Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


These surely weren't celebratory days - well not as yet. Christmas may have been at the forefront for everyone else but for them there were other more pressing matters than chasing down that elusive gift or deciding upon decorative ideas.

Evangeline shifted her body from one angle to the next a couple of times whilst staring at her reflection in the full length mirror. She perceived herself a prisoner to jeans and sweaters during her stay so today a black dress, leggings and ankle boots worked perfectly. As for her hair, it was styled in a messy bun. They finally decided to venture out instead of being confined to the penthouse awaiting news about a possible DNA match. Trey needed to experience that feeling of Christmas given that he was far away from the comforts of home without the rest of the family. In fact they were all missing out but this was most important. He was a part of them but that didn't mean he was expected to put his life on pause like they were doing.

"Hey mom..."

"Hey baby - how is everything? When are you guys coming home?"

"I'm not sure mom...," she replied honestly. Evangeline never revealed any details to her mom about the real nature of their being in Houston and Lisa taught it best not to pry. "We're all doing fine."

"You look great. Are you guys going somewhere?"

"Yeah...Victor and Trey are already dressed and waiting downstairs."

"I miss my grand baby and not being able to spend time with him."

"You really mean spoiling him," Evangeline smirked.

"That too...," Lisa agreed with a smile. "It's what grandmothers do. I pray you guys make it back before Christmas."

"I hope so too mom. How is Layla doing?" She had hoped to be there for the birth of her niece or nephew but the odds weren't in her favor.

"She's just about ready," her mom chuckled. "I think everything is affecting her but she's trying her best to remain calm and upbeat while Hugh is making her as comfortable as possible. It could be any moment now. Hugh has done enough run-throughs but I'll certainly be trailing behind them with the bags." She laughed.

"Yeah...," she replied softly moving a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Hey you are where you need to be and that is supporting your husband. I recognize whatever you are doing is very important. Don't feel guilty about it.

"I'm not..I just wish I was in both places at the same time."

"Baby I need to go, I think I hear your sister..."

"Don't let her be working you over mom - that's Hugh's responsibility," she teased.

"Well I recalled when you were pregnant..."

"Okay mom, I get it," she giggled. "Take care mom and tell Layla we're thinking about her."

"Will do...bye baby and take care."

 

 

"Let me see now...lip color...hmm maybe a bit of red."

Victor sneaked into the bedroom looking preppy in a grey sweater and dark brown khakis. "Almost ready Beautiful?" he asked placing a kiss by her neck.

A startled Evangeline gasped. "Babe!"

"What? I had to come up here to see if you're ready since our son keeps asking every couple of minutes."

Evangeline protested, "I wasn't taking too long. Just facetiming my mom added to the time."

"Oh...how is everything going?"

"Everything seems okay except Layla is pretty close." She gave her face a once over, wrapped a scarf around her neck. "..There I'm finished..."

She was reaching for her bag when Victor stopped her.

"Evangeline... Sweetheart, hold on." He gave her that look which said and meant so much to her. "As usual you look amazing," he complimented wrapping his arms around her waist.

She encircled her arms around his neck then gave him a sweet kiss. "Thank you Babe." When he didn't let her go she questioned teasingly, "Something else on your mind?"

Victor sighed massaging her arms. "Babe I know this is difficult - not being home and Layla...We should be spending our first Christmas together as a family, in our new home but..."

She silence him with another kiss. "Honey no place else but here and I can't fault you about where our responsibilities lay right now."

"My thoughts are here with you and Trey as well. Don't doubt that," he stressed then embraced her. "Through all our years together, you have kept me sane. You entering into my life has been more than a blessing."

"And you have added so much to my life. Hey we better get going before Trey drives Paul up the wall."

"Yeah he is anxious to get going and it looks like Paddington isn't coming along."

Evangeline seemed surprised an paused. "Our little boy is growing up. Soon he is going to be three years old and going off to school. I'll probably shed a few tears on that day."

"Me too..."

"It didn't seem that long ago when I held him in my arms - counting his little fingers, toes." The two stood quietly for another minute or so with Evangeline reflecting and Victor wishing he was a part of it. "We need to talk to him about his big brother."

"I don't know how and part of me is scared."

"Don't be. We'll figure it out together."

They each wrapped an arm around the other's waist and strolled out.

 

 

Experiencing the joy of the holiday season through the eyes of a child can push aside the realities of life for a short while. Trey was having a great deal of fun jumping around at the trampoline park and his eyes beamed at all the amazing toys. They managed to get a little shopping done inside the Galleria - picking up some gifts for the family along with taking a few pictures with Santa. It's signature Christmas tree was an added bonus. Trey tilted his head back as far as he could and he still wasn't able to view the top - Wow. In the evening they planned on going to Santa's play land to ride in the North pole express but for now it was time to enjoy some hot chocolate and Christmas cookies at Artisan Chocolat.

Victor remarked, "I may need to sample one of their famous chocolate brownies."

Evangeline raised an eyebrow. "As if the cookies weren't enough."

"Babe its Christmas."

"Mommy I sleepy."

"You should be after all the running around you were doing. Did you enjoy yourself Baby?"

"Yes mommy," were the last words he said before snuggling in his mother's arms and closing his eyes.

Before Victor could place that order, his phone started ringing.

This may be it, Evangeline thought as she gauged Victor's initial reaction. He stared at the phone with a surprised look before answering.

"He-Hello."

"W-What...He is...He's alive..." Victor face paled and his hands started trembling. This was the news he anxiously awaited for so many years. "It's true..It's finally real!" It overwhelmed him. He dropped the phone on the table, got up and hastily retreated towards the exit.

"Hello...Mr. Lord...Hello."

Evangeline stared at the phone sitting conspicuously at the center of their table.

"Hello..."

She felt her pulse racing as she nervously picked up the phone. "This..." She cleared her throat. "This is Mrs. Lord. Is Victor's son is alive?"

"It's true Mrs. Lord and and I'm trying to arrange a court hearing as soon as possible. You knowhow difficult it is during the holiday season."

Which would mean... Tears started streaming down her face and she needed to take a moment to collect her thoughts. She had been there for all of those emotional draining setbacks - being his shoulder to cry on. She could only imagine what Victor was experiencing right now. Gazing down at Trey, it suddenly became real. Life for them was about to change once again. Soon you'll have a big brother and little cousin. This is such a Christmas blessing...

"Mrs. Lord..."

"Sorry...Mr. Newman I just want to thank you for all you've done for my family especially Victor. You really don't understand how much this means to him. I'm sure my husband will reward you handsomely."

"Thank you too Mrs. Lord. It's been a privilege. Even though it took a long time, it's great to see your family will finally be reunited. Once everything is set up I'll give you a call."

 

 

Once outside the cafe, Victor shouted a couple of times causing a few people to stop and stare but it didn't matter. A wave of emotions suddenly engulfed and he had to lean up against the building just to catch his bearings. He felt weak, numb. It didn't seem altogether real. Soon he would see his son...his son! Thank you...Thank you, was his silent prayer in gratitude.

"Babe..." Evangeline came into view and he embraced her tightly shedding a few more tears.

"Even though I believed he was alive...I never thought this day was possible." When Trey started to stir, he took him into his arms. Evangeline stroked his hair and dried his tears. "I knew marrying you would do a world of good," he managed a chuckle. "I love you so much Sweetheart and I love our family."

"I love you too Babe."

"Oh my phone? Newman..."

"I have it here. Newman is arranging a court hearing and will call with the details. Of course we will need to see him before..."

"Another court hearing?"

"I'm sure it's an emergency permanency hearing. Since your son is in state custody this is necessary. The judge will ask you certain questions but we will be prepared. There is no way you will be leaving that hearing without gaining full custody of your son."

"Our son," he corrected. " Wow...Evangeline can you believe it."

"Yeah for the first time I can."

"I just want to hold him right now, tell him how much I love him and I never chose to be separated from him."

"You'll get that opportunity soon enough."

"Let's go but I think you'll need to drive. My excitement is still way up there."






Chapter End Notes:

 

I believe I have a one or two chapters left not sure but we'll see. Thanks to all my readers and reviewers for the support!!!!







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.