Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Pride and Logic Chapter 5:

 

“Those people are insufferable,” Nyota complained as she brushed out Gaila’s long red hair the next night. “I am only joining them for the evening meal again because you insist.”

 

“It doesn’t sound that bad, Nyota,” Gaila reasoned. “From what you have told me Shuran has been nothing but kind, as I knew he would be. Commander Spock, well…he is just being a Vulcan.”

 

“What about Nurse Chapel?”

 

Gaila paused at this, before turning towards Nyota and grinning conspiratorially. “I should think that much is obvious. She has it in for you because she is hot for Commander Spock and he could not be the least bit tempted.”

 

“Well, I had gathered that much, Gaila. I am not a complete idiot. Why she has a thing for the Vulcan is beyond me. Going after a Vulcan is always a losing effort. That still does not explain why she was so rude to me. You’ve told me that she has been nothing but kind to you.”

 

“Hmmm, excuse me if I still think that you are a bit thick, Nyota. Christine is pleasant to me because I am clearly not competition for her. Orion charms don’t work on Vulcans. In fact, I think I might be repellant to the Commander sometimes!”

 

“Well, and we all know where your affections lay.”

 

The two girls shared a giggle.

 

“Well, I have not told Christine as much. Still, the point is that Christine views you as competition for Commander Spock’s attention and his affections.”

 

“Gaila, I don’t know why you insist on this issue. Outside of the professional context, I am sure that Commander Spock views me with nothing but indifference, if not contempt. He made that crystal clear yesterday.”

 

“Hey, I did not say that Christine was right…although, I think she is. What matters is that she views you as competition and so she treats you as such.”

 

Nyota rolled her eyes, before changing to conversation to more agreeable topics.

 

“Shuran has been awfully attentive,” Nyota teased as she finished arranging her friend’s hair.

 

“Oh, he has been so sweet. Why, he has dropped by three times today to see if I have improved.”

“Yes, I was there too!” Nyota laughed as she rose from the bed and tucked the covers around Gaila.

 

“Well, I shall be sure to give him reports of your improvement tonight. Why, I bet that you will be well enough to leave your rooms tomorrow.”

 

Nyota made her way towards the common area where Spock, Shuran and Nurse Chapel were already gathered.

 

“Cadet Uhura, I am glad that you could join us again. How fares your friend?”

 

Nyota smiled broadly. “She is much improved. I expect that she will be able to leave her room tomorrow.”

 

“I did not know that you had medical training, Cadet,” Nurse Chapel challenged.

 

“I do not have any medical expertise beyond the basic courses all future officers must take. I was simply stating my personal opinion,” Nyota replied as she suppressed a sigh.

 

“Well, she did look much improved this afternoon. Not that Cadet Gaila was not as lovely as usual, but she looked much recovered. I am pleased that you agree, Cadet.”

 

Nyota smiled at Shuran’s attempt to smooth things over. Gaila was correct, he really was the best of men.

 

***********************************

 

After the evening meal, the party retired back to the common room for entertainment before lights out. Nyota fulfilled her promise to perform by singing for them all.

 

Spock sat in rapt attention, his eyes never wavering from the face of the cadet as she performed. He had been anticipating Cadet Uhura’s performance ever since Shuran’s request the night before. He even found himself distracted from his tasks during the day, much to his displeasure. Spock found that the performance was well worth the mental disquiet he had experienced. While her singing was not perfect, occasionally her pitch faltered slightly, Spock knew that these imperfections would only be noticeable to the Vulcan ear. Despite these mistakes, Spock found himself to be utterly enchanted. When she finished her song, Spock remained still for a moment, still caught by the ecstasy of her voice.

 

Cadet Uhura accepted the applause of Shuran and the reluctant praise of Nurse Chapel with humility and made to return to her seat.

 

“Your performance was quite pleasing, Cadet, despite the slight errors in pitch.”

 

Uhura turned to regard Spock with an unreadable expression. “Thank you, Commander.”

“Cadet Uhura, would you please accompany me in a classical Vulcan song?” Spock requested suddenly, surprising the room and himself by his request.

 

Uhura stood half squatting over her seat, her mouth open in surprise.

 

“Umm, of course, Commander Spock. If I know the song, I would be happy to accompany you. But, we have no instrument. Do you sing as well?”

 

Spock felt his body temperature rise five percent as the cadet addressed him, her large brown eyes fixed on his person with a look of intrigue and challenge.

 

“I do sing, cadet. However, I intended to accompany you on the Vulcan lyre. If you would excuse me for a moment, I shall retrieve the instrument from my quarters.”

 

“I did not know that Spock played,” Nurse Chapel stated in evident confusion after Spock left the room.

 

“That is not surprising,” Shuran replied, “He very rarely plays for others outside of competitions. Why, he took second place in the All-Vulcan Music Competition a few years ago.”

 

Spock did not know what had possessed him to make such a request of Cadet Uhura. He had resolved to pay less attention to the cadet, but found his resolve fading rapidly. After hearing her sing, Spock wanted nothing more than to hear her voice raised in song in his native tongue. From their conversation after her arrival, he was pleased to find that she was as fluent in Vulcan as Shuran had claimed and that she spoke the language with natural ease.

 

He made quick work of retrieving his lyre and soon found himself back in the common room seated by Cadet Uhura as he tuned his instrument.

 

Valdena T’shaukaush,” Spock stated as he lifted his dark eyes to catch those of Uhura. “Are you familiar with the composition, Cadet?”

 

Uhura blinked. “The Passion of Valdena. Yes, I know the song.”

 

Spock nodded and began the opening notes of the song, his eyes remaining fixed on Uhura. Uhura shifted from foot to foot, growing nervous under the Commander’s intense scrutiny. She began to sing, her voice wavering slightly during the first few words of the song. Nyota wondered why Commander Spock would choose such a passionate song to perform. Valdena T’shaukaush was an ancient song written before the teachings of Surak revolutionized Vulcan society. It was a beautiful and tragic song full of emotions as wild and untamed as Vulcan prior to the awakening. Nyota shut her eyes as she neared the end of the first verse, slightly unnerved by the Vulcan’s penetrating gaze. While her courage would normally rise at any attempt to intimidate her in her professional dealings, she found that she was too exposed when she performed to mount a similar defense.

 

Spock continued to watch the cadet as he strummed his lyre. Gone was the nervousness of the opening lines. Her voice was strong and sonorous, swelling and quieting at the appropriate moments as if the Cadet had become Valdena herself, pining for her absent lover and embracing death. Spock had heard the ancient tune performed on Vulcan several times, but it had lacked the emotion and color that made the Cadet’s performance so pleasing. While those performances had achieved near technical perfection, Spock now found them woefully inadequate.

 

After the song ended, a brief hush settled over the room that was quickly broken by Shuran’s rapturous applause.

 

“Upon my word, that was even more lovely than the first song. Spock, you should really consider performing with Cadet Uhura at the All Academy Showcase at the end of the year.”

 

“I do not think that would be wise,” Spock replied somewhat hurriedly.

 

“Why ever not? It would be just the thing. The Vulcan Delegation is due to visit Starfleet at that time. I am sure that your fath…”

 

“I will consider your suggestion, Lieutenant Commander,” Spock interrupted Shuran, his voice possessing an edge that startled his friend. “I will discuss the matter with Cadet Uhura at another time.”

 

 “I will be performing that night with the chorale,” Nyota explained to Shuran, attempting to soothe over any offense caused by the Commander’s brusque manner. “Besides, I doubt that my performance would be enjoyable for the Vulcan Delegation.”

 

“To the contrary, Cadet. Your pronunciation was more than adequate and your performance was quite…fascinating. No one given the privilege of hearing you could come to a less favorable conclusion.”

 

Nyota blinked. “Thank you, Commander.”

 

“Your gratitude is unwarranted. I was merely stating a fact.”

 

Soon after, the party went their separate ways. Nyota remained awake for some time after the others had retired. She could not understand Commander Spock. At one moment he was cold and unfeeling like a typical Vulcan, while a moment later he could be almost human. His request that she perform The Passion of Valenda had been quite a surprise, including the revelation that he sang and played the lyre. She wondered what use music could be to the Vulcan. For Nyota, music was all about the passions and emoting all that was illogical about human society…love, grief, pride, anger and lust. She found Vulcan music prior to the Awakening particularly beautiful because it was so saturated with these emotions. When played by a modern Vulcan, she had thought that all that made the ancient music beautiful would be lost. However, when Commander Spock had played, she found that her assumption had been in error. He played beautifully, so beautifully that Nyota had forgotten she was accompanying the commander she so disliked.

 

Finding that sleep was elusive, Nyota wrapped herself in a standard issue robe and headed to the common room to retrieve her PADD. Since she could not sleep, she would employ her time reviewing the eastern Romulan dialect’s phonetic properties. Upon reaching the common room, Nyota was surprised to find the room already occupied. Commander Spock sat with his back to the door, his head bent as he played his lyre. Intrigued, Nyota quietly leaned against the wall by the doorway in the hopes that her presence would go unnoticed. The Commander had changed out of his uniform and was dressed in the all black standard issue pajama set of a fitted t-shirt and loose fitting pants. In the dim light of the room, Nyota thought that the black garment suited him. She did not recognize the song that the Commander played, but it was a gorgeous composition. She shut her eyes and leaned her head back against the wall as she let the sounds sweep over her. The melody was complex and soothing, featuring intricate finger work that relied on plucking the strings rather than strumming. Nyota found herself so relaxed and in tune with the music, that she began to hum along quietly.

 

“Cadet, the hour is late. You should be resting along with the others.”

 

Nyota opened her eyes with a gasp. She had not realized that the Commander had finished his playing and set aside his instrument.

 

“Commander Spock! I…I could not sleep and came to retrieve my PADD. I did not mean to disturb you.”

 

“There is no need to apologize. Your presence is neither disturbing or unwanted.”

 

Nyota nodded. She found herself unaccountably flustered in the Commander’s presence. She looked down to escape his inquiring gaze, only to encounter the Commander’s bare feet, pale olive against the dark floor. Nyota found them strangely beautiful before realizing the absurdity of admiring the Commander’s feet and returning her gaze to the Commander’s face.

 

“Commander…”

 

“Spock. As we are in an informal setting, it would be acceptable to relax formalities, Cadet…”

 

“Nyota,” she blurted out without thinking. “You can address me as Nyota.”

 

Nyota thought that she saw a strange glint in Spock’s dark eyes, a brief flash of pleasure. Surely, the late hour must have addled her brain.

 

“Wh…What was that song that you were playing? It was very beautiful. Is it another ancient Vulcan composition?”

 

Nyota thought she saw another glint of pleasure in Spock’s eyes before he answered.

 

“It is a Vulcan composition, but it is not ancient. I wrote it, Nyota.”

 

Nyota felt a strange shiver of pleasure at the sound of her given name on Spock’s tongue. His soft near baritone voice seemed to caress each syllable. Nyota shook herself mentally once again. Maybe she ate something strange that afternoon that was not agreeing with her.

 

“It was a gorgeous melody. Does the song have a name?”

 

Spock eyes darted suddenly to a point to the right and behind of her. In the dim light of the room, Nyota thought she saw the tips of his ears flush green.

 

“It is a recent composition that has yet to be given a name.”

 

Silence settled between them until Nyota found herself growing nervous once more. She lightly stepped around Spock to run her fingers over the lyre.

 

“It is a lovely instrument. The woodwork is very fine. It so rare to find things that are handmade these days,” Nyota commented as she fingered the intricate stone inlay that decorated the neck of the lyre. “May I?”

 

Commander Spock nodded his consent, his gaze once again intense. Nyota sat down in the still-warm seat that Spock had vacated and lifted the instrument onto her lap, mimicking Spock’s posture.

 

“If you would allow me,” Spock stated as he stepped behind her and lightly grasped her hands to adjust them to the correct playing positions. Nyota swallowed a gasp at the unexpected heat of his hands upon her own. “It is very difficult for a Terran to master the Vulcan lyre. While it may appear to be similar to Terran instruments, the proper Vulcan playing technique is quite different.”

 

Nyota lightly strummed the instrument, testing each string and finger combination as she listened closely, her eyes shut in concentration. After a few minutes of producing seemingly random notes, Nyota was able to produce a very simple melody.

Spock’s brow rose in surprise.

 

“‘Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star,’” Spock murmured. “Fascinating.”

 

Nyota frowned slightly. “I know it is just a silly Terran children’s song, but it seemed easy enough to play.”

 

“You mistake my meaning, Nyota. While I have never heard the lullaby performed on the Vulcan lyre before, your ability to play even the most basic of melodies without prior lessons is impressive.”

 

Spock’s breath caught in his throat at the dazzling smile Nyota threw his way. While he had observed the Cadet smile at Shuran or her friends, she had never before granted him such a sincere smile. A warm feeling blossomed in his chest and quickly diffused throughout all of his limbs. Spock found himself desirous to elicit as many smiles from Nyota as possible in the future.

 

“Thank you,” Nyota replied, ducking her head and biting her lip in a manner Spock found captivating.

 

Another silence settled between them before Nyota quit her seat and reverently set down the lyre. She turned to the table and plucked up her errant PADD.

 

“Well, I have what I came for,” Nyota stated somewhat hurriedly. “I should bid you…”

 

“Nyota,” Spock’s voice cut off her farewell and stopped her retreat. “I have given Shuran’s suggestion that we perform together more thought. While I feel that performing at the All Academy Showcase would be inappropriate, especially given your previous commitment to perform with the Academy Chorale, a performance for the Vulcan Delegation would be more than acceptable. Starfleet is holding a banquet in their honor at the conclusion of their visit. If it would be agreeable to you, I would be honored to perform with you at the banquet.”

 

Nyota stared at Spock, her mouth slightly agape in surprise. Performing for the Vulcan Delegation and before the top brass of Starfleet was a great honor as well as a daunting task.

 

“If you possess any anxiety over your abilities, let me assure you that your performance is more than adequate. We could schedule a series of practice sessions during the next term in preparation.”

           

“I…I…Can I have some time to think about it?”

 

“Certainly,” Spock replied with a nod of his head.

 

“Thank you, Commander…I mean, Spock,” Nyota replied in a rush before offering Spock another bright smile. “Goodnight.”

 

“Goodnight, Nyota.”












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.