Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


The night was still, the wind silent. Black, not even the moon decided to reveal itself. A perfect night to relocate. Standing, a bright fire lit across his features. 

    “Avery.” Smoking a cigarette, he looked up. 

    “Go wake the men.” Flicking the bud towards the ground, he nod, face stern. 

    “You’ll get the women and children?”

    “Affirmative.”

    “Alright then. Let’s get this shit started.”

    “Meet back here.” 

    “Roger.”  He inhaled deeply, glancing up towards the clear sky, dotted with millions of tiny white lights. Showtime. Treading lightly, he entered into the women’s quarters where it was still, unsuspecting women and children drawn up for the night. Looking around, he scanned his first entry. The elder Jogia and her granddaughter Uel. Slipping into the large tent, he pulled out a small light and flashed it upon the young girl’s face. At first she didn’t stir. But after a while of persistence, she began to wake, an irritable scowl on her face. Opening her eyes, she set them on him. Before she spoke, he lifted his finger to his mouth to silence her. She lifted up and pulled back the cover, careful not to awaken her grandmother. Coming closer, confusion gathered in her brow. 

    “Faie? What’re you doing here?” 

    “We are moving.”

    “Now?” She whispered rubbing her eyes and quietly yawning. 

    “Yes. In order for you, your grandmother and all the others to be safe, we must relocate.” 

    “To where?”

    “I need you to wake your grandmother. Can you do that for me?” She nodded, swallowing tightly. He could sense the fear emanating from her and gently placed his hand on her head. 

    “I won’t let anything happen to you. Wake your grandmother and meet me in the square. Okay?” She nodded again, this time slightly more at ease. He withdrew his hand and quickly exit their tent, urgent to get to the next one. Before long he had awakened the women and children and gathered them in the square. 

    “Faie, where are we to go?” 

    “Where are the men? Will we go together?”

    “Need we bring anything with us?” He cleared his throat and looked upon them all. 

    “I’m sure you have already heard that Txeis is destroying checkpoints and refuges. Thousands of people are being murdered and before long all of the refuges will be decimated.” Gasps of surprise rippled through the crowd. 

    “As your leader, I will do everything in my power to ensure that you, your children and your men will survive.” A plethora of emotion stared back at him and it made his chest tighten. Fear. Anger. Hopelessness. Strength. 

    “We will be moving far away from here, near Chanthy.” 

    “Chanthy is so far away!”

    “We can’t walk that far!” He tightened his lips. 

    “Avery will be arriving with your men shortly. Those that are of Zachiel’s camp will embark with us. If you decide you do not want to go, you can stay here. Doing so will result in your death.” At that, he found the consistent murmuring quieted. 

    “We have a long way to go so I encourage you to bring things of practical use. Should you have weapons, I encourage those as well. Pack light as heavy loads will slow you down.” 

    “Faie…” Turning eyes onto a woman, his heart grew heavy. She carried child, her belly bulbous. 

    “What of me? Surely, I cannot get that far.” Reaching for her hand, he squeezed gently. 

    “Should you tire, you may ride with any one of the leaders. Both of your lives are of upmost importance.” Turning to the crowd one last time, he spoke, voice strong but warm. 

    “There is no weakness within you. Put your faith in me and the others. Together, we will succeed.” Pulling his mask up back over his mouth, he turned to see Avery oft in the distance with a large number of bodies. 

    “Make haste! Your men are approaching!”  Scrambling feet and dust sounded behind him. Closer they came. Reaching down to grip the handle of his blazer, he swallowed thickly. Where was Zachiel? 

    “Faie!” Eyes met Avery and a multitude of men. 

    “We’re ready to go.”      

    “Have you located Zachiel?” Avery frowned. 

    “No, I thought you’d have seen him.” 

    “We haven’t the time to wait for him. Time grows short.” 

    “Wait a minute Faie. We can’t just leave them.” A man spoke up. 

    “I will wait but not for long. My first priority is to your safety.” In the night, the wind was unusually chilling, cutting straight through to the bone. He could feel it. The chill of death itself was on the horizon.

    “We have to move. I don’t want to leave him but the lives of our people take precedence.” Just as members of the women’s quarters started to return, satchels and bags wrapped around them, children tied to some of their their backs, a glow appeared in the distance. 

    “Faie,” He narrowed his eyes until he could make our the figure of a large man. Good. There he was. Right in the nick of time. 

    “Faie, we have to go. Now.” Zachiel’s words were hard as they approached. 

    “Move out!” He bellowed, hopping on his cylis. Revving up the engine, he began to lead the massive group into the night, dust and sand swirling around them. 

 

*** 

    

 

    Sweat dripped down my forehead and a breath wooshed out of me. The muscles in my arms were tight as I dipped, nose touching the ground before lifting. All this time, I would have had to be a fool not to keep in shape. Those days where I could do nothing but stare at the wall…days when my body permit me to move…I did. All this time I had been running over and over in my mind my escape. But with the women I once called comrades now dead, I realized I needed to make my exit more swiftly than before. Down…slow. Just before she’d met her demise, I’d had Alia hand me a layout of the prison, Chaye following up with the guard points and security stations. Their parting gift to me. And now was the time to repay them.

 

***

    

    “Gael, do you tire?” Her voice was like that of a bluebird, sweet and light to the ear. 

    “No, I am fine.” Smiling, she intertwined their fingers. 

    “It is a long walk to my village. Something you never quite get used to.” 

    “It bothers me not. I find pleasure in going home with you.” Cheeks flushed, she looked away out toward the long lush grass that swayed to and fro in the breeze. How long it had been since she’d been home. He knew she was anxious to see her mother and her father. Things had changed. He knew she thought the metropolis was engrained in her now. But she hadn’t lost herself. She’d only grown more beautiful, more Zorian. Upon reaching the dark houses, a smile spread across her face. 

    “Welcome home Xaen.” Glancing up at him, she allowed a giggle to escape from her belly, girlish and giddy. 

    “Thank you dear husband.” 

 

***

    His hands were starting to cramp up but he tightened them on the handles of his cylis. Behind him, his camp pushed on, fatigue having made them weary. The night had grown obsidian, giving them the coverage they needed. He scanned the crowd for any signs of pain or extreme fatigue. More than anything, they looked ready to rest. Rest he would give them… soon. For now, they still had some ground to cover. 

*** 

    Things however were not as they once were upon entry. She immediately could tell something was off the minute they approached her family home. 

    “Mama?” There was no answer. The giddy smile started to falter. 

    “Baba?” 

    “Who goes there?” The face of an old weathered man appeared and upon sight, tears came to the milky eyes. 

    “Xaen?” 

    “Yes Baba… it’s me.” Hands reached out to caress her face. 

    “How beautiful you are. Where is Gael?” 

    “Here.” He spoke, respectfully at a distance behind her. He smiled and reached for him too. 

    “Come. Welcome home my son.” His heart swelled and yet the tiniest ounce of heartbreak overcame him. 

    “How have you been?” 

    “Come inside and I shall tell you.” They entered and came to sit at a nearby table. The home wasn’t warm or lively any longer, instead it had grown cold and lifeless. Barely existing. 

    “Where’s Mama?” Hands grabbed hers and squeezed tight. 

    “She was murdered by Corporation soldiers.” Xaen grew still. 

    “M-murdered?”

    “She was shot down on her way to the market.” Beneath his hands, hers started to shake. 

    “For what reason?” 

    “None other than she was of the free world and that she was old. That satisfied them.”

    “No… n-not Txeis. There surely had to be a reason. Surely, she rebelled against them and they had no choice.” At that, her father withdrew his hands from her and for the longest time he stared at her. 

    “Mr. Otan…”

    “She’s changed.” She looked as if he had stabbed her, hurt deep in her features.

    “Baba…I am still your daughter. I am still of Zor.” 

    “The daughter I know would not take sides with the murderer. Her warrior spirit would rise and it would rebel.” 

    “If the Corporation was so bad, why did you willingly indoctrinate us both in its ways? To you, Txeis could do no wrong. To you, Txeis was the future.” 

    “I was once a fool, blind to the truth. Just as you are now.” 

    “Baba!” Swallowing hard, he stood. 

    “Xaen.” She refused to look at him, locking eyes with her father. 

    “She was killed three years ago. In that time, I have heard much about your successes. The fulfilling research you and Gael have done for the modernized world. A part of me mourns as well as rejoices. How much blood you must have spilt.”

    “Baba that’s enough! I am no murderer!”  The feeling of heartbreak had grown into a full blown ache that traveled across the spans of his chest. 

    “Xaen, we should go.” He countered, touching her shoulder. 

    “No! This is my home and I will stay!”

    “Dear child,” Her father came to stand to the side of her and gently picked up her dreads, fisting them. 

    “You look so much like your mother. Her strength lives in you. I hope that it is awakened soon. For her sake and for mine.” Tears began to well up in her eyes and without warning, they slid down brown cheeks. 

    “I am nothing more than an old withered man now. My hope is that you never let our legacy, our people, our way die from within you Xaen.” He looked at him and the intensity made him grow still. 

    “You are her alpha and as such I expect you to breathe life into her.  Don’t let her lose herself.” His throat closed up and he couldn’t speak, only nodding. 

    “Daughter,” Leaning down, he whispered something into her ear and she bit her lip, tears growing. Kissing her forehead, he let go of her and left them in the great room, now bare save a couple baskets. 

    “Xaen…” She started to weep, hunched over. Face pressed against the table, her hair sprawled across the table. Slowly approaching, he with the softest care, lifted a few strands and to his lips he pressed a kiss. 

 

***

    

 

 

    Chanthy was a vast city, beautiful and rugged.Unlike that of Saraic, it wasn’t a designated refuge or checkpoint for the rebels. Chanthy was a metropolis and it was ripe with prosperity. It had the amazing ability to disappear underground and here, his people would be able to make a new life for themselves without fear that Txeis would find them. It was the perfect hidden treasure. Upon entering the epicenter, he breathed a sigh of relief. He’d given several people rides, their legs not being able to handle much more exertion and by now they were ready to collaspe. 

    “Good job you guys. We made it.” Zachiel grinned tiredly. 

    “Indeed. I am glad everyone was able to make it. Your camp and mine.”

    “Agreed. Men, take your women and set up camp. Faie, Avery…you’re welcome to join me in my tent for a drink when you get settled.” He clapped his back and their camps dispersed. 

    “How are you feeling Av?” He asked, turning to face him. 

    “Tired as hell but glad we made it. Those bastards will never find us here. Good call Faie.” He didn’t reply, only a whisper of a grin on his lips. 

    “I’m going to bed. See you tomorrow.”

    “Rest well.” As the men went to find their women and children, he sat back against his cylis. Damn. Everything hurt. He definitely needed a soak but that would come later. Much later when he’d retrieved his woman. Glancing up, the sky began to twinkle, stars still visible. He’d get as much sleep as he could. He had another long journey ahead of him. 

***

 

    It was quiet. No one moved much less breathed. Perhaps it was grief. Too cowardly to fight for their own freedom, they found their voice in the women martyred. But, I was quiet for an entirely different reason. It was to mask the utter rage bubbling inside of me. The desire to break, smash and destroy everything around me. Plotting was best done in the quiet and I was silent as a mouse. 

    “Xaen, it’s time to be evaluated.” Silly games they played. I stood, slipping a thin needle I’d acquired through Jesyra underneath my tongue. Filled with a Zorian poison, it was my only line of defense should things get out of hand. As the door opened, I lifted my hands to be cuffed, surprising the guards. 

    “We’re going to have to report your good behavior to the warden. You improve daily.” Still, nothing said as they tugged me along. Funny I hadn’t seen Dr. Patel in a while. Interesting. They led me down the long narrow hall until I stood in front of a crisp white door. 

    “Should things be satisfactory, you will be returned to your cell and commence your writing time.” Nodding curtly, I entered what had become a new hell. Only for a little while I reminded myself. Only for a little while.













Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.