Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer


- Text Size +
Story Notes:
If you haven't seen the movie this story contains spoilers. Beginning series of drabbles if I don't get lazy. Lazier that usual.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


The silence is loud as he watches his son’s glance move from him to that of the starship’s communication officer. The elder Vulcan recognizes the intimacy in the look. His glance moves around the room, his mind dissecting the ramifications of Spock’s choice, a choice the young Vulcan may not have been aware he has made. He watches the lieutenant’s face fill with pain as she stands silent unable to ease Spock’s pain as he gives up his command of the Enterprise. Her restraint tells him she understands the Vulcan way, more importantly she understands his son. He watches as Spock leaves behind his command and she steps closer offering her silent comfort. The bond between them vibrates along the bond between father and son and for a moment he allows himself to regret that the four of them father and mother, son and lover will never share a sunset on Vulcan. Spock’s departure from the bridge erases the feeling and he the father, Sarek walks past the young human to do what she cannot.

Inside the transporter room he stands watching his son, grieve. He waits understanding the sacrifice loss requires. He listens and waits.

They have faced this crisis of choice before and if he could allow himself he too would rage at the lost of his Amanda and weep at the beauty of her life. He listens as Spock speaks of his anger, his being torn by his dual heritages. What he hears beneath the pain is strength and promise. In the silence between them he too speaks his truths. “In your youth I once told you, you were fully capable of choosing your own destiny and you did so by joining Starfleet. Once again difficult choices are being demanded of you. With so few of our people surviving Nero’s destruction of Vulcan, many will question your judgment in staying in Starfleet and continuing your relationship with Lieutenant Uhura.” Sarek raises his hand to halt his son’s rejoinder. “I and anyone else who chooses to look closely enough can see what both the Enterprise and Lt. Uhura mean to you.” Staring past Spock to the transporter pad that his wife should have materialized on he grasps onto what remains of her inside him. “As you consider your future, consider this. Always trust yourself, your mother did.”

With those words between them the father leaves the son to begin a different life than either of them imagined.





Chapter End Notes:
Disclaimer: All main characters and the premise of Star Trek belongs to creator Gene Roddenberry, director/producer J.J. Abrams and Paramount Pictures. No disrespect intended I just wander into the same playground from time to time and humbly ask to be allowed to play.