Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Manny’s Decision


Corrina was not the type of caregiver that Manny had envisioned for his daughter Molly, however as he observed Molly interacting with her after their botched interview, he decided to try her out.

It bothered him immensely that Molly was not talking to anyone. He knew that she was having a hard time dealing with her mother's death. He wasn't much help because he couldn't deal with it too well himself. At least he wouldn't have to worry about Corrina coming on to him like Jonesy did.

Manny sighed. He didn't want to think about another woman. Corrina was a safe bet. She was black and while he did not think she was 'ugly' or anything, there was nothing outstanding about her features and she wouldn’t come onto him like Jonesy did. Yes, he liked playing it safe. He was confident that their relationship would remain ‘strictly business.’

God, he missed his Annie. He hated coming home sometimes. Things weren't going too well at work either. They expected him to be able to just jump back into things, to just get over the emptiness he felt in his heart. How do you get over losing what he lost? They just didn't understand. He was now a single father with a daughter. He was still trying to deal with his grief and Molly was dealing with hers and he didn’t know what to do or how to help her.

He almost lost it when the furniture store delivered the chair and ottoman that Annie had ordered. It had caught him completely off guard. When they asked for 'Mrs. Singer' he had rattled off the first thing that came to mind. He could not bring himself to say that she was dead. Watching Molly run into the bathroom to look for her mother shocked him as guilt and shame from his white lie overpowered him and he came undone.

He had sat on the new furniture she ordered and wept bitterly. He did not know how he was going to survive this. How would he ever recover from this traumatic loss? He looked up and saw Corrina watching him with compassion in her eyes. She went and talked to Molly who was sitting in the bathtub with her sunglasses on while he had tried to get himself together.

Lately Molly would touch her nose when he would try to talk to her. What was that all about? She had come out of her room and caught him watching the home movies that her mother and the two of them had made together. He hadn’t known what to say to Molly. How could he help her when he couldn't help himself?

He knew that Molly had been angry with him but he couldn't understand why. Last night he had tried to get her to talk to no avail. Then she began taking his cigarette from his mouth. He knew she was acting out but he didn't know what to do! Manny wondered now if it was possible that Corrina could have some answers.

That morning he waited for Corrina as Molly stubbornly refused to get dressed for school. He had to go to work. Molly sat at the piano and began playing her part of the song Annie had taught her. It had gotten on Jonesy's nerves and he wondered if Corrina would be able to take it. When Molly got like this, she would play the tune for hours and there was no way to get her to stop.

Corrina came in the door and he had been relieved to see her. He had looked over at Molly.

"We didn't have a very good night last night." He had said as Molly plucked away at the keys.

"I see" was all Corrina had said looking over at Molly who was ignoring them.

"I feel like I should stay, but I have to go." Manny had felt torn, not sure what to do.

"Well, it's your house." Corrina had replied crisply.

Manny walked out the door, but had then turned around and returned.

"You see Mr. Potato Head is here from Trenton."

"Really? The Mr. Potato Head?" Corrina had asked smiling.

"Yeah"

"Well you better get your heiny going then." She had replied.

Still looking torn, Manny had then walked out the door.

He could hear Molly plucking away and then to his surprise, he could hear someone join in playing along with her. Corrina! He backed up and looked through the window. He had seen Corrina sitting at the piano beside his daughter playing the tune that Annie used to play with her. He then sighed in relief as Molly smiled up at Corrina.

He had smiled as he listened, surprised that Corrina was playing along with Molly. He then realized that hiring Corrina was the best decision he had ever made. He had then gone on to work with a clear mind.
((***))

Glad that his long work day was over, Manny picked up the stuffed giraffe hoping that Molly would have a better attitude towards him than the one she was in when he left that morning.

He opened the door calling her. "Molly!"

Molly came out of the kitchen carrying a tray.

"Look Daddy, I made you some pinnacles." She grinned up at him, proud of her accomplishment.

Manny was shocked! Molly was actually talking. He didn't know what happened but he quickly picked up his child hugging her tightly. Those were the first words she’d said since her mother died. He was a happy man. He looked up to see Corrina smiling from the doorway. She then turned and went back in the kitchen.

He looked at Molly. "Daddy is so happy to be able to talk to you." he said, his voice full of emotion.

He put her down and she returned to the kitchen smiling at Corrina.

He looked at Corrina who smiled back at him, as if she had some secret.

"What happened?" he whispered eying Molly.

"She just decided to talk" Corrina responded calmly

Manny watched Molly out of the corner of his eye as she ran back into her bedroom.

"You're the best decision I've ever made." he said to Corrina smiling squeezing and rubbing her hand. She smiled back at him and he now found himself staring at her as he held her hand. A warmth spread over him and he suddenly felt drawn to her. He pulled away as Molly ran back into the kitchen.

Manny let his eyes roam over Corrina. She was different from any woman he had ever met. He didn’t have much experience with colored people, but Corrina was so warm and caring. He felt that people were all the same and color didn’t really matter. A part of him wanted to learn more about her.

Corrina placed two plates on the table and then Manny watched as Molly placed a third on the table also. Corrina removed the plate and Molly replaced it. Manny watched the exchange amused.

"I think someone is inviting you to dinner." Manny said smiling. He was glad. He wanted her to stay. There was something about her that made him feel less lost and lonely. The electricity that passed between them when he took her hand surprised him. He didn’t understand what he was feeling, but he wanted to explore those feelings some more.

"Uh, maybe some other time." Corrina protested obviously uncomfortable as he watched her.

"No, I'd like you to join us too." Manny insisted pulling out the chair. He knew that he was being selfish in a way. She probably had to get home to her husband. Did she have a husband and children? He realized that he had never asked her about her personal life.

Molly quickly pointed out that Corrina’s husband was gone and Manny noticed that Corrina looked away. Manny was secretly relieved. She had no husband! Why was he so happy about that? His mind raced as he realized that he was attracted to this woman. Was it because of what she had done for Molly? He surmised that could be part of it, but he still remembered how he felt when he touched her hand. He watched her shyly as he lit her cigarette. He looked at her as he tried to hide the longing in his eyes, the desire he felt for her surprising him.

She appeared nervous and he could tell that she wanted to leave. It didn't surprise him when she knocked over the pitcher. She jumped up and told them she had to go. She emphasized calling him 'Mr. Singer' even though he had asked her to call him Manny. He knew that she was trying to keep their relationship on a professional level and for some reason he was unhappy with that. He wanted more from her and that surprised him. Manny hated to see her leave.

((***))


Manny had returned to his job, but things were not going well at work. The bosses were losing patience with him and he knew it. The jingles were not coming easily to him anymore. In the past, he would talk to Annie about his projects; run them by her and she would tell him what she thought. God, he missed her. It had been over a year since her death and it still seemed like yesterday.

He completely blew the meeting about the Mr. Potato Head jingle and he felt like a total failure. Sid came to his office trying to calm his nerves. He insisted that Manny get a babysitter and come to a party at his house on Sunday. Manny protested, but Sid was insistent. He called Corrina and offered to pay her double time for Sunday and she agreed.

The party did not go well for him. Sid tried to hook him up with a divorced woman named Jenny. Manny was in no mood to date. He wasn’t ready to move on. The pain was still severe. He did, however, agree to take Jenny home. She was pretty enough, but something about her turned Manny off. He knew that he was not the least bit attracted to her. Perhaps he was still dealing with his grief in such a way that another woman right now was not an option.

Manny found himself thinking about Corrina. Jenny would be the perfect woman for him, he reasoned. Why is it that he found her voice annoying, her personality grated on his nerves? Why couldn't he be drawn to her as he felt himself being drawn to Corrina? Where was the electricity he felt when he touched Corrina’s hand. He felt absolutely nothing for Jenny.

When they arrived at her house, she introduced him to her two sons. Manny could see that both of them were a handful. He tried to concentrate on Jenny and see her positive attributes. She did have a nice figure and there was a time that seeing a woman walk off switching as she was doing would get a rise out of him. Now he just felt dead inside.

He drove home and called Corrina and she told him that she would have her brother in law Frank bring her by to drop Molly off. He was grateful. He needed time to think. What was wrong with him? He thought of Annie and all they had together, the passion between them and the desire. Would he ever feel that way again? His mind was telling him that Jenny was a good choice, but his heart was cold and his body never responded to her overt advances.

Molly was a bundle of energy when she arrived home from her evening with Corrina. She wanted to talk about her mother and that was the last thing he wanted to talk about. Sunday's was the day that he and Annie would spend their time together making love, talking and just enjoying each other. He could never get enough of her and as Molly got older they considered it a delightful challenge to be able to sneak around her to get their Sunday lovemaking sessions in.

He wondered if he would ever feel that way again. The fact that he felt nothing in the presence of a beautiful woman like Jenny depressed him. Maybe he would never have what he had with Annie or anything close to it ever again.

He knew he had handled Molly's questions about her mother badly, but he couldn't bring himself to talk about it because it was just too painful.


((***))

Where was this God that Corrina told Molly about? Manny was irritated because he had asked Corrina not to put that foolishness in Molly's head. Yet Molly seemed happy and peaceful and when she asked him what was wrong with believing in heaven and angels if it didn't make you feel sad anymore, he didn't have an answer for her. He wished that it could be that simple for him.

Jello was now demanding a new jingle for their commercial and the task had been dumped in his lap. He could tell Sid was anxious and wanted the 'old Manny' back. What could he say? That Manny was dead. Sid kept talking about ‘both of their jobs’ being in jeopardy, when he actually meant HIS job. Manny felt that he didn’t need that kind of pressure right now.

He was in a foul mood when he came home and he knew it. Corrina was in the kitchen. He needed a cigarette and was irritated that there was none in the cabinet. Must she smoke up all his cigarettes! This was the only thing that ticked him off about her! Well he concluded that no one was perfect! Corrina had snapped that she had just put a carton in there last week, well where were they?

Molly's cries in her sleep caused them both to forget about the cigarettes temporarily as they ran to the bedroom. It hurt Manny to hear Molly say that she hated him even though he knew that she didn't mean it. He appreciated the fact that Corrina took control of the situation and had her channel her anger to the Mr. Potato Head bopper he had brought home. It seemed to work like a charm and Molly calmed down after a few minutes and even began laughing. He looked at Corrina catching her eye. How did she do this? She could handle Molly better than he could!

He didn't want her to leave even though he knew her time was up for the day. Now that he knew that she had no husband, his desire for her company increased.

"Please stay for dinner." he pleaded placing his hand over hers. She looked at him, hesitation in her eyes. "Please" he said again smiling. She returned his smile, averting her eyes as he stared at her. The familiar warmth he felt when he touched her came over him again. She really had a beautiful smile. Why couldn't he feel this way with Jenny?

"Alright, Mr. Singer" she said looking away.

Manny watched her throughout the dinner. She knew her music and she had such passion. She was a college educated black woman who couldn't get a break, but he found no bitterness in her as she joked about it. He listened as she talked poetically about Bill Evans. He looked at Molly who smiled back at him. Molly was wise beyond her years. Could she see the attraction he was beginning to feel? It was confusing to him. He couldn't really be attracted to Corrina, could he? Maybe he just enjoyed her company. After all the candles she had lit gave the kitchen a romantic glow. He listened as she talked about her dream of writing for High Hat Magazine. He didn't care that the dinner was bad. He was enjoying her company and the sound of her voice was soothing to him. He glanced at Molly and saw the adoration in her eyes as she hung on Corrina's every word and he realized that he was beginning to feel the same way.

They sat on the couch and for the first time he felt like he had his family back again. They played along with 'Name That Tune' that was on the television. Her presence totally relaxed him. He was sorry to see the evening come to an end.

"I've got to go." Corrina said looking at Molly. Manny watched as she put Molly in the bed. He kissed Molly on the head and turned to Corrina. "I can call you a cab. I don't want you catching the bus home this late in the evening."

Manny quickly called the cab and Corrina straightened up the kitchen. "The cab should be here within thirty minutes." he said leaning in the doorway watching her. His eyes followed her around the room eying the movement of her hips as she moved. She really did have a nice figure. She turned and caught him watching her and he averted his eyes.

"I appreciate all you are doing here, Corrina" was all he could think of to say. He helped her with the dishes as she straightened up the kitchen. He wondered if she felt what he felt whenever he touched her, the warm feeling that seemed to overtake him. He asked her what she was afraid of and why she didn't want to call him Manny. She looked at him, her expression guarded. She told him that she did not want to become too familiar. Too familiar? he thought. That was exactly what he wanted. He wanted to get closer to her, wanted to know her better. He didn't say it though because he didn't want to scare her.

She finished the dishes and he helped her with her sweater. He inhaled her scent which was slightly intoxicating to him, a mixture of lavender and vanilla. He felt his own arousal as he stood close to her, and realized that he wasn't so dead after all. He wanted to take her in his arms and kiss her. He was surprised at the strong attraction he felt and he wanted to spend more time exploring these new feelings.

The cab blew its horn and he opened the door slowly hating to see her leave.

"Goodnight, Mr. Singer" she said avoiding his eyes. He wondered if she was feeling the attraction he felt as he stood close to her. He reached out and rubbed her arm smiling at her. She smiled back shyly and looked away. He knew at that moment that she felt it too.

"Goodnight Corrina." he replied softly. "I really enjoyed your company this evening."

She looked at him a moment before speaking. "I did too, Mr. Singer."

He grabbed her hand. "Please call me Manny, Corrina."

He could feel the electricity flowing between them and it was all he could do not to take her in his arms and kiss her at that moment. Instead he took the money he had for the cab and placed it in her hand squeezing it.

"Alright, Manny." she conceded. "I've got to go."

She quickly turned and rushed to the cab and Manny stood in the doorway and watched until the cab was out of sight.

Corrina hung up the phone and breathed a sigh of relief. Manny Singer had offered her the job of caring for his daughter.

She was surprised considering how bad the interview went. Maybe things were beginning to turn around for her.

Lord knows she needed a job. Her trifling husband Edward B had left her high and dry, walked out on her and never looked back. He had drained their bank account and she had no money. It had been humiliating for her to call her sister Jevina and tell her that she had less than thirty days to find somewhere to live. She would not have any money to pay the next month's rent on the room that she was staying in.

Jevina being Jevina had quickly took charge of the situation and sent her husband Frank to get her and move her in with them. Of course, things were tight. She shared a room with their daughters. She was just glad that she had some family that could help her out.

She was college educated, a graduate of Fisk University. That didn't matter however, because the only work that seemed available for colored folks was domestic work. She did occasional day work here and there, but she needed something steady. The job of keeping Mr. Singer's daughter was for six days a week with Sunday's off. It was a good job since men were not as particular as women. Plus the daughter would be in school soon and she was sure that as long as there were clean clothes and food cooked, they would find little to complain about.

Jevina came home from the store that she worked at and she gave her the good news.

"That's great, Corrina." she said with the mail in one hand.

"Did I get anything?" Corrina asked

Jevina flipped through the letters and handed one to her. "Corrina, I don't know why you are still trying to get a writing job. You know white folks don't allow such." she said clucking her mouth.

Corrina did not reply, but looked at the letter. "It's from a lawyer." she said sounding surprised. She tore it opened and began reading. Jevina watched as her eyes grew big.

"What is it?" she asked.

"Edward B has filed for divorce." she said folding the letter up. He had been gone for over a year. She was not surprised.

"Hell, he's doing you a favor!" Javina spat out. "That no good bastard left you high and dry! Good riddance."

Corrina did not reply looking sad.

Jevina grabbed her by the shoulders. "You deserve better, Corrina. Don't look back. I know you're hurting baby, but I know that there's some man out there who is going to see you for who you really are and be the type of man you deserve."

Corrina smiled. Her little sister was just like her mama. She even sounded like her mama. "I know, Jevina. I know."

Corrina showed up at the Singer House at 8:00 am. Manny Singer looked tired and lost. Corrina's heart went out to him. There was little food in the house and he told her to use his wife's car and to pick up some breakfast for Molly and do some shopping.

Corrina was determined not to push Molly to talk. Instead she held a conversation with her, not waiting for a response. She told Molly at the restaurant to touch her nose for 'yes' when she asked her a question. It took a few moments of encouraging, but Molly complied. Wow! she thought. She had reached first base already on the first day.

She celebrated her victory by buying them both a pair of sunglasses and sang to Molly all the way home. Molly seemed to enjoy it even though she didn't say a word. Corrina was rewarded, however, with an occasional giggle.

Corrina knew that she wasn't that great of a cook, however, she was determined to throw something together. She hurried back home to try to get it started before Manny came home. It didn't turn out too well, however as Manny had to drink a lot of water to get it down.

She was totally unprepared when the doorbell rang and delivery men came with furniture that Mrs. Singer had ordered, a green leather chair and ottoman.

Manny looked totally lost when they asked to speak to Mrs. Singer and it was a big mistake when he fumbled and said that she was in the bathtub.

Molly hearing her father's lie, immediately jumped up and ran into the bathroom looking for her mother. Manny looked totally shocked when he saw what his fib had done. He ushered the men in and had them put the items in the living room and quickly slammed the door when they left looking at Molly sitting in the bathtub.

Corrina walked to the bathroom looking at Molly sitting in the tub, heartbroken that her mother wasn't there. She then turned and looked at Manny who was sobbing on the new furniture with his head in his hands, unable to deal with what had just happened. Corrina looked from one to the other helplessly. She was unsure how to comfort either of them at that moment.

She closed the bathroom door behind her and sat on the toilet watching Molly.

"Molly, I'm sorry." she said.

"You know your mother isn't really in the bathtub. Your daddy only said that because he couldn't bring himself to say that she is dead. Come on baby, get out of the tub." She reached for her hoping that she would cooperate.

Molly looked at her and took off her sunglasses. Tears were in her eyes as she stood up in the tub and hugged Corrina.

Corrina wiped her face and let her out of the bathroom into her bedroom.

She helped Molly undress into her pajamas and she sat with her on the bed.

"Do you want to be alone for a while, Molly?" she asked.

Molly touched her nose.

Corrina sighed and left the room.

She found Manny still sitting on the new furniture staring into space.

"I-I didn't mean to upset her." he whispered. "I wasn't thinking."

He looked at Corrina and she saw the pain in his eyes.

"She's alright, Mr. Singer."

"She's not alright Corrina, and I may have made things worse." he said.

"You both just need time to deal with your grief." Corrina replied.

She left him and went into the kitchen and began cleaning up. She prayed that things would get better for both Molly and her father.

Corrina tried to cheer Molly up many different ways.

They did the grocery shopping and then she stopped at the drug store to pick up some things to restock the medicine cabinet. There was not even a band aid in there! When they came out of the drugstore, Molly walked over to the pet shop that was next door.

She pointed anxiously to the window and Corrina came over and peered in.

"You want to go in and look around?" Corrina asked and she immediately touched her nose.

They walked in and Molly walked around.

"Can I help you?" the girl asked from behind the counter.

"I don't know yet." Corrina replied "She's looking around."

Molly stopped at the back of the store and pointed nodding. Corrina saw that she was looking at the turtles. "A good choice!" she said to Molly who smiled and nodded.

Manny had left more than enough money for household expenses. All she had to do was to give him the receipts. She allowed Molly to pick out a turtle who the girl behind the counter told them that was named Lois.

"Lois it is then" Corrina said to Molly "Since you're not interested in talking right now."

She quickly made her purchase and they headed home. She wondered what Manny would say about the new member of the family.

She went to the car wash and Molly was delighted. She also showed her the old trick she and Javina used to play by blowing on the stop lights in order for them to change. Molly was amazed and played along with her. It was magic!

Unfortunately all of her efforts while they seemed to bring out laughter in Molly did not get her back to speaking. Corrina decided that she would just take it one day at a time.

After the bathtub incident, Corrina took time and told Molly bible stories. She explained that her mother was in heaven with God and the angels. This seemed to give Molly comfort.

One Saturday as she did the wash and Manny cut the grass, Molly came out of the house with her mother's favorite dress. She spread it on the ground and laid down beside it. Corrina looked at Manny who looked away and continued cutting the grass. He still could not bring himself to talk to Molly about her mother.

Molly stared up at the clear sky and Corrina knew that she was thinking about what she had told her about her mother being in heaven. She attempted to comfort her by telling her that if she looked really hard that she would be able to see her mother waving.

Manny immediately chastised her and told her that he and his wife were atheists and that he didn't want her telling Molly that her mother was somewhere that she wasn't. Corrina was indignant. Didn't this man realize that God was real and that Molly needed something to believe in?

However, she held her tongue from what she really wanted to tell him and told him crisply that she would just continue to tell Molly that her mother was in the bathtub.

Manny looked dejected as she walked off and she immediately regretted getting snippy with him. He was, after all, still grieving too.

When she returned to work on Monday, she found a frantic Manny waiting for her at the door.

Molly was on the piano playing the song her mother taught her. Unfortunately, she only knew a portion and the rest her mother played along with her. She normally did this when she was upset and she had been upset with him the previous night.

Manny was torn on whether to stay or leave. Corrina could see the guilt on his face. She was glad when he finally left and she sat down by Molly and began to play along with her.

Molly smiled realizing that Corrina could play the song that her Mommy taught her. They played it several more times and then she returned to her room satisfied.

Corrina sighed and then decided to continue straightening up the house.

She was shocked when Molly came into her father's bedroom as she was making up the bed and began speaking about her mother. The song on the piano must have bought her out of her shell. She did all she could to convince Molly that her mother was in heaven regardless of what Manny had told her. She explained to the child that her mother's death was not her fault and that there were people here that loved her.

Molly seemed to open up immediately and chatted as if she had never taken that vow of silence. Corrina decided to celebrate by helping her make some cookies for her father. She told Molly it would make him feel better because he was sad and he missed her mother too.

Manny was ecstatic when he came home and found Molly talking. Corrina had never seen him so happy. He looked at her with a grateful smile on his face. He touched her hand and it made her heart jump. His hand was warm as well as his smile.

Corrina looked away from him. God, he was handsome! She had to keep this professional, but the look he was giving her was anything but! Molly kept putting a third plate on the table expecting her to stay for dinner and it was embarrassing. Manny insisted that she stay for dinner. How could she fight both of them? Didn't he know that you didn't invite the help to sit down at the dinner table with you? Apparently not!

She sat down unable to calm her jittery stomach. He kept smiling at her with that handsome smile of his and his puppy dog eyes. She felt herself growing hot. She tried not to focus on him and listened to the music that Manny was playing on the record player. She loved it and realized that they had the same taste in music.

Knocking over the pitcher was unintentional but she was glad to get out of there. Manny's stares were her undoing. He caressed her with his eyes and it made her stomach quiver and she was warm all over. Who was she kidding? He was a white man who was just grateful that she was able to help his daughter. His warm hand was just a touch of gratitude. She was glad to get out into the cool air when she left the house.

She was surprised when Manny asked if she could watch Molly on Sunday and offered to pay her double. She told him that she had plans to go to church and that Molly would have to go with her. He surprisingly did not protest.

Molly asked a lot of questions about church and even shook the preacher's hand after service. She loved playing with her nephew Percy and his sisters. She had plans to go to a jazz gig on Sunday afternoon and refused to cancel her plans.

Jevina and her family were going over to Frank's mothers and they agreed to meet up later on that day for lunch. Molly seemed to enjoy the music and Corrina could tell that she had a real appreciation for it.

Corrina was surprised when her sister tried to set her up with Anthony. He came over to their house as they were having lunch. He was a nice guy and all, but she was not the least bit attracted to him. Jevina seemed totally outdone when she showed no interest in him and eyed her suspiciously.

Corrina always knew that her sister was part bulldog and after they had put the children down for their naps, Jevina began grilling her. She thought something was up with her sister and Manny Singer and said as much. True, she had been getting home a little late since Molly began talking, but she had been careful what she told her sister. Jevina reminded her that she had no future with Manny Singer and for her not to let him lead her on or take advantage of her.

"What makes you think I am interested in him?" Corrina said

"Look, I'm your sister. I know you. I listen to the way you talk about him and his daughter. What gives you away is the way you say his name. Plus you've been slipping up and calling him 'Manny' every now and then instead of 'Mr. Singer' Jevina pointed out.

Yep! Her sister was part bulldog or watchdog or whatever kind of dog. She had to be careful. She didn't need her to tell her that it was foolishness to have any romantic notions about Manny Singer. She knew that! He was a white man. She was a colored woman. He was just being nice. She had to get a grip! She told herself that everyday. Why wasn't it working?

"Jevina, I'm just helping them out. That's all" Corrina said trying to sound bored as if he was the last thing on her mind. She didn't fool Jevina one bit.

"Uh-huh" Jevina said unconvinced.

Corrina rolled her eyes. Yes, she would have to be careful around her sister.

When Frank took her to drop Molly off that evening, Manny's sad face had returned. She wanted to talk to him, but thought better of it. He must have been thinking about his wife. She quickly dropped off Molly and said her goodbyes. She felt the watchful eye of Frank on her and she didn't want him to have anything to tell Jevina when they returned back home. She had to be careful. She didn't want Frank to think that she was interested in Manny in any way other than a professional one. She didn't want to give Manny any ideas either. She needed this job. He was just being nice to her. Get yourself together girl. she thought to herself. However, her mind kept going back to the day that Molly first spoke and the way he smiled at her and squeezed her hand.

What a day! Corrina had a hard time getting Molly to go to school. She had a full day of work outside of the Singer household and then she ended up picking up Molly late!

Molly told her that she had a bad day of school and would not go back. Well they would just have to talk about that! She took her home and had her lie down for a nap so that she could begin to fix dinner before Manny came home.

She knew that Manny was in a foul mood as soon as he came in the door, and then he accused her of smoking up all the cigarettes. He was the one who was the chain smoker. She could hardly keep any in the house! Their debate was interrupted as Molly cried out from having a bad dream.

Manny rushed in the bedroom trying to calm Molly down and Corrina followed him. Molly was very angry and took it out on her father. Corrina knew that she had to step in and she led Molly to channel her anger away from her father and direct it to the Mr. Potato Head boppers that were in the room. It worked like a charm and soon Molly was calm.

She headed back into the kitchen to finish preparing dinner. Manny soon came behind her. "Corrina, I appreciate what you did" he said "You seem to be able to come up with the most unique ideas to help Molly."

Corrina didn't look up. "Thanks. She's a good kid."

Manny walked over to her and she looked up not realizing how close he was standing to her. She could smell the faint scent of his cologne and she could feel his breath on her face. Her stomach jumped at the sound of his voice as he whispered in a low voice. "I want you to stay for dinner. I won't take no for an answer. I am sure Molly wants you to stay too."

Corrina looked at him, his blue eyes dancing. God, he was handsome. He smiled at her and reached up and rubbed her arm. Heat shot through her at his touch and she looked away hoping that he did not notice how nervous he made her. "Alright, Mr. Singer." was all she could say.

"Manny" he replied. "I want you to call me Manny."

She looked at him and he lowered his gaze shyly. He looked back at her again blushing slightly. She felt as if she was frozen on the spot as he continued to smile warmly at her. Did he know what he was doing to her? Why was he being so nice...so familiar. Was he interested in her other than just business? Of course not! Don't be silly. she said to herself. He's just being nice.

Her thoughts were interrupted by Molly coming into the kitchen.

"Corrina is staying for dinner." he announced picking her up and swinging her around.

"Yaaayyy" was Molly's response.

They sat down to dinner after Manny had put on some music. God the man had excellent taste she thought as she listened to Bill Evans. Manny seemed genuinely interested in her aspirations and she was surprised. Most white folks would be like her sister telling her to be level headed. Manny however seemed sad when she pointed out that colored people were only allowed to play the music and not write about it.

"I think you should still continue to follow your dream." he said. "You never know when someone will be willing to give you a chance."

The candlelight was Molly's idea and it made the meal all the more intimate. She glanced at Manny out of the corner of her eye as he inhaled his cigarette.

He was watching her. "This is really nice, the music...the candles."

"It was Molly's idea" Corrina quickly said trying desperately not to look at him directly.

"Good idea, Molly" he said smiling at his daughter.

Corrina quickly got up and began to clear the table. Manny grabbed her arm.

"We'll do that later." he said "Name that tune is about to come on."

Corrina looked at him surprised. How did he know that she liked that show? He grinned at her as if he read her mind. "Come on, you know you want to." he said teasingly.

She went and sat on the sofa and Molly sat between them. She felt completely at home and relaxed as they chatted and played along with the television. She didn't know what was happening between the three of them, but she liked it. When the show went off, Manny announced that it was time for Molly to go to bed. She protested a moment but Corrina led her into the bedroom and had her in her pajamas in a matter of minutes.

Manny came in and kissed his daughter good night and they shut the door and turned out the light.

"Well it's been a nice evening, Mr. Singer." she said "I'm going to go as soon as I do these dishes."

Manny followed her in the kitchen shortly thereafter and leaned in the doorway watching her. "I promised to help, remember. I've called you a cab. I don't want you catching the bus this late."

She smiled. They were acting like an old married couple or something.

They washed the dishes in silence for a few moments. She washed and Manny dried and put them away.

"Corrina I want to ask you something." Manny said

"Yes, Mr. Singer?" she asked.

He turned and looked at her "I want you to call me Manny. Is that so hard?"

She swallowed hard and looked away. "I-I just don't want to get too familiar"

she said. "You are my boss-"

"I don't look at you as just an employee. I want you to call me Manny." he said.

Dare she go there with him? "How do you look at me then?" she asked.

He paused a moment. "You are very special both to me and Molly. I feel drawn to you. Do you feel it too? I like spending time with you. We seem to have so much in common."

She didn't want to answer. She was traveling down new territory here. He put the dish down and grabbed her arm. He reached up and lifted her chin forcing her to look at him. "What are you afraid of?"

"Nothing." she said. Everything, she thought. "I-I've got to go."

He helped her with her sweater and she walked to the front door peeking out at the cab. She turned around and Manny was right up on her. He was all male and him standing so close caused her heart to beat even faster. The faint aroma of his cologne along wth his scent invaded her nostrils. He reached up and touched her face gently and she felt the moisture increase between her thighs.

"Thanks again for everything." he said his voice husky and low.

If Corrina didn't know better she would have thought he sounded like a man who was talking to a woman he desired. That couldn't be...could it? She dared not look in his eyes for an answer. "You're welcome...Manny." she said finally.

The beeping of the cab bought relief to her. She didn't know what was happening here between them, but it scared her.

"Goodnight, Mr. Singer" she said opening the door.

"Manny...call me Manny."

"Alright..Manny" she said "I've got to go. Goodnight."

She rushed out of the house and practically ran to the cab. She looked back and saw that he was still in the doorway watching her.

The cab pulled off and she leaned back on the seat after giving her address to him.

What in the world had she gotten herself into?