Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
stories/537/images/smalluntiltheendoftime1.png


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


“Wow sweetheart, you are going to come back arent you?”Dorothy asked Salomi as she walked into Salomi and Gabriel’s apartment. She hadn’t seen it since they first moved in and it was very glamorous. Gabriel was making a nice chunk of change. She was commenting about the huge pile of luggage that was sitting in the foyer. Gabriel, Leon, Salomi and Darla were leaving for Long Island later that night and for the next 2 ½ months they were going to be touring the east coast. She was glad that Gabriel was taking Salomi with him. He had expressed his worry over Salomi. While he was busy working, Salomi was busy partying with Darla. She hadn’t mentioned the engagement or any wedding plans since the baby died. He was upset that Dorothy and Jules were tying the knot before them, its been 3 years almost. Dorothy assured him that taking Salomi on tour with him will get her back on track. She needed to leave the temptations of the city and the more time she spent with him instead of partying with Darla, it would all fall together. However, she wasn’t happy that Darla was going as well. But Leon had said,”If Darla aint coming, then you’ll have to do it solo” But Gabriel wasn’t complaining. Dorothy was the only one that was however. She just didn’t trust Darla that much, she was too wild.

So when Salomi invited Dorothy over for tea to catch up before they left, Dorothy decided that this would be the perfect time to talk some sense into her, just to help out Gabriel.

Salomi giggled,”Yes we are. Im just packing a lot just in case. I know its going to be freezing around here, Vermont, all those places. But then again we may even go to Florida as well. Its getting warm there already”she said as she ushered Dorothy into the library. Heidi was setting the table for them,”You remember Heidi don’t you?”she asked Dorothy quickly. Ever since Darla expressed her distrust, Salomi couldn’t get it out of her head. She acted a little awkward around her. Even though Heidi covered up her breasts now, but Salomi didn’t notice. They were still big.

“Yes its good to see you again Heidi”Dorothy said to her. Heidi smiled and curtsied.”Oh you don’t have to do that”she said and blushed.

“Tea soon”Heidi said and rushed out

“Shes sweet”Dorothy said as she and Salomi sat down,”Ola was sweet too. I don’t know which one I like better”

“I liked Ola better”Salomi said, then sighed, great she said it out loud.

“Why so?”

“Oh….we were closer. I could talk to her. Heidi can barely speak our language”

“Then teach her. That would be a great way to bond.”Salomi just shrugged as Heidi came back in with some pastries and tea.”Thank you”Dorothy said politely

“Thank you Heidi”Salomi said quietly as Heidi poured them their tea and then shuffled out. She put a lot of sugar in her tea and chewed on a pastry, she chewed silently as Dorothy carefully made the tea to her liking. She then had an idea,”Why don’t we have some gin? You know to get the celebrations going”she said with a smile,”Your getting married in 2 weeks and Gabriel and Leon are doing their first vaudeville tour. We all are finally moving on with our lives”

Dorothy smiled,”Thanks but no thanks. I’d rather celebrate with tea thank you”she said. Gabriel said that Salomi drank a lot. Some nights he would come home to find her passed out on the bed, one time she didn’t reach the bed and she was on the floor. “Gabriel tells me that gin is your best friend”

Salomi shrugged,”Gin is the drink of New York”

“Sure it is”Dorothy said

“What? What has Gabriel said?”Salomi asked. “Hes been telling on me hasn’t he?”

“No he hasn’t. I merely asked how you were one time and he mentioned that you were sleeping like a baby since you had too much gin”Dorothy lied.”We are all too old to be telling on each other arent we?”she asked her with a smile

Salomi sighed and then nodded,”Yes”she said,”So how are the wedding plans coming?”she asked her. She felt bad. She was the maid of honor and hadn’t had time to help out at all. All she did was help pick out colors. Blue and beige were the colors.

“They came”she said,”Everything's basically taken care of. Your dress fits now yes?”she asked her.Salomi nodded. Her breasts didn’t agree with the original dress.

“Im having it sent to Long Island a few days before the wedding. Im afraid to pack it with everything”Salomi said. Fortunately, the day before they were to leave Long Island and set off for New Jersey, Dorothy and Jules’ wedding was going to take place. Gatsby was even going to host the reception at his house no less since he was a big fan of Gabriel and Leon’s act and also a fan of Dorothy’s work.

Dorothy smiled, she felt like a little girl again,”Now all I have to do is wait”she said,”Quite frankly I just want to get it over with so we can spend our lives together” Salomi nodded. “And spend it right too”she said. She was still getting over the whole ‘mistress’ situation. Greta was still meddling with Julian’s nerves, always asking for something and if he refused, she would threaten to call her lawyers. She was a bitch that wanted everything he worked for for revenge. “So,what about you?”Dorothy asked her,”When am I walking you down the aisle?”

Salomi made a small smile. When she was little and when she first fell in love with Gabriel, she talked about her wedding to him and how she wanted Dorothy to give her away since her father couldn’t. That touched Dorothy so much that she cried. She agreed and now here they were. “We are still trying to decide. Im waiting til the moment is right”

“And when will that be? You have been engaged for almost 3 years-“

“Hey, he told me that we could be engaged for as long as we wanted to. He wasn’t going to rush me”Salomi said. Dorothy gave her a look. A look that she hated. “Oh come off it Dorothy, Im young, we both are. Anyway, Gabriel is so busy-“

“You can still plan a wedding and go on with your life. Your life or his doesn’t have to stop so you can start a life together. I bet you all the money I have that Gabriel will give up that stage to plan a wedding for the both of you”

“Your that sure huh?”

Dorothy nodded. Gabriel also told her so. “But will you?”

“Will I what?”

“Give up all the late night partying to settle down with Gabriel?”Dorothy asked her.”Salomi, Gabriel…hes a great man, yes, hes a man now. Hes been taking care of you since you were 12, almost 10 years. Hes a good man- hes good looking, devoted and in love with you. Any woman out there would love to be in your position right now”

Salomi sighed,”I know. I see them”she said. She sometimes got jealous of the female fans that Gabriel had but he was good at warding them off. Again something else that Darla mentioned that she couldn’t get her mind off of. “I just don’t want to rush Dorothy I don’t wanna be like you that’s all”

“Like me?”

“Well I mean, you two basically had to get married. You said so yourself. You had to marry him or rumors would keep flying. Your marrying Jules to protect your reputation-“

“That’s enough”Dorothy said sternly,”That’s not all. It was suggested that we do. And besides we thought about it, what was there to lose? What was there to wait for? I loved him before that happened and I loved him more after because he stood by me. Im not marrying Jules just because I didn’t want to be a mistress anymore. Im marrying him because Im in love with him, hes in love with me and we want to spend the rest of our lives together, have a family. Don’t you want that?”

“Yes I want to spend the rest of my life with him but not yet-“

“Don’t you want to be the mother of his children?”

Salomi tensed up,”Ive tried. We tried remember? Im not doing that again”

Dorothy sighed,”I know. But…it was an accident sweetheart you know that right? The baby was perfectly healthy before you….”

“Before I what? Killed it?”

“No! No Salomi! That’s nonsense! Do you think that? You think that’s the way I see it? No, it was an accident like I said before. It wasn’t planned”

“It’s a curse”Salomi said,”My grandmother cursed me”

Dorothy sighed,Gabriel had told her this story before,”No its just a coincidence”

“No its not”Salomi said,”Father told me that my mother sometimes caught my grandmother doing weird things, you know, witchcraft. Spells, speaking in tongues and all that”

“It was probably some Indian ritual. Your grandmother was full blooded”

“Native American”Salomi corrected her,”And no it wasn’t. My mother was sure of it. Before my mother ran off with my father, she went crazy, speaking in tongues and saying that they would regret it, if it’s the last thing that she did. She said that. ‘If it’s the last thing I do, you’ll regret this!’. She said that to them”

“She was obviously angry Lomi. Her daughter was running away-“

“It doesn’t matter. I think she tried to kill me and my mother. She got away with part of it but I still survived. She never wrote, she never cared and that fateful trip there? She didn’t give a shit. And then I-“she stopped,”No….Im not having kids. And Im not going through with this wedding until I feel comfortable, do you understand!?”she yelled. She then got up and went and poured herself some gin and gulped it down.

Dorothy stared at Salomi in shock. Gabriel was right but he didn’t see the whole picture. Whenever Salomi was upset she turned to alchol, she barely drank her tea but she gulped down the gin quite quickly. She had to stop this before its too late, her own father turned to whiskey everytime he was upset or bored before he left. She didn’t want Salomi to turn into that,”I suggest you put the alcohol down”she said as she got up and walked toward her and snatched the glass away from her,”You know I didn’t mean anything by it, stop being so hysterical. I suggest that you get rid of this mess”she said as she put the gin and glass back in the cabinet,”Its turning you into a nutcase”

Salomi stared at her angrily,”You arent my mother Dorothy, you never were! And you never will be! Stop treating me like a child!”she shouted at her.

Dorothy stepped back in shock. She could feel tears forming in her eyes. She composed herself quickly,”Well if that’s the way you want it”she said as she walked over and got her coat and purse,”I’ll see myself out. See you in 2 weeks”she said sternly and stomped out of the library and slammed the door. Salomi felt a tear roll down her cheek. Why did she say that? She didn’t mean it.

“Im sorry. I didn’t mean it”Salomi said to herself as she took the glass and gin out of the cabinet and poured herself another glass. Heidi came back into the room with more pastries and stopped in her tracks.

“Ms. Gibson?”she asked

“She’s gone”Salomi said,”You can clean up now. I’ll be in my room”she said as she took the bottle of gin and her glass and went to the bedroom and locked the door behind her.

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

“Salomi better be ready”Gabriel commented as Leon drove him and Darla toward Gabriel and Salomi’s apartment. “I hope she wont take as much time getting ready as you did. Its after midnight now we are going to miss our train”

Darla laughed,”Oh you’ll be fine Gabriel. I bet Salomi is sitting by the door waiting for your grand entrance”she said. Leon parked the car and they walked into the apartment and they were met with many bags,”See what did I tell you? She's all ready aint she?”she said,”My goodness, so much luggage”

“Salomi’s a packrat. She's probably in the bedroom”Gabriel said as he ran up the steps,”Salomi? We are here now. You have 10 minutes, we are going to be late-“he said and then stopped when he saw Salomi passed out on the bed. A bottle of gin and a glass was beside her. He sighed.

Darla giggled,”She started the party already!”she said as she ran over to Salomi and jumped on the bed before Gabriel could stop her. Salomi stirred and looked at Darla confusingly,”Get up. Cheese says we have ten minutes to leave or we will leave you”she said.

“Huh?”Salomi asked. Nothing made sense and her vision was blurry

“Oh huney, you smell like gin”Darla said as she got up and sprayed some perfume on her. Salomi sneezed,”Sorry but its for your own good. Lets go, we are off to Long Island, the island of the strong and rich”

Gabriel sat next to her and helped Salomi sit up, not only was she disoriented but she was a little sloppy. She was wearing the same clothes that he left her in when he left earlier that day but now there was a stain and parts were soaked with sweat. He hoped that was enough to sweat all the alcohol out of her system. “Come on babe. You don’t even have time to change. The cab will be here any minute to take us to the train station”

“Train station?”Salomi asked

“Yes, we are going to Long Island. Our train leaves in less than 30 minutes baby, please we cant miss it and its too late for a refund”he said to her urgently

However, Salomi snatched her hand away,”What do you mean the train!? What do you mean?”she asked angrily

“Well how else are we gonna get there doll? Fly?”Darla asked with a laugh

“Gabriel! How could you! Why the hell would you buy train tickets!”Salomi continued, ignoring Darla.

“Because I’d rather not drive two hours when the train can get us there in 45 minutes-“

“DID YOU EVEN STOP TO THINK ABOUT ME!? I DON’T WANT TO GET ON THE TRAIN GABRIEL, IT'S OUT OF THE QUESTION!”she yelled

“You!? Salomi what the hell are you yelling about!?”he asked her angrily. He didn’t need this right now. He was tired. He just wanted to get to the hotel on Long Island and get some rest before their rehearsal tomorrow morning. That’s all he wanted to do was just get there and get rest. But Salomi wasn’t making it easier. She was acting like a drunk nutcase and he didn’t know why.

“REMEMBER THE LAST TIME I GOT ON A FUCKING TRAIN GABRIEL!? DO YOU!? OR HAVE YOU BEEN TOO BUSY TO REMEMBER!?”Salomi yelled at him

Gabriel stopped. He hadn’t thought of that. But he did mention to Salomi several times that they were going to catch a train and she didn’t have a problem with it. Now it was a problem for obvious reasons. “Baby I just didn’t want to drive for two hours and I didn’t want to stop at a service station every 30 minutes-“

“I WOULD RATHER DRIVE TWO HOURS THAN HAVE THE RISK OF KILLING MYSELF AGAIN! GOD GABRIEL! I THOUGHT YOU CARED ABOUT ME! HOW COULD YOU POSSIBLY THINK THAT GETTING ON A TRAIN WAS A GOOD IDEA WHEN OUR BABY DIED FROM IT!”she shouted at him. She was standing on the bed now, looking down at him, like she was levitating above him. All she needed was a hat and broomstick.

Darla gasped when Salomi said this. Salomi never mentioned that she and Gabriel had a child. “Lets go”Leon said and pulled her out of the room and closed the door behind them.

“Maybe we should-“

“No…just let Gabriel deal with it. Its too personal”Leon said. Gabriel told Leon all about what happened to the baby. He knew everything and how much it still hurt the both of them.

“Should I?”Heidi asked as she walked up to them. Darla glared at her and she immediately looked down.

“No, they just need to be alone”Leon said

“Coffee? Tea?”she asked

“Sure thing, thank you”Leon said,”Darla?”

“I’d rather not”Darla said as she touched her blond bob and walked downstairs with them and went straight into the bathroom.

“Salomi listen to me”Gabriel said as tears fell down his face. How could he have been so stupid? Why would Salomi want to get on a train again after what happened? He walked up to the bed and wrapped his arms around her trembling legs as she stood on the mattress. “I didn’t mean it, I wasn’t thinking. I forgot alright? I forgot. That’s what we have been doing this whole time, forgetting. We tried to forget that we were ever pregnant, that it ever happened, that we ever got on a train but we cant baby. Im sorry Salomi…Im so sorry. I thought it was fine, I thought I was doing right by you”he said

Salomi sank to her knees and held Gabriel close to her. She smelled like gin. He knew she probably drank all of it. Didn’t Dorothy come over and put some words of wisdom into her head? “I cant get on that train Gabriel. I just cant”she sobbed. He rocked her back and forth as she sobbed, holding her like a child.

“Look. Listen”Gabriel said as he held her chin in his hands and forced her to look at him,”Im sorry Salomi. You know I love you. We wont get on that train, not if your like this. I’ll drive us to Long Island, we’ll fit as much luggage as we can into the car and the rest we can send with Darla and Leon on the train. Theres no point in wasting 4 tickets. They’ll get there before we do and by the time we get to the hotel, all the checking in will be taken care of and we can go straight to sleep. We have a busy day tomorrow with rehearsals and all. Is that alright with you? We’ll take the car. I’ll drive”he said. Salomi nodded and hugged him. “Now why don’t you take a quick bath”he said as he ran some water for her.

Heidi packed the car with as much luggage it could hold, which was more than he expected. He sent the few remaining bags with Leon and Darla,they caught the train just in time. Salomi was more relaxed after her bath and Heidi gave her some soup and bread. They got in the car and she apologized the whole way and told him about the fight she had with Dorothy. It was a little past 3 am when they arrived at the hotel. The two of them went straight to sleep.

*________________________________*