Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I own nothing and as usual, I'm canon but with a few changes here and there. 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Lunch with the McBain brothers had been fun and easy, Evangeline thought as she shut the door to John's office to head back to her own. Everything seemed less tense now that she and John had settled some of their issues. She knew things were nowhere near perfect and knowing her boyfriend, he would regress a few times into his former silent soliloquy about his demons before he really let go. They had made progress and that was the most important thing for the lawyer. She needed to know that things would always move forward even if they did take a few steps back here and there.

Evangeline bid a few greetings to some of the officers she was familiar with as she made her way into the lobby of the LPD police department. Police Commissioner Bo Buchanan was at the front desk talking with a fellow officer when he spotted Evangeline and gave her a friendly smile and a signal to wait a second.

Since Evangeline was her own boss, she didn't mind being a few minutes late back to the office. Even as she was ready to nod in acknowledgement, he had quickly finished talking with his subordinate and headed over to her with that classic Buchanan grin; still full of Texas grit and southern charm even in the middle of Pennsylvania.

"Evangeline, just the person I wanted to see." Bo said as he gave her a warm hug.

Van laughed as she broke away from the friendly embrace. "Ahh, that hug comes attached with a favor."

"Damn lawyers, think they know everything." Bo quipped grudgingly.

Van didn't need her legal skills to know that she was about to be asked for a favor. She and Bo were on very good terms and they considered one another more than associates even though he and John teased her endlessly that they locked people up only so she could get them out. But Bo was the commissioner and while not as formal as most people were with his title, he was no hugger during business hours either.

Bo jerked his head toward his office and Van nodded as she made way into the commissioner's private workspace. She took a seat as he came in and shut the door behind him.

Sitting down at his desk he grinned, Van noticed with a bit of twinkle in his eye. "First, John will probably not be speaking to you for a few days."

Evangeline scrunched her brows in confusion. "And why is that?"

"Because the whole office will have razzed him about his awful dancing, though the fact that you got him to do it at all on a work day, while on the job, with the risk of getting caught is testament to your charm and fearlessness. So on that I salute you."

Evangeline could only laugh. She figured the length of her punishment for the crime would depend on who saw what. "Well, thank you, I think. And the second thing?"

Bo's smile disappeared. He leaned forward toward his desk and folded his hands together as if he were trying to find a way to choose his next words carefully.

"I saw Natalie outside of John's office while you, Michael and Marcie were there for lunch. I don't know if she was eavesdropping or if she was just there coincidentally. She looked upset and she was crying."

There was an awkward pause for a moment as both understood that Natalie Vega's named being mentioned could stir up rather strong feelings in Evangeline.

Still, Van was a mature and intelligent woman-not to mention compassionate-and the first thoughts that ran through her mind was exactly what she voiced to Bo as he waited for her to say something.

"Was she okay? Everything is good with Cristian right?"

Bo nodded. "I assume so. If you mean has he had any setbacks, not that I have observed. But then again, being away from your family and separated from your wife no more than a few hours after getting married with everyone thinking you're dead, I'm sure it's not easy."

Evangeline agreed. Cristian Vega has been through a lot. More than most human beings would be le to handle. But Cris was not most people. He did have incredible inner strength as he managed to stay away from the gangs and violence that was accustomed to many Angel Square residents in Llanview. Even his older brother, Antonio, had succumbed to the pressure briefly before choosing to aid the law in the end.

Cris was on the verge of becoming one of Llanview's most successful up and coming artists before he was believed to have been murdered while he and Natalie were helping John with a case. They had not even been wed for a full six hours before it happened. That was how Natalie and John had become close in the first place.

But that was all in the past and Cristian was back now. Natalie always said she felt cheated and here she was with a second chance and reunited her first love. "Well, they have each other to lean on now and that's what's most important."

Bo said nothing.

"Okay, so I assume your fine observation skills are seeing things differently and the only reason you would care to talk to me about this is because you think John will somehow become entangled."

"Look," Bo began, "Don't take what I am about to say the wrong way. I love my niece. She is a Buchanan. But I have to admit that my love for her comes out of a sense of duty and obligation. Jessica was born and raised a Buchanan and that doesn't change anything, I don't care what the DNA test says. I watched that little girl grow up into a beautiful young woman who has overcome so much. She is and always will be the niece of my heart."

Evangeline shrugged at his words. "I understand that. Like you said, Natalie is still somewhat relatively new to your family and considering how she got here, I can understand that there would be some bonding issues, but I know you love her nonetheless and would protect her as much as you would Jessica. I don't think that makes you a bad person Bo. At least you're honest about it and you're trying to resolve those feelings. I know you make the effort. You got her the job here after all."

Bo grunted and gave Evangeline one of his soul-searching stares. "And yet, here I am about to prove you wrong by throwing my loyalty in your corner as opposed to my niece."

"And you would be doing that because...?"

"Because I like and admire you very much Evangeline. You have proven your loyalty to many of my friends here in Llanview, though I know we got off to a bit of a rough start when you represented that bastard Mitch Lawrence. Aside from the fact that you are a very intelligent and beautiful woman, you're also a good person. How you can manage to be friends with Nora, Todd Manning, and a host of other people who have conflicting interests in this town without ever betraying any of them, is a mystery to me."

Evangeline rolled her eyes at the compliment but nodded her head in appreciation of his praise. "Thank you, Bo. I appreciate you saying that. It means a lot to me." And she meant that. Bo was a standup guy and he didn't offer a glowing report to just anyone.

"Good," Bo replied. "So trust me when I say that you need to watch out for Natalie. I don't doubt that she loves Cristian. But she has spent the last year or two chasing hopelessly after McBain. I don't think her feelings for him are completely resolved."

Evangeline sighed. It would always come back to this moment wouldn't it? With John unwittingly stuck in the middle of these two women, it seemed that this was an issue that would never go away as long as they all cohabitated in the same town.

"She may have chased him but John hasn't always done a good job of making his intentions clear when it comes to her; for his own reasons obviously. But telling me isn't going to stop Natalie from doing whatever she wants to do whether it's right or wrong," Evangeline pointed out.

"Yes. That's true. But John has moved on and I'd say he's found the right person for him. There are some things that my niece is still lacking that I think would be a major requirement for someone with his...temperament."

"Ooh...I'm telling John that you said he was emotionally high maintenance!" Evangeline joked. Bo threw his head back and laughed.

Regaining his composure, he returned to the matter at hand. "Look, I know he cares for you a lot. And I just want you both to be on guard."

Evangeline's elegant brow rose in a very Philadelphia Hell-to-the-no fashion. "So, what, you want me to relay the message to John about the possibility of Natalie's emotional imbalance? I won't. John is a big boy Bo. He can handle himself and whatever he wants will be exactly what he gets in the long run. Seeing as though they work for the LPD, I'm sure time will tell sooner or later where the situation stands. Because if your intuition is correct, and I will assume that it is, it won't be long before she makes a move. That is her way. "

There was a silence for a moment then the Commissioner smiled, his head cocked to the side and his weathered blue eyes twinkling again and declared, "I think my niece underestimates you."

"Oh really?" the lawyer asked with a grin. "Well, generally, I like it when people underestimate me. It makes my victories that much sweeter. But one thing I don't fight over is men. That is beneath me."

"I believe that about you. But I think she sees you as a woman of privilege who has an affinity for the finer things in life. You had an existence she did not have growing up. Maybe you weren't rich, but you had parents who put you first and made sure you got what you needed to be successful. She had to grow up fast and raise herself. She's never had it easy.  You're the complete opposite of her. I think she sees John as a kindred spirit."

Evangeline brushed that particular sentiment off with a hand. "And yet, she got the luck of the draw. She's a Buchanan now and despite her humble beginnings her life has changed for the better. No one cares what she was-all that matters is what she is now and her DNA will make it hard for her to use that excuse. Doors are opened for her that still will never be opened for me, no matter how hard I've worked to become the person I am today, which is fine.  That only makes me work harder.

"And yes, John is a simple man who prefers beer over fancy wines, but he also grew up in a stable and loving environment just as much as I did and family means everything to the both of us. We have far more in common with each other than he and Natalie. And, I'm not going to make apologies for liking the finer things in life as you put it. I was raised to be the best so I can have the best. I don't think preferring tennis over baseball or enjoying a filet mignon every now and then classifies as me as a snob. I didn't grow up with a silver spoon in my mouth either and I think it bothers Natalie that I can just as easily throw back a few beers and talk about the Eagles and enjoy a night at the Academy of Music. But everything I achieved, I worked for and my parents practically killed themselves to instill these things in me. Her last named changed and overnight she went from a scheming nobody to an heiress and only had to pay for a bus ticket to claim her new life. I'm not angry about it but her logic makes me fear for the future of your family, no offense."

Bo shook his head and grinned. "None taken. Either way, I just wanted to warn you. And to let you know that I'm here for you and John."

"Well I appreciate it Bo. John and I are in a pretty good place right now, but it's always nice to know our friends are supportive, though you know John could care less what anyone has to say about his personal business."

"Very true. Say, while I have you here, what do you think of Daniel Colson?"

Evangeline stared at Bo dumbly for a moment than burst out laughing causing the commissioner to turn a slight shade of red. "I didn't know it would be that funny."

The lawyer rolled her eyes still laughing. "Not subtle at all with the transition and I'm beginning to think that this heart to heart was just the appetizer to the main course, Comissioner!"

Bo grunted, straightening a tie that was not there. "I'll pretend not to be offended by that statement."

Evangeline snorted and held up her hands. "Fine. So, what do I think of Colson...professionally or personally? And why are you so interested either way?"

"Well, a little of both actually. He is the DA after all and I'm just trying to get a feel for who he is."

"Perhaps, because he's dating you ex-wife?" Evangeline pointed out with a smirk.

Bo began sifting through the mountain of papers on his desk. "Of course not. What and who Nora does is her business." The sound of ruffled papers held in abeyance as he met his friend's eyes solemnly. "Unless, of course, you think I need to make it my business."

There was no way in the world as a front row seat attendee to the craziest dance that was Bo and Nora, she could pass up an opportunity to tease Bo Buchanan. The opportunity almost never presented itself and if she was honest with herself, it was nice for a change not be the one romantically challenged.

"If you're asking me to share information that is strictly Best Friends Only confidential, then I'm afraid I have to state attorney-client privilege. But I can say that Nora seems to be content with Colson. He seems to adore her.  Not that it should matter to you because you have Paige right?"

Bo retrieved a piece of paper he had been hunting for and handed it Evangeline with a pen. "You can sign off on this while you're here and for the record, any man who is going to be hanging around my son has the honor of me getting real friendly with his personal affairs."

"Right," was all Evangeline said with a grin as she signed off on her hours logged in the cold case library for the month, "Well professionally speaking Colson seems to be a by-the-book fellow. No one in Philly ever complained about him."

"But..."

Evangeline sighed, not sure whether she was crossing the line as a best friend to Nora discussing her beau with her ex-husband. It was a tightrope, managing friendships since everyone in Llanview seemed to be related, employed, colleagues, or all three with everyone; especially the ubiquitous Buchanans. But there was also the tiny nugget of matchmaking cupid raging through her uncharacteristically romantic veins, no doubt a direct result of her own blossoming love life. A part of her wanted to see everyone as happy as she was and with their perfect mate. Evangeline didn't need to be a native Llanviewer to know Bo and Nora were soulmates no matter how many times they walked away from each other.

So Evangeline elaborated for love's sake.

"But there is something about him, underneath that straight-laced, solid ties only façade, that has you wondering what little skeletons are being weighed down by his All American Quarterback trophy."

Bo nodded slowly, his fingers rubbing his chin in thought. "Hmm.  I can agree with that. Seems a bit on the edge at times. The whole Cramer case comes to mind."

"But that could just be the stress of the job. Being the DA of Llanview only seems easy from Philly, until you realize just how complex this little town is and how much criminal activity goes on behind mansion doors."

"True...and if I voiced these, uh, professional concerns to Nora it could come across as-"

"Jealously petty?" Evangeline offered.

The commissioner glared at the beautiful lawyer and grunted as he saw the mischievous twinkle in her coal colored eyes. He slapped his hands on his desk and grunted. "We never had this conversation Williamson, but keep your eye out for me okay?" Bo's face softened. "I just want to make sure she's okay."

Evangeline nodded and made a move to stand when Bo held a hand up. "Wait, one second, I can give you a copy of those files you asked for the Stevenson case and you can sign those off while you're here. I'll be right back."

"Oooh, the commissioner playing the secretary for little ol' me," Evangeline joked.  "Thank you Bo. I appreciate it but take yor time as I'm not in a rush."

Bo headed for the door and closed it brusquely behind him.

A couple minutes had passed and Evangeline had her eyes closed envisioning her opening argument for Daniel Stevenson, an eighteen year old college student whom Evangeline believed was wrongfully accused of holding up a 7-11 one month ago. She knew they had a strong case to build on. The boy had not one violation against him, not even in his school records. As a young black man, however, and considering that this happened in not-so-friendly-to-minorities Blue Bell, a few towns over from Philly and Llanview, the odds could totally be stacked against him depending on the jury they received. She wasn't going to be playing loose with the boy's future. He had dreams of becoming a doctor and something like this could ruin his life forever. He didn't have a strong alibi, but she could and would work with everything she had. She promised that to him and the grandmother that raised him and saved every penny so he could attend the best schools. There was no way she could let them down by being careless and arrogant in her abilities.

Evangeline was just about to stretch when the door opened abruptly.

"Uncle Bo-I mean Commissioner-Anna told me to give you these..."

Evangeline turned her head slightly and put on her best professional smile as she watched Natalie Buchanan Vega's own falter at the sight of her.  Am I that bad? Evangeline laughed silently to herself as she took in the ginger's appearance. As usual, the child was dressed in completely inappropriate attire for such a setting. Her low cut olive sweater hugging her busty chest and curves paired with black skinny jeans was not necessarily the most offensive thing in the world, but it also reeked of unprofessionalism.

And because Natalie was never one to cover her emotions, she automatically rolled her eyes. "Sorry," she said unconvincingly with one hand on the door and a stack of filled to the brim manila folders.

Evangeline had a much better poker face, her pleasant demeanor never crumbling once though inside she was not so gracefully bitch slapping the hell out of the little twerp. "Hello Natalie. Bo just went to get something for me. He should be back any minute."

If looks could have killed, Van was sure she would be falling from William Penn's hat to her death. But she had to give the girl credit. She managed her give a short nod as she made her way to her Uncle's desk, unceremoniously dropping the files without even a hint of reorganizing the mess she made. Evangeline sighed, fighting the urge not to fix the desk knowing that Natalie would get snarky, and quite frankly she was in too good a mood to argue with the adolescent behavior of a brat stuck in a woman's body. The fact that she was aware that Natalie had spied on her and John was annoying but not completely unexpected. Still, she knew that girl was, as her sister would say, "in her bag." And she was waiting for the shoe to drop.

Natalie returned to the door, but instead of leaving she rested against the entrance, her arms folded. Evangeline continued to smile and begin examining her nails. She certainly wasn't going to offer up a conversation with the girl. It would be a waste of her maturity and knowing Natalie, she would not be able to help herself. She would open her trap to say something offensive at one point.

Van begin humming absentmindedly Dancing In The Moonlight, trying to decide what she should cook for dinner once at home. She was pretty sure McBain would be spending the rest of the week at her place and she wanted to do something domestic for a change.

She heard Natalie clear her throat.  "So, I saw Marcie and Michael in John's office today with you. I hope everything is alright."

Okay, brat! I see how you're going to play this one out, Evangeline thought.  Not bothering to look away from her nails she replied, "No. All is well." You're gonna have to work for your fish, honey.

"Oh."

There was silence and the impalpable tension that always proceeded over the two women whenever they were in close proximity to one another. Van honestly didn't take Natalie all that seriously.  From her side of things it wasn't that she ever felt threatened. There were just levels of annoyance mixed with the disappointment that she wasn't another woman's cup of tea over a man that was never the other female's to claim. She didn't like the idea of having to dislike someone because they didn't like her for such a trivial reason.  Van was a woman who believed in the power of female unity.

When she and John started their thing, Natalie was nowhere in the picture. Their "connection" had fizzled long before she came around. And whatever guilt she carried was solely for how she cheated on RJ with John. Yes, she and RJ Gannon were not in the best place at the time, but they were still involved and she had never cheated on a man before. Truthfully, there had never been the kind of tether binding, earth shattering chemistry in any of her relationships prior to that fateful night in Mary Barnes' basement. But, her impulsive behavior also put Nora in a tight spot because RJ was her ex brother-in-law whom she was still very fond of, despite his nefarious shenanigans on the other side of the law. She regretted that more than anything. So yes, she accepted the bitterness that came with a run in with RJ as her punishment for hurting his pride as a man and having a slutty moment. 

But as far as the hot mess standing to the side of her was concerned, she would not put up with the blatant disrespect. Ever. Natalie's current problem was that people didn't know how to tell her to have several seats when she wrote checks her behind couldn't cash and as a result she frequently had to be put in her place. Van was just the person for the job.

From her peripheral vision, she saw the girl roll her eyes in frustration but went on. "I guess they are gearing up to go to Mrs. McBain's for the holidays. I was there when John was working that Atlantic City bust.  Eve really made me feel like family; all of John's family, actually."

Evangeline couldn't help but laugh as she saw Natalie's triumphant grin and "Take that bitch" gleam in her evil little chipmunk eyes as she took a different approach.

"I'm sure you and Cristian felt very welcomed. It's nice to know that there are still people who are willing to take on another's troubles in a time of need. I'm sure you both not being with your family on a holiday weighed heavily on Eve's mind even though you were a complete stranger and especially since John got you involved in that case."

Van finally turned her head toward Natalie slightly and gave a wholesome smile for good measure. As Natalie's shit-eating grin turned a scowl, Evangeline went for the kill. "How is your husband by the way? Is Cristian feeling better?  Lindsay tells me he's painting again. He's doing a new portrait of you! I'm really glad to see his devotion to you hasn't faltered a bit despite your lengthy separation from each other. Your love seemed to be the only think he held on to for hope while Carlos Hesser held him captive. You're one lucky lady."

The red head flipped her hair, clearly stalling for yet another way to attack the attorney. "I know how lucky I am Evangeline. You don't have to tell me my husband loves me. He tells me every day. That's what happens when you're in a committed relationship with an emotionally available person. I don't have to force him to tell me anything because he's always willing."

Here we go.

"That's great Natalie. I'm glad you're finally getting the attention and affection you deserve from someone who truly loves you, flaws and all. Your self-esteem is grateful, I'm sure."

This time, Evangeline was the one to roll her eyes heavenward as she watched the poor girl let the insult sink in.

Natalie unfolded her arms, her face turning almost as red as her dye job. "You bitch!" she exploded pointing her finger at the lawyer's expressionless face. You think I'm the one with low self-esteem? You're the one hanging on to a man, waiting for him to tell you he loves you, while he's in my space every chance he gets. You are so fucking path-"

"Pause," Evangeline held her hand up, this time her body turned fully around but firmly planted in her chair. The one word was said so icily it caused Natalie to take a step back.

"You don't want it sweetie. You. Do. Not. Want. It. For even as that infantile mind begins the attempt to start the fuckery, I have already finished it, argued a case, put the laundry in and am snuggling comfortably in my bed for a good night's rest. It's done Natalie. And I suggest you accept it and let it percolate in that little bird brain of yours. Live your life out with your husband and grow the hell up because you are entering into adult territory and you're not ready for it. You can try to play chess with me all you want but I will checkmate your ass every time without lifting as so much as one finger you. So please, make your next move so I can shut it down."

Natalie's eyes begin to water and Evangeline could see the effort she was making not to break. "It will never last," she whispered.

"But why the hell do you care so much? You love your husband. That's your soulmate right?"

The other woman tried to interject but Evangeline held up her hand again. "Bye Natalie. You are so transparent; you make vodka look like a solid. Go straight to your default plan. Get your chest game on and cozy up to John with your sob story and ‘why not me?' rants. You're looking for rejection in the wrong place because I don't swing that way my dear." Evangeline turned back around in her chair and began reexamining her nails, clearly finished with the conversation.

The Commissioner chose that moment to make his presence known. His face giving nothing away, he cleared his throat as he passed his niece who was visibly upset and ready to commit murder.

Passing the promised files over to Evangeline, he stood in the middle of the two women.Looking from the red head to the brunette, Bo sighed. "Is everything alright here?" he asked damn well knowing it wasn't.

Evangeline shrugged nonchalantly and placed the files in her suitcase as if she had not a care in the world. "Everything is peachy." Gathering her things she rose regally, as if she were a queen coming off her throne and Bo had to admit she was all of that and more. "I've got to get back to the office. Thank you Commissioner."

Bo smiled at her warmly and gave her a wink for her eyes only. "No problem. Call me later. You, John, Paige and I should have a get together."

"I will."

Evangeline walked past the frozen girl without a glance and simply said, "Natalie," then shut the door softly behind her.






Chapter End Notes:

As Scooby Snacks are loved by Scooby Doo, I love more my chapter reviews.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.