Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Author’s note: I strongly dislike Kara Thrace, but I tried to be fair y’all. Key word tried.

 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Several months ago banging on the door viciously tore Kara Thrace from much-deserved slumber. Imagine Kara's surprise to find Dualla of all people darkening her doorstep. Neither woman said a word at first each surveying the other until Dualla shoved papers in Kara's face.

 

"I'm done. That shipwreck is all yours. Have fun."  Dualla declared smiling as she pushed her way into Kara's room.

 

Ah, so divorce papers then.

 

That...was not what Kara was expecting. She thought the smaller woman finally worked up the nerve to confront her about her presence in Lee’s life. Kara had been prepared for the ‘stay the frak away from my man' speech. She heard it often enough and would have laughed in Dualla's face if the lieutenant brought that trite garbage to her doorstep, but divorce? That was out of left field.

 

"You're leaving? Just like that?" Kara asked. She was genuinely surprised but disguised the emotion with unimpressed deadpan sarcasm. "This is your formal declaration of independence I take it."

 

The smile broadened.

 

Kara never thought she'd see the day Dualla pried her claws from Lee's hide. It seemed to go against her nature. Dualla was quiet. She was nice. She was the good little wife men choose to settle down with after they got girls like Kara out of their system. So what if Dualla joined the military? She was from Sagittaron. Sagittarian girls were indoctrinated with that stand-by-your-man/follow-Hera's-golden-example crap from birth. They didn't just leave a marriage after a few stumbles. Everyone knew that.

 

Except Dualla apparently.

 

"Is there a reason for telling me this?" Kara inquired with a hint of amusement in her tone. For Lee’s sake Kara generally left Dualla alone, but, well, little Miss Priss came looking for her now didn’t she? So gloves off.

 

"Who best to share it with than the woman presently fraking my former husband?"

 

The ace Viper pilot smirked. Innocent little Dee was looking for a fight now that she and Lee were history. How precious. It was like watching a yapping puppy nip at her heels.

 

"Oh. My. Gods. The mouse finally roars. You were never his vocal about me before. Lee would have told me. In fact, I brought you up more than he ever did. If memory serves me right the only time your ex-husband expelled your name from his lips was when he was telling me how he'd drop you in a second if I only gave the word."

 

It was true too. That was what made Dualla's flinch all the sweeter. It was gone in a flash but Kara spied it nonetheless. The girl should have stayed in her lane.

 

"I spent a great deal of time in my marriage worrying over just that," Dualla conceded. The heat from mere seconds ago cooled to something almost conversational in tone with only the faintest bit of venom around the edges. She moved closer peering into the taller woman's deep blue eyes, "but then I started to wonder why would you ever say the word? You drink and fight and frak whoever you like whenever you like all while having two grown men battling for the right to fix poor broken Kara. You are living the dream."

 

Kara's grin was now little more than a bearing of teeth.

 

"Sounds like someone is jealous."

 

Dualla circled Kara in a slow leisurely manner never once breaking eye contact.

 

"For a time I was,” She admitted. “But now I have perspective. Now I get to sit back and watch this bad Caprican soap opera with the rest of the peanut gallery. It's a shame popcorn doesn't exist anymore. I suppose I'll just have to console myself with the pleasure of knowing that a happy ending will never be in the cards you, Kara. You're not going to end up with Lee or Sam because you are an irredeemable self-destructive piece of trash and knowing that your downfall will be entirely your own doing makes me feel like the gods aren't entirely unjust."

 

The pair was practically nose-to-nose and Kara was vibrating with fury. Dualla might walk around Galactica like she was Persephone personified, but contrary to popular opinion the woman was a stone-cold bitch. A fact the lieutenant reinforced as she looked Kara up and down in a manner suggesting the blonde had been weighed, measured, and found wanting.

 

Kara's hand balled into a fist eager to knock that smug expression off the lieutenant's face. Dee must have recognized the intent because she lifted her chin defiantly daring Kara to strike out. Well, Kara Thrace was never one to back away from a challenge. She wasn't about to start now.

 

Unfortunately, Kara never got a chance to take a swing because Sam walked in. Dualla's presence in their quarters and the obvious tension between her and his wife made the man stop short. "Kara, what's going on?" he asked glancing at the women warily.

 

The sudden spark in Dualla's eyes, the ever so slight curve of a smile to those lips, shot a bolt of realization into Kara.  The timing of this unpleasant visit wasn't coincidental. She wanted Sam here for this. Her relationship with Lee went down in flames and now she wants to return the favor.

 

"Little Dee here decided to stop by and inform me personally of her divorce," Kara said in a flippant tone to undercut her former rival.

 

"Divorced?" Sam's eyes briefly flickered to Dualla. "You and Lee are divorced?"

 

Wielding her words like a shiv between the ribs Dee said, "Yeah, I got tired of being in a relationship with someone I couldn't trust."

 

Bitch.

 

Kara had had enough. The urge to throttle Lee's bitter ex-wife was strong but Kara fought her anger and managed to keep her temper in check. Getting into a fight with Dualla over Lee in front of Sam would do Kara very little good. Catching Dualla's eye the blonde jutted her chin towards the door. "Thanks for the update. Get out."

 

Dualla, who had plenty to say minutes ago, made no reply to Kara's rude dismissal. Instead, she shot the blonde a knowing looking and parted with a kind smile and suggestion for Sam.  "I'm always around if you ever want to talk."

 

Sam didn't respond. His silence spoke volumes. He was staring at Kara like the final betrayal was on the horizon and that tore her apart. She refused to let Dualla ruin her relationship with Sam. While what Kara had with Lee was messy and complicated, Sam was her husband. She loved him and would never walk away from their marriage. She wasn't like Dee. Kara took her vows seriously and once she explained Sam would understand.

 

 












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.