Mist of Eternity by shyangel
Summary:

Nina has just started to live her life. She drops out of school and moves to L.A. At 23 she is essentially having a midlife crisis. So at this point she was not mentally or emotionally prepared for a relationship. Then she meets Alexander, the dark stranger with as many secrets as there were stars.

 

Nina wants a brief affair but Alexander has different plans he has waited years for her to walk into his life and he is not willing to let her walk out of it so easily. Even when shadows from his past reappear he will fight for a future for them. The question is will she fight for a future with him? 


Categories: Original Fiction Characters: None
Classification: General, Supernatural
Genre: Drama, Family, Fantasy, Friendship, Romance, Science Fiction , Suspense
Story Status: Active
Pairings: None
Warnings: Adult Situations, Original Characters, Sexual Content , Un-betaed , Work in Progress
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 7365 Read: 6243 Published: April 15 2013 Updated: June 20 2013
Story Notes:

Sorry that i keep jumping from story to story. I have a bunch of books started on my computer. I want to post all of them before i write anymore chapters.

1. Cast by shyangel

2. Chapter 1-The Beginning by shyangel

3. Chapter 2 by shyangel

4. Chapter 3-You again by shyangel

Cast by shyangel
Author's Notes:

A few of pictures of the cast i envisioned for the story. Alexis dosent come in until later but he plays a pretty major role. 

Added and changed some of the characters. Tell me what you think



Alexander

Nina

Selina

Tess

Brandon

Alexis

Chapter 1-The Beginning by shyangel
Author's Notes:

 

 

 

This was it. It was now or never.

 

Nina stood outside of Club “Q” with her two best friends Brandon and Tess, this was her first club experiences. Both Tess and Brandon teased her mercilessly about being a virgin in every way possible.

 

 They had been with her through thick and thin and knew her better than anybody. She had first met the pair at summer camp, Tess and Nina had become instant buddies after a row boat incident. Brandon however had taken sometime to warm up to her, he didn’t trust easily but once he did they became good friends and the trio was now inseparable.

 

Grade school and middle school had passed in a flash each of them finding their own niche. Brandon had discovered himself in middle school and he hadn’t looked back since. Tess had taken longer but she too had discovered herself. Nina on the other hand still had no clue.

 

Throughout high school they had gone through all the drama and had their fair share of fights, most of them had been about silly things.

 

Like all three of them liking the same guy, Brandon won the guy much. Which didn’t help the matter, this usually happened much to Tess and Nina’s dismay. They always made up and were stronger after the fact.

 

 So as the good friends that they were Tess and Nina had stuck by Brandon when he came out to his family; he had lived with Nina until his supper Christiana family had accepted his choice. When Tess had finally broken down and told them about her mother’s addiction and abuse, Brandon and Nina had been there for her. The trio saved up enough and rented an apartment to call their own.

 

Thus it came as no surprise that when Nina’s mother died they were her rock and support, more so than even her own family. All though she had a lot of relatives they were not close, it had been her and her mother against the world. That’s the way they had liked it.

 

 So when Biannca, Nina’s mom had been diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer her world had come crashing down. She had taken a leave of absence from school to spend as much time with her mom as possible. When she died Nina was devastated and thought her mother’s death had come too soon. Nina had never known her dad and her mom had never spoken of him, so now Nina had no parent to turn to.

 

After reflection Nina had decided to make drastic changes to her life and they stood by her. When she decided to drop out of med school; they had accepted her decision even when the rest of her family had thought she was losing her mind. Her relatives wanted to uses her and turn her into a puppet for their own gain. At the reading of the will they had behaved disgracefully upon learning of the nest egg her mother had set aside for her. She was even more estranged from them now than before.

 

One day about a month after her mother’s funeral, Nina woke up and realised she hadn’t done anything with her life. She had a pretty nest egg to get her life started but no direction as to what she wanted to do. This might have sounded a little midlife crisis to anybody else but when it came to life experience Nina had none. She had dated the same guy all through high school and when she had gotten accepted to collage across the country she had left without looking back. They had barely kissed much less to go as far as to have sex. At collage she had been in the library most of the time, No road trips, no camping trips with friends, she had never been to a party much less a club.

 

If not for her friendship with Tess and Brandon she would have been a friendless recluse, getting into med school she had even less time but somehow they had always found time and a way to drag her for a walk on the beach or ice cream on Sundays. But that was the full extent of Nina Black’s social life.

 

After the sudden death of her mother she realised she had to start pleasing herself before she could begin please anyone else.

                                                                   ***

                     

Back to the moment, the heroine of this particular story stood outside one of the hottest clubs in L.A. she was mentally prepping herself for her first club experience and at the same time trying to talk herself into going into the club.

 

“I aint getting any younger hoe” Tess’s distinctive drawl and fake ghetto accent dragged Nina out of her daze.

 

“Don’t be trying to act black white girl” Nina said on a laugh, enjoying the game she and Tess always played.

 

Brandon finally got fed up with our antics; he grabs us by the arm and pulled us to the entrance “Come on” her growls “I’m not getting any younger and there is a hot guy in there somewhere with my name written all over him”

 

******************************************************************************

 

‘This is so not my style’ Nina thought as she looks around the room. The music was too loud and she couldn’t hear herself think much less have a conversation. There were no guys here that she liked either and most of the people checking her out were women. Nina wasn’t sure what she was looking for but when she found “it” she would know and a woman wasn’t it.

 

Upon entering the club the lights, music and overall sleazy atmosphere had taken Nina by surprise. She had missed a few beats and ended up stumbling into a guy. The assholes had taken one look at her and decided she would be an easy target. He had smacked her ass and said he would forgive a fine girl like her anytime. Brandon and Tess had dissolved into laughter, while Nina had tried to control her anger. She had stormed to the bar without as much as a backward glance.

 

She spent part of her night sitting on a bar stool trying to get accustomed to the scene. Nina loved to dance but she couldn’t see herself jumping into the group of sweaty people on the dance floor. At this point Nina was on the verge of leaving when she spotted a dark, empty VIP room. Getting up she made her way over, the door had been locked but it hadn’t fazed Nina. She had picked up a few skills along the way; Nina was tenacious when there was something she wanted.

 

Entering the room she move to the large tinted window that overlooked the dance floor, sitting down on a chair she started searching the crowd for her friends.

 

Tess and Brandon were loving it. She spotted both of them in the crowd getting it on. Tess was dancing with a tall, dark glass of hot chocolate and Brandon with a little Asian firecracker. Nina laughed to herself as she noted the orange colour of the guy’s hair. It looked like it was on fire and the guy had the moves to match. Brandon always went for the weird ones.

 

Looking around Nina sipped the glass of champagne she had been drinking all night. It crossed her mind to leave the V.I.P area since she had snuck in there for a breather but she was just too comfortable. Plus tonight was a slow night no one would need this booth.

 

******************************************************************************

 

Alexander had been shocked when the Nubian goddess had walked into the booth he was occupying. He was sure he had locked the door and he had given instructions for no one to be let in. Sitting in the dark shadows of the room he appraised the new comer. It was dark but he had excellent night vision, he looked on her as he sipped his drink.

 

She sat with her back straight and her ankles crossed. There was an elegance to her that captivated him. She had high cheek bones and soft lips, just the way he liked. As he sat there he could imagine sinking his hand into her hair long hair and pulling her lips to his. There were other things he wanted to sink into her as well.

 

The club scene was defiantly not for her, she looked like a fish out of water. Every time the beat for the music changed she would flinch. He wondered what had brought her there, what event had led to this woman sitting in his personal booth. 

 

Alexander watched as she looked out into the crowd and smiled. At that moment she looked like she was truly enjoying herself. She laughed at something she saw and it took all of his will power to remain seated. It had been centuries since he had last felt a physical pull to someone and he had never felt it this strong.

 

Alexander smiled a tooth smile, if she only knew. This angel had managed to stumble into the vicinity of one of the most dangerous creatures and she had peaked its interest.

 

Alexander sat up straight, he was about to call out to her when she spoke first. “Well since I’m in here all by my lonesome and I love this tune I might as well dance”. He watched mesmerized as she jumped out of the seat.

 

He didn’t know the song and he wouldn’t have been able to repeat one line from it, if he was asked. She stood there for a moment, and then she started to sway her hips and whining and bumping and grinding. He couldn’t look away. She looked like the sexier version to a gypsy from the olden days. Every beat moved through her body, it was written on her face that she felt the music.

 

She would make an excellent lover, was all Alexander could think. In all his years he had never had this strong a reaction to any woman. His erection caused a tent to form at the front of his cotton slacks. He cleared his throat to remove some of the discomfort he was feeling and he realised too late the mistake he had made.

 

She stopped dancing immediately and swung around to face his direction. “Whose there?” she asked her voice filled with tension as she searched the shadows. She couldn’t see anything.

 

“No one of importance, I was napping and woke to the most beautiful sight, an angel dancing before me. I think I may have died in my sleep and that is why I am now in heaven.” As the lie spilled from his mouth Alexander thought that one little white lie, to calm her, wouldn’t hurt.

 

******************************************************************************

 

Nina couldn’t help but laughing, she couldn’t believe the stranger from the shadows had just said that. He had been lying, she knew that. She had always known when people were lying but none the less he had managed to alleviate her fears. If he had wanted to do her harm he would have done it already.

 

Walking towards the shadows were he sat, she added a sexy was to her hips. She didn’t know this man and this wasn’t like her but she was drawn to him. Like a puppet on a string. “How do you know I am not a demon sent from hell to punish you for your sin” she said in a sultry sexy voice that she couldn’t recognize as her own.

 

Alexander flinched at her words, they had hit too close to home on some levels. “If it is from you, I gladly accept any punishment” Alexander couldn’t recognize his own voice, it was deep and husky. His native accent was so think some of the words were barely understandable.

 

“Quite an accent you got there, sexy as hell but I can’t place it” she whispers as she continued to move closer towards him. Reaching out he snagged her wrists, using his hold on them he pulled her into his lap.

 

“What is your name?” Alexander had a burning desire to know. He would meet her more often, wooing her at every turn, trying to win her affections. This woman could accept all of him. He knew it.

 

“Nina” the words fell breathlessly from her lips as he bent his head and captured her lips.

 

Nina had never been kissed like this before. She felt it straight to her toes; they tried to curl in the pumps she was wearing. Every part of her body reacted, her nipples tightened and her skin became sensitive.

 

All her life she had thought something was wrong with her. Having never experienced true attraction to anyone she thought she was just not a passionate person. How wrong was she? Her tongue met his; they stroked each other briefly and then parted. The kiss kept going until she thought she would die. At the last minute they broke apart, both breathing heavily.

 

“WOW, what’s your name stranger?” she asked on huffs of breath

 

The woman was bold, not the type he usually went for but for her he would make an exception “Alexander” he whispered against her lips.

 

The ringing of a cell phone shocked her out of her daze. As she reached for her bag to drag out her phone she felt a blush steal up her cheeks. What had gotten into her? She was mortified, she had sounded wanton and experienced. Neither of which she was.

 

Hearing Tess’s voices was a gift from heaven, her friend had only wanted to know where she was but Nina had ran from the booth telling the stranger…Alexander… that her friends were ready to leave. She hadn’t even looked back.

 

With his hearing he had heard her entire conversation, the woman on the other end of the line had inquired as to Nina whereabouts but Nina had used it as an excuse to flee. Her actions perplexed him. She had come on to him strongly and they had chemistry, so why did she run? All he had was her first name. He stood and moved to the window, taking up his glass as he went. Standing there he searched the crowd as he sipped his drink. She was nowhere to be found. He would find her.

 

 

Even if all he had was her name and her scent. He smiled, that was all he really needed anyway.

Chapter 2 by shyangel

 

Chapter 2

 

Nina woke up on Monday morning with a hangover. She was prepared to think that nothing happened over the weekend and it would have worked if she didn’t picture his face every time she closed her eyes.

 

After her disastrous club debut, that had seen her running from the club like a frightened virgin (which she was) she had stopped at the store and bought beer, vodka and wine. The weekend was a blur. That’s the way it was going to stay. No more shadowy corner encounters with strangers.

 

At every turn she thought she saw his golden eyes locked on her. At nights his soft lips haunted her dreams, his silky hair still felt like the strands were suspended between her fingers. At night when she was being really truthful, she admitted that she wanted to see him again. A part of her knew he held her destiny but the greater part of her, the sane and rational part never wanted to see him again. Well at least that was the story she was sticking with.

 

Brandon and Tess had been shocked by her odd behaviour. They both knew her as the level headed and cool beauty unfazed by the world around her but when they had seen her just before she left the club she had looked frightened and horny. Both were dying to find out what had happened but they knew if the pressed for answers they weren’t going to get them.

 

Rolling out of bed Nina dragged herself to the bath room. She needed a cold shower, food and lots of coffee, preferably in that order. Nina dreaded what was to come. All her life she was either working or in school now she had nothing to do. She had no incentive to work  Even though she called it a nest egg in reality her mother had left her 33 billion 263 million and mash. The letter she received said it was child support from her father, Nina figured it was her mother’s pride that had prevented her from spending it but how did child support payments reach into the billions. Who was her father anyway?

 

No explanation had been given in the letter just that her father was from old money and that she should spend it wisely. Unlike her mother Nina on the other hand had no problem spending it, if only she could figure out what to spend it on.

 

Since she had found out about the money relatives had been crawling out of the wood work, just last week she had met three aunts and 8 cousins she never knew existed. It was disgusting. At this moment more than anything else Nina wanted answers; she would give up all the money if she could find the answers to the questions that haunted her.

 

The only constant in her life had been her friends. In reality Nina hadn’t wanted to move from New York but the amount of friends, old boyfriends, family and neighbours that kept knocking on her had caused her to run. She had moved clear across the country and dragged Tess and Brandon with her.

 

Brandon was a stylist so his job moved with him, he had been glad for the change of scenery and job opportunities and Tess was an executive assistant who had a Masters in Management, the move had spurred her into action and she had decided to start her own business. Nina was backing the business, Tess thought of it as a loan and no matter how much Nina insisted she was paying her back the money she had borrowed.

 

When Nina had decided to move she had known her friends would be coming with her so she had set out to find the perfect place to live. In the end she had settled for a property with three separate 3000 sq foot houses on it. It was pretty extravagant but with billions to spend it really hadn’t put a dent in her pocket.

 

Each of the had there own space and domain but they were still pretty close together without being all up in each other’s business. Nina loved the lap of luxury but hated being in this big house all day.

 

After her shower Nina had breakfast and plopped herself in front of the TV. Just as she was about to veg out she heard the chime of the doorbell. ‘Thank God.’ She thought ‘I have company’

 

Running to the door she threw it open to see who had come to visit. Nina stopped dead in her tracks as she saw a little girl on her door step. She leaned out the door and looked around to see if anyone else was there. Stooping Nina addressed the child “Hey there little girl, what are you doing here?”

 

The child did not raise her head instead she produced a letter and spoke softly. “Mommy dropped me off and said to ring the doorbell when she was at the end of the drive way and then to give you this letter”

 

Nina was way out of her element she had no clue what was happening but it sounded like trouble. Taking the letter from the child Nina began to read.

 

Dear Nina,

 

It been a long time since me and u last talk. Well a lot been going on since then, if you wondering who this is im ur cousin Olivia. The little girl is my brat Selina. Her daddy ran off with his wife and left me an her on our own. She was living with me an my new man jermy but he said she was getting in the way. Since u rich now take care of her

 

Olivia

 

Oh she got asthma but we couldn’t afford her medication and we aint been beating her she just clumsy.

 

Nina was shell shocked, Olivia her cousin who she hadn’t seen in ten years had just abandoned her daughter on her door step. Then the contents of the letter hit her. Moving slowly she but her finger under Selina’s chin and raised her head slowly. What Nina saw mad her want to vomit, the child had a split lip and her face was swollen and black and blue. Nina shuddered to think how the rest of her looked.

 

Nina watched as the child broke into tears. The little girl couldn’t be older than 5 or 6. “How old are you sweet heart” she asked keeping her voice as low and soothing as possible. Her heart breaking as she watched the child’s shoulder move as she silently cried.

 

Instead of answering Selina held up the appropriate number of fingers. 8 in total. She knew she had been abandoned and she couldn’t care less and life would be better than living with her mom.  The woman gasped…Selina became scared, what now she thought bitterly. The child was totally unprepared when the woman pulled her into a gentle embrace.

 

The woman said in an angelic voice “you are far too small to be 8”. Selina really hoped she could live with this woman. Her entire attitude was soft and caring, the child cried harder as she realised this was the first time she had ever been hugged.

 

Nina was on her knees holding the child as she wept. In truth she felt like crying right alongside the child but instincts told her the child needed her to be strong. When the little girl finally stopped crying Nina picked her up and carried her into the house.

 

Along with being small the child was unbelievably light. Nina was outraged; it was obvious that her mother had shown little care for the child wellbeing. “Have you eaten anything?” the child look perpetually scared so Nina kept her voice as soft as possible.

 

Again the child didn’t answer instead she shook her head signally no. “When last did you eat?” the lady asked again. She held up 2 fingers to represent to days ago. The woman’s eyes widened in disbelief and Selina thought about how she had pretty eyes they were clear and overly expressive. The woman was talking to her as if she might break if she was too harsh. Selina preferred it to the screaming and shouting, which was her mother usual means of communication. “Do you like porridge?” Selina answered with a squeaky yes trying out talking for the first time in a while. With her mother silence was best. The woman rewarded her with a brilliant smile and Selina returned a tentative grin, it hurt her lip so she stopped.

 

Nina stood up and reached for the remote turning on the TV she set it to PBS kids. She turned around and said to Selina in a quiet voice “I’m going to make you something to eat, just relax here and watch some TV in the meantime”. Selina’s eyes widened to the size of saucers and she turned to the TV and became lost in a different world. Nina chuckled and moved to the kitchen.

 

As soon as she left the living room her faced of happiness slipped, the anger that had been simmering just below the surface exploded. How could anyone do that to a child. Nina set about making porridge and cutting up fruit. All the while mental cursing her cousin and compiling a list of this she needed to do. Selina had touched her heart and for the first time in her life she felt like she was on the right path.

 

Nina had just finished putting the food on a tray when she heard a child’s laughter coming from the living room. If she had had any doubts about taking care of the child she had none now. She needed to get a lawyer and see about being the legal guardian for Selina but first the child needed to eat and then they would visit a doctor.

 

Carrying the tray into the living room Nina saw Selina curled up on the couch hugging a pillow. The child couldn’t tear her eyes from the TV. A show Called Peter the Rabbit was on and it had the child riveted. “Foods ready” she said cheerfully. Than managed to get the child’s attention, now all of her attention was focused solely on the tray of food. Nina set it on the coffee table. The child looked ready to attack it. “Come on you better wash your hand so you can eat before the food gets cold.” Nina escorted her to the half bathroom and watched carefully as the child soaped up and rinsed of her hands “good girl” Nina said after the child had completed the task. “Now run along and eat. Finish as much of it as you can”

 

“I can eat in the living room” the child asked uncertainly

 

“Of course” Nina said with a smile on her lips “I will join you in a minute. I just have to make a phone call”

 

Selina ran off without having to be told twice.

 

Nina went up stair to her bed room and quickly conference called Brandon and Tess. She gave them a quick rundown of what had happened and explain that she couldn’t do lunch today. Both Brandon and Tess were very understanding of the situation; she then invited them over for dinner so that they could meet Selina.

 

That done Nina change out of her shorts and t-shirt into a comfortable summer dress and flats. She would be doing a lot of shopping today and would need comfortable flats. Grabbing up her car keys, phone and purse she went to see how Selina was doing.

 

Selina couldn’t believe it. She was having a nice hot meal with fruit and no one was yelling at her. She was actually sitting on the couch and not the floor. She was watching a kids show on the biggest TV she had ever seen. Closing her eyes she sent up a prayer that her mother would forget about her so that she would never have to leave this place.

 

Just as Selina finished eating the pretty lady rounded the corner. She had changed and was now wearing a pretty dress. “Excuse me” she spoke attentively

 

“Yes, sweetheart” the woman said throwing a smile her way.

 

“What your name?” she whispered

 

The woman threw her head back and let out a pretty laugh. The woman walked towards her and pulled her into a hug “sorry about that” she said “My name is Nina and you will be living with me from now on”

 

Selina watched as Nina took up the trey and brought it to the kitchen. “Turn off the TV and go wash your hands. We have to go shopping” Nina called ever her shoulder

Selina had never been out shopping before most days she wasn’t allowed out of the apartment she was psyched and scared about what was going to happen. Selina didn’t trust people so as she washed her hand she wondered absently what was going to happen.

Chapter 3-You again by shyangel

 

Chapter 3

 

“Hey kiddo, hurry up” Nina shouted cheerfully.

 

Selina moved quickly, she was too used to her mother. If it was Olivia she would slap her if she moved too slowly. She didn’t know what to expect, so would be careful waiting and watching. She rounded the corner to see Nina standing at the door, the woman was bouncing where she stood. She was sure that the woman was even more excited than she was.

 

Nina watched as Selina slowly rounded the corner. The child was afraid of her own shadow. Nina was new to this whole ‘mothering’ thing and she didn’t know what to say or do to make her more comfortable. She wasn’t the type to over think things so she did what came naturally. Stooping down to the child’s eye level she explained softly what was going to happen “Ok, here’s what’s gonna happen today. We are doing to visit a doctor and he’s going to do a full check to see if you’re ok. After that’s done the two of us will get some Ben and Jerry’s before we shop for everything you will need.”

 

“Everything” Selina queried quietly

 

Nina smiled it was going to be hard not to spoil her. “Yep, everything. Clothes, shoes, toys, sheets…you name it and well buy it”

 

It sounded too good to be true. Everything was so surreal that Selina was tempted to pinch herself so that she would wake up. This was too similar to the dreams she had at night, the ones were she became a princess and got a better life. The only difference was that in her dreams she had a mommy and a daddy but she wouldn’t complain. She would never be bad again either.

 

Straightening up Nina reached for Selina’s hand. Holding firmly onto the child she went through the side door and into the garage. She was taking the Range today. They would need the extra space to put all the things they bought.

 

Opening the door to the backseat she lifted Selina in then she buckled the child in and placed a gentle kiss on her head. “Alright kiddo, off we go”

 

***

He found her.

 

His timing sucked.

 

He stood in the shadows and waited. As he was about to approach the door a mad woman had screeched up the drive way and pushed a small child out of the car. In the next instant the car was tearing down the drive way. The child had stood there holding what appeared to be a letter. She hadn’t cried she didn’t move to follow the car; all she did was look at it dispassionately. He hadn’t known what to do and his body froze as he watched the child.

 

The little girl had turned, walked up the stairs and rang the bell. He had leaned forward waiting to see what HER reaction to the situation was. He had been shocked; she was nothing like the temptress that had haunted his dreams. The woman that opened the door was soft and caring. Every move had been hesitant, not at all like the confidant and sassy woman who had boldly kissed him. She was an enigma and he wanted answers.

 

Alexander was starting to feel like a stalker. He had followed the duo from their home. She had stopped at a doctor, then an ice cream parlour and now they were going into a mall. He dreaded malls, all those people wondering about bumping into each other. He was extremely sensitive to sight, smell, sound and touch that’s why everything about malls set him off but he still followed them.

 

The only person who was more apprehensive about entering the overly crowded building was the child. She held onto Nina like her life depended on it. Nina didn’t seem bothered by the child’s death grip on her dress. In fact she appeared rather pleased, the tighter the child held on the brighter her smile got.

 

Was this the same woman? If it was, which side of her did he prefer?

 

All he knew was that he wanted her. He continued to follow waiting for an opportunity to approach.

 

***

 

Nina was trying her hardest not to laugh, they were in the Paint Shop and Selina wore a serious look on her face. The child was trying her hardest to decide if she wanted the pink Barbie themed room or the blue princess room.

 

Shopping was the cure to everything. Nina could attest to that fact. They had gone through clothing stores, toy stores, bookstores…everywhere. At each subsequent store Selina had gotten brighter, the weight she was carrying around disappeared and the more money she spent, the more the child realised that Nina had no plans of abandoning her.

 Now they were at their final stop for the day. Nina had brought Selina into the paint shop so she could choose what colour she wanted her room in.

 

At the beginning the child had giving a logical argument as to why the room shouldn’t be painted in a specific colour, stating that she was more than likely going to outgrow it and then it would need to be repainted.

 

Nina hadn’t expected that kind of rationalisation from an eight year old but it hadn’t fazed her. Nina had been quick to point out that her growing out of it meant she was growing up and when it was time they would repaint the room to match her likes in the future and they would repaint it as many time as she liked. To show how much she had changed over the years. It was her room and she needed to be happy in it.

 

“I would go with the blue Princess room if I were you”

 

Nina’s head whipped around as she recognised the deep voice that had issued his opinion. Alexander stood looking at her. That night came rushing back to her and a blush stole up her cheeks. Selina had taken one look at him and decide to hide behind Nina’s skirt.

 

A smile creased his face even as a frown appeared in his mind. She was blushing, in his mind the vixen was not one to blush. He was starting to realise that she was not at all what he had expected. He bent down, at his full height he towered over the child and from what he had seen she had been abused. He was a tall stranger to the child and he would look threatening. Bending in front of her he addressed her again as she peeked out from behind Nina. “Hey there. The blue suits you better in my opinion.”

 

“but the pink is so pretty” she said shyly.

 

Nina was wisely staying out of the conversation. For some reason she wanted Selina to like Alexander. He appeared to contemplate the issue for a while before answering in his most serious voice. “hmmm. Well that’s serious then. The way I see it you have four options. Get a blue room and put pink stars on the wall, get a pink room and put blue stars on the wall, get a blue room with a pink ceiling or get a pink room with a blue ceiling.”

 

“Hmmm” a giggle escaped as Selina tried to keep a serous face. “I don’t know” she said moving uncertainly from behind Nina “I was thinking more along the lines of a blue room with pink bow trimmings.”

 

Smiling Alexander leaned forward slightly. “I never thought of that. That sounds like the best option, pink bow trimmings are the perfect touch.” Slowly he extended his hand towards the child. “My name is Alexander and you are?”

 

She moved fully into view as she stepped from behind Nina. Selina placed her hand in his and gave it a brief shake. “My name is Selina Vásquez.” When he released her hand she marvelled at how small her hand was in comparison to his.

 

Nina stood to the side watching carefully. She was waiting for any indicator that she might need to intervene. It was just her bad luck that she kept running into him. Granted this was only the second time but in a town as big as L.A she didn’t think she would ever see him again.

 

A secret part of her was glad that they had run into him. As he interacted with Selina it touched her to see how kind and caring he was. “Since you’ve finally made up your mind why don’t you go and tell Bruce what colour paints you have decided on.” Without being told twice Selina ran off to tell the attendant what she wanted and Nina followed at a slower pace. As she passed Alexander, who was straitening up she mouthed ‘thank you’. Her embarrassment at seeing him again was gone, replaced by tenderness and gratitude.

 

‘No problem’ he mouthed back, following a step behind her. Alexander was doing everything he could not to stare at her legs or her ass. Her legs were exposed for him to appreciate and the dress she wore complemented her figure, giving him tantalizing glimpses of her round ass as she walked. Long gone was the temptress that he had met in the club, now she wore a gentle smile that appealed to him.

 

Selina re-joined the adults and she stood bouncing on the spot. She could barely contain her excitement. All day she had shopped, laughed and had a good time. Not once had anyone screamed at her or hit her for no reason. She was in heaven. “Where are we going next.” She asked hopping from one foot to the next.

 

Nina smiled down at Selina, the child was full of energy and looked like she was ready to sprint of at any moment. She placed a gentle hand on the child’s shoulder hoping to keep her from moving out of sight. Nina had never worried about another person as much as she worried about Selina. At the doctor she had found out just how badly the child had been abused.

 

Selina had welts on her back from continuous beatings; some of the older cuts had healed and left permanent scars on her back. On her chest she had multiple round burns, it appeared as if someone was in the habit of outing their cigarettes on her chest. Nina had been horrified and sickened. If she got her hands on her cousin she would kill her. The doctor had ordered her to have a full body x-ray done on Selina to see if she had had any broken bones that weren’t properly treated. He explained in full that the physical and most likely mental abused had been extensive and that Selina was 30 pounds underweight, he advised Nina to get her counselling to help her cope with what had happened. The only good news she had received was that there were no signs that Selina had been sexually abused. When the doctor told her, a weight was lifted from her shoulder and she felt lighter, happier and more hopeful. Selina had a way of worming her way into your heart when you weren’t looking. Even the doctor had fallen in love with her by the end of the visit.

 

Nina was slowly working on getting Selina to be a normal child. For an 8 year Selina was far too reserved, she was world wary and sometime her eyes held more knowledge than they should. Nina had splurged and bought everything a little girl could possibly want and since she had been a tomboy she also bought a couple things that every little boy might want. The most extravagant purchase she made was a life size doll house, the things stood at 5 feet. It had kitchen, dinning room, 4 and ½ bathrooms, 5 bedrooms, laundry room, a study and a library

 

Selina had looked at it for 10 ten minutes then after that she had tried her best to ignore its presence. Nina had noticed and she had asked the child if she wanted it, Selina had vehemently denied every looking at it much less wanting it. Nina bought it in secret; that would be the Selina’s welcome home present.

 

There were still a lot of things that needed to be done. She had called her lawyer and she had him start proceedings for her to legally adopt Selina. He explained that she needed to get a hold of Olivia because she needed to sign some documents but she didn’t know where to start looking.

 

Alexander walked a step behind Nina and Selina. ‘she would make a good mother’ he thought ‘No, she was a good mother’ he corrected. Now that he had met her again he was even more curious as to what she had been doing in the club that night. More than that he was wondering who she was. “Can I offer you ladies a late lunch?”

 

“I don’t know” Nina answered uncertainly “it’s been…a long…”

 

“Please Mommy” Selina chimed in happily. A heart beat later she realised what she had said and her face contorted, a horrified look stole over her features. “I’m sorry…I didn’t mean…I was just thinking…well…that it would…be nice…if you were…my real mommy” the last of her words were said on a whisper that was barely audible.

 

Nina dropped to her knees and she pulled the child into a strong embrace. Placing a kiss on the side of her head she whispered word of reassurance to Selina. When she had calmed down Nina held by her shoulders and pushed her away slightly “Sweet heart, I’m going to adopt you. In a few weeks I will be your mommy and you can call me whatever you want to.”

 

Selina didn’t know what to say so she stayed quit. The tears started to run down her face. Nodding her head she held on to Nina as if her life depended on it. She was about to let go when she was lifted out of her arms. Now she rested in Alexander’s strong arms and for the second time that day she wondered who he was.

 

“How old are you” he asked 

 

“Eight” she replied

 

The look in his eyes mirrored what Nina had thought when Selina had told her her age. Sometimes during their encounter Nina thought he was overstepping his boundaries but now she was simply grateful for his presence. With him around it was slightly easier, now he occupied Selina while she struggled to regain her composure.

 

“How about McDonalds? Do you like McDonalds?” he asked. The child that rested on his hip was far too light. For an eight year old she wasn’t heavy enough and the bruises on her face were looking angrier and angrier. He healed her because he couldn’t do anything else. He healed her just enough so that the bruises didn’t hurt as badly and were well on their way to disappearing. 

 

“I’ve never had it before” she whispered into his shoulder.

 

Both Nina and Alexander said “what” in unison.

 

“Then we have to go” Nina said. She finally pulled herself together enough to speak. The shoppers that were walking past had started to stare. They tried to be discrete but there discrete stares were even more obvious.

 

Now as they walked together they looked like family. Selina was in heaven. She had gotten a kind and caring mother and for the first time she was being carried like a child should be. Secretly she hoped that Alexander could be her father but she didn’t want to hope for anything more. In a few hours she had been more fortunate than she had been in her entire life. She really didn’t want to jinx it.

 

 

This story archived at https://www.valentchamber.com/viewstory.php?sid=2467