. Li is ready for you".

Elise nodded. "Okay", she said then handled Devyn off to the assistant. "Relax and enjoy", she called out as the assistant led a confused Devyn away to Xia private treatment space.

"That was your appointment", Kori pointed out as they watched Devyn being escorted away.

"She needed it more", Elise replied. "She needs to relax".

"Tell me about it", Kori agreed. "The closer she gets to her due date the more she is determined to do the opposite. Poor Jason has been cutting her off at the pass in every way he can".

Elise shook her head. "Well, he has allies in us. Devyn is going to slow down and we will help him see to it".

"Definitely", Kori agreed. Her phone rang again and she quickly answered it, walking off.

Devyn wasn't the only one who needed to relax Elise thought. Kori's hectic work schedule and the demands on Devyn being a business owner, only solidified her desire never to be in the same boat. She'd never worked a day in her life; not, that she'd ever have to.

Kori returned. Her brows knit together in a frown.

"What's wrong?" Elise asked.

"Nothing", Kori replied, forcing a smile.

Now it was Elise's turn to frown. Before she could press Kori to spill, they were whisked away for their spa treatments. Once their treatments were completed, Kori rushed off, without much an explanation.

"That was odd", Devyn said as Kori sped away.

Elise nodded, "Very". Elise put her arm around Devyn's shoulder. "Looks like you're stuck with me as a chauffer. Where are you headed?"

"I told Jason I'd met him at the office for lunch".

"Hmmm.....a little rendezvous", Elise said wiggling her eyebrows.

Devyn huffed. "More like another attempt to talk me into hiring an assistant. The man is determined to have me sitting around with my feet propped up and being waited on for the next three months".

Elise shook her head, pulling a face pretending that she was shocked and appalled. "The nerve of him", she said dramatically. "You know what you should do, don't you?"

Devyn looked at her, "No, what??"

Elise linked her arm through Devyn and they started towards her car. "You should marry that man".

Devyn laughed, "I am. Remember?"

"I mean this instant", Elise replied, holding the passenger door open for her. Devyn was determined to wait until after the baby was born.

Devyn shook her head. "I was a round maid-of-honor", she stated, speaking of her role in her mother's wedding to Henry just last month during Christmas. "I have no intention of being an equally round bride".

"You'd be a beautiful bride Devyn, regardless".

They drove together quietly for the first few minutes. Devyn sighed, breaking the silence. "Can I tell you something?"

"Of course", Elise answered. "You can tell me anything".

Devyn fell silent again. "I am going to go back to school, finish my degree. The only other person who knows is Jason".

It pleased her that Devyn would share this information with her. They were forming a bond of their own, the two of them. Over the past few months that bond grew stronger than the one which originally existed between them. "Good for you Devyn. There is no reason you shouldn't. And you know you have people who love and support you in your corner". Elise touched her hand as they pulled to a stop outside Westmore Industries. "People like Kori and I. And, that man right there", she added pointing to Jason, who stood outside the building. He waved and she waved back.

"I know. Thanks for the ride and the amazing spa treatment".

Elise leaned over and kissed her on the cheek, "You don't have to thank me. That is what friends are for". She enjoyed treated her besties to a spa day, even if she had to fight them to let her pay for the entire thing.

She watched Devyn as she exited the car and went to Jason. His dark trench coat hung open. Underneath it, he was dressed as he almost always was, in a business suit tailor made to fit, also dark. Devyn on the other hand was wearing a bright red coat and a cap with a barge of colors, her long wild curls hanging out from underneath. Jason reached out, tucking Devyn's scarf more securely around her then automatically, his hand rested on her tummy.

Elise smiled. They made quite the picture....a very beautiful one. Devyn found love, happiness and the closure of the past hurts that had plagued her life. Soon, Devyn would become a mother and a little while after, a wife.  She was happy for Devyn. Both titles suited her perfectly.

As she drove away, she thought again of her own life; it was exactly how she wanted it. She dated regularly and socialized constantly. She had V.I.P. status in every place her frequented from shops, restaurants to nightclubs were she dance until well past dawn. There were an ample amount of men at her disposal, eager to wine and dine her. She had two of the greatest best friends in the world and parents who adored her. Again, she wanted for nothing. Yes, life was exactly what she wanted it to be and she had no cause to change it.

****

Being back in the States after such a long absence, made Lukas feel like a foreigner. That feeling only intensified as he maneuvered through the earlier morning rush of Baltimore traffic.

It had been eight years since he left the U.S. to reside in the native country of his parents, who'd moved back to Germany after his father retired for good. At the time of his decision, he had thought it was best, having found himself in the most unexpected predicament.

A smile tugged at the corners of his mouth as he thought about his daughter, Mila.

Mila was his heart; an eight year old little sprite with both golden hair and aquamarine colored eyes just like his own. He never believed himself capable of loving someone so utterly completely until he held her in his arms for the first time. It didn't matter that she was born of one night of too much alcohol and two people who should have never touched each other, he loved her just the same.

He slept with Riley's sister. The thoughtless mistake cost him. He lost his best friend, his job and Mila was without a mother. The one that birth her was incapable of being one and frankly didn't care to be. Hannah walked out of the hospital, leaving Mila in his arms and back into her lifestyle of drinking and partying. Not once in eight years had she made an attempt to contact him.

He packed up his infant daughter, left Montana and headed to the only place he could think of, Germany. He was lucky to have his parents help him figure out how to navigate the road of fatherhood. Was he perfect at it? No, not be a long shot. But, then again, what parent was perfect? Parenthood consisted of many lessons learned and many still to be. His goal was to be careful in his choices and make decisions that were wise and beneficial to Mila. He hoped that his current one was just that.

Initially, he planned to turn down the job offer he received but the salary and benefits package were far better than what he currently had. Although work was stable in Hamburg, opportunities to advance were scarce, so he'd remained stagnant and unfulfilled. It was his father who encouraged him to look elsewhere. It was also his father who pointed out that maybe, just maybe, what he was seeking was outside of Germany.

So, here he was, back in the United States. In six weeks, his parents would return temporarily to bring Mila to him. Baltimore was enough of a distance from Montana to keep the past at bay. Not that he worried, if Hannah or anyone happened to come looking for trouble, he'd give them more than their fair share of it. The broken nose he gave Riley during their final encounter was a testament to that fact.

He pushed the memories of the ugly confrontation aside. It served him no purpose. He focused his attention on his task for the day, which was to secure a home for Mila and him.

He pulled to a stop outside the address he'd gotten off the ad he saw online for a rental property. The house was a quaint two-story structure located on a quiet tree-lined street. The atmosphere of the neighborhood immediately appeared to him. Communication with the owner was a series of emails last night ending with an appointment to see the house today.

Lukas unfolded himself from the car and walked up the steps. Before he touched the doorbell, the door opened quickly.

"You gotta be shitting me", the man on the other side said. "Lukas Weiss. When I saw the name in my email, I thought maybe it was a coincidence".

Lukas frowned.

"It really has been a long time, hasn't it", the man said noting Lukas didn't recognize him. "It's me, Aaron Matthews, from high school". He chuckled lightly when Lukas continued to stare at him. "School nerd, glasses....you came to my defense once, when the football team tried to stuff me in the lunchroom trash can".

Lukas relaxed, remembering. "Oh yeah", he said. "Sorry".

Aaron waved away his apology. "I know I look totally different. It's funny what success and a little confidence can do for a person. I moved away right after high school, came east to go to college and here I stayed. I started my own business, traded the glasses for contacts, started working out and the rest is history". He took a deep breath, "But I never forgot how you stood up for me".

Lukas nodded. He decided not to ruin the memory for Aaron by telling him he was just spoiling for a fight that day and his rescue was more about getting to bang a few heads together than being anyone's hero. "So, the house", he said instead.

"Yeah, the house", Aaron repeated. "Come on in".

Aaron gave him a tour. "It's has three bedrooms, one and a half baths......"  He trailed off. "It's yours if you want it", he said. "No credit or background check required; just the security deposit".

"Seventeen hundred a month, correct?" Lukas asked.

"Yes. I can go lower if you need".

"No. I'll take it".

After the transaction was completed Aaron left but not before inviting Lukas to stop in for drinks at a bar he owned across town. Lukas said he would think about it and accepted the card Aaron gave him with the name and address. He had no interest in socializing but was polite and friendly, thanking Aaron for the invitation before heading back to his hotel.

Come Monday, he'd start his job. He planned to spend the remainder of the current week buying furniture and moving into the house. He wanted everything in order by the time Mila arrived.

 

Sleep eluded him. The hotel room was dark and too quiet. Lukas sat up, running his hand through his hair. He turned on the table lamp; the card Aaron gave him lay in the night table. He picked up the card, staring at it. What the hell, he thought. Just one quick drink and then he'd come back.

 

 

 

 

Chapter 2 by kwajeraspen

Chapter 2

Elise whistled a happy tune as she rummaged through her closet for an outfit to where out. Tonight would be a party of two, just she and Kori.  There were others readily available to hang out with her but she was in the mood to spend her evening with someone dearer to her heart.

They were meeting at one of her favorite spots and as always, she planned to make one hell of an entrance. She selected a jaw dropping red dress with a deep cut neck line that showed off full breasts, which she were very proud to say were all her own . The dress clung to every curve of her body, stopping mid thigh to reveal her shapely legs. She added silver stilettos and matching jewelry.

Dressed, hair and make up completed, she surveyed herself. She never, ever left the house until she met the standard she set. Once she stamped herself with a seal of approval, she was off. She breezed through the house, passed her parents, stopping to give both a peck on the cheek.

"Going out?" Everett asked.

"Yes, daddy", Elise replied.

"Be safe", he called before the front door closed behind her.

 

Elizabeth Roberts shook her head at her husband. Ever since the day Elise was born, she had him wrapped around her finger. "When do you think you might have that little chat with her?"

"Soon", he replied.

"Soon", she repeated, emphasizing the word. The last credit card statement that came in showed an astronomical amount of activity. Clothing, jewelry, spa treatments....the list went on and on. Everett paid the bill without blinking. They had the money, yes but what, she wondered after years of spoiling their daughter, had they taught Elise about responsibility.

"You're beautiful, you know that?" He rose pulling her to her feet.

"Don't even try it Everett Lawrence Roberts", Elizabeth said.

"Try what?" He asked innocently.

"To distract me with a compliment", she answered. "It won't work".

Everett smiled then kissed her.

"Now that just might".

Both laughed then he kissed her again. He'd talk to Elise when the time was right.

****

Elise was more than a little disappointed when Kori failed to arrive. Finally after waiting over an hour for her, she received a text from Kori apologizing and stating that she was unable to make it.

Elise drained the remainder of the contents of her glass. She wasn't angry with Kori for standing her up, just annoyed. She huffed, who was she kidding? She was mad. Of late, Kori had been exhibiting rather strange behavior and this just provided that something was going on with her. It chewed at her nerve that Kori was being secretive and distant.

Damn it! This wasn't how she planned for her night to go. She signaled one of the hostesses and ordered two drinks, one for her and one in honor of the friend who stood her up. She sat back, polishing off both drinks, watching other people mingle and have a good time. More than once, she was asked to dance but her mood had grown odd and she rejected each offer.

She rose from the table, swaying, not off balance but to the beat of the music playing. She made her way to the center of the dance floor and continued to dance solo.

 

Lukas tried his best not to look but like every other male in the room, including Aaron, the battle was lost. He did not turn in his stool but watched her sultry dance through the mirror behind the bar. She danced in the center of the room; the dim overhead light glowing softly above her. The red dress she wore complimented her honey colored skin, showing off her tiny waist and the curves of her slender form.

Her eyes were closed, as if she blocked out everyone there and danced only for herself. He almost believed she did until those eyes opened and connected with his through the mirror.

Elise smiled alluringly. She'd spotted him when she stepped onto the dance floor. He was watching; she knew he would be. She stopped dancing, walked towards the bar.

Lukas saw her coming; his hand tightened around the beer mug he held. Bell and whistles went off inside his head, a warning but when she came to stand beside him, they ceased. "Dance with me", she whispered close to his ear; her eyes still holding his through the glass. They were hazel he noted.

He gulped down the rest of his beer and rose. Elise knew he wouldn't refuse her; no one ever did. My God he was a huge man, she thought as he towered over her. His arms were a mass of large sculpted muscles. She touched one; her fingers barely wrapped half way around. 

Lukas eyes traveled from her to where her delicate hand touched his skin. The contrast between the brown of her skin and the cream of his, appealed to him; everything about her appealed to him at the moment. He allowed her to lead him out onto the dance floor.

The music changed to something slow and sexy. She brushed her body against him. His hands circled her waist and they moved together.

 

His mouth covered hers kissing her fully on the lips then his tongue slipped between them. She tasted just how her skin looked, like honey. He didn't recall how they ended up back at his hotel room. And when her hands snaked underneath his shirt to spread across the expanse of his chest, he forgot to care.

He broke their kiss, pulling his shirt over his head. Naughty hazel eyes watched him. They were green he noted with flecks of brown and they were beautiful; she was beautiful. He tossed his shirt aside, plunging his hands into her hair. The strands were like silk, brown in a shade that almost matched her skin.

His hands slid from her hair, down the column of her neck, across her shoulders, taking the straps of her dress with them, exposing her from the waist up. He groaned openly, cupping one of her breasts in his hand and stoking her nipple with his thumb. A breathy moan escaped her lips.

Her arms circled his neck as he lifted her and laid her down on the bed. He covered her body with his, kissing her again, thoroughly. When their lips parted again, both where breathing heavily. The weight of him crushed her but she welcomed it; the feel enhancing her desire.

Lukas stared at her. He didn't even know her name he realized. That fact was like being splashed with a bucket of cold water. He rolled off of her onto his back. What the hell was he doing?

His next thought was of his daughter. Appalled by his lack of judgment, he rose to his feet. "This was a mistake", he said without looking at her. He bent down and scooped his shirt off the floor, pulling it back on.

"What?" She sat up, fixing her dress.

"You need to go, now".

****

Monday morning, Elise received a summons from her father to coming to his office to see him. She peppered him with questions as to why he wanted to see her but he put her off, stating that her presence what not a request but an order.

As Elise drove to the downtown office where Robert's Construction and Engineering was located, she wondered what had gotten into him. Her father never commanded her to do anything. Even as she rode the elevator to the floor where his office was located, she still wondered. And as she arrived at his office door, still.

She knocked softly then entered without waiting for him to give his okay. She smiled and greeted him as she always did, with a kiss on his cheek, "Hi daddy".

Everett tried not to be affected by the affection she showed or that innocent way she always called him daddy. He cleared his throat, "Sit down Elise. I need to talk to you".

She took a seat, folding her hands in her lap. "Is something wrong?"

Everett nodded, "Yes". He reached into his desk and pulled out an envelope, pushing it across the desk. "I want you to take a look at that".

Elise picked up the envelope reading the front; it was from the credit card company.

"Go on", Everett said. "Read what's inside".

Elise removed the piece of paper, unfolding it to find that it was a bill. She scanned it then folded it again. "It's a bill".

"Yes, it is", Everett replied. "Did you see the amount?"

She had.

Everett sighed. Clearly she was unaffected. Elizabeth was right, Elise's spending was out of control and she felt not one ounce of responsibility for it. "The one thing that I strive for more than anything is for my family to be well taken care of".

"We are", Elise responded.

"I'm not finished. It warms my heart to know that I have given you a good life. But, it also saddens me that maybe I have not given you the proper tools to survive in this world". He rose, coming to sitting on the edge of the desk in front of her. "You're irresponsible Elise, something that is not good for an adult to be. I think that it is time for some serious changes to be made".

Irresponsible; changes to be made! Elise listened to the words coming from her father but her mind couldn't process them. "What are you saying; that you are cutting me off?"

"No", Everett answered shaking his head. "But, you will start to take some responsibility. Effective immediately, you will be working for the company".

Elise looked at her father as if he'd just grown two heads. "Come again?"

"Work Elise, it is a word older than you or even I. You are a smart, capable young woman, with a degree in business I might add. It is time you put that degree to use".

"But...."

"No buts. You will report to me here tomorrow to find out what division you will be working in", he rose again.

"Daddy".

"Don't daddy me. I won't change my mind".

The intercom beeped. "Mr. Roberts. Lukas Weiss has arrived", his assistant announced.

"Send him in", Everett said. He pulled Elise to her feet. "Tomorrow, 9 o'clock sharp", he informed her, ignoring her pouty face.

There was a knock on the door. "Come in", he called out.

Lukas entered. Everett greeted him with a warm handshake. "Mr. Weiss".

Lukas shook his hand but his attention was on the woman standing beside him. It was her, the woman from the club.

"This is my daughter, Elise", Everett continued. "Elise, this is Lukas Weiss, my new Project Manager. He has an impressive background and we are lucky to have him coming on board".

It was him, the man from the other night. He'd rejected her. She tried to push that night out of her mind but she couldn't. For several nights after, her mind wandered towards the feel of his lips against hers, his large hands on her skin. He'd wanted her, just as much as she'd wanted him, she was sure it. She didn't as a habit sleep with strange men but there had been something that drew them together. And, it wasn't the alcohol, in their systems. 

Elise stepped forward and shook Lukas's hand. "Welcome to Robert's Construction". 

Lukas took the hand she offered. "Thank you Ms. Roberts". His voice friendly but his eyes flat and emotionless.

She gave her father another kiss on the cheek. "I will see you tomorrow".

Lukas willed himself not to look at her as she passed by. His mind was reeling. She was the boss's daughter and he'd almost slept with her. He hadn't known of course but he was thankful that he'd come to his senses before it was too late. He touched her once; he would not be repeating his error, ever again.

Elise closed the office door behind her. Ms. Roberts? Did he really address her as Ms. Roberts?

Incensed, she marched towards the elevator. If he thought that he could touch her the way he did then just treat her like a non-entity, he had another thing coming. Nobody treated her that way; nobody.

 

 

Chapter 3 by kwajeraspen
Author's Notes:

Happy Birthday WWE (Latrina)....as promised, here is your birthday present..Enjoy. We've been riding together, supporting each other through these sites since 2007. Love you girl! Enjoy All!

Chapter 3:

 

"Ms. Green is currently unavailable".

Elise huffed, "When will she be available?"

"I cannot say for certain, she is in a meeting", the reception replied.

"Thank you", Elise mumbled before disconnecting the call. She needed to talk, to vent her frustrations and she needed an ear to bend. Devyn's was out of the question. The last thing she wanted was to burden her with her problems.

She was still reeling from the events of that morning. Her father always covered her expenses without question. And out of nowhere, he hits her with talk about responsibility and tools for survival. Over what, a credit card bill? Now, he was making her work. She wasn't afraid or incapable of working. Eventually she would have but she thought she'd do so after she enjoyed the spoils of being a young woman in her twenties. She just turned twenty-six the latter part of last year, she foresaw herself having four more years of the carefree life that he allowed her all this time. Tools for survival! She knew how to survive. She did!

Her father wasn't the only one who rubbed her nerve. Her mother, she learned, had not only agreed with her father, she encouraged him.

Last but not least there was Lukas Weiss with his flat, formal greeting. He pissed her off royally. She didn't believe for one second that he was unaffected by seeing her, just as he was not unaffected when he first set eyes on her the other night. There wasn't a man she'd encountered who didn't want her; Lukas was no exception. Yes, he kicked her out of his hotel room that night. But he had also invited her there, hadn't he?

The frown she currently wore turned upside down; a light turning on inside her head. She had the perfect solution to her frustrations. She'd do as her father requested and work for the company, earning her way back into her parents' good graces. And, in the process, she'd maneuver herself into a position to be close to Lukas.

Lukas Weiss needed to be taught a lesson about whom he was dealing with. She'd prove beyond a reasonable doubt that she was not a woman he could just turn off a switch and forget about. If she had to work, fine. But, she was going to have fun while she did it. Seducing Lukas would provide her with just that.

She turned up the volume on her radio and nodded her head to the music, celebrating all the way home.

****

Lukas cradled the phone patiently listening to Mila as she went on and went, giving him every detail of the events over the past week and a half. She spoke rapidly, her light angelic voice sounded like music to his ears.

He missed her terribly, hating that he wasn't there to tuck her in at night or drive her to school in the mornings. She would be joining in soon, he reminded himself. The house was almost completely furnished now. The last of the furniture would be delivered by the end of the week, which was for her bedroom. He pictured the smile that would bloom on her cherub little face when she saw her room was decorated in her favorite colors, pink and yellow.

"Ich vermisse Sie Tochter", he said when she finally stopping chattering away.

"Ich vermisse Sie Vater", she replied.

"We will be together again soon", he said, switching to English. "It's going to be okay, you'll see", he added when she did not respond. He understood how hard the transition was going to be for her. Everything she was accustomed to was in Germany, her grandparents, her school, her friends. More than once, he second guessed he decision to uproot her. "I love you".

"Ich liebe dich", she replied sleepily.

Mila was raised in a bilingual household and was capable of repeating his words in English but this was her way of holding on just a little to what she had. Lukas allowed her to have her way for now.

"Gute nacht", he said softly.

"Gute nacht vater".

Lukas held the phone until he heard the click on the other end. He replaced the phone and stared up at the ceiling, thinking of what an incredible gift she was. He could not imagine not loving her. How could anyone not love her instantly?

He mind wandered to Hanna. She just handed Mila to him and walked away. She hadn't even bothered to give the child she'd carried for nine months a name. The only reason she hadn't rid herself of the pregnancy was because he had begged and threatened. "You wanted her, she's all yours", she'd said then she was gone.

Hanna's entire world centered on her; she was too selfish to love anyone else. She was wild and she was spoiled; trouble with a capital T. But, he'd known this, hadn't he? Still he'd been attracted to her. She'd made it known that she was attracted to him as well. Then came that night, when neither was in enough of their right mind to walk away instead of acting on their desires.

History nearly repeated itself the other night.

Elise reminded him so much of Hanna. She was equally, if not more beautiful. Comfortable with her sex appeal and bold in the knowledge that she possessed it. She'd put herself on display, dancing in the middle of the club the way she had. And as she'd known, everyone watched her, including him. Everything about her that night set of warnings but his better judgment lost; well, almost. He had come to his senses before it was too late.

Thank God that he had since she turned out to be the daughter of his new employer. If not, his encounter with her would have been a far more awkward.  He dodged a major bullet.

From this point on he made a proclamation to steer clear of alcohol. Oh yeah, and women who stirred his less than practical impulses; even if they did taste like honey (and she had...Elise). He frowned, shaking the thought from his head. They were nothing but trouble for him.

****

Lukas reported to the offices of Roberts Construction bright and early the following morning for a meeting with Everett. Also present at the meeting was the foreman for office building the company was contracted to erect in Rosedale.

Everett forwarded him all the necessary paperwork to bring him up to speed on the project before his arrival in the States. Lukas was aware that the original completion date was three months ago but was pushed back due to various issues which led to the dismissal of the former Project Manager.

Lukas was very clear on the task that awaited him and of Everett's expectations. Everett was firm, Lukas noted, but he was also fair.  He was the kind of man that hastily terminated his employees. He did not press for more information regarding his predecessor. He focused his attention on getting the job done. And he would, get the job done. 

He was use to hard work and the pressures of deadlines to be met. He'd dealt with set backs professionally and personally from which he'd arisen strong, better and wiser. More importantly, he was damned determined to maintain stability for himself and for Mila. So, failure was not an option for him.

Once the meeting concluded, he and the foreman, he now knew as Paul, left Everett's office to head to the job site. He pushed the button for the elevator and the doors opened, revealing Elise inside.

"Good morning gentleman", Elise said flashing them with a smile as she exited the elevator.

"Good morning", Lukas mumbled in unison with Paul's more enthusiastic greeting. He spoke without looking directly at her.

No sooner than the elevator doors closed, Paul whistled. "Damn if she isn't a sight to see. The man that gets to touch her is one lucky son-of-a-bitch".

Lukas stiffened, cutting his eyes at Paul who stood several inches shorter.

Paul's face reddened. "You're not going to tell her old man I said that, are you?"

Lukas could've almost laughed at his question. Who was he to say anything? He had touched her. It was and would remain his secret. If he could have his, Paul was surely entitled to have his own. "No", he said. "But I'd advise you to steer clear and keep thoughts like that to yourself".

He hoped Paul heeded his words.

****

Elise entered her father's office with a spring in her step. "Hi daddy", she said, beaming like a 1000 watt bulb. She rounded the desk before his could rise and planted a kiss on his cheek.

Everett studied his daughter carefully. "You're awfully cheerful this morning".

Elise continued to smile. "Yes, I am".

Everett did rise then, taking her hand. "You do understand why I had to do this don't you?"

"I get it", Elise said. "I might not fully agree but I will full cooperate".

Everett gave her hand a gentle squeeze then releasing it. "I am pleased". Her cooperation came too easily but he did not question it, yet. "I had time to consider where you were best suited in the office and that is here, by my side", he continued.

"Do you really think that best?" Elise asked.

"Of course I do. What better place than here with me?"

Elise shook her head, "I love you daddy but no. You made this big speech about responsibility and blah, blah. How responsible would I be with you looking over my shoulder and picking up the pieces for me?" She raised her hand to stop him from replying. "You and I both know you will, so do not try to deny it". She sighed. "I thought about this long and hard after I left yesterday and I want to work on-site over in Rosedale".

Everett frowned. "What do you know about the construction in Rosedale?"

"I pay more attention than you think. I know the completion date back due to problems and that's why you hired a Project Manager".

Everett folded his hands. "Absolutely not Elise", he said firmly.

"You're thinking like a father not like a businessman", Elise stated. "You need a Business Administrator there, someone to be your eyes and ears. I can keep track of the paperwork, oversee the finances and keep you apprised of everything going on on-site; something you didn't have in place before. I'd feel useful there and you could rest assure you have someone in place to watch out for your interests".

"You make a good argument", Everett said, considering.

 

Elise waited until she was alone in her car to do her triumphant happy dance. Her father relented and she would be working on-site with Lukas. She'd do as she promised and look out for his interest; it did matter to her. But she could not help but celebrate.....phase one of her plan was a success.

That evening Kori returned her call and invited her out to dinner. "Okay, what gives?" She asked sitting across from her friend and their favorite restaurant. "You've been in a weird mood for weeks".

"No I haven't".

Elise raised an eyebrow. "The secret phone calls, always rushing off somewhere; hard to get a hold of", she pointed out.

"My job is demanding. You'd understand if you had to work for a living".

"No need to get defensive. I'm worried about you".

Kori sighed, "You don't have to worry, okay. This marketing campaign I am working on is very time consuming". She pushed her salad around on her plate with her fork. "I'm sorry about the working comment. That was cheap shot".

"It was but effective today it no longer applies", Elise announced.

"Come again?"

"The past few days have been unreal", Elise said. She filled Kori in on her conversation with her father and her mother; told her about the credit card bill. And, she told her what she'd be doing for Robert's Construction. She left out the incident with Lukas, knowing full well what Kori would think of her actions. Kori was the mother hen of their trio. She scolded and advised both she and Devyn. She'd surely give her an earful, if she told her she went home with Lukas the night Kori stood her up. Kori would have a lot more to say if she told her what she was planning next.

Kori shook her head, "Would you hate me if I burst into laughter?"

"Probably", Elise said. "Go ahead, you know you want to".

Kori did. "I'm sorry", she said again afterwards. "This is classic. Mr. Roberts put the hammer down on you".

Elise laughed, "I change my mind. I do hate you".

"You love me, girly", Kori shot back.

"To pieces", Elise replied. She liked see the light dance in Kori's eyes; it had been missing for some time now. "If something was wrong, you'd tell me and Devyn, right?" She asked, seriously.

"Yes". Kori reached across the table, "Definitely". She'd kick herself later for lying but she didn't want them worrying about her.

"Okay. Let's get out of here; I have to report to work early tomorrow". She signaled the waiter. "It's on me", she said when Kori reached into her purse.

"See, that's what got your ass in trouble in the first place", Kori reminded her. "Dinner is on me tonight. You can treat me when you get your first paycheck".

She still had access to her funds, Elise thought. Her next thought was....would she get a paycheck?

****

Lukas gathered the crew together for a quick run through of how he planned to move forward with the completion of the project. Everett was expecting the new deadline to be met without any hiccups and he was determined to see that happen.

Elise stepped onto the site. There he was, standing before the crew, donning jeans, a work jacket and a hard hat. He stood head and shoulders above most of them and she was reminded how her heart had raced when he rose from the bar stool to tower over her.

She stayed where she was watching him as he gave his encouraging speech and then handed out orders. The men dispersed and he turned, heading into the trailer that acted as the on-site office space. A smile tugged at one corner of her mouth then she started towards the trailer.

Lukas removed his jacket and placed it over the back of his chair before sitting down. The space was completely disorganized. It was no wonder how things got so screwed up here. Well, the tide was going to turn, favorably, he'd see to it. And, the call he received for Everett earlier, stating that he was sending him some assistance was welcomed and appreciated.

Elise entered the office, knocking lightly on the door.

Lukas stared at her, "What are you doing here?"

Elise removed her coat, revealing a short fitted black skirt and a well fitted white blouse.  Lukas averted his eyes.

Elise walked over to the empty desk, draped her coat over the chair and sat. "Today is your lucky day, Mr. Weiss. I am your new Business Administrator".

 

Funny, Lukas thought, he didn't feel lucky.

End Notes:

Notes:

Ich vermisse Sie - I miss you

Ich liebe dich - I love you

Vater - Father

Tochter - Daughter

Gute Nacht - Good Night

Chapter 4 by kwajeraspen

Chapter 4:

Elise spent the remainder of the morning alone in the office. Lukas left shortly after she arrived, mumbling something about checking in with the foreman. He had yet to return. She rose, walking around the tiny trailer. As she did, she took note of its current state of disarray. She began going through the stack of files sitting atop the file cabinet. Some contained purchase orders, expense reports, employee timesheets and contracts. She took the stack over to her desk and sorted through each file, reorganizing the contents so that they were in order. She labeled the files then she began to place them in the file cabinet, which she labeled as well.

She stood back, observing the space again, once she'd finished filing. Well, her day did not go according to how she might have preferred but she managed to accomplish something....actual work. And, she didn't feel the slightest bit out of sorts about that. In fact, she was quite pleased with herself.

In addition, she got a first hand look at the lost her father suffered from the set backs due to the previous project manager. Over spending, equipment issues, heavy crew turn over, less than stellar work; it was all there in black and white. The project would be completed, she knew her father would make certain of it. However, regardless to whether the new deadline was able to be met, the out of pocket expense her father was going to endure could not be recovered.

She sat frowning. Everett Roberts was an upstanding man; a good one. He was fair and honest. He cared greatly about the people he employed. It bothered her that not every employee appreciated those qualities in an employer.

That was how Lukas found her when he finally decided to venture back to the trailer at the end of the day. As soon as he stepped inside, he noticed the changes. "I'll be damned", he thought. It actually looked like an office. He walked to his desk and sat, flipping open one of the files now neatly stacked on his desk.

 Elise lifted her hazel eyes, studying him. What kind of man is Lukas Weiss?  She asked herself.

He was not afraid of hard work, she thought, noting the traces of construction debris on his jacket. And, he wasn't afraid to be a leader; she'd seen that first hand in the way he immediately took charge of the work crew. He also possessed passion, of which she sampled before he abruptly stopped and booted her out of his hotel room. And a sense of control, she added. What, she wondered, was he like when he was completely out of control? Excitement bubbled inside her at the prospect of finding out.

Lukas felt her watching him. He lowered the file and their eyes locked. Elise leaned back in her chair, crossing her legs. "So, what do you think?"

Lukas straightened at her question. Memories of their encounter filled his mind. He forced them out. "Of what?" He asked.

"Of this project and the prospect of meeting the new deadline", Elise replied.

"I have my work cut out but I will", he said with confidence.

"I've no doubt. You seem like a man who knows how to get the job done".

Lukas refrained from commenting, leaving her last statement to hang in the air between them. He stood. "Thank you for taking the time to straighten this place up. Good night Ms. Roberts", he said then left without another word.

Elise rose, peaking out the window. His long strides ate up the distance from the trailer to the parking lot. He couldn't get away from her fast enough. Good, she thought, smiling. That just proves that he was affected by her.

She whistled as she slipped into her coat and locked up for the night. Her plan was going to work out quite nicely.

As she was leaving, she heard a noise over by the construction area. She paused, her eyes darting back and forth. She ordered her legs to move and she hurried across the lot to her car. Before driving off, she checked around and saw no one.

****

The work week was fast coming to an end. Thursday was here and starting off with a bang for Lukas. He slept in snatches most of the week; his mind clouded with thoughts. And, this morning he stepped onto the site to discover that he was short a crewman, several hand tools were missing and two of the Backhoe Loaders were down. He spent the better part of the morning arranging tow trucks to pick them up and haul them to the mechanic.  To make matters worse, he had to spare other crewman to go pick up replacement tools.

When Elise had arrived at the office, she noticed he was not in the best of moods. He exited as she entered leaving her alone again as usual. She turned the blinds so that she could look out her window. There he was, working side by side with the crew.

She twiddled her thumbs as she watched him. Lukas was different from her usual taste in men. He was handsome of course, which always appealed to her. And, the man was built like a Greek God. But, she was never interested in the rugged, blue collar type before; her preference leaning more toward suit and tie guys. The exception being Keith, but even he owned his own restaurant in New York. And, she certainly never stepped as far out of her character as she had with Lukas. Sure, plenty of men invited her home but she always turned them down. She considered herself a prize to be won, yet with Lukas, she'd gone without hesitation.

She pushed away from the desk. She was thinking far too much of Lukas, when what she wanted was for him to be thinking of her. This would not do; not at all. In order for her plan to move along she and Lukas needed to spend more than a few seconds together. It was obvious Lukas was making that difficult.

He was holding fast to disproving he had any interest in her and she was holding fast to disproving that he did not. Currently, she found herself at a stalemate and trying to figure out how to out maneuver him yet again.

Lukas was causing her to tread on extremely unfamiliar ground. She wasn't sure she like that very much and that fueled her determination to see her plan to fruition.

The telephone rang, interrupting her thoughts before she could analyze that last statement any further.  "Robert's Construction", she answered in a cheerful voice.

"Hey baby girl".

A wide smile spread across her face. Her father hadn't called her baby girl in years. "Hi Daddy".

"How are things going over there?" He asked. He'd hardly seen her all week.

"Good. Lukas seems to have everything under control". There was a stretch of silence between them. "Why didn't you mention the problems you were having here?"

"Because there was no sense worrying anyone", he replied.

"I saw the reports. You won't recover your expenses".

"Some factors are more important than money Elise; like the reputation of this company. I signed a contract, made a promise. I will hold to both", Everett stated. "Do not concern yourself further. This is not the first time a deadline could not be met. It is the nature of the business. But, I do appreciate that you actually care".

"Did you think that I didn't?" Elise asked.

"Honestly, I do not know. Your focus is always on spending the money, not how it is made".

"Thanks", she replied dryly.

"It is not my intent to hurt your feeling, you know that".

"I do", she agreed. "And you are right", she added, thinking of the astronomical credit card bill he presented to her right before he announced that she going to start working for the company. He was right. She never gave one thought to what it took for him to run a company, only concerning herself with having money consistently at her disposal.  "The punishment suits the crime perfectly".

"Punishment?" Everett sighed, "Oh Elise, this isn't punishment. I am guiding you in the direction I should have long ago. Who do you suppose will take over the family business when I am gone? It will be you sweetheart. You have the intelligence to run the company; however, it takes more than wits. Now, you need to understand the responsibility that comes with it. Caring about the financial state of this project is a step in the right direction. I couldn't be happier".

The conversation with her father left Elise in a pretty good mood. They found some common ground in the next phase of their father/daughter relationship; she too could not be happier. She delved into punching numbers into the spreadsheet on her computer, from the documents Lukas left on her desk without word or instruction. As she typed, she hummed a little tune.

Lukas heard the humming as he opened the door and stepped inside. She was standing at the file cabinet, swaying her hips in time with the song. His hand tightened around the knob. He stepped backwards out of the trailer, closing the door quietly. 

Back at the work site, he pushed himself hard, working like a madman. Every so often, he caught himself glancing across the lot at the trailer. Inside was the source of his restless nights, he admitted to himself.  Somehow, no matter how hard he tried, she managed to creep into his dreams; he felt her, tasted her. Then, he'd fight his way out, reminding himself that she was taboo for so many reasons.

What was with him, he scolded. She was only a woman; one that was bad for him. Surely he was stronger than his urges. Hadn't he already proven that? Maybe not, his inner voice whispered. Why else did he turn tail and run just now. He didn't run, he argued. Of course he did. The knowledge of it pissed him off.

****

 The telephone rang. The call was from the mechanic Roberts's Construction retained to care for all of their equipment. He phoned to speaking with Lukas regarding the Backhoe Loaders that were sent to the shop earlier. Elise wasn't aware of the problem but assured him that she was more than capable of handling the call. When he'd insisted on speaking with Lukas, she announced that she was Everett Roberts's daughter and he was instantly cooperative, giving her the information.

The loaders, according to the mechanic, did not malfunction. They had been pampered with; the fuel lines were cut. The hydraulic systems tanks were damaged as well, both the main and the reserve; small holes punched into them. Someone wanted those vehicles off-line.

 A little more than disturbed when the call ended, Elise immediately left the office to go find Lukas. Once she was half way across the small lot, the chill of the February air reminded her that she hadn't thought grab her coat. The wind and cold cut through her dress gone straight to her bones.

Lukas saw her coming in that damnable black dress; he wasn't alone. The crewmen closest to him halted unable to focus on their work. "Eyes front and center", Lukas barked, startling them. He set down his drill, cursing under his breath.

He moved fast, looking much like an angry jungle cat as he marched toward her. Elise took a step back, the heel of her shoe caught in the dirt and she went off balance. He steadied her with one hand, using his 6'3", 220 pound frame to block her from view as he did. His brow knit together as he gave her the once over.

Her cheeks were flushed and she was visibly shivering. Little white puffs of cold air blew from between her parted lips.  The crease in his brow deepened. He began walking, pulling her back to the trailer. Elise's feet moved quickly, trying to keep pace with his long strides.

He yanked open the door and dragged her inside, kicking the door closed with his foot. He released her then grabbed her coat from behind her desk and passed it to her. "Go home, you're done for the day", he told her.

"What?" Elise asked, caught off guard.

"I said you're done for the day, leave". He pulled the door open again. "And, don't come back here dressed like that again. You do and I will toss you outta here literally". He slammed out of the trailer.

Elise huffed, shoving her arms in to the sleeves of her coat and followed him. "You can't order me around", Elise informed him. "You are not my boss".

Lukas turned abruptly, walking back to her. "The hell I'm not", he said. "This is my work site".

 "My father....."

"Hired me to do a job", Lukas interjected, "One that has already seen a fair share of complications".

"I am well aware of that", Elise pointed out.

"Then tell me, Ms. Roberts. Are you a part of the solution or just another problem?"

Elise placed her hand on his arm to stop him from walking away again. "The fuel lines were cut", she announced.

"What?"

"The mechanic called. The fuel lines on both loaders were cut and he says the hydraulic systems were tampered with", Elise told him. "Someone wanted them out of commission". She let go of his arm.

Lukas swore out loud this time and started towards the parking lot. Elise followed. "Where are you going?" She asked.

"To have a chat with the mechanic", he responded. He climbed into his truck. Elise slid into the passenger seat. "Where are you going?" He asked, repeating her question.

"With you", Elise replied. "And do not argue with me because I am going with or without you".

****

Mitchell Simms was a portly man, short in stature with white hair and a face that always seemed to be beet red. He'd been the sole mechanic for Robert's Construction before Everett took over the reigns.

Lukas didn't know him; however, upon meeting him he sensed Mitchell was a stand up guy. Mitchell reiterated everything he told Elise over the telephone. He also showed Lukas and Elise the clean cut fuel lines and the punctures in the hydraulic tanks.

Was this the work of a disgruntled former Project Manager? Both questioned in silence as they drove back to the site.

Lukas parked beside Elise's car. "A few nights ago, when I was leaving I heard something near the construction area", she said. "I told myself it was probably my imagination".  With two vehicles damaged and missing tools, her theory of it being imaginary was clearly incorrect.

"My father needs to be told", Elise added.

"I am going to speak with him in the morning". He hopped out of the truck, rounded it. He opened the door for her and helped her out without much contemplation of the action.

Elise placed her hand in his. No sooner than the contact was made, her mind drifted back. His slightly calloused fingers, she recalled, had felt like silk running along her skin. And his kisses were sinfully thorough; the kind that made a woman look forward to being devoured.

She looked at him, the way she had when they danced together. Lukas released her hand, taking a step back. He shoved his hands into the pockets of his jeans. "I'll see you tomorrow".

Elise nodded.

"And remember what I said before about your state of dress".

If his words were meant to reinforce his threat from earlier, they lacked the heat to be effective.

She watched him go rejoin the work crew. Inside her car, she kicked herself. Something had passed between them just then and she hadn't acted on it. She placed her hand against her chest, realizing that her heart was racing wildly. What was the matter with her? 

Chapter 5 by kwajeraspen

Chapter 5:

 

Friday.....

Lukas arrived at the offices of Roberts's Construction and Engineering just after 9:00am to speak with Everett. He filled Everett in on Mitchell's findings.  He also expressed his concerns regarding the missing tools and dismissal of his predecessor. Unbeknownst to him prior to accepting the position of Project Manager, there was more controversy surrounding Daniel Oliver's termination than he had been informed of.

No one came right out and told him anything specific; however, several hints had come his way. Most of the hints were from the foreman, Paul. According to Paul, Daniel began displaying unusual behavior almost from the beginning.

"Daniel was someone I believed I could trust", Everett began. "I've known him for many years, prior to bring him on board at Roberts's Construction and Engineering; or so I thought".

Everett studied Lukas carefully, making a choice whether or not to share vital information with him. "Daniel Oliver is currently in custody", he stated. "Not only did he turn out to be a liar and a thief, he apparently didn't think it important to pay his taxes. I learned of his arrest when I filed my own charges against him". 

"How long has he been behind bars?" Lukas asked knowing that he was not going to like the answer.

"Long enough not have been able to sabotage equipment or take tools", Everett replied.

"Which means someone else did".

Everett rose. "I often wondered if Daniel acted alone. I had not proof that he did not but because of my concerns, I decided to use an unconventional approach to replacing him; hiring someone not only outside of the state, but outside of the country seemed safe enough to ensure that there were no ties to Daniel or anyone working under him".

"You don't trust your work crew?"

 "Some of those men have worked for me for well over fifteen years, others are new. Do I trust them? I want to. Yet, I cannot help but continue to wonder". Everett sighed. "Winter construction, as you are aware, is costly in itself, compound that with someone working against this project and I have a contract that will be fulfilled at a tremendous lost to me. It isn't so much the monetary aspect, though I will suffer quite a blow. It is the mar on the reputation of my company that I do not take lightly".

"Understandable", Lukas replied.

"I'm glad you say so because, I need your help. If someone is trying to halt this project, I want to find out who and why".

Lukas frowned, "I'm a construction worker Mr. Roberts, not a spy. I am not comfortable with the idea of sneaking around gathering information".

"I realize this is not what you signed on for Lukas. But, you manage this crew and you observe their performance and behavior. Who better to information me if any suspicions arise?"

Everett, despite his attempts, looked out of sorts, Lukas noticed. He took a deep breath. "If I see or hear anything out of the norm I will report it to you", he bargained. However, by no means was he going to go looking for suspects.

Everett nodded, "Thank you Lukas".  He held out his hand. "What I've shared...."

"Stays between us", Lukas finished, shaking his hand.

"Thank you, again Lukas. I know it is a lot to ask".

****

He should have said no, Lukas told himself as he drove back to Rosedale. Everett was right. Sabotage, scandal and spying were not what he signed on for.

None of this fit into his vision of the new life he wanted to build for himself and Mila. Stability, better opportunities and the assurance of a happy home were his focal points. How was he to continue to provide those if he found himself drowning in chaos?

Why deal with the hassle? He didn't before.

Avoiding trouble was one of the two defining factors which sent him packing, Mila in arms, to Germany. Hanna could give a dam about a relationship with Mila but Riley and their parents made it very clear that they did. Hanna's parents had even gone so far as to suggest that they would fight for custody. The situation was volatile; he'd already broken Riley's nose. He did what was best; he left before he did something he could not take back.

Lukas sighed. Trouble seemed to have found him again. Maybe he should cut and run; return to Germany and rethink his decision to uproot Mila. Under these conditions, the idea was very appealing. However, bailing out on a commitment didn't sit well with him. And, he was not a quitter, not by nature.

Lukas drummed his fingers against the stirring wheel. What he needed to do, he concluded, was take control of his situation. And, he knew exactly where to start.

 

Elise peeked out the window for the hundredth time. She told herself she was not looking for Lukas specifically, yet when she saw his truck pull into the lot she bubbled with excitement. It was the anticipation of poking another hole in that armor of his that set her heart to fluttering, right? Of course it is, she mumbled.

No sooner than Lukas stepped inside the trailer, she rose, resisting the urge to run her hands over the plain white shirt she wore with her jeans. The outfit was far more casual then her normal style but it was comfortable. More importantly, it fell into the category of "appropriate attire" for the worksite. She'd planned to defy Lukas's demand she change her state of dress then she decided to cooperate, thinking of the talk she'd had with her mother after her father announced she was going to work for the company.

"You catch more flies with honey than you do with sour milk", her mother had said when they discussed her father's decision. At the time, she thought it was the silliest statement she ever heard. Now, she finally understood. Keeping Lukas on the run was not going to work in her favor; making him comfortable around her would provide her with a better chance to spend more time in his presence.

"How did the talk with my father go?" She asked.

Lukas's eyes swept over her. She wore blue jeans and a plain white shirt; on her feet were low-heeled shoes. Her hair was pulled back away from her face into a ponytail and her make up minimal. What she wore today was the complete opposite of how she dressed before. She looked approachable, non-threatening, until he noticed how her jeans molded against the shape of her legs and the curve of her hips.

He could do nothing to stop the arousal that burned in his blood. His shaft grew thick, heavy. The hardness pressed uncomfortably against the front of his jeans.

Lukas bit back the stream of curse words on the tip of his tongue. So much for taking control! Thank the high heavens he was wearing his coat and not his work jacket. The coat covered enough of him to hide his erection. "Fine", he replied tightly.

"Fine?" Elise questioned. "What does that mean?"

Lukas spun around. "It means it's being looked into", he answered flinging open the door. ""I'm heading to the work site".

"Wait". Elise stepped from behind the desk but he was already gone. She went to the door, which he'd left wide open. "Are you coming back?"

"No".

Elise stared at his back as he walked away. Something about his movement was off, awkward. She closed the door frowning. What the hell just happened?

He was a man of his word, Elise would give him that. He did not return to the trailer at all, not even at the end of day. She rubbed her forehead. No one ever frustrated her as much as Lukas Weiss. What she imagined would be a fun game of seduction was turning into a game of cat and mouse, with her taking on the role of the cat; a first for her.   

As she thought on her situation, she closed up for the evening. By the time she reached the parking lot, only three vehicles remained; her car, a blue pick-up truck and Lukas's black truck.

"Good evening Ms. Roberts", Elise jumped, startled. She turned, "Paul, hi".

Paul smiled, running his fingers over his close cut brown hair. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you".

"It's okay". She looked towards the work site. "Working late?"

Paul shrugged, "Just pitching in as much as I can. We all are. Lukas finally forced me to get outta here for the night".

Elise offered no comment.

"Well, you have yourself a good evening Ms. Roberts".

Elise smiled, "You too". She climbed into her car.

The minute Paul was gone she climbed out again and made a bee-line straight for the work site. She found Lukas walking about. He looked to be inspecting the structure. "Aren't you the dedicated Project Manger", she said lightly, ignoring the scowl on his face.

"Why are you still here Ms. Roberts?" Lukas asked.

"My name is Elise", she corrected, coming to a halt in front of him. "We are far too familiar with one another for formalities, don't you think?"

He didn't want to think anything, especially after his adolescent reaction earlier. The distance and the relentless amount of work he put in had aided him in gathering himself. But he'd ached for quite some time before he was able to will way the desire to bury himself inside her.

Damn if it did not threaten to return standing here with her now.  "What do you want from me?" He spoke quietly.

"Do you have ask Lukas?" She took the risk and reached up, touching his cheek. "We both felt something that night, didn't we? We still do". She searched his face. "Tell me I'm wrong".

Lukas stared into her hazel eyes. The overhead lights on the walkway above, shone down allowing him to see the flecks of brown and green. He wanted to say the words but they were a lie. Truthfully, try as he might he was unable to exorcise the urges she incited in him that fateful night in his hotel room? He'd been strong enough to turn her away but not to forget. And, he was suffering because of it. "I wish I were able", he whispered, lowering his head.

He shouldn't kiss her...he had to.

His mouth covered her, drinking from the fullness of her lips until they parted in a strangled cry made of frustration and her pent up desire. His tongue slipped between them, tracing the interior of her mouth then lapping at the flavor; a deep moan rumbled, traveling from the pit of his stomach through his throat and spilling into her. He deepened the kiss. It wasn't a gentle; it was exploratory, greedy.... passionate.

He shouldn't touch her.....he had to.

His large arms snaked around her. His hands cupped her ass, his fingers digging into the material of her jeans.

Elise fisted her hands into the golden strands of his hair, pressing her body as close to his as their coats would allow. She should feel triumphant. She should feel vindicated for the chink he put in the armor of her pride that night.

She felt.....she felt. Her body seized. Her eyes opened wide, shocked as wetness pooled between her legs.

Lukas stilled. She didn't, did she?

He lifted his head. She looked as surprised as he by what occurred. Neither spoke a word, not until he gently separated himself from her.

Elise cleared her throat. "I should go".

Lukas nodded in agreement.

He waited for her to walk off then he followed her keeping at a safe distance. Once she was safely in her car, he hopped into his truck. He watched her drive away and sighed. Again, he had to deal with the painful ache of unfulfilled release and the disappointment in himself for being foolish enough to touch her again. He couldn't go on like this; surely he'd destroy himself if he did.

****

Elise turned the key in the front door of the home she shared with her parents. Immediately she rushed straight to her suite. She removed her coat then stripped away her clothing, taking them inside her bathroom and depositing them into her washing machine.

While they went through the cycle, she filled her tub with hot water and bath oil. She sunk down into the tub, closing her eyes. Her eyes opened slowly, staring off into nothingness. How surreal, Lukas kiss bringing her to an orgasm; yet another first for her.

It seemed that every since she met him she was experiencing an entire world of firsts.

She twirled her finger into water. Did she like them? She thought she was sure she did not but now, she was uncertain. All of her life, she had whatever she wanted. Her journey was one she could take with her eyes closed because she already knew it was well paved and lined with gold. Suddenly, the knowledge of it, felt unsatisfying.

She twirled her finger faster. Why was she bitching about the life she screamed from the rafters that she loved so much? Because she realized that life was far too easy for her. Where was her challenge? Where was the moment that defined it all; like it had for Devyn?

"Right in front of you, silly girl", she mumbled.

Lukas was it.

 

Luke thought about her as well. He too saw her as a challenge. A challenge to test his resolve to be the man he wanted to be for his daughter. So far, he was failing; he was determined to succeed. There was ever a time to take control, now was it.

He reached for his cell phone and placed the call he was left with no choice but to make. 

Chapter 6 by kwajeraspen

Chapter 6:

 

Elise was happier than she had been over the course of the past several days. Not only did she make some head way with Lukas (their latest kiss still fresh in her mind), she also received an invitation from Devyn to join her for dinner at the penthouse suite she now called home, having moved in with Jason a month ago. To Elise's delight, she arrived to find Kori there as well.

The three enjoyed pasta and wine....well, grape juice for Devyn. They sat around the kitchen island eating and talking about everything from the dramatic changes Devyn's life to Elise working for her father. Elise neglected to make mention of anything pertaining to Lukas, purposely. She sort of felt guilty for not opening up to them about what was going on but then again, she wasn't the only person in the room keeping a secret, she told herself.

Kori was most definitely hiding something. More than once, Elise noticed that she was in the room but she wasn't "in the room". Instead, she was off somewhere inside her head. A look would cross her face each time she drifted away.

Elise wanted to probe but she couldn't bring herself to do it. As badly as she desired to know what was going on; she did not want to ruin their night together. So, she maintained her smile and entertained them throughout the conversation, which spilled over into the living room.

They made themselves comfortable on the plush furniture while the fireplace provided them with a soft glow of light and additional warmth. Kori sat beside Devyn, massaging her feet. Devyn sighed after a moment, growing extremely relaxed. Her eyes traveled around, taking all the details of the room then going from Elise to Kori. She smiled absently.

She pictured her life, years down the road when her soft dark curls turned gray with age, sitting as she was now, with the two women who'd become so much more than just her friends. Kori and Elise were her sisters; a bond not born of blood but equally strong. "I love you guys", she said quietly.

"We love you too", Kori said.

Elise nodded. "Always".

Devyn continued to smile. "I was just picturing us years from now with husbands who adore us by our sides, children all grown up and off to make their own lives; us, still friends through it all".

"It's a beautiful picture", Kori replied. "But not everyone is fortunate to find someone to grow old with; you're among the lucky few".

Devyn nodded. "I am lucky".  She gestured with her hands as she spoke. "Jason's the one. You know; the person that was designed specifically for you".

"Soul mate", Kori chimed in.

"Yes. Jason is my soul mate", Devyn agreed. "I found mine and I wish the same for the two of you". Her eyes shifted back and forth. "Speaking of which, what is up with you two on the dating front? Is there anything interesting happening?"

"No", Kori replied.

Elise shrugged, "Not really". She should tell them about Lukas, she told herself. But, she didn't. The situation with Lukas was complicated to say the least. She was trying to sort it all out in her head.

"Jason has some nice, single friends that I know he'd be happy to introduce you to", Devyn announced carefully.

Elise raised an eyebrow. "Dating is not an issue for me". The prospect of being fixed up with someone never appealed to her. Besides, her interest was on Lukas.

"Yeah", Kori cut in. "Dating is a sport for Elise", she said then laughed lightly.

"For which I am the champion", Elise added, laughing.

"Okay, so what about you Kori?" Devyn asked. "I can't remember the last time you went out on a date".

Kori waved away Devyn's question. "I don't have the time or the inclination. My focus is my career". She sighed. "What?" She asked when Elise and Devyn just stared at her. "A woman can't be career driven".

"Of course", Devyn replied.

"But, life shouldn't only be about work", Elise said.

"It also cannot only be about play", Kori countered.

"True enough", Elise agreed. "But that just means I am not the only person in the room who needs to learn how to balance both".

Kori offered no argument.

"I just want all of us to be happy", Devyn said after a moment. "Now that I have let go of so much baggage, I finally am. And, now that I can see with opened eyes, neither of you look happy to me; not completely".

Kori gave her leg a pat. "It's sweet of you to worry but, you shouldn't. We will be fine and you need to concentrate on bringing our god child into this world and marrying your guy".

Devyn yawned and stretched. "I can't wait to do either".

Jason returned home to find Devyn fast asleep on the sofa and Kori and Elise still there. He knew without asking that they wanted to wait for him to come home before leaving and he thanked them for not only doing so but for being such good friends to Devyn. He was well aware that they encouraged Devyn to give him a chance and for that, he was grateful.

They watched as he scooped Devyn up into his arms. Devyn's eyes opened. "Hey you", she said sleepily. "Hey you", Jason replied.

"You're carrying me", she pointed out.

"Yes, I am".

Devyn rested her head against his shoulder. "Why do I feel like we've done this before?"

Jason chuckled, "Because I've found you asleep on the sofa almost everyday this week".

She kissed his cheek. "And you've carried me off to bed each time; such a sweet man".

"Yup, that's me", Jason agreed as he carted her off into the bedroom. Before they disappeared, Devyn waved to Kori and Elise over his shoulder.

Kori and Elise made a quiet exit, exchanged good-byes with each other and headed off with a promise to get together again soon.

Elise's good mood continued long after the evening with her friends came to an end. It was still a bit early yet; however, she did not have the urge to go anywhere but home. She felt completely satisfied and a sense of peace and contentment surrounded her. Friday certainly turned out to be the best of days.

****

Lukas was also in a mood but unlike Elise, he was not content and the confines of home didn't rest well with him. He showered and changed then found himself back at Aaron's establishment. Aaron was happy to see him again. The two sat and talked over beers. Aaron did most of the talking, mainly about himself and the prospect of opening another business then, because his curiosity got the better of him, he asked about the lady in red Lukas left with the last time he was there.

"Nothing happened", Lukas told him. He wasn't about to go into the entire scenario.

"Come on man", Aaron said.

"Nothing happened", Lukas repeated.

Aaron smiled slightly. "And if it did, you wouldn't tell me, right?"

Lukas sipped his beer.

Aaron laughed. "Okay, I get it".

He didn't get anything, Lukas said to himself. Aaron had no clue what went down and he was going to keep it that way. He liked Aaron well enough thus far and it was a cool having another guy around to throw back beers with occasionally. But, he wasn't prepared to invite him into his life and most especially not into this situation with Elise.

Lukas finished his beer and decided to call it quits for the evening. Aaron urged him to stay a bit longer but he declined, explaining that he had things to do, like put together Mila's bedroom set, which arrived at the furniture store earlier as scheduled. Aaron understood and offered his assistance if Lukas found he needed it.

Lukas spent the rest of his evening erected the bedroom set and setting every piece into place. Once he was finished he stood back an examined the now completed room. It turned out even better than he had hoped; Mila would be quite pleased.

He ran his fingers through his hair. He missed her terribly. There were five more weeks before her arrival. Five more weeks and this house would be filled with the sound of her laughter and her footfalls as she ran about. The thought made him smile.

Mila was going to love it here; he planned to see to it she did. The school she'd attend for the remainder of the school year was only a little ways away. And, there was a park within walking distance where they could play catch or she could wear herself out of the playground apparatuses. It also did not go unnoticed that the area was family oriented and there were plenty of children Mila's age she could befriend.

No, it wouldn't be the same as the school she already attended with the friends she already made. And no, it wouldn't be the same as their neighborhood in Hamburg with the park where he first taught her to hit a baseball and ride her bike. But, again he told himself, he was going to do everything in his power to make this choice to move back to the States work for her and for him.

His lips thinned as his thoughts turned to Elise. He'd made two foolish mistakes where she was concerned and the madness needed to end. His sanity demanded it he noted, remembering the physical state he found himself in when he arrived home.

Washing to dirty and grime of the day off his skin wasn't the only act he performed in his shower earlier. During the drive home the sound of her soft moans, the taste of her on his lips, the feel of her in his arms lingered, growing inside of him until it pained him. He sought relief in the stroke of his hand, something he hadn't engaged in since he was a young teen just learning to understand his body. As he brought himself to release, she was present. As he sat with Aaron, she was present.

Hell......standing outside his daughter's room she was still present. And, he was honest enough with himself to admit when he slept tonight, she'd be there in some corner of his mind.

He sighed, leaving Mila's room. Desire was a bitch and it had taken a hold of him in the worst way. The knowledge of that fact only reaffirmed he did what was best by placing the call to her father.

****

Monday morning arrived, Sunday passing by in a blur. Elise wasn't the least bit upset. She was too busy bubbling with excitement over seeing Lukas again. No plots or schemes danced in her head as she dressed for work. She just wanted to see him because she actually missed him.

A smile played at the corners of her mouth then bloomed. She liked him, not that he made it easy for her to do. But, she genuinely liked him. That was why she'd become conflicted about her plan so quickly.

Their second kiss only established what she begun to realize long before it happened; Lukas was her moment. It made perfect sense given all the uncharacteristic behavior on her part. Clearly the next page of their story had turned and this chapter read very differently from the others.

A knock sounded at her door, snapping her out of her thoughts. She opened it to find her father on the other side. A few minutes later, she was alone again and she was fuming. Out of nowhere, her father announced that he was removing her from the construction site in Rosedale. When she questioned him, he informed her that he trusted Lukas to handle both the labor and the administration and she would be far more useful working with him in the corporate office. 

Elise paced her living room thinking. Her father's change of mind blindsided her just as his initial announcement that she had to work for him in the first place had. At first, she believed her mother was involved in his latest decision; however, as she continued to pace, she deduced another culprit..... Lukas. Her face grew hot with anger as she stormed back into her room to change her clothing to business attire. What, she wondered, did he say to her father.

 

Lukas completed the stack of purchase orders on his desk. As he did, he went over all that had occurred that day; conversations amongst the men. He'd taken mental notes of what he heard and saw. He set down his pen and ran his hand over his face. Confliction nagged at him. Deception was not like him. Yet, here it was, surrounding him. He deceived the crew everyday that he worked with them while listening out for information he could feed to Everett. It didn't sit well.

No one was to blame for his situation but himself. He could have told Everett no, walked away, and by design freed himself from all that came with the association of working for him. However, working for Everett Construction was the opportunity he'd been waiting for and as he said time and time again, he was no quitter.

He rose, walked to the window and peeked out. The hour was late and the crew had long since left for the day. The sun had gone down and the site was lit by the overhead lights. Time to call it a night, he decided. He was going to go home and think of anything but Everett Construction or anyone involved with it.

He made his way to the parking lot, pausing when he saw Elise leaning against the front of his truck; her car parked beside it. She was dressed for business, her dark suit visible because her coat hung open.  

He hadn't expected to see her again, definitely not here. He'd planted a seed of concern in Everett's mind regarding her working on-site and Everett immediately decided to remove her. From the look on her face, she wasn't too happy about that decision.

He climbed into his truck, ignoring her. Elise didn't move, not even when he started the engine.

Lukas swore, lowering the window. "Get out of the way", he ordered.

She faced him, her eyes glinted with defiance. "Make me, coward".

 "I am a far cry from a coward".

"Not from where I'm standing", Elise shot back. "I never thought in a million year that a big strong manly guy like you would be afraid of little ole me".

Lukas hopped out of his truck, slamming the door. Elise could swear she saw fire in his eye as he approached and her instinct was to back away but she held her ground, meeting the anger in his eyes with her own. "I'm not afraid of you".

"Coward"

Lukas frowned. "Don't push me", he warned.

Elise folded her arms. "What are you going to do coward?"

He drew closer and as much as she didn't want to, Elise did back away slightly. Lukas smirked. Without warning, he gripped her upper arm and pulled her toward the work site.

"What are you doing?" Elise asked startled but his action. She dug her heels into the dirty but her attempt to stop him was futile. He continued to pull and she had no choice but to go where he wanted.

Lukas pulled her until they were deep inside the frame of the structure; almost in the exact spot they were when they shared their second kiss. He removed his jacket and tossed it on the ground beside his feet. "Well", he said. "What are you waiting for? You want me to fuck you, right? Take off your clothes. Let's get it over with".

"Excuse me?"

Lukas laughed slightly. "That's what I thought", he said picking up his jacket. "You're only interested games where you make up the rules. Because that's how you operate".

"You don't know anything about me", Elise replied.

"Of course I do. You're not unique. I've known woman like you before. Ones who believe because they have beautiful and privilege on their side they have the right to do as they please without taking any responsibility. Life is a party and you make your decisions based on how you feel in the moment. Your interests are scattered at best and you bore quickly, so it is easy for you to cast things aside, clothes, cars, jewelry but most especially people; men, children".".

 "I would never...."

"Take your damn games somewhere else. I will not be a casualty of your whims", Lukas continued, cutting her off. "I made that mistake before, I won't do it again".

He stormed off, leaving Elise standing there in shock from his verbal attack. He was so angry that his body vibrated from it. The thing was, he wasn't a hundred percent sure who he was most upset with; her or himself.

He made it only a few feet away when he heard the sound; the cry of metal giving way. Elise heard the sound as well, her eyes going from his retreating back to overhead. The metal beam fell fast coming down where she stood. Lukas tackled her, rolling with her just before the beam hit the ground with a crash.

 

 

Chapter 7 by kwajeraspen

Chapter 7:

 

"I'm okay", Elise repeated for the third time as her father hovered at her side while the EMT checked her. Her father insisted on the examination even after she told him she did not need one. Other than the scrap on her knee, she didn't have a scratch on her thanks to Lukas's quick reaction.

She might be physically okay Everett noted but she was shaking like a leaf; she wasn't alone. His heart nearly stopped when he received her frantic phone call. If Lukas had been a second slower, she would have been killed.

Everett placed his arm around her shoulder. Immediately, Elise turned and embraced him tightly. Her breath shuttered as she struggled to prevent the tears that threatened to come. She couldn't recall ever being as scared as she'd been when she saw that beam coming down above her. The ground shook from the impact. From over her father's shoulder, she saw Lukas answering questions for the police. Their eyes locked then he turned away.

"What were you doing here Elise?" Her father asked quietly. The whole reason for his decision to move her to the corporate office was to keep her away from what was happening.

Before Elise could offer a reply, a police officer interrupted them. Everett walked with him to the work site but not before telling Elise to stay put by the trailer. He spoke the words with a level of authority that she'd never heard from him before.

Elise stood there alone for a little while then, remembering she still had the key, she made her way inside the trailer, needing to find a place to be alone. She sat behind the desk that was she called her own a week ago. She sighed. A single tear escaped, sliding gently down her cheek then unable to hold back any longer, she cried.

 

Lukas and Everett answered questions for the police. The beam, they learned was not recently cut but had been tampered with over a period of time until it was weak enough to eventually give way. An inspector would have to be called in to make sure the structure was still sound before work could continue; yet another set back. Though Everett was upset, he was relieved to learn that someone did not intentionally target Elise. Still, it did not sit well that she almost became a casualty nonetheless. Nor, did he like the idea that Lukas or anyone else could have been hurt. This was going too far. Whoever was behind this sabotage had gone from a few minor damages to almost murdering someone. Lukas was unable to gather any significant information. And, for the life of him, he couldn't figure out who or why?

The police cruiser and investigation unit were barely out of sight when Lukas turned to Everett. "I think you should level with me now, don't you?"

"I have been completely honest with you, Lukas", Everett said. He started toward the trailer.

Lukas fell into step beside him. "Have you?"

"Yes". Everett stopped. "I can only imagine what must be running through your mind. But please be assured that I am an honest businessman. I don't double cross or dirty deal. And, I am fair to all of my employees. I am not built for deception; it's just not in my nature".

Lukas's aquamarine eyes bore into him. "Yet, you did not offer me full disclosure when you hired me".

Everett shook his head, "No, I did not; for that, I am deeply sorry. I was thinking of myself, my company. I didn't want to lose you. From our very first conversation, I sensed what a good man you are. I could tell you were hardworking but more importantly than that, I could tell you were honorable. After all that transpired prior to you, I was desperate to have someone here I could truly trust".

Lukas continued to stare at him but inside he felt a pang of guilt. Everett wasn't the only person who hadn't given full disclosure. Everett was unaware of his acquaintance with Elise. It was the push, pull which existed between them that brought her here tonight. If not for the loss of his temper, she would not have been in the vicinity of the fallen beam.

 

Elise heard them outside the door and quickly dabbed her eyes. She sat ramrod straight in the chair, folding her hands on top of the desk. When Everett and Lukas entered, that was how they found her.

"Are you alright?" Everett asked her immediately.

"I'm okay", she answered. "I will be better once you tell me what is going on".

"We'll discuss it later. For now, I'm going to take you home", Everett answered.

Elise rose, stepping from behind the desk. "I can see my home, daddy. Really, I am fine". She saw he was going to insist. "I will come straight away, I promise. I just need a moment with Lukas".

Everett hesitated then agreed. "I will see you at home". He kissed Elise's cheek. "I am so grateful to you Lukas for saving her", he added before leaving them alone inside the trailer.

A stretch of silence passed between she and Lukas. "Thank you", she finally said, lifting her red rimmed eyes to meet his. "I don't know what else to say". She shrugged, looking away. "I guess there isn't much more. So, thank you, Lukas". She started towards the door.

Lukas watched her go and resisted the urge to follow her. What purpose would he have? She was right, there was no more to be said.

****

Kori handed Elise another glass of wine, which she downed in one gulp. Elise appeared on her doorstep in the middle of the night shaking with eyes that indicated that she'd been crying recently. That was over twenty minutes ago and as yet, Elise hadn't spoken a word.

Kori sat down beside her. "Do you want to talk about it?"

Elise shook her head, holding out her glass for more wine.

Kori granted Elise's request, refilling her glass. "Drowning whatever it is in wine isn't going to make it go away", she said.

Elise stared at the glass. "I almost died tonight", she said quietly.

"What?" Kori asked, sure she didn't hear what she heard.

Elise drank the contents of her glass. "I almost died tonight", she repeated. "I mean died as in not here anymore, your number has been punched; may you rest in peace".

Kori took the glass from Elise and sat in down. "You're serious", she said, observing Elise carefully. "What happened?"

Elise told her all about the troubles with the construction project, from the tampered equip to the beam. She explained how she came to be at the site when the beam fell then she filled Kori in on Lukas; really filled her in. She told Kori everything about that night at the club, the hotel and all that happened afterwards. Saying all of it out loud made her feel like an ass. Her behavior had been childish and unwarranted. Quite frankly, she was appalled with herself.

She also felt lost, which she was unaccustomed to. In the midst of trying to get underneath Lukas's skin, he managed to get underneath hers. And, the want she had been determined to make him feel was hers instead. It was a want beyond lustful desires. A longing for a connection she never had with a man. However, Lukas made it abundantly clear that he did not wish to have any dealings with her.

She believed Lukas was to be her moment; looks like she was mistaken. It hurt, not her ego, her heart.

Then there was the issue of the attack on her father's company. Someone had a problem with the Rosedale project. Or, perhaps their vendetta was against Everett Construction and Engineering or scarier yet, against her father personally. Well, the police were involved now. Whoever was behind the sabotage would be exposed.

Kori hugged Elise. She wanted to scold her on her poor choices, especially doing something as dangerously stupid as going to a stranger's hotel room. But, Elise needed her comfort more than she needed to hear a lecture. "I am so glad you're okay".

"I'm not", Elise admitted to her. She lifted her head from Kori's shoulder. "Do you mind if I crash here tonight? I told my father I'd come home but I need a little time to process a few things".

Kori stroked Elise's hair. She had never seen Elise so far out of character. Elise was aggressive and go-getter, she was energetic and fun. The Elise sitting beside her was deflated. "Sure. You are welcomed to stay here as long as you like", Kori said, giving Elise another hug before rising.

Elise wrapped her arms around herself. "I don't know what to do about Lukas".

"Maybe, you start with an apology. That would be the mature thing to do. And, he deserves one. You shouldn't toy with people's emotions", Kori said. "And Elise, you cannot force someone be with you, no matter what your heart wants", she added. She dropped a kiss on top of Elise's head. "Get some sleep. Love ya".

"I love you too".

Elise called her father to tell him that she would be staying at Kori's for the night then she retired to Kori's spare bedroom. Hours ticked by and it was after midnight when she finally closed her eyes to get some rest.

Around midnight she awoke from a nightmare, she skin dampened with the sweat of fear. She lay there staring up into the darkness, while she counted backwards from ten to calm her racing heart. She reminded herself that she was okay then drifted back to sleep.

****

Tuesday morning Elise arrived at work, making a bee-line straight for her father's office. She knocked softly on the door then entered to find he was not there. She walked to his desk, pushing the intercom for his assistant. "Hi Jessica, can you tell me where my father is this morning?"

"He is in a meeting in conference room B".

"In a meeting?" Elise asked.

Jessica shook her head. "He doesn't have any scheduled for today".

Elise made her way down the hall to conference room B, stopping short outside the double glass doors. Her father sat at the oval shaped table, his head lowered. Elise entered. "Daddy", she said softly.

Everett lifted his head. "The Rosedale project is shutdown until further notice", he said, answering the question in her eyes. "Between the inspector and the police, I don't know exactly when that will be". He took a deep breath. "I failed my client".

"No, you didn't". Elise sat. "We may have hit another bump in the road but we will see to it that this project gets completed.  And, we will figure out who doesn't want us to and why".

"We?"

Elise laid her hands over his. "Yes. This is our company and we will not sit idly by while someone attacks us", she said.

Everett saw a fire was lit inside his daughter; he liked it. His goal when he made the decision she'd go to work, was just to make her understand the importance of responsibility. Her interest in being more active in the company was an added bonus, as long as she wasn't ever again in harms way. The thought made him weigh her words more carefully. "The police will handle figuring out who is behind the sabotage. We will concentrate on hitting the ground running once we have the okay for the project to start again. In the meantime, I am reassigning Lukas to another project and I need you to help with the scholarship event this year".

Elise nodded, "Okay".

"Let's go back to my office and I will tell you what I had in mind".

Elise listened intently as he went through the ideas in his head. As he bounced ideas off of her, she had a few of her own. The scholarship ball was an event that rotated between eight of the local companies. Each year, one company was responsible for hosting the event; this was Roberts Construction and Engineering's year. The venue was always large and glamorous event in which ten scholarships were awarded by the participating companies; some, full tuitions paid. The last time her father hosted the event she was a freshman in college; she'd come home to attend.

Planning the scholarship ball was perfect for her. The time and energy involved in putting together an event of this magnitude would keep her mind busy, giving her less time to dwell on other things.

No sooner than she left her father's office she buried herself in the preparations. Two weeks flew by quickly. In that time, Elise had secured a venue, booked entertainment and helped her father select a recipient from the stack of submission that arrived. It felt good to dig in deep. Most days she worked until she could do no more than drag herself home and flop down face first on her bed, exhausted.

Also, in the time that passed, she saw nothing of Lukas. It was difficult not to notice or care.

Maybe, the problem was she needed closure. Maybe that closure came via the apology she agreed he deserved. Then, she could let go any idea she had in her head that there could be a spark between them beyond physical intimacy.

There was no moment to be theirs, no great romance that would bloom. Lukas didn't want a connection with her, physical or otherwise.

Elise pushed away from her desk, swirling her chair then standing. She needed to get out of the office for a little while she decided; clear her head. She needed to do something fun like go shopping.....with her own money. She'd buy something for Devyn and Jason's little bundle of joy on the way. She had been eyeing a few items in the baby shop a few blocks from the office.

She smiled. A shopping trip was definitely a spirit lifter.

 

Lukas saw her the moment she exited the building. She stopped to button her coat. He watched her. To say she did not cross his mind more than once would be a lie. She crept in as she always did, at odd times like today when he was seven stories high, installing a new roof system with a two man crew. Out of nowhere he realized that two weeks had past since the incident at the Rosedale site; since he set eyes on her.

 

Elise felt......him. Her hands paused in the process of closing her coat. Her eyes searched the busy sidewalk until they found him. Her first mind told her to avoid him, screaming that she wasn't quite ready to face him. She ignored it. Now was as good as any to offer him a long overdue apology.

Lukas saw her coming and fell into step, meeting her half way.

"Hi", Elise said.

"Hi", Lukas said.

Elise fidgeted with the strap on her purse. "We haven't seen much of you these days", she said lightly. "My dad tells me you're working on a repair contract. How is it?"

"Less eventful", he replied.

Elise smiled slightly, "I'm sure".

Silence passed between them. Lukas cleared his throat. "I'd better get going".

Elise reached out, placing her hand on his arm, "Lukas wait. I'd like a minute of your time".

"Everett is expecting me".

"Please. I have something to say to you. It won't take long. No tricks or games". She lowered her hand. "Could we go to the coffee shop across the street? I'd rather not say what I have to standing on a crowded sidewalk in the cold".

Lukas started to turn her down until he saw the sincerity in her eyes. Honestly, he had the time to spare; he was early for his meeting with Everett. He nodded. "Okay".

They entered the shop and Elise couldn't help but notice the attention Lukas drew, specifically from the women. She spotted a few touching a hand to their hair or secretly checking their lipstick to make sure it was perfect. She glanced at Lukas; he was completely clueless.

Lukas found a table and waited patiently while Elise ordered a drink. To his surprise, with a menu filled with fancy coffees and teas, she selected a hot chocolate with extra marshmallows. She smiled when the waitress set the steaming mug in front of her and it reminded him of Mila. Then she lifted those bright hazel eyes and his was momentarily lost in them. He cleared his throat. "So, you wanted a word with me".

"Um, yes; right". Elise was nervous she realized. She wrapped her hands around the mug to warm her fingers and to have some place to concentrate her energy. "Lukas, I...."

Lukas's phone rang. He removed it from his jacket pocket and saw the call was from his mother. "I need to take this, excuse me". He answered and began speaking in the native tongue of his family.

Elise slipped her hot chocolate. She couldn't grasp his words but picked up one or two; enough to know he was speaking in German.

Lukas ended his call with his mother. Elise couldn't help but notice the call left his disturbed. "Are you alright?" she asked.

Lukas nodded, "Yes". He glanced at his phone, noticing the time. "I have to go, my meeting with Everett is about begin".

The window of opportunity closed on her apology, she was beyond disappointed. "Okay. So, I guess I'll see you around".

"Yeah, see you around".

Lukas barely stepped foot on the other side of the street when he heard horns blearing and Elise shouting his name. He turned to see her darting across the street in her high heels.

"I'm sorry", Elise said as soon as she hit the sidewalk. The words spilled out of her mouth rapidly. "You were right about me playing games with you. And I am truly sorry. I had to let you know".

"And that was worth almost being run over?" He asked.

Elise didn't answer. She reached out, placed her hand against his face, tracing the line of his jaw with her thumb then she lowered her hand and rushed off.

Chapter 8 by kwajeraspen

Chapter 8:

Lukas frowned as his father went over the events that led to Mila being suspended from school. He'd spoken with Mila after his mother's call but Mila would not tell him what had happened. He learned from his father that another child had called her a motherless mutt and in response, Mila punched her.

"Mila popped her good, right in the eye", his father said.

"Dad", Lukas warned, hearing the hint of pride in his father's voice. "She shouldn't be fighting, especially not in school".

His father cleared his throat. "Mom and I gave had a good talk with her", he said, sounding more official.  "She's so much like you; short temper and quick fists", he added.

"Yeah, I know. But, how often did I get myself into trouble because of it. I want better for Mila then for her to repeat my mistakes. Just look at what my choices have done to her so far. She is motherless, because of me".

His father sighed. "Hanna walked away from Mila; there was nothing you could have done".

"I should never have slept with her", Lukas countered.

"Probably, but you did", his father stated firmly. "What is done is done Lukas. It is past time you stopped paying your self inflicted penance".

Lukas grew quiet.

"When was the last time you went out on a date?" his father asked. "Held a woman in your arms?"

"Dad", Lukas warned a second time.

"Go ahead, get angry. Maybe if you get angry, you will get tired of trying to live like a priest and go out and get some". He knew he was poking a stick at a sleeping bear and he meant to. He was concerned about Lukas cutting himself off emotionally. Lukas only dated two women after Mila was born and neither relationship lasted more than a few weeks as Lukas found numerous reasons the relationships would not work.

Lukas's face grew red with embarrassment. "I'm hanging up".

"I'm sure there is some young lady who'd love to spend time with a good looking guy like you", his father continued on.

"Dad, seriously, enough", Lukas said. "I am not talking about my sex life with you".

"Ha", his dad said. "You don't have one".

"Wow, I didn't realize how late it was. Good night dad".

"It isn't that late there", his father pointed out.

"But it is after midnight there", Lukas replied quickly. "Tell Mila I love her and I will call her tomorrow".

"Lukas".

"I love you too", Lukas said then disconnected.  He rubbed his hand over his face as he thought about Mila being called a motherless mutt. That she suffered even an ounce of pain from those words crushed him, piling more guilt atop the mound that he already carried. The guilt was suffocating him but he didn't know how to move past it.

His father's words echoed in his head, over and over until he felt the need to escape. He grabbed his keys and rushed out of the house, designation unknown.

****

Elise could not recall the last time she dated herself, if ever. If she were to examine her lifestyle up to this moment, she'd say it was surely a busy one that seemed to always be filled with people. The fact, she actually turned down an offer of dinner with one of her many acquaintances to dine alone at her favorite restaurant tonight, surprised her. For some reason, the idea of enjoying her favorite meal, by herself, underneath the dimly lit chandeliers appealed to her more than the latter.

Now, she found herself at the harbor, looking out over the dark water. The chill of the February breeze, brushed her cheeks, making them flush but she didn't mind. It was peaceful here; hardly anyone was out walking the harbor. Most, she supposed, were somewhere with a crowd of people and a steady flow of liquor to keep warm. The night was better for it, she decided, as she was in no mood for either.

For the first time in her life, no storm raged inside her, urging her to unleash it before it consumed her. Calm resided where thunder clouds usually dwelled. The feeling was strange, foreign and a little scary but she welcomed it, completely and utterly content with her current situation to care.

A couple, no older than she, strolled by holding hands. She glanced at them, just enough for them to see. They smiled then stopped to ask if she would take their picture. She started to decline but they were so adorable, she caved taking the cell phone the young women held out to her.

Elise took a step back, making certain she'd get a good shot. They thanked her then moved on, leaving her alone again or so she thought until Lukas came into view. There was a fair amount of distance between where each stood but it was him. The harbor lights shone again his blonde hair. He was leaning against the railings just as she had been but his head was down.

"Walk the other way", her inner voice screamed. She ignored it.

She joined him, mimicking his stance. Neither spoke for a long stretch of time. He looked troubled she noticed. Deep lines creased his brow and his mouth formed a thin line. "I am a terrible listener", she said after a moment.

"Is that so?" Lukas questioned.

"Oh yes", Elise said, "Just god awful". She turned, so that her back was now against the railing.

Despite how he was feeling, his mouth curved a little. "Then I guess it's good that I'm in no mood to talk", he replied.

"Absolutely", she said nodding her head. Her lips curved also.

Lukas turned as well. He was curious why she was hanging out at the harbor at night, alone. He'd come to let the cold air clear his head. Could she very well have come to do the same? He wondered; he did not ask.

The breeze picked up, swirling about. Elise shivered, wrapping her coat around her securely, shoving her hands into its pockets. "Well, that's it for me".

Lukas felt the sting of cold on the tips of his ears. "Me too". 

Lukas walked her to her car. She did not ask and he did not offer; they just fell into step together. Once there, Elise saw no sign of his truck. "Where's your truck?" She asked.

Lukas shrugged, "I walked. I don't live far".

"Come on, I'll give you a ride".

Lukas shook his head. "I'm fine. No need to inconvenience yourself".

"If you're close by, it won't be much of an inconvenience".  She sighed, "Come on. It's really cold out here".

Lukas relented.

****

When Lukas said he lived close by, Elise expected slightly less of a drive. If her calculations were correct, they'd driven at least a miles. She glanced at him from the corner of her eye. What would send him out into the cold on such a trek?

He'd been deep in thought at the harbor and he still seemed lost. He hadn't spoken a word other then to give her directions (which she did not need) then he stared out the window. Whatever he troubles, they were not resolved by a long shot.

She pulled to the curb, outside a white two-story house with black shutters and a matching black door. The house was nested in a neighborhood full of equally cozy looking homes. She knew the community, not well, but she was familiar with its family oriented living.

"Thank you", Lukas said as he exited her car, shutting the door quietly. He walked to his front steps and paused, taking a deep breath.

Elise looked on in confusion as he turned, walking back to her car. Lukas knocked on the window. She lowered it. "I thought I might invite you in; offer you a cup of hot chocolate. I know how much you like it", he said. "It's the least I can do to repay the kindness of a ride home".

"You don't owe me for the ride".

"Are you going to make me stand out here and insist?" He asked. "As you pointed out before, it is really cold".

A few minutes later, Elise sat in his kitchen with a steaming mug in front of her. The hot chocolate wasn't fancy like the ones served at the coffee shop but it was soft, rich and sweet. The hot liquid slid down her throat, warming her bones and she forgot to care that she was drinking real sugar instead of the substitute she always put in her gourmet hot coco.

Lukas wasn't much of a hot chocolate drinker. He only purchased it for Mila. However, seeing Elise enjoy it for the second time in a matter of hours, he was compelled to pour himself a cup. He sat his mug down and took a seat across from Elise.

Elise caught him watching her with curious eyes. "What?" She asked, running her finger over her lip to make certain she didn't have marshmallow foam on them.

"I don't think I've ever seen an adult enjoy hot chocolate this much", he responded.

Elise chuckled. "I do tend to get giddy over it". She traced the edge of the cup's rim. "I guess because it's a part of many childhood memories. Those special moments I spent with my parents on winter nights by the fireplace. I'd cuddle close to mom, mug in hand while daddy told an endless number of stories".

Lukas liked the picture she painted. He saw it with his mind's eye, the three of them together forming a unit, a family. He's own childhood memories did not consist of nights filled with hot drinks and warm fires. But, there were those special moments with his parents, like Elise spoke of.  He was grateful for each and every one of them, more so that he had both his parents to experience them with.

His guilt surfaced, lying in the pit of his stomach like a weighted ball. Mila had no such memories. His mother, bless her heart, was a strong female presence in Mila's life; however, she was her grandmother and as such could not take the place of the mother she lacked.

"Lukas?" Elise questioned. He was gone; here physically but off somewhere in his head. Wherever he'd gone to, wasn't a pleasant place. She took a chance, reaching across the table and gently touching his hand. "Lukas". He looked at her. She saw pain in his eyes and instantly her heart ached for him. "You look like you need to unburden yourself. I don't know if I can offer any helpful advice but, I'll listen if you want to talk; all jokes aside".

Lukas's eyes drifted downward. Slender honey colored fingers lay atop his hand. There was nothing flirtatious or provocative in her action or her words, yet the sensation of her touch travelled through his hand, up the length of his arm and into his chest. His lungs expanded with air quickly but he forced himself to release it slowly. "I appreciate the offer but I'm fine", he said tightly, moving his hand.

Elise nodded, "Okay". She rose, grabbing into her coat. "It's getting late. I'd better head home. Thanks for the hot chocolate".

Lukas swore under his breath; he'd hurt her feelings and he had no t meant to. He rose, followed her to the door. "Wait, let me..."

"I understand", she said as she shoved her arms into her coat. "It was foolish to image you'd share your feelings with me. You've made it abundantly clear you don't want me. Obviously that includes not even as a friend. And why would you? I couldn't possibly genuinely care. I'm just a selfish, self-centered woman who wants to you fuck me, right?"

She felt a tear slide down her cheek and she wiped it away roughly. She had no right to be hurt, she told herself. Whatever opinion he had of her, she helped him form it. Another tear fell.

Lukas caught the tear with his thumb, brushing it away and her cheek in the process. She lifted her watery eyes to meet his. Lukas stared. He swallowed hard then lowered his head, covering her mouth with his.

****

He was kissing her!

Elise was so shocked that her system initially shutdown and she could do nothing but stand there. Then she began to kiss him back. Their mouths fused together, fitting perfectly. He drew the fullness of her bottom lip into his mouth, sucking it before his tongue slipped into her mouth, dueling with her own.

The kiss was open, uninhibited; explosive. All their mutual pent up frustration surfaced and they gripped each other tightly, deepening the kiss. They kissed as if they were attempting to drink the very essence of life from one another.

Lukas pressed her against the door, his large body covering hers. His hands found their way underneath her blouse. He traced the lace of her bra. When he came in contact with her hardened nipple, his ran the pad of his thumb over it. His other hand trailed down, cupping her center through her slacks.

Lukas fumbled first with the clasp of her pants, flicking it open then he eased the zip down. He cupped her again, this time slipping his hand inside her panties. He stroked the outer edge of her labia then pierced her, burying one thick, long finger inside her. She was wet, warm; inviting. The invitation seduced him. His finger began to move inside her.

A strangled cry escaped Elise's lips. She tore her mouth from his shaking her head rapidly. "No, don't". She pushed at his shoulders. "Lukas, stop".

Lukas looked at her questionably.

"We can't do this", she replied in response to the expression on his face. "We both know you'll only regret it and resent me in the end".

Lukas backed away.

Elise adjusted her clothing as best she could with her trembling hands. She tied her coat tight around her body. "Maybe it's time we both got off this ride before it goes way too far; keep our distance from each other". 

She didn't wait for him to respond. She pulled the door open and rushed out. Lukas stood in the doorway, watching her until she climbed into her car and drove off. He stood there for a while longer.  Maybe she was right, it was time to get off this ride; the problem was, however, it was already too late and they both knew it.

****

Elise sank herself deeper into the preparations for the scholarship ball. The event would be held in April and the scholarships awarded would be handed out during June graduations. Her father, on top of the ton of other things she needed to do, asked if she would go through the student profiles and essays for this years candidates he selected as possible recipients for the scholarship from Roberts Construction and Engineering. She didn't mind. The additional work was welcomed.

She wanted to keep busy. She figures if she kept busy then she had no time to think about other things or more specifically, Lukas. She was wrong. A week had passed since that night at his house and she thought about him the entire time.

She heard through the grapevine that the inspector clear the Rosedale project for continuance and he was once again in charge of the completion. Some part of her could not help but worry for him, especially after what happened.

She sat her pen down. He wasn't hers to worry after, she reminded herself. "But you still want him to be", her inner voice whispered. "Oh shut up you", she said, not realizing she said so out loud.

"Should I come back after you've finished talking to yourself?"

Elise's head shot up, immediately the biggest smile spread across her face. "Keith". She stood, coming from behind her desk. She hugged him then stepped back to take a good look at him.  His dark brown skin, a gift from his Nigerian father, was as always, amazingly smooth, perfect. His eyes, a gift from his Japanese mother, where slanted with iris that were almost black. It struck her every time she saw him, how strikingly handsome he was.

His dressed casual but his clothing was expensive, draping over his build effortlessly. Keith was not as tall or muscular as Lukas but she knew underneath his clothing, his was covered with long, lean cords of muscles, decorated with tattoos.

"Well, well, well", she said. "How's life treating you Mr. Restaurateur?" She had not seen him since going to his grand opening in New York.

"Let me take you to lunch and I'll tell you all about it".

She could use a change of scenery. "Sure".

"You're favorite place?"

"Is there anywhere else", she replied smiling.

A half hour later, they were seated across from each other. Keith told her about all that happened since his opening. The press reviews, the celebrities that had come to dine. Elise was thoroughly entertained by it all. "You must be on Cloud 9", she said. "I know how much you wanted this and now, you're making a name for yourself, doing what you love more than anything".

Keith sipped his wine, staring at her intently over the rim of the glass. "I don't know if I'd say more than anything", he responded. He set his glass down. "I've been thinking a lot about my life and you".

Elise's hand paused midway to placing the fork full of salad into her mouth. "Me?"

"Yes, you", he answered. "That's why I'm here".

"I've thought about you everyday since you came to my opening. Honestly, even before then", he said. "I have been trying to figure out where we went wrong. And, I realize I can't do it on my own. I was hoping we could try to figure it out together. Maybe if we can, we could start over and make it work this time. What do you say, Elise? Can we give us another shot?"

End Notes:

Keith

Chapter 9 by kwajeraspen

Chapter 9

Elise hesitated to respond to Keith's surprising proposal to rekindle their relationship. Theirs was a short but memorable union. And of all her exes, Keith was easily her favorite. She believed the friendship they were building would be a lasting one; her believe solidified by the trip to his restaurant opening in New York. So she thought.

Keith had given her and Kori the ultimate VIP treatment, seating them at the best table, food and drinks on the house. He entertained them with stories of his adventurous youth and of his trip to Rome earlier that year. Not once during the entire evening did he hint at the possibility of wanting to be more than friends again.

She certainly gave no indication of interest. She recalled asking if there was someone special in his life. He responded with a smile and a yes. Now with him sitting across from her, all the want he felt displayed in his eyes, she understood she was that someone he'd spoken of.

He said he could not figure out why they had broken up. The reason escaped her as well. Keith possessed qualities which suited her version of the ideal man. However, as great of a man as he was, neither her head nor her heart was in a good place currently. Her head was filled with conflict, warring with her heart over its decision to give itself to a man who did not want it.

The blood drained from her face instantly as she realized the full magnitude of her situation. She was in love. She loved Lukas and he'd sooner die then love her back.

Keith grew alarmed when she paled. "Elise?"

Elise grabbed her glass of wine and drank it in one long gulp. Her hand visibly shook as she set the glass down. Of all the people in the world, she least imagined herself in this position. She was more accustomed to being the object of someone's affections. It seemed the tables turned quite unexpectedly and rather quickly.

"I know I've caught you off guard", Keith said. "There's no pressure for you to answer me straight away. I only ask that you think about it".

Of course he would never pressure her to make a choice; he was too nice of a guy to ever force the subject. And, she would not lead him on. He deserved better than to be a fill-in or a temporary distraction. Friendship is all she was able to offer Keith and he needed to know. She sighed. "You don't owe me any apologies for being honest about how you feel. Now, it's my turn to do the same".

She told him about Lukas. She left out some of the sorted details, like picking him up in a club, and the ugly confrontation at the work site. She did not tell him about the last encounter, in which they had come as close to making love as they had the first night they met. What she told Keith was enough for him to understand she had strong feelings for Lukas and the situation was complicated.

Keith walked her back to her office. They walked, her arm linked through his, chatting away like two old friend catching up. Gentleman that he was, he would not hear of dropping her off in the lobby. He went with her in the elevator and deposited her outside her office door.

"Thank you for lunch", she said.

"You're welcome", Keith replied.

"I'm sorry if I hurt you".

"I'm not hurt Elise. I can't say I'm not disappointed", he responded.

"I do care for you Keith", she said reassuringly.  "You are a dear friend", she added, "One I do not want to lose".

"You haven't", Keith said, touching her cheek. His hand lingered. "You're special Elise. He is a complete fool if he let's you slip through his fingers".

Elise couldn't agree with Keith's assessment. He lacked one very important fact. He did not know about the games she played with Lukas all in some twisted plan to make him want her then reject him. "And you're a sweetheart", she said then she gave him peck on the lips.  "I'm glad we'll remain friends".

Keith nodded, "We will". He lowered his hand. "Maybe, as a friend, I can invite you out for drinks tonight".

She smiled, "Maybe, as a friend, I can accept your invitation".

"I will pick you up at your house around seven".

Elise shook her head, "How about you choose a place and I'll meet you there". Picking her up would seem like a date and this wasn't.

"Okay. I will call you with the location", Keith said.

After Keith was gone, she sat alone in her office thinking. If circumstances were different, she might've given their relationship another chance but they were not. Her heart gave itself to Lukas. She was beginning to think, it had done so long before her mind barged with its schemes. But that made no sense. People didn't fall instantly for strangers, did they?

She thought she had a handle on her emotions; ruling her feelings and her actions. With Lukas it turns out she did not. What was she to do, especially after stating so passionately that they should keep their distance from one another?

At a loss, desperate for advice, she decided to call her friends.

****

Lukas worked himself like a man gone mad, setting a pace his crew scrambled to keep up with. He was pushing his crew hard and pushing himself even harder. Each day, he continued to work long after the sun had gone down and he'd sent the crew home for the evening. Tonight was no exception. He worked until his muscles were fatigued then headed inside the trailer to catch up on paperwork, ignoring the headache which pounded at the front of his skull.

He was pushing himself so hard because he wanted to finish construction before Mila came. In a few days and she would arrive in the States with his parents. He wanted to be free from the stress of this project, so it did not interfere with the time and attention she deserved. Adjusting to the move was going to be hard on her and she'd need him to help her grow accustomed to it.

Lukas closed the folded on his desk and pushed it aside. He swore softly.  

He was lying to himself, partially. There were two sides to the tale of why he was working himself into the ground. Mila was only one of his motivators.

He worked to stay busy because, if he stayed busy then he wouldn't have time to think. If he did not have time to think, his mind would not wander towards Elise. He thought of her any way.

Three times now, he'd held her in his arms, tasted her. Every time he had, she remained with him; imprinting herself deeper onto his skin, in his mind. He wanted to believe it was all her, that she'd some how casted a spell to make him desire her so. But, the mere thought was ridiculous. Any desire she invoked was a desire he felt the minute he laid eyes upon her and tried to deny.

But there was more still.....

Beyond lust of the flesh, she stirred something inside him. It scared the hell out of him. 

He thought for sure he had her pegged perfectly; the selfish socialite with a heart cold as stone. Her tears told a different story. They spoke of a vulnerability he assumed she lacked. To complicate the matter further, she had shown genuine care for what troubled him, though he'd refused to share. Part of him wished she'd never extended herself then he could continue to hold on to the prejudices he buried her beneath. Yet, part of him was relieved he'd gotten to witness another side of her, so he could find justification in the want haunting him.

"What are you going to do about it?" His inner voice asked.

He hadn't a clue. And, he definitely wouldn't figure it all out tonight. So, he decided the best thing he could do was go home and sooth his sore muscles under the hot sprays of his shower. Then, he was going to straight to bed.

He made it all the way to his truck before the little voice in his head began whispering he should go back and check the site. Lukas tried to ignore it but the whispering grew louder, nagging at him to take heed.

He walked towards the site, scanning the area as he did. The structure, thanks to the hard work of him and his construction crew, was more than just a steel frame now. The lower half was covered with brick and mortar, soon the top portion would be completed as well then the interior work could begin.

He ran his hand over one of the bricks, pride filling him.  He stepped inside, all prideful thoughts forgotten when he surprisingly found himself face to face with Paul. Paul looked as shocked as he. "Paul, what are you doing here?"

Paul grinned nervously then took off like a rocket. Lukas gave chase. Lukas tackled him and the two rolled. Lukas came out of the tumble on top. He pressed his forearm into Paul's throat. "It's you? You've been sabotaging the project? "

Paul's fingers dug into Lukas's arm trying to relieve the pressure on his throat.

"Why?" Lukas asked through clenched teeth. He'd trusted Paul; come to rely on him as an ally in seeing the project finally completed.

Something struck him across the shoulder blades. A sharp pain raced along his back, the blow knocked him off of Paul. He rose to his feet in time to block the second strike from connecting. He hit the unknown assailant square in the face, dropping him like a rock; angrier than before, he turned back to Paul. Paul began throwing punches wildly, attempting to keep him at bay. The first punch landed, catching Lukas on the chin; he didn't even flinch. Lukas deflected the rest. He plowed his fist into Paul's stomach, sending Paul to his knees then he gripped him by the collar and hoisted him back to his feet, delivering another blow. "Why?" he asked again.

A burst of light danced behind his eyes as a hard solid object connected with the side of his head then everything went black.

****

Elise applied a dab of shine to her gold tinted lips, mumbling to herself while she did. She was so mad at Kori, she wanted to strangle her. Kori had promised to meet her after work, so they could talk but never showed. At least Devyn had the decency to call her to let her know she would not be able to make it after all; but not Kori.

Seriously, she thought. What the hell was up with Kori? She was acting stranger and stranger with each passing day.

Elise dropped the gloss into the small gold purse beside her than adjusted the straps to her black dress. She stepped back to examine herself in the mirror. She'd get to the bottom of whatever was going on with Kori, she promised herself. For now, she needed to relieve the stress weighing her down; drinks with Keith tonight would help.

She grabbed her purse and headed to the main house. Normally she'd head there to see her parents; an unspoken ritual she performed. But they were out of town for the weekend, visiting her aunt Grace in Connecticut. Tomorrow was her aunt's birthday.  

Elise entered through the rear entrance. She recalled walking in a few days ago and finding her mother in the kitchen pouring two glasses of wine. Soft music had flowed through from the open French doors leading to the family room. Her mother hummed to the tune playing, while she busied herself with her task. Her parents were having one of their in-house dates. Elise could not help but smile as she thought of it.

Her parents were as perfect a pair as she had ever seen; the yen to each other's yang. They balanced each other, supported each other, stood together always. And after all these years, they remained very much in love.

Ever since she was a little girl, her mother told her how lucky she was to have found her father. Now that she thought of it, Elise wondered if, all her party girl, love them and leave behavior wasn't her unconscious search her perfect partner for life.

She almost laughed. If so, then why not go for a guy like Keith, who possessed many of the traits she saw in her father. Why on earth would she fall for Lukas?

Her cell phone rang in her purse. She reached inside, pulled it out. She frowned, not recognizing the number. "Hello".

"Thank goodness", the woman on the other end said. "Elise it's Rebecca. I have been trying to reach your father for almost hour. I know he is out of town but it is very important".

Rebecca was her father's personal assistant. "What's happened, Rebecca?" Elise asked, picking up the stress in her voice.

"There was another incident at the Rosedale site", Rebecca said.  "The police called. Lukas was injured, he's in the hospital. And they want to speak with Mr. Roberts ".

"I'll get a hold him", Elise said. "What hospital?" She jotted down the information and then she raced out the door. The whole way there, she prayed Lukas was not badly hurt. Even as she dialed Keith to tell him she was unable to meet him, she prayed. Through the entire conversation with her father, while convincing him it was unnecessary to come home because she could handle it, she prayed.

 

Lukas touched the patch of gauze on his head gently.  Stitches and a concussion; according the doctor, he was lucky the damage wasn't far worse.

He was still angry, over Paul's deception. He was also angry at himself for not picking up any signals that Paul was the one sabotaging the work site and for letting him slip through his fingers. He should have been more mindful of his surrounding; if so, he would have noticed there was a third person in Paul's little group lurking about. The coward struck him in the side of the head while he pummeled Paul. He'd been in enough fights to know better.

He closed his eyes trying to calm himself. The anger only made his head throb. Paul would not get away with what he'd done. The police had a full description of both Paul and his accomplice. He'd done his part, he told himself. Now, he just wanted to go home, pop some aspirin and go to sleep.

He opened his eyes. First, because he remembered the doctor refused to let him leave the hospital on his own; never mind the fact that he drove himself to the hospital when he regained consciousness.  Second, because he felt a presence in the room. To his surprise, it was Elise.

The police filled Elise in on details of what happened. After an extensive round of questioning her then her father via phone, she was free to check on Lukas. To her relief, he was alright, battered a bit but okay.

They stared at each other; an awkward silence filled the room.

"I see you have a ride after all", the doctor said from behind Elise.

Elise jumped slightly.

"Apologies, I didn't mean to startle you", the doctor said, moving around her.  "Dr. Thomas Michaels", he introduced holding out his hand to her.

Elise shook it, offering him a friendly smile. "Elise Roberts".

He realized his eyes lingered on Elise much to long and cleared his throat. "I'll have your discharge papers executed", he said to Lukas.  He handed Elise a pamphlet. "Here is some information on concussions", he said. "Mr. Weiss is to be monitored for the next 48 hours. If he exhibits any symptoms such as severe headache, loss of consciousness or memory, bring him back immediately. Apply ice packs to reduce swelling and here is a prescription for pain. No over the counter pain relievers, they can cause bleeding at the injury location. Rest is his friend; make sure he gets plenty of it".

Elise listened to all the doctor's instructions as he shoved papers into her hand. Both she and Lukas tried to explain she wasn't his caregiver but the doctor came and went so fast, they never got the chance.

Elise looked at the papers then at Lukas. Lukas held out his hand for the papers. "You don't have to take this on Elise. I'll be fine".

Elise gripped the papers tighter. "You heard the doctor, you need to be monitored and you need rest. You can't do both Lukas. Unless you have someone else to help you, you're stuck with me".

****

Lukas awoke to a living room full of sunlight and the feel of his sofa beneath him. He laid there looking upwards toward the ceiling. His brow knit in confusion briefly then he touched a hand to his head. He felt the bandage and it all came back to him, the fight, Paul's betrayal, the hospital and......

He sat up. As he did, his eyes landed on Elise. She was fast asleep in the armchair. His first thought was to wonder how she managed to folded herself into such a tiny space. Her feet were tucked underneath her and her head rested against her arm which rested against the arm of the chair.

She'd changed her clothing some time during the night. Gone was the little black dress and slender heels she wore at the hospital; it their place was a pair of jeans and plain white button down shirt. Her face was scrubbed clean as well, not even a gloss to her full lips. Beside the chair lay the small case she'd stopped home to pack last night.

Lukas rose, walked over to the chair and knelt down in front of her. The slight puffiness underneath her eyes told him what he needed to know. She stayed up all night keeping watch over him, as she said she would....she kept her word.

Elise mumbled something in her sleep then shifted her body to an oddly angled position. Lukas stood, leaned down and scooped her up into his arms. He carried her upstairs into his bedroom and laid her down on his bed.

Elise's lips curved into a pleasant, dreamy smile as she turned to her side and snuggled into the softness of the pillow. Several strands of her hair fell across her face. Once again, Lukas knelt before her. Unable to resist, he brushed the strands back, letting them run through his fingers as he did.

Elise's eyes fluttered open; hazel gazed into aquamarine. "Lukas?" She questioned sleepily. "Are you okay? Do you need anything?" She asked. She hadn't meant to fall asleep. She sat up that's when she noticed they were in what appeared to be his bedroom. "Lukas?" She questioned when he didn't respond; more concerned with him than how she ended up in his room.

She tried to rise but he placed his hands on her shoulders preventing her. "You're exhausted", he pointed out. "You need to rest".

Elise shook her head, "No, I'm fine".

"The extra luggage underneath your eyes says differently", he said.

"What?" Elise touched her face.

"You look beautiful Elise; you're always beautiful". The words were out of Lukas's mouth before he had time to think. He did not regret them.

He reached out, brushing his hand against her cheek, lingering there. She'd asked him if he needed anything. He did need something, Lukas realized then his fingers curled around the nape of her neck. He pulled her forward gently bring his lips to hers.

Elise's heart beat wildly inside of her, pounding against her chest cavity. If she did not move, it was not because she did not want to. She wanted to kiss him but fear of wanting more prevented her.

Lukas gathered her close. He deepened the kiss, covering her mouth with his. He kissed her as he had the first night they met; thoroughly, passionately. The promise of fulfilled desires spoke through the movement of his lips, the stroke of his tongue. Elise loss the battle with herself; her arms circled his neck and she kissed him back.

Lukas stood, pulling her to her feet with him. Their lips parted and before he could kiss her again, Elise turned her head. Lukas placed his hand underneath her chin turning her face back to him. Elise searched his eyes. What she read in them was clear but she needed to hear him say it. "Are you sure Lukas?"

She asked, not because her ego dictated so. Gone were the days of this being about her ego or revenge. She was in love with him. If he turned from her again, she'd be devastated.

"Yes". The word was barely out of his mouth when hers touched his again.

Lukas set her away from him. He lifted the hem of his shirt bring the material up and over his head. Elise stared in awe at the massive expanse of muscles of his chest and arms. Her hands found their way to her own shirt and worked the buttons free. She peeled the shirt away; the lacy white bra underneath appealed to Lukas but he preferred to see her soft full breasts. As if she heard the thoughts in his head, Elise removed her bra, granting his request.

Silently, they removed the remainder of their clothing, each taking a turn while the other watched. It was a seductive little dance that heightened their need to join together. Once all of their clothing was stripped away they rushed to each other, crashing into one another. As they did, their mouths fused together. Lukas hoisted her up as he walked them backwards towards his bed. They fell with a little bounce, him atop her. Elise chuckled but the chuckle was cut short when Lukas grinded against her center. Her breath caught in her throat.

Elise clung to him, her body moving against him with urgency, begging him to complete their union. Lukas tried to fight against it, wanting more time to explore her but the need to join with her was strong, so strong that it was almost painful. "Now", his inner voice screamed, "Now!"

Lukas braced himself above her. Their eyes locked and he entered her in one quick thrust, filling her completely, covering her mouth with his as he did.  His mouth muffled her cry, a mix of surprise and pleasure. The length of him stretched her body beyond what she'd ever experienced. Elise adjusted herself to better accommodate his size then her legs locked around him and they moved together, finding and matching the hungered pace they both desired.

With each long hard stroke, Elise begged him for more. "Lukas, please.....h-harder". She spoke the words, unaware she was doing so, for all she could hear was the pounding of her heart beating in time with his. The whisper of her words caressed the column of his neck, the lobe of his ear then his lips. 

Lukas's fingers dug into the soft flesh of her thighs, pushing them up, breaking their hold around his waist. He lifted the bottom half of her body up off of the bed, angling her to receive the first trust. He buried himself inside her again and again, using the full power of his hips and thighs. Elise cried out in harmony with not so gentle thud of his headboard against the wall; both mixed with the deep rumble of sounds coming from him.  

Lukas felt it, the moment she blossomed, the petals her inner walls opening to full bloom.  Elise's back arched, lifting the rest of her body off of the bed until only her head touched. Lukas held her by the waist anchoring her to him, pushing himself inside her as she came.

The vision she created was indescribable. He lost himself in the image. His body vibrated, trembled, his own release on the horizon. He managed to regain his senses seconds before he emptied, pulling out of her and spilling onto the sheet beneath them.

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 10 by kwajeraspen
Author's Notes:

Happy Thanksgiving All! My computer went down but I'm back in business now....yay! I have also been working on updates for Across Borders and Mississippi Solice.....both will be posted soon....enjoy:-)

Chapter 10

 

Paul paced back and forth across the dark hardwood floor. Beads of sweat dampened his brow and his upper lip. All had not gone as planned and he was nervous. He was given one objective and one only, to stop Everett office building from seeing the light of day. He failed.

Attempt after attempt to shut the project down had gone wrong; the last two particularly. He was so sure he'd cut that steel beam in a location that would have brought almost the entire frame down but he miscalculated. He accidentally almost killed Elise in the process. And, led to a city inspection which allowed Everett to correct the purposeful errors he'd made.

The second was a worse disaster. Lukas walked in on him as he was about to set an explosion guaranteed to end construction permanently.  He'd no doubt Lukas informed Everett and that the police were looking for him.

Paul stopped pacing, placing a hand against his bandaged ribs; a result of his fight with Lukas. If Carlos hadn't stepped in to help him, Lukas would have accomplished more than bruising a few ribs.

He should have finished Lukas off but he could not bring himself to do it. He was many things, but he wasn't a murderer.

His decision left him on very shaky ground. He was given one objective, to stop the project. Now, he wouldn't be able to go anywhere near it, let alone show his face around town. Gone was his purpose.....gone was his chance to be free of Oliver's hold on him.

He had to run; running was his only option. Run, until Oliver stopped looking or until he found him.

 ****

Lukas stood underneath the spray of the shower with his head tilted so not to wet his stitches. He wished the water was able to cascade through his hair and down his face to wash away the thoughts racing through his mind.

He glanced at bathroom door. Just on the other side, only a few feet away was Elise. He'd awoken to find her fast asleep. The crisp clean sheets now covering his bed were draped low over her body leaving the perfect caramel colored skin of her back and shoulders exposed. Desire stirred in him instantly and he struggled against the urge to touch and taste it. When he realized he was going to cave, he abruptly exited the bed.

Had he run from Elise or himself? He asked. In all honesty, the answer was unclear.

What he was certain of was that he'd made a choice. And, the implications of that choice were serious. Now he was left, wondering, weighing and measuring.

He stepped from underneath to shower, leaning against the cooled tiles of the wall. He'd known the minute he touched Elise there would be issues to contend with. The question wasn't whether he wanted to, it was, how could he not?

Elise was the boss's daughter, getting around that fact was impossible. Just as impossible as trying to deny he'd wanted her. Hell! He still wanted her, despite what doing so meant; the knowledge of knowing giving him a jolt of panic.

Hanna's name echoed inside his head. She was always there, haunting his thoughts like a ghost; his biggest mistake, his deepest regret. He'd wanted her too. He had her and his life turned into a nightmare because of it.

Not all of it, he corrected. As big as a mistake Hanna was, something wonderful came of it, Mila. He never regretted Mila, not one second from the moment Hanna told him she was pregnant. Not even when Hanna dumped her into his arms like a discarded doll and strolled off.

Elise was not Hanna he reminded himself again. Yet, the little voice inside his head whispered, echoing all of the concerns plaguing him from the beginning. And no matter what he told himself outwardly, doubts existed despite the tenderness and care he witnessed in Elise.

Lukas swore, pushing away from the wall and shutting of the shower.

 

Elise mumbled in her sleep, slowly coming out of the dream she was having. As she did, she reached out, finding the space beside her empty. Her eyes flew open and she sat up quickly, looking around for Lukas.

She heard the faint sound of the shower and took a deep breath, calming herself. A second later, the bathroom door opened and Lukas appeared; a towel hitched around his waist. Elise's stomach fluttered; not with sexual desire but with pure happiness.

She imagined waking to the sight of him each and every morning and knew she'd never tire of it. The warmth of joy spread through her, crowning at the top of her head and flowing down to her toes. She was giddy with it.

So, this is what love felt like, she mused. A part of her wished she'd known this feeling before. But then, she realized she wasn't meant to, not until the right person came along. That is what makes love so special; keeping it locked away, reserving it for the person you were meant to give it to. Lukas was that person.

She stared at him, entranced by her emotions. Her heart beat wildly. Her lips parted slightly and she exhaled quietly. The words were there, on her tongue and mindlessly she moved her mouth to speak them then she remembered he didn't know. And, more importantly, she did not know how he felt about her. She closed her mouth, swallowing her words. Her cheeks grew hot and she flushed, looking away.

Lukas stood just beyond the bathroom door, rooted in place. He wasn't sure what he was reading on her face and before he was able to decipher it, she lowered her eyes.

When Elise left her eyes to him again, she was composed. She smiled at him. "Hi".

"Hi", he replied. Whatever he saw was gone now and she looked at him with a glint of flirtation in her eyes.

"You showered".

He nodded. "You didn't invite me", she added.

She patted the bed beside her when he remained rooted in place. Lukas crossed the room, sitting down. "Sorry".

Elise considered his apology. "That's alright. You can make it up to me", she said as she scooted closer, lifting her arms to wrap them around his neck. The action caused the sheet to slide down to lay in a soft pool at her waist. She pressed her body to his, missing the feel of his skin against hers. It was enough to heat the blood in his veins but he made no move to touch her.

Elise didn't notice his resistance. She traced the outline of his lips with her finger, reveling in their shape and the masterful way they stripped her of her senses every time he kissed her. She wondered if her kisses had the same affect. Did the world fall away? Did stars dance in tiny bursts of light behind his closed lids? Did he never want to be kissed by any other person ever again?

Because she longed to know, she kissed him, drawing his bottom lip into her mouth then releasing it slowly. She held his face in her hands searching it to if what she felt for him, about him, was reflected back. He gave her no chance to find what she looked for. His arm snaked around her waist; his other hand plunged into her hair and he crushed his mouth to hers, kissing her exactly as she knew he would.

The kiss drew the breath from her lungs.

She wasn't Hanna. She wasn't; he repeated over and over in his head as he gently pushed her backwards. Hanna hadn't made him feel this way. He never desired her like this; never.  As he covered Elise's body with his own, Hanna was forgotten....all thoughts of her disappeared; all worries evaporated.  

He made love to her slowly, taking the time he had not before, to explore every inch of her with hands and mouth. Every part of her became a permanent memory, etched into his senses; the touch, the taste, the scent. Her delicate jaw line, the column of her neck, the slopes of her breasts, curve of her hips with the tiny mole he discovered there; and, her sweet center, which he feasted upon like a king until both were panting.

Elise held out her arms to him. He gathered her close. Eyes locked on one another, she pushed her hips downward to meet his upward thrust. Her breath caught in her throat. Her body tensed slightly from the ache of their first bout of love making. Lukas kissed her brow, then her lips; the taste of her lingered there and on his tongue, which slipped into her mouth, dueling with hers. The heady favor ignited a spark that raced along her skin. Her body relaxed, opened for him.

Unconsciously, her hands slid from around his neck and found their way to his; their fingers intertwined. He began to move inside her and instantly they became lost in the bubble of space and time they created; a space where only the two of them existed.....if only for a while.

****

"So you were a cowboy, an actual cowboy?"

Lukas raised one eyebrow then chuckled at her excitement. "Yes". It was nice, sitting in the comfort of his kitchen, sharing conversation over sandwiches and beer.

"You rode a horse?"

"Yes".

"Roped cattle? Wore a......" She gestured with her hands, making the shape of a hat over her head.  "Stetson", she finally said, snapping her fingers.

"Yes and yes", he replied.

"Wow". Elise propped her elbows onto his kitchen table, resting her face in her hands. "I have met all types of people but I can honestly say you are my first cowboy".

"That was a long time ago. I haven't ridden a horse since my father sold the farm and my parents moved back to Germany. I got into the construction business with a friend before I left Montana; stuck with it in Hamsburg ".

"From Montana to Germany", she pondered, "Interesting move".

Lukas braced himself for what would come next.

"So, why'd you leave Montana?" She asked.

There it was, the question he wasn't prepared to answer. A stretch of silence passed between them.

"Lukas?"

The door buzzer sounded. For Lukas, it was a welcomed distraction from her question, briefly. He frowned, wondering who was at his door. He wasn't expecting anyone. He rose, leaving Elise where she sat. He peered through the peep hole, spotting Everett.

"Who's there?" Elise asked from behind him.

"You're father", he replied from over his shoulder. He heard her sharp intake of breath then caught the flash of his night shirt from the corner of his eye as she raced up his stairs.

Lukas opened the door to Everett, who greeted him with a handshake. He stepped aside, inviting Everett in. No sooner than they sat, Everett offered him an apology for what happened in Rosedale. Lukas waved the apology away. They sat and talked for quite some time, about Rosedale about Paul.

Everett was shocked that Paul was the culprit behind the sabotage. "I don't know much about Paul but I did not think he'd be the one", Everett stated.

"I didn't either", Lukas replied. "He doesn't seem the type".

Everett sighed. "No, he doesn't". He examined the bandage on Lukas's head. Elise mentioned when they spoke, that he'd been taken to the hospital. "How are you?" he asked.

"I'm okay; a little banged up but I've had worse".

Everett offered no comment. "Get some rest. Take as much time as you need to get better". He rose. "I truly am sorry you were hurt. I assure you I will get to the bottom of why Paul wanted to stop the Rosedale project and I won't rest until he is behind bars".

Lukas stood, walked him to the door. Everett held out his hand again. "You're a good man Lukas; honest and trustworthy I believe. I wouldn't blame you if you wanted out of the company but I hope you stick around".

With that said, Everett left without another word. If he was aware that Elise was there, he made no indication. Lukas sat, thinking over his situation, yet again.

 

Elise quietly paced the floor of Lukas's bedroom. What was her father doing here, when he was supposed to be at her aunt's? Was he checking up on her to make certain she handled the situation with the police?

Instantly, she resented him for not trusting her. He wanted her to take on some responsibility. In order for her to do so, he needed to let her. She huffed. She had a good mind to march downstairs and confront him about it, all of it.

She heard the sound of Lukas front door closing. She walked to the window and saw her father climb into his car and drive away. She descended the stairs to find Lukas sitting alone on his sofa. She'd heard the front door close and peeked from the window to see her father's car drive way. She sat down beside Lukas. He looked troubled. "What did my father say to you?"

"He apologized to me for what happened then he asked me not to leave the company". Lukas sighed. "He trusts me. He said I was a good man".

Elise was relieved that she was wrong about him checking up on her. "You are a good man", Elise agreed.

"Am I?" Lukas questioned.

Elise turned his face toward her. "Yes, you are". She kissed him. The kiss quickly intensified. Elise straddled his lap.

Lukas broke the kiss. "We have to tell him about us", he said.

Elise trailed kisses along the column of his neck. "Who?" she asked between kisses.

"Your father", he answered huskily. He took her face in his hands to stop her onslaught of teeth and tongue, which were quickly stripping him of his senses. "We have to tell your father".

He was serious. "Why?" she asked.

"Because he has a right to know", Lukas responded.

Elise shook her head. "No, he doesn't".

Lukas stood without warning and she fell off of his lap onto his sofa. "I won't go through this again. I won't sneak around", he hissed.

Elise frowned, not sure where his sudden anger was coming from. She rose. "I'm an adult Lukas. As an adult, I don't feel the need to share with my father about every man I sleep with".

Her statement sent a chill through him. The doubts and concerns from earlier returned and he wondered.....was he wrong about her after all? "I think you should leave", he said.

"Lukas".

"This was a mistake; one big, regrettable mistake".

He wasn't looking at her, so he didn't see the hurt slashed across her face or the threat of tears like glistened in her eyes. He walked away, going back into the kitchen, leaving her stand alone in his living room.

Minutes later, he heard his front door shut to the second time that evening. She was gone. He told himself it was for the best. Better to know the truth now and ended it before it went too far.

He nodded his head in agreement.

He had other things to focus on. Mila was scheduled to arrive in a few days. He missed her terribly; couldn't wait to see her. Transitioning to the States would prove difficult for her and she'd need all the time and attention he had in him to give to help her through the process.

He did the right thing, he told himself. Yes.....before it went too far, he added, again.

So, why did it sound like he was trying really hard to convince himself?

 

 

Chapter 11 by kwajeraspen

Chapter 11:

 

Lukas scanned the airport terminal eager to set eyes on Mila. His eyes darted back and forth, cutting through the crowd of people moving about. The terminal was jam packed; a fact which seemed to irritate him slightly. In his mind, they were in the way, delaying the moment he got to set sight on his little girl.

Lukas rolled his shoulders to loosen the tension building there. "Relax", he told himself. Of late, he was wound far more tightly then even he was use to. The tiniest things drew him to anger. Like yesterday, when he exploded on one of his crewmen after tripping over his nail gun.

The reason for his sour mood was not lost on him. It was exhausting as much as it was frustrating to be this constant state of flux. He was mentally in turmoil; a walking ball of distrust and desire. If the desire was based solely on lust, he could handle the war inside him better, but it was not. Somewhere amid the battle to resist and the need to possess, something else happened between him and Elise, something he could not quite put a name to but felt deep inside.

Her last words to him played over and over in his head. "I don't feel the need to share with my father about every man I sleep with", she'd said. "Every man I sleep with"....echoed in his head. Those words haunted him for the past week, causing all of his doubts to resurface. And, worst yet, grow. He boiled over with anger. He suffered from the ache of need. He.....did not know what to do with the emotions he opened himself up to.

"Vati!Vati!"

Mila's voice snapped him out of his thoughts. She raced towards him, her blonde ponytails bouncing around her head. She ran full speed ahead, expertly weaving through the crowd. Lukas's heart swelled with joy. She was the most beautiful of sights. The minute she reached him, he scooped her up into the air and hugged her as hard as he could without crushing her.

"I've missed you so much", he whispered into her ear.

"I missed you too papa", she said in near perfect English despite her accent.

Lukas set her on her feet then greeted his parents next, giving them both equally crushing hugs. The tension he felt before was gone and he welcomed the silencing of the war inside his head. "Come along", he said taking Mila's hand. "Let's go home".

Mila talked non-stop all the way from the airport. By the time they parked in front of the house, Lukas was up to speed on every detail of her life while they had been separated. He enjoyed listening to her, asking questions to keep her going on.

Once they were inside the house, she raced off up the stairs to see the room he decorated for her with his own two hands. While she busied herself, Lukas helped his parents removed the suitcases from the car.

After everyone settled in, Lukas made dinner and the four of them sat around the table enjoying their meal and more conversation. The conversation was loud and boisterous. His parents teased each other and Mila, and, him as well. They ate. They laughed. His father sang while everyone pitched in to clean up. The singing continued well into the evening, accompanied by dancing and more laughter.

Later that evening, with Mila tucked in for the night and his parents off to the spare room, he sat quietly in his living room. Mila loved her bedroom, which pleased him immensely. He wanted nothing more than for her to transition as easily as possible into her life here. She would, his gut told him.

"Lukas".

Lukas glanced at the wall clock as he rose from the sofa. "Mom, what has you up this late?"

She walked to him, handing him the box in her arms. "I turned over in my sleep and realized I had forgotten to give this to you".

Lukas sat the box on the sofa and opened it. Inside were framed photos. He lifted one of Mila; she was barely a year old. He smiled, taking the photo and placing it on the mantel above the fireplace. "Thanks mom", he said, stepping back to examine it. "She looks happy, doesn't she?"

"She was happy", his mother replied. "She still is".

"Thanks to you and dad", Lukas responded.

"No", she said. "Mila is a happy child because of you".

"I've wondered often what her life would have been like if....."

"You're a good father Lukas". She touched his arm then his face when he turned to look at her."You need to cut yourself a break. You have done nothing but torture yourself since you came to Hamsburg with Mila in your arms". She sighed. "Hanna chose to walk out of Mila's life. There is nothing you could have done to stop her".

"I should've...."

"Should've, could've, whatever the case. What does it matter now? Mila is healthy, happy and whole. I wish the same could be said for you". She took a seat on the sofa. "You're father and I worry so".

Lukas joined her. "You don't need to worry about me. I'm fine".

"No, you are not", she informed him. She brushed her hand against his hair. "When you were a boy, your life was filled with so much joy. You laughed all the time, about even the smallest of things. Your father was concerned that you might never be serious enough to be responsible. Me, I hoped no matter what the world brought your way, you would never be without the light inside of you that shined so bright you almost seemed to glow".

"I have not seen your light in a long time. It saddens me", she added. 

"Mom".

"Let me finish, please", she replied. "You're not just a good father Lukas; you are a good person, man. But, no one is going to know if you hide away, buried underneath the blanket of guilt and distrust you've wrapped yourself in".

"We all make mistakes Lukas; it's a part of being human. Our job, our responsibility to ourselves and others is to learn from them and grow into better people, not to beat ourselves down until we become shells of who we once were".

Lukas remained silent.

His mother stood. She leaned down and kissed him on the forehead. "Let go", she said, softly. "Let go so you can move on".

Lukas watched her until she climbed the steps and disappeared.

Hadn't he tired? With Elise, hadn't he dared?

****

Lukas had no way of knowing, but he wasn't alone in his turmoil.

Elise looked out over the railing, into the harbor, focused on the point where the soft glow of the night sky met the edge of the water. The night was calm and the waves reacted in kind, rippling and rising ever so slightly. She'd ventured out do to the overwhelming need for human interaction. Yet, while she'd sat in a club filled with people, she felt lonely. Finally, she'd left and made her way down to the harbor.

It was quiet out, especially for a Saturday evening. She'd seen just a few people scattered about; not that she truly paid much attention to know for sure. Her mind was elsewhere; on someone else, to be more precise.

A week had gone by; she'd seen no sign of Lukas nor heard a word from him. He made no attempt to reach out to her. He made no move to apologize or to help her understand exactly what happened. One minute they seemed to be connecting a way which suggested it was more than physical. Then, he hit her between the eyes with a complete 360 degree turn. She didn't understand.

How could he go from making love to her the way he did, to calling her a mistake and kicking her out of his house?

She rubbed her temples with the tips of her fingers, fighting the headache that threatened to return.  Headaches had become her new companions, greeting her each morning and laying with her each night. Every time she popped a Tylenol, she cursed her and Lukas in kind.

Damn him for being a heartless jerk. Damn her for falling for him. Damn her more, for still having feelings for him after he hurt her. 

Love sucked! It was the worst emotion ever created, she decided. Anyone who allowed their heart to open to it was an idiot.

She turned away from the rail, forcefully swiping at the dampness around the rims of her eyes.

"Elise?"

Elise took a deep breath steadying her emotions. She forced a smile to spread across her face as Devyn approached her, walking hand in hand with Jason.

Devyn sported her favorite colorful hat but this time, she paired it with a black coat. Jason wore a black coat as well. They made such a lovely picture, the two of them. They reminded Elise a lot of her parents, whom she'd walked in on earlier.

She had found her parents, dancing together in their living room, with the lights dimmed. She'd leaned against the frame of the archway, watching them for a while. They'd held each other close, staring into each other's eyes as they moved together, completely oblivious to her presence.

She didn't think she'd ever seen two happier people. After all of these years, she could see without a doubt that they were still very much in love.

When Devyn and Jason reached her, she greeted Jason then gave Devyn a long hug. "What are you two up to?" she asked after letting Devyn go.

Devyn rubbed her swollen belly. "The little one was restless and hungry, so we came out for a bite to eat then decided to go for a stroll by the water". 

"A very short stroll", Jason chimed in.

Devyn pointed her thumb in his direction. "Mister Worry Wart over there thinks it's too chilly out here Lemon".

"Who?" Elise asked.

Devyn looked down at herself, "Lemon".

"Lemon?"

Jason shook his head, "She's been at it for the past 2 weeks. First it was apple, then strawberry".

"Don't forget Pumpkin", Devyn reminded him.

"How could I", he replied.

Elise chuckled, "What if the baby is a boy?"

"Melon", Devyn replied quickly.

"Please don't encourage her", Jason said. "We are not naming our baby after produce". His cell phone rang and he moved away to answer it.

"He'll come around", Devyn said to Elise.

"No I won't", he said over his shoulder.

Devyn nodded when he turned back around. "I saw that", he said.

Devyn giggled. "I still can't figure out how he does that". "I've no intention of giving the baby a crazy name", she whispered. "I just like to poke at his practicality". She peeked at Jason, "He's so damn cute when he comes undone. Of course when he realizes I'm messing with him, he'll pay me back. Last time he tickled me until I almost peed myself".

Elise laughed, "Serves you right". She studied Devyn, "You really are happy, aren't you?"

"Blissfully", Devyn replied.

"I'm glad". She gave Devyn another hug; her fingers curling into the fabric of Devyn's coat before she let go.

"You okay?" Devyn asked.

"Yeah, I'm good".

Jason returned, placing his arm around Devyn's shoulders. "Your cheeks are turning red, let's get you home".

"Call me, if you need me", Devyn said.

"Will do".

Elise watched them walk away. She was wrong. Love, it seemed, only sucked for her.

****

Lukas brushed the construction residue from his jeans as the elevator ascended to his destination. He should have brought a change of clothing he thought, then again, he'd no idea Everett would summon him to the office today.

Of all the days for Everett to request his presence, this had to be it; the one day where he was at his dirtiest. Drywall dust covered his jacket, his shirt, his pants and his boots. To make matters worse, he was sweaty. Every man on his crew worked their hardest to complete the project in Rosedale. And he, not the kind to let them do it alone, labored side by side with them.

The project was nearing completion; all that was left were the finishing touches and the parking lot; which he planned to demo next week. With the end so close, he had been doing some soul searching. Among the things he contemplated was leaving Roberts Construction. To date, he remained undecided. The pros and cons must be weighed careful, he told himself again. Mila was in the States now and appeared to be settling in quite well. Would it be wise to walk away from the company? The money was nothing to sneeze at, Everett was a good boss and he genuinely liked working here. There was also stability, something he needed and wanted for himself and Mila.

So, why consider leaving? The answer was obvious.

The doors to the elevator opened. He stepped out and was greeted by the warm smile of Patty, the receptionist. She told him which conference room Everett was in and sent him on his way. Lukas stopped outside the conference door, brushing off his clothing a final time before knocking. Everett called out, telling him to enter.

Lukas opened to door, finding Everett seated. Everett gestured for him to join him. Lukas sat, taking the hand Everett extended and shaking it. "I wanted to share some news with you", Everett said. "About Paul", he finished.

"What about him?" Lukas asked.

"He's dead", Everett informed him. "He was found in a rundown motel in Virginia; an overdose. The police contacted me a little while ago".

Paul did not seem like someone with a drug problem, Lukas thought. But then again, he also did not seem like someone who would cause all of the destruction he did at the work site. "That's unfortunate", he said. "Now no one will know why he did what he did".

Everett nodded. "All we can do is move forward from here, which brings me to the other reason I called you in today".

 

Lukas tucked the accordion file under his arm. Inside the file contained the contract for Roberts Construction's next big project. "I'll be dammed", Lukas said to himself, thinking of the contents; a residential community, 250 townhomes with a clubhouse, 2 swimming pools and tennis courts. Between the demolition of the forestry, excavation, structuring and building, the project would take about 2 years to complete. His comment, however, was not drawn from the size of the project or the length of time; it came from his acceptance.

Well, he thought, looks like his mind was made up after all and he'd be sticking around for a while longer. There were consequences to his decision; he'd deal with them accordingly.

He was nearly to the end of hall when the core of those consequences came rushing from her office, crashing into him. The impact knocked her off balance and he automatically reached out, taking her by the arms and steadying her.

The contact sent an uncontrollable jolt through his system.

Elise felt it too; the spark of electricity. The heat from his fingers drifted through the material of her blouse, caressing her skin. In response, warmth rose to her cheeks, causing them to redden slightly.

He was holding her longer than he should. Once Lukas realized it, he released her and took two steps back, shoving his hands into the pockets of his jeans. As he did, he took in her appearance.

She was dressed in a navy blue skirt and crisp white blouse. Her hair, which he usually saw loose was pulled back into a bun. She looked professional, serious; not like the Elise he'd encountered, yet the impact was exactly the same. His blood stirred, heated, like it always seemed to do in her presence.

Elise tried not to stare but it was a losing battle. Even dusty and sweaty, he set her system off balance. Or, maybe, it was the barge of emotions flooding her thoughts that had her teetering.

She was angry, hurt, confused and in love with him. She questioned the sanity of the last, not for the first time. But, she knew herself, knew her heart. She loved him, despite his apparent personality flaws.

Neither knew what to say to the other, so they said nothing and the elephant in the room grew until both began to feel uncomfortable.

 

Everett watched the awkward interaction between the two curiously, thinking about the conversation he'd had with Elizabeth during breakfast.

"You look troubled", he'd said, noting how quiet Elizabeth was.

"I'm worried about our daughter. She's not herself", Elizabeth pointed out. "Haven't you noticed how different she is?"

Honestly, he had not. Between ensuring the completion the Rosedale project and the numerous others construction projects on his agenda, he hadn't seen much of Elise at the office. "She's been working non-stop on the preparations for the gala; she's probably exhausted", he'd replied, to which Elizabeth shook her head in disagreement.

"I'm not so sure, Everett".

Everett took her hand. "I will speak with Elise, make sure this gala isn't too much for her to handle", he assured Elizabeth, noting the concern in her eyes.

He saw Lukas turn and rush off then made his way down the hall.

Elise noticed the file folder lying on the floor in front of her. She bent, retrieving it. When she stood again, her father was standing before her.

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"Yes". She held the file out Everett. "Lukas dropped this. I accidentally bumped into him, rushing out of my office".

Everett made no move to take the file folder from her. "Let's talk", he said.

Elise glanced at her watch. "I have to run. I have a meeting with a potential scholarship sponsor".

"A new sponsor? Who?"

"Oliver Martin", she replied. "He reached out to me a few days ago, said he was interested in participating in the gala. I'm meeting him across town for lunch".

Everett nodded, running the name through his memory to see if it ran a bell, it did not. "Okay". He looked at the file she continued to push in his direction. "Drop that off to Lukas for me".

"I can't".

Everett raised an eyebrow, "I'm sure you can find the time to squeeze it into your schedule today. You'd be doing me a big favor".

Elise resisted the urge to sigh. "Alright".

"Thanks sweetheart". Everett gave her a kiss on the cheek. "When you get home tonight, stop by the main house, so we can catch up".

"Okay".

****

Her palms felt clammy, wrapped tightly around the steering wheel of her car. For the past ten minutes, she sat in her car outside of Lukas's house.  All she had to do was drop the file off to him at the door and leave. That was easy enough she told herself. So why did she not seem to be capable of getting out of the car?

She took a deep breath, her brow furrowing in determination. Scooping up the file from the passenger seat, she climbed out.

The walk from her car to his front door seemed to last forever. With each step, doubts began to creep in. At the top of the step, she stood staring at the door. "This is ridiculous", she said to herself. "Knock on the damn door". She knocked twice before noticing the doorbell. No sooner than she pushed the buzzer, the door opened slowly, revealing a blonde haired little girl with the face of an angel.

Elise glanced at the address number just to make certain she had the correct house.

 "Hello", Elise said after a moment. "I'm looking for Lukas Weiss".

"Daddy isn't home right now".

Daddy? Elise took a good look at the girl; her eyes were the same aquamarine as Lukas's. She felt her legs give out and grabbed the railing to keep herself from falling.

 A child? Lukas had a child.

****

Oliver sat alone in his hotel room, nursing a glass of aged brandy. Damn Paul for fucking up his plans and forcing him to handle matters on his own.

He sipped his brandy, looking at the scholarship application for the gala Roberts's Construction would be holding in April, which sat on the glass topped coffee table. He smirked, thinking of his meeting with Everett's daughter that afternoon. Elise Roberts was every bit as beautiful and charismatic in person as she appeared to be in the photos he'd seen of her over the years. She'd almost, almost made he want to drop the act and really go through with the sizable donation he'd promised her.

She was good at bending people to her will with those eyes, that smile and the goodness he glimpsed inside her. He bet she'd use that charm on many and never once, not gotten exactly what she wanted. Well, she was in for a surprise because this time she'd lose out, the entire family would lose out in the end. Then, he could concentrate on other matters.

He twirled the glass in his hand; his other purpose for coming to Baltimore revealing itself in the swirling dark liquid. He frowned, drinking the last of his brandy in one gulp. The heat of it rolled down his throat, settling into his belly, mixing with the fire already residing there. Yes, Elise Roberts was a beautiful young woman, but he did not desire her, she wasn't enough to stoke the heat of his need for another; the one that got away.

He'd come to Baltimore to claim her and he'd be damned if he left without her.

 

 

 

Chapter 12 by kwajeraspen

 

Chapter 12:

 

Lukas had a child.

Elise was never more dump struck then she was at this very moment, standing on the top step outside Lukas's home, clinging to the rail for support while she stared at the cherub faced girl who looked so much like him. The girl returned her stare, eyeing her curiously.

Dozens of questions raced through Elise's mind; just as many emotions coursed through her body. Then, a voice called out from inside, a woman's voice. The sound of it made both her and the little girl jump. The little girl responded to the question in the same way it was asked, fluent German, never taking her eyes away from Elise.

Elise backed down the steps on watery legs. She almost made it to the bottom....almost. The door opened wider and the woman appeared; Elise froze. What she'd expected to see was far different from the older woman with black hair that held streaks of gray. Her eyes were as dark as her hair and extremely intense; that piercing gaze directed right at her.

"Can I help you?" Adali asked. She'd come the minute Mila's used the words strange woman in her response to her questioning who was at the door. Adali awaited a response. She was polished and pretty Adali thought. And, nervous, she noted at the hint of flush which arose just underneath the golden brown hue of the young woman's cheeks. She was obviously caught off guard and unsure what to do.

Her reaction or lack thereof, poked at Adali's curiosity; she wasn't alone. Mila continued to stare at the woman as well.

As the pair watched her, Elise wished a hole could open up in the ground and swallow her but the hope was both foolish and futile. There was no escape from this awkward situation, so the only choice left was to walk away or finish what she'd come to do. She cleared her throat. Pulling the folder from underneath the safety of her arm, she made her way back up the steps. "Apologies if I disturbed you. I came to give this file to Lukas; he accidentally left it at the office". She held out the file, waiting for her to take it. The woman's face softened.

 "You work with Lukas?"

Elise cleared her throat again, "Yes.....yes, I do".

"Well, now. It's this a wonderful surprise? I didn't think we'd get to meet any of Lukas's co-workers". Adali stepped aside, "Please, come in".

Elise shook her head, no, but the woman held open the door; her friendly insistence that she come inside causing her to cave. Elise took a deep breath, exhaling slowly. Though her inner voice screamed she shouldn't but she ignored it. Her heart beat wildly in her chest, the sound echoing in her ears. Whom else would she find inside?

She did not want to know yet, she had to.

****

Lukas heard Mila's laughter and pulled the curtain to the kitchen window aside. Mila and Elise stood underneath the large tree in his backyard, chatting away like old friends. He couldn't make out what they were talking about but whatever it was made Mila's face bright with delight.  He watched Mila as touched Elise's hair, letting the strands roll off her fingers.

He frowned, not sure how he felt about Mila's instant fascination with Elise. Yet, a smile tugged at the corner of his mouth when Mila burst into laughter again.

He'd been a little more than surprised to walk into his house and find that not only was Elise there unexpectedly but that his mother had invited her to stay for dinner. Elise had been relaxed and comfortable with his parents and Mila, as if she'd had dinner with them a million times before. Now, the remains his mother's famous beef stew was put away, his parents sat in his living room by the fire and Mila took Elise out to show her the tree. Mila wanted him to join them outside but he'd used the excuse of needing to clean up the kitchen not to.

"Mila seemed to be enjoying herself", his mother said from behind him.

Lukas released the edge of the curtain letting it fall back into place blocking them from his view. "Yes she does".

"Elise is nice". Adali said.

 "She is", he agreed. "She's the boss's daughter", he added.

"So you've said", his mother replied. And more than once, she noted. She also noticed the way he'd looked at Elise when he forgot to be mindful. "Lukas is there......"

"Daddy!"

Mila's outcry startled her. Lukas was gone in a flash, out the back door.

Elise felt like the world's biggest dodo head. It was stupid of her to attempt to climb the tree. Not just because she clearly wasn't wearing the right shoes but because she'd never climbed a tree a day in her life. She and Mila were having so much fun and Mila really wanted her to climb up. She thought she could do it, that first branch didn't look so high, not until she slipped. Now she sat on the cold grass in her cashmere coat with a bloodied knee.

"What happened?" Lukas asked.

"Elise fell out of the tree", Mila said.

Lukas turned his attention from Mila to asked Elise. "Why were you in the tree?"

Elise flushed.

"Don't worry", Mila said to Elise. "Daddy is the best at taking care of boo boos".

Lukas scooped Elise up into his arms.

"I can walk", Elise said.

Lukas ignored her, carrying her inside and depositing her onto one of the kitchenette chairs.

"I'll get the first aid kit", his mother said. His father stood in the doorway to the kitchen saying nothing.

Lukas removed Elise's coat then knelt to examine her knee. From what he could tell it looked to only be surface scratches but he would not know for sure until he cleaned it. His mother returned with the kit and he opened it.

"This will sting a little", he warned. Elise hissed. A little hell! It stung a lot.

"Blow on it daddy; you have to blow on it like you do mine", Mila said.

Lukas hesitated then he gently blew on Elise's knee, his cool breath soothing the burn. His eyes lifted, meeting Elise's.

"Come Mila", his mother ordered. Mila, never one to defy her grandmother went with her grandparents reluctantly.

Lukas swallowed hard, lowering his eyes to place a bandage over her scrapes. His fingers brushed against her knee gently before he moved away and stood. As fast as it had come, whatever just passed between them was gone; it left Elise feeling chilled and she hurried back into her coat to warm her skin.

"I should go", she said, rising to her feet. She was angry; she hadn't realized it until now.

"Elise......" She was gone before he could say anymore.

He told himself not to follow her. But, he did so anyway. He shot out the house after her, never noticing his father sitting quietly on the sofa.

"Elise, wait".

Elise picked up her pace, refusing to stop. As fast as she moved, it was not fast enough to make up the difference in length of their strides. By the time she reached her car, he had her by the arms, turning her to face him. 

Elise's chest rose and fell, her breath coming out in short, quick puffs of air. "What for?" she asked breathlessly, "More punishment?" She tried to struggle free of his hold; he held her tighter. "It's done. You win Lukas, you're the champ. You proved that you are a better manipulator than me".

Lukas shook his head, "You've got the wrong idea".

"I bet you had a good laugh at my expense didn't you?" she continued, not hearing his reply. "Turning the tables on me; hurting me. Making me...." She trailed off.

"I never tried to hurt you".

"Liar", she hissed. "You played cat and mouse with me this whole time, pretending to resist then to give in. You made love to me the way you did then tossed my aside without a second thought. I cried over you; doubted myself because of you. I wondered why you didn't want me". She said more then she meant to but she was unable to control her emotions any longer. "Now I have my answer. It wasn't real; the way you kissed me, touched me. It was all a lie, because there was never a chance we'd be together".

She tried to struggle free again. "Let go of me Lukas. Go back to the daughter you never mentioned having, to the woman you share her with".

Lukas released her. "There is no one".

"I don't believe you".

"There is no one", Lukas repeated.

"Where is she, still in Germany? Waiting with baited breath for you to send for her?"

"There is no one!" He yelled, causing Elise to jump. "Mila doesn't have a mother; the woman who carried her for 9 months dumped her into my arms at the hospital and walked away". Lukas raked his fingers through his hair. "She didn't even bother to give her a name".

Elise's heart instantly broke for Mila. "Why?"

"Why?"  Lukas looked at her incredulously, "Because, she is spoiled, privileged and self-centered. She didn't want a child; that would have ruined her party girl lifestyle. She doesn't care about anyone but herself".

Elise's thoughts drifted back to the tonight he ripped into her at the construction site; he'd said similar things about her. He said he'd known women like her before. "And, you believe I am just like her. You think I am capable of doing something so horrific, as abandon my child?"

"I didn't say that".

"Yes, you did, in more ways than one". She opened her car door. She climbed in, shutting the door softly. Her hand shook as she placed the key in the ignition. As she drove away, she glanced at him through the rearview mirror. She almost wished there were another woman then the cut wouldn't run quite as deep.

Lukas entered the house, closing the door behind him a leaning against it. He rubbed his hands over his face. No one, not one other woman he involved himself with knew the truth about Hanna; now Elise did. As he'd stood at the curb and watched her drive away, he'd finally realized he was tired of running away from his feelings. Sadly, the realization may very well have come too late.

"Anything I can do to help?" his father asked.

Lukas lowered his hands. "No dad; nothing".

****

Kori grumbled her disapproval of the insistent ring of her doorbell. She climbed out of bed with the presence of mind to strangle whoever she found on the other side of her door. Then, she was going to go down to the lobby and beat the concierge with a blunt object for letting someone up this time of night. She paid good money to living in this condo community for a reason.

She peeked through her key and sighed when she saw Elise. Well, at least she knew how that someone gained access. It was no secret Lewis, the concierge on duty, had a huge crush on Elise.

She opened the door to her friend, stepping aside to let her in without question. Elise entered, plopping down on her sofa. Kori saw the bandage on her knee. "What happened to your knee?" she asked, going over and sitting down beside her.

"I fell", Elise replied absently.

"Does it hurt?"

"Not as much as my heart". She leaned over, laying her head on Kori's shoulder and burst into tears.

 "Sweetie, what happened?"

Elise continued to cry. Kori held her, rocked her until her tears became nothing but dry shutters of breath. "Tell me what I can do for you?" She'd never seen Elise this upset.

"Give me back my friend, because I miss her and I really need her".

"I haven't gone anywhere", Kori assured her, stroking her hair.

Elise lifted her head. "It feels like you have".

"I'm sorry", Kori said, feeling guilty. Elise was right, she'd been intentionally distant. "I'm here now and I promise I'm not going away again". She hugged her. "Talk to me. Tell me what happened".

"Do you mind if I do so over a bottle of wine?" Elise asked, wanting to drown her pain.

"Sure, whatever you want".

 

The next morning, Kori arose to find Elise still sprawled on her sofa. The empty bottle of wine and wine glass sat on her coffee table. She stared at her friend, her heart breaking. She quickly scribbled a note to Elise, telling her to stay as long as she liked, the she slipped into her coat and quietly exited, heading for her meeting across town.

Kori sat in traffic drumming her fingers against the stirring wheel. Her eyes darted back and forth between the two exits. One would take her directly into town; the other would take her into Rosedale. She bit the inside of her lip. Then, because she felt she needed to, she switched lane and took the Rosedale exit.

****

Lukas couldn't concentrate and, it had nothing to do with the noise outside the window. All night long, he thought about Elise. He hurt her. As much as he wanted to take it back, he was unable to.

She was right; he had thought her the same as Hanna more than once. Even after they slept together, he looked for reasons not to trust her or himself with her. Her words where true, he punished her, not because of any similarities to Hanna, but for the feelings he had toward her. Those feelings were terrifying so he sought to protect himself from them.

He almost laughed....almost. She accused him once of being a coward, stating he was afraid of her; turns out, she was correct. He was afraid of her, deathly. She possessed within her the power to knock down every barrier he took years to build around him. Hell, she already had knocked down most of them; the one remaining, the one he fought to keep standing was the one he placed not only himself behind but Mila as well.

He'd thought the reasons, right and true. The father protecting his daughter from being cast off by another woman who decided she wasn't worth the time and love she so richly deserved. For himself, the man who never wanted to make another mistake that would affect his life so deeply.

His damn wall, he discovered, was in his way. And, maybe, just maybe, Elise wasn't meant to knock it down because he was meant to. He just needed the courage to try. And, he needed the faith to trust her with him and with Mila.

The door to the trailer opened and a young woman entered. "Are you Lukas Weiss?"

 "Yes, I am. Whose asking?" he responded

Kori closed the door behind her. He looked exactly how Elise described him a while back. She hadn't lied about him being strikingly handsome with his head full of blonde hair and blue eyes; the angle and plains of his face, strong and masculine. "Hi, I'm Kori. You don't know me, Mr. Weiss but, I know plenty about you. And, I have to say, from what I've heard I don't like you very much".  

Lukas frowned, "Excuse me?"

"Elise is a great person. She is kind and loving. She doesn't deserve to be treated like a doormat".

"Hold on", Lukas said, rising.

His height and size caused Kori to do a double take but she held her ground. "No, you hold on", she huffed. "What kind of a person toys with someone the way you have?"

"I said, hold on", Lukas hissed, coming from behind the desk.

"She loves you, you asshole. And you've ripped out her heart", Kori spat.

"What did you say?" Lukas sunk down. Fortunately, the desk was there to catch him.

She'd gone too far. Elise would likely never forgive her but, there was no stopping now. "You really didn't know?"

Lukas shook his head, at a loss for words. It was obvious to him Elise cared...but love; he never guessed. How could he have when he was too busy pushing her away to focus on her feelings.

"Look. I know the whole story. I know what Elise tried to do to you in the beginning. That's not her, not the real Elise. She is honestly a beautiful person inside and out. You may not be able to see it or maybe you're just not willing to, but she is. Despite her mistakes, she deserves to be loved and respected, if you can't; if she's not the woman for you then leave her alone. Let her find someone who can".

Lukas's head was spinning after Kori left. Elise loved him. She hadn't told himself herself; he doubted her friend would confront him with a lie. Elise loved him. The knowledge left him dumbstruck. It also gave him the courage he sought to take that leap of faith he wanted to.

Damn! She loved him. And he......he loved her too. He was able to admit that to himself. Now, he needed the opportunity to admit it to her.

****

Elise's eyes flew open. She groaned, pushing her hair out of her eyes. She rolled over, burying her face in the cushion of Kori's sofa. Bile rose in her throat; a protest from her stomach for filling it with wine and no food last night. She made her way to the bathroom and vomited. Afterwards, she rummaged through Kori medicine cabinet, finding her mouthwash and using it to gurgle.

She lumbered back to the sofa, sitting down with a flop. Beside her, her purse vibrated. She reached inside, pulling out her cell phone. There were several missed calls. Two were from her father, one was from Devyn and the other from Keith. She tapped the screen. She wasn't ready to talk to her father and she skipped past Devyn, thinking Kori may have called her after last night. She didn't want to talk about Lukas right now. Choice made, she called Keith.

"Well hello there".

She smiled; glad to hear the friendliness in his voice. "Hey. What's all that noise in the background?"

"I'm at the airport", Keith answered.

"Airport? Where are you headed?" She asked.

"Seattle. My cousin's wedding. I'm the best man and the official wedding cake designer".

"Sounds exciting", she replied. "Take lots of pictures and send them to me".

"I wouldn't have to, if you were going with me".

"I wasn't invited", she pointed out.

"Stupid me", he said quietly.

"What was that?" she asked. "I couldn't' hear you".

Keith cleared his throat, "Do you have any idea how dangerous it is to go solo at a wedding?"

Elise chuckled, "I'm sure it'll be a hardship fighting all those eligible single ladies".

"Some of them can be pretty aggressive. Once, I returned home with bruises from being grabbed so much".

Elise laughed hard, "Stop it". She wished she were able to laugh with Lukas like this. The thought popped into her head and the laughter ceased.

"You still there?" Keith asked.

"Yeah, I'm here".

He paused. "All jokes aside, it's getting old you know".

"What's that?" She asked.

"Living the single life".

Elise sighed, "Tell me about it".

"No relationship, still?" Keith asked.

"Apparently not".

"My flights boarding", he informed her. "Elise...we should talk, when I get back".

"Keith. Have a safe flight", she said, hanging up without committing herself to anything.

 

Chapter 13 by kwajeraspen

Chapter 13

 

Oliver meticulously selected a tie from the fifty plus he brought along with him on his trip to Baltimore. Red was his color of choice for today. It went will with his current mood, speaking to his strength and power; to his determination to take action against those who he deemed enemy and those, whom he did not.

He took as much time grooming himself as he did making his tie choice. He picked everything carefully and with purpose, his suit, his shoes, socks, shirt. It was his way, no choice being made lightly, without thought. He understood early on that every decision one made, set off a series of events which greatly affected one's life.

That was what brought him back here, to Baltimore, the city of his birth. He hated this city. It brought back a myriad of unpleasant memories. As hard as he tried to fight it, he could not prevent his mind from wandering back to the hovel he called home in one of the most impoverished parts of the city.  He'd fought to claw himself out of that hell and he fought harder to make certain he'd never ever go back there.

As much as he despised his past, he must give thanks for what it made him today, he acknowledged. He was a man made of steel, willing to do anything to get what he wanted....what he deserved. And, he so deserved the revenge he sought against Robert's Construction; he so deserved the prize awaiting him at the end.

Desire burned low in his belly. He jerked his tie, pushing the knot upward, so tight he could feel it pressing against the base of his throat. He needed to conclude his business quickly, so he could move on to the more pleasurable part of his plan. His patience for his conquest was beginning to unravel, any longer and he wasn't sure he'd be able to prevent himself from dragging her kicking and scream into his bed.....again.

No, he scolded; this time would be different. His methods would be different. 

 

Oliver entered the jewelry store, going from display to display, waiting to find the perfect piece; the one which spoke to him. An eager young sale girl approached breaking his concentration. He sliced her with a look that sent her hurrying off in a the opposite direction. He didn't require her assistance; he knew fine jewelry like he knew himself. Once he found what he was looking for he motioned and the sales girl returned.

Gift, boxed and in hand, he exited the store; going just across the street to meet the reason he'd really gone into town.

The restaurant was empty; he knew it would be. He paid to ensure it was. He headed to the rear, seating himself at the furthest table. His breakfast companion was already there, waiting.

He set the jewelry box down and pulled out the envelope in his breast pocket, sliding it across the table.

 "For your lady?" the man asked of the box. Oliver offered no reply, sending him a look that suggested he concern himself with other matters. "You know what you have to do". The man nodded, the envelop disappearing as fast as it had appeared. "Contact me when it's finished".

****

Everett dialed Elise's number for the fourth time; she did not answer. Last he saw her, she'd had the odd encounter with Lukas he witnessed outside her office then he'd sent her to give Lukas the file he left behind when he dashed off. He told himself not to worry. Elise was an adult and she possessed the know how to take care of herself. Yet, he did worry. No matter how old, Elise remained his little girl, his angel. His innate instinct would always be to protect, defend and nurture.

He sighed. In Elizabeth's eyes, he coddled more than nurtured. But, what else was a father to his daughter, if not her everything? Is he not the man who is supposed to take the most care with her? Is he not the example by which she'd choose the man who would be her husband, father to her own children?  

That thought, brought him back to what he saw between Lukas and Elise. He glimpsed attraction, maybe more. That brought him to his next thought and he struggled to erase the idea from his mind. Could she be with Lukas right now, in his home?

Everett pushed away from his desk, rising to walk over to the window. The idea she might have shared Lukas's bed, did not sit well. The thought of her sharing anyone's bed made his heart palpitate. No father wanted to consider the fact his daughter was sexually involved with someone. He sighed. She was an adult, he told himself again; as such, she made adult decisions.

His next thought was, what kind of man was Lukas. To say he knew for sure bordered on a lie. Lukas was hardworking, loyal but not very forthcoming otherwise. Outside of the job, Lukas offered little information about himself. Then again, he honestly made no effort to get to know Lukas.

In the time Lukas worked for him, he treated him like an important member of his team but still just an employee; a resume in a file, a name on a paycheck. The only solid information outside of Lukas's skill set he possessed was the knowledge Lukas had a child. He only knew because during the hiring process, Lukas had informed him he needed to make arrangements for himself and his daughter to come to the States.

So, should he seek to build a better relationship with Lukas? Only if this thing between Lukas and Elise is serious, his inner voice stated. What if it weren't? What if this was casual?

His heart rate increase a few more beats per second and he rushed back to his desk needing to sit. Oh God! Could he handle it if they were having a fling?

"Daddy", Elise tapped softly on the open door to his office.

Everett's head shot up and he rose. "Hey baby girl". He moved from behind the desk. "I've been calling you all morning".

"I know. I'm sorry I didn't pick up". She took a seat.

"Are you okay?" Everett asked, coming to sit in the adjacent chair.

"I", Elise took a deep breath. "I messed up. I was irresponsible last night".

Everett's Adam's apple bobbed up and down in his throat. He steadied himself, preparing to hear her confession. "Whatever it is, you can tell me".

"I know I was supposed to come to the house for dinner but I stopped by Kori's place and well.....I had a lot to drink. I passed out on her sofa".

Everett inwardly breathed a sigh of relief. She spent the night at Kori's, not in a man's bed.

"I know I should have been more mindful. I should have thought about how my actions would affect me coming to work. The gala is so close..."

"It's okay Elise", he said, cutting her off. "You've been working non-stop on making sure the gala is a big success. I know there is a tremendous amount of pressure on you. If you need a break, just tell me. I'll understand".

Elise sat there thinking. "Are you sure?"

"Yes, I am sure".

"I'd like to go up the vineyard". She could use a break; a real break, so she could nurse her broken heart. 

"You always liked Martha's Vineyard in the winter", he recalled; not that they'd gone often during the winter months.

"Those are among my fondest memories of hot chocolate by the fireplace", she said. "Are you sure you are okay with me taking some R and R?"She asked. "Just for a few days", she added quickly.

Everett rose, walked over and kissed the top of her head. "Take as much time as you need".

Elise stood, pulling him into a hug. She held on, soaking up his love. "Thank you daddy", she said when she released him.

"See your mother before you head out", he ordered.

"I will".

Everett watched her go. There was more to her story than she let on. So, maybe she wasn't with Lukas last night but, something definitely was going on between the two of them.

****

Lukas glanced over at his phone for the hundredth time in a matter of minutes. "Call her", he said to himself. "Tell her how you feel". "It's too late", he thought right after. The argument inside him had been going on all night into the wee hours of the morning and still continued.

He did not sleep one wink last night and fought to resist the urge to go to her home, kick the door in and demand she hear out him.

He scratched his head. He messed up big time and trying to bully his way back into Elise's life was both foolish and selfish. Just because his boneheaded ass finally figured out what he wanted, did not mean he earned the right to have it; especially since it was already given to him and he did not treat it with the care it deserved.

He swore, smacking the phone away from him. The phone fell off the edge of the desk, landing on the hardwood floor. He scrunched his face, considering whether he may have broken it. "Fucking great", he said bending down to retrieve it. No sooner than he picked it up, it rang. Well, at least he knew it still worked.

He saw his father's name flash across the screen. He hesitated to answer, having avoided his parents this morning, slipping quietly out the door after kissing Mila on the cheek as she slept soundly in her bed. His father saw him go after Elise and the state he returned home in.

Lukas set the phone down, ignoring the call. A second later the phone rang again; his father again. He took a deep breath, answering. "Dad, I'm at work".

"I'm well aware, although, you went slinking outta here this morning without a word to me or your mother".

"Sorry", he mumbled.

"Not likely", his father retorted. "What's the big deal, leaving like that? I know that girl sent you back with your tail between your legs but that's no reason to hide".

"Dad, I don't want to talk about it", Lukas warned.

"Well, you're gonna, whether you like it or not".

"I'm hanging up", he stated.

"Fine, then I'll just come inside", his father announced.

"You're outside, the work site?"

The door to the trailer opened.

 "Dad, what are you doing here?"

"I told you, we're going to talk son, whether you want to or not".

Lukas shook his head, suppressing the urge to swear. Barret Weiss was every bit as stubborn and head strong as his name meant. "The Bear" as most of their friends and the family affectionately called his father, was obviously on the loose and he was in for one hell of a ride.

Lukas stood, mirroring his father's stance. Except for his father's graying hair, they looked almost identical. Both stood tall and broad shouldered, strong both physically and in shear personality. They bore the same aquamarine eyes and square jaw line, which was currently set to do battle.

"I don't have time for this", Lukas informed him.

"Tough shit", Barret replied. "Sit and listen".

Lukas crossed his arms, "I'm not a kid anymore dad. You can't order me around as if I am".

He folded his arms, mimicking Lukas stance, "Then stop acting like one and I won't".

Lukas sighed, lowering to sit on the edge of his desk. "Go on, get it over with; rip into me".

"Is that what you believe I'm here to do? It isn't". Barret sat on the edge of the desk which used to belong to Elise. "I'm here because I love you, Lukas".

"Dad".

"Hush and let me have my say", Barret ordered. "You're my boy and I love you. However, I can't say I'm a fan of this man you've stubbornly turned yourself into".

"Excuse me?"

"My boy, the one I raised was no chicken shit. He's the boy who took down Thunder", he said, referring to the dark brown stallion he'd brought home from his trip up north. "Damn horse was the devil. He'd buck, spit and kick if anyone tried to ride him; you didn't care. You jumped on his back, dug you heels in and took him for a ride around the pen".

"Yeah, and he threw my ass clear over the fencing".

"Didn't matter much to you", Barret pointed out. "You dusted yourself off, wiped you bloodied lip and went in for another round. No matter how many times he tossed you, you didn't get up".

"Elise isn't a horse dad".

"I'm aware of that. And you're missing the point", Barret said. "I raised you. I watched you grow and I watched you knock down every obstacle you ever faced. What happened? Why cannot you knock down this one?"

Lukas sighed again, "Elise isn't an obstacle to topple over, either".

Barret nodded, "No, but Hanna is. You've given her a power over you she did not ask for or want. She's out there somewhere, living her life her on her terms. You're here, stuck in the mud, afraid to get out".

"I'm not....afraid any more".

"Then go get your woman".

"I tried". Lukas rubbed his hand over his face. "I messed up. It's too late".

 "You tried and failed, so what". Barret came to sit beside him. "Do you care for her son? Do you want her?"

Lukas nodded, "Yes".

"Then, you try again". Barret gave Lukas's shoulder a pat then a squeeze. "For the record, your mother couldn't stand me when we first met". Barret chuckled, "She stood toe to toe with me, looked me right in the eyes and called me a caveman. I was instantly a goner".

"How did you win her over?"

Barret gave his shoulder another squeeze. "Haven't got a clue", he said then roared with laughter.

Lukas smiled for the first time since his day began.

****

Everett made his way to Elise's office to pick up the donation file. Initially he planned to have his assistant pick up Elise's duties until she returned; however, after thinking it over, he decided he'd hand things. Not, that he didn't trust his staff; he just wanted to do this for Elise.

She should be in the air by now, headed to the Vineyard. After learning she'd planned to drive, Elizabeth talked her out of it driving and onto a plane, he learned, when his wife called him. He was thankful Elizabeth talked some sense into her. He didn't like the idea of her taking an 8 hour drive up the interstate alone, especially with snow in the forecast for that part of the region. He'd already called ahead to have the house opened up for her. When she arrived, she would be greeted by fresh linens and a warm fire already stoked and awaiting her.

Everett frowned slightly. He hoped Martha's Vineyard would provide her with exactly what she needed; rest, relaxation and time to figure out whatever else was going on with her. God knew how much he wanted to interfere. It took everything inside him not to seek out Lukas and demand to know what was going on between them. Elizabeth convinced him to get Elise the chance to talk to them when she was ready.

He pushed open the door to Elise's office and stopped short.

Lukas rose. He was expecting Elise to come rushing in. "Everett".

Everett stepped inside, "Lukas".

"I was looking for Elise", Lukas offered in answer to the question written on Everett's face.

"She's gone".

"Gone?"

 "Yes, gone away for a few days", Everett answered.

"Oh", Lukas said absently. "I needed to talk to her".

Everett closed the door, "Let's you and I talk instead".

Sorry Elizabeth, he thought, he wasn't quite as strong as he believed.

****

 Elise exited the plane, stretching her legs. She stopped to sniff the crisp sea air. The Vineyard looked beautiful with the remains of the last snow coating the ground and trees. It reminded her of a postcard; one sent out during the holidays. Or, one of those tiny towns stuck inside a snow globe; when you shook it, the faux snowflakes would twirl and spin until they landed just perfectly, covering everything.

She smiled but immediately closed her mouth, placing her scarf around her face when a gust of cold air surrounded her. She needed get out of the cold and to rent a car, so she could get around town, since her mother talked her out of driving. As if on cue, a black SUV drove up and stopped in front of her. The window came down, revealing a friendly face, dark as chocolate.

"Lonnie!" She exclaimed, happy to see a familiar face. Lonnie was the caretaker of their vacation home in the Vineyard. She made certain the house stayed in order while they were way.

"Hop in, before you caught a bite of frost", Lonnie said.

Elise climbed in, taking off her gloves and placing her hands over the vent to warm them. "I've forgotten just how cold it can get up here", she said.

"Yup", Lonnie said. "And we're in for more snow this weekend". She honked her horn, "Hurry with those bags, will ya?" she shouted out the window to the two men removing Elise's luggage from the small plane.

"You're dad brought a plane?"

Elise laughed, "No, he just knows a lot of people who don't mind doing him a favor".

"You're parents are good people", Lonnie stated. "Helped out me and mine when we were down on our luck. That's why I don't mind taking on the responsibility of looking after their place".

She huffed. "Finally", she said when the last of Elise luggage was loaded. She glanced at the back of her SUV, filled with luggage. "You planning to stay a while?"

"Just a few days", Elise replied. "What?" She asked when Lonnie stared at her.

"Nothing", Lonnie said, throwing the SUV into drive and pulling out onto the main coastal road. "Nothing at all".

"Go ahead, say it".

"Looks more like you're running away than going on a vacation", Lonnie stated as she pulled to a stop outside of the beach front house.

"Maybe I am", Elise replied, climbing out of the SUV to look up at the two-story white and grey house. It was just as she remembered. Wow, she thought, it has been a while since she'd been there. The last few trips her parents took here, she was absent, too busy club hopping and shopping to take the time out to come.

"The fire place is lit and ready. The heat is turned on as well; should be nice and toasted inside by now", Lonnie informed her.

"Thank you", Elise said. Lonnie helped her inside with her bags. Once they were done, both flopped down on the sofa, exhausted.

Lonnie pulled off her hat, revealing her dark curly hair; it reminded Elise of Devyn's. "So, wanna tell me whatcha running from?"

"I'm not", Elise said.

"You said differently a minute ago".

"I said maybe", Elise pointed out.

"Umm hmmm", Lonnie responded.

Some part of Elise wanted to talk to her but she decided against it. She hadn't been around Lonnie in a long time and wasn't comfortable enough to share. "I'd like to get settled in", she said, changing the subject.

"Sure thing", Lonnie placed her hat back on her head. "If you decide you want to, I'm just down the road".

"Thank you", Elise said.

After Lonnie left, she settle on the bedroom at the rear of the house, instead of the master; the master was too large for one person. It only served to remind her that she was in fact alone. Once she unpacked, she changed into something warm and cozy. She took herself on a tour of the rest of the house, reacquainting herself with every inch of the place. Grand tour over, she settled in downstairs on the sofa with a cup of hot cocoa and watched the embers crackles in the fireplace. Somehow, inside the dancing of the flames, she saw Lukas face.

She closed her eyes, forcing him out of her thoughts. She came here to clear her head and to purge herself of Lukas Weiss. And, that's exactly what she was going to do.  

 

Chapter 14 by kwajeraspen

 

Chapter 14

 

 

 

“Where is she?” Lukas asked no sooner than the door closed softly behind Everett.

 

“Why do you need to speak with Elise?” He asked calmly, having no intention of divulging that information.

 

“It’s a private matter”, Lukas said just as calmly.

 

“I disagree, especially when it involves my daughter”, Everett replied. “Why do you need to speak with her?”, he asked again.

 

“With all due respect Everett, what I have to say is between her and I”.

 

“Respect?” Everett took a deep breath. “I’ve always fancied myself an astute judge of character; not often duped. Clearly I was where you are concerned. You speak of respect. I gave it to you, along with my trust and you…”

 

“You gave me neither. Let’s be honest Everett; you flat out lied to me”, Lukas shot back. “You brought me here, without full disclosure and put me in danger. I should have bailed on you then and there but I didn’t”.

 

“No, you didn’t”, Everett agreed. He frowned, “So you think, what? Elise is some consolation prize? That you’ve earned the right to sneak around behind my back and have an affair with her?”

 

“It isn’t an affair, damn it”, Lukas hissed, hating the word.

 

Everett noted the angry glare in his eyes and that his hands had balled into fists at his sides. If he didn’t know any better, he’d swear Lukas wanted to pummel him.  Taken aback, he paused.

 

Lukas ran his hand through his hair, struggling to control his temper. “It isn’t an affair”, he repeated. “Or any other meaningless term you can come up with. And, she’s not some attempt to stick it to you”. He was likely going to be fired, so he had nothing to lose, he decided. “I care for her”, he informed Everett.

 

“Care for her?” Everett questioned. Lukas gave him a look which suggested he’d speak of it no further, at least not with him. What Lukas did not say, spoke volumes.

 

Love. The word hung in the air between them. In his pursuit of the truth, Everett had not factored in the possibility of it. But that is what he was faced with. He was sure of it, as sure as he was that he stood in a room with four walls and a floor.

 

He wondered if Elise felt the same.

 

He thought back to how despondent she seemed earlier; her usually bright eyes, red rimmed and marred by dark circles underneath. He thought back, further, again to what he’d witnessed outside her office. Come to think of it, she had not been herself for quite some time.

 

He had his answer. Lukas was in love with Elise. And, she with him.

 

Everett found himself in a precarious situation as both an employer and as a father. As an employer he acknowledged company rules were broken; lines crossed. As a father, he wanted nothing more than for Elise to be happy. Which, she did not appear to be.

 

Lukas, upon closer examination, looked no happier. Despite the representation of his stance and the determined set of his jaw, he bore the same signs of fatigue.

 

He wondered if he was inadvertently to blame for their unhappiness. Had one or both of them reduced him to the classic cliché of the disapproving father who’d keep them apart? Elise’s happiness was important to him. The thought that he might be standing in the way of it did not sit well with him.

 

Lukas stood tall, refusing to apologize or feel ashamed. He was done persecuting himself, finally. If his career with Roberts Construction was over, then so be it. He’d find other employment. But, he wasn’t going to give up Elise. He couldn’t. “If you’re going to fire me Everett, go ahead. It won’t change anything”.

 

He planned to fight for Elise, Everett saw it in Lukas’ eyes; no matter to outcome. Lukas did not know it but a new level of respect developed between them. Here, Everett saw what he would want for his daughter; a man who’d fight for her, stand by her. And, if his instincts were correct, stand up to her when needed, just as he’d stood up to him.

 

There was much to learn about the man Elise chose to give her heart to; something she would not do lightly. He looked forward to the opportunity.

 

Lukas took Everett’s silence as an acknowledgement of his termination. He held his head high as he made his way to the door. He’d miss working for Everett and with the crew he had grown fond of. But he meant what he said; he wasn’t giving up on Elise. He only hoped she’d give him the chance to tell her how he felt and to repair what he’d broken out of fear.

 

“She’s in Martha’s Vineyard”. Everett hesitated then rattled off the address.

 

Lukas looked over his shoulder and nodded. “Thank you”.

 

“Oh and Lukas”, Everett said, “I will be expecting the two of you back in Baltimore and back to work first thing Monday morning”.

 

Lukas nodded again. As he stepped into the elevator and the doors closed, he wondered what the hell just happened. He still had his job. And, if he wasn’t mistaken, he had Everett’s approval as well.

 

 

 

After his conversation with Lukas, Everett decided to end his day early and go home to his wife. He snuggled up next to Elizabeth and filled her in on his conversation with Lukas. She’d known from the minute Elise’s strange behavior began, that a man was involved. Elise confirmed her suspicions before leaving for the vineyard but had not told her who.

 

She wrapped her arms around Everett and held him close to her heart. “I know it wasn’t easy for you to step aside”, she said.

 

“No, it wasn’t. Somewhere deep down inside me, I will always see that little girl who looked at me with bright eyes filled with adoration and admiration. To her, I was king of the hill; her hero. Her everything”.

 

Elizabeth kissed the top of his head, “You still are. But, little girls don’t stay little girls forever. They grow up and go off to live their own lives”. She could point out that Elise had been living her own life for quite some time but deemed it unnecessary. He was already feeling the pangs of a father realizing his daughter was a woman now. Instead, she held him tighter. “Elise doesn’t love you any less than she did before; she’s grown and her heart with her. There is just room now, to include someone else”.

 

Everett sighed. “I know. I’m just being a silly old man”.

 

“You’re not silly; you are a father who loves his daughter”. She lifted his face to place a kiss upon his lips. “And you’re not old; you are refined and still the sexiest man I know”.

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Yes”, she agreed.

 

“Have I ever told you how amazing you are?”

 

Elizabeth smiled, “Yes, but I never tire of hearing it”.

 

Everett chuckled. “You are amazing Mrs. Roberts”, he said.

 

“So are you, Mr. Roberts”.  “Elise is going to be okay”, she assured him.

 

“And if he breaks her heart?” Everett asked.

 

“You’ll be there to wipe her tears; we both will”.

 

****

 

Elise awoke on the sofa to bones chilled; the embers of the fire long since gone out. In her infinity wisdom last night, she’d turned the heat down to almost off, so that she could enjoy the comfy heat of the fireplace. Her teeth began to chatter and she pulled the throw from the back of the sofa, wrapping it around herself tightly.

 

Slipping her feet into her fluffy slippers, she dashed off to turn the heat back to its original setting. Once she’d accomplished her task, she headed to the kitchen to make herself something warm to drink. Unlike last night, when nostalgia made her instantly reach for hot coco, she opted for herbal tea, which she sipped lying in the chaise lounge underneath the living window.

 

Outside, snow began to fall in large white flakes, coating the ground and rooftops of houses already covered with the remnants of the snow fall just past. There was peace, tranquility in watching the way the breeze lifted the flakes, twirling them around and around before they fell gently. Again, the whole of it reminded her of a snow globe.

 

A smile tugged at the corner of her mouth. She wished this perfect scene could be frozen in time, untouched; lasting forever. Her smile faltered, it wouldn’t of course; no perfect moment ever does. She set her tea cup aside, placing it down roughly. Tea sloshed up to the edge then settled without spilling.

 

She rose, turning from the window. “Don’t”, she scolded herself. “Don’t make this about anything more than snow”.

 

Determined not to wallow in self-pity. She marched herself up the stairs. When she descended again, she was fully clothed and layered for venturing outside. Remembering she still lacked a mode of transportation, she called Lonnie. Ten minutes later, Lonnie’s black SUV pulled up outside.

 

“Where to?” Lonnie asked when she hoped in.

 

“The nearest rental car place”, Elise responded.

 

“Here ya go”, Lonnie said when she came to a stop outside the small building which housed the Hertz rental car center.

 

“Thanks Lonnie”. Elise gave her a hug.

 

“Any time”, Lonnie replied. She watched Elise exit. She rolled down her window, “Hey”. Elise turned. “I’m getting together with a few friends tonight up at The Lucky Lady pub in town. You should come”.

 

Elise smiled slightly, “I’ll think about it”.

 

“I hope you do, come. It beats the hell out of being lonely”.

 

Elise parked her newly acquire rental outside the house. The snowfall ceased, only blanketing the community with a light coating; however, that did not stop the streets from being slickened. She was thankful she had the presence of mind to opt for an SUV, as it navigated the roads with unmatched expertise.

 

Once again inside, she prepared herself a quick meal then settled on the sofa with a book. Half way through the book, she nodded off, drifting into a deep sleep. When she awoke again, day had become nightfall. Setting the book aside, she rose with the mindset to make herself something for dinner. Lonnie’s words echoed in her head, making her realize just how quiet and empty the house was.

 

She huffed. She wasn’t lonely, she told herself. She chose to come here. She chose to spend some time to herself. She’d no interest in mingling with a bunch of people she did not know.

 

Oh god! She sounded like she was trying way too hard to convince herself.

 

Her cell phone rang and she practically tripped over herself trying to get to it. She didn’t care who was on the other end, just so long as she made some human connection. “Hello”, she answered breathlessly.

 

“So you do still know how to use it”.

 

“Use what?” Elise asked.

 

“Your cell phone”, Devyn replied. “In case you haven’t noticed, I’ve called you several times”.

 

Elise recalled the first message she received while at Kori’s place. She hadn’t checked her phone since. “I’m sorry”.

 

“That’s it? You’re sorry; nothing else to say”.

 

Elise huffed, “Come on Dev, cut me some slack. And, don’t get worked up; it isn’t good for your condition”

 

It was Devyn’s turn to huff. “I’m pregnant, not terminal. I wish everyone would stop treating me like I’m going to break or something. I’m well; the baby is well. So, it’s okay to talk to me Elise or lean on me when you’re having such a tough time”.

 

She perched on the arm of the sofa. “Kori told you?”

 

“Yes, she did. How are you up holding up?”

 

Elise fell silent.

 

“Elise?”

 

“I’m fine”.

 

“Liar”, Devyn answered back.

 

Elise sighed. “Okay, okay. The truth is, I didn’t think anyone could ever hurt me, Devyn. Not me, not Elise Roberts. I was on my game; living my life, my way. I wasn’t looking for love. How did he manage to get to me?”

 

“You wanted him to”, Devyn said simply. “Just as no matter how hard I fought, I wanted Jason to”.

 

Elise shook her head, though Devyn could not see her. “Our situations are different. Yours isn’t a one sided love, Devyn. You love Jason and he loves you back. Lukas he doesn’t love me”.

 

“So you told him how you feel about him and he said he didn’t feel the same?” Devyn asked. “Elise? You told him, right?”

 

“There’s no point”, Elise replied. “He made it very clear that I’m am not the woman for him. And, I’ve come to realize, he’s not the man for me”.

 

“Are you certain?”

 

“Lukas and I don’t belong together”. Now, all she had to do was get over him.

 

After some consideration, she made the decision to take Lonnie up on her offer to hang out. What better way to escape her blues than to have little fun?

 

****

 

The Lucky Lady sat right at the edge Oaks Bluff, the small rustic looking building was almost hidden amongst the larger more vibrate establishments it shared the coast line with. From outside, Elise could hear music coming from inside.

 

She took a deep breath, exiting the SUV. Immediately second thoughts raced through her mind. Her mouth thinned, her brow set in determination. No cutting and running, she told herself. She rolled her shoulders, lifted her chin and walked inside.

 

The place was full of people laughing, dancing and drinking. The music pumping through the speakers was that new aged country sound which bordered on being more Pop culture then true country. She didn’t mind it; she like all genres of music.

 

The pub itself was as rustic on the interior as the exterior had suggested. The floors were made of rich dark wood. The ceiling held long beams of the same wood, while the walls are made of aged stone. The furnishings were also wood, sturdy in appearance. The look of it felt comfortable and friendly, putting her at ease.

 

She spotted Lonnie at a table by the bar. Lonnie saw her as well and waved her over. Lonnie rose, giving her a big hug. “Glad you made it”, she said.

 

Something in her voice made Elise suspicious; nervousness. Elise glanced at Lonnie’s friends, taking notice of the fact that there were two guys seated at the table and no one else but them. “Thanks for the invite”, she said as she sat, her eyes never leaving Lonnie’s face. She swore, she saw a hint of color rise from Lonnie’s chocolate cheeks and knew she’d been set up. She was pissed.

 

Lonnie cleared her throat. “Elise, this is Michael”, she said quickly, introducing her to guy seated closest to her. He was handsome, in a boyish sense, with his ginger hair and whiskey colored eyes. His features were pointed, his nose a bit long, but not so much that it distorted his face. His pale skin held a light brush of freckles, barely noticeable until you took a good hard look. The way he sat, leaning towards Lonnie, suggested they were more than friends. “And this is, Aaron”.

 

Aaron was darker, his skin the red of a Native American. His almond shaped eyes were so brown that they appeared to be black like his hair, which he wore at shoulder length. There was nothing boyish about his chiseled features; they were strong, masculine. His chin and jaw line squared, complimenting his high cheek bones perfectly.

 

Elise smiled politely and shook both their hands. When Michael and Aaron left the table to get a round of drinks, Elise turned her attention back to Lonnie. “I’m going to kill you”, she said.

 

“It’s not what you think”, Lonnie replied.

 

“Oh, so you didn’t set me up?”

 

“Well, yes but no”, Lonnie answered.

 

“What does that mean?”

 

Lonnie shook her head. “I meant Michael online. We’ve been messaging back and forth about a month and finally agreed to see each other in person. It happens that he lives in the area, so we decided to meet here. I was nervous, he was nervous so we each agreed to bring someone else along”.

 

“So I’m your designated wing man?” Elise huffed, rising. “I don’t appreciate put in this kind of position without my knowledge. You could have just asked me”, she said before storming off. She made it to the end of the bar before Aaron stopped her.

 

“Leaving so soon?”

 

“Afraid so, I have an earlier start in the morning”, she replied.

 

Aaron tapped his chin, “Or maybe Lonnie came clean and you’re upset”.

 

“Maybe”, she said. “So you’re okay with being a wing man?”

 

Aaron shrugged, “Perfectly.”. He cut his eye over towards the table. Michael and Lonnie were sharing something that put a smile on both their faces.

 

“So what do you get out of it? A hook up?”

 

“No, I get the chance to help my friend find love”.

 

“So the two of you have done this before”.

 

Aaron shook his head, “No, never. Mike’s not that guy”. “Two years ago he lost his fiancée to breast cancer; he was devastated. I watched him sink into depression, become introverted. It took a long time for him to recover. Lonnie is the first woman he’s shown any interest in since then. So when he told me about her and that he wanted to meet her, I didn’t hesitate to be here for him”.

 

 “I can’t imagine what he went through”, Elise said. “You’re a good friend”.

 

“I am” he agreed. “So, with that said, how about we support them for the evening, no matter how awkward it may be for us. Deal?” He held out his hand.

 

Elise relented, shaking it. “Deal”.  “Wait. Why is this awkward for you?”

 

Aaron smiled, “You’re not exactly my type”.

 

Elise raised an eyebrow. There’s a line she’d never heard before. “Oh really?”

 

“Sorry”. He leaned close to her ear. “I’m more into cute blonde haired men than pretty golden skinned women”.

 

“No. Seriously?”

 

“Afraid so”, he said. “But if I ever decided to venture into that territory, you’d definitely be on my list to call”, he said. He laughed, slinging his arm over her shoulder and leading her back to the table.

 

Elise sat, more relaxed than she’d been in the beginning. Before long, she chatting and laughing along with everyone. The night took a turn for the better and her mood along with it.

 

*****

 

Lukas folded the last of his clothing and placed the items into his overnight bag. When finished, he sat down on his bed beside the bag thinking of what he would say to Elise when he saw her. His parents told him to keep it simple, tell her how he felt about her. Their advice was sound, but not so straightforward as they believed.

 

Theirs was a train wreck of a relationship, filled with mistakes, misunderstandings, misjudgments and missed opportunities. It began the night he took her back to his hotel, a complete stranger, prepared to indulge in a night of drunken sex. From there, it was a downhill spiral. Yet, somewhere between the games and fights, amid chaos they created, real feelings developed.

 

He pondered the idea of it; him and her.

 

Any reasonably sane person would run for the hills, rather than risk everything on a potential disaster. Apparently, he did not fall into that category because he was running straight toward it. He had to. His gut and his heart told him that going after Elise was right. Maybe, love for him was not meant to be some perfect recipe. Maybe it was meant to be a big blob of a mess that he molded into something wonderful.

 

He frowned. Yup, he definitely was not of a sane mind. Then, the corners of his mouth turned upwards. “So what!”, he thought, standing and grabbing his bag. She was worth every layer of sanity he shed for her.

 

 

 

Chapter 15 by kwajeraspen
Author's Notes:

Apologies for the long hiatus. I wrote and rewrote this chapter many times....then the murder of my nephew happened and I am just getting to a place where I feel like I can continue existing. I hope this chapter finds each of you well and brings a bit of joy to your lives. Peace and blessings.

 

Chapter 15

 

 

 

Lukas gave Mila another big hug, swallowing her in the folders of his large arms. He placed a kiss upon the top of her head. “I won’t be gone long”, he promised her for the third or fourth time, before releasing her.

 

“Okay”, Mila replied with a smile, cutting her eye at her opa.

 

Lukas did not miss the sly grin or twinkle of playfulness his father attempted to conceal. The two of them were obviously cooking up something; not for the first time. He eyed them both suspiciously. “Alright you two, what gives?”

 

Mila bit her lip to prevent herself from confessing. His father slapped him on the back. “Nothing. You go on now, take care of what you need to. Everything will be fine here.

 

Lukas frowned, “Dad”.

 

Baret grinned, “Lukas”.

 

“Dad”, Lukas said again, shooting him a warning look.

 

“Oh Baret, behave; you too Mila” Adeli said, having emerged from the kitchen to see Lukas off. Her husband and granddaughter were two peas in a pod. They spent most of last night in her room whispering and giggling about whatever is was they were planning. “Don’t worry over these two, I’ll keep them both in line”.

 

“I know you will”, Lukas replied. He pointed at Mila and his dad. “Have fun on your adventure. Nothing too crazy and curfew is still in effect”. He checked his watch, it was well after 11pm. “And, bedtime”, he added, “’Which you are already past young lady”.

 

Baret saluted, “Aye, aye captain”. Earning a glare from Lukas, which made him grin even wider.

 

Adeli gave him a swat on the rear, Mila laughed. “Gave your father another hug then up to bed”, she instructed Mila. Once Mila was gone, she kissed Lukas on the cheek. “I hope you get what you want”, she said.

 

“So do I mom”.

 

“Call us when you arrive, so we know you make it safely”.

 

Lukas nodded. He started towards the door but stopped, turning to take a good long look at his parents. They were the best, he acknowledged. They might not know, but he was aware that they stayed longer in the States then they had planned. He was also aware they had not stayed just to help Mila with the transition. They remained for him as well; to give him the emotional support he’d never openly ask for. And, they would stay indefinitely, without question, without being asked and without any reservations. He wasn’t sure he deserved parents like his, but he was extremely grateful to have them.

 

Baret frowned, “You okay son?”

 

“Yeah dad”. He dropped his bag, walked back and gathered them all into one big hug. “I love you so much”.

 

****

 

Elise laughed so much that her ribs began to hurt. Lonnie was right, a night out had done wonders for her. She felt lighter, more at ease. The Lucky Lady closed over an hour ago and she was now relaxing in the comfort of her family’s vacation home. And, not alone. She invited Lonnie to hang a little while longer.

 

They sat on opposite ends of the sofa, each with their legs tucked comfortable underneath them and their heads rest again the pillow like softness of its cushions. In front of them, the fireplace crackled to life, the flames dancing about as they gave warmth and light to the room.

 

The two shared stories, filling in the gaps of time since they had last saw each other. Lonnie was still vibrant and full of energy, which made Elise wonder why she’d chosen to seek out love via the internet. Not that she was judging her. She found herself in no position to do so, seeing as her own love life was a wreck. And besides, by all indications, Lonnie may very well have found her Mr. Wright.

 

It seemed everyone else had success where she’d failed. Again, she wondered if maybe love was out of her reach; meant for others but not her.

 

She sighed, thinking she’d done so inwardly. The lightness of mood she felt moments ago began to fade.

 

Lonnie saw the change in her face expression. She wished she’d share but understood and respected her right to privacy. After all, they had not seen each other in years and they did not have the strongest of friendship bonds, being it a part-time friendship to begin with.

 

“So, what did you think of Michael?” she asked to distract Elise from her own thoughts.

 

“He seems really nice”, Elise replied

 

“He is”, Lonnie nodded in agreement.

 

“And very into you”, Elise added.

 

Lonnie smiled, “Looks like, huh?”

 

“No, he definitely is. And not in a sleazy take advantage way”.

 

Lonnie shrugged, “I don’t think I’d have mind if he tried to take advantage just a little”.

 

She wiggled her eyebrows and Elise laughed. “Maybe next time”.

 

Lonnie grinned, “Maybe”.

 

Elise drummed her fingers on her leg, contemplating whether or not to ask her next question. Because she needed to hear the answer, she decided to go ahead and inquire. “Why the internet? You’re pretty and friendly; smart. Why does a woman with all those qualities search out companionship online?”

 

Lonnie thought over Elise’s question before responding. “Because I’ve tried everything else. Because up to now all of my other choices have had disastrous outcomes”. She shrugged, “Because I am tired of being lonely”. “I’m not as fortunate with my options as some”.

 

“Like who, me?” Elise asked.

 

Lonnie nodded. “Elise Roberts; the woman whose time and attention, ever man within her radius seeks to have”, she said, hoping maybe Elise would open up and tell her why was she in the Vineyard alone and from what Lonnie could tell, sad.

 

“Not all of them”, Elise said without thinking. She swore silently. “Aaron is gay, remember”, she pointed out quickly to cover her error.

 

“Hey, I had no idea”, Lonnie said lightly. Clearly, Elise wasn’t going to share.

 

Elise forced herself to smile, believing she’d covered her tracks. “Well, he did say if he ever decided to switch teams, I’d be first on his list, so that’s something, right?”

 

Lonnie giggled, “Absolutely”. She stretched, yawning. “I think I’ll head home now; get a little sleep”.

 

“Are you busy tomorrow?” she asked at the door.

 

“I haven’t made any plans, why?”

 

“Michael and I are going to go ice skating in the morning. You should come along”.

 

Elise frowned, “And be a third wheel; I don’t think so”.

 

“How about if Aaron comes along? We all had fun together tonight didn’t we?”

 

“Yeah, sure; why not. Come pick me up”.

 

Lonnie nodded, “Be ready by 8. The earlier we get there the less crowded it will be”.

 

Elise nodded, “Will do”.

 

Elise hung out alone by the fire for a while longer. When the fire began to dance in a more human-like fashion, she accepted defeat and decided to turn in for the night. She dragged her exhausted form up the stairs and flopped down across the bed still fully clothed. Her eyes shut instantly and she drifted off into sleep unaware that the very reason she’d sought out the vineyard was about to come calling.

 

****

 

Elise secured her rented skates to her feet, the whole while cursing herself for agreeing to accompany Lonnie ice skating. She hadn’t donned a pair of ice skates since she out grew pigtails and discovered far more interesting hobbies. She told herself it was like riding bike; once you’ve done it, you never forget. Then, she remembered she was never very good at riding a bike.

 

She watched Lonnie navigate the pond like a professional with Michael right at her side. He looked equally as at ease on his skates as Lonnie. Taking a deep breath, she tightened her scarf around her neck and rose slowly to her feet. “Okay Elise, so far so good. You can do this”, she told as she stepped onto the ice. She glided a few feet then wobbled but she righted herself, holding out her arms for extra balance. Taking a deep breath, she pushed off again. Lonnie skated by, waving. “Yea, hi”, Elise said without waving back. When Lonnie spun into a twirl she glared at her. “Show off”, she mumbled. When Michael flew by her, she glared at him as well then stuck out her tongue at the pair of them.

 

“Careful, it might become frozen in that state”.

 

Elise jumped but smiled, recognizing Aaron’s voice from behind her. “Wouldn’t that be something”.

 

“A story to entertain the masses”, he said, skating to her side. His arm circled her waist, aiding her balance.

 

“Indeed”, Elise replied, unaware that she was skating faster and in sync with him.  “Thought you couldn’t make it”.

 

“My other plan got cancelled”, he said emphasizing the word other.

 

“His loss” She said looking up into his handsome face. Her image reflected in his dark irises.

 

“Damn right it is”. He smiled. “That’s my reason. How about you? What prompted you to agree to chaperone our budding couple?” He asked.

 

Elise shrugged, “It was either this or grocery shopping. This seemed more fun”.

 

“No doubt”, he said. “Check you out you’ve gotten your skating legs”. He showed her his hands, so she could see he was no longer helping her.

 

“Yay me!” Elise screamed. She scanned the ice to find Lonnie. “Where’s Lonnie?”

 

Aaron grinned, “She and Michael snuck off a while ago”.

 

Elise laughed, remembering her conversation with Lonnie the night before. “Oh wow. She ditched me for a booty call. That slut, she was my ride home”.

 

Aaron laughed. “I guess I’m your ride now”.

 

“Ready whenever you are”.

 

“I’ve been ready. It is freezing out here”, he informed her.

 

Elise nodded in agreement. “Race ya to the edge”, she said taking off lightning fast.

 

 

 

Lukas pulled his truck to a stop behind the black SUV, parked outside of Elise’s family’s vacation home. He studied the structure, getting the feeling of warmth and family, she had described to him once. It made sense, she would come here, to a place filled with fond memories of a time in her life less complicated. He, himself, had often wished he were able to return to his family’s farm in Montana; where he’d grown from a boy to a man under a loving roof. However, unlike Elise, he could never go back. And, he memories never physically revisited. 

 

His acknowledgement of his reality was not designed to drum up his regrets, so he held them at bay. They had no place in his pursuit to move forward other than to clear the air with Elise. Then, he’d lock them away forever, making room for the new memories to come. He wanted nothing more than to begin to live again; really live a life of love and happiness with Mila and Elise. He wanted Mila to have moments like the ones Elise shared with her parents. And, he wanted to have moments with Elise like the ones his parents shared.

 

If he regretted anything at all right here and right now, it was that it took him so long to realize how much he’d hindered all of the above. If he acknowledged anything at all right here and right now, it was that he’d accomplish nothing sitting outside her door, hoping.

 

Snow began to fall in fat white flakes, landing on the hood of his truck. He took them as a sign to get on with what he’d come to do.

 

 

 

“I won, I won”, Elise sang over and over.

 

Aaron chuckled, coming to a stop outside her home. “With some assistance”, he pointed out.

 

“Hey, it’s not my fault your cellphone chose that moment to ring”. She danced in her seat. “I won, I won”.

 

Aaron poked her in the arm, “I want a rematch”.

 

“I’ll just win again but sure”.

 

“We’ll see. For now, out. I have somewhere to be”.

 

Elise grinned, “I take it your other plan is back on”.

 

Aaron matched her grin with his own, “It appears so”.

 

“Well, enjoy. And, thanks for the lift home”.

 

She waved to Aaron as he drove away, smile still in place. It was not until she started up the walkway that she noticed the truck parked behind her rental; not just a truck, but whose. She told herself she was hallucinating.  Lukas could not be there because he had no idea where she’d gone. She almost convinced herself it was all in her head but then the driver door opened and he stepped out.

 

Panicked, she turned and raced up toward the house. She flew up the porch steps. She did not see the thin patch of ice on the top step. Her feet slipped out from under her and she fell back. Lukas caught her, scooping her up and carrying her up onto the porch.

 

In his arms was the last place she wanted to be and the only place she longed to be. She could feel the warmth of his fingers through her jeans and smell the scent of his skin just above his scarf, where his neck was exposed. The whole of it overwhelmed her senses. She pushed against his chest, needing desperately to put space between them before she did something stupid, like kiss him. “Put me down Lukas”.

 

Lukas careful set her down. Once she was steady enough, she fumbled through her coat pocket for her keys and opened the door.  

 

“Can I come inside?”

 

Elise hesitated then she stepped aside to let him enter.

 

“Thank you”, Lukas said.

 

Elise did not reply. She shed her coat and hat, hanging them on the banister then she headed toward the kitchen. Lukas took off his coat and followed her. He stood in the archway, watching her as she pulled out a tea kettle, filling it was water. He found the act interesting as she completely disregarded the practically brand new Keurig sitting on the counter beside the refrigerator. He said nothing as she set the kettle on the stove and turned on the burner. He said nothing as she pulled tea bags and sugar from the cupboard. He remained silent as she took her time selecting two mugs. The silent grew deafening. “Elise”.

 

“How do you like tea, with lemon or without?” She asked.

 

“Elise”.

 

“Or maybe you’d prefer flavored tea instead”. She rummaged through the cabinet again, looking for more tea.

 

Lukas crossed the kitchen to where she stood, “Elise”.

 

“Raspberry; peach perhaps”, she said. The kettle whistled causing her to jump. “I forgot it did that”. She laughed nervously, shutting it off. “So which one?” she asked, showing him both selections.

 

“Forget the damn tea”, he said taking the boxes from her and sitting them on the counter. “I didn’t come here to sip tea”.

 

“Why did you come?”

 

“To tell you my story, if you’ll hear it”.

 

****

 

Elise settled in on the sofa, preparing herself to hear Lukas out. Her whole reason for coming to the vineyard was to put distance between them, so she could break the one-sided emotional bond between them. Yet, she was unable to say no to his request to allow him to share this story inside him.

 

She feared the knowledge of understanding him completely; of what it may do to her. She already loved him. If she fell any deeper, she might very well lose herself forever. That was not the life she wanted for herself; floating in an abyss of unrequited love. Just the idea made her second guess her decision to hear what he had to say.

 

Elise was anxious. Lukas saw the evidence in her attempt to keep her facial expression blank. Hell, he didn’t blame her. He was equally on edge. One, because he’d never told anyone the story of Hanna. And, two, because he could not anticipate how she’d respond to what he’d say. After all he put her through, she might very well not give a damn.

 

Honestly, he’d never know unless he got on with it.

 

Elise watched him pace back and forth in front of her. The war inside him, played out in his body language. For the first time since they met, she glimpsed a hint of just how badly the events of his past affected him. The anger that almost always seemed to be simmering was, she figured out, really pain.

 

A part of her wanted to comfort him; to let him know everything would be okay. But, a stronger part of her warned her to keep her distance. So, she remained where she was, watching him struggle to share the story he drove 8 hours to.

 

“Riley and I met in high school and he became my best friend”, he said suddenly. “Hell, for more years than I can count, he was my only friend. I wasn’t exactly a social kid. I spent more time on the farm than anywhere else, so the majority of my interaction was with my parents, farmhands and the animals we tended. I wasn’t completely naïve. My father taught me about the world and people. But, when you are thrusted out there, you can get lost in it all. Especially, when the people you interact with aren’t from the world you are used to”.

 

He shoved his hands into the pockets of his jeans. “That was what it was like with Riley. He grew up different; his life was easier. He didn’t have to work to help bring income in for the family; his had more money than they knew what to do with”. “I wasn’t jealous, nor did I wish his life were mine. I had a happy, stable home life. We never discussed the difference in our lifestyles or let it affect our friendship. We were good, solid until Hanna came home from college. I hadn’t met her before then. She spent her childhood years away at boarding school”.

 

“While Riley was modest, humble about his upbringing, Hanna embraced every privilege. She took full advantage of her place in the world. She was this hurricane, larger than life, full of energy; vibrant and beautiful”. He meant Elise’s eyes across the room. They held each other’s gaze. “I was instantly attracted to her. In my head I knew I shouldn’t be but I couldn’t help it. And, she made it known, she was attracted to me as well. She flirted, she teased. I held her at bay for a long time. Then one night I let alcohol do my thinking for me. I woke up in a hotel room to a note from her saying thanks for the ride”.

 

He looked away, disgusted, “After that night, I hadn’t seen or heard from Hanna. Riley told me she’d up and took off to God knows where, without a word to her family. She sent Riley a picture of herself partying it up in New Orleans. Then, a few weeks later, she showed up on my doorstep intoxicated, cursing and screaming at me for getting her pregnant. She told me that there was no way in hell she was going ruin her body or give up her life for a damn baby and she wasn’t keeping it. I became so angry. Before I knew it, I had her by the collar threatening her bodily harm if she even thought about killing my child”.

 

He began to pace again. “So, we came to a mutual agreement that she would have the baby. We didn’t communicate much during the pregnancy. We remained at odds and my friendship with Riley was over. I thought maybe, just maybe, after the baby was born all could be forgiven and we’d move past the mistakes but that didn’t happen. Hanna dumped our baby girl in my arms and walked out of the hospital without looking back. As for Riley and his parents, they tried to take Mila from me. I broke Riley’s nose then I packed up Mila and moved to Germany with my parents”. “I blamed Hanna for it all but I am equally to blame. I ruined the best friendship I ever had, destroyed my career and Mila grew up without a mother to love her”.

 

“Every time she feels an ounce of pain because of what I did, it rips me in half”, he confessed. “I don’t want to do anything to hurt her more than I already have”. So he runs and fights feeling anything for anyone, he said to himself.

 

“We all make mistakes”, Elise said after he fell silent. Her heart broke for him. “You have to accept the one’s you’ve made and forgive yourself. And trust that you’ve learned from them, so you will not repeat them”.

 

How many times had his parents told him the same?

 

“I’m trying”, he said. “That’s why I’m here. I want to trust and move forward; I want to do so with you”.

 

Elise felt the blood drain from her face. “I-I don’t understand. You don’t want me. You think I’m just like her”.

 

“I was wrong. And, I do want you, Elise, very much; more than I’ve allowed myself to ever want anyone”. He took a deep breath. “Elise, I….”

 

She saw what he was about to say, written on his face and it scared the hell out of her. She rose quickly. “Don’t”. She shook her head. “Don’t do this to me. You hurt me in ways I didn’t think possible. I came here to get over you. You can’t….you just can’t”. She took off, racing up the stairs, shutting herself in her room and locking the door.

 

****

 

When she found the courage to emerge from her room, she ventured downstairs to find Lukas resting on the sofa. On the floor, sat a duffel bag she hadn’t seen earlier. She knelt down beside him, studying his sleeping face.

 

Upstairs alone in her room, she had time to process what he shared, what he almost said to her and her own feelings. She never expected, but for her dreams, he was capable of loving her. Not just because of his past but because of who he believed her to be. Again, she accepted her part in how he saw her. She had not painted to best picture of herself in the beginning; seeking to seduce him in a childish revenge plot. But, as time moved on, she hoped he’d see who she really was. She thought he had not, now he was here, showing her and telling her differently.

 

She chewed over how to handle this turn of events. Did she stick to her guns and stay away or did she get them another chance….a real chance, to make it work?

 

 She continued to study his face, drinking in all the little details one can miss when the object of their affections is in motion; like the faint sign of the small scar just behind his left ear, long ago healed. There existed a story she longed to hear along with many others. She wanted to know more about the boy who grew to be the man lying on sofa of her family’s vacation home. She wanted to know more about the man, whom she’d like to spend the rest of her life with.

 

She sat back on her heals. Yeah, truth be told, there would be no getting over him. He was her first love. Funny, first loves usually happened to teenage girls crushing on a boy. She never experienced crushes, not from her side of the fence, or teenage heartbreak. She’d always been the one someone else wanted. But here she was at 26 years old, experiencing love for the first time. She did not look down upon herself for it. Maybe, she was just one of those people who weren’t meant to feel this way until now. And she did, love him.

 

She sighed, leaning forward again. Then, unable to resist, she traced the outline of his scar with her thumb. His eyes drifted open, revealing aquamarine irises she couldn’t help but get lost in. Neither said a word.

 

“Say it”, she said after a moment.

 

“I love you”, he said.

 

“Now kiss me”.

 

He granted her request, leaning up to touch his lips to hers. She fisted her hands into his hair, increasing the pressure of the kiss. Before he could deepen the kiss further she pulled away. “I love you too”, she said, unaware that Kori had already told him how she felt. He attempted to kiss her again but she placed her hand over his mouth. “But, I have a proposition”. She lowered her hand. “I propose that we wipe the slate clean and start over”.

 

“Start over?”

 

“Yes, start over. Forget how we began, build a better, strong relationship. Take it slow; get to know each other as the people we are today, not those two people who met in a bar and found themselves, as strangers, about to have sex in a hotel room”.

 

“Aren’t we pass that? We love each other”, he pointed out.

 

“Yes, but we don’t really know each other, Lukas”. She touched his face, “I’m not taking back what I said. I do love you. And I want to experience every aspect of being with you, including friendship”. She searched his face, “So what do you say? Will you build a friendship with me?”

 

He nodded.

 

She smiled. “Should we shake on it?”

 

“We could”, he replied. “Or we could seal it with a kiss”.

 

She wrapped her arms around his neck. “That’s sounds even better”.

 

“I’m sorry I hurt you”, he said. “It will never happen again”, he promised then his covered her mouth with his. This time when he attempted to deepen the kiss, she was right there with him and they lost themselves in the feel of their mouths fusing together for the first time in perfect harmony.

 

Chapter 16 by kwajeraspen

 

Chapter 16

 

"So, what now?" Elise asked when their lips finally parted.

Lukas brushed a strand of her hair away from her brow. "I don't know about you, but I could sure use something to eat", he answered.

Elise frowned, remembering she'd opted to go ice skating instead of to the supermarket earlier. "I ah...sort of forgot to get groceries", she informed him.

He rose, taking her by the hands and bringing her to her feet with him. "Let's go grab a few".

Elise nodded. "We better make it quick; the snow is picking up", she said, gesturing toward the window.

They hurried into their coats then headed out. By the time they left the grocery store, the snowfall was a little more than ankle deep and the temperature outside had dropped considerably lower. They quickly loaded the groceries into Elise's rental and headed back to the warmth and comfort of the house.

After putting the groceries away, they flip a coin to see who would make lunch.... Elise lost. Lukas showed her some mercy and suggested they go light, with grilled cheese sandwiches and a tossed salad. Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, Elise quickly agreed. Lukas smiled and since she handled her lost like a good sport, he volunteered to make dinner. To Elise's delight, he promised to make his mother's rindsgulasch (beef stew), which Elise had enjoyed immensely and could not wait to taste again.

Lunch dishes washed, they took up residence on the sofa. Elise sat facing the large bay window; through it, she watched the snow fall at a steadily rapid pace. At the rate it came down, the possibility of being snowed in seemed likely.

She did not mind. She felt at peace with her present situation; here, alone with the man she loved.

She brought her knees up, so she could rest her chin on them. She glanced at him...well, more than glanced. Her eyes traced the angles and plains of his perfectly etched face. He was truly a handsome man; she always thought so. But, now, when she looked at him, now that he'd opened up to her, she saw so much more than his surface. And that, made him more than externally handsome...it made him breathtakingly beautiful, inside and out.

He's ruined me for all others...was her next thought. No one ever had her heart before him and no one else ever would. Inadvertently, she sighed.

"Something wrong?" Lukas asked.

"No", she said quietly. "Looks like we might get snowed in", she added, changing the subject.

"Really?". He turned towards the window when he faced her again, he bore a slight frown.

"Would that be so bad?" Elise asked, questioning the expression on his face.

"No, except your father is expecting us to be back at work on Monday morning".

"My father? You spoke to him?"

Lukas chuckled, "How else do you think I found out where you were?".

She hadn't given it much thought.

Her father gave up the goods on her location. How interesting. What, she wondered, did Lukas say to persuade him. "So you just strolled up to him, asked and he answered?"

"No, we argued".

Elise waited to see if he was kidding; he wasn't. "The two of you got into a fight?". She rose but Lukas snagged her by the wrist pulling back down onto the sofa.

"No", he repeated. "We argued; big difference".

"You told him about us". It was more of a statement than a question.

"I didn't have to. He knew Elise; he knew". He released her, using the same hand to run his fingers through his hair. "I thought he was going to fire me. Hell, I told him to. Next thing I knew he was telling me where you were".

Lukas left out a few details, she was sure of it. But, her father had always been an astute man. His putting two and two together regarding them did not come as that much of a surprise. What did surprise her in all of this was Lukas. Did he really feel so strongly about being with her he'd risked his career? If she hadn't already loved him madly, she would now. "Things could have gone awry", she informed him.

Lukas shrugged, "Possibly".

"You're stubborn", she told him.

"Yup", he replied unapologetically.

"I'm glad they didn't".

"So I am".

****

Elise opened her eyes to find herself lying alone on the sofa. She sat up quickly, having no memory of dosing off. She yawned, stretching her arms over her head, before rising to see where Lukas had gone off to.

She spotted him, from the window. The storm had ceased and he was hard at work, shoveling snow from the walk way. She watched him for a little while then slipped into her coat and boots.

Lukas busied himself with clearing a path from the house to the curb. While he worked, he thought about his conversation earlier with Mila, whom he'd called when Elise drifted off to sleep. Mila told him all about her day with her opa, which consisted of a breakfast cook off that morning and a trip to the movies that afternoon. After dinner, they were going to pop popcorn and watch DVDs. Lukas, knowing his father, made sure that list did not include any horror films.

She sounded happy; thoroughly entertained by her grandparents. He was glad. She told him that she missed him and couldn't wait for him to get home. That too, made him glad. Their bond was strong, the two of them; had been since the moment Hanna placed her in his arms and walked away.

His Mila; his perfect slice of heaven. He continued to be amazed at how something so beautiful came from such a disastrous decision. Yet, he couldn't imagine life without his little girl. Even if he were somehow granted the opportunity to turn back time and start again, he'd not make any choice that would take Mila out of the equation.

Just, he thought, as he would not go back and change anything that led him here to Elise.

He staked the shovel into a pile of snow. Taking a minute to look around him.

Funny. He'd no idea when he made the choice to move back to the States, his life would take such an interesting turn. Love was surely not on his agenda. Yet, he found it, wrapped into the most amazingly interesting package.

He smiled slightly but quickly frowned when a round white object, clearly a snowball, sailed past his head. He turned, just in time to get a face full of the next snowball Elise launched at him.

Elise burst into laughter then yelp when he took off like a rocket, running straight at her. She ran, dodging his first attempt to grab her. She launched the last two snowballs in her hands at him. He ducked the first and caught the second one, tossing it back at her. The snowball hit the back of her coat as she took off running.

She slid past the pile of snow he'd made as another snowball hit her leg. "Fight like a man", Lukas called out.

Elise stopped, placing both hands on her hips and huffed. "Do I look like a man?"

Lukas attention went straight to the way she stood, the curve of her hip sticking out.

Elise snickered, knowing he would look. When he raised his eyes again, he was too late to protect against being tricked. Elise's snowball landed, hit him square in the forehead.

She pumped her fist into the air, celebrating the success of her strategy. A second later she found herself being tackled into the pile of snow. They rolled with Lukas coming out on top. "That was a nice trick", he admitted.

"So you concede to defeat?" she asked.

Lukas grinned. "Never. You?".

"Never".

A smile spread slowly across her face. Lukas was immediately taken by the beauty of it. His heart swelled in his chest. Thoughts, feelings, needs, all surfaced at once, overwhelming his mind and body. Forgetting how cold his hands were, he placed one against her cheek; his grin faded. "Elise, I want...."

"Hey there!"

Lukas's head shot up at the sound of a woman voice shouting from the street. He studied the pretty chocolate skinned woman behind the wheel of a snow plow.

Elise twisted her head, so she could see. "Lonnie".

"I came by to dig you out". She allowed herself a long appreciative look at the attractive blonde haired man, whom Elise was currently pinned underneath. "But, it looks like you've got it covered". She patted the side of the plow. "I'm going to finish making my rounds. If you're up to it, swing by the pub tonight, the two of you".

They watched Lonnie drive away. Elise shivered. Lukas remembered they were still lying in the snow. He stood, helping her to her feet. "Let go inside and get warmed up".

He followed her inside and up the stairs. At the top, they parted, going in different directions. Elise paused at the doorway of her room. "Lukas". She waited for him to face her. "What were you going say, before Lonnie interrupted you?"

"It wasn't important", Lukas replied after a moment.

Elise wasn't sure she believed him but she let it go. If there was one thing she'd learned about Lukas in all this time, it was that he did not like to be pushed. "Okay".

"I'm gonna hit the shower then start dinner".

She nodded. "I'll see you downstairs in a bit", she said, easing inside the bedroom and shutting the door.

Lukas stood there for a while longer, staring at the door. He almost messed up. He promised her he'd give them to time they needed to do things right and he almost screwed up. He rubbed his hand over his face. If Lonnie hadn't come along, the words on the tip of his tongue surely would have spilled out.... a proposal of marriage.

Too much, too soon, he reminded himself. Yet, he could not help but wonder what her answer might have been.

****

"OMG!" Elise exclaimed, rubbing her full belly. "Your mother taught you well Mr. Weiss". His stew tasted exactly how she remembered his mother's.

"Growing up on a farm, everything thing is a shared responsibility, even cooking".

"You ever had to catch your own meal?", Elise asked out of curiosity.

"Caught, killed and cooked". "I won't go into any details", he added when Elise's eyes grew round like saucers.

"Sounds like an interesting life".

Lukas nodded, "Yes, definitely. And, hard at times. We've gone through plenty of tough seasons; made it through, together".

Elise could not relate. She never struggled financially. She certainly never had to catch and cook her own food. She ascertained, this was why they were so closely bonded, Lukas and his parents. To work so hard, side by side, every day to sustain their way of life took tremendous teamwork, support and love.

She, on the other hand, took her way of life for granted. Never once, thinking about how hard her own father worked to maintain their lifestyle, until she was forced into a position where she had no choice. She'd been selfish over the years; taken her place in the world for granted. In the not so distant past, she refused to be apologetic for her behavior.... she found, she was now. Being a self-center, self-involved person would not due.

Meeting Lukas, being challenged by him, made her see that she could not continue on her previous journey through life. She wanted to be a better person, for herself, for her family and for him. Lukas needed a woman who could stand by his side as his partner; have his back, like he had hers. He needed a woman to support him, to love him.... not just him, but his daughter as well.

Was she capable? She found herself asking. To give his daughter a mother's love; did she have it in her? What of kids of her own? Would she be a good mother to them? She wished she were confident enough to quickly say yes. But, she had to be honest with herself. She knew zero about being anyone's mother, so she worried about not being good at it, just as she worried whether she'd be a good wife.

She sighed. She was getting a bit ahead of herself, wasn't she? She and Lukas just decided to try their hand at making their relationship work. Why was she jumping from girlfriend, to wife, to mother so quickly? "Because, you want it", she answered inside her head. "With him, you want all of it".

"Earth to Elise".

Elise snapped out of it. "Sorry, what were you saying?"

"I asked if you wanted to meet your friend at the pub".

Elise thought it over. "Not unless you want to".

Lukas shook his head. "I'd like it if we'd spend our last night here alone. Well, my first, your last".

"I'd like that", Elise responded. "How about I help you with the dishes then we light a fire and you can tell me how you got that scar behind your ear".

"One of many", he informed her.

Immediately, her eyes went to the scar above his brow. The stitches were gone but the scar remained as a reminder of that night. The call she'd received about him being injured had scared her half to death. Lines of worry formed around her mouth.

"Come on". Lukas took her by the hand, drawing her attention away from his head. "I'll wash, you dry".

They fell into an easy routine of cleaning and drying the dishes. By the time they completed their task, her face was relaxed; the tension long gone. He took her hand again, leading her into the living room. While he busied himself with the fireplace, Elise laid out a blanket on the floor, so they could sit close enough to feel the warmth of the fire up close. To keep the atmosphere cozy, they left the lights off, so the fire light would fill the room.

Elise made herself comfortable "Indian" style on the blanket. Lukas stretched out, so he lay on one side of his body, his head close to her; his upper half propped up by his elbow. Lukas told her about his family's stallion, Thunder. Elise listened in awe. "At first", Lukas said at the end of his story, "I thought a busted lip was all I received until I felt a trickled of blood running down my neck. My dad and I figured I must've cut myself on the fencing with Thunder threw me over. Earned myself a trip to the hospital but it was worth it to see the pride on my dad's face, knowing I broke that devil of a horse".

"You were either very brave or plain crazy", Elise said.

"Which do you think?"

Elise studied him. "Very brave". "I'd bet you've never been afraid of anything", she added.

"You'd lose". "I've been afraid twice in my life that I can recall", he confessed. "The day I held Mila and realized I had no idea how to be a father. And...".

"And?"

"When I thought I'd lost you".

His words touched her in the deepest regions of her heart. "Who would have thought we'd be here like this, after how we...."

Lukas place his index finger against her lips, silencing her. He shook his head, "That's over, done with. We never have to revisit or speak of it again. Just tell me you love me and this is our beginning".

"Love you and this is our beginning", she said when he removed his finger.

Lukas cupped her face with his hand, leaning in. Their lips touched briefly then again, passionately. Elise's arms circled his neck, pulling him towards her as she slowly fell backwards onto the blanket; Lukas's body covered hers. When their lips parted for a second time, their eyes locked.

Beside them, the fire glowed; it played with the angles of his face and the blonde of his hair. The lights and shadows played with the Elise's skin and the green of her eyes. The picture each created, stirred the other. The air between them sizzled.

Both knew they were dangerously close to make love and both struggled to find the strength to walk away before it was too late.

"Say good night, Elise. Please", Lukas whispered.

Elise swallowed hard, trying to dislodge the lump which had formed in her throat. "Good night, Lukas", she said, her voice strained.

Lukas rolled off her onto his back. Elise quickly got to her feet and hurried up the stairs, putting some much needed distance between them. Once she was out of earshot, Lukas sat up, swearing rather richly. Thankfully, they were heading home tomorrow because he wasn't sure if he'd last another day in a setting like this with her. Between wanting to make love to her and dreams of marrying her, he really would be crazy.

 

Elise watched him from the top of the staircase. It meant the world to her that he stopped before they went any further. She found out yet another wonderful fact about her Lukas; he was a man of honor, a true gentleman. Just then, he let loose a stream of curses. She covered her mouth with her hand. Yeah, he was a gentleman.... with quite a potty mouth. She watched him for a little while longer then headed to her room.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 17 by kwajeraspen

Chapter 17

 

Elise opened her bedroom door to the smell of bacon and eggs filling her nostrils. Her stomach leaped to life, rumbling in response. She made her way downstairs, stopping short in the doorway of the kitchen. There Lukas was, preparing breakfast.  He moved about the kitchen as if he'd cooked there a million times, whistling while he worked.

Elise pushed away from the doorway, going over to the counter. "That's smells wonderful", she announced, snitching a piece of bacon and popping it into her mouth.

If he was startled by her appearance, he showed no sign of it. She reached for another piece of bacon and he swatted her hand without looking over. "If you keep taking from the plate, there'll be nothing left for me to serve you", he said. His plan had been to surprise her with breakfast in bed.

"A full service breakfast. Aw, how sweet", she said, rising on her toes and placing a kiss on his cheek.

"Have a seat", he told her, pointing to one of the chairs. When she walked away, he grinned. Plan A was a wash but he had no problem improvising.

Elise settled in the chair and waited. Lukas turned to her, carrying a plate of food in one hand.

"Breakfast is served milady" he said bowing.

Elise giggled, rising. "Thank you good sir", she said with a curtsy.

For the first time since she entered the kitchen, Lukas noticed what she was wearing. The black Baltimore Ravens jersey hung down just passed her thighs; the hem of a pair of white shorts peeked out from underneath. "You a fan?", he asked to distract himself from reacting to how incredibly sexy she looked.

"What?"

"A fan, of football", he clarified, gesturing toward the jersey.

Elise looked down at herself. "Oh, no. This....". She paused, biting the inside of her lip.

"Belonged to an Ex", he finished for her.

"Maybe I should go change". She hadn't slipped into the Jersey last night with any ill intent and honestly had focused more on the smell of breakfast this morning than her state of dress.

Lukas shook his head. He didn't want her to have to run back upstairs. They were both adults. He could handle it. "No, don't. It's okay". He set the plate down in front her.

She returned to her seat and waited for him to join her. "Are you sure?"

He reached across the table taking her hand. "I'm no more a priest than you are a nun. I have past relationships; you have past relationships. I can't hide mine and I don't expect you to hide yours". He kissed the back of her hand before releasing it. "Eat before your food gets cold".

Elise ate a fork full of her eggs. "Delicious", she informed him. "Thank you".

"You're welcome".

"I would've changed if you asked", she informed him.

"I know". And, he appreciated her consideration of his feelings.

 

They cleaned up the kitchen together, working side by side in silent communication. Each had the same thoughts in their head. In a few hours they would leave the vineyard to return back to "civilization" and the relationship they were beginning to build would come face to face with the other moving components of their lives: family, friends and work.

For Lukas, the most important factor was Mila and how she and Elise would navigate through developing a relationship of their own. It was, what he wanted, for the two of them to bond. He could not help but wonder if Elise fully understood what it would mean to be with him 100 percent; that percentage, a large part of it, was Mila.

He also wondered how Mila would receive Elise. After all, in her 8 years on this planet, he'd never once brought a woman home to her. After being so long without a mother figure in her life, there'd be a lot of adjustment and adaptation for her. Will she trust the relationship? That question brought about the one question which he had avoided Mila's entire life. When and how did he explain the truth about her biological mother?

 

Elise concerns were quite similar, in that they mainly focused on Mila. Though she and Mila hit it off at first meeting; she only knew her as a co-worker of her father's. Now, at next meeting, she'd learn differently. Mila's acceptance of Lukas's relationship with her mattered greatly to Lukas. Honestly, it mattered to her as well. Lukas and Mila were as close as she was with her own father. She knew firsthand how important and unshakable that connection was when it was strong.

She was determined to do her best to earn Mila's trust and eventually, she hoped, her love.

At least, it seemed, Lukas had the trust and respect of her father. Everett Roberts was kind and caring but he did not welcome everyone with open arms; one of the many traits, which made him an astute businessman and a treasured friend to those he'd give the label. That he actually told Lukas where she went spoke volume for the possibility of the two of them growing closer.

Her mother had yet to meet Lukas; however, Elise was well versed enough in her parents to know her father would not leave her mother out of his decision to support her relationship with Lukas. Knowing that she had her parents support meant the world her; although she was an adult and would not give Lukas up regardless.

Lukas passed Elise the last dish to dry. Once it was put away, she surveyed the kitchen, satisfied that they had returned it to its original state. "Nice job". She bumped Lukas with her hip. "We make good team".

He did not response. "Are you alright?" Elise asked.

He turned to her, the expression he bore quite serious. "Once we walk out that door, a lot is going to change. You're not just becoming a part of my life; you'll become a part of Mila's as well. Are you sure you're ready for that?"

"Are you?" Elise asked, searching his face for her answer.

Lukas took a deep breath. "From the moment I held her, I placed Mila underneath an umbrella of protection, vowing to guard her heart. I never imagined, ever removing it".

"I understand". She wanted him to trust her with Mila but, that would take time, especially given his history with Hanna. "Maybe you should wait to tell her about us; until you are sure".

Elise turned to walk away but he stopped her, taking her by the shoulders. "I don't want to wait. I am sure. I want her know how incredibly special you are and that I love you". He released her, running his hair through his hair. "But, I need to tell her about her mother, first. The truth is overdue".

Elise could not imagine how difficult a conversation it would be. She ached for the pain he and Mila were bound to feel and wished she were able to somehow ease it for the both of them. She wrapped her arms around his waist, hugging him. When his arms circled her, pulling her closer, she sighed.

They remained as they were, comforted in each other's arms, for a long while. Soon after, they left the vineyard to head back home.

****

Everett flipped through all the documentation Elise put together for the coming gala. He could not help but to be proud of how thoroughly she'd handled every aspect of the event from the planning to soliciting companies to participate and tracking the entire process. His daughter had matured from a spoiled rich kid into a beautiful and intelligent young woman, capable of achieving whatever she set her mind to. Though, she'd needed a good shove in the right direction he mused.

As hard as it had been for him to pull the rug out from underneath her, he did it...with a little shove of his own from Elizabeth. He couldn't deny the time had come. And, he could not say his relationship with Elise had not become better afterwards. They bond now included a level of respect that was missing previously. Elise came to understand and appreciate what it took for him to run the family business and the lifestyle she benefited from because of it. And he...well he came to understand and respect she was no longer the little girl, who regarded him as the only man she'd ever need in her life.

Everett closed the file, thinking of she and Lukas.

Lukas, without actually saying so out loud, confessed his love her. And, her actions told him the same. What other choice did he have other than to do what was right? He'd found his soulmate in Elizabeth; she was the piece of his life which made him whole. It would have been wrong to stand in the way of Elise finding out if Lukas was her Elizabeth. And, quite honestly, deep down he knew Lukas was a good man; an honorable one. If he were to choose a man for Elise, those are the traits that man would possess. Any fear he felt was of a father who loved his child fiercely and who never wanted to see them in pain.

He wondered what Elise's reaction was to Lukas showing up at the vineyard. He imagined if things had gone awry, he'd have heard from her.

He sighed. "Let it go", he said to himself. Whatever the outcome between Elise and Lukas, he'd know soon; both were scheduled to return to work promptly on Monday.

He rose, deciding he'd worked long enough on a Sunday. He'd been locked away in his study for most of the morning and if he didn't show his presence soon, Elizabeth would come down and drag him out of his study by the ear. A second later, he heard the soft knock on the study door.

"Everett Roberts, you bring yourself out of there this instant", he heard Elizabeth call out. He smiled, knowing the moment he opened the door, he'd be greeted by the stern look on her face. His smiled widened when she did not disappoint.

"Do you realize it's Sunday and you've been in here all morning?" she asked.

He nodded, "I do". He placed his arm around her shoulders, pulling her close and leading them away from the study. "Missing me?" he asked with a chuckle.

Elizabeth jabbed him lightly in the rib cage. "If I wanted to be alone, I would have remained single".

"Well I'm glad you didn't". He continued to smile.

Elizabeth fought hard to keep her lips from curving upwards. Everett's green eyes sparkled with humor and with open affection. She lost the battle, a smile blooming. "So am I".

****

The drive back to Baltimore was filled with idle chit-chat; neither of them revisiting Lukas pending talk with Mila. They discussed work and planned their first "official" date. Elise threw out a few hints here and there but ultimately left the finalization of the details to Lukas. He promised her a good time and she had no doubt he'd come through.

The drive was peaceful, with bits of fun and long stretches of quietness. In those moments, Elise gathered Lukas's thoughts were on his daughter. She'd have asked him to share his thoughts, if she did not feel he needed to process them on his own.

She was powerless to change whatever would transpire. Yet, it bothered her greatly that she was unable to do anything for either of them. What, she asked, did one do in a situation such as this? "Be there when and if he needs you" her inner voice said.

Absently, she reached over and placed her hand on his knee. When she felt his hand cover hers, she turned hers over so their palms touched. Neither said another word, not until Lukas pulled the truck to a stop outside her door.

"I'll talk to you soon", Lukas said, leaning over and kissing her lightly on the lips.

Elise nodded, grabbing her suitcase and exiting the truck. Lukas watched her go, waiting until she was safely inside before driving away.

No sooner than Lukas opened the front door to his home, his father attacked him with question after question. "Dad, give me a sec", he finally managed to get in. He stepped inside, tossing his bag down and sat on the sofa.

Baret sat down beside him. "I take it everything went well with Elise".

Lukas nodded, "Yes". He told him what transpired in the vineyard.

"I'm proud of you son", Baret informed him. "You fought for what you wanted instead of giving up. Your mother will be pleased; she's worried so much over your happiness".

"Where are mom and Mila?" Lukas asked.

Baret pointed, "Upstairs in her room, having a princess party".

"No tiaras and tea cups for you?"

Baret made a short noncommittal sound. "Apparently, I'm not invited".

Lukas chuckled soft. The laughter died quickly. He sat back on the sofa, rubbing his hands across his face.

"What is it son?" Baret asked, concerned.

"I have to tell Mila about Hanna dad".

Baret nodded, aware that at some point Lukas would find himself here. "Telling a child that they weren't wanted isn't something they should ever need to be told".

"I'm afraid she'll hate Hanna for leaving her. I don't want her to. I know first-hand how consuming hate can be. I hated Hanna, Riley and the whole damned family for so long. I hated myself too. It made me dysfunctional. I almost lost Elise because of it. I couldn't take it if Mila fell down that same rabbit hole".

He gave Lukas's shoulder a good squeeze. "She'll be devastated; angry. But, she will come around. Just continue to be the constant source of love and light in her life that you've always been and the pair of you will get through this together. And you know your mom and I will help anyway we can".

Lukas nodded. "Thanks dad".

Lukas made his way upstairs; the entire way, he felt tension in his face and neck. At the top of the steps, he saw Mila's bedroom door was ajar. He could hear his mother and Mila speaking in a fancy princess voices.

At the doorway, he hesitated, listening to them. Their banter was playful and innocent. He smiled; instantly the tension began to ease. He stepped inside. "Is there room for one more?", he asked, with a terrible princely voice.

"Daddy!" Mila exclaimed, jumping up and running into his arms.

Lukas scooped her up, giving her a big hug. "Hey you".

"Hey you", she repeated.

He set her down. "Now, about that tea", he said once again in character.

Mila giggled, "Daddy".

"Every tea party could use a handsome prince. Isn't that so princess Mila", Adeli said.

"Why yes", Mila said "Please join us", she added with a curtesy.

Lukas smiled, a truly genuine one this time. He lowered himself to the floor, joining them. There was nothing more he wanted right now than to share in a princess tea party with his daughter. Reality would show itself soon enough. But, for the time being, he wanted to talk in funny voices, sip fake tea and pretend, this was their life.

 

 

 

Chapter 18 by kwajeraspen

Chapter 18:

 

Monday....

Elise glanced at the clock for the first time since she arrived back at her office. The better part of the day had slipped by unnoticed. She'd been pushing paper non-stop from the minute she sat behind her desk; all energy focused on finalizing the details for the gala.

She had half expected her father to jump in while she was away and finish her work for her. However, when she returned she happily found he'd done nothing of the sort. Quite honestly, if he did, she'd have been disappointed.

She had no idea when she started working on the gala, she'd become so attached to it. This gala was her pride and joy, the symbol of her ascension into true adulthood. All matters pertaining to it meant a great deal to her. Having someone else take that away from her wasn't something that would have sat well with her. So, when she saw the time, felt the grumble of her stomach due to skipping lunch, she did not view them as negative outcomes.

She smiled a bit. In her lifetime up until now, she never worked hard for anything. All of her wants and needs were handed to her in a big box, wrapped with a shiny bow. All she had to do was pull the string and voila...instant gratification.

It was funny, the two most important things in her life right now, the ones that mattered most, didn't come pre-packaged. And, she cherished them above and the glitter and gold showered upon her previously.

This job. Yes, it was with her father's company and given to her by him but, he had not paved an easy road for her. He actually made her work for every success, held her accountable and from those actions she grew, matured. She learned and was still learning about the company her family built and now, the pride she felt in that achievement was genuine. From this, she also developed a great appreciation for her parents, whom she always loved but not necessarily appreciated to the fullest.

The other, was her relationship with Lukas. A nightmare of a beginning blossomed into something extraordinarily amazing. She never knew she could love someone so deeply, in such a short time; she never knew she wanted to.

In him, she discovered her capacity to open her heart to trusting when she wasn't completely in control. No man in her life ever challenged her to give up her vices; to take off the mask and let them see who she was underneath her veil of perfection. He knocked her off her high horse and she never felt happier to land flat on her ass.

Life with Lukas was an adventure she looked forward to. And yes, she included his daughter. She wanted to be a part of Mila's life. She wanted to bond with her. She wanted them to be a family, the three of them.

She felt the flutter of butterflies. She, Elise Roberts, wanted to be a wife and a mother.

Her smile faltered. Her thoughts turned to her last conversation with Lukas. When they parted on Sunday, he planned to have talk to Mila about her biological mother.

She wondered how the conversation went. That poor girl, having to learn that the woman who birth her did not care enough to stick around. And Lukas, having to deliver such a blow.

Her next thought was, maybe she should call him. Right after, she told herself to give him space. All of this just went down last night, he needed to be with Mila. In order to distract her from ignoring her own advice, she threw herself back into her work.

The next time she came up for air, it was to the low sound of the receptionist's voice over her intercom informing her that Oliver Martin was on the line. She answered the call. "Mr. Martin", she addressed both friendly and professional.

"And here I believed we'd moved past such formalities", Oliver replied, equally as friendly.

"You're right...Oliver".

His name rolled off her tongue smooth as silk. Oliver loosened his tie then he frowned at the action. The light, sultry allure of her voice made him almost forget she was of the blood of the enemy...almost. He must never forget, ever. Nor, must he forget that was she the one he wanted. She incited lust in him, he admitted. However, lust only burned the loins; true desire burned the soul. His was already scorched by the touch of another; nothing and no one else could soothe it.

"Oliver, are you still there?" Elise asked.

"Yes. My apologies". He replied. "Did you receive a package?" he asked.

"Package? No, I haven't received any packages today. Why?"

"I sent you something. I had hoped you'd received it before I called".

"Sorry, nothing". As soon as she said the words, the receptionist eased into her office and laid a FedEx envelop on her desk. "Hold on", she said, reading the front. "It just arrived".

"Open it", he ordered. He heard her sharp intake of breath. Though obvious, she reaction

Elise held up the check, reading it again to make sure her eyes weren't deceiving her. "Oliver...I don't know what to say. This donation is far grander than what I had imagined. I can't thank you enough for such generosity".

"If I can change the life of at least one under privileged youth than it is well worth every penny given". He honestly meant that. Coming from an under privileged background himself, he understood the struggle. So whilst all else about his presence in Baltimore bared falsehood, his donation was legitimate. He did not see it as helping the Roberts family, he saw it as helping despite them.... despite no one helping him.

"You are a wonderful man".

"You think so?" He asked.

"Yes, I do. And, you'll make some lucky woman, very happy if or when you decide to give up the single life", she added. Recalling how he'd mentioned his single status. Though she had not asked, she had not sensed that he told her because he was interested in her.

While he made no comment aloud, Oliver considered her statement. Over the years, he imagined himself married to the object of his affection. He'd envisioned their life together as husband and wife; her the mother of his child. They could rule the world, together. But first, she needed to understand one very simple, undeniable truth...she was meant to be with him, only him.

His fingers tighten on the steering wheel and he expertly maneuvered through the morning traffic of downtown Baltimore. "That's kind of you to say, Ms. Roberts", he said after a moment.

Elise chuckled, "Now whose being formal?"

Oliver smiled slightly. "Well, Elise, although I am enjoying our conversation, I must attend to some other business".

"Same here. Thank you again for the generous donation. I guess the next time we meet will be at the gala".

"I look forward to it".

****

Lukas spent the entire morning working side by side with his crew on the finishing touches for the completion of the Rosedale project. He works endlessly, stopping only when his body demanded he replenish the nutrients he'd exhausted.

While he sat in his trailer, sandwich in one hand and pencil in the other, he thought about picking up the phone to call Elise. But, he didn't.

Surely, she'd want to know how his talk with Mila had gone. And, he'd nothing to tell her because he wasn't able to go through with it.

They had laughed and played as a family for hours. After tea parties, princess balls and dinner, he'd tucked her into bed and read her a story; something she hadn't asked for nor had he done in quite a while. She did not complain or ask why. She just snuggled into the crook of his arm and listened as he read. When the book ended she'd smiled at him sweetly.

He took one long look into those eyes; ones that mirrored his own in coloring and shape. Innocence stared back at him through pools of aquamarine. He couldn't do it. He couldn't bring himself to say the words.

He feared he may never be able to.

He frowned at his sandwich, setting it down on the wrapper it was delivered in. The idea of eating it suddenly no longer appealed to him. He scooped up the remains and dumped them into the trash can beside his desk before pushing away from his desk and rising.

The solitude of his office had lost its appeal. Work, he determined, was what he needed. Laboring to the point of exhaustion would be therapeutic for his mind, body and quite likely, his soul. He nodded. Yeah, a hard day's work went a long way for a man like him; it had gotten him through many troubling times.

Securing his work belt to his waist, he left the trailer and headed back to site, devouring the short distance with his long stride. When next he returned to his trailer, the day was done and his mission to exhaust himself had been accomplished. He lumbered inside, sliding into his chair. He just needed to complete his log for the day then he could head home; a long, hot shower on the agenda.

His cellphone vibrated. He pulled it from his pocket. Before he looked at the screen, he knew it would be Elise's name and number he'd see; he was right. He hesitated, then slipped the phone back into his pocket, letting her call go to his voicemail.

 

Elise felt like a stalker, sitting outside of Lukas house at night. However, she was worried about him...about Mila as well. She'd called his cellphone twice tonight and he had not answered. Now, she was sitting outside his house and his truck was nowhere in sight.

The house lights were all out, appearing as if no one was home. Or, she told herself, they could be asleep. All except Lukas, she reminded herself.

Where was he? She wondered. Still at work, perhaps? Or off somewhere gathering his thoughts because his talk with Mila had not gone well?

Where was he? She asked herself again when another hour passed. She thought to call him again but stopped herself. The last thing he needed was her nagging.

She sighed. "Go home", she told herself. When he was ready to talk to her or see her, he would. She needed to stick to what she told herself earlier, give him time.

She whipped out her phone and pushed 3 on her speed dial. The phone rang twice before being answered. "Are you home?"

"Hello to you too. And yes, I am" Kori replied.

"Good, cause I'm coming over".

****

When Elise came knocking at Kori's door, she wasn't the least bit surprised to find Kori still fully dressed in a three-piece navy blue business suit. The only indication that she'd been home for more than a few minutes was the glass of wine sitting on the dining room table beside her open lap top.

Elise raised an eyebrow, "And here I thought I might be crashing a wild party".

"Ha, ha", Kori said.

Elise crossed her arms, "Seriously Kori. I know you like work but lately, you've been working way too hard even for your standard. What's up?"

"Nothing", Kori replied, mimicking Elise's stance. "You came here, so what's up with you?" She lowered herself on her sofa. "You hightail it out of town without a word. I had to find out from Devyn you went to the vineyard. Now you reappear, barge in on me and start in on my work ethic".

 "With all that went on with Lukas, I needed to get away".

"I know", Kori said sympathetically. Clearly, Elise still did not know she'd gone and given Lukas a piece of her mind. Or, that in the heat of the moment she told Lukas how Elise felt about him. "How are you holding up? You okay?"

"Yes and no". Elise sat down beside her. "Lukas showed up in the vineyard. Out of nowhere, I looked up and there he was, standing outside my door".

"Really?"

Elise nodded. "He opened up to me, told me about his past; about why he was so emotionally closed off. Then, he told me that he loves me".

"Oh Elise, that's wonderful. I'm so happy for you".  Kori frowned, "Wait. So why did you say yes and no?"

Elise told her Lukas's story, the whole story. Then, she told her how she was feeling.

Kori shook her head, "That poor little girl. I can image having to have a conversation like that with any child, let alone mine own".

"Neither can I", Elise said. "I just want to be there for both of them. But, how can I if he doesn't talk to me?"

"Give him some space Elise. When he is ready, he'll come to you, just like he did at the vineyard".

Elise smiled slightly, "You're good at this".

"At what?"

"Relationship stuff. You helped Devyn with Jason. You're helping me with Lukas. But, what about you, Kori?"

Kori shrugged off the question, "Me? I'm good".

"A computer and a glass of wine can't keep you warm at night. They can't hold you when you cry, share your laughter or hear your hopes and dreams".

Kori shook her head again, "I don't need any of those things, Elise. I work...it's what I do and who I am. I'm okay. Knowing that my two best friends are happy is enough for me".

"Kori...".

"I need to get back to working on this campaign. The deadline is almost here and I have a huge presentation in the morning".

Elise nodded, "Okay".

They rose at the same time and walked toward the door. Elise gave Kori and big hug. "I love you Kor",

"I love you too".

"We have to plan a night out, soon".

"We will. I know Devyn is itching to get out. She's getting closer to her due date and she's feeling a little on edge".

"Okay". Elise hugged her again. "Night, night".

Kori chuckled, "Night, night".

Kori stood at the door way and watched until Elise stepped into the elevator. She closed her door and stood there for a moment, looking around her condo. It was perfectly modern with all the bells and whistles she'd wanted, especially the quietness of living on the top floor. So, why, suddenly, did it feel like the loneliest place in the world.

She cleared her throat, rolling her shoulders. She was fine. She was fine, she repeated marching back to the table to dive into her work.

****

Elise pulled into the driveway of her home, which was located on the opposite side of the property. Her grandfather designed the guest house this way to give some semblance of private living. The front of the guest house, also face the opposite end of the property. From the rear, there was a path that led up to the main house and pool area.

Elise never gave much thought to location and set up until her parents gave the guest house to her on her twenty-first birthday. The first time she turned the key in the door, she felt a sense of freedom; it seemed silly at the time, to think of living just down the path from her parent as being free, yet, she did. Freedom to live and adult life with the convenience of still having the comforts of the home she was raised in.

Now, it all seemed childish, the lifestyle she led. None of it spoke of a woman who had the capability of managing her own life completely. It was time, past time, she stopped riding the fence of maturity and actually become a full fledge adult. Only then, would she be capable of being more...a wife to Lukas, a mother to Mila.

As soon as she entered, she kicked off her shoes and flopped down on her sofa; her mind still filled with worry. Kori advised her to give Lukas some space. How much space should she give? Would too little make her seem overbearing? Or, would too much seem like she did not care?

Whatever the answer, she was not going to figure it all out tonight she reasoned.

The best thing for her to do was sleep and see what tomorrow would bring.

****

Wednesday.....

 

Lukas sped across town to where Mila's school was located.  The call from the principal sent him racing from the job site. He swore, several times during the drive. Not again, he said to himself, slamming his fist against the dashboard. Not another fight. He did not need to hear what happened, he already knew his daughter. Mila was normally a sweet, quiet girl; however, she inherited his temperament. But, unlike he, who had many buttons that could be triggered, she had only one.

By the time he entered the school's office, he had himself under control. He scanned the office and his eyes landed on Mila, sitting by herself on of the two black plastic chairs outside a door labelled Principal's office.

He walked over and sat down beside her.

"Es tut mir Leid", she said softly.

"She's been doing that since she arrived", the secretary behind the desk informed him. "We haven't been able to get her to speak a lick of English".

"Mila, look at me", Lukas said softly. "Tell me what happened".

Mila burst into a stream of German, explaining everything to him. Lukas listened to the story he'd heard before; same story, same outcome.

He waited until he met with the principal and they were safely secured in his truck before he spoke again. "You cannot keep doing this", he said. "I don't want you fighting".

Mila began speaking in rapid German.

"No", Lukas said. "Enough of that too".

"I'm sorry", she said, this time in English, repeating what she'd said to him in the school office. "She called me an orphan", she added, folding her arms across her chest.

"That was no reason to punch her. Now, you're suspended from school for 3 days".

"Am I an orphan?"

Lukas sighed. "You know you're not".

She learned today that she wasn't the only kid in school with only one parent, yet, she was the one made fun of. "Why don't I have a mother?" she asked after a short bout of silence.

Oh God! The words screamed in his head. It seemed that fate had stepped in forcing him to face his fear of hurting her. "We'll talk about it when we get home".

 

 

This story archived at https://www.valentchamber.com/viewstory.php?sid=2844