Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


There was a lot of traffic in New York City and by the time Dorothy and Jules got back to his apartment, they could hear many people already counting down. The two of them didn’t pay anyone any mind as they kissed and walked at the same time, he was already taking her clothes off as he somehow unlocked his door. Their jackets, gloves and one of Dorothy’s shoes laid in the foyer as he picked her up and carried her upstairs as they kissed each other passionately, they both had at least 2 more glasses of champagne on the way over so if they were just inebriated when they left the Rainbow Room, they were drunk now. He kicked the door to his bedroom open and as he laid her down on the bed they could hear,”3…2…1….HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!”

In those three seconds, they were practically naked already,”Happy New Year baby”Jules said to her as he pulled off her satin panties.

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

“5…4…3…2…1…HAPPY NEW YEAR!”the crowd at ‘The Chapel’ yelled as streamers, balloons and more illegal bottles of liquor were popped open. Salomi grabbed Gabriel towards her and gave him a big kiss, he didn’t hesitate in returning the favor. Leon was doing the same with Darla, but his hands were in other places. “I love you baby”Salomi shouted to Gabriel

“I think you said that you loved me so I love you too!”Gabriel said with a laugh. They had only been there for 30 minutes but they all had 2 bottles of…some type of liquor, they couldn’t remember the name. “I think Im a little drunk”he said to her

Salomi nodded,”Me too!”she said as Darla hugged her and gave her a big kiss on the mouth. Salomi didn’t think anything of it, Darla stopped shocking her days ago. She just went with the flow now.

“Happy New Year Lomi. I love you so much!”Darla said to her,”You’re the bestest friend I have ever had”she said as she hugged her close and the two almost fell over. Gabriel and Leon hugged as well and watched the two girls and laughed

“Such lightweights these women are, but they are much better that way”Leon said and they laughed,”Ok Im starting to get claustrophobic”he said and then pointed to a balcony above the stage,”Lets go up there”he said,”We can breathe and drink” As they followed Leon, Gabriel made sure to hold Salomi close to him, a lot of men were staring at her and he felt overly overprotective, as they made their way upstairs, Darla said hello to many people, she must come here a lot. Upstairs certainly wasn’t packed, there were fewer tables and some rooms with closed doors. There was also a small bar but all the action was downstairs. Well…you would think. They bought two more bottles and sat down at a table. Gabriel and Salomi shared one and they both took big swigs and kissed,forgetting that anyone was in the room, well for a few seconds. Something caught Gabriel’s eye and he pulled away from Salomi,”What are you doing?”he asked with wide eyes.

Darla was sniffing a white substance, cocaine, off of a small coaster like surface. She passed it to Leon and he did a little but not much,”Im doing what everyone else is doing Cheese”she said, calling Gabriel by her new nickname for him. She picked it up carefully and set it down in front of Salomi and Gabriel,”Do it. Its instant…success”she said and she and Leon burst into laughter. “Go on, it wont kill ya. But they’re like cigarettes”she said as she held up the cigarette in the long holder that she was smoking,”Don’t inhale too much until you get used to it”

Gabriel stared at the cocaine and immediately had a flashback. He and Adam were in Germany celebrating after another performance and they were headed to France, some German teens threw a huge party and there was lots of whiskey and cocaine. Neither of them heard of it but they tried it and the next day he woke up, not remembering a thing, naked next to a girl he didn’t know. He had officially lost his virginity. It was wild but he wasn’t sure if he wanted to try again. He snapped out of his flashback just in time to see Salomi trying it. She sniffed it and then covered her face and laughed, sniffled and coughed. “Lomi? Are you alright?”

“Shes fine, normal reaction for her first time. You chicken, Cheese? Go on try it”Darla said

Gabriel leaned over and put his finger up to his left nostril and sniffed the rest of the cocaine with his right. He shook his head and blinked a little bit but he was soon fine and in minutes he was feeling…great. “You’re a pro. You done this before?”Leon asked him

Gabriel nodded,”Only one time, back in Germany. I wouldn’t say Im a pro”he said. But he did remember sniffing a lot and his nose bleeding a lot afterwards.

“You never told me that”Salomi said to him with a smile, she wasn’t upset, she actually didn’t know what she was feeling but she never knew he tried it before.”I think its great. No big deal…its like nose candy”

“Nose candy! Oh perfect! That’s so Jake”Darla said,”I made a new fan for my friend Coke and I don’t mean the soda pop”

Salomi laughed but after that everything seemed a blur. She remembered drinking the rest of the bottle with Gabriel, she may have even sniffed a little more cocaine, she remembered being in the bathroom with Darla every now and then and all of a sudden Gabriel was helping her into their apartment,”Wait…whats going on?”

“We’re home now”Gabriel said to her, his high from the cocaine was gone but he was pretty drunk but he was basically coherent

“What about the chapel?”

“Darla got bored again. She fell asleep on the bar after you two went to the bathroom and vomited. Leon’s taking her home now”Gabriel said as he laughed at the thought. Tonight was certainly wild. He led her into the bedroom,”Oh Im beat”he said, as he looked at his pocket watch,”5 am?”

Salomi took off her dress and stripped down to her bra and laced panties, she then turned around and faced Gabriel, but his back was turned to her,she cleared her throat.

Gabriel turned to her and smiled, damn she looked beautiful. Its been two months since she lost the baby but looking at her now, you never would have even guessed that she was ever pregnant. Her breasts were slightly fuller but she was always blessed in that department. They haven’t slept together since the doctor told them not to, he was afraid that he would break her somehow after the rough pregnancy that she went through, she lost a lot of blood. She still had that sexy small waist and more hips. “Damn your beautiful Lomi”

“You too”she said as she walked up to him,”We have to start this new year fresh and new. We arent going to go to bed another night without making love to each other are we?”

Gabriel shook his head,”I always wanted to make love to you, I was just being careful”

“Well lets not be careful anymore”Salomi said as she laid down on the bed,”Make love to me? Please?”

Before she could even beg again, he was on top of her with his pants down. He slowly entered her and then she stopped him,”What? Whats wrong?”

“I don’t want to have children”she said as she looked at him with a very serious but very drunk look. But he knew that she meant business and he was going to take her seriously, he knew she meant it. He nodded, hoping that was only a temporary wish and then slowly but surely started to make love to her but in minutes it turned very intense, animalistic even. Soon she was biting him and digging her nails into his back as they tried many different positions. They went for hours and the sun had already risen and many other people were starting their day as their night was just ending. By 10 am, they both were fast asleep in each others arms.

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

1918 was indeed a prosperous year. Dorothy and Jules continued to have their affair but were very careful and no one suspected. She modeled for William and soon the paintings and photos of herself were selling fast. Soon her face was even on stamps and she made a lot of money doing it. She also enjoyed it and decided to pursue this instead of films. She never found a script that she liked anyway. Jules supported her through everything.

Darla and Salomi became closer than close after the new year. They were seen everyday together, shopping, riding their bicycles. Darla even taught Salomi how to drive…fast. They frequented many parties with Leon and Gabriel and they always went to ‘the chapel’ and partied the night away. For once, Salomi felt like she was happy with her life and that the new year brought her a whole new one. She rarely thought about the death of Uncle Vernie and her baby. It was like they never existed, but she didn’t want them to.

Gabriel and Leon became the next big thing indeed. They were soon performing along side the likes of Bert Williams and they appeared on Broadway with the likes of Ziegfeld and his Follies. Gabriel Brewster was a household name and he and Leon were making a lot of money at it. Gabriel saved up and even bought an apartment for him and Salomi. They were holding off on getting married but they were still engaged and he felt that once their lives settled down a little, they could get married since they already had their place. It was in the same building as Dorothy’s apartment, just a few floors up. However, one would have suspected that they were moving to California the way that Salomi and Dorothy cried and held each other.

By the summer of 1918, the war overseas became worse. America was not only an ally and munitions supplier but they were deeply involved with the war like other countries. Thousands of lives were lost but it seemed so far away. America wasn’t a battlefield at all so many Americans thought that it was just distant news. The economy was very prosperous and like everyone else, Gabriel invested in many stocks, bringing in more money. However, as quickly as he made the money, Salomi spent it. She started spending a lot of the money that Vernon had given her. At first, she spent a lot of it on clothes and shoes for both her and Darla. She surprised Gabriel one day by buying him a car but then she started paying Darla to get her cocaine and illegal liquor. Gabriel hadn’t touched the cocaine since new years but it seemed that Salomi was very much keeping up on it.

“Sandwich sir?”Ola, the young woman from Ireland that Gabriel hired as a housekeeper, asked him as he walked into the apartment after a late night of performing. Leon tried to convince him to go to another party, but he was just too tired tonight. He wanted to spend some quality time with Salomi anyway. Now it wasn’t rare that they would go a whole week and only seeing each other a handful of times.

“No thank you Ola. Im turning in for the night”he said to her and went straight upstairs. He walked into the bedroom and saw that the bathroom light was on,”Huney Im home”he said as he walked toward the bathroom and stood in the doorway. His happy mood faltered though at what he saw. Salomi was sniffing cocaine. She looked up and smiled at him. “Where did you get that?”

“Darla”she said. She took his hands in hers and kissed them and then kissed his cheek and hugged him close,”I missed you. How was it?”

“Same as any other night. Sold out”he said cockily and then laughed. He was still very humble even after all of the fame, unlike Leon who had cocky spurts often. He looked at her, she was still very beautiful…but she had powder on her nose,”When did you start doing that?”he asked her, getting serious again. “We haven’t done it since New Years”

“You haven’t done it since New Years”Salomi said with a shrug.”I try it…every now and then…”

“How much is every now and then?”Gabriel asked her,”I never knew this, why didn’t you tell me?”

“Its not that often Gabriel. I thought it would be fine, I mean you tried it before”

“Yes and I did it on two occasions. Can I say the same for you?”

“No its been a little more than that”

“How much more?”he asked her

“4”she lied. She couldn’t even count how many times she did it but she didn’t want him to be mad at her. She couldn’t risk it, she never saw him and she sometimes got paranoid. “Darla doesn’t give me much and she gives it to me at a cheap price”

“Can you not do it anymore? I mean it is illegal, I don’t care how good it feels. You don’t know what it can do to you”he said to her

Salomi nodded,”Fine I wont”she said.”Are you mad at me?”

“No Im not. Why do you always think I am?”he asked her

“I don’t know…I just have to…check”she said as she smiled lazily. The cocaine was starting to get to her. She wiped the hair out of her face and he noticed something.

“Wheres your engagement ring?”he asked her

“Oh, here”she said as she pulled out the small silver necklace that he had given to her for her 18th birthday months before. The ring was hanging around her neck. “I almost lost it one night when Darla and I went to ‘the chapel’. I put it on the necklace so that I wont lose it. Its closer to my heart anyway”she said with a smile.She gave him a kiss,”You still want to marry me?”

“Yes of course. I want to spend the rest of my life with you”he said to her as he held her,”Which reminds me, I wanted to talk to you about that. We have been engaged for a year now, don’t you want to start planning?”

Salomi shook her head,”I still don’t feel its right yet. We barely see each other. Lets wait until you and Leon sign your contracts again. You two are very busy right now and your talking about touring? Lets wait until life is more stable”she said as she walked into the bedroom

Gabriel sighed, he didn’t like that answer but she was probably right. Weddings were hard to plan especially when your life was so busy. “Besides we’re young, we have our whole life ahead of us”she said as she took off her robe, revealing a short satin and lace nightgown and laid on the bed

He smiled and walked over to the bed and stripped down and laid beside her. As he did so, he recognized the look in her eye, she wanted him and now. He immediately started to kiss on her neck as his hands roamed her body. She didn’t even have to ask anymore, he always knew and she loved him so much for it. They did a lot of ‘petting’ lately, which was much more common. Couples weren’t having intercourse as much and were doing the whole ‘petting’ phenomenon. And that’s just what they did. Their hands roamed each other’s bodies but nothing ever penetrated…until they couldn’t take it anymore and soon they were doing their animalistic lovemaking again. They always did that for hours, enduring a lot of sweat, tears, scratches on each others backs and many loud moans and then they were soon asleep like little children.

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

After making love to Gabriel the night before, Salomi was convinced that maybe Gabriel was right. Cocaine was illegal for a reason, even though Darla and Leon thought differently. They thought that all the prohibitionists were ‘stuffy assholes’ and making harmless substances such as liquor and cocaine illegal showed that none of them wanted to move forward but instead stay old fashioned. There was so much economic prosperity and they were just seen as people who were slowing that down. Both Darla and Leon were also involved in a local rum row on Long Island. This rum row helped to import illegal liquor to local speakeasy’s in New York and the two made a fortune, they were a great team. Darla was infatuated with Leon and when she wasn’t with Salomi, she was with Leon either doing something illegal or ‘petting’ him. Salomi decided to not buy cocaine from Darla anymore and settled on alcohol. Darla was appalled when Salomi said this.

“Wait…so Gabriel hasn’t done it with you since new years?”Darla asked her

“No, he explained to me that the first time he had done it in Germany, he suffered a lot of nose bleeds and lost his virginity to some girl while he was on Coke. He doesn’t remember a thing and he doesn’t like that feeling, he doesn’t want me to go through that. I mean its illegal for a reason Dar, I worry about you. I always worry when you pick it up for me. I sometimes think those prohibitionists are watching all of us and I don’t want them to catch you”

“That’s what they want you to think! They want all of us to fear them. Nothing is going to happen to me Salomi. Im very careful and thank you for worrying, its sweet really but I’ll be fine. However, Sal, you’re my richest customer, Im gonna lose a lot of profit if you don’t buy anymore”

“Oh God Dar, please don’t make me feel guilty-“

“Then be careful when you use it. Don’t do it in the house anymore. What he wont know wont hurt him”

“I cant Dar. I don’t like lying to him and I didn’t like the look on his face when he caught me. You’ll find other customers, Leon knows many rich people. You’ll replace me soon enough”Salomi promised her. The two argued for awhile and Darla left her apartment in a huff, leaving Salomi feeling angry and guilty at the same time. This was the first time the two of them had argued since they had met and she didn’t like that it was over cocaine.

Later that night, Gabriel came home after a long rehearsal with Leon, Ziegfeld and the Follies. They were working on their Thanksgiving extravaganza and were currently casting for the Christmas and New Year show. They were very busy now. She was in low spirits and they drank some brandy as he tried to console her. “She thinks we are like the stuffy assholes now. She’ll get over it. Your friendship isn’t going to end because of cocaine. If so, it was never a friendship”he told her

“I know, but its crazy. I miss her already”Salomi said with a laugh. “What if she never speaks to me again? She looked really hurt. Im her moneymaker and she feels shes not going to get a profit anymore”

“Leon knows many people. Clara Bow is in town and I hear she needs that shit like sugar. She’ll replace you”

“That’s what I told her!”Salomi explained as she finished off the brandy. She was pretty inebriated now and soon the subject was forgotten when Gabriel had that look in his eye, they had gone a few nights without making love since he was so busy or she was out with Darla. They made love through the night and they woke up early the next afternoon and did it again. “Oh God Gabriel, I love you so much”she said as he massaged her breasts with one hand and fingered her with the other. She was just about to cum when their bedroom door burst open and the two of them jumped away from each other and covered themselves up with a blanket. It was Darla and Leon and they were both drunk. Why? It was almost 4pm! “What the hell is wrong with you two! We were busy!”she exclaimed.

“Its over! Its all over finally!”Darla said excitedly as she jumped onto the bed, not caring or probably not knowing that the two were naked.

“What is?!”Salomi asked her. She was still upset with her from the night before and she was sure as hell upset with her now. She was so close to being so satisfied.

“The war! Its over! The troops are coming home! Its been a long 4 years but its finally over!”Darla said excitedly

*________________________*