Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This work, Amended Hearts, is copyrighted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988. This includes all chapters, prologues/epilogues and associated content (i.e fanfics, teasers and content within blogs, social networks and eReaders). Any unauthorised copying, broadcasting, manipulation, distribution or selling of this work constitutes as an infringement of copyright. Any infringement of this copyright is punishable by law. Any associated links, videos or photographs are not the property of the author, and no assertion of copyright or ownership is made or intended.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter Five: When Even Our Best Intentions…

Aaliyah looked up from the folder in front of her, surprised to see the door opening. Brad, Naomi’s assistant, walked in with an apologetic look on his face and handed a note to Naomi. They were in a meeting with their new client Shaun Everett, and it was highly unusual for anyone to interrupt.

“Excuse me,” Naomi said, reading the note. Then, “It’s for you.” She handed it to Aaliyah with a puzzled frown.

Aaliyah read the note. Managing partner Richard Sanders requested that she come to his office immediately. That was strange. All new attorneys were required to work a four-month rotation with each partner before settling into their specialty, so that they would have an overview of the entire firm. She had barely seen Richard Sanders since her rotation with him during her first months of employment, and had no desire to revisit that time. The man was demanding, difficult and impossible to please. What could he possibly want with her now?

She looked up at Naomi in alarm.

“Well, it’s getting close to five, and I doubt that we’ll accomplish much more today if you‘re going to make the appointment with your realtor,” she was saying to Shaun. “Why don’t we pick this up tomorrow morning?”

“That shouldn’t be a problem. There are some points in these contracts I want to look at again before we move forward anyway,” he replied smoothly, standing. He shook hands with Naomi, and then turned to Aaliyah. “I’m sure we’ll find a great deal to discuss,” he said, holding her hand and her gaze longer than strictly necessary to be polite.

She must have said something in reply, because the next thing Aaliyah knew Naomi was walking Shaun to the elevator while she was en route to the opposite end of the building, a sense of foreboding warning her that she would not like what she found there.

* * *

“Ms. Wyndham, how are you today?” Richard Sanders asked, rising from his chair and coming around the desk.

“I’m fine,” she stated simply. Now, she knew that something was wrong. This was the first time that Colonel Sanders, as all the junior attorneys called him behind his back, had bothered to stand up for her. “How are you, Mr. Sanders?”

“Ms. Wyndham please, call me Richard.”

“Aaliyah,” she replied. “Strike two,” she thought to herself. Nobody called Colonel
Sanders by his first name.

“Have a seat,” he offered, waving her into one visitor’s chair as he sat in the other, facing her. Then, “How have you been? Is everything working out in the Entertainment Division?”

“Yes, I really like it there. Ms. Alvarez is a knowledgeable attorney and a very capable leader. I’ve learned a great deal working with her,” she replied with the stiff formality she knew that he preferred.

“I’m glad to hear it. I understand that one of her friends in the music field, Lucas Delessandro, originally recommended you for the position.”

“Yes,” she agreed cautiously.

“I must admit that for that reason I had little respect for your abilities when you began working here.”

Aaliyah remained silent, unsure how she should address that observation, or whether he meant for her to address it at all.

“That,” he continued, “was in error. I was intentionally difficult, making far greater demands than I have ever done with any new attorney. Please…” he held up a hand as if to ward off a denial that she had no intention of making.

If his ego forced him to believe that she appreciated this confession, he was sadly mistaken. She had heard about his so-called noble gestures toward subordinates. There was always an ulterior motive, and even as she nodded with what she hoped was a serious expression on her face, she waited for him to reveal the real reason she’d been called into his office.

“I have to admit that to my surprise, you not only met my expectations, but quite often exceeded them.” He stopped, awkwardly clearing his throat.

“Thank you,” she replied.

He smiled in acknowledgement, and she knew that the purpose of that little pause was to give her time to make the appropriate response.

“Well, given our somewhat awkward beginning, I quite understand your initial decision against working in this division, but I want you to know that you are free to join our team should you ever see fit to do so.

“Thank you, I’m quite happy where I am for now,” she replied hastily. “Of course,” she said, trying to display both tact and loyalty to the firm, while concealing her horror at the thought of working for this man forever, “I would gladly help out in any team effort that required me to act in concert with the Corporate Division.”

“I’m so glad you feel that way,” he said with a smile.

“Oh no,” she thought. That’s what he’s been waiting for. That smile always reminded her of The Grinch, just before he stole all the toys.

“You see, we have a rather delicate situation on our hands.”

“Go on,” she said cautiously, nodding.

“We have been courting a certain corporation for quite some time now. Through the rumor mill, it has come to my attention that not only do you know its founder and CEO, but that he considers himself to be quite in your debt.”

“I’m not sure what you’re talking about,” Aaliyah replied with a puzzled frown.

“Cortez Enterprises,” he stated baldly.

“Gabriel Cortez?” she asked incredulously.

“Absolutely. While speaking with his attorney this afternoon, he happened to mention that he’d had a break-in. You, his next-door neighbor, took steps to ensure that his arrival home was without upheaval. Certain sources within the firm assure me that he is quite intent upon repaying your thoughtfulness in some way. Now,” he continued, “I believe that this is an opportunity for the firm to capitalize upon his congenial disposition toward you. Of course, it would also be to your advantage to have had such an integral part in landing a client of this magnitude.”

She stared, dumbfounded, until he began to rise, automatically doing the same and raising her hand to shake with him.

“I am glad that we had this opportunity to chat for I do believe,” he said, flicking his gaze down at her newly stylish form, “that your particular assistance is just what we require.”

* * *

Aaliyah blew the stray hairs off her forehead as she leaned back in the tub, attempting to relax in a hot bath. She still felt frustrated and angry, remembering the scene from Richard’s office. Ever the lawyer, he’d kept his comment about her “assistance” just short of sexual harassment. She shouldn’t be surprised. After all he oversaw the Corporate Division, which included a sector specializing in Labor and Employment Law.

She squeezed her sponge hard, trying to stop picturing that smug little sneer that was always just beneath the surface with him. When squeezing didn’t work she threw the soapy sponge at the mental image of Colonel Sanders with a shriek of annoyance only to have it smack against the wall and fall to the floor with a soft plop. She sighed, looking at the frothy mess she would now have to clean from both places.

Just then the doorbell rang, sending Lily into a frenzy of barking downstairs.

“Darn it!” She looked at the clock. “He is not supposed to be here, yet,” she muttered to herself as she got out of the tub and dried off haphazardly before shrugging into a terrycloth robe in apple green that had seen better days.

She had called Lucas from her cell phone on the way home while driving down the 277 freeway. Upon hearing his voice she immediately began venting her anger toward Richard Sanders, Gabriel Cortez and men in general.

“Calm down,” he’d said. “I don’t know which man did what to you today, but I admit it.
It is a massive conspiracy and we are all responsible,” he’d said in a voice generally reserved for communicating with unstable people. “Now please, lower your weapon.”

His absurdity had the desired effect, causing them both to laugh. He then asked her to explain.

She told him all about it, starting with Gabriel‘s reaction to her appearance this morning, then moving on to her coworkers. Next she hit upon Naomi’s advice to which he replied, “She’s got a point.

After grudgingly agreeing with him, then told him about the flirtatious client she had to face tomorrow, and about the narrowly veiled sexual harassment she’d suffered in Richard Sanders’ office. Finally, she blurted out Sophia’s plan for Gabriel, and how it had backfired because of a stupid rumor.

Finally she demanded, “What am I supposed to do now? I wish I’d never worn that outfit for my birthday.”

“You looked beautiful and besides, if you hadn’t, you wouldn’t be having an adventure right now.”
“An adventure? Is that what they call it these days? I thought it was a heart attack.”

“No, Baby Girl, you just need to relieve some stress. Now it’s about five thirty and you should be getting close to home. Take a hot bath while I go for takeout. I’ll come by around six-thirty and take you to the mat for a half hour,” he said, referring to the sparring sessions they still held on occasion. “We’ll eat, we’ll talk, you’ll take a shower and I’ll give your shoulders a good rubdown and put you to bed. Sound good?”

“It sounds very good. I’ll see you at six-thirty.” She and Lucas had begun this ritual shortly after she began entering Karate competitions during her second year. His rubdowns were anything but soothing, mostly consisting of rubbing alcohol and pain, but they were very effective for getting rid of tension and muscle aches.

Aaliyah jammed her glasses onto her face, stuffed her feet into a pair of slippers and ran down the stairs, hearing the doorbell peal for a second time. “Hang on, hang on!” she yelled over Lily’s combined barks and yelps as she leapt about in front of the door.
“Move, you mangy mutt!” she grunted, pushing the heavy dog away from the door so she could open it, while still trying to hold her back. “You’re ear-ly” she finished weakly as she looked up and found Gabriel, rather than Lucas, on her doorstep.

“I wasn’t aware that I was expected, but if now is not convenient…” he allowed his words to taper off as he brought a bouquet of blush-colored tea roses and creamy calla lilies from behind his back.

“Oh,” she said, accepting them warily and wondering how he’d happened to combine two of her favorite flowers for this peace offering.

“Truce?” he inquired, revealing that his other hand held a bottle of sparkling cider and two glasses.

Peering from behind the door, Aaliyah stared at him in disbelief. What made him think that she would let him inside her house in exchange for some flowers and cheap cider? Did he intend to remind her of their time in the conservatory on Friday? If so, he had chosen the wrong tactic because in his mind, he’d been with someone else at the time.

Just as she opened her mouth to tell him what he could do with his gifts a little voice inside warned, “Columbia is notorious for gossip. What if it gets back to Colonel Sanders?
You‘ve worked hard for this position, and the man has a reputation for ruining careers when it suits him.” Aloud she said, “Well, I guess you can come in for a minute.”

“Mmm, I hope so,” he said under his breath, taking in the sight of her long legs, visible from beneath the robe and trying desperately to keep his eyes above her neckline as he followed her into the front lounge.

“What was that?” she asked absently, patting Lily on the head as she trotted eagerly alongside.

“I said, ‘Man, I smell soap,’” he responded, thinking quickly. “I didn’t mean to get you out of your bath.”

“Don‘t worry about it. Why don’t you open that cider while I get changed?” she suggested, looking down at her robe a little ruefully.

She was just returning to the foyer when the doorbell rang, and she repeated the now familiar ritual with Lily. Of course it was Lucas, early after all.

“Take me to your kitchen. I bring an offering of takeout,” he said in a booming imitation of an alien from a 1950’s sci-fi flick. Then, “What’s with the robe? I thought you were expecting me.”
“Shh!” She said. “I was, but I got a little sidetracked. You see Gabriel came by, and he wants to declare a truce.”

“I see,” was his only reply. He saw too much. If Lucas had anything to do with it,
Gabriel was not going to date Aaliyah and then dump her once he got bored. She was going
about this all wrong but he couldn’t tell her that now, so he just went along with it.

“Well, I was really looking forward to getting in a workout. We could share our dinner,
you know, in the spirit of the truce, and go ahead once he‘s gone.”

“I guess that would be okay,” she slowly agreed, as though she sensed that something was wrong, but couldn‘t quite put her finger on it.

Because her back was turned, only Lucas had a view of the area leading toward the lounge, so he noticed when Gabriel’s shadow came stealthily closer. He smiled, suddenly hitting upon a plan. First he rubbed his elbow, where she’d bruised him during their last sparring match.

She stepped closer, touching him there.

“Did you remember to bring your protection?” she asked, speaking of the padding they generally wore.

“It’s right in here,” he replied, patting the overnight bag he wore slung over one shoulder. “Perfect,” he thought to himself.

“Well, remember that I bought a set to keep here, in case you ever forget again. I haven’t even opened the box yet, so you’ll have to see if they’re big enough.”

“I won’t forget. Not after we had to stop right in the middle of things last week. By the way, where do you want to do it this time?” They varied their sparring locations to add interest, but he was well aware that the question sounded quite different to their unsuspecting audience.

“On the floor in the great room.”

“Won’t that be a little uncomfortable?”

“No, I put the mat down, and pushed everything out of the way. There should be plenty
of room for all the moves and positions we normally use.”

“Great. You know that I‘m always ready to get you flat on your back again, but the first
thing we have to do is get you out of that robe. When are you going to get rid of that ratty old
thing anyway?” he asked, fingering the terrycloth sleeve.

“Never. I love it, because you bought it for me when I pledged my sorority, remember?”

“Not really, but then again it‘s been a few years, so if that’s the only reason you’re
hanging onto it, I’ll buy you a new one.”

“I’ll hold you to that. Now, about dinner…”

“I don‘t mind sharing. We can just do our thing after he leaves, or maybe even ask him to join in if he’s interested. Then I’ll go home and get out of your way.”

“No,” said Gabriel, showing himself at last, “I think that I am the one who is very much in the way of this…whatever it is you have going on between you.” He felt as though he’d just stepped into the middle of a Jerry Springer episode.

“You mean karate?” asked Lucas innocently.

“Karate?” he asked, stopping abruptly.

“Yes, karate,” Aaliyah laughed, realizing how their conversation must have sounded.

“I thought you two were, well,” he finished awkwardly.

“I know,” she answered with a smirk.

“Don’t worry, it’s just a little sparring,” Lucas interjected. “Then, of course, I also promised her…”

“Shut up!” she said with quiet insistence, suddenly aware of how their plans would sound to an outsider.

“…some good food, conversation, a long, hot shower and a soothing massage before I put her to bed,” He continued relentlessly, leering at the last.

Gabriel looked to Aaliyah for confirmation. The truth was written plainly across her face. He didn’t bother to say anything else, but pushed past the two to slam his way out of the house.

Aaliyah rounded on Lucas, the self-satisfied smile on his face confirming her suspicions. “You made that sound like…”

“I know what I made it sound like,” he interrupted. “You were letting him in here way too easily. Believe me, I know the man, and he’s used to easy conquests. If you don‘t set yourself apart in his mind right now, he’ll never separate you from the women in his past. Now kick me out, loudly, so that he knows I’m not staying either. I’ll call you later to explain.”

“Kick you out?” she asked.

“Kick me out,” he repeated.

“Oh, I’ll kick you out all right,” she said, coming toward him angrily.

“Ow!” he yelled as her knee connected with his torso.

He was still rubbing his stomach on the way home when he realized that he was hungry, and the takeout he’d bought earlier was still in Aaliyah’s foyer. Well, he wasn’t going back there tonight. He’d just have to pick up something else before heading home.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.