Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
stories/537/images/smalluntiltheendoftime1.png


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Gabriel and Beth gave each other the silent treatment. Gabriel was disappointed in Beth and didn’t even look at her, however, he only talked to her when McNamara was in the same room. He couldn’t find out what happened, he could lose this job for sure. Beth was content in not having her father know. It was embarassing anyway, being turned down again. She made her own routine so she could forget that Gabriel even existed. She worked hard on the farm, went out with Mary Ann and Sue but spent most of her free time with Bobby. At first she did so because she started to feel comfortable around him, she felt she could tell him anything. Then things got deeper than just conversation. She loved him much to Mary Ann’s dismay. Gabriel threw himself into his work as well but he also threw himself into the election. It was fast approaching and he was counting on Roosevelt to win so he can go home and hold Salomi again, to get away from this dull town, to chase his children around the house. They were so grown up now. Despite their letters, he was afraid that they might have forgotten about him.

This led to very passionate discussions about the upcoming election at the dinner table. Gabriel, Robin and McNamara were all avid supporters for Roosevelt. Beth never listened. She didn’t really understand politics. She was only going to vote for Hoover because she heard from Gabriel that he was the reason why they were here in the first place. She didn’t give a damn until Bobby enlightened her. “Now Roosevelt is a good man but his legislation's on our agriculture just shocks me”

“How do you mean?”

“He thinks that if we farmers sell parts of our land, land that has been in our families for years, that it would help the economy. Now that would be well and dandy if he asked the rich to give up some of their vacation homes in Cape Cod or wherever but oh no, because of course, he has one probably two”

“So you think that if he is elected that Daddy would have to give up some of our land?”she asked in shock, the same land that her mother loved very much.

“Yes, he said so himself in one of his campaigns, and not only that, he thinks that with smaller crops we would also need less animals under our care. So hes paying us to sell our crops but hes also paying us to kill our four legged friends”Bobby shook his head,”That I don’t like so much”

“Me either, Bobby, me either”Beth said and she said so during one of Gabriel’s “praise sessions”, as she called them. “Roosevelt isnt God, you know”she said to him

Gabriel barely looked at her,”Your right, but what do you know, Beth?”he said to her, as nonchalantly as possible so McNamara wouldn’t catch on that he didn’t give a shit about what Beth thought.

“I love this land too much. I grew up on this land and I am not giving it up so the rich can get richer”Beth said. Robin and McNamara raised their eyebrows.

“Well a lot of us have to make sacrifices so that we can all survive. Consider yourself lucky Beth, yes maybe you will have to give up a few crops but that’s better than having to give up everything”Gabriel said. “We need change. I lost my job, my home and my family are miles away because of this. Giving up a little is a blessing, especially when everything has been taken from you”

“I would agree with you if everything wasn’t a double standard. I don’t see any of the rich having to give up some of their vacation homes. I bet Roosevelt himself has a few”

“Your looking at one. I had to sell a beautiful penthouse for a broken down apartment with two rooms. You might want to check your sources”Gabriel said as he stood up,”Excuse me”he said and went out to smoke a cigarette.

“Wow, huney, I didn’t know you were so passionate about politics”McNamara said with slight admiration. “But women shouldn’t talk of such things with men, its not lady like”

Beth stared at her father in shock,”Excuse me”she said and left in a huff.

“What? What did I say?”McNamara asked Robin as he chuckled. Ruth was outspoken herself and if she heard McNamara say such things, she would do the same.

Beth left the house and passed Gabriel without saying a word and walked to Bobby’s. He was the only one who understood.

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

The election got heated up indeed and the big day came and all of America went to the polls. Beth didn’t care if Gabriel left or not, she wanted to be right. She did not want Roosevelt to win, she wanted to keep her land. Later that night, all of America were sitting next to a radio anxiously waiting for the results. Roosevelt won with 57% of the votes. Robin and McNamara danced around the room as Gabriel cried tears of joy. Beth and Bobby frowned when they heard the news. “Turn that off”she said. Bobby did. “Make love to me”she asked. And he did.

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

Back in New York, Salomi cried tears of joy as well as she watched people dancing in the streets below. It was like it was a new year and it felt very much so. Roosevelt was all about change and moving forward. She and Ruth held hands as they watched the celebration and listened to Roosevelt’s acceptance speech: “Throughout the nation men and women, forgotten in the political philosophy of the Government, look to us here for guidance and for more equitable opportunity to share in the distribution of national wealth... I pledge you, I pledge myself to a new deal for the American people... This is more than a political campaign. It is a call to arms”

Salomi sighed,"Should I feel wrong for being scared?"she asked Ruth

"Scared? No, you feel how you feel. But what are you scared of?"

"Of putting all of my hopes on one person. I am happy that Roosevelt won but I am scared. He has so much work on his plate and he himself promised us that he will send Gabe and Robin home. What if that doesnt happen?"

"Roosevelt knows what he signed up for. Its admirable of him and if he helps us through this Depression, he will be the best president since Lincoln. I have a good feeling that he will do what he has set out to do. However, we have to remember that change wont happen overnight. They wont walk in that door tomorrow. It may be another two years"Ruth said with a sigh.

"I know. I just miss him so much"Salomi said as she looked around their apartment. The money they sent was a blessing and they were able to fix everything as well as decorate the place and stock the cupboards and icebox. Ruth nodded sadly, feeling the same way. "Whats wrong?"she asked her,"Has he written back yet?"

Ruth shook her head sadly. "I havent heard from him since I told him the truth. Do you think hes upset with me? Has Gabriel said anything?"

Salomi shook her head,"Maybe they are just busy. Gabriel did mention that. Maybe Robin doesnt know what to say. Maybe he is upset"

"What if there's someone else?"

"No, dont go down that route. It will drive you crazy"Salomi insisted. She knew all too well. She bet the girls were swooning all over Gabriel's muscular body complete with blue eyes and charming personality. "Robin has no right to be mad at you. Its not your fault. Maybe you two can keep trying when he comes back, doctors dont know shit nowadays. Keep writing, dont give up"

"Robin has always wanted a son. Someone to carry on his name"

"Adopt. Dorothy and Jules were thinking of doing the same thing before they...."

Ruth nodded,"Its not the same. Blood is thicker than water and all that"

Salomi grabbed Ruth's hand,"You and Robin and Dorothy have proved to me that sometimes blood doesnt mean anything"she said,"Dont give up. Its a time of change, maybe something can happen"

"Is daddy coming home now?"a little voice interrupted them. The two women turned and saw Rita standing in the doorway that separated the only bedroom from the living area. "Daddy said when Roosevelt is president, he can come home"she said. Salomi smiled at her and beckoned the young girl to come to them.

"We are hoping so. Roosevelt got him that job in Kansas and he promised that he will work hard at getting him back here and making the economy better. He wont be coming home now, but he will soon"Salomi said to her as she stroked her hair and kissed her forehead. The three of them sat in silence as they listened to the radio. They all had smiles on their faces as they listened to the celebration outdoors. Their hope for a better future was alive and strong and it was going to stay that way for Gabriel and Robin's sake.

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

It seemed that President Roosevelt's team hit the ground running and developed programs that were specifically for the Great Depression. These series of programs were all apart of The New Deal. These programs had three main ideas in mind: relief for the unemployed and poor, recovery of the economy and reform the financial system so that another Depression would never happen again. These programs were granted during his first 100 days in office. On March 9th, 1933, he closed all banks in the country and kept them closed until he could pass a new legislation. That legislation was called the Emergency Banking Act, which was an act that would close down all banks and then reorganize and reopen the banks that were strong enough to survive. Within three days, three quarters of all banks were reopened. Money was flowing back into them. Smaller banks didnt disappear, but merged with bigger banks. The Economy Act was passed on March 14, 1933 which set out to balance the non emergency budget by cutting salaries of government employees and pensions of veterans by 15%. It saved $500 million that year.

The New Deal also helped artists. Federal One, gave jobs to writers, musicians, artists, and theater personnel. Under the Federal Writer’s Project, writers such as Zora Neale Hurston were paid to document folklore. Other women interviewed elderly ex-slaves and recorded their stories. In each state, writers created state guidebooks. Under the Federal Theater Project, actresses and actors, technicians, writers, and directors put on stage productions. The tickets were inexpensive or sometimes free, making theater available to audiences unaccustomed to attending plays. One Federal Art Project paid 162 trained woman artists, selected by anonymous competition, to paint murals or create statues for newly built post offices and courthouses.

Roosevelt was interested in the farming aspect and believed that if farming and agriculture wasnt up to par, that the New Deal would be all for naught. He created the Farm Security Act which raised farm incomes by raising the prices farmers received. The Agricultural Adjustment Administration (AAA) was created in May 1933. The AAA paid landowners to leave some of their crops idle. The idea was the less produced, the higher the price and the higher the income for the farmers.

There were also programs that addressed poverty such as the Resettlement Administration, Tennessee Valley Authority and rural welfare projects that included providing school lunches, built new schools, opening roads in remote areas, reforestation and purchasing land to enlarge forests.

One of the laws that was passed that a lot of Americans felt was more significant was the repeal of Prohibition. On March 13, 1933, he signed a bill to legalize the sale and manufacturing of alcohol. Many went out to local stores and bars to celebrate. Salomi and Ruth made sure to pop open a bottle of champagne as they celebrated in New York while Gabriel and the men shared a few beers. It was great to not sneak around just to get a drink anymore!

Segregation was still a huge problem and blacks still had to deal with that as well as the Depression, discrimination and racism. However, Eleanor Roosevelt worked hard to ensure that blacks could receive welfare and the President appointed blacks to second level positions in his administration. Relief programs also gave blacks a small percentage for relief efforts. Still there was a long way to go. Blacks had no rights in the South and it seemed no better in the North. Gabriel's skin color and status made Salomi and the children invincible but now even they got turned away from certain businesses.

However, with all the new laws being signed and passed, there was still a lot of work to do and still a lot of people who thought that the new President wasnt doing a good enough job. It seemed like he did nothing right to some people. Beth didnt like anything that the President did and Gabriel couldnt wrap his head around it. He thought she was just upset that her "guy" lost. She hated leaving their crops barren and letting dust settle. She hated having to kill many pigs and other small animals so that there was less product produced. However, even Gabriel got antsy, when could they go home? It was now a year after Roosevelt won the election and they were still here. More men from out of town came to work on neighboring farms. When could he go home and hold his wife and children again?

Gabriel sighed as he sat down at the kitchen table with McNamara. He was reading a newspaper with a serious expression on his face. "What's wrong?"he asked him.

McNamara handed him the newspaper,"Dust Storms. They seem to be getting worse. A real strong one went through South Dakota a few days ago. Completely desecrated. Farms are gone, people dead and homeless"

"Dont worry Daddy"Beth said as she put some fresh rolls of bread on the table just as Isaiah sat down. He immediately put one in his mouth. "Maybe it wont even come here"

"Theres a very good chance. We need to figure out how to prevent this"McNamara said to Gabriel and Isaiah.

"Its mother nature. You cant prevent a storm from happening"she said as she stirred the concoction she made in the pot. "Thats like trying to stop God. Bobby says if we didnt leave all of those crops barren we wouldnt have this problem"

The men looked at her as Robin and Frank walked in and sat down. "Who the hell is Bobby?"McNamara asked her

"Bobby McFerrin, daddy. I only grew up with the boy"Beth said with a surprise laugh

'And fucked him', Gabriel thought to himself.

"What are you doing listening to him?"McNamara asked her with an eyebrow raised. The men looked at her. They all knew she was fooling around with him but they didnt know McNamara was still in the dark about it.

Beth was silent and then she pulled herself together. She shrugged,"We are just friends daddy, we talk.....politics and things"

"I bet"Isaiah said and Frank swatted him as Robin held in a small laugh unsuccessfully. Beth glared at them and put down the bowl.

McNamara ignored them. He was focused on Beth. "You shouldnt be talking about such things especially with a boy like him"

"A boy like him? You dont even know what hes like!"

"I was a boy once and I know what he's like. We all were, werent we?"he asked the other men. They all nodded adamantly.

"Yeah and this boy is hungry"Isaiah said. Frank swatted him again. Beth stopped cooking and he was ready to eat that entire bowl of bread.

"Im going to regret saying this but you need to be hanging out with your little girlfriends of yours. Dont be hanging out with that Bobby. He only wants one thing"

Beth held her tongue. She picked up the bowl of chilli and set it down hard on the table. "Fine, I have a headache. Im gonna lay down"she said and stomped upstairs to her room. Isaiah immediately picked up the bowl and filled his plate.

"I hope shes not upset with me. I mean Im her father....does she have something going on with Bobby?"he asked and looked at Gabriel.

Gabriel sighed, he wasnt helping out Beth anymore. "You have to ask her, McNamara, she doesnt tell me anything"

"You think.....do you think that....."

"Look, Beth is 25 years old. Thats marriage and mama age. Beth is a grown woman and she should be able to sit down and tell you whats going on with her. She should be honest with you. Beth's a good girl"Robin said to McNamara

That seemed to calm him down. "Your right, theres probably nothing going on. If there were, she'd tell me, now pass that chilli. Its getting cold out again and we need something warm in us"he said with a smile just as Beth snuck out of her bedroom window and ran to Bobby's.

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

Winter came and went and the men spent another holiday season without their families. Gabriel knew that change couldnt happen overnight but he was still anxious. Rita had just turned 11 and he wanted to be there to see it. All the children were growing up too fast. The New Year came and went and the weather tried its best to get a little warmer and that lifted their spirits….some.

Sadly, Gabriel will get his wish but not how he expected.

It was the beginning of May and the weather was very hot but very windy which made it hard to get any work done. Everyone in the area was confused because it was too early for tornado season. On May 9th, the men woke up later than usual because the rooster did not crow. Robin ran to the window and all he could see was a light brown heavy fog. “Whats going on? What is that?”Frank asked them.

Gabriel’s heart sank in his chest. He was reading up all about this for months now, but now it was here? It was coming for them? “It’s a dust storm”he said and then panicked,”McNamara! Beth! Their in the house, we have to-“but before he could finish his sentence, the one window they had seemed to explode and they all moved out the way. “We gotta get underground! We gotta get to the cellar!”he shouted as the shack seemed to shake under the pressure. It looked like it would collapse at any moment.

“We cant go out there! We’ll die!”Frank said

“We gotta get underground!”Gabriel said and then a part of the roof fell down near them. “We’ll die in here!”he said as he threw the door to the shack open. It was very windy and the dust was so thick that they could only see up to a couple feet in front of them. They all closed their eyes and crawled across the yard. Luckily, the cellar was straight shot from the shack, they just had to make it there. Gabriel’s mind and heart was racing. They had to get to the cellar….they all had to survive….they all had to go back to their families in one piece……are McNamara and Beth alright?

Then Gabriel felt something hit him in his head. He winced at the pain but he heard a shout, he turned around and gasped…..

*__________________________*