Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Thank you to the people who reviewed :) Here is Chapter 3. Please forgive any mistakes. And off we go....  




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

Chapter 3

 

-DM-

            He didn’t know what was wrong with him. It was like his thoughts didn't belong to him anymore. Ever since his birthday... It was like they were being controlled by some veela, a curly-haired pigtailed veela. Why couldn’t he get her out of his head? It was just a stupid girl for Merlin’s sake.  He hadn’t even talked her or come into any physical contact. She was probably daft, just like all the other girls their age. So then why then could he not stop thinking about her?  She looked at him…or at least he thought that she looked at him.  But what did that matter? His father wouldn’t have approved of him daydreaming, especially about some girl.

 

            “M-master Draco…Dobby is h-here to tell Master Draco that dinner is f-finished b-b-being prepared and M-mistress requests your p-p-presence.” The big-eyed, stuttering house-elf waited until he got dismissed when he got no response he tried again, “ M-master Draco…?”

 

             “I heard you insufferable lout, get out of here!” Draco threw the closest thing, which today seemed to be a silver goblet, at Dobby who was unfortunately in the precise spot to be hit square in between the eyes. Dobby let out of squeal of pain and disapparated from the room.

 

            If you were to ask Draco Malfoy did he feel bad about treating his servants the way that he did he would have simply responded with, “ How else am I suppose to treat them? They’re just house-elves.”

 

            Ever since he came out of his mother’s womb, he was taught the importance of the magical hierarchy. Wizards were at the top of the hierarchy, well pureblooded ones anyway. Everything else was there for lesser; meaning that he didn’t have to care. His time was better spent on other things. More pleasant things. Like, his preparation for his eventual take over as the head of the family. Being the only son Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy had its perks as well as its drawbacks. He got everything thing that he desired without struggle but he also had the burden of carrying on the family legacy, living up to the family expectations. And there was always thinking about going off to school (not the school part so much but being away from home). His father was thinking about sending him off to the Durmstrang Institute in Bulgaria, but his mother wasn’t too keen on the idea to say the least. Didn’t want her only son to be so far away from home. God it was so embarrassing some times.

 

            Draco sighed to himself, he continued to look out of his lifeless window for a few more moments and then began to walk himself to the dinning room for dinner. He wondered the little girl in the white sundress was doing right at that particular moment. GAH NOT AGAIN!

 

-DM-

 

             So in light of recent events Samson thought that it would be best to take the rest of the day off (after he made Mrs. Hopkins promise not to breathe a word to anyone about what really happened of course.). Zora hadn’t said a word since they had gotten back to the house. Probably still under a bit of shock, he supposed. Finding out that you could transfigure yourself into almost anyone and partially any animal was something that you don’t just instantly get over. A metamorphmagus, his little girl was a metamorphmagus…Samson couldn’t believe it. He had only heard of a few cases but to have one for a daughter was mind boggling to say the least. And worrisome. From the cases that he did read people who were metamorphmagus sometimes suffered from identity crisis (considering that they could change their race, gender, age and etc it was a valid concern). Samson honestly had no clue what to do next. The only thing he could do for now was make sure that Zora was all right, after that they would take it one step at a time.

 

                        “Zora…darling…”

 

                        “ I’m a freak aren’t I? Merlin even in the wizarding world I won’t be able to fit in…”

 

                        “ Zora Noel McQueen I will not have you talk about yourself like that. You are not and never will be a freak.” Samson said sternly. He saw the insecurity raise up and he was determined to squash here and now.

 

                        “How did this happen? Why did this happen? Why me?” her bottom lip began to tremble. She quietly sniffled as she tried not to cry. “ All I wanted was to be a normal witch and go Hogwarts that’s it.”

 

                        “But now you are something more than just a regular witch. Zora being a metamorphmagus is not bad thing. It is very rare that person has the ability to do the things that you have the potential to do. Sweetheart, you should think of it as a blessing, not a curse.”

 

                        “I’m frightened dad, what if I can’t control this ability? What if I change into something and not know how to change back? I don’t want to be a metamorphmagus!” the dam broke with that last sentence. She began to sob and all her father could do at the moment was hold her tightly and tell her that everything will be okay.

 

            “Shhh darling, shhhh I promise you that we will get through this. Together. I will find a way to help you control you new abilities. Some how…” His mind began to race; the only person that he could call upon was the same person that he had spurned two years ago. He had no other choice, he would write to Dumbledore in the morning and hopefully he would respond back.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

Zora, thankfully, was finally asleep. They had dinner after she finished crying and he carried her off to bed. The days’ events had finally caught up to her physically and she drifted straight off to sleep as soon as her head hit the pillow. Samson rubbed the back of his neck, when he sat down in the living room. He sat in his favorite chair and turned on the side table lamp. He decided that situation was too important so he had written to Dumbledore the moment Zora had fallen asleep. There was a gentle rapping at the window across the room, he slowly got up and went to where the sound came from. He pulled the blinds back, and stood back surprised.

 

 It was Fawkes, the phoenix companion to no one other than Albus Dumbledore. It took him a moment to get gain his thought process back (that and Fawkes pecking at his window). Samson opened the window, but Fawkes didn’t come in. he just looked at the letter that was in Samson’s hand. Samson finally caught on and handed the letter over to Fawkes. Fawkes left right after that, leaving a very confused Samson alone in his living room. Samson just sat back down his chair and thought. How had Fawkes known that he needed to talk to Dumbledore? He would admit it. Fawkes was a bloody intelligent creature but still…did he somehow sense him? Samson did what any other rational person did when trying to figure out something that dealt with Albus Dumbledore, he just chocked it up to being Dumbledore. That and made himself a pot of Sleepy Time tea. He didn’t make tea often, but when he did he used the enchanted teakettle set he and Cecile had gotten on their wedding day.

 

 It wasn’t until midnight that he heard a knock at the door the front door. He knew immediately who it was and quickly opened the door.

 

“Hello Albus.”

 

“ Hello Samson.” The two men walked silently towards the living room. Samson sat in his favorite chair and Dumbledore sat himself in the sit closest to Samson on the couch. No one had spoken until Dumbledore finally took the initiative.

 

“I must to admit Samson I thought you would be the last person to contact me, I had hoped of course but…” Dumbledore trailed off. He wasn’t completely surprised that Samson contacted him, but still he very pleased. He had wondered why Fawkes had left his perch in such an abrupt manner. He was always full of surprises, even now when they had known each other for so long. When he had returned, he came with a letter in his beak. Dumbledore read the address and smiled. Fawkes only helped those who were loyal to him, who honestly believed in him. Samson finally made his way back. By contacting him it meant that Samson hadn’t completely turned his back on thing that he claimed to have hated. Samson finally allowed magic back into his life.

 

He remembered the night that they had the argument. Ironically it was about the same thing that was troubling Samson now. Zora was always an interesting child. He saw her exhibit the faint traits of a metamorphmagus while checking up on the McQueen family when she was two. The breaking point (for Samson at least) was when, at the age of six, she pretended to be cat and thus produced cat ears and eyes. Not knowing much about how metamorphmagi train their powers, Dumbledore offered the one thing he could definitely deliver, a place at Hogwarts.

 

            “Yes and I am sorry about that Albus…for speaking to you the way that I did that night…I was…I still am frightened for Zora…She is a very trusting child with a big heart…I just don’t want people finding out about her …unique abilities… and taking advantage of her.” It was a constant fear that he had. The more that Zora grew up, the more of Cecile he saw in her. Cecile would walk on broken glass for the people she cared about, no matter what would happen to her in return. She was a tad naïve in certain situations, especially with people. She lived a pretty sheltered life especially since her brother Kingsley was her ever-constant watchdog…

 

            “ Tea?”

 

“ Yes thank you, water under the bridge my boy, now you asked me for special permission. To allow Zora to have a different animal when coming to Hogwarts.”

 

            “Yes, I know that it is a little unorthodox and I wouldn’t ask if the situation were different. However, I would feel much better if Zora a little more protection.”

 

            “ Samson you do realize that Hogwarts is one of the most protected institutions in the world, it is a veritable fortress on the at the best of times.”

 

             “Yes, but I am not as worried about something coming as much the people already inside.” It was the Auror in him talking. To be an effective Auror you had think like a dark wizard. There was a rumor of an Auror having to be little touched in the head wasn’t… completely…not untrue. That, in combination with him already being an over-protective was a tad bit dangerous and at the same time slightly hilarious.    

 

            “Alright Samson, suppose I allow this. What type of creature do suggest?” Oh, he was probably going to enjoy this answer.

 

            “ I was thinking of contacting a friend I have at the Auror department in Japan. They have these wolf-like hybrids that they use for undercover operations. They call them Ryoken no Jigoku or Hounds of Hell for short. They are very obedient and loyal to the one that they perceive to be their partner…or in this case they’re owner. They are extremely protective.”

 

            “I see…However Samson how do you know that it won’t attack a random person if they feel their charge is in danger? I can’t have other students attacked, the parents entrust the school to keep them safe.”

 

            “Albus I thought that you of all people would give me a bit more credit than that. I have done my research; those dogs (for lack of a better term) are very effective. According to Auror reports from Japan, their crime-rate is significantly lower there than it is here in the United Kingdom.” 

 

            “Oh I have no doubt that you have done your research on the matter Samson but I still have to look out for the safety of the other students…” Dumbledore pondered the situation laid before him. He supposed it would be all right…

 

“Alright Samson, she can have one but I must warn you. If I feel that the other students are in danger then I will have to ask you to come and bring it back here is that understood?”

 

            “Yes, completely. Thank you Albus.”

 

            “Mhmmm…” Dumbledore sipped his simmering tea.

 

            “Now all that is left is how to help Zora with unique abilities.”

 

            Both men were unsure on how to precede; Since metamorphmagi were such a small part of the population, not much was known about train the young witches and wizards. And then a thought sprung to his mind, he didn’t know what he didn’t think of it before. There was a girl, a seventh year. Her name….what was her name?  Ah yes, Nymphadora Tonks. She liked to use her metamorphmagus abilities to pull practical jokes on people. He had been getting complaints from the teachers that she was always disrupting her classes however since she was getting such good grades they wasn’t much he could do because detentions were mostly ineffective.

 

            “ Samson I have a suggestion, there is seventh year who is a Metamorphmagus. She seems to have a good grasp of her abilities. Maybe if I contacted her she would be willing to tutor and mentor Zora.”

 

            “Hm, since there is probably no better option…I think that it will be the best. It would help Zora control her abilities and at the same show her that she is not “cursed” as she thinks.” Samson could not bear to see the scared look on his daughter’s eyes. He would not allow the seed of insecurity to grow.

 

            “ Cursed, Samson?”

 

            Samson told Dumbledore what happened at the Ministry and about the crying.

 

            “ I see…oh the trials of growing up. I will send a letter to Nymphadora tomorrow and ask if she were willing to tutor Zora.” Dumbledore finished off the last bit of his tea and stood up.

 

             “ Thank you again Albus, you don’t know much this means to me and to Zora.” Samson stood up as well and shook his hand. Both men walked towards the door. Samson opened and they said goodnight.

 

~ HP ~

            The month of June had passed and they were well into July. Things hadn’t changed much for Zora personally. Her emotions were all over the place. Before, her metamorphmagus powers did not make any sort of appearance. Now it seemed that every emotion was on display, luckily it only appeared in her eyes, for the moment. Her father tried to joke with her, “ Well you know darling, the eyes are the windows to your soul.” Zora was not amused.

 

            Dumbledore fulfilled his promise of contacting Nymphadora; he said that she would come in the next week. Which left just enough time to let time for Samson’s friend in Japan to come. Samson hoped that this would lift Zora’s spirits. Zora liked animals and liked taking care of them. Ando Takarai was coming the next day with his nephew Hyde (Hee-day) Kurosaki with the pups so the bonding process would happen.

 

In Japan, the way that a hound was picked for each Auror was by having a large litter of pups gathered together in front of the Auror. The Auror would call out the name they had chosen for their future partner only once. The pup that reacts to the voice without hesitation will instantly walked toward their charge, sit before them and bow their head. The creature will listen to no other. By then the bonding process will be finished. The bond itself cannot be broken unless one of them is dead. The Hounds were great tools as well as companions in the Auror department. They have the ability to shift to different sizes (small pup, normal size, and riding size.) to fit the situation. Each transformation is like the burning day of a phoenix (without the ashes). They engulf themselves in blue flames and then transform into whatever size is needed. The best is that they have the ability to fly, this is helpful when an Auror doesn’t have a broom to go after a dark wizard who has taken flight or when the situation becomes to risky to for aurors to shoot them down. When in-flight their backs of their heels emit the same blue flame that occurs during their transformation. The flames themselves are not dangerous to the hound’s charge or those who they deem safe. Samson has petition for the United Kingdom Ministry for something akin to the hounds but to no avail.

 

If this didn’t cheer up Zora nothing would. Samson sighed as he rubbed his head. It was a good thing he took a few days off dealing with Ministry, from what he heard Fudge was going on another one of his war paths, he really didn’t want to know the details because whenever he thought of Cornelius Fudge he got a tension headache. Zora was still in her bedroom asleep, so Samson decided to start on breakfast.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

While Samson was correct that Zora was still in her bedroom, he was way off when he thought she was sleeping. She was laying on her bed with a mirror in her hands. Her eyes were changing colors like a kaleidoscope. She could only guess that her body was reacting to her own confusion. Since finding out that she would be having tutoring lessons by another metamorphmagus she felt slightly less alone. Did she still feel abnormal? Yes. Did she still feel like her life was over? Not so much anymore. The more she thought about it the more of the idea of her lazing about in a depression seemed pathetic. Better to suck it up and actually be active than a Debby-downer. Also, she knew that her dad was worried about her and she hated it when her dad worried. While she wasn’t fully at 100% percent she was definitely better than she was before. Her eyes finally went back to their original color. She smelled her dads’ homemade buttermilk pancakes and smiled. She knew that her dad knew that he only cooked his special pancakes when she was bummed. She was tad bit hungry, so she put down her mirror and went down stairs.

 

The kitchen smelled delicious and her father was cooking up storm. Literally, there was a storm of breakfast type ingredients floating all over the kitchen. Plates of pancakes, sausage, bacon, eggs, oatmeal, and cups of orange juice made their way to the kitchen table. Zora giggled which caused Samson to turn around and smile.

 

“ Well good morning princess how did you sleep last night?” Zora was dressed her favorite yellow pajamas and her hair was an absolute mess of curls. But the thing he took notice of the most was the small smile that was finally coming out again.

 

“Alright, dad why did you make so much food it’s like your trying to feed an army.”  Zora giggled again. He was up to something, he had a look in his eye that told her so. He motioned her for a hug and then nudged her to the closest seat.

 

“ Young lady, have I not taught you anything? We cannot have guests over and not feed them.” Samson said playfully.

 

            “ Guests? What guests?” Zora said confused, dad didn’t tell her that they were having guest over.

 

            “The guests that should be arriving in….3…2…1.” DING-DONG.

 

            “ Oh whoever could that be? Why don’t I open the door and see who it is.”

 

            Samson walked to the front door and opened it, “ Xenophillius, Solidad, and Luna how wonderful to see you.”

 

            “Luna?” Zoras’ ears caught that as she leapt out of her seat and went towards the door. 

 

            “Luna!” Zora cried happily as she hugged her friend dearly. “ Uncle and Auntie Solidad, what are you guys doing here?”

 

            “ Well your father told us that you weren’t feeling right as rain so we decided that pop in for a surprise breakfast.” Solidad said warmly.

 

            “ Oh, its nothing really. By i am feeling much better now that you all are here.”

 

            “Okay you all enough chit-chat, I did not spend an hour over a hot stove just for the food would get cold.’ Samson ushered everyone into the kitchen to eat.

 

            “ Is there going to be pudding Uncle Samson?”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

Samson had the whole thing planned out. They would spend some time in London, taking in the sites and then make their way to Primrose Hill for the fair. Since he had taken care of breakfast Solidad prepared a picnic basket for lunch. Samson wore his sky blue button down with a pair of dark blue denim jeans. While the adults cleaned up the kitchen Zora and Luna went up to her room to pick out an outfit for Zora. They decide on her denim jumper shorts and a white t-shirt and sneakers. The Lovegood family rarely partook in muggle activities so they weren’t completely aware of the social graces that were associated with dealing with muggle society. The clothes that they wore were thankfully reminiscent of hippie culture so the only stares they got were because of that. Samson made them promise to keep a low profile. The magic talk had to keep to a minimum and only when they were out of earshot of muggles. Solidad obviously had her objections (We are not children Samson) but she followed his lead, reluctantly.

 

When they had gotten to London, Samson showed them some of the big named attractions, stopped at the National Gallery, and took pictures of the girls trying to make the Queen’s guards laugh. The weather was perfect, the sun was shinning and there was just enough breeze to keep everyone from getting too hot. By the time that they had made it to Primrose Hill, the fair was in full swing. Little children were running all over the place, families were picking spots for their lunches. There were people on stilts and cotton candy and other various treats items were served. Music was playing and people were dancing nonsensically.

 

The group settled on a spot under a tree, they had a perfect view of the village at the bottom. Samson explained that there were famous muggles that lived in the Primrose village. No one had a clue of who was talking about so he let the subject die. The girls wanted to explore the fair. Xenophillius volunteered to take them, Samson gave Zora some money incase she wanted something and they were off. There were clothing booths and candy stands. Zora wanted to go the jewelry stand that they had passed when they first got there. Since it was directly across from the funnel cake Xenophillius allowed her go on her own. Zora took the money that her dad gave her and walked over to the jewelry stand. However the trip did not go over so smoothly…on account of her being crashed into by a specky Caucasian boy with messy black hair and oversized clothing.

 

“Ow…”

 

“ I-I’m sorry, so sorry I didn’t mean to crash into you I'm just trying to get away from my cousin and his friends…”

 

“What?” she didn’t catch anything he just said. Her head was still spinning from hitting the, thankfully, not too hard ground. The boy quickly helped her up off of the ground. He looked a little bit frantic; whoever his cousin was did not seem like someone to be messed with. Far off down the lane four obscenely large boys came barreling down the way.

 

“He’s over there! Come on let’s go!” the middle one yelled.

 

“Oh my…” In a spurt of quite possible insanity, Zora grabbed the boys’ hand and started running.

 

“Where are we going?!” the boy asked

 

“Away from here!” the two darted down the alley, passed the funnel cake stand and into the closest wooded area they could find. Both of them finally stopped when they ran out of breathe. They sat down in a small clearing to rest.

 

“ So…are…you…going to explain…why you were running from your cousin?”

 

“ It’s his birthday and he wasn’t too happy that I was there…” the boy finally caught his breath and looked her straight into the eye.

 

“Why wouldn’t he be happy that you were there, your family right?  It’s only natural for family members to celebrate each others’ birthday.” Zora couldn’t comprehend what the boy was saying; her family always celebrated her birthday with her. Her Dad, The Lovegoods, her grandpa Murphy on her dad’s side, and her grandma Sophie from her mum’s side. The only one she never actually met in person was her uncle Kingsley…He always sent a lovely gift and a letter but still…

 

“ Well, my family…we don’t really get along.” 

 

“ What about your mum and dad? They can’t approve of the way that your cousin has been treating you.”

 

“ My parents are dead. I live with my aunt and uncle. ”

 

“ Oh…I know how that feels, well partially, my mom died when I was one.” Even though her father said that she could ask questions about magic and mom she never asked how mother died, every time she mentioned her he would have this bittersweet look on his face. And honestly she didn’t think that was ready to hear everything just yet.

 

“ But your aunt and uncle, do they know about what your cousin’s doing?”

 

“ They couldn’t careless.” He said somewhat bitterly.

 

“ That can’t be completely true…I mean they took in didn’t they?” But from what she could see that was where their “kindness” ended. The boy looked utterly miserable. His glasses were in desperate need of repair and his clothes looked three sizes to big for him. Zora got up and sat next to the boy in the oversized t-shirt.

 

“ Yeah but I think they would have rather dropped me off at an orphanage…I think I would have preferred it that way actually.” He didn’t know why he was talking to so freely to this girl about his life. He didn’t even know her name. He just followed her because she led him away from his gluttonous cousin and his friends. He suddenly felt nervous; he had never talked to a girl before…much less anyone else. He didn’t know what to say next. He slowly turned his head to get a better look at her. Her hair was really curly from what he could tell. Her eyes…they were pretty, very pretty actually. Her skin contrasted his own. A honey caramel skin tone. She had a thing frame and her arms and legs reminded him of twigs...not that he much room to judge people still made fun of him for being so skinny. He soon started to blush when he caught himself staring. It wasn't polite but he couldn't help himself for some reason. Her presence was very calming... 

 

“You can’t think of it like that way, maybe everything isn’t perfect now but that doesn’t mean something good can’t happen in the future.” She pulled her legs up to her chest.

 

“ I doubted it living with my family.” They didn’t talk of much after that, somehow there didn't seem a need. The clearing that they were sitting in was actually quite beautiful. They had a nice view of the sky if they looked up through the trees that surrounded them. Time passed and the sun was starting to set. The two of them slowly made their way back to the fair. They made it back to where the first line of booths started. Shouts were come from four places at once all saying one thing.

 

“Zora where are you?!” Oh she was in trouble.

 

And if she wasn’t sure before the look on her father’s face made it definitely clear. 

 

“Oh no…” she groaned.

 

“Who’s that?” the boy asked. He saw a man burling down ally and he was not happy.

 

“ My dad.” He slowly sidestepped away from the girl.

 

“Zora Noel McQueen do you realize how much trouble you are in?” His voice was calm but his eyes were showed his true emotion, fury.

 

“ Dad I can explain…”

 

“ I don’t want to hear it, go to your aunt and uncle. We will talk about this when we get home.” He finally took notice of the boy that was trying make himself smaller than he already was. Samson recognized him in an instant, how couldn’t he? He looked exactly like his father except for his eyes…

 

“But dad…”

 

“Zora, not another word. I will help the boy back to his family, you just do what I say.”

“Yes, dad.” She started walking to where the rest were standing but that didn’t stop from looking back at the boy. She didn’t even get his name and from the way he was standing, he was petrified. Those emerald eyes showed his true fear. She just hoped that he wouldn’t be too mentally scared after dealing with her father…

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

 

            The Lovegoods and the McQueens went the separate ways (after Zora profusely apologized to Xenophillius and Luna for running off), the day had been just a little too exciting. Samson didn’t know where to begin; Zora had never done anything like this before. He was furious, sacred, and happy all at the same time.

 

            “Zora, what were you thinking?” he looked her straight in the eye, but she couldn’t return the gesture. She had never meant to run off, she just wanted to help that boy from his mini giant of a cousin.

 

            “Dad, I don’t know what I was thinking.” Which was kind of true considering it was all spur of the moment.

 

“ All I know is that the boy I was with was running from his terrible sounding cousin and his friends and I thought that he needed some help so I thought…”

 

“And you thought that you would help him? Zora, do you realize how scared we all were? Your Uncle Xenonphillius felt so guilty for letting you go off on your own. Anything could have happened to you.” He started pacing back and forth, rubbing his fingers through his hair.

 

“Nothing happened…”

 

“But it could have Zora. That is the point. Something could have happened. You may have magic but you are still only eight years old. The world is a big place and that fair was just a tiny measurement of the people in it.” Samson continued to pace back and forth. The whole time that Zora had been missing all of the news reports of children being kidnapped and worse popped into his mind. He grew frantic in his search. He couldn’t lose Zora; he knew he wouldn’t be able to make it if something happened to her.

 

“I’m sorry dad…” she knew how disappoint he was in her. She never felt so low in her life. Her hair started to change into a bluish color. She sniffled a little, her eyes set to the floor. Samson finally stopped pacing. She was safe, there was no real damage done (except to his nerves).  Harry had been returned to his family, although none of them seemed too happy about it. And Zora was safe.

 

“Zora, you are never to do anything like that again do hear me young lady?”

 

“Yes dad.” She sniffled. She suddenly felt his arms wrapped tightly around her.

 

“I’m so glad that you are safe. Zora, I couldn’t bear if anything happened to you.”

 

“ I know dad, I didn’t mean to upset you I just wanted to help that boy…”She murmured into his shirt. Samson could feel the tears dampening his shirt.

 

“I understand that Zora, but next time could you please go get an adult next time you are in trouble?” she didn’t say anything but he felt her nod into his neck.

 

“Alright then, up to bed with you.”

 

“Yes dad.” She backed away from her father and wiped her face on her arm. She began to walk to her room but her she heard her father voice one last time for the night.

 

“Oh and Zora you will not be receiving any magic lessons for the next two weeks and you will not be coming to the Ministry. Mrs. Weatherbee will be babysitting you when your metamorphmagus tutor is not with you is that clear.”

 

“Yes dad…” there was nothing else she could say that wouldn’t get her into even more trouble. So she just took her punishment and went up stairs.

 

“ Zora your friendly neighborhood witch…Why does this feel like it is only the beginning?” Samson laughed humorlessly.

 

 

~ HP ~

 

            The next day Ando and his nephew were due to come at 8:00pm that night. He would have pushed the date back but everything was too late to cancel. Samson just hoped that this wouldn’t be positive reinforcement for Zora and her people saving ways…Mrs. Weatherbee had just arrived and so that meant he could leave for the Ministry. He almost felt sorry for leaving Zora with the woman, but a punishment was a punishment and Zora needed to learn that with actions come consequences. 

 

            Zora was bored, her tutor wasn’t coming for two more days and she could not stand one more moment of Mrs. Weatherbee. That old woman was absolutely the worst person to take care of children. She was always scowling and murmuring how ungrateful children were today. The hours past like millennia, she stayed in her room for the majority of the time doing nothing. This was how it usually was when ever Mrs. Weatherbee was baby-sitting. She would be upstairs and the old woman would be downstairs and never the two shall meet, unless it was for food. She just stayed in her room and gazed up at her enchanted ceiling. Her dad locked up the spell textbooks so she couldn’t read ahead or practice. She looked at her alarm clock, any moment her dad would be home any moment. Her father always came home at 5:00 sharp. And it was 4:59 now. 30 seconds to go…and the sound of the front door opening and…

 

            “Zora and Mrs. Weatherbee, I’m home!” Samson announced.

 

            “DAD!” Zora ran down those stairs and catapulted her self into his arms. He nearly fell at the force of her tackle.

 

            “Whoa there we’re is the fire?” He knew that his daughter didn’t like the bat but still…

 

            “Don’t leave me with her again, I swear I won’t do another bad thing ever my existence please…” She whispered frantically. Samson guessed that he made his point…

 

            “ Hello Samson.” The room got ten degrees colder. Samson looked up from Zora and looked at Mrs. Weatherbee. She was a very dignified woman, proud and rigid.

 

            “ Hello Mrs. Weatherbee.” She would not answer to anything else. Samson quickly paid her and escorted her back to her house.

 

            “ That will teach you to run off won’t it?” he laughed when he saw her nod her head emphatically.

 

“Alright, no more Mrs.Weatherbee but Zora that doesn’t mean that you are completely off the hook. Your still not getting any more magic lessons for two weeks. Now we are going to have an old friend of mine come and he is going to be giving you something that you will be taking with to you.

 

            “ A present?”

 

            “ In a manner of speaking…” 

 

            “ When is he coming?”

 

            “ At 8:00 and I want you on your best behavior Zora.”

 

            “Yes dad.”

 

For the next three hours Zora wondered what the mysterious guest was going to bring. Her dad wouldn’t give her any hints, and being eight-year-old and promised you have a present waiting for you and not knowing what it could be is torture. Finally, 8:00 came and there was the doorbell she had been waiting for. Zora ran for the door but was intercepted by her father.

 

“Zora, living-room couch now and don’t move until I tell you.” Zora pouted but did what she was told.

 

She heard her father talk to the man in a happy tone and ushered him into the living room. Her father said that he a friend coming over not two…

 

“Zora, darling, this is my old friend Ando Takarai and this is his nephew Hyde Kurosaki.”

 

“ Hello, Mr. Takarai…hello Mr. Kurosaki…”the shyness was kicking in again. She was didn’t look at them directly and focused on her shoes.

 

“ Samson, you didn’t do her justice. She’s beautiful just like Cecile. Your going to have beat the boys off with a stick when she grows older I can see it now.’ Ando said with a slightly thick accent. He wore a black suit and had his hair pulled back in a short ponytail. He wore a very nice pair of glasses. He seemed nice and her dad seemed to like him even if he hadn’t really mentioned him before. She trusted her dad’s judgment. She noticeably became more relaxed and lifted her head to make eye contact. He had warm coal eyes. He smiled at her and winked.

 

“Well boys are pretty far off Ando so I think I’ll be okay for now.” Just keep telling yourself that, time has been moving so fast.

 

“You know Zora-chan I have a few stories about your dad that will knock your socks off.”

 

“You do?”

 

“Yup, I remember this one time…”

 

“ Ando, remember she is only eight. And speaking of numbers Zora has a bedtime so lets focus on at the matter at hand shall we?” He playfully glared at his friend.

 

“Ah yes, the ancient bonding process. Now, Zora-chan this is serious matter we are dealing with are you sure that you can handle it?” She nodded vigorously

 

“Well then, Hyde could you bring out the box.” Hyde did what his uncle asked, without a sound and placed the rumbling box into the middle of the room. Zora took extra-notice of the boy called Hyde. He didn’t look too old, in fact seventeen. He had soft blonde hair and really intense eyes. He hadn’t smiled once since he got there but that didn’t seem to bother Zora one bit. She became a little bit flustered when he turned his head in her direction. She was so entranced by the mysterious blonde that she barely heard the loud growling noises coming out of it. The box itself wasn’t too fancy. It had medium sized holes into it and it shook, like something was in it. Zora looked at her father confused and he just nodded. She looked back at the box and watched as Ando unlatched the box. All sides of the box fell to the ground and what was inside made Zora squeal with delight.

 

“ PUPPIES!” she wanted to get one the floor but Ando held out his hand.

 

“Now Zora, these creatures are very special. I want you to think of a name and after you thought very hard about this name I want you say it only once, can you do that for me?” she nodded and then focused her attention back to the litter of puppies before her. What would she name a puppy? There was always Sparkles, or Rex….and then she thought of the perfect one.

 

“Luca.”

 

The pups on the floor had been busy gnawing and playing with each other the entire time that the humans were talking. They paid them now mind until one of them said the name

 

“Luca.” A black pup, with striking blue eyes popped his head out of the fray. He managed to get himself free from the pile and slowly walked up to where Zora was sitting on the couch. He looked straight up to her, sat down and bowed his head. A magically adjustable collar appeared on its neck.

 

“Congratulations Zora-chan, this hound will be your companion when you are off to school.” 

 

“Really?! He’s mine?!” She looked at her dad with excitement, her eyes changed into beautiful gold. 

 

“Yes, Zora he is yours, but you must remember he is your responsibility now and you have to take good care of him. Can you do that?” Ando smiled at the little girl, she was so full of life and happiness, no wonder why his friend wanted to protect that so fiercely.

 

“Yes daddy, I promise.” She couldn’t help but squeal. “Can I play with him now?”

 

Samson laughed and nodded his head.

 

“Yeah!” Zora got on the floor and called Luca to her, the pup instantly reacted to her with excitement and playfulness. She picked him and held on tight but Luca didn’t seemed to mind one bit. In fact he quite  enjoyed the attention given to him by his new charge.

“Zora, don’t you have something to say to Ando and Hyde?”

 

“Yes, Thank you Mister Ando and thank you Mr. Hyde I promise to love and take care of Luca as long as I live.” She was beaming; They didn’t seem surprised at her eyes changing color. Samson told them before coming into the house, just so they were not caught off guard.

 

“ Thank you again Ando for doing this.”

 

“Not at all Samson it was worth it to make Zora-chan smile. Well, we better be off we have some traveling to do tomorrow…” Hyde already packed the rest of the litter safely back into their box.

 

Zora stood up with Luca in her arms, “ Your leaving already?”

 

“I’m afraid so Zora-chan.”

 

“ But it’s late, you could get lost. Daddy, couldn’t they stay here for the night?"

 

“Zora I’m sure they’ll be fine.”

 

“Don’t worry Zora-chan. We have rooms at the Leaky Cauldron to stay at for the night.”

 

“But, but.” She didn’t want Hyde to leave yet…For some reason or another she didn’t want Hyde to leave just yet. Zora’s hair turned blue when she thought of him leaving.

 

“Zora, princess, it’s not like you’ll never see them. I’m sure when they have a free moment they can come back and visit again.”

 

“Of course Zora-chan, I still have to tell you those funny stories about your dad don’t I?” she nodded reluctantly. She turned to where Hyde was standing.

 

“ And…and will Mr. Hyde comeback too?” He made no reaction.

 

“ Forgive him Zora-chan Hyde is the strong silent type. So he doesn’t talk much. We’ll both come back I promise.”

 

            “Okay…” she still didn’t like the thought of Hyde leaving but if he promised to come back then she guessed it was okay.

 

            “Wonderful, so no more frowning faces okay Zora-chan?”

 

            “Yeah.” she gave him a small smile.

 

            “Alright, now give your uncle Ando a hug and we’ll see you next time.” She gave him a hug and then quickly gave one to Hyde and the sprinted off to her room.

 

            “Hyde, go back to the Leaky Cauldron I want to talked to Samson for a minute.” Hyde nodded, to his uncles (he was still slightly shaken by the impromptu hug) and apparated out of the house.

 

             With both underaged wizards out of hearing shot, Ando quietly chuckled.

 

            “What’s so funny Ando?”

 

            “It’s nothing Samson, but I think little Zora has a crush on my nephew.”

 

            “W-what? She's only eight years old! A-and she just met the boy and..and he is way too old for her.”

 

            “Relax Samson it’s just a little kid crush I’m sure that she will get over it soon enough.” Ando laughed at his friends panic. Oh Zora’s teen years where going to be fun, for him at least.

 

 

~ HP ~

 

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.