Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.





Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


"Noooo!" Tara screamed.

Eggs' lifeless body lay sprawled on the ground. Blood oozed in a steady stream from the huge wound in the back of his bald head.

She knelt over him. This couldn't be happening. Not again. First the fake shaman woman who performed the exorcisms on her and her mama and now Eggs too. Was she really cursed in some way, a bad omen to anyone she came in contact with?

She wanted to scream. To howl at the moon. It wasn't fair. Eggs had been her soul mate. The one bit of happiness and light in her whole fucked up existence. Her tears fell in huge droplets on to his slacken cheek, mingling with his blood. "Please God, please!" she cried.

"C'mon Tara," said a familiar male voice. Strong hands clasped her shoulders and pulled her into a tight embrace. She smelled sandalwood, beer, spicy aftershave and mint, the smell of Sam. For some reason his familiarity and closeness gave her comfort. She buried her face into his flannel shirt, wetting it with more tears.

Why, why, why?

Sam held her close, stroking her hair as if he were trying to soothe a colicky baby.

"Shhh, now. I'm here," he said barely above a whisper. "I'm here."

She looked up into his bright blue eyes. There was so much there. Warmth, pity, concern, and something she couldn't quite interpret. Her body began to tremble uncontrollably.

"Tara, Tara!" She heard Sam's voice echoing in the distance right before she floated away into darkness.


Tara woke with a start. It was pitch black. Her eyes were having trouble adjusting. Where was she? This wasn't her at mama's house. Not Sookie's either, yet her surroundings seemed familiar.

"Hello?" she called out.

She heard soft snoring close by then sort of a snort-whimpering sound like a dog or wolf would make. She realized she was in Sam's trailer, lying in his bed. What happened? Everything seemed to be in a daze with missing segments here and there. No surprise after her ordeal with Maryanne.

She remembered going to work earlier that evening. The customers all seemed to be in good spirits, if not a little confused after the events that transpired the night before. Then something happened in the parking lot. There been a big ruckus and people started screaming. Arlene and Lafayette had tried to keep her away from it, but she wanted to see. She needed to know what all the hollering was about. Then it hit her. Eggs had been shot in the head in the back of Merlot's. He was dead. Gone forever and she didn't get to say goodbye.

She began to cry, a low moaning deep her throat. She sat up in Sam's bed, hugging herself, rocking back and forth.

"Tara?" Sam called into the darkness. He'd been sleeping on the couch. He untangled himself from the covers and got up.

"Tara, you okay?" He asked.

Sam was standing in the narrow entryway. His pale body outlined by the iridescent moonlight. He was wearing a pair of light blue boxer shorts, slung low on his narrow hips and his hair flew out wildly from his head.

In a hoarse voice she said, "He's gone. Gone." Then erupted into hysterical tears.

Sam hurried to the bed and sat down beside her, placing an arm around her shoulders. His body was so warm.

"Shhh. Baby, it's okay," he said, kissing her on the forehead.

They stayed huddled together in the darkness for what seemed like hours. Her tears finally tampered off, leaving her emotionally and physically exhausted.

"What time is it?" she asked.

"Almost two."

"Shit. I need to call Sookie."

"I already did. She didn't answer her phone."

"She's probably still out with Bill. They were supposed be going to some fancy French restaurant."

Sam sighed. "Yeah, you're probably right."

An awkward silence fell between them. His arm was still around her shoulders. She could feel his heart beat strong and steady with every breath. And why was he so damn warm?

"I'm sorry I took over your bed and kept you up all night."

"Wasn't nothing."

More silence.

"Well, I better get on back to Sookie's," she said, starting to pull away. His arm tightened around her.

"It's late, Tara. You don't have to go right now. You can stay however long you want."

She arched an eyebrow at him.

"I-I mean until morning. Sookie should be home by then. You shouldn't be by yourself right now," he said.

"Thanks, Sam, I really appreciate it."

Sam stood up, his knees creaking. He stretched and yawned. He was a beautiful male specimen, not as tall and muscular as Eggs, but nicely built all the same. She tried not to think of what was concealed under those boxer shorts.

He turned to leave.

"Sam, I know that couch isn't very comfortable to sleep on. We can share the bed."

Sam looked startled. "You sure that's a good idea?"

"I know we not fuck buddies no more, but that don't mean we can't sleep in the same bed."

He stared at her for a long moment.

"My back is kinda hurting a bit," he said with a pained expression. "You sure you're not uncomfortable with us sleeping in the same bed?"

"I wouldn't have said it if I was."

He smiled. "Alright then."

He crawled up the bed beside her and they both settled under the covers. Sam was careful not to get too close. However, closeness was exactly what Tara was craving at the moment. She turned to face him and threw her arm over his chest and her right leg over his hairy thigh. He made a sharp intake of breath.

"Good night, Sam." Tara whispered.

"Good night, Tara." He placed a hand gingerly on her hip.

Tara closed her eyes and grinned. A bit of warm comfort was just what she needed and Sam would do just fine.






Chapter End Notes:
Thank you for reading chapter 1 of my Sam/Tara/Franklin fic.  Please leave a review and tell me what you think.