Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
stories/537/images/smalluntiltheendoftime1.png


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Salomi was all smiles as the children excitedly updated their father about everything that has happened since they last wrote to him and they even reminded him about the things he already knew. Dahlia got her first good behavior award which shocked Salomi, but hey, miracles happen. She also showed off her little eagle “tattoo”. The eagle was the mascot of the WPA, another program that Roosevelt implemented which gave many of the unemployed people jobs. Lately, movie stars were tanning the eagle on their backs to show their support for the program and the President. Dahlia begged Salomi to give her one too and Salomi finally gave in for her headaches sake. Rita was a star dance student again and was taking tap and jazz classes. She could also sing very well and sang the ‘Star Spangled Banner’ and told him about her lead role in the school play earlier that semester. Michael was an honor student and he had medals and certificates from all of his classes that proved it. They all talked up a storm until they all realized it was past their bedtime. Dahlia soon fell asleep at the table.

They both tucked the kids in and Salomi poured another glass of wine. “I missed you so much”she said as she sat close to him.

“I missed you too. I thought about you everyday”

“Im a little tiffed that you and Robin didn’t write to tell us you were coming home but Im glad you didn’t”Salomi said with a smile. Gabriel sighed. He had to tell her…or should he wait for Ruth to come home and tell her first? “Whats wrong?”she asked him. “McNamara didn’t let you go for good behavior did he?....there was more to it than that huh?”she asked him. Did he quit? Was he fired?

Gabriel sighed, she knew him too well, he couldn’t keep much from her. “You heard about the Dust Storms in Kansas?”he asked her

“Yes and I prayed that they weren’t in the area you were in….”she said and then gasped,”Oh no Gabe-“

“Well Im fine, Lomi. But the storm was pretty bad. McNamara’s farm was destroyed. They migrated west to California and we all had to go home”

“Oh my. That’s terrible. Are they alright?”

“I told them to write us once they get settled”

“Well….what about us? I paid a lot for summer clothes for the kids. Rita’s getting a body and Michael’s feet get bigger everyday….”

“Im going to talk to Roosevelt if he has time. He’s the President now though, I cant just go downtown to see him anymore. I’ll have to make do like before. We all will”

“Im just glad you two are alright”she said

“Well….when does Ruth get home?”

“Usually around 2 in the morning…”she said,”Whats wrong…..is it Robin?”she asked. He nodded sadly. “Tell me….he didn’t come back did he? Theres someone else?”

Gabriel stared at her in shock. Did they know about Robin’s affair with Mary Ann? “What do you mean?”

“Ruth didn’t hear from Robin much after she admitted to him about her not being able to have a baby. He did write back eventually but its been on her mind. Did he stay….did he not come back because hes not in love with her anymore?”

“No...”Gabriel said, realizing with relief that they didn’t know. And they didn’t need to know. It wasn’t his place and it was too late anyway. “Robin didn’t make it. He died during the storm”he said. Salomi gasped in shock and they both sat there and cried.

“No! Poor Ruth! Its not fair!”Salomi cried.

They cried for a long time and comforted each other. “You go and lie down. Im going to wait up for her”he told her. She had a long day and he felt that he should tell her alone. She agreed and kissed him passionately. “I love you”he said to her and she said the same and went into the bedroom. Gabriel got a glass of water and waited for Ruth to come home. He was nodding off on the small couch Ruth slept on when he heard the locks on the front door turn. She walked in and was shocked to see him there.

“Holy shit! Gabe!!!!”she whispered out loud as she closed the door and ran to him and hugged him close. She didn’t want to wake the children. “Does Salomi know you’re here?”

“Oh of course. I got home this afternoon. Surprised the kids, took them out for ice cream and surprised Lomi with a feast. We saved you a plate”he said

“Oh thank god. Im starving”Ruth said,”I cant eat anymore Pub food”she said,”Where’s Robin?”she asked him,”Did he stay?”

Gabriel gulped. He thought telling Salomi would make it better but it didn’t. “Uh..Ruth…you should sit down….”

Ruth’s smile quickly faded. “No….I don’t want to sit down….just give me the bad news”she said.

“Im here because McNamara’s farm got destroyed in the Dust Storm a little over a week ago. Robin didn’t make it. He’s gone, Ruth”he said,”But as he was lying there, he told me to tell you that he loves you and always will”

Tears ran down Ruth’s cheeks. “How did he….how…..?”

“I’d rather not say, its-“

“Tell me!”Ruth said firmly

“A branch, we couldn’t see it because the dust was so thick. It hit me first and flew right into Robin’s chest”he said. Ruth gasped as she looked down at her wedding ring. “He’s buried in Kansas….I couldn’t write because the post office was destroyed and it would be better to hear it in person”he said as he held her and she cried in his arms. He comforted her and cried as well.

“So he didn’t leave me…”

“No….why would you say that?”

“He told me about Maryann. He confessed that he was sleeping with her and would stop and would never do it again”she said,”For a second there, I thought he left me for her….but shit, this is much worse….”

“Im sorry, Ruth. Im glad he was honest with you….I was very upset with him but he knew what he did was wrong….”he said. She nodded,”Would you like me to warm up your food?”

Ruth shook her head. “I no longer have an appetite. I just want to lay down”she said as she went over to the couch and sat down and took off her shoes. “Good night, Gabe”

Gabriel nodded,”He did love you, Ruth. He loved only you”he said

Ruth nodded,”Thanks Gabe”she said and he went into the bedroom. She laid down and closed her eyes but all she could see was Robin. She sobbed into her pillow so she wouldn’t wake them and soon cried herself to sleep.

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

Ruth wore all black while mourning Robin, she also turned into a bitter workaholic. She couldn’t stand to be around Salomi and Gabriel and their happy family anymore. She loved them dearly but that’s what she wanted as well. She wanted to have Robin’s children. She wanted him to be alive and living the American dream while raising a family. She decided that she needed her own place but that wouldn’t be possible with her wages. She worked more. She left early in the morning and came back very late at night or sometimes not at all. Salomi was worried about her of course. “You should rest Ruth. You look like you haven’t slept”

“Sleeping is harder than it looks”Ruth said sadly. She refused to listen to Salomi and Gabriel, she didn’t want advice from the happy couple. They didn’t know how it felt to lose their other half because they were still together.

Gabriel performed odd end jobs while he looked for something permanent. He worked with the CCC to help restore national parks and forests in northern New York, Long Island and New Jersey. He also was employed with the Federal Theatre Project, which was another New Deal program that funded theatres as well as unemployed actors, playwrights and stage hands. He enjoyed performing in variety shows as well as the “Living Newspapers” which were plays that were written off of current events. He also spent as much time with Rita, Michael and Dahlia. He had to make up for lost time. Michael celebrated his eleventh birthday and Gabriel took him and his best friend, Nicky, to see their first Yankees baseball game. He also took Dahlia to the movies to see Shirley Temple, she released two films that year, “Curly Top” and “Littlest Rebel” and she even won an Academy Award that year. Rita grew out of Shirley Temple but she loved to watch Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers in “Top Hat”.

Rita soon got lucky. President Roosevelt was coming to New York and he personally asked Gabriel to perform for him again. She begged her father if she could perform too. They were a good team and came up with a routine called “I Don’t Need Anything But You” and "I'm Following You"

The big night came and the family was picked up in a very fancy Packard car. Salomi was in shock, she hadn’t ridden in a Packard in over 6 years. They dressed their best and headed to the theatre. It was a huge variety show that showcased artists performing their appreciation for the President which included the Ziegfield Follies, Bing Crosby and even Fred Astaire himself. Tears formed in her eyes when Gabriel and Rita took the stage and started to dance and sing together. She was so proud of the both of them.

(Gabriel & Rita)
Together at last!
Together for ever!
We're tying a knot,
They never can sever!

(Rita)
I don't need sunshine now,
To turn my skies to blue --

(Gabriel & Rita)
I don't need anything but you!

(Gabriel)
You've wrapped me around
That cute little finger.
You've made life a song .....
You've made me the singer!

(Rita)
And what's the bathtub tune
You always "Bu-Bu-Boo?"

(Gabriel)
Bu-Bu-Bu
Anything but you

(Gabriel & Rita)
Yesterday was plain awful
You can say that again
Yesterday was plain awful
But that's
Not now
That's then!

(Rita)
I'm poor as a mouse,

(Gabriel)
I'm richer than Midas.

(Gabriel & Rita)
But nothing on earth
Could ever divide us!
And if tomorrow, I
'm an apple seller, too--
I don't need anything but you!.....

Their routine was flawless and Salomi knew that both Rita and her husband were going places. She had a good feeling. Michael sang along as he watched them, he knew the words by heart now since it was all Rita would sing for weeks. Dahlia sat there filled with jealousy, arms crossed, she wanted to be up there too. “Mommy”she tapped her again on her arm,”I wanna play up there with Rita and Daddy too”

“Shhh Lia, they aren’t playing. They are performing. Be a good girl and watch”Salomi said not taking her eyes off of them. They ended their performance with a bang, meaning Rita went down into a split, and the applause was loud and chaotic. Salomi and Michael stood up and clapped while Dahlia pouted.

There was a reception after the show and Gabriel and Rita were given many bouquets of flowers and ‘job well done’s’. Roosevelt and Eleanor were delighted to see the family together again. “This is a short trip but when we come back, you must have dinner with us”Eleanor gushed to Salomi.

“Of course. I will always make time for you”Salomi said with a wide smile.

“Excuse me, ma’am. You are Mrs. Brewster, yes?”a woman asked her

“Yes I am”

“You have a beautiful family”the woman said,”My name is Ariel Ailey and I have opened a performing arts school on the Upper East Side….Upper East Side Performing Arts School, you probably heard of it….”Ariel said hurriedly. Salomi only nodded even though she didn’t hear of the school. “Anyway, I cant believe that Rita here isn’t enrolled. She is the perfect fit”

“Well Im afraid we cant afford fancy performing arts schools anymore. Rita takes free lessons from the community center in Harlem”Salomi said.

“Oh dear. Well we have to do something about that. How about I give you some information so she can audition for us, Im sure she’ll make it, and if she does, she can get a scholarship. Hmmm? Free for you and fun for her”Ariel said.

“That sounds wonderful”Salomi said

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

“…..so it seems that you have conquered the world of theatre, even though there is a Depression…..whats next for you? Film?”the man asked Gabriel as they chatted over wine. Salomi walked over and gave him the its-getting-late eye.

“You know? I never cared for performing in film. I love to see them but I need a live audience”Gabriel said to him politely and introduced Salomi.

“Nice to meet you”the man said to her,”One more question, how about radio? You have a live audience but they aren’t right in front of you”

“Radio would be interesting. I cant say anything about it besides the fact that I love to listen to it”

“Imagine you being on the radio, Gabriel, millions of listeners hearing you….”

“Sounds nice”Gabriel said, wondering what he was getting at.

“I think you would make a great fit for the cast of ‘The Legacy’. Have you heard of us? It’s a drama that comes on every Sunday after Bob Hope’s Revue”

“I didn’t listen to the radio much while in Kansas, and now that Im back, Im never home enough to even sit down and listen to it”

“Oh Gabe, its one of my favorite shows”Salomi gushed

“Well shes heard of us then. How about you come out and audition for us and see if you like it. Don’t do it for me, do it for the misses”he said

“He’ll audition for you. Just give us the information”Salomi said excitedly and hurriedly. Dahlia was causing a ruckus right now outside the theatre and she needed to be tucked in immediately but she also wasn’t going to let this opportunity pass him by. They exchanged information and they said goodbye to everyone and soon left.

“Did I hire you as my manager without realizing?”Gabriel asked her with a laugh

“’The Legacy’ is a very famous show. No singing or dancing but its very entertaining. Very suspenseful. Next week we will find out if Greta will marry Bert or Hill”she said,”It would be fantastic if you joined in on the cast and I can hear your voice when your not at home”she said. “I know that your life will change for the better, Rita as well. Ariel Ailey approached me about Rita auditioning for the performing arts school on the Upper East Side!”

“Ariel Ailey? Really?”

“Yes, and Rita’s going to audition and you are auditioning for the radio show. I believe the two of you will go so far”Salomi said as she and Gabriel stopped in front of the car.

“Thanks huney. I will contact them first thing in the morning”he said and kissed her just as Dahlia let out a scream. He opened the door,”What is going on in here!”

“MIKEY HIT ME!”Dahlia screamed as the two got in the car.

“She pinched me because I wouldn’t let her out of the car”Michael defended himself.

“No hitting, both of you. I don’t care who did what. Spankings for both of you when we get home”Gabriel said to them sternly and the two were silent. Rita just sat there in her dress, a few bouquets in her lap, staring out the window and smiling. Oblivious to the chaos her siblings were causing. “Earth to Rita”he said with a laugh and she looked at him. “When you are done with school tomorrow, remind me to help you with your audition materials for that new school. Congratulations”

“Thank you Father, Ive always wanted to go there. Kit used to go there but she left…the school is so swell!”Rita said with a huge smile. “I hope I get in”

“You will”Gabriel said. He couldn’t stop staring at his daughter sometimes. She was so grown up and talented and beautiful. She was becoming a woman. And he had to prepare himself for the boys that would be breaking their door down to give her flowers like the ones she was holding now. It was scaring him. Where did the time go? Gabriel sighed when the Packard car arrived in their poor neighborhood in Harlem. The cream colored vehicle stood out against the dirty streets and run down brick buildings. It pulled over to the side of the road and they all got out. He thanked the driver and tipped him even though the ride was paid for already. Salomi took the children inside and he sighed as he stood outside and smoked a cigarette in his rented tuxedo and watched the car drive away. He remembered when he used to have a car like that, performing every night for the rich and famous, owning several tuxedos instead of renting them. He missed that life. Losing everything made him appreciate what they did have but made him miss what they lost and he was determined to get it back. If Rita wanted to go to that performing arts school, they were going to make it work.

He walked inside and took off his tux and laid down next to Salomi and held her close. She was already asleep. “Im going to keep making us happy, don’t you worry”he whispered in her ear.

*____________________________*