Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


CHAPTER 3: Going With The Flow

"Ah ha! Marvin likes you" Sam teased keeping his focus on the road as he drove east on Parish road.

"What? Nah", Tara chuckled.

"Didn't you see him checking you out? The moment he saw you, he couldn't stop smiling. Man, I've known Marvin sixteen years and it is the first time I am noticing that he has dimples." Sam teased.

"What's the matter, afraid of a little competition?" Tara said jokingly and noticed that Sam was still driving further away from Holmes Depot.

"Was nice of him to not charge you." Tara added.

"Marvin and me, we're practically brothers."

"Yeah, I can see that. Sixteen years huh? You both went to the same high school?"

"School? Nah. Nothing like that. I was sixteen when I first met him. I was on my own and his family took me in.

Tara picked up sadness in his voice. She thought that there was so much more to this man.

"How come you were on your own at sixteen? Jesus Sam, where were your parents?"

"My adoptive parents, they abandoned me. I came home one day and they were gone. Moved out." Sam looked straight ahead, silent, old wounds unhealed.

Tara instantly felt like holding him and hush the hurt away. She slid towards him along the long seamless seat and sat next to him, almost touching. He came to when he sensed her closeness.

"Mind if we don't talk about this?" Sam said with hurt in his eyes.

"Course." Damn, thought I had it bad but at least in between mom's drunken rages, she'd sober up enough to cook for me. Tara placed a reassuring hand on his leg. She felt like an idiot for prying. Quickly changing the tone, she asked,

"How long has Marvin been living in Bon Temps?"

"Actually not long, just in the past five years. Before that he lived in Georgia after graduating from university. There he ran in to trouble and I helped him out. That's what brothers do. Help each other out. All is good now. He has his restaurant and it's doing well."

"He owns Miss Matty's?"

"Well, co-owns it. We're in partnership."

"You mean like fifty-fifty?"

"No, I only have twenty percent of the shares."

"Dang Sam. Here you are thirty-two, owner of a bar, co-owner of a restaurant, landlord and whatever the fuck else and yet you live in an old beat-up trailer."

"Hey, that trailer may be old but it's cozy. Why do I need a bigger place for anyhow?" Sam said defensively.

"You know if you set yourself up in a nice house and maybe drove a nice car, you would attract a lot of women."

"No Tara, that's not how I roll. I prefer to live a simple life."

Tara smiled. She couldn't agree more. Like him, she wanted a simple, stable life and she wanted to share it with someone special. She was tempted to dig more information out of him, about his past, about his future plans, but now was not a good time to stir things up. It felt so nice hanging with him and she thought Shit, where the fuck is he going?

"Ok, Sam, we've been driving for a while. It would be nice to know where we're going."

"Will you relax." Sam replied and gave a little grin and added,

"I have something to show you".

Tara said to herself fuck it, just go with the flow Tara, go with the flow.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.