Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Thanks ladies for the reviews! I will be getting to those.

So now everything is starting to hit the fan...

Excuse errors please.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

Kamir found his pulse speeding up and sweat threatening to leek out his pores. This was not normal, but then nothing connected to Sara was normal, and he had not even opened the door yet. He was standing outside her shop watching a few people pick over her examples and buyable goods in the showroom. The assistant moved about straightening things, wiping down surfaces and answering questions. If she saw him, she didn't let on and went to answer the phone. He took a deep breath and opened the door.

The assistant looked up then down again. He walked up to her desk and waited for her to attend to him. He turned his head to watch a gentleman and his wife flip through a book of testimonials and when he turned back, the assistant was watching him with a fascinated yet somber expression. He smiled and she returned it.

"Is Sara available?" He asked. He knew she was probably thinking that it had not mattered in the past, but she didn't show it.

"Excuse me a moment please."

He went back to watching the couple read the testimonials until she interrupted him.

"You may go back." She motioned respectfully with her hand toward the panel door and he excused himself.

He wondered how he would find her. He had waited a few days to let her calm down though he had not wanted to. Her behavior that day had scared him though. He wasn't sure what kind of person she was. She kept changing on him. Perhaps that was the wrong way to put it, she never seemed to faithfully match the idea he had of her. He turned the corner into her clinic and she stood waiting for him. Her hair was carefully tucked behind her ears and she stood in a soft yellow vintage dress. Wide straps held the  bodice to her frame and the skirt bloused out slightly. 

"Hello." She looked so delicate and feminine.

"Hello Kamir."

He found himself fidgeting. "You look beautiful."

"Thank you." She motioned toward him. "You look handsome as always."

There was a moment of silence.

"Er...about the other day. I'm sorry."

"Okay." She turned back to clinic table with that as if she were perfectly satisfied.

"Wait, aren't you going to fuss, ask me some questions, slap me across my face - something?"

"Why would I slap you? At the beginning we said we were adults and we didn't know what was going to happen. I'm sure you remember that conversation."

"Yes, but..."

"But?" She turned back to him expectantly.

"But, we were going some where...weren't we?" He was confused now.

She shrugged, "We tried, then you went into Kaoru's pants all by yourself, however, I am of the opinion that we were not going much of anywhere anyway."

"So you're not mad?"

"Kamir, you are a grown man. Who you choose to sleep with is your own business."

"It was only once." He stepped closer.

"Once is enough I think."

"Sara you are being ridiculously calm about this." He scratched his head.

"What do you want me to do? Haven't I made a big enough fool of myself where you are concerned? Perhaps you want me to lower myself even more." Her eyes shined up at him inquisitively.

"No. No, you didn't lower yourself at all."

"I'm glad you think so." She returned to her work.

"Sara, it wasn't your fault."

"Yuki says the same thing but I can't reconcile it. Yes," she turned to him, "I would like to understand at what point your affections switched from me to her. Or, maybe you didn't have any affection for me, you were just having fun. If that was the case then it is my fault because I thought I felt something somewhere."

"Sara, it was a mistake."

"I suppose men think that a lot as they skip from woman to woman like a round shiny rock skidding across the surface of a placid pond." She bounced her hand out in imitation.

"You're comparing me to Yukimoto." He squinted his eyes.

"I am not."

"You are. I am not Yuki Umezawa. I did not make you fall in love with me and then drop you when my mom told me to. I did not abandon you and your baby and marry another woman."

"No, you just slept with one while you were pretended to like another."

"She doesn't want him."

"Marriage is sacred Kamir. You don't go around getting involved with married women."

"You're involved with Yuki and he's married." For some reason he was starting to get more and more irritated as she spoke.

"We are not involved. He is the father of my son..."

"He's a wishy-washy pissant boring spineless man and that's why Kaoru slept with me!" He shoved his thumb back into his chest.

"He is not. He's good. He may not be a flashy charmer winding the world around his finger and he isn't perfect, true, but he's kind and he's humble and he's honest. He's thoughtful and he's considerate."

"I can't believe you are defending him."

"And I can't believe you left my arms and walked straight into her bed!" Kamir flenched. "You, you talk about Yuki like this game you've been playing corroborates the existence of your spine. Like kissing my lips and then doing God knows what to hers makes you look steadfast. Like blaming the whole thing on her while squeaking out," she held up her hand, "‘my bad' glorifies you as debonaire or something. Just who the hell do you think you are judging Yuki? Judging me?"

They stood facing each other over her clinic table. Sara's hands were splayed out over the surface holding her weight agains it. Her eyes were flashing, determined, unpretentious and stubborn. She was beautiful. The wind slowly left his body and he regretted his choice. He had been regretting it since it happened. He should have stayed with her that night. He wish he had. What was it about her? He had never met anyone like her.

"Look at me." He admitted calmly, "You have me so mixed up, I've totally messed up what I came here to do. I want to apologize. It was stupid and presumptuous and wrong." He watched her face soften and he attempted a weak smile. She looked away from him.

"Do you even like her?" She turned to him again.

He shrugged, "She's definitely engaging. I like you."

"Stop flirting with me." There was a stern sound in her voice which contradicted the pout on her face. He put his hands up in surrender. She sighed and he could hear the bell toll before she uttered a word. "I think we should end it like this before things get out of control. I accept your apology. I even thank you for it. I don't hate you or anything, however, as the Japanese say, I think you're a hundred years too late to take me on." She smiled.

"I beg your pardon?"

"We are at different places in our lives Kamir. Right now, at this time, in this place we just met while moving in different directions." He watched her walk towards him and stop in front of him. "You were good to me at a time when I needed it though and I will always be grateful for that." She smiled and wrapped her arms around him much like she had at the restaurant the day she butted heads with Mrs. Umezawa. 

He knew he could try to convince her, be persistent like he had before. God knows he wanted to, but somewhere deep inside he knew she was right, he was what he was and what he was, she wasn't in love with. He hugged her tight and released her when she stepped back.

"We can still have lunch some times?"

"Call Kaoru." Her face dropped and she walked away.

"Man."

 

***

 

Sara hurried through the promenade and emerged searching for his car. She need not have worried, it was right at the curb, he leaning in repose against it observing two Goth clad youths with unmasked morbid fascination. His brow lowered as if contemplating some philosophical complexity. She was almost upon him when he noticed her. He jolted up and the frown disappeared into an appreciative smile.

"Yuki, you did not wait long?"

"No, not at all."

"Why did you not park?" She frowned at him as she lowered herself into his car.

"Parking is for people who have no where to be." He closed the door and she watched him stride arrogantly around his car and rolled her eyes. They were going to buy Shouda's birthday presents. Yuki was unsure as to what to purchase and wanted her assistance. 

Sara thought about her conversation with Kamir and chewed her bottom lip. He was always so easy, nothing seemed to bother him much. Though he did raise his voice twice in her presence, both times it was in response to something to do with Yuki. She stopped chewing and turned to look at him.

"Yes, Sarua?"

Her eyebrows raised at his anticipation. She smiled slightly.

"Kamir came to my clinic today." She watched for a response, but none came. His eyes were intently scrutinizing the road, other car movements and the traffic lights. "He apologized for the other day."

"You are happy with this?"

She stuck her bottom lip out for a moment then, "Yes, I am."

He finally glanced her and smiled with a nod. That seemed to be the end of it.

 

That could not be how it ended. Yuki glared at the car in front of him. They made up? He broke her confidence and they made up? He shifted in his seat. Perhaps he had done a greater injustice to Sara than he thought. It seemed that now she would forgive any man anything. Forget the fact that he slept with a married woman, even though Yuki knew the real situation between he and Kaoru, Sara did not...yet. Not only did she look this over but she decided to continue seeing him.

Maybe she liked him more than Yuki thought she did. He knew she was enchanted by him, enjoyed his company and kissed him...repeatedly...regularly. Stop. Was it possible that she had fallen in love with him? In love like they had been? The thought caused him more pain than he could put into words. He had hoped that after Kaoru was ready to make public the divorce, he could try to mend things with Sara. Get her back. Beg on his hands and knees.

He resented Kamir and his open easy ways and charm. If he tried to do that, he would look like a fool. He couldn't compete with him. Something heavy settled in his heart and he continued to drive in silence.

 

***

 

"I thought you would not come." Kaoru smiled as Kamir sat down at her table.

"Why would I not come?" He sighed and took off his suit coat before laying it over the back of the adjacent chair.

"I think because you are afraid that somehow our meeting would get back to Sarua." He looked up sharply and she smiled indulgently at her jab.

"It does not matter if it does." He said evenly, "She knows about our encounter as does your husband."

She was a bit startled for a second. It passed. Yuki had not said anything and she had not been to check Sara's books. 

"You told Sarua?"

"No, Yukimo-to did. I confirmed it."

"Yuki did?"

She watched him gather his strength and a breath with some irritation and she smiled.

"I went to see Sara. I got in an argument with Yukimo-to," she noticed he kept saying Yuki's name with disdain, "and he guessed out loud."

"You were fighting over Sarua?"

"I was...trying to take Yuki down five or six notches." He rubbed both hands over his face. "And why should I have to compete with him?" He leaned back and rested one hand on the table. "I mean, what does she see in him? I am funner than him, livelier, damn sexier, handsomer. I'm a live man instead of a walking corps."

"Are you throwing a tantrum?" She laughed and he started to laugh with her.

"Yes, I am, damnit."

Karou looked at her hands, "Would you like to go somewhere private to continue to release this pint up aggression?" She looked up, his face a mix of emotions.

"Kaoru, who are you?" He finally said.

"I am me. I am what I have always wanted to be and I am what you need." She blinked her eyes waited.

"You are married. I'm not going to be the other man."

She leaned forward.

"I am free. Yuki and I are divorcing. The papers have been drawn up, filled out, signed and submitted." She watched understanding dawn on his face. Yuki would be free, he would go after Sara and his son.

"He divorced you because of that night?"

"It was mutual. We understand each other. I suggested it though and it was not necessarily because of you."

"I am the rebound guy."

She shrugged, "You need someone to help you regain your footing. You tried to start something contrary to your nature. You were thrown. I will help you back up." She sat her elbow on the table and rested her chin in the palm of her hand. She liked this wholly inappropriate man. He was the stuff dreams were made of, dreams she never though would come true until Sara came along. 

Perhaps she should feel ashamed of herself for propositioning him, feeding into his vices, shutting down any hopes he may have of Sara. Maybe she should, but he did not belong with Sara. Sara was stable and grounded. He was a good time boy, and right now, that was what she, Kaoru wanted, so it worked out. She watched and waited for him to make up his mind.

"As it happens," he reached for is jacket, "I would like to get a few things off my chest."

Kaoru calmly gathered her things as if they were not headed to his hotel room to act like anything but the mature professionals they appeared to be.

 

***

 

Things were interesting, so very, very interesting. Umezawa Kenji padded silently in his slippers to the dinning room where he knew his wife and the Richards to be waiting for lunch. He was especially interested in seeing what would happen at this lunch. Without shame he would announce his interesting news to the table...by mistake.  The relationship they all possessed was due to the fact that the situation was as it is. If the situation were to change, how would their relationship change? What would the reactions be? He missed this feeling of anticipation. Business had since ceased to affect him this way. He paused a moment. As grateful as he was to the success of the Umezawa Group, as much as he enjoyed the fame and power it endowed him, he had to admit that its acquisition caused him to overlook some very important things.

How grateful he was to his wife and son for seeing to it that he did not miss out on all the complexity and frivolity of the human side of life. He should feel heartily ashamed for taking this view. He quickly reflected on his wickedness and then sped up, the sooner he got himself situated, the sooner he could release his news and enjoy the results.

"Hello everyone." He bowed slightly as he entered the room to his wife and guests.

"Kenji, glad to have you come to lunch." Darren nodded his head as Kenji sat down.

"Hello." Percy arranged her napkin in her lap.

"I am happy you decide to eat here, but you must come here at right time." His wife never missed the opportunity to fuss. She tried harder to speak English these days. It was her own fault she did not speak it better, feeling it too superfluous to keep up with.

"Yes, you are right. Isn't it nice that we can eat together?" He was satisfied with the affirmative comments that followed though he couldn't repeat any of them if asked. He was too busy calculating his plan of attack.

The food was served and Darren broached conversation.

"How was business today Kenji?"

"Boring, I am totally and completely bored with it. I wish to retire as soon as possible."

"Nothing like retirement. I have thoroughly enjoyed mine up until now."

"Our interests in the company are doing very well. We left things in the hands of an excellent group of people." Percy smiled brightly.

"You will choose soon too, no?" Izumi turned to Percy. "He is very careful. Many men want job he have."

"Yes, I will have to be careful, and I hope to make the best choice. So much so that I called our lawyer so that he could make some inquiries for me."

"What kind of inquiries?" Percy asked.

"Just into the way they handle accounts and how some of their decisions regarding the company have turned out. It is not easy to do especially since he is now busy trying to clear up Yuki and Kaoru's divorce. He says as soon as that is done he will have more time. Lawyers and very busy people in general I think. I never wanted to be a lawyer myself. Not that my position has been an easy one. Tough decisions have to be made everyday. Isn't that right Darren?" All this he delivered in one easy breath. He noticed the silence after announcing the divorce but ignored it and continued as if he had not said anything to rock the room.

When he finally looked up Izumi looked much like she had just bitten into a lemon, Percy was looking at Darren with mouth agape and Darren looking back at him as if he were a sly little dog. He only returned an innocent expression.

"I'd have to say that's true." Darren said slowly.

"Wait a minute..." Percy began.

"You just say Yukimoto and Kaoru have divorce?" Izumi finished for her.

Kenji stopped and blinked, then looked very grave before feigning innocence again.

"Did I say that?"

"You did, you say Yukimoto and Kaoru divorce."

"When did you find out?" Percy asked after shooting an irritated look at Izumi.

"You see," he began, "you must not say anything, we are not meant to know."

"Oh Lord." Percy closed her eyes.

"Don't jump to any conclusions Percy." Darren warned.

"I'm not jumping to conclusions Darren. Don't you worry about how this will affect Sara?"

"Percy."

"How Yuki not tell us? Now all woman run after him, try to get dirty hands on money." There was an electrifying silence and she and Percy turned to look at each other at the same time.

"What do you mean?" Percy narrowed her eyes at Izumi.

"I mean worthless woman who no good." They both stood up eyes locked.

"Wait now Percy."

"Izumi"

"Worthless you say?" Percy slammed her hands on her generous hips.

"Worse than worthless." Izumi glared.

"Hey now, my daughter is more than worthy of your son." Darren warned. Both women spun around on him.

"Who said Sara was worthless?" Percy demanded.

"Sara not worthless. I dare them say she is. Come, we must talk." With that Izumi marched out of the dinning room with Percy on her heels.

Kenji watched them go with a look of satisfaction on his face. Human interaction was much more interesting than corporate takeovers, financial coups and breakthrough product developments.

"I suppose this went on about like you planned." He turned to Darren who brought his drink to his lips while peering knowingly at Kenji.

"Not at all. I had worked out three scenarios in my mind. How was I to know which one would be the correct one?"

"Well, I'll tell you one thing. If it is your desire to have my daughter end up with your son, you better go and reign them two woman in. Otherwise, you will have a worthless woman hanging on the arm of your son." Darren raised his eyebrows at him and he thought for a moment. 

One could never be sure. 

Maybe it was best to survey the situation.

 






Chapter End Notes:

Do you feel Sara was too easy on him?

Do you think Kamir is a dog?

What is Yuki thinking?

What will the mothers do?







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.