Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


CHAPTER 15: Could Haves

After eating until their stomachs were tight like drums, they cleared the table and stacked the dirty dishes into the dish washer. Leaving the washer to do its work, the trio then played dominoes over Red Stripe beer. Ska, rocksteady and old reggae tunes played in the background. Amused, Tara watched Aunt Vie snapping her fingers and singing along to John Holt. Tara thought no wonder Sam was enamored with this woman. For starters, she was fun to be around and she made you feel included. But to Sam, this tiny woman's larger than life persona made her tall and fearless, the type who would stand by you and protect you in the worst of times.

Not a day goes by that Sam breathe a sigh of gratitude for all what the Thompsons have done for him. They took him into their family, no question. They showered him with all the respect, love and encouragement they had in them, unconditionally. He remembered going to family gatherings with them and being treated as though he were blood. Although his adoptive parents, Sue and Mitch Merlotte saw to it that he was provided for. Clothes, food, shelter and schooling and for which he was thankful, but they failed to see to his emotional needs. Even though he carried the Merlotte name, he didn't feel like one. As while he was in their presence, he felt like he didn't belong.

"Aunt Vie, how's Uncle Tim? When is he coming for a visit?" Sam asked.

"I called him last week to wish him happy birthday. He's doing good yu know. His coffee farm is finally bouncing back from last year's drought. He promised to come next Summer." Aunt Vie replied.

Turning to Tara, Aunt Vie filled in, "Timothy, Uncle Tim is Uncle Ronnie's twin brother. Sam and the boys spent a Summer at his farm."

"Yeah, it was a wicked Summer. I had a lot of fun." Sam eyes danced.

"Sam. You've been holding out on me. You've got to tell me all about that summer." Tara said surprised.

"I want to take there." Sam suggested touching her smooth cheek.

"I'd love that." Tara smiled cupping her hand over his.

"What are you kids doing for Thanksgiving?" Aunt Vie asked piling the white tiles back into its wooden case.

"We hadn't given it much thought." Sam said putting a hand on his beloved's back.

"I'm having a little party. Nothing big. Just me, the twins and their better halves. You two come by. Tara, bring your mom too."

Oh fuck, Tara thought.

"Sure, I'll bring mom." Tara answered masking the dread in her voice.

When they were all gathered at the porch, Aunt Vie handed them bags with containers neatly packed with food. Taking the bags from her, Tara said, "Thanks for the delicious dinner Aunt Vie. We had a good time" then pecked her on the cheek. Whispering in her ear Tara added, "Thanks, for everything". Aunt Vie held Tara's face in her dainty hands and looked her in the eyes and said, "Not at all sweetie, not at all". She then wrapped her arms around her neck and gave her a warm hug. Extending one arm out to Sam while she still hugged Tara, she wrapped it around his neck when he joined in.

Bidding them goodnight, Aunt Vie went back inside and closed her front door and waved at them through the window. Holding hands, Tara and Sam walked toward his old faithful '68 parked in Aunt Vie's driveway.

Stalling, Tara tugged on Sam's hand making him stop in his tracks. Still holding hands and facing each other while standing very close, Tara looked up in his face and softly said,

"Sam. I love you."

"I love you too." he replied.

Standing on the brick driveway, they kissed slowly but deeply while the sun set low behind them. Streaks of bright orange and red in the dark blue sky signaled the end of another day.

Exiting the highway, Sam pulled up and stopped at the lights. Waiting for it to turn from red to green, they sat quietly. Tara mind buzzed back to the conversation she had with Aunt Vie earlier. She couldn't believe that she'd opened up to someone she hardly knew and yet, when she was in Aunt Vie's company, she felt at ease. In actuality, she was glad for that little talk in the kitchen. She hadn't realized it but Aunt Vie was right. Being in love scared her. Talking about her fears was liberating and now that it was off her chest, Tara was now more determined than ever to face it head-on by not running away. "Don't over analyze." Tara muttered under her breath.

"What's that hon?" Sam asked intently watching the traffic lights hanging above.

"Um, I was thinking how such an easy-going person Aunt Vie is. Oddly, I feel closer to her than to my own mother. Now isn't that a shame" Tara said keeping the little chat she had with Aunt Vie to herself.

"That's Aunt Vie for you. Kind, loving and without a single judgmental bone in her body. The same with Uncle Ronnie and the boys. If I could choose, I'd be a Thompson" Sam said smiling. He couldn't wait to talk with Aunt Vie and find out what really transpired between the two of them in that kitchen.

"Me too." Tara said somberly.

Stomping on the gas pedal the moment the lights turned green, Sam turned onto Parish road. Noting a dip in Tara's voice, he reached to her with one hand while he steadied the wheel with the other. Hugging her when she joined him at his side, he said, "Here we are wishing for could haves and we've got each other."

"You're right Sam. I love you." Tara smiled rubbing his arm.

"I love you too." Sam replied giving her a squeeze.

"Besides, had we gotten our wishes, we would be siblings." Sam added laughing.

"Oh. Yeesh!" Tara chuckled.

"Baby, as much as I want to stay by your place tonight, I think I'm going to head home early. I want to check out some courses on the internet. I hope that's alright with you." Tara continued.

"That's perfectly fine with me honey. Do what you gotta do. I'll miss you though." Sam winked at her.

Shit, why is it every time he winks at me I feel like jumping his bones and ride his sweet dick into oblivion, Tara wondered to herself shifting about uncomfortably in her seat.

"Um, didn't you say you wanted to show me your 'trunk'?" Tara said smiling from ear to ear as Sam continued driving west.

Mashing his foot down on the accelerator, Sam gave Tara a sexy grin that made her cream her panties.

Dressed in just navy blue sweat pants, Sam stood bare chested and bare footed on his porch. He watched Tara's car round the corner of Merlotte's Bar and Grill before hitting Parish road. He could still taste and feel her on his lips and smell her perfume intermingled with her natural scent lingering on his feverish skin. He couldn't get enough of her, being inside her, being molded to her warm soft sensuous body. While they held each other naked in his bed, he came close to telling her his secret but everything had been perfect he didn't want to ruin a good thing. When her headlights were no longer in sight, he then went back inside and made that call to Aunt Vie.

"Sam." Aunt Vie answered seeing his name appear on the caller ID display.

"Auntie, you had that run yet?" Sam asked.

"Not yet. After I watch Three's Company."

"Ha ha, I knew you always had a thing for Mr. Fergie." Sam teased.

"Very funny. Hey, dat Tara is a real comedian you know. Tonight she had me holding mi sides."

"Yes, she is quite charming now isn't she." Sam said happily as he held the phone to his ear.

"Aye. I like her a lot. But hear dis, she wanted to know what you said to me at the club. So I told her what you said. That she was the one."

"You.. you did what?" Sam said surprised.

"Oy! Is not like you'd asked me NOT to tell her in the first place. Besides, I didn't think it would do any harm in letting her know. Anyway, is not so much what I told her, is how she reacted after I told her."

"And how did she react?" Sam said trying to steady his voice.

"Sam, take it easy nuh man. Well, she looked a little faint so I gave her some chamomile tea which seemed to help. I tell you man, that thing works like a..."

"Aunt Vie..." Sam said bringing her back on track.

"Alright alright. Long and short is she is now realizing how much you love her and she said she loves you and that she's afraid of screwing up."

"At first it wasn't easy getting her to believe in love. I guess living with an abusive alcoholic all her life had something to do with that. But, I think we're getting there." Sam said perking up.

"Did she say anything else?" Sam pressed.

"She said that you're everything a woman could ever want in a man and everything is perfect whenever you two are together." Aunt Vie added.

"Really? She said that? Yes!" Sam rejoiced and pumped his fists in the air. When he thought about Tara, he felt happy. In all his thirty-two years he's never been this in love before. But harvouring his secret hung over him like a black cloud.

Hearing a distinct beep on the phone, he put Aunt Vie on hold and took the other call. It was Tara letting him know that she'd gotten home safely. Fortunately for him she was so eager to browse the internet that she ended their call quickly.

"That was Tara." Sam said continuing his conversation with Aunt Vie.

"Is she alright? I hope my cooking didn't make her sick or something."

"Don't worry Auntie. She's fine. She loves your cooking." Sam said reassuringly.

"Auntie, I love her." Sam added sounding serious.

"Ah know dear."

"I haven't told her."

"Ah know dear."

"Tell me what I should do."

"Sam, you know I can't tell you how to lead your life. Oh Sam. Yu know dat keeping secrets from the one you love is going to ketch up wid yu one day."

"Don't you think I already know that? Look, sorry I raised my voice. I...I gotta go. Love you Auntie."

"Sam, meet me and Martin tomorrow at Marvin's house at around six in the evening."

"And how's a family intervention is going to help me?"

"Just be there, alright?" she insisted. It didn't matter to her that he wasn't her biological son, but in her heart, he was as much a son to her as her own twin boys Martin and Marvin. Like the loving and protective mother that she was, she hated hearing the hurt in his voice and wanted to do something to help.

"I'll think about it." Sam ended the call sounding defeated. Taking off his sweat pants, he ran through the door and disappeared into the woods.

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.