Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Friday night, the perfect evening for "going out on the town" as Layla described it. That meant clubbing at the more upscale Bayview Oasis. Definitely not her "scene" but who could turn down a pouting, annoying little sister who complained that she was spending far too much of her free time with Manning. She certainly realized how Layla arrived at such an impression. As the days slowly turned into weeks, hers and Todd's interactions were steadily improving. All for Trevor's benefit, she kept reminding herself and why wouldn't it be? If not friendship, his parents deserved to establish some sort of cordial relationship.

 She recalled vividly their first day of mediation as being very intense.

"You and I both know that your request is very unreasonable."

"Unreasonable? How about keeping Trevor a secret for how many years..." It wasn't a question more like a glaring observation on his part.

They sat glaring across the table at each other with the mediator, Carolyn Armstrong in between. Carolyn quietly observed the back and forth only choosing to intervene when necessary.

"I need to be closer to our son and you moving back to Llanview isn't being unreasonable," he stated empathically.

"It's not going to happen Manning so get that silly notion out of that brain of yours..." Evangeline folded her arms and leaned forward on the desk.

Carolyn interjected. "Both of you have been very honest with me regarding your past relationship." She shifted her gaze in Todd's direction. "Mr. Manning do you really want Mrs. Thomas to uproot her life all over again?"

"He just wants to be spiteful - a classic Manning move..." Evangeline sighed in frustration. This was going nowhere. "You know what take me to court, have all our dirty laundry aired for the whole world to see. It's not going to affect us because we will fight until the bitter end but in the long run Trevor will be the one suffering over and over again. You know that to be true."

He briefly thought about it and got that point loud and clear. "I want all the remaining holidays for this year and definitely New Year's. In between Sam, Jack and I will be travelling to Maryland a couple of weekends in the month to visit Trevor. So do we have a deal?"

Evangeline swallowed thinking about Trevor being away for the holidays especially during Christmas. Of course, it might mean another battle with Stephen. The prospect of her marriage facing more turmoil did not sit well. Then again, Todd never got the opportunity to experience Trevor's first couple of Christmases.

"If I agree does that mean we can work out a practical arrangement from here on?"

"Certainly Mrs. Thomas besides I didn't say you couldn't join us on said holidays." Todd eased back in his chair and gave her a sly grin while Evangeline rolled her eyes knowing exactly what he meant.

Carolyn clasped her fingers together and calmly commented, "Ok it seems like some progress is being made. Now it's time to work out some further details."

 

Evangeline was glad they made it through the process without any lingering disagreements. A week later Todd was back at work and whenever possible she took Trevor over to see his dad. This meant having breakfast and lunch over at his office or at Ruby's Café around the corner. In the beginning, they endured some stares and whispers but as the days passed it dissipated for the most part. The anticipated battle with Blair never materialized and she barely saw Vicki since their first encounter. Knowing Todd had a hand in this made her appreciate his efforts even more.

Their conversations flowed easily and it mainly centered on Trevor. Certainly, there were times when Todd drifted off script, a comment here or a slight touch. She either chuckled at his attempts, made sarcastic rebuttals or did her best to ignore his gestures.

"Don't you remember that you never strayed from your marriage with Blair?"

"That was before I recognized what I was missing when you came into my life."

"Even so you still remained committed to your vows and I intend to do the same."

"I promise you before this year is out you'll be divorcing Stephen and marrying me."

 

He had that twinkle in his eyes that alerted her that Todd was up to something.

 

"That comment alone tells me that you are checking into my husband's background..."

"And if I am?"

"Then stop..."

"It's in my best interest ...and yours too."

"This isn't a game Todd!"

"It has never been a game to me! You and our son are the missing pieces in my life. Deep down Evangeline, I know you want our family back together. Stop fighting it..."

 

 

                                                                       ֍֍֍֍

 

Back to the present and the boisterous atmosphere inside the club mixed itself with a certain degree of snootiness as everyone separated into their own clicks. Evangeline's mind drifted to Trevor having his first sleepover with dad and his brothers. Evangeline wasn't sure how Trevor would react but she trusted Todd to reassure him when it came time to do so.

"Hugh Hughes...strange seeing you in a club no less."

Evangeline swiveled her chair around to greet him. Her private area was far enough away from the noise of the crowd milling around the bar and on the dance floor. She was alone, Layla having moved on to mingle with some of her friends.

Hugh regarded the beautiful Mrs. Thomas dressed in a sleeveless purple halter-top dress, minimal makeup and hair styled into a side-swept chignon. He lifted her right hand and placed a chaste kiss on its surface. "A DA needs to take some time off whenever and wherever he finds it. It's great to see an old colleague..."

"Or perhaps you're wondering if the rumors were true. Yes I'm married and also have a son with Todd Manning; story complete." Her dirty martini brushed by her lips before she took a sip.

Hugh took a swig of his scotch, cleared his throat then asked, "Where's Layla?" She noticed his eyes searching but it was hard to locate specific faces during this time of the evening.

"Out and about. Hugh I know you didn't just search me out for a chit chat. What's on your mind?"

"May I?" he gestured at the seat next to her and she acquiesced. "Simply put I want you on my team. You're the best lawyer I know and you have a built up a rapport with the residents."

"Minus the drama right," she chuckled, "Besides Hugh when was the last time you really saw me in a courtroom?"

"I was there when you argued the Goldwyn case." Evangeline's eyes briefly opened wide in disbelief. "The significance of that case meant something to you otherwise you wouldn't have taken it on."

"An obvious case of self-defense even though the prosecutors desperately wanted to send my client to jail for the rest of her life. Of course her reputation didn't help matters much but the jury needed to see beyond that glaring factor."

"A feather in your cap..."

"For the amount of money she paid, I aim to please."

He quickly leaned closer and asked, "How does ADA sound?"

She placed her right leg over her left, with her left palm cradling her chin she said, "Now Hugh you know the title I want most of all."  

"And you'll have it in a few years but you have some decisions to make."

"Returning to Llanview and working as a prosecutor...humph not thrilled with the idea. Defense work has always been my forte. It's where I make the most money and get the greatest satisfaction in winning a difficult case. Hugh, I never thought that I would return to Llanview. This place has left me with bitter memories." She stared into her almost empty glass.

"I believe you were always meant to return. A brilliant attorney as yourself would never allow the past to affect her future."

Obviously, she had allowed it to do so. She just gazed at him with fascination as he arose from his seat. "Llanview is your home. Think about it and please tell Layla I stopped by."

"I will," she replied with a small smile. Hugh was a good catch she supposed but Layla was all business these days. Soon a waiter brought over another dirty martini to replace her now empty glass. Courtesy of Mr. Hughes no doubt.

 

 

                                                                       ֍֍֍֍

 

"Dad this isn't camping," Jack complained looking around the penthouse rooftop. "More like being trapped in the concrete jungle." Referring to the surrounding skyscrapers and the noise from the traffic way down below.

"Well not real camping anyways," Sam concurred.

"Oh come on its not that bad."

Todd held an agitated Trevor in his arms. He was missing his mother and laid his head on Todd's left shoulder. The boys brought along the sleeping bags. 

"Can you imagine dad in an actual forest?" Jack started laughing.

Sam joined his brother in laughter and said, "He'll growl louder than the bears because he wanted to go home."

"Ha...ha...ha very funny. Why don't the both of you go and put down your sleeping bags."

"Dad can I get my phone..."

"Absolutely not. I said no electronic stuff and don't you dare believe that you can sneak off to get them."

"Dad you mean going downstairs," Jack remarked and they started laughing again.

"...Don't mind your brothers, they have lost their imaginations unlike you," he quietly said to a sniffling Trevor as he stroked up and down his back. 

"Hey look at those beautiful stars." Todd pointed his index finger towards the sky. The night sky held a few bright stars but the Llanview lights blocked out most their view.

"Huh..." Trevor's eyes shifted upwards and one bright star caught his interest.

 

Everyone strolled over to an eight-seated table which featured a quartz tabletop. A huge tent stood just a short distance away but Jack and Sam got excited over the flameless marshmallow roaster that sat prominently on the table's surface.

 

 

"Whoa we can make smores," Sam shouted, "Jack look."

Jack was impressed as well. "You did good dad."

Sometimes all it takes is a new device. "You see you shouldn't have doubted me." Trevor pointed in their direction wanting to join his brothers in the fun. "Ok...Ok," Todd chuckled watching him scampering up to them as fast as his little legs could take him. How in the world was he going to say goodbye to his son.

When the time came for them to settle down to sleep, Sam and Trevor were busy roughhousing with dad. Todd perceived he was getting the worst of it with his boys falling, laughing and squealing all over him. Jack remained in his sleeping bag, quietly watching the play a bit jealous of his brothers. The presence of the newest Manning really set his mother off. Blair went so far as to question Trevor's paternity but she never voice these objections to his father which was strange but welcomed. These days he dreaded when his parents got into any sort of disagreement. He had enough of it during his childhood. Now his little brothers were receiving from his father what he wanted all along.

"Go...go...get your...brother."

"No...no." Jack snapped out of his musings as he saw his brothers turned their attentions his direction.  "Dad I'm way too old for this," he protested weakly.

"You're...you're never...never too old," Todd replied a little out of breath.

Sam and Trevor were having a grand time climbing over Jack. He protested at first but soon gave in. Todd laughed at his sons almost bringing the tent down with their play.

"Ok boys I believe your brother has had enough. Trevor come to daddy. Jack help your brother with his sleeping bag."

"Sleepy time daddy," Trevor said as he crawled into his father's waiting arms.

"Yes sleepy time," Todd replied kissing the top of his head. "Now close your eyes...goodnight moon..."

"Goodnight cow jumping moon..."

When Sam was little, Todd often recited the words of the Margaret Brown book to him until he fell asleep. It seemed Evangeline did the same for their son. "Good night light and the red balloon."

"Goodnight bears..."

"Goodnight chairs..."

"Goodnight kittens...yawn."  

"Goodnight mittens..."

"Good...night..."

Soon Todd heard him softly snoring then he too closed his eyes and drifted off to sleep.

 

 

                                                                       ֍֍֍֍

 

Morning and a still sleepy Evangeline found herself strolling into the Layla's bedroom. It felt strange having an evening to herself without caring for Trevor or worrying about him when she did so. She was half-dressed for the day having already showered but unsure of what to wear.

"Morning," Evangeline said as she sat down at the edge of Layla's bed.

"Morning to you too."  

Layla was mostly dressed for her day ahead - navy blue pants with a sleeveless white silk blouse, hair styled in an elegant ponytail. Evangeline gazed at her intently while she twisted from side to side looking at her reflection in the large floor length mirror.

"Why are you staring at me with those gorgeous hues?"

"I'm admiring the most beautiful woman in the world. You have this way about you."

"Do I? And what of yourself? No man compares to how handsome and sexy you are."

"Am I?"

"You know you are."

"It's sounds amazing coming from your sweet mouth..."

 

"Vange? Vange?"

"W-what?" Evangeline massaged the back of her neck. Her body tingling all of a sudden.

"When will you go back to Maryland?"

"Uh soon...soon."

"You keep saying that but I'm not buying it." Layla spun around. "Something is going on and you need to spill the details..."

"Ok I'm having Manny look into Stephen's background," she replied rather quickly.

Layla stared back at her in disbelief. "Your old legal researcher? Why? Is this because of Manning?"

"In a way yes. I know Todd is trying his best to find some dirt on Stephen."

Layla fold her arms. "So you can go running back to him...what a bastard."

"Still I don't want to be caught off guard with any unexpected surprises."

Layla approached the bed and eased into the space alongside Evangeline. "And I can see by the look in your eyes that you believe that Manny has found something."

"I really don't know. Manny said he'll get back to me in a couple of days. I just feel like it's happening all over again but this time I won't lose my heart because of it."  

"Vange I never believed Stephen had any part of your heart to begin with."

"I won't walk away from my marriage because of supposition. Stephen was there for me during a desperate time in my life."

"And you gave him a reward for the being the best man...You wanted Trevor to have a father and if it meant setting aside your true feelings then so be it."

It hurt to hear her call her out on her actions. "Layla...it was the right decision..."

"For whom? Vange you can't love him the way a wife is supposed to love her husband. Why stay in a marriage if you are mentally not there to give it your best. You give your best for everything else. In many ways you're just like mom; only dad's death allowed her to move on when everyone knew the truth."

"I know the truth...," Evangeline steadfastly clarified.

"You may know it but have you ever acted on it.  Sis you deserve happiness for yourself and I say it is time to find yourself a divorce lawyer and end this charade of a marriage. Stephen is not doing it for you even a little."

"Why are you saying this now? I thought you were happy about my marriage. Happy that I moved on with my life."

"But you are not. I'm sorry...," Layla said rubbing her shoulder.

"Don't be." Evangeline let out a deep sigh. "I needed to hear the truth from the one person who always has my back. ...End this marriage," she repeated in a trancelike tone twisting around her wedding rings. "Yeah I think it's time."












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.