Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


It was Carrie who ran into Michelle’s office two days later to tell her to turn on the TV. Michelle, who had just gotten off the phone with with her own attorney over selling the business, frowned and turned on the television by remote.

A woman named Lieutenant Maria La Guerta was giving a press conference...concerning the murder of Ellen Wolf. Michelle, who was sitting in a rolling chair, rolled back a few feet in shock! Ellen Wolf was dead? Murdered? By who?

Michelle perked her ears as if she were about to go deaf, as she listened to the police lieutenant answer a question about Ellen Wolf’s being found in an open grave.

The theory was that Quentin Costa’s crazy sister, who used to work for the Miami Police Department, was responsible for this. Michelle moved her chair to her laptop and put in ‘Quentin Costa’s sister’ under Google.

The Name Kit McGraw came up. She was some British police detective brought in from Scotland yard by the Miami Police Department. Michelle looked at the TV again. She wondered if Quentin’s crazy assed sister used to work with the crew on TV here? But why would this ‘Kit’ kill her brother’s defense lawyer? It made no sense.

Then again, what the hell did she care? Maybe it would make it harder for Quentin to get off with another lawyer. But what had Ellen Wolf told Quentin about how she planned to defend him? Had Ellen Wolf mentioned her past to The Carver?

Carrie walked into her office again.

“A Detective Sergeant Angel Batista is on the line for you, Michelle.”

Michelle picked up her phone. She remembered Detective Batista. He had been at her home the night she was attacked.

“Hello, Detective Batista.”

“Mrs. Landau...listen I would like to go over your statement again.”

“Uh, why?”

“Well I don’t know if you heard, but Quentin Costa’s defense attorney was murdered.”

“Yes, Ellen Wolf.”

“You knew her?”

“No. Not really. She came by to question me but I wasn’t too cooperative.”

“And rightly so.” Angel sniffed. “Anyway, A.D.A. Prado would just like to make sure everything is kosher before he goes after that animal in court. With his defense attorney being dead and all...Mr. Prado just wants to make sure that Costa can’t slip through any cracks.”

“No. We certainly wouldn’t want that.” Michelle said tightly. “I’ll be down in an hour.”

“Good. We’ll be waiting.” Angel said, hanging up.

Michelle hung up as well. She wasn’t that anxious to see the inside of a police station. But she did want to see if Miguel would be there. She wanted to know what he knew about this business of Kit McGraw possibly being Ellen Wolf’s killer. She certainly didn’t want to have to look at that crazy biatch anytime soon!

****

The first person Michelle saw when she stepped off of the elevator at the Miami Metro Police Department, looked vaguely familiar. And yet he seemed to know her.

“Michelle Landau, right?”

Michelle gave him an unsure smile.

“Uh...yes...”

“Oh, I’m sorry. You don’t remember me. Not that I would expect you to. I’m Dexter Morgan. I’m a friend of Miguel’s...we met in his office...”

Now Michelle remembered. Opie. She shook his hand.

“Yes, I’m sorry. I’ve had a lot on my mind. Of course I remember you, Mr. Morgan.”

“Dexter.”

Michelle smiled again.

“Dexter.” she echoed, then looked past him into to a room with police detectives standing around. She saw an office some ways back and looked through the windows, Michelle spotted Miguel pacing around. That woman, Lt. La Guerta was inside as well. She looked upset. Michelle frowned as she saw Miguel help her into a chair. The gesture seemed so personal... familiar.

A strange rush of something hit her in the pit of her stomach. Why? Miguel wasn’t really anything to her. They had had a nice time the other night, but other than that there was nothing between them. So why the odd feeling when she saw him comforting La Guerta just now?

Suddenly Detective Sergeant Batista appeared before her. Michelle almost jumped!

“I’m sorry,” Angel apologized, “I didn’t mean to scare you, Mrs. Landau.”

Michelle nodded slightly.

“It’s okay.”

“Why don’t we go into an interview room?”

Michelle hesitated.

“Why? I thought you wanted me to just look over my statement?”

At that point, Miguel came out of La Guerta’s office. Michelle saw La Guerta close her blinds. A similar movement, of something being opened or closed, caught Michelle’s eye from her left.

It was that Dexter Morgan. He was re-adjusting his blinds so that they were kind of half open/closed. Michelle ignored the movement and focused on Miguel, who was walking towards Angel and herself.

“Mrs. Landau, what brings you down here?” Miguel asked.

Michelle nodded towards Angel.

“Detective Batista wanted to go over my statement, so that we’re sure there is no possible way that Quentin Costa can get away.” she told him. Miguel nodded then looked at Angel.

“Do you mind if I sit in?”

Angel shrugged.

“Not a problem. Mrs. Landau, this way.”

Michelle followed after Angel, only half glancing back at Miguel. He was looking towards Dexter’s office. She noted that Dexter was now peering out from behind his blinds. When they reached the interrogation room, Miguel pulled out a chair for Michelle, who smiled at him before he sat down next to her. Angel was across from them.

“Okay, let’s begin with why you took on Costa in the first place? You said he wanted a genitalia implant or something?” Angel asked, but Miguel’s eyes narrowed.

“I don’t like that type of language. Move on to something else.” Miguel ordered Angel. Angel looked at him as if he were crazy!

“Costa’s lawyer is just going to ask the same thing.”

Michelle rested a hand on Miguel’s arm. Angel eyed them but said nothing.

“It’s alright, Mr. Prado. I’ll answer. Yes, Quentin Costa wanted a penis. He apparently didn’t have one. I guess he was raping people with some kind of fake one or something.”

“Jesus!” Miguel hissed.

“Okay,” Angel said, eyeing Miguel again. “So you didn’t suspect a thing?”

“No. I mean he used a false I.D. and honestly, I don’t think I would’ve known him on the street.” Michelle said pointedly.

“Alright. So then fast forward to that night. You were working late?”

“Yes. Around 7:30 I locked my office and began to leave, when I saw something out of the corner of my eye coming towards me out of the darkness. I screamed and punched at something. I realized it was the man that I knew as Mr. Whitelaw.”

“I’m confused though on what he planned to do with you with a fresh implant? I mean he couldn’t really assault you with it just being stitched on fresh, could he?” Angel asked. Miguel rolled his eyes.

“What is the point of putting Mrs. Landau through this filthy questioning?” Miguel asked tiredly. “Costa’s defense attorney will never be able to justify his actions.”

Angel licked his lips and looked at them both.

“I’m going to just lay my cards on the table: La Guerta was a friend of Ellen Wolf’s. Ms. Wolf indicated to La Guerta that she had information on Mrs. Landau here, that would get the case thrown out of court. Mrs. Landau...you weren’t carrying on with Mr. Costa, were you?”

“Jesus!” Miguel hissed again. But Michelle placed a hand on his shoulder.

“I’ve got this.” she whispered and stood up. She was now staring down at Angel.

“I’m going to pretend I didn’t hear that.”

Angel stood up as well.

“I’m sorry, Mrs. Landau, but none of us want to see that animal go free. We have to clear up the holes in your story.”

Michelle’s mouth dropped open!

“My story has holes? Like?”

“Like why you drove home and called the police...”

“Uh no. I called the police while I was on the highway.”

“Well why didn’t you do it outside of your business building?”

Michelle folded her arms. She could see out of the corner of her eye that Miguel was agitated.

“Is this what this line of questioning is REALLY all about? Or is there something else?”

Angel gave both Michelle and Miguel looks.

“Like I said, we just want to make sure that whatever Ellen Wolf had on you...”

“She didn’t have anything on me. Detective Batista, “ Michelle said in a cool tone of voice, “I will tell you that she came by my office on a fishing expedition. She had a theory that Quentin was in love with my former fiancee, Christian Troy, and that by trying to date me, it would bring Christian back here.” Michelle lied.

“Ms. Wolf told you that?”

“She strongly implied it. By the way, I don’t like your attitude. I won’t be coming back here without my lawyer.”

“Mrs. Landau....”

“Callate, PUTA!” Miguel barked. Michelle closed her eyes. Lord, had Miguel said ‘shut-up BITCH’ to Angel?

Angel began yelling back, giving Michelle her answer. Miguel pointed at Angel.

“Watch yourself. It’s no wonder that you haven’t found my brother’s killer, with sloppy questioning such as that!” Miguel snapped then pulled Michelle out of the room, causing Angel to be all the more suspicious of their ‘relationship’.

Out in the hallway, Michelle took Miguel to task.

“Miguel, did you see the way he looked at us?! He suspects something.”

“And? I’ll have his shield before he can say a word. Plus, I have it on good authority that Detective Batista frequents prostitutes.”

“Oh.” Michelle said. Well, maybe that bit of information would keep Batista in line. She looked up at Miguel.

“What was that on the news about Kit McGraw?”

“Who?”

“Quentin Costa’s sister. Sergeant La Guerta implied that the police were looking at her for Ellen Wolf’s murder.”

Miguel said nothing and Michelle wondered for a moment, if there was something he couldn’t share with her.

“I think they’re looking at everyone. I just told Maria that chances were it was probably one of the dead bitch’s guilty clients, that she helped escape justice, that killed her.”

“Oh come on, Miguel! I mean she’s dead...why call her a bitch?”

“A dead bitch.”

“Okay, whatever! What’s going on with you? I mean she’s dead, so now we don’t have to worry.”

Miguel ignored her question.

“I won’t be able to come over tonight, my sweet. I’m going to be spending time with Maria. Just to make sure she’s alright.”

“Uh, first of all, I didn’t say you could come over.”

“I was going to anyway.” Miguel smiled down at her. Michelle smiled back, just as Dexter rounded the corner. Michelle noted that Miguel suddenly gave him quite the hateful look. Dexter ignored it and walked up to them.

“Hey, Michelle...Miguel, can I have a word with you, alone?”

Michelle looked from Miguel to Dexter. Something was wrong. If Dexter was still Miguel’s friend, he surely didn’t act like it.

“Of course. Mrs. Landau, thank you for coming down.” Miguel said, trying not to look at her as if she meant something to him, but failing miserably. Michelle nodded.

“No problem. Whatever we have to do to make sure that Quentin Costa is convicted.” Michelle said lightly, walking off. She walked down a hallway and took a left turn towards the elevators. She passed Maria La Guerta, who was speaking with a tall, lanky looking auburn haired woman. They both looked at her as she stopped in front of an elevator and hit the ‘Down’ button.

Michelle turned away from the elevator while waiting for it to open, and caught a glimpse of Miguel and Dexter. No. She had not been wrong. Their body language was sneaky, tense and downright hostile...the hostility all being on Miguel’s part. The elevator doors opened and Michelle stepped inside alone, something she was grateful for. Now she could relax. Ellen Wolf was no longer a threat. And while her preferred method of relief would’ve been that Ms. Wolf just drop the idea of hanging her out to dry, death would have to do...she guessed.

****

Michelle would never know what woke her up. Maybe it was the dream.

Or it was more like a nightmare.

Miguel was in this one. Miguel and Ellen Wolf. It involved Miguel carrying Ellen Wolf through a graveyard, then dumping her body in an open grave.

Michelle got out of bed and walked over to her terrace, opening the doors. The night air was cool, as she pondered the dream. It began to disturb her as she realized she couldn’t stop thinking about it. Why would she ever think Miguel would kill anybody, much less Ellen Wolf?

Maybe because Miguel kept telling her that ‘he would take care of things’, and that ‘Ellen Wolf would no longer be a problem’. And then there was this afternoon. Miguel didn’t think that Kit McGraw had anything to do with Ellen Wolf’s death. Then again, when one thought about it, would a woman have been able to carry another woman’s body through a graveyard, throw her in and cover her with dirt?

Not to mention beating, strangling and stabbing that said woman. Someone that could do that was filled with a lot of rage. And Michelle was beginning to get the uneasy feeling that the person that could do that, was the same person that had stuffed her full of cock last night on the stairs!

“Oh, Miguel,” Michelle murmured, “you couldn’t do something like that, could you?”

Muttering those words was the last thing she remembered...besides the sharp jab in her neck. Dexter Morgan let Michelle’s now slack body fall against him. Miguel would not back off. He was planning on blackmailing him with what he knew about his ‘nightly rituals’ and his ‘code’.

He planned to give Miguel Prado one last chance to back off. Making sure that Ellen Wolf’s body would be found had not been enough.

Putting on a show for the Assistant District Attorney might be. And Mrs. Landau would be the star.

END OF PART 2