Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.



 Pride and Logic Chapter 6

Gaila had sufficiently recovered by the next day that she was able to leave her quarters, although she spent most of her time in the common room putting the finishing touches on her final paper. Her professors had been sympathetic of her illness and granted her an extension until after the start of the winter quarter. However, Gaila was anxious to be done and worked diligently to complete her work in order to have as much time to enjoy the company of Lieutenant Commander Shuran while they remained off campus.

Nyota took the opportunity to walk around the perimeter Theta Sigma outpost. There was not much to see. Theta Sigma was a small planetoid with a rocky terrain that had little flora or fauna other than a few species of grasses. The air outside was breathable and the climate was warm and dry, a pleasant difference from the cool humidity of San Francisco. It was pleasant to stretch her legs and feel the warmth of the sun on her face and extremities. Nyota walked for over an hour, her thoughts moving from her anticipation of the final two quarters of her first year at the Academy, her plans for the summer break to Commander Spock. Gaila would have been delighted to learn the last turn of Nyota’s thoughts. While Nyota still did not credit Gaila’s assertion that Commander Spock was attracted to her (“Wake up and smell the pheromones, Ny!” had been her exhortation that morning after Nyota had told her about the night before), she was beginning to admit to herself that Spock was not as terrible as she had previously thought. He was a puzzle to her. He usually appeared so detached and condescending, yet last night she had glimpsed a side of him that almost made him appear human.

Having completed her final paper, Gaila joined the rest of the party for the evening meal. Shuran was sure to place Gaila next to him at the table and made a great show over fussing over her every need. Her water glass was never more than half empty and before she could even voice her desires, Shuran would offer her the salt, pepper, an extra napkin or a extra helping of the main course. Nyota could not help but be amused as she watched her friend engage in animated conversation with the Lieutenant Commander. She looked over at Spock and was surprised to see that his attention was riveted on the couple as well, but he looked far from pleased. His brow was slightly creased and his jaw was tight; it was the closet to a frown that Nyota would expect from a Vulcan. Nyota could not suppress the very pronounced frown that overtook her features at Spock’s display of disapproval.

Gaila excused herself after the meal citing fatigue, much to Shuran’s disappointment. Nyota made to assist her friend, but Gaila insisted that she stay and enjoy herself. Nyota glared at her friend. Gaila merely smiled and cast a quick look at Commander Spock before leaving for her quarters. The party soon broke off to be absorbed in their various amusements. Spock sat editing some reports on a PADD, Shuran tried his hand at kol-toh and Uhura busied herself with reading a copy of the ancient Terran text The Lord of the Rings. Nurse Chapel walked about the room, listless. Occasionally she would position herself behind Spock to read over his shoulder.

“You are so thorough in your work, Commander, I don’t know why you insist on editing your work over and over. I am sure that there is no better writer in Starfleet.”

Spock sighed lightly. “If I am as exemplary a writer as you claim, Lieutenant, it is only because I am disciplined.”

“If you are reviewing the reports from this week, be sure to mention Cadet Gaila’s illness and the medical care I have given her. The reports on the effects of the influenza on the Orion system…”

“Yes, Lieutenant, I have already included Cadet Gaila’s illness and the medical response in the report. I have also included a note regarding Cadet Uhura’s role in Cadet Gaila’s recovery.”

Nyota quirked a brow at Spock’s mention of herself. She had to swallow a laugh at the look of pique that crossed Nurse Chapel’s face. Nyota wondered if Spock had brought her own name into the discussion merely to annoy Nurse Chapel into speechlessness. If so, his attempt was a complete failure.

“How quickly you work, Commander. I am sure that I couldn’t read half as fast as you.”

“My work will proceed more quickly if you cease your interruptions.”

Uhura had to smother another laugh over Nurse Chapel’s attempts to gain Commander Spock’s attentions and his repeated rebuffs. Soon, Nurse Chapel left Spock to his work, as he desired, and took to walking about the room.

“Uhura, won’t you join me in a turn about the room? It is quite refreshing, especially after sitting so long in one attitude.”

Nyota set aside her PADD and regarded Chapel with a wary look. She was surprised to be addressed in such a friendly manner by Nurse Chapel. However, as she found that her back had grown stiff from sitting so long during the day, Uhura consented and joined Nurse Chapel, who threaded her arm through hers as they walked. After a few turns about the room, Nurse Chapel addressed Commander Spock.

“Commander, won’t you join us?”

Uhura looked over to where Spock was seated and was surprised to find that he had abandoned his PADD and turned his seat to watch their progress about the room.

“I believe that it would be illogical for me to join you. My desires and your own would be best served by my remaining seated.”

“Why, whatever can he mean,” Nurse Chapel gasped as she continued to walk the room.

“I fear we would be better off not knowing,” Uhura replied with amusement.

“I will oblige you with a reply, nonetheless,” Spock replied, arching his brow in a manner that Nyota could not help but find appealing despite her better judgment. “You can only have two purposes in engaging in such an activity. Either, you mean to discuss some private confidence or you are aware that your figures are displayed to best advantage by walking. In the first, your purpose would be spoiled by the addition of myself to the party. In the second, I have a most satisfying view of the proceedings from my current position.”

“Commander! How should we respond to such a statement, Uhura?” Nurse Chapel tittered.

“Heavens if I know. Perhaps we should tease him. Laugh at him,” Nyota replied as she watched Spock with her hands resting on her hips. Spock returned her gaze, a slight grin turning up the corner of his mouth.

“Laugh at Commander Spock!” Nurse Chapel replied with genuine horror. “Commander Spock is not a man to be laughed at.”

“Then that is a tragedy, because I love to laugh.”

“Nurse Chapel has made an overstatement. Indeed, any person may be made an object of ridicule by a person whose primary focus in life is mockery.”

Nyota observed Spock with a wry smile. “I must agree with you, Commander Spock. There are such people whose primary object in life is a joke, but I hope that I am not one of them. I never laugh at what is wise or good. Inconsistencies, quirks, eccentricities, and foibles…in these I find amusement. Life would be dull without deriving some humor from such things. However, I suppose that you lack such faults, Commander?”

“As a Vulcan, I have made it my purpose to avoid such weaknesses of character by becoming a student of logic.”

“Weaknesses such as pride?”

“Yes, Cadet. Pride can be a weakness where pride is undue. However, where there is a real superiority of mind, pride will always be under good regulation.”

Nyota turned her face from the Commander to hide the grin that tugged at her lips.

Displeased that her plan to capture Spock’s attention had only led her to be ignored, Nurse Chapel spoke up to redirect the conversation.

“I hope that your evaluation of Commander Spock is complete. What is your result, Cadet?”

Nyota smiled at Nurse Chapel before turning towards Spock. “By his own admission he is a Vulcan without fault.”

Spock’s brow rose in challenge. “I have made no such admission, Cadet Uhura. No man or Vulcan is without faults. Although, I trust that mine are not of understanding. I cannot discount the failings and vices of others, nor forget offenses made towards myself. Some would describe my nature as too demanding or unyielding. My good opinion once lost is lost forever.”

“That is a failing,” Nyota replied, her grin falling. “But I cannot laugh at it.”

“There exists in every disposition a tendency towards some particular failing,” Spock replied, his face impassive.

“Your defect is a propensity to disapprove of everyone.”

“While yours, Cadet, is a tendency to willfully misunderstand them.”

“Well, who would like to join me in a game of cards?” Nurse Chapel piped up, tired of being a third wheel.

All assembled politely declined her invitation and opted to retire to their respective quarters for the night. Nyota was thankful that they would soon be returning to the Academy and that Gaila was well enough as to not delay their departure. Spock was similarly pleased that their time on Theta Sigma was drawing to a close. He began to realize the danger of paying too much attention to Cadet Uhura.












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.