Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


MAY 2000: THE BIRDS AND THE BEES AND WHAT?!?

"Bye Mom! Bye Dad!"

"Whoa slow down there Speed Racer!" Victor chuckled "where are you off to in such a hurry?"

"To the park" Aurora said with her helmet under her arm "Sean and Luther are waiting we're going to take turns riding my dirt bike"

"Are all your chores done?" Jacquelyn asked looking up from her coffee and stack of bills and other mail she was going through

"Yes Mom"

"That room of yours nice and tidy? Clothes washed?"

"Yes Mom" Aurora said a little impatiently "I told Sean and Luther I'd meet them at two it's almost three now"

"Yes and what time are you supposed to be home?"

"Nine even though it's Saturday"

"We have to be at church tomorrow that's why" Jacquelyn said, "your nephew is getting baptized"

"Oh" Aurora said as her mother was referring to her oldest brother Victor Jr's son

"Does that ‘oh' tell me that you haven't ironed your dress yet?"

"Mom do I have to?"

"Yes you do Aurora we're going to church" her mother said "you've known about that for weeks now"

"Dad please?"

"Your mother is right Rory" Victor said "as soon as you get home tonight you iron that dress"

"Yes Dad"

"Alright sweet pea have fun"

"Bye!"

Jacquelyn looked over at her husband and he smiled to which she shook her head

"Of all the presents she got for her birthday last month that dirt bike you got her always takes the cake"

"She's a good kid" Victor said, "she deserves it"

"Yes well she's thirteen now" Jacquelyn pointed out "you're going to have to be a little more stern with her she'll be a teenager for the next six years now after all"

"We've been through the teen years before" Victor said "are you forgetting our oldest child is now twenty-one with a child of his own making us grandparents already?"

"Yes but this our first time dealing with a teenage daughter that's a whole different ball park you know" Jacquelyn replied "I know you still think of her as our ‘fourth son' but she's getting older now"

As soon as Jacquelyn said this she came across a letter from Aurora's school addressed to her parent and or guardian.

"What's that?" Victor asked watching his wife open the letter "Rory's not in trouble is she?"

"I don't think so" she replied "it's a permission slip it was addressed on Aurora's birthday a few weeks ago too"

"For what?"

 

April 30th, 2000

Dear Parent/Guardian of Aurora Campbell

As a part of the seventh grade health education curriculum your child will soon receive a unit of lessons on sex education and puberty during the week of May 15th through May 19th, 2000.

The purpose of this upcoming unit is to provide knowledge and understanding of physical and emotional changes that occur during puberty.  The program will educate them on the role of the endocrine glands during puberty, male and female anatomy and the normal physical changes that occur in both genders, and good health habits. 

 

Each gender's class emphasizes same-gender information, but also includes factual information about the opposite gender.  Throughout the class and video presentation students are encouraged to talk to a "trusted adult" during adolescence to answer their questions.  

 

The students are encouraged to continue discussion at home.  The class is designed to make your child aware of and comfortable with the changes that are occurring to his or her body.

 

Parental permission must be granted for student participation in dealing with sex and puberty education.  Students not participating will work on activities in another area.  We ask that you sign and return the portion below by May 8th if you approve participation.  No student will be permitted to attend unless written parent permission is received. Return permission form to your child's teacher by May 8th 2000.

 

Thank you for your continued interest and support in your child's activities.

 

 

_______________(Child's name) may take part in the Sex Education/Puberty Program. 

 

_______________(Child's name) may not take part in the Sex Education/Puberty Program.

 

 

Parent/Guardian Signature        

 

"Nope" Victor said immediately going into over protective father mode

"Victor you can't be serious" Jacquelyn said giving her husband an amused look

"I am serious she's not old enough" he said

"But she's old enough to have a dirt bike" she said "she's probably already going through puberty you know girls develop earlier than boys"

"Speaking of boys I guess I have to watch Sean and Luther now"

"Oh Victor stop that" Jacquelyn chuckled "those three have been friends since kindergarten if there are any boys you can trust it's those two"

"So I guess that means you're going to sign yes?"

"I am" Jacquelyn replied "and if our daughter has any questions and I mean any she can talk to either one of us.

 

"Get me off this thing!"

"You got it Luther!" Aurora called out to her friend

"Where are the breaks?"

"On the handles!"

Luther then came to a screeching halt and practically wobbled his way off of the dirt bike as Aurora and Sean chuckled.

"You have fun man?" Sean asked as he took off the helmet

"I'll stick to football" Luther replied, "at least I have control of my body doing that"

"I know this bike like the back of my hand" Aurora boasted "and I've only had for two weeks"

"Yeah well I like my own bike just two wheels no gas petal just fine" Luther insisted

They all laughed

"How about we come out here tomorrow afternoon?" Sean suggested, "Luther and I will bring out bikes and we'll see who's faster"

"We already know that I am" Aurora boasted "oh wait---actually I can't I forgot my nephew is getting baptized tomorrow at church"

"Yeah but church is in the morning" Luther pointed out

"I know but my mom is going to make a huge deal about it" Aurora said "we'll probably have food and family at our house afterwards she goes all out for her precious grandchild"

"How old is your nephew anyway?"

"Six months" Aurora replied "I don't think he's so special he's just like any other baby all he does is cry, poop, sleep, and eat. Adults are so weird about babies they're so boring. My sister-in-law acts likes she the only woman to ever give birth"

"I know what you mean" Luther said "my older cousin just had a baby and that's all he does too but apparently she's a woman now"

"That's so dumb" Aurora rolled her eyes "why does having a baby suddenly make you a woman?"

"Beats me" Luther replied, "I'm not a girl I wouldn't know"

"Aw shucks Rory why do you care anyway?" Sean chuckled "you keep saying you should have been a boy in the first place"

Aurora smiled at that

"You're right how about we come back out here next Saturday?"

"Deal"

 

"Victor Anthony Campbell III, I baptize you in the name of the Holy Ghost, the Holy Spirit, and the Holy Family"

By the way her nephew was screeching when the reverend flicked water on his little face; Aurora was sure he didn't want to be baptized in the name of anything.

Yet she, her brothers including Victor Jr and his wife Kimberly, and their parents all stood around in the altar to watch the scared ceremony.

"Shh it's alright little man," Kimberly whispered kissing little Victor on the cheek.

"Mom can we sit back down now?" Aurora whispered

"Shh just a little longer" Jacquelyn replied

Aurora bit her lower lip because she knew if she rolled her eyes she'd get in trouble

"I'd like to welcome Brother Victor Antony Campbell III into our church family" the reverend chuckled "judging by the name trend I'm sure he won't be the last Victor Anthony either"

The congregation laughed as they appauled the Campbell family. Aurora hoped that this would be a signal for them to sit back down. She could already see the girls from the youth group pew laughing at her because of the dress she had on today.

Aurora hated those girls between them and girls in her class at school she didn't have any female friends her age. They always made fun of her and how she didn't like all the things that girls traditionally like.

The service was long enough already and just like she had predicted her mother was inviting people back to their house to celebrate Victor III's baptism right after service. It also didn't help that it was Mother's Day as well so Aurora was pretty much doomed to wear her light green sun dress for the remainder of the day.

"Ohh Jackie let me get a look at that grandbaby!" one of the church ladies squealed coming over to Jacquelyn and Kimberly

"Isn't he precious?"

"He sure is" Jacquelyn said proudly "he's the first of many grandchildren I'm sure since Calvin is engaged too"

"Little Calvin?" she asked shocked "no way isn't he only nineteen?"

"Yes he's only two years after Victor Jr which is why his engagement is going to be a little longer" Jacquelyn replied

"And Maurice?"

"He's still in high school" Jacquelyn chuckled "I can't let all my babies fly the nest at once"

"And your baby girl? Where is she? You know she should wear dresses more often it's very becoming of her"

"Oh well Aurora has always been free spirited it comes with having three older brothers and a nephew now"

"There she is!" the church lady Ms Fowler called out to Aurora who was standing next to her father "come here child!"

"Dad..."

"Go on Rory" Victor said as he continued to talk to the men on the deacon board "you know you're supposed to respect the church ladies"

"Yes Dad"

"Aurora Campbell I do declare you look very beautiful this morning that dress just gorgeous" Ms. Fowler beamed. Aurora looked at Jacquelyn like the woman was crazy and her mother gave her a stern look.

"Thank you Ms. Fowler" Aurora said reluctantly

"You're becoming a lady that's for sure how old are you now?"

"Thirteen"

"I guess that means no more running around like a little boy"

"I call it having fun Ms. Fowler," she said as politely as she could

"Honey how are you going to get married and have a baby one day like your beautiful sister in law?" Ms. Fowler asked, "young men aren't looking for rowdy little tomboys to marry; you'll have to be ladylike eventually"

"Maybe I don't want to get married or have a baby," Aurora said simply and Jacquelyn pinched her arm for being rude

"You'll change your mind one of these days all little tomboys do"

"Not me"

 

"Aurora you're grounded" Jacquelyn said later that night as Aurora was reading one of her X-Men comics "no dirt bike riding for the next week"

"Why?"

"Because you were rude to Ms. Fowler when it wasn't needed"

"I don't like that old witch anyway" Aurora grumbled "why can't she mind her own business? Who does she think she is anyway?"

"She's a church elder and you are to talk to her with respect"

"But Mom---"

"No buts young lady" her mother said firmly "you may not agree with everything Ms. Fowler says and that's fine but you are to respect her understand?"

"Yes Mom"

"Also make sure you give this to your teacher tomorrow" Jacquelyn said giving her daughter the signed permission slip

"Aw Mom you didn't sign this did you?"

"Yes I did"

"But Mom those lessons are during gym class" Aurora argued "I'm not missing basketball time to talk about sex; I already know what that is"

"Do you?"

"Yes" Aurora said grossed out "it's how Victor Jr got Kimberly pregnant with little Victor"

"You say that like it's a bad thing" Jacquelyn said "sex is normal Aurora it's how you came to be too"

"I like to think that I was conceived like Jesus" Aurora said sarcastically

"Well I can assure you that you were conceived the regular way----"

"Ew! Not listening!"

"Lord if you aren't your father's child" Jacquelyn chuckled "you know your father didn't want you to participate in the class"

"Good" Aurora said, "that means Dad knows gym class is important"

"Yes gym class is important but so is this; you're growing up Aurora physically as well as mentally" her mother patiently explained "and sex is a bit more complex than you think"

"I guess" Aurora said wanting to get back to her comic book

"Remember how I took you to get your first bra a year ago? You're already going through changes now"

"I don't like it" she said "it's bad enough I have to wear those things now I have hair growing in weird places"

"You're transitioning from a child Aurora it's normal"

"Unless I'm becoming a new mutant recruit for X-Men I'm not interested" she said stubbornly "I don't ever want to have sex or fall in love or have a baby or whatever"

"Tell you what let's just focus on finishing seventh grade" Jacquelyn chuckled "all of those other things will come with time"

"Can ride my dirt bike again?"

"The following week yes; you're still grounded remember?"

"Yes Mom"

 

"No fair Rory!" Luther called Aurora out as she dribbled past him "pass the ball!"

"You're too slow Luther you're going to have to move faster than that!"

"I got her Luther!" Sean called out

Aurora dodged Sean trying to take the ball too and jumped to toss the ball in the hoop. All the other boys groaned too but Aurora just laughed, as it was the sixth game of one on one she won in a row.

"Nothing but net!"

"Yeah okay Michael Jordan lucky shot" Sean laughed  catching his breath

"You mean lucky six shots"

"Aurora Campbell!"

Aurora froze when she heard the Health Education teacher call her name

"Yes Miss Jacobs?"

"What are you doing here?" she asked "you know you were supposed to report to the Health room right now with the rest of the girls"

"Aw c'mon Miss Jacobs" Luther joked tossing the ball at her, "you know Rory is one of the guys"

The boys all laughed but Miss Jacobs didn't find anything funny and tossed the ball back at them

"Young lady unless you want detention you follow me right now" Miss Jacobs said gently but firmly

"Yes Miss Jacobs"

Aurora looked back at Sean and Luther and the rest of the boys sadly; puberty was going to be a trying time if it was already separating her from her best friends.

 

"Any questions girls? How many of you have started to get your periods?"

Miss Jacobs turned off the video and flicked the lights on. Aurora was already bored and was itching to go finish creaming all the boys on the basketball court; she was not at all interested about how the female body bled each month.

Aurora looked around almost all the girls raised their hands

"What's the matter Aurora?" one of the girls teased, "you're not a woman yet?"

"Of course not the way she runs around the boys all the time she probably forgot she's a girl" Sean's bitchy twin sister Sarah added

The girls snickered as Aurora rolled her eyes at Sarah

"If bleeding every month makes me a woman count me out," she replied "I don't know what's more gross this or sex; I hope it never happens"

"I can assure you Aurora there is nothing wrong with you and there's nothing gross about it" Miss Jacobs reassured "you can have your first cycle anywhere between ages nine to sixteen; so you may happen to be a late bloomer"

"I don't want it to happen"

"Well biology says you don't have a choice young lady"

"Miss Jacobs I got my period when I was eleven" Sarah said arrogantly "my mom told me girls that already have their periods are women now isn't that true?"

Aurora rolled her eyes again; ever since kindergarten Sarah always tried to one up her it was pathetic.

"You most certainly are on your way to becoming a woman though I don't think thirteen is grown up Sarah" Miss Jacobs said "physically once you girls start your cycles your body is mature enough to have a baby; that doesn't mean you are ready mentally and emotionally at your age though"

"Miss Jacobs don't boys like girls that have their periods though?" Sarah went on to say "that means she can have his babies"

"Babies aren't everything" Aurora said annoyed

"You're just jealous because no boy would ever dream of having a baby with you"

The girls laughed as Aurora balled her fist and Miss Jacobs quickly put a stop to it

"Miss Sullivan that's something you can worry about when you're a bit older okay"

The bell rung and Miss Jacobs dismissed the class reminding them that tomorrow we would be going into to detail about reproduction and conception; much to Aurora's dismay.

 

"How's the girls' session going for sex and puberty and stuff?" Sean asked as three of them sat in the their tree house the following Saturday; since they couldn't ride bikes

"Boring" Aurora, replied as she tossed a baseball up and down "everyone talks about how they bleed every twenty-eight days and how they'll all have babies and blah blah"

"What do you mean bleed every twenty eight days?" Luther asked

"Trust me you don't want to know I'm glad it's over after Monday" Aurora replied, "what about the boys' session? I'm sure yours is more interesting"

"We just talk about how tall we're getting and how deep all of our voice will get soon" Sean replied "I think Andre's voice is already starting to drop"

"That and he's growing a mustache" Luther added "next he's going to start going around telling everyone how he even has chest hair which I'm not buying"

"Yeah I'm not buying that either" Sean agreed "he said something about a wet dream too"

"A wet dream?" Aurora asked confused "what's that?"

"You don't want to know it's a guy thing" Luther said a little embarrassed

"Are either of you growing hair in weird places?" Aurora asked curiously

"A little" Sean admitted, "that happens to girls too? that's weird"

"Everything is weird now" Aurora said " but no matter how weird it gets we'll always be friends right?"

"Right" the boys agreed

"Hey let's go see that new X-Men movie" Aurora suggested "we're all thirteen now they can't turn us a way from a PG-13 movie"

"Yeah!"

"Last one down the ladder has to buy popcorn!" Luther claimed and the three newly aged teenagers laughed as they all made their way down the ladder enjoying the spring day.

Puberty changes many things but it never changes true friendship












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.