What You Doing New Year's Eve by yhh
Summary:

A New Year's song fic.


Categories: Primetime Television Characters: None
Classification: None
Genre: None
Story Status: None
Pairings: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2068 Read: 3096 Published: January 01 2014 Updated: January 01 2014
Story Notes:

Happy New Year!

Chapter 1 by yhh

 

 

When the bells all ring and the horns all blow
And the couples we know are fondly kissing.
Will I be with you or will I be among the missing?

 



It was a plus sign. A plus sign. How could this happen? How could this happen to her? She was the queen of protection, even in her deeply committed relationships she had made her partner wear a condom even though she was on birth control.

She had felt funny on Black Friday, but she had chalked that up to overindulging on Thanksgiving. She thought her illness at Christmas had been the beginnings of the flu, but one trip to the doctor to get a prescription for something to soothe her stomach had changed her whole life.

How did a thirty-something college educated professional end up a statistic? Not only was she a statistic, in a situation every mother warned her daughter about, but she was also a candidate for the Maury Show.  She was a single, never married woman who had no idea who the father of her unborn child was. What a way to usher in a new year, alone and pregnant.



Maybe it's much too early in the game
Ooh, but I thought I'd ask you just the same
What are you doing New Year's
New Year's Eve?



He was no longer angry with her. He had been harboring anger towards her for a long while, but no longer. With some time and distance, he had gained perspective. Everything she did, had done was to help him achieve and maintain the dream that had been thrust upon him from the moment of his birth. He admired her for her sacrifices. He applauded her for her efforts. He could clearly see now that while she rarely said “I love you” all her actions screamed it. Though he didn’t agree with what she had done, the scheming behind his back, conspiring with his enemies and frenemies, he loved the lengths she would go to for him to be happy, even if that meant denying her own.

He had let her go. He had hoped against hope that she would stop him when he had brought an end to their relationship. But his hope had been in vain, like he suspected she tenaciously held on to her belief that he could only be great and happy if they weren’t together. But now that had all changed.

He had kept his own secret private investigators on her. He wanted to make sure she was safe at all times, since he couldn’t be with her. When he was informed she had gone to the doctor he went on high alert, she never went to the doctor because she was so rarely ill. His alertness led him to here.  Sitting at his desk in the Oval office staring at the Christmas tree contemplating his next move, now that he knew his sweet baby was expecting their first child.



Wonder whose arms will hold you good and tight
When it's exactly twelve o'clock that night
Welcoming in the New Year
New Year's Eve




Her friends had invited her to New Year’s parties, over their houses for an intimate New Year’s celebration, but she had declined them all politely. How could she go anywhere or celebrate anything when her world had changed forever? She thought the change in her shone like a light on a dark road. But so far no one had mentioned anything.

Instead of being wrapped in the arms of the man she loved, she would spend her New Year’s on her sofa watching the ball drop with Ryan Seacrest. Yes, watching Ryan and figuring out a way out of her predicament.

If the baby was her ex-fiancée, he would demand to be part of the baby’s life. In actuality, he would push for marriage and a traditional family. While she had always imagined her children having a mom and a dad, she knew she couldn’t marry him when she didn’t love him.

If the baby was fathered by the love of her life, then she would wrestle with if she should tell him at all about the baby.

How ironic, the love of her life was a married man with three children, yet she knew his heart would break if the child she was carrying belonged to her ex-fiancée. Their love was so twisted, she, a single woman, felt guilty for sleeping with the man she was dating, a man she had once been engaged to.



Maybe I'm crazy to suppose
I'd ever be the one you chose
Out of a thousand invitations
You received




Should he wait for her to approach him with the news of her pregnancy? Or should he confront her with the news? She would be pissed to know he had her followed. And super pissed to know he had accessed her medical records, but all was fair in love and war. Maybe confronting her wasn’t the best route to take; he didn’t want to upset her, upset the baby. He would wait for her to come to him or for the news to slip out. Yes, he could see there would be a great need for her in the White House over the next several weeks, months even. He would be in and out of her office and she his. Eventually she would slip up and bam he would have her.

He knew there was a great chance the baby wasn’t his. Although a thorough search of her house revealed a prescription for birth control prescribed after her first few dates with the other man and a box of condoms. But the prescription gave him hope, it meant she hadn’t been on the pill when they made love, he hadn’t used a condom, and he definitely hadn’t pulled out.

In all honesty, he could care less who the father of her baby was. The baby was a part of her, half her, so he would love it regardless. This baby would be the way to cement her position by his side forever, she just didn’t know it yet.



Ooh, but in case I stand one little chance
Here comes the jackpot question in advance:




All she had wanted was to spend New Year’s Eve holed up in her apartment, yet here she was in the private residence of the White House.

“Gerry, what’s wrong?” Olivia Pope asked the teen walking into the nursery.

“He won’t stop crying,” the fourteen-year-old answered holding his screaming baby brother.

She took the screaming baby from him. “Did you change his diaper? Did you feed him?”

Gerry nodded vigorously. “I did all that. He refused the bottle, his pacifier. He just keeps crying.”

She rocked the baby and began to pat and rub his back. Softly she crooned in his ear even with all the noise he was making. Finally a big belch, one too big for a four-month-old came out and Andrew Cyrus Grant stopped crying.

“Thank God,” the older brother sighed, the relief apparent in his eyes. “I thought I was going to lose it. I’m never volunteering to babysit again. Or suggesting the nanny have the night off.”

Olivia laughed as she continued to pace the floor with the quiet baby. “The first babysitting gig is always the hardest. But you did a great job, you kept your head, and you did the right thing by calling me when you felt you were in over your head. I’m proud of you.”

“Thanks Liv. I’m sorry I ruined your New Year’s Eve plans.”

“You didn’t ruin anything. Now why don’t you go lay down, I’ll put him to sleep and your parents will be home before you know it.”

“Thanks again, Liv,” Gerry, a handsome masculine version of Mellie, repeated, then he kissed her on her cheek. “Happy New Year, Livy. You’re the best.”

“Happy New Year, Ger. Good night,” she returned. The fixer watched as the tired teen left the nursery. Liv walked over to the glider and sat down with the baby. A year from now, she would be holding her own baby in his or her nursery in her house. She would be pacing the floors with her baby.

She was going to be a mother. For the first time since she heard the news, she smiled, laughed. Yes, she was going to be a mommy.



What are you doing New Year's



The fates were in his favor. President Fitzgerald Thomas Grant III had convinced a tipsy Mellie Grant to come home early from the New Year’s party they had attended at Senator Langlais’ home. He had put her to bed in their bedroom, and then came to see how Gerry was fairing taking care of Drew. Instead of seeing his two sons together, he was greeted with the breathtaking sight of his glowing Livy rocking his youngest son. It was an image that would stay with him forever.

“How did Gerry con you into this one?” Fitz asked, ending the peaceful silence.

Liv looked up to see the man who haunted her dreams standing a few feet away from her.

“He didn’t con me. He needed some babysitting tips, so I decided to deliver them in person,” she answered.

“That was very kind of you. Edison was understanding of you ringing the New Year with another man?”

“Edison is very understanding, but I better get going now that you and Mellie are back,” she said hurriedly, feeling guilty being in his presence while longing for him and while keeping her secret from him. Standing up, the fixer walked over to the crib in the middle of the room and gently laid the sleeping baby down. She pulled the comforter over him. “Mr. President, Happy New Year’s.”

“Happy New Year’s to you too, Liv,” he replied.

Olivia made it as far as the door when she felt his hand on her causing her to tremble. She knew he felt her tremble under his touch. She had to get out of here.

“There will be some things coming up Cy and I will need you on. I know you won’t want to make the new press secretary, Barbara, move out of her office, so I’m sure you can find another one you like,” he smiled, his grey eyes sparkling.

“I don’t work for the White House anymore, Mr. President. I resigned quite a while ago. I have my own firm that needs me.”

Fitz nodded. “I understand and respect that. It’s not a full-time position just part-time for the foreseeable future. You told me you would never leave my side and I need you by my side,” he reminded her.

Liv was mesmerized by his eyes and words. Damn him for throwing her words back in her face. She couldn’t be around him and risk him finding out about the baby until she was sure if she was going to tell him. Maybe whatever crises or issues he had could be resolved quickly. She prayed it would be quick. “I haven’t left your side, sir.”

“And you never will again,” he murmured, under his breath. “Good, then I expect to see you the day after tomorrow, Cyrus and I can fill you in then. Hal and Tom will take you home.”

“Fitz, that’s unnecessary. I can get home safely by myself,” the brunette insisted, not even realizing she had called him by his name.

“It’s New Year’s and I don’t want you driving with all the drunks on the street. So either let Hal and Tom take you home or choose a guest bedroom to sleep in, your choice,” Fritz responded firmly.

Looking into his eyes, she saw the truth in his declaration. “I need my car for tomorrow,” Liv relented.

“I will have it delivered at a decent hour,” Fitz answered, trying hard not to gloat at this small victory. The first of many. “Have a good night.”

“You too, sir,” she said, walking out of the nursery.

Fitz smiled as his looked around the room. This nursery was large enough for two cribs. Drew would be delighted to have a new brother or sister to play with. Because come hell or high water, Olivia Pope would be his and she would be the next Mrs. Fitzgerald Thomas Grant III. What a way to start the New Year.



New Year's Eve?

 

This story archived at https://www.valentchamber.com/viewstory.php?sid=2834