Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


I wanna be down with what you're going through
I wanna be down I wanna be down with you
No matter the time of day or night it's true
I wanna be down

*

1997

Aiyana and Cherry struck gold the minute they got to New York City and they both knew that they would never regret this decision that they made together. They both felt that they have been on their own for most of their lives anyway so it was time to leave their nests. They both got jobs at a small strip club in Harlem with their fake ID's. They moved into a cheap apartment with another stripper who desperately needed roommates and shared a room together. Cherry went to Open Mic Nights and free concerts to meet other musicians. She was very serious about being the next Gwen Stefani and Aiyana was there cheering her on. A guitar player from an underground rock band called the Psychotic Scrumpies (none of the band members know where the name came from but it stuck with them) approached Cherry and she was soon their lead singer.

It took longer for Aiyana to get her dreams to come true because she didn't know what she wanted to do. She used to want to be a businesswoman like Brenda, prove to everyone that even a poor foster child like her could be a CEO. However, that was more Brenda's dream than hers. She didn't know what she was good at besides dancing seductively. When she had enough money saved up, she took a few dance classes and enjoyed the new friends she made. She even went out to nightclubs with them. One particular night, a man approached her and gave her his card. "Elite Modeling Agency?"she read to him

"Has anyone told you that you could be a model?"he asked her as they moved to a spot where they could actually hear each other speak. "You have beautiful and exotic features and you have a very strong face and a seductive aura"he said to her. At first she thought that he was hitting on her but now that she heard his high voice she relaxed realizing that he was gayer than Christmas.

"Well thank you but modeling was never an option for me-"

"Call this number so we can schedule a test photo shoot. If you take good photos, we can make you a star! You'll be in magazines, billboards, runways. I believe in you huney"he said. "Your hair is divine. Paul Mitchell?"he asked her as he ran his fingers through it

"Oh I use this boring brand called 'Shampoo' from the Dollar Store"Aiyana said with a laugh

"Oh you have good hair! Usually someone's hair would fall out after using such a cheap product!"he said in shock. They talked a little bit more and then they went their separate ways.

"He was cute! You gonna fuck him?"Cherry asked

"He's gay! And he wants me to model!"Aiyana said as she showed her his business card.

"Ohmygod! That is perfect! You are so pretty!"Cherry said as she hugged her close. "I'll be the hot rock star and you'll be the hot supermodel! We will take over this city and then the world!"she said excitedly and gave her a pill with a happy face on it. "Oh and try this! Its AWESOME!"

*

2009

Christopher got off the metro and walked down the street to his destination. He had various temp jobs since he started working with Temp Placements, Inc. a month ago. Even though none were permanent and it was a lot of sorting mail and answering phones, it helped to pay his bills and it kept him busy. He even made a couple friends from the previous jobs and has been out with them to various happy hours. He lost a lot of his mutual friends through Raven since they were her friends first...they chose her over him but that was his life. He welcomed these new friends and cherished their times together. He hoped this new assignment would be long term and enjoyable. He found the building and went up to the Suite that he needed to go to. Metro Fashion. Why did that sound familiar? Then he frowned. Anything dealing with fashion interested Raven and he realized too late that was all she cared about. He sighed, "Don't think about her. That is over"he said to himself and walked up to the receptionist with a smile. "Hello, my name is Christopher Lee. I am the new temp that will be working with you"

The receptionist smiled at him. "Great"she said as she typed on her computer. "Oh you'll be reporting to George Baxter in our Mail Room"she said to him. "Have a seat and I'll call him down for you"she said as she gestured to the waiting area. "Would you like some water while you wait?"

"No I'm fine, thanks"he said to her and saw the company's official magazines spread out neatly on the table. Beautiful women graced each cover. He had to stay away from models. They were nothing but trouble. George soon walked into the room and they shook hands. He then gave him a tour and told him about the company and then led him to the Mail Room. "This is Louis and Carlos, you will be working with them here. I have a meeting to get to so they can explain to you what needs to be done"

"Thanks Mr. Baxter"

"Call me George"he said with a smile and left.

Carlos then proceeded to show him how to help him on his current project. "The Membership and Scholarship Department send and receive a lot of mail this time of year so we need a lot of help"he said to him as he showed him how to enter the mail into the system, weigh it, label it and preparation to send out. Then more letters came through when a courier came in to drop them off. "Ooooh these are for Aiyana"he said,"I will deliver these myself"

Christopher smiled,"Office crush?"

"More like office obsession"Louis said with a laugh,"He always makes sure to deliver her mail himself instead of doing it the easy way"he said as he gestured to all the mailboxes.

"She's a fucking supermodel"Carlos said excitedly. "She's beautiful"

"And she's married"Louis said

"Wait, she's a supermodel?"Christopher asked

"She used to be"Carlos said and then went to his desk and pulled out something

"Oh God, here we go"Louis said with a laugh, knowing what was coming. "The Holy SI Cover"

Christopher almost laughed when Carlos showed him a laminated cover from an old Sports Illustrated magazine. He then gasped realizing who it was. "Wait....Aiyana Patterson? THE Aiyana Patterson?"

"Oh God, you too?"Louis asked

"Isn't she the best piece of ass you have ever seen?"he asked him. "And this was what? 10 years ago? She still looks bangin'"

"She....she works here?"

"Yeah, she married some rich fuck and now she works here in the Scholarships Department. I don't know why she doesn't model again. She still looks like shes 21"Carlos said. "I saw her first Chris"

"Not really....I.....used to live in the same neighborhood as her"Christopher said. He could see her in her polka dotted bikini right now like it was yesterday.

"I thought you said that you were from Baltimore?"

"Yea, I am. Then moved to DC. I've been back and forth"

Carlos frowned and shook his head,"Aiyana is from New York City. It says so in her biography-"

"Which is unofficial"Louis pointed out

"Um, no she grew up here for a minute"Christopher said adamantly. "I would remember a face like that...she always had that body. She was around 15 the last time I saw her and she was beautiful then"

"I think your thinking about someone else"Carlos said. He was the one who knew all about her. He was her #1 fan. No one else. And not this new guy.

"Go take the mail to her, man. We got shit to do"Louis said. Carlos left. "Yo, he is her #1 fan-"

"I can tell. But I know what I'm talking about"Christopher said. He went back to work and then another courier came in. Louis signed for it.

"Another one for the supermodel"he said with a laugh.

Then a random idea popped into Christopher's head. "I'll take it"

"Not you too!"Louis said

"I gotta see her in the flesh. I'll work my ass off for the rest of the day. I promise"Christopher said

"Oh it ain't that serious. Go on up there, just don't let Carlos see you"Louis said. Christopher then ran out of the room and Louis laughed at him. He was thankful for the tour that George gave him so he knew where he was going. He approached the office and the door was open and he walked in. There was a girl on the phone and then there was an office next to her....and there she was. It was her. His childhood crush. He couldn't believe it. Right here in the flesh. They never had any real encounters. He used to stare at her a lot at the pool. But one encounter never left his memory.....

1995

Christopher sighed as he watched her play with her friends in the pool. They played a lot of games and he wanted to join in on the fun. Unfortunately, he didn't know how to swim and the only reason why he came to the pool was so that he could play with his Super Soaker and not get yelled at....and to see her.

He watched them for awhile and then he said, "I'm getting in" to himself. She made swimming look easy. It couldn't be that hard. He walked to the side of the pool and looked down. It was just water. What was there to be afraid of? He took baths all the time. He sat down on the edge and put his feet in the water. He mentally calmed himself down and told himself that he could do it. He then held his breath and then scooted off the ledge and let himself fall in. Unfortunately, he instantly sank and he was running out of air. He panicked. He was going to die! He couldn't scream and he was scared to open his eyes. He flailed his arms and legs around but it seemed that he sunk lower and lower. Deeper and deeper. He was going to die! He was going to die!

Then all of a sudden, he felt something or someone pick him up and before he knew it. Someone was pounding on his stomach and kissing him!!!! He opened his eyes and spit up water all over.......her. It was her!

"You ok?"she asked him. A worried look on her face. "Can you breathe?"she asked him

He noticed a huge crowd form around her, including her friends and other people. He didn't like the attention and started to cry.

"That's what he gets. He shouldn't get in the pool if he cant swim no ways"one of her friends said. "He aight, come on Aiyana"

"Leave him alone. He's scared"Aiyana said. That was her name. "You all go ahead"she said to them. She turned back to him and said,"Where's your mom and dad?she asked him. He just shook his head and continued to cry. He was embarrassed and he wasn't going to say anything else around this big group of people. "Your ok, come on"she said as she helped him stand up and he clung to her leg. "I'm going to take him home, does anyone know where he lives?"she asked the crowd. They started to disperse since they didn't know. "Wow thanks"she said to herself sarcastically. She took his hand and led him to her lawn chair. She picked up her beach bag and Michael Jackson beach towel and dried him off with it and then wrapped it around her waist. "K, I need to take you home now. Can you show me?"she asked

He nodded and led her away from the pool as she waved goodbye to her friends. He instantly felt better now, maybe she could play with him all day and be his friend. He led her to the apartment building that was across the street and led her to his door. However, there was a note on it. She took it off and read it. "Christopher, Went to get cigarettes. Don't talk to strangers". She sighed. "Your mom wrote this?"

"She's not my mom, she's my mom's friend"he said adamantly.

"Well I don't want to leave you here but she doesn't want you talking to strangers-"

"Your not a stranger, your nice"he pleaded. He didn't want her to leave.

"Ok"she said as she went over to the steps and sat down. "We'll wait for her"she said. He sat down next to her and stared at her as she put her long wet hair into a ponytail. "What?"she asked him

"My name is Christopher"

"I know"she said with a laugh. "The note said so"she said. "I know a lot about you already"she said and winked at him.

"Really?"he asked. Did she know that he was in love with her?

"Yea. Your name is Christopher. Your mom's friend takes care of you...and she loves cigarettes....and you cant swim....which is a problem. You need to learn"

"Can you teach me?"

"I would....but you should learn from someone who is certified. That's how I learned. I'm not much of a teacher"

"I bet you could be a good teacher"he said with a smile.

She smiled at him. He was a little cutie with his curly dark blond hair and blue eyes. She ruffled his hair. "Thanks kid"she said. They sat there for a long time. "How long does it take to get cigarettes?" He shrugged as his stomach growled. "You hungry?" He brightened up and nodded adamantly. "Come on"she said. They walked around the corner and went into a small corner store. "Not much of a selection but I only have a couple bucks on me-"she said and he got out two Nutty Buddies out of the freezer. "Two? Ain't that a little overboard?"

"No the other one is for you. You saved my life"

She smiled. "Thanks, don't mention it. I couldn't let you...you know"

"Your a superhero"he said with a smile

"Oh word?"she asked with a laugh. "Like Catwoman?"

"Yea but your name would be Super....Mermaid!"he said. She laughed.

"That's actually a pretty cool name"she said. "Now if I buy this for you....you gotta promise to eat your dinner later"

"I promise"he said. She smiled and bought the ice cream for them and walked back to his apartment.

"Let's see if she's home"she said and he noticed his smile quickly fade. She knew the feeling, she hated being at home too. She knocked and no one answered. "Um well I guess we-"

Then the door opened. "Yes?" a woman asked as she smoked the cigarette that took her about an hour to get.

"Christopher was out by the pool today and-"

"WHAT DID I SAY CHRISTOPHER!? I TOLD YOU TO NOT TALK TO STRANGERS!!!"she said as she pulled his little behind inside.

"She's not! She's a superhero!"

"GO TO YOUR ROOM!"she said as she spanked him on the butt and he cried as he sank to the floor. She turned back to her and was about to slam the door in Aiyana's face.

"I don't get a thank you!? While you were out buying cigarettes I saved him from drowning and brought him home"she said. This bitch was rude!

"Thanks"she said and slammed the door in her face. She stood there, shocked that the bitch was so ungrateful. "GO TO YOUR ROOM! AND YOU ARE NEVER GOING TO THAT POOL AGAIN!!!"she heard her yell at him. She sighed and walked off. Christopher ran to his room and cried. He looked out the window and saw Aiyana walk away and that would be the last time he saw her for a long time...

2009

"Yes? Did you need something?"Aiyana asked as a guy stood outside her door

Christopher shook himself out of his reverie. "Oh um....my name is Christopher Lee. I'm the new temp in the mail room"he said as he shook her hand

She smiled,"Nice to meet you"she said. "I'm Aiyana Patterson. I'm jealous, we need a temp more than they do"

"Oh, do you need help with something?"he asked, jumping at the chance to be close to her

"I'll spare you. You'll hate me if I asked you to work for me. My assistant is ready to kill me any day now"she said as she nodded toward the next room where her assistant sat and then winked at him.

"I bet I could handle it"he said with a smile

She smiled. There was something familiar about him. "You say that now"she said. "What can I do for you?"she asked him

"Huh?"he asked her, he forgot why he came here. She laughed. "Oh! Mail"he said as he handed her an envelope.

"Thanks"she said. "Carlos was just in here"she said as she took the envelope and looked at it and then her expression totally changed.

"Something wrong?"he asked her. Great, maybe he should have let Carlos deliver such bad news to her

"Its just.....life.....sucks"she said as she put the envelope down and faked a smile. "Thanks"she said as her phone rang. She looked at the caller ID and sighed as she put the bluetooth in her ear. "I gotta take this. It was nice meeting you Christopher"she said as she turned to her computer.

He couldn't help it but he glanced at the envelope and saw a Law Office address and a small slogan that said "The Best Divorce Lawyer in DC since 1979" He sighed. Whoa. "Um it was wonderful meeting you too"he said. She was already talking to the customer and just smiled and waved at him and then he walked out of the room.

"I'll transfer you"she said to the customer. "Oh and Christopher? Tell Louis and Carlos to take good care of you"she said

He smiled. "Oh I will" He then went back to work. As he worked he thought about her. Why would she be getting a divorce? Who in their right mind would want to divorce her?

"So...I saw you in Aiyana's office. You had to see the fineness in person huh?"Carlos asked him with a smile.

"Yea, she's still fine....very nice too. Oh and she said that she may steal me to help her with her work and told you two to take good care of me until she does"he said smugly

"Oh she did huh?"Carlos asked. This guy was trying to challenge him? Bring it on!

They continued to work and lunch came around in no time. He brought his own because he was trying to save all the money he had. He went to the vending machine to get candy and the machine gave him two candy bars. "Sweet"

"I have been working here for 3 years and that has never happened to me"he heard Aiyana say as she stood there watching him with a smile.

"And it happens to me on my first day, lucky I guess"

"I guess so"

"Here"he said as he handed it to her

"No, you should relish in your luck-"

"Go on and take it. You women love your chocolate...and lets say I owe you"he said with a smile. She had saved his life a long time ago. She was going through a divorce which was 10 times worse than some break up. He wanted to make her smile, to take her mind off of it.

She took it from him. "Thanks"

"Your welcome, have a good rest of your day"he said to her and forced himself to leave the room

"You too"she said softly. But what did he mean when he said that he owed her?

*

I know anybody's gonna be lonely
Without the reason they got someone to care for
Maybe all you need's a shoulder to cry on
If that's a fact than I'll be more than you ever could dream of (Oh)
If all you need is my time that I got plenty of
I'll dedicate all my love until you call baby yeah
I wanna stay by your side
Be there to cool you out
And let you know everything will be all right

*





Chapter End Notes:
Featured Song: "I Wanna Be Down" by Brandy