Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Thanks so much to everyone who read and reviewed by story and a special shout ot and thanks to SARAH who always gave me massive support and incite. Reviewers like you are what enable fanfic writers to continue on. THANKS!!!!


"I hate it Evangeline. I hate that Spencer is the monster that got me into this mess and now he is the one responsible for getting me out. He had his fun; dancing all the way to the gates of hell. I should have never stopped searching...that decision will forever haunt me."

"Babe I get it, believe me I do but look at it this way; you have been given that second chance to be in your son's life. If you allow this bitterness to fester, it will not only destroy the family that you love but yourself as well. Let.it.go. not for Spencer's sake but more so for us."

 

Once the court ruled in their favor the Lords were beyond overjoyed - hugs, kisses and more than a few tears were shed. The emotional roller coaster had taken them through many ups and downs that not only tested their relationship but mental fortitude as well. Who could have guessed that this day would finally arrive? Life was certainly about the change - another chapter being written. How would the family cope? The upcoming weeks was going to test how they respond but for this special moment in time only two emotions came to the forefront a nervous expectation and excitement. Today Thomas Michael would be making his introductions.

Victor mentally replayed his son's name as he, Evangeline and Trey waited in the small meeting room which contained a circular wooden table, four padded chairs and a wipe board on the adjacent wall. Paul was already at the airport preparing the jet for their trip back to Llanview.

Explaining the situation to Trey went over easier than expected. Neither were quite sure if he really understood the full implications. In Trey's viewpoint, a big brother meant having a playmate other than mom and dad and that was good enough for him.

"Are you excited to meet big brother?" Evangeline asked Trey who seemed more interested in observing his "daddy Victor" pace up and down the tiled floors.

"Yeah," came his short response. He never saw Victor react this way and it looked strange.

Evangeline twisted his face towards hers. "Don't worry, your daddy is alright. He's just excited to meet big brother as you are."

Indeed, Victor was a bundle of anxious anticipation. How should one react when meeting a son who was forcibly taken away from you for the first time? After all Thomas wasn't a baby and he hadn't experienced those critical milestones that every parent looks forward to. Would he see him as his father? Would he hate him for being absent from his life for so long? Why didn't you look for me daddy?

 

"Mommy when we go home?"

"As soon as this first meeting with your brother is finished, we'll go home," Victor chimed in before Evangeline could respond.

"Yes." Trey raised his hands in the air. "I miss Grammie, Uncle and Auntie."

"And don't forget your baby cousin Josiah."

The birth of Layla and Hugh's baby boy came the day after Evangeline and her mother facetimed. Although somewhat disappointed, she remained excited to meet the newest addition to the family and lay kisses all over those chubby cheeks.

"But he a baby..."

"Don't you like your baby cousin?"

Trey shrugged his shoulders. He squealed when Evangeline grabbed him around his waist then started kissing and tickling him. "Of course, you do."

This caused Victor to stop and smile; enjoying the scene of his wife and son laughing.  A welcomed break from the stress he was putting his body through.

"Mr. Lord?"

And just like that the moment was over. Their eyes turned towards a young lady in her 20s dressed in black tights, grey pencil skirt and black sweater standing alongside a little boy. At first glance, Thomas appeared to be a younger version of Victor; a little over three feet tall with sparkling blue eyes. His strawberry blonde hair had a sophisticated cut and he wore a striped sweater matched with blue jeans. The pictures they had received couldn't compare to seeing him in person.

He tugged on the straps of his backpack a couple of times unsure of what to do next - everyone in the room kept staring at him with wonder.

"That big brother mommy."

Slowly Thomas' hand came up as he shyly said, "Hi dad..."

Victor ran up, snatched him off the ground, pulling him into a tight embrace. When he felt Thomas hugging him back, tears streamed down his face.

"I've missed you kid. I've missed you so so much. I'm sorry it's taken so long for me to find you. You have always been on my mind and in my heart. You are a part of me. Absolutely nothing or anyone is going to take you away from me again. I love you son."

He spent a few more moments holding him before setting him down. Victor shook his head; a part of him still not believing that this was happening.

"Mommy daddy Victor crying."

"Because he's very happy Baby," Evangeline replied doing her best to stay calm not wanting to alarm Trey. "I felt the same way when I first saw you." She hugged him tightly kissing his cheek.

"Let me look at you." He slowly stroked his hair then along his face. "Oh man..." He got choked up. The emotions were hitting him again. He had to regain some control. Thomas gazed at him with a small smile. "Hey, I would like you to meet the rest of family," Victor said amid drying his tears. "This is your mother..."

Evangeline came up and embraced him. "It's so good to finally meet you. We've been hoping and praying for this day to come. Your little brother Trey is also anxious to meet you."

"Hi big brother," Trey said. Without hesitation he strolled up towards Thomas and hugged him. This action warmed the hearts of the adults in the room.

"Trey has a present for you," Evangeline said handing over a gift bag. "Open it..."

Thomas pulled out a brown teddy bear clad in a t-shirt that read "We are Family" with all their first names printed beneath.

"Do you like it?"

Thomas shyly said, "Yes...thanks."

"I'm certain that your father will spoil you with many additional gifts."

"Hey, I've got a lot of years to make up," Victor chimed in. "How about grabbing some lunch before we hit the road?"

Evangeline added, "Sounds good right?" Thomas shook his head in agreement.

"Are you ready to go kid?"

"I'm ready dad."

 

Yet on the plane ride home Thomas became a little quieter which concerned Victor a great deal. When the boys were napping, Victor brought it up with Evangeline who seemed unfazed.

"Honey, he's not judging you. Look at it from his viewpoint. The life you knew before is no longer there. He now has a brand-new family - a new home in a different state..."

He looked over at Thomas sleeping so peacefully with Trey beside him. "Evangeline it's not like I'm Darth Vader..L.uke I am your father...type of deal."

Evangeline giggled.  "At times you can be such a nerd. How many people know this about you?"

"Just for you Babe," he said turning back to her and sneaking in a kiss.

"In many ways you are "Darth Vader". Until a short time ago, you only existed in his dreams. Wasn't your life turned upside down? And it took time for you to adjust imagine what it's like of him. Life is moving very quickly for Thomas and he's just a little boy. It's not that he hates you. On the inside he's very happy but on the outside, he's processing all the new changes. It's like he's been underwater for all his short life and is just now coming up for air."

Victor's heart sank realizing that he was being over analytical, impatient and very insensitive towards his son's needs. He recalled his own journey and the time it took to get adjusted to the "new normal." What in the world must it be like for him?

"You're right...as usual."

"Of course, I am, and don't you forget it," she said snuggling closer. Victor kissed the top of her head taking in her lavender scent.

"Sometimes my impatience colours my judgement."

"You don't have to tell me twice."

Victor grinned sheepishly. "Okay I get it."

She yawned then snuggled closer. "Everything takes time...look at us..." She ended before falling asleep.

Victor was afraid to close his eyes. Afraid that when he woke up it would have all been an amazing dream - married to the woman he adored with all his heart, having a family he never thought possible and now reuniting with a son he truly believed was dead.

"Pinch me...oww.... Evangeline..."

 

"My babies are home!" Lisa shouted after opening the front door.

"Hello mom...," Evangeline said as they embraced.

"Grammie!" Trey pushed his way into her arms. "I miss you." Lisa kissed both his cheeks.

"I've missed you too Trey Bear.  Hello Victor..."

"Hey Lisa..."

Lisa's eyes happened upon the little boy grasping Victor's right hand.

"And who is this handsome little boy?"

"I'm Thomas."

"Nice meeting you Thomas. So are you visiting for the Christmas holidays?"

Before anyone responded, Trey blurted out, "That big brother grammie."

Out of the mouth of babes...Lisa's mouth popped open. "Did my ears hear correctly or is my grand baby misunderstanding something?"

Victor and Evangeline certainly hadn't expected their surprise to come out this way.

"Yes and no mom but we'll explain everything but right now, I'm pretty anxious to see Layla and my adorable little nephew."

A perplexed Lisa replied, "O-okay, everyone is hanging out in the living room."

 

The most Christmas decorations were on display in this part of the home. Stockings were hung along the fireplace and on the mantle, there were candles on each end with a nativity scene sitting prominently at the center. A beautifully decorated Christmas tree stood in the corner with a full stock of presents underneath while Christmas figurines of various sizes accentuated the theme of red and gold.  Thomas' eyes gazed around getting lost in the scene while Trey had to be restrained from running over to the presents.

After greeting each other, Hugh and Layla asked about Thomas and received the same response that Evangeline gave Lisa.

Baby Josiah Hughes was the perfect combination of his parents with smooth caramel skin, grey eyes and wispy brown hair. Everyone got an opportunity to hold him even Thomas and Trey with a some assistance.

"Trey you holding baby cousin."

"Yeah..."

"Good job. See you like baby Josiah."

"Yeah...he like me."

For the most part Baby Josiah was well behaved almost seeming to be studying each person who smiled, talked and gestured at him.

"Looks like there is going to be another lawyer in the family," Evangeline commented as Josiah cooed at her.

"Well like father, like son...," Hugh announced proudly.

"He'll have some of his mama's qualities too. It takes two Baby."

Victor asked, "So how does it feel being new parents?"

Hugh and Layla looked at each other then simultaneously said, "All of the above."

"Sometimes you get so tired that you believe that you can't go anymore but then he cries and you're there to give him whatever he needs. It's so natural. I never believed that was in me until I became a mother."

"Some things that seemed so important before just aren't now, He's our life, our world. He makes us be better. Everyday you learn something new and you look forward it."  

"Never knew what it felt like to love someone immediately, so completely."

"Honey didn't you say those same exact words to me a while ago?" Hugh asked teasingly.

"No," Layla immediately responded then shook her head from side to side with a smile.

"You see how easily you can be replaced."

"Stop," Layla giggled. Hugh kissed her cheek.

 

Soon after Evangeline nudged Victor and he nodded his head.

"Alright we have some unbelievable news to share..."

Victor looked down at Thomas who was seated next to him. He wrapped his right arm around him then said, "Everyone this little boy is my long-lost son."

Lisa, Hugh and Layla were stunned. "Say what?" On cue the baby started crying but his parents settled him down rather quickly.

Lisa said, "The same little boy that you thought was dead."

"The same..."

"We couldn't say anything because for a time there we weren't sure ourselves."

Lisa raised her head and hands to heaven mouthing Thank God saying a prayer.

"How did you find out?" Layla asked.

"That's a story on its own and we can't get into it right now..."

"It's excellent news," Layla remarked. "Congrats." She wiped away a few tears.

"I'm sorry that my father was the cause of it all," Hugh added solemnly.

"Hugh there's no need for you to apology...only biology connects you to that monster...After all you can't choose your parents." Victor took a deep breath not wanting Spencer to affect his mood.

Evangeline stroked his arm. "At first I didn't believe it was even possible but miracles do happen."

"I'm happy you were there by my side sharing this extraordinary moment. I love you Sweetheart."

"I love you too Babe."

"It's good to finally be home.'" He hugged and kissed Thomas on his temple. "It's wonderful to have my son, family."

 

"Come here baby."

Thomas looked up at his father for approval. "It's okay."

Urged on by his father, Thomas slowly walked over to Lisa. He was caught off guard when Lisa took a hold of him and sat him down on her lap.

"Grandmas don't bite so don't be afraid...right Trey Bear?"

Trey sitting next to  Lisa said, "Grammie is the best."

"Being here in this room and surrounded by so many people can be a bit scary." Thomas shook his head in agreement. "But we all want to get to know you because we already love you. Thomas and Trey. T and T."

"Suddenly I don't like the sound of that combination," Evangeline stated amusingly.

Lisa continued, "Thomas you are an important part of this family now and don't you let anyone tell you that this is not so. Victor is your father, Evangeline your mother and Trey your little brother. Hugh is your Uncle, Layla your Auntie and little Josiah your first cousin...."

"And you are grandma," he stated with a huge smile.

"That's Right Baby!" Lisa laughed as she embraced him tightly. "Can grandma get you some cookies and milk?" Thomas eagerly shook his head.

"Me too Grammie..."  

"Come on let's go. All these grandsons...I'm just waiting on you two to have my granddaughter," she said cheekily at Victor and Evangeline.

Victor scratched his chin. "I like that idea a lot." Evangeline merely smiled at him.

 

That night...

Outside snowflakes continued to steadily float downward barely visible through the moonlight and the glow of the street lamps. The ground and trees were swallowed up in a blanket of snow. It created a haunting scene with the surrounding darkness and the echoes of the trees swaying in the wind.

Inside the Lords were getting the boys ready for bed. Until Thomas' room was finished, he and Trey would be sharing a room. Evangeline stood by in the background observing as Victor continued reading I Dare You Not To Yawn putting in his dramatic impressions. Trey was having the time of his life which probably meant that daddy was taking over story time duties from now on.  However, her attention focused on Thomas who appeared to be engaged on a smaller scale.

 

"So, what's your assessment daddy?" she asked Victor while they strolled arm in arm towards their bedroom.

He kissed her sweetly then replied, "He's starting to open up and that's all I can expect for now. It feels pretty amazing."

"I know it does," she said stroking the side of his face. Then she lowered her eyes. "I'm thinking we need to talk to him pretty soon. The good, bad...everything."

"He's just a kid."

"Better us than someone else who doesn't know or understand the full story. We can't keep this from him because the world won't."

"Another thing he has to deal with," Victor lamented.

"It's difficult, I know but there's only so much we can protect him from. Not telling him will be worst on us."

"True," he finally acknowledged.

"His family is here to give him all the support and love that he needs." Evangeline patted his chest. "Remind me again about our plans for tomorrow."

"We're definitely taking the boys to see Vicki...."

Upon entering the bedroom Evangeline eyes came upon a huge bouquet of red roses and white lilies set across their bed along with a note.

 

Thank you for all the joy you bring into my life.

Thank you for being my best friend and wife.

Thank you for expecting nothing but the best of me.

Thank you for always loving me even when I mess up

You are everything and without you life is impossible

 

"Oh Babe..." She turned towards him with tears in her eyes. These heartfelt expressions of his love always made her feel special.

"I did good right?" He circled his arms around her waist.

"You did great. I love you so much."

"I love you more."

"Kiss me already," she said then wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him into a passionate kiss.

When Evangeline suddenly pulled away, Victor asked, "Hey where are you going?"

"Close your eyes. I have a surprise for you."

"Hmm I wonder what it could be?" he asked with a sly smile.

"Open them."

Victor gasped. "No Way! No Way!"

"Well I do need confirmation from my doctor but I'm pretty certain," she said proudly holding the e.p.t test with the word pregnant displayed.

Soon she felt herself being swept off the ground, spun around then lowered to the floor.

"I'm going to be a father again! Oh man...this feeling." For the first he would be able to experience each step of his child's development and milestones. "You have made me the happiest man in the world."

Their lips pressed together into a soft, beautiful kiss.  She opened her eyes to see tears in his gorgeous hues which caused her tears to flow. She flinched slightly as his hand glided across her abdomen.  

"Hey there little one. You are going to be as beautiful as your momma."

"How do you know it's a little girl?"

"Lisa said so and I believe it too."

"Mom radar at its best," she chuckled wiping away her tears.

"This has been the best and greatest Christmas. Thank you Sweetheart." He lifted her up into his arms. "Now it's time for our special celebration," he said before capturing her lips.

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.