Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


“Ahhhh”Gabriel said as he got out of the bed. He and Adam found a small spare room in third class. It only had one bed and it didn’t even have a toilet or anything but it was good enough for them. “That was the best sleep I have ever had”he said to Adam.

Adam only groaned as he pushed Gabriel’s feet out of his face. They both slept on opposite sides of the bed, just so they wouldn’t feel “funny” about sleeping together.

“And Im not hungry. This is the first time in a long time that I have woken up and wasn’t starving. Those chefs in first class sure know how to cook that….what was it?”he asked Adam

“I don’t know!”Adam said angrily.

“Geez,sleep on the wrong side of the bed?”Gabriel asked with a laugh as he got up.

“No….that first class food made me sick. I don’t feel so good”Adam said and groaned,”Ohmygod….my stomach”

“Well here, eat some of the breakfast food that Salomi gave us…that should make you feel better-“

“No Im not eating anything else on this damned ship!”Adam said

“Ok fine”Gabriel said. Then Adam got up and ran to the small leaking sink and threw up in it.”Oh great. I cant wash now”

“Glad to know that you care”Adam said and then threw up again. He then started running the water and washed his face and washed the sink out…almost. He then staggered back to the bed and collapsed in it.

“You are walking like your drunk, did you steal some moonshine too?”Gabriel asked with a laugh. Adam didn’t say anything. “You better not throw up in that bed”

“Gabe…please, my head is spinning. Can you leave or just be quiet!?”Adam pleaded as he laid there.

“Fine I’ll leave, but I think you should eat something. Now that you upchucked you probably feel better now…now you just gotta fill it back up again”Gabriel said. Adam shook his head,”Ok…”he said as he picked up some leftover croissants and walked out. He figured that he would be a good boy and not get into any trouble, at least until Adam was feeling like his old self.

He ate one of the croissants and realized that he didn’t have his cap. He must have lost it during his getaway chase last night. He walked up and saw the sun shining. A lot of people were walking on the deck and checking out the vastness of water all around them. He stopped and looked out at the water and then heard a familiar voice. He turned and saw Salomi, she hugged what looked like a father of hers and he kissed her cheek. He then walked off with another man and she sat down in a chair and started shuffling what looked like playing cards. He saw her lay some out in piles in front of her and from time to time she would look out at the water and then go back to the game.

He pulled a croissant out of his pocket and smiled as he walked over to her.”Croissant madam?”he asked in his worst French accent

She looked up and smiled,”You survived the first night I see”she said to him

“Well do you want it or not?”he asked her as he waved it in her face.

“No you can have it-“

“I have one”he said as he pulled one out of his pocket,”So…..?”

“Ok thanks”she said as she took it and ate it,”These are so good”she said with her mouth full

“Wow…where are the manners?”he asked her as he sat down next to her and laughed

“Manners? Whatever, Im not stuck up or stuck on manners like these first class people”she said as she flipped over a card and put a black 8 under a red 9.

“You’re saying that like you arent first class”he said with a laugh. She laughed a little and then was silent. He broke the silence,”What are you playing?”he asked her

“Oh…solitaire”she said,”I learned how to play it back home. I got pretty good at it and my father bought me some cards”she said

“Can I play?”he asked her

She laughed,”No you cant, its called solitaire for a reason. It’s a one person game….you know…..solitary?”

“Oh yeah”he said and laughed,”I guess you can tell that I haven’t played it before”he said as he scratched his blonde hair.

“Oh…did you lose something last night?”she asked him

“Um…my dignity…after you kicked me in my nuts”he said with a laugh, not really understanding her random question.

She laughed,”Well sorry but now you know you cant sneak up on me”she said and then reached down and pulled out his hat.

“I was wondering where that was”he said as she handed it to him.He put it on his head.”Thanks”

“Your welcome. Figured it was yours”she said to him,”So…did you and your friend have a divine feast last night?”she asked him as she continued to play

“Yes…oh and by the way, you are crazy because whatever that chicken stuff was…it was delish”he said with a smile

“Oh the filleted lamb or sheep or whatever”she said with a laugh as she put an ace of hearts next to an ace of spades.

“It was lamb? Hmmm…well it was good but my friend, Adam, he isn’t doing too good. Hes been feeling sick this morning, threw up all over the place and everything”

“Oh wow….did you think it was the food?”she asked him as she moved a red 5 under a black 6, she then flipped over a card and it was a king of hearts, she then moved a whole stack of cards under that one king card.

“It had to have been…he was fine before he ate”he said

“Oh…well did he take anything?”

“No. Hes just laying in bed. I mean we cant really afford anything”he said

“He should try taking a nice hot bath. That cures everything, well at least my dad thinks so”Salomi said,”Have him take bath”

“Not gonna happen”Gabriel said as he shook his head,”All we have is a sink..and hes been throwing up in it…none of us are gonna be clean today…”he said and then he checked his breath. It seemed fine.

“They don’t give you bathrooms in third class?”Salomi asked in shock

“They do…its just….our room is different”

“Why?”

Gabriel sighed. He didn’t think he should tell her but she wasn’t going to tell was she? If so she would have a long time ago. He looked around and then whispered,”Well don’t tell anyone but…we didn’t exactly pay to get onto this ship…if you know what I mean”

Salomi looked at him,”Really? You’re stowaways?”she asked in shock

“Yeah…”Gabriel said with a sigh. Maybe he was wrong about her…

“That’s so….wow….great! Spontaneous…must feel good. I mean the Titanic no less? You cant get any better than that”she said with a laugh

“My point exactly”Gabriel said, feeling relieved.

“So wait….if you didn’t pay that means….you don’t have a room do you?”she asked

“Oh we do, we broke into this room that is as big as a janitors closet”he said.”It has a bed and a sink…that’s enough for us…”he said

“Well now just a bed since your friend is throwing up all over the place?”she asked. He nodded and laughed a little,”Im sorry”she said and then got up,”Come on”she said to him

“What?”he asked her as he watched her pick up her cards. “It looks like you were winning”

“I was…but I will again. This is more important”she said as she started to walk.

“Where are we going?”he asked her as he followed her. She soon opened the door to her cabin.”Oh sneaky sneaky huh?”he asked her

“What?”she asked him

“Never mind”he said as she closed the door behind them.”Why am I here?”he asked her

“Because of this”she said as she opened a door and it was a fully operated bathroom, with a toilet, sink and bathtub.

“Now why would you tease me?”he asked her with a laugh and she gave him a towel.

“How can I be teasing you when you get to use it?”she asked him.”Don’t take too long”she said and closed the door.

He laughed to himself as he looked at the nicely decorated bathroom. He shrugged as he locked the door and started to run some water.

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

“Oh yes Dr. Livingstone’s procedures have saved many lives. You went to the right person”a man said to Vernon. He and Abraham overheard some doctors having a conversation and Dr. Livingstone’s name came up. Vernon and this man have been conversing ever since about his articles and procedures.

“Yes and very expensive too”Vernon said

“Oh nothing you cant handle Im sure”the man said

Abraham started to block out their conversation when he saw Dorothy come out of one of the restaurants. She looked much better than last night. She went over to the railing and looked out at the water. He reached in his pocket and touched the clip and walked over to her,”Hello there”he said as he came up to her.

She turned to him and then smiled when she realized it was him.”Watch out, you cant sneak up on me like that….I just might jump”she said and winked.

He smiled, she must be in a really good mood if she could joke about it.”We don’t want that do we?”he asked her.”So…how’s your day been?”

“Its been alright. Last night was tough. But I finally got to sleep and when I woke up this morning and I saw the sun rising….it put everything into a more beautiful perspective…”she said as she looked out at the water,”I cant stop looking at this water…its beautiful isn’t it?”

“It is. I probably wont see it again so I try to lock it into many memories that I will have”he said

“Oh you’ll be back. Now that you found gold? You are set for life arent you?”she asked him with a laugh

“Yes basically….”he said to her and then he said,”You forgot something in all the hoopla last night”he said as he pulled the dragonfly clip out of his pocket.

She gasped when she saw it and tears came to her eyes. She then smiled through her tears and hugged him.”Thank you…I thought I lost it”she whispered in his ear. She pulled away and held it in her hand and kissed it. She then put it in her hair,”You don’t know how much this means to me”she said to him

“Then tell me”he said to her

She looked at him. After last night, she felt like she could tell him anything. He told her that he lost his wife. He revealed his true feelings. Maybe opening up to someone would help. She knew she needed it. “Do you want some coffee?”she asked him,”We can chat over that”she said and laughed at how it rhymed.

“Sure”he said to her.

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

“You won!”Salomi said to Gabriel as he finished compiling four stacks of cards.

“Wow, solitaire is easy”Gabriel said to her. After he took his bath, he felt very refreshed. They walked along the deck and then Salomi taught him how to play.”So is this what you first class kids do? Play cards all day?”he asked her

“Im not a kid”Salomi said,”And…I don’t know…I mean its what I have been doing. Im not just a regular first class gal”she said

“Well first class gals arent regular if you ask me. But you’re right. You arent. Because if you were you would have hired someone to beat my ass for stealing your precious croissants, you would have hired someone to beat my ass again for using you as a scapegoat last night and you would have hired someone to beat my ass again for speaking to you this morning….and you have helped me everytime. So….no you arent regular”

“Thank you”she said,”I mean who really wants to be like everyone else?”she asked him

“So….what are you….I mean….”he said as he looked at her. She had a unique look to her. She was mixed when it came to race.

She laughed,”My mom was Cherokee native American and black. My father is Irish and Portuguese”

“Oh…sorry.It came out wrong”he said,”That’s very interesting”he said to her

“What are you?”she asked him

“Just plain white”he said with a laugh.”Where are you from?”

“California”she said,”You?”

“Tennesee”

“Wow….wheres that?”she asked him

“Um….about 300 miles from New York….further south and towards the west”he said

“What were you doing in London?”she asked him.

“Im a Carnie”

“A what?”

“A performer in a circus. That’s what they call us”he said

“Wow, a performer…what do you perform?”she asked him

“Are you asking for a free show?”he asked her,”Ok”he said,”Watch”he said to her. He knelt in front of the small table that was between them and he put his teeth on the edge and he slowly picked it up with his teeth.

“Oh shit”Salomi said as he put it back down.”That didn’t hurt?”

“Nope”he said with a laugh

“That was great”she said as she clapped,”I wish I had a special talent like that”she said,”I don’t have any talent”

“Oh you gotta be good at something”he said to her

“Well my dad always praises me for my math skills. He calls me the human register”she said with a laugh

“You’re that good huh?”he asked her. She nodded,”Ok whats….100 x 50?”he asked her

“5000”she said with a shrug

“16 x 35”

She thought for a second and then said,”560”

“Yeah…you’re good”he said with a laugh.

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

“Well Im sorry to hear about your mother”Abraham said to her after she filled him in on everything as they drank coffee. “The first few….years will be rough. But you just have to remind yourself that they are better now”

“Yes, she was sick for a long time”Dorothy said.”She’s better now…she would have loved to be here. She loves….loved water”she said,”Whats your fondest memory of your wife?”she asked him

He smiled and he was about to answer when Lucas came over to them.”There you are Dorothy”he said to her,”I need you”

“Can it wait?”she asked him. However, he didn’t listen as he pulled her along with him. She looked back at Abraham and mouthed “Sorry” to him. “This better be good”she said to Lucas as she followed him to whatever was important.

*_______________________*