Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Here's chapter 7 everyone hope you like it. 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

 

Chapter 7

 

 

 

~ HP ~

 

 

Three months had passed since Hermione and Zora became friends. During those months the bond that started on that partially sunny day in September grew ever stronger. In October they celebrated Halloween-wizard style. During school, it was a tradition that all of the children would come dressed up in costume. Zora thought some of it was a little bit offensive, especially the girls who dressed up as "witches". Hooked noses, green skin and warts. Really? That's what they thought what a witch looked like? It reminded her of a man they learned in history class.  An American minstrel who used a thing called blackface in his act. The man went by the name of William H. West. They learned a little of the stereotyping of blacks in America and how the trend later came over to England. Zora knew that it was different in this situation. They didn't know that real magic even existed so how could they know that it was offensive? Still she couldn't say that their parading around and the evil cackling didn't hurt her. Out of respect and newfound knowledge of the offense, Hermione chose not to participate in the Halloween party activities. The Christmas holiday was coming closer and closer and thought of spending time with friends and family brought her back two people, Luna Lovegood and her mother.

                                For the longest time Zora had ached to talk to Luna. To tell her all about what was happening with her and to gain a different perspective on the manner. She must've written at least ten letters over the course of their separation, each one unsent. She didn't know why she was finding it so hard to talk to her good friend. They hadn't talked in so long...and maybe that was the problem. They were drifting a part from each other Zora reluctantly admitted to herself. She feared that she wasn't the same person that she was before she find out she was a metamorphmagus. In a moment of retrospection, or at least retrospective as a nine year old could be, she realized how closed off she had become. Before, she would talk to her father about anything. She was an open book but now she felt a like prisoner of her own body. Her father worried, she saw it in his eyes whenever she looked at him. She didn't know what to say to him to help ease his worry.  She didn't know what to say anyone. No one understood what she was going through.  Not even Tonks, the one that who could relate to her the best.

 

                               Zora sat at her desk and looked into her mirror. She looked at herself and did not like what she saw. She saw a girl who was afraid of her own shadow. She saw a girl that was becoming afraid of doing anything fun because she feared that someone would find out her secret or secrets (kind of late on that one). She hated it. She hated what she was becoming. She was not a crybaby. At least not anymore. She had to be brave; she was the daughter of a Gryffindor alum for Merlin's sake!

 

                              Zora thought of her mother, she thought of what she would say to her if she saw her in such a state. She'd probably say that crying over this wasn't going to change it. She'd probably say, that Tonks was right and to be proud of the gift she had been.  Zora glanced over to a picture she had of her mom and her when she was a baby. Her mom looked so happy, she held on to her younger self so tightly. Zora watched as the picture moved. She saw as her mom kissed the top of her head and helped her baby-self to wave at the camera. She raised her chubby hand to lips and kissed it. Zora focused back to the mirror, she closed her eyes and imagined her mother's face. When she opened her eyes she saw her mother's face instead of her own.  She smiled and for a moment she pretended that it was her mother smiling at her. She thought, at first, that this was a bit mental. However, she then realized that this would probably be the closest she would ever get to coming into some type of physical contact with her mother. Slowly, a slightly larger smile crept across her face. Zora felt closer to her mother than ever. She gingerly touched her faced, a smile still there.

 

                               " You can do this Zora, I believe in you. Don't ever give up." She changed back just as her father opened her bedroom door.

 

                               " Zora darling who were you talking to?" She looked at him through her mirror, a sense of serenity visible on her face.

 

                               " Just having a chat with mum."

 

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

              The plan was for the two families to finally meet on Christmas Eve for dinner. Hermione had invited them for dinner  (after the great insistence from her parents). The McQueen family was in the process of getting ready for the dinner while Zora accidentally let it slip that she had told the Granger girl that she was a witch.

 

                       " Excuse me, young lady what did you just say? I thought for a moment I just heard you say this girl knows that you are a witch. Please, tell me that I misheard you."

 

              " Well...in my defense dad, the cat was pretty much out of the bag once Luca went into protective mode. My small transfigurations, I probably could have talked my way out of those, but with Luca...there was just was no going back from that."

 

             " Oh bloody hell..." sighed to himself. Part of him wanted to cancel but they had already given their word that they would attend.

 

                            " She promised that she wouldn't say a word and I believe her. She's very nice and very smart dad. Probably the smartest in our entire class."

 

                            " That maybe all well and good Zora but you know that muggles knowing about us is forbidden."

 

                            " But dad why is it so forbidden? Why is the whole magical world so hush-hush about absolutely everything?"

 

                            " It's in the best interest for everyone darling. Once upon a time muggles and wizards did coexist, which lead to chaos. Eventually the two sides thought that it would be better just to part ways. It's arguable been a lot more peaceful since the worlds separated."

 

                           " But then what's the point of you sending me to a muggle school if I can't make friends?" 

 

                           " You can make friends,  but you can't tell them about...the other stuff." He finished awkwardly. He was standing in front of his mirror fixing his tie. He was never good at making a fresh tie; Cecile would always laugh at him as she'd fix it for him. Even after her passing he still couldn't manage it, so Zora took over the task.

 

                          " So you mean lie?"

 

                          " No, just don't mention it. "

 

                          " But isn't that the same as lying?"

 

                          " No, because she didn't ask."

 

                          " But what if she did ask, then I would have to lie. And you've always told me that lying was wrong."

 

                          " And it is, look Zora sometimes people might seem like they're trust worthy but turn out to be the last ones you should trust."

 

                        " But dad I know I can trust Hermione, I just know I can. I have this feeling in my chest...it kind of feels like it when I'm with Luna." She thought about if they were to ever meet. Luna would probably go off on a whimsical tangent about moon frogs and Hermione would then probably try and tear through any possible book trying to find out them. Zora wanted them to meet; she honestly thought that they would all get along swimmingly.

 

                         Samson looked at his daughter and saw her wide-eyed determination and trust.  He saw Cecile. According to her there was goodness in every person, no matter how hidden it may have been. She knew when to be cautious but that didn't stop her by putting herself at risk.

 

                         "Samson, Dumbledore asked us to stay vigilante for any sight of dark wizards. We live in a community of muggles, they need us Samson we can't just abandon them."

 

                          Loyal to friends, family and strangers alike. She was strong believer muggle-wizard cooperation and that one-day the two worlds would meld together once more. That same line of thought seemed to have somehow trickled down into their daughter. Muggle-wizard cooperation, it was a wild, unlikely dream but it was far be it for him to tell his daughter who to be friends with. As long as she was safe and happy that was all that really matter in the end. Plus if the muggle girl had said something the amount of danger it could lead to would be minimal. It was the blessing and the curse of being a child. The younger you are the less people believe you.

 

                          " Alright darling, I trust your judgment. If she is as good as you think she is then I do not see a problem." Lets just hope that no one will regret the union.

 

                         " Oh papa you'll love her. She's absolutely brilliant. You'll see." She ran back in to her room (with Luca in toe) to finish getting ready.

 

                          " I hope so for your sake..."

 

 

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

 

   "...And you guys promise you won't say anything embarrassing while the McQueens are here right?"

 

           " Embarrassing, what ever do you mean Hermione?"

 

                           " Like talking non-stop about your dentistry practice dad."           

 

                          " Since when did us being dentists embarrass you Hermione?" Matilda was putting down the china and the place mats. Hermione had been buzzing around the house making sure that everything was in order for the arrival of the McQueen family.

 

                           " I'm not embarrassed that you're dentists mum. I just don't think that it's proper dinner conversation. We are going to be eating and I don't think they would like to hear about the different types of tooth decay." Hermione started following her mother and re-folded the cloth napkins and realigned the silverware.

 

                 "Alright dear we'll keep the dentistry talk to a minimum...."

 

                     " And please, whatever you do pull out any embarrassing pictures..."

 

 

                      " Oh now you are just taking all of the fun out of the entire evening." Barnaby teased. He had never seen his daughter so excited for something that wasn't school related. Whoever this girl was she must be something. He had to remind himself to thank her for helping their ‘mione to begin to blossom.

 

                    " What are their names again pumpkin?"

 

                   " Zora and Samson McQueen mum. Don't forget they are brining their pet. Is all the food ready? I think it should be all on the table..."

 

                  "Hermione calm down. Everything is alright, there is no need to worry." Barnaby laughed. Hermione looked at her wristwatch and squealed with excitement.

 

                  " Wait a moment, Hermione you didn't say that they were bringing over any ani-" 

 

                 " They're almost here! Oh my goodness Zora's present I forgot it upstairs." Hermione darted from the dinning room in a frantic blur.

 

                 "-mals...It better be house trained is all I know..." Matilda sighed to herself. She shook her head as finished setting out the rest of the food.

 

                  Hermione quickly grabbed the present she wanted to give Zora and sped back down stairs. She set the gift on the dinner table and waited in the living room for the doorbell to ring. She had taken great pains to make sure that everything went off without a hitch. She wanted to make a good impression on the McQueen family. While she knew that Zora would've been happy with something simple, she didn't know much about her father. Being a man that didn't deal much with muggles personally, it made him an enigma. That's why this dinner was so important, she wanted to make a good impression on him. She didn't want to give him any reason to be skeptical about her friendship with Zora.

 

                  " Okay, Hermione relax. Everything is going to be fine. Just relax." Great she was talking to herself. Lovely. She had never been this nervous about meeting someone. She even took 2 hours trying to get through her hair alone. She shined her shoes until she saw her reflection and chose a simple party dress. The longer she waited the longer she became on edge. She checked her watch every 30 seconds and started messing with the hem of dress.  When the doorbell finally rang she sprung up from her seat, her heart began to race. The only saving grace was that she was not nervously sweating.

 

                  Her mother got to the door before she did and welcomed the guests of honor with a warm smile.

 

                 " Hello you must be the McQueens welcome to our home.  Please, please come in. It must be terribly cold." The family quickly walked into the house, glad to feel the warmth hit them almost instantly.

 

                 " Barn, Hermione the McQueens are here. Come and say hello."

 

                 "Thank you for inviting us to dinner Mrs. Granger. You have a lovely home."

 

                 " Why thank you Zora, please let me take your things." She took their winter coats and gestured for them to go to the living room.  When they got to the room both Hermione and her dad were already sitting on the coach. Hermione jumped up from her seat and quickly moved to meet her friend.

 

                 " Happy Christmas Zora."

 

                " Happy Christmas Hermione. Hello Mr. Granger."

 

               " So finally we meet the mysterious Zora McQueen. The name's Barnaby Granger, pleasure." They shook hands.

 

                " The pleasure's all mine Mr. Granger. I would like you all to meet my father, Samson McQueen." Samson finally stepped into the conversation. He shook hands with the Granger patriarch and smiled politely. He felt a small pair of eyes observing him. Hermione Granger, the girl his daughter put so much trust in. She seemed nervous, happy but nervous all the same.

 

               " And will the misses be joining us?" There was a bit of an awkward silence, Barnaby catching his potential faux pas, became a bit flushed.

 

               " DAD!" Hermione could not have been more scandalized. She knew that the question had been innocent but to have it voiced was a completely different story.

 

               " Um, no unfortunately my wife is no longer with us anymore..."

 

                "Oh, I'm so sorry...divorce is nothing to be ashamed of. My sister Gretchen..."

 

                "DAD, JUST STOP!" Hermione wished the ground would swallow her whole or a meteorite come crashing down on her. Well there goes that friendship, if Zora wasn't offended then her father surely must be. We haven't even had dinner yet and everything is already turning into a disaster...Better get ready to go back to eating alone at lunch because there is no way I can face Zora now...

 

                 " What my father means to say Mr. Granger is that my mum has passed on. But I find that she's always near because she's always right here." Zora pointed to her heart. She smiled, successfully diffusing whatever residual awkward tension.

 

  A small whine lead the humans habitants to look down at the seemingly-left-out hound, and he was so well groomed to boot (freshly brushed fur coat and white clip on tie). All of the McQueens were, Zora wouldn't any other way. Samson was dressed in an all black ensemble; a nice blazer, dress shirt with a few buttons left undone (they decided to forgo the tie because Zora felt that it was too dressy and uptight), black slacks and loafers.  Zora wore a floral dress. The top was black while the bottom skirt had various shades of grey and black flowers. The midpoint of the dress was brought together with a slender silk ribbon. She kept her hair down while one side was sweep and held down by another black silk ribbon bow. Simple black buckle downs were the shoes of choice.

 

" Of course I could never forget my faithful animal companion, Luca. Say hello Luca." The hound barked obediently as he sat next to his mistress.

 

" Right smart dog you got there Zora, can he do other tricks?" Barnaby asked with a hint of curiosity. He had never seen a dog quite like it. It almost seemed like it came from the wild. He would go as far as describe it as wolf-like.

 

"  Yes sir Luca can do your basic commands...among others." She told Luca to roll over and play dead. All of which he did with the slightest of ease. Mr. Granger certainly was impressed. He was about to ask where she had gotten him until Mrs. Granger came into the living room to alert the others that dinner was finished and ready. A collective look of relief could be seen from three of the four persons in the room.

Everyone followed Mrs. Granger to the dinning room. Zora and Samson sat on the right, Mr. Granger sat at the head of the table with the misses straight across from him. Hermione sat on the left, but she was not alone because in a surprising moment of spontaneity Luca decided to lay down next the bushy hair girl.

 

            " The food looks and smells delicious Mrs. Granger."

 

            " Well thank you Zora, being a dentist I want nothing more than the healthiest foods for my family." Both Samson and Zora smiled politely smiled, but her eyes widen a little bit. What was a dentist?

 

            Thankfully Hermione saw the well-hidden look of confusion and quickly stepped in.  " Both mum and dad are dentists, yes. Fixing people's teeth and what not. They have different tools to clean, take out teeth if need be."

 

            " That sounds like quite a dangerous profession." Samson said absentmindedly; he mentally smacked himself on the head. Hopefully they didn't catch that...

 

            " Well, I guess it can be...in a way....um just three weeks ago I had two patients (twins) with impacted molars. Let's just say they weren't exactly the friendliest set of children. One of them bit me while other tried to punch me. I thought would have had to get stitches." Barnaby managed to laugh.

 

            " How barbaric." Samson and Zora became quite invested in the story. Barnaby seeing the interest gladly expounded.

 

            " Yes, well its all in a days work. Somebody has to help the masses against the battle against tooth decay and other dental diseases."

 

            " And a fierce battle it seems to be. I'm so honored that I'm friends with a girl who has such courageous and selfless parents." Maltida and Barnaby were slightly taken aback from the enthusiasm but quite delighted at the seemingly genuine interest.

 

            " And what is that you do Mr. McQueen, Hermione has said that you had a government job." Matilda asked, Hermione had been so vague in description of the McQueen family she felt that she was eating with strangers.

 

            " Please, call me Samson. And the young Hermione would be correct I do have a governmental job. I'm ...into law enforcement I guess you could say...more like...a detective."

 

            " A detective? My word, that must be a very interesting job. I'm sure you have a lot of exciting stories under your belt." Barnaby loved detective novels; he had every single Sherlock Holmes novel and had read them each at least 2-3 times.

 

            " Well I mostly worked behind the scenes now. With it just being me now I don't want risk anything."

 

            " Completely understandable Samson, a man has to do what a man has to do for his family." Barnaby was liking this Samson chap more and more. He was family oriented and a detective. 

 

    " Zora is my main priority so that means I want to take ever precaution for my safety."

 

             " Do you see many rogue blokes from your end Samson?"

 

       "Sometimes, when I do interrogations but I try to limit those as much as I can."

 

               "Brilliant, isn't that brilliant Matilda?"

 

               "Yes dear, very brilliant. How do you like the food Zora, is everything to your liking?"

 

                " Oh yes Mrs. Granger, everything is fantastic. Thanks again for inviting us."

 

                " It's no problem at all. We're just so happy that our Hermione has made a friend that is so polite and well-mannered. Really, Hermione might not have noticed it but my husband and I have. She is opening up, becoming more well rounded. " Hermione blushed at the well-meaning compliments. Really, at this point there was no point of becoming embarrassed. It seemed that her parents were going to say whatever they wanted and as long as the McQueens were comfortable she guessed that she would be fine too.

 

                " Well I can't take all the credit Mrs. Granger, my dads been the best type of influence," She grasped his hand under the table and squeezed, " Even if he doesn't always thinks so himself."

 

                "And as for Hermione, I believe that she would have opened up with or without me. It was a bit... cosmic the way that we met and to be honest...I don't think that I can imagine a life without her now. Personally, I think she would've done just fine without me, all she needed was the right person to listen." Zora smiled at both the Granger women and went back to eating. No one spoke for the rest of the dinner, more like they didn't think that they could have been able to even if they wanted.

 

A certain level of pride could be felt in the room. Samson, just because of the amount of good and humility that he saw in a being that he and the love of his life created. Honesty, even at the worst of times, is better than telling a lie. People can heal from the truth but they can never properly heal from a lie. Cecile told him that once; she had a wisdom that never failed to amaze him. Samson was never a particularly spiritual person before Cecile's death but during the months after her death he would cling to any chance there was of there being an afterlife. He would joke (badly) that she was ancient, but to be honest it was her soul that he was talking about more than anything. Maybe a part of her soul managed to seep inside of the young infant before traveling onward...

 

Throughout the entire evening there was plenty of things that Hermione Granger tried to avoid, most of which were to keep her parents from embarrassing her more than necessary. However, not at this moment. At this moment she wanted to say thank you to Zora for the kind words. She truly didn't see why someone like Zora would want to hang around someone like her. If she really wanted to, Hermione thought, Zora could have easily have become one of the popular kids in their class. She was pretty, fun to be with and always brought a spot of lovely enthusiasm to their conversations. Her only hang up was that she suffered from a somewhat crippling shyness when talking to new people. Probably for good reason, Hermione thought, because she was technically undercover. Every time that she was say something Zora would actually pay attention, like it was the most interesting thing in the world. Even when she rambled (which happened a lot) the level of interest never waned. To have someone (other than her parents) care about what she thought meant a lot to Hermione. She didn't know what she would when her friend eventually went off to that wizard school...

 

" If everyone is done their food we could all go to the living room. Hermione wasn't there something you wanted to give Zora."

 

" Oh yes, Zora come on." Both girls rushed off to the living room. They both sat on the couch.

 

"Zora, I didn't know exactly what to get you but then I remembered the books I told you. Do you remember?"

 

" By that Jane woman and that William fellow yes?" 

 

" Well here you go I hope you like them." She gave the present to Zora and looked at her nervously.  Zora ripped the wrapping paper off and saw the two books that she was dying to have.

 

" Oh Hermione thank you!" It was Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen and a complete works of William Shakespeare. She had borrowed the books from Hermione after she had suggested that she should read them. Zora fell in love with Mr. Darcy (especially after seeing that Colin Firth man when their teacher showed the BBC version).  Her favorite play after, after Hermione explained the wording, was a toss up between A Midsummer Night's Dream and Romeo and Juliet with Hamlet being a close tie for first. Zora tightly hugged Hermione and went to go get her present.

 

" I know that your parents don't like you eating junk food but I figured since it is Christmas tomorrow..." Hermione took one of the presents out of the bag and read Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans.

 

" Just to warn you, they mean every flavor so watch out." Hermione pulled out a small box set of Chocolate Frogs. The box started to shake a little much to the surprise of Hermione.

 

" Don't worry they're not real frogs just chocolates shaped like frogs with a little spell on them."  Before Hermione could say a word of thanks they heard the grown ups come into the living room. Hermione quickly stuffed the magical candy back into the gift bag and set it behind her.

 

" Don't tell us that we missed all the excitement..." Samson insisted on helping to clear off the table, he had hoped that he would have given the girls enough time to exchange presents, specifically Zora's.

 

" Hermione what did you get?" her father asked, he said down in favorite chair and leaned forward.

 

" Um just some candy and chocolates, I know that you and mum don't like me eating sweets..."

 

" Oh I think we can make an exception this one time...It is Christmas after all." He leaned closer to his daughter and whispered, " Just don't let your mum see them okay pumpkin?"

 

" Thank you dad."

 

The rest of the night went rather calmly in Hermione's opinion. Yes, her father continued to talk about Sherlock Holmes but Samson was a good sport (and by a "good sport" she meant that he nodded and smiled at the appropriate times, because honestly she didn't think he'd had a clue who Sherlock Holmes even was).  In return Samson would give some mugglized versions of his times of being Auror. Mrs. Granger sat back in her nicely furnished armchair, drinking a cup of warm tea mixed with a dash of honey. She turned on the table radio and an old Nat "King" Cole saturated the air with a soothing rendition of The Christmas Song. She watched silently as her husband talk excitedly about the many adventures of Mr. Holmes and his assistant Mr. Watson to his willing listener. She then looked over to her daughter who was engrossed in telling her new friend of her thoughts about the social and economic structure of Jane Austen's time and just smiled. She wished the girl the best of luck because if she knew her daughter she was going to have an interesting time keeping up with the way her mind worked. 

 

As she watched the girls interact she couldn't help but take notice the furry little creature that seemed to be so...well...well mannered. She had to be honest; dogs were not her favorite animals in the world. In her experience they were loud, obnoxiously affectionate and they drooled all over the place. Cats were more of her speed; their level of independence and composure was more in tune with her own personality. With that being said however, she had to admit, the furry little pup was a tad cute. Especially with that little white bow tie on his collar. He didn't jump on the furniture (which she was exceedingly happy about).  He just curled up on the floor next to Zora and laid his head down.  Only when he heard sound of a particularly loud crackle from the fireplace did he lift it. As Matilda stared, the pup seemed to take notice of the tea sipping Granger. He simply got up, walked over to where she was sitting and lifted himself to his hind legs and started wagging his tail at her. For a moment she didn't do anything, thinking that he would catch the hint. Nope, he just continued to stare back at her with his tail wagging and looking adorable. Eventually, she succumbed to his bright eyes and happy expression. She lightly petted him on the head and he licked her hand. Matilda let out small, light giggle.

 

" All right you silly thing, you've won this round but don't count me out just yet." She whispered to him, all he did was lick her hand again and then preceded back to his original spot. 

 

It soon became late and the amiable families had to say their temporary farewells. Barnaby proposed another get together some time in the near future. No one was opposed to the idea; Samson would like to hear more about the Sherlock Holmes character and Zora just liked hanging out with Hermione. They said their goodbyes and told each other to have Happy Christmases.  When the Grangers closed their doors and the McQueens began their walk to end of the front of the yard. Zora poked her father in the side, smiling.

 

"Told you'd like them dad."

 

" I admit it, you did."

 

" Brilliant, now Hermione can come over now right?'

 

"...Baby steps Zora ...baby steps..."

 

" Oh fine..." Samson didn't have to look down to see her pout. Just then, a powerful gust of wind hit the young family. The wind was so strong it loosened the black ribbon in her hair right off; it flew off before she could catch it.

 

"Aw, my ribbon."

 

" Nasty bit of luck there, sorry about that darling."

 

" It's alright, it's just a ribbon I guess."

 

" Right you are princess, now hold on to my hand.  Time to disaparate."

 

" Alright," She looked down to her furry companion. " Luca, up up."

 

            The hound obediently jumped up into his mistress' arms, after properly grasping on to him, Zora took her father's hand and they magically teleported back to their warm home just outside of Bristol.

 

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

In the moments after the family disapparated, the flimsy black, silk ribbon was in the middle of being carried off into obscurity was rescued in just the nick of time by a hand. A bony hand, pale hand brought the little hair accessory closer into its view.

 

" M-master would like this, y-yes he would. Asher will be most rewarded...he will.." The being disapparated as quickly as apparated back into the cold December night.

 

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

 

It was Christmas morning in the McQueen house, a toy Santa flying on a broom zoomed through the house. Samson had the radio to Christmas songs; a classic Pixie Elvendork singing Christmas is the Best Kind of Magic. Being like any other nine-year-old on Christmas Day, Zora woke up at the crack of dawn to wake her father. Bubbling over with excitement, Luca sprinting right behind her. Samson had spent most of the night making the living room into a winter wonderland but the look of joy on Zora's face was thanks enough. He had made sure that everything was nice and tidy for when his father and mother-in-law would arrive. His father apparently had something special to tell them, and part of him wasn't so sure that he would have like it. Surprises with his father were really a hit or miss. Nine times out of ten it was something that was going to benefit him somehow. Samson loved his father to death but sometimes he didn't know where stop. When the clock struck nine, there was knock on the door.

 

" Grandpa and Grandmummy Grace are here!" Zora excitedly, she continued to sit on the floor with Luca and her new toy broomstick. Dad thought it would be good for her to get some practice before she went off to school.

 

" Probably, why don't I go check?" Samson said teasingly, still in his nightclothes and robe he answered the door and true enough both grandparents were at his door. He opened it and allowed the brisk December hit square in the chest.

 

" Hello father, Grace Happy Christmas. Please come in Zora's in the living room."  Both were dressed to the nines.

 

His father wore a suit (his morning suit, Samson hardly ever saw his father out of one. It was only unless his mother demanded him to change that he did). Although, when his mother passed on his father would wear suits only some of the time. He liked structure but, like his son, family meant the world to him.  When Zora had been born, he unfortunately was away at the time and missed it. So to make up for it he tried to spoil his granddaughter rotten. He brought expensive dresses and little trinkets every time that he got a chance to visit. Samson had to pull him aside and told him that he didn't want Zora to become materialistic at such a young age. His father just scoffed at him,

 

" Impossible, she's a McQueen which means she's inherently level-headed. Besides, it's my right as her grandfather to treat her like the precious gem that she is. Doting and giving advice, those are the best parts about being a grandparent."

 

Samson knew that he was fighting a losing battle so instead he just told him not over do it.

 

Grace, like his father, liked to dote on her granddaughter. However she, unlike his father, was more practical in her approach. She indulged Zora's imaginative mind. The arts, (physical/musical/etc). She told Zora of her time at W.A.D.A. (The Wizarding Academy of Dramatic Arts) during her summer holidays of from Hogwarts. Zora loved those stories, she loved going to plays with her grandmother when her she wasn't gallivanting around the world doing her humanitarian work. Needless to say Zora loved it when her grandparents were able to spend time with her. Christmas was probably the only day that everything that was dragging them apart didn't exist. 

 

" Where is my precious gem, I must see her this instant. Oh where could my darling girl be? " Reginald McQueen questioned dramatically (with extravagant hand gestures).  Zora giggled at her grandfather, she gently set down her Luca and toy broom and catapulted herself into him.

 

" Right here grandpa!" She dug herself into him, she took in his faint sent of cologne and smiled.  Yup, her grandpa alright.

 

" So good to see you again sweet-pea, it has been too long." He gave her a bear hug in return.

 

" And what about your dearest Gran, Zora?" Zora pulled herself away from her and gave her grandmother a hug. " Oh Zora you are growing into such beautiful young lady. Just like your mum."

 

" Thank you Grandma Grace."  Grace wore things that were simple, yet elegant. A lady in every meaning of the word. She let her decade show in her manner of dress and speech. However as far as looks went, people were trying how to age so gracefully. It's a secret that she would never tell.

 

" Now how have you been sweetling? We have so much to talk about..."  Oh yes they did...

 

" Oh Grace talk can happen after presents, now Zora come and sit with your grandfather on the couch." He patted the seat next to him. Zora did what she was told and sat quietly as he took out two presents. One was a small box and the other was a flat box. Zora opened the small box first. She gasped it was an intricately designed elephant statue.

 

" When I was over in India, I saw it and remembered how much you liked animals and just had to get it for you. Do you like it princess?" She looked at him and nodded emphatically.

 

" Oh I absolutely love it Grandpa, thank you!" she gave him a quick hug and then started on the last present.

 

" I had this made especially for you darling." It was a beautiful red dress it looked simple but knowing Reginald there was probably more to it than that. " Hand-woven silk, only the best for my precious gem."

 

" Oh grandpa..." She loved the dress; it was the most beautiful thing she ever saw.  And the shoes, they were red flats and with a small, simple bow on the top. But true to fashion there was a small jewel in the middle of each bow. She knew that this probably set him back quite a pretty penny and felt guilty. "You didn't have to do this grandpa...the elephant statue was more than enough..."

 

" Oh pish-tosh, that's your fuddie duddie father talking. You only deserve the best Zora, never forget that." Grace and Samson looked at each other and just sighed. Reginald would never change, the old coot.

 

" Thank you so much grandpa, this-this is the best dress in world." 

 

" What's the occasion dad, we don't have many places for her to wear that..."

 

" Well Samson, this is something for her to wear for a two-part surprise that is being planned as we speak."

 

" A two-part surprise?" Oh why did he not like where this was going...

 

" All in due time my boy you just let me handle everything.... You don't worry about a thing." Samson saw the cogs in his father's head whirling and became afraid.

 

  " And whenever you say that, that's when I worry the most..." Samson mumbled to himself.

 

" Oh shush don't sass your father Samson it's disrespectful."

 

" Yes, sir." Samson exhaled; he would play along for now...

 

Grace took out her Christmas gift; it was smaller and more compact. Instead of being box and wrapped, the small gift was wrapped up in, what appeared to be, an old scarf. She got up and sat on the other side of Zora.

 

" Zora, I want to give you something that was given to me by your grandfather before he went off to war. Your grandfather...your grandfather was a tinker; he loved messing around with muggle things. Most times he ended up breaking whatever he got his hands on but this...this was the one thing he got right," She uncovered the artifact to reveal a music box. It was a simple circular shape. It fit perfectly in the palm of her hand. It was an antique, faded gold with intricate engravings. Tiny little white beads were draped around it.

 

"Your grandfather spent weeks on this little thing. If he wasn't doing business he was in his work area with this music box." She looked at it with a bittersweet look in her eyes. " He was very secretive about it, whenever I would ask about it he would just smile and say ‘Just tinkering away as usual Darling'."

 

"It was only when he got his draft letter that he finally told me what he was doing. He actually managed to rig this little contraption to play the song we had at our wedding. He even got the notes to come out like a projector. Your grandfather was so proud. Of course at the time I was a bit skeptical (Your grandfather wasn't the best at gift giving). When I tried to open the thing there was no latch or anything on it, just a little hole."

 

" Then how'd you open it Gran?" Zora interjected.

 

" Just a moment Zora, he then gave me a necklace. He told me made that the necklace was the key to opening it. Like a little puzzle piece, the charm on the necklace fit perfectly into the opening. All you had to do was twist it and well - it be better to just show you." She set the music box on her lap, and the unhooked the necklace from around her and gave it to Zora.

 

" There is a little inscription it, read what it says Zora." Zora gingerly took the necklace from her grandmother and looked at it a moment. It was shaped like the sun and read.

 

To you, my heart's song

 

" Your grandfather was as corny as they came but I loved him anyway..." Grace chuckled softly. She took back the necklace and then proceeded to wind up the music box. She took the necklace of and set the both items onto the coffee table so that everyone could see.

 

The music box opened itself up playing a beautiful melody.  The words literally filled the room, as well as the musical notes. The inside was painted to look like a ballroom. The little platform rose up and two little embracing figures stood frozen. Once the music played the two little figures began to dance, their steps harmonized to the music with perfect precision. 

 

We belong together--, we belong together

Just you (Just you), just me (Just me). The world to see

We belong together. You and me forever

Throughout all time, you'll still be mine 

Because you came into my life and made it sweet-

And so complete. You'll be my love--

You'll be my joy--. Forever--. Together--

Ohh...

 

 As the music stopped so did the tiny dancers, their platform receded back into the music box and the top closed itself.

 

" Oh Gran..." Zora was literally speechless.

 

" Your mum loved to listen to this old thing when she was a little girl, frequently I would catch her sneaking into our bedroom to listen to it. As a wedding present I promised your mother that I would give it to her. However, somehow it got misplaced in the move and I feared that it would have been lost forever."

 

" But then why not keep it? I mean, this music box obviously means a lot you and-"

 

" And that's why I want to give it to you, sweetling. I wasn't able to give it to your mum but I knew that I could always to you. This is a gift that isn't just coming from me Zora, but also from your granddad and your mum. I was fortunate enough to have spent so much time with both of them, and I'll always have those precious memories. I just wanted to give you something tangible of him and your mum. I have no doubt that if he were alive today he would love you just as much as I do. " Grace took the necklace and put it around her granddaughter's neck.

 

" But Gran-"

 

" No butts Zora, I will not take it back. This is music box is yours now. All I ask is that you take good care of it." Her grandmother was gentle in her command but firm. No one won against her Granmummy Grace.

 

" Of course Gran, I'll treasure it forever. Thank you so much." She gave her grandmother a warm hug.

 

 " My pleasure darling, now if there are no more presents to give out I would like to know what you and your father have been up to." The three adults didn't give each other presents, not because they didn't love each other but because no one would accept them. Christmas, to them, was just family time.

 

" Yes, what have you been up to since I have been away duckie?"

 

" Well, um....I got a puppy." Zora thought it would be best to ease into the whole conversation about her being a metamorphmagus.

 

" A puppy?"

 

"Yeah, he's really smart and really cute. Luca come." Luca, finally having stopped chewing on his regenerating chew bone he got, obeyed his little mistress. He jumped into her lap.

 

"Huh...I've never seen such a breed of dog before except..." Reginald looked instantly over to his son.

 

" He's a hound if I am not mistaken. Right Samson?"

 

" Yes dad he is."

 

" My question is how did you get him, I thought law enforcement over there were pretty strict about the animal partners."

 

" I asked Ando for a favor, you remember Ando dad."

 

" Yes indeed, I remember him dragging you off to Shinguku. You not showing up until the break of dawn--"

 

" -Yes well, I asked him if he could pull some strings and well...there you go."

 

" He really is cute and so soft as well. His eyes are gorgeous." Grace observed.

 

" Yeah I love him a lot."

 

" Any particular reason that you got him Samson?" Reginald questioned.

 

" Well...um...." Samson didn't know how to tell them this so he decide that being blunt was his only option. Zora looked a little bit nervous so he just spit it out.

 

 

 

     " Congradulations Mum and Dad, your granddaughter is a metamorphmagus."

 

 

 

 

~ HP ~


 

 






Chapter End Notes:

Grandma Grace

Grandpa Reginald 

* Bonus feature: The little song that the music plays is not mine. But if you can't figure out where it came from, I will give you an excerpt from the newest chapter that I have planned. The first one who gets it correct gets the excerpt.

** Hint, it came from an 80's family show and it is sung by African-American lawyer and her dad. 







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.