Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


You use to captivate me by your resonating light…now I’m bound by the life you left behind.

My Immortal

***

 

The crispy chill of the night air struck my cheek stinging my eyes with unshed tears. Pulling the drawstrings of my hoodie close trying to conceal the little heat within. I quickly struck my hands back into the front pocket of my hoodie clutching them close to my stomach as a way to warm them.

I was shaking like a person with a habit waiting to get my fix from my pusher. All the while fighting with the reasonable side that said Zenobia get your tail in the house this is simply ridiculous.

And each time the wind became strong, thumping me careless and causing a new series of quivers to take hold. I was ready to throw in the towel and rushed to the welcoming warmth that’s resided within my house.

Before I even think of taking one-step my hands brush against the reason why I was out here in the first place.

The pass few weeks I’ve been finding unmark letters resting neatly on my windshield. Within the letters written in perfect script held only one message; you promise.

The first letter I received I had disregarded thinking it only as a practical joke by one of my new neighbors. But as each morning I came out to my car and I found a letter holding that one message. I begin to realize that this wasn’t a simple joke it was becoming a serious problem and one that I needed to be handle.

It was until I receive a new letter that I knew that this little problem needed to be snap in the bud before it escalated into something serious. The harmless letters switched into something that could be harmful towards me.

I woke up this morning and as expected a letter was placed on the windshield. I thought I was going to simply breeze over it nonchalant and put it with the other letters. That was not to be the case. Within the letter in the perfect script that I was becoming familiar with read three words; you betrayed me.

I ran my hand over the letter that was securely placed in my pocket. This one little letter was the reason that the walls of my reserve were built back up strong. Refusing to allow a little cold air to get the best of me. 

I was going to confront whomever this person that thought they were going to scare me into some kind of submission.

I pulled my arms closer to my body fighting against the frost as I waited for my midnight messenger to reveal their selves. I was hidden in between the tall hedges that divided my property and my neighbor. It was the perfect area to be hidden and see everything without being notice.

The neighborhood that I lived in was that of the typical up and coming middle class homes; the lawns kept short, no letter of any sort on the curve, and with streetlights down the lane making it impossible no to be seen walking.

And making it easy for me to see the sick individual who was playing the crud joke. My phone was resting against my hip with 911 on speed-dial, for anything could turn that could be perilous for my midnight messenger or me.

Hours seem to roll into another, and the more that I waited the more I was beginning to think that maybe this was a practical joke after all. When the heat had finally left my body and only the chilling sensation took over I decided to call it a night and simply take this up to the police in the morning.

I moved from my spot when I noticed someone walking down the street and quickly I rushed back into position watching and waiting for the person, so I could get a better look at this person.

In those short minutes the anticipation and fear come rushing inside me; rejuvenating my chill bones with boiling heat. My body stiffen with the unknown feeling of wanting to run or fight.

The closer the person came I could tell the figure was that of a very tall man. I pulled my phone out unlocking it and pressing the speed-dial for an emergency operator. Readying myself before the encounter of my midnight messenger. Whispering into the phone I told them my address and my fear about this unknown man. Give them twenty minutes was what they said and then suddenly my phone went dead.

I watch him walk pass three houses he was only two houses from my mine, and as he moved from that house to that of my neighbor I could feel my heart pounding.

Paralyzing fear caused me to close my eyes while chanting mentally to myself; please not my house, please not my house, please pass, please pass.

I opened my eyes with the hope that maybe some deity with a merciful heart had listen to my pathetic plea.

Shock was an understatement…there were no words to describe how I felt. There under the streetlights he stood in front of my house. His shadow towered over the lane as he did in height, his hair was a messy dirty blonde, and his beard wasn’t thick but very clean-shaven.

His hands were punched in the heavy navy jacket he wore and as I looked him over he seemed clean.

The total opposite of my imagination that he would be some dirty perverted man; never did I expect that he would be handsome and clean.

After all weren’t all perverts dirty and ugly?

He simply stood there simply staring at my house and it felt like forever that he stood there.

I stayed in my position waiting to catch him red hand. I just needed him to place the letter on my car and then I was going to make myself known.

I watched him intently, he looked down at his right pocket and then he looked back at my house.

He took his first step up the driveway and as I watched his features scrunch up as if each step he took was painful.

When he came closer to my car I could see his hand that was stuffed inside his right hand pocket move up holding something within it. That was the entire signal I needed to make myself known.

“Hey!” I screamed from out of my hidden space walk over my lawn.

He turned fully around I could that he was holding another letter.

“Listen here buddy! I’ve called the police and they’re on their way here any minute!” I yelled at him.

He looked at me unfazed by my threats as if I was insignificant to get any emotions out of him. My legs shook a little I looked around hoping that my outburst had caused someone to come out to see the noise or for that matter wake up.  My hand brushed against the letter as if coercing me to push on until the cops arrived. Pulling the letter out of my pocket I held it up so he would be able to see it and to make my point across.

“Why have you been leaving me these letters?”  I wanted him to explain himself to me.

But he simply kept his eyes on me never even glancing at the folded and wrinkle paper in my hand.

His eyes were mystified as if seeing something that wasn’t suppose to be here. His eyes were an enchanting green that was filled with tenderness and dejection that I’ve never seen a man-correction a person to ever experience.

And I couldn’t help but feel guilty in the short time frame of staring into those hauntingly miserable eyes.

You promise,” he whispered with such pain and mistrust that I was dumbfounded.

“You promise,” his voice became clear his face became scrunched together with such a fierce look towards my direction that I simply stood there.

“YOU PROMISE ME!!!” his voice boomed through the yard and sent unknown terror through my soul that I simply stood there in pure shock.

My mind was incoherent as to what my next steps should be or for that matter what would trigger him to attack me. Than I heard the distinct sound of glass being smashed in and the ear piercing alarm of a car-my car.

Lost in my thoughts I had paid no attention to the strange man before me as he took his fist and smashed my windshield.

I jumped back as his fist made contact with the glass as he screamed out his pained words of broken promises. The pain screams of broken promises of a betrayal I know nothing of kept me at bay as I watched him attack my car.

The situation I found myself in I couldn’t deal with it in a normal setting, for the man before me was mentally unbalance.

“You promise me!” he screamed as hurt tears came to his eyes. And I could feel my eyes moisten at his plight.  As his hands slammed again on the windshield I noticed the bloody guised that was his hand.  The crimson liquid washed away the spell that I was in and pushed me to stop this before he ended up hurting himself even more.

“I’m sorry for whatever I did! Please just stop, please stop!” I found myself screaming moving close to him but keeping my distance.

He turned to me and the look that he gave me…could be describing heart wrenching. Tears flew from those enchanting green eyes as he looked at me with such betrayal.

“Please stop,” I could feel those territories tears reveal themselves the sound of my voice sounded so unknown to my ears.

He fell to his knees as if in prayer, hands placed on each side of his head, as his body rocked. Soft mumbles came from his lips broken and weak like the man before me. The urge to wrap my arms around him in the comforting ways that a mother does her child, yet I couldn’t I just stood there watching. Not believing at what I was seeing.

He finally looked at me.

“You promise me…you never broke promises, yet you did…you did…you said you never leave me, but you did…. you promise me Maxine.”

***












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.