Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

A/N: http://bcnilopus.tumblr.com is the new Tumblr page I post everything center around my stories and new projects.

https://www.facebook.com/bennyjuderoad/?ref=aymt_homepage_panel is the new Facebook page. Please follow.

99 Problems belong to Jay Z.

Story and characters belongs to me.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


If you’re having girl problems I feel bad for you, son

I’ve got 99 problems but a bitch ain’t one

99 problems

~Jay Z

 

 

99 Problems

 

The death of Michael Alexander Reed was a clear indicator that Underwood Jackson was the last of his generation. A generation of men who lived by a certain code of honor, loyalty, and vows.

The lack of such men like himself and his old friend was prevalent in the younger generation. They were too prideful of accomplishments that were not of their own. They were envious of others instead of creating a strong coalition amongst themselves. If that didn't put them at a disadvantage; they were also materialistic and foolhardy of the now instead of thinking about the future. They had no structure or care for the legacy that was built for future generations.

However, he could see some hope in this generation that was coming after him especially in the form of Malcolm Harris and James Wong.

They were more daring then his generation, but critical of their actions—they were not reckless without thinking.

Than there was Armani—the definition of this generation of loose honor and no code of conduct.

Armani Epps, was the son of his old friend Eric “Mark-man” Epps who was famous for his outburst of rage and reckless behavior—a trait that was inherited from the father to son. When Eric passed, Underwood took it upon himself to look after Armani in the hopes that he would take over his position when he was no longer here.

Those thoughts slowly diminished by Armani’s actions that made him question his choice in him and started to pay closer attention elsewhere.

.           .           .

 

Something was off with Armani; his actions were unstable and his moods were changing more rapidly then usual. Many of the men in his crew was writing it off to the robbery and the theft of his money. However, Malcolm believed there was something more to this robbery that Armani was keeping very silent about.

His actions were not of a man who was angry—hell he could deal with that. No, Armani actions were that of fear. There was only one person to go to when shit didn’t make sense…Underwood.

Being the head of the family this meant that he should be made aware of Armani’s suspicious actions—especially if it had to do with the other families.

It was through Malcolm that Underwood was kept well informed of Armani’s actions and such volatile moods that he has been displaying for the past weeks that needed to be address.

Walking into Avery’s Kitchen he moved towards the booth that Underwood always sat at during lunch.

“Afternoon, boss,” he said waiting for the signal to take a seat.

“Malcolm—sit,” watching as the young man took a seat before him.

“Did you give James my message?”

“Yes sir, he understands the position he’ll be in if something happens to Michael Reeds daughter. I’m also having some of my boys look into the where about of Katherine Reeds as we speak.”

“Good…that cold-hearted bitch would have never done what she did if Michael was alive.”

Malcolm simply shook his head—he would never be immune to how people allow greed to sellout their own family members.

“As I've said sir, if you want that to be handle I have--”

“Stop that thought right there—I already have plans to have a little sit down with James Wong on that situation.”

He nodded his head in understanding.

“When you call there was some urgency in your voice?”

“Armani is acting more—unpredictable these past weeks I think he's hiding something.”

“What do you mean?”

“I think there was more to that robbery then he's letting on.”

Underwood was silent brewing over what was told to him, “Does this have anything to do with him putting one of his men in the hospital?”

“Absolutely, whatever he's done is far beyond him now—that it’s only right for him to come to you.”

“Thank you Malcolm.”

Malcolm nodded his head, standing, however before he had turned his back Underwood spoke once more.

“Malcolm keep a close watch on him.”

“Always boss.”

.           .           .          

 

Roxanne had run on one singular notion that day of the confrontation—establishing dominance. She wasn’t oblivious to the situation that James painted for her. She noticed his detachment for some time.

Coming to her when his thirst needed to be quenched and even in the act itself she could feel that in her place he had imagined someone else.

To be honest she couldn’t careless as to whom James was fucking—there relationship was based on a mutual understanding of the others position. James needed a woman to look good on his arm in public and she needed a man with power.

Love had nothing to do with it.

It was as simple as that.

The presence of Jacqueline in his home and the role that was designated to her was no surprise to Roxanne. She would prefer that another woman handle the intimate aspects than herself.  So when James told her about this new addition—she had no desire to meet someone that was irreplaceable or of less significance.

However, her thoughts had turned the night of the benefit. She had found amusement by his pets’ sudden outburst waiting to see how James was going to handle it. To her shock he didn’t react at all—matter of fact it seems the outburst didn’t bother him. The only reaction she got from him that night was when she dared to mention her.

His response was all the confirmation for her to pay a trip to see Jacqueline. She had to make sure that his little pet understood the established order and where she stood on the chain of importance.

Jealousy was not her motive for seeing the woman, but to squash any potential threat to her future plans. What she didn’t expect was the atomic bomb that was dropped by that tramp…James had given her cast off items.

She was never meant to go with him that night at the benefit—an event that she had always accompanied him throughout their relationship.

The only one who can change the roles is James and his making your new role very clear.”

She didn’t want to believe that he was going to replace her—she had put too much in this relationship for it to be snatched away from her. For once she didn’t feel secure and it was quite frightening to her.

Of course her fears seemed to intensify since James had yet to confront her. She had expected Ace to snitch on her to James—since the bastard held a strong dislike for her and would have found pleasure in the conflict between James and herself.

As the days passed by, James had said not one word to her about the incident at his home; he had ignored the subject completely.

That still didn’t ease the tension that she was feeling tonight. They partook in their dinner in a silent affair, which only ate at her nerves as the minutes passed between them.

The clearing of his voice brought her back to the reality of this moment—not to seem unnerved she took a sip of her wine.

She nearly chokes when she felt his hand engulfed her left hand—his hand was warm and soft. He held her hand as though it was glass caressing her flesh, which was so uncharacteristic of him. James was never one for PDA or any type of affection. However, there were moments when he did feel to show some type of warmth to clash with his cold personality.

She had the wildest notion that he was going to propose. Dutifully, she began to mentally prepare the perfect ‘surprised’ expression. However, James next words crushed and burned that hope.

“I’ve been told the most disappointing thing about you. I don’t doubt that you know what I’m referring to.” He stared at her intensely.

Roxanne swallowed; subtly her mind spinning different lies to help her escape her predicament.

She came up blank, there was no deceiving a man like James with petty lies.

Her answer must have reflected in her eyes because he continued.

“Now due to the span of our relationship I will give you 60 seconds to explain why you disobeyed me and snuck behind my back like a small child stealing candy.”

His slight insult stung more than she assumed—intended.

Again, she searched her mind diligently for a lie—anything, but the truth her small hand shook within his grip.

His soft touch almost seeming like a threat within itself.

She wanted desperately to pull away, but knew that it would put her in a worse position than she was in.

She watched as he lifted an expectant brow. “The truth takes longer than a few seconds to be admitted.”

A statement thrown out carelessly—but said by one as intelligent as James always hit its mark accurately. Translation, she was running out of time and he knew that she was thinking up a lie.

“I-I-I—” she took a deep breath reconnecting her eyes with his. “I merely wanted to speak with her—get to know her.”

Seconds ticked by.

The explanation was ludicrous.

James sighed almost sadly. “Lying does nothing for you Roxanne.”

“I’m not—”

Before she could finish the statement she was thrown a look that immediately silenced her.

“Roxanne, you have nothing to worry about. We have an established agreement that I’ve not deviated from.”

She breathed a sigh of relief.

Maybe she should have waited until he finished before she allowed herself to breath.

James was always unpredictable.

He didn’t disappoint.

“However—” he said pointedly squeezing her hand a bit.

He put enough pressure on her palm to sent her heart pounding in her chest.

She felt tears prick slightly at the corner of her eyes as dangerous eyes stared back at her. “…such an agreement can easily be discarded by myself in result to your actions. Do you understand?” The question was rhetorical.

She wasn’t asked if she understood, but expected to.

“Disobeying me, sneaking around, and acting like a hysterical and territorial degenerate is not the way to keep yourself secure.”

She felt absolutely and completely reprimanded and berated.

“I’m sorry,” her whispered apology and defeated appearance did not quell his irritation and anger at her actions. “My actions have been foolish and ignorant. It will not happen again James.”

Finally, she lifted her head again to meet his eyes slightly ashamed when she felt a tear slid down the side of her face.

He gazed at her for a few more minutes before casting his eyes away and requesting the check for their meal. She felt his hand slid from her now sweaty and clammy ones.

“Wipe your eyes Roxanne, lets not allow such a sour discussion ruin the night.”

 

.           .           .           .           .

 

James was never a person to share his personal space with anyone—his bedroom was his sanctuary a place for him to rejuvenate and meditate. However, since that night, Jacqueline and him slept together in his room—he couldn’t see her anywhere but there—in his bed and in his arms.

Nights of congress between them were always pleasurable and refreshing to his spirit especially with a partner like Jacqueline. The nights when they did not partake in congress were way more—spiritual.

To have her in his arms brought some sense of—peace.

Peace…something a man like himself could never truly obtain, and yet…when she slept soundly in his arms he felt as though all the troubles seem to disperse and everything was set to right.

He couldn’t find the words to better expresses these foreign emotions within—or acknowledge that diminutive voice in the recessive of his mind that held the answer. They’re relationship—that line he had so willingly established at the beginning was becoming blurrier.

However, his peace was soon broken.

His second in command and most trusted friend approached him with a grim face. A battle seemed to play across his face for a mere second.

Ace knew that his boss and leader had little patience for nonsense so he quickly made a decision.

“Ace.”

The singular word spoken demanded the answer to an unsaid question. He could neither lie to his leader nor could he keep secrets from his friend—no matter how much he liked their newest addition.

“There’s something I believe you will like to see,” Ace’s voice was even giving away nothing. Once a valued quality from his second in command now at this moment an annoyance.

James merely wanted to lay in his bed with Jaqueline in his arms.

“I’ll deal with it tomorrow,” the statement should have been the end of the discussion.

Despite this known fact Ace had yet to step aside James eyes narrowed slightly.

He was not happy.

First Roxanne disobeying his orders and trying to lie to his face.

Now, Ace, his most trusted was disobeying his subtle order that any other day would have been followed automatically.

James didn’t know what was going on with his associates but it will be rectified.

“Was I unclear?” he questions, eyeing a suddenly nervous Ace.

“No sir…I think you need to see this before you head to see Jaqueline. It’s something I feel you should know.”

This instantly piqued his interest.

“Proceed.”

With that Ace soon led him to the garage.

Immediate paranoia slipped into his mind at the closed off and darkened location. Nonetheless, he knew that Ace would never be stupid enough to double cross him.

It was a death wish—plain and simple.

At last, Ace stopped in front of a lone box; the box itself was a standard brown medium sized cardboard container.

It could have been easily dismissed as something that needed to be thrown away.

He probably overlooked it countless times.

He was a man who never allowed his nerves to get to him.

When facing dire situations, he was well known for keeping his composure and thinking of a reasonable explanation.

Thus at that moment a million different scenarios of what could be in the box came to him.

The contents of the box could have been many things; a bomb, recording device, a bug, or a body part of a loved one.

James was ready for all of those things. He’s dealt with them in the past and was no novice to such things.

A man like himself didn’t get to where he was without overcoming a few challenges.

However, the truth never gave us what we wanted; it was never something that was expected, but reality, showing us a thing or two.

Teaching us, that whatever we thought could always be outdone it reminded us that we could neither expect nor predict every situation.

No man was God, but imperfect creatures that were never above simple emotion.

As a result of this fact, James was not only shocked, but speechless at what he found in the box when he flipped it open.

The contents so innocent to anyone else except the two men in the room.

Three pieces of brilliant jewelry lay within the bland looking box its expensive extravagance seemed unfit to be in such a sad container.

The items deserved to be laying against the mocha skin of the creature that were given the items.

Kneeling down almost in a trance James picked up the first item a ten carat tennis bracelet of teardrop diamonds. The second item was a twenty carat necklace made of a rich amber topaz—Jaqueline’s birth stone combined within its design. The last item something that he’s given her mere days ago was a rose gold necklace with a rose pendent.

Each item being something that was intricately picked out for Jaqueline by him—an action he would never have done for anyone else.

The fact was neither lost to him as to why he found the items in a box (in the garage) nor Ace which explained his earlier nervousness and grim expression.

In the simplest of words, it showed an extremely disregard to him—it spoke of an uncaring and nefarious thought process that was dishonoring to James.

In that moment he felt humiliated.

Despite only one other man in the room who would speak not a word of the situation it was an embarrassment.

His fist tightened around the beautiful jewelry that lay within his hand. The diamond of her bracelet cutting into his palm.

James in that moment felt many things; humiliated, disrespected, slighted, hurt, and very angry.

Slowly, eye lids slid over his burring eyes, it was not easy to rein in his emotions as it usually was. He was bumbling over the rim of his patience.

In that moment he could kill, maim, destroy, and annulated.

Air hissed from between his teeth as he fought the battle against his emotions. Finally, after minutes of silence he stood.

His eyes opened and once again Ace saw the eyes of the man who built his empire from nothing.

A man who could kill without hesitation, but his eyes held a new coldness in them, a look of betrayal.

“Ace, I am sure that you can handle the contents within this box in a tactful way. Your discretion is appreciated.”

Ace nodded instantly picking up the box and heading into the house.

 

.           .           .           .           .           .           .          

 

Everything was calm between them—in truth, James and her were not at odds with each other. However, Jacqueline was confused to where this relationship stands. The lines that he had made in the beginning was becoming blurred each day making Jacqueline blind to the situation they were in.

The perfect example was her presence in his room.

James was a man that spoke in coded words and actions; however, some things was quite simple with him. He was a man that like his space and in James case it was his room.

In the pass he would come into her room—it was never her in his, but until that night something changes.

He wanted her in his space—there were nights when they meet in congress that were refreshing to her soul. Than there were nights were he simply held her in his arms—those were the nights she felt her most vulnerable. She felt in the simplest of words…safe.

She didn’t have to carry her burden by herself any longer, because the arms that wrapped around her so tightly and tenderly took the burden from her. These emotions she was feeling was all so raw and new to her.

Although, her mind was telling her the name of these emotions she was feeling towards James. That all familiar stubborn spirit refuse to acknowledge it—let’s add the important fact that Roxanne was in the picture and that James emotional indifference was always giving her whiplash.

A bang echoed within the room wrenching her from her thoughts back to the reality that she was now found. The sight before her was not what she expected.

The manner before him was not what she was accustom too—the only time she had seen him this calm was the incident between them. However, she couldn’t help but noticed where his eyes where landed.

The sight before her sent a chill through her soul. There before her was a plastic bag filled with the jewelry that James had bought her.

There was a silence between them.

There eyes on the elephant in the room, while emotions were brewing within the room between them.

“Care to explain?” his voice held an edge to it.

She felt a tightening within her.

“What’s to explain,” her voice is equally on edge, “I put it up for you to give to your girlfriend.”

His anger was smothering ready to exploded within him. The cool disregard of her statement was a knife that was driven countlessly within him. She was clearly lying to his face and had all the juncture to look him clear in the eyes to do so.

“Cut the bullshit and tell me the truth…” his voice becoming cooler by the second.

She stared at him in disbelief—he knew the answer to why she didn’t want these unsolicited gifts. She looked at him with fire within her heart and the anger took over her senses.

“Is that I refuse to be your whore! I’m not going to accept any type of payment—gifts or otherwise.”

His anger surged within him and like a viper he attacked.

“Whore? So this is a pride issue—have you’ve been so mentally fucked by your mother that you question people’s action?”

Angry tears clouded her eyes.

Her silence irritated him further and it drove him to another level of anger. Jacqueline had not noticed the hammer that was in his hand until the crashing sound fall upon the zip-lock bag. Each blow made her jump; however, the frustration was obliviously in the hit. The once beautiful jewelry was simply ruined completely.

He threw the hammer against the counter—his breathing was labored as he moved closer to her.

“If I wanted to make you a whore I could have. I never did anything to make you feel as though you were a whore—between my girlfriend and you—I do more for you than I do for her.”

He moved closer to her, “But maybe I should change my approach on how to treat you.”












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.