Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Another one shot because I seem to be on a roll

Thanks to everyone who reviewed Algebra & Crosshatching, I know Rena isnt the most likable character in the world. She wasnt meant to be.

Also... seeking a beta? Just a little help with editing and some plot issues on a multi chap fic I've started. Get at me if you're down.

Thank you for reading

rox photo rox_zps3e482d8a.jpgjason photo jason_zps4a002bfb.jpg




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

"Rox get up!" Jason bangs on the door so loud that despite her neighbors being miles away, he's sure they can hear him.

"What the hell Jason? It's 6am!" The sun is barely up and she's trying to figure out what she's being punished for.

"I know, I know. I wanted to get here sooner but my truck was acting up"

"Sooner? There's a such thing as sooner than 6am?"

"Come on we gotta get an early start"

"Early start on what?" He's already pulled her outside into the early morning chill. "Dude I'm not even dressed" He glances down at her small t-shirt and basketball shorts.

"Right. Sorry." He clears his throat. "Go get dressed"

"Where are we going?"

"The park" Roxie leaves for Florida tomorrow and Jason has decided she would leave with new memories. Good memories of him and this place. So when the kids on campus ask about where she's from, a bright smile will appear and she won't be able to stop talking about him.

He's known Roxie his entire life. They had sleepovers when they were little, made mud pies and played house. They were friends. Freshman year Jason noticed something. He noticed that Roxie was kinda beautiful. He found himself inventing excuses to see her. He would come over to cut the grass so Roxie would bring him lemonade. He would fix the creaky 2x4 in the middle of the porch. When she got her first car he taught her how to change the oil. Anything just to be close to her.

He's not exactly sure why he hasn't told Roxie how he feels about her. How sometimes when she's talking he finds himself in a trace. The way she smiles and her arms flail excitedly. How when you're talking to her you have all of her attention and she can repeat word for word what you just told her. He hasn't told her that sometimes he wants to kiss her and stroke her cheek. He's partly worried she'll find it weird. That he shouldn't be thinking these things because they've know each other so long that they're practically family. That fact doesn't stop him from wondering what it would be like to feel her lips against his.

He knows Roxie is going to leave this shitty little town and go do big things and he's ok with that. But he doesn't want her to forget about him. Because he damn sure won't forget about her.

*

"This place isn't gonna be here next summer. Everything is changing" He mumbles as they walk past the old hot dog stand that's been around since they were kids.

"That's what happens" Rox kicks at pebbles as she walks.

"It seems so sudden."

"Its been years"

"Guess I just wasn't ready for it" He loops his arm around her waist as they stroll along.

*

"You gonna write me when you're gone?" He takes her hand as they stroll through the park.

"You mean text you? Yeah" He's pleasantly surprised when she squeezes his hand and smiles at him.

"No I mean write. Like, handwritten letters"

"Why would I do that?"

"Because it's cute. It's nostalgic"

"It also will take 4 business days to get to you. Why can't I e-mail you?"

"You know I'm not good with computers" True.

"Ok Jason. I'll write you."

*

Jason sways on the swing sharing french fries Roxie. This summer ended so soon, he thought he had more time. Looking back he feels like he wasted it. He had weeks to hog Roxie all to himself but he kept putting it off. Always thinking there was a tomorrow. In his mind she couldn't leave without a proper goodbye. Never being able to man up and accept that she was going to leave no matter what he did.

"I'm going to miss this" She says softly.

"Me too" He says as he offers her the last fry.

*

"Remember that time you got stuck up here?" They sat on top of the monkey bars swinging their feet.

"It was terrifying" Jason admits.

"I told you to just jump."

"I did and I broke my arm."

"I sprinted two miles to go get your mom"

"Mom still blames you for that" Jason wonders if those memories will fade while she's away.

*

Roxie is sitting under the tree with him and Jason is staring. Not purposely. It's hard not to when her lips are pouted and she's focusing intensely on the dandelion in her hand. He's not sure what's so great about the flower that deserves all of her attention but he might be a tad bit jealous.

"You're staring at me" She doesn't look up from her flower.

"Yeah" He smirks. "I always do"

"I might miss that a little bit"

*

"Your little sister is gonna be lonely without you"

"She'll be ok. You'll be around." Riley was like his own little sister. He'd do anything for her.

"Will you take the training wheels off her bike?"

"Soon as she's ready."

"Thanks"

*

"Do you think you'll move back here after you graduate?" They lay in the grass staring up at the colorful kites floating in the sky.

"No" It was a firm no. Jason turned on his side and propped himself up on an elbow.

"No?"

"I'll visit. But I won't move."

"Oh" He lays back on his back trying not to think about how this could be the last time they do this.

"Are you going to stay here?"

"Probably. My family, the family business. I'll probably die here" He shrugs. Some people just aren't meant to go out in the world. And that's ok.

"Will you come visit me?" She props herself up on an elbow leaning over him.

"If you want me to"

"I do" A firm nod.

"I will" Jason smiles up at her.

*

"I don't know why my mom never let me jump on one of these" Roxie bounced on the trampoline with her arms in the air.

"It's dangerous and you're clumsy" He huffs out. Rox just smiles and bounces higher. He hopes she never stops smiling, even if he's not the one to make her smile.

*

He hopes this moment will stick with her. Chasing her across the field. The smile that lights up her face when he finally catches her and they fall to the ground. He hopes she'll remember picking blades of grass out of his hair as he lies on top of her. He wants her to keep the memories of them climbing trees and their quiet conversations about nothing. He wants Roxie to know that they can do this whenever she wants, whenever she needs this quiet calm with him, she can have it.

*

"Think they have places like this in Florida?" She asks as they sit on the pebbles by the stream.

"No" There's no place like this. No place where they can be together this way.

"Good"

*

"I always knew you would do great things Rox" He moves in closer to her on the park bench.

"I'm not doing anything great" She laughs and rests her head on his shoulder.

"You're not letting anything hold you back." A big hand slides through her hair as he leans in. "So fearless. That's great." He whispers so closely his stubble tickles her cheek.

*

"Are you gonna miss this?" They lay in the truck bed once again staring up at the sky.

"Miss what?" Rox throws her arm over his chest and Jason tucks her in against his side.

"The fields, the stars. You know you can't see the stars in the city." His hands lazily rub her arms.

"Maybe a little bit. But I will always come back here when I want the stars." The fact that she had plans to come back even if only for a night put a little smile on his face.

*

"Is your truck always gonna wake everyone within a five mile radius?"

"Let's ‘em know I'm coming. I can drive you to the airport in the morning. Wake up the whole city."

"Mom is taking me. Thanks though."

"What if I asked you to stay?"

"What?"

"Not forever. But for a while"

"Jason I've been here for a while already"

"I know. You're right."

"Why would you want me to stay?"

"I'm just not ready for you to go"

*

Jasons not sure he should do this. But it's his last chance and he'll hate himself forever if he doesn't show her. He gets up and crosses the porch to wrap his arms around her. She doesn't seem surprised by his warm presence behind her.

"You're not gonna forget me right?" He whispers.

"Never Jason" He hopes with everything in him that she means it.

Jason tucks his face in her neck and accepts that this will be the last time.

"Roxie" he murmurs in her ear.

"Hmmm..." She hums. When he pulls back from her instead of responding she turns to face him. Jason is staring again. A hopeless and sad love-struck look. Rox runs her fingers through his thick curly hair and Jason practically purrs. He dips in carefully and kisses her lips gently. He's not sure how he's made it this far in life without the feeling of her lips pressed to his. Her fingers in his hair and her body pressed against his. She's kissing him back softly and Jason is happy with this. Sweet kisses and small smiles he thinks he could have had this sooner.

Roxie kisses his lips before moving on to his cheek and nose and eyelids. Jason stands still, eyes closed letting out shaky breaths as her kisses linger on his skin. When he opens his eyes she's looking at him. Really looking at him with her brow furrowed and her mouth a frown. He doesn't say anything just lets her look and touch his face with her fingertips. When she's finished, satisfied with her assessment she kisses him deeply. Hands falling to knead his back and tongue making a home in his mouth. Jason is just trying to keep up. Her kisses are tender, filled with so much compassion it chokes him up. He's happy.

*

"Hey, none of that" Roxies eyes are watering and he needs her to keep it together for his own sake. He wraps his arms around her and lets her nuzzle at his neck. She doesn't cry and he doesn't expect her to. She just holds him tightly.

He wishes he could make the day longer. Keep her with him for a few more hours. Until the very last second. But it's late, Roxie is yawning and he should get her home.

"Are you going to remember this?" he asks as they sit on her porch dreading this end.

"Couldn't forget it if I tried" she smiles sadly looking out at his truck.

"Good."

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.