Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This is a short story, and the second original fiction story I will be posting on this amazing website. I do not currently have plans to expand this story any further.

I have found it a very educational experience posting my first story, Visceral. I didn't realise how much other people's views can impact your thought process when writing. It also made me realise that I tend to write my stories like scenes from a film, snapshots of events linking together. This means that some chapters are short and I can now appreciate why readers may get frustrated with this. Its something I'm working on and I hope you'll all bear with me. I wonder if there are any other writers reading my stories who have had a similar experience, I would be grateful for any words of wisdom on this matter.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this story!!!





Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


“We should go back” said Adele, looking nervously towards the door of the boardroom.

“Come on, we're fine. Let's just take a breather” Hannah coaxed, drawing her long blonde hair away from her beautiful face and leaning further back in the chair she occupied.

“You're such a worry wart,” grinned Max, reaching over from the adjacent chair to tickle Adele.

“No, I'm not, I just don't want us to get in trouble. We're not supposed to be in here, remember,” She batted Max's long spindly fingers away from her sides.

“Mmmm, imagine getting called to the office for a telling off by Gabriel Anderson. Count me in.” A salacious smile spread over Nicole’s face as she leant her chin on her folded forearms, her green eyes twinkling.

“He is quite cute” Hannah agreed

Adele and Max rolled their eyes in unison

“Cute” said Nicole outraged, “That man is hot hot hot!”

“Look, let’s just go” Adele insisted, getting up and making her way to the door. As she went to turn the door handle, she heard some distant footsteps coming from the opposite side. She quickly put her ear to the door. “There's people coming” she whispered, a panicked look on her face. “I can hear Zoe, but there are definitely others. We need to hide” she said urgently as she moved away from the door, her eyes darting around the large room.

The others jumped up from their seats, pushing the chairs back under the conference table quickly.

“In the kitchen” Hannah pointed frantically, moving around the table to usher the others into the adjacent room. The boardroom door opened just as Hannah closed the kitchen door behind them.

Max, Adele, Hannah and Nicole all breathed a sigh of relief, staring at each other in the small kitchen.

“What do we do if they come in here?” Nicole whispered

Adele put her finger to her lips and shook her head at Nicole to quiet her.

The kitchen door was thin enough that they could hear the voices from the boardroom clearly.

“Okay, let’s take a seat. I don't want to keep you long, just a brief chat about how the trainees are settling in and a plan of action for next week,” announced Zoe Dahl to the group of ten associates.

“Right, let's go through them one at a time. I want your honest thoughts. Remember, these are your potential future colleagues. Okay, let start with Stephan Whiteley.” She looked down at her list quickly before raising her head to look around the group.

“He's a total sycophant, definitely knows how to play the game, though,” Gabriel said, his comments greeted with various nods from the table's other occupants.

“Well, would you work with him?” Zoe said panning her head round the table to gage reactions. She received various shrugs and non-enthusiastic nods.

“Look, I need real opinions here, your observations, your thoughts, positives, negatives”

 

“He seems fine, he's got the right background, should fit in” Alistair Montgomery volunteered.

“Okay, how about Hannah Sorres?”

“Now, that is a gorgeous, intelligent woman. I would confidently put her with any client and expect them to be pleased,” Humphrey Sage stated

“Any other comments?” Zoe asked

In the kitchen, Max gave Hannah a thumbs up. She simply smiled in response, quietly satisfied with Humphrey's assessment.

“Nicole Stratton,” Zoe said looking down at her list. She raised her head when she realised there was silence in the room.

“You might want to keep that one on a short leash” said Humphrey dryly.

Hannah elbowed Nicole playfully, but she just rolled her eyes.

“Okaaaay,” Zoe continued when there was no further comments. She moved on to the other names,  listening to feedback and jotting down notes. Noel Sullivan... Arthur Montrose... Niall Forrester... Gill Sanders... Chloe Lang... Martin Coates... Douglas Dayton... Max Goodwin

“Does it really matter what we think of him. The partners would never get rid of Clive Goodwin's son, even if he was awful,” declared Zara Meyers.

“Well, is he awful?” Zoe enquired

“Not... totally, his test scores are second to none, but he knows it. Basically, he's arrogant and cocky said Zara disdainfully.

Zoe chuckled. “Aren't most of the men who work here,” she said rhetorically. “If those are his only faults, he'll probably make partner in five years.”

“Perhaps...” Humphrey interjected, “but he seems to have attached himself rather strangely to that Garrett woman. I can't think what they could possibly have in common. Come to think of it, I've seen Miss Sorres with them too.”

Zoe looked at her list. “Adele, you mean Adele Garrett?”

Gabriel's deep chuckle rang out.

Zoe narrowed her eyes at him. “Something to say, Gabriel?”

“Oh, come on” said Gabriel mockingly in his deep American accent. “That woman is a total disaster. Overweight, badly dressed. Have you seen the state of her hair? You should just stamp token minority to her forehead and be done with it. It’s positive discrimination gone wrong. Northfields will keep her on for two years, not let her near any clients it wants to keep, use her to highlight its diversity and then off load her.”

“I hardly think we're as cynical as all that, Gabriel” Zoe said as the rest of the boardroom laughed at his frankness. “Lets move on, shall we? Ryan Small... Anthony Rainer...

Adele swiped away the angry and hurt tears she'd been unable to prevent from falling, her back stiffened against Max as he hugged her from behind.

 

“He's wrong, love” Max whispered, pressing his face into the soft skin between Adele's neck and shoulder. “You're amazing”












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.