Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

My contribution to the Lonely Highways challenge.





Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Pelting rain fell from the sky and right now going back to that piece of crap car was looking mighty good to Dallas. “This is really smart Dallas…one of your best ideas yet!” He reprimanded himself as he held the lapel of his jacket against his neck. The wind picked up pushing him forward. He could see a glimmer of a light in the distance and maybe, just maybe there was a gas station up ahead. He walked less than a mile and if he weren't so caught up in his self loathing he would've noticed the rain had ceased, the wind calm.

There were no crickets chirping, no owls hooting, just empty silence. Stopping where he stood Dallas looked over his shoulder, gray eyes watchful as the trees lining the forest stood tall, formidable.

“Help…” 

His ears must’ve been tricking him. That sounded like a child. In about .3 seconds he was going hightail it back to his car and hope for the best. 

However, his feet failed him.

“Hello...somebody?”

It was a girl that much he knew. She drew nearer, closer to where he stood, unsure of what to do. She sounded hurt…lost. But what if this was a set up? He was in the middle of nowhere for goodness sake! Dallas was sure this road was beautiful during the day, but right now he was trying his damndest to avoid a serial killer. Children serial killers did exist right?

Then…crying. A sad heartbreaking cry. Wind blew from the east seeming to push him closer to her.

Clearing his throat apprehensively he yelled, “Hey, show yourself?” His voice belied his nervousness.

Leaves crunched, and twigs snapped. Soon a little girl stood before him, grass in her hair, dirt staining her clothes.

“I-I'm lost.” She hiccupped.

Dallas' brows furrowed. “How'd you get lost?” He took a tentative step careful to not scare her even though he himself felt fear tingling his spine.

“My mom…she left me. It was light then, now it’s dark. She said she'd come back but---“ she shook her head, tears spilling from her brown eyes. “She didn't.”

“What’s your name sweetie?”

“Farrah.” She answered wiping at her eyes. She appeared to be six years old if he guessed correctly.

Her lip poked out as she hugged herself. “Will you take me to my mama?”

This didn't feel like a set up. The little girls mother had abandoned her…left her for dead.

“I'll try.” he smiled.

He reached out his hand for Farrah to take. Her eyes glistened as she contemplated if she should. Grabbing ahold of his much larger hand she looked up at him.

“What’s your name?” She had a tooth missing. How cute is that, he thought to himself.

“Dallas.” 

Maybe his car breaking down wasn’t a bad thing. At least now he had a travel partner.













Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.