Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

This is Part 2 of The Governor series. If you haven't read Part 1 you can find it on Amazon. 

https://www.amazon.com/Blush-Part-Governor-D-M-Lee-ebook/dp/B01LX8GU2N/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475710475&sr=8-1&keywords=blush+part+1

 





Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Like father, like son. Plays in my mind over and over, like, a nightmare you can’t wake up from. I feel sick. My stomach is in knots and I’m feeling lightheaded. She seemed too comfortable with Liam. She knew exactly how to push his buttons. What does that mean? What does she know about Liam, that I don’t? Why was she touchy with him? He swore he wouldn’t hurt me, how could he not tell me this? How did we just go from happy bliss to awkward silence?

 

The silence is painful. It tugs on my heart. It brings up my tears, and worst of all it makes me see a side of Liam, I’ve never saw before. I don’t like the way he won’t look at me, and brings up the sick feeling I had a few minutes’ prior.  I can hear his heavy breaths. I want to reach out to him, but I fear he would grab me like he did Chelsea. Bitch. I’m not sure who to direct my anger at; That bitch Chelsea or the man that claims to love me. That part of me that wants to comfort him is trying to break free. I won’t let it.

 

My thoughts turn back to Chelsea. In her father’s eyes, I’m only good for a mistress. I know Liam well enough that he wouldn’t want that. Nonetheless, her words still crawl under my skin. Ugh! I want to scream but I can’t. I want to break something but I don’t. Instead I fight ever urge and every cell that says go find Chelsea and get the truth. But, I don’t need the truth from her. Liam is the one that needs to explain.

 

There’s a tingling sensation in my fingers, the result of clutching my purse too tightly. I haven’t moved in two minutes, or maybe it was two hours, too hard to tell. It certainly feels like it’s been hours.

 

“Evelyn,” he sighs my name as he turns around to face me. It’s bad, I can tell, he rarely calls me by my full name. His expression is that of hurt, anger and I can see some pain. My heart twinges a bit for him, but I can’t let that distract me.

 

My mouth is too dry, at first. I swallow and I’m able to speak. “W-What? I’m nervous and shaking like a leaf.

“I’m sorry,”

 

I lick my lips. He’s sorry? That’s it. No. I need more than that. I need answers. I deserved more than that. He lied to me about his relationship, at least I think he did. I know for certain he didn’t tell me about his pending marriage to Chelsea. Ugh. Her laugh echoes in my head again.

 

“What are you sorry about,” I cry out. I close the distance between us and look him right in his eyes. If he was going to lie to me again, then he would have to do it to my face.

 

He shakes his head, as he steps back. “I was going to tell you. I just wanted to find the right time.”

“The right time!” I echo back in disgust.

He reaches out to me, and I shake my head stepping away from him. He rakes a hand through his dark hair and sighs. He’s frustrated. I can see it in his eyes. I’m hurt and it’s not going to change now. Maybe this was the wrong time to have this argument.

 

“Eve, I told you her father was a large benefactor during my campaign. You already know that; she was nothing more than a cover.”

 

“It didn’t seem that way. Seems like she knows exactly what you like. Did you lie to me, when you said you didn’t sleep with her?” There’s hurt in my voice, and the tears I fought back were breaking the surface. What am I going to if he lied? My mind is racing and I can’t think.

 

“No.” he states firmly. He reaches out for me again, and this time I don’t back away. Even like this he’s hard to resist. I mentally kick myself, for letting him touch me. If I get too close every ounce of courage I have will disappear.

 

“She’s just trying to get into your head and break us up. Chelsea was good at being a cover. The fake dates, fake trips, and fake vacations, was nothing more than a political move on my part.

Oh if her intentions were to get inside my head, good mission accomplished.

 

“You were going to marry her,” I remind him.

“Because I didn’t expect to love someone enough not to.”

I recall our previous conversation on marriage and kids. He was right, when we first crossed that line, he warned me. I don’t do dates. But Liam’s last admission makes my heart skip a beat.

 

“At the time, I was running for Governor, every politician needs a trophy wife. Someone that could stand beside them, wave, and make like everything was picture perfect.”

 

I wipe away my tears as I try to understand and process everything. Too much of it still didn’t make since. He’s hiding something. There’s something there but I can’t pin point it.

 

“Tell me what you’re thinking about?” he asks. His voice is low and soft and for the first time I see fear in his eyes. Was it fear of losing me? Or fear of me finding out his secret? Maybe it was both.

 

“Why won’t her father accept that you’ve changed your mind?”

 

He lets me go and sighs. “Because, I am his investment. Her father is Casey Patterson.” He stops to watch my expression.

“He’s like a billionaire, known for his investments and buildings.” I add as I try to follow along.

 

But what most people don’t know is that, he is a bigot, filth of a man. With me, becoming Governor I was supposed to help lobby for his agendas. Labor unions, health benefits, etc. He sold me on his ideas as a Democrat, and once I was in as Governor we were going to make those changes. But his views changed. Or rather, he just took off the mask, and I saw him for what he really was. He wanted me to act like Democrat to the people, and make slow and well thought out moves of a Republican behind closed doors.”

 

“You wouldn’t do those terrible things.” I state “He doesn’t own you,”

Liam hesitates to respond. There’s a sudden tension in the air. Oh no. He does own him.

My purse slides out of hands and down to the floor with the rest of my bags. When I look down at them, I’m reminded of the wedding and the nights in the hotel room. Was I going to lose all of that?

 

“I can’t tell you,” he finally states and by the look of defeat on his face, he knows what will happen next.

 

I widen my eyes in shock. “Y-You can’t o-or you don’t want to?” my voice is weak and shaky again.

“I want to, Eve. You have to know that.” He pleads.

“Part me does. But, part of me says, if you love me like you say you do, then tell me.

He puts both hands over his face briefly and I can see he’s struggling.

 

“Maybe she was right,” I cry. “Maybe girls like me, are meant to be mistresses.”

“Fuck her!” he yells.

“From the way she tells it, you’ve probably already done that”

“I would never sleep with her. She’s not my type

Liam closes the distance between us and brushing away a tear with the padding of his thumb. Oh no, I was falling under his spell again.

“And what is your type.”

The corner of his lip turns up slightly, “Women that challenge me, have hair that she feels she can never tame, and beautiful brown skin that makes want to lick her all over. I met her once, when she took an internship at my office.”

 

I smile. But it quickly fades, as I realize he still hasn’t told me what the secret was, I step away.

The feeling has returned back into my fingers and the tingling sensation has disappeared. There was nothing else to say to him right now. How on earth can you love someone you don’t trust? I’m sure he thinks he’s protecting me, but I don’t buy it.

 

“I’m going home,” I state reaching for my purse. Liam walks over to me blocks me from grabbing my luggage.

“It’s too late to go home, stay here. Please” he’s begging but I don’t care. I have to put my foot down on this now or things like this will keep happening.

 

If I was being honest with myself, I didn’t want to leave. I love being in his company and around him. A feeling of security that I absolutely love. I’m torn, and he is right, it’s way too late for me travel alone New York. I’m positive he would have his driver bring me home, but in an act of defiance, I move around him and grab the luggage.

 

“I’ll take the train. I know how to get back.”

“No! Don’t think for a second I’m letting you walk out of here and take the subway home. Do you know what that would do me if something happened to you? Or Will? Or your parents.

 

Shit. I didn’t think about them.

“Stay here,” he urges me again.

“I can’t”

“Eve-,”

“Home. That is where I’m going,” I interject. “You can’t expect me to be okay with you lying to me.”

I can’t listen anymore to him right now. I need distance. I need my own bed, that didn’t smell like Liam. Or reminders of our time in D.C. I want it all behind me. I need Sophia.

 

He rubs the back of his neck and says, “I’ll have the driver meet you out front.”

 

“Thank you,” I cry. I can tell he wants to bring me into a hug but I won’t let him. If he touches me again, I’ll melt. I’ll become weak, and forgive whatever secret he has. I just don’t know if it will tear us apart.

 

“Eve, don’t let this mean, what I think it means.”

Looking at him, I can see tears in his eyes.

 

“I can’t promise that.” It was all I could muster. The bell of the elevator filled the silence and I stepped in.  I don’t look at him as the doors begin to close. And when they do, I sob uncontrollably.

 

The drive home did not console my tears. I’m sure the driver would report back to Liam the state I was in, but I don’t care. I truly don’t know what this means for us. Could Liam be involved in something illegal? It’s not too farfetched. Politicians are always making deals to get what they wanted. But Liam never made me feel like he was that guy. Then again, no politician is clean. At least according to Sophia.

 

I’m quiet when I get in. Sophia is asleep on the couch. I’m relieved. I’m not sure if I have it in me to talk about Liam.

Some anime or manga show she likes is still playing on TV. I turn it off and I find myself smiling. Thankfully, I lived with a clean freak of a nerd, because, only one dirty bowl of ice cream, and a bag of chips were on the floor next to the couch.

 

I can’t help but smile and head towards my room. I’m relieved that she’s sleeping. The last thing I want to do is talk about Liam. I don’t unpack anything. Instead, I walk into the bathroom and brush my teeth. At least I could get that done for tonight. There is no way, my body has anything left for a shower. I turn off the lights and stand in front of my bed. Would it be too dramatic if I just fell forward?

I sigh and pull the duvet up and over so I can climb in.

 

For ten minutes my eyes are closed. I can feel how exhausted I am by the way my body seem to just become one with the bed. The sad part is, I’m completely exhausted, but my mind is wide awake, rethinking everything that’s happened over the weekend.

 

I hate to admit it, but I need Liam to sleep. I want him next to me and to smell his scent over my pillows. I want his large frame holding me tightly at night, until I’ve fallen asleep. It isn’t fair. He isn’t fair. How come he gets to dictate what I can and can’t know about him. Especially, since he knows everything about me.

 

I end up tossing and turning for the next couple hours, getting very little sleep. Each time I open my eyes, I’m reminded how much time I had left until I had to get ready for work. Ugh. How can I not see him at work? He practically owns it.

 

 

“Oh, why me?” I muffle into my pillow when I realized it was nearly time for me to get up. Of course, this is the moment, my brain wants to shut down. 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.