Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

A John and Melody Story. 


All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.




Author's Chapter Notes:

I know I said I was going to work on how they met...I still need to edit that. It's done but this was complete, edited, and just gathering bytes in my document folder so I decided to post it. 


Hope you like it!




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Engagement

By LaTara Sydnor

A John and Melody Story

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

This was it. Today was the day he as finally going to go for it. He had done all of the important things first, like asking her father for his blessing. That was a difficult task but he got it. And he tested the waters with Mel by hinting around but trying not to give anything away.

He ran a hand through his hair and noticed when he put it in his pocket it was shaking. He chuckled at himself for being that nervous. It was Mel. Melody, the girl that stood through him through thick and thin, the girl that was there when he was at his worst and at his best. He paced for a while but he kept thinking about what Mel was going to say.

All he needed to hear was one word. It’s amazing how one word can change a life. But he was hoping it would be the right word. He had asked her that morning to meet him at the park at 6pm. It was now 5:55 and Mel would be there soon. She was always punctual. Always. 4 minutes to 6, 4 minutes until his life changed forever. 1 minute. Still no Mel. John forced himself to calm down and think rationally.

6:01, 6:05, 6:10, 6:15, 6:20, 6:30, 6:45. Forget rationality, John was worried because Mel was never late. Forget rationality! Now was the time to panic. Mel was never ever late. She always made it a point to be punctual. John could always count on the other women in his life to be late. His mom and his sister could never manage to make it to anything on time. It was a sad fact of life and John had gotten use to it but Melody was never late.

Maybe …maybe she was only stuck in traffic. Or her rat bastard of a boss decided to keep her late knowing that she had requested to clock out early. Or maybe she was lying in a ditch somewhere with both legs broken and she couldn’t call him because her cell phone was never charged and it was dead now and she couldn’t-

Just then he saw movement and stilled in his frantic pacing. He squinted his eyes and sure enough there was Mel running towards him, braids flying and her heels in her hands. When she got close to him she started talking, “I’m so so so sorry John. I know that I’m never late and I had plans to get here on time, I really did! But then my boss kept me later than usual and I couldn’t get out of it and I tried I really did. Then traffic was terrible-“

John cut her off with a kiss. It was hard and gentle, and long. When he pulled away Mel blinked slowly at him, still in a daze. Smiling at her for a long moment John was content, and then he remembered why it was important for Mel to be there in the park in the first place and dropped to one knee.

“Melody Anne Elizabeth Carson, I love you so so much. I can’t imagine life without you. And I can’t imagine life without your crazy family either.” He took a deep breath and continued a bit more quietly “Melody, light of my life, will you marry me?”

John’s breath caught and time stood still for him as he waited for his girlfriend to process all that he said. Long moments passed, Melody opened and closed her mouth a few times but no sound came out. Finally she shook her head. And for John that was the beginning of the end. He was devastated. He slowly let go of her hands and was surprised when she grabbed him “John where are you going? Yes! Yes, of course I will marry you!”

“Are you sure?”

“Of course, I’m sure! I didn’t expect you to propose! I mean I saw you go down on one knee and everything but it didn’t register to me until now. I’m sorry.” John gave a loud cheer and picked her up and swung her around. Then he put her down and reached for her left hand. Grinning he reached in his left pocket but found only air.

Still smiling he let go of her hand and frantically patted at his left pocket and then his right but found nothing. “Uh…Mel, don’t freak out; but …I lost the ring.”

Her eyes widened. “You lost the ring?”  

“I think I dropped it when I picked you up.” He gave her a sheepish smile.

“John, John, John…you are something else.” She grinned back at him and pulled her keys from her purse and cutting on the pencil light and shining it on his chest. “We can look for it.”

Getting on their hands and knees they sifted through the lush grass to find a hint of metal and precious stone. It took them some long minutes and some good natured ribbing from Melody when John finally saw something sparkle in the moonlight. “It was a glass bottle.” John sighed disappointed and they started the search again.

After 30 long minutes John found 3 glass bottles, a watch, and a diamond earring but Melody’s ring was still lost to them. Finally they conceded defeat and John pulled her to her feet, “Let’s go, we still have to tell your parents. They’ll probably be wondering what happened to you and where we are anyway.”

“But what about-”

“We’ll get another ring. That’s not the important thing, the most important thing is the fact that you said yes.” He interrupted her gently and hand in hand they walked to his car to tell their families the good news.

 “That’s the cheesiest, cutest thing you’ve ever said to me-other than the proposal.” She smiled as they approached his car Mel spotted something flashing in the grass and out of curiosity she picked it up and as she held it to the moonlight John started laughing.

“That’s your ring! It figures that it would be behind us this entire time.” Getting into the car John continued “You know we should tell your mom first because I’m still terrified of your dad.”

“How did you get his blessing then?”

“Your mom loves me.”

“Ok scaredy cat. I’ll tell dad and you can tell my mom the good news.” Mel said laughing.

“I knew there was a reason I love you!” John exclaimed.

“Shut up!” Mel grumbled good-naturedly.

 

And they lived happily ever after. 






Chapter End Notes:

^^ They are too cute aren't they? 







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.