Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This is my first post on The Chamber. This story has been wasting time in my computer's memory banks for quite a while, now. Please let me know what you think, so that I will know whether or not that's where it belongs.

This work, Amended Hearts, is copyrighted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988. This includes all chapters, prologues/epilogues and associated content (i.e fanfics, teasers and content within blogs, social networks and eReaders). Any unauthorised copying, broadcasting, manipulation, distribution or selling of this work constitutes as an infringement of copyright. Any infringement of this copyright is punishable by law. Any associated links, videos or photographs are not the property of the author, and no assertion of copyright or ownership is made or intended.



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter One: When Our Eyes First Meet…


Gabriel Cortez closed the garage door using his remote control, and opened the car door. He was tired after a long trip home, and wanted nothing more than some food, a hot shower and a warm bed. He opened the door to his laundry room, and walked into the kitchen. An envelope on the fridge displayed his name along with a note that advised, “Read on a full stomach.”

“Probably from Francis,” he mumbled to himself, thinking of the size of her last bill. Then he took out some juice, popped open the seal and drank from the carton. Let’s see what we have here. He saw a plate covered in aluminum foil and smiled in anticipation. Francis Merrin, his motherly cleaning lady, sometimes left him a plate. She said that his bachelor bones could use some home cooking. He warmed the plate up in the microwave, and soon his senses were assaulted with the smells of herb roasted chicken, wild rice and steamed vegetables.

While the plate warmed, he played back the messages on his machine, first hearing the one from Aaliyah Wyndham that he’d listened to before boarding yet another plane five days ago. She asked him to call her. “I wish that woman would just go away,” he said aloud.

Being a handsome, successful bachelor, it came with the territory that women sometimes chased him. Aaliyah Wyndham, with her fussy suits, long skirts, and baggy sweats had no sense of fashion. Further, her glasses were chunky looking, and her hair was always in a bun or a ponytail. She did, however have nice skin, and a sweet smile. She’d flashed it at him a few times across the hedges when she first moved in. It had made him feel warm and welcomed as she waved a friendly hello. However, he’d rightly gauged the interest in her eyes and, not wanting to lead her on, he maintained his reserve, saying as little as possible before going into the house. She’d tried a few more times, first appearing puzzled by his odd behavior then hurt, once she saw him flirting on the sidewalk with a neighborhood hottie. Hey, he was only a guy. What else would he do while an attractive woman jogged in place while wearing a skimpy sports bra?

Since then, she’d given him only her politely social smile, with no teeth visible, and inclined her head to one side to acknowledge his presence. He wasn’t sure why, but from that moment on he’d been perversely tempted to make that smile come out again, the one that shone from her eyes as well as her lips. That was the reason he hadn’t called her back when he checked his machine over the phone from Europe. She was probably checking up on the party invitation he’d received in the mail shortly before his departure. Something about a party at her place. Thinking about it, he realized that it was tonight. Well, that explained all the cars lining the street.

He took the plate out of the microwave and ate the first bite as he finished his messages. There was one from his assistant. He juggled his hot plate and grabbed a pen to write it down. First she stated his instructions about not mentioning anything that was unsettling, but didn’t require his personal attention, while he was on the trip. The police? Here? He looked around his house. She said it had something to do with his next-door neighbor and the serial rapist. He looked at the plate in his hand, and his stomach was suddenly filled with dread. What if she’d been hurt? The man was violent. For all he knew, the people next door might be there for her wake. He had to see her, now.

Forgetting all about the note he ran out the front door, hurdled over the hedge and made it to the front of her house in record time. As he reached the front porch, he heard music and laughter. Well, obviously she was okay. He felt foolish, thinking about how his sprint across the lawn must have looked. He barely knew the woman, after all. He’d made sure of that. Besides, he was still dressed in dark jeans and a sweater. He hadn’t even removed his leather jacket yet.

Just as he was about to turn around, the door opened. Another man stood there, dressed similarly. “Hey, I’m Derrick. You must be here for the party.”

“Yes,” was all he could think to say. Then, seeing a puzzled look cross his face, “Oh, I’m Gabriel. Gabriel Cortez. I live next door.”

He came out and closed the door behind him. “You must have just gotten back. We’ve been waiting for you to call or come by so we could tell you all about what happened. This probably isn’t the best time, but I’m sure the note explained most of it.”

“Yes, yes of course.” The note! He should have read the thing after all. “Is Aaliyah okay?”

“Yes, she’s fine, but I don’t have to tell you that she’s a little jumpy. You must feel that way also, knowing some stranger was basically staying in your house. Sorry if we compounded that feeling by having the cleaning service come in, but we couldn‘t just leave that mess for you to find when you returned. Francis Merrin was a lot of help, too. By the way, I hope that you enjoyed your dinner. I like cooking a good meal. It always relaxes me when I‘m thinking about a new design.” Then, “Anyway, I’ve got to get going. My girlfriend noticed that we’re running low on ice, and the caterer has his hands full with the number of extra guests who showed up. Go on in and have a good time. You deserve it after all this.”

“Thanks, I will,” Gabriel replied automatically. Inside, he was still stunned. The rapist had been in his house? And what was all this we stuff, anyway? Who was Derrick to Aaliyah? He hadn’t been living here when Gabriel left town, he would have noticed. He stopped himself short. He had no right to speculate about her personal life. They weren’t even friends. She was just a woman he nodded to as he picked up his paper in the morning.

He knocked but, after receiving no response, tried the knob. It was open, so he went inside. Wow! The soundproofing on this house must be incredible. He was startled by the cacophony of voices and background music that emerged from a doorway on the right wall of the foyer. People from the neighborhood were everywhere. They milled about the curved staircase in the foyer with the mahogany banister. As he walked around, he saw retirees playing chess with kids at tables set up in what appeared to be a family room. Teenagers and college kids lounged about eating pizza in an entertainment room, watching a movie that just left the theaters on a huge flat screen television. When he glanced into the doorway where the majority of people were located, he saw everything from adults in their early twenties to retirees enjoying good conversation as they ate from a large buffet and sipped their drinks. Well, at least everyone was reasonably casual. He didn’t stand out too noticeably.

He walked inside, noticing that a number of the people there bore a striking resemblance to Derrick. They must have strong genes in his family. If his family was here, might this be something more than a simple party? They might be getting engaged. He struggled; trying to remember what was written on the invitation he’d automatically tossed into the garbage.

He grabbed a soda from a passing waiter. Where was Aaliyah, anyway? He refused to acknowledge that he’d wanted her to “go away” less than an hour ago. He just needed to see her, to know for himself that she was okay. Then, he could go home.

That’s when he saw her. It was like something out of one of those stupid chick flicks. His eyes had rested unconsciously on one group in particular, and one lady shifted to the left revealing the most striking woman he’d ever seen. He didn’t mean just beautiful, though she was that. She was…arresting. Her skin was so smooth and chocolaty brown. It looked so delicate that he thought it might snag if he touched it, and he wanted to touch it. Her cheekbones were high, her eyes large and expressive, and her smile…. He didn’t know that a smile could contain such warmth and joy. Her hair was cut into a bob that barely skimmed the bottom of her jaw. Long silver earrings dangled from her ears, drawing his eye down to her throat revealed by the V-shaped neckline of her wraparound blouse. It was dark orange in color, with long full sleeves, and seemed to skim her figure, hugging various parts of her curvy body lovingly as she turned this way or that. Her black pants flowed down long legs to brush the tops of her heels.

Her eyes skimmed past him, then back, capturing his gaze. This was his chance, so he smiled a slow, sexy smile. She looked a little startled, then smiled back. Just then one of the neighbors said something to her, forcing her to turn her eyes back to her right. Her gaze darted back just once, letting him know that he wasn’t forgotten. That was enough for him. He took a step in that direction before someone near the custom built shelving on the wall began tapping on a glass.

He looked up, surprised to see that the teenagers now commanded the front of the room. He looked back toward the group, only to see that the woman was nowhere to be found. Frustration seethed inside. Did they have to choose this moment to make an announcement?

Some man who looked to be barely into his twenties, with hair in a shade of red that was definitely not found in nature, and various piercings held the floor. “First of all, I just want to say that the Wyndhams know how to throw a party!” He paused, as the crowd gave their vocal appreciation. “On a more serious note, I also want to make sure that we recognize the importance of this occasion. I know that we’ve already done the cake and candles thing, but I have to say that not only has Kitty Wyndham been blessed with another year, but we’ve all been blessed to continue to have her in our lives.”

A chorus of “Aw’s” and “Here, here’s!” ensued until he raised his hands for quiet.

Gabriel was still wondering who this Kitty was. The only Wyndham who lived on this street was Aaliyah.

“Now, everybody knows that she wrote the grants to keep our community center alive. However, we’re going to tell you all a little secret that we’ve been holding back. One of the best students in my Hip Hop class at the rec. center is none other than Kitty Wyndham.” Then, when the incredulous remarks were over, he smiled wickedly, “She started for the cardio and stayed for the love. So, without further ado, we’d like say happy birthday to Kitty Kat our way. Hit it, Cassie!” he said, nodding to a girl about his age, standing near the sound system that controlled the speaker system.

The kids started gesturing for everyone else to clear a space and pulled a reluctant Kitty onto the floor. It was the same woman he’d flirted with earlier. Suddenly, the familiar, driving beats of Fifty Cent’s “In The Club” came across the speakers, and everyone on the floor was transformed. As the artist said, “Go Shawty! It’s your birthday! We’re gon’ party like it’s your birthday,” everyone, including Kitty, began to dance. Kitty seemed to be competing against the redheaded boy. He was wild and uncontrolled, while she was all leashed passion and precision.

Before the song was half over they began pulling others onto the floor. As he jockeyed for position, trying to get closer to Kitty, Gabriel noticed that he wasn’t the only man trying to do the same, and not all of them were single. Suddenly, he wondered what he thought he could do when he got to her. He was too old for clubs, and he had certainly never considered taking a class that meant making a fool out of himself in front of a bunch of kids half his age. He hesitated but, following her smile, saw Lucas Delessandro closing in and he just couldn’t let it go. Gabriel reached out and caught her hand. Her head whipped around.

“My dance, I believe?”

“Okay,” she smiled, hearing the music change to a funky salsa beat. “Let’s see what you’ve got.”

What he had was Salsa. Thankfully, she was also familiar with it. As he spun her around and brought her in close, she felt a breathless sense of wonder. What could have brought about this sudden change? This couldn’t be the same cold-eyed stranger, who had ignored her friendly overtures, only to smile and flirt with a man-eater like Candace Manning. It just wasn’t possible. Yet, it was happening.

At the end of the song, he held her bent over his arm in a rather dramatic dip. He stared at her lips with such heat that she knew he was going to kiss her, but just as his head began to descend he froze, as the applause from the other guests began to register. Apparently, they’d put on quite a show, with a ring forming around them in the crowd. Instead of the kiss she’d anticipated, Gabriel brought her up with a flourish and twirled her to his side. They both took a bow.

Now that the show was over, everyone began to drift back toward their groups and he turned to introduce himself, trying to figure out a way that he could get to know her better in this crowd, but she beat him to the punch.

“After all that dancing, I am seriously parched. Why don’t we get something to drink and find a cool place to sit down?”

He agreed, following her through the crowd until she reached the bar that had been set up in one corner.

“A bottle of your finest sparkling cider, please,” she said with a smile.

“And two glasses,” he added.

While they waited his stomach gave a growl, and he spotted a selection of food on a nearby table. Making a quick excuse, he darted over to fill a plate with several meaty hors d’eouvres, grapes, pineapple slices and strawberries. As an afterthought he drizzled chocolate over the strawberries, then grabbed a stack of napkins and turned back toward the bar. Derrick was standing there with Kitty and another woman he didn’t recognize.

When he’d rejoined them, Derrick made the introductions.

“I see that you two have already met, and this is Sophia Randall, my future wife.”

She hit him in the arm. “I told you that we haven’t been dating long enough to know that.”

“I told you that I know when it’s right. God knew what he was doing when he sent a beautiful woman like you to work that case.” She blushed.

“Flatterer.”

“And he cooks, too,” added Kitty with a teasing smile. Then, in a loud stage whisper, “Please take him off our hands. We’ve been trying to get rid of him for years.”

“All right, Kitty. Just for that, you are expelled from the family.”

“You mean, I finally get to stop admitting that we’re related?” she shot back.

“Keep it up. You know that I’m staying here, tonight.”

They all laughed at what was obviously a well-worn exchange of barbs.

In the meantime, Gabriel was experiencing the most acute sense of relief. Derrick was a Wyndham already, so Aaliyah…. Wait a minute. Why did that even matter? He was here with Kitty.

“Anyway, we’re getting off the subject,” Derrick was saying. “Sophia Randall, this is Gabriel Cortez, from next door. He’s the one you’ve wanted to talk to about the break-in.”

After accepting his invitation to call him Gabriel, she eyed the plate and the bottled cider, tactfully declaring, “Tomorrow is soon enough to talk business. You probably had a long trip back, so just enjoy yourself for now. Your assistant has my number and, if you have any other problems, Kitty knows how to get in touch with me.” With that, she steered Derrick away from the couple.

After several interruptions, they were able to make their way to a semi-private corner alcove. They were further screened from the crowd by an enormous potted plant and a decorative pillar. As he began to seat himself she said, “Don’t.” She was looking intently at the crowd, and seemed to be waiting for something.

People were looking at them with too much interest, and Aaliyah didn’t want anyone who didn’t already know the layout of the house to be able to find them easily. Mr. Chang helped by bumping into a waiter, who promptly dropped his thankfully empty silver tray. The resulting noise captured everyone’s attention, and Aaliyah immediately activated the hidden latch to open a concealed panel in the wall at the side of the alcove. She waved him through, quickly following and shutting the door quietly behind her.






Chapter End Notes:

Please don't forget to rate and review!







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.