Michelle's First Marriage by PriscillaPal
Summary:

Jimmy Smits/Sanaa Lathan

Michelle Landau is a woman of many secrets. And when Quentin Costa a.k.a. The Carver returns to claim her as a victim, Michelle survives the near attack, but finds that Quentin's defesnse attorney wants to use her past with A.D.A. Miguel Prado against her as part of the defense. Michelle and Miguel are reunited in an effort to stop this from happening. But Miguel's ideas of warding off trouble and hers, are not quite the same...


Categories: Primetime Television Characters: Michelle Landau
Classification: Crossover
Genre: Drama
Story Status: None
Pairings: Michelle/Christian (Nip/Tuck)
Warnings: Adult Situations
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: Yes Word count: 14849 Read: 11834 Published: 06/01/09 Updated: 17/01/09
Story Notes:
I know I have two other series to finish! This story will probably be no longer than two parts. I own nothing!

1. Chapter 1 by PriscillaPal

2. Chapter 2 by PriscillaPal

3. Chapter 3 by PriscillaPal

4. Chapter 4 by PriscillaPal

Chapter 1 by PriscillaPal
BACKSTORY: The last year for widow, Michelle Landau, had been very hard. Once Christian Troy broke up with her and followed his friend, and partner, Sean McNamara, out to Hollywood, Michelle was left with a business that suddenly didn’t seem so appealing anymore.

Michelle was pondering selling McNamara/Troy( the memories of Christian and what she did to her late husband, Burt, were almost too daunting to bear), when she took on a patient she shouldn’t have. And if she had been up on her news, her antennae would’ve been at least up and perched. Hell, if she had had anyone left in that office that at least used to work for Christian or Sean, what happened wouldn’t have happened.

Quentin Costa, formerly known as the serial rapist/killer, ‘The Carver’ had come to her business, asking for some genitalia plastic surgery or something. Michelle, who had hired two new surgeons fresh out of med school, took a cursory note of the case and then retreated into her office.

But later that night, when she was getting ready to leave, the mofo attacked her! Quentin or ‘Mr. Whitelaw’ as he had said his name was, was supposed to be an overnight patient. As she left her office he tried to stick a needle into her neck or something, but Michelle saw him out of the corner of her eye and punched him in the throat! His gag reflex kicked in long enough for her to run out of the offices and down the garage! She jumped into her car and sped off into the night.

Michelle called the police when she hit the highway. They arrived at her house claiming they found Mr. Whitelaw gagging and crying or something on the floor of the offices. It was not long that it was revealed that Whitelaw was ‘The Carver’ returned.

But Quentin got a very good defense attorney. A woman named Ellen Wolf. And when Ms. Wolf paid her a visit at the offices formerly known as McNamara/Troy, she made it clear to Michelle that she planned to make her shady past Quentin Costa’s defense....

****

Michelle twirled her pen absent mindedly in her office. The Carver had tried to kill her last night. Damn.

She thought about calling Christian, considering the bastard tried to kill him too. But she wasn’t ready to speak to him. And really he should be the one calling her. Neither one of them had been perfect but she had given up a lot for him. For him to just walk out on her like he did...

Michelle pulled herself out of her reverie when her secretary, Carrie, walked in.

“Mrs. Landau, a woman named Ellen Wolf is here. She’s The Carver’s defense attorney.”

Michelle slowly stood up. That murdering butcher’s lawyer was here? Why???

“Send her in.” Michelle said coolly, then straightened the designer suit that revealed more than a bit of cleavage, as Ellen Wolf walked in. Michelle eyed her. The woman was mousy looking, but tall. Salt and pepper hair that she should be ashamed of but wasn’t. Michelle also noted that she wore two wedding rings. Carrie eyed the two of them before closing the door, leaving the women alone.

“I’m Ellen Wolf.” salt and pepper hair said, holding out her hand. Michelle thought about not shaking it, but common courtesy kicked in and she returned the gesture. She then pointed to a seat for Ms. Wolf to sit in. But the older woman shook her head.

“I think you’re the one that should sit, Mrs. Landau...or should I call you Mrs. Prado.”

Michelle kept her expression neutral, which was very hard in light of that last sentence.

“Pardon me?” Michelle asked, sitting on the edge of her desk. Ellen smirked.

“Look, Michelle Landau...Michelle Prado, whatever it is you go by. I know about your first marriage...to our now esteemed A. D.A. Miguel Prado. What happens in Vegas can be found online now. Miguel met you when...when he frequented James...your pimp? Anyway, you two forgot to dissolve...”

Michelle slowly slid off of her desk.

“I’ve only had one husband.”

“Right. I’m only going down memory lane here because I plan to vigorously defend my client.”

“Your ‘client’ raped, maimed and murdered people.”

“While you hooked, became part of a kidney stealing ring and became a bigamist. Wow. If you weren’t legally married to Burt Landau then none of this is yours, is it?”

Ellen Wolf was now looking around the office. But Michelle kept her cool. The kidney ring thing...how in the HELL had this broad found out about that?!

“I don’t know what you’re talking about, Ms. Wolf. It’s on your conscience if you can defend that mad man. He’ll probably pay you a ‘visit’ once you get him off.”

“He’s not going to prison on evidence given by you. Your husband...”

“He’s not my...”

“Whatever. Miguel is the A.D.A on this case. Let him know that the woman that thinks she’s married to him, will get quite the shock if all of this comes out in court. Think about it.” Ellen said as she picked up her briefcase and left the office. Michelle closed her eyes. Why did her past just keep getting thrown back in her face? Why?

Michelle walked over and slammed the door, that Ellen had not closed when she left. She then walked over to her purse and pulled out her cellphone. Miguel Prado had wanted to meet with her today so that she could give a statement. Now they would have to talk about much more than that.

****


Actually, Burt and Miguel had been chummy over the years, as Miguel had used Burt’s influence over the years to get to where he had today. He had planned on asking for a donation so he could actually run for District Attorney, when Burt ‘died’. Other than that, Michelle had not had much contact with him. And when she did, it was not uncomfortable or anything. They both instinctively understood that in order to protect the good lives they had now, no one could know of their past association together.

That’s why Michelle was more than a little surprised when she arrived at Miguel’s office to find him friendly. At least with his hands.

He had escorted her in personally, then closed the door. Michelle hadn’t even had a chance to sit down before Miguel pulled her firmly into his arms and began kissing her neck. Michelle was a bit startled to feel the return of her attraction for him. She had felt nothing for for anyone since Christian had left.

But she reminded herself that there was a reason things could’ve never worked out with this particular man. For one, he was married. And secondly...well...in this case, Michelle knew that his involvement with her could be deadly to his case against The Carver.

Michelle pulled away and pressed her hands against Miguel’s chest.

“Miguel, I need to talk to you. Really, I need for you listen to me.”

But Miguel’s hand was already lifting her skirt slightly.

“We can talk later, my sweet. I’ve wanted to be with you ever since you came to your senses and got rid of that...that...puta, Christian Troy.”

Michelle smiled. Miguel called everyone a puta that he hated. She had just remembered that.

“Miguel,” Michelle said, not responding to the Christian comment, “Ellen Wolf came to see me.”

“That puta! What did she want?” he almost growled, letting go of her.

“She knows we were married. And that we forgot to get a divorce.”

“Uh, I did not forget.”

Michelle raised a brow.

“Huh? I never signed anything.”

“You didn’t have to.”

“Miguel! Come on! You’re telling me the truth? You got a divorce without my knowing about it?”

“Does that bother you?”

“No. I mean...Miguel, you know if we’re still married then I lose everything of Burt’s. But honestly, what bothers me more is Ellen Wolf using our past to get The Carver off. I don’t know what to do.”

Miguel reached for her hand and kissed it, just as the door to his office opened and a nerdy looking guy walked in. Michelle pulled her hand away but she could see that the man saw that small bit of affection. Michelle smiled wanly at him and waited for Miguel to introduce them.

“Hey, Miguel, sorry to pop in like this. If you’re busy...”

“No, Dexter. Michelle Landau, Dexter Morgan.” Miguel said in a clipped tone. Dexter nodded, shaking her hand. He then pointed at her.

“You were almost attacked by The Carver the other night, right? Sorry.”

Michelle nodded.

“It’s alright. At least he’s been caught.”

“But he won’t do any time. Not if that puta Ellen Wolf has anything to say about it!” Miguel snarled again. Michelle looked from Miguel to Dexter. She couldn’t put her finger on it, but she got the oddest feeling as if she were missing part of a conversation between these two men. She shook it off.

“Miguel...I mean, Mr. Prado, I’ll come back later.” Michelle began.

But Miguel looked at Dexter.

“Could we hit a few later? I really need to take Mrs. Landau’s statement now.”

Michelle noted that Dexter gave her a strange, quick look, as if he had caught on to the fact that her and Miguel were not just meeting for the first time now. But he covered.

“No. Not at all. Mrs. Landau, it was nice to meet you. I wish it had been under better circumstances.”

“It was nice to meet you, Mr. Morgan.” Michelle replied.

“Call me, Dexter.” he said.

“Yes,” Miguel echoed, “call him Dexter. Dexter, I’ll see you later.”

Dexter nodded to Miguel and left the office, closing the door behind him. Michelle turned back to Miguel.

“What was that all about?”

“What was what all about?” Miguel asked, his face softening as he stared at her.

“Come on, Miguel! He’s...kind of...I don’t know...’Opie Like’ to be one of your friends.”

“No? You don’t think that I could’ve suddenly become well rounded?”

“Miguel, this is not about your being well rounded. The guy is just...I don’t know. It’s a vibe. Look, I just came by to warn you about Ellen Wolf. I don’t think we’re going to have any choice but to just drop this. I’m going to drop the charges.”

“Let’s not talk about this now. How about I come by tonight? Hmmm?”

“Miguel, what about your wife?”

“Michelle, this is just two old friends catching up, alright? I know how hard it was for you after that puta left you, okay? Just a dinner between old friends.”

Michelle stared at him for the longest time before nodding a ‘yes’. But they both knew that tonight would be more than just a dinner between old friends. And Michelle left Miguel’s office, wondering if she was ready to resume a relationship with a married man after all she had been through.

****

Michelle changed her mind. But not in time.

Getting together with Miguel tonight was not a good idea. They had never been ‘old friends’. She was an escort and Miguel took a liking to her...more than once. Things got out of hand in Vegas and that was that.

But she had been unable to get ahold of Miguel to cancel. So Michelle dismissed the servants for the night and fixed the two of them a very, very small meal, so that Miguel would eat and leave.

The doorbell rang promptly at seven and Michelle answered her own door. Miguel was standing there holding a bottle of wine, smiling down at her expectantly. He moved to step in but Michelle blocked his way.

“Miguel, this is a mistake. Maybe we should call this off.”

“Don’t be silly. We need to talk. I saw Ellen Wolf today and she had much to say about more than just our long ago marriage.” he said pointedly.

“Like?”

“Michelle, I don’t want to talk about this out here.”

Michelle sighed and stepped aside so that Miguel could come in. She closed the door after him and gestured towards a terrace. Miguel walked out and looked at the food.

“There’s food here but you wanted to cancel?” he asked, raising a brow towards her. Michelle joined him on the terrace.

“Tell me what Ellen Wolf said.” she said, ignoring his question. Miguel set the wine down and turned to stare out into the night.

“She said she was James’s lawyer.”

Michelle rolled her eyes!

“God, is there any scumbag that woman doesn’t defend?”

Miguel turned back to her and nodded quickly in total agreement.

“I know, I know! Anyway, James left her a letter before her suicide...claiming you were involved in a kidney stealing ring. Is it true?”

Michelle looked away. She was not to admit to anyone that worked for law enforcement, that she used to steal people’s kidneys!

“No. James...she was in love with me. And...well she was the one that was doing it.”

Miguel pressed his lips together briefly before speaking again.

“That takes a very specialized knowledge. How did James learn how to do all of this? Without killing the victims?”

Michelle turned away, shrugging. Miguel reached out and turned her back towards him.

“You once told me you attended medical school. You told me you were working for her to pay off James’s...for her covering your education.”

Michelle turned away again but Miguel once again, turned her back towards him.

“Ellen Wolf is not going to be a problem. Not for much longer.”

Michelle eyed him.

“Why?”

“Just know that Ellen Wolf will not be getting that murdering fu...The Carver off. Now can we sit down and eat? I want to hear all about what made you leave our bed in Las Vegas and marry Burt Landau.”

Ooops, Michelle thought. Yes, that was another thing. The night she married Miguel, she crawled out of bed and went down to the casino, feeling all out of sorts. She was already prostituting herself to get through medical school and now she had married one of her customers. She had met Burt at a blackjack table and they spent most of the night in one another’s company.

Then Burt married her. Early that morning at a wedding chapel. The ink wasn’t even dry on her ‘other’ marriage.

When Michelle had went back to her room to retrieve her clothes, Miguel had left. She just assumed he realized what a mistake the two of them had made and left.

Michelle tore her guilty gaze from Miguel’s probing one, when the telephone rang. She pulled away from Miguel and went inside to answer it.

“Hello?”

“Michelle?”

Michelle froze. It was Christian.

“Michelle? It’s Christian. I heard about The Carver. Are you alright?”

Michelle said nothing at first, then found her voice.

“I’m fine.”

“Good...listen, I was contacted by Quentin’s lawyer. She wants me to come back and testify for that f**k. Why?”

“How would I know that?” Michelle asked, suddenly irritated. He had barely asked her if she was alright and now he was giving her the third degree?

“Don’t give me that, Michelle! This broad...Ellen something or another, plans on using your past to get that murdering bastard off! She wants me to come back and confirm everything! I’m not coming back to help him get off!”

“Or to see if I’m alright, hey?” Michelle asked in a cool voice. She was about to say something when the phone was snatched from her hand and Miguel got on the line.

“This is Assistant District Attorney, Miguel Prado. Don’t call here again.” Miguel said and was about to hang up, when Christian began hissing.

“Who? Michelle, one of your servants is getting cute on the phone...”

“Oh, you think I’m a servant? Let me tell you something BIATCH, don’t call here again or you’ll get a fist instead of The Carver’s dick up your ass, do you hear me?”

“Look you...” Christian began hissing.

But Miguel slammed down the phone! He then appeared to compose himself before focusing on Michelle.

“I’m sorry, my sweet. I could tell he was upsetting you and...”

Miguel was stunned when Michelle grabbed his face and kissed him hard! She then let go of him.

“I really loved it when you called him a biatch.” she breathed and Miguel pulled her to him, holding her tightly as their lips met again for more fervant, passion starved kisses...

****

This is a mistake. This is a mistake. This is a mistake.

Those words rang through Michelle’s head, but her body was feeling something entirely different. She remembered why being Miguel’s escort had never been a chore or anything to dread. And yet, obviously something was missing from Miguel’s relationship with his wife that he referred to as ‘Syl’.

Michelle had sighed with contentment, as she felt the almost cruel pressure of Miguel’s huge cock probing for entrance inside of her. They had not made it to her bedroom or even all the way up the stairs. Their clothing lay in a heap at the bottom of the stairs as the lovers decided that they couldn’t wait another minute to be together again.

Michelle ignored the jutting of stairs digging into her back as Miguel fell upon her, his weight smashing her fully rounded breasts tightly against her heaving lungs. His lips sought hers again, at the moment that he thrust his hips forward and rammed into her soft, hot belly, the long, thick prick that glided into her like a driving telephone pole.

Michelle’s hands yanked at Miguel’s hair, almost tearing it out, as his hands moved to firmly plant themselves beneath her and onto her buttocks, spreading them widely. His cum inflated balls smacked loudly against them.

Someone could see them! Someone could see them! Michelle thought wildly! They were on the stairs in the middle of the mansion...anyone looking through one of the doors or windows...

But that thought was cut off as Miguel slammed into her with a little more force, almost as if he knew her mind had not been on him and their lovemaking, and he had sought to bring her back to the here and now. Michelle’s legs were now wrapped around Miguel’s waist as he filled and emptied her mercilessly. This is what she had been needing since Christian walked out on her. To be with someone, if only for a moment, that not only wanted her, but was starving for her. Their mouths opened and closed simultaneously in response to what was happening between them until finally, they found themselves lost in a raw, drenching animal sensuality, that made Michelle and Miguel both feel as if they were trapped in an endless earthquake.

Miguel collapsed on top of Michelle, spent. Michelle’s breath emitted small, spurts, as if she still could not believe what had just happened. Miguel rolled off of her and laid on his back beside her on the stairs. It was not long before he sat up, uncomfortable with the stairs digging into his own back.

“Ow.” he said quietly, before reaching over to caress her intimate flesh gently. Michelle did not sit up or stop him.

“I was sorry to hear about Burt.” Miguel said in the same quiet voice. Michelle now used the railing to pull herself up.

“He was sick.” was her answer. She certainly couldn’t tell him the truth.

Miguel stood up as well and they stared at one another. Michelle could see real concern on his face and she reached out to touch his cheek.

“I’m fine, Miguel. Really. I think you should leave now.”

Miguel said nothing but nodded curtly. He then sighed before speaking.

“I will take care of this Ellen Wolf business. She won’t be a problem.”

But Michelle didn’t hear him. Not really. She just stared at him. This man, her former lover...husband...whatever, standing proudly before her with bathed in sweat from making love to her in a way that would rival in the most talented of savages. Michelle smiled up at him. She now knew what she had to do.

She was going to sell the business and go somewhere to get her life together. Maybe meet a man that at the very least, she wouldn’t have to lie to.

But it would be two days later that those plans would be put on hold. Michelle would learn of Ellen Wolf’s death at work. Feeling relief, it would not hit her until the middle of the night, when she awoke and sat straight up in bed. Is THAT what Miguel had meant when he kept saying he would ‘take care of Ellen Wolf’? Was it possible Miguel had killed The Carver’s defense attorney?

What Michelle Landau did not realize at the time, was that these were the last days she would be spending with Miguel Prado. That this man she had been married to for a New York minute, had either always been a borderline psychopath, or life had turned him into one. What Michelle would be finding out, is just how far Miguel went to protect their secret, and how Miguel gave a certain Dexter Morgan the mistaken impression that he had taken their secret connection to the grave with him.

END OF PART 1
Chapter 2 by PriscillaPal
It was Carrie who ran into Michelle’s office two days later to tell her to turn on the TV. Michelle, who had just gotten off the phone with with her own attorney over selling the business, frowned and turned on the television by remote.

A woman named Lieutenant Maria La Guerta was giving a press conference...concerning the murder of Ellen Wolf. Michelle, who was sitting in a rolling chair, rolled back a few feet in shock! Ellen Wolf was dead? Murdered? By who?

Michelle perked her ears as if she were about to go deaf, as she listened to the police lieutenant answer a question about Ellen Wolf’s being found in an open grave.

The theory was that Quentin Costa’s crazy sister, who used to work for the Miami Police Department, was responsible for this. Michelle moved her chair to her laptop and put in ‘Quentin Costa’s sister’ under Google.

The Name Kit McGraw came up. She was some British police detective brought in from Scotland yard by the Miami Police Department. Michelle looked at the TV again. She wondered if Quentin’s crazy assed sister used to work with the crew on TV here? But why would this ‘Kit’ kill her brother’s defense lawyer? It made no sense.

Then again, what the hell did she care? Maybe it would make it harder for Quentin to get off with another lawyer. But what had Ellen Wolf told Quentin about how she planned to defend him? Had Ellen Wolf mentioned her past to The Carver?

Carrie walked into her office again.

“A Detective Sergeant Angel Batista is on the line for you, Michelle.”

Michelle picked up her phone. She remembered Detective Batista. He had been at her home the night she was attacked.

“Hello, Detective Batista.”

“Mrs. Landau...listen I would like to go over your statement again.”

“Uh, why?”

“Well I don’t know if you heard, but Quentin Costa’s defense attorney was murdered.”

“Yes, Ellen Wolf.”

“You knew her?”

“No. Not really. She came by to question me but I wasn’t too cooperative.”

“And rightly so.” Angel sniffed. “Anyway, A.D.A. Prado would just like to make sure everything is kosher before he goes after that animal in court. With his defense attorney being dead and all...Mr. Prado just wants to make sure that Costa can’t slip through any cracks.”

“No. We certainly wouldn’t want that.” Michelle said tightly. “I’ll be down in an hour.”

“Good. We’ll be waiting.” Angel said, hanging up.

Michelle hung up as well. She wasn’t that anxious to see the inside of a police station. But she did want to see if Miguel would be there. She wanted to know what he knew about this business of Kit McGraw possibly being Ellen Wolf’s killer. She certainly didn’t want to have to look at that crazy biatch anytime soon!

****

The first person Michelle saw when she stepped off of the elevator at the Miami Metro Police Department, looked vaguely familiar. And yet he seemed to know her.

“Michelle Landau, right?”

Michelle gave him an unsure smile.

“Uh...yes...”

“Oh, I’m sorry. You don’t remember me. Not that I would expect you to. I’m Dexter Morgan. I’m a friend of Miguel’s...we met in his office...”

Now Michelle remembered. Opie. She shook his hand.

“Yes, I’m sorry. I’ve had a lot on my mind. Of course I remember you, Mr. Morgan.”

“Dexter.”

Michelle smiled again.

“Dexter.” she echoed, then looked past him into to a room with police detectives standing around. She saw an office some ways back and looked through the windows, Michelle spotted Miguel pacing around. That woman, Lt. La Guerta was inside as well. She looked upset. Michelle frowned as she saw Miguel help her into a chair. The gesture seemed so personal... familiar.

A strange rush of something hit her in the pit of her stomach. Why? Miguel wasn’t really anything to her. They had had a nice time the other night, but other than that there was nothing between them. So why the odd feeling when she saw him comforting La Guerta just now?

Suddenly Detective Sergeant Batista appeared before her. Michelle almost jumped!

“I’m sorry,” Angel apologized, “I didn’t mean to scare you, Mrs. Landau.”

Michelle nodded slightly.

“It’s okay.”

“Why don’t we go into an interview room?”

Michelle hesitated.

“Why? I thought you wanted me to just look over my statement?”

At that point, Miguel came out of La Guerta’s office. Michelle saw La Guerta close her blinds. A similar movement, of something being opened or closed, caught Michelle’s eye from her left.

It was that Dexter Morgan. He was re-adjusting his blinds so that they were kind of half open/closed. Michelle ignored the movement and focused on Miguel, who was walking towards Angel and herself.

“Mrs. Landau, what brings you down here?” Miguel asked.

Michelle nodded towards Angel.

“Detective Batista wanted to go over my statement, so that we’re sure there is no possible way that Quentin Costa can get away.” she told him. Miguel nodded then looked at Angel.

“Do you mind if I sit in?”

Angel shrugged.

“Not a problem. Mrs. Landau, this way.”

Michelle followed after Angel, only half glancing back at Miguel. He was looking towards Dexter’s office. She noted that Dexter was now peering out from behind his blinds. When they reached the interrogation room, Miguel pulled out a chair for Michelle, who smiled at him before he sat down next to her. Angel was across from them.

“Okay, let’s begin with why you took on Costa in the first place? You said he wanted a genitalia implant or something?” Angel asked, but Miguel’s eyes narrowed.

“I don’t like that type of language. Move on to something else.” Miguel ordered Angel. Angel looked at him as if he were crazy!

“Costa’s lawyer is just going to ask the same thing.”

Michelle rested a hand on Miguel’s arm. Angel eyed them but said nothing.

“It’s alright, Mr. Prado. I’ll answer. Yes, Quentin Costa wanted a penis. He apparently didn’t have one. I guess he was raping people with some kind of fake one or something.”

“Jesus!” Miguel hissed.

“Okay,” Angel said, eyeing Miguel again. “So you didn’t suspect a thing?”

“No. I mean he used a false I.D. and honestly, I don’t think I would’ve known him on the street.” Michelle said pointedly.

“Alright. So then fast forward to that night. You were working late?”

“Yes. Around 7:30 I locked my office and began to leave, when I saw something out of the corner of my eye coming towards me out of the darkness. I screamed and punched at something. I realized it was the man that I knew as Mr. Whitelaw.”

“I’m confused though on what he planned to do with you with a fresh implant? I mean he couldn’t really assault you with it just being stitched on fresh, could he?” Angel asked. Miguel rolled his eyes.

“What is the point of putting Mrs. Landau through this filthy questioning?” Miguel asked tiredly. “Costa’s defense attorney will never be able to justify his actions.”

Angel licked his lips and looked at them both.

“I’m going to just lay my cards on the table: La Guerta was a friend of Ellen Wolf’s. Ms. Wolf indicated to La Guerta that she had information on Mrs. Landau here, that would get the case thrown out of court. Mrs. Landau...you weren’t carrying on with Mr. Costa, were you?”

“Jesus!” Miguel hissed again. But Michelle placed a hand on his shoulder.

“I’ve got this.” she whispered and stood up. She was now staring down at Angel.

“I’m going to pretend I didn’t hear that.”

Angel stood up as well.

“I’m sorry, Mrs. Landau, but none of us want to see that animal go free. We have to clear up the holes in your story.”

Michelle’s mouth dropped open!

“My story has holes? Like?”

“Like why you drove home and called the police...”

“Uh no. I called the police while I was on the highway.”

“Well why didn’t you do it outside of your business building?”

Michelle folded her arms. She could see out of the corner of her eye that Miguel was agitated.

“Is this what this line of questioning is REALLY all about? Or is there something else?”

Angel gave both Michelle and Miguel looks.

“Like I said, we just want to make sure that whatever Ellen Wolf had on you...”

“She didn’t have anything on me. Detective Batista, “ Michelle said in a cool tone of voice, “I will tell you that she came by my office on a fishing expedition. She had a theory that Quentin was in love with my former fiancee, Christian Troy, and that by trying to date me, it would bring Christian back here.” Michelle lied.

“Ms. Wolf told you that?”

“She strongly implied it. By the way, I don’t like your attitude. I won’t be coming back here without my lawyer.”

“Mrs. Landau....”

“Callate, PUTA!” Miguel barked. Michelle closed her eyes. Lord, had Miguel said ‘shut-up BITCH’ to Angel?

Angel began yelling back, giving Michelle her answer. Miguel pointed at Angel.

“Watch yourself. It’s no wonder that you haven’t found my brother’s killer, with sloppy questioning such as that!” Miguel snapped then pulled Michelle out of the room, causing Angel to be all the more suspicious of their ‘relationship’.

Out in the hallway, Michelle took Miguel to task.

“Miguel, did you see the way he looked at us?! He suspects something.”

“And? I’ll have his shield before he can say a word. Plus, I have it on good authority that Detective Batista frequents prostitutes.”

“Oh.” Michelle said. Well, maybe that bit of information would keep Batista in line. She looked up at Miguel.

“What was that on the news about Kit McGraw?”

“Who?”

“Quentin Costa’s sister. Sergeant La Guerta implied that the police were looking at her for Ellen Wolf’s murder.”

Miguel said nothing and Michelle wondered for a moment, if there was something he couldn’t share with her.

“I think they’re looking at everyone. I just told Maria that chances were it was probably one of the dead bitch’s guilty clients, that she helped escape justice, that killed her.”

“Oh come on, Miguel! I mean she’s dead...why call her a bitch?”

“A dead bitch.”

“Okay, whatever! What’s going on with you? I mean she’s dead, so now we don’t have to worry.”

Miguel ignored her question.

“I won’t be able to come over tonight, my sweet. I’m going to be spending time with Maria. Just to make sure she’s alright.”

“Uh, first of all, I didn’t say you could come over.”

“I was going to anyway.” Miguel smiled down at her. Michelle smiled back, just as Dexter rounded the corner. Michelle noted that Miguel suddenly gave him quite the hateful look. Dexter ignored it and walked up to them.

“Hey, Michelle...Miguel, can I have a word with you, alone?”

Michelle looked from Miguel to Dexter. Something was wrong. If Dexter was still Miguel’s friend, he surely didn’t act like it.

“Of course. Mrs. Landau, thank you for coming down.” Miguel said, trying not to look at her as if she meant something to him, but failing miserably. Michelle nodded.

“No problem. Whatever we have to do to make sure that Quentin Costa is convicted.” Michelle said lightly, walking off. She walked down a hallway and took a left turn towards the elevators. She passed Maria La Guerta, who was speaking with a tall, lanky looking auburn haired woman. They both looked at her as she stopped in front of an elevator and hit the ‘Down’ button.

Michelle turned away from the elevator while waiting for it to open, and caught a glimpse of Miguel and Dexter. No. She had not been wrong. Their body language was sneaky, tense and downright hostile...the hostility all being on Miguel’s part. The elevator doors opened and Michelle stepped inside alone, something she was grateful for. Now she could relax. Ellen Wolf was no longer a threat. And while her preferred method of relief would’ve been that Ms. Wolf just drop the idea of hanging her out to dry, death would have to do...she guessed.

****

Michelle would never know what woke her up. Maybe it was the dream.

Or it was more like a nightmare.

Miguel was in this one. Miguel and Ellen Wolf. It involved Miguel carrying Ellen Wolf through a graveyard, then dumping her body in an open grave.

Michelle got out of bed and walked over to her terrace, opening the doors. The night air was cool, as she pondered the dream. It began to disturb her as she realized she couldn’t stop thinking about it. Why would she ever think Miguel would kill anybody, much less Ellen Wolf?

Maybe because Miguel kept telling her that ‘he would take care of things’, and that ‘Ellen Wolf would no longer be a problem’. And then there was this afternoon. Miguel didn’t think that Kit McGraw had anything to do with Ellen Wolf’s death. Then again, when one thought about it, would a woman have been able to carry another woman’s body through a graveyard, throw her in and cover her with dirt?

Not to mention beating, strangling and stabbing that said woman. Someone that could do that was filled with a lot of rage. And Michelle was beginning to get the uneasy feeling that the person that could do that, was the same person that had stuffed her full of cock last night on the stairs!

“Oh, Miguel,” Michelle murmured, “you couldn’t do something like that, could you?”

Muttering those words was the last thing she remembered...besides the sharp jab in her neck. Dexter Morgan let Michelle’s now slack body fall against him. Miguel would not back off. He was planning on blackmailing him with what he knew about his ‘nightly rituals’ and his ‘code’.

He planned to give Miguel Prado one last chance to back off. Making sure that Ellen Wolf’s body would be found had not been enough.

Putting on a show for the Assistant District Attorney might be. And Mrs. Landau would be the star.

END OF PART 2
Chapter 3 by PriscillaPal
    Miguel stepped inside of Maria’s office. It was late and looked as if Sergeant La Guerta was the only one working at the Miami Metro Police Department. Maria’s eyes were still red.

    “Miguel? What are you doing here so late?”

    Miguel emitted a sigh.

    “I didn’t like the way we left things this afternoon.”

    Maria shrugged.

    “You hated Ellen. I get that.”

    “I didn’t hate her per say. But her values were very screwed up.”

    “Truth and justice is screwed up, Miguel?”

    “I’m not the bad guy here!”

    Maria nodded tiredly.

    “I know, Miguel. I just don’t see any point in rehashing this. You want to comfort me but you can’t. I mean you’re not sorry she’s dead...not really.”

    “Where is that coming from? Ellen was human. Or course I care. Maybe I just don’t show it very well.” Miguel said quietly, trying to sound hurt and offended. Maria bought it. She stood up from her chair and walked over to him.

    “I’m sorry.”

    Miguel nodded and reached for both of her hands.

    “As a matter of fact, I want to be kept in the loop on your investigation. I will do everything I can to prosecute the sonofabitch that did this. So...do you have any leads? Besides Kit McGraw?”

    Maria let go of his hands and shook her head.

    “I never really believed Quentin Costa’s sister, killed her brother’s defense attorney. That and...”

    “What?” Miguel asked.

    “I’ve been in contact with Interpol. They have good reason to believe that Kit McGraw is dead.”

    Miguel didn’t like the sound of that! He kept up a cool facade.

    “Dead? Killed by Costa?”

    “No one knows. They’re still trying to identify the remains.”

    “Oh. So I guess she couldn’t have killed Ellen...”

    “No, Miguel. I mean the idea was kind of preposterous anyway. Women don’t usually kill that way. Plus, she would’ve had to have had a lot of strength to lug Ellen through a graveyard...not to mention beating, strangling and stabbing her. We can tell a man did that.”

    “Well...Maria...if Kit McGraw used a wheelbarrow it’s possible, right?”

    Maria looked at Miguel as if he had lost his mind!

    “Miguel! Come on! Even you must know how far fetched that sounds!”

    Miguel was about to counter when his cellphone rang. He pulled it out of his suit pocket and looked at the Caller I.D..

    Dexter.

    “It’s Syl. I have to get going. I’ll come by tomorrow for an update on the search for Freebo...and the skinner case, okay?”

    Maria nodded as Miguel walked out of her open door. He moved quickly towards the elevator as he answered.

    “What?”

    “Miguel, how is it that you have so many women? I mean granted I’m not gay, but you don’t come across as that smooth.”

    “What do you want, Dexter? Did you rethink my offer to break The Carver out of jail and kill him?”

    “No...I’ve already told you that we’re not compatible as a team.”

    “And I think that we are.” Miguel disagreed.

    “I wonder if Michelle Landau would agree with that assessment. She looks...actually pretty good in all of this saran wrap. She should wear it all of the time.” Dexter quipped. He then knew by Miguel’s silence, that he had finally gotten his attention.

    Miguel stepped into the elevator and watched the doors close. He then cleared his throat.

    “And just where could I find Mrs. Landau in this ‘saran wrap’?”

    “Don’t you mean, ‘Mrs. Prado’?”

    “Don’t lay a hand on her, Dexter! Or I will turn you in myself!”

    “I hope you’re ready to turn yourself in then.”

    There was a silence. Dexter broke it.

    “1600 Westerbrook Lane. The house is almost built.” Dexter said before hanging up. Miguel hung up, put away his phone and massaged his temples.

                                                                     ****

    When Miguel reached the community of newly built homes that no one was living in yet, he found the proper address and pulled into the drive. He saw Dexter’s SUV around the side of the home.

    He got out and walked in, until he saw a small flicker of candlelight coming from the room that would probably be someone’s family room when the house was finished. Miguel stepped in to find Dexter yawning. Michelle was out like a light on a circular table that Dexter spun around, most likely for his own entertainment. Michelle was strapped down to it, naked, save for the saran wrap that held her down. Over on the side shelves, was a picture of the late Burt Landau.

    Miguel stopped the table from spinning just as Michelle’s head was near his hand.

    “What is this, Dexter?”

    “A warning. I gave her enough of the drug that she need not ever wake up...here.”

    “And then what? Hmm, Dexter? It looks like you’ve broken your own code. Michelle is an innocent!”

    “I know that your real wife, girlfriend or whatever Mrs. Landau is to you, has a shady past. She’s stolen kidneys and some have gone so far as to say that she might have killed her husband, Burt Landau. So I’d be well within my rights in killing her.”

    “Michelle didn’t kill her husband. He just died.”

    “Right...”

    “He was old, Dexter!” Miguel snapped. “But let’s just say that Michelle did kill him. IF she did, she was driven to it!”

    “Really? How?”

    “It’s very stressful f**k**g someone that old, Dexter! Michelle couldn’t take it anymore, snapped and killed him!” Miguel hissed, his dark eyes glittering with hatred for Dexter.

    Dexter grinned!

    “You can have her, Miguel. But our association IS through. And you’re going to stay away from La Guerta as well.”

    “What do you mean?” Miguel asked. He had begun disentangling Michelle from the table.

    “Exactly what I said. Stay away from her. Stop trying to pick her brain for information on Ellen Wolf’s murder.”

    “And let her find me out?”

    “Stay away from her.” Dexter repeated. Miguel said nothing. This puta wasn’t going to tell him what to do. And he now had an idea as to how he was going to get Dexter back for what he had been pulling lately. Once he freed Michelle, Miguel picked her up in his arms and looked at Dexter.

    “Her clothes?”

    “Sorry. I threw them off a bridge. I didn’t think she’d be needing them again.”

    “You fu...” Miguel began then stopped himself. He carried Michelle out to his car, and managed to open the front passenger side door. He arranged her in the seat, placing a seat belt on her. He then hurried around to the driver’s side and got in.

    “That MUTH*****UCK**** PUTA AZZ****!” Miguel snarled as he backed the car out quickly, then sped down the street. First Dexter let Ellen Wolf be found, putting his very freedom at stake! Then he stole the wedding ring he stole off of Ellen Wolf! He had no doubt Dexter was going to try and implicate him with it! And now he was going to try and block him from trying to get information from Maria?

    This was between himself and Dexter. Both of them could not live with what they knew. Miguel decided that Dexter was going to be the one that should take their secret to his grave.

                                                                   ****

    Michelle woke up the next day and coughed! Something had been in her mouth! Michelle looked at what she spit out in bed. What the hell was that? Some kind of plastic?

    The door to her bedroom opened and Miguel walked in carrying a tray. Her terrace doors were open and a hot breeze was wafting in.

    “Good morning, my sweet. I had your maid fix breakfast. There’s toast and...”

    Michelle tuned him out as she looked down at herself. She was wearing a teddy she used to wear for Christian that she swore she would never wear again! Why hadn’t she burned this thing? And why had she worn it to bed last night?

    “Where did you come from?” Michelle asked.

    “What do you mean?” Miguel asked, spreading jelly on the toast.

    “I mean I went to bed alone last night...no...I didn’t go to bed...I don’t remember...”

    “I came by and you were drunk.”

    “Drunk? Why?”

    “Only you can answer that. I assumed you got some bad news.” Miguel lied. “Look, I have a meeting tonight. Maybe we can meet for lunch, okay? I’ll call you.” he said, touching her face before getting up off the bed and leaving the room. Michelle pushed the tray aside and got up on wobbly legs. She put a robe on and walked out to the terrace, the light hurting her eyes. She could see Miguel get into his vehicle and drive off. Michelle stood and watched his retreating car, before stumbling back into her bedroom.

    Something was wrong. Her last memories of the other night were of....

    Michelle rubbed her neck. Something was sore on it. She walked over to a mirror, moved her hair aside and peered at what was irritated. That was a needle mark! That was it! She had felt some kind of pain in her neck before...nothing.

    Had The Carver escaped and come here to...she didn’t feel as if she had been assaulted. But she knew she had been drugged. And Miguel knew it too.

    Michelle stumbled over to her television set and turned it onto a news station. She saw nothing that said anything about Quentin Costa escaping.

    But there was a report saying that some remains in France had turned out to be Kit McGraw’s. France? Then she couldn’t have killed Ellen Wolf. And if Quentin was still locked up...

    Who had broken into her house and drugged her last night? Michelle shook her head wildly. She was going to drink plenty of coffee then go and see Miguel.

                                                                     ****

    Michelle couldn’t seem to get ahold of Miguel at all. She called his office only to be told he would be in court all day. She called his cell and kept getting his voice mail. Obviously, he was a busy man but after what happened last night, the whole thing felt more like avoidance.

    It was no use. She couldn’t work. Maybe it would be up to her to find out just what happened to her. She stood up, picked up her purse and was about to walk towards the door when it opened, and Miguel stepped in. He closed the door behind him.

    “Your secretary was away.” Miguel said.

    Michelle nodded and tossed her purse into a chair.

    “Probably a smoke break. Well, I see you decided to stop avoiding me.”

    “I have not been avoiding you. I was in court most of the day.”

    There was a silence. One that Michelle finally broke.

    “I want to know what really happened last night. I found a needle mark on my neck! You know who attacked me, don’t you?”

    Miguel moved forward to rest his hands on her shoulders.

    “You were not attacked.”

    “Then what happened? And please don’t tell me I was drunk again! I’m not buying that, Miguel!”

    “Okay, okay. Listen to me: I want you to leave town for awhile.”

    Somehow, Michelle found that statement worse than any revelation she had been waiting to hear.

    “What?” she asked softly.

    “Leave town. I know...go to Vegas. I’ll reserve our special room...the honeymoon suite we had that night...I’ll meet you there tomorrow night.” Miguel promised, trying to reassure her. But Michelle felt hot tears of fright spill down her cheeks!

    “Miguel, please...just tell me what’s wrong...I can help...it’s Ellen Wolf isn’t it? You killed her...I had a dream about it...”

    Miguel placed a finger over her lips.

    “Someone knows,” he said, not answering the accusation directly, “and that person threatened to take it out on you.”

    “So....I don’t understand this person drugged me and what?”

    “Took you somewhere.”

    “This mother***uck*r took me out of my house?! Tell me who he is, Miguel! Tell me!” Michelle demanded, now yanking on his tie. But Miguel gently removed her hands and held them.

    “Listen to me, by tomorrow night, no one will know anything, alright? I’ll make the arrangements for our special room. Okay? Just go to Las Vegas and everything will be alright. Everyone that needs to be dealt with, will be.”

    He wasn’t going to tell her any more, Michelle thought. And if he wanted to send her to Vegas, then whomever had broken into her home and kidnapped her, was no joke. She nodded and moved her lips up towards his to a bestow a gentle kiss on them. She then reached up and wiped lipstick off of him.

    “We wouldn’t want Syl to see this.”

    “Syl and I are separated.” he said in a low voice. Michelle raised a brow.

    “What? Why?”

    “She thinks I’m having an affair with Maria La Guerta. She saw me outside of her house and jumped to conclusions...it was a big mistake.”

    Michelle folded her arms.

    “Was it?”

    “Oh come on, Michelle! You can’t possibly think...”

    Michelle held up her hands in surrender.

    “Never mind. It’s none of my business. If you want me to meet you in Vegas, in our old room...then I will.” Michelle smiled. Miguel pulled her into a kiss.

    “We’ll set the bed on fire, my sweet.” he whispered, just as a sharp knock on the door caused the two lovers to jump back away from one another. Carrie opened the door and looked startled to see Miguel there. Michelle covered.

    “Mr. Prado was just updating me on The Carver situation.” Michelle lied. Carrie seemed to accept that explanation.

    “Dr. Kastor wants to talk to you about a consult.”

    Michelle nodded and Carrie turned and left the office, leaving the door open. Miguel kissed her hand.

    “Vegas.” he whispered. Michelle nodded then watched him leave her office. She forced herself to ignore the feelings of doom that ran throughout her body.

    She shouldn’t have ignored them. For this would be the last time she would see Miguel Prado alive.

                                                                  ****

    Michelle landed in Vegas the next night at 7:55 P.M. She and Miguel had not made arrangements to travel together, so she assumed he would already be at the Montecito Hotel Casino when she checked in.

    He was not.

    After polishing off a bottle of champagne, Michelle fell asleep for an hour, then awoke to find that Miguel had still not checked in. Michelle got up, took a shower, changed and went down to the casino bar and had another drink.

    One of the pit boss’s, a Black woman from the U.K. named Nessa Holt, joined her. She peered at Michelle.

    “I don’t mean to be rude, luv, but you look awful.”

    Michelle began to cry! Nessa looked around, then patted her shoulder.

    “I’m sorry...I didn’t mean it! It’s just that...”

    “He’s not coming.” Michelle whispered, wiping her eyes.

    “Who’s not coming?”

    Michelle looked Nessa in the eye.

    “My husband. Something is wrong.”

    Nessa was totally confused!

    “Okay, your husband was supposed to meet you  here and he’s a little late. He’ll be here I’m sure.”

    “He sent me here to protect me from something at home. He said everything would be alright but I should’ve known better. He’s not here because he can’t be here.” Michelle said with a knowledge that oddly enough, calmed her. There was no panic. Miguel Prado, her first husband, lover and friend...a man who had never judged her, was dead. She was as sure of that, as she was that the sun would appear the next day.

    “Look, maybe I can get security to help you? Let me contact someone.” Nessa suggested in a soft voice. But Michelle finished her drink and wiped her eyes again.

    “No. I’m leaving. I have a funeral to get ready for.” Michelle said, paying for her drink and walking away. She got into the elevators and went back up into her room. She opened the door and grabbed her suitcase off of the floor. She then looked around sadly, tears welling up again. The room didn’t look much different from when she and Miguel had been here before.

    If only she hadn’t left him in the middle of the night and met Burt. How would things have ended between them then? Or would they have ended? Would Miguel have honored their marriage?

    Michelle packed and gave the room one final look, before opening the door to go downstairs to check out.

                                                                      ****
                                                           TWO DAYS LATER

    Michelle sat in a back pew at a Miguel’s funeral service. The casket was open and she could see him laid out. She knew if she went up there she would break down.

    The news media had said that he had been strangled by the Skinner. Michelle took a deep breath. No. The Skinner had not done this. Whomever had kidnapped her a few nights ago, had killed Miguel. Her Miguel.

    Michelle could see Sylvia Prado sobbing up in front. A man Michelle vaguely recognized at Miguel’s brother, Ramon, threw that guy Dexter, and some blonde woman that came with him, out of the church! Michelle stared after them for a bit, thinking the whole altercation seemed strange, before returning her gaze to the front of the church. She longed to go up there and say her own, private goodbye. She should say something to Sylvia too. Burt had always liked her.

    Michelle stood up and made her way to the front, trying desperately to keep her eyes off of the casket. Who did this to you, Miguel? Who were you trying to protect me from?

    Sylvia looked up when she saw Michelle standing in front of her. There was another woman next to her, and Michelle nodded to her before addressing the woman Miguel called ‘Syl’.

    Sylvia Prado blinked a few times as she stared at Michelle.

    “Michelle Landau...it’s been too long. I  heard about poor Burt.” she sniffed. Michelle smiled wanly at her.

    “I had to come, Sylvia. What happened? The news is saying they think this serial killer ‘The Skinner’, killed him?”

    “The police think so too. They know who he is, it’s just a matter of finding the murdering bastard!” Sylvia hissed, then began to cry again. Michelle looked down. Miguel and Sylvia had been separated. She couldn’t imagine the regrets running through this poor woman’s mind.

    Michelle’s eyes strayed over to Miguel and she found herself walking towards his casket. He was dressed in a black suit. Sylvia joined her.

    “He looks so peaceful, doesn’t he?”

    No, Michelle thought. He doesn’t look peaceful. He looks like he’s been murdered by some mo**er**cker! And she wasn’t about to stand around and do nothing. The Skinner didn’t kill Miguel. Because then that would mean he was the one that had kidnapped her. And he didn’t let his victims live.

    Or was it possible that Miguel had been in more trouble than he let on? Maybe he was killed by The Skinner and the person that kidnapped her was a separate issue? Michelle realized she couldn’t live like this. She had to know what happened.

    Something hit her just then. Michelle looked at Sylvia.

    “Miguel was a pretty big guy...did this man accost him while he was driving or something?”

    Sylvia sniffed delicately.

    “No...Miguel was jogging. I guess near the Marriott where he was staying.”

    Michelle looked at Miguel’s form. Did that mean his vehicle was still at the hotel? And if it was, was his GPS recorder inside?

    Michelle touched Sylvia’s hand.

    “If there’s anything you ever need, don’t hesitate to call. Burt really liked you and Miguel.”

    Sylvia nodded and her tears fell freely again. Ramon put an arm around her and steered her away from the casket. Michelle looked at Miguel’s sleeping face for one last time, before turning and walking out of the church.

                                                                  ****

    Michelle drove to the Marriott Hotel that Miguel had been staying at when he died. He had once called her from his room, so she called the number back. A clerk had answered in a way that gave the location of this particular hotel.

    She drove around a bit, being careful to stay out of the way of the valets. She found some parking around the side that didn’t look legal. She parked in a spot anyway, put on a pair of black gloves and jumped out of her own SUV. Michelle knew that it would be just a matter of time before her car was spotted and towed. Or worse yet the police were called.

    She walked around a bit, trying to look as if she belonged, her eyes searching for Miguel’s vehicle. What if the police had taken it already?

    Michelle walked around another corner of the hotel and spotted Miguel’s black SUV! She recognized his license plate as she moved closer to it, looking around. Michelle licked her lips, hoping against hope for an unlocked door.

    She looked around again before peering in the through the windows. They were slightly tinted but she could still see a little. The GPS Recorder was sitting in a sunken in cup holder near the gears. Michelle looked around again and tried the driver’s side. Locked.

    She hurried around to the passenger side and found that locked as well. Panicking, she tried the back doors and was similarly disappointed. Michelle was not the window breaking type. Yes, she could cut kidneys out of unconscious people, but she refused to break a window with her hand.

    She looked around again and noted that one of the windows in the back was not rolled all the way up. Michelle reached both hands through the space and pushed down with all of her might. The window slowly slid down, enough for her to reach her arm though and unlock the door.

    Michelle looked around again, opened the door, climbed in and reached up towards the front, grabbing the GPS Recorder. She then climbed back out of the vehicle, slammed the door and walked back towards her illegally parked vehicle. She would take this back to her office and connect it with her laptop to find out just where Miguel and herself were the night she was kidnapped.

                                                                         ****

    Michelle had told Carrie to hold all of her calls. She was staring at an address on her laptop: 1600 Westerbook Lane. Where was that?

    There was one sharp knock, then Carrie stepped in. Michelle closed her laptop and watched as her secretary handed her a FedEX package. She murmured a ‘thank-you’, then watched as Carrie left, closing the door behind her. Michelle stood up and opened the box, reaching her hand inside.

    It was a DVD and one tiny cassette tape. Michelle walked over to the DVD player on top of her television and pressed ‘open’. She then slid the DVD in while eyeing the small cassette in her palm. This looked like one of those tapes that went in a voice automated recorder.

    The sound of Miguel’s voice almost made her jump! Michelle turned her attention to the television, where Miguel Prado suddenly seemed so alive. Michelle dropped into a chair and stared at his image on screen.

    “If you’re watching this, then I’m dead. Murdered. Murdered by Dexter Morgan.”

    Miguel’s DVD lasted for almost forty-five minutes. Michelle digested all that he had told her about Dexter and what he had done, and what Miguel SUSPECTED he had done. But it was his final words to her that would tear at the fibers in her mind.

    “Michelle, don’t go after him. I have provided a cassette where in which I recorded a few of my conversations with Dexter. You use this ONLY if you find yourself in trouble. Legal trouble. I know you, my sweet. Trouble always seems to find you. And if the authorities ever tied you to that kidney ring, you will need leverage to stay out of prison. This is it. Michelle...DON’T confront Dexter Morgan. If he ever suspects you know anything about him, he will finish the job he attempted that night. Keep what I’ve given you in a safe place and...and I lied to you when I said I got that divorce. I didn’t. We’re still married. I wish you hadn’t left me to marry Burt. But what was done, was done. Live well and take care of yourself. I love you and always will.”

    The DVD then cut off and Michelle had to steady her breathing so that her crying didn’t carry out to Carrie. She sniffed and walked over to her desk, then dropped into the chair and closed her eyes.

    First she had to find the right type of recorder to listen to this tape. Next...that little looking Opie looking bastard had killed her man! Her husband! And Miguel was telling her to let him get away with it???

    Hell no.

    No.
Chapter 4 by PriscillaPal
    FINALE-THREE MONTHS LATER

    “Tell me what you don’t like about yourself, Mr. Morgan?” Sean McNamara asked the man sitting in front of him and Christian. Christian was eyeing Mrs. Dexter Morgan. Yes, she did seem to be very pregnant, but there was something about her that reminded him of the late Gina Russo, who he literally fucked off of a balcony.

    Dexter smiled over at Rita, who gave him a reassuring smile in kind, before turning back to Doctor’s McNamara and Troy.

    “I have a scar I would like to get rid of. My wife says she doesn’t care, but I do.” Dexter said in a low voice. Rita spoke.

    “Dexter was attacked 3 months ago.”

    “Attacked?” Christian asked.

    “Yes,” Dexter said in a low, meek sounding voice, “my kidney was stolen.”

    Christian and Sean exchanged glances as Dexter suspected they would. He went on.

    “The police think I was the victim of some kind of kidney ring. Anyway, I went to your offices in Miami but the job got butchered. I was hoping...”

    “Whoa!” Sean said, “our OFFICES IN MIAMI? Mr. Morgan, this is our only office.”

    “Well, your names are still on the sign in Miami...I just assumed...”

    “Excuse us, Mr. Morgan.” Sean said tersely, “Dr. Troy and I need to consult for a moment.”

    Dexter watched as Sean McNamara and Christian Troy got up from their seats and left the room. Once the door closed, Rita shook her head.

    “They should do this for free, Dexter! I mean what they pulled back in Miami was negligence.”

    Dexter reached for Rita’s hand.

    “Things will be set right, I promise. I don’t want you, or our baby, to worry about anything.”

    “I can’t help but worry! I mean one day you’re leaving for work, the next thing we know you’re in the hospital. The doctors are saying that someone STOLE one of your kidneys! What kind of animals would do something like that?”

    Dexter looked away. He knew of one woman that would do something like that. Michelle Landau. He suspected, no, he knew, that Miguel Prado had told his ‘wife’ all about their association, either before Dexter murdered him, or post mortem by letter or something.

    Then Michelle decided to get cute.

    He never told Rita that Michelle had invited him over to her home, before he left for work that day, telling him that Miguel had left package for him, via her. Dexter, not knowing what the hell Miguel had been up to, decided it was best to pay Michelle a visit, just to see what she knew.

    Michelle was friendly enough...even offering him orange juice before leaving the room to get the package. It was as Dexter sipped the drink, waiting and wondering, that he began to feel as if he were going to pass out.

    The next thing he knew, he awakened in a hospital. The doctors told him that he had been left next to a dumpster but that whomever had stolen his kidney had sewn him back up like a professional.

    In the police report, Dexter skipped telling Angel the part about going to visit Michelle Landau. He just said he stopped to get some donuts and then nothing. Luckily there were no traffic cameras nearby to catch his lie.

    And Michelle Landau left town. Or moved to L.A.. Dexter was able to find out that Mrs. Landau had indeed moved to California and had opened up some kind of spa. Dexter’s next move was simple.

    He cut on the wound that Michelle had made, went to the hospital and got it stitched back up. He then told Rita that he had went to ‘McNamara/ Troy’ to get rid of the scar and they had made things worse. He then ‘pretended’ to find out that the owners, didn’t own the business anymore and were living in L.A..

    Rita practically insisted that they travel to L.A. to make things right. And they drove, since Rita was a little too pregnant for flying.

    Meanwhile, Sean and Christian were arguing in an operating room.

    “Didn’t you tell me you saw Michelle last week at that bistro?” Sean asked.

    “Yes! She opened a spa out here. So it makes no sense that she’s responsible for Mr. Morgan’s kidney scar! She wouldn’t even know him!”

    “But she didn’t change the name of our old business, did she? She didn’t take the sign down. Mr. Morgan went to our old place of business, thinking that WE would help him. Instead he got whatever hacks your ex-fiancee hired and they butchered him! We have no choice but to do this job pro-bono!”

    “Oh come on, Sean!”

    “No, you come on! That woman stole Liz’s kidney, remember? Now I think you’d better get her on the phone...pronto! Get her over here so she can help  make some restitution.”

    “So we’re not doing this ‘pro-bono’? You plan on taking this out of Michelle’s hide? She didn’t cut the kidney out of Morgan for Christ’s sakes!”

    “She owned that business when Dexter Morgan came to it, thinking he would be dealing with professionals...under OUR name! We have an opening this afternoon. If Mr. Morgan agrees to it, I want to perform his surgery right away and keep him here for at least overnight.”

    Christian sighed.

    “Fine. I’ll call Michelle.”

                                                                   ****

    Michelle tried to hide her disgust. A woman had just gotten a facial and to be blunt, she still looked like shit! She decided to look into getting some stronger beauty products. After all,  she planned to make her new business, ‘Serenity’, one of the premiere day spas in California. Maybe open up a chain of them.

    She had brought Carrie, her secretary from Miami, out with her. Carrie approached her.

    “I have Christian Troy on line one for you.”

    Michelle nodded but eyed the woman who still looked bad.

    “Give her a discount. I don’t think she’s going to be happy when she looks in a mirror.”

    Carrie nodded and walked off. Michelle picked up the phone, waited for Christian to answer, then hung up again! She wasn’t in any mood to speak to him today. She walked back to her office, closed her door and walked over to a safe that she had installed in the wall. She unlocked it and stared into it.

    Miguel’s DVD and the cassette he had given her, were inside. Michelle took a deep breath. Stealing Dexter Morgan’s kidney and turning it over to an old contact of Jaymes’s, who was still in the organ trafficking business, didn’t make her feel better. And she had went against Miguel’s advice.

    She knew she was taking her chances. That Dexter Morgan would be coming after her. It was just a matter of when.

    Carrie buzzed her.

    “Michelle, Christian Troy is on the line again. He said he’s going to come over if you don’t talk to him.”

    Michelle sighed with disgust and picked up.

    “What?”

    “I suggest you get over here to the REAL McNamara/ Troy, sweetheart.”

    “What are you talking about, Christian? I’m not coming over there.”

    “We have a patient here that was butchered by your incompetent doctors...you know the ones you had operating under our names!”

    “What?! How in the hell is that my fault? I sold the business.”

    “But he got a procedure done there when you still owned the business.”

    “Says who? Don’t call here again, Christian.” Michelle sniffed, about to hang up. But then her ex-fiancee said something else.

    “He had a kidney stolen, Michelle. Sean practically thinks you did it! Just please...come over here and prove to him that you’re not the monster he thinks you are. How about we both offer to make things right with Mr. Morgan?”

    Michelle felt the blood rush to her head.

    “Mr. Morgan?” Michelle said lightly.

    “His name is Dexter Morgan. His fiancee came to L.A. with him. This whole thing has been hard on her. Look, let’s set this straight. How about you help operate too?”

    Michelle leaned back in her chair.

    “Sean wouldn’t like that.”

    “Who gives a fuck? I’ll take care of that. Michelle...I really want to see you again.”

    And I’d like to see Miguel’s face again, Michelle thought. But I can’t...no thanks to that fuck Dexter Morgan.

    “Okay, Christian. I’ll be right over. We’ll set things right with Mr. Morgan.” she said, hanging up. She didn’t even bother to say goodbye to Christian. She stood up, thinking of the things she had heard on that cassette tape Miguel had left her. They were conversations between Miguel and Dexter about killing people and some ‘code’ of Dexter’s. Michelle didn’t completely understand everything, but she got the gist of it. And she began to wonder about a few things herself.

    Like how many other people Dexter had murdered and why no one was missing them? She doubted Dexter had even stepped foot in the plastic surgery firm she had left behind in Miami. The doctors she had hired were a little green, but getting rid of a scar was a basic procedure. She suspected Dexter did something to himself and pulled this whole stunt just to smoke her out.

    Michelle looked in a mirror. She didn’t think Dexter would acknowledge knowing her. But she couldn’t be sure she hadn’t met this wife of Dexter’s. She didn’t think she had...but Michelle just couldn’t be sure. Michelle turned away from the mirror. She would just have to take her chances.  Now she had to decide if maybe she couldn’t ‘accidentally’ cause Dexter Morgan not to survive his plastic surgery operation.

                                                                   ****

    Michelle wore dark sunglasses as she took the elevator up to McNamara / Troy. When the doors opened she strode up to a secretary’s desk, but the first person she saw Liz.

    Liz eyed her like she was a dirty goat or something.

    “Michelle...I wish I could say it was nice to see you.”

    “I could care less. Is Christian here?”

    Sean appeared. Michelle rolled her eyes behind her dark glasses. God...

    “Michelle, I’m glad that you were willing to make things right with Mr. Morgan.” he said in a cordial voice.

    “Is Christian here?” Michelle repeated in a bored sounding voice. Christian did finally appear and he walked over to her.

    “Michelle, thanks for coming right over. Why don’t we go into my office and we can talk about what needs to be done.”

    Michelle removed her glasses.

    “You told me what needs to be done. You want me to either foot all, or part of the bill, based on some liar’s word?”

    “Michelle,” Sean began, “I don’t think Mr. Morgan is lying. Why would he unless he had some reason to. Do you know him?”

    “I don’t know anyone by the name of ‘Mr. Morgan’, Sean. And Christian told me that the real reason I’m here is because you think I stole this man’s kidney. I guess I’ll go present myself to this man and see if he recognizes me.” Michelle said blithely, looking from Sean to Christian.

    “Where is he?” she asked.

    “In a room getting prepped for surgery.” Christian said, pulling on her arm. “This way.”

    Michelle flung his arm off of hers and followed him to wherever Dexter was. Sean frowned. Michelle DID seem angry. Was it possible that Dexter Morgan was scamming them? That made no sense. None. After all, neither Christian nor himself had ever seen this man, or his wife before. The scar Mr. Morgan had was similar to the one Liz had had...

    No, Sean thought. This was not a scam. Nor did he think this was a coincidence. He just couldn’t prove anything.

     Meanwhile, Michelle was lead into  ‘Dexter’s Prep Room’. Her eyes swept over his wife. She’d maybe seen her once, at Miguel’s funeral before the two of them were thrown out of there. But other than that, Michelle didn’t think the woman would recognize her.

    “Mr. and Mrs. Morgan, this is Michelle Landau. She owned the business that we used to own.”

    “Yes,” Michelle said in a fake voice, “Christian called me and told me what happened. I had been remiss in not taking down that sign.”

    “You were ‘remiss’ with more than just the sign.” Rita said in a cold voice. But Dexter touched her hand.

    “Honey, it sounds like it was just an innocent mistake.” he said, looking from Rita to Michelle. “Mrs...uh...I’m sorry, I forgot your name?”

    “It’s Mrs. Landau, but please, both of you, call me Michelle. Christian and I have discussed this and we insist on making some kind of restitution. I was thinking of footing the entire bill for the surgery and maybe Mrs. Morgan here, would like a free day at my new day spa?”

    Rita’s eyes grew huge! She smiled softly and looked at Dexter.

    “Dexter, what do you think?”

    Dexter eyed Michelle.

    “I think you deserve to be pampered, honey. Thank you, Michelle. That sounds wonderful.”

    Michelle gave him a fake smile, then turned and walked out of the room. Christian grabbed her arm just as Sean and Liz were walking up.

    “Michelle, you don’t have to foot the entire bill. I mean Sean and I were thinking half.”

    “No, that’s alright. They seem like nice people and I should’ve changed the name right away. So...this butchered job Mr. Morgan had done was that bad? I mean Mr. Morgan will probably have to stay here overnight?”

    “Probably.” Sean said, trying to figure Michelle out.

    “And his wife? She looks like she’s getting up there in her pregnancy. Is she going to sleep here too?”

    “Oh I hope not.” Liz said. “Why?”

    “Well since this is my fault I was thinking of putting her up in a hotel. But maybe they already made arrangements. Okay, well send me the bill. It was nice seeing....well, it was nice seeing you, Christian.” Michelle said and turned to walk off. She would return later on tonight and either smother Dexter in his sleep or...

    Christian caught up with her as she approached the elevator.

    “Michelle, I want to see you tonight. Maybe we can make a family night of it with Wilbur.”

    Michelle smiled at the thought of Wilbur. He would’ve been her little boy if things had worked out between Christian and herself.

    “I don’t know, Christian. Wilbur probably won’t remember me.”

    “Of course he remembers you. Come on, Michelle. For old times sake.”

    Michelle folded her arms.

    “I don’t do ‘for old times sake’, Christian. Maybe another time.” Michelle said, thinking Christian had a lot of nerve. His proposition made her miss Miguel all the more. Christian watched Michelle step into the elevator. He turned away as the doors closed and walked back towards Sean.

    “I can see you’re still interested in her, Christian.” Sean said.

    “It doesn’t matter. I think that guy she was seeing is the problem. She could still be seeing him.”

    “What guy?” Sean asked.

    “Remember when I told you that some lawyer called me about Michelle?”

    “Yeah...but that was months ago.”

    “Yeah, well, I called Michelle one night to ask her about it and some prick answered the phone. He said he was ‘A.D.A. Miguel Prado’ and said a few choice other things before hanging up. I think Michelle is still seeing him.”

    Neither Sean nor Christian saw Rita standing nearby, her mouth hanging open! She turned around and hurried back to Dexter’s room, closing the door!

    “Dexter! Dexter, that woman that was here...”

    Dexter sat up. He had been thinking about how Michelle would probably come here to kill him this evening. He was also thinking about the little shack he had found near the ocean, where he could easily kill and dispose of her. He would just have to rent a boat...

    “Michelle Landau?”

    “Yes! I just heard Dr. Troy say that Michelle was seeing Miguel Prado! Syl suspected he was seeing other women!  Don’t you think it’s weird that Miguel’s mistress is connected to all of this?”

    Uh oh, Dexter thought. He needed this to be a clean kill. Meaning there was nothing to connect him with the soon to be missing owner of the Serenity Day Spa.

    “Rita, we don’t know that that’s true.”

    “Dexter! Christian just said that he called Michelle one night and Miguel answered the phone!”

    “Okay but maybe they had business together.”

    Rita eyed him.

    “Did you know Miguel was seeing her?”

    “I’ve never seen her before in my life, Rita! Would you calm down!”

    “You may not know her but she knows you! You know what I think? I think she knew who you were when you came to her business and she had someone mess up your surgery! She was afraid that her relationship with Miguel would get out!” Rita theorized quite incorrectly.

    “But she wouldn’t know that I knew anything...Rita, please, can I just get this surgery and then we’ll leave?”

    Rita reached for his hands.

    “I would feel better if we could just get this done somewhere else. I don’t like the feel of this. I’m not saying Dr. McNamara or Dr. Troy are involved...”

    “But we can’t explain why we’re suddenly up and leaving a surgery we’re getting for free! And they will be offended, Rita.”

    Rita let go of his hand.

    “Alright, Dexter. You were the one that was attacked. If you trust this, then I’ll go along with it.”

    She leaned down and kissed him, then sat down in a nearby chair. Dexter sighed.  Rita’s knowing about the Miguel/Michelle connection was unfortunate, but explainable. He couldn’t afford to worry about that now anyway. He had to be ready for tonight.

    But tonight would not work out as either Michelle or Dexter would think.

                                                                       ****

    Michelle got off of the elevator of McNamara/Troy after visiting hours. She was wearing a cat suit underneath a light, black trench coat. The guard had remembered her from before and she gave a coupon to him for his wife, to her day spa.

    As she handed him the coupon/bribe, she noticed a picture of a woman that he wasn’t supposed to allow up. Michelle frowned and tried to get a closer look, but the picture was upside down. She decided to just forget about it and turned to step up into the elevator.

    The doors opened and Michelle could see no one at reception. She eased down the corridor, looking around for Dexter’s room. She knew he would’ve been taken someplace different after his surgery.

    She peered through a window. Dexter was sleeping. Michelle looked around, then opened the door. She stepped inside and closed the door behind her quickly. She spied a couple of extra pillows in a chair and she picked up one. This mofo was going to not only pay for killing Miguel, but for trying to kill her or whatever the hell that incident was about, when she awoke with plastic in her fucking mouth! Plus, he had probably butchered all kinds of other people. She was doing the world a service!

    Dexter opened one eye quickly. He planned to break Michelle’s neck, hide her in the closet until there was no one but the night nurse on, drug the night nurse then drag Michelle out of here and down into the undercar garage, where he had placed a second rental car, that Rita knew nothing about, in a space near the elevators. He would then throw Michelle in the trunk, take her to the shack he had found, cut her up and...

    Michelle was now closing in with the pillow. She was just about to place it down over his face when Dexter’s hand shot up and grabbed her around the throat! Michelle dropped the pillow and jabbed him in the eye quickly, causing him to release his hold on her throat and hiss! His eye looked a little pink.

    Michelle was about to do a winding punch on his azz, when she stopped. She put a hand up to Dexter.

    “What the hell is that noise?” she whispered. Dexter frowned and the two of them eased to his door. Dexter slowly opened it and Michelle and him peered out.

    There was a woman dragging Sean’s bloody body down a hallway! Dexter and Michelle looked at one another in disbelief. What the fuck??? Dexter closed the door quickly just as they heard Liz screaming Christian’s name.

    “I wonder if that’s the woman that the guard wasn’t supposed to let up here!” Michelle whispered.

    “Well he’s clearly going to be unemployed soon.” Dexter murmured, wondering if he had yet found another victim to go after. His thoughts were interrupted at the sound of Christian calling out Sean’s name. Dexter opened the door a bit again, and he and Michelle peeked out and watched as Christian slammed his body against a door that didn’t want to budge.

    “Maybe you should help him.” Michelle whispered. Dexter rolled his eyes! He was recovering from surgery himself! That wasn’t about to happen...

    Michelle suddenly shoved Dexter out into the hallway! Christian saw him.

    “Hey, could you give me a little help?!”

    “Uh yeah,” Dexter said, pretending to be shocked, “what the hell happened?”

    “I don’t know!” Christian yelled and both he and Dexter managed to get the door open. Dexter saw a crazy woman with glasses, slumped over Sean McNamara’s body.

    “I’ll call 911!” Dexter yelled. But the first thing he did was run back to his room.

    Michelle Landau was gone.

                                                                     ****

                                                       TWO NIGHTS LATER

    Michelle gently sniffed the new buffing creme that had come in. This should make even the ugliest person look better after a facial!

    She set the jar down, screwed the top back on and picked up the newspaper, re-reading the article about the melee over at McNamara/Troy. The crazy azz that tried to kill Sean WAS the woman she had half got a look at on that flier at the guard’s desk. Her name had been Colleen Rose, some fake agent who had become obsessed with Sean. There was nothing in the article that mentioned anyone seeing Michelle nearby.

    Dexter was mentioned as having helped Christian get to Sean in time. It also said that he immediately left for home, which was Miami, the next night with his wife. Michelle leaned back in her chair. Dexter had taken his bitch azz back home! Good! Chances were though, that he knew good and well that until he knew for sure, that Miguel hadn’t left any damaging evidence that implicated him behind, Mr. Morgan was at a loss over what to do about her.

    Michelle decided not to take any chances. Maybe it was time to sell Serenity and move to other parts. Not that Dexter wouldn’t find her, but maybe she would make it just a bit harder to next time.

    Hopefully there wouldn’t be one. Hopefully Dexter Morgan was grateful that he still had his own life. She was thinking along those lines when she closed her eyes for a small nap...

            MICHELLE’S DREAM

    Michelle looked up and around. There was mist surrounding her and she was wearing some sort of teddy. Oh yes...it was the one that she despised. The one that Miguel had dressed her in after he rescued her from being killed by Dexter.

    Oddly, she wasn’t cold. Michelle peered through the mist and saw she was in a graveyard. Miguel was there, leaning against his own headstone. Michelle walked over to him. He held out his hand to her.

    “I told you not to confront him, my sweet.” he said. Michelle tilted her head.

    “I couldn’t let him get away with what he did! Don’t worry though. He’ll never get the jump on me.”

    Miguel looked at her sadly, then motioned towards a headstone next to his. It read: Michelle Landau.

    “Dexter is coming for you now. Wake up and run.” he urged.

    END OF MICHELLE’S DREAM

    Michelle awoke with a start! Her head had fallen on her desk she jumped up and looked around. She was alone.

    Her cellphone rang and she stared at the Caller I.D..

    Dexter Morgan.

    Michelle picked up.

    “What can I do for you, Dexter?”

    “I feel so empty with one kidney.”

    Michelle smirked.

    “You can live on one. Don’t call here again.”

    “No, you see, I’m going to have to. I need to know if Miguel really left anything for me. He must have either told you something or...”

    “He told me everything, you murdering fuck! Miguel didn’t deserve to die!”

    “I disagree. I’m sure Ellen Wolf would too.”

    “Oh yes. Your code. Look, if anything happens to me, I have instructed my lawyer to retrieve the evidence against you that Miguel did indeed leave me, and have it sent straight to the police. Your precinct. I’m sure your co-workers will be thrilled to know they have been working with yet another psycho.”

    “And if I find this evidence first, then Burt Landau’s murder will be avenged.”

    “I didn’t kill my husband! He was old and sick!”

    “Why do you think that you’re any better than me? You’ve just as well killed people by leaving them with one kidney. I heard about how poor Liz Cruz was barely able to find a donor for a kidney transplant...something she wouldn’t have needed if you hadn’t butchered her.”

    Michelle hung up! There had to be a way to get Miguel’s evidence to the police, without implicating herself. She would think of a way to do that by tomorrow. Michelle stood up, turned off her desk lamp, picked up her purse and walked out of her office and stepped onto an elevator. She was headed to an undercar garage.

    When she reached the floor her car was on, Michelle noted there were still quite a few cars around. She reached her own vehicle, unlocked the driver’s side, got in and slammed the door closed.

    Then she looked over on the passenger seat.

    There was a photo of Dexter...in her office, holding the DVD and cassette! He was back in Miami, wasn’t he?! Michelle began to get out of the car, so she could get to her safe and see if her evidence had indeed been stolen, when Dexter rose up out of the backseat and stabbed her in the neck with a needle.

    The last thing she heard him whisper was, “I want my kidney back. You won’t be needing either of yours.” The drug worked instantly before she could fight or struggle....like it did before, that one night in her house. Michelle figured when she awoke, she would see Miguel again and he would chastise her for not listening to him.

    THE END

    
This story archived at http://https://www.valentchamber.com/vault/viewstory.php?sid=335