Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

MA rating. Strong language. Adult sexual situations. Based on True Blood series. Characters belong to HBO, Alan Ball, Charlene Harris. Story lines are from the show infused with my own take on things. Enjoy and don't forget to give your reviews. Thanks.
Special, shout out to:jj82, outlawstar615, FranklinsMuse,Ififall,Threeb1973,
wisedec4u, jjazz59,  Tobagogirl,  attheritz,  Vie,    tamshipper,   TheSouthernScribe,   Scribe and all who have supported me. 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


CHAPTER 3: To Old Friends


Sam

The therapist said that writing down my thoughts each day should help me to control my anger by reflecting and putting things into perspective. He was right. Even though I haven't been back to him in many months I still keep my journal up to date and I'm proud to say that I've kept my temper in check. In ten months I haven't gone off on anyone, least of all my customers. I've even picked up reading again. On top of which, I've made a few friends, Emory, Suzanne and Luna. What makes it great is that they are shifters like me. I first met Emory at Walmart in the hardware section and instantly we hit it off. Then he told me how he'd just formed a small club of shape shifters and invited me to join. A loner for many years but social at heart, I said "sure". So, for the past few months, I've been meeting up with them regularly at nights. We talk about all manner of things, most of all getting stuff off our chests. Then, we all shift together and go for a nice run. It's fun having company going on nightly runs.

I've found that with them, I don't feel alone or judged. With them, I feel accepted. Which is a heck more than I can say about my lame ass good for nothin' brother, Tommy. One would've thought that he being my brother and fellow shifter that bonding with him would've been a cinch. Also, we ought to have a lot in common. I had hoped that he and I would've been able to share a lot of things and I was hoping that with him I would no longer feel alone in this world. But, that would never be the case. Because with him, I've never felt lonelier. We are different, like night and day. I regret the day I met him. Just thinkin' about him makes my blood boil.

Tommy. I really did all I could to help him. I practically rescued him from his leech sucking parents and gave him a job and a place to stay. And after all I did for him, he turned around and kicked dirt in my face. That ungrateful fuck. He just kept pushing me, kept using me, kept twisting me, kept breaking me.

He's the reason why I ended up going to a therapist and group meetings in the first place. A year ago I came close to killing that son of a bitch. I mean literally. After he cleaned out my safe and made a run for it, I tracked him down and confronted him with a gun. Even with a gun pointed squarely at his face, he brazenly waved off my threats and turned his back on me slinging a large duffle bag full of my cash over his shoulder. Then he said that I didn't have the fucking guts to shoot him. Hearing him say that made me see red.

I saw red and time slowed down. In the crisp open night air, I stood with my glock .45 pointed straight at the center of his back. My finger curled ever so slowly but steadily about the trigger, a mere fraction of a second away from losing everything.

Then, out of nowhere a voice came to me in a calm soothing whisper, "nothing is worth going to jail for."

It was in that fraction of a second my mind drifted to a time when me and Tara sat at my porch talking about her abusive past. The long and short of her story was that she too came close to killing a pedophile her mother once dated a long long time ago, but stopped herself just in time in a moment of clarity and told herself that no matter what life throws at you, nothing was worth going to jail for.

That one voice of reason saved me. She saved me from committing cold bloodied murder and going to prison.

I lowered my aim and shot the thieving fuck in the leg. The sad thing is that it felt fucking good shooting the little shit. I can thank my lucky stars that I'm not behind bars. But, I'm saddled with his hospital and physio therapy bills while he lives high off the hog at Mrs. Fortenberry's. Lucky for him, she was looking for someone to coddle after her son Hoyt moved out, and he was it. She may think that he has changed for the better, but I've got news for her, Tommy isn't the type you can trust. I guess someday she'll learn the hard way.

It is short of a miracle that Maxine managed to teach Tommy to read and write. Which is much more than what the Mickens could have ever done for him. Melinda and Joe Lee denied him the opportunity to see the inside of a class room. Instead, they beat him, taught him to steal and forced him into dog fights for he was their meal ticket. It is no wonder he turned out the way he did. Shit, I thought I had it rough growing up, until I met Tommy. I guess I should thank Melinda for putting me up for adoption when I was a baby as otherwise, I would've ended up just like him. A no-good, or worse, a no-good in jail. No matter how much I hate my brother, I pity him. He's had it rough. Had things turned out slightly better for him, I think he would've had a better chance of doing something good with his life. I still talk to him whenever he comes around but that is the extent of our relationship. He's just not the sort you go inviting into your home.

You know I thought I locked all my windows securely but the bastard still somehow managed to get in. He probably shifted into a cockroach or something smaller before slipping through the slightest of opening, but, as for him rooting through my personal stuff and writing all manner of shit in my journal just infuriates me. It makes me want to punch him in the face. But, after I read his take on things, I have to admit, it was kinda funny. He's got one heck of an imagination. I'm not too keen on the way he wrote Tara though. No one should ever think of her like that. Makes me sick to think he thinks of her that way. He better fucking stay away from her.

I'm happy that Tara is back. In fact, I should be thrilled, but after we had that talk yesterday, I'm not so thrilled after all. I was a fool to believe she would come back into my life and we would pick up where we left off. Boy, was I ever wrong. Thirteen months is a long time for a man to hope.

After that nice chat over tequila, at least now I know that we were still friends and that she wasn't mad at me for telling her that I am a shifter. For months on end I thought she left because of me. I believed she thought I was a freak. As it turned out, that wasn't the case at all, for which I am glad. She said she left Bon Temps because she needed to start her life over and who could blame her after all that she went through. Maybe it wasn't such a bad thing that she left this backwoods town. There isn't much here for a young person like her. Especially someone as smart as her. Obviously she did something right by it. She seemed calmer than before. She looked so pretty yesterday, I cannot remember seeing her smile that much. God, I missed her.

I still think about the last night we spent together. That one time, thirteen months and nine days ago when for the very first time ever we made love. The level of intimacy we shared was profoundly deep. It was beyond what I have ever felt in my entire life. That one night we shared so much more than most couples do in a lifetime of knowing each other. I know she felt it too. But that was then and this is now. Maybe she thinks I'm still some kinda drunken ass-hole. Believe you me, she's had one too many drunks in her life. But I've changed. Couldn't she see that?

I don't think she knows how much I cared for her, or how much she hurt me by leaving. She doesn't realize how for months I felt directionless without her, and how painful it was for me not knowing what she was feeling, thinking, not knowing if and when she'll ever return. Yesterday I should've put my guts out on the table and let her have it, make her see that I still need her. I wanted to tell her how much I missed her and how much I hated her for leaving me. But how could I when she suddenly up and left with Jesus to chase after Lafayette or something like that. Whatever they were up to, it sounded serious. Anyway, I might as well accept that it is already over between me and Tara. I might as well face fact that she's happy with that other person she met in New Orleans and has moved on with her life with. So maybe it's time I do the same.

It's been a while since I ever gave it much thought into seeing other people. Screw this, I'm ready. I'm a social animal and I'm tired of being alone. Luna is a shifter, attractive and seems nice enough. Hopefully she is unattached. Tonight I'll find out.

~0*0~

 


 

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.