Unguarded by notheruniverse
RetiredSummary:

At some point, you'll have to eventually let your guard down.


Categories: Original Fiction Characters: None
Classification: General
Genre: Romance
Story Status: Active
Pairings: None
Warnings: Adult Situations, Original Characters, Sexual Content
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 31 Completed: No Word count: 192818 Read: 288652 Published: May 08 2013 Updated: October 03 2015
Story Notes:

Simple love story.

1. Prologue by notheruniverse

2. Chapter 1 by notheruniverse

3. Chapter 2 by notheruniverse

4. Chapter 3 by notheruniverse

5. Chapter 4 by notheruniverse

6. Chapter 5 by notheruniverse

7. Chapter 6 by notheruniverse

8. Chapter 7 by notheruniverse

9. Chapter 8 by notheruniverse

10. Chapter 9 by notheruniverse

11. Chapter 10 by notheruniverse

12. Chapter 11 by notheruniverse

13. Chapter 12 by notheruniverse

14. Chapter 13 by notheruniverse

15. Chapter 14 by notheruniverse

16. Chapter 15 by notheruniverse

17. Chapter 16 PREVIEW by notheruniverse

18. Chapter 16 FULL by notheruniverse

19. Chapter 17 by notheruniverse

20. Chapter 18 by notheruniverse

21. Chapter 18 pt 2 by notheruniverse

22. Chapter 18 pt 3 by notheruniverse

23. QUESTION by notheruniverse

24. Chapter 19 by notheruniverse

25. Chapter 20 by notheruniverse

26. Chapter 21 by notheruniverse

27. Chapter 22 by notheruniverse

28. Chapter 23 by notheruniverse

29. Chapter 24 pt 1 by notheruniverse

30. Chapter 24 pt 2 by notheruniverse

31. A/N by notheruniverse

Prologue by notheruniverse


Prologue

He drove into me like it was his last resolve. I gripped the sheets beneath me for dear life, wondering what on earth had happened to my life and how I got to this point.

The way I was breathing was foreign to me. The sounds I was making sounded foreign to me. The way I was feeling felt foreign to me. The way I was moving was foreign to me.

This was all other worldly.

"Henry…" I panted, feeling another orgasm about to ambush me. I couldn't take it. I'd had three already from him going down on me. My body couldn't handle another moment of pleasure. I never knew it possible to run away from a feeling because it was so good, yet here I was.

"N-No more…too good…" I panted. I pushed him at his firm stomach, weakly trying to get him to stop, but that only encouraged him more.

He grabbed my wrists and pinned them up above my head.

His lips crashed into mine as he thrust hard into me. My scream was muffled by his growling mouth and my thighs reflexively lifted, giving him more access while he slammed into me.

I gave in and when he felt my submission, the hard kiss turned soft and his fingers intertwined with mine still above my head. He started to grind slowly into me, letting go of my hands and planting them on my hips. I was rendered breathless.

I'm not sure where I found the willpower to grab his face and return his kiss.

When I kissed him back, he started thrusting into me harder and harder, rubbing against my spot over and over again until I couldn't take it anymore. The orgasm shook me mercilessly and I lost all control. I screamed out in surprise at the orgasm, one so strong tears trailed down my temples. My body tensed up my fingers clawed into his sweaty back as I came undone for the next few seconds.

He too came, soundlessly. His fingers dug harder into my hips as he expended his release, the condom that had been hurriedly worn barricading him from coming inside me.

We were left panting loudly against each other, trying to catch our breaths. I lay there with him embedded within me, finally coming down to reality. As I did, I began to panic, wondering what on earth I was doing with my life. What was this?

As I groveled over actions I deemed shameful, I soon felt him smiling against my skin as he nipped at my collarbone.

There he went, dragging me back to that dream world where everything was amazing. Where everything made sense even when it wasn't supposed to.

I began mentally seesawing between reality and a dream, but forced myself to stay focused on reality. My reality normally meant being alone. It meant rejection and being ignored.

When I was around this man, it all didn't seem real because it was too good to be true. I'd tried fighting it for so long but every time I met with him, I fell harder and harder for him and this new reality. Only I knew such realities were not...permanent.

i had to get out of this false sense of hope I got when I was around him. I had to get out before I got completely lost.

Chapter 1 by notheruniverse
Author's Notes:

again, this is a very simple lighthearted and fluffy short story. just giving you a heads up.



Chapter 1

I was laughing and dancing with my cousin Ella as she danced with her boyfriend, Peter, behind her. Ella was the 'adorable one' . She had a short, spiky, pixie haircut, large almond eyes, a small nose and full lips. Her brown skin was smooth and almost always damn near perfect. The lucky broad didn't even need to wear much make up most of the time. Even a 'rolled out of bed' trip to the store never stopped men from stampeding towards her. Her body was a knock out, which she worked hard for, but she'd never really had to fight against her own body to get the 'ideal' look. She was pretty girl and I always felt like she was way out of Peter's league, but I guess that made me a real bad person. By out of her league, I wasn't talking physical appearance. He was a good looking guy, a few shades lighter than Ella, strong jaw, masculine build, and tall.

They actually looked good together, it was just his personality that I couldn't stand. I guess I was truly just biased againt him cause I'd never really liked the guy, and he'd never really liked me.

We just tolerated each other for her sake. He had no choice but to pretend that he liked me because I was family. Plus Ella and I had become extremely close ever since I'd moved.

We were all grooving when suddenly someone roughly pulled me by my hips and started grinding on me hard. My entire body froze. My face dropped and Ella burst out laughing.

I sighed and hoped that my unmoving body would discourage the person behind me, but they kept going. They even had me stumbling forward on the vibrating dance floor because they were grinding so hard.

"Valerie! C'mon!!!" Ella said loudly in my face, combating the penetrating bass in the club just to be heard.

I shook my head and with a heavy sigh, yanked the stranger's hands from my hips and stepped aside. I turned to catch a tall handsome guy walking away from me with a peeved expression. I was shocked that a guy as gorgeous as he would dance with me, and was immediately annoyed with that thought. Low self-esteem was a mother.

Yes, I was one of the many low self-esteemers in the world--sue me.

"You are horrible," Ella said and I shrugged and continued to dance merrily on my own.

It was a typical Saturday night for Ella and I. We both worked hard and always took Fridays or Saturdays to let off some steam. We always had fun, but ever since she started dating Peter, things were changing.

The proof was right in my face when he looked at me exasperatedly. At least he didn't always pretend to like me.

"Why don't you go find some guy to dance with, Val?"

"Peter!" Ella swatted the arm that was wrapped around her waist.

His shoulders hiked blamelessly, "What? I'm just sayi--"

"Peter? Is that you?"

We all turned to the thick British accent yelling over the music. A tall, curly haired guy came into view, his hand clamped over Peter's shoulder.

"HENRY!!!" Peter beamed as he gave the guy a handshake and a hug. "HOLY SHIT!!!"

The two young men laughed as they pulled back, eying each other in disbelief.

"IS THIS REALLY YOU?! IS THIS REALLY HAPPENING???" the British guy asked happily.

"Where the fuck have you been, dude?!" Peter exclaimed, giving him another hug.

As the two enthusiastically greeted each other, I started to go look for a place to sit when Ella pulled me back.

"Where do you think are you going?!"

"Well it's obvious that I'm bothering you two so I'm going to find a--"

"Shush! Don't listen to him."

I rolled my eyes. "Oh okay. I'll just keep on being the third whee--"

"Oh, and this is my girlfriend, Ella," Peter introduced her as he rounded her up to him with his arm over her shoulder. As much as I disliked him, he worshipped the ground Ella walked on. He was so proud. It must have been nice to have a guy show you off to the world with so much pride.

No matter how many times I saw a guy introducing his girl, I always felt a bit of envy. It never got old even at 26 years of age.
 
"Ella." Henry smiled as he held out his hand for her, then nodded with appreciation to Peter. "Nice job, mate."

"You know how I've always done," Peter said arrogantly, his arm slung over Henry's shoulder. He was now sandwiched between the two and the three of them were one little happy group while I stood off to the side like an afterthought. Story of my life.

"Henry?" Ella smiled prettily at him, shaking his hand. "You're British?"

"I suppose." He nodded with a boyish smile as he pocketed his hands, the movement causing the silver chain around his neck with a dog tag to swing. I took in the rest of him. He wore a dark blue blazer over a loose, white t-shirt with a low v-neckline that showcased his chest. He also had on black jeans and black suede boots.

He was a nice dresser, I admitted to myself as I raised my eyes back up his tall frame up to his chest again. He was slightly hunching forward as he laughed and I spotted two wing tattoos on either side of his sternum. They looked nice. I lifted my eyes. He had a nice, long, masculine neck too.

Oh well, I told myself as my knees began to feel weak.

Oh fucking well.

"I love your accent!" Ella practically squealed and I nearly rolled my eyes though I couldn't help but smile. His accent was interesting.

"Thank you! I like yours too."

 

They talked a bit more but I wasn't really involved. I busied myself scanning the crowd.

 

"I think your glasses are fucking cool," I heard in the distance, but didn't think anyone was talking to me as usual.

I surveyed the crowd, looking for a spot to sit at when a loud voice spoke in my ear.

"And you are?"

I jumped, wincing and touching my ear as I turned back around and caught a whiff of a musky, yet subtle cologne. The scent electrified me and spiked my senses. Oh god, I hoped I wasn't gravitating towards yet another guy who wouldn't even get with me if I was the last woman on earth.

"I'm sorry was that too loud?!" He apologized while placing his hand on the middle of my back and I got chills. What the hell? Chills?! Already??

"No you're fine," I said as I readjusted my glasses on my face. "I'm Val."

He put his hand out and I placed mine in his and stared at our hands. He had huge hands. He surprised me when he gently pulled me forward, bending so that he could speak into my ear.

"I was just saying that I liked your glasses. I don't think you heard me."

He stepped back and as I looked at his face, I felt a strange shiver go through me. His green eyes were extremely engaging with a certain light to them that made me a bit uneasy. I mean, they weren't harmful or anything, but they did appear to be a bit on the scheming side. But how when his smile was so innocent? Maybe he was just too friendly? He looked really happy to meet me as if I was as good an old friend as Peter.

 

Okay, I was completely overthinking this, but thats what i did around guys who made me feel...funny.

 

"Oh thank you! Nice to meet you!" I called out, somehow hoping that would signal to him that we were still shaking hands.

"Nice to meet you too," He said, finally letting go of my hand. I glanced at his faintly smiling lips. He had nice lips and a dimple just to make matters worse. Yes, worse, because I happened to like dimples and there was no sense liking them on someone who'd never really like me back.

Oh freaking well.

Long story short, I was one of the many women who never got the guy she was attracted to. I already knew I was already attracted to this guy.

He had a certain aura about him, a niceness that I often gravitated to (unlike most young women, nice guys were my thing, not the 'bad boys' we were often so stereotyped to like).

But then I'd learned the very hard way that nice guys like him were the worst. At least with bad boys, you knew you were getting a jackass from the get go. At least they didn't pretend to be something they weren't.


Nice guys were sneaky. i wasn't trying to generalize though. Just being cautious.

 

There I went again making rush judgements about someone I'd just met. I mentally slowed my roll. And anyway, I'd just met him for crying out loud. He probably had a girlfriend somewhere in the vicinity. No one with a smile like that walked around what I liked to call 'regularly single'. That was my department.

"Well guys, I'm gonna go get a drink. Have fun!" I gave them a small wave and was about to turn and leave when this Henry guy stopped me by gently grasping my hand. He immediately let go once he had my full attention.  

"Oh please, don't. My treat," He said, taking a step ahead of me.

When I looked at him inquiringly, he went on. 

"I'll get drinks for everyone," He insisted.

I was stumped and looked at this guy like he was crazy, even though he wasn't doing anything abnormal other than being polite. As he awaited my answer, he actually quickly looked down my frame and I felt like a spotlight had been placed on me. What the hell? He wasn't checking me out, was he? I hoped not. I suddenly became self-conscious and realized how hip hugging my dress was.My next urge was to cross my arms over my body like I was naked on a Saturday morning at a park. I mean, I thought I looked alright before his eyes fell on me, now I suddenly felt dissected. I was so used to being overlooked standing next to Ella that when I was actually looked at it felt like an earthquake was happening. I was obviously the queen of dramatics.

"I'll have a Long Island!" Ella jumped in, even though he was looking directly at me. He turned towards them, giving me his profile. Ah, he had the strong, angular jaw too.

Fuck my life.

"Okay, Long Island," he said, pointing and Ella, then pointed at Peter. "What about you, sir?" 

"Surprise me, bro!"

Henry grinned sneakily then cocked his head. "Are you sure about that?"

I stared at his dimples once again. I gnawed at the corner of my lip in silent frustration. The drink I had earlier was probably getting to me, although I knew that was a damn lie.

I couldn't remember the last time a set of dimples had me feeling…things. I hoped his girlfriend showed up quick to discourage my thoughts and 'things' feelings.

"Positive," Peter asserted and Henry turned to me. A shiver went through me. Ugh!

"And you me lady?"

"Uh, a…Liquid Marijuana, I guess."

His smile broadened as he stood straighter and he lifted his brows. "Liquid Marijuana, huh?" He nodded with approval. "I'm impressed. Good choice." He turned to the others. "I'll be right back."

I sighed, realizing I had to stay and wait with Ella and Peter. I was tired of hearing Peter's mouth about how I was basically cutting into their 'couple' time. I was just about to excuse myself to the restroom when Henry cut into my thoughts.

"Care to help me get the drinks, Val?" He asked as he stood next to me, his arm rubbing against mine as he pocketed his hands and rocked on the balls of his heels in playful, boyish charm, like he was asking for the biggest favor n the world. Even I couldn't resist his charm this time and had to smile.

Were butterflies really supposed to happen this early into meeting a guy? 

"Sure," I said.

"Yes!!" He yanked a fist to his body excitedly, like something truly amazing had just happened. I won't lie--it had me feeling really good and wanted, which hadn't happened for me in the courting department lately.

Still, I was reluctant as I followed along when he started for the bar. I supposed I could help him since he was buying the drinks.

It was exceedingly packed that night and a miracle that Henry and I were able to weave through the crowd. He had more finesse finding a path to walk through than I did. I kept getting knocked and bumped into on my way there, up until a woman with a very sharp heel practically stabbed my toe.

"OW!!" I yelped, stopping in the bustling crowd while my attacker continued to drunkenly dance the night away.

"Are you alright?" I heard with a hand weaving around the small of my back.

"Yeah," I said with a wince, rubbing my toes through my shoes as best as I could.

"Come on. Hold my hand. Don't want to lose you this time."

Without asking he took my hand into his and cautiously guided me through the crowd. I was staring at the curls on the back of his head wondering where this guy came from. Once again I tried to remind myself that as rare as gentlemen were in this day and age, they were out there. This in no shape or form meant he was attracted to me because my life simply didn't work like that.

I repeated that mantra in my head until we got to the bar. He let go of my hand but stood behind me like he was guarding me from everyone else, lest I get 'attacked' again by sharp-heeled drunkards.

"Does your foot feel okay?" he asked from behind me, so close I could feel his body heat against my back.

"It's fine thank you," I said, feeling extremely shy. My entire body was buzzing, and though I wanted to blame my earlier drink, I couldn't truly because I hadn't had one in two hours.

He was making me buzz.

The last time someone made me buzz, I experienced a pain so deep I changed.

Fuck. Self-esteem [i]and[/i] baggage issues. I was so original, wasn't I?

He managed to beckon the bartender over among the ruckus and ordered our drinks and for himself some water. Every movement he made, I felt against my back and..he felt so good. It was getting hard to keep my sanity and I couldn't understand why because he hadn't really done anything. How could he make me lose it so easily? Who the hell was this guy?

The rambunctious crowd continued to act up and someone bumped into Henry, who bumped into me and I slammed the lady standing next to me.

While I was profusely apologizing to the lady who rolled her eyes and continued talking to some guy, Henry immediately circled a protective arm around my midriff and held me firmly against him since he'd already regained his balance.

"You alright?!" he called out, his lips so close they brushed against my ear.

I nodded as shivers went through me. 

"It's pretty crazy in here tonight, I wonder why?" He said into my ear and my arms and legs felt like jelly. What the hell.

"It's graduation weekend for USF," I responded and he had to lean in again for me to repeat. His scent nearly made me melt against him and with his jawline this close to me I had an urge to touch it but thank god I still had my willpower.

These were just the reactions of a woman that hadn't had male contact in a pretty long while. I had to woman up and get it together.

After I repeated myself he nodded and thankfully let go of my midriff when he was certain the bar crowd was no longer too bad.

Still feeling a bit too close, a bit too comfortable with him shielding me this way with his entire body,  I stepped away so I was looking directly at him as we waited for our drinks.

I smiled politely but uncomfortably at him and he smiled back.

"So what is it that you do, Val?" he asked as we waited for the drinks, leaning with his elbow against the bar top.

"It's Valerie," I corrected him a bit more militantly than intended.

His seemed taken aback, and his handsome smile wavered a bit. "Oh. I'm sorry. Didn't mean to overstep my boundaries, Valerie."

I felt like a fool. "No. I'm sorry I didn't mea--"

"There you go. Thirty dollars even," the bartender interrupted, bringing all our drinks, and I was glad that the awkward moment was over. I took the first drink without really thinking which was which as Henry paid for them with cash and picked up two cups.

"Watch my drink while I take these to Peter and Ella," he told me and I nodded, now feeling uptight for being uptight, and sipped on my drink. One sip and I already felt the alcohol swimming through my body.

I was just taking my second sip when Henry's voice said in my ear,

"It looks like I'm going to have to work hard on breaking down that guard you have up."

I stared at my drink wide-eyed and by the time I turned around he'd been swallowed by the crowd, having left me with a racing heart.

And butterflies.

Why did I have this pressing feeling that my life was about to change?

 

Chapter 2 by notheruniverse

Chapter 3

 

"Sorry it took so long," I heard as a warm hand snaked around my waist. Even though the drink was quickly making its way to my head, I was still conscious enough to be self-conscious. I moved away quickly while taking a huge gulp of my drink. I didn't like being touched on my waist. The touch brought forth a panic that made me want to hide in the shadows. 

 

He didn't seem to notice and I was glad, but my own behavior began to really frustrate me and I drank more and more. We both stood there bobbing our heads lightly to the music and watching the crowd. Curiosity forced me to take a brief look at him as he took a sip of his water and I admired his jaw line. Again.

 

He was really, really not bad looking. Not necessarily my type, but not bad looking at all. I did have a feeling that he could become anyone's type. He was just one of 'those people' who gave you a certain feeling.

 

"You're not drinking?" I blurted out, knowing that the drink was starting to flourish in my system if I was so confidently making conversation.

 

He didn't hear me. The chatter at the bar was as loud as the music around the club. He tipped his head forward, which made his sexy cologne wrap around me and the pendant of his chain fall in front of him.

 

It must have been the cologne that possessed me because I boldly reached for the pendant and tried to read it in the constantly changing lighting of the club.

 

"Samantha," I heard him say above me and tilted my head back to find him with that small, amused smile. Those lips. My toes curled.

 

"Huh?"

 

"My mother's name"

 

Gasping, I let go of the pendant like it was hot. His smile enlarged as he stood straight.

 

"What? My mother's not allergic," he said in a playful, offended attitude. I could already see he had a good sense of humor and it made me smile no matter how hard I tried to fight it.

 

"It was my reflex because I had dirty thoughts."

 

And there went the unfiltered mouth that alcohol always opened.  I put my hand over my gaping mouth while his eyes widened as did his smile.

 

"Care to share?" he asked as he inched closer and I put a hand on his chest, laughing and moving back as far as the dense bar would allow.

 

"No." I shook my head emphatically. "Never. Ignore me please."

 

"It's kind of impossible after you say something like that."

 

When I made a suspicious face, he laughed and finally answered my earlier question."I don't drink much.

 

"But you let your friends drink," I quipped before taking a sip, making him smirk while nodding, sending a sinful tickle through my body.

 

"Someone has to be the voice of reason."

 

We shared a smile that made me look down at my drink. Oh hell. He was making me blush. That alone made me begin to feel panic deep within, but I sipped more on my alcohol to keep the feeling from taking over me.

 

"So you never drink when you go out?" I asked, a bit dizzy now.

 

"You don't have to drink to have fun."

 

I only lifted my eyebrows, turning away from him to have more of my drink, making him laugh.

 

"So what do you do, Val?" He paused and smiled. "Erie."

 

I smiled guiltily behind my glass. "I'm a software developer."

 

He nodded and couldn't hide the surprise on his face. "Sounds really smart."

 

I shrugged. "Not really. You?"

 

"Music producer."

 

I couldn't hide my surprise either. I thought he would be into information technology like many in this area.

 

"Really? That's really cool. So are you here on vacation or…"

 

"Oh I had some business in LA and figured, I'll come by and see my childhood friends."

 

I nodded, fascinated by all this for some reason. He'd gotten a bit serious and ensnared me with his eyes.

 

"I stayed with my father over some summers. He moved here with his wife, I made quite a few lifelong friends that never left. I always promised that I'd come back to visit. So," he held out his hands. "Here I am."

 

"A man of his words huh?" I smiled behind my cup.

 

"Definitely."

 

"Hey guys!" Ella found us in the nick of time, a moment I was sure would turn awkward. There was a certain way he was looking at me that made me want to hide. Peter wasn't too far behind her.

 

"Hey! Look who I found!!" Peter yelled to Henry as he pulled two young women along with him. The two brunettes shrieked with excitement and Henry's face lit up with a beaming smile.

 

"HENRY!!" The ladies damn near screeched in excitement as they ambushed Henry.

 

"Jasmine!!! Alexis!!!" He opened his arms to them and hugged them both. I knew them from highschool but I doubted they remembered me. That happened a lot. Ah well.

 

The shorter girl introduced her other friends and in a matter of seconds, they were all swooning at his accent. They circled around him, cutting me out of the group. They all resembled women who'd stereotypically be his type. He engaged them just as charmingly as he'd engaged me and I was brought back to reality that I wasn't special or breathtaking enough to catch a guy's attention. I would probably always fall into the backdrop.

 

I looked over at Ella whose arms were wrapped around Peter as he gazed lovingly down at her and they conversed.

 

The burning feeling of neglect I'd felt since I was a child began to creep up and I slipped away unnoticed.

 

While I walked round finishing my drink, I thought of how much I liked this atmosphere of being around high-energy people, but I was honestly growing tired of it. It was more fun when you knew more people and I was still a bit new to the place. I wondered what this experience would be like with a proud boyfriend, or just someone you absolutely knew liked you. I smiled wistfully, then began to frown at the reality that I was alone.

 

'You will be forever alone and no one will probably ever want you', a demon inside me seemed to say.

 

I stopped by the bathroom where there was a long line. While in there, I avoided the mirror as much as possible and tried not to compare myself to all the other women that filed in. This 'comparing myself to others' was a habit I'd picked up since very little and while there were good days where I didn't do it as much, today was not turning out to be a good day.

 

After I used the bathroom and was washing my hands, I made it a chore not to look at the mirror. I even reapplied my makeup without looking until I made the mistake and looked.

 

I was 5'5, with very light, faintly freckled skin especially around my button nose and high cheekbones. I had dark, shoulder length curly hair with eyes just as dark. I was what most would call average weight, even though I begged to differ. While I had a flat tummy I knew it could use more work to be even better. My arms were 'average' but I felt could be more toned. I hated my not too wide or narrow hips and I despised my legs too.

 

I knew looking at the mirror was a bad idea and left the bathroom, contemplating leaving the club but remembering that I didn't have a ride. Not wanting to chance running into Ella and crew, I went to the other bar at the opposite end of the building and ordered a Liquid Marijuana to drown out the sudden heavy feeling of insecurity that began to cloud over me.

 

When I tasted my drink I realized it was much different than the one Henry ordered and wondered for a second if he'd spiked my drink but knew it impossible cause I'd watched him from the time he ordered it to the time I sipped it.

 

I walked around and when the alcohol began to make me sway, sat down in one of the white lounge sofas they had on an elevated floor, up against the club's walls.

 

I was glad to find that no one occupied the sofa I had my eye on.. Most people were getting down to a song that was very popular at the time. The dj told the crowd to give it up to RH who was apparently in the club, and the crowd went wild, especially in the middle of the dance floor.

 

I nursed my drink for a few minutes when someone slid up beside me in the booth.

 

"How are you doing?"

 

With alcohol in my system, I was friendlier than normal and smiled. "Fine and you?"

 

He was much older than I was, but a little friendly conversation wouldn't hurt, right?

 

"Been watching you for a minute, looking good."

 

My smile wavered, but I tried to keep it on my face and laughed uncomfortably.

 

"Seriously." He aligned his arm with the back of the couch behind me and scooted closer. He brushed my hair from my face and tried to speak close to my ear even as I jerked away from him, surprised at his nerve to put his hands on me without permission. "What are you getting into after the club?"

 

I rolled my eyes, putting more space between us as I looked away.

 

"Nothing."

 

" Let me take you home and show you how to feel good."

 

I slapped his hand away from my knee as I stood up, grabbing my purse off of the table and leaving my drink unfinished.

 

"You got some nice meat I can grab onto, not like these other stick figure bitches you know?" he tried to pull me back down, "Come on."

 

"Let go of me!"

 

He reached or me again. "Come on girl--"

 

"Leave me the fuck alone," I gritted and evaded his grasp, hearing his laughter as I fled his presence. I tripped down one step as I hastily walked away but didn't let that deter me. Did I even have a right to be pissed? What the hell was I expecting anyway? I was at a club for crying out loud. Gentlemen didn't reside in those kinds of places.

 

I decided I was just going to hail a cab, wondering why I hadn't thought of that in the first place. I didn't have to ride with Ella.

 

I stepped out and was immediately encased by the ocean air of the city that lined the beach. Tilden was a very chill place, even on busy nights. I admired the chatter of the pedestrians walking nearby, the lights from different establishments sandwiching the traffic-filled roads. It was a pretty city west of San Francisco.

 

Tonight was a balmy summer night with a nice breeze, the kind of night that made a person want to create memories with that special someone.

 

Yep, I was an unfortunate 'hopeless', although I didn't really like using the word romantic to describe myself.

 

I walked slowly and leisurely as the alcohol began to wear off. I wasn't too far from the club when I received a text and retrieved my cell phone from my purse.

 

Ella: where are you?

 

Valerie: Outside

 

Ella: wtf?!?! Why??

 

I didn't bother responding and decided I'd look for cab numbers with my phone wifi.

 

"Val! Val??!"

 

I sighed when, a few minutes later, I heard Ella calling me, my name echoing throughout the street.

 

She caught up with me fast, holding on to my arm as she caught her breath.

 

"Don’t you ever make me run in heels again!" she warned and I said nothing, continuing to wait for my phone to connect. The service was pretty wacky so it was being slow.

 

"You can't just walk around these streets by yourself! Especially with that short dress."

 

"Don't worry. No one is going to talk to me."

 

Ella rolled her eyes and groaned in irritation. "Don't you start now. Are you ready to go?"

 

"Yeah. Are you?"

 

"Yep. When we decided to leave we realized you weren't there." She shifted her guilty eyes away and I just shrugged with a blameless smile.

 

"It's cool." We started to walk towards the parking lot. "We're going home right?"

 

The look Ella gave me made my shoulders sag. "Please tell me we're going home. Just drop me off before going wherever you guys are going."

 

"Fine," she mumbled.

 

We'd met Peter here, so I was thankful he was riding in his own car. I couldn't take more of his underhanded comments about me disrupting their nice little time together.

 

"So what did you think of Henry?" Ella asked as we exited the three story parking garage.

 

"He was okay."

 

I felt her exasperated gaze as I looked out ahead of me.

 

"Okay? Come on! He was cute. Don’t deny it."

 

I sighed. "Yes, he was cute." I smiled sweetly at her. "The end."

 

"Not the end. You saw how quickly he stole you away from Peter and I?"

 

"Right." I lay my heavy head against the headrest and closed my eyes. "To get me away from his precious friend and his girlfriend. I was clearly a distraction."

 

"Uh oh. Is Negative Nancy coming out to play?"

 

I ignored Ella's jab and kept my eyes closed. The alcohol no longer had me swimming in bliss but had me feeling sleepy. She turned up the music just a little bit as if to stealthily try to keep me awake. I kept my eyes closed to aggravate her.

 

A few minutes later I opened my eyes and quickly recognized my surroundings, then shot my eyes to Ella. I caught her in the act peering anxiously while biting her nails at me and when she saw that I was awake, she reacted like a kid with her hand in the cooking jar.

 

"This isn't the way home," I said monotonously, trying not to lose my temper.

 

"I know--"

 

"Oh god Ella! I'm tired!" I threw my hands up in exhaustion.

 

"We're just stopping by Sea Burgers for some burgers and that's it. After that we're leaving."

 

"I'll just wait in the car," I mumbled.

 

"You know what? I'm about to stop going anywhere with you. You always turn situations into just…ugh."

 

The car became quiet and Ella turned the volume back up. As we drove without speaking to each other I thought of all the other times I'd ruined her fun because of my tantrums. I never used to see or understand why she or others would get frustrated with me, but I'd come along way and could finally see other people's sides in respect to my behavior.

 

I turned the music down.

 

"I'm sorry I know I'm being a party pooper, negative nancy, childish, immature person right now Ella, but I looked in the mirror and had a nervous breakdown."

 

She frowned and looked at me briefly. "But I thought you were getting better."

 

"I was. I am. I don’t know I guess today I just felt odd." I tinkered with my phone before grudgingly admitting. "And I've been thinking about my life and all that crap lately."

 

Ella gasped. "Cause your birthday's coming back!" she reached out for my hand. "Oh sweety, I should have known. I'm sorry."

 

I squeezed her hand.

 

"It's okay. It's not your fault. It's my fault for being a big baby." I was embarrassed by my behavior. Looking at the mirror sometimes made me behave irrationally and got me antsy, but I couldn't pretend that I hadn't been feeling antsy the entire night especially after the way Peter tried to shoo me away.

 

I needed to stop dragging people down with me whenever I was in a bad mood. I squeezed her hand again and made her look at me briefly again. She was shocked by my encouraging smile.

 

"You know what? Let's go to Sea Burger. We're gonna have a good time."

 

Ella sent me a appreciative smile and I stuck my tongue out at her like I always did when she was about to get sentimental.

 

We talked about a number of subjects before falling on men once again.

 

"Peter looks just about ready to take you home," I told her and she tried hard not to smile.

 

"You guys are disgusting," I wrinkled my nose distastefully.

 

"Oh you just wait. When your prince comes--"

 

I gagged and she laughed.

 

"Stop it. Your man will be your prince. You are so fucking jaded its ridiculous," she said.

 

"No. words like Prince in this day and age are just whack. I don't need a prince Ella. And I've already concluded that whatever guy wants to be with me will be someone who I wont be attracted to. It's always like that. I know, I know, it's juvenille and shallow, but for once I just want someone who I'm…ugh…wait no I don't cause we all know what happened last time…"

 

I sighed heavily, looking out the window. "You know it's time for me to stop this pity party and get with the program. I don't need--"

 

"Okay maybe Henry is not your type but he kept asking where you were even though I don’t know why from what he told us, you were kind of being a bitch towards him."

 

I stared at Ella wide eyed. "He asked about me? Wait, he called me a bitch?"

 

"No. I did. What's with the 'It's Valerie', when he called you Val?"

 

I groaned and face-palmed. "No that wasn't my intention. I was just trying to tell him hey just in case you didn't know, my full name is Valerie. You introduced me as Val."

 

"Well, you should have told him that."

 

"Well, he came back after he gave you guys your drinks and he was cool."

 

"He said you look like the type that doesn't want to be bothered."

 

I shot her a mortified look and she shrugged as she parked the car at Sea Burger's parking lot.

 

"I think he likes you," she said as we got out of the car and grabbed our purses.

 

"I think not," I shut her down quickly and closed the door, catching her rolling her eyes. I didn't blame her at all. It wasn't fun having the 'I have no confidence no guys like me' friend in your circle. For a long time I'd been that friend for so long I never realized how annoying it was till I met someone else who was just like me. I tampered down my wails about being unloved with most people but with Ella I didn't because I could be so honest without fearing her reaction.

 

"It's too late anyways--"

 

"There you are!" I jumped when I heard Henry's voice and looked up to find him and Peter approaching our car.

 

"Henry!" I said, startled. His voice was loud and clear and still unique as ever in the quiet parking lot. Now without the distracting sounds of the club, I got the full effect of his voice. It was deep and husky. It damn near shook my soul.

 

I swear I was about to fall to my knees and pray to god that he didn't have a sexy voice too.

 

"She successfully tracked you down. I thought you were running away from us."

 

He was grinning. And the dimples. So my knees decided it would be a good idea to get weak. I guess I was going to fall to my knees either way. Great. Whatever. Who cares, right?

 

"Oh no I wasn't." I tried to keep it cool and walked up to him.

 

"Yes you were."He smirked as he fell into step with me while we walked into the small 24 hour restaurant.

 

"No I wasn't," I insinsted as I looked away. For some reason I didn't want him to see me smiling.

 

"You were." He blocked my view when he stepped in front of me facing me and started walking backwards. "You've been hightailing from me the entire night."

 

I looked at him surprised that he called me out so boldly. "No I wa--Okay, maybe."

 

He smiled big and he had one of the most gorgeous, infectious smiles I'd ever seen. It was a sweet smile.

 

"Honesty. I like it." he fell back into step with me as we neared the restaurant.

 

By then we met up with Peter and Ella at the restaurant. We ordered our food and alcohol which the guys offered to pay for and decided to sit outside on one of the benches. Sea Burger was located right by the beach and an extremely popular hangout for all kinds of people. It was especially ravaged by people like us who wanted to grab quality food right after hitting the clubs.

 

We all sat down to eat our burgers and partook in small talk. Henry and Peter were the ones mainly reminiscing about their younger days and the various visits Henry took to come and visit them through the years.

 

"Dude, you know when I knew you were a cool guy?" Peter said to him, then looked at Ella and I. "This has to be the most loyal son-of-a-bitch I've ever met."

 

Henry smiled bashfully as he looked down at the fries he was picking. His dimples were making me cry on the inside. He looked so cute with his dark brown curly hair whipping about his head as he tried to hide his embarrassment over Peter's appraisal of him.

 

"Everything he said he will do, he does. He's like one of the most thoughtful. Let me tell you something, you remember when my mother had to go through chemo and had just lost her job and had no insurance--"

 

"Peter, you don't have to mention it--"

 

"This is the guy who pitched in and helped pay for the majority of it."  

 

Ella gasped while I looked at him in silent awe.

 

"You're the guy?!" Ella exclaimed. "He always said some friend of his helped when he was struggling. I think he mentioned your name, oh screw me for not remembering. Oh god, but you guys were so young when this happened. Twenty-two I think? How were you able to help at that age?"

 

He shrugged and looked like he wanted to hide in his jacket. I found it amusing that a guy who exuded such confidence could be so shy when it came to his good deeds. Most people wore their charitable acts like a badge of honor and here he was trying his darnest not to hide under the table.

 

"I just helped because I could at the time. I know Peter would do the same so," He shrugged.

 

"This dude," Peter patted him on his back. "He's one of the realest I've ever met. I owe you one bro."

 

My surprise was unending. Most friends wouldn't even involve themselves in family business like that, even if they could help.

 

He was such a nice guy, it seemed. Even now I couldn't let my warped reality of nice guys contaminate the respect I had for him from this little revelation.

 

I continued to drink more and more, wondering why I was feeling so bothered. And it wasn't all of a sudden. It's ever since I crossed paths with those green eyes earlier that night. His eyes were so hard to read, but they were so engaging.

 

I took a chance and peeked up at him. His arms were folded and he was looking at me. I felt surprise and mild humiliation for trying to sneak a peek so openly and looked away, pulling at the straw so hard without noticing. 

 

"There we go McChuggin. Keep chuggin' em. We need you to loosen up."

 

I looked at him to find him his ruby lips half-smirking while he continuously averting his gaze between my lips and my eyes. Peter and Ella laughed.

 

"Dude, don't even bother," Peter interjected and as he spoke to him, Henry never once took his eyes off of me. "You wont even get into the first inning with her."

 

"I like a challenge." He briefly roved from my head to my chest and back up, scorching each place his eyes landed. Ella sqealed and laughed because she knew just how strange I got whenever a guy tried to flirt with me. If it was up to me I'd just evaporate into thin air but I guess that was asking too much from the man upstairs.

 

I forced a disgusted expression on my face to conceal my blush, making Ella laugh uncontrollably. Henry's smile widened.

 

"That is one challenge you can't break. You'd be breaking some kind of unmatched record."

 

"Peter!" Ella gritted admonishingly. I didn't even bother with Peter. I was so used to him scaring guys away from me when I wasn't doing it myself. 

 

"I believe anything's possible. Don't you, Valerie?"

 

When he said my name, forgive me but I melted inside. I just felt weak. There was something about the way he said my name, but at the same time I couldn't tell if he was mocking me for making him have to say the whole thing. He enunciated it with great calm like he loved for each word to roll off his tongue.

 

He was waiting for a response, but I was tongue-tied. My face was burning. Butterflies were all over the place in my gut. I felt like I was up in the clouds. Maybe it was the alcohol.

 

"Uh…I guess?" I said awkwardly, not liking that all eyes were on me.

 

"You're a tough cookie," he said as Ella suddenly got up and I was thankful for her distraction cause I didn't know what I was supposed to say to that.

 

"Well I'm done here," Ella said as she gathered up her messy takeout box and when she reached for mine, I started to get up to.

 

"No you stay here."

 

"Aren't we leaving?"

 

"I need to have a word with Peter."

 

Peter averted his gaze between Ella and me then his eyes lit up like a lightbulb switched in his head and he too got up.

 

"Oh yeah. If both of you could excuse us for a minute," he said. 

 

I knew my eyes were shooting lasers at Ella for being so damned obvious but I didn't want to make Henry feel like I hated him or something. He hadn't really done anything wrong. I just didn't want to be alone around him.

 

"Here, I'll get that," she took my box and Peter took Henry's.

 

"Thanks mate," Henry said.

 

"We'll be right back," Ella said as the two walked to the trashcan and then towards the beach, hand in hand.

 

"She couldn't be any more fucking obvious," I mumbled dryly. 

 

"Do I make you uncomfortable?" he asked and I looked at him. I could tell only one ounce of him was truly concerned. He was as cool as a cucumber and the mischief in those predatory eyes said he wasn't the least bit remorseful. He looked like he was really having fun making me squirm.

 

"No. No, you don't," I said and the straw I was pulling from made a slurping sound that embarrassed me heavily. I expected him to laugh but when I looked up he had that wide amused smile on his face. 

 

"Interesting. Excuse me," Henry stopped one of the waitresses milling about. "Could you get her another of those Pain Killers. I think she's going to need it."

 

Without thinking, I added, not wanting to be outdone. "Could you get him one, too?"

 

He smiled, then nodded in appreciation. "This should be fun."

 

Normally I wouldn't even get this far into semi-flirting with a guy. I was about to turn it down a notch, but I decided what the heck to stop being so uptight. Maybe that pain killer had something to do with it. So I pulled on my straw again, creating that awful slurp and said, "Bring it on, Henry."

 

His eyes widened in surprise and he laughed quietly.

 

I smiled.

 

I usually didn't just smile.

 

 

Something was happening to me. 

Chapter 3 by notheruniverse

 

 

Chapter 3

 

"So Henry, where are your groupies?"

 

My second Pain Killer drink gave me very little restraint. I was still a bit mindful of what I said, but more open.

 

He lifted his dark eyebrows in surprise while taking sip from his glass of water. He hadn't touched his Pain Killer drink since it came.

 

"Groupies?"

 

" Those girls at the club were all over you."

 

He smiled knowingly, like he knew I was just a tiny bit jealous, but said nothing of it.

 

"They were just friends."

 

"Alexis was not just a friend."

 

"We're friends," he insisted with calm.

 

"With bonus points?" I asked surreptitiously as I sipped my drink. I can't believe I was asking him all these questions.

 

"Bonus points?"

 

"My version of friends with benefits." It's only after I said the words that I realized I was asking a stranger whether he was into friends and benefits. My manners were flying out the window but right when I was about to apologize, he thankfully answered and was not offended at all by the question.

 

"She's just a friend."

 

I narrowed my eyes distrustfully. "It's okay. This is the honesty table isn't it?"

 

"How do you feel about friends with bonus points?" he asked. 

 

Normally I'd have been offended that he asked me that and we barely knew each other but I was feeling very free that night, so I shrugged."It's fine but I don't know. For me personally I don't have the willpower to go through with it."

 

"So then you're a relationship girl." He didn't say that accusingly like most men in my age bracket would have done. I didn't blame them because I didn't care for commitment. At least at the moment I didn't.

 

I quickly tried to explain myself because I didn't want him thinking that I was 'those kind' of girls.

 

"Not really. I don’t really care much about them and I haven't been in that many relationships," I explained and he nodded. He kept looking at my lips and that made me drink more.

 

"How many have you been in?"

 

I always got embarrassed when answering this question. I decided to just be honest, "One."

 

"Your greatest love of all?" He wore that faint smile that I was beginning to like so much.

 

"Greatest? More like most painful."

 

My face was aflame and I began to regret what I'd just divulged to a stranger. Thankfully he didn't make me feel odd about revealing something that made me feel strange and nodded as he looked out at the restaurant.

 

"The greatest love will do that to you."

 

I admired his profile as the wind continued to blow his curls about his forehead. 

 

"Someone has experience," I said. 

 

He smiled, looking down at the table. "I've put in a few years, yeah."

 

His voice! It was so deep and raspy, I just couldn't get over how it wasn't what I'd expected. Lord forgive me but when he spoke I just lost it. 

 

I could listen to him talk all day, I think. And he talked a bit slowly, like he was almost always in a calm mood. 

 

"How many relationships have you been in?" I asked.

 

I couldn't remember the last time conversation flowed so easily with another human being. I made sure to keep in mind that I was drinking and that he wasn't the reason. I had to stop getting ahead of myself.

 

"Serious ones, three," he answered. 

 

"And your greatest love of all was which?"

 

"My second."

 

"What happened?"

 

He smirked. "That's more than I asked you, Miss Valerie."

 

I tilted my head. "Got somethin' to hide?"

 

"We all do. But I prefer, or at least I'm trying to be an open book. I'll just say simply it was a huge mistake."

 

I nodded and focused on stirring my drink with a sad smile. "Aren't they all mistakes?"

 

"What?"

 

It was on the tip of my tongue, but I couldn't bring myself to say it. No matter how drunk I am. I punked out and looked down from his gaze, "I don't know."

 

"No. Tell me."

 

A strong feeling went through me at the way he said the words gently. I looked up and his green eyes gleamed with satisfaction when he saw how flustered I was. I didn't want him to think that he could make me speechless, so I grappled with a defensive response.

 

"Am I being ordered around?"

 

"I meant you can be honest with me. Say what you really want to say, and not worry about me judging you." He said a with a hint of seriousness while he linked his hands on the table. As he did, I spotted some black markings on his wrist, which made me look at his hands. They were rather large, and for some odd reason that made me blush.

 

Something possessed me to reach across the wooden table top and pull at his hand. I felt his blazing gaze on me as I pushed up his sleeve and confirmed that he had a tattoo of thorns circling his wrist.

 

His skin was warm and very inviting. A shiver went through me when I felt the need to touch pull his jacket further and touch more of him but I miraculously kept my composure. I swear I was starting to burn with how much I was drawn to this guy. He had a certain energy around him that made me feel comfortable.

 

He made me let my guard down without even really trying.

 

"I was sixteen and dumb," He explained as I gently ran the tip of my fingers over the tattoo. "This was my first. Where's yours?"

 

I didn't really think about it. I didn't feel like I had to. Without question, I turned around on the bench and lifted my hair off of my nape.

 

"Ah, pretty," he said when I was sure he saw the letter V done in Georgian calligraphy. I smiled because I really liked the way the word 'pretty' sounded in his British accent. I turned back around gnawing at my bottom lip coyly.

 

"Creative," he teased and when I stuck my tongue out at him and he stuck his out too and smiled. My heart skipped a beat and only then did I realize that my heart was thudding in my chest. There were only two people who knew I had that tattoo and I'd known both of them for a while. Even my parents didn't know, but what parents wanted to know whether their child had tattoos or not?

 

The point is I'd shown this guy a part of me I kept private when I barely knew him. Not only that, but I didn't want to embarrass him by making me think I'd dare talk to a guy like him. I guess I "knew my place" in the world.ars.

The thought began to make me retreat. I let go of his hand and wrist and placed them in the safe zone of my lap. I was still buzzing from having touched him though.

 

"What's wrong?" he asked, surprising me and I looked up to find him a bit concerned. I didn't mean to be so obvious and I laughed nervuosly. 

 

"Nothing. Hey, let's play the 'give the don't ask too deep questions but give the first answer that pops in your mind game'."

 

"Haven't heard that one before. Let's play."

 

I smiled, realizing that he was the type who was always up to have fun.

 

"Favorite time of the year?" I shot the first question.

 

"Summers in the Bahamas are great. You?"

 

"You've been to the Bahamas?!"

 

"Yeah? Have you not?!" He asked in a playfully judging tone and expression that made me laugh. 

 

"No! I haven't."

 

"Your life is incomplete without a Bahamas vacation, Valerie."

 

I should have been annoyed with how much he said my name after almost every sentence but every time he said it, I felt the strong urge to smile.

 

"I know I'm just such a workaholic," I looked to the side to show that I was bullshitting and he laughed. "Looking for hotels and resorts and all that, it's just stressful."

 

"You can stay at my place."

 

"Huh?"

 

"I have a condo down there."

 

"That was so smooth. Way to sneak in that you got it made."

 

"No. I'm a regular old joe who got lucky."

 

I stared at him thoughtfully. He had to be around our age but so far from what I heard he seemed well off. Most people in this area were doing okay but we were all still pretty young and trying to figure it all out. He seemed to have it made already. Or maybe he came from old money? Even though I came from a family that was doing well, my parents--mostly my father--always made sure to remind me that the money they attained was theirs and that I needed to make my own fortune.

 

Maybe he was more successful of a music producer than I knew.

 

"So you must be a big time music producer then."

 

He shrugged in a self-effacing manner, once again avoiding eye contact. This seemed to be the only thing he was shy about.

 

"What songs have you made? Are they really popular?" I asked.

 

"They're alright," he said flippantly. 

 

"Is Mr. Henry turning red?"

 

"Are we still playing the what was it, honest but don’t ask too deep questions game?"

 

I laughed.

 

"What's your favorite time of the year?" he asked me, changing the subject and I let him off the hook just this once.

 

"I like winters in New York."

 

He scrunched up his nose.

 

"Snow is…ah, snow," he said instead, trying to be polite with a fake smile that made me laugh hard.

 

"Oh whatever! Next question," I said with a smile that was hard to write off.

 

"Boyfriend?" he asked pointedly and I froze as my eyes widened. Henry mimicked my expression then smirked teasingly and I narrowed my eyes at him even though I couldn't help smiling at him. 

 

"Nope. You?"

 

He grinned, appreciating my teasing. "Cheeky."

 

My eyes widened again and I instantly felt self-conscious. I immediately began to feel like yep, it was only a matter of time. "What?"

 

"Cheeky. It's kind of how we say someone's sneaky or charming. It's a good thing, In this case at least."

 

I felt so much relief inside but my reaction to making his words negative was what bothered me and lingered. I laughed uncomfortably and picked up my Pain Killer. "Oh." 

 

"But no, I don't have a boyfriend, to answer your question," he went on even though I knew he could tell I was caught off guard with that word he threw at me. I guessed he was used to Americans not getting his British lingo at times. I decided to let it go and continue the game. 

 

"Girlfriend?" I asked him next. 

 

"No."

 

I nodded. I was surprised then again I wasn't.

 

"Favorite food?" He asked next.

 

"Chicken quesadillas. You?"

 

"I have a bunch. Right now, I have a taste for mother's Toad in the Hole."

 

At my clueless expression, he elaborated. "It's like …It's a british thing. It's really good."

 

"And it would be a noble thing to make some for me someday." I tried to stop smiling by sipping from my drink.

 

"Will do. If you let me."

 

"I never say no to free food."

 

We shared a smile and I looked down from him.

 

"I just said that to be exotic I actually McDonalds french fries. Like, a lot. It's my horrible guilty pleasure of the moment."

 

I laughed. "Got to love Mickey Ds. Okay, my turn. Favorite song of the moment?"

 

"Let Me Love You by Neyo. Did you just roll your eyes at me?! I really like that song! What's yours?"

 

"Somebody I Used to Know by Gotye."

 

He nodded approvingly. "He's a very talented fella. Favorite time of the day?"

 

"5 o'clock."

 

"Why?"

 

"Cause it's clock out time, duh! Time to head on home from work!"

 

He smiled and I got butterflies. Ugh.

 

"Ah, I see. The good ol' 9 to 5."

 

"Hey don't be mad cause your schedule is irregular."

 

"Not mad at all."

 

"I actually envy you. It must be nice to just not have the same thing every day."

 

"It's fun but it's hard work. Meeting deadlines is horrible. When it's close to deadlines I get about 3 hours of sleep a night."

 

There was a serious side of him trying to get out, a passionate fire hibernating in his eyes, but he tried to keep it in check. I didn't want to harp him for it because discussing his career seemed to make him uncomfortable for some reason.

 

"Poor you." I pouted sarcastically and he lifted his eyebrows with a huge smile while nodding.

 

"You're fun. What about you?"

 

"Me? I got to get my 8 hours a night."

 

"So you're not good at staying up all night..."

 

The way he said it made me squirm, but I pretended I didn't know what he was getting at.

 

"I'm the resident sloth okay. I can't function on 3 hours unless it's like the absolutely last option."

 

He simply smiled secretively while drinking his water, like he knew something about me that I didn't know.

 

"What about you, your favorite time of day?" I searched for something to say. His eyes were bordering on smoldering and I couldn't handle such stares, especially after touching his wrist got me excited. His wrist for crying out loud!

 

He set his glass down. He then leaned to one side as he fished in his pocket as he looked about the restaurant, then he suddenly stopped. "I think I have a new favorite. It's constantly changing. It just keeps getting better."

 

"What is it?"

 

"3:12 AM."

 

"Why?"

 

He pointed to the left and I followed his gaze, realizing the clock on top of the stand where food was picked up was what made stop and look earlier It indeed was around 3:12 in the morning and a rush of heat permeated through me when I realized what he was trying to say. With my elbow on the table, I placed my chin in my palm and tried to cover my smile with my fingers.

 

"Did it work? Did I get you to blush? I think I did. I see a little blush here and there."

 

I feigned a serious expression although I was going to learn soon it would be hard to compose myself around this mystery Henry guy.

 

"It didn't work." I tried to say in a steely voice and raised my chin arrogantly folded my arms. "It says 3:13."

 

Instead of being turned off by my theatrics, his smile widened. "I said it keeps changing cause it keeps getting better didn't I?"

 

I was feeling weak all over. Damn being human and all these emotions another human being could give you. I know we were just having fun with a little flirting here and there but I could see the burning in his eyes was making me feel all kinds of things inside.

 

I was royally fucked and I knew after he said he was going to get my guard down I should have hailed that cab a long time ago and just hightailed into the safety of the condo Ella and I shared.

 

"I-I have to go," I said as I started edging out of the bench. Henry began to slide out too, his eyes playful yet still predatory. I felt an excited rush going through me. I gaped at him and him mimicked me. I shook my head as I continued to try to escape.

 

"Where?" he asked.

 

"I don't know. Somewhere. Anywhere. Far away from here." I stood up with my purse in tow but Henry would not easily let me go. He blocked my path, planting both hands on either side of my hips on the table. His warmth and scent enveloped me. I was losing this battle, if I hadn't lost already.

 

"Want to bury your blushing face in the sand?" He asked as he towered over me. I could see the tattoos on his chest again. He had a nice masculine neck. He was so close I got turned on and excited.

 

Shit.

 

I hang my head exasperatedly but nodded in surrender. "Yes. Yes, that's what I want to, need to do."

 

"Okay come." He took out a hundred dollar bill and then took my hand. "I'll help you."

 

I looked over my shoulder to where we were seated and then at our linked hands, and at the back of Henry's head. His dark brown curls looked even better in brighter lighting and I had the urge to run my fingers through them, but I was too shocked by the hand holding. I looked about around us. There weren't that many people, but I was confused as to why he was holding my hand in public and not bothered at all by it.

 

He must have sensed my hesitation, for he turned around and gently tagged me till I was walking side by side with him.

 

"Are you afraid of sand too?" we were now walking down the steps of the boardwalk to the white sands.

 

"What do you mean, too?" I asked dumbly. I was still confused, just floating in the clouds where my butterflies seemed to have taken me. His hand felt so good around mine.

 

"Well when we were at Chasers, you were afraid when I said hello. Afraid when I bought you the drink. Afraid when I tried to stop you from falling to your doom. Afraid to speak to me when our drinks returned--"

 

"Shush. I'm not afraid. Just apprehensive of strangers like any other normal person."

 

"You are now holding the stranger's hand."

 

"I have alcohol in my system. It doesn’t count."

 

"Right. Oh look what we have here."

 

Ella and Peter weren't too far off from the boardwalk so we met up with them quickly. They were running around playing with a neon colored beach ball and as much as I couldn't stand Peter I appreciated the fact that he made Ella so happy. 

 

"What are you guys doing?" I asked.

 

"We found an abandoned volleyball. You guys against us. Here's the line" Peter began to draw a line on the sand with his foot. 

 

"Looks like we don’t have much of a choice, partner," Henry said to me.

 

"Let's show these guys how it's done," I said, surprising both him and myself as I took off my heels. I wished I hadn't agreed to play when Henry took his blazer off. There were more tattoos up his arm, and while they were much more than I usually liked, seeing them on him nearly made me faint. He looked good with them. There were more on his left arm than his right, and a muscular arm it was. He wasn't overdrive buff, but he was muscularly lean enough to prove that he took his physical health seriously. He had nice sized biceps that weren't too big or too small.

 

I suddenly felt something light hitting the corner of my head. Holding my head, I turned to find Ella laughing her ass off at my plight. She'd thrown the volleyball at me. I'd been staring at Henry that hard. Oh god, it had reached the point where the world around me didn't exist when I looked at him. That was not good.

 

"Pay attention!!" she shouted.

 

"Oh I'll pay attention all right," I got the ball and when I tossed it up, I missed after it fell back down for my hit. This sent everyone into a fit of laughter because it was clear I was too tipsy if I couldn't hit a ball that was right in front of me.

 

I grabbed the ball and threw it at Henry who was bawled over laughing. It hit him on his bowed back.

 

"You're supposed to be on my side!" I wailed to him, trying hard not to laugh myself. 

 

He responded by grabbing the ball and tossing it at me. Somehow, I missed, and Peter laughed hard at him. I grabbed the ball, threw it to Henry, and watched him retaliate as he hurled it at Peter who caught it and flung it to Ella, barely hitting her.

 

This turned into a game of ball tag. All four of us had fun, latching onto the last years of our young adulthood, or at least whatever was left of it. We were soon over playing and Ella and Peter ventured off into their own direction. As they walked off I chose that moment to appreciate our surroundings. It was such a beautiful night. The ocean waves were crashing onto the shore with a full moon overlooking the expansive beach and the salty smell of the ocean around us.

 

This was definitely a time I'd remember for a while. It made me a little bit sad.

 

"Are you alright?"

 

Henry's voice surprised me and I looked at him I hadn't. He was standing with his hands in his back pocket. His windblown hair was sexily all over the place. His thin shirt rippled and his necklace clinked due to the fairly strong breeze.

 

"We're getting old," I said.

 

"When's your birthday?" He asked and the question made me balk up for reasons I'd rather not think about.

 

"June 8th. 1986"

 

"Why'd you say it like that? Do you not like your birthday?"

 

"You're too observant, Henry," I said with a small smile.

 

"I am," he admitted as he began to walk towards me. "That's almost two weeks away isn't it?"

 

I shrugged and looked back at the ocean, ignoring the way my heart galloped when he began to near. "I'll be twenty-seven this year."

 

"Try turning twenty-eight." He was standing beside me now watching the picturesque ocean with me."Why is that such a bad thing to turn twenty-seven?"

 

I hesitated, but this thought had been weighing on me so much and I hadn't really confided in anyone about it. I knew most of it was me just mopping around, but it was weighing too heavily for me to ignore as of late.

 

"I missed out on so much. Now I feel like it's almost too late."

 

"Why did you miss out on so much?" Henry had sat down. I looked down to find that his knees were raised, and he put his weight on his elbows as he leaned back. I sat down beside him with my legs crossed.  

 

"I worried too much about dumb stuff when I was young. I cared what people thought about me, so I never partook in the fun things people do in high school or college. No prom blah blah blah. Didn't do much spring break. It's stupid I know. And no I'm not feeling sorry for myself, just kind of thinking."

 

"You were protective over yourself?"

 

"I had to be."

 

"Why?"

 

This is where I normally stopped revealing too much about myself. "I just met you."

 

He sat up and rested his arms on his raised knees. "And meeting you has been one of the most fun experiences in all my years on this planet. And I've been to many different places and met many different people but I never quite got the same feeling with them that I'm getting with you." He looked squarely at me. "It's weird."

 

My heart began thudding loudly again. I began to panic. Not because he was freaking me out but because I felt the same.

 

My panic made me defensive and I stood up and began dusting my sandy behind.

 

"I know there are not any other options but please don't consider me an easy lay."

 

He looked confused at first, then smiled as he looked down at the sand, then picked up a broken shell that was by his boot."Original."

 

"What?"

 

"You go to the 'I think you’re an easy lay because I'm actually listening to what you're saying' because you think that I think that you'd be so impressionable to fall for the first guy who asks you 'are you okay' instead of me just being genuinely interested in why a woman with so much spirit would hold herself back from her best years, no prom, blah blah blah, etcetera. You didn't strike me as the cliché type, Valerie. I gave you more credit than that."

 

I was too stumped to speak. He tossed the shell and stood up, facing me as he pushed his hands into his pockets.

 

"But, your story is yours to tell. I wont pressure you to give me any details. All I can tell you is you can't get that time back, but you can focus on, 4:04 AM and make the following minutes the best you've ever had so that you can say, I may have not had the time of my life in my teens, but on that Saturday morning at about 4 o'clock I had the most fun I'd ever had in my entire life and you can treasure it instead of lingering on a time you'll never get back."

 

I was rendered speechless. Even if these were some new pick up lines, I couldn't deny them. I couldn't shun them. I took heed to his words. That's what I did before with our 'honesty' and I had a blast, didn't I?

 

As if reading my thoughts, he slipped his fingers around mine. He was patient about it, one finger connecting with mine, and then another, all the while looking warmly into my eyes.

"No prom?" his hand now encased mine. He pulled me to him and while looking down at me, he took hold of my other hand and said, "Let's give you a prom."

 

My knees nearly buckled as waves of euphoria swept through me. I couldn't deny him now. I gave in and allowed him to hold me. He smoothed his hands up the curves of my hips to my waist. Deep down inside I was as panicked as I was also exhilarated. He was touching parts I detested about myself but we were both lucky I was intoxicated enough to where it didn't bother me as much as usual.

 

I lay the side of my head on his chest with my hands flat against his stomach, which was nice and firm. He had a few packs going on which was always a good thing.

 

"I'm probably getting make up on your shirt right now."

 

"Don't care."

 

"What song are we dancing to?" I asked, smiling against his chest.

 

"Our heartbeats," he said laughingly and I threw my head black to look at him in disbelieve.

 

"That was good wasn't it?"

 

When we were this close I could see how long his lashes are. Hell, they were longer and finer than mine. Screw him for being so beautiful.

 

"If this were a book, I'd throw it into a pit of flames at this moment."

 

I loved how he'd always smile whenever I teased him. He was such a good sport.

 

"Did you want to throw the book when I said my favorite time of the day?"

 

"Almost but it was still really sweet of you to say."

 

"Good. As for the song, well, what's your favorite slow song?" he said as he fished in his pocket.

 

"Ummm, I don’t know." I rested my head against his chest again. He was just so comfortable. That was my defense mechanism against looking him in the eye.

 

He sighed exasperatedly and drawled out my name in his deep, raspy voice. "Valerieeeee." The vibrations I felt on his chest against my face sent an exciting tingle through my body. "Work with me here."

 

"Surprise me. You pick."

 

"Okay. Just one moment."

 

I bit my lip to keep me from smiling at this moment that felt so special. I was so geeked.

 

"Okay, you ready?" He'd shoved his phone back in his pants and his hands were back around my waist. The tunes of Spandau Ballet's True began playing and I smiled in appreciation, snuggling closer to him.

 

"I like this one! Good choice."

 

"Why thank you, me lady," he said into my hair and it was my turn to sigh exasperatedly.

 

"You need to work on your charming techniques. You're  like, so1800s."

 

I felt his smiling against my forehead as he wrapped his arms around my waist fully, drawing me closer. I giggled and put my hand over my mouth.

 

"Oh god! I giggled! I fucking giggled!"

 

He laughed, his chest shaking against my face. It was so comforting. "What's wrong with giggling?"

 

"It's so girly!"

 

"Well, I hope you're a girl."

 

I laughed and we danced, swaying lightly from left to right but not particularly paying attention to rhythm.

 

"Okay, the question game continues. What age did you have your first girlfriend? Am I asking too many questions?"

 

"Yes."

 

"I'm sorry."

 

"It's okay. I was 6."

 

"Really."

 

"It's honesty weekend, is it not?"

 

I smiled at his playfully offended tone.

 

"My first I guess kind of serious girlfriend, I was 16. I've had many unserious ones, and they started at 6."

 

"Early bloomer, you are."

 

"Yep. How old were you when you had your first boyfriend?" he asked.

 

"You'll think I'm a freak."

 

"I'd still like you, Your Freakiness."

 

"I was…twenty-four."

 

"I see."

 

When I tilted my head back to peer at him, he shrugged.

 

"What? Am I supposed to ask you why or what was wrong with you? Because I don't think anything is wrong with that. Now that I'm older I think those kids that didn't get into anything serous early were the smarter ones."


I eyed him skeptically, but was comfortable enough to wrap my arms around his neck. I'd always been so self-conscious about doing this, like I made the guy uncomfortable, but when I saw the excitement streaking through his eyes, I felt so good. I felt so..oh god don't god, don't hate me for this, but I felt…wanted. And pretty. And desired.  I hated that it was taking another guy to make me feel like this. I should have felt like this on my own but…in all good honesty, I didn't.

 

Just as I started to feel good though, like every other moment in my life, I began to feel self-conscious, but thankfully Henry cut into my thoughts.

 

"I mean, let's look at all the insanely successful people in the world. They were focused on being successful, not relationships."

 

"But successful at what cost? You have everything but at the same time you have nothing."

 

"I don't think Bill Gates thinks that right now. I think he's pretty content. Mark Zuckerberg seems to have everything. David Karp's doing pretty well for herself."

 

"Mark Zuckerberg, David Karp, and Bill Gates. Those are the worst examples you could use. I don't consider them human beings. Let's just say that some people just have it better than others--Ugh," I started bumping my head frustratingly against his chest. "Damn it. Damn it. Damn it."

 

"What?"

 

"Being Negative Nancy again. She's like my alter ego. I'm really trying to shake her, I swear."

 

"Alter ego. Huh? Is this the part where I run in the other direction?"

 

I tilted my head back to look at him, readjusting my fingers along his nape and enjoying the way his curls tickled my skin. "You know I was wondering when you were gonna come to your senses. Haven't I dropped enough hints? You should be on the other side of the beach right now."

 

"Hints about what?" he was looking at me again with that questioning glance. I began to notice that he drew his eyebrows together, causing a small crease in between his eyebrows. This expression of concentration made me feel like I was the only person in the world who mattered. Usually when the focus was on me, something negative normally came out of it. I began to get nervous and changed the subject, replacing my head on his chest.

 

"Did you go to college here or Britain?"

 

"You're so not good at smoothly changing the subject. I never went to college."

 

"Oh."

 

"So when will I see you again?"

 

The question made me pause.

 

"It takes you that long to come up with an excuse?"

 

"Yes, please give me a minute."

 

His smile widened and he shook his head, murmuring under his breath, "You're horrible."  

 

"I was going to go the, I have a boyfriend route but I just told you I don’t have one. Then I was going to say I'm focusing on my career but we both know that's bullshit. Then I was going to say I'm taking to someone when I usually just talk to the chair in the morning before work cause no one else is in the house."

 

"Maybe I don’t want to see you again..." he said jokingly in suspicion.

 

"Ah ha! Acting crazy worked. Wooo!!!"

 

"Do you want to see me again?" he asked and he was serious despite the warmth in his eyes, a warmth that was turning into a burning fire. I began to panic. What kind of player was this guy? I mean, how persistent could he be? We both knew I wasn't really his type. For all I knew he was trying to prove to Peter that he could get me, the most unbreakable woman on earth. I knew my thoughts would annoy most, but I felt a little bit offended, not happy that he'd want to see me again. Time and experienced proved to me that I just wasn't a catch worth keeping. I was the girl people wanted to test drive when it was dark outside and anything went cause everyone was drunk. He wouldn't even speak to me after the fact. He made me horny and yes I had my desperate moments but I wasn't that desperate.

 

"No. Just your dimples," I tried to make light of the situation, trying not to show my hurt. It's like he knew I was drifting away because he held on tighter.

 

"How will you see them again without me?"

 

My breathing was beginning to be labored. I was losing control. NO no no, he didn't want me for real. He was just…what was the reason that I couldn't see him again?

 

Whatever he was doing to me made me quickly go for his face to kiss the indentation on his cheek. I finally accepted that I was obsessed with his dimples which is what made me do something so spontaneous and out of character. Or maybe it was in my character, I just never felt like I was allowed to do something like that.  

 

He turned his head to kiss me but I moved my head and buried my face in his shoulder.

 

"Bollocks! You're too fast for me."

 

"Bollocks? You said bollocks! That's so cool."

 

"So impressing you with a word I rarely use but is still considered very British worked. Nice. I know what to do from now on."

 

I buried my face in his chest, "You're sneaky, or shall we say, cheeky. I like cheeky."

 

"Then cheeky it is."

 

We stood this way for a long time.Another song was playing from his phone right now. I closed my eyes and listened to the ocean waves.  It felt so perfect. 

 

"I don't feel like moving right now." He said into my hair, his voice quiet and slightly above a whisper.

 

"Me neither," I responded, my voice just as quiet. I think I was shaking a little bit. What the fuck was this? I was fucking shaking?! What a punk I was! But the feeling he was giving me was so strong.

 

"I think we just found our new favorite time of the day, don't you think?" he shifted as he got his phone and the music went off. "4:40 AM." He returned his phone back into his pants. As he spoke I could hear the smile in his voice and I damn near died on the spot.

 

He was really good.

 

I had to stay on my toes, although it was getting hard.

 

"Should we stay like this till we shrivel and die?" he asked and I pulled back to gape at him.

 

"That is so morbid. Is Negative Nancy rubbing off on you--"

 

His lips landed on mine gently and I froze. We both stayed this way until he gently plucked on my upper lip, and then my bottom lip, creating sweet quiet kissing sounds. While all this was happening, his fingers pressed firmly into the waist that I hated so much, but surprisingly didn't scare me off. Next he realigned his lips against mine, pressing them gently and pulled back soundlessly, pressing his forehead against mine

 

The kiss was very innocent and subtle and sweet but it had all the sirens inside my body. My heart was slamming against my rib cage and my fingers were clutching onto his white t-shirt, probably stretching it and ruining it.  

 

"I should thank Nancy. She just scored me a kiss with you," he murmured throatily. 

 

My mind drew a blank. He chuckled and rubbed his lips against the tip of my nose.

"No running away? Didn't I say anything's possible earlier?"

 

"Do it again," I said breathlessly before I came to my senses and he looked down at me in pleasant surprise.  "Hurry. Kiss me before I come to my senses."

 

He wasted no time. His lips were on mine they weren't cautious or mindful as they were before. His hands left my waist and cupped my face as he gently pried my lips apart with his tongue. The warm, wetness not only made me gasp and turned my legs into jelly, but it made my fingers urgently curl into his shirt. So urgent that I gently scratched his chest through the thin material. He seemed to like his, groaning low in his unusually deep voice and I sighed at the arousing tingle that gave me. As if that wasn't enough to drive me mad, he titled his head at the same time and successfully pierced through my lips and showed he still had some kind of mind not to be overbearing, and only gently rubbed the tip of his tongue against mine. I made an unintelligible sound which when I think about it later made me feel so weak but I was helpless, the sound came out of me without any control. He was so gentle yet so curious and it was all turning me on something so fierce, unlike anything I'd ever experienced, that I began to convulse even just a little.

 

Shocked by my reaction to him, I stiffened and took a drastic step back as I pushed him. He too, was breathing laboriously through now pouty, dewy lips. He looked to be in a daze, blinking incessantly while combing his hair out of his hair away from his forehead.

 

"G-Goodnight Henry." I stuttered as I grabbed my shoes. "Or--uh--g-g-goodmorning. Since it's uh, 4 something in the morning..."

 

"Valerie--" he touched me to stop me but I reacted like I'd been scolded and stumbled back.

 

"I'm not going to have sex with you or do you any favors. That's all this is, that's the only thing that makes sense it doesn't make sense for you to treat me like this I mean there were prettier girls at Chasers than me. That friend of yours Alexis was prettier and skinner than me and let's not act like you're not too fucking out of my league so what you're doing right now makes no sense and it's suspicious as hell. It was fun, you're an amazing kisser, and you're so fucking cute I mean, your style drives me crazy and your charm is off the meter and I wish I was a bonus points kind of girl so I could appreciate you but I'm just not built for it. Thank you. And goodnight."

 

I quickly turned  from his stunned expression and hurried away, the sounds of  towards Sea Burger where Peter and Ella were seated.

 

They were so into each other and whatever they were talking about, they only noticed me when I was a few feet away from them.

 

"I'm ready to go," I told Ella decisively. By the tone of my voice Ella knew it was a done deal.

 

"Come on, man?" I heard Peter behind me but didn't care. I continued down the board walk. 

 

I was standing by the car putting on my shoes when I realized I'd left my purse on the beach and cursed to myself because I had to go back and face him after that excruciatingly embarrassing, dramatic exit. Well, my license was something I couldn’t leave so I had to go back. Just as I turned to go back, hoping that Henry wouldn't be there, I saw Ella approaching me with a concerned expression. I sighed with relief when I saw my purse in her hand.

 

"You left your purse. Are you okay? Your face is red as fuck." She asked concernedly as she handed me my purse.

 

"Yeah. I'm just ready to go."

 

After a suspicious glance, she went to her side of the car. Soon we were peeling away from the parking lot and the feeling of relief I thought I would be feeling was not coming.

 

"What happened? He said you were really upset. You okay?"

 

"No. No. No." I gritted my teeth and growled frustratingly. "Fuck. What did I do?"

 

"What did you do?"

 

"You know what? He probably thinks I'm crazy which is good. That's good. He'll stay away for sure now."

 

"What happened?"

 

"Who am I kidding? I probably would have never seen him again anyway, just like that last guy."

 

"The guy from the bar like six months ago? Really Val? We need to find you a new therapist cause clearly Dr. Samson aint doing a good job."

 

"And even if I slept with him, that would be it. I like him too fucking much for that to be it."

 

"What happened???"

 

"I mean I would do the friends with bonus points thing if guys didn't just toss me after using me. You know the thing about me, guys don't even want to just be friends because they don’t want to be seen with me in broad daylight, so it's not like I could say, hey let's just be friends after fucking."

 

"WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?!"

 

"We kissed and I freaked out." I immediately cursed because that was not something I wanted Ella to know. 

 

"Oh my god Val! OH MY FUCKING GOD!!" she exclaimed and completely ignoring the part where I freaked out.

 

"Shut up. SHUT UP!" I buried my face in my hands when I remembered how fucking majestic the kiss was. 

 

"This is a huge deal!" Ella said excitedly.

 

"Nope." I tried desparately to erase the image of his eyes hair arms but was failing. 

 

"He is a dream," Ella went on. "And he's super rich! And he's young! He's just…ah he's perfect. I told you. Your prince!"

 

"The only Prince I ever refer to in life is one of my favorite singers and no, I know what his end game was and I didn't give it to him so he was mad."

 

"He was mad?"

 

"No! Not mad. Disappointed. No, I don't think he was disappointed. I think he thought I was crazy in the end. Anyway who cares. I wasn't going to sleep with him and I know that's what he wanted. That’s what all guys at the clubs want."

 

"You like him," she continued to ignore my words. This was a regular conversation between Ella and I. 

 

"No," I insisted. 

 

"You do. You only freak out like this when you really like a guy."

 

"No I don't."

 

"Yes you do. You act like you hate it but it's because you're panicking. And you're fucking going off the rails now. Yeah. You reaaaally like him like, whoa."

 

"Nope. I was drunk. He was…" When I remembered he hadn't touched his Pain Killer, I cursed to myself. He wasn't drunk. "He was…adventurous. It ends there. He was probably trying to prove something to Peter."

 

"I hope you gave him your number." She completely ignored my comment about Peter. 

 

"I didn't.Thank god."

 

"What?!" She muttered a string of curse words. "Did he give you his?"

 

"Nope. Not after I scared him off." I sighed with relief and just expended all my body weight on the passenger's seat. "Thank god."

 

Ella opened her mouth to speak but she was speechless. She glanced at me at a loss of what to say or do and looked back at the road.

 

"Ella, I love you, and I know you are excited over drive because no one has heard me complain about the plight of being the token unattractive friend in the group, and you're glad that someone of his…caliber would pay attention to someone like me, but you don't have to do this. I nipped an awkward situation in the bud quickly. Imagine the laughter or disgust on his friends' faces when he says he kissed someone like me," I shivered. "Don't hype the situation up. It didn't matter. It was just fun. I'm smarter this time--"

 

She hit the steering wheel with both palms before clutching onto it. "For fuck sake Val!"

 

"And no one is ever going to use me again," I continued, trying to convince myself that I did the right thing.

 

"Sometimes I wonder how it feels to be your own worst enemy," Ella, at her wits end, said. "But you know what, I wont do this. Not now. I had a great night. I wont raise my blood pressure. I will let you continue to live in your imaginary world of self-hate. But let me tell you something. You have let a fucking good catch go and I pray you regret this for the rest of your miserable life!"

 

I was surprised by all her ire but knew at the end of the day Ella just wanted me to be happy from what I'd been through. But I felt she should have understood my position since she'd known the battles I'd had all my life. The only reason most people didn't know is because I begged her not to share them with anyone. Her loyalty forced her to keep my secrets.

 

"If I wasn't so head over heels for Peter," she continued, seething. "I would be all over all that British goodness not wasting a damn second. Henry is a good guy. A gentleman--"

 

"He probably has friends with bonus points--"

 

"So does every other normal 25 year old and up Val get your head out of the fucking clouds for once! You're being so fucking annoying right now you know that!"

 

"I know I'm being annoying and sorry I'm not like every other normal 25 year old and up."

 

"Oh woe the fuck is me! You know what, you deal with that shit.  I'm not dealing with it today, Valerie."

 

It had been a long time since Ella referred to me by my full name. I knew I'd really upset her, but I was fairly upset myself. I was still wired up. I could still feel his lips on mine and his hands on my waist.

 

I felt beautiful then. But I felt disgusting now. And that made me feel sorry for him. 

 

"Thank you," I said to her as I folded my arms and lay my head against the window pane while looking out.

 

The rest of the car ride was silent. Not even the music was turned on. Yeah, she was pretty pissed.

 

I sighed and closed my eyes in regret and embarrassment over how I dragged not only Ella in the mud with me, but also Henry, a complete stranger.

 

Maybe this was why I was all alone. But I told myself I'd done the right thing. I'd saved myself before it was too late.

 

I knew I was being immature, but it's only because I was panicking.

 

Hasn’t fear been known to be a natural reaction to the unknown?

 

People fear things they don't understand. I couldn't understand what was happening to me.

 

I had never felt all the emotions swimming through me, and it wasn't the damn Pain Killers.

 

It was Henry.

 

And I didn't even know his last name. There's an honesty question I should have asked. 

 

I was just glad that I would probably never see him again. 

Chapter 4 by notheruniverse

 

 

Chapter 4

 

"You came in late again today. Don't you roll your eyes at me!"

 

I stared at the robust CEO crossing the plush carpet of the highest floor of Earldet building.

 

"Is that why you called me in here, dad?" I asked with the least bit of interest. This was not my week and I didn't want to hear him going off, even though admittedly, he had every right to.

 

I hadn't been on my game this week.

 

"It's Mr. Jones whenever you're in this building, don't forget that. And I am getting complaints about your work." He sat down, surprising me when he tore his eyes from the paperwork in front of him; albeit with great effort. Daddy was a workaholic. Work was his first love, though that wasn't abnormal for CEOs.

 

The critical look he gave me was normal. I'd received it most of my life whenever he did take time out of his busy schedule to look my way.

 

"I keep hearing that It's not up to par. Why do you not do your part? You're not even that great at it and you're slacking off. You should be busting your chops, I've heard enough about favoritism. Should I talk to Giles about hiring you at his company? You can't make it here by half assing, especially just because you're my daughter. The Massachusetts project was a group one and your part was integral yet you did next to nothing. Stacey had to pick up your slack. What was your excuse this time?"

 

I had no excuse. I wanted to tell him I'd been carrying the project and just slipped up closing it. My coworkers assured me they wouldn't have trouble completing the project without me. I was sure no one in my group tattled and that my father just had one of his little 'spies' making sure I was doing my job. He had a lot of those to make sure his business was constantly in tip top shape.

 

My father was owner of Earldet, a company that dealt with cloud services, offering software as a utility. It was his latest business venture; one of many. He was a revered software engineer and businessman who just wanted to keep pushing the envelope. I felt for him because the competition was fierce with all these start ups from young entrepreneurs that kept popping out of nowhere and inking billion dollar deals because they were hip to what people of our generation needed.

 

He was well passed retiring age. Money was not the issue for my father--he had lots.

 

He just had competitive blood.

 

Even though my father had made many contributions to the industry, he felt he hadn't done enough. He was never satisfied with himself and rarely satisfied with anyone else.

 

This was a very difficult company to work for and while I was pretty alright at my job, I knew if I wasn't his daughter I wouldn't have even gotten through the door. I knew I was lucky but that didn't stop me from being miserable. I just couldn't reconcile myself to completely accepting that I'd be working this job for the rest of my life.

 

I hated software development for the most part.

 

I'd grown to like some things about it but for the most part I was kind of over it. I had my days when I enjoyed it and this was just one of those days when I wasn't feeling it at all.

 

I slipped up a couple of times, but I'd never been an hour late for work. I was getting my ass handed to me for taking the privilege of being his daughter too far. Well, most people thought I was privileged but I knew different.

 

My father was hard on me. He felt even though the world had been hard on him, that didn't mean he was going to let his kids have an easy ride. Although it did seem like my younger sister ten years my junior was having it much easier than I did.

 

I wouldn't be surprised if he fired me today. Even though he hired me to work here, he didn't play favorites at all. If anything, he was harder on me than others.

 

"So do you have anything to say for yourself?" he was already looking back at his paperwork.

 

"Nope. I have nothing to say."

 

My father's incensed dark brown eyes that many said were identical to mine, flew up to me. I kept my expression blank. One thing I got from my father was stubbornness. Because we were alike in that way, we got into quite a few spats. 

 

I waited for him to say I was fired but he simply looked down at his work again and began to scribble.

 

"I'm cutting your salary."

 

"Like hell you are!" the spoiled brat in me came out and I bit my lip. My dad whipped his eyes up to me again.

 

"Excuse me young lady?" he rumbled. I could see his blood pressure rising.

 

"Now you look at me. You don't ever look at me. When's the last time you looked at me and said hey how's your day going? When I ask you how your day is going you act like I'm being such a nuisance."

 

Any time I tried to speak about anything other than software with my dad, he looked at me like I was crazy. Emotions did not compute with this guy.

 

"Are you really going to try talk emotions at 10 in the morning when I'm in the middle of a crisis?" he asked me in disbelief. My dad's version of a crisis could be a one dollar loss to the company. His need for professional perfection was overwhelming. It bled out into his personal life sometimes and those closest to him had to suffer for it.

 

He dismissed me quickly, refocused on his work once again. "Go home. I don't need your bad energy affecting your team and it's not like you're doing much anyway. If you don't shape up come Monday, you're outta here and will have to fend for yourself after that. Not like you know how to anyway."

 

I mentally slung a pack of curse words at him but give a brittle smile and said instead, "Thank you father dearest."

 

"And the next time you raise your voice at me or try to get smart with me, you'll be on the streets picking up cans quicker than your head can spin. Don't you give me that tone ever again. Do I make myself clear?"

 

I nearly stuck my tongue out at him just to be a pest but that damn 'good girl' that was trained into me as a child always became the victor. At the end of the day despite some of my rebellious ways, I still had respect for my parents.

 

"Yes sir," I mumbled grudgingly and left.

 

Three hours later I was sitting at home in my super mario pajamas pants and an oversized sweatshirt, playing video games on my xbox. My hair was in a messy pony tail and beside me was an empty bowl that previously held my low fat pop corn.

 

"Danny!!! You're going the wrong way!!" I said to my friend into the microphone of my headseat. Four of us were all playing an intense shooting game online.

 

The door opened and in came Ella.

 

"Hello," I greeted, not taking my eyes off the game.

 

"Hey."

 

Ella and I were only on diplomatic speaking terms. I'd tried to go back to talking to her like things were normal but her resistance showed me she wasn't ready for it. It had been a long time since I resorted to bratty behavior like I did over the past weekend, and usually Ella got over it quickly, but this time Ella's reaction was different. She went into her room without saying another word and I frowned to myself.

 

This is what I got for being the negative party pooper that ran everyone into the mud. I'd asked for it, so feeling regret and mopping around would be stupid at this point.

 

As I sipped on my green tea, my phone rang. I smiled with glee when I saw that it was Josephine, my other good friend besides Ella. Those were the only two I could completely be free with.  She was a tall, slender, woman with shoulder length black hair and the prettiest, smoothest dark brown skin ever. She was now an ambitious lawyer trying to work her way up the ranks and usually had no time for anything so I was surprised she had time to call.

 

"Jose!!" I answered. Ella and I met Josephine at one of our college functions. Though three years older than us, she was amazing. She stood up for me many times when I had problems and basically took care of Ella and I when we were some wet behind the ears freshmen. We kept in contact with her even when we graduated because the bond among us three was so strong I was sure nothing could ever break it.

 

"Hello my dear. What's up?" she asled then suddenly began talking to someone else. "John? I need that paperwork now. You guys need to hurry up, pick up the pace. Sorry Val I thought I had a bit of a break but these interns are not doing what they're supposed to."

 

"It's fine. How are you?"

 

"Good! Busy as ever. You?"

 

"Same. Chillin'."

 

"Are you at work?"

 

"I'm at home. In my pjs. Playing video games."

 

"You and those videogames! You are about to be 27!"

 

"Apparently I don’t have this growing up thing down pat."

 

"Yeah, about this guy that you turned down?"

 

I groaned, letting my head fall on the back of the couch. "She told you didn't she?"

 

"Yes I did."

 

I jumped at the sound of Ella's voice. "Ella?! You're on the line?"

 

"I called her and she called you for a threeway," Ella explained. "She needs to cuss you out for me."

 

"And Jose here I thought you were calling cause you loved me," I said dryly.

 

"Oh hush. Now who is this British god that you apparently said no to?"

 

"He's a music producer Josephine and he's rich. Like filthy fucking rich," Ella answered before I could.

 

"A music producer, huh? You don’t run into those pretty often at Tilden. How old is he to be so rich?"

 

"27," Ella answered again. I realized then that I wouldn’t need to say much in this conversation.

 

"Ah, does he fly a helicopter too?" I could hear the smile in Josephine's voice. 

 

"No but I wouldn't be surprised if he had one," Ella said.

 

"Do we have a Christian Grey in the works?" she was grinning now I could tell.

 

"Oh god," I murmured, dropping my face in my palm.

 

"All I'm saying is she had absolutely no reason to say no this time. Like, absolutely none. Then the next time we're with our boyfriends she's going to start going on and on about how she doesn't have one. She'd been a bitch to him from the start and for some reason he just kept pursuing her," Ella explained.

 

"Thanks for the bitch compliment…" I murmured.

 

"Val why do you do this?" Josephine asked.

 

"She says he just wanted her for sex," Ella said and Josephine laughed. Ella did too. I sat there with a heated face feeling like a foolish little child that had made a mountain out of a mole hill.

 

"No shit? A straight man meets a woman at a club and wants to have sex with her cause he's attracted to her. Where they do that at, huh?" Josephine suddenly started yelling. "John?! This is not what I asked for! Just shut the door behind you." She calmed again. "I'm sorry guys. What were we saying?"

 

"It makes her feel cheap when guys are sexually attracted to her," Ella explained. "Oh but you just hear her how she talks about men as sexual objects. Yep. Valerie is the only one allowed to fantasize about sexing guys, but let a guy tell her he thinks she's sexy, it's either death stare or run for the hills time." 

 

I sighed, knowing that defending myself at this point would be pointless. Saying that I wasn't attractive didn't seem a good enough excuse anymore.

 

"Okay, I only have a few minutes." Josephine began, taking on her maternal role in the group. "Most men want sex. That's just how they're programmed. It doesn't make them bad people. You just have to weed out the notorious ones. Many women want sex too, and Val I know with all the cobwebs building down there you want sex too, don't lie. I saw the porn websites you visited in your history the last time I was there when you thought no one was looking."

 

"What the--you?!"

 

"It's normal," she continued. "Now get off your sympathetic ass and go hop on some nice British dick and then come back to us with a dick report."

 

"Oh my god sex isn't everything for crying out loud!" I exclaimed.

 

"Yeah but it's something," Ella said. "I don't know why she sees it as such an ugly thing. Society has made you believe as a woman that it's wrong to enjoy sex and it's also made you think that's all men want. Sure, some of the stereotypes are true, but it's not all true. And what's wrong with you and Henry having sexual attraction towards one another? Why am I even bothering when you're going through your 'I'm not good enough' stage."

 

"Yeah this is where I hang up." Josephine said impatiently. "I have no time for that. Get over it and hop on that dick. Okay, I have to go. This intern really fucked up. I love you guys and I will be there in a few weeks. Smooches."

 

She hang up, leaving Ella and I on the phone.

 

"Listen, Ella--"

 

"Nope. Don't talk to me. I only talk to you through third parties now." She hang up on me and I sighed.

 

I tried to focus on the game, but I couldn't. The week had been hellish for me and I hated for Ella to be mad. Sucking up my pride, I got up and went to Ella's door, which was thankfully open. She was walking around her room and looked to be getting ready to go out. I already expected to have a lonely weekend, but that didn't mean I liked it.

 

"Hey," I began tentatively.

 

"I think I hear the feel sorry for me marching band in my room but I will ignore it. I don't have time. I'm going out."

 

I frowned but took it like a champ and just nodded.

 

"What have you been up to?" She asked. despite the grudge in her tone, I could hear the concern. I smiled lightly and walked in to sit cross legged on her queen sized bed.

 

"I've been alright. Just trying to focus on work." I was reminded of getting kicked out of work today but didn't bother mentioning another fail in addition to the many I'd had since that fateful weekend.

 

"What about you?" I asked.

 

"I'm good. Going to Margaret's for her pool party."

 

"Oh."

 

I knew she was coming around when she asked my opinion on a couple of bathing suits that she wanted to wear. I realized then how I'd normally get depressed and insecure, wailing over how lucky she was for her thin yet curvy figure that could pull off any attire. Even my therapist reminded me when I saw her earlier that week that nobody wanted to be around a sourpuss all the time when I recounted that weekend's events. I forced myself not to make the situation about my insecurities and helped her pick the best choice. Ella didn't deserve my grievances. No one did. Even as I knew this, sometimes the worst got the best of me because of all the taunting I'd received over the years.

 

Ella must have noticed my attempts at being more positive than usual and surprised me when she invited me. "Please come. I know she sent you a text about it."

 

"I already told her I have plans."

 

"Nice cause I told her you'd probably say that but you'd be lying so she knows you have no plans," She said while putting a folding towel into her bag.

 

"Damn it Ella! No wonder she's sounding pissed in her texts."

 

"Come on, get ready."

 

When I said nothing, she sighed heavily, her shoulders sagging and a genuine frown on her face.

 

"I'm trying Valerie. I'm fucking trying even though I really don't want you to come, you know why? Because you're just going to ruin the whole fucking thing with your problems like no one else there has problems."

 

I knew my cousin was worn out with my sensitivity. She'd dealt with it for so long. She remembered the taunts. She knew why I was this way which was why I'd gotten her sympathy and enabling so long. I guess a person could only take so much.

 

"You were doing so great. You became fun like how I know you are and then, look okay I'm not mad at you about the Henry thing. I just was frustrated because I know how unhappy you've been. I know that George still bothers you--"

 

My entire body tensed at the name. "Please don't mention--"

 

"Just hear me out."

 

I clamped my mouth shut and lowered my head. 'George' was still a very heavy subject. It was something I'd chosen to speak about because it still hurt so much.

 

She came and sat down next to me.

 

"I know that that's part of why you're so afraid of trusting someone else, okay? Henry was a nice guy but you weren't ready and that's okay, but would you stop mopping around? We're family and I hate seeing you like this. Please."

 

I looked up at her pleading expression and decided to go ahead and give in. "Okay. I'll go and I'll try to make the best out of it. Thanks for asking even though I know you could use some more time without me."

 

"And don't just say this and do the same thing again Valerie. No one wants to be around that. I understand why you think the way you do, but could you at least try?"

 

"Yeah. Stop, I'm not a baby. I know I been acting like one but I'll try to be better." 

 

She grinned the happiest grin I'd seen all week.

 

Two hours later, we were pulling into the driveway of Margaret's modest, yet very welcoming beach house. It was a boxy white house with palm trees and many large blue tinted windows. I got excited whenever we visited her with hopes of getting one of these bad boys myself when I'd saved up enough.

 

The wide windows showed quite a few people there already.

 

"So, anyone we know going to be here?" I asked while unclasping my seat belt.

 

"Henry went back to Britain a long time ago. Don't you worry." She gave me a cool smile.

 

"Oh. Cool. Great. I don’t have to face embarrassment again ever," I said as we both got out.

 

While we walked up the pathway, I caught a vague glimpse of myself in the mirror. I wore jeans and a tucked in oversized light blue denim shirt. It was casual but cute enough for hanging out I supposed. I wasn't looking to impress anyone really but more focused on trying to have as good of a time that I could with Ella and some friends.

 

When we stepped inside, we said hello to some people we knew. 

 

"Look who showed up," Margaret said, giving me an exasperated look as she opened up for a hug.

 

"I did have plans. I wanted an isolated weekend, so I wasn't lying," I told her as I hugged her.

 

"Well I'm glad you came! I was about to get mad at you!" Margaret said and I smiled as she pulled me in a side hug and walked around with me, introducing me to other people.

 

I felt very happy and spoiled when some familiar faces were very happy to see me since I usually didn't go for these things, opting to play video games at home instead. It showed me how I always over thought things and expected for the worst. I was feeling pretty good about being there until I heard loud laughter from the other end of the room and saw a bright orange beanie. I'd seen it through the window briefly wondering who was wearing such a bright color.

 

Under the beanie were some dark brown curls. My heart skipped a beat when I heard a deep, male, British voice that stood out among all the voices in the room, as the guy in the orange beanie continued on the joke amongst the guys. He had on a light grey shirt, with the short sleeves rolled up at the hems and dark blue jeans. A guy standing next to him shoved him playfully while he bowled over laughing and the orange beanie guy's shoulders hiked while he held out his arms blamelessly. The tattooed, slim yet muscular arms I distinctly remembered gawking at when Ella threw the volleyball at my head.

 

It was Henry.

 

My heart shot up to my throat and my legs went weak. I told myself to chill. Maybe it wasn't him.

 

"So, you know the part where I said Henry went back to Britain?" Ella asked while waving at Peter from their group. Peter's reciprocating wave made all the other guys in the group turn around. If I was quick enough, I'd be behind Ella right now, but I wasn't.

 

Henry turned around, holding a plastic cup in his hand. His eyes locked with me and his smile faltered for a second, but he surprised me when he quickly recovered, smiling kindly and waving at both Ella and I.My legs nearly gave. I never knew a man wearing a beanie could be so sexy until I saw him.

 

Damn.

 

"How could you not tell I was lying?" Ella asked as she waved back enthusiastically. I only managed a weak smile and a wave just as weak.

 

He looked so good.

 

He sipped his drink, and then continued his conversation with the guys as Peter approached us.

 

He hugged us both and when he pulled back from me, he grinned down at me. "I'm surprised you came out. I'm glad you did actually."

 

The face I made at him made him laugh.

 

"Right…" I muttered suspiciously.

 

"No really. I know I give you a hard time but, I want you to be happy."

 

I lifted an eyebrow. "What's with this change of heart? I thought you hated me?"

 

He slung an arm over my shoulder and drew me close. "Valerie I don't hate you. I can't stand your negativity sometimes but not hate."

 

I decided to take what Peter was saying in stride and just let bygones be bygones. My behavior last time was a testament to how negative I could be so I let it go. We talked for a while before Peter ventured off to meet some people he knew.

 

We mingled with a few people then it was just me and Ella again, though it was hard to keep the guys from swarming to her--she was so pretty they didn't even care that Peter was hers. When they gave us a break and it was just us two, I was talking to her when I heard a deep voice from behind.

 

"Hey ladies."

 

I turned and there Henry was, holding his cup of some copper beverage.

 

"Henry!!!" Ella sprung out to hug him.

 

"Ella!!! You look amazing," he said as they pulled back.

 

"You do too. Your beanie is so cute!!!" she exclaimed as she touched it. At that moment a good friend of Ella's pulled her aside and I cursed inwardly cause this left Henry and I alone.

 

 He smiled as he looked to me, catching me off guard with the sweetness of his smile

 

"Valerie. Hey."

 

My mouth went dry and I suddenly found it hard to speak when I looked at those lips that had kissed me.

 

"Hen…" my voice tapered off at the worst moment. Looking at him left me dumbly speechless.

 

"It's Henry."

 

I felt like a bucket of water got splashed on my face and stared at him feeling humiliated and stupid. "I…"

 

He quickly assessed my body. "You look nice. Are you going for a swim with the rest of them?"

 

"I'm not much of a swimmer. Are you going to swim?" I silently hoped so because I wanted to see him shirtless.

 

"Probably not. They asked me to D--"

 

"Hey Henry, they're waiting for you outside, come on!" The stranger looked my way. "Have I met you before? You look so familiar?"

 

The chestnut haired, shoulder length, slender girl with bright blue eyes had approached us. The first thing I did out of habit was judge her body. She was skinny, wearing only a bikini top and shorts, with obviously nothing to hide or be ashamed of. Her pencil thin waist made me glad that I wore a concealing outfit. I felt a tightness of jealousy and envy inside.

 

"I don't think we've met," I said to her with a smile that I hope didn't look as forced as it felt. She held out her hand to me.

 

"Oh, well hey! I'm Savannah."

 

"Hi Savannah…" I shook her hand, wishing I'd poof into thin air. Women as skinny as her made me feel so insecure.

 

"And you are…" Henry supplied to me with an impatient gesture of his hand.

 

"Oh! I'm Valerie. Nice to meet you."

 

"Nice to meet you too. This is random but your freckles are so freaking cute!" she told me, surprising me. I thought I'd hidden them effectively with my make up.

 

"Don't compliment her. You might get your head bitten off."

 

I looked at Henry in surprise over his comments while Savannah laughed.

 

"I'm sorry. I'm just kidding. If you remember I'm not good at telling jokes," he said to me.

 

"He's really not. He's horrible," Savannah told me then grabbed Henry's hand.

 

"Come on Mr. DJ, let's go."

 

"Good to see you again," he said, holding up his drink up to me in a farewell as Savannah dragged him away. He suddenly stopped, looking at me concernedly while wresting his hand from Savannah, who didn't look too pleased about that. "Oh wait I'm so rude. Can I offer you something to drink?"

 

I was beginning to learn that Henry's manners were ingrained in him so much he couldn't help himself. It made me smile despite the awkward situation.

 

"Oh no I'm fine. Good to see you too." I smiled and after nodding, Henry pocketed his free hand this time. If that was a sign for Savannah, she missed it because she linked her arm with his as they left.

 

Watching them walk away, I realized they made more sense together. She looked like his type.

 

I soon felt a consoling rub on my back, then a side hug.

 

"Its okay. There's other fish in the sea." Ella was back at my side, now with a drink in hand.

 

I knew she was talking about Henry and I didn't want to show how disappointed I was feeling. I just smiled and nodded."Yeah."

 

"Actually no. I think he would be the best thing you'll never have. Sorry, you're not going to do better than him." She spotted someone she recognized and waved erratically. "Oh! Cheryl!! Aw your hair!"

 

"Thank you for your honesty, El," I said to myself, then decided to mingle with some people. Eventually we migrated outside where the real fun was starting to happen. There were tents around the pool, and nightlights surrounding the pool as well. The pool itself had floating lamp spheres which made it all the more beautiful. The setting sun added to the beauty with a variety of warm colors hitting everything.

 

It felt great too outdoors not being too hot or too cold. It was a perfect night.

 

Small cheering forced my eyes away from the people playing in the pool. I glanced at the small group that congregated around a double deck where Henry stood with huge headphones looped around his neck. In front of him were double turntables. So he was going to be our DJ for the night. The women that surrounded him started impatiently shouting requests at him.

 

Trying my best to ignore the table of food, I sat under one of the tents. I tried to focus on the entire get together because I loved these kinds of things, but my eyes kept floating back to Henry.

 

He took the mic and spoke into it, "How are you all doing tonight?"

 

His voice was gravelly and loud, catching everyone's attention. It sent a shiver down my spine. The response from the crowd was loud due to the good turn out. I couldn't stop the smile on my face. He looked to be in total command of what he was doing and completely fearless. It made me crave for him more, and the strength of the craving surprised me. 

 

"Are you ready to have a good time?" he asked with boyish charm lighting his eyes and everyone cheered once again in response.

 

Setting his mic aside, Henry put his headphones on and the heavy bass filled the party once he began playing the music.

 

It was pure entertainment for the next two hours. His choice of music stuck out to me and surprised me. He played almost every kind of music from different eras and managed to make it all blend together smoothly. Everyone was either dancing around the pool or in the pool and those who couldn't dance bobbed their heads appreciatively.

 

I was too mesmerized by him as I watched him work. There was something very sexy about this really nice guy playing some very sexy and feel good songs. It was no surprise that he had a good ear for music, but I was surprised he didn't play any of his songs, which were pretty good.

 

After finding out his full name from Peter, Henry Walker, it wasn't hard for me to find out his discography from the internet. He was a much bigger deal than I thought, especially to be so young. Him owning a home in the Bahamas made more sense now. Very little was about him on the internet though. He seemed to have a tight lid on his personal life, but that wasn't uncommon for most people behind the scenes since the focus wasn't normally on them unless they were attention whores and Henry didn't strike me as one.

 

Eventually the women begging him to play a song he produced got so much he could no longer ignore them. When he played the song, the entire party went crazy not just because the creator of the music was here, but it was also just a good song by a very popular artist at the time, and this reaction came about whenever it was played at clubs and the like. It was a song that had been in heavy rotation over the past few months. I found myself being very proud of him even if I didn't know him that well.

 

I think I just really liked the fact that someone so humble, with no ego whatsoever, encased so much talent and was still a gentleman who treated everyone equally. At least from what I'd seen. All kinds of women had gone up to him to make requests and Henry never picked a favorite. It's no wonder women fell for him so easily.

 

I continued to watch him admiringly throughout the party, even as I mingled with others but it was hard to take my eyes off of him. While interacting with others, I realized I wasn't the only woman checking him out. Many women had their eye on the 'nice', cute, yet quietly sexy British guy, which made me think my thoughts last weekend were justifiable. There were so many women there who I believed were a thousand times better looking than me, and I couldn't stop the thought no matter how hard I tried.

 

The party ended with everyone in high spirits. Because it had began so early it didn't go into the wee hours of the morning. It was around 11:00 when the beach house began to empty. Most folks were heading home and others decided to go downtown to party more. I still wasn't sure what I wanted to do, but the beach house was a mess, so I took initiative and started to clean up around the pool while deciding what I was in the mood for. There was a big chance I'd be going home.

 

I sneaked glances at Henry, who was trying to politely respond to three women hovering him and speaking while he tried to clean up the djing area.

 

My admiration of him heightened after watching him at work, but I told myself to just leave him be after how I'd messed up last time.

 

I ended up cleaning up much more than I expected and carried three hefty bags of trash to the kitchen with great effort. As I placed them in a corner of the kitchen, I heard a bunch of ladies giggling and chattering. I turned to find Henry following the three women in with his eqiupment in tow. They walked right through the kitchen and Henry briefly locked eyes with me. I smiled and looked away quickly, returning to focusing on cleaning the kitchen now.

 

People had left it in a mess.

 

"Stop, stop stop," I heard moments later when I was bent over picking up beer bottles. The bottle was pilfered from my grasp and as I stood straight I saw Henry taking it.

 

"What?"

 

"You've been picking up bottles for the last thirty minutes like a homeless person. Let me take it from here." He took my trash bag, dumping the beer bottle in it.

 

"I'm basically done. I was going to start on the dish--"

 

"Sorry. Mother always taught me never let a woman strain herself. I got it. And no, that wasn't a sexist comment. I know you're capable but you've done enough. I'll take it from here."

 

I smiled at the mention of his mother. He was clearly a mama's boy.

 

"Samantha, right?" I asked as I  walked up to the black counter connected to the bar. For some reason I was glad it was just the two of us in this messy kitchen and I wanted to stretch the moment as long as possible, so I perched myself on the counter and watched him work. I didn't mind at all. Watching him use his arms was exciting.

 

"Yeah. I'm surprised you remember. You were so drunk that night," he said with an implicating grin.

 

"I was not so drunk." I looked around guiltily and he laughed, continuing to pick up the trash.

 

"So how have you been?" I asked when it got silent.

 

"I've been fine, thank you for asking. How about you?"

 

"Oh, I'm great."

 

"You really are."

 

"Huh?"

 

"You really are great." He looked up at me. "Well, only when you allow people visitation rights into your world. What are your business hours?"

 

I blinked at him dumbly as my cheeks heated. He smiled while piling the trash bag with the rest.

 

"I'm just being an insensitive git," he said with an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry."

 

"A what?"

 

"A jerk."

 

"Oh."

 

He walked to the island counter where the sink was and began washing the dishes I'd heaped there.This was something I just hadn't expected to see him do. It's not like he hadn't worked hard already, djing and all, but I knew if I fought him now to clean, it would look like I was being difficult again, so I let him be. I knew he must have been exhausted but he didn't look like he minded. I also heard that he did the djing as a favor and didn't want to be paid at all. How that made me swoon, I'm not even sure.

 

I found him helping clean up to be incredibly cute and rare. I grew up with a housewife of a mom and a father who I rarely saw doing stuff in the house. In fact, my happiest memories with my father were when he was helping me build my playhouse for a weird yet fun neighborhood summer contest. This was before he got obsessed with working again. Even though he just wanted me to win, it was nice to see him doing something around the house. I wasn't used to seeing men in such domestic situations and seeing Henry cleaning up, not putting himself above it, made me really respect him.

 

It made me think of all that I'd researched online about him and I couldn't help myself.

 

"Temptation is a pop classic."

 

He looked at me for a short moment and back at washing the dishes.

 

"I've heard your songs on the radio and I didn't even know you were the one who made those songs," I continued.

 

"Really," he said.

 

"I actually bought some of them too. Before I even met you. She Cares was in my ipod, fully and legally paid for. 1.99 from Itunes." My toothy grin was like that of a proud kid that did their homework.

 

This made him smile more even as he focused on washing the dishes. I knew we'd broken some ice when he said, "Why thank you. I'm sure it helped me pay for that piece of gum that one day."

 

I laughed, once again loving his sense of humor.

 

"You're really actually a big deal in the current state of music. Your career is impressive."

 

He smiled silently, then shrugged, "It's alright."

 

"Why do you always get like this about your career?"

 

"Why do you always get like that about yourself?"

 

So long for breaking the ice.

 

My mouth opened but I was mute. I could only smile with chagrin and lower my eyes. "I guess. I deserved that."

 

"No. You didn't. I'm sorry."

 

The silence that followed forced me to speak what was niggling the back of my mind.

 

"Your girlfriend is cute."

 

"Could've just asked if she was actually my girlfriend," he said with a knowing smile.

 

"Is she?" at that point there was no trying to hide how jealous I was. And I'd only met the guy once. Ugh.

 

"Why does it matter?" even though he asked the question without an attitude, it made me pause nonetheless.

 

I frowned and downcast my eyes, "I'm sorry."

 

He sighed ruefully. "No, I'm sorry. All these backhanded comments I'm making, that's not me. Believe me, I'm not a spiteful person at all. I just really felt like..." he seemed to be struggling to find the words. "I really fancied you, Valerie."

 

I shyly glanced up at him to find that he was staring at me earnestly. I blushed.

 

"Did you not feel like it was all happening faster than the speed of light though?" I asked.

 

"What did?"

 

I made a helpless motion with my hands. "This…our…"

 

"Connection?" he asked, his green eyes piercing. I gulped hard.

 

"I've never…" my voice tapered off.

 

"Me too," he said and I was surprised he knew where I was coming from without having to articulate all of it.

 

I looked back down at my hands.

 

"Do you always react like you did on the beach when someone tries to court you? Did you react the same way when you were asked out to prom?" he asked and I shook my head with a bitter smile.

 

"I was never really truly asked to prom."

 

"Somehow, I find that hard to believe."

 

"Trust me, it's not. If you knew me back then..." My voice trailed off and when he regarded me curiously, I recoiled and shrugged helplessly.

 

"You speak in parables," he murmured as he continued to do the dishes.

 

"Huh?"

 

"I feel like I'm in a suspense movie with you. You just give me bits and pieces. You don't tell me the whole story."

 

When I said nothing because I was at a loss for words, he glanced up at me.

 

"I'm not a bits and pieces kind of guy, Valerie. It's all or nothing with me."

 

My heart leaped and I looked down, clutching onto the edge of the counter. I didn't know what to say, but his words shook me.

 

He continued to wash the dishes as he went on. "That was just general information. I know we just met so, I don’t expect you to give me everything. Just it peeves me when people start something they can't finish." 

 

I guess for some reason I didn't want to be one of those people he thought to be unreliable enough not to finish what the start. So the floodgates of my mouth suddenly opened.

 

"This guy that I had the biggest crush on, he was the biggest crush I'd ever had, and he knew I liked him, well he asked me to prom. I got ready and excited cause it was the first time a guy wanted to do anything with me publicly but then he never showed up to the house to pick me up at 7:30 like he promised he would and when I went up to him the following Monday to ask him what happened, he asked if I really thought he would ever be caught dead around me. Then him and his friends laughed and one of them made a comment about the letter I gave him earlier that semester saying that I liked him."

 

Midway through what I was saying, Henry paused from washing the dishes to look at me intently. I suddenly realized what I'd done and what I'd said. I knew what was coming was a 'why? what was wrong with you? why wouldn't he want to be seen around you? why did his friends laugh at your letter?' I didn't want to get into all of that. Plus, it was highschool. I didn't want him to think I was some weirdo that was still affected by the trials of highschool.

 

 

"But, you know, we were just kids," I said with a forced laugh. "You know how kids play around." I broke eye contact when I saw that he wasn't laughing with me.

 

"No he was just being an inconsiderate fucktard." Henry said, looking rather bothered. I didn't really know what to say. I was confused as to why he wasn't automatically trying to find some fault with me over why the guy would treat me like that.

 

"He never even told you he wasn't coming? He didn't even call?" his eyebrows were drawn together in the way I found incredibly sexy and his eyes were so penetrating I nearly forgot to speak for a second.

 

"No but it's fine I had fun at home anyway." I remembered playing with my little 7 year old sister, babysitting her and urging my mother to go on a girl's night out instead of sitting home engorging a tab of ice-cream with me.

 

He looked very miffed and his reaction was making me nervous cause I'd never really experienced it, especially from a guy. I normally got strange or 'well….' stares, but I knew the difference between telling others and Henry was cause I hadn't told him everything about me. I tried to change the subject before he asked more questions that would lead me down a darker path of my past. I didn't want to bog him down with my issues yet at the same time I wanted him to understand.

 

"Are you still mad at me for last time? I'm really sorry."

 

He eyed me silenlty, his eyes saying the conversation was not over, but I was lucky when he went along with the subject change, continuing to wash. "No. You had quite a few to drink and you're right, it's the first time we met. I guess I just really enjoyed myself and wanted more of that." He looked at me briefly before continuing on. I heard what he was saying but it was just hard to compute. My stubbornness only allowed me to see that men were incapable of just wanting to pursue an emotional connection.

 

"And did I want to have sex with you?" He went on. "Of course. It's only natural because I find you physically attractive." He looked up at me and I shifted nervously, looking away. "But just because I do, or did, doesn't mean I'm objectifying you or think that's all you have to offer. You're a good conversationalist. If all you wanted to do was talk for the rest of your life, I'd be okay with just that."

 

Stubbornness aside, I had to quit doing this.  I remembered how annoyed Ella got with me when we were driving back home.

 

"I'm sorry for assuming the worst. It's a real problem of mine and I'm working on it."

 

"It's okay. We all do it sometimes. "

 

I really appreciated that he was nice and comforting even when he didn't have to be. I fought off the negative thought that was soon following when I branded him 'nice'. He was now wiping down the island counter top, wearing the focused look once again that made me subconsciously cross my legs when I felt a delicious ache. I finally accepted that his 'concentration' look would always do something to me. He had nice broad shoulders and those arms…

 

He lifted his gaze and I jumped like a fool, glancing away. How fucking great, huh? When I finally gained the courage to look at him again, he was focused on cleaning the counter, but now there was a smirk on his face. I silently cursed him.

 

The silence began to get too loud, only making me feel more awkward.

 

"So how do you come up with all those melodies? I'm still in shock over the songs you've produced. You're actually a big time song writer too, right? In fact I think you write more than you produce."

 

Henry simply looked at me with a small smile on his face and I trembled inside. As opposed to his sweet smile, there was something in his eyes though that made my toes tingle. Something hibernating. Something slightly devilish and mischievous. I'd seen it when we were seated across from each other at Seaburger.

 

He said nothing and washed his hands in the sink when he was done.

 

"I think out of most of the popular ones you've done, Timeline was my favorite. You've actually won so many awards and uh…" My voice tapered off because Henry started to look at my lips with deep concentration, his brows knotting, all as he dried his hands with the kitchen towel. He rounded the counter and started making his way over to me slowly, still drying his hands. His eyes were still on my lips as he suddenly rubbed his plump bottom lip with an inscrutable look on his face.

 

My heart rate spiked and my palms became sweaty.

 

"Uh…a-and I liked the one you did with that artist Bridget. What was it like working with he--"

 

"Give me your lips."

 

I was caught off guard and didn't know what to say. He wasn't giving me much room to decide anyway, he kept on walking to me, making me anxious and…excited.

 

"Huh?" I laughed nervously and hopped off the counter when he got close and tossed the towel on the counter beside me. "Uh--wait, we were talking about your musi--"

 

He grabbed the sides of my stomach and let out a straining grunt as he lifted me the short distance to sit be back on the counter. The movement was so sudden and swift my thighs slapped against the marble. As I reeled in shock over the fact that he had all that strength in him to carry me, he cupped my face and kissed me before I could do anything else. I froze. This time he didn't wait for me to acclimate myself to the kiss. He slipped his warm tongue in between my lips, groaning deeply as he caressed my tongue with his.

 

I felt myself dizzying. He kissed me with so much passion; so much want. Just as the thought crossed my mind, I began to feel confused and a little bit panicked. Those monsters that hibernated deep in my soul crawled their way out and began to mar this good feeling he was giving me. I was paralyzed though and didn't do anything about it. I just sat there and let him have his way.

 

I had only kissed two other people in my life, so I wasn't an expert. I didn't have much time to think about what to do or how to do it because he was taking me by storm. I realized that he was working to get a reaction out of me when he tilted my head further back and began slowly thrusting his tongue in and out of my mouth.

 

My fingers clung tightly, crackling around the edge of the counter as a billion sensations went through me. My nipples were aching having tightened and I felt a delicious twinge between my legs.

 

Fuck.

 

"Henry the girl you came with--" I managed to come up for air only a second.

 

"Shhhh."

 

He reclaimed my lips and I got lost in the kiss again. Wasn't he worried that someone would come and see him?

 

I didn’t know what to say and Henry chose then to continue kissing me like his life depended on it. I was so gone, far, far away. His hands circled my neck, the smoothed over my shoulder and arms. When they ran down my hips, I froze. I didn't like my thighs, but the effect Henry had on me didn't give me time to worry about my imperfections.

 

"Hmm," he kissed me then titled his head to the other side and kissed me again. "It seems like," He kissed me again. "I can't seem to get enough of these lips."

He trapped my bottom lip in his teeth and began sucking it off lightly before claiming both my lips and sliding his tongue into me again.

 

I moaned and fell right into the kiss.

 

I couldn't fight this guy.

 

"Mm," He  moaned as he pulled me closer to him and left his hands on my thighs, massaging them. "So good."

 

I was a shaking, blushing mess. "I-I'm sorry I don't have much experie--"

 

"Shhh." He continued to kiss me gently and unhurriedly.

 

I was shuttering inside but somehow managed to lift my hands because the need to touch him became very strong. My hands were clamped around his hard arms, which flexed as he ran them up and down my thighs, stopping for an occasional squeeze. I shivered. Without warning when squeezing the side of my thighs, he yanked me closer to him until his groin was rubbing the sensitive area between my thighs. I felt his hardness against me.

 

I hated to use the term melted, but that's what I did.

 

Henry moaned iwhen I started kissing him back, my staple hesitation surprisingly abating from me. I got so bold that my hands trailed up to his biceps, then his broad, strong shoulders. I squeezed the firmness and sighed while kissing him. My hands then travelled to his strong neck, and then his angular jaw. I got wetter just from touching him.

 

My fingers soon traveled to his locks. They were an interesting contrast to his hard body; soft and lush against my fingers. They felt softer than they appeared, if that made sense. I unthinkingly removed his beanie, letting it fall to the floor, when the need to feel more of him became stronger. Now with his head in my hands, I pushed him closer so that we could kiss each other deeper.

 

This being a clear sign that I'd let one wall down for him, Henry wrapped his muscular arms around me, the action causing our chests to press firmly against one another. I could have fainted from how turned on and excited he made me. his scent, the feeling of him, the taste of his mouth, it was all so perfect.

 

"Umm…uh Henry? Henry?"

 

I jumped away from Henry but he kept trying to kiss me. When I angled furtherback, he finally stopped, breathing heavily as he looked down at me. I turned to the source of sound to find Savannah watching us in something between shock and annoyance.

 

"I'm sorry to interrupt Henry but you're my ride and I really have to go," she murmured monotonously, trying her best not to show her irritation but failing miserably. She was beginning to frown too.

 

Henry stared dumbly at her as if he couldn't understand the language she was speaking. All the while his arms never eased their strong hold around my waist. I sat there trying to ease him off me but he wouldn't give, as if afraid that .

 

Finally her words dawned on him and he nodded and looked at me once again. I was about to try climbing the nearby cabinet to get away from him. He wouldn't let go! Couldn't he take a clue?! She was obviously pissed and he was still holding on!

 

When she didn't leave, Henry turned to her and forced a sweet smile. "I'll be right there Savannah. I need a minute.

 

 

She seemed taken aback and stubbornly lingered. I could have sworn she was about to ask us what else we were going to do, but she thankfully ended up exiting the kitchen, trying not to stomp her feet.

 

"You should probably go after her," I told him when he tried to start kissing me again.

 

"Why?"

 

"Did you come here as her date?"

 

"No. I gave her a lift here."

 

I still wasn't sure and he must have noticed from the look on my face. 

 

"She has a boyfriend, Valerie, that's why I'm not taking her advances to heart. I wouldn't play with someone's emotions like that ever again." The word 'again' made me wonder if he'd broken someone's heart before. Nice guys could be heartbreakers too, even sometimes moreso than bad boys because they easily made everyone fall in love with them with their actions often mistaken for something else. At least with bad boys what you saw was what you got.

 

It's no doubt in my mind even after watching him tonight Henry had the charm to drop the pants off of any person and he was really good at flirting. I couldn't keep up with how many women he had giggling--even when he wasn't trying too hard. 

 

I then remembered Ella asking me to try and decided not to think too deeply about all this. We were just having fun after all. I was acting like I wanted a relationship and I'd just met the guy. Also the disappointment on his face made me feel bad.

 

The honesty on his face made me nod with the decision to trust him for now. To be completely honest I wasn't sure why he chose to kiss me when he already knew how difficult I could be.

 

I didn't want him to feel like he was the only one putting up the effort, so it surprised him when I kissed him languidly. He was smirking when we pulled back. 

 

"What time is it?" I asked quietly.

 

A slow grin spread on his face as he pulled out his phone, and I knew he was glad that I was trying to come around, at least even a little bit.

 

"12:04."

 

"My new favorite time of the day," I said and we shared a secret smile. This time and favorite moments was our thing, it seemed.

 

I gave him a farewell kiss on his dimpled cheek and he searched my face before adding, "This isn't over, you know that, right?"

 

I knew it. I think I knew it wasn’t over last time either. I just had a feeling about this guy.

 

"Your number," he said as he punched through his phone.

 

The finality in his tone showed me that he wasn't going to take no for an answer or play the coy immature game I played last time. The tone told me this done deal was something I shouldn't try to fight.

 

Now I understood the reason for that 'light' he had in his eyes when we were at Sea Burger and the one that sprang up when he looked at me from the counter. At that point, he'd just been playing nice. Now he'd let the lion out of its 'nice guy' cage and he was on the prowl to get what he wanted and he wanted me.

 

The thought was daunting but flattering.

 

"415-777…"  I found myself saying.

 

The last time I gave a guy my number things didn't really end well but I tried not to think too much of it.

 

"Do you have your phone on you?" he asked.

 

"I left my purse in the car. My phone's in my purse."

 

"This had better be your number, Valerie," he said as he stashed his phone in his back pocket.

 

I was about to sigh and tell him to say my name again but I told myself to get a fucking grip.

 

I gulped hard and nodded only for him to trap my chin in my fingers and kiss me lightly. When he pulled back, our lips were so close they rubbed together when he spoke.

 

"I'm going to make you mine pretty soon. And I hope you are ready when we get to that point."

 

With that said, Henry left the kitchen.

 

I sat there mind blown, just wondering what the fuck, and so terribly turned on I was afraid to walk on my shaky legs.

 

I was way passed royally fucked now.

 

I was done for.

 

When I finally regained my composure, I got off the counter and realized we'd left his beanie on the floor. I was astounded by what I did. And here I'd sworn I'd never openly kiss another man and feel desirable while doing so.

 

I picked up the beanie and curiosity made me inhale it. The smell of apples surprised me but it was extremely comforting and brought a silly smile on my face.

 

I was smelling the beanie again when Ella stumbled in and stopped in her tracks. We looked at each other for a few awkward beats.

 

"Isn't that Henry's? You creep! You turn a guy down and then you sniff his belongings after he leaves?" she sighed heavily and went towards the fridge. "We really need to assign you a new therapist Valerie. I'm soooo over your shit!"

 

"I gave him my phone number," I blurted out, unable to hide it. Ella whipped around, staring at me ogle eyed as though she'd just heard the most impossible thing on earth.

 

"What?"

 

I hid my smile and lip bite behind the beanie. My toes curled when I thought of what we'd just done and I felt fuzzy and warm inside. I nearly started tap dancing right there in the kitchen. So this is what 'letting go' was like. Deep down I still had my inhibitions, my doubts, my insecurities and queries about Henry, but I was trying really hard to suppress those emotions.

 

I just wanted to welcome all this goodness he was making me feel. Though I wouldn’t lie to myself that it was happening so fast, these feelings. Who knew when they'd fizzle out?

 

I did what he said on the beach about living in the morning, enjoying the hell out of this 'I'm finally desired by a guy I actually like too' phase I was going through.

 

"I gave him my phone number and we kissed."I blushed, looking down at the beanie as I twisted it nervously in my hands. "Like really, really kissed. Like really, really, really kissed."

 

Ella was gaping at me and surprised me when she suddenly fell to her knees with her hands outstretched to the heavens.

 

"THERE IS A GOD!!!" she cried with her eyes closed and I burst out laughing, going over to her and forcing her back on her feet.

 

"You are so dramatic!"

 

"This is a big fucking deal! Don't steal my happy, okay?!"

 

"Okay."

 

By the genuine smile on my face she smiled back and we had a moment where I'm sure like me, she was having flashbacks of the past. She knew what I'd been through, hell what she'd been through with me, and she knew how grand this situation was, so she threw her arms around me.

 

"Ahhhhh!!!"

 

I laughed and hugged her back.

 

I tried to drown all those mental and emotional demons gunning after me.

 

I forced myself to enjoy the moment and leave that negativity out.

Chapter 5 by notheruniverse


Chapter 5

"I haven't seen him since Margaret's gathering. We've just been texting cause he's been busy."

I said to Ella as I walked to the stove with my cutting board of cubed chicken for the quesadillas I was making for our dinner.

It had only been three days since I'd last seen Henry. I'd expected a call the day after our kiss, but didn't get it.

I didn't even get a text, so initially I was let down once again, thinking I was a girl of the moment, but I made no mention of it to anyone. I tried not to think about it too much as I had to get refocused on work before I got fired, and also looking for another job. 

The day after, he sent me a text. I only knew it was him because he texted 'Hello Valerie', and he was the only person that called me by my full name other than my father. Dad had never sent me one text and whenever we spoke to each other the conversation never began with a 'hello' neither were goodbyes said, and the subject was normally related to businesses.

That day in particular my father had upset me. I tried to dive back into work and he ripped into my coding, which I felt was payback for my slip up last week. When it happened I wanted to suck it up and take it in stride, but I was so frustrated and unmindfully sent Henry a text telling him how fucked up my day was without really divulging what happened. Everytime I talked about my issues with my father, I came out incoherent, so I didn't bother mentioning that he was the source of my troubles.

I was eating almonds for lunch, having lost my appetite with how roughly my father degraded me when I received a text from Henry. It was a picture of a cat pushing another cat down the stairs when the cat was trying to take a peek below. It made me laugh and I scrolled down to read his accompanying message.

Henry: I hope that made you laugh (unless you have a real dry sense of humor and have an abnormal devotion towards cats). Sorry about your day, can't talk much now, but we will talk later.

My day got turned around instantly and when my dad walked by later in the day and saw me in cheerful spirits, he was taken aback but made no other mention of it. I made it a note to myself to rely on myself to make myself happier next time, but I definitely appreciated how much better Henry's text made me feel.

Now, Ella grinned as she poured us drinks. "I'm so happy you took his number. Peter's told me he talks about you a lot."

I tried so hard not to blush and failed, but deep down I also felt a bit uneasy. Is that why he hadn't called the day after we kissed? I still found Peter's behavior when I went to Margaret's weird. I had a feeling Ella contacted him before we got there and pleaded with him not to give me a hard time.

I also wondered how much Peter told Henry about me when I wasn't there. Ella could control the way he treated me, but Peter and Henry were friends on their own accord. Who knows what he'd told him? Especially about my past?

Ella and Peter had gotten into a huge fight in the past over him blabbing my business to a guy that tried to talk to me that I turned down, and ever since then he seemed to keep a tight lid on my business. He didn't know too much anyway. Peter and Ella had only been dating a year and he hadn't known me when the huge change in my life occurred.

Truthfully Ella was the only person that could give anyone a detailed account on my past because while we lived in different places, we spent most of our summers together. Her being the only child and me not really having that many friends made room for our close friendship.

I tried hard not to overthink things. Henry didn't say anything that implied he knew too much about my past. The texts were always pretty tame whenever we spoke.

I got done eating dinner first and Ella cringed at me. "That's all you're eating? You only ate half of your quesadilla!"

This was why I preferred to eat alone. Sometimes Ella got a bit nitpicky with what I chose to eat or how I ate. I had a very strict diet and counted calories, having to keep on a rigid one especially after how I'd slipped up at Seaburger.

"I had something on the way home," I lied to try and get her off my back.

Luckily Ella didn't nag me about it and offered to do the dishes.

Grateful that she left the subject alone, I retired to my room.

While in the shower, I tried to keep my mind on track about tomorrow and the new project we'd be starting at work, but my thoughts kept going back to Henry.

I was a big dreamer because ever since I was little, I had to use my imagination. Not having many boyfriends while being a hopeless (nope i won't say romantic), forced me to do so. As I got older I tried to keep my fantasizing in check and I hadn't really since an incident that changed my life, but Henry was making me become a dreamer again.

Now as I stood under the shower I imagined those green orbs staring at me, that hibernating mischief in his eyes as he pushed me up against the wall and…

Then the dream deflated when the image of my body came to mind and I huffed in frustration, showering quickly without looking at myself and getting out of the shower.

I couldn't stop thinking about him, wondering about our kiss and touching my lips thoughtfully, still feeling him sucking and nipping my lips hungrily.

Laying on my back on the bed, I picked up my favorite video game magazine from my nightstand This was the one thing that could always zap me out of my fantasies no matter what. All the character designs took my breath away as much as they did when I was a teenager. As I read the latest issue on the depressing sales of video games for the second quarter of the year, my cell phone rang.

When I saw the letter H lit at the center of my phone, I grinned big, took a deep breath, and answered the phone, siting cross legged at the center of my bed.

"Hey!"

"Hello Valerie."

I bit my bottom lip when the smooth baritone spoke through the phone. This was the first time I was talking to Henry on the phone. I suddenly felt very shy and a bit confused. Nice guys weren't supposed to be intimidating?  Maybe he wasn't as nice as I thought? I don't know.

"How are you?" I asked, trying to keep my cool.

"Good. Just got to my hotel, back from a workshop. It was a good one."

He sounded exhausted. Adorably exhausted. His voice was raspier than usual.

"A workshop?"

"Songwriting workshop."

"You still go for songwriting workshops?" I asked, biting my giddily smiling lip. His voice was making me want to climb the walls and everything.

"Yep. Have to stay on top of my game," he said. "Your day get any better?"

"Oh yeah." I laughed nervously, sounding like a damn fool. Where was all that bravado I had at Seaburger? Oh, it was two Painkillers away, that's where. "Especially after that picture you sent me."

"That cat's amazing, init? Cheeky little thing, that cat is."

"I like the way you talk," I blurted, then winced at how ignorant I sounded.

He chuckled and said observantly. "You like the way I talk…" 

"Yes."

"Why thank you."

"So what exactly happens at those workshops?" I asked next when an awkward silence began. Why wasn't he talking and why did I get the feeling he was smirking the entire time? But Henry rarely smirked. He was the sweet smiling type so I'm not sure where all these thoughts and vibes were coming from.

Finally, Henry responded. He spent the next few minutes explaining what songwriting workshops were to me. I was surprised that someone as accomplished would still take it back to the basics from time to time, but that showed me his humility. Even though he was currently one of the big producers in popular music, he still felt his humble beginnings were important.

He was making my heart sing too loudly.

"That sounds really interesting," I said as I hugged my bare legs close to me, deciding I could listen to him all night.

"It's alright," he said in his unhurried voice. "One of my mentors runs the workshop I went to, so it was really good to see him again after a while."

"That's pretty cool that you still keep in touch with him."

"He's a good mate, a good man. So tell me why you had a bad day?"

The sexiness of his raspy voice was making me lose my freaking mind.

"Oh I was just being dramatic." I waved off but with a nervous laugh. "The work load my father has put on me has become a bit stressful."

"You work for your father?"

I realized I'd never told him this and I groaned with a roll of my eyes. "Yes. Don't get me started on him."

"Are you and him not close?"

"I mean I love my dad, we just have different opinions. He's a very hard worker so he expects the best from everyone at all times." I was about to say it put lots of pressure on me, especially when I hated the profession, but didn't want to come off whiny. Hell, I was surprised he still wanted to kiss me after how I acted the first night we met.

"I see," he said thoughtfully.

"Yeah…" I didn't know what else to say and it became a bit quiet.

"You're probably wondering why I called, yeah?" he asked.

"A little bit," I said with a small smile.

"I like your voice."

My cheeks became scorching hot and I bit my bottom lip.

"Was that corny too?" He asked and I could hear his smile.

"Yes but it was nice. I like yours too. Do you get that a lot? That you have a nice, unique voice?"

"I've gotten that I have a creepy voice for the most part," he quipped and I laughed.

"What are you wearing?" I asked randomly unable to help myself. This time the loud laughter that cannoned out of him was loud. It hit me hard, pleasantly so.

"Umm..I'm in a tank top and jeans. I just took my shoes off. And I got a beanie on."

"Oh god…" I murmured, feeling hot all over. I'd taken a liking to beanies now all because of him.

"What? Do I sound hideous? Should I have said i'm wearing nothing? I can strip now if you want."

"You are silly. You sound gorgeous, trust me. Speaking of beanies, I have yours. I'll return it I promise."

At least it gave me an excuse to see him again.

"You can return it tomorrow. I'm making bangers and mash. Don't ask, it's a British thing. I want you and Ella to come. I did say I would cook for you didn't I?"

I let out a soundless scream while flopping back onto the bed, feeling more excitement than I ever thought I could.

"Of course I'd love to come!" so long for trying to sound cool and reserved. I cleared my throat and tried a more reserved approach. "I mean, yeah sure that would be nice."

He laughed at my obvious attempt at hiding how excited I was to see him again.

"Well you take care, and if you ever want to talk about work just let me know."

"Thank you! You too. Like if work ever bugs you or something."

His throaty laugh sent shivers down my spine. "Trust me, you don't want me to start talking. I'm known to give massively long, detail-oriented, boring stori--hey!!!"

He stopped when I started to snore loudly and I laughed at his reaction.

"That was good." I could hear the smile in his voice. "I look forward to more. Have a good night, Valerie."

"You too, Henry."

I hang up with the biggest smile on my face that night.

And just when I the thought crossed my minds, the demons from my past raced to the forefront and reeled me back to reality.

But not for long, because I drifted off into sleep daydreaming about Henry anyway.

Chapter 6 by notheruniverse

Chapter 6

I was just leaving my car, walking to Earldet building when Henry popped in my mind. I went to sleep with a smile on my face and woke up feeling less heavy hearted and stressed than usual.

It was there an hour earlier than my reporting time because I wanted to show my father that I was capable of doing a good job. I wanted to look over the research I'd compiled for the project, which I'd discuss with my team later on in the day.

When I was at my cubicle I focused on my work for about thirty minutes with Henry racking my brain the entire time. I finally gave in and sent him a spontaneous text, though I regretted it soon after cause it was really early.

Valerie: Good morning

I was surprised when the response came instantly.

Henry: Lol morning

Valerie: Wth??

Henry: I bet you didn't think I'd be awake, did yah ;-)

Valerie: Why are you awake so early?

Henry: Kickboxing

Valerie: Nice ;-)

Henry: Did I get a cheeky wink?

Valerie: ;-) ;-)

Henry: Is there something in your eye miss?

Valerie: Lmao :-(

Henry: Aww i'm sorry. Here, let me make it better…


He sent me another funny picture of a cat, this time the one of the grumpy cat meme with the caption 'NO'. I smiled.

Valerie: :-|. I was waiting for the kiss smiley and you send me that!! thanks though i loved it :-D

Henry: Ah ha, so you can't wait to kiss me again either…;-) ;-) ;-)

Valerie: :-D


I was grinning like such a fool and jumped when one of my earlybird coworkers said hello. I had to set my phone down to talk to her for what I thought would be a minute but ended up thirty entire minutes. I couldn't get her to leave fast enough but she brought up something integral to the project so I entertained the conversation until we were done. Just when I wanted to get back on the phone, a work load came up that had me focused on work for the next two hours.

I finally had time to be on my phone when everyone had shown up and was working.

Valerie: Work is kicking my ass I texted him, unable to stop myself from talking to him.

Henry: I would ask what you're doing, but I'm a complete bimbo in anything to do with software development.

Valerie: LOL, it's cool. So how long have you done kickboxing?

Henry: 9 years.

Valerie: wow! ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

Henry: You should come with me one day...

Henry: ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)


At that moment, the phone I was grinning so foolishly at in my hands got snatched away from me.

"In my office, now!" My father roared throughout the relatively quiet room. I stared at my empty hands in surprise, my emotions doing a complete one eighty and the huge smile on my face dropping. When I looked up I found that Dad didn't wait for me to react and was already heading to the elevator. What self respecting CEO snooped on his children at work? Was he really that bored with his life?

Twisting my mouth in irritation, I got up and followed him rigidly, already. I wasn't even that embarrassed. He'd done this so many times I was accustomed to being publicly shamed by him.

The elevator doors parted open to reveal relaxed employees who tensed once Don Jones appeared. They were all suddenly attentive, standing upright. A number of hellos swept through the elevator as he stepped in. Dad acknowledged them all in his usual way: with respect but also distance. My father wasn't the loving, friendly CEO type. Though his company had a great reputation in the industry with the greatest benefits one could ask for. He was competing with companies run by younger people who reportedly gave their employees nap time and allowed them to dress casually Monday through Thursday. While he couldn't be the hip young CEO that came up with a social network that let his employees take naps, the good benefits were something that set him apart from the rest.

When we were in the elevator, Dad looked through my phone and my jaw went slack as I stared at him. An incensed, unintelligible sound shot up my throat but I bit my lip and said nothing, folding my arms to keep me from snatching it from him. We gained a few curious stares but they were all wise enough to stay mute.

When we finally got my father's quiet floor, my father asked in a curious  yet furious voice that outraged me.

"Who the hell is Henry?" Dad asked in bewilderment. The question made it seem like it was so absurd that I would be talking to a guy outside of the workforce in the first place. "And what the hell does he mean co…" He obviously couldn't say the word. "What is this?!?"

"Are you fucking kidding me dad?! That's a violation of my privacy and I don't care if you're my father or not. What do you care anyway?" I asked angrily and started for his office, hands balled in tight fists. "You're the one who told me no one would ever want to marry me any way if I didn't change."

"Don't you raise your voice at me," he warned from behind me and I rolled my eyes and made a face.

"Don't you raise your voice at me," I mimicked in a whiney tone and walked faster cause I could feel him shooting daggers at me. If I were younger I'd have been popped in the head by now.

"Young lady, don't cross me."

"Hey Valerie," his soft spoken, elderly secretary Heather greeted but her smile dropped as did her eyes to her desk when she saw me and my father's expression.

When in his office, he closed the door, pointing my phone at me. "How many chances do I have to keep giving you before I let you go?"

"Don't ever look through my phone again! That's a violation of my privacy! I don't care if your my father or not!" I repeated my earlier words combatively.

"I only saw it because you were openly texting at work which as I've told you many times before is a violation of our policy. You don't like our rules, get out--" He cut himself off when the phone sounded that another text had been received.

He held it out of my reach when I tried to grab it.

"No texting while on the job. You haven't even gotten anything done today and you're sitting there texting.What impression does that leave my other workers? That I don't respect them and give my dear daughter special treatment-"

"HEY EVERYBODY!!! DADDY DOESN'T GIVE VALERIE SPECIAL TREATMENT!! DO YOU HEAR ME??!!?!?!" I yelled at the top of my lungs, making my father bug eyed.

"Are you mental?!?!" Dad asked in disbelief. Another text was received on my phone.

"Give me my phone!"

"Sit your butt down in that chair right now!"

Another text came and the warning look in my father's eyes told me I had no choice.

I huffed and stomped to the lounge area in his expansive office. As I sat down heavily, another text came and my father looked at my phone.

"DADDY STOP!!"

"Lower your voice!" he ordered as he surprised me, turning the device off without further reading my texts.

As I sat fuming, my father sat on the sofa across from me.

"How many chances do I have to keep giving you before I kick you out?"

"I think you're dying to kick me out. Why can't you just write me up like you do everyone else? Why are you so fucking uptight?"

"Language." His eyes were narrowed drably.

"Why Daddy? Why can't you just chill--"

"You children. Like chilling is what got me to where I am. Do you realize how lucky you are to have the life you have? Do you know how much sacrifice…"

The next ten minutes were filled with lectures of what an ungrateful brat I was and basically how I should be kissing the ground my father walks on. A few threats here and there were thrown in of my imminent termination.

"Are you done?" I asked impatiently when he was done talking.

"Yes. But you can only get your phone back at lunch."

"Dad!!!"

"Mr. Jones."

I sighed sharply and stood up with a roll for my eyes, fretfully going to the door.

"Wait!"

"What?!" I asked aggravatedly at the door.  

"Make sure he is treating you right. You don't want a man who sends you suggestive innuendos, especially in a text. That means he has no respect for you." My father struggled to say, awkwardly forcing the words out of his mouth and finding it hard to look at me.

"Also…" He stood up, pocketing his hands and avoiding eye contact before going on. "Be careful."

I blinked at my father in surprise. He'd only given me this advice once before and that's when I thought I was invited to prom.

My gaping mouth widened and morphed into a surprised smile.

"You care about me!" I accused in surprise, slowly advancing back to the room. He cleared his throat uncomfortably as he walked to his desk.

"I want you back on that floor and back to work. Do I make myself clear? You need to stop talking to this boy! He is distracting you from your successful future. Now go work and write him off from your life this instant!"

This was all so comical to me, how he was grasping at straws to be militant as usual. He'd already let his usually hidden concern slip through the cracks. I followed him and stood across from his desk, where he occupied his beloved leather CEO chair.

"You love me, dad." I couldn't hide my teasing smile.

"It's Mr. Jones at work," he said tightly, never once looking at me, flipping indignantly through some books. I wanted to hear what he'd say. Strange enough, my father had never said those words to me. I mean my mother told me he said it once when I was a baby, but obviously I couldn't remember.

"Admit it. You actually care about me," I taunted.

"If you keep up with the games, Valerie, I'm cutting your salary down less than half."

I was out of that office so fast my had was spinning.

Right before lunch, Heather brought my cell phone to me and I turned it on urgently. I was pleased to find that Dad really hadn't read anymore messages of mine. For all his ways, he was truly a man of his word.  As I read Henry's texts, I broke into a fit of laughter, all the while feeling bad.

Henry: …

Henry: …Valerie….

Henry: …Valerie?

Henry: Wait…did I upset you?

Henry: I just reread the message and I see how it looks…

Henry: Trust me, It's not what it looks like. I promise you, that was not meant to be a rude joke…..

Henry: and by 'rude' I mean suggestive. it's how we say 'dirty' in Britain, just in case you were wondering.

Henry: Valerie?! Talk to meee

Henry: PLEEEASE?!?!?!

Henry: I don't think you're cheap or a whore I swear.

Henry: You know if anything this is all your fault. Your silence turned it into a dirty joke. I didn't even think of it being rude until you didn't say anything.

Henry: Okay I guess I did upset you. I'm sorry…


With my back against the elevator wall, I was looking up at the ceiling laughing with my hand over my mouth. I felt horrible. I began punching the keys to text him back, wearing the biggest grin on my face.

Valerie: omg you'll never believe what just happened! I'm so sorry! My dad took my phone from me cause I was paying too much attention to my texts. then guess what he sees?! 'you should come with me some time ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)' lmao.

Henry: Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. …

Valerie: rotflmao henry stop

Henry:  :-( so I'm basically a dead man
 
Valerie: LOL he isn't about to do shit. you are not making him lose money so he isn't going to do shit

Henry: Was he mad?

Valerie: nah and who cares if he's mad i'm freaking 26.

Henry: Bloody hell. Do you know what you put me through this morning?! I know we just met but I couldn't stand the thought of you being upset with me


This tugged at my heart strings and made me smile.

Valerie: I think you are the type who it would be very hard to get mad at.

Henry: why does everyone say that lol

Valerie: because you are such a sweet person. You wouldn't even hurt a fly. Okay, got to go. My team mates and I are having a discussion about our project over lunch. I hope you had a good kickboxing session ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

Henry: Okay. Lol. Take care.

 

***


Henry answered the door and instantly took my breath away. His tousled hair was pushed back with a few strands fallen over his forehead. He had on a loosely tucked in, denim shirt, unbuttoned till his diaphragm and rolled up to his elbows. Darker colored jeans concealed his long legs down to worn brown boots. As beautiful as he was,  the one thing that caught my eye was the peach colored apron ruffled at the edges, with an assortment of brightly colored flowers across the front.

Here was this tall glass of man with a flowery material around his waist.

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

A hand suddenly pointed at it and I looked up to find Peter sticking his head into the door frame.

"This is his, not mine," Peter warned urgently and Ella let out a sigh of relief that made us all laugh.

"Hey!"Henry pretend to be offended but with a smile on his face that made my heart flutter.

"You're lucky you're good looking," She said as she pinched his dimpled cheek and gave him a hug.

"You like it?" Henry asked me with a goofy open mouth smile and his arms outward while he stepped back to let me in. This tidbit once again showed me how Henry didn't take himself too seriously. Sometimes men were too stiff in their roles of being men.

"I love it," I assured him as I gave him a hug. And wow, he gave the best hugs. I didn't want to let go.

"Good. That's all that matters." He said as he squeezed me in the hug.

"Eww!!" I pulled back and he laughed.

"Come on, that wasn't that bad," he tried to reason.

Once in the house I was immediately wrapped up by a heavenly aroma that heightened my hunger. I even got a bit lightheaded because I hadn't really eaten that much that day and I was bone tired from an extra hour of cardio in the gym.

So in addition to being a successful producer, Henry could cook too. His bangers and mash were amazing. Why did he have to make me fall for him more? He could cook way more than I could. I'd learned from Ella, and that wasn't much.

I was brought up to focus more on having straight A's, coding my ass out, and planning for a successful career path rather than how to be the domestic caretaker.

"That's it?" Henry asked when I got up to put my plate in the sink. Everyone else got seconds.

"I want to carry my seconds home," I evaded his question and cleared my plate in the sink. 

"Mhmm," Peter murmured when my back was to him and I soon heard an 'ow!'. I looked over my shoulder to see that Ella had probably kicked him under the table cause he was hunched down, returning her scowl.

She saw me looking and quickly smiled, then turned to Henry. I found her behavior weird, but I just turned back around and finished washing my dish.

"Henry, you need to teach this lazy bum how to cook. He can't do anything," I heard Ella complaining.

"Look, most men don't cook," Peter defended himself.

I was back at the table with them now.

"That's a good stereotype," Henry said blandly. Even the way he said that was sexy. Everything this guy did in my opinion was sexy. He was making me lose my mind.

"Well, some stereotypes are true," I pointed out, trying to stay on track. "I've not met that many men that can cook. My father and my brother never cooked."

"Amen, Val," Peter said, holding up his bottled water to me.

"You have a brother," Henry said as he analyzed me, and I tried hard not to become fixated on his lips. I wanted to suck on the fuller bottom lip like I had last time. Suddenly I felt hot and bothered and tried to stay focused.

"Don't worry, he's harmless," Peter interjected before I could respond. "You can still get your mack on. Ow!!"

Ella kicked him under the table again. Henry only shook his head at him but didn't respond. I knew my cheeks were bright pink and my fingers tingled. I'd never been in a situation like this before.

"I guess it depends," Henry sat back, rubbing his hands over his jean-clad thighs while looking at us. I unhurriedly trailed my eyes down his body. I noticed a new tattoo I hadn't seen before in cursive writing on the left side of his strong, virile neck. I normally didn't like men who were over marked with tattoos but they just worked for him. My mouth watered as I lowered my gaze to his exposed collarbone and down his chest, where his silver pendant lay. Staring at the little I could see of his chest, I concluded it was no doubt he took working out seriously. Was it the kickboxing?

He made a motion with his hands and I looked at them, captivated by their size. I was intrigued by the black bracelette he had on one wrist, wondering what was inscribed on it. What got me more was th network of veins protruding up his forearm. The sight began to build a pool between my thighs. What the fuck was happening to me around this guy?

Curiously I continued down till my eyes met with his groin. My cheeks become warm, and I quickly flittered my eyes down to his long legs. I took a much needed gulp of wine as plenty thoughts raided my mind. I wanted to climb on top of him at that moment just to see what he felt like. Thankfully when he spoke he dragged me back to reality.

"I had no choice but to learn how to cook," Henry continued. "I had to take care of my younger siblings cause Mom was always working."

It's no secret that his loyalty to his mother was a huge portion of his life.

"How many siblings do you have?" I asked him.

"Two. A little sister and brother. You?"

I set my wine glass down. "A geriatric older brother and a younger sister. And…yeah." My heart was thumping in my chest. Ella and I shared a passing glance but tried not to make it obvious. She looked a bit surprised. It's just talking to Henry always made me conflicted because I didn't like lying to him. I felt this way even though I'd just met him, but I truly felt so comfortable around him like I'd known him for years, I wanted to tell him things I never told most people.

"The middle child," he said with a small smile and I tried not to remember his kisses.

"Was it pressure being the first born?" I asked, praying my mind would stop wandering.

"I liked the pressure," he said immediately in his usual easygoing nature as he sat forward. It's like nothing ever phased him. I stared at his hands as he linked them together on the table, remembering how protectively they'd held my waist the first night we met at Chasers. 

"So did you guys see that article about how sex may actually help in prolonging life?" Ella suddenly asked.

"I can see that," Peter said.

"Uh oh. Think I saw an eye roll," Henry said to me with a teasing smile and I knew then I'd been caught. He'd been observing me.

"Well I just think sex is overrated," I said and he lifted a surprised brow with an an intrigued nod.

"Really…" he murmured as he watched me with a blanketed expression. It was always hard to know what was running through his mind.

"Oh god here we go," Ella sighed and sat back in exhaustion, but I could tell she was joking.

"I'm serious," I told her.

"Come on. You're just saying that because you don't get any," Peter said smugly.

"Peter!" Ella exclaimed.

"Not that you're not capable." Peter quickly reassured me. "You just choose not to. I bet if you found a guy who did it right you wouldn't be saying that."

"I don't think it's right to dissect what someone else's sex life is like. If she thinks sex is overrated, then it's overrated. It isn't everything, you know," Henry said and for the first time I saw him actually look a bit irritated with Peter but he was trying his hardest not to show it.

 

I was beaming on the inside because of Henry's gentlemanly ways. Now I knew why he loved his mother so much. She taught him well. Peter could learn a thing or a thousand from him.

 

"Dude don't even try to bring that media training you have from when you were in that boy band for a short time."

"What?" Ella asked in surprise.

"You were in a boy band?" I asked in shock too, trying not to smile. Henry could have killed Peter with the glare he gave him. His gaze softened when he looked my way and he only shook his head..

"Don't remind me," he pleaded gruffly and I laughed as he rubbed the bridge of his nose with his head bowed in shame, making a few dark brown strands fall over his forehead as a light pink crept up his cheeks.

My interest in him was piqued again. I tried to imagine him in a boy band and nearly laughed but it also made me wonder how much work ethic he had to have tried that too at some point in his life. He did say he had to take care of his siblings.

"This guy has got chics lined up to the heavens and hell so he shouldn't be talking about sex not being everything."

"Not true." This time Henry didn't hide his annoyance, cutting his eyes at Peter. His brows knotted in the way that normally got me excited. Okay maybe I thought sex was overrated but that didn't stop me from finding him extremely sexy.

"I just feel people let it govern their lives," I moved the topic back on track when I saw how vexed Henry was becoming. He looked relieved and even surprised that I didn't let Peter continue harping on him, but I could tell he was trying to study my reaction from that point on. I tried not to give anything away as I didn't know what to make of what Peter had said. I had to remind myself that while I felt like I'd known Henry for years, I'd just met him and there was till a lot to learn.

So he was probably a notorious flirt, not really surprising. It made me feel like one of many, but I wouldn't be surprised if I was. Those girls at Margaret's weren't flocking to him for nothing.

"Well when you meet a guy who finally rocks your world, let's see if you'll say the same thing," Ella said with a suggestive wriggle of her eyebrows and I just laughed with an eye roll.

We all talked for a while and soon I started clearing out the table, deciding that I would do the dishes. I was offered help but insisted on doing it alone. I was too used to doing things on my own especially with how my father trained me to be.

All three were in the living room while I focused on washing the dishes, trying not to daydream about how much I wanted to kiss those tattoos under Henry's collar. Or how I wanted so much to run my hands up and down his tattooed arms, tracing the veins that raced from his wrists.

And his hands…his strong hands…

My eyes fluttered closed without much of my control and I bit a moan that threatened to escape my lips, continuing to rub the sponge against the porcelain plate. 

"Hi."

I jumped, my eyes flying open. I soon felt a warm body behind me, then his scent, which made my nerves flurry to life. Henry was taller enough than me to where he could comfortably rest his chin on the crown of my head if he bent a little.

Arms bracketed my waist. Then I saw his hands joining mine as I sought for the dishes in the bubbly sink. I sucked my breath and stepped back, my initial reflex to get away. Only when I tried to step back, I couldn't because his firm body was there, my behind bumping against his hard thighs.

Every wall that I normally walked around with began to crumble like it always did in his presence. I felt nervous and weak. My mind was like fallen leaves scattered by the wind and I didn't know what to say or do.

"Shall I help you?" he asked me, the low whisper of his voice and the nuzzling that followed making me tremble.

Now I understood why those women were acting up. Henry was lethal in how he approached women. I should have tried hard to get but I'd never played that game and right now I was just too nervous to do anything. His presence was overpowering for some reason.

"Um, n-no it's fine. I think…I think…I got it." It was a miracle that I was able to get those words out.

"Do you clean to avoid people?" I felt his voice through his chest, vibrating against my back. My entire body tensed as a fuzzy feeling cascaded through me. Every time he got close its like my feelings became chaotic.

"I…no…" I said in a small voice. I couldn't believe how pitiful I sounded around him. But how could I not be reduced to just blushes and speechlessness when I now had a very close view of the flexing muscles in his arms as he too fished for things to wash.

"No? You know you did this last time."He gently pilfered the sponge from me and began washing some forks. He handed them to me to rinse and I'd place them on the dish rack.

"At Margaret's. You cleaned to avoid talking to people," he continued.

Then I felt him nuzzling right behind my ear, making a sharp electrical charge go through me.

I shrugged helplessly, my mind short-fused. We continued to wash quietly, and even as nervous as he made me, I liked all this very much.

"You smell nice." he said quietly, his voice gravelly. "Like peaches."

My nipples ached as they tightened and I inhaled deeply as I shivered.

"You smell nice too," I took a stab at flirting with him too, my cheeks burning when I did so.

"Oh really…" he drawled into my hair.

"Yes. Your hair smells like apples," I said with as much boldness as I could muster.

"Apples?" he asked laughingly, sounding amused. I'd never get over the feeling of him smiling. It was almost better than looking at him smile.

I wanted to explain to him that this was all new to me, then again, wasn't. It was new but it was making me panic. I really hated myself at that moment, but didn't have much time to think.

"Henry?"

"Hmm?"

"Aren't you afraid of me?"

"What?" he asked laughingly and I knew he was trying hard not to laugh harder. I smiled, tilting my head back to look at him with a smile that told him he could laugh his merry heart out. When I looked at him, he gently whisked his lips across my cheek.

"Am I afraid of you?" he asked, looking down at me.

I nodded, watching his hands again as he washed a plate.

"I normally don't believe in fear but the one thing that does always get to me is snakes. And maybe earthquakes, but you are asking me if I'm afraid of a harmless thing like you?"

"I have issues. They should make you afraid…" Even I didn't particularly like the sound of my voice. It was very cryptic and I didn't sound like a safe person at all, but in my mind, I was trying to help him.

"The thing about songwriting, it's just like storytelling. I love stories. I think people are the way they are cause we all have different stories. I'm interested in people's stories. Everyone has a reason. People are only scared of things they don't understand, that's why you help them understand you."

I had never heard anyone say anything like that, and it drew me to him even more. I wasn't even as tense as I was before. I was leaning against him now. He leaned down, his face now close to mine.

"Does that silence mean I was painfully corny?" he asked and I could feel his smile against my cheek.

"No. It means I'm amazed by you."

He smiled into my hair before moving his warm mouth over my ear, sending chills down my spine. His feather-light touch contacted a spot so sensitive I flinched away from him. Feeling foolish and blushing furiously, I rinsed some dishes.

"Do I make you nervous?' he asked in a low murmur that hypnotized me.  He'd then let go of the sponge and interlocked his fingers with mine. The sudsy water made his touch extra delicate. I bit my lip as I blushed.

"A little bit," I finally admitted with a frustrated frown aimed at myself.

"Don't be. I'm no one special."

"I'm not used to men being like this with me," I finally admitted after a moment's silence. My insecurities and doubts were simmering down the more I was around him.

"Does it make you uncomfortable?"

"Not with you. I like it when you do it. I just…" my voice tapered off when I couldn't find the words.

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to," he reassured soothingly.

"I'll tell you…"

I extricated my hand from his and run them over the colorful, black-outlined tattooes on his right forearm. Henry's breath hitched the moment my fingers made contact with his skin.It was roughened slightly by the fine hairs that straightened once I applied water to them.

"Valerie…" Henry sighed roughly into my ear and a strangled voice escaped my throat at the sound of his deep voice.

"You are so beautiful Henry," I murmured as I marveled over his arms, taking free rein and exploring the rifts and valleys that shifted as his muscles reacted to my touch. Each exploration of his skin, trading the tattoos, leaving small mountains of foam on his skin, got me excited and made my breath shallow. I completely forgot we were in someone else's kitchen. I forgot where I was when I was around him.

 I gasped when he trapped my earlobe lightly in his teeth and tagged gently.

"Henry…" I whimpered and my hands closed around his forearms arms, right before his elbows, and I was met with the steely surface of his hard muscles. My knees buckled and I bit my lip to keep me from moaning.

His teeth nipped down to my jaw, which I didn't even know was a sensitive spot. Electricity zapped through me and I pressed my back into him, wanting to feel more of him.

I tilted my head sideways without much thought, giving him more access as he lowered his soft bites to the base of my neck. He started sucking hungrily on the sensitive portion of skin.

This time I couldn't stop the small moan that escaped my lips, which Henry groaned in appreciation to as he continued to suck on me.

My neck arched back and the back of my head dug into his flexing shoulder as he sucked strongly but my feeling of bliss stopped when his wet hand came to over my womb, damping my shirt. He began to bunch it up and lift it.

I froze and luckily at the same time Peter called out to Henry from the living room.

"Yo Henry?!"

Henry suddenly stopped as if being snatched out of a trance, his lips leaving my skin in a strong sucking that stung a little, making me jump.

"Henry?!" Peter called out again and as my heart caused a racket within me, my mind spinning over what I'd just allowed to happen, Henry dropped his forehead onto my shoulder, muttering a curse under his breath. 

"The sound of his voice grinds my fucking gears!" he whispered through clenched teeth. I only realized he was clutching onto my shirt when he let go, his hand joining his other at the edge of the sink where he gripped so tight his knuckles turned white. 

"Just go! Go before he comes in here. I'll meet you there when I finish up." I tried not to let my voice sound as shaky as I was feeling. I'd let go of his arms and hid my shaky hands in the water, searching for something to wash.

He made a noncommittal sound that I found adorable. He wanted to stay with me and while that made me happy it began to terrify me now that he wasn't kissing me anymore. Reality was settling in.

"Can we talk outside when we're done? I.." I asked haltingly, with as much boldness as I could muster when I felt him moving away from me. I'd become too used to the feeling of him. When I realized how urgent I came off, I became embarrassed.

"You what…" he said hotly into my neck, licking lightly before pressing a small kiss there that made me shiver. I hesitated, now wringing the sponge like a shy little girl. Gosh, the things Henry Walker did to me!

"Tell me. Tell me, Valerie," he muttered and I bit another moan when his hot tongue danced around the portion on my neck he'd made throb.

"I'd like to be alone with you." I found myself saying, all my restraint drifting again.

"Of course. I love talking to you," He said in a raspy voice. My shoulders hiked when his lips tickled the outer shell of my ear before he pressed another firm kiss and peeled himself away from me. I heard him wiping his hands with the kitchen towel and was shocked when he gave me a peck on my cheek and disappeared out of the kitchen.

Once I was alone, I blinked my life into focus and took deep breaths, wondering if I was still in a dream state of some sort.

My hands convulsed fervently as I struggled to finish the dishes. My mind was jumping all over the place along with my heart. My face was a furnace as all this energy coursed through my veins. It was a miracle I could still stand.

I completed washing and found them in the living room, having a heated discussion about politics.

"Why is your shirt so wet?" Ella asked and I suddenly remembered Henry gripping it, trying to lift it.

I shot a mortified glance his way, but Henry didn't even look up, continuing his conversation with Peter.

"Uh, just washing dishes," I laughed nervously and sat on the arm of the chair, listening to their opinions about politics.

A few moments later, Henry got a phone call and excused himself from us. Peter stepped into the kitchen for a beer and that's when Ella linked her arm with mine and pulled, making me slide from the arm of the chair where to the cushiony couch next to her.

"What the fuck is this?!" Ella whispered, her eyes alit with amusement. I inched back when she touched my neck and winced a bit at how sensitive the skin was.

"What are you talking about?" I asked panicky and wide eyed with my and over my neck. I could still feel his lips.

"He gave you a hickey didn't he?!"

"What?!" I asked in surprise. Ella reached for her purse, which was by her on the couch, and handed me her compact mirror.

I became goggle eyed when I saw bruising where Henry's lips had been. I'd never gotten a hickey before…

"He so wants to fuck you!!" Ella continued whispering in delight, bouncing in her seat while looking in the hallway where Henry had disappeared.

"Will you stop!! That's vulgar as hell!"

"I saw you guys in the kitchen bumpin' and grindin'!" She said while rolling her hips as she sat and I swatted her. She looked so excited she could jump through the roof. "I didn't know you started kissing??"

"You were spying on us??" I knew my face was extremely red now. I felt so embarrassed because of how I behaved: so openly, fearlessly, and shamelessly. For a long time I accepted that I didn't deserve to be that way and now Ella had seen me in one of my most vulnerable moments ever. I was about to crawl under the coffee table at the center of the living room. Ugh.

"No I wasn't!" She tried to defend herself. "I wanted more wine but you and him were all over each other. I've never seen you let a guy stand next to you for that long ever since--"

"Not true." I broke eye contact as I continued to rub my neck.

"Remember how you push guys away from you in the club? You didn't push Henry away! Oh god it was so cute you guys were washing the dishes together! Val, seriously, you need to hop on this one. Listen to what Josephine said and hop on that British d!!!"

"British d? What's that?" Henry asked with a surreptitious smile as he rejoined us in the living room, his hands behind him as he adjusted his pants.

Somewhere along the way, Ella's voice changed into a normal speaking volume. It would do that when she says that stupid phrase her and Josephine came up with.

I opened my mouth and tried to think of a way out of this but Ella interrupted.

"It's a new dance." Her devilish smile left nothing to be desired.

"Really? Haven't heard of it." Henry;s innocuousness didn't fool me. He sat on the couch next to mine. I could barely look at him.

"Yeah, you do the bunny hop and then ride like a cowgirl. Yeehaw!" She really had the nerve to demonstrate. Henry's eyes danced amusedly as he watched and nodded slowly; even his mocking was polite. I embarrassedly lowered Ella's arms.

"You are just so stupid it hurts!" I chastised her.

"Hey man where's the other beers?" Peter asked at the doorway to the kitchen and Henry excused himself to go show him where they were.

"Don't ever do that again!" I hissed at Ella, smacking her arm as she doubled over on the couch, gripping her stomach as she laughed her heart out. It didn't take long for a smile to begin breaking through my irritated frown.

"Shut up," I mumbled, twisting my lips so I wouldn't smile foolishly along with her.

Minutes later the guys emerged from the kitchen, Henry with two sweating bottles of beer in his hands.

"Alright Peaches, I got our beers. Let's go sit on the porch," He said to me. At first I didn't know what he was talking about, then I remembered him saying I smelled like peaches. The smile on my face couldn't be erased.

I shot up to my feet. "Okay Apples!"

His grinned his sweet grin when he knew I was on the same page. Effortlessly he wrapped his fingers around two bottles in the same hand, using the other to open the door.

I heard Ella whispering as I followed him out the door.

"Girl…ya'll got nicknames already??"

When I looked over at her I was relieved to find that Peter was focused on the game and hadn't heard her.

"Shh! Leave me to be alone with my Apples. Bye!" I stuck my tongue out at her smiling face before going out and closing the door behind me.

Chapter 7 by notheruniverse


Chapter 7

A soft glow spread throughout the dimly lit porch where Henry and I had settled. I was on the cushiony porch swing and he was on a wrought iron chair on the other side.

We were discussing the beer brand when Peter poked his head out in the porch, disrupting us.

"This girl won't stop asking me about you," he told Henry warily.

Henry sat back and propped his legs on the chair in front of him, crossing one ankle over the other.

"Just tell her the truth. I'm not looking for a serious relationship right now," Henry told him, his eyes so honest and unapologetic.

I knew it was none of my business, but his words made me feel a bit weird. At least now I knew where he stood. It's not like that's what I wanted from him anyway. Though it did show me how unusual our little interactions were going. We'd kissed each other many times and he'd just given me a hickey.

Then again, maybe this wasn't really unorthodox for 'normal' people like Ella had said. Maybe it was normal to just enjoy physical frolicking with the opposite sex just because they looked and sounded good. I thought back to all the times I envied Ella's stories of making out with a guy with no strings attached just because she was attracted to him. I guess Henry and I were doing the same thing. So my bet was not to put too much stock into what we were doing.

And anyway, I'd already warned him about being afraid of me. I already knew I wasn't relationship material, at least not yet, so I couldn't fault him for not wanting one.

I tried to cease my mind from running too far with thoughts. We hadn't even talked about it so I didn't need to be thinking about it.

"What?" I heard Henry ask inquisitively and looked up to find his eyes sparkling with curiosity across from me.

"It's nice out today," I hedged as I took a swig of beer.

"It is. We should go out dancing or something," he said as he slid further down in his seat, also sampling his beer.

"Um, earth to music producer, I got a regular 9 to 5. It's a Thursday. Not gonna happen. Where do you live?"

"Miss Randomson, I live in East of London in a nice little house. I'm thinking of getting a place here but I'm not sure. I move around a lot, I'm currently in a hotel that's why I asked Peter if I could cook at his place."

"I would have much rather eaten at your hotel than his raggedy house."

Henry smiled, scrutinizing me pensively for several moments. "Is there some kind of rivalry between you and Peter?"

"We just get on each other's nerves, that's all."

He nodded. "Peter's a strong personality."

Sometimes I wondered what the hell Henry saw in Peter. I knew enough now to know that they were like oil and water. Peter was brash and uncouth and never thought before he spoke. He was elitist in some ways and could be very judgmental to those that weren't like him.

Henry was nothing like that, at least so far. He was kind just by nature and didn't have to try hard to be, that's just who he was. He didn't have to watch what he said because normally he didn't have anything bad to say about anyone, though admittedly that made me wonder about him sometimes.

Still, he seemed like the type who accepted anyone and everyone for what they were without any qualms. He took the 'live and let live' saying to heart and didn't hurt anyone as long as they were living their lives positively. His kind was a rare breed but it was nice when you came across them.

"How long are you going to be here?" I asked, hoping I didn't sound as longing as I felt.

"I leave tomorrow."

"Oh." I tried not to show my disappointment, focusing on my perspiring bottle instead. He lived in freaking London so this little fun thing we had going on would be ending soon. I hated how dejected I was already feeling. I needed to get a fucking grip. This is what 'having fun' with someone entailed: not getting attached.

"Why are you all the way over there, Madame?" Henry suddenly asked me.

I looked up to him across the dark.

"Come here," he motioned with his head and I blushed just at the thought of going to him.  He knew what happened any time we were physically close to one another. I couldn't handle another earth shattering moment. Unlike before, I now felt I had to have control, not because of my own insecurities and problems, but because of him. He made me too weak and vulnerable and I became irrational around him.

I was starting to wonder if I should have feared this nice guy.

"Are you suddenly scared of me?" he asked humorously, unknowingly reading my mind.

I worried my bottom lip in apprehension for a few seconds.

Not wanting to be mocked, I got up and crossed the wooden porch. It creaked beneath my bare feet as I made my way across and sat at the edge of the chair where his feet were. I was barely sitting, his feet were centered on the chair and there wasn't much room for me.

This made Henry laugh heartily and I nursed my beer to control the timidity that enveloped me.

"Valerie."

I looked up and he pointed at his lap. "I meant come sit here. With me. Not there."

His eyes pierced through the dark to me, coaxing me. I never wanted to be those girls that did anything a man told them to, especially after a harsh experience in my past, but this was the problem of having so little experience. You always wanted those experiences you longed for when they were unattainable to you.

I got up, gripping my beer in hand cause I was so nervous, and crossed the distance between us. Filled with trepidation, I sat on his sturdy thighs but avoided looking at him, focusing on my beer instead.

I didn't feel him strain or  struggle to hold my wait. I was also surprised by how solid his muscle felt under my own thighs. He was much stronger than he looked it seemed. Kind of reminded me of someone I used to know.

"You're very weird," I murmured while staring at my bottle.

"I get that quite a bit."

"I mean, I just feel suspicious sometimes because I know I'm not your type," I blabbered and bit my lip regretfully. 

"You must live inside my brain to know that…" I could tell he was a bit irritated and I glanced at him apprehensively and was surprised to find that while his expression wasn't one of irritation, it was basically unreadable. I focused on my bottle again.

"You're perfect and I'm not," I hated that I was saying this.

"Why would you ever put another human being above yourself? I reckon now that you don't think all beings are created equal."

"What? No! that's not true."

"Why would you say someone else is out of your league or more perfect than you are? That sounds like you're being pretty judgmental against yourself to me and it means you think there are people who are actually better than others for trivial reasons such as 'type'."

"No. no I'm not. I never looked at it like that…" I said solemnly. I was not used to having such conversations of depth with men.

He studied me for a minute and I broke eye contact.

"One of these days, you're going to have to tell me everything Valerie. The whole story. Remember bits and pieces," he shook his head. "not my thing."

I looked up at him and studied his expression too. It usually took me eons to trust someone but for some reason I really wanted to trust this guy. I was so drawn to him. This is where I normally fought or started running in the other direction. This is where this unnatural happening made me conclude that it didn't make sense which meant I was being used.

My uneventful safe life nearly made me shut the doors again, but for now, I chose to brave it out.

"Okay. I was severely overweight as a little girl well into my adulthood," I blurted out with no tact whatsoever. I felt a bit silly afterwards but now that the cat was out of the bag, there was no reneging.

I felt Henry's shock and didn't dare look at him. I didn't want to see his troubled or confused expression. I kept going like I was closing my eyes and deciding to run into a burning building.

I decided since I'd already started, I might as well say as much as I could.

"Gastric bypass," I rushed to add. "But also hard work. People call that fake losing weight, but I really did work hard."

"Fuck people," Henry finally said. I was so wired up I couldn't even comprehend what he was thinking of me now.

"Well, I'm sorry for bringing up this awkward conversation. I just feel like I'd be lying if I didn't say--Well, not lying but--I just…ugh, I'm sorry."

It was a bit strange to bring up something that shouldn't have bothered me anymore. It's just that it did. Articulating how it did was the problem. There was always the 'get over it' attitude and it was easier said than done. It was easier to get over it in other aspects of my life except for when it came to dating.

 

The weight may have melted away, but the scars were still there. Scars from bullying, neglect, stares.

 

I waited for Henry to be completely turned off like the last guy I tried to explain it to. I waited for him to do the big 'Ooookay well that was fun. Wanna go back inside?' and never speak to me again.

"Even with the weight gone, you're still self-conscious," he said conclusively, rubbing just below my nape and I nodded as his warm hand spread warmth through me.


My heart thudded ferociously in my chest. I hoped to god I wasn't making a mistake by trekking these paths of the past.

 

"Yeah. It's just been about a year and a half since I lost the weight. I still have a long way to go."

"No. You stop here. You're fine."

The way he was treating me was making me break piece by piece. I never knew telling him about this would have me feeling so vulnerable and jumpy and besides myself. I thought since we were speaking as friends the words would flow out easily. Now I realized how much I valued his opinion. Now I realized how much I didn't want him to run away from me and my baggage.

"But my BMI says I'm still overweight," I blurted yet again, now realizing that the reason I couldn't close the broken dam that was my mouth was because I hadn't talked about this openly with anyone in a very long time. Even with my therapist I censored my words because that was my way of rebelling against my father.

Part of me keeping my job was going to the therapy sessions Dad had sort of coaxed me into going to. As a grown woman, I couldn't say he actually made me go. Though if I wanted to keep my job in that reputable company, I went.

Long story.

"Fuck a BMI, are you kidding me?"

I realized then that Henry's caustic curse words were something I wasn't used to. He didn't seem the type to throw curse words left right and center so when he did you listened. I peered at him to find that he was genuinely disturbed by my line thinking that I needed to lose weight. Focusing on the opening of my beer again, I tried to explain myself without sounding too pitiful.

"It's just I still feel…disgusting…"

Memories of staring at my overhanging flesh in the mirror flashed through my mind. The pain and helplessness that would cease me then subjugated me now mentally and nothing I could do could stop it. The therapy sessions had helped until I met Henry. I knew I sounded crazy and incoherent, I just didn't know how to encapsulate years of mental and emotional abuse into a few sentences.

"People with more weight aren't disgusting. They're still people."

When I looked up at Henry I found that he wasn't pleased with what I'd said I searched his expression for any faux righteousness but found none. I knew he wasn't a saint and didn't want to be seen as one but I was also beginning to learn that Henry Walker had boundaries when it came to judging people.

"But apparently they're lazy and lack self control and apparently they stink more and they're just vile human beings who don't deserve to be happy and will burn in hell for what they allowed to happen."

"Is that what people used to tell you?" he was frowning.

"I was reminded of every day of my life. Well, that's kind of dramatic. Most days when they didn't feel the need to state the obvious."

"You were as beautiful then as you are now."

His words made me pause.

"I know. Go on, roll your eyes…" he said in some kind of self-deprecation that surprised me. It's like he was used to people thinking that a guy 'like him' was bullshitting being so 'nice'.

"You haven't seen me…" I tried to explain to him, anxiously gripping my beer.

"I have seen you," he insisted. I opened my mouth protestingly but I decided I'd already said too much.

"What is it?" the gentleness of his tone made me gush everything I'd been holding in.

"What if I gain the weight back? I have a horrible metabolism. I have to keep the weight away," my voice was tinged with panic. I couldn't go back to being treated as sub-human, people making oink noises when you walked by, or men and women looking at you like you were a vile creature.

"What if? So? You'll still be Valerie? The honest game player? Who likes winters in New York and dancing on the sandy beaches at 4 in the morning? Who also likes the smell of Apples?"

The smile in his voice made me twitch a small smile. His hand was on the waist I despised so much and he rubbed the lower back of it consolingly as he watched me thoughtfully for several moments.

"You don't believe me."

"I'll come around. Eventually. I'm working on it. What about you? Your story? I've been narcissistic enough already. I need to hear more about you." I hoped my steering of the conversation would be successful, but Henry only watched me mutely in deep thought as he habitually rubbed his plump bottom lip.

"Are you sure you're okay?" he finally asked, not wanting to delve into another conversation before he was sure I was fine. I felt good that he wasn't rushing the conversation off, no matter how uncomfortable it got him.

"I'm actually very happy," I told him honestly. No matter how weird I felt I was glad I'd finally told him. Henry surprised me when he tucked my hair behind my hair.

"You're so fucking adorable to me…" he murmured wondrously and I felt heat that only he could create permeating through me.

"It's your turn, Mr. Bean," I said to try take the sudden shyness about to control me. Henry's face lit up, his eyes going so wide the white showed, and a grin creeping his lips.

"Why Mr. Bean? Cause I'm British?!" he exclaimed and it took a while for me to realize that he thought I was referring to the comedic show Mr. Bean.

"No! Cause you wear beanies!" I dropped my face in my palms. "Oh god! I'm sorry." I looked up at him, adding, "Speaking of beanies, I have yours in the car. So anyway," I impulsively fixed his denim collar, forcing myself not to touch the exposed touchable skin. "Tell me about your story." 

"My story," he said with a thoughtful sigh, looking off at the still, calm, night. He looked very handsome in the dim lighting outside. The curls looping over his profile drove me mad and I flirted with them before helplessly trailing my fingers down his sharp jaw. He looked at me bright eyed and amused with my amusement of him. Whenever I thought of men I found attractive they never looked like Henry yet with him sitting in front of me, I couldn't help but find him the most attractive man in the world.

"Yes," I said.

A slow, shrewd smile elongated his lips. "I don't really have an interesting one to tell."

My shoulders sagged knowing his stalling was an attempt to tease me and keep me eager. "Bull ish all the way."

He grinned as he admired the night again. "I was a normal kid. For the most part. I think the biggest impact in my life is when my parents divorced, but I was always referred to as the glue that kept it all together, cause apparently I'm a little positive bundle of joy."

I felt ignorant because this was a side of Henry I'd wondered about but hadn't really known what to expect.

When I said nothing still processing what he'd told me, he looked my way and smiled. Suddenly, he tickled my sides which he'd been holding in his hands. I giggled and my hand flew up to conceal my mouth, my reaction Henry's delight.

"Stop this instant. I don't giggle."

"I heard a giggle," he teased as he held my sides, pulling me closer.

"I so got it though," I said as I played with the buttons on his shirt. "You hold your emotions inside."

"What drives you to that conclusion?" he tilted his head inquiringly. I nearly pounced on his neck to start kissing it all over.

"I've never seen you pissed at anything," I said discerningly.

"I take the occasional piss into the loo," he said with a silly, boyish grin.

"Comedian of the year," I said dryly with an unenthusiastic clap that made him flash his teeth as he laughed.

"You don't know me that well either, then. I do get upset, but you are right, I just don't show it."

"Why not?"

He shrugged. "I guess I'm just built that way. It takes a lot to put me down. I feel if you let someone make you angry, you are giving them control."

For some reason I thought about how I'd often go off the handle whenever my father made me angry. For all his genius ways, Dad was known for his erratic behavior and fiery personality. I was like him just a tiny bit in that way. I wonder what he would do if I stayed calm as he went off on me. His head would probably explode.

As wise and 'common sense' as Henry's words were, they werent common for me to hear. They made an impression on me because most of the advice I usually got from home was technical. My mother was a bit softer than my father, but like him, excelling in academics and career was always the main goal.

They did teach me business etiquette, and how to watch your competition as much as you watched your coworkers, but that was about it. Advice about friends was not to put too much time and faith into it because that didn't give you security in the end. Financial independence was the pinnacle of success in the Jones' family.

In his few sentences I'd learned a lot from Henry, but I didn't want to show him how far I was taking his words and running with them. No sense scaring the guy off especially after cryptically imparting that he should be worried about me.

"When I saw how much my positive attitude helped my mother during the divorce, I've always just been that way," Henry surprised me when he continued. He was staring at his bottle reminiscently.
 
"You don't ever get sad?"

Henry's green eyes lifted to me questionably and I damned Negative Nancy for making an appearance. His covert smile as he refocused on his beer made me wonder if he was in line of my thinking how pessimistic I was.

"Oh, I'm awful." I lowered my gaze as I retreated back into my negative world. "Always thinking everyone has to have a deep dark secret or some chip on their shoulder."

"My deepest, darkest secret is I had an affair with a married woman when I was younger, and I still regret it to this day."

When I lifted my surprised gaze, it was to find Henry gazing at me unwaveringly, a seriousness on his face that I normally didn't see. Well, I take that back. The last time I saw it, he was telling me to give him my lips at Margaret's. 

"You did what?" I asked in disbelief when I finally found my voice. Such a thing couldn't compute as I looked at Mr. Nice Guy.

"I was young and foolish. I had the reputation of a charmer and it kind of got to my head. Every woman was a challenge that I wanted to get into. The richer I became, the lesser the challenge. Women just flocked. But finally, there was one who didn't flock, and I felt I had to get her, moreso to prove something to myself than to just have her. My ego got in the way.  It was fun for a while until I finally started to come to my senses not to mess with a married woman, but by then, I'd really began to fancy her and eventually fell in love with her as a person. It was a mess. Their…fifteen year marriage ended because of me."

Dumbfounded, I watched Henry focus on smoothing his thumb against the beer label, his eyebrows knotted. He clearly was lost in a maze and it seemed it would take a lot to get him out.

"Then like a selfish bastard I finally realized kids were involved," he continued. "And I thought of my own parents and their divorce, and what a huge cross that was to bear for me when I was younger. I was so young and foolish. I've even been called cold hearted and--" he cut himself of, his angry expression dissipating when he lifted his gaze to mine. He pursed his lips in regret, then smiled sadly, lowering his eyes.

"What?" I asked.

"You can run along now."

"Why?"

His head rested on the back of the chair as he regarded me knowingly. "Don't lie. I committed the ultimate sin. I broke a family. Why would you want to be around someone like that?"

That was a very good question. Why would I?

For all the ways I felt my father, I respected the fact that he'd never cheated on my mother. Either he was too obsessed with work or he really did love us deep down inside. My closest experience to divorce was watching what Ella's family went through.

Knowing so far what a sweet person Henry was, it didn't compute that he'd break a marriage. For a long time I didn't know what to say or do. I didn't know how to feel or what to do with the information.

What I did like was that he was honest and very forthcoming about a situation he didn’t have to be. Especially since it had happened so long ago.

"But she was also a part of it. She's an adult too," I finally said to Henry's surprise.

"You were young and a immature. We make mistakes. And you recognize your mistake, which is good."

Henry's stunned eyes turned introspective as he elaborated.

"I still feel bad about it though at times, and I guess that's my karma. That's why I hate when people keep saying I'm such a good sweet guy. I'm not."

We were both playing a very risky game. How were we supposed to know that each of us wouldn't go around town tattling what we'd just told one another?

I surmised that maybe because I'd entrusted something to him that was a very sensitive issue, he felt that I trusted him and maybe that made him think he could do the same. At least I hoped that's what this was.

"And please don't say I am, I know what I am," he continued haltingly.

"You were an asshole, but that's just a small part of you, not all of you. You're a good person, come on. Try embracing that just a little bit. Plus, you have dimples, you can't go wrong with that."

That made him dimple into a smile.

"Some criminals have dimples," he reasoned as he looked up at me. I helplessly kissed his indented cheek.

"Well then that’s their only saving grace," I sat back and looked down at him. "How old were you Henry, when this happened?"

"Twenty years old."

"How old was she?"

"Thirty-five."

"Eww!!"

"She's beautiful." He defended, trying to look offended only the persistent smile on his face marred that attempt.

"It's been seven years? Let it go."

His eyes marveled over me and the brief frustration I'd seen in his eyes was no longer there. Snaking my arms around his waist, I rested my chin on his chest, peering at him. "I'll still be your friend."

He brushed some strands away from my forehead. "Does it not bother you? Even a little bit? I'll like you  more if you tell me the truth."

"It's shocked me for sure. I do feel just a tiny bit woosy."

He smiled admiringly. "Thank you for your honesty."

I broke my eyes from his admiring gaze and rest my profile on his chest, enjoying the feeling as he started massaging my scalp with the digits of his fingers.

"Have you ever broken anyone's heart?" he asked me suddenly and I searched my mind till I found something.

"Yep. There was a time especially when the weight was lost, this guy oh he was just the epitome of perfect. Almost more perfect than you," I heckled.

"Really." he drawled amusedly and it was the sexiest sound. I squirmed.

"He was everything. Hard working, kind, a gentleman, but he  just wasn’t exactly my type physically. My stupid ass said no to him for that stupid reason. He now has a huge stake in Facebook and one of the prettiest models on his arm. Do you know how dumb I feel every time I look at my bank account?"

He was laughing quietly. "You are rather entertaining, I have to say."

"Listen, yes, getting with a woman knowing she was married was wrong, you were a young hot head who felt he had the world in his palm and let's be real, you felt you had to live up to a certain expectation." His eyes brightened with intrigue the more I talked. His teeth trapped his bottom lip and he listened intently. "There was pressure to be 'the man'. It's all fun and games when you're sleeping with the MILF until the divorce papers come, but that marriage was going to break. If it was important, she wouldn’t have given you the time of day. Think about it, if you're married to the person of your dreams, the person who you can fuck on the very same couch you watch sports on. Then one day, all of a sudden a youngin with a tiny waist, big boobs and long lashes comes your way, what would you do? Oh don’t forget your soul mate's body is sagging now and a bit frumpy. And they're also suffering hair loss. What would you do?"

"You're the worst." He was smiling even as he said that.

"You may be tempted but, you remind yourself who you're going home to, so you won't cheat. If you love someone enough, you won't cheat. And if you become weak for a moment and do cheat, if you love someone enough, you forgive even when they make a mistake. No matter how selfish. It doesn't mean you get back with them, but you forgive."

"You know, they got back together a year ago." His voice was a bit lighter and more hopeful. "I thought it would hurt but I couldn't be happier for them."

"See?!"

"I just worry about the kids. She assured me that it was better when they divorced because the kids saw them fight less but, it still saddens me that they went through that cause of me."

I frowned, not really knowing what to say about that. "How are the kids now?"

"They seem to be doing perfectly fine."

"You have to forgive yourself Henry. How can you move on if you don't?"

He pondered for a while, then a slow, pure smile of appreciation settled on his lips. I couldn't remember the last time a guy looked at me like this, where the look wasn't one filled with disgust, or just pure lust. His eyes were grateful, like that one would give their good friend. I liked the feeling his eyes were giving me.

"I don't know about you but I felt irony passing through. Bloody hell! I think I just came up with a nice opening line to a song. " He suddenly tilted his body to get his phone. "I'm sorry about this. This is basically how I work."

At first I was confused, but finally realized by irony passing through, he was referring to me saying he needed to move on. Clearly that was something I needed to do. What was uppermost in my mind now was watching how frantically he tapped onto his phone, his eyes dancing like a kid that just left a candy store.

"What's happening right now is fucking amazing." I said laughingly.

"You know what? I have an idea," he said smilingly while still going through his phone.

"What?"

"I want to show you The Tavern. But it's all the way on the other side of town, so it would take us at least an hour to get there. But trust me, it would be worth your while. What do you say?"

That inner spark that always lay dormant in him came out and by now it no longer surprised me as much as before. Henry was a party animal underneath a well-mannered mirage. A part of me wondered if he was truly just a bad boy cloaked by the sweetest most benevolent smile.

I already knew that I couldn't keep up with him but now I was wondering about the enormity of all this.

"You're out of your loving mind that's what I say. Henry, it's a Thursday. I have to be at work by at least 8."

"It's only eight o'clock right now. We get there around 9:30, stay for an hour, and I'll have you back by 12. Promise."

I was already on the chopping block at work. If I showed up late tomorrow, how was I going to redeem myself? I hadn't heard back from any employers yet, though I knew Earldet in my resume would help me. I couldn't act out until I knew I had job security elsewhere.

Nonetheless, after Henry and I had just bonded I did want to be around him a bit more. I knew going with him would be irresponsible but all the restlessness and excitement bustling wouldn't let me be rational.

Part of my restlessness came from my docile years, when I should have gotten partying and irresponsibility out of my system. I also selfishly wanted more kisses with his expert lips. Additionally, way he touched me in the kitchen still had me walking on cloud nine. Even sitting on him now, being next to him was almost too much to bare. I recalled Ella telling me how she used to sneak out in high school to her boyfriend's house. I'd always envied not being able to do those things, not just because I came from a strict household, but there were never any guys to experience that with.

Also, when was the next time I was going to do something like this?

"Please," Henry urged softly. "I leave tomorrow, and I want us to have a bit more fun. But if it's too much, I understand. I don't want to be too pushy…"

"Let's go," I said quickly.

Henry's brow furrowed. "Are you sure? Maybe I shouldn't have brought it up. You know what, it might be a bad idea. We can go another time, I'm sorry."

"Don't make me change my mind." I ignored the forlorn look overcoming his face. Clearly he didn't like pressuring others to be uncomfortable or do what he wanted. "Could you give me a different shirt? This one is still a bit wet."

When he saw that I was in it and wanted to give it a try, Henry leaned forward and kissed me. "That's my girl."

His words made my face beet red and I stood up. I knew he didn't mean I was technically his but that didn't mean his words didn't hit me to my gut.

I decided to take them with a grain of salt, not wanting to make a fool out of myself.

This was all for fun, after all.

Chapter 8 by notheruniverse



Chapter 8

A chorus of screams made me flinch and look around anxiously.

Then a large hand quickly swooped mine into theirs and held on firmly.

"All right love?"

I found the green eyes looking down at me concernedly and nodded, gravitating towards his larger body. A slow, taunting smile crept on his lips.

"Scared?" he quipped.

Henry walked with one hand pocketed and I timidly walked beside him on a very busy street on the strip. 

"Me? Scared?" I scoffed, wringing my hand from his holding my head high.

Another ruckus erupted across the street with people calling  as paparazzi followed some celebrity I wasn't even aware of, coupled with incessant clicks and flashes of their cameras. I rushed to Henry's side, sought his hand urgently and guiltily peered up at him to find him smirking with a roll of his eyes.

I playfully bit the his arm, the hardness of it surprising me. Henry only looked down at me, still smirking but now in amusement. His smirk turned into a gentle smile.

"Don't worry. You're safe as long as you're with me."

Henry's words made me pause as a flashback abruptly struck me. Words that should have made me in fact feel secure made me feel the opposite. As if sensing my doubts, Henry squeezed my hand. Somehow that reminded me that he was not that person that made the word become empty.

I squeezed his hand back and curled my other hand right around his elbow, leaning my head against his bicep.

Henry hadn't told me that by an hour away, he actually meant by plane. I started freaking out inside wondering what the hell I was doing. For all I knew Henry could have been some serial killer that was going to drive me to the desert and pummel me with a shovel, then store my axed head in his East London refrigerator. I knew my thoughts were silly but hey, anything could happen, right? This was the kind of trip you took with someone you knew for at least a year, not two weeks. He probably thought I was off my rocker after my rant the first night we met. Regardless, my curiosity of hanging with him more made me follow through with this impromptu trip.

We told Peter and Ella we were just going to go hang out; I got the feeling Henry didn't want to try convincing them to chart a plane to another city at last minute. He also took care of my ticket, purchasing it before I could protest. Luckily Peter didn't live too far from the airport, but with traffic we got there in forty-five minutes.

Henry and I just hang around the airport for thirty minutes before it was boarding time. As we did I couldn't help thinking how I'd never done anything that wasn't planned.

Dad told me the greatest way to success was preparation--in everything in life. Unplanned situations reaped stressful outcomes. For example, my oldest brother was unplanned from both my parents, so it's a no-brainer where that thought process came from.

My life had been so controlled and proper, I was brimming over with excitement and fear so much I wondered if Henry could feel it. Doing something on a whim was scary but it was also invigorating. I liked Henry's easygoing yet adventurous spirit.

When we got to the strip, a taxi drove us downtown, which took another forty minutes. We got to the place by around 10:45.

This was fucking ridiculous but for some reason I loved every ridiculous moment of it.

As we walked down the street, I noted a marked difference comparing this place to Tilden. This city was far more alive, you could feel the energy rising from the ground. People here were loser, louder, and had a more creative fashion sense. For a week day, it was extremely busy.

Henry suddenly stopped and was fishing in his pockets for something. I then heard a beautiful voice among all the noise and looked to my left to see a homeless man in ratty, tattered clothing He was just looking about and singing, not begging. Henry gave him a few bills of money and I followed suit, giving him something. He didn't know but this was a very delicate thing for me.

When we lived in New York City for a while and would often pass homeless people, my father chastised me for giving a homeless woman all of my allowance for that week.

'You don't enable a homeless person. They deserve to be there because they didn't work hard.'

I had never felt right about his comments and even my mother had told him to chill out.

"Thank you, my brother. Thank you sister," he told us both, took the money, and began to sing. Henry took my hand and we started walking again, but I felt something very different from him now. I looked to find his brows knotted in deep concentration. His mouth was also firmly set. It was hard to know what he was thinking and feeling.

I gently placed my other hand over his, which as gentle as the touch was, struck him like he'd been hit by lightning and he looked at me, blinking like he'd just jumped out of a dream.

"You okay?" I asked and the question seemed to make him very surprised.

Suddenly, Henrly looked on top of my head. His eyes lit up.

"Come with me," he said and suddenly started dragging me where his eyes had fixated on. It was a small pizza shop.

"Are you hungry?" he asked me as we both looked at the menu. For a second I eyed him with skepticism because I was hungry. I didn't have enough bangers and mash, and with my strict diet of not eating after 7:00 PM, I couldn't eat now.

"No," I lied. If I focused on other things I wouldn't focus on the hunger, and it wasn't really that bad anyway.

"Do you mind if I get something?" he asked after the guy behind the counter asked Henry what he'd like, reaching for his wallet again. I shook my head and watched as Henry ordered a large cheese pizza. I didn't bother asking why he wanted a large pizza randomly when we were supposed to go dancing, but as I stood there making small talk with him waiting for the order, I realized that I didn't really care what Henry and I did. As long as we were doing it together at the moment.

Fifteen minutes later his order came and instead of us sitting like I thought we would, he held it in on hand while taking hold of my hand again and headed out of the pizza joint. I have to say, I enjoyed the hand holding a lot. Henry seemed to enjoy it too, and there was an air of possessiveness to how he held me. I wasn't a fan of insanely possessive guys but in this situation I really liked it.

Again, I felt…safe, which was weird, cause it's not like my life was in danger or anything.

I was surprised when we started walking in the other direction and I thought he was going to pick some nice spot to eat his pizza, but as we neared the homeless guy again, it finally dawned on me what was happening.

When Henry let go of my hand and hunkered down before the guy, I watched in awe of it all.

"Here you go mate." He placed the box in front of him and opened it. "It might not be much, but it should hold you off for the night."

My mouth slowly opened as I gaped.

Oh crap. Why on earth were my eyes welling with tears?

"Oh son, you didn't have to do this," the homeless guy said guiltily, though I could see the gratitude in his eyes.

"Not a problem sir. You have a good night," Henry said as he stood back up. He looked for me and held his hand out. By then I'd already blinked the tears away before he could see them and basically sprang for his hand.

"You too. God bless you. You will go far in life," the guy said as we walked off.

"Thank you, you too," Henry said.

We walked for a while and I couldn't stop looking at Henry. He finally felt my gaze and smiled down at me.

"What?"

I practically pounced on him when I grabbed his face and gave him the biggest kiss I'd given him to date. I felt Henry smiling as he wrapped his arms around my waist, then he kissed me back, our tongues dancing with each other.

When we pulled back, Henry kept his forehead against mine, his hair tickling my forehead. He was searching my eyes and I was searching his. When I nuzzled his nose, his eyes closed in bliss and he rubbed his nose against mine. My fingers moved from his shirtfront, plowing into his curls to hold his head as I kissed the tip of his nose.  I pecked his soft lips one last time, then held his hand and started walking again.

As we walked, I squeezed his hand. Then he squeezed mine back.

Nothing had to be said.

I was indescribably happy.

***

Just from the outside I could tell that the club was extremely image conscious. Henry and I had cut the extremely long line and the bouncer let us in without even inspecting our attire like I saw him doing to others. We entered the club as the irate people queuing barked insults, but the inside design was so sensational I'd quickly forgotten about them.

The club entered was the biggest one I'd ever seen. Purplish-pink and blue-green transitional lighting illuminated the big room. Sizable diamond chandeliers hang from the high ceiling. What astounded me most were the dancers high up, hoisting themselves only by their hands and bodies on endless white drapes.

While I was taken aback, I liked this ambiance. There were so many different kinds of people, and it reminded me of all the gaming and comic cons that Ella used to help me sneak into when I was in high school as well as conventions that I went to by myself in college. It reminded me of all the different characters and different worlds that were out there.

"Are you sure you're okay with this?" Henry asked as he guardedly walked behind me, his body towering mine. His hand was protectively over my midriff as we maneuvered through the milling bodies. Try as I might, I  couldn't deny how protected I felt. Ugh. He made me all 'gooey' and junk.

Was I okay with this?

Suddenly one of the able-bodied dancers rolled down to a certain point and caught herself on the drapes before continuing to showcase her flexibility. I was about to have a heart attack I thought she was going to fall!

Henry laughed throatily behind, surprising me when he gently held my hips close to his body as we weaved through the heavy crowd.

While I was admiring the design of this high end club, Henry reminded me that I hadn't responded by ghosting his lips against my ear, startling me and sending shivers down my spine. I reached up, my fingers lingering against the slightly rough skin of his clean shaven jaw. He leaned further into me when I touched him, moaning low and pressing a kiss on my outer ear. I clumped my thighs together as a needy throb began.

"Yeah I'm okay with this," I assured him in a trembling voice. My need to touch him more made my hands go up and get lost in the silky curls over his head. Henry nuzzled me hungrily in response.

"I promise to have you back before it gets late," he said then let his lips linger over my ear. As I shivered in delight I blushed at the fact that he did this so openly for the world to see.

"Henry?" I tilted my head back suddenly, turning it in an attempt to look at him.

"Hmm." He lowered his head till his ear was in front of my mouth.

"I'm not going to share with anyone what you told me today," I told him resolutely and he wrapped his arms around my shoulders and squeezed. He was hugging me from behind.

"I know, love." He kissed my temple. "That's why I told you. And I will do the same with what you told me."

God, it felt so good to hear that.

I grinned like the cat that swallowed the canary as Henry's hands found my hips again.

We hadn't waded in the crowd long before people began recognizing Henry. And the recognition was astronomical, to the point where it frightened me quite a bit. I truly learned how stepping into a different city meant stepping into an entirely different culture. I knew some producers were famous, but most people didn't even know who they were really. I wondered if he was this popular because of his looks or what?

The people approaching Henry didn't even bother asking who I was, neither did most of them even spare me a glance. They were talking over Henry so much I assumed that's why he didn't introduce me, but to be honest, I was kind of glad he didn't. I also began to wish he didn't hold me when they approached him. I didn't want to be an embarrassment to him--and I'm sorry if that aggravates you but that's just how I felt.

As I watched the people talking to Henry, I couldn't help but realize how everyone here was glamorous, on a fucking Thursday night. I checked the time to see Henry and I had actually made it a little to 11. I was struck with surprised when I realized what day it would be in an hour, but didn't really have time to mull over that. I was busy thinking how I was dressed in Henry's black Rolling Stones t-shirt, black jeans, and my snazzy but plain loafers. I also had on Henry's orange beanie, which he told me to keep. How did that compare to women in glimmering mini-dresses and six inch heels? The only thing saving me now was my red lipstick. and eyeliner

The more they didn't acknowledge me, the more Peter's earlier words of Henry having women lined up popped in mind. Did this mean they weren't surprised seeing him with a new girl, one who definitely didn't look like she was from West Hollywood?

He must have sensed part of my apprehension because his fingers pressed into my thighs when I tried to inch away from him a few times. I placed my hands on his with the intention to pull them down, but was surprised by how good they felt and ended up just resting my hands over his.

I got used to the folks coming to us until this gorgeous, tall, slender woman approached us that was the most glamorous of them all. She looked so familiar and then it hit me. Madison Anderson, famously known just as Madison. She was a singer and budding box-office actress. She'd had a mega-hit single years ago and just last year was the leading lady in a blockbuster super-hero movie.

She also modeled, unsurprisingly. She reminded me of Miranda Kerr only with a slightly longer face and blonde hair down to her waist. Miranda fucking Kerr guys. Where was the shovel for me to start on that grave?

The dress she wore hugged her svelte figure like a glove and there wasn't an ounce of fat on her body. Everything worked in perfect harmony and she was as effortlessly graceful as a swan. She wore a lace top that stopped right at her ribcage, and a matching hip-hugging skirt that started beneath her bellybutton. I envied the smooth skin of her long, pencil-thin waist and suddenly wanted to break into an run. What the hell was Henry thinking bringing me here dressed like I was going to work in his fucking garden?! Then again, he did ask me if he could buy me something to wear when we were on the way to the airport. I adamantly said no, so I guess there was his warning of the dress code.

Her hair was shiny, healthy, and voluminous. With dark roots, it was an assortment of platinum blond to dirty blond. The strands were side swept from the right side, falling in lustrous bouncy curls over her left shoulder down to her waist.

This is why I didn't hang around men like Henry Walker. They dated women like Madison Anderson. Now they made perfect sense. I don't care how bitter or insecure I sounded. I was just being honest with how I felt at the time.

"Henry!!!" she beamed, revealing toothpaste-ad teeth, opening one arm out to him, the other holding a champagne glass.

"Madison! Hey!" Henry greeted her and relief washed over me when he let go of my hips to give her a hug.

"I kept hearing people saying you walked in and when I finally saw you I felt I just had to come and say hi! I didn't expect you to be here today!!"

I'd met a couple of celebrities who'd endorsed one of my father's most successful past product so I rarely got star struck, but Madison had me speechless. There are just those women in the world who are blessed with beauty so breathtaking no one could deny it.

I could tell she had minimal make up, no freckles like me, and her long lashes were hers alone. I truly hoped Henry would forget I was around. I still had time to make a clean exit. 

"You look amazing, as usual," Henry's deep voice said beside me after they'd pulled back. She was only about an inch shorter than him, so she had to be at least a 6 in heels.

I looked down at my lame loafers and at her designer open toe shoes. Even her freaking toes were prettier than mine!

"You do too! Wow it's been a while!" she exclaimed.

Her picture-perfect, red-lipped smile faltered as she eyed him. There was emotion hiding behind her eyes. Oh great, let me guess, she'd also fallen for Henry's charms.

I was frowning to myself when she broke her gaze away from his and looked at me. I waited for the demeaning sizing up that I was sure to come. I was about to tell her 'yeah I know I don't stand a chance just go on and take him' when she surprised me and smiled kindly, unlike what most women would have done seeing me next to Henry the hunk.

"Hey! I'm Madison!" She introduced herself very warmly and I nearly slapped her perfectly slender hand away. Yeah, she even had a nice personality and brimmed over with confidence. I fucking lost. If my father could hear my defeating thoughts right now I'd be getting a spanking. He hated losers.

"I know you. I'm Valerie. Henry's friend."

I felt weird saying that, but I didn't want her to get the idea that I would even think Henry would ever have me as a girlfriend. I wasn't stupid to how the world worked.

"I love your shirt!"

"It's Henry's," I said dumbly, not really knowing what else to say. Her eyes widened in a shock I wasn't surprised by.

"Oh! Yeah he's crazy about them," she said, her smile faltering a little.

"You're so fucking pretty," I blurted with a worried frown and she laughed, her cerulean blue eyes shimmering in the dim club.

"Oh no, please. You are gorgeous! I love your freckles!"

"Thanks," I murmured dryly. I should have worn more make up. I was like a deflated balloon now with all the confidence sucked out of me.

"So how have you been?" Henry asked her and I looked to find him smiling at her the way he did everyone else. I was surprised he wasn't lapping her up now. This was torture for me and I just felt humiliated. Yes, fucking sue me for being insecure, I don't care.

"I'm gonna get a drink," I excused myself and was surprised when Henry reached for my hand.

"I'll get you one too, don't worry." I managed to wrest my hand from his hold.

I turned away from his preoccupied expression and hurried away from them. It took me a long while. On the way there some really drunk guy grabbed me and started rubbing his groin all over me, making his friends laugh. I pushed him off and finally made my way to the bar, not sure if I could handle the heart of this crowd.

They were crazy.

Signaling the waiter at an L.A. club was like a damn task you had to have skill to do. It took me ages to find a spot at the bar and then my voice wasn't loud enough. This end of the club wasn't as bad as the frenzied dance floor though so I decided to just chill there for a while, wondering why I always resorted to immature antics whenever a pretty woman came around.

Frustrated by my lack of experience and confidence, I searched the crowd and was surprised by how easily I found Henry. He stood out without really trying to. He and Madison were both speaking. She looked a bit worried but Henry either was the most pleasant person on earth or he had the best poker face known to man because he didn't look fazed by what she was saying. She lowered her head and Henry cupped one side of her long, slender neck, his head dipped as he tried to convince her something. 

Trying to ignore the jealousy coursing through me, I looked around and noted how good looking many of the guys here were. They took care of themselves well. At a round of laughter to my right, I glanced down the length of the bar and did a double take when I saw a mop of dark curls. When I took in the guy's face, I swore to myself that Henry Walker was at the bar, only he was wearing a simple black shirt, not the blue denim he'd walked in with, and no longer had his hat.

I confusedly looked back over where Henry originally was and when I saw that he was still talking to Miss Perfect, I looked at the bar and saw his look alike again. My gaze averted between the two in disbelief for many seconds. This was just creepy as all fuck. Why did he look exactly like him? Who the hell was he?

A small tagging of my sleeve made me turn to find a familiar face in front of me. With the insane lighting of the club, it took me a while to search my memory to ID the face.

"Valerie, right?" the woman asked.

"Yeah…"

"Hey!!! I'm Savannah. Don't know if you remember me."

The moment she uttered her name, a bulb went off in my head. The woman I'd met at Margaret's who rode with Henry.

"I remember you. I thought you would hate me…" I cut right to the chase, finding her friendliness a bit weird. She hadn't been all smiley when she walked in on Henry and I kissing. She stopped sipping from the tiny straw of her margarita.

"Why? Oh cause of Henry!" she waved me off, moving her shoulders to the beat of the song as she admired the crowd. "Oh no. It's just another week, another girl, nothing new with Walker." She paused when she realized what she'd said, but it was too late, the words already stung. She looked at me, mildly apologetic. "I'm sure you're cool though, no offense."

"None taken…" I looked to the bartender who was tending to a patron whose pendulous breasts clearly got his attention. She'd arrived at the bar after me. I started to get agitated.

"Wont you get my fucking drink I've been here for a while!" I yelled with no manners. I may have been insecure but even I had my limits for being a pushover. He didn't hear me, but it did make Savannah laugh.

"Here, let me help you." She handed me her margarita and I nearly dropped it from surprised when she climbed her tiny, limber body onto the bar like a pro. Clearly not her first time doing this kind of thing. With a few drinks in her system, she nearly fell, leaning onto some random guy that was enjoying the view from below up her mini skirt. A few hoots and whistles went around, but the bartender eyed her angrily.

"You're gonna have to get down. We don't do that kind of thing here!" he told her caustically.

"Well get my friend a drink cause she's been here. And it better be on the house before I say it was discrimination."

My mouth dropped. I don't think the bartender was being racist but rather preoccupied and you had to go through great lengths to get his attention. A quick perusal of the club would show that I was one of the few blacks here though so I knew Savannah was using that excuse.

"There's cameras so I know he'll see when she came in," she went on.

The bartender was cowed, his jaw flexing as he eyed Savannah down.

"Um, Savannah, it's okay!" I tried to catch her attention. "I'm not really that thirsty. I don't want to cause a scene…"

We were drawing a crowd.

"Savannah, this is why you need to be my fucking bird!" A loud, deep, British voice said down the bar.

"You can't handle me Ben!" she said laughingly at the person I couldn't see now cause of all the many bodies at the bar.

"What drink does she want?" the bartender asked discontentedly.

Savannah smiled satisfactorily, searching the cheering folks at the bar until she found me.

"What do you want?"

"Uh," I felt put on the spot, as the bartender cut his eyes at me. Oh god. Maybe attention just wasn't my thing. But a small part of me liked this little sense of rebellion in Savannah. It was starting to rub off on me for I remembered all the years I followed the rules and catered to people's needs and wants. Why not, just for one night, couldn't I just not be the good daughter, student, and friend? Hell, especially after what day it would be in an hour, why the hell not?

I decided then just to spite him and have a bit of fun and smiled up at Savannah. "Surprise me!" 

Savannah grinned and faced the bartender. "Triple Espresso Martini. And a double shot Fireball."

"Fine. Now get off my bar before I call security!"

Savannah giggled as she climbed down, and I was gaping as I helped her down.

"You are crazy!" I said as I returned her drink, which she downed in one go, wincing and holding onto my arm as it zinged through her.

"Next time you come in," She pointed with a grimace at my shirt. "Dress a bit better. I don't even know how they let you in like this."

"I didn't know I was coming here. Henry invited me for dinner and so I thought I'd just be at the house."

"He can cook his ass off, can't he?"

So he cooked for everyone. It wasn't a special occasion. Not that I cared or anything. If I could cook like him, I'd cook for everybody.

"Yeah…" I muttered.

My drinks came and I was about to start with the martini when Savannah stopped me.

"Take the shot now. It will loosen you up quicker."

I hesitated before downing the shot, shocked as the cinnamon flavor left a burning trail down my throat. I felt it almost instantly, especially on my empty stomach. My guardedness quickly lowered down a notch. 

The small crowd that had formed around Savannah drifted off, especially after she shooed off a couple of guys that tried to hit on her.

Curiously I sought Henry and saw now that he was talking not only to Madison but another guy with glasses standing with them.

I caught her attention and pointed in their direction. "Who's the girl standing with Henry?"

"You don't know who Madison is?"

"I mean how do they know each other?"

"That's his ex."

My mouth nearly hit the floor as I gaped. "Huh?"

"Yeah they dated a while ago. She's so fucking gorgeous it makes me sick."

His ex?!?! They were so fucking friendly. Well, not every couple had an armageddon break up. But she seemed so nice and gorgeous, just like him. The perfect match. So how and why were they not together?

I was at a loss of what to say and do and was a bit glad I'd left their side.

"She kills your confidence too, huh?" she handed me my martini, which I'd yet to touch. "Here. Start on this."

I didn't hesitate to imbibe the drink.

"You seem like a nice girl, Valerie, but here's a word of advice, don't take him seriously. I love Henry, trust me, but he's not going to settle down, especially after what Madison did to him."

"What did she do?"

"You really are showing that you're out of town. She cheated on him with his best friend, who was also his writing partner."

"What?? She cheated on him?"

I tried to think of why anyone would cheat on a sweetheart like Henry, then who knew what his other sides were like?

"And anyway, Henry's hard to tie down. I know you already know he's a good kisser, but don't expect anything out of it other than fun. He's a notorious flirt. He can make anyone feel special and important. I'm just saying, play the game to have fun, but play it safe."

Why did I think that it was too late to play things safe? Was him telling me one of the most troubling things in his life just a game of fun? Why would he reveal that information to someone he just wanted to have fun with? Then again, Henry and I could seemingly talk about almost everything. Maybe that's why he could talk to me?

"You seem like a good girl. Don't mess with a guy from Hollywood, take it from me. I'm dating one who I know is fucking another girl as we speak. None of them will ever settle down or be faithful, even when they're 60. Hollywood men have peter pan syndrome. They want to be young forever. They will always want to be their glory twenty-year old selves and prove that they still got it. They like knowing that they can do anything if they try hard enough. So they will always look for something, anything new to conquer. It's more of an ego thing. Just know your place in their world and you will be good."

All of this was too hard to process. Everything that had happened between us happened in such a quick flurry that I hadn't really stopped to think about these things.

But what did it matter to me anyway? I knew what Henry and I were doing. I appreciated what Savannah was telling me, but it just didn't matter to me. I knew where I stood and he knew were he stood.

We knew what we were doing…I think.

What were we doing again?

"How do you know I'm a good girl?" I asked, my inexperience always making me defensive and Savannah looked at me like I'd just asked her how she knew one plus one was two. 

"You look scared to be here. I can tell this isn't your scene. But hey, looks can be deceiving, right? As long as you know what you're getting into, who am I to give you the warnings of doom? My only advice is, don't put too much stock into it. Take it from someone who made the mistake of falling for him once."

It's not like Savannah was talking out of her ass. He did say he wasn't looking for a relationship, yet he wouldn't stop kissing me. Why the hell was that edging it's way into my brain to distress me when I clearly had no intentions of being close to anyone relationship wise?

Kissing was just a physical act that I enjoyed with Henry. That's all. I also liked talking to him, this afternoon had proven.

"Do you still like him?" I asked Savannah.

"The guy can cook. What's not to still like?"

I stirred my drink, staring at it quietly. "Have you slept with him?"

A part of me appreciated that I could have an honest discussion with Savannah without censoring myself.

"Yep. All nice eight, thick, inches."

My cheeks colored and I asked breathlessly. "Eight inches?!"

"Maybe nine. Or maybe I'm just exaggerating. Whatever size he was, he knew how to use it, when, where, why. He's good. Pretty good. One of my all time favs."

I stared at Savannah speechlessly. 

"I was single and deluded at the time," she continued as she stared at the crowd, watching Henry too. "Said he wasn't looking for anything serious then wallah, all of a sudden he ends up with the model bitch Madison." She chuckled with a shake of her head. "Nice guys. They are such fucking lying jerks. They say looks don't matter and look who they end up with? I'd rather a guy who just says flat out, hey I only do blondes, but i'll do your kind for the moment, instead of saying 'I like all kinds of women…but somehow always end up with stick figure blonds!' Honest jerks are always better than nice jerks. Nice people don't tell you the truth, they tell you what you want to hear"

"Thanks for telling me, Savannah. Although, fuck you because you're beautiful so I don't know what you're talking about."

"Compared to Miranda?"

"Both of you are beautiful."

"I see you been hanging out around Henry a lot. Getting that 'be nice at all costs' home training. You sure he hasn't dicked you down yet?"

"I think I'd know if eight or nine thick inches had dicked me down."

Savannah's lilting laugh followed. "You know what Valerie? You're not so bad."

"You're not so bad yourself."

 

We drank quietly for a while.

 

"How can you still hang around him after all that though?"

She sighed and eyed me tiredly. "Okay, so maybe I was exaggerating about him being a jerk. Don't quote me. He's not really a jerk. He's just genuinely a nice, cool, person to hang around. It's so hard to be mad at him. And anyway, he never made any promises to me from the jump. I dug a hole by myself."

I nodded and eyed the crowd again.

"Well, I wasn't expecting a relationship from him anyway. I'm not a relationship person," I said with conviction. "I know I may look like it, but I'm really not. I don't have the time or the energy."

Savannah just shrugged and I knew she didn't care either way. The loud British voice from the bar sounded again and I looked over.

"Who is that? He looks just like Henry."

"Where the hell have you been? Haven't you heard of A-Live?"

"What? I think. I don't know?"

"The budding boy band? That song Love Me?"

The name sounded familiar. I didn't listen to the radio much or watch TV. I normally only heard new songs when I was shopping at the mall or at the club. When I continued to stare at her blankly she continued. "Henry produced and co-wrote the song?"

He'd produced and written many songs. I didn't know all of them.



"Well, I guess I can't blame you. Their fame is mostly limited to young internet girls. That's Ben. His younger brother."

I was genuinely floored. "What?!"

"Yep."


Savannah pulled out her phone, tapped a few keys and showed me another version of Henry, only with blue eyes and black curly hair. He had dimples too and that same boyish grin.

 

"Wow," I said in shock."How old is he?"

 

"Twenty."

 

We now both watched as he laughed around with his friends. I could have mistaken them for identical twins. Even their mannerisms were hauntingly alike. The faces they made when they laughed, the way they smiled, although it was obvious that Ben was the more animated of the two, with Henry the more mellowed version. Ben looked like he could bounce off the walls at any moment.

So I'd just learned that his ex was a model and the younger brother he told me he had was in a huge boy band? Why hadn't Ella mentioned this to me? To be fair, she only really interacted with Henry whenever I did, which hadn't been much. I guess Peter hadn't mentioned it?

When I had searched Henry's profile online, I didn't remember reading anything about his brother. Maybe there'd been a line about it and I skimmed over. I'd honestly been more interested about his career and what songs he'd done than anything else really. I needed to go back and research.

"Need another shot? You look fucking lost."

I just realized that I'd finished my martini. For some reason, I had a good hunch that this was going to be a long night.

"I'll take another…"

Chapter 9 by notheruniverse

 

 

 

Chapter 9

 

"You've never had an orgasm? Like, never? At 26?"

 

"Never." I'm not sure how we got to that conversation and I'm not sure how I divulged it to someone I just started talking to, then when I glanced at the tall drink in front of me, I knew how. Alcohol.

 

"What is wrong with your life?!?!" Savannah asked in disbelief. She even seemed distraught by the mere thought.

 

I shrugged and sipped on my Long Island. I mentally professed that this would be my last one. I don't even think I could finish it.

 

It was meant to be for Henry. After talking a bit with Savannah I decided to go back and find Henry so that he wouldn't have to worry about my whereabouts. Only when I tried to go find him, he was no longer in the same spot. I realized then that at least standing at the bar I felt secure as long as I could see him from my vantage but now I felt kind of vulnerable and it was all my fault. When I checked my phone I saw that he'd texted me three times but I hadn't even noticed it, which was surprising because my phone was on vibrate and was in my pant pockets.

 

Henry: Hey, don’t walk away like that again. Hurry back, will you? I don't need a drink either

 

A few minutes later he sent: K. Getting worried. Where are you?

 

And a while later he sent.

 

Henry: Shouldn't have let you walk away. I'm worried like hell now.

 

Feeling horrible for causing him worry, I responded.

 

Valerie: I's sorRy Hen. At bar. Comin

 

Texting was a chore and a half because I was clearly very inebriated. I'd never gotten a double shot anything and they were hitting me hard. His response text came back instantaneously.

 

Henry: No. Stay. I'll come. There are three bars. Which one are you at?

 

I looked around blearily and could only describe it as the one next to the VIP section.

 

Henry: Coming. Don't move

 

"Who was that?" Savannah asked invasively. She had to be on her ninth drink. Some guy was standing behind her who I'm sure wasn't her boyfriend.

 

Thankfully I didn't have to answer cause the guy spun her around to grind against her front. I'd been propositioned a couple of times, but my average clothes seemed to discourage them and to be honest I preferred it that way. I'd wasted an entire night I could have spent with Henry by avoiding him because of those stupid, pitiful insecurities.

 

I was laying my head in my hands, wondering why I'd acted so stupidly. Why did I leave his side especially when I didn't even know this place? Why always question my decisions after fucking making them every single time I did something dumb? It's no wonder  Ella was so tired of me. I was tired of myself and I was tired of telling myself that I had to change.

 

I was bumped into and soon heard Savannah start on about her boyfriend Mark.

 

With my throbbing head in my hands and my elbows on the bar counter, I was barely following her until I suddenly felt warm arms snaking around my waist along with the deep voice that always made me lost my sanity.

 

"Might I know why you never came back to me?"

 

I turned my heavy head to my side and saw Henry glancing down at me with relief, but also a frown he was trying hard to keep off. I suddenly had a strong urge to kiss him.

 

I smiled weakly at him. "Walker…"

 

"Hey Henry!" Savannah's voice pierced behind me and I winced.

 

Henry's frown turned to a straight, unimpressed line, the light in his eyes dying out as he looked at her. 

 

"I see who you've been hanging out with…" he murmured tonelessly, his hold on me more firm as he drew me closer to him.

 

"She's fucking awesome by the way." Savannah patted my back. "I like her."

 

"How much did you give her to drink?" The slight reproach in Henry's tone was something I'd never heard. His behavior was also very guarded. I'd not seen him treat anyone like that.

 

"How much did I give her?" Savannah was clearly taken aback by his behavior which I'm sure not many people got. "You mean how much did she take? She's a grown woman Henry." Savannah huffed. I dizzily watched her turn away from him, snaking through the crowd.

 

I wondered what her caustic reaction was about. Something told me there was a little more to their friendship than what I was seeing on the surface. While we were at the bar discussing a plethora of subjects, Savannah told me how she met Henry--through her brother. They'd been childhood friends both with an interest in music, and Savannah said she was always the girl in the background that had a crush on him but was never taken seriously until she was much older. By seriously, she meant a short 'hook up' stint they had.

 

It made me a bit conflicted. She professed she had no problem with me hooking up with Henry, certain it would be a short fling that would fizzle out before next week began, so she had no problem telling me this information. Still, I began to feel strange being the one she was telling, but with both of us having our guards down, there was barely a filter in our discussion. Except for how irritable she became when I asked about her brother.

 

I had a strong feeling that Savannah still had feelings for Henry, but I guess that went without saying.

 

I looked from the crowd at Henry who was busily looking at his phone and felt my nipples hardening at his concentrated expression. It never failed to get me hot and bothered. But more importantly, I felt like I'd ruined the night. How many things had I ruined around him, would apologizing even mean anything at this point?

 

Constant apologies were a norm in my life. When you grew up constantly being told what you were always doing wrong, what else were you supposed to do?

 

"I'm sorry, Henry. Are you mad at me?" I felt pitiful even as I asked. Annoyed with myself. I don't even know why he kept giving me chances at this point.

 

"What?" Henry asked distractedly, almost scowling at his phone. Whoever he was texting obviously had him in a bad mood.

 

"I said I was sorry if I pissed you off…" I repeated and when he stashed his phone away, he focused on me like I was the only one in the room. It made me blush and nearly attempt to hide under the stool I was sitting on. Sometimes I didn't think I could handle him.

 

He searched my face and I lowered my gaze from his, feeling bad over my behavior. I heard him sighing as he spoke, his voice without the hard edge he had when talking to Savannah. 

 

"No. Just don't leave like that again. I shouldn’t have let you leave." He trapped my chin and tilted my head back, forcing my eyes on him. "Are you okay?"

 

"Mmm.." I nodded and Henry's eyes dropped to my lips and lingered. A flurry of desire went through me as I knew what crossed his mind.

 

"Are you?" I asked, in disbelief over how breathless he could quickly get me.

 

He lowered his head as he murmured. "I'm fine. I think we should leave now."

 

My glazed over eyes drifted closed as I got ready for the kiss.

 

"Chase!!!"

 

Out of the blue, Henry staggered forward but quickly placed a cautious hand on the bar, catching himself before he could topple over me. His eyes were wide in shock as an arm curled around his neck and legs wrapped around his waist from behind.

 

When the intruder finally hopped back and Henry straightened to look over his shoulder, I saw that it was his brother, Ben.

 

As startled as he was, Henry couldn't conceal the joy lighting up his eyes as his brother hauled himself at him for a hug. He was probably an inch shorter than Henry, I noted as the two hugged.

 

"Why didn't you tell me you'd be here today?" There was slight irritation lacing Henry's voice, but it couldn't override the joy he obviously felt over seeing family.

 

"Didn't know you'd be here either, bro," Ben quipped and I was once again struck by how identical they were.

 

"What are you doing here? Don't you guys have a show early morning?"

 

I enjoyed seeing Henry's 'no-nonsense' expression that most protective older brothers had over their younger siblings.

 

"Don't start with me." Ben covered his unworried lopsided grin bringing the long beer can to his mouth. After a sound gulp, he looped an arm over Henry's shoulder, looking up at him adoringly. "Good to see you though, man. I didn't think you'd be here early."

 

Henry's features softened and he fought a smile. The devotion for his brother was clear as he mirrored his admiration.

 

"It was last minute." Henry explained and reached for me but was cut off.

 

"Still coming to the show?" Ben's blue eyes were so hopeful and although they looked like twins I truly saw the youth in him compared to Henry.

 

"Of course." He looked in my direction. "I'd like you to meet Valerie."

 

Ben's eyes sought mine and his lazy smirk widened as he held his hand out to me. "Hello Val Heroine."

 

Ben's eyes were swimming. He was as drunk as a skunk. Henry's eyes widened and I could tell he was embarrassed as he shoved him on his shoulder but had to catch him right after because he was off balance. 

 

"Really, Ben?" he exclaimed disapprovingly.

 

At my laugh, Henry's defensiveness lowered a tad, but he still shook his head and rolled his eyes at his brother.

 

"You sound the same. It's creepy as hell," I tactlessly said, still trying my hardest to hold my head up.

 

"We get that a lot," they said in unison and while Ben laughed, Henry just shook his head with a smile.

 

"She's so fucking fit," Ben said while looking behind me, already having lost interest in whoever I was. It came to my attention that his brother was the only person he'd bothered to introduce me to. I didn't know how to read that.

 

I looked over my shoulder to see who Ben was talking about, not particularly sure what 'fit' meant, but by the hungry look in his eyes I'm sure it was something good. When I saw he was talking about Savannah, I wasn't surprised because she was a stunner.

 

Henry moved his lips to his brother's ear and I couldn't hear what he said, but his features were slightly hardened when he pulled back.

 

"You don't trust someone you grew up with?" Ben asked loudly, the wideness of his eyes showing me that he was still very wet behind the ears about many social situations in this town. Like me.

 

Henry sighed and shook his head impatiently at his brother's incapability to be discreet. It seemed this was a conversation he didn't want to have around me but Henry went on somberly as if realizing there was really no use since Ben was in a no-holds-barred phase of drinking. 

 

Henry could have brought it up another time but it seemed imperative enough for him to bring it up now at the risk of me hearing.

 

"She's changed," he said simply.

 

Ben rolled his eyes and sighed.

 

"Everyone who comes to Hollywood changes."

 

"And you better not," Henry admonished in a castigating tone that made Ben pause in all his intoxication.

 

"Do we have to have this conversation here? Now?" Ben cringed, taking another swig of beer. "I'm just having fun for Pete's sake."

 

Henry eyed the beer can disdainfully, then up at his brother critically before sighing with resignation.

 

"Yeah well. Watch out. You're hammered enough as it is," Henry said grimly.

 

Clearly happy that Henry was finally off his back, Ben gave him a parting pat on the back. Suddenly remembering my presence, his eyes swung my way and he grinned, bright eyed. "Well Valerie with no other title, my friends are calling. Nice to meet you."

 

I ignored the perturbed look Henry shot him and smiled. "Nice to meet you too--"

 

"Oh my god!! Could you two take a picture with us?!?"

 

My view of the guys was obscured by four young women who bulldozed them, unable to keep still. One of them started to cry profusely in front of Ben, who was soaking it all up. He wore an empathizing expression  as he rounded her up into a hug while she gushed to him. Ben handled it like a pro.

 

On the other hand, Henry tried to console the girl too but was being badgered by the others. He seemed stuck in a rut trying to placate the other girls who gushed about how he was the hottest older brother on earth, all while trying to catch my attention.

 

I waved him off with an assuring smile while mouthing. "Go on. It's okay."

 

It's not like he had a choice, Ben pulled him in for the picture and he plastered a smile on his face as he accommodated them. The only problem is they attracted more fans of Ben who wanted pictures with both of them. The young women were so eager to get their picture they blocked me from them, and that's when Savannah dragged me from my chair.

 

"Hey, let's go have fun with some ice," Savannah said in hushed tones. I couldn't truly understand what she was saying, she'd grabbed me off the stool so fast it made my head spin and I had to lean against her because I nearly fell.

 

"Ice? What's that?" I stumbled over my unsteady feet, nearly knocking both Savannah and I down. My question was so funny and amusing to her she couldn't stop laughing.

 

"You crack me up, Val."

 

"Wait, Savannah, hold on. I can't leave Henry--"

 

"Hey."

 

A stronger hold on my other wrist stopped me and I turned to find Henry. He gently gathered me up against him, and the leery look he gave Savannah earlier back.

 

"We're leaving," he told her tersely and her eyes darted to his hand over mine. The jealousy that hit her features surprised me, mirroring the look she had when she walked in on us kissing at Margaret's. I started to feel extremely dumb for thinking we could just talk normally in a friendly manner.

 

"Who did you come with?" Henry asked her next, his voice a bit relaxed, but that made Savannah react like a hissing cat.

 

"Like you fucking care." Her eyes dropped to me. "Don't forget, Valerie. Hollywood. Have fun while it lasts."

 

I watched in confusion as Savannah got swallowed by the crowd as she left us.

 

"What the hell does that mean?" Henry asked at her departing figure. I looked up at him, suddenly very weary and confused. When he felt my gaze he looked down at me, his features softening into a frown.

 

"I'm sorry."

 

I didn’t know what he was sorry for. I'm the one who ran off like a chicken without a head when I saw his beautiful ex. With my defenses down though I didn't feel the need to escape him when I thought of her. Instinct made my hands lock at his nape like I had a right to do so. Like he was mine to do so.

 

"Why?" My head lolled back as I gazed up at him with eyes probably glazed over from inebriation, enjoying his supreme height over mine.

 

His eyes became less contrite at my openness and his arms snaked around my waist. "About tonight. I didn't know my brother would be here."

 

"He's cuter than you," I giggled for no reason and Henry's eyes narrowed though the dimple on his left cheek deepened as he broke into a genuine smile. My heart fluttered. I think I lived for that dimple.

 

"Why are you so damn cute, Valerie?" there was a bit of frustration in his voice as he hungrily eyed my lips.

 

"Your brother is in a boy band," I said, idly admiring his neck. Henry nodded.

 

"His fans are…dedicated. Wherever he goes, they follow. It wasn't meant to be like this, I swear."

 

He was so cute when he was apologizing. I smiled as I snuggled closer to him. By the way his eyes lit up he could tell I was enjoying this very much. I was just trying to catch up on things I felt I'd missed out on, like having your arms around a guy's neck like he was yours. I'd just pretend for now that he was.

 

"What was it meant to be like?" I asked.

 

"More fun. You ready to leave?" he asked next, looking a bit preoccupied himself.

 

"Nope.  I haven't spent time with you here."

 

"We can do that elsewhere."

 

I playfully tried to push him away from me.

 

"Why, hiding me from the other titleless women of yours?" I teased, then put my hand over my mouth. Obviously Ben's words still stuck with me.

 

I thought he would be put off by my words but his eyes only widened in surprise, then mild amusement. He smirked and moved towards me, only for me to press my palm against his chest as I backed up.

 

"I have to go pee," I told him as I lazily turned my head back and forth hoping I'd find it.

 

"Come on."

 

Henry guided me to the restroom, obviously knowledgeable about this place. The restrooms were a sight, with friends helping each other walk. I walked by a stall where I was pretty sure they were sniffing cocaine. I'd never been faced with anything like this and hurried out when I was done. I was relieved when I found Henry waiting outside, a girl already trying to talk to him.

 

He hadn't noticed me coming out, so I just stop there waiting with my hands docilely behind me. He looked like he was politely listening to what the woman had to say as she prattled probably the same sentiments those women were earlier. He finally looked towards the female restrooms as though waiting for me to come out, and when he saw me, he excused himself from the woman who didn't look too pleased about him leaving her. When he started for me, I playfully took a step back, making Henry pause. Then a slow smirk lifted the left side of his lips and a spark lit his eyes as he began to pursue me. I kept backing up until there was no room behind me. When I tried to sidestep to my escape, Henry blocked me, both hands stamped on either wall. I was literally cornered, and he loomed over me while I shrank beneath him. I was throbbing and aching all over. I wanted him. Badly. More than I'd ever wanted anyone else.

 

"Now where were you running to?"  he asked, his eyes hotly looking over me. He made me feel so shy I lifted the collar of my t-shirt up till my nose to conceal my blushing cheeks. Henry chortled softly, then leaned down, making my heart race. Heavily lidded, he pressed his lips against mine. The sensation the fabric gave me when he brushed his lips against mine made me shudder and squirm.

 

I didn't know what to expect when Henry lifted his lips, brushing them at the tip of my nose. He then used his teeth to peel off the collar from covering my face, gently tugging it down, lowering his neck with the cloth until his lips were right at my collar bone. I closed my eyes, stiffening as his tongue danced around the earlier hickey he gave me. He kissed his way up my neck, alternating to one side of my neck with each kiss, rising till he kissed the lips he'd wanted to reveal so much.

 

With a last ounce of my strength, only because I knew I couldn't handle it, I shook my head, marring the attempt of his nibbling lips. "Mm. Mm."

 

"Why not?" Henry asked in an easy-going manner, a small smirk on his lips.

 

"What do you see me as?" I found myself asking stupidly and his eyebrows lifted, creasing his brow.

 

"What?" Henry asked in genuine surprise and I looked to my side avoidantly.

 

I closed my eyes and started to move my head from side to side and snap my fingers merrily when a Ciara song came on. "This is my song. My bodyyy is your partyyyy."

 

"How many pints have you had, Valerie?" Henry asked instead. I didn't answer him and continued to dance in my own little world. I suddenly felt a pair of warm lips on my ear and a deep voice that made me jump.

 

"Valerie..." the ticklish sensation made me laugh and I opened my eyes to find his eyes full of humor over how I was behaving.

 

"What?"

 

"How much have you had to drink?" he asked a bit more seriously even though it was obviously hard for him not to let the lust in his eyes burn into me. That very lust made me as hot as it made me circumspect. So I was the girl of the week, as Savannah had said. I shouldn't have taken her words as gospel but for some reason looking at Henry in his beautiful, long-lashed eyes made me wonder.

 

"Am I a fucking…like rebound?" I held my heavy head in my other hand and continued distressfully, aware but not really careful about the words I was spewing. "Or like a rag doll? I don't know…I don't care. Just want to know…I don't want to be used again. I want apples. Apple pie. I haven't had dessert in a while, have you?"

 

Henry was gnawing his lip and rested his forearm right above my head against the wall. "You're seriously fucked right now"

 

"Not yet."

 

Henry lifted his eyebrows, obviously surprised by my uncharacteristic speech. He released his smirking bottom lip and watched me with eyes that danced in fascination. Then his expression turned into one of deliberation. He did that a lot and I was getting used to it.

 

Was he trying to figure me out? I wasn't used to that, except for this one time. It made me close my eyes and try to get lost in the music because I didn't want to let the negative thoughts destroy what I thought of Henry. I was mouthing the words imagining that I was sexy enough to sing them to Henry, and I helplessly reopened my eyes, hoping those eyes of intrigue were still watching me: they were.

 

Coming to his own private conclusion, Henry smirked, shaking his head with his head bowed.

 

"Sweet, sweet, Valerie, don't say things like that to me." His hands found my waist as he stepped closer to me, his touch making me suck my breath even in my influenced state. Henry's green eyes singed into mine as he went on.

 

"You don't know what you're getting yourself into."

 

A trickle of anticipation and trepidation went through me and I stopped dancing. He'd reclaimed his turf once again, reducing me to a pile of nerves that didn't know how to coordinate themselves around him. I needed some ground. I didn't like how he made me feel like I was losing to him, falling weak to his whims.

 

It wasn't really hard to do. With that irresistible look in his eyes, and with my guard lowered to extreme unthreatening levels, I couldn't hide how much I wanted Henry. In that moment I indulged myself in his eyes that sparkled with a want and fire that seemed ready to scorch my clothes off, bounteous hair in need of touching, pouty lip asking for a kissing, and exposed neck that screamed for a touching and just pretended that all those belonged to me.

 

Moreso the poignant charisma, that thing about Henry Walkers that kept you wanting more; I pretended that it was all mine.

 

"I'm being honest." I teasingly coiled a couple strands around my finger eying him in a seductive manner I hadn't freely done with anyone but one person in my life ever, mostly only in my fantasies.

 

I said to him something I could only say in my dreams. "I haven't been fucked. I want to be fucked." I paused then added fearlessly. "By you."

 

The furnace in Henry's eyes grew, his jaw flexing sporadically. His hands smoothing down to my hips and squeezing and I sucked in a breath when he pressed his hardness against my belly.

 

"You don't want me to do that, pretty girl," he said matter-of-factly, his features unnaturally serious.

 

I gulped hard and pressed my back against the wall, putting some distance between us. I shifted my weight from one side to the other, and lifted my chin, trying my hardest to mask my mounting anxiety but moreso anticipation. I had never wanted something, someone so much, and it scared me.

 

"Or what? The walls will come tumbling down?"

 

"You have no idea," Henry grumbled with a slow shake of his head, making my chest twist with anticipation. A small, helpless sound that resounded how I truly felt--weak, helpless vulnerable, but desirable--escaped my lips.

 

He pressed his lips on the corner of my parted lips, then gently worked small kisses along my bottom lip. He caught my lip in his teeth, pulling and letting go to watch it bounce back. He seemed to enjoy this obscene gesture, his eyes smirking as he rubbed his lips against mine.

 

"You were right when you said I need to be careful around you. You're the dangerous kind."

 

I stared at him unable to say another word.

 

"The spark in your eyes that you try to fight. Those freckles. Your smile." His lips ghosted over mine and his voice became lower and gravelly.

 

"And you taste wonderful..."

 

His tongue plunged possessively into my mouth. His kiss was so confident, like he knew no one else could have me weakening like this, and he reveled in the power he had over me if only for those moments.

 

I wasn't okay with this. Yet, I wanted this so much. I clutched onto his collar, pulling him closer to me, and he squeezed my hips, surprising me when he pressed his hardness against my stomach. I moaned into his mouth, shuddering all over. Henry pulled away from me and our foreheads remained touching.

 

"Let's get out of here," Henry murmured and I gulped hard and nodded as I let him position me to walk in front of him. My cheeks still burned from feeling him on me, reminding me of Savannah's words about what size he allegedly was but mostly how he used it. I felt a bit guilty thinking of him so lewdly but this was one of the few times someone I was physically attracted to showed me any kind of interest and I was trying not to lose my mind. I realized him being generally a nice guy, especially when he took the time out to help out the homeless guy, those were the things that made me want Henry Walker more.

 

When he suggested we get out of there and have fun, what exactly did he mean? His hand was on my womb where I'd felt him, and suggestive images flashed through my mind. I tried to think of other things to keep me from being nervous and thinking too hard about everything.

 

"Savannah seems nicer than I thought, but she's kind of random."

 

Henry didn't hear me and lowered his head till his ear was by my face. That's when I started to notice a couple of questioning, curious glances flashing me and Henry's way. I wasn't so sure I liked the attention. Trying not to focus on them, I repeated what I'd said to Henry, only for him to take a moment to respond.

 

"Where was she taking you earlier anyway?" he asked conversationally and I shrugged.

 

"She said we should get some ice or something but I didn't understand what she was talking about."

 

Henry stopped and his hands dropped from me.

 

"She said what?"

 

The gruffness in Henry's tone made me turn around to find his brow wrinkled while he eyed me in trepidation. After I repeated what I said, I witnessed Henry's demeanor doing a complete 180.

 

His eyebrows knotted like something was troubling him and he gnawed on his bottom lip.

 

"Have fun with what?" he asked, slower this time, his voice deep as he watched me studiously. I felt a bit uneasy but figured maybe he thought I was saying something else than what I truly meant.

 

"I said she wanted have fun with some Ice…"

 

Henry looked at me in disbelief, shaking his head and combing his fingers through his hair in biting frustration. "Fuck…"

 

"What's wrong?"

 

He cupped my neck and assessed every facet of my face, like a doctor trying to diagnose their patient. "How do you feel right now do you feel restless? Is your heart racing? How long ago did she get you those drinks?"

 

"…what?"

 

"Answer me," he demanded roughly and a trickle of fear went through me. I didn't like his sudden change in attitude and it didn't bring the best of memories to me. I tried to step away from him but his hold was unyielding, his eyes demanding.

 

"Wh…why are you talking to me like this…"

 

"How do you feel right now?" he reiterated impatiently.

 

"Ambushed!" When I tried to pry his hands from me, that was when he finally released me.

 

"Valerie…" he murmured impatiently. "How long ago did she start giving you those drinks?"

 

"When I left you to go to the bar," I answered, suddenly feeling very uncomfortable.

 

"Do you feel different?" he asked next.

 

"No, I just feel really drunk," I answered, trying not to let my irritation show.

 

"Are you sure?" he pressed as he eyed me in a cross between distress and concern. He was making me freak out.

 

"Yes I'm sure! What's wrong now?" I was starting to lose my cool too.

 

Henry continued to eye me suspiciously, like he didn't believe me.

 

I folded my arms around myself, inching away from him. "I'm ready to leave."

 

"Valerie--" I turned away from him and started to head out. He muttered another frustrated curse but I felt him close behind me as we both exited.

 

***

 

He looked really upset and angry, so much that he couldn't even look at me. He was looking out the window, brown wispy curls over his face with his cutting jaw creating a deep shadow on his virile neck where a sharp instances of light would blare every time we passed a street light.

 

"How do you feel now?" Henry asked for the umpteenth time and this time I let my irritation show because he was being so obtuse about it.

 

"I feel fine, Henry. If you have something you want to say, then just say it."

 

He held my gaze with his, which ventured between annoyed and worried, but he simply just looked out the window again. I sighed and leaned my head against the windowpane.

 

"You don't know what ice is? Did you never go to college parties?"

 

"Not really."

 

Henry was a bit stunned looking at me like he was wondering what kind of sheltered life I had lived, which always made me a bit embarrassed whenever people didn't hide their shock. He finally looked away from me and back out the window.

 

"What's ice?" I asked, remembering that he hadn't answered me when I'd asked.

 

"Methamphetamines."

 

My eyes widened in surprise and I wondered how I'd never even heard of that. Ever. In my life.

 

Henry sighed gruffly, shifting uneasily and looking out the window. A slight panic began to attack me as I wondered if Savannah spiked my drink, but then I'd seen her the entire time she ordered a drink for me. Not once had I seen her add anything to the drink but now I felt more out of my element than before.

 

"It takes maybe two to three hours to settle, that's why I wanted to know when she started giving you the drinks. You might have been so drunk by the time she gave you what, your fourth one? How many did you have?"

 

"I-I think five. But the last two I got on my own…" I answered quietly. The taxi ride was without conversation for the next few minutes when Henry sighed heavily.

 

"I think I overreacted. Just, if anything happened to you, I obviously wouldn't be able to forgive myself." He looked at me dubiously. "You don't do drugs, do you?"

 

"No! I never have. I feel I should know what Ice is but I never, I never really hang out with people. I never used to go to those kinds of high school or college parties. Ella can be very protective and has always been over me so she never really put me in those situations though I'm sure she would know. And my parents, well they mostly just cared about me staying focused on school so getting around them to go to those things was hard and well, in college I always feared I'd be the butt of jokes cause of my weight so I never…"

 

I felt his gaze on me as I stared at my hands, wondering what would have happened had I gone with Savannah. I know typically I would have said no, but I was pretty drunk at that time, especially compared to now when some of the alcohol had worn off.

 

I peered at Henry who was now looking out the window again. "Do you do drugs?"

 

He looked at me directly in the eye and shook his head. "No."

 

I nodded, seeing that he was very earnest and serious about his answer. I focused on my twiddling thumbs when Henry reached across the dark backseat and took my hand into his, making me look up at him.

 

"Valerie, believe me, tonight was not meant to happen like that. I swear on my life." He vowed his eyes so pained they were beseeching. I nodded and squeezed his hand to show him that I wouldn’t hold anything against him. Sighing, Henry swung his gaze back to the amazing nightscape of West Hollywood we drove by.

 

"The Savannah I've seen lately is not the Savannah I grew up with," he murmured, the emptiness in his voice a little bit scary to hear.

 

"How long have you known her?" I asked curiously.

 

"Since we were fifteen."

 

"What happened to her?"

 

Henry didn't say anything and I realized maybe I shouldn't have asked. There was a distance in his voice that made me infer that he somehow wanted to detach himself from Savannah. Is that why he'd looked at her like that? He surprised me when he finally spoke.

 

"Things didn't work out the way she wanted, her acting career hasn't taken off yet and she's taking it very hard. I'm sorry I'd rather just not discuss it in detail if that's okay." I knew he didn't want to give any details and I wondered if drugs was what he meant by 'taking it hard'. I knew how hard it was to watch someone you thought you knew changing right before your eyes and not being able to put a stop to it.

 

I got the feeling that Henry was not the type to discuss other people's personal turmoil as his reason for not wanting to dig deeper in the conversation and I actually respected that about him. Too many people were quick to divulge other people's secrets, especially the debilitating ones. I'd had many so called friends discussing my weight and appearance whenever I turned my back so I really valued people who didn’t gossip.

 

"Okay. I understand," I said quietly, looking down at our linked hands, taking great comfort in how warm and large his hand was around mine. It's very hard when you're naturally an affectionate person but men act like you're a leper when you want to touch them anywhere but their dick. That was always my problem. 'Suck my dick' was about as much green light I got to touch guys, but I never actually did any of it. I may have not had enough love for myself growing up, but at least I had some self-respect.

 

Because Henry had shown me he had some attraction to me, I felt I had leeway to show him affection, to be my natural self.

 

I lifted his hand and lightly kissed the knuckles. I felt Henry's eyes on me but didn't look up. I kissed my way up the tattooed skin of his forearm.

 

"Val?" Henry murmured, his throaty voice a cross between confusion and lust.

 

Thoughtlessly, I moved to straddle him, and I still felt his eyes fixated on me as I lightly nipped his arm through his denim, up to his broad shoulder. All this time, my heart was thumping hard against my chest. I'd never been a seductress, so I didn't know what the hell I was doing. I just let my instincts guide me, and all my instincts wanted to do was feel him over. I kept forging on with the hope that I didn't look stupid. I felt a bit dumb, but I was more concerned with how good he felt under my hands and on my lips than anything else.

 

Henry's shoulders flexed under my palms when his hands instinctually slid up to my waist once I was on top of him. I could feel his fingertips singeing through my clothing. He was as hot as I was.

 

The sight of his muscular neck in the occasional shafts of light increased the ache of my tightening nipples. I dove for his neck, placing light kisses on the smooth, hard skin.

 

Henry sucked in a breath the moment my lips landed on his heated skin, his fingers depressing into my waist.

 

"Val…" he hitched with failing restraint. The mere thought that I could have such an effect on a man like him made me wetter. And hungrier.  I flicked my dainty tongue feather lightly on his skin making Henry groan. I boldy began to suck lightly on him, savoring him. He tasted better than I imagined.

 

The strength of the feeling for how much I wanted him scared me.

 

"Valerie," he groaned now warningly and I moaned as I took small, insatiable bites across his neck over to the other side, where his new tattoo was. My restless hands slipped under his shirtfront and I felt for his firm chest, squeezing the firm skin. My shaky fingers then lowered to his hard nipple and Henry tensed and moaned. I insatiably sought his jaw when my lips whisked by it and began sucking the solid skin.

 

"Don't do this…" he whispered, his control steadily dissipating. It was far too late for me. I had lost control. I was so far gone with everything about this man. He made me crazy. All my inhibitions and following dad's rules of 'don't you dare mess with men seriously until you own your own company and live in your own house…in addition to having your own property' went out the window. Who would ever listen to that anyway with Henry Walker beneath them panting and weak?

 

"Stop."

 

Holding me by the hips, Henry gently moved me away from him and that's when reality hit.

 

I'd heard this before, and my entire demeanor changed in a matter of seconds. I'd gone from being as limp and wanton as a wet noodle to straight as a ramrod. I immediately assumed that it was him having that attitude most guys threw at me all my life because of my weight and timidly started to pull away from him. He must have seen the hurt and uncertainty in my eyes. Closing the distance between us, Henry gave me a deep, reassuring kiss.

 

The kiss ended with a loud separation and Henry pressed his forehead against mine, his eyes clutched tight as if it pained him to voice those words. He drafted heavy breaths in as he tried to regain some kind of control.

 

"You don't want me right now, Valerie. Please. Trust me," he said coarsely, pushing each word out of him like it was a struggle with his eyes still closed as though if he opened them and looked at me he would lose it.

 

"Why so cryptic, are you a vampire?" I asked dryly and Henry smirked at my jab, his eyes still closed. I felt a bit dejected, because I'd been told many times before how I wasn't capable of being sexy or wasn't worth partaking in anything remotely sexy. I started to scoot off of him. "Whatever Henry--"

 

"I want it hard and rough right now, because I'm still pretty angry at myself for bringing you here and it turning out like this," He opened his eyes, impossibly dark and intense. "And I don't think you're a hard and rough kind of girl."

 

I stared back at him, not knowing what to say at first. My cheeks were flaming as images of Henry doing it hard and rough flashed through my mind. It was one of my fantasies to be taken completely by someone I wanted it from. To be wanted so badly I ended up with evidence, bruises from the amount of need. In my only relationship, I hadn't gotten it. I was accused of being 'too horny' or 'wanting sex too much' when I wasn't the type who could 'do all the desirable things possible' when it came tos ex. The thoughts made me defensive.

 

"You don't know me too well to know what kind of girl I am." There was a small bite in my tone and I couldn't believe how petulant I was being, like a little kid who didn't get a nice cool popsicle that had been waved in front of her on a hot summer day. Then I remembered my initial reason for comforting him was just for him, though I hadn't anticipated my reaction to him. My body was still ablaze and I was still throbbing for him. No one had ever made me feel like this.

 

Henry was amused by the slight attitude in my tone and sat back. With his elbow rested on the door, he rubbed his bottom smirking lip as he analyzed me.  His other hand still rested firmly on my hip.

 

"When's the last time you had sex?"  he inquired as he ran his gaze down to my chest, to my womb, then back up. The hungry gaze would have excited me if the question didn't set me off kilter.

 

I broke eye contact because I distinctively remembered my last time almost two years ago and also an 'almost' situation nearly 6 months ago of a guy I met at a club.

 

His eyes burned as he stared at my lips. "Have you even ever?"

 

The accusing eyes I shot at him were answer enough and I made to get off of him but Henry held me in place, his smirk reached his eyes while scanning my face. I felt put on the spot and squirmed a little, suddenly wanting to hide.

 

"You're not hard and rough, Val," Henry concluded.

 

"How do you know?"

 

"I know what a woman is like, just from her walk. You walk like a very…nice girl." He brushed some of the strands that fell over my face when I lowered my head. Good meant inexperienced.

 

"Maybe one day…when you're ready. I can take you there. Would you like me to?"

 

I couldn't say anything. I'd officially lost my voice.

 

He surprised me when he leaned forward, tilting his head till his searching lips found mine and kissed delicately as if he was afraid of breaking me or something.

 

Henry linked my hands with his as he sat back, rubbing circles at the center of my palms, sending shivers through me.

 

"I have a new game I'd like to play with you…" Henry suggested, looking rather pleased by thunderstruck reaction.

 

"What game?" I practically croaked. I suddenly felt very nervous.

 

"The imagine game." his smirk turned wicked as he tilted his head inquiringly. "Tell me, what do you fantasize about Valerie?"

 

I was stumped and blushing fiercely.

 

I opened my mouth and dropped my gaze cause I didn't know what to say. I'd never told anyone my fantasies.

 

"Come love. Tell me. You can trust me…"

 

The sensations he was giving me with his thumb were very distracting and his voice sent shivers down my spine. All I could do was gnaw at my bottom lip, unable to look him in the eye.

 

"Do you know what mine is?"

 

I lifted my gaze to him, staring at him wide eyed, breathing deeply through my parted lips.

 

"It excites me thinking of you grabbing the sheets when I'm between your sweet thighs, tasting you. Or hearing you screaming at the top of your lungs while I'm buried deep inside you just because you know you can do it comfortably around me. Better yet, have you leave marks on my back from clinging on tightly…"

 

Henry pulled me closer until I was directly on top of him. I gasped and my eyes closed, an electrical shock zapping through me when I felt his bulge snug between my thighs. I bit my lip as my already throbbing center rested on top of his hardness. My fingers curled painfully into his shoulders and Henry moaned in front of me.

 

"Or having you on top of me," he whispered and I bit a whimper when he pressed me down onto him, spiraling sensations through me that made me arch into him. "Riding me with all the confidence in the world because you trust me more than you've ever trusted anyone else. "

 

"Henry…"

 

"Nothing gets me harder, Valerie…"

 

We stared at each other, only able to hear each other's breaths on the quiet ride. I was throbbing on top of him, I knew he could feel me. The motions of his thumb stroking my palms had stopped. I wanted to move closer to him, but I was frozen.

 

As if reading my mind, Henry pulled me closer, wrapping his arms around me while nipping at my shoulder and began slow, torturous undulations into me. While sighing my name, Henry's lips melded with mine in hot, wet kisses.

 

My hands were shaky but I began to blindly unbutton Henry's shirt when we were suddenly interrupted.

 

"We're here," the taxi driver told us and I jumped away from Henry, suddenly aware of the world. Henry, keeping his eyes closed sat back heavily, breathing ruggedly, his arms relaxing while he simply just held my hips.

 

"Are you guys getting out or what? I got other places to be."

 

This forced Henry and I to pay the guy and mobilize out of the car, which was difficult for me because I was trembling all over.

 

Time had proven that only he could get me to be like this.

 

I think I was going to dub what he was doing to me the Henry Walker Effect.

 

Chapter 10 by notheruniverse
Author's Notes:

Will have to split the chapter. Thank you for the lovely comments.

 


Chapter 10

I never realized how wired up and tired I was until I fell asleep on the plane. Not before Henry basically force fed me water when we were waiting to board our flight, not wanting me to wake up with a bad hangover. It got to a point where I was so tired the water was practically dribbling from my mouth, so Henry let me be and I slept on his shoulder. I grudgingly woke up when we arrived back to Tilden and during that time I gave Henry my address. He keyed it in his phone when we were in his car and he drove me home, with me so exhausted I fell asleep again.

"Do you have the house keys?" he asked me forty minutes later after helping me out of the car.

Henry was holding me from behind. I drowsily fished my pockets and gave them to him without question. Thankfully the light in the condo vestibule was on. Ella always left it on if I came home after her and vice versa. I groggily told him where my room was and Henry sat me on the bed.

"Where are your night shirts?" he asked, squatted in front of me.

"It's okay." I slept on my side over the comforter. "I just want to sleep." I said while subconsciously pulling my shirt down. I heard him walking around and was honestly too tired to care if he was going through my stuff.

"Come on." I heard and felt a hand gently trying to move me to the other side of the bed. I learned he wasn't in fact going through my things but had only walked to the other side of the bed to peel the comforter and bedsheets for me to get into. I was stubborn at first because of being so tired but was eventually grateful when the cool sheets hit my skin as Henry tucked me in.

"You feeling okay?" Henry asked gently as he sat at the edge of the bed, folding one leg with his other   on the floor. He leaned over my frame, planting one hand behind me. I knew he was still trying to make sure I wasn't drugged. He probably knew that I wasn't, as beat as I was. I nodded anyway, secretly reveling in being cared for like this.

"Sorry I ruined your night," he said quietly, gently removing his orange beanie from my head. He then gently pushed his fingers through my hair and massaged my scalp with the digits of his fingers, unknowingly lulling me to a comfortable sleep. I'm not sure how long he did this, but I soon felt a hand delicately touching my face. He kissed my cheek lightly.

"Goodnight, Valerie," was the last thing I heard in a whisper before falling asleep.



***



It's like I had only blinked the next time I was woken up by my alarm. I wish I'd never woken up because I felt awful. My head was pounding but what got me most was how parched my throat was. My limbs ached all from dehydration and I rued not listening to Henry and drinking as much water as possible. With great effort, I rolled over to the other side, still wanting to sleep when a few minutes later my alarm blared again. I smacked it off and drifted back to sleep. The next time I woke up it was to my phone ringing. I normally never got calls so early, so I answered it, fearing it would be an emergency. I fished the offensively vibrating device from my pocket, answering it in a vexed tone without checking the caller ID.

"Hello?" 

"Good morning…" Henry's raspy, sleepy voice came through the phone, making my heart gallop. I stared into the soft morning glow of my room in surprise for several quiet moments before finally speaking.

"Henry?"

"Not stalking you. Just wanted to make sure you were up on time for work…"

Even as tired as I was I couldn't stop the warm feeling that spread through me, like a hot cup of cocoa after a long winter day.

"Henry, You didn't have to," I told him softly, my voice copious with emotion that I was too tired to conceal.

"I did. I promised. I know you'll be upset with me asking but I promise this is the last time. How are you feeling…"

I began to feel bad for being annoyed with him earlier and actually found his habit of worrying for others endearing. It's just the kind of person he was. I had a feeling if I'd scraped my knee he'd have reacted the same way.

"The same way I feel whenever I drink. I don't feel any different," I assured him, this time without the heat in my voice that I'd had all the times he asked me previously.

"Okay. Good. Sorry, again, about last night. Well. This morning."

If I wasn't so exhausted I'd have laughed at how long it took him to say that and I knew it had nothing to do with him being tired. Henry was just naturally a slow talker.

"Don't apologize. What time did you go to bed?"

"I haven't. I stayed up to make sure you woke up on time since taking you out last night was my fault. I didn't want you to get in trouble at work."

Though my smile was tired, it was genuine and I hugged my comforter closer to my body, suddenly wishing it was him. "Henry…"

"I am exhausted though, so I will hit the sack now. Had a wonderful time with you. Take care."

"You too…"

I hung up, but this time I couldn't go back to sleep. I forced myself up and geared for another day at work.

As fatigued as I was, I suddenly had the burst of energy I needed to get through the day.

Henry was the reason.

***

June 8th.

A day that I didn't like celebrating too much. The real reason I'd drank too much with Savannah last night. Of course it went back to my childhood. I had the nice lavish birthdays only cause my mother insisted, but Dad could never be bothered.

He was always working. always chasing his dreams. Then when it came to friends, I always had very low attendance parties. They were always in the summer when school was out and I didn't have too many friends to celebrate with, but me and Ella with some of her cool friends always enjoyed ourselves.

Then, it all changed one day when I met George Simmons. He was the reason I hated June 8th with a passion.

But there was no one I hated more than myself for this day.

***

Every other Friday, if you finished your work early, you left early. Or, you could go in late. The only thing I really had to do was consult with my team over the next project we would be starting soon.

By two in the afternoon, I was at home catching up on rest. Now that I had some down time I tried not to let my mind overwork me, trying not to make any sense of what happened the previous day and the fact I'd chartered a plane to go to West Hollywood. My cheeks flushed every time I thought of what Henry and I did in the cab and I'd shaken my head multiple times throughout the day in an attempt to erase those images from my mind…

…easier said than done.

When I walked or sat down I still felt his hard thighs on the back of my own. A shiver would go through me when I'd remembered the amazement my hands felt any time I touched him. And his lips, and eyes, and dimples…

It was all too much, too fast, I knew.

I just wanted some alone time, but that wasn't going to happen especially since today was my dumb birthday. I had to go for a dinner at 7 at the insistence of Ella.

Henry and I hadn' texted each other and I was cool with it for now. We might have needed a bit of a break after how intense last night got.

Around five I woke up from a long nap to torrential rains and gloomy skies. It would be dour weather on this 'blessed' day. With a mug of green tea on the table beside my couch, I was eating a fruit salad, reading a forum about videogame coding when a knock on the door startled me.

Ella and I were never the type to receive surprise guests.

I pondered over who was there, and contemplated just sitting still until the visitor went away. They'd know I was there because my car was parked at the front, and especially since it was raining really hard, I'd feel bad leaving them there.

With my blanket wrapped around me, I galvanized from the couch and drudged my feet to the door. When I checked the peep hole, all I saw were a bright bouquet of flowers. A trickle of fear went through me when I thought of who it could be. George? No. I prayed to God not.

I didn't want to have to call the police.

Militantly, I swung the door open and stood with my guard up. The hand around the bouquet showed me it wasn't in fact George. The bouquet itself was a miriad of bright, summary, roses that I'd never seen in my entire life. The roses were multi colored, each petal a different color from the rainbow. The presentation of the flowers was even more appealing because the clear wrapping around it had rain drops, as did the roses. Attached with white ribbons to the bouquet were tall, rained on peach colored balloons, with one of the balloons smaller than the rest.

My admiring of the flowers was rudely interrupted by an unexpected, squeaky, chipmunk voice.

"Happy Birthday to youuuu. Happy Birthday to youuuu. Happy birthday dear peachessssss, Happy birthdayyyy too youuuuuuuuuuu." By the end of his rendition, Henry's voice was finally back to normal.

A large, haggard breath was expended soon after the bouquets were lowered to reveal Henry's face.

"Jesus! I thought the helium would be gone by the time you answered. Thank god."

He gnawed his lip with expectant eyes, then color quickly rose to his cheeks as he scratched the back of his head. "Oookay so no reaction. I guess that was just silly, wasn't it? Well," he held the bouquet out to me. "Here are your birthday flowers. And I got you a candle. I know, lame last minute gift but you'll never guess what scent it is."

Nonplussed, I stared at the tall figure in front of me as his shoulders rose and fell while he tried to catch respite. Henry lowered the flowers, suddenly looking guilty. "Is this a bad time? Sorry I should have warned you, I wanted it to be a surprise. I was going to have them delivered and, well, Ella told me you'd be home so I thought..."

I still couldn't speak and Henry hitched his thumb behind him, turning to leave.

"I guess I'll just--"

My eyes welled with tears and I launched myself at him before he could see any indication that his gesture had moved me beyond words.

I closed the tears away before they could fall with my arms wrapped around his neck and just held him. In that moment I didn't care if his 'niceness' was suspicious or fake or if he was doing all this with an ulterior motive.

In that moment, I just reveled in him.

He would never know how much this meant to me.

June 8th was the day I officially started falling for Henry Walker.

Chapter 11 by notheruniverse

Chapter 11



"How do you not have a pet? This place is perfect for one." Henry was still walking around, admiring the condo. It wasn't too big, but spacious enough for Ella and I to exist comfortably. Only it became much smaller than what it normally was with Henry standing in the middle of the den, his hands in his back pockets and his booted feet gently walking the hardwood floors.

Speaking of his boots, when I saw them, I wanted to scream. There was something about guys in black, ankle high combat boots with the laces carelessly undone. That was my kryptonite, so much i I nearly started crying he looked so good in them, it hurt. He'd cleaned them on the welcome matt and to be honest even if he hadn't I'd still let him walk around with mud all on his soles because he did those boots justice, damn near making me purr at the nice visual, and I never wanted him to take them off.

The sweet torture of his appearance didn't stop there. His black jeans formed comfortably around his lengthy legs. They weren't skinny jeans or anything, but they fit and he looked wonderful in them especially the way they bunched up at his boots. Those fucking boots.

He had on a loose white shirt with energetic, stocky black text, with a wide 'v' collar that showcased his tattoos and his pendant.

The garment that gave his boots a run for their money in making me want to drop to my knees, was the black, biker leather jacket highlighted by the silver zippers  all over it.

Oh, Henry fucking Walker. For why?

I wanted to do him then and there but had to get a hold of myself. Notably braless with nipples that hardened as I stealthily ogled him, I tightened the grip of my blanket around my body. Fuck him for doing this to me. All I could do with my legs was clump them together, not fold them like I'd been doing earlier. Looking at him was making me too wet too easily.

He looked like that dream bad boy in high school you'd hoped would whisk you away on his motorbike and ride with you into the sunset as you kissed your future goodbye because you finally sacked the town rebel. Instead of the dark scowl those boys were normally known for, Henry was wearing a smile as sweet as a cupcake.

I didn't get how someone so adorable could be so damagingly sexy. His smile and bright eyes didn't match his sooty, dangerous attire.

His hair was a bit damp from the rain, which made it darker than its usual chestnut brown. It looked black. The usual stray strands were fallen over his forehead, r with the end of the curls sharpened by the rain.

Fuck I was horny.

As my mind screamed curse words to his parents and their parents for creating him to be this visually perfect, Henry spun around to me and lifted an inquiring brow.

I remembered to respond to his question. "I hate animals."

His stunned reaction only brought attention to how green his eyes looked against that day's otherwise dark fashion choice. It wasn't so much the color of his eyes that were stunning but more the shape. They were big but not freakishly so, just very magnetic when he looked at you attentively. He had the type of eyes that were hard to look away from once they settled on you.

Why was I acting like I hadn't seen him before? Damn! Was I going to react like this every time I saw him? It's just he seemed to look better and better each time.

"How can a fuzzy thing like you hate animals." he was really eying me like that was the most absurd thing.

"Fuzzy? So I'm hairy?!" I squawked, trying to bring humor into the rather heavy environment brewing around me. I had never been so horny in my life. An easy smile broke through his face as he plopped on the couch across from me and stretched arms that seemed endless along the back of the couch. 

"Well, I do feel the occasional mustache when we kiss."

He was reminding me how easily we bounced off of each other when it came to conversation. Sometimes, like last night and in Peter's kitchen, it got so intense when we were together we couldn't speak. I missed our playful banter.

I laughed at his jab, unable to come up with a witty come back and Henry smiled as he slouched further down the couch, stretching his arms above him and linking his fingers behind his head. Well screw him for that. It was totally necessary for him to stretch his body out like that so that I could catch a glimpse of his defined torso…and yes, he had the 'deep v' right above his pelvic area. I wondered, if I pulled the shirt further up, what would I see…

My breathing escalated and I thought I was having hot flashes.

Oh fuck me and fuck him too.

"You give me a fuzzy feeling inside is what I truly meant." He smiled sweetly, and for some reason I found it completely endearing that he hadn't even noticed I was salivating cause of him. 

Trying to stay on task, I rolled my eyes, which only made him grin wider.

"I find your eye rolls sexy. Not offensive in the least," he said.

"I find your corniness sexy too."

Henry grinned that open mouth smile that made him look like a little kid. "Thank you!!!"

"I got bit by a dog once when I was little and had to get a rabies shot," I explained, then shook my head. "So nope, not my thing."

"Whoa! How old were you?" Henry sobered and I found it cute how he looked so worried even though that happened eons ago.

"Nine."

"That sounds horrific." He was trying not to frown and I shrugged.

"I survived so I guess it wasn't that bad."

"Either Negative Nancy is changing or you are."

I stood up, suddenly really thirsty. I needed a drink. I felt that thick brick wall I'd built around myself tumbling down to its demise all because of him. How could one person make me become undone so easily and all we were doing was talking about dogs and rabies shots. ugh.

"I think you guys hate on Negative Nancy too much. Care for a drink?"

"I'm good, thanks."

In a matter of minutes I was sitting back down with a new mug of decaffeinated green tea.

"So tell me why you are just sitting at home on your birthday? I was going to have the flowers delivered but when you told me you were home I figured I'd stop by. Unless I'm annoying you…"

"You are annoying me," I said over my steaming mug.

His eyes widened and he looked mortified. "I am?" His features became crestfallen as his eyes drifted away. How much cuter could this guy get? "Oh…sorry…" He sat at the edge of the couch and was about to stand up. "I guess I'll go--"

I set the mug on the table beside me.

"Your looks annoy me. How does it feel to be good looking in everything you do? 'Oh I'm just little tall Henry Walker and uh, I can pull off denim on denim and still look ravishing. I'll wear a random orange beanie and it will make your panties drop. Or how about how dapper I can be in a deep blue blazer and a casual white shirt? Oh don't get me started on my rocker biker bad boy look. I will have you going crazy."

"Am I having you going crazy?" he'd relaxed back into the couch now and was wearing his comfortable smile again.

"Yes you annoyingly sexy beast." I curved my fingers at him in a clawing motion

"Rawr!" He roared comically in his deep voice, bearing all his teeth and not looking threatening at all but extremely adorable.

I fell on the chair laughing my heart out, covering my face against the cushiony surface. "You always do that!!!"

"Do what?" he accused and I sat up, wiping tears of laughter.

"You never just laugh at me if I try to be funny or corny or lame, you just have to keep the joke going. It's like nothing surprises you! You always just go with the flow damn it!"

"You surprise me."

"Well I can never tell! You just have a good poker face, huh?"

He shook his head slowly, his eyes narrowing distrustingly, "Oh no you don't." He wagged a finger at me. "I see what you're doing here. I got to say, you're becoming better at that whole 'let's divert the conversation from me and take it elsewhere'. It was real smooth how you did it Miss MchChugging. "

"Ohhh my god I forgot you called me that at Seaburger. You have a good memory. Is that how you knew what today was or did Ella tell you?"

"I remembered it only cause you sounded so bloody sad when you talked about it that day on the beach. Why didn't you tell me it was your birthday last night? I was really waiting for you to say something, and to add insult to injury I made your night worse on your birthday."

"Oh god, will you stop blaming yourself? I'm over it and it wasn't your fault. I don't really care for birthdays. I mean aren't we supposed to stop caring when we turn 25? And isn't celebrating the day you were born the most presumptuous thing in the world? Like oh my god I'm so special to this world please celebrate me. It's cocky to demand a celebration because you were born."

"Every time I think I have you figured out you just hit me with one of your theories and i'm lost in nirvana or something."

I shrugged with a saccharine smile and Henry sat forward at the edge of the couch.

"So because of this insightful conclusion about how celebrating makes you cocky, you aren't going to do anything for turning the good, special 27?"

I scowled. "Say my age again and I'll make you watch the Keeping Up with Kardashians marathon that's on now. We have a big screen too."

"That would be well good." He sat back, shifting his behind comfortably in the seat and placing his folded arms with his hands hanging beneath them. "I love that show. 27"

"I'll make you watch Jersey Shore," I admonished and he sighed with even more bliss as he lay his head on the back of the couch with his eyes closed. 

"One of my favorites. 27."

"Me too! I have it on DVD!"

"Ha!" Henry's opened mouthed smile and amused eyes met my excitement. 'Jesus' he murmured, rubbing the bridge of his nose while he reposed his head on the back of the couch again.

"I guess I'll just have to illegally download every song you ever created."

This got his attention and he lifted his head.

"Oh?" He sat forward and with his elbows on his knees, held out one hand with all fingers outstretched. "How about I just leak to you five unheard of songs from Prince's new album."

"Oh shit!!! You have them???"

"Yep."

"How do you know I basically live for Prince?"

"I know a Prince woman when I see one. You reek him."

"Oh no you don't. You're not going to play me at my own game." I lifted my chin, sizing him up. "Who's your favorite artist?"

"Right now? Of course Adele."

"I'll download all her music if you ever utter that word 27 in reference to me again!!"

"Not only will I never speak to you again but I will hand you over to the authorities myself…" his eyes turned dark. "27."

I laughed, having never had this much chemistry with someone else. He just completely got me and my lame humor.

"You're awesome Apples." I said with a smiling nod. "I like you a lot."

"I like you too, Peaches. A great deal," he said instantly like it was fact and our eyes held.

I bit my bottom lip and glanced down.

"Queue in the awkward silence," Henry said and I looked up to find him looking about the apartment.

"I know cause, did we mean that in an 'I like you as a friend way'? Or were we talking…anyway so I'm mad you never told me how you made the bangers and mash. Queen Peaches demands a verbal recital of the recipe, thank you."

He began giving me a detailed run down on how to make the delicacy.

To be honest I hadn't really cared about how it was made. I just wanted to hear him talk for a long time and knew now for sure I'd never tired of it. Even though he could put the average person to sleep with how slow he spoke, that was what was so gripping about his voice to me. His unhurried pace commanded attention, but not as much as the actual sound. His gravelly tone came from deep within, but it wasn't so much that he sounded like he had a sore throat. And the huskiness of his voice was just enough to make you want to close your eyes and slip into bliss.

It certainly didn't help that he lips speaking those words were wonderful to look at, as well as how his jaw worked when he spoke. I was mesmerized, listening, until he suddenly motioned success with his hands while saying, "And Bob's your uncle."

My features scrunched up. "Who the fuck is Bob and why is he my uncle and what does he have to do with my food?"

Henry's head dropped as he laughed, his shoulders shaking.

"What? What's so funny I don't get it?!?! What'd I miss? what'd I miss?"

He threw his head back laughing some more and that only reminded me what a nice neck he had. My womanhood twitched as I remembered kissing and sucking him there. Oh god.

"You're fucking amazing Valerie. You are unbelievable." he was shaking his head in disbelief. It felt really good to hear him laugh like that and I felt very good inside, just knowing I was the reason he seemed happy in the moment.

"Who the hell is Bob??"

"Sorry I don't do it to be annoying. I always forget that you don't understand these things when we talk, I guess that means I'm comfortable around you, but it's a British saying kind of like, 'and there you go'--Holy fucking shit Valerie." he stopped suddenly.

"What?"

"You hoodwinked me. You managed to divert the conversation from what you'd be doing for your birthday…again. You are so good at this I Am Number 27." He smiled sweetly as he jeered me.

I returned his smile with a sweet one of my own. "Rolling in the Deep dipped in Illegal Download Sauce sounds so good right now."

Henry's eyes narrowed and he murmured, "Got a few friends in the LAPD." Then he said through grated teeth. "Now spill."

I to narrowed my eyes and sat forward challengingly and unafraid, "Never. Bring it on, Mr. Bean."

Henry winked while making two clicking sounds with his tongue and smirked. "That was so fucking hot.” He curved his bottom lip under his tongue and bit it, his eyes turning smoldering and his voice lowered to a rumble. “Do it again."

I damn near hollered, as laughter cannoned out my throat and covered my mouth, shocked by how loud and hard I was laughing at his silliness. I wondered, how could one person make me feel like the world with the simplest gestures.

It's just like he said earlier about getting lost in nirvana whenever we hang out. It was the same thing to me. I forgot about the pain my birthday normally brought me. Everything that was drab about my birthday was turning into a favorite, including the rain that had further soured my mood. The soft lighting of the condo suddenly seemed like the best thing in the world to me. My couch was the most comfortable and of course Henry was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen across from me.

When I finally came down from my laugh, I saw Henry eying me with a pleased smile on his face. Apparently he liked making me laugh too.

We looked at each other across the room, and something I'd been trying to ignore dawned on me. We were sitting as far away from each other as possible. At this point we both knew the damage caused whenever we were too close to one another.

To be honest, I preferred it this way, but my hormones were raging like I'd just hit puberty and discovered what the word sexy meant. I wanted to rip that shirt off of him, damn.

There was a silent energy floating through the room like a ghost trying to haunt us both. I had never felt so alive just sitting in the same room with another person. It was a bit scary the electricity I felt sparking between us.

"But to finally answer your question. Ella is making me go to a birthday dinner," I said.

"You say that with so much enthusiasm."

"I'm grateful for her doing it. Like I said I think birthdays are attention-whorish kind of. I don't know."

"Free food, mate. I say you go." 

"Yeah I guess." I puffed a heavy sigh and surged to my feet.

"What time is the dinner?"

"Seven."

Henry eyed his watch. "You'd better get ready. It's 6:15."

A huge slab of disappointment struck me when he started to get up.

"What time does your flight leave?" I asked haltingly.

"Real late, like twelve or something."

"Wanna come?"

A devilish grin stretched his lips. "Of course I'd love to."

I started walking away then something hit me. I turned to glower at Henry, who wiggled his eyebrows suggestively, knowing I finally got the double entrende.

"You have a very dirty mind. Or shall I say, a very rude one."

"Not a sweet angel like me," the innocuous smile was back.

Picking up my scented candle from the dinner table where I'd also placed the roses in water with the balloons huddled in the upper corner of the room, I started for my bedroom. "Okay I'm going to get ready. Sit your sexy beastly butt back down and make yourself at home."

"Yes, my Queen Peach."

I was showered in fifteen minutes, walking around my room with a towel wrapped around my body, enjoying the heady aroma of the peach cilantro scented candle. I naturally never cared for peaches and had only randomly bought a cheap brand body wash without even checking what scent it was. Never did I think peaches would be a staple aspect of my life, with me thoroughly enjoying the soft, alluring fragrance.

I searched high and low for something appropriate to wear but wasn't satisfied with anything I picked. Honestly I wanted to wear something that would blow Henry away the way he always did whenever I saw him, especially after how basic I looked the previous night. I hadn’t worn anything cute in a while and was reminded how rarely I shopped for clothes. Fashion was never something of importance growing up and I recalled Ella giving me an intervention in college telling me I needed to step it up a little. I was the stereotype nerd in every sense of the word and had only in recent years started to care about fashion so I was still very rough around the edges.

I didn’t know how long I’d been poring over what to wear when there was a knock on my door.

"You okay in there? You're gonna get there late," Henry said.

Because I despised my arms, shoulders, and legs, I yanked my robe from my bathroom door. Flipping the uncomfortable, still-wet curly strands from under the thick collar of the robe, I went to open my bedroom door, scowling because of how frustrated I was.

"You have like maybe fifteen minutes or so to get there," Henry had been looking down his phone, his weight heaved on one side of his leg, and one hand in his pocket.

"And the traffic is insanity so…" His voice tapered off when he casually looked up and froze.

"I can't figure out what to wear," I huffed in frustration.

"Uh-um I'm sure whatever you pick will be fine," he muttered as his eyes quickly sought his phone again and he started to walk away but I grabbed his arm, dragging him back.

"Wait! Could you help me pick something?" I left the door open, walking back to the dimly lit room.

"Oh that candle you got me is awesome by the way," I said, inhaling once more. I flicked through the hangers in my closet and pulled out a black dress and eyed it. The distant thunder rolling outside reminded me that it was still raining and wearing a dress wouldn't be too enjoyable, but I liked the dress. Sighing, I threw it on the bed when I realized Henry hadn't moved from the door, looking a bit unsure.

"I don't have any monsters in my room," I told him wryly, wondering if it was his 'gentlemanly ways' that kept him from entering. I wrung my hands impatiently. "Ugh! This is so annoying. Help please."

"I'm not really good at…you know, clothes and stuff."

I looked over my shoulder and sized up his very swanky attire. It wasn't a surprise that Henry had a keen fashion sense, what with being linked to Hollywood and all. Hell, he dressed better than my plain self and we both knew it.

Henry's eyes followed the trail of my gaze from his shoes up and then looked up at me, shrugging blamelessly, his shoulders remaining high.

"Personal stylist?"

"You're also a bad liar. Fine, I'll figure it out. I was thinking jeans but then I have a feeling Ella will be going out later and I don't want to look a mess." I stomped my feet agitatedly. "Damn, damn, damn!!!"

"You act like a comedian," Henry said and I looked back to see that he was finally traipsed into the room, but with great caution, lhis hands in his pockets as he trained his eyes to the clothes I'd tossed onto the bed.

"Okay, since it's raining I'm thinking of something kind of casual. But I kind of wanted to wear a dress."

"You got any like, sleeveless, tube dress thingies?" Henry asked while sitting at the corner edge of my bed. He seemed a bit rigid and unrelaxed, unlike usual. I would have focused on it if we weren't working against time.

"Nope," I pulled out another longer dress from my closet, then went over to the bed to sit next to him and show it to him.

"Well, I was thinking of this too…" My voice tapered off because Henry practically jumped off the bed as soon as I sat down next to him.

The room that he couldn't look up at earlier had all his attention now, playing off the fact that he'd just leaped away from me. He was being weird. I tried not to focus on it. Maybe he was realizing this was a mistake and that he wasn't attracted to me? What had I done to make him act so indifferent?

It was like he had his guard up and I don't think he'd ever really done that with me. It made me feel horrible.

"You like video games a lot," I heard Henry saying discerningly while I looked over the dresses on my bed, trying to pick the best one. I hadn't even thought about the poster I had on one side of my room, along with the wide shelf of video games on that side of the room as well. I hadn't felt the need to hide that form Henry like I did most other adults because he didn't seem the type to judge what anyone else was doing as long as no one got hurt. When I once told some guy at the club videogames were my hobby, he basically poofed into thin air when I briefly turned my back on him to get my drink.

Although I was a bit put off and confused with him, I couldn't shroud my love of video games. I rarely got asked by anyone, so I always indulged whoever made the mistake of asking me.

"Yeah. It's embarrassing though. Please keep it a secret."

"Why?"

"It's childish."

"Childish?"

"Yeah. When's the last time you played a video game?"

Henry's dimple deepened as he chewed his tongue, looking heavenward as he searched his brain. "Uhhh…let me see…"

"See?!"

"That doesn't mean they're childish. Everyone has different hobbies. I mean I enjoy the game graphics, but playing?" He shrugged. "It depends. I'll play a good Fifa game but for the most part, I'm not too crazy about video games. But you are! Which is still amazing."

I smiled. "Yeah. Since I was a loner as a child that's pretty much what kept me company."

"What was your favorite game?"

I lowered my chin suspiciously, "You care about my favorite game?"

"Yeah I care about your favorite game."

"well, for starters Super Mario is my all time favorite."

"That's a good one. I love a good Yoshi and mushroom. Luigi was a good wingman."

I don't think I could ever get enough of the way he talked. I don't think I could ever get enough of him.

I listed all my favorite video games, going down a long list, then when I remembered how much I was rambling, I shortened the list. Henry never looked away once, nor did he appear disinterested, although there was something behind his eyes. There always was.

"Ah, I see." he nodded attentively.

"Yeah. That's honestly my biggest passion. Video games. Video consoles." I pointed at the glass case in the corner of the room. "I have all the Nintendo variations and Playstations, XBox, SEGA, but I think my heart will always be with Nintendo. I remember when my parents got me my first Nintendo, the Entertainment System version." I tried not to smile too hard as I reminisced. "My parents got it for me one Christmas because they got great reports from my teacher that I did great, even though it was a tough year with some kids cause of my weight, so I think they were proud that I still forged on and worked hard and did well.

"My mom insisted on it, and at first my father thought it was dumb but I think he gets excited with new technology. One day he actually sat down with me and tried to play it because no matter how hard he tried to deny it, he enjoyed it. I was eight years old. It was so amazing. Then I remember one night I couldn't sleep and I saw the light in the basement on and he'd actually taken apart the game, and just as I was about to start crying, he calmed me down by showing me how he was able to put it back together. That's the only time I can remember him sitting me on his lap, and I watched him do it from start to finish, just completely amazed. That's when dad told me to always try to figure out how things work, not just take them at face value. That's why when a new game console comes out, I'm interested in the motherboard, or if it's a new game, I'm interested in how they achieved certain coding to make the gameplay. My dad taught me so much about that, it was so fucking cool that day with him I'll never forget. He's a genius."

"You sound real proud of him." Henry said softly and I suddenly remembered he was there. I was suddenly gripped with a huge level of fear when I remembered there was only one person other than Ella who I'd shared this memory with--and that was George Simmons.

I didn't want to regress and refused to allow those memories to dictate how I dealt with Henry, but it was all too close for comfort.

"I think this is pretty amazing actually," He said next when I said nothing.

"What?"

"You haven't given up on something you truly love. I respect people like that," he said seriously.

"I gave up on video games the moment I didn't take the plunge and do game programming like I wanted to. Ah well," I finally decided on a dress and was smoothing it out on my lap. "Things happen for a reason, don't they--"

"You're beautiful."

I laughed, still focusing on my dress. "What? Is that your new song or a song lyric you just came up wi--"

"I think you're beautiful."

At the seriousness in his tone, I lifted my head to look at Henry in surprise. He was facing me now, although he was still a good distance away from me. He started to walk towards me slowly, the heaviness I'd felt when sitting across from him in the living room back in full effect, a lot stronger.

I laughed nervously and looked down at the dress. "Madison, now that's beautiful. I'm alright."

Henry hunkered down in front of me, tilting his head back to look into my eyes.

"Do you even know what beautiful actually means?" he asked me and my throat couldn't work. All my senses sparked to life with Henry so close to me. The inebriating incense, coupled with his alluring cologne nearly dizzied me.

"Yes you have the prettiest brown eyes, the most adorable freckles and a smile that lights up the whole room. But I think, beauty, true beauty, doesn't fade. Some people are born with it and for others, it just grows. It comes from a place not too many people get to see because they don't know how to find it. You have to have a skilled eye to spot it. It's this beautiful light, but here's the thing about this beauty. Once it's unearthed, it's so beautiful, so bright that it's blinding. It catches you, almost imprisoning, so unforgivingly binding that your life for this moment in time when you've discovered this light, becomes almost worthless. This light becomes your focal point. and you…almost start to fear it because it's so beautiful."

My shaky breaths came through my mouth as our eyes held his intensely sparkling ones all while the rain gently tapped at the windows.

"I think true beauty comes from a truly good person. And you, I feel it deep within, are a good person. You are beautiful. You are beauty. And that's only from me seeing just a glimmer of you. If i see it all, I'll get lost."

My fingers curled tightly around the dress as I tried to level my breathing.

"I'm an all or nothing kind of guy but you're the first person that makes me want you in doses. I would lose my mind if I had all of you." 

I bit my bottom lip and just as I looked away, Henry touched my chin to return my gaze back to him.

"Yet I can't get enough of you. What have you done to me, Valerie?" it was the ams frustration he had when he asked me why I was so cute to him when we finally had some alone time in the club.

What was I supposed to say? How do you respond to something like that? Something you've never heard before that's so sweeping and possessing and beautiful in itself? I was doing my best not to cry. Most of my life I was told different and then Henry shows up and tells me all these things that I'm sure many women want to hear, even the ones that deny it.

Yes I was a 'hopeless', but after being jaded so long I refused to believe that another human being could make you change, but I felt myself changing. No matter how the insecurities and fear tried to keep this change from happening, the feeling was so strong I knew I would never be the same after today.

"Sorry." He smiled bashfully, looking down almost in an attempt to conceal his red cheeks as his hand fell away from me. "I told you, you shouldn't let me talk too long. Get kind of carried away sometimes and just talk rubbish and…"

I grabbed his face and kissed him. As I closed my eyes to kiss him, my tears fell onto his face. I didn't like people seeing me cry and I'm not sure he'd understand why but I didn't even care about him seeing or feeling my tears. I just wanted to kiss those lips that had told me the most beautiful thing I'd ever heard about myself.

Unlike usual Henry didn't kiss me back or melt when our lips met. He remained unmoving while I lightly plucked his lips within my own. All the self-control I relied on earlier became undone once Henry said those words to me and I couldn't stop myself. I was raging inside with need and want and my tongue reached to taste those very lips that made me feel the most beautiful I'd ever felt in my life.

Henry finally reacted, sucking in a breath, which allowed me to slip my tongue into the warm mouth that had blessed me with those words.

"Valerie, don't…" he pleaded, though the resolve in his voice was waning with each press of my lips.

I didn't listen. I couldn't.

His hands were now lightly skimming up my calves and squeezing. I let out a moan because that wasn't a place I normally got touched and the new feeling excited me.

At my moan, Henry pulled back from me, his eyes closed while he still grappled at whatever was left of his willpower. His hands were up to my knees now, under the robe.

"When you kiss me it only makes me want to taste more of you," he said roughly and heat tore within me. If his intention was to dissuade me, he failed horribly. I reached for him again, wiping my tears from his face and started to kiss him with the hungriness that had been churning within me ever since the day I met him.

"Valerie…" he murmured roughly against my lips.

This time I pulled him with me as I scooted further up the bed. It was ingrained inside of me that I would never let another guy see me naked again after my past experiences, but that didn't mean I couldn't make out with a guy. I really had no plans for what would happen, all I could think about was how he felt, and it wouldn't leave me mind that the lips kissing me back had said very sweet words to me. So the kiss meant more than just feeling skin against skin.

Once our tongues began to roll around each other, Henry's legs straightened but he bent. He stopped briefly and roughly dragged all the clothes I'd thrown on my bed onto the floor and the kissing continued. Though it was cumbersome, we both moved up the bed, me using the heels of my feet to propel me upward, and Henry crawling, making me sink each time his palms or knees depressed the bed. Still, our lips never left each other. He would turn his head to find my lips every time I moved waveringly on the bed and I would search for his, my fingers lost in his curls as I tried to keep him on me. At some point, mid way, I began trying to get his jacket off of him. It was too noisy but most importantly I wanted to feel his arms. Henry stopped, kneeling above me, and roughly discarded the jacket with his eyes never leaving mine, throwing it to a forgotten place on the floor. The fire in his eyes made me heart jump, and it also made me extremely wet.

The chains around him were broken. He was no longer guarding himself from me.

His lips reunited with mine in record time and we continued our unsteady trip up my bed.

The back of my head met with a pillow and Henry settled above me, levering his weight on his elbows. His neck was craned low as he kissed. His lips parted from mine soundly and he knelt to take his necklace off, draping it carefully on my nightstand. When I reached for him, Henry grabbed one hand of mine, kissing the knuckles.

"Wait. Wait."

Interlacing our hands, he placed them above my head. My free hand settled on his shoulder and I watched his gorgeously contracting neck as he deeply breathed, his eyes trailing down my features, further to my neck. I felt nervous because this never happened with my last boyfriend.

Henry's eyes darkened the more they lowered to my cleavage, his now dry curls was shaggy and looping low over his forehead. He licked his lips before suddenly blowing and making my eyes flutter close in bliss at the coolness, emphasized by the dewiness that still lingered from my shower.

When his eyes trailed up, he smirked and a naughty glint hit his eyes.

"So did they know you were mine at work? When they saw you with this?" he asked, his voice rougher than usual, as he pressed a kiss on my neck and when he started to suck, I remembered that it's where the hickey was.

I squirmed underneath him. "Henry…"

"I will give you a thousand more just so everyone will know," he said and I moaned because I felt his voice rumbling through his chest, vibrating against my breasts. Instinct made me press myself more against him. Oh god. I was feeling the voice that had told me how beautiful I was and that I was a good person.

I never knew something like that could make me wetter than before.

Henry's kisses made a wet path down the upward curve of my breasts, and I moaned when I felt one large hand cup my left breast and squeeze.

I was surprised by how effortlessly I moaned around Henry. I'd never admitted to anyone that I'd faked it a lot with my last boyfriend. This time I couldn't help it, moaning uncontrollably as he pumped my breast in his hand. My body jerked when his thumb whisked by my hard nipple, the light friction from the robe making me even more sensitive.

Attentive to my needs, Henry picked up my reaction to his touch and began steadily rubbing my nipple in his thumbs, having taken my other breast in his hand too to mimick the movements. I thrashed under him, my hands on his wrists now.

"Valerie," he said huskily and before long his tongue was on the robe over my left nipple. I didn't feel the wetness immediately, just the feel of his tongue probing at me until I could feel him. The warm wetness of the robe added another sensation that made me scream out and spear my fingers into his hair.

Henry moaned and gave the other nipple the same action, and I was so lost in him, I didn't stop him like I normally would have when he peeled my robe further down to reveal my breasts.

When I felt the cool air though, it hit me, and I went rigid, clamoring for the robe to conceal me from him.

"Wait…no!"

The lightning outside might as well struck between us two because the heated moment was rudely interrupted by me. Henry blinked out of a daze, lifting his gaze up to me. My eyes flittered away in shame and this time I couldn't hide the onslaught of tears that rushed to me. I shrunk below him, hating the vivid proof that I possibly might never get over the insecurities of my body. I was so angry with myself at that moment.

What had I expected to happen though? People didn't just kiss forever, but I'd do that at the risk of turning him away once he saw all of me. This is why I couldn't give him everything. I didn't want to scare him away

"Sorry," Henry said gruffly above me, still trying to labor his breaths.

"No. I'm sorry, it's just…it's ugly," I whispered and clutched my eyes in defeat, letting the fat tears roll.

"Valerie…" Henry muttered softly.

"You'll hate it. You'll hate it." My eyes were clutched tight as my past clawed at me with as much mercy as a beast from hell had. I held the robe so tight to me my hands shook and my nails were biting into my palms. I waited for Henry to just get up in a huff and I would never blame him for it.

When I felt him shift I was ready for the feeling of bereavement when all I felt were light kisses on the closed fists that were my hands. The kisses were unhurried, taking one knuckle after the other. 

"You don't have to hide from me," he murmured and continued to kiss my palms. I chancily opened my eyes to find his shaggy haired head bobbing up and down, his eyes closed as he began lightly nipping on the back of my hand.

"Don't hide from me," he encouraged and before I knew it my fists were relaxing under his delicate kisses. Once they were relaxed, Henry uncurled the now loose fingers and turned one hand over, kissing the center of my palm. When he reached for the other one, I willfully opened the palm without needing his help, and he moaned low in appreciation as he nipped the plump portion of my palm, before pressing his lips against it.

I watched him in awe through wet eyes when he finally lifted his gaze, looking at me through his enviable eleshases. His eyes were approachable but I knew he was trying his best to control his lust.

"I'm so hopeless with this, i'm sorry," I croaked out embarrassedly and Henry shook his head, pressing my palm up to his mouth.

"You are not hopeless. Don't say that."

My eyes stung again and I looked to my side, as that was my only solace from not seeing him witnessing me blush.

"Let me see you, love."

I gulped hard at Henry's gentle plea as he took both hands and placed them on either side of my head. When I closed my eyes and didn't resist his placement of my hands, he knelt in between my legs. 

He undid the belt and I was gripped painfully by anxiety, doubt, fear, and a bit of sorrow that this was probably going to be it with Henry and I.

My eyes remained clutched shut, painfully so. I was preparing myself not to see what I was sure would come: the look of horror and disgust one he saw my disfiguring scars.

I'd had to have surgery for excess skin from losing weight too fast and while Ella promised me it looked natural I still felt self-cautious about it. What bothered me the most about my physical appearance though, was my stretch marks. My stretch marks weren't just the regular, faintly tinted kind most people had. They were long, some very thick, and with my bright skin, they were jarringly visible. Cause I couldn't afford the laser surgery removal and was saving up for it, I'd been using all these special creams for months and they were taking forever to go away. 

Something happened six months ago, a thing I brought up when we were leaving Seaburger and I was panicking. Even though Ella had told me it had only happened that while ago, it didn't mean I wasn't still suffering the brunt of it.

About six months ago I was determined to prove to myself that I was over my past. I also wanted to test and prove that men did prefer smaller women. Of course I'd been nervous about my stretch marks, but they were a natural part of women so I thought any other mature man would understand why I had them.

The man I'd gone home with had been so ready to bed me until he got me naked. I could never erase the look on his face ever since then. It was like he'd seen the most ghastly thing in his life, and had uttered 'what the fuck is this?'.

I had felt repulsive many times in my life, but never like then. It made me wonder if that's how George always wanted to look at me.

He told me his dick had softened and he had to go. He had nothing to lose with being brutally honest with me. I'd given him a fake name and I was sure he'd either given me his first name or a fake name. We didn't know each other and had met on the dance floor. It further proved that I just couldn't do that one night stand thing.

On one hand I was glad because I truthfully, deep, down inside wasn't comfortable with having a one night stand. On the other, I felt undesirable, reminded of many other moments in my life only this time the pain was magnified.

I really really liked Henry. I didn't care for that guy. I just couldn't stand the thought of a guy that I'd grown to like, and maybe even started to care for, might just hold that same expression that had deepened scars, reopened older ones, and created newer ones.

I was just about to push him off when I twitched to his feather light touch on my stomach. along with a wondrous whisper of my name.

"Valerie…"

My eyes batted open, spilling withheld tears. For many moments my vision was blurred and when a few more tears fell, I glanced down to find Henry knelt over me. His facial expression made me catch my breath.

I listened to my hushed breaths against the light drumming of rain. The room was still dark, but I could make out his features i the soft candlelight. His gentle eyes, flickering in the dark, looked over me with great concentration. And dare I say, admiration.

For a while I lay there like a lifeless log, I wasn't even sure I was breathing.

No one had ever looked at me like this. As with most things that we're unaware of, I began to get scared and the fear soon turned into panic.

No one could ever find my stretch marks attractive. No one.

Yet, I never thought I'd get on a plane on a work night and club in Hollywood. I never thought I could show anyone other than Ella and some distant friends my passion for games without being ridiculed. I never thought I'd have an impromptu prom night by the ocean. Never thought I'd have bangers and mash. I never thought my favorite time of the day would constantly change because things kept getting better and better…

Until I met Henry Walker.

It was in that moment that my thoughts the night we met at The Tavern came crashing to me.

My gut had been right. Henry Walker was indeed changing my life.

I tried to move away, but Henry's hands moved to my hips to stop me.

"Be still, love. Relax."

Henry's soothing voice surprisingly calmed me down, although the gentleness of it made my eyes well up more. He'd asked me what a fantasy of mine was last night, and this was one of them. I'd always hoped I'd find a guy who truthfully and genuinely was in awe of my body, a body I'd been taught to hate for as long as I could remember.

He held my waist firmly, squeezing with his palms pressing against those very stretch marks I hated with a passion.

"This is not ugly. You are not," he whispered to me and my eyes stung once again as I felt pain within my body. It's like Henry was trying to breach the last protective lock I had over my soul to release all the pain. I turned away, unable to hold his sincere gaze.

"You are like nothing else I have seen before, Valerie. Beautiful."

I whimpered and closed my eyes this time because I felt him peering into my dark soul as his eyes roved over my body. He obviously knew something was wrong and was telling me what I wanted, maybe even needed, but feared to hear. His words were very healing, but they were also scary. There was a familiarity to them that made me anxious and restless. Something kept telling me to leave while I still had the chance. I scooted back and Henry's throaty laughter filled up my quiet room.

He held my waist and stopped me from moving further and moved up till his lips aligned with mine.

"Valerie, Valerie, valerie. Are you trying to run away from me."

"I-I think we should go," I whispered feebly and his eyes lit up.

"Are you afraid?" he asked and I nodded. And then I shook my head. I was obviously confused.

He kissed me gently for several moments and spoke in hushed tones. "Don't be. Just relax. Let me take care of you."

I peered at him through my wet, clamped eye lashes, feeling so embarrassed that I simply couldn't get through this entire ordeal like a normal human being. I was still an emotional mess from him kissing the scars of my past, caressing them like they were wondrous pieces of art.

When I felt Henry on the light curve of my stomach, Henry held me tighter, almost painfully, because my automatic reaction was to flee. But he continued to kiss me unabated, sliding his tongue against the markings of my fluctuating weight, the markings which society taught us to believe were disfiguring and unnatural.

Henry savored my skin, no matter that it wasn't perfectly smooth, and took his time as though he wanted me to know he appreciated each and every stretch mark. He even held the small curve of my stomach in his teeth, nipping his way all across, skating his tongue over my skin. I never thought my waist would be such an erogenous zone. My fingers were now getting lost in Henry's hair as he loved my stomach. Then he shocked me when he pulled my hands away and turned me over until I was on my stomach. I was too surprised to even comprehend what was going on but didn't have to wait long.

"Henry--" I gasped when I felt him kissing the inner curve of my lower back. He grabbed handfuls of my derriere, squeezing as he began to hungrily nip across my back where more of my stretch marks were.

"I'm going to kiss and bite all of these marks until you learn to love the fact that they're there." His muffled, hungered words made tears sting my eyes when I felt his lips all over me. He made me shifty and restless underneath, I had to clutch onto the wrinkled robe that lay on my bed like shed skin. He made me feel so good I never wanted to wear it again.

"Henry," I whimpered, my sliding legs only reminding me how sticky I was in between them as Henry run a wet stripe up my spine, sending endless shivers through me.

Henry turned me around again and surprised me when he impatiently nuzzled the trimmed delta of my private part.

I sighed shakily and looked down at him in surprise when he pulled back, parting my thighs.

He was quiet for several moments while my face burned fiercely. Not even my last boyfriend had been face to face with my pussy like that. His eyes were enraptured, burning with an intensity that only made my womanhood twitch and wetter. The action made Henry close his eyes as he breathed deeply with a shake of his head as though trying to contain himself. He literally looked like he would lose it any moment.

He licked his bottom lip, bit it and stared at my wetness in consternation, like he was really trying hard to keep from the temptation staring right at him. I was about to ask him what was wrong, I couldn't stop squirming in front of him and this time Henry hadn't stilled my hips like usual. His eyes seemed to dilate with each movement I made.

"Look at those pretty little lips," Henry muttered quietly, his voice husky with want. My hands squeezed the sheet beside my thigh. I bit my lip nervously and tried to close my legs but Henry wasn't having that. He kept me open for his viewing pleasure.

"And they're all mine..." he murmured more to himself. I don't even think I was meant to hear those words.

I didn't know what to say. I was still embarrassed and nervous.  Dear god, what was I going to do. I didn't think I could handle any of this.  I was still an emotional wreck over him seeing the one thing that shamed me horribly. My mind was still trying to process all of this, how a good guy who came from nowhere could suddenly befall me and do all of this. There had to be an ulterior motive

"You look so sweet…" He whispered against me, his cool breath rushing against my sensitive skin.

A small cry shot up my throat as my hips agitated restlessly.

"Fuck, Valerie…" he groaned as though it pained him to just watch. I blushed something fierce at the thought of him staring at me so intently in a place that was so private, a place no one had seen before.

The thought made me fearful and I didn't realize I was a bit too shifty until Henry spoke.

"Relax, Valerie."

I wanted to tell him that I was trying, but I couldn't. I think I was on the brink of having a panic attack but I couldn't stop.

"It's okay baby," He promised in a heavy voice as he parted my knees again and started pressing firm kisses down my inner thigh. The sensation of his curls, curls that I'd admired so many times, tickling my skin as he lowered down onto me excited me with shocking strength.

I tried as hard as I could to to remain calm, but the closer Henry got to my soaking center, the harder it became.

"It's okay," he whispered against the delicate skin next to my throbbing center.

My body jolted when he touched my soaking lips with his fingers.

"Fuck…" he rasped as he used the ball of his fingers to explore my slippery, sensitive folds. He had no choice but to still my hips with his one hand as he touched me.

I gasped when he trailed his finger up and down my labia. Then he used one finger one lip and another finger to rub the other.

"Henry…" I moaned, knowing I was basically drenching his fingers now. His gentle touch was giving me a buzz throughout my entire body. My worries began to drift away and without much control I slipped into the feeling of him touching me, welcoming it more and more with each explorative touch. I'd be okay with him doing this the entire night because it felt so good.

He was being careful with me, like I was a prize he didn't want to break. It almost made my heart ache.

Just when I thought it couldn't get any better, he touched my clit, and my body jerked violently.

"Henry!"

Henry's hard fingers pressed into my soft flesh as he kept me still and groaned as he continued to rub his finger in circular motions around my clit. The pad of what I guessed was his thumb sent shivers spiraling all through me.

"You feel so good baby…" he muttered in a daze as he kept rubbing me. A foreign feeling began to overtake my body, an onslaught of tingles, which suddenly stopped when Henry stopped rubbing my clit and began probing at my center.

My eyes opened and I stiffened as he rubbed the unyielding entrance of my body.

"Fuck. So tight…" he strained.

I gasped when he breached me and slid some of his finger into my slippery walls. A long moan escaped me and I arched when he slid his finger out slowly, clearly enjoying every moment, and sliding back in just as slow as though he never wanted this moment to end. I was being savored.

I could hear his labored breaths now over my own, as I tried to control my breathing.

"You get more and more beautiful by the second, Valerie. So wet…"

He began to steadily thrust his finger in and out of me, taking his time. It's like he wanted to relish feeling me out like this would be his one and only time to do so. Being treated as something so rare and precious, like an amazing comet that you'd only get to witness once in your lifetime, filled me with a plethora of feelings that I couldn't put into words.

My body couldn't stay still and it wasn't long before I was shamelessly lifting my hips to meet his thrusts. Whatever he was doing just felt too good and I forgot about being inexperienced or having a dodgy past.

"Yes baby," he hissed encouragingly, his voice roughened with tempered excitement over my movements. He slid in a second finger, the added girth stretching me wonderfully. "Just like that…"

My neck arched at the altered feeling.

"He…H…" I couldn't even get his whole name out. I was out of breath. He worked me with two fingers for a while, with me enjoying every moment of it and wanting more.

He must have read my mind because he did give me more.

I choked out a sob when he started rubbing my hyper sensitive clit while still gently finger fucking me.

The added caress of his thumb re-invited those foreign tingles that had come to me previously. Just as that heavenly feeling permeated through my body, Henry began a 'hooking' motion with his fingers, curling upward, and brushing against a spot I'd never known of before that made me cry out loudly. I didn't think I could feel better but he proved me wrong.

I felt him shifting above me and could feel his body heat looming above my body.

Worrying my bottom lip with my teeth, my hands gripped his arms and I creamed more at the flexing muscles beneath my palms. I kept my eyes closed, very aware that he was watching me, especially with his next words proving that.

"So beautiful," he murmured when I'm sure he felt more hot wetness coating his fingers. 

He continued to rub against this special spot inside me and the tingling sensation around my body became stronger. My hips were undulating uncontrollably and and legs shifted restlessly while my hands run up and down his arms as though they would give me some kind of control. I didn't know what to do with the pervasive pleasure that took control of my body. The sheets and robe beneath me were warm from all my moving around, I knew my hair was a mess, I knew I looked shameless my legs open with a man's fingers in between but whatever he was doing with his hand made all those things irrelevant as the tingling intensified.

Then out of nowhere I was struck hard with an inexplicable feeling. I lost total control like never before, screaming out loud as pleasure and some weightless feeling took over me. It's like I was possessed, even the way my body stiffened as the waves crushed through me.

Somewhere in the distance I heard Henry moaning my name but I wasn't sure. When I finally came down from my high, I felt wetter in between my legs where Henry's hands still went to work.

My body convulsed from the potency of the feeling that just rocked me as well as the shock of it all. I couldn't linger in shock for too long, because Henry wasn't done. I could only wonder what could be better than this. He hadn't even penetrated me and I felt satisfied, but I strangely still craved for more.

I suddenly realized that this was an orgasm. This is why Savannah eyed me like I was crazy when I said I hadn't had one. Now I see why.

Moaning my name, Henry moved back down till he was face to face with my wetness, this time so close that his breathing tickled me. He wasted no time, closing the distance between us and taking a languid swipe of my soppy folds, my gasp sharp as well as the arch of my back. An elongated groan grated Henry's throat and he held my agitating hips firmly, taking another hungry lick of me.

I panted, grabbing his head and trying to push him away, but I was already weakened by his touch, so my push wasn't effective.

"You taste so fucking good…my god…" his voice shook as if the shock of it all hit him harder than he'd ever expected. His genuine shock surprised me. Weren't all women the same? Why was he sounding like this was a new, out of body experience that he'd never gone through before? My entire body, which was already floating, soared higher just from his words. I know these were just physical acts, but to be treated as though I was so special to another human being, that something about me was so mind-blowing to someone else that they couldn't speak, it shook me to my very soul.

He pulled me by my hips back to him, sliding me across the creased sheets. My back arched sharply when his warm tongue dipped into me. The tip of his tongue moved about, sending several sensations throughout my body.

"Henry please," I panted as I tried to make some sense of what was occurring. No sense could be made.

Henry pried my legs further apart, and I was far too crazed by then to even care. With my legs far enough for Henry's liking, a steady thrusting of his tongue, in, out, in, out, commenced. That's when I fully surrendered. The chain that locked me in a cage broke free and I screamed out, clamping handfuls of his strands. He went from straight thrusts to swirling his tongue when he was in me, searching and tasting. And when he slid his tongue out he swirled it around the tight opening before pushing his way back in, the unyielding walls making him groan in deep appreciation. He was determined to drive me mad from pleasure, and that only turned me on more.

Just when I thought I'd reached the highest form of pleasure, his tongue leisurely snaked up to my clit. One delicate swipe against the sensitive nerves of flesh sent my body jerking violently.

"Henry…" I whimpered shakily, astounded, shocked and a bit frightened because I'd never felt anything like it.  The pleasure was so mind boggling I knew for a fact I couldn't handle it if he did it again.

"Mmm…" Henry moaned, vibrating against my delicate flesh. I gasped and looked down to find the wicked gleam that had hibernated in his green eyes the few times I'd met him, bright and in full effect.

There was no hiding the dark side in him now.

I felt scared yet excited and oh so overwhelmed I began to scoot backwards.

"That's eno--"

He grabbed my hips again, keeping me still, and flicked his tongue over my throbbing clit again. I screamed out, fisting the rumpled bedsheets beneath me, my head flinging to one side and then the other.

He did it again, quicker this time whisking only the tip of his tongue back and forth against on the most sensitive part of my clit, where the feeling of being touched was so strong I felt it throughout my entire body. The feathery touch sent powerful charges of pleasure throughout my body and I cried out, writhing like never before.

Oh god. So this is what it was supposed to be like. This is why women ranted and raved about someone going down on them. I prayed Henry wouldn't let me come out of this a crazed woman.

Henry's closed his full, puckered lips around my clit and began gentle pulls, his jaw muscles flexing as he did so. My back arched off the bed yet again and I bit my lip so hard I was sure it would be bruised later.

He then began carefully, curiously circling my clit with his eager tongue as he sucked at an unhurried pace that caused tears to eke out of my eyes, the sensation was so dominant. My hands thrashed along the disheveled bed restlessly because I couldn't move away. Somehow one hand held my head when I felt it was explode from the mind blowing pleasure and the other gripped the back of his head, twisting his ringlets in my hands for lack of any other way to handle the pleasure. 

Henry continued on, sucking and curling his tongue over me. I eventually began to feel the familiar, delicious pull in my womb, my body starting to tingle all over yet again, making me weak. Fuck. It was happening again.

Henry moaned deeply again. It was the fact that it was that deep voice I enjoyed so much was on my most intimate body part, the vibrations buzzing along my clit coupled with the never-ending sucking of his lips made me come undone.  My body went taut as endless tingling waves of pleasure swept through me all over again. The orgasm hit me so hard my mind blacked out for a couple of seconds and I forgot everything else other than what my body was experiencing and who was creating that experience for me.

As black specks disappeared from my eyes when I opened them, I weakly tried to catch respite, but it seemed the beast inside of Henry he'd been trying to guard up the moment he walked in my room was out and raging.

"More. I need more," he breathed roughly, desperately, a man far gone from his desire. I began to wonder if all this hunger flushing out of him was something he'd been dying to keep inside of himself. He was unapologetic in his level of want and it turned me on so much.

His large hands pressed flat on either side of my inner thighs as he kept me open for him. He was on me once again this time to give my aching womanhood a languid kiss. What the hell was happening? I didn't complain though. I knew we'd be running late, but I too wanted more.

I had never felt more amazing in my life.

"Henry," I whimpered weakly, unable to fight it anymore. I just took this unmitigated bliss as it came. The languid kisses, with him pressing his lips firmly against my labia, became short, sucking kisses as he sampled each of my lips.

"Mmm. Most beautiful lips ever," he said, his lips rubbing against me before he continued kissing me, this time with his tongue unhurriedly tasting each lip. My breaths gushed in short puffs, my body and mind reeling. Using two fingers he parted the folds and nudged my entrance with the ball of his tongue but never entered me, making me lose it again. Then he tore his mouth from me, and teased my entrance with the ball of two fingers before slipping in with a groan.

"Valerie," He gasped when my walls closed tight over him. He slurred a curse word as he began steadily thrusting in and out of me slickly and pickied up the pace. I began to lift my hips to meet his thrusts, making Henry swear under his breath. I could feel my desire dribbling onto his fingers. He began to rub my clit again, making me cinch the bedsheets. But he stopped and replaced his finger on my clit with his mouth, all the while thrusting in and out of me.

When Henry began curling his finger, rubbing my spot, along with flicking his tongue over my clit while sucking me into his mouth, I began to lose control. Again. I'd never been in a situation where something that was so good made me want to stop. I think I didn't like the feeling of not having any control, similar to the feeling I got whenever Henry was in close proximity of me.

This orgasm thing was the same exact feeling. I felt helpless with no reign over my life. This was the one thing I was always warned against, not having control over my emotions or my life.

This orgasm hit me hardest. A string of them seemed to strike me one after the other because Henry wouldn't stop savoring my clit like it was his last feast and boy was he enjoying it. He was shameless in his devouring, uncaring of the sound sucking and groaning. As the back to back orgasms tunneled through me, my body shook, Henry gripping me until he had every last drop, until he licked me clean.

My body was wrought and tired but I also felt pretty heavenly. I experienced an elation I could only compare to the one I felt after I saw Henry aiding that homeless guy, meaning my feelings weren't just purely physical but very emotional.

I didn't know if i was shaking because of the emotional impact I was feeling or the physical. Henry and I had already blurred those lines a long time ago.

I lay there in a panting heap, convulsing as the last remnants of the powerful orgasm slowly left me.

Several quiet moments passed while the real world resurrected back to life. The soft roll of thunder reminded me that it was still raining outside, and I acknowledged the rain softly pelting against the rooftop. Henry finally shifted, catching his breath with his lips pressed against my inner thigh, his breaths rushing against my sensitive skin.  I bit the satisfied smile that claimed my lip. As I wiped the new tears that had rolled down my temple, I felt how dewy my face was as a small sheen of perspiration had formed on my skin.

Wanting to know if this was real, my hands trailed down till I felt Henry's satiny curls and I shuddered.

This was real. This had just happened.

Henry lifted his damp lips from my thigh and lightly trapped some skin in his teeth, worrying it a bit to get a reaction out of me. He chuckled when I shifted and a small sound issued up my throat. Shifting reminded me that his fingers were still deeply embedded in me. As if remembering the same thing, Henry extracted his fingers and went really quiet. Curiously I looked down to find him sucking on the two fingers, his dark lashes cresting over his flushed cheeks. My face went warm and I looked up as another warmth rushed to my vagina, making my clit twitch with want. I couldn't do this again without going insane.

To my fortune, he crawled back up my trembling body instead of giving me more than I could handle for now. He made lingering pit stops to kiss right around the belly that used to shame me so much. I cried out when he kissed the valley in between my breasts. He groaned when he took one beady nipple into his mouth and pulled vigorously in his mouth. I cried out and he relaxed, his suctioning gentler. I began to shift, wetness pulling at my center again.

I sighed a bereft sigh when Henry smoothed his lips away from my nipple as he pulled back and landed on my collarbone. Then my neck. Then my cheek.

"See how wonderful you taste," he rasped before finding my lips and shoving his tongue into my mouth, rubbing it provocatively and shamelessly against my tongue. I moaned into him, my hands finding his shoulders and digging, reminding me he still had his clothes on. I wanted them off and started bunching up his t-shirt but got distracted by the smooth, rippled muscles of his defined stomach. The feeling alone made me wetter and I reached further down till I could feel the 'v' that had gotten me hot and bothered earlier.

Henry's breathing increased the more I touched him. Kneeling, he took my he took my hands into his and interlaced his fingers with mine, lifting them till they were on either side of my head. He wasn't letting me touch him as much as I wanted to and I had a feeling it was his way to exert some kind of control over himself.

"Better than I imagined," he whispered, our hands still locked right above my head, as he lowered and kissed me.

He finally pulled back and said in a low delicate voice in my ear, "Happy Birthday," then I heard the teasing smirk in his voice as he whispered, "27."

Chapter 12 by notheruniverse

 

 

Chapter 12

 

"Are you alright?" Henry asked, with me gathered snuggly to his side. As I lay on him with my head on his chest, I tried to understand what had just happened. I was feeling all kinds of emotions as I listened to droplets of water outside after the rains had stopped.

 

"Yes," I said quietly, wondering why I couldn't shake the odd feeling around me. The vibes I felt from Henry were different too. His body was tense unlike usual. It didn't pass me that he wouldn't let me touch him the way he'd touched me, and I was the only one naked while he was still fully clothed. I was still shocked by how much I wanted him. Honestly if he was receptive I would have given him everything on the spot and the enormity of how ready I was to do that, without so much as a second thought, was a bit scary.

 

The powerful effect Henry had on me I was finding out was something I not only just didn't like, but detested. I was even more confused with him not wanting me to return the favor, and boy was I ready to, even after I'd sworn I never would after George.

 

Henry didn't ask when my thoughts instinctually made me move away from him. I was suddenly very aware that I was naked and pulled the robe around my body as I sat up, Henry moving accommodatingly so that I could get the robe from under him. Why was it so fucking awkward?

 

Why couldn't I just relax? I was feeling so vulnerable having never let go like that, and the last time I did…

 

Maybe it's because I felt how tense Henry was. Maybe after the throes of passion he was realizing that he hated my stretch marks?

 

"I-I'm gonna get rid of them. Soon." I started to ramble, stuttering helplessly and clutching my eyes in regret as soon as the words got out, tightening the robe around my waist so restrictively it hurt.

 

"Get rid of what?" Henry asked from behind me.

 

I was a bit annoyed with how clueless he was looking at me with his hands casually tucked behind him and one booted foot crossed over the other. Looking at his close to perfect form only made me more self-conscious about my body and I tightened the belt around me even more."The marks"

 

"For yourself, I hope. I don't mind them." A wicked light lit up his eyes. "I like biting them."

 

Henry surprised me when he grabbed my hand and yanked me to him, making me fall unceremoniously on top of him on the bed. I was exhilarated by the sudden, unexpected movement. Henry's lips were quickly on me for  languid kiss. I fell right into it immediately. When he pulled back I was even more breathless than when he pulled me down to him and my body was responding to him immediately.

 

"Are you sure you're alright?" he asked and the concern etched all over his face made me calm just a little bit.

 

"Yeah. I just…yeah."

 

What I wanted to say was I'd never partaken in a sexual act with someone I wasn't in a relationship with. Why was I making a mountain out of a mole hill? This was nice because there was no binding 'contract' between us. After this, I was still free to do what I wanted, even though a simmering part of me wanted to jump on Henry and rip his clothes off. I didn't want to do that with anyone else, at least not now.

 

I tried to read Henry's mind, but I couldn't. I mean, what did this mean? To him? Okay, I was thinking too much about this.

 

"Hmmm…" Henry hummed unconvincingly, his brows knotted as he stared at me thoughtfully.

 

"Okay," he finally sighed and I sighed inwardly with relief and rested my head against his chest, rather enjoying the simple feeling. Being pressed against the hard muscles of his body not only turned me on but made me feel all funny inside. Like it made me feel safe in a really corny but undeniable way. Henry's fingers combed into my damp hair and rubbed my scalp soothingly. Such a simple action made me want to smile big.

 

It felt so good I could just lay with him like this for hours.

 

"I remember…" I was about to say but didn't vocalize my thoughts because I realized how they would have scared him. What I wanted to say was that I remembered being in high school and wondering if these were the kinds of things girls did with their boyfriends on lazy Saturday afternoons. My particular fantasy was skipping school with him and just lazying around in his room on a rainy day, talking about our future, or something like music.

 

"What?" Henry asked. He no longer felt tense and sounded rather comfortable, like he didn't want to move either. I decided to just play pretend for a second.

 

"Who's your favorite female singer right now?" i asked.

 

"I think Rihanna is the epitome of perfection right now. Katy Perry but Rihanna is like, my top favorite."

 

"Rihanna?"

 

"Perfection."

 

When I lifted my head to look at him blankly, he went on just to annoy me. "Like there's nothing you can tell me about her."

 

"Goat," I said in retaliation of the running joke that she sounded like a goat even though I truly liked her unique voice. I honestly secretly liked her music as well. It's just that she was one of those celebrities that made me want to walk around with a hooded robe and a bag over my head. Yeah I was jealous of her appearance.

 

Henry narrowed his eyes. "I think we're done talking for the moment. Unless you meant greatest of all time…"

 

"Are you serious?"

 

"I don't play where my devotion is concerned with that flawless woman. Like if she asked me to give her my soul right now, at this moment, I completely would…Oh Rihanna I love you…"

 

I rolled my eyes at him.

 

"What about you? Who's your fav guy?"

 

"Usher."

 

"…He's alright. Bruno Mars is better."

 

"I like Bruno Mars but Usher isn't just alright."

 

"He's alright compared to Bruno. Wow you're really mad aren't you? Were you planning on having Usher's baby or something?"

 

"Yes I was and I will some day." I could only imagine how starry my eyes looked. Sometimes the conversations Henry and I had one would be hard pressed to believe that we were over the age of 15 but that's why I liked us. Even though there technically was no us.

 

I had to keep reminding myself that.

 

"That doesn't sound crazy at all," Henry teased me.

 

"Calling Rihanna perfect isn't even one ounce crazy."

 

"It's fact. Is this your devil alter ego? What should we name her? Satan?" he said it with the sweetest smile.

 

I rolled my eyes and suddenly my entire body froze. I sat up, then looked at the clock and reacted like I'd been shocked by electricity.

 

"What?" Henry asked drowsily, lifting himself on his elbows as I scrambled to my feet.

 

"I'm late! Like 30 minutes late!"

 

"For what?"

 

I stared at him like he was an idiot. "Dinner. Birthday dinner. She's gonna be so mad--"

 

I was moving so quickly and so frantically I tripped over my own feet onto the hard floor.

 

"Are you okay?"

 

I heard Henry asking as he lazily tried to wake himself up.

 

"I'm okay." I assured him, my palms pressing onto the cold wood, pushing myself upward only to see a mischievous yet proud smirk erasing the earlier worry on his face.

 

"Was it my tongue that made you fall--okay I see the devil's eyes. Gonna go wait in the sitting room."

 

 

***

 

"Half of the guests left. I can't believe you. I'm so angry the only reason I'm not ripping your head off is because Grandma is here."

 

The earful I expected from Ella came in full force after I made a small apology tour around the table.

 

We'd finally sat down and I was looking around in a daze. Even though Henry and I had a very lighthearted moment that had eased the tension, the awkwardness and intensity of what happened followed us when we were driving to the restaurant. We were both very stiff, very quiet, and tense. I wondered why but dared not to ask. Henry didn't either. I just hoped he didn't think it was all a mistake. I tried to convince myself it was but I couldn't. I'd enjoyed every moment of it so much that I was still shocked. Still dazed. Still confused as to whether I was currently alive or not. I was in a daze.

 

Henry and I had showed up late and while I looked very sheepish and impish, Henry was calm as an expert that had done this plenty of times, one couldn't even guess he'd just murdered me with his tongue. I couldn't properly focus on much of anything, which only irritated Ella more.

 

"What's wrong with you?" she hissed when I didn't respond.

 

"I…uh…"

 

She began to get uncomfortable and asked me with a hint of concern. "Valerie what happened?"

 

"I had my first orgasm," I told her unable to withhold it anymore and all of Ella's riling came to a screeching halt. She sat back in the chair, now suddenly patient as the look of anger melted from her features. It seemed I'd found a new weapon to use against her the next time she was angry with me.

 

"Say what now?"

 

"I had my first orgasm. Well, orgasms," I answered as I cautiously looked around me. Thankfully Henry wasn't even sparing me any attention and I could be brutally honest without his eyes on me. Now that it was over, I could ruminate over the chaos and wonder what the fuck had really happened. It wasn't one of those situations where I could question the realness because damn it I still felt his lips on me. It's like that was his intention. He wanted to tattoo himself on me.

 

I nearly slapped my cheeks they were burning so hot and my heart was racing so fast I wanted to clutch it to make it stop.

 

But why when…he didn't want a relationship? Now that I had time to come down from my high, I was replaying everything that happened and so many questions kept popping in my head.

 

Wait. Hold up. Why was I worried about him wanting a relationship? I didn't want one either. We'd already laid the law for that. We both knew what we wanted and that wasn't each other.

 

We just…wanted each other. Physically. That was totally different…right?

 

Okay I wasn't going to allow myself to get complicated with it.

 

When I looked at him again, all the confusion left and my eyes zeroed in on his lips.

 

Every move he made with his mouth almost made me twitch and long with want. Those lips had just devoured me no shorter than an hour ago.

 

"Hello!!!" Ella roughly shook me, then suddenly stood up, yanking me with her. "I'm sorry, could you excuse us???"

 

She didn't wait for a response from the guests, dragging me along with her to the bathroom. Since Henry knew what had just happened I knew it didn’t take rocket science to figure out what I'd just whispered in her ear. I looked over my shoulder to find him waving at me with a smile, showing that he wasn't at all bothered by it. Well, why would he? He knew he was going to get a good report for his tongue work. Tongue work, I can't believe I just thought that.

 

Once we were in the deserted bathroom, Ella started shuffling her feet restlessly and shrieked at the top of her lungs. Getting over my shock, I placed a hand over her mouth in sheer embarrassment. I could not believe how old she was at times but I tended to get a bit immature over things like this too, so I guess that's why we got along so much.

 

"Will you shut up?!?!" I riled her.

 

She ripped my hand from her mouth.

 

"Oh my god!!! So what do you mean you had your first orgasm? George never gave you one?"

 

As usual the mention of George's name turned my world upside down. "Nope."

 

"And you're telling me this now?"

 

"Yes." I didn't bother explaining to her that there were so many things about my relationship with George that she nor anyone else knew anything about.

 

"So…how was it?" she started to wind her hips suggestively. "How's the British D?"

 

"I hate it when you refer to it as that. Stop it!" I said crossly. "And there was no British D." I hesitated before helplessly adding,  speaking as fast as possible before I became a prude once again. "It was a few British fingers and a British tongue." I held my cheeks in shame, looking away. "I can't believe I just said that. You are a horrible influence."

 

"Oh my god girl he ate you out?!"

 

Her voice echoed throughout the empty bathroom.

 

"Just go tell the whole world, why don't you?"

 

"So, how was it?"

 

"We were late weren't we?"

 

Ella squealed with her hands clasped underneath her chin, then she eyed me skeptically. "But why aren't you glowy like you're supposed to be? Was it not good? You look kind of scared?"

 

"I'm scared because it was too good Ella. I orgasmed like…twice then the third time was like," I made a helpless motion with my hands. "Multiple I don't know, can we not discuss this in detail?"

 

"Is this the first time a guy has gone down on you? George never?"

 

"Okay you're asking me way too much now."

 

She finally stopped being comical and stood up against the counter with her arms folded, regarding me pensively.

 

"What?" I asked, mistakenly seeing my reflection in the mirror. I helplessly compared my figure to Ella's thin yet curvaceous body. It only reminded me of what Henry had seen and I kind of felt bad for him.

 

"So I mean…what's the deal between you two?" Ella thankfully pierced into my thoughts and the question shocked me even though the thoughts crossed my mind earlier.

 

"Nothing," I answered both to Ella and myself. There was nothing there. Nothing.

 

Ella lifted a skeptical brow. "Nothing?"

 

At that moment Josephine barged in with all her tall and beautiful glory. The evening dress she wore hugged her slender curves and her skin as always seemed to glow, with the bright red lipstick contrasting amazingly against her ebony skin.

 

"Oh my god I love you guys," She hugged us as an afterthought and I couldn't show how elated I was to see her because she started rambling. "But I just saw this dark dangerous looking guy. Not my style of dress, you know I'm more of a suit and tie womanbut god he has the sexiest British accent--" Josephine suddenly stopped herself and looked at me wide eyed.

 

"That's him isn't it? That's the guy you mentioned on the phone?"

 

"It sure is," Ella confirmed on my behalf and Josephine's eyes lit up with glee. 

 

"That's the guy?!!?! Holy shit!!!" Josephine looked at me appraisingly. "And here I've questioned your taste all these years." She gave me a hug that was basically a headlock. "I think he's the best looking guy you've ever liked. All the guys you've wanted are so Basicville."

 

"Remind me again that you're a well respected lawyer. Basicville? Really," I said dryly.

 

"You have finally come into your own at 27." She gave me a hug.

 

"In more ways than one!" Ella chirped before bursting into laughter.

 

"Why am I not in this joke? Val you lucky whore, he has such a cute smile."

 

"He gave her her first orgasm with that smile!" Ella grinned proudly.

 

"Ella!" I held my head, walking away from them to keep my sanity.

 

"Oh shit!" Josephine gushed and then abruptly looked at me in surprise. "Wait, you've never had an orgasm before him?"

 

"Guys please." I slumped on the wall exhaustingly, almost wishing I hadn't told Ella. "We're grown women. Stop squealing."

 

"I bet he had you squealing. Meeow!!" Ella clawed her fingers, sending Josephine into fits of laughter.

 

I shook my head. An elderly woman walked in and smiled politely at us. We returned her smile and once she entered a stall, Josephine whispered a bit too loudly.

 

"So how is the tongue work???"

 

I grabbed both of their arms and dragged them with me out the restroom. That was the only way they weren't going to keep speaking about it. At least I hoped.

 

When I saw Henry at the table among the other guests I ached with want again and started to get horny. Oh lord, I hope this didn't happen every time I saw him.

 

"He is so fucking fine may the Lord give me strength please!" Josephine exclaimed, making Ella laugh.

 

I winced as I sat sandwiched by my best friends.

 

Ella's mother giggled loud enough for us to hear on the other side of the table and we all shared a glance, mine an expression of bewilderment and Ella tickled to the heavens while Josephine was beyond amused.

 

"I think Mom is ready to drop the panties," Josephine told Ella and I grimaced, burying my face in my hands as Ella conceded.

 

"She's been trying her best not to openly hump his leg the whole evening. Ever since he walked in. Child…"

 

"Guys! Please!"

 

My saving grace came in the form of a group of waiters and waitresses with a beautiful Super Mario themed cake topped with firework candles. I nearly shrieked in excitement, and they blessed us with a comical, unharmonious, but very sweet rendition of happy birthday. It reminded me of Henry's helium-filled happy birthday delivery. And that scented candle. I couldn't help grinning at it all. This might just be the best birthday I'd ever had.

 

"What are those little people on the cake?" Aunt Veronica asked and Henry leaned in to tell her.

 

"So what's your wish before you blow out the candles?" Ella asked. I swept my eyes around the table and my eyes briefly stopped at Henry's face. The look of admiration and contemplation coming from his lit eyes made me blush immensely because I was used to seeing guys give other women they fancied that look, so I quickly looked away because of how great the feeling made me feel.

 

"That's my business you lovely whore," I told Ella with a sweet smile and she laughed.

 

After making my wish, we had to pick out the raging firework candles and handed them to a waitress. I sliced pieces of cake with the help of Ella and served them around the table. I was hoping Ella would serve Henry his cake, being that he was in her path, but she conveniently left him out and I had to give him some.

 

My legs were shaky as I set the plate next to him. Just being near him made me irrationally weak. This doggone school girl crush was grueling.

 

"Thank you madam," He said to me, his gravelly voice grazing the throbbing part of me. I'd literally felt that voice on the most sensitive part of my body. That very voice had made me release in a way like never before.

 

I barely made eye contact or told him he was welcome before I nearly tripped in my haste back to my seat away from him. This was awful. I was pitiful.

 

Once sat beside my girls again, I picked at the cake but didn't eat it. It just wouldn't coincide with my diet.

 

"You should try it. It's good," Ella said from beside me, nearly ten minutes into our conversation and I felt exposed. This was why I hated eating when she was around. She watched me like a hawk whenever I ate. I took a forkful and enjoyed the saccharine delicacy more than I wanted to admit.

 

"Okay so…what's the deal with you both?" Josephine asked.

 

"There's no deal. We're just friends," I explained.

 

"Oh so friends with benefits?"

 

I pondered the question, realizing that's really what it was.

 

"Well, kind of."

 

"I don't know, Val," Ella interjected with a sigh. I shouldn't have been surprised by her tone but I was anyway and looked at her accordingly.

 

"What?"

 

Ella hesitated, then shrugged. "I don't think you can handle that kind of thing."

 

"I think I'm 27 enough to know what I can handle," I said with some bite in my tone that made both Josephine and Ella pause.

 

"Have you guys talked about it?" Ella pressed.

 

"Not really but we both know that we don't want a relationship right now," I explained.

 

"Why not? You guys are cute together," Ella said and I tried not to roll my eyes. Nope. We looked like we didn't match.

 

"Ella, come on, it doesn't always have to result in a relationship," Josephine, to my surprise, came to my defense. While Ella was very overprotective of me, Josephine, though older than both of us, was always of the thought that every adult was free to do as they pleased. She never jumped in and believed everyone should live their life how they want to as long as they aren't hurting anyone. If they made a mistake, then they'd learn from it on their own. If I asked her opinion she'd offer one but for the most part she let everyone be their own judge.

 

"You're acting like you don't know who we're talking about here," Ella said and I didn't appreciate the backhanded comment.

 

"She's not a kid anymore, Ella. You baby her too much. If Val thinks she can handle it, let her handle it. And anyway," she shoved a huge amount of cake in her mouth that wouldn't add one pound to her weight. I envied her for that. "The best lessons are learned through experience, no?"

 

For once Ella kept quiet and that's why I loved Josephine. She was one of the few people that could have the last word with Ella. Still, I couldn't deny that Ella's concerns were sound. For the majority of my life I'd mostly complained about never having a boyfriend, not never having hook ups. I could see where she got the impression that I could only connect with another man if it meant commitment.

 

I was sure that I could pull just 'hanging out' and 'hooking up' thing off. After all, George Simmons had made me swear off relationships until I was at least 40. Maybe 50, and by then, I wouldn't be interested in relationships at all, so it would all work out in the end.

 

Right?

 

Overall, I had the time of my life that day. I couldn't stop hugging Ella. I was thankful for everyone who showed up and made it an important note to call everyone who'd left because I was late. I also noticed that I was ignoring Henry with affect. It was strange but I didn't like how I seemed to fall apart near him. I'd want to hold his hand or hug him if we were close cause I couldn't get enough. I didn't want to publicly lose my mind because of him.

 

A few more people had just left and the table got a bit quiet when a lady with brown, shoulder length hair approached. Just one look at her and you could tell she was a career woman who for the most part put professionalism above all else. Well, the softened expression on her face showed that she'd calmed down just a little bit in recent years.

 

My mother, freckle faced and all, approached the table in a navy blue suit. I wondered when, pushing 60, she would retire, but it didn't look like it would happen any time soon. She was fit as hell, unlike my father who neglected fitness, and her main reason was because she wanted to live long enough to see her firm flourish for years to come. That's why she was grooming my youngest sister Jade to take the same lawyer career path she'd taken. Too bad for her Jade was obsessed with the world of entertainment like the second born had been.

 

While Mom was just like dad, an obsessor of professional success, she had a much softer side and I guess was the other reason I didn't totally go crazy, but her softness came a little too late. I'd already been programmed to focus on education and career at the behest of everything else. She was also an extremely gorgeous woman who had unknowingly made me jealous all my life. She was naturally slim and I always fretted over why I never looked like her. She'd tried to be helpful with tough love over my weight, but little did either of us know that would only add to a low sense of my physical self. In high school this one guy asked me why I wasn't as pretty as my mother once when she'd come to pick me up instead of sending the babysitter of the time to do so.

 

Our relationship had become much better, but I couldn't ignore the sense of more pride and less embarrassment she felt ever since my weight had been lost. Lucky for me academic performance was exception, cause I wondered had I been a 'so-so' student, if my mother would have been proud of me at all and her pride was all I had to hold on to since nothing I did ever seemed to impress my dad.

 

"Hey Mom," I smiled as I stood up to give her a hug and a peck on the cheek.

 

"You look better and better each time, sweety," She complimented, assessing my body as if trying to make sure I hadn't put the pounds back on, like it worried her. I shook my head, remembering that my therapist told me sometimes it was my own paranoia that skewed my perception of my parents. My mother had told me herself I accused her wrongly many times about her intentions in regards to my weight and that I made everything about my weight moreso than others did.

 

"You do too,but that goes without saying," I said. "Everyone, this is my mother," I told some of the friends in attendance that hadn't met her yet and she got a greeting. I sought Henry to find his expression very intrigued and observant as he watched us but not for long, Aunt Vivian stole his attention again. That shameless woman.

 

"So where's dad?" I asked as she occupied the seat beside me cause Ella moved a seat down to accommodate her.

 

"He had an important meeting. He sent these though."

 

The bright bouquet she handed me was the last thing I could ever see my father going out to buy. He was the type who would get mother and I new gadgets for valentine's day, and that's when he even remembered.

 

I smiled wryly as I took the bouquet. "He forgot, didn't he?"

 

My mother tried to save face, her face beaming into a forced smile. "No of course not!"

 

I shook my head. "Yeah he did." I smiled thankfully at my mother. "It's okay. Not the first time. Thanks for coming mom."

 

My mom patted my hand and handed me a gift of her own, a book about becoming vegetarian. I forced a smile and hugged her tight, telling myself it's the thought that counted. She soon went to sit by Aunt Vivian, her younger sister. Josephine returned to the table and her, Ella and I made small talk when Josephine suddenly started grinning, looking behind me. I followed her gaze to see that Henry was walking over to us. My heart began hammering at my chest.

 

Ella saw him too and started squealing.

 

"Oh god he's coming over here," Ella whispered.

 

"And he's tall! He's actually tall! Maybe, what, 6'3?" Josephine gushed.

 

"You guys shut up!" I grated and smiled painfully when he was near us.

 

"Hello ladies."

 

I saw Josephine's jaw go slack from periphery but didn't bother confirming it. I'm sure most people were surprised when they heard how deep his voice was.

 

"Henry! Loving the jacket you rocker you," Ella said and he nodded affably.

 

"Thank you." His eyes switched to Josephine, who was staring at him open mouthed, I swear she was seconds away from drooling. "I don't think we've met before." Henry held out his hand to her. "You are?"

 

"Charmed…" Josephine said and while Ella laughed I looked at my friend in shock. It was rare that anyone ever got Josephine speechless. And the one word she had to use was 'charmed'. How much lamer could she get?

 

Henry's eyebrows lifted, but he eventually just smiled and nodded while shaking her hand.

 

"Interesting…" He tried to pull his hand away when the shake was over but Josephine held on. Even I couldn't help but laugh. This was a sight to see for someone who liked her guys tall, dark, and handsome like the Djimon Hounsou type yet here she was, latching onto Henry Walker. Ella poked her side and Josephine let go, completely unashamed by how smitten she was. I knew part of it was her just playing around, which was why I loved my friends so much. We could all be silly together without shame; well them more than me.

 

Henry, an easy going fella, took it all in stride and just smiled while pocketing his hands in his back pockets and rocking on the heel of his shoes.

 

"May I kidnap the birthday girl for a while?" he asked next.

 

"Please do. Pleeeaase!" Ella begged, basically pushing me off the chair so roughly in nearly fell. "Take all the time you need Henry."

 

"Okay…" Henry said with a laugh as he stepped aside to give me room. As we left, I spotted my mom's curious gaze and felt it all the way out of the restaurant, especially since Henry had his hand on my lower back. Once we were outside, Henry wasted no time pulling me to him and brandishing my lips with his.

 

When we pulled back I was speechless in shock cause for starters I'd never kissed a guy in front of my mom and I knew she could see us through the large display window of the restaurant. Not to mention the bright lights that displayed the restaurant name were bathing Henry and I right now. Yeah, they all saw us.

 

"I have to go," he said ruefully and I reacted like I'd been slapped into reality.

 

"What?!"

 

"I'm running late actually. I have a flight to catch, remember."

 

"But you just got here!" I clutched onto his shirt dramatically and he laughed as he took my hands in his and kissed the knuckles.

 

"I'm not even supposed to be here. I have to be in Paris."

 

"Wh--Oh then why did you come if you had so much to do?"

 

"I had to see you on your birthday. Figure out why you hate them so much."

 

I blushed and felt a bit confused. Was that too much when we had just met? Should I have been worried? As if realizing he'd said too much too, Henry broke eye contact and let go of my hands slowly. Worrying his plump bottom lip with his teeth, he shoved his hands into his back pockets.

 

"It's not a big deal. Well, actually it is, cause it's your birthday, but for me it's not a problem." He started to back up. "You take care, Valerie."

 

"Wa-" I cut myself short. I was going to ask him when I'd see him again. Wouldn't that mean having strings attached? That's not how this was going to be. I would see him when I saw him, and I didn't want him thinking I was already attached to him.

 

"Take care, Henry." I said with a smile and a coy wave. He gave me a farewell nod and spun on his heels. Dusk had befallen, with the softly glowing street lights dimly lighting the wet streets. He somehow made the already picturesque scenery more awing. I nearly ran after him and asked him to take me with him but I knew at that point I was doing too much. It was a pretty sight watching him walk, shoulders hunched as he expertly weaved through the crowd like he was made to be part of the city.

Unlike me, who got bumped into for being in people's way. I snapped out of it and went back into the restaurant, most eyes from the table no me.

 

"I saw the way he kissed you. He's got it bad," Ella said and I only smiled. We all decided to have our own little girl's night out at the clubs later on. Ella and Josephine left to their cars and waited for me while I went to tell my mother goodbye sitting by her to help her sort out all the cards and gifts.

 

"Honey, who was that boy that's dressed like he's still in a high school band? Clearly you can date someone who dresses better than that?" she kept her eyes busy on her items in front of her and barely looked my way like usual ever since I was a child. She'd gotten better at it but it was just habit for her to be preoccupied. I shrugged as I gathered up the gift bags.

 

"I like the way he dresses," I hedged without saying what I was to him and vice versa. Hell, I didn't know. No way any young woman would reveal to her mother she had friends with benefits.

 

"What does he do?" she asked next and I realized I hadn't even formally introduced Henry to my mother.

 

I hadn't ever thought about introducing Henry to my parents because, well, I didn't introduce all my friends to my parents. There was always a question of 'what do they do?'. In high school it was 'what do their parents do?'. In college it was 'what do they plan to do?' There was always a 'only surround yourself around people who want to succeed in life', but 'life' according to my parents meant education and career only.

 

I wasn't surprised by her asking me this question, though it was weird because I hadn't heard it in a while. Maybe it's cause I hadn't seen her in a while and she'd eased up since I'd finally completed my masters and was working an okay job for now.

 

"He's a music producer," I finally answered and she made an inscrutable face, then laughed.

 

"Well, I got to give it to him. That's a nice divergence from being the regular rock star. What is he doing? Waiting for his big break?"

 

"His big break already came. His net worth is actually almost as much as you and dad's combined." The impossibility of that was written all over her face.  

 

“Unless he is Mark Zuckerberg or at least David Karp," My mother said.

 

While my parents valued money for sustainability, it was education and smarts in their field that often got them to respect others. They were academic snobs.

 

“Songwriters make lots in publishing,” I explained, still trying to keep my calm, not allowing her negativity to ruin this night for me.

 

“But nowhere near internet entrepreneurs. And anyway, anyone can lie these days."

 

"It's not so hard to believe that someone who doesn't work as an engineer or a lawyer in a suit can be filthy rich, mother."

 

"But does he own any businesses? Does he own a company? When are you going to start on yours anyway?"

 

I sighed impatiently. "He owns the rights to his songs."

 

"Does he?"

 

"Yeah."

 

"That's nice. Now what exactly is his net worth?"

 

I didn't really know, but according to his Wikipedia page--and I use it as a source very loosely-- he was one of the most sought after in the business now. Some of his songs were used in blockbuster movies and commercials for crying out loud. You couldn't go wrong with commercials.

 

Maybe his net worth wasn't on par with my father's but Henry was doing just fine for himself. Even if he wasn't filthy rich, I wouldn't care. I preferred people who didn't put so much emphasis on money anyway. It always made me nervous growing up, the idea that not having enough money meant your entire existence and worth in life was of no use. Henry never boasted about his career goals or achievements or how much money he had. Hell when I saw the kind of car he drove when he dropped me off my eyes nearly fell out of my head but since he didn't make much out of it, I didn't either. I liked that after being in circles where competition and being number one at everything was the focal point of life.

 

“I don’t know. He’s doing fine. I don’t think it’s good to discuss other people’s finances,” I told my mother something she’d taught me, feeling really uncomfortable. My mother wasn’t usually this uncouth and I had a good feeling it had something to do with seeing me so publicly affectionate with the opposite sex for the first time. The last person my parents even knew I was in a relationship with was George, and the most we'd ever done in front of them was hold hands.

 

"You’re right. Don't bother with him," my mother said next. "He is just playing with you any way. He doesn’t look like he could focus on one thing. If there's one thing about those entertainment industry types, they aren't stable because they don't have stable environments." She sighed. "Why couldn't you have just stayed with George? He was the perfect choice. Everything about him was perfect. Smart. Ambitious. Goal oriented. He would have been a great addition to this family."

 

I froze from putting all my stuff together and looked at my mother to see if she was serious. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. My mother had never said these words so bluntly. She’d insinuated that she’d really liked George and I together but never blatantly just spelled it out. I wondered if seeing Henry was what pushed her to say something so hurtful. With my stuff packed, I stiffly stood up.

 

"I'm done having this conversation,” I murmured in monotone, locked up and guarded once again.

 

"You always shut down whenever someone tries to give you a helpful critique. You were the one who chased him away, you know. There are certain things you have to do to keep a man, and he was nice enough to date you when no one else would."

 

I shot up to my feet, grabbing my purse.

 

"Sweetheart--"

 

"No I…thank you, for the reminder. But don't worry. Henry isn't doing me any favors. We're just friends. I'm glad you came, Mom. Goodnight."

 

I hurried out of the restaurant, then remembered Ella and Josephine were waiting for me. I didn't want to see them in the moment. I was in crisis mode and needed some alone time. I was feeling irritated and frustrated so much that I didn't want to be around anyone. I walked into the adjacent establishment, hiding from anyone that might have followed, and asked them frantically if I could use their restroom. Although suspicious, they let me in.

 

I lingered in the bathroom stall until I heard the woman in there leaving. Leaning against the door, I stared at the haunting toilet bowl in front of me.

 

How could she say such a thing to me? On my birthday? My eyes began to water as pain I remembered from growing up filled me from not ever really being able to open up to my parents.

 

I knew that by letting her get to me this way, I was giving her power, but I couldn't ignore it. I hated that I valued my parents' opinions so much. This was a huge step back in our relationship for her to say something so hurtful about George. Could I blame her? She didn't know everything about us.

 

No one did.

 

I closed my eyes, willing the memories away, but I was hard pressed to do so. I was also blocking that toilet bowl from my view. That enemy. Which I eventually gave in to.

 

I dropped to my knees and leaned over the bathroom with my hand jammed into my mouth when a text I received stopped me from completing this bad habit I'd picked up in high school when the bullying got too intense. I hadn't done this in a long while since my therapy sessions but…

 

Luckily I chose not to ignore my phone and saw a text from Henry.

 

Henry: I hope you had a good birthday 27 Peaches ;-D

 

I stared at his text, blinking at unshed tears. Embarrassment engulfed me as I thought of how I was really about to forcefully throw up as a way of gaining some kind of control. It was the only means of control I had ever since I was little. When I couldn't govern my grades, or my weight, or how many friends I could have, or couldn't control having my parents talk to me about anything other than academia, I had control over what I threw up and what I didn't. I know to many it was a cop out, 'first world' problem, but that didn't make it any less real of a problem and a coping mechanism I used to use.

 

I felt very disappointed in myself, how I could let myself take so many steps back because of what my mother said.

 

If I didn't talk to someone, I would begin throwing up up until there was nothing there. Wiping my tears, I leaned against the stall wall and clutched my eyes shut, pressing my thumb against the letter H. I was taut and wired like chains were binding me. He answered after the second ring.

 

"Hello?"

 

The sound of his deep voice seemed to make the chains fall in one swoop and I gushed unthinkingly.

 

"Turn around." I ordered, hoping he couldn't hear my tears.

 

"What?" he asked confusedly and I gnawed my bottom lip uncertainly.

 

"Just come back. Please…" I begged this time in a tiny voice.

 

I didn't know why I was asking him this when therapy had told me time and time again I needed to find inner strength instead of using a host of things to keep me going. While I knew relying on my own strength would have been the best option, I also remembered her saying that there was nothing wrong with reaching out. So much of my life had been spent making sure I had it all together if anything just to keep my parents from harping on me.

 

"I wish I could, but I'll miss my flight." He paused. "What's wrong, love?"

 

I opened my mouth to say something, realizing how selfish I was being. I needed to get a hold of my emotions.

 

"Nothing. I just wanted to hear you talk. I know that's weird."

 

"You wanted me to come back all the way so you could hear me talk?"

 

My lips effortlessly flickered in a smile. "Yes smarty pants."

 

"Are you crying?"

 

"No! Not crying." I frantically wiped at my eyes, painfully cleared my throat. "Not cause you left. Cause…" I gnawed my lip hesitantly. "Can you stay with me on the phone until you have to leave?"

 

"Only if you'll tell me what's wrong."

 

I hesitated, stuck between a rock and a hard place. I didn't want him to leave me alone at that moment.

 

"I wish my parents understood me better." I said quietly and gulped hard, trepidation suddenly seizing me, that maybe I'd done the wrong thing by confiding in him, but I fought that feeling off. I never really spoke about my parents to anyone because I felt like I was betraying them if I did. My parents were very well known in the community and I'd hate for their names to be soiled by my woes. I didn't think they were bad people but sometimes I couldn't understand why they did things the way they did.

 

"It has to be tough that they don't," Henry finally said in a nonjudgmental tone and I calmed down.

 

"Yeah, but it's okay."

 

"You wouldn't be calling me if it was okay, would you?"

 

I knew if I retracted everything I said it would be very annoying especially since I was the one that broached the subject. "They want me to be like, just like them and I can't. Something inside won't let me just conform especially after doing it all these years I feel like I'm about to combust into flames from not being myself for so long.."

 

"It's that fire inside of you that I saw when we first met."

 

Henry's words surprised me and made me pause.

 

"That's why you have to just live your own life," he continued. "You should know by now. I mean, are you happy where you are, Valerie?"

 

It suddenly sounded very quiet.

 

"Are you still driving? I don't want to distract you."

 

"I pulled over to a parking lot."

 

I frowned and began to guiltily ramble. "Henry--"

 

"Are you happy where you are?"

 

He wouldn't let me feel bad over him stopping. I pondered his question. Generally no I wasn't happy with my life, but who was ever happy with their life? I felt weird being asked this by someone who wasn't being paid to ask.

 

"And whose rules have you followed so far that's put you in this position?" he went on. "You won't be able to blame your parents any longer for not being happy. It's your life and you have to make the choices now, not Mom or Dad. I don't know the situation fully but I'm just inferring here. Why can't you just try to do what makes you happy? It's possible, you know?"

 

"Are you happy?" I found myself asking, realizing that while I knew a lot about Henry, he was still very much a mystery to me.

 

"Am I happy?" he seemed taken aback that I even asked. I didn't blame him and felt bad. It was always about me and my issues and him taking care of me. Hell, I hadn't even returned the favor to him earlier. I wanted to be there for him as much as he was for me.

 

"Yes, where you are. Are you happy?"

 

Henry took a while to answer.

 

"I am happy, right now, yes."

 

I couldn't help the smile that overcame my lips when he put emphasis on 'right now'. For some reason him being happy mattered a lot to me already. Him being happy made me very happy.

 

"Okay. Well, that makes me feel better. Thank you." I couldn't stop smiling.

 

"No fair. I can't feel better till you answer my question." he paused. "Are you?"

 

I was grinning and had forgotten for a brief moment my conversation with my mother or the fact that I'd almost relapsed.

 

"Yes, I'm happy right now," I told him honestly, putting emphasis on 'right now' as he had done too.

 

"Okay, good."

 

"Well since you had to stop driving, I'll have to get off the phone. Don't want you to be late."

 

"I'll put you on speaker. I just stopped because you sounded like you were crying and I wanted to give you my full attention."

 

I could hear the engine revving to life as I tried to feel casual despite his words. Nonetheless my heart was doing flips within me and I was filled with so much elation but also guilt.

 

"You shouldn't stop just cause I'm crying. So you're going to your brother's show?"

 

"Yeah I wanted to get there tonight so I could hang with him tomorrow before the show."

 

"I haven't had a chance to look at their stuff."

 

"They're…interesting."

 

"Why do you say it like that?! You don't think they're good?"

 

"No they're good. They're just a bunch of young lads having a good laugh, so I can't hate on that. They are just too playful at times. I just worry about him sometimes."

 

"Howcome? Well, other than the fact that it's purely normal for an older brother to worry about their younger siblings."

 

"I don't know I feel like I've let him down in a way, and I can't make it up."

 

"How do you mean?"

 

"I had to be away a lot when he was younger. I was the one providing for the family at some point. I feel like, because my dad wasn't always really there. I'm the one who should have taught him to be a man, all the things my father should have taught him, but I was too busy working. Too busy trying to make a way."

 

"I can't imagine what that feels like. All that lost time, but I'm sure your brother is very grateful to you cause of that. Didn't you help him get his foot in the door?"

 

"Oh no. He did it all by himself."

 

"Really?"

 

"Yeah. He'd always ask me to put him on but I always told him he needed more work. Took matters into his own hands and auditioned for one of those singing shows. I've never really been a fan of those kinds of shows but it looks like it's worked to his favor in the long run."

 

"Oh wow. That's amazing. I haven't googled them yet."

 

"Don't."

 

I laughed. "Why not?!?!"

 

"You'll run into all kinds of stuff. Not just stuff he's done. The creepy things his fans do. Those fanfics, stories about them, Jesus one of my friends sent me one of them as a joke. Never read anything like that and never will again."

 

I laughed and then said, "I bet you're proud of your brother though."

 

"I've never been prouder. Of my sister too. She just graduated a year ago and started teaching this summer."

 

"That's so cool. So she's not into music like you and your bro?"

 

"Not at all. She's the brainy one. Ben and I have mashed potatoes for brains so, music was the only option."

 

"Will you give yourself some credit? There are a lot of technicalities in music that require brains. And I bet writing songs isn't as easy as it looks."

 

"Hmmm…"

 

"What? What did I do now?"

 

"You are playing a very dangerous game with me, Valerie."

 

His words sent a shiver down my spine. Was this dude truly crazy or what, why would he say those words like that?

 

I laughed, trying to make the conversation lighter. "What? Because I acknowledge that your job may not be that easy? I may not be a music connoisseur but I had to learn how to play the piano as a child and I respect anyone who can play Mary Had A Little Lamb without fumbling. Was forced to be in band all throughout high school. It was no joke okay?"

 

"So you were in a band too?"

 

"Now my band was cool okay? Not that pop stuff you probably did."

 

"Ha..ha…"

 

"I played the flute."

 

"That's so amazing."

 

Most people laughed but he sounded actually amazed.

 

"I guess. You need to stop downplaying what you do. I don't know if all this humble talk helps you stay ahead of the game or what. Just chill."

 

"Look who is telling who to chill. The most unchillest person in the universe."

 

"Unchillest. About that mashed potatoes for brains…"

 

Henry laughed. We talked for another thirty minutes before unfortunately he had to get ready to leave.

 

"Sorry to cut this short, but--"

 

"No no thank you so much for your time. Have a safe flight, please."

 

"I will let my flight know you begged for my safety. We'll see if they agree to it."

 

"Smartass." I mumbled, secretly surprised and very happy deep inside.

 

He chuckled. "Take care, Valerie."

 

I didn't want to say goodbye. I wanted to keep him on the phone longer for some reason.

 

"Bye, Henry."

 

I was so blind sighted. Little did I know, that farewell would stretch for a long while.

 

I didn't see him, or hear from him for another month. No strings attached, alright.

 

Chapter 13 by notheruniverse
Author's Notes:

i created a tumblr for the story

 

apples247peaches.tumblr.com

 

this chapter is very rough and will be edited later sorry for all the mistakes and if it's choppy.

Chapter 13




"Trust me, they're not as bad as people say they are," Ella told me as we crossed the busy street to a large black building where we would be watching a fighting match. We had to drive a long ways from our town into the next. Peter had invited her to a Mixed Martial Arts fighting match. I hadn't been out much, focused mostly on work at the expense of everything else--even my weight. That's why at first I'd been real apprehensive to go but an earlier chat I had with my therapist persuaded me to do different. She wanted me to have confidence no matter what weight I was at and asked me to try something different--so I did. I cut my hair into a dirty blond curly hair afro that I ended up liking a lot.

Plus, I was wearing a skirt and even heels--something I rarely did in the daytime without any stockings. I was tickled by the surprise on Ella's face when she picked me up and saw my outfit and new hair. I decided hey, why not. I'd been working so hard I needed a break anyway.

We showed the security guard our tickets and I was met with an unexpected atmosphere when we first stepped into the building. It was extremely chill, and all the people there were reminiscent of those we saw at the club Henry took me to last time. I rolled my eyes to myself when he crossed my mind.

After one whole month of not hearing from him I was kind of over it. I had tried calling him three times but no luck. He was actively ignoring me so I got the message. Thankfully, Ella knew not to ask after I made her believe I wasn't really interested in him. Without my asking she'd told me Peter said Henry was kind of hard to reach when he went into 'work mode' and I made sure my response was disinterested but without any attitude that would give away that I may have felt something about his lack of communication.

Which, I told myself, I felt nothing about. I focused on work and my life as much as I could so that I wouldn't think about him…until I once opened the front page of Yahoo! to look at a particular incident that happened a few weeks ago. His brother's band was on the front of Yahoo!'s news page and my heart had leaped because of the striking resemblance he and his brother shared. I'd been tempted to Google Henry to see if I could find anything but told myself not to waste my time like that. What good would that do me? I would just leave it all alone and take his time with me as something that was fun while it lasted.

Ella and I went up the steps that led to a floor filled to capacity.

People were in small groups, standing about chatting. After Ella got her beer and I got a water, we moved into the spacious stadium and occupied the seats closest to the boxing ring. I looked about in awe of it all. I never really took in the 'entertainment' factor of fighting matches. There was an indescribable energy floating throughout the room so strong I could feel it in my veins.

The nudging on my arm made me look at Ella, who pointed to the busy, blue floor circling the boxing ring for those who had front row floor seats. I followed her finger and my heart shot to my throat. My entire body froze when I saw the signature dark brown curls, the beaming smile, and the deep dimples.

Henry Walker.

Seeing him filled me with an emotion I'd never felt in my whole life and it's one I couldn't describe accurately or adequately. I went from elated, to dread, to fear, to confusion, and then, to sadness, and nervousness. All these feelings combined and I felt them all at once which left me exhausted but also holding my breath in a matter of seconds.

His curls were pushed away from his face as he regarded the boxing ring. As I clamped my thighs together another feeling that bombarded me was arousal. He was wearing the serious expression that usually made me weak, dark eyebrows pinched. He was bobbing his head to the heavily thumbing rap song. His act of chewing gum brought attention to his sharp jaw, making me aroused. His gum chewing also brought attention to his muscular neck.  Which only brought more attention to his broad, squared shoulders. That only brought more attention to his tattooed arms, muscles more pronounced due to his folded arms. And from what I could see in the constant-changing lighting of the stadium, he wore a dark teal colored shirt that made me weak.

He wore dark jeans ripped at the knees and I couldn't see his shoes, but from what I could see, Henry Walker looked damn good.

Crazy good. Sinfully good.

Unfairly good.

Fuck him.

My eyes flew back to his expression, and the serious glint in his eyes as he watched the stage. When a manicured small hand touched his left arm, he leaned that way, lowering his head till a woman's face came up to his ear.

My chin dropped disapprovingly when I took in the female that was vying for his attention. Well she didn't have to vie long.

Henry's eyes fell on her and he looked at her like she was the only person in a room that was filling to capacity. I'd think she was getting preferential treatment if he didn't do this to everyone--literally you'd think you were the most important person in his life once you got his attention.

I hated that about him because I liked it very much but seeing him look at someone else the way he looked at me reminded me that I wasn't special to him in any kind of way. And why would I be? We hadn't known each other that long. I convinced myself he wasn't that important to me either.

The woman had long, ruler straight, honey brown hair down to her arms. She was very toned, most notably her extremely defined stomach, which was revealed from the small top she wore and the red hot pants that had her behind hanging out. Her legs were just as enviably muscled, with defined calves, which were emphasized by the six inch red heels she wore.

Henry threw his head back laughing at what she said, making his pearly whites gleam and showcasing just how lovely his neck was. I bit my bottom lip thinking I could have licked and sucked on that neck when I had him on my bed. Miss Tiny Shorts shyly curled her hair behind her ear and smiled, thoroughly pleased at garnering that reaction from him.

I took note of how her hand had never left his arm, feeling irrationally jealous and possessive. 

I tried not to roll my eyes, and remembering that I wasn't alone, I smiled at Ella.

"I guess he's back in town?" I said casually and pleasantly even though I wanted to march up to him and ask him where the fuck he'd been.

"What's going on with you two? You don’t talk about him much."

I waved her off as I sat back with my arms folded and watched the empty boxing ring.

"Nothing. He's a fun dude, but not my cup of tea though."

I had to save face. My face was hot but I trained my features to be as complacent as possible without looking too forced. I was feeling too hurt for someone who'd only met the guy about four times. I needed to get a grip.

"What do you mean?!" Ella tried to take issue with me but when I didn't elaborate thankfully she left the situation alone because she got a call on her phone. I knew she didn't want to tire herself out trying to figure out what was going on with Henry and I. Hell, I didn't even know. I guess nothing really was going on.

I covertly slid my eyes in his direction again and tensed when I saw him leaning down to speak with his lips close to her ear. The very lips that had…

I shook the thoughts away and tried to focus on something else, but my eyes kept drifting back to them.

Suddenly Henry got in a fighter's stance with feet apart, and so did the woman. They playfully shot jabs at each other, with Henry ducking and dodging her blocks, bouncing on his feet like a pro. He then playfully uppercut her stomach, though his fists never actually making contact with her.

The muscles in his sinewy arms bulged, and my mouth watered wondering if that's what they did when he yanked me to him and put his mouth on my--

"Do you come to fights often?"

Distractedly I turned to the person that was sitting next to me, a handsome guy with brown skin and low cropped hair with amazing dark brown eyes. I tried not to be surprised that he was talking to me, and normally I'd have shied away from the attention, but for some reason that day I had the confidence of a lion.

"No. I'm new to this. Will you be my guide or are you new to this too?"

I had never been so forward but there was this burning feeling in me that was just pushing me like never before. He looked a bit taken aback but he smiled, revealing a row of straight white teeth.

"I wouldn't mind at all. Phillip." He held out his hand to me and I put mine in his with a smile.

"Valerie."

We talked a bit about MMA fighting matches, the stars that would be playing tonight, and the bets that were going around on certain players. I hadn't even realized Ella was gone until she came back moments later, chatting on her phone.
 
The lights in the stadium dimmed and the crowd roared as the spotlight fell on the boxing ring. Occasional starry flashes from people's cameras blinked from the darkened crowd and the energy swelled to greater proportions. Even as someone who didn't care for fights I found myself getting excited.

The fights were more entertaining than I thought they'd be, although I couldn't watch it all without covering my face at the gruesome parts. I tried my best not to look at Henry but to no avail. By now he was standing with three other guys, Peter included. They were all either laughing, joking or watching intently, howling and cheering along with the rest of the crowd whenever an expert punch or kick was executed. I forced myself to ignore them and focused on the fight. After two sets of fighters had a few rows they stopped for a break, the stadium lighting up again. Phillip and I were making small talk and I found that I really liked him. He seemed genuinely interested in me and was approaching in in a very subtle way that I appreciated way more than being pounced on. My feelings and thoughts weren't haywire around him and I liked that better than how my nerves and senses came crushing down like how it was from the first time I met Henry. Phillip was like a calm summer day and Henry was like those surprise storms that come and ruin your life on that one day you were bored wondering if there was more to life.

He didn't seem too nice or force any kind of charm and just his friendly nature made me so at ease I could talk to him easily. I was actually hoping he would ask for my number and if he didn't I would take charge and ask him myself.

"So what's your friend's name?" Phillip asked after Ella had gone to get us some lightweight drinks.

"Ella, my cousin. She's the best," I said, grinning.

"She is. She's gorgeous. Can you hook me up? I mean damn, she's beautiful."

The smile that I was wearing wavered and I saw he was still staring at the door Ella had exited from. My heart plummeted as history repeated itself from a long time ago. I'd had this happen many times, guys befriending me just so that they could get closer to Ella. And I always fell for it thinking they were interested in me. Reality fucking check, huh? I was already in a bad mood, so this certainly didn't help. I shouldn't have been so let down and should have been used to it. It just hadn't happened in a while since Ella got into a relationship with Peter.

"She is. She has a boyfriend too," I tried to keep any bitterness from my voice because being jealous was never cute and this was my best friend in the whole world but that didn't mean I didn't feel jilted deep down inside. Phillip looked at me, slight disappointment written on his handsome face, but there was more expectation.

"Oh…not surprised."

I sighed. "Don't worry, I know how it feels when you find out someone attractive has someone."

He smiled, a bit embarrassed but taking it all in stride. "He's a lucky guy. She must get hit on a lot, right?"

"You have no idea."

"And where's your man at?"

This is what normally happened when people found out Ella was taken, since they'd already spent time warming up to me they had no qualms making me their second choice just because I was what was available at the time.

Kind of what Henry did--making me the girl of the moment while he was visiting the states. Not that it was wrong because he hadn't made me any promises…

Something made me look over where Henry was standing and when I saw him surrounded by three females all speaking to him, I became more irritated.

"I don't have one," I said and Phillip lowered his suggestive eyes to my lips.

"You want one for the night?"

The blank expression I gave him made him laugh with a shake of his head.

"Okay, how about this, singles unite?" he held up his beer can to me. I could be pissed at him but I was so over everything I didn't even have the energy to be, so I picked up my empty plastic cup and tapped it against his can.

"And by unite I hope you meant sit next to each other and watch a fighting match, no other form of uniting," I said blandly and Phillip nodded, swallowing his beer.

"Yes ma'am."

The break was elongated and Phillip and I talked a lot more, with me less excited about the prospects of where the conversation would lead, but still glad I had someone to talk to that could distract me from sneaking glances at Henry. I was fucking over him too.

That is until I heard a deep British voice from behind me saying hello. Phillip's eyes lit up as he stood up and before I know it, he was giving Henry a dab and a one armed hug.

"Hey man how are you? Didn't know you were in town!" Phillip said and I couldn't understand why it annoyed me so much that Henry knew him. This whole fucking town loved him, huh.

"Hey Henry!!!" We heard from behind us and turned to see a group of women probably in their early twenties waving at him. He beamed at them and returned their wave; what a people person.

"Yeah I just came in a few days ago. How are both of you?"

Henry's eyes hadn't locked with mine with any awkwardness or guilt. He averted his gaze casually between the both of us. His body language was relaxed and confident, with not one guilty bone in his body. So he clearly didn't think not calling me back was wrong. That only incensed me, but two could play this game. I kept my expression pleasant with a happy smile on my face. I kept telling myself I was not bothered. I was not bothered at all.

"Good. You two know each other?" Phillip asked us both.

"Not really," I quickly responded and grabbed Phillip's wrist, forcing him to sit back down. "I know him through a friend. Henry Walker, right?"

Henry's smile widened and he laughed lightly. "I'm surprised you remember my name Valerie. Yes, you are correct."

"It's actually Valheroine." I smiled big and Henry's shook his head and sighed.

"I really do apologize for that. Speaking of which, he was supposed to send you some flowers--"

"I got the flowers," I said. The only thing I heard in relation to Henry were a bouquet of roses and an apology from his brother Ben for calling me Valheroine. I was sure he only did it because Henry made him to, the note said he couldn't even remember calling me that and told me to please not tell Henry he couldn't remember calling me that.

"Speaking of which, I wasn't able to tell you that I got them. They were beautiful. I'm being so rude, Henry, this is my date, Phillip, Phillip well you know who he is."

"Huh?" Phillip asked confusedly and I continued to grin, linking my hand with Phillip's and squeezing painfully tight as I smiled at Henry.

"So what have you been up to?" I asked Henry.

"So you guys are dating?" he asked instead of answering me. "Good deal, good deal. You guys make a lovely couple."

I searched for any sign of jealousy. Nothing. Nothing. There was not one iota of envy or anything on his face. It angered me more but made me play this silly game even further, one would be shocked to believe I just turned 27 a month ago.

"Thanks Henry. So do you and that prostitut--I mean that referee girl."

Henry's dimple deepened as he smiled with his head down and a shake of his head when I referred to that woman all over him as a prostitute. That was uncalled for, but so what.

"She's a very nice girl but we're not dating."

"It looks like you're dating her. And that other girl you were talking to later. And the other one with the yellow shirt. I'm sorry it's so hard to tell with you." I said with an innocent, joking laugh that Phillip joined in on. I knew then I had to reel it in because my biting remarks were becoming obvious.

"You know I do remember you being funny but your sense of humor has changed." The laid back grin never left Henry's face as he said those words.

"No it hasn't changed. We just didn't know each other that long for you to make that judgment. So how do you two know each other?" I changed the subject quickly.

"Through friends." Henry said.

"That's cool."

"So how long have you two been dating,Phillip?" his eyes swung to Phillip and I knew he was being deliberate in questioning Phillip and not me.

"Uh, 6 months," Phillip said.

"6 months?!" I wailed. Shit!

"6 months," Henry said with a knowing smile and a slow nod. "Good, good."

He knew damn well that wasn't good when I'd made it perfectly clear I hadn't dated the last time I spoke to him.

"You are so whack you can't even remember, it's been about three weeks. How did you get 6 months?"

"W-Well okay what I meant was we were talking on and off for 6 months and didn't start officially dating till three weeks ago," Phillip thankfully rectified.

"It's fine, you don't have to explain yourselves to me. Are you all enjoying the fight?" Henry asked next.

"Man did you see how Teko swung at him in the last round?" Phillip began.

"Teko is a beast…"

The two delved into an in depth discussion about the fighters, one which I couldn't join in on. How could I? The wheels in my mind wouldn't stop turning.

I couldn't believe this shit. So he was really going to talk to me like nothing happened? I was feeling so much pain inside. What the hell had I been thinking those few times we hang out? That something would come of it? Had he led me on? Technically no because he'd never promised me anything. But why…I don't know…

Eventually Ella returned with Peter and we all sat together. Henry to my left and Phillip to my right.

I was too distracted, trying to make sure my knees or arms didn't bump with Henry's. Trying not to allow his voice and scent pierce into my mind or seep into my pores. I'd mentally threatened to leave so many times, but the fucked up thing was...I wanted to sit next to him because i'd missed the warmth that I normally felt from him even when we didn't touch. I missed the deep, confident sound of his voice. I'd missed just being able to look at him, even though right now I did everything in my power not to look his way.

Thankfully they were so engrossed in the fight I wasn't paid much any mind until Henry threw in a few remarks here and there. Once when I got too quiet, he had the nerve to ask me if I was okay. If that wasn't an insult I don't know what was, but we were around others and I still had my dignity. I wouldn't let anyone know that he was geting to me.

When the fight was over I was relieved, only to find out that there was an after party that Ella so desperately wanted to go to.

The ambiance of the party was pretty cool and had the same kind of vibe the fighting match did--with all kinds of people just vibing off of each other. The music was great and so were the little appetizers served by barely clothed waitresses.

While our small group milled about, I grabbed Phillip's hand and escaped the rest of them. When I looked over my shoulder I saw that Henry was looking at us but with an inscrutable expression that turned into a smile when we caught him looking. He held up his plastic cup to us. I felt like I was being mocked but at that moment I was getting tired trying to figure him out.

I didn't drink either like I was tempted to do. I wasn't going to let some man make me act a fool just cause I was pissed at him. If I was going to drink it's because I wanted to drink. I danced with Phillip and actually kind of had fun…until I kept spotting Henry with his group of friends. Some who happened to be female. He hadn't paid me any attention the entire time and I could no longer lie to myself--it was hurting me.

A girl offered him a beer but he declined. Though she had all his interest. His hand was on her waist. He let her flirt with him.

And then she kissed him. While he didn't kiss her back, he didn't stop her and neither did he act surprised when she pulled back. I was officially done and pretended he wasn't there. If I acknowledged how much this was all hurting me I'd wear my heart on my sleeve and let him know I didn't like it, and I didn't want to make that mistake with him: someone who obviously didn't care.

I was grinding on Phillip slowly, running my fingers through my hair with one hand and holding a cup of juice up with the other. All the while my eyes were closed as I tried to imagine that I was desirable to someone. Hell, just trying to enjoy myself period.

"Are you having fun?" Phillip asked me, interrupting my dance and my thoughts. I leaned into his shoulder as I turned my face ot his neck to answer back while still dancing on him.

"Hell yeah!"

"But you need to stop using me to make him jealous Valerie."

His words made me pause and I turned to face him. Before I spoke, Phillip cut me off.

"It's obvious that there's something going on between you and him. You need to fix that instead of wasting your time here with me."

I was irritated and pissed and had a lot to say but didn't say it.

"Okay," I finally said in a clipped response and Phillip smiled gently..

"Goodluck."

"No more singles uniting?" I asked him, deciding not to be mad at him or correct him over information I told myself was misguided. I think I was just tired of trying to make sense of this whole situation. Phillip grinned with a shake of his head.

"I don't think you're single."

I broke eye contact and looked down at the plastic cup of juice in my hand. "It's one sided."

"Have you told him how you feel?"

When Phillip's question made me realize what I'd said, I backtracked. "Wait it's not one sided. I don't like him like that. We're just friends."

"Too late to retract that right now. Tell him how you feel Valerie--"

"I feel nothing. Thanks but no thanks. I'm good. It was nice meeting you Phillip. You can go talk to that girl you really wanted to talk to. Sorry for keeping you."

I blindingly left the party, not looking back at anyone around me. I had the car keys and since Ella was with Peter I knew she'd be more than happy to go home with him. All I'd have to do is text her that I was going home.

I went to the bathroom for some kind of solace, blinking unstoppably so that I wouldn't start crying. Hell, I didn't know why I felt the urge to cry. I freshened up, reapplying my lipstick and primping my hair. I had to try and make mysel feel at least a bit better about myself.

I stepped out of the bathroom and stopped dead in my tracks when I saw the tall figure standing on the opposite wall. I saw the worn brown boots first, trailed up the dark jeans and the teal shirt, tattooed arms, broad shoulders, and when I got to those green eyes, my heart jumped. I knew I was introuble.

Unthinkingly, I started back to the bathroom but was no match for his agility. Henry closed the distance between us in record speed and his hands grabbed my turning hips, turned them towards him and yanked me to him. I stumbled into his body and felt his lips on mine before I could take any kind of action.

As usual all my thoughts scuttled away the moment his lips settled on me and I was slumping against his hard, protective body. His hands had shifted to my lower back as his tongue pierced my lips and swept through my mouth. Possessively. He groaned as he stroaked my tongue and I moaned into his mouth. My fingers reflexively curled into his shirt and I was kissing him back instead of doing what a wise girl should have done and walked away.

"Woooo!!! You go girl!!!!"

It was that voice piercing into this world Henry and I always fell into that brought me back into reality. I pushed him away as hard as I could and Henry stumbled back, blinking out his daze and eying in me surprise over how roughly I pushed. His shoulders rose and fell as he caught respite, running his hand through his hair. 

I couldn't do this with him. My mind was cluttered and I was confused. Why was he kissing me? He hadn't even been paying me any mind so how did he even know I'd left. Not wanting to make any sense of this right now, I turned from him and started to walk away when he got a hold of my wrist and stopped me.

"Wait--"

"Henry Walker?!" we heard and turned to see two blonds approaching, holding their cameras ready.

"Oh god," I murmured and when I tried to leave, Henry tightened his hold on me.

"Hello," Henry said as he pulled me to his side, his fingers now interlacing with mine. The girls didn't miss this and I looked at them and Henry in dread.

The girls asked for hugs and I knew this would be my clean break, but Henry was two steps ahead of me.

"Im sorry I can't let go of her now. She's pissed and I'm afraid she'll fall if I do."

I shot darts at him with my eyes but said nothing. Huffing defeatedly, I looked the other way. At first I wondered what he meant by pissed and what that had to do with falling, then I recalled he'd used the term once to refer to someone drunk. He knew I wasn't drunk and probably tasted it on my lips. I was so irritated with him.

"Well can we take a picture of you then? We can take it with her in it."

"Sorted," he said satisfactorily and his hold tightened around me when I started to struggle against him.

"No! I'm fine! I'm not pissed!" I tried to exonerate myself but to no avail. I was surprised then by how strong Henry was. I couldn't get away from him for nothing.

"Is it okay?" The girl asked as she bounced her unsure gaze between Henry and I when she saw just how frantic I was about having my picture taken.

"Yes it's fine," he said pleasantly, with all the calm in the world. I nearly scratched him that's how desperate I was to get away.

"Let go, Henry!" I huffed impatiently.

"Say cheese, Peaches," he murmured into my ear and I quickly put my hands over my eyes and rebelliously stuck out my tongue, hoping I fucked the picture up so that the girl would regret ever agreeing to have me in it.

When she looked at the picture, she burst into laughter and her friend hopped to her and mirrored her reaction.

"This is fucking awesome!"

"Let me see it," Henry said from behind me, his muscular arm stretching out for the phone.

I looked down at the bright screen, only for my eyes to widen.

"Hey!" I looked at Henry accusingly as he laughed heartily. In the picture, just as I covered my eyes, my mouth was open probably when I was spewing profanities. Henry's profile was animated  with his mouth wide open as he pretended he was about to take a huge bite of me. It looked like I was closing my eyes and screaming in fear of his attack.

"This is amazing!" One of the girls said.

"Thank you both! Is this your girlfriend?"

"NO!!!" I said immediately. "No i'm not his girlfriend and will never be. We're just friends, I mean, barely.  Friends don't ignore friends. Hell, he's only been to my place once."

Henry said with a cool smile. "And what a tasty visit that was."

"What did ya'll have to eat?" one of them asked conversationally and Henry had the nerve to start talking.

"Well I--"

"DID YOU KNOW THAT PHILOPHOBIA IS THE FEAR OF FALLING IN LOVE?" I ignored the concerned and awkward expressions I was met with but that was the only random fact I could think of that day because I'd just learned about it that day. I gulped hard to try and swallow the embarrassment that was cloaking me, laughing nervously, "That's a general fact. I just learned about it today. I didn't know there was an actual name for it. Not that many people know that."

"You're weird but I like it," One of the girls finally said and I managed a painful smile.

"Okay ladies," Henry took position behind me and wrapped his arms around my waist like it was the most natural thing to do so. "Nice meeting you. Have a good night."

We had to be the ones to walk away because they were just standing there like they wanted to talk to us more. As we exited the building, Henry kept his hold around my midriff and every time I tried to escape his hold he tightened it, all with a huge smile as his popularity forced him to say goodbye to a lot of people as we left.

Once we were out on the busy streets, I pried his hands away from me and spun around, facing him indignantly. 

"If you ever try to pull something like that again I'll kill you before you speak again. Don't come for me…like that..ever…in your life…time..."

My voice began to taper off because I had to start walking backwards as Henry began a slow predatory walk to me, his eyes filled with determination and lust as he took me all in. Like I was the most desirable thing he'd seen on the face of the earth.

This is what I'd wished for earlier right? Be careful what you wish for had never been so appropriate.

Holy shit, did this guy have super powers or what? All he was doing was looking at me...

"You look beautiful," he finally said quietly, his eyes latched onto my exposed legs. I suddenly wished I hadn't worn the skirt because my entire body reacted to that voice, those lips, those eyes, and how fucking good he looked in a teal shirt, I somehow managed to catch myself when he'd gotten too close and turned away from him.

I continued to walk but my mind was so disoriented I wasn't even for sure where I was going.

"Are you upset with me, Valerie?" I finally heard and my suspicions that he was following me were true.

"No. In order for something to upset me I have to care really hard about it." Henry had fallen into step with me and I smiled sweetly at him. "So no you're not upsetting me at all."

He nodded slowly, walking with his hands pushed in his back pockets. "Ah, I see."

I continued to walk and Henry continued to walk with me. He was purposely pestering me. I hastened my steps. I was so over all of this.

"You're in an awful hurry…" Henry finally said from behind me and the laughing tone in his voice was aggravating.

"Yeah."

"How have you been?" he asked.

"Good," I said.

"What about your date?" he asked the question so pleasantly you'd have thought he was the one who hooked Phillip and I up. No hint of jealousy there. That infuriated me.

"He knows I don't want to be here," I said cooly even though it was getting hard keeping my calm.

"So suddenly?" Henry prodded and I tried not to cut my eyes at him.

"Yes. Well, I can walk the rest of the way on my own. Nice seeing you."

"I'll walk you to your car."

He was getting on my last nerves and my patience was thinning. I said with forced calm, "No it's fine."

"I insist."

"Yeah. That wasn't creepy at all."

"We're deep in the city. It's not safe to walk here alone. Especially at this time."

"I've been walking alone before I met you and after so I don't need any help."

"I know you don't. I'm walking you for my own conscience."

I sighed tiredly. "Do whatever you want Henry."

We walked and walked and it got darker and darker. It got to a point where I didn't even know where I was going. I nearly screamed when we came across a man asking money for drugs and luckily Henry was there to protect me. I felt like such a punk. My parents sure didn't do a good job teaching me about being out on my own in the real world. I was very sheltered. Henry walked the streets like he was a part of them and had no worries. The thing about Henry was while he wasn't macho in the stereotypical sense, he did have those protective paternal and even caveman qualities about him. He was very overprotective and maybe he wasn't an alpha male outwardly but he carried with him a quiet strength.

I found that I liked that he didn't have to scream out his masculinity or whatever the world thought that was supposed to be. He moved in silence but with a pleasant smile on his face.

Fuck him for adding another quality about him that I liked, all without even really trying.

"Are you sure you know where you're goi--"

"Yes! Just because I'm a woman doesn't mean I don't have any sense of direction!" I snapped, randomly turning a corner. In truth I was lost and had I been alone I'd have been very scared. Ella and I had to park far away from the building because parking in the city and actually finding that parking was just a big fat joy. Because Ella had run away a few times in her teens, she knew the streets more than I did. This whole situation reminding me of my parents aggravated me more, but reminded me that I needed to stop blaming them for everything at 27. I had to take responsibility. I was sheltered and right now, it was my fault.

"Whoa, I said nothing about your gender. I just asked if you knew where you were going."

I ignored him. We came to a deserted basketball field with graffiti on a building close to it. The sun was still setting behind the horizon, so we still had some light, with the help of a few distant street lights nearby.

"Did someone steal your car? Cause if you parked here, I don't see any--"

"You know I called you!" I finally let it out, whipping around with my hands balled to fists at my side.

Henry seemed surprised by my outburst. As the wind made some curls block my view, I noticed Henry pausing momentarily as if suddenly amazed by something. He blinked and shook whatever stole his mind and took a step to me.

"I know."

I took a safe step back until my back was against the fence.

"You know? And you just let it fucking ring?" I sqwuaked.

"Yes." He looked me directly in the eye, placing one hand on the fence with his head looming over me. I felt so small underneath him.

"Okay…"

My breathing was becoming shallow and I stared at his neck. His scent once again was getting to me. I gulped hard because my throat felt tight. I cleared it and tried to speak, my voice sounding heavy. "Why?"

"I didn't really want to talk to anyone really." 

He said this to me in a straight face and I was appalled, hurt even, but I didn't want to show that I cared, so I nodded. 

"Oh. Okay," I said neutrally.

Henry and I stared at each other for a few seconds and I couldn't read what was on his mind. Then his eyes dropped to my lips and turned hungry and he placed his hands on either side of my head on the fence. I shifted as the look in his eyes got me hot and attempted to sidestep him when Henry nuzzled me against my noze. I froze, sucking in my breath. His lips barely touched mine but the impact of his warm breath set me on fire. He gently touched my bottom lip with the tip of his tongue, a miniature movement so erotic I shivered.

He said in a voice that was close to a groan, "Do you know how much I missed these lips?"

"Henry don't…"

"Why, is it because of guy you're with? Your date?" the mocking tone in his voice made me irate.

"And if it is…" I challenged, though weakly.

He wouldn't ask the question because he didn't want to broach the subject and honestly I was okay with that. I didn't want to be needy. I didn't want him to know I liked him so fucking much too fucking fast.

I looked about me hoping the consternation I was feeling didn't show. I'd never been through this in my life. I'd never had someone who had me so open wanting to be so guarded all at the same time.

I trusted him but I didn't. What the fuck had I gotten myself into? I told myself I hadn't gotten myself into anything. After all, there were absolutely no strings attached so I shouldn't have been feeling confused or guarded. Hell, did he even remember my last name? Probably not.

The smart thing to do would have been to walk away. I convinced myself that after a long time of no contact or no seeing him I was forgetting about him.

Yeah fucking right. I made the mistake of looking up to meet his green gaze and my cheeks became warm. I dropped my eyes away only to visually collide with his lips and I bit my lip to keep me from whimpering at what those lips had done to me three weeks ago.

There is no way that I would ever forget the guy who'd told me I was beautiful so poetically in addition to giving me physical pleasures I'd never known. Why couldn't he have just given me one or the other like other sane people do?

All these rioting thoughts that were about to give me a headache were overpowered by the butterflies only Henry could create when he leaned in and tried to kiss me. I'd missed him so much I nearly took the kiss, but thank god I had some willpower that made me turn away.

"No…" I murmured in a small voice with my face averted from his.

Henry paused and I saw his arm muscles straining as he inhaled, but he finally just pulled back and said, "Okay."

I shifted, getting turned on for some reason and it dawned on me it's because even in these dire situations where our body heat was nearly burning off our clothes he still managed to be respectful. I mean I would have still found it hot if he grabbed me and kissed me anyway but I found that I liked him like this better and got a little bit vexed that even when he was pissing me off I liked him and wanted him.

My nipples were aching and I was already wet for him. Fuck.

Without allowing myself to think any longer I grabbed his face and kissed the lips that I'd been missing for only four very long weeks. When Henry sighed my name as I devoured his lips I leaned onto the fence, making it rattle. I'd missed the way he said my name too.

I was frustrated with him and I was frustrated with myself, but I infused it all in the kiss for lack of any other way to express it. We both weren't going to say what we felt so we might as well find a way to release all the pent up frustrations.

I knew I wasn't alone with how Henry made the fence rattle more when he pressed his hard body against mine, pressing me into the fence, trying to get as close to me as possible as he returned my kiss.

Helplessly, I moaned, allowing his tongue more access into my mouth. I sighed when I felt his warm, hard chest pressing against my already aching nipples. My squirming body only made the sensation of him hardness against my sensitive nipples stronger. I gasped and Henry groaned as he let go of the fence and held my waist, squeezing as if wanting to reaffirm to himself that I was real.

It astounded me how my sanity went haywire whenever we touched one another. I thought these things were just folktales and maybe even hype but now as I desperately ran my hands all over his chest, shoulders, neck, hair, and arms, I knew the madness of sexual frustration to be true.

Something deep down told me it wasn't just a physical thing but I ignored it. I didn't have much time to ponder anyway because Henry pulled back briefly and when I impatiently reached for him he pulled back again.

"What?" I all but ground out, subsequently embarrassed by how vexed I could be just from him stopping a kiss.

"What about your date?" he asked, and then began to put more distance between us as his jealous features became gloomy with guilt. "I don't wanna break another--"

"What date?" I asked impatiently wondering why the hell he was wasting time.

He stared at me as a slow, knowing smirk lifted his lips.

"I thought you were on a date. You lied." His smirk faded as he added. "I don't like liars, Valerie."

I stubbornly shut him up, claiming his lips once again and to my fortune he fell right into the kiss. 

"I can't stop--" I'd never been so thankful for the man upstairs than in that moment. If I'd finished telling him that I couldn't stop thinking about him, how fucking catastrophic would that have been? It would have meant he mattered and I was still training myself to believe that it was only his tongue and mouth that mattered right now. And maybe his hands. And the arms that I was feeling right now. I was screwed.

"You can't stop what," Henry rasped as he nibbled my neck like he hadn't eaten all day. I moaned, trying to wiggle away when he started sucking on the spot he'd left a hickey on last time, afraid the act alone would be enough to make me come.

"N-N-No…thing…." I miraculously got out and winced when Henry pulled his lips hard enough from me to make me sting.

My chest lifted and fell as I breathed hard and I bit my bottom lip when I spotted the wicked glint in his eyes.

"Lying again, are we?"

Even though I opened my mouth I had no ready response and Henry suddenly clasped my hips tight in his hands and lifted me up against the fence.

"I told you, no lies allowed."

I gasped at the pleasurable pain from his teeth as his tongue shot out and soothed the pain, making me moan and close my legs tighter over his waist. Somehow my mind was still morally intact and I tried to stop him, grabbing at the soft material of his shirt at his shoulders.

"N-No Henry. Someone might…someone…ah…" My cautious warning came to a halt, turning into a surprised gasp when I felt him, big and hard against my throbbing womanhood through the threadbare material of my panties.

Henry groaned deep as he bit right under my jaw trying to contain himself, his fingers pressing hard into the skin of my waist.

"What were you saying love, you can't what?" Henry asked huskily, playing the unfair game of kissing his way over to the other end of my jaw, my head rotating on its own to give him more access. He seemed to know how  to make my body do things at his whims. I had no control when he touched me. 

"No…." I moaned helplessly, biting my lip a bit too hard in regret because of how obviously I wanted him.

"Do you want me to stop?" he asked, his hot breath rushing against me as his tongue danced along my skin. The delicious ache between my thighs made it so hard for me to speak.

"N-No…Please…don't...stop…" I begged feebly, the sound of his voice making me high. My fingers dug hard into his shoulders not only with pressing need but also retaliation, but it turned back into need and want.

Henry hissed at the sharp impact of my nails and retaliated with a bite of my neck, making me moan and shift restlessly up and down against the fence. The action made me brush against his sizable hardness, making both of us moan.

"You can't stop what, Valerie…" he grated as he ground in a painfully slow, upward motion into me as if that was his payback for my mistake of brushing against him. My reaction was electric, making me arch into him and grab, probably living four marks from his shoulder places up to his shoulder.

"Yesss…" Henry hissed and I imagined it was him welcoming the pain of the skin I'm sure my newly manicured nails were leaving. His reaction made me moan and I clutched my eyes tight, sure that I would come just from his sounds alone.

Oh god this man. What was it about this man's every move.

The fence rattled when Henry thrust his bulge into my soft mound again. Somehow I found the mind to let go of his shoulders before I did more damage and reached for the fence. My fingers slipped through the wire and curled inward, holding on for dear life.

"Are you lying to me?" He asked as he gently set me on my feet and started bunching up my skirt, his insatiable eyes latched onto my lips.

I couldn't respond. I was stuck between feeling all the pleasure he was giving me and trying not to feel it. Henry picked up on my apprehensiveness and added with a reassuring kiss. 

"It will be fine. No one can see us cause of that building." Slipping his fingers through the band of my panties, he looked me directly in the eye as he pulled them down in a painfully slow motion. As I felt the wet trail my panties left on my inner thighs, I blushed and closed my eyes. I felt his gaze leaving my face and looked down to find him kneeling before me as he brought the panties down, watching every movement unapologetically. I blushed again when they were around my ankles and Henry looked up expectantly. After gnawing my lip for what seemed like an eternity, I finally climbed out of them and watched in trepidation as he smirked while stashing them in his front pocket.

"But if they do, we could always give them the best show ever, right?"

There was no room for answering as it appeared Henry's patience wore thin fast like fire on newspaper and I was immediately his. He'd buried his face between my legs and his mouth was on me without missing another beat. I was sold. My entire body was shaking as all my nerves whirred to life. Henry moaned into me as he ran his tongue over my wet folds and I bit another scream from flying out at me.

"Henry…" I breathed in confusion and a bit of ambivalence when he started lifting my leg. I ended up arching off of the fence, my fingers curling around the mesh as my lifted leg gave him more access to me and he pushed his tongue in. The fence rattled when my head met with it as I arched my neck, my fingers clamping onto his hair as he moved his explorative tongue in me while groaning.

"Henry please…"

Only god knew what I was begging for.

Henry groaned as he suddenly put my leg over his shoulder, much to my bemusement. I opened my mouth to protest because, well, I'd never done anything like this no matter how hot it was, and the very provocative move made me think of the fact that we were outside all of a sudden.

He must have known my protests were soon to follow because he was on me yet again, silencing those very protests and making the fence jangle from the impact of the back of my head slamming into it. He then just held my leg up and gave me small kisses and that's when the tears of pleasure squeezed from my clutched eyes and slid down my cheeks.

"Henry!"

He grabbed my other leg, throwing it over his other shoulder. This forced my other hand back to loop through the wire, my only way of holding me steady without falling over. As he knelt in between my legs and hefted my thighs over his shoulders, I was lifted a bit higher. His hands gripped my hips to keep me steady. Henry commenced to feast on me like I was his last morsel, lashing his tongue at my soaking lips, thrusting energetically into me and swirling hungrily inside me, then he'd occasionally suck on my clit restlessly.

My eyes were clenched tightly shut, tears streaming down from pleasure. I was a heavy breathing mess. The last time I'd heard a fence rattle this much was at some protest that happened outside my school.

And dare I say I was also turned on by the unorthodox position. I mean these were the kind of things a woman could only dream about.

When Henry's hand fished under my shirt and smoothed up my back. Who knew such a touch could arouse me further, even with his mouth already on me. Henry's other hand was clamped hard over my ass to keep me in place, while his other hand rose to fiddle with my bra strap.

His hand slid back down to the base of my back and he began to rub, surprising me by finding yet another sensuous zone.

He did this while flicking his tongue over my clit, making that familiar buzz seep into me. I began to shake all over and my thighs began to tighten around his face and neck. Then out of nowhere, just as I was getting there, Henry suddenly pulled away from me and my eyes flew open in fury.

"Henry?!?!" I damn near shrieked. The only time I got this aggravated was when a program I was working on didn't work out.

"You can't stop what?" he demanded and I didn't know what the hell he was talking about.

"I can't stop what, what?!?"

"You were saying earlier how you can't stop what?"

I was sure my eyes were wild with madness. "Oh my god Henry just get on with it."

"Not until you tell me what you were going to say--"

"I can't stop thinking about you alright?!?!?" I damn near bellowed.

Henry paused in surprise, then a slow, devilishly pleased smirk quirked his lips. Irritation filled me for he had won this battle and got me to vulnerably say something that no longer kept me a safe distance away from him. But before I could loathe over that, he'd realigned his lips with my throbbing wetness and I could no longer focus.
 
I'd given him the power of knowing how I'd truly felt but I was so selfish for the pleasure of his mouth that in that moment I didn't care about the consequences. Very stupid of me.

He gave me what I wanted in a matter of a minute and I was shaking as the orgasm shook through me. I knew then part of my frustration with his absence was I'd been craving this feeling again that only he seemed to know how to give me. My fingers furled painfully around the warm metal and my back arched off of it as my body wound tight.

When it was finally all over and Henry came up for air, he let my legs down. I overestimated myself because I stumbled once he let go of me and he quickly held my hips, laughing throatily at how weak he got me.

"Shut up," I murmured before being shut up myself by Henry's lips. His tongue lingered against mine and we separated soundly. Now that the chaos was over and I was more aware of what was around me, I felt uneasy and for the first time, I didn't feel so safe around Henry.

"You couldn't stop thinking about me," he said with a smug smirk down at me as he held my hips. Now that I'd come down to planet earth, I pushed him off a bit too roughly.

"Whatever." My cheeks burned as I tried to straighten my skirt in the 'after the fact' moment of shame. I worrisomely darted my eyes around us wondering if anyone had seen.

"Oh god, this was so stupid! What if someone saw this?!" A foreboding feeling overcame me and suddenly all the fun and games were no longer there. What a great front page news this would make. The famous Mr. Jones' daughter had public sex on a fence with a guy who ignored whenever she'd call. How flipping great.

"Then we just gave them the best show ever, like I'd said," Henry joked but I found nothing amusing about what he was saying. I didn't respond to him. I had nothing to say to him. When I didn't, Henry's playful smirk drifted away and a worrying frown began to show on his face.

"Are you okay? I'm sure we're fine. This is a pretty deserted place…"

I remained mute. With my arms folded, I just stared ahead of me at his chest.

"Valerie," Henry called out to me, his voice laced with concern but I didn't budge.

"What's wrong?" Henry pressed but I was inconsolable.

"Did I upset you?" he prodded.

The blazing setting sun highlighted his eyes than with the wind blowing some curls over his forehead as he looked down at me. I didn't give a fuck how etheral or good he looked. It was guys like him that were the worst just like I'd expected. I was going to take responsibility for my own carelessness and vanity wanting to feel pleasure but that didn't mean Henry was innocent in this. Technically, he wasn't wrong, I had to keep reminding myself so that I wouldn't get hurt. But that didn't mean it didn't hurt...

"Come on love, talk to me. Please."

I said nothing. My heart felt like it was made of steel and I was regretting how stupidly I'd let him pleasure me sexually again after not even receiving an explanation. I was even more frustrated with myself because I didn't know whether I deserved an explanation.

I stopped responding because I didn't know how to react. If I got angry I'd feel crazy because we just met yet if I didn't get angry I felt like I'd be fake. I'd just gone from wanting to be near him to hoping he'd turn around and walk away.

Sighing heavily, Henry placed both hands right above my head on the fence. His eyes fell on me while I kept my eyes on his chest.

"I want you to trust me enough to tell me anything, anything you're feeling. I don't want you to hold anything back from me," he surprised me by saying that and I lifted my gaze up to him. An amazing feeling swept through me when I saw how serious he was, so much that my eyes flittered away. My fingers nervously fiddled with the wire of the fence behind me and I began to chew on my bottom lip.

I can't believe he had the audacity to ask me to trust him after he'd blatantly ignored me. Not only that, the last time someone asked me to trust them...

"Look at me," he pleaded gently, his head lowered as he searched my face, attempting to kiss me again but I looked the other way just as a surprising tear fell from my eye. Before I closed my eyes to wipe them I caught Henry's alerted expression over my tears and I felt even more of a freak for crying. Damn it. I bet I looked like the biggest punk in the universe. I waited for him to stand there and awkwardly apologize for me thinking that this 'thing' we had going on was anything. Even if in reality I knew it wasn't that didn't stop my feelings from feeling like they'd been jerked back and forth and lashed and petted then tossed away all at once.

I think another reason I was reacting very badly to all of this was because I'd been through things like this with George and it was making me very uncomfortable. My young mind thought this was what relationships were meant to be when I was with George. I thought they were meant to be imperfect and people were meant to fight just so the kissing and making up could be epic but I had grown and knew now that those self-destructive kind of relationships weren't all that great to begin with. The thoughts of George making me cry then apologizing all flashed through my mind and it made the silent tears fall even more as I grimaced at all of it. I couldn't control the tears now and I didn't feel like explaining it all to Henry because it was too much to tell even though admittedly part of my crying was his fault.

I never wanted to speak about my relationship with George to anyone, much less a guy who would ignore me after we spent the most amazing days together.

The dam had broken and the tears were endless. At least I wasn't sobbiing but occassionally I let out wheezing breaths as I tried to control my tears, pitiably wiping at my eyes with my head bowed in front of him.

"Fuck, Val…don't…please..." Henry's voice surprised me by how pained it was.

When he tried to reach out and wipe my tears I flinched and pressed my back further into the fence, wanting as much distance from us as possible. Henry sighed heavily and lowered his head low between his shoulders. His hands were back on either side of my head on the fence and I briefly saw his arm muscles flexing, the veins pronounced as I assumed he curled his fingers into the fence as though guilt was swimming through him. I could feel it from his body language but I no loner cared.

I was mentally and emotionally exhausted from this game he was playing with me. Yes. It was a game. The nice guy charmer was playing with my emotions and there was no other way of going about it. This is a reality I'd been trying to avoid all night but I couldn't now.

Don't tell me you're happy when I'm on the phone with you then not contact me or answer my calls for an entire month. Don't smile at me like we're long lost friends and tell me I look cute with the guy I'm dating then grab me and kiss me when we're alone. Don't act like I'm not in the room and party it up with some barely clothed women and follow me out of the same party claiming you wanted to make sure I made it safely into my car. Don't tell me you didn't answer my calls because you didn't want to talk to me and then go down on me, only to torture me because you know you're so good. Torturing me ino wearing my fucking heart on my sleeve again and telling you that I couldn't stop thinking about you when clearly I hadn't even crossed your mind.

I wanted to tell Henry all this, but I was officially on lock down. I was on guard and had to protect whatever was left of myself. What was the point of saying anything now? I was afraid of being the one who eventually stopped treading lightly in this little dance on thin ice we were doing, and now I'd let him know that I'd wanted to know him more than he did me. It shouldn't have hurt but him saying he didn't want to talk to me hurt a lot because I enjoyed that in conjunction with the physical pleasure. He'd probably tagged along with the conversation just so that he could get to make me orgasm, a stroking of his ego that would add me as another one of many to his list that he'd managed to break down sexually when no one else could.

I felt cheap and it was my fault for allowing myself to be cheapened.

I always thought women who put up with these situations were stupid, and they were, but that didn't stop nature from taking its course and it happening to some of the smartest most well respected and strongest women. Why did we put up with these games? Did we like to be yoyo'd around? Or were we just all confused. Was it cause we all just wanted to be desired sometimes, especially those of us who didn't usually experience this from the kinds of guys we wanted this from? Maybe this was our karma for going for being shallow and going for the guy who looked good and felt good verses the guy who just did good in silence. It wasn't always our fault we got hurt, but sometimes it was because we just wanted to feel wanted at the expense of common sense and smart choices.

"Please move. I want to go," I said as I wiped my face and tried to sidestep him under his arm. I was too disgusted by my wanton behavior, shamelessly trading any pride and dignity just so I could get some physical release. I was also angry that after guarding the vault of my emotion expertly since George, I'd let my guard down and let another human know that I valued them emotionally, and I was even more frustrated because it's not like I knew Henry that much.

I guess I was getting to know him. But one of my assumptions about him had been true: Nice guys really weren't shit underneath it all.

Henry put his hands on my waist to stop me. "Wait."

I quickly pushed his hand away from me and Henry bit his bottom lip, visibly insulted by my caustic reaction but that's what he got. I was reacting like a wounded animal. I was tired. When I tried to leave again, he held my wrist.

"Please, Valerie, just hear me out."

I was going to hear him out but I was already officially done with him. He could say whatever he wanted to say but I was done. The last time I allowed myself to be uninhibited I played a very high price.

I wrung my wrist from his hold and refolded may arms as I stayed by the fence.

He cupped my face and his attempts to thumb my tears away were futile because the tears continued to silently roll and I was also trying to avert my face from him.

"Please stop crying," he beseeched, his lips rubbing against my cheek when I'd turned my head. I winced at how good his lips felt against me, how reassuring and soothing his voice was. Henry tilted his head further till his lips were on mine. I gave up fighting him now as he gently turned my head up to his, all the while dropping small kisses on my lips, each kiss making me weaker. My hands were now behind me on the fence, clinging, trying to hold on.

"I'll make it up to you, I promise," he said next and my entire body tensed while I sucked in a breath with my eyes closed. Vast memories flashed through my mind.  These were the words George used on that fateful night that changed me. Henry paused and lifted his and I felt his eyes on me, probably wondering why my reaction was different than most women who I'm sure loved to hear those words. Once upon a time, I liked to hear them too until the after math. As I finally expelled my breath slowly, I breathed deeply and slowly opened my eyes onto to be met with his neck.

I lifted my eyes only to his lips which he was biting the corner of pensively. How was I supposed to explain everything to him and why I was feeling this way. There were just so many things going on at once.

"I'm sorry I didn't call you. I was confused," he finally explained and I was a bit surprised. I now looked him in the eye through my wet, clamped lashes. His eyes were focused on his hand as he tinkered with the fence behind me.

"It was all happening too fast Valerie, too fast for me to comprehend. You were meaning a whole lot to me too soon and I wasn't ready to get close to anyone because of this very reason; the fact that I can be a jackass because of what happened in the past."

I peered at him inquiringly and wiped the remainder of my tears. We stood quietly for a moment before curiousity killed the cat and I asked, "What happened?" 

Thankfully by then the tears had stopped rolling unchecked. The fact that he was willing to open up to me made me a bit receptive to him and not as cold. I fiddled with the hem of his shirt as I spoke shyly.

"I want you to learn to trust me too," I finally said, looking him directly in the eye. "Maybe I can understand what's going on better."

I could feel him closing up and added haltingly. "You don't have to tell me if you don't feel comfortable talking about it."

Henry stalled for a while as he continued to eye his hand fiddling with the fence.

"She cheated on me with my best friend at the time," he finally said with no emotion behind his tone and I frowned.

"That stupid bitch."

A small smile flickered on his lips and his eyes warmed just a little. Even despite how dejected he'd made me feel earlier, it still made me all fuzzy and warm inside to see him at least a little bit happy.

"I wasn't giving her the attention she needed. I get that way when I dive into work," he said seriously and a part of me felt it was some kind of warning. I lowered my gaze to where I was touching his shirt.

"I'm the same way, but that gave her no right to hurt you like that."

"Yeah, well," he shrugged. "I'm over it."

"Mhmm," I rolled my eyes and found that he was smirking at me knowingly.

"I had no right to mess with you like that and I'm sorry." He kissed me lightly."Forgive me?"

The sound I made was unintelligible as he played with my lips a little.

Henry suddenly stopped and muttered a curse under his breath. "Sorry. I can't keep my hands off of you."
I blushed and tried so hard not to squeal. Wow, I had it so bad.

"It's okay," I said, wishing he'd never stopped kissing me and Henry looked at me like I was crazy, then shook his head.

"No. It's not okay. We can start over and do this the right way, the slow way. As friends. And with that, I'd like to break the ice with a little game."

I couldn't help the big smile that stretched my lips as I recalled it was these games that helped us get to know each other in the beginning when we were at Seaburger and on the beach.

"What game would you like to play Henry Walker?" I asked.

"Two lies and a truth."

"Two lies and a truth?"

"I'm going to make three statements. You're going to tell me which one is the truth."

"Okay."

"I've seen a tortoise fly. Rihanna is my god. And I really, really, really like a lady called Valerie Jones."

I smiled at the last statement so hard I had to lower my face so he wouldn't see just how excited his words made me. I finally responded to him. "That one's easy! Rihanna is your god."

"Wrong." He wrapped his arms around my waist and pulled me closer to him. I shyly held onto the fence, laughing as I tried to get away from him nuzzling me. "I've seen a tortoise fly."

"Oh really," I said with a laugh, knowing he was being deliberately stubborn.

"Yep. Super Mario. Stage one. Those red tortoises with wings--what?!?!"

I was laughing halfway through what he said.

"You are so wrong! What do you know about Super Mario anyway?"

"I bought the game while I was away."

I shifted my weight from one foot to the other as my knees buckled. "Why?"

"Because I really, really, really, really like a lady called Valerie Jones."

I guess that was his way of saying he thought about me too when we were away.

"Is that the truth?" I was referring to the Two Lies and a Truth game, but also just in general.

"That's the only truth," he told me somberly.

I blushed heavily and nearly turned into the fence. I couldn't believe how I allowed him to make me behave sometimes.

"I really, really, really like Henry Walker too…" I finally admitted.

"But we're going to be friends first, right?" he asked, then bit his lip as he eyed my lips, sparking a fire in me. I could only give a jerky nod as I tried to stand up right. I shouldn't have looked at his lips either. I shook away all the lewd thoughts clouding my mind.

"Well, I'm sorry for keeping you. You can go back to your party," I told him.

"No way I'm leaving you after I just got on your good side. What do you say we just get out of here?"

I was a bit apprehensive but I smiled at him and nodded and put my hand in his.

He enveloped it and squeezed. With eyes blazing invitingly, he tugged me off of the fence to follow him wherever he'd take me.

While we had taken a step forward, we were still moving through murky waters.

We were still playing a dangerous game because both our hearts weren't ready.

But our minds and bodies were fighting to have all the control.

At least that's what I thought.

Chapter 14 by notheruniverse


Chapter 14

"Where are we going?" I asked as we drove further and further away from the city. We'd walked back to the party so that I could hand Ella her keys. She was a bit miffed because she'd wanted to ride with Peter, but when I told her I was leaving with Henry, she was all smiles. I also noticed that she wasn't harping on me as usual. She didn't ask me too many questions about Phillip and didn't ask me about leaving with Henry.

I think she truly did want me to figure this out for myself and in a way I appreciated that. Though I was really confused. How could I seek her advice when she'd warned me that I may have not been capable of having friends with benefits?

Well, the benefits factor was out the window now. He did say he wanted us to do the right thing. As friends.

"A ghost town," Henry answered and I don’t think he was joking. From the comfort of his Audi R8, I looked out the rolled down window. There were no more city lights, and the mansions we passed were far apart, until we came to a gated community. Henry pushed a button on his key and soon we drove through an extravagantly designed neighbored, so beautiful it was almost eerie.

After going up a long hill, we came to another house, secured by a black iron gate and drove up to a beautifully, lighted modern home. I peeked at Henry who was casually parking the car, not making a show of having a breathtaking home.

"Wow," I said. "This yours?"

Henry eyed me like I really dared to ask something so insipid and just to tease me said, "No." He then exited the car and jogged to my side to open the passenger's side.

"It is yours!" I grinned a sweet grin that made him roll his eyes and murmur under his breath. Color was rising to his cheeks and I laughed as he got embarrassed, avoiding eye contact and looking at his foot as he tapped the toes on the tarmac.

"Why are you so nervous?" I asked, enjoying his shyness a bit too much. Now it was his turn to wilt under my gaze.

"Are you coming, or…"

I laughed as I stood up with my purse in hand. I followed him up the walkway, admiring the reflecting ponds we saw, all  with small fountains.

The architecture of the house itself was something definitely from Architectural Digest. It was boxy and paneled heavily with wide windows. The walls were very clean colored, with varying shades of grey, often highlighted by hidden small lights of blue. The second level of the house was paneled in what looked to be mahogany. The inside of the house was lit in yellow soft lights, showcased by huge windows that made me wonder how the hell someone could have privacy. When I curiously looked over my shoulder, I saw that from this vantage of the hill, in addition to the high, lush fence, the house was pretty much secluded.

Henry stepped aside, having opened the wooden door and let me in to be awestruck even more. The geometric and heavy glass theme continued within the home. The living room designed with earthy tones, particularly the punctuation sod bright orange, that surprisingly meshed well with the somewhat clinical schema of the house.

It was a pad designed for a successful bachelor, but to me it didn't really seem too much like Henry, who seemed more the artsy type that preferred an easy flow. I'd always imagined his house would have a wall filled with graffiti or his favorite artists, with just a little bit of chaos.

This house was so untouched.

"This is nice Henry," I finally aid and when I turned to face him, I was surprised to find that he'd been watching me. He was a bit startled to have been caught, and shifted his weight from one leg to the other. I noticed then as I looked at him that maybe he did fit the design of this house.

Henry was the kind who'd make you think you had him all figured out. Then he'd surprise you. The house was beautiful to the eye, very inviting, but only at arms length. There was still lots of mystery, with the small bursts of orange occasionally bursting in the house a small hint, a teaser even, to what else was in store.

That was very much Henry. I saw that burst in his eyes and sometimes in his smile.

"Didn't have much to do with it. I hired a designer who helped." He finally moved more into the home and tossed his keys on the glass table.

"Your self- effacing attitude is a bit too much don't you think?" I followed him to the sleek bar surrounding the kitchen.

"Would you like something to drink?" He'd asked as he opened the grey fridge.

"Water."

"Water? Surprised." He handed me one anyway and got one for himself. "Are you hungry?"

"A little bit," I admitted.

"I'll make us a quick salad."

And I watched it all in glee. Henry belonged in the kitchen. It just seemed that way. He was very comfortable in it and put in that signature focused look of his that always managed to make me weak.

He served me a chicken salad and sat himself across of me to eat his own.

I had been so enraptured by watching him make a damn salad I'd forgotten about the beautiful house. I was looking around the house some more as I twisted my bottled water open when I gasped at the oceanic view beside the living room. There was a patio, then a pool, both overlooking the vast ocean.

"This is so pretty," I murmured.

"Have you never seen the ocean before?"

I turned to the sound of Henry's voice and found him smirking at me as he took a seat while going through his phone. The smirk made my clit jump  and I narrowed my eyes at him. Then I watched him for a few moments as his expression turned serious while he looked through his phone. I wondered if he was reading texts from some of his other female 'friends', or if there were business deals tucked in that phone. There was still so much about Henry I didn't know. Like how he operated. What made him tick. What did he normally like for breakfast? Why the hell was I concerned with what he liked for breakfast? And why would I ask myself such an obvious question.

"You know, you're mysterious at times," I finally said and Henry only lifted a brow, a small amused smile tugging one corner of his lips.

"Really."

"I thought I had you figured out but nope."

Henry simply smiled with ease and continued to focus on his phone. He looked so sexy hunched to the side his elbow rested on his knee of the hand holding his phone. His other hand rested on his other lap, a place I longed to sit on again like I did on Peter's patio.

How many women had gotten to sit on his lap? How many women got to link their hands with his? Henry was generous, there was no doubting that. He spread his gravy around not only cause he could but seemingly loved to. An irrational burst of jealousy tore through me as I thought of all the women that had had access to this special specimen.

"You're not the jealous type, are you?" I suddenly asked, recalling how at ease he was when Phillip and I were together.

Henry made an odd face as a lopsided smile marred the firm line his lips had set.

"What?"

This finally brought his gaze up to me. I flourished from head to toe now that I had his full attention.

"You don't get jealous."

He was smirking now. Damn the smirk. My toes curled as he set the phone on the pristine counter and folded his arms.

"Why do you say that?"

He knew why. I might as well just spell it out.

"You weren't bothered one bit by me being with Phillip."

Henry grinned. "I don't typically get too jealous, that's true."

I felt very petty for being let down.

"But I'm a human being. There are certain things that make me really jealous." He sat forward with his elbows on the counter, his presence suddenly very intimidating and pervasive.

I gulped hard at the sudden fire that lit his eyes.

"Like what things?" I finally asked.

"I am very giving, but when something is very rare, and very hard to deconstruct, I want to be the first one to do it. I want it to be mine. All mine. As you recall, I did say that I am an all or nothing kind of guy." He sat up and got off the stool. "You'll learn soon enough. Want me to show you around?"

Oh great. Go on and steal my breath and then casually ask me if I want to walk around when my knees are weak and all the butterflies in my gut are flapping overtime.

Wordlessly, I slipped off the stool and followed him. The rest of the house was harmonious to the designs I saw when I first walked in. I got used to the clinical aspects of it because of the bursts of warmth, although it still felt cold. A bit lonely, I don't know. It didn't feel humanized to me. It's like no one really lived there. But while all the huge windows made me uncomfortable at first, I took a great liking to them. Even the railing of the stairs were just glass pains that lined the steps.

I noticed that we didn't go into one particular room on the bottom floor.

"What's that door?" I asked curiously. 

"Nothing exciting," Henry said dismissively as he finished his water bottle.

"Now I want to see even more."

Henry looked at me, almost exasperatedly, but also thoughtfully.

"And hey, you know what I just realized?" I asked abruptly.

"What?"

"I've shown you my toys. My entire list of video games. All my history. When am I going to see your toys? Aren't friends supposed to share?"

He continued to stare at me pensively, as though waging an inner war, then he shook his head with a small smile. "You are good, Valerie."

"What?" I asked innocuously.

Not saying a word, Henry took my hand and led me to the door. When he opened it, my eyes widened. It was a home studio, a complete alternate universe to the pale, bright colors of the rest of the house.

It was cloaked in dark colors. Mainly black, and small highlights of beige. The couches were leather, and the walls were padded. I didn't know much about music technology, but it was all throughout the rom.

"Are you fuckin kidding me? This is out of this word!" I gushed as I stared at the glass room that housed a microphone. There was something so epic about this room. It didn't feel like real life. I knew I had my father's penchant for obsessing over different kinds of technology. Even though Dad didn't know much about music I knew he'd be impressed by everything in the room. Everything looked so high-end and sleek and somewhat untouchable. It was intimidating to an extent.

"You like it?" Henry pierced through my brain.

There was an expectance and hope in his voice. I turned to him. He almost looked like a kid wanting their parents' approval. He looked just a bit vulnerable. So boyish and young and the excitement in his eyes, in his every limb was brimming over.

"That's your 'I'm offended you even asked look'," he observed, lowering his chin.

"You're getting to know me well, my friend." I slowly turned back around and advanced further in the room as I admired it all. "This is amazing," I barely whispered.
"Thank you."

"No Henry, I'm serious," I told him somberly. He'd come to stand next to me.

"You kind of look like you want to hit me."

"That's how serious I am. I'm so serious I'm angry." I playfully and dramatically grabbed onto his shirtfront. "This is fucking awesome, okay?!"

Henry laughed and backed up, his hands over my wrists. "Okay! Okay!"

"Who helped you do this?" I asked in wonder, looking up to the high ceiling.

"Well my mentor has always been my high school choir teacher, but I pretty much had to figure out a lot of it on my own."

"Really?"

"My mom was supportive but she could only do so much. Come on, let's go back out there."

I didn't want to leave, but clearly he felt some kind of way for someone to be in there with him. I didn't want the subject to close. I'd just found this hidden box with him and managed to open it. I wanted to know what else was in that box.

"Care for some pool?" he asked when we were in the location next to the living room where a pool table stood with glass legs where some of the colorful billiard balls had fallen into.

"Sure," I acquiesced and he handed me my cue stick. We tried to play for a while but both realized we sucked at it and were now playing for fun.

My mind was still on our last conversation.

"Dad?" I blurted randomly.

"Huh?" Henry looked at me strangely. "I don't think you're my daughter Valerie. Have you lost your mind…"

I laughed at how unsure he looked. "No I meant your dad. Was he supportive? I notice you mostly only ever speak about your mother."

Henry seemed surprised by my pointed question and I hoped I hadn't been inappropriate. He almost became closed off, but seemed to fight through some restrains and finally spoke.

"Not really. My dad wanted me to do something practical. I don't blame him. I get my love of music from him. He tried to break into the industry and it didn't work and it was rough for him to go back to school and make something of himself." I noticed how closed off Henry's voice was when he talked about his father as opposed to the openness and devotion one could hear when he spoke highly of his mother.

"But I will say, he made me ambitious. Him leaving gave me no choice but to succeed."


I stared at him in silent amazement. When I didn't speak, he looked up from eying the table as he rounded it, and a hint of insecurity hit him. He didn't seem to comfortable when it came to his father and that was evident when regret began to claim his features, as though he rued ever bringing him up.

"What?" he asked and I frowned at the discomfort he obviously had with his father. It didn't make me think less of him, it made me think more. It added to his character, all these things that made him up.

"How am I not supposed to want everything from you when you tell me these things, Henry?"

Oh shit. What had I just said? I was about to try and detour the conversation when Henry, after blinking stunned for a while, spoke.

"And how am I not supposed to give you everything when you look at me like that."

What the hell were we saying right now. It's like our hearts had leaped out to center stage and spoken for those few moments. I know that sounds really lame and eye-roll worthy but it's truly how it felt. I felt too much pressure, it was getting so heavy we both ended up looking away at the same time, but I caught the look of regret on Henry's face which I'm sure mirrored my own before we both averted out faces.

"I admire you. I envy you," I finally told him as I lightly hit the billiard balls, sending them rolling around the green table.

"They're just things."

"That represent your hard work," I explained as I moved to a different spot to hit the balls. "The fact that you never let anyone tell you no. the fact that you never gave in. most people don’t' just do what they want to do. They play it safe. You didn't play it safe. I admire that."

"It's not too late, Valerie. You're only twenty-seven. Not seventy-seven."

"This isn't about me," I told him. "This is about you being admired. Don't make it about me. I'm just saying from my stand point and what I've seen, I respect risk takers like you a lot. You honor your craft and never abandon it."

He was blushing and rubbing his nape and it was the cutest thing I'd ever seen.

"Thank you. It means a lot. Never thought I'd have a software developer's respect," he said with a grin.

"So are you self taught?" I wanted to know more about that side of him that he seemed to hide so much and I still wasn't sure why.

"Well I had piano lessons as a child," Henry explained. He bent to take his shot. "My mom kept me in them because she knew how much I enjoyed it. And my choir teacher taught me how to sing, but as far as learning how to write songs and produce, I'd say I'm a bit of both, self taught and taught. I don’t think anyone who is taught isn't self-taught. Even when learning from someone else, you learn a lot of things about yourself and you learn what works for you and what doesn't."

"How did you juggle having so much fun and working towards this?" I asked curiously. I'd never been one to juggle work and fun too well. The fun I had was always few and far between. This year was sort of the first time I really tried to do more besides work, but that was to relieve some of the pressure I felt from work.

"I'd have fun to let off steam but music, music was just the only way I could survive. And I wanted it so bad. I was in a small time band both here and in London. I just always felt I had to be successful for my mother. She really struggled when my father left, and I tried to like other things. I tried to like math I tried to love science but I always found myself going back to music. Music was the only thing that made sense to me. So I made the decision earlier on that if I was going to succeed in anything, it had to be music. And because I chose music, I decided I had to go 1000% because I knew it wasn't an easy field to break into. Only about 2% of people who get into music really make it.

"And that is true because I didn't make it the way I wanted to." He was so engrossed that he was sitting on the edge of the table holding the cue stick between his parted legs. I'd briefly stopped playing to look at him as he spoke. "I always wanted to be in the front. I always wanted to be on the stage but record labels didn't think I had what it took. But I saw a window of opportunity when one of the A&R's, god bless him, saw something in me I hadn't--songwriting. He was intrigued by one of the two songs I sang at the audition and was impressed when I told him I wrote it. Next thing I know I was signing up with the publishing, songwriting team of the label and trained with them for years. It was daunting because I was so young and a lot of the old heads didn’t take me seriously.

"Some didn't think I deserved to be there. There were some who were supportive, but it's always easier to believe the negative. I nearly gave up but Nathan shook me into reality and reminded me that since I hadn't focused on anything else really all my life, music was kind of my only option at that point. It was all or nothing and I had to give my all, so I worked harder than anyone I knew. It's so crazy to me though because it all happened so fast. It was so hard at some point my mother was worried cause I was paying more attention to song writing than I was at school. But thankfully I graduated, moved to the U.S. with the U.S. branch of the label I was signed to, and it was around that time that I wrote my first successful song. I'm humbled and lucky that the third official song I wrote was a mega hit when I was still fairly young. I'd been around the industry long enough to know being at the forefront wasn't all it was cracked up to be.

"I have a friend, a struggling female musician who nearly overdosed on drugs. The pressure was too high. Her singles weren't charting, the pressure to look a certain way made her anorexic, her family was disappointed in her because they figured once she got the record deal, she'd be successful enough to get them out of their debt but it doesn't happen the way most people think. Lot's of it is luck and some people don't understand that. The pressure made her turn to drugs. I wouldn't wish that lifestyle on anybody.

"But on the other hand, when you're in the forefront, there's that watching someone just have a stadium full of people just together on the same page." His eyes lit up as he looked at his hands holding the cue stick with a wistful smile on his lips. "I've been backstage a couple of times, and nothing can top that feeling. I've seen my brother and his group of friends, I used to get so envious because that's the lifestyle I wanted, especially at that age. It just seems so amazing. But once I saw my first check was way more than theirs, I had no more complaints and realized it was my calling."

I smiled at his last comment--always trying to see the glass half full.

Henry looked up at me, his face turning red. This had to be the first time I saw him startled and extremely embarrassed. He smiled bashfully as he glanced down at his hands again.

"Sorry. That's why I don't like talking about it when people ask me about it.  I get so carried away when it comes to music. Talkin' too much."

I wanted to hug him and squeeze him. He was too fucking cute. He had me feeling all kinds of things I couldn't even begin to explain.

"I have never been so mesmerized in my life."

He sighed, visibly irritated. "Stop."

"You're…words can't…"

"Really, Valerie, you say I'm the corny one."

"I have to be corny for this. You're so out of this world words can't even explain you."

He looked surprised, a bit intimidated even, but I wouldn't back down. He may have heard this a lot but he had to hear it from me. He had to hear that I thought he was beyond amazing. I was in awe of him.

"I'm ordinary, I just decided to follow my dream," he murmured. "There are many other successful songwriters. We're just lucky that we get to sell our music in many platforms. Now if I was a neurosurgeon or an astronaut or hell, a software developer, then I'd think I was the shit. I'm just a songwriter and music producer, that's all. I'm not a rare commodity. "

He astounded me again. This unassuming trait he had. At first I thought it was a means of self-preservation. Underneath all the humbleness he had to have known he was great. He just had to.

"That's not a fucking 'that's all. You took the whole 'life is a gift' to the next level and you will forever have my respect just for doing exactly what you wanted to do, living your life the way you wanted, and not letting anyone tell you otherwise. Hell, and you were kickin' it with women half your age at the same time. True rock star."

Henry's eyes glimmered as he smiled at me, my genuine appraisals of him visibly warming him.

"I want you to be proud of what you've accomplished. I want you to be unafraid and unapologetic of being good. You are who you are. There is no reason to apologize for being successful so vastly so young. You earned it, didn't you? It wasn't handed to you."

If there's one thing my parents instilled in me, it was earning your professional success. Henry had more than earned his.

"This is why I need you in my life. You just make me happy. Extremely happy. Too happy." He almost looked troubled by the thought. That or my imagination was running wild.

"Well I cant wait to tell all my friends, those are just two, that I'm buddied with a world renown producer songwriter. They better bow down to me."

"When I tell my friend I know a software developer they look at me like I've joined the big leagues."

"You just ruined it. Sucked the life out of me."

"Why are you not proud of what you do?" Henry turned the tables and I shrugged.

"Cause I hate it. I made a dumb choice. I thought life was about pleasing everyone because I just needed someone to tell me that I finally did something, one thing, right, and I made the mistake of not following my dreams. I just need to get over gaining acceptance from certain people," I said candidly and he seemed a bit surprised by this. I know I had my immature moments. My moments when I was so lost int he maze of insecurity that i couldn't see how infantilizing it could make me. But I'd had lots of moments for self-reflection that made me realize that certain parts of me, mainly the parts that dealt with the paths I'd chosen in life, were my fault and I had to change it for me.

"Henry, even if you only had one penny to your name," I continued. "I would still be mesmerized by you. Failure was not an option because you didn't equate success to money, you equated it to just being true to yourself. It seems so easy but it takes a strong person to do that. I admire you for that."

I was being honest. I admired fearless people who did as they pleased as long as they weren't hurting others. I knew someone who had done the same and while it had hurt me that their path in life didn't involve me, I now understood why they did it. I remember Henry saying he felt a huge amount of guilt leaving his siblings to acquire his dreams. Sometimes sacrifices needed to be made.

If i was completely honest with myself, despite my parents' iron fists, there was a level of safety at home that kept me from taking that risk to do what I wanted on my own. I always had their tutelage by following their rules. Part of me not following my dreams was being too afraid of not having anyone or anything to fall back on.

"You're making this so hard," Henry murmured and by now I knew it was habit for him to say that.

I looked up from the billiard balls to find him eying me inscrutably.

"What?"

Our eyes held for several moments and I began to blush foolishly. Ugh.

"Can you let the awkwardness stop and tell me what you mean?" I asked a bit impatiently. There was something in his eyes that made me feel like he could peer into my soul. Henry looked at his hands as he twisted the cue stick.

"You're a strong person too, Valerie," he said instead, dodging my probing. "Not everyone has the same path. Just because someone didn't follow their dreams doesn't make them weak or any less of a person. Look at my dad. He did and he didn't succeed but he was strong enough to put his love of music aside so that he could raise his family. I think it's harder to not do what you want to do, and be at a point in your life where you have no choice. Waking up every day and just keeping it going and still trying to be happy and make something of your life, I admire those people.

"There's no right or wrong way of succeeding. Plus, I think sometimes we're all too caught up with success, and it's materialistic success. We don’t just slow down and enjoy the small successes in our lives. I know that sounds cliche and a bit forced, but I'm learning it the hard way. Sometimes I wonder why the hell I kept running for this success. Which is fine, I guess, but for me right now, I just want something simple. It's okay to just be fine and be happy the same way it's okay for someone to just want to win all the time, we're all different, have different paths, different endings."

i stood there blown away by his philosophy of life. It still seemed a bit scattered but I got what he was trying to say, and as usual he was trying to say something without really saying it if it involved his own small sufferings. I looked around at the big house and as I stared at Henry's profile as he thoughtfully eyed his hands, I realized that he may have been a bit overwhelmed by his success. Swallowed by it. He'd have had to come to this mansion all by himself, and then what did all these things mean if he was alone?

While my upbringing wasn't the best, at least I didn't have to do it completely alone. I kept thinking about how expertly Henry went through the streets on his own. How long had he been alone when chasing his dreams?

"You could still become a game coder, you know," he went on, swinging his gaze to me. "Or try. Or incorporate it into your skills somehow. I'm not just talking like a guy with his head in the clouds. I  know it's not an easy thing."

He leaned towards me and got a hold of my wrist, pulling me towards him till I stood between his legs.  He set the cue stick on the pool table and held my hips in his hands as he lazily tilted his head backwards to look at me.

"Stop doubting yourself so much," he said softly, looking up at me.

Shame. Of course I remembered when George said something along the same lines, but refused him to subjugate my line of thinking. Henry was kind enough to listen to me so I was determined to do the same. Smiling, I smoothed my hands over Henry's shoulders and his eyes went ablaze. Slipping my hands under his curls, I locked them behind his nape, feeling so at home with him holding me and me holding him.

Some 'friends' we were, huh?

"I think it's pretty awesome how we're so good for each other. Like we're literally each other's therapists for free."

This made him laugh so hard his laughter reverberated off of the walls. I loved to see him smile so much. His laugh was infectious. He laughed so hard his forehead dropped into my shoulder and I nuzzled the soft curls of his hair. I inhaled. Nice fresh smell of apples.

"We are actually, when you really think about it." His voice was muffled, right above my breast. So comforting.

"I will be honest with you." He rolled his head back to look up at me again."The basis of our friendship. I never thought it would be this amazing."

His hands trailed up the curve of my back, exhilarating me.

"what?" I pressed for elaboration. Henry hesitated, but I goaded him with my eyes.

"This feeling. Being around you. I never thought I would meet such a life-changing person when I met you."

I smiled. Feeling grand. I'd never been called 'life-changing'. I remembered my very first thoughts when I met Henry.

"I had a feeling," I admitted, raising my fingers to get lost in his soft curls. Henry closed his eyes as the balls of my fingers massaged his scalp.

"You did?" he murmured drowsily.

"Yeah. The moment you said you needed to break my walls down, I knew. It was weird."

He opened his eyes and smiled. As I looked down at him I admired the crescents his surprisingly long dark brown lashes formed, framing his brilliant emerald eyes. How had I snagged such a beautiful man.

I'd always thought in the movies or just in general when couples stared at each other lengthily that it must be weird. I could never do it too long with George. I was way more self-conscious then to do it but he would do it with me and sometimes he would just stare at me and tell me I was beautiful.

While I still had a few self-conscious bones in me, I couldn't look away from Henry. Even my own insecurities now weren't enough to keep me from staring in wonderment. We were so incredibly close that I could see the lighter green specks of his eyes to the hazel that surrounded his pupils.

His eyelids lowered as he lifted to meet my lips and I met him halfway, kissing him lightly. His arms wound around me and he drew me closer as the kiss deepened, my fingers speared higher over the globe of his head, tangled in the curls and I got lost in the kiss.

Everytime Henry kissed me, he kissed me like it was both the first time and the last time. Even when the kisses were light. This one had become passionate, almost maddening. There was an urgency in the kiss that alarmed me to the point I felt so…alive.

I kissed him back with the same urgency. It wasn't so much a need but I want. I just wanted to kiss him. I don't know why. Well I knew why. I just couldn't explain it.

Henry suddenly pulled back from me. He immediately put distance between us, his head bowed as he gently pushed me away from him, his hands still on my waist until I was a few feet away.

He got up, not holding my gaze, "I'll show you you're room. It's kind of late. Unless you really want me to drop you off."

He was putting away the dishes. He was suddenly cold towards me. I didn't get it at first. Why was it as though he was battling this inner conflict within him? Then I remembered, he said it was all happening too fast. I agreed, but I was already in the pit as I watched his back facing me, his back muscles bunching as he put away all the recipes in the kitchen.

I couldn't turn away now, the way it was so easy for him to turn from me. I just couldn't. I wanted Henry Walker more than my fucking next breath. He'd opened up a part of himself to me that had me even more drawn. I flipping ached to know more of his philosophies on life. I wanted to know every minute detail about the struggles he faced trying to make it. I wanted to know him. He was paradoxical. An open man that was still a huge case of secrets. I had never met someone like this.

The first time I met Henry I thought I had him figured out because he didn't carry himself with a chip on his shoulder. He didn't walk around with a brooding scowl that already let it be known he was a man of secrets. His arms were open for hugs and he had to be one of the friendliest people one could meet. But there were parts of himself he kept hidden.

I had questions but didn't know how to ask them. We said we wanted to take things slow yet we were kissing each other just about to rip each other's clothes off.

"Do you need help?" I asked gently as I apprehensively walked to the kitchen. I suddenly didn't feel so welcome.

"I got it," was his clipped response. So was this how he worked? He went from being the most gregarious character on the street to responding to me like I was a complete stranger in a hostile environment. This was backwards and I hope he knew it. Then I told myself to stop being so harsh. He'd gotten out of a bad relationship, being cheated on. We weren't exactly being the most well organized with how we were doing this friendship 'thing' of ours.

I knew all this but he'd sparked a hunger in me, an almost selfish one. My body was yearning for him like it had never yearned for anyone before. I was in trouble. It's a bit scary when you discover a new feeling pumping within your veins when you been in this world almost thirty years, especially after having such a mundane life for so long. It was scary and…dangerously exciting.

I think all those years of playing coy and

"Do you have anything more comfortable I can sleep in?" I asked next.

"I'll drop you off."

His response startled me. I grit my teeth. How could he annoy me in one second after making me hot just seconds before.

"I think I want to stay," I said stubbornly and this made Henry pause briefly.

"It's fine, I don't mind dropping you off."

"It's past twelve and I live two hours away."

"I'm a night owl."

"I'm not. I'm really tired."

"I'll  be driving. You can sleep on the ride."

"It will be too uncomfortable knowing you have to drive all that way back."

"I can check into a hotel close by."

"Why waste your money?"

"My money, being the key words…"

He wanted me to lose this battle but I forged on.

"Isn't there a guest room that you showed me earlier? I could sleep there"

Henry sighed sharply halfway through my words. "Okay, I'll show you to it when I'm done here."

He was at my counter, wiping it off now.

"Okay. Take your time. I'll make myself comfortable." I said cheeringly and Henry looked at me with a raised eyebrow.

"So you're going to just watch…"

"I don't mind watching. You have nice arms." I swung my legs merrily and for the first time since our mini-argument, Henry managed a smile and shook his head as though even he couldn't believe I'd managed to make him smile.

"Thank you," he murmured.

"And nice shoulders. Your back is really nice too."

He simply shook his head but still wearing a smile.

"You're legs are also really long. Have you modeled before?"

"Valerie…I already said you can stay in the guest room. No need for all the flattery…"

"Oh I was about to say you can be a real jerk too but my asking if you've modeled before was a serious question."

"Once or twice."

I wiggled my hands mischievously before grinning like The Grinch and drumming the tip of my fingers together expectantly.

"Google is my new friend."

Henry laughed heartily at this, his eyes twinkling. "You are definitely one of a kind, Valerie."

"The kind you can't stay mad at?" I asked hopefully and while his eyes said yes, he said differently.

"Only the annoying kind."

"A badge I wear with pride." I took it all in stride and Henry seemed to appreciate this with a smile.

"I can't win with you can I? I have to fight really hard, don't I?" he asked as he completed cleaning the counter and I shrugged.

"Follow me," He said after storing the cleaning rug.

He showed me to the guestroom that was cream and pale blue, with a wide window that overlooked the ocean. It was a nice room but my earlier thoughts of how impersonal this house was had never left. I wondered if anyone had ever slept there.

"Okay," he started closing the door behind him. "Make yourself at home--"

"Wait!"

Henry pursed his lips and I caught the aggravation on his face before he tried to soften it while slowing down with forced patience and turning back at me.

"Yes Valerie?"

"I need a t-shirt."

"I'll be right back."

"Can I come wi--"

"It's a very short trip." He quickly closed the door behind him, this time not hiding his vexation with me. I heard a thump on the door and when I peered at the floor I saw the shadow of his feet. He was leaning against the door.

He was trying to stay away from me. For the better of…our friendship I suppose. But I was burning up. I wasn't thinking straight. Suddenly I couldn't imagine spending this night without him. I didn't care what we did. I didn't care if we talked or just sat around looking at each other all night or just lay together, I wanted to be near him.

Maybe it was this underlying fear that if he dropped me off, he'd disappear off the face of the earth again. And who knew for how long this time? I was just about to hop off the bed and go searching for him like a chicken without a head when he returned with a two folded garments in one hand.

As he handed it to me, I held onto his hand.

"Henry?""

"Hmm?"

The muscles of his wrist were strained the moment I touched him and his expression was slightly alarmed, like I never should have touched him in the first place.

"Stay with me please," I pleaded quietly.

He was clearly stunned, but the dread that soon followed was loud and clear as well.

"We can watch a movie," I began in a rushed, almost panicked voice. "Or just talk some more about you and--"

"I have nothing more to say." His voice was a bit hard and it took me aback so much. He must have realized how cold he sounded and he sighed heavily.

"I can't," his voice was pained.

"Why…" The hurt in my voice was evident.

His jaw twitched as he tried to swallow his words, then he admitted stonily. "Because I'll want to take you. All of you. I would want it all. Today. Now."

My entire face flushed. I went warm all over. His voice was gravelly and sure. He knew what he wanted. I did too. I was so drunken from him I spoke without much thought. "…so take me…"

Henry closed his eyes and he shook his head as if wishing I'd never uttered those words, "Valerie…you don't want me to…"

"I know what I want. I want you."

He opened his eyes, they were brilliant and bright in surprise. How could he be surprised that I wanted him? I saw some of the uncertainty in his eyes and realized how I may have sounded a bit too needy and softened my plea a little.

"For now. Not like, in that way. You know what I mean…"

His expression became ambiguous and I couldn't help but become insecure once again. I let go of his hand and scooted further up the bed, away from him.

“I think you're the one who doesn't want me," I murmured, somewhat petulantly.

"I want you more than any…" his voice tapered off and he sighed. "You don't want to know how much I want you."

While the words should have made me high, they triggered something dark from my past.

'The only reason men like inexperienced, innocent girls is because they can be easily controlled. The same way I controlled you because you were so fucking desperate. so fucking desperate and weak. No one will ever truly want you.'

That memory made me speak caustically.

"I'm not dumb, okay? I know what this is. I don't want any promises and won't make them. I don't want commitment. I just want you, right now, in this moment. That's all. Nothing permanent. I swear."

For several moments Henry held my gaze, his expression neutral. When he finally spoke, it was in a very calm, resolved tone.

"Okay." Reaching behind his nape with one hand, he bowed his head and peeled his shirt in one swoop. Then he went to the door and closed it.

And he turned off the lights.

End Notes:

i will add more about val being more sensitive to the fact that he had a relationship later. sorry about that.

Chapter 15 by notheruniverse
Author's Notes:

changed the last few sentences of chapter 14. Just made him not say anything and take off his shirt and turn off the lights. i will remove this note after a few days

 

___

 

apples247peaches.tumblr.com

Chapter 15

I would never forget the sounds of the waves from that night.

Once Henry had tossed his shirt to the floor and left me speechless, everything got so quiet that the sound of the waves from the nearby ocean seemed to liven from nowhere.

The waves highlighted to me where I was in my life: in a place I never thought I'd be. They highlighted how far away I was from home; this was the second time I'd gone far from home and hadn't notified mom or dad.

They highlighted who was standing before me: Henry Walker.

I always had an inkling that he had a nice body but I didn't think it would be this perfect. I knew maybe me really liking him so much already was probably skewing my vision but I think even his worst enemy would agree: Henry Walker had a body on him.

Aside from the moonlight, the only other lights were various shards of the pale blue lights that surrounded the house--being that the guest room was on the ground floor. They made the room look mystical, something out of a dream, and they were slightly invasive because of one of those damned grandiose windows this house was famous for.

So this lighting made for a very overawing sight of Henry. One couldn't even tell the color of his eyes in the the dim lighting of the room now. While he was muscled and toned, he wasn't built like a bodybuilder. He was athletically lean with a defined torso and a flat stomach that had a light six pack. His torso and arms were cloaked in artful tattoos that were the most handsome I'd ever seen, not obstructive at all. He knew what he was doing with those tattoos. The whimsical lines and different shades and pops of color that I could see in the dim lighting all worked harmoniously together. The only thing that really stood out was the number '4' right above where his heart was located. I wondered the significance and was briefly reminded that tomorrow would be the 4th. July 4th. Actually, today, I remembered, cause it was passed 12.

Even though I wanted to ask what all his tattoos meant, I couldn't speak. I was too busy admiring the art on his body and his body as well. My heart raced as I lowered my eyes to the trail of hair that began under his navel.

I wanted him. I wanted him all.

"Take off your clothes," he instructed and I opened my mouth, not sure of what I wanted to protest. How could I start acting demure when I was the one who'd basically pounced on him and challenged him to take me? He'd probably known better with all his experience with women. He must have known I was all talk.

I didn't want to be all talk. I did want to jump on him. Like I could move a muscle of mine, other than the light shaking of invigoration and fear that was taking place in my limbs.
 
At first I didn't think he was serious, then I thought he would spare me and come and do it for me. Instead, his eyes alit with fire and they were engaging as they were ensnaring as he dipped his chin.

"Slowly," he murmured as he raked the hot coals that were his eyes all over my body. He folded his arms in a very patient gesture that demonstrated he had all night and he was going to treasure every moment carefully and wisely.  I felt more moisture pull at my center just from the look in his eyes and my toes curled as anxiousness spread through me.

This was the side of Henry Walker that stole hearts. It was that side that hibernated constantly at him but only reared its head when it wanted to claim its prey. 

He wasn't going to help and looked like he would stare at me the whole night so I decided hey I might as well. I now had the stage.

I had never truly had the stage, to be the object of desire. I gulped hard and sat up with great effort because my arms were so weak from my rakish nerves. Avoiding eye contact, I unbuttoned my shirt, my shaky fingers making it extremely difficult.

My nerves were so bad, the thumping of my heart was loud in my ear, but I forged on.

I peeked at him to see the humor in his eyes and made a face at him, only for him to smirk. Once I parted the shirt and shed it off of me, the smirk on his face faded. I was sitting in nothing but my bra and skirt in front of him. He still had my panties in his pocket.

The hungry look in his eyes gave me a burst of confidence I'd felt only once in my life. I ignored the reflexive dread that followed, forcing myself to enjoy the moment.

I knew my thoughts of wow this really hot guy is basically speechless cause of me were very juvenile and immature, even very shallow, but that's what happened when a person didn't have experience the time the world says they're supposed to.

Knowing now that my stretchmarks didn't bother him as much as they bothered me, I began to shimmy my skirt down my thighs. I did note how pathetic it was that I was okay with my stretch marks since they didn't bother him and that wasn't good. I had to work on that, but would worry about that later.

Swallowing hard again, I looked up to find Henry drinking me with his eyes. They were burning fiercely in a way that made me ache.

He was eying my legs, about to take a step forward, then suddenly stop as something dawned on him. This made me pause.

"Touch yourself."

I eyed Henry in horror. What kind of fuckery was he talking about now?

"Open your legs and touch yourself," He elaborated so bluntly with a teasing smirk, my eyes widened even more. I remember my mother would always tell me never to open my legs for anyone until I had a thriving career and here I was, being told to part my legs for a very ravishing man. Henry's tone was a bit challenging now. He was testing me. He wanted to see just how far I could go with exploring my sexuality. He'd said as much when we were in the back of the taxi that he could just tell just from my walk. I flushed at the thought that he'd watched me walk.

This was so weird to me. I remember when I had my first time with George. He'd impatiently tugged my clothes off of me. He hadn't stared at my body like it was an awing piece of art the way Henry was looking at me now. Of course the pressing thought that if I still weighed the same with all the love handles and folds I wouldn't even be in this room with Henry right now when Henry's voice pierced into my disturbing thoughts.

"I want you to not think so much. Just let it go. Enjoy yourself. Close your eyes and just feel what I feel when I touch you. I want you to feel how beautiful you are when I feel you."

My mouth dropped and my throat went dry. How could he make touching oneself sound so…mesmerizing.

Moistening my lips, with Henry's eyes flickering as he caught the action, I swallowed hard. I couldn't get passed doing anything without him noticing. He was keen to my every move. It made my heart sing but also made me feel pressure.

I sighed and closed my eyes, having to remember not to think so much, one of my biggest flaws. I remembered just how hungrily Henry had feasted on me twice, the second time like a beast that had been in a cage too long and finally released to its first meal. I gasped when I touched myself and felt how wet and hot I was. Remembering how Henry touched and teased me, I bit my bottom lip as my fingers adventurously fondled the silky folds. Henry's rough sigh encouraged me to explore further, with my hips agitating now at the feeling. Also because adrenaline was rushing through me.

As prudish as I was, this was not my natural self. I was not such a prude that I'd never tried my hand at masturbating, I just wasn't really good at it, but something was different this time.

Something inside me was just very thrilled. It's like I'd opened a door I'd always walked passed in my life because I'd always believed that I wasn't 'allowed' to go there. Whenever I tried to mention trying 'new things' with George, he always came off very uncomfortable and made me feel weird for even mentioning anything to him. All my life I felt I didn't deserve much, even sex, because as many said, I was 'disgusting' and had 'done that to myself' as far as gaining lots of weight. So when George made me believe he loved me, I thought I could confide in him about my sexual desires. Wrong.

Sitting in front of Henry with my legs parted, it may have looked stupid, but I felt so…free. Like I could do and be anything around him. Maybe I was thinking too deeply into it, but it nearly brought tears into my eyes. I pushed those thoughts back and focused on what my hands were doing, imagining Henry's handsome, red mouth there.

I moaned, fingering myself with my middle finger like he did with his tongue when he was searching and tasting.

"Valerie…" The rough sound of my name sounded so erotic. I started breathing through my mouth as I thrust my finger in and out of myself like he did with his tongue because he knew how crazy that got me. This is when he usually pried my legs further to get deeper. I opened my legs more for him as I thrust deeper into myself.

"Fuck…." I heard followed by a hiss that made me leak even more onto my fingers.

"Henry…" I moaned as I started to use my thumb to rub my clitoris, imagining it was his tongue circling me. My body began to get taut as touching myself there heightened my arousal. The sounds Henry was making were taking me there too. I bit my lip as I quickened my thumb over my clit like his tongue would do, my breaths coming out in quick gushes. I imagined that warm, wet tongue, the desperate groans, and I came. Hard.

When my body stopped convulsing and I was breathing my last deep breath, I opened my eyes to find Henry staring at me in amazement. I almost smiled because I was usually the one getting amazed by him, and it didn't take long for that to happen again. His lips were slightly parted and one hand was at his groin, rubbing suggestively. Just knowing I was the reason for all this gave me so much power I'd never felt before in my life.

This surge of bravado made me lift my hands. Normally I wouldn't have even thought to do something like this, but his devouring eyes got me so hyper, I daintily run my tongue over the ball of my middle finger, looking him directly in the eye. I had tasted myself on his tongue multiple times by now so I was not surprised by the taste moreso than I was by my behavior. I don't know where this powerful seductress in me came from. Maybe she'd been locked in a cage, guarded for so long and was finally breaking free.

She was out because my guard was down.

I didn't know how long it would last, but Henry had made something awaken within me that surprised the hell out of me.

He was surprised too, his eyes widening and his shoulders rising and falling further as he breathed deeper. Muttering a curse, Henry bit his lip and jetted to the bed. He closed his lips over my tongue while it danced lasciviously over my fingers and groaned appreciatively as he obviously tasted myself on me. He tasted my tongue and outlined my lips, clearly trying to pace himself. Then haplessly, his tongue snaked back out to my finger to taste the rest of me that I hadn't. I watched in some kind of twisted awe as he lapped me up and then tried to join him, like we were both sharing a popsicle. Henry's eyes lifted to mine, flickering with humor as mine did. As our tongues slid across my fingers, they occasionally slipped through the cracks and whenever they rubbed against each other, it was electric. I liked this little devious form of sharing we were partaking in.

He looked so pleased by my participation it made me feel good. If this was what sex was supposed to be like, I wanted it all the time. We were having fun. We were being adventurous and we hadn't even travelled the world together. We were experiencing new worlds together, finding the adventures in each other's bodies.

Henry's hunger augmented and he lowered my hand to devour my lips, searching and tasting even more. Then I froze in surprise when he cupped my wetness. He was much gentler in how he touched me down there. I smiled inwardly thinking he was probably over-eager and got carried away. It was actually nice to know that someone wanted me so much they couldn't control themselves.

To show him that I wanted him too, I opened my legs a bit more to give him more access. Henry sighed into my mouth and I moaned as his fingers slid easily into me, as I was already soaking wet. Of course his fingers felt better in  me than mine did because he knew what to do. It was a bit daunting to think that someone else knew a part of me better than I did, but I didn't have much time to be intimidated too long. Disrupting the kiss, I threw my head back in ecstasy as he began measured 'come heather' motions with his index and middle fingers. From his vantage he could get deeper in me than I could on my own and he was rubbing that spot again that always made me go crazy.

I was squirming like crazy, biting my moans and clawing at the sheets with my legs restlessly shifting on either side of Henry's hard body.

"So good…Valerie…"

The sound of his satisfied deep voice made my vagina naturally close around his fingers, and I moaned as I felt him more. Henry moaned deep in his throat at the tighter vault I created, then took me higher as he began the mind-numbing act of rubbing the pad of his thumb on my throbbing clit while moving his fingers within me.

All I was doing was following his lead because he was allowing me to. I didn't have to lay there like a rock and just 'take it' painfully like times in the past. Henry and I having already been sexual before made me a bit more comfortable for this moment because I didn't have to worry about my stretch marks and for that, I was glad. I didn't have to be so self-conscious about my jarring stretch marks.

The fact that I happened to really, really, really, like him, and the fact that he seemed to like me and how my body responded to him, gave me yet another eruption of confidence. The mind is a powerful tool because those thoughts alone caused me to use my body experimentally. I curiously began to move my hips up and down to meet his manual thrusts. This caused more friction thus more pleasure. 

Apprehensively, I watched his expression as I did this and Henry lifted his eyes in surprise at me. For a moment I thought he'd complain that I was trying to have way too much control, but when I saw desire infiltrate his eyes, I knew he liked it. It made me feel somewhat powerful.

Hungrily biting his lip, he slowly eased a third finger into me. I winced at first at the stretching, but it quickly felt good because he took painstaking time. Then he began to slowly move his fingers in me, simply just acquainting himself with me. My fingers curled further into the bed. His lips soon found their way to my arched neck and he alternated between licking and kissing down to my chest.

The sound of sweet, small kisses over my breaths and thrashing body was so erotic I was sure Henry felt me dousing his fingers even more. He kissed his way back up to my shoulder and bared his teeth as he caught the bra strap, tugging it down. With my shoulder exposed, he planted soft kisses along it. With his free hand, he peeled the other bra strap and tried to undo the bra with one hand.

"Take it off," he ordered frustratingly when he couldn't do it with one hand. Clearly he didn't want to take his other out of me. Since I didn't either, I tried to take it off, but with great effort. My limbs were a buzz. If he'd stop pleasuring me this would be so much easier.

I flimsily tossed the bra somewhere, I don't know where, cause my concentrations were on Henry's hand.

"So beautiful," he murmured and began to kiss down the curve of my chest until he got to my left breast. He unashamedly took one nipple into his mouth and rolled his tongue over the areola before dusting the tip of it over the sensitive nipple. My body jerked at the powerful sensation, making my hips agitate thus making Henry's fingers hit more spots. Additionally my jerky movements made his thumb stop its delicious rub over my clit.

"Oh fuck…Henry…"

He soundly suctioned the nipple off, his eyes burning with delight.

"Good girl. That's what I want to hear. Don't hold back," his voice rumbled like a steady tune that I could hear all night. I was getting so weak my arms gave and I was laying on my back, writhing beneath him.

"Stop?" He questioned and my eyes flew open and I angrily stared at his green eyes as they twinkled teasingly.

"I love having you in the palm of my hand," he had the nerve to say as a wicked smirk elongated on his lips.

My mouth flew open to tell him to shut up when he pressed his palm against my clitoris before rubbing from side to side, making me bite my words and arch.

"No fucking pun, huh?" I miraculously managed to say breathlessly as I frustratingly pushed some curls away from my face. 

Henry chuckled in amusement and lowered his head to give the other breast the same attention. Licking and sucking.

"Oh god. Henry…oh god…" I gripped his head, his curls tangled in my fingers, and held steadfast. All the while my legs agitated while his fingers continued to go to work.

Henry tore his lips from my chest.

"Look at me," he demanded and my eyes flew open. He'd leveraged his weight on his elbow as he lay sideways with me next to him, flat on my back. My chest was rising and falling from his hands.

"You smell wonderful," he murmured and wiggled his fingers inside me, making me jump lightly. He laughed throatily at my reaction and I bit my lip shyly.

"Is that what you do when you come?" Henry asked, eyes drunken with lust as he appreciated my lip biting. My cheeks grew warm and I looked away. I couldn't handle the deep voice and charming eyes sometimes. My nipples had tightened at that question alone as it brought so many thoughts and memories. Especially the fact that he was the first person to introduce me to orgasm.

"You know I haven't really watched you come, right," Henry murmured more as a statement than a question, his voice rough with want as he fingered me and began rubbing my clit again.

"Ah…Henry…" It was too pleasureful. I tried to back up but Henry hovered me again and trapped my waist with his other hand and continued to expertly fondle me. I was biting my lip again and Henry moaned lowly. I felt he had inched closer to me as his breaths caressed my lips, his voice quieter. 

"I want to watch all the faces you make when you're in your highest form of pleasure, Valerie."

"Mmm…" his words and hands made me moan as I averted my face, clawing at the sheets. With my face averted, Henry saw this as an opportunity to align his lips with my ear that was now facing him.

Then he nastily whispered to me, "And I want to be inside of you this time,  when you do."

I panted. I could feel the orgasm on it's way as Henry quickened his thumb rubbing on me. I thought about his words as he rubbed me and came hard against him, crying out and twisting underneath him.

I was shaking after the orgasm seemed to rupture through me. Henry finally removed his hand from within and put two fingers in his mouth, appreciatively closing his eyes as he tasted me. I got hot all over again. Fuck damn it. And he opened his eyes as he ran his tongue over his palm, which was even more hotter to me.

I blushed and looked away and saw Henry smirking from the corner of his eyes. He planted both hands on either side of me, his eyes burning into my sudden shy form as he spoke.

"I would love to eat you but I have waited to be inside you so long love, we will leave that for a later day."

Oh god. Eat me? That made my clit jump. This is the Henry that had been hiding in his shadow the night we first met. He was so all-encompassing, how could anyone escape him. Now I knew why some of those other women acted crazy around him. Dear god.

I felt Henry get off the bed and I watched in the shadows of the night as he fished through his pocket. My heart jumped at the sight of his silhouette against the distant image of white foam from the waves crashing. The sight was so beautiful yet I felt so haunted by how beautiful this all was to me. This was too perfect. The sound of the waves outside, punctured by the sound of Henry's belt clinking as he undid it was imprinted to my memory.

My body was charged and restless with excitement. But not for long.

I heard the condom wrapper rip and closed my eyes. This should have brought me good memories, but a sudden fear began to needle into me. Fear and some kind of dread from the past.

Then the dread was pierced through when his jeans fell to the floor and I got to see an outline of his masculine, strong legs. I bit my lip and my legs shifted as I clinched the bedsheets.

There was a tug of war going in my brain and in my heart. There were too many things that were signaling bad memories from my brain and my heart but there was also all this new excitement that my brain and heart couldn't ignore.

I sucked a breath as the mattress shifted when Henry rejoined me on the bed. My mouth watered when I saw his dick proudly in front of him. I gulped. He was sized very nicely and I squirmed wondering how that was going to work especially with how long I'd gone without sex.

The waves crashing outside seemed to be some sort of reminder that I was in a different place and a different time, so I should give this all a chance with a clear head. And the waves also somehow made this all the more intimate as I admired Henry a bit more now that he was within close proximity of me. The dark curls that surrounded his manhood rendered me hungry and so did the bulging muscles of his thighs as he took position above me. I wanted to touch him so badly. I wanted to feel those tight curls between my fingers. But I was trained not to touch. That training was instilled so much into me I kept my hands as still as possible to myself as Henry hovered me.

Henry kissed me deeply as he settled above me, and my body started to warm up again. He kissed me with passion, his head dipping, the curls of his hair tickling my face. Reflexively, my hands were on his arms.

The kisses as quiet as the waves sounded outside of us. It just sounded so breathtakingly beautiful. I knew I would never forget this night as long as I lived. Then Henry stopped abruptly.

"Open up for me love," he said as he ran his hands along the line my tightly clenched thighs formed. I didn't even realize I was that rigid beneath him until he pointed it out.

"Sorry," I apologized awkwardly as I relaxed my legs and Henry made home in between me.

When I felt his dick against my thigh, a surprising anxiety began to crescendo throughout my system, like a slowly moving hurricane into a town that had no choice but to wait for the attack. Dealing with Henry's mouth and hands was fine because we'd already broken through that barrier.

Him actually placing his vessel into me was totally different. My experience with that had not been consistent. It had ranged from extremely painful my first time, to a zig-zag effect of highs and lows after.

Sometimes it was good--very rarely--I think I'd loved George so much I couldn't tell. Other times it was bland because I just lay there while a man slammed into me and shook on top of me. Most times it was uncomfortable. The one time it had been the best turned out to be the worst night of my life.

My racing thoughts were interrupted by delicate kisses--which I was learning were the worst. They were my kryptonite. They always spoke so many volumes. His soft kisses always made me feel calm and cared for and safe and precious to the point of pain. It kind of hurt to be treated like something so treasured and breakable that he wanted to take his time to make sure he didn't break me or lose me.

Or hurt me.

Maybe I was thinking too far into it. It couldn't mean that much. A kiss was just a kiss, right? Or maybe he was baiting me to believe he cared just so that he could get a good fuck. But what was wrong with that anyway? No strings attached, right? Oh fuck it! I had to stop this. It wasn't my mind over thinking. My heart was doing all the talking that was confusing my mind. My heart nearly caused me to hiccup a sob because it was telling me that this was making love. This had to be what making love was. I clutched my eyes tight so that I wouldn't cry. I refused to ruin this moment.

I was almost in tears because this is what I'd always imagined being intimate with another person was and the fact that it was happening when I thought it would never happen to me was overwhelming me. Granted I was making a mountain out of a molehill, surely I was taking this too seriously. I know I was. I just--

"Are you ready for me?" Henry whispered against my ear, cutting off my agonizing thoughts.

Was I? Was I ready for this? How dare I fucking ask after pleading with the guy to take me.

"Yes. I'm ready," I said encouragingly, though my voice was shaky from unshed tears, but I just did not want him to think I didn't want this. I wanted this.

His fingers pressed into my hips as he lifted me off the bed.

I closed my eyes, feeling both unnerved and embarrassed by his deep gaze as he hefted my hips for his entry.

With a guttural groan, so deep from his chest I felt the vibration on my nipples, Henry slid into me remarkably slowly. As his bulbous tip nudged at my tight opening, I tensed and sucked in a breath, anticipating excruciating pain. It had been a very, very long time, because it hurt at first, his girth was something I had to get used to. But thank god, it didn't hurt as bad as my first time. My nails dug into his arms, which strained in response to the pain I was sure I was causing him, as I adjusted to the encompassing feeling of him filling my insides.

Henry hissed, his fingers pressing into me almost painfully as he held on firmly and pushed himself further into me. I grit my teeth at the surprising pain that spread through me as he slid in further despite my well lubricated walls. I expelled a sound breath as he went even further, biting my lip.

His eyes were closed in bliss, like he was in pure heaven. His lips parted as he panted sharp breaths through them. I felt so special, surprised that I could make another human being feel so heavenly.

"Holy...shit…" he breathed in wonder, blinking his eyes open as he looked down at where our bodies connected. He really was amazed. I was amazed that he was amazed. Hell I was turned on when I saw our bodies together. I'd never been given the opportunity to see it before because the person I was with didn't fucking care.

"Val…so tight…" He could barely finish his sentence then looked up at me, his eyes wild with surprise.

"Are you a virgin?"

I shrunk under the gaze and shook my head, mouthing, "No." I couldn't find my voice. I was still reeling over how amazed and shocked he appeared, unable to believe I was the reason.

"Fuck…you're so tight..." He took a few collective breaths and blinked out of the stupor he was in before zeroing in on me again. His expression grew apologetic. He kissed my forehead before lifting on his elbows, asking, "Are you okay?"

I nodded jerkily and Henry took a few moments to collect himself.

He pressed his forehead against mine and said, "Hold on to me."

Then he began to roll into me carefully. The pleasurable and painful sensations were so strong that I couldn't help moaning and arching into me as my body was possessed by these feelings. I gnawed at my lip to swallow the whimper that nearly shot out of me. I couldn’t stop the tears from stinging my eyes.

I remember my first time. It hurt like a bitch. It hurt so bad because George was not careful, neither was he gentle with me. He was just trying to get it over with it seemed.

Even as good as Henry was making me feel, because my mental state was very restless, I couldn’t fully enjoy what we were doing and began to panic. My entire body began to tense. I hated myself for it, but I wheezed as I tried to get away from Henry.

He paused and stilled me, his eyes wide with concern.

“Am I hurting you?” while his voice was rough with desire it was also brimming over with regret.

My chest rose and fell as I tried to catch my breath, looking up at Henry with wet eyes. God, I’d cried twice in one night. The last thing I wanted was for him to think that he was hurting me. I shook my head and as I closed my eyes, I remembered all the therapy I’d received.

He was not George.

More tears eked out in frustration over how badly I allowed George to affect me. Since I hadn’t had any relationship contact since George, I didn’t realize just how bad off I was with the opposite sex.

I felt warmth over my cheek as his lips lightly whisked by me.

“It’s okay. I’ll take care of you.”

His words made me hiccup a sob. George said something along those lines too. But what also made me cry was he didn't villanize me for being difficult like he had the right to do.

“I’m s-so sorry. I’m not normal…” I regretted apologizing. I think I said this before too when we first got intimate at my condo. Damn. I was ruining the moment. I had to stop this. I really had to stop this. I knew it was annoying. Time wasting. Unnecessary. I knew it. Knowing it didn't mean it was easy to stop though. This had to be exhausting for him. I didn't want to be the woman that always needed reassurance, but he was managing to unearth so many unsolved things I'd buried. He just had this special key to a cage with a hidden lock--I couldn't even find it. But he did. It seemed that only he could find it. That made me a bit uncomfortable that someone else was so aware of me even more than myself.

The fact that so far he didn't seem tired of me, the fact that he was so patient showed me that he understood. He wordlessly understood. I didn't have to explicitly explain myself like I did with most people.

That shook me to my soul that he could understand me without me having to say one word.

I had never felt so vulnerable. I was shaking just a little because I was breaking down right there underneath him, with him still inside of me. The feeling of him filling me was so great but my burdens were even greater. I wanted to get away from him when his words stilled me.

“Shh…you’re perfect Val. Just perfect. Look at how perfect you are for me.”

When I went still, it grew quiet. And I heard those waves again, crashing onto the shore.

Henry had raised his upper body and I peered down at us again, getting even more turned on than earlier because I was a bit more relaxed. Slowly I began to breath and I closed my eyes and tried to free my mind. I could hear our breaths and the waves. Something in his words made me let that very binding part of me go.

"I will take care of you. Relax. Relax for me…" he whispered through labored breaths.

I shivered at the words, but it was like that shiver prayed a calm in me that forced me to breath easy.

When I finally relaxed and stopped tensing, I could concentrate more on the feeling of him within me. The pain and discomfort began to ebb out of me, and the feeling of him inside of me that had been fighting so hard to take control, became very welcome once I eased my mind. My rigid fingers clawing at his arms had relaxed and I shyly wound them around his neck. I realized then that I used to either grab at George's arms or the sheet beneath me to bear through the impending pain. With my arms around Henry's neck, this felt even more intimate and was more inviting for him. The worry in his eyes disintegrated and he kisses me gently, adding even more to my relaxation. He had to be a magician. Not many could do this for me.

Now that we were in the calm of after the storm, Henry began to move within me. I was used to being hammered into, so this was a surprise for me. A surprise I welcomed because it felt so fucking got damned good.

His slow precision was forcing me to feel every single inch of him, forcing every nerve of mine to experience him. It was forcing me to discover places of myself I didn't know could make me scream out.

My unrehearsed screams also came as a shock. I was so used to faking it, so used to trying to morph my grunts of pain into what I imagined ecstasy should sound like that this was throwing me for such a loop.

So this is my real voice when pleasure took control of every cell of my body.

Subconciously, I was probably still holding back, because Henry sighed against my lips, his lips ghosting against mine.

"Let it out," he briefly bit my bottom lip and added in a rough, dark, hoarse whisper. "I want to hear that beautiful voice scream."

This was followed by deeper thrusts as he lifted my hips higher towards him and picked up the pace. A loud moaned escaped my arched throat a sound that didn't seem to belong to my own body. I clung to him while he set me to newer heights of pleasure I once thought unattainable.

"Yesss…take me. Take all of me..." Henry hissed against the bottom lip of my gaping mouth. He'd tug my hips closer to him every time he ground into me, then release the pressure of his fingers as he slid out right to my entry before holding on tight, lifting me, and thrusting into me again.

I locked my restless feet around him unashamedly. I had never been able to do such a thing before.

I didn't want him to stop, but my limbs were under siege buzzing with pleasure as he unlocked my legs from his waist. He placed them on his shoulders, sliding back into me before I could make some kind of protest. I'd have felt stupid for protesting because I screamed out when he slid back into me, deeper than before. More pleasure.

"Oh god…" I panted at the sheer surprise this new angle brought. Henry smirked as he watched me drown in ecstasyas he thrust again to the hilt and enjoyed his new home there, rolling his hips to stir his member in me for a few moments. Fuck. I felt him moving within me deep. It felt too fucking good when he did this.  Mind blowing.

I gnawed my lip biting a moan as I flung my head to one side. I gripped his shoulders to try and hold on to something.

He began to thrust into me again, his pace quicker than before. For now I couldn't try to meet his thrusts or anything. All I could do was lay there and take it because it was so new to me. It hurt just a little, the short, hard thrusts, but that's strangely what made it so pleasurable. There was this feeling of being taken control over, being handled, that I illicitly liked. I couldn't explain it.

I wanted more  but yet I would have been content with what he kept on doing. Before I knew it I was speaking in tongues.

"Yess…Henry…Oh….Yes…."

Henry's groans became more guttural. More uncontrolled. More animalistic. And I fucking loved it. It was like he couldn't get enough.

And I'd soon find out. Suddenly Henry stopped and he knelt in between my legs. My eyes opened in confusion and distress that he'd stopped the pleasure. 

"More, baby. Give me more," he rasped demandingly.

At first I didn't know what he meant and became embarrassed about my limited knowledge in the ways of pleasing a man. Then Henry showed me what he meant by holding under my knees and spreading my thighs far apart, having me as open as ever for him.

His eyes flickered with desire as he stared at my wetness and he hungrily bit his bottom lip. He quickly plunged his entire length back into me, the sudden invasion amazing me.

And a delicious invasion it was.

"Oooh…" An elongated moan escaped me as my back arched sharply at the feeling of him hitting a newer, deeper spot. I lost control immediately.

We were both frenzied and mad in this world we were lost in. Our world.

His thrusts now were headboard-banging powerful. At first I placed my hand at his lower abdomen, I think my nails must have grazed his skin as I couldn't handle the new position initially. The pleasure was too paralyzing, too blinding, I wanted him to slow down.

Henry gritted his teeth in what seemed like pain after I unintentionally scratched him, but excitement lit up his eyes.

"C'mere," he murmured and roughly grabbed my wrist from his abs, the other from his arm and pinned them hard on either side of head.

His thrusts were powerful and unrelenting, making me scream out again as he buried himself to the hilt each time he thrust. I didn't know him pining me down that way would turn me on so much.

"Oh Henry! Oh god…more…ah…" something made me lift my legs, wanting more. Needing more. He knew exactly what to do to make me yearn for me.

"So good Valerie…so fucking good…fuck…" Henry hissed and by then I'd acclimated to the pace. When I submitted to him, Henry let go of my hands and held my legs, right underneath my knees again. He yanked me closer and the plunging commenced. My hands were flat on his chest as he bore into me. I liked that our bodies were smacking against each other with primal need. There was a point where that was all I could hear coupled with some large waves that had crashed to shore.

I liked that he was taking charge of what he wanted--me. And in those brief moments I liked being possessed in such a way. I like that he didn't let me stop this pleasure. Oh god, what was happening to me? I liked being controlled underneath him like this.

What the fuck…I was taught never to let anyone control me….

I liked being filled so fully and possessively for that particular moment. George didn't even cross my mind.

My entire body shook with each impact of his thrusts and I was moaning and groaning loudly, probably said some incoherent words here and there. Honestly, I don't fucking know.

"Fuck, you're so tight…so wet…fucking perfect...Valerie…"I barely heard Henry over the headboard hitting the wall. He thrust really hard and my hand on his chest clawed. Henry grunted. Still holding under my knees, he pushed my thighs far back till they rested on my breasts and lowered to kiss me while thrusting even deeper and holding it.

I was whimpering now at the pleasure as my legs flailed over his strong, flexing back as the steady thrusts began again. I felt crazed and bedeviled and lost it when he wedged his hand in between our sweaty bodies to rub my clit with his thumb. Fuck whenever he did this I just lost.

"No no no. Henry please!" I tried to get away because of the predominant pleasure that often came when he did that. Now I loved losing control but too much of it was just that, too much.

"Yes," Henry growled, holding me still. "You will come."

I bit my lip as the overpowering shards of pleasure pierced through me. It was so good it hurt.

"Come baby," Henry coached. "Let me watch you come on me…"

While Henry thrust short jerky thrusts into me and rubbing my clit, I began to feel the build up begin in my toes.

"Oh god…please.." I knew it was going to be a strong one. I just knew it. I didn't know if I could handle it.  It kept building up as he kept on thrusting and rubbing me.

Then suddenly he stopped the hard thrusts to grind slowly into me while still pleasuring my clit with my thumb.

And his head dipped with his lips next to my ear.

"I want you to come hard, Val. While I fuck you. Take you."

And the orgasm hit.

Mercilessly.

Who knew words could be so strong? The fact that this nice jolly guy had just said something so dirty and hot to me while rubbing one of my most sensitive spots all the while being inside of me...how could I not come.

I exploded, my walls spastic around him. I was quivering all over. All my limbs were subjugated by the pleasure of the orgasm. I saw stars, the whole nine. Above me Henry moaned my name as I came hot and heavy all over him.

I had never come over another man before.

This sent him over the edge because he held my hips tightly, almost abrasively and thrust hard into me a couple of times.

"Henry!" I called out to him, feeling his explosion before it came and Henry wound his arms around my waist extremely tight. Him so close to me I could feel his chest, arm, thigh, and leg muscles tense. His teeth trapped some skin on my neck and he bit as he silently came. I moaned at the sting on my neck and clung onto him. When he finally expelled his withheld breath, he grunted deeply and collapsed heavily on top of me.

He panted heavily into my hair and some of his curls tickled my cheek once he'd spent all his release into the condom, his arms still coiled protectively around my waist. I lay there replete from all that had happened, so much that I couldn't move a muscle. Was this real life?

When Henry began to move off of me and pull out of me, I made a protesting sound and tried to wrap my legs and arms around him. While I had expected him to leave me after the fact like George had began to do, I hadn't expected my instant response to latch onto him. I didn't want him to ever leave this bed. As of now, I never wanted either of us to leave this room.

"Shh. It's okay, I'm here," he told me with soft kisses. He slid out of me with a light moan and kept his arms around me as his entire body now cupped mine from behind.

My entire body was singing as I drifted to sleep, enjoying the feel of Henry's rapid heartbeat slowing to a steady pace against my back as he buried the lower half of his face on my neck. I loved the feel of his lashes tickling my shoulder as he laid to sleep.

I had never really fit in much growing up, but never in my life had I felt so much like I belonged as I did that moment in Henry's arms.

My guard had completely broken down that night for the second time in my life. And just as that pestering panic that always seemed to follow everywhere my hope, happiness, freedom, and confidence went, the waves sounded again. Louder and clearer now that my world was no longer so involved in Henry.

The waves saved me from that darkness that followed me in my shadow and these waves reminded me that the arms I was in were Henry's not George's. Those waves reminded me that this was here and now.

Not the past.

They even made me think that, I possibly had a different future than the one I'd imagined for so long.

I would never forget the sound of the waves from that night.

Chapter 16 PREVIEW by notheruniverse
Author's Notes:


This is just a preview of the chapter to show I'm still working on it. I am also considering self-publishing this work in the near future. I don't now if it is publishable material though.


***
http://25.media.tumblr.com/20f3bad294ca513332587d0ab2722c80/tumblr_mtahvuoHHK1s8mrifo1_500.jpg


Chapter 16

I was an early riser. It was a habit I picked growing up, waking early to study before sunrise. I'd been waking up recently to study game coding books.

Normally, I was the first one up wherever I was, which was why it surprised me when I didn't find Henry in bed with me. As tired as he'd made me, my sleep wasn't completely sound. I'd woken up constantly throughout the night. I was restless, but each time when I woke up and found that his arms were still wrapped around me, his legs still tangled with mine, I felt a level of consistency that I wasn't particularly used to and would fall back to sleep.

George never liked to cuddle. I'd always known the reason but wouldn't fully acknowledge why. He'd 'tried' the first few nights, then like in most relationships, he got comfortable and stopped caring. If I knew what a pain it had been for him to cuddle with me, I would have rather he never even bothered.

I sighed, annoyed with myself for allowing George to occupy my thoughts first thing in the morning. I just knew had he not been the only most heartbreaking relationship I'd ever had, I wouldn't be comparing the only other close male interaction I'd ever had to him.

When I tried to sit up, I winced at the surprising twinge in my gut. Oh god. How deep had he gone? A violent blush bloomed on my face as I held my stomach. I tried to stay focused because thinking about him was turning me on again. I sat up and surveyed his room one more time. It was still neat save our articles of clothing strewn across the floor. Thoughts of George were pushed out of my mind as Henry's shirt brought so many memories. I was filled with an inexplicable feeling that made my shoulders hike up as I smiled. I rounded my knees up and hugged them, trying to contain this feeling I couldn't understand--the sight of a t-shirt had never made me so overwhelmingly happy.

Plopping back on the mattress, I retraced everything that happened last night. The words that reigned most in mind were 'I'll take care of you', sending a distinct feeling racing through me. Once again, instead of bringing me unmitigated joy, I was left feeling conflicted. I wanted to believe those words, but this was just a one night stand, right? There were no strings. How could you take care of someone you weren't attached to?

To be fair, we were in the heat of the moment. People said crazy things when they were lost in the throes.

Not wanting to overstay my visit or allow myself to fall for him--I don't know why at that point, I was still telling myself that I hadn't--I dragged myself out of bed, surprised by how sore I was. Jesus. The mild pain brought so many vivid memories I helplessly blushed again.

I started putting my clothes on. Honestly my heart was not in it. I didn't want to leave. As cold and as emotionless as this house could be, I didn't want to leave because it had Henry written all over it. But my mind just wouldn't let me stay. I felt uncomfortable and unsure now that it was no longer dark. I looked down at my body and ignored the feeling of shame that tried to edge its way in. I wouldn't allow it.

Something made me look out at the oceanic view upon the wide windows. The tide was no longer high, the soft waves were still ever so ethereal and beautiful with the most wonderful shade of greenish blue. It was the brightest day with a greyed sky. The weather just seemed so 'Henry'-like, inviting yet still mysterious enough to keep me wanting more. I wanted to spend the day with him but…

Sighing heavily, as I bent to pick up my skirt, I noticed the glass-like digital clock by the nightstand for the first time and nearly screamed. It was a quarter to 11. I couldn't remember the last time I'd woken up this late. I hastily pulled my skirt up to my waist, not even bothering to tuck in my shirt. Snatching my purse from the floor, I grabbed my shoes and hurried out of the room.

As I came down the stairs, holding the glass railing, I could hear Henry moving around while talking, and wondered for a second if someone was around. The person he was speaking to was obviously female. The voice sounded muffled with static, letting me know he was on a phone call with the speaker on. As I descend the steps, it wasn't long before a heavenly aroma struck my nose and made my stomach growl. My mouth watered. Whatever he was cooking, I wanted it. I couldn't stay and eat though, wouldn't that mean something? Then I abruptly remembered that he was the one who dropped me off.

Muttering a curse, I set my shoes on the step, sat on the step, and dug my phone out of my purse. I was trying to mind my own business but the voice from the kitchen piqued my interest too much. When Henry spoke, one just wanted to listen. I was temporarily disrupted from Googling taxi cabs on my phone to listen.

"So you spoke to Mom, yeah?" Henry asked. My toes curled at the rough voice and I blushed, my heart rate quickening as I remembered him swearing to me that I was going to come as he touched me intimately. Oh my god I couldn't do anything without remembering something he did or said. This 'Henry Walker Effect' was going to be a grueling, long one.

"Yes. In Paris. Enjoying her birthday," The female responded.

I was shocked. Is that why he had the number '4' tattooed on him? Today was the 4th. Must've been her birthday. His devotion for his mother was very clear and endearing.

"As she should," Henry murmured.

"You know you're kind of mad about it," the voice teased.

"Not mad just, eh.Wish she were here."

"To meet your new bird?"

I sat there confused, wondering what the hell a bird was. I didn't think Henry had a pet bird and I sure as hell hoped that wasn't in reference to some of his, well, 'birds'.

"She is not my bird…" Henry said, slightly defensive. Damn right he better defend me, if that's who he was referring to.

"You were talking about her an awful lot earlier. What's her name again? Val-Heroine?" The caller went into fits of laughter as I sat there glowering at whoever she was. I guessed that was his sister but I didn't know. How did that Val-Heroine moniker spread so fast among his friends. Ben must have had a pretty big mouth.

"Will you guys let go of that? Her name is Valerie and she's a really nice girl."

I couldn't help grinning.

"Henry, you say everyone is nice. That's just you. Always trying to find the good in people."

"No. Trust me. She is different. She's not the type of girl I normally date."

My heart started racing. Date. Were we dating? Oh god. I don't know. What made him say that? Why was it suddenly so terrifying for me to be dating someone? Well, he didn't say we were dating, so...

"She's not a model, for one."

Because of my rash insecurities, my initial, most natural reaction was to feel offended. Yeah, I was no model, but I had to get a hold of myself.

No thinking the worst, I remembered from therapy. Maybe he literally meant I was not a model. I hadn't checked into Henry's history much with remarkable self control, but judging by his last girlfriend, maybe he did have a knack to date models and the caller's next comment alluded to it.

"I have to see this to believe it."

"I'm not that bad," Henry said laughingly, the sound of a sizzling pan loudening.

"Henry, it's known that you and Ben are notorious for only dating models. You date nothing else but."

"That's all I'm surrounded by," he lamely defended and the laughing tone in his voice revealed that even he knew that was a stretch.

"Right. So how did you meet her?"

"Through Peter. She's a software developer."

The pride in his voice was unexpected and made me feel warm inside. It actually made me feel some pride too.

"Uh, how the hell did you manage that?"

"I haven't managed anything really. We're still getting to know each other. I don't know where it's going. Shit!!"

"What?"

"Oh nothing. I nearly burnt the chicken. I really hope she likes these."

The sound of hope in his voice made me smile and I felt guilty that I was so ready to leave. I thought that's how the rules went? If there were no strings attached and if I didn't want him to think that I wanted anything, I was supposed to leave, right?

But he was cooking for me. I tried not to think of the fact that George had done the same thing after our first night. Then once he'd 'trapped' me, it had all changed... Fuck George. It was July 4th weekend and I was in the vicinity of a man that I was attracted to in every sense of the word. I don't care how irresponsible this was. Hell, it wasn't even irresponsible. We were not making any rash decisions or promises to each other.

I was going to enjoy this weekend. I was going to have Henry Walker as long as he'd let me have him.

"Save some for me too, will yah?" the caller pleaded.

"Of course. 50,000 pounds for one taco."

She groaned in vexation. "Always a bother. Ah well." She suddenly started speaking hurriedly. "I got to go. Check in time. See you in a bit."

"Don't forget to call a cab alright?" Henry asked haltingly and the caller burst out laughing.

"I can't believe this! Mom is going to love this! This is the first time you've actually let one of your many whores come before me. She must have super powers. I have to meet her."

"You will soon. I think you'll like her. And she is not a whore…" I could hear the smile in his voice.

"I'll be the judge of that. You say that all the time and that's never the case. Okay they're hurrying me. Love you, bye!"

The call got disconnected and I sat there staring ahead of me, my heart still pounding loud at my ears. What  followed next was Louis Armstrong's What a Wonderful World lightly playing. Soon Henry was singing along, his voice contrasting with Mr. Armstrong's strong voice, a gentle smooth sound that made me smile instantly. It shouldn't have been a surprise that Henry had a beautiful voice but it was.

The house no longer felt untouched. I felt very at home and the sound of Henry's voice was very comforting. Without another thought, I stashed my phone back in my purse and picked up my shoes. I went back up the steps to the room and shed my clothes. Spontaneously, I picked up his shirt and wore it. It fit me snugly, as opposed to how it hang off of Henry, and I was reminded of my weight, but as I regarded my reflection in the mirror, I like how I looked in it.

Pulling it down my hips  more, I shyly went back down the stairs, no longer feeling as anxious. A rock song was now playing and I peeked over the wall to sneak looks at Henry. He turned around once to pick up some peppers he'd cut on a cutting board. The movement was so sudden he caught me off guard and saw me. I'm not sure what made me hide back behind the wall. My heart was racing a hundred miles a minute. Why was I so nervous? Like I hadn't already bore myself to him the last night.

"Valerie?"

I jumped and pressed my back against the wall, as if trying to merge with it so that I could hide from him.



TBC.

End Notes:

I will post the full chapter in a few days. Please give me your honest feedback on publishing.

Chapter 16 FULL by notheruniverse



I was an early riser. It was a habit I picked growing up, waking early to study before sunrise. I'd been waking up recently to study game coding books.

Normally, I was the first one up wherever I was, which was why it surprised me when I didn't find Henry in bed with me. As tired as he'd made me, my sleep wasn't completely sound. I'd woken up constantly throughout the night. I was restless, but each time when I woke up and found that his arms were still wrapped around me, his legs still tangled with mine, I felt a level of consistency that I wasn't particularly used to and would fall back to sleep.

George never liked to cuddle. I'd always known the reason but wouldn't fully acknowledge why. He'd 'tried' the first few nights, then like in most relationships, he got comfortable and stopped caring. If I knew what a pain it had been for him to cuddle with me, I would have rather he never even bothered.

I sighed, annoyed with myself for allowing George to occupy my thoughts first thing in the morning. I just knew had he not been the only most heartbreaking relationship I'd ever had, I wouldn't be comparing the only other close male interaction I'd ever had to him.

When I tried to sit up, I winced at the surprising twinge in my gut. Oh god. How deep had he gone? A violent blush bloomed on my face as I held my stomach. I tried to stay focused because thinking about him was turning me on again. I sat up and surveyed his room one more time. It was still neat save our articles of clothing strewn across the floor. Thoughts of George were pushed out of my mind as Henry's shirt brought so many memories. I was filled with an inexplicable feeling that made my shoulders hike up as I smiled. I rounded my knees up and hugged them, trying to contain this feeling I couldn't understand--the sight of a t-shirt had never made me so overwhelmingly happy.

Plopping back on the mattress, I retraced everything that happened last night. The words that reigned most in mind were 'I'll take care of you', sending a distinct feeling racing through me. Once again, instead of bringing me unmitigated joy, I was left feeling conflicted. I wanted to believe those words, but this was just a one night stand, right? There were no strings. How could you take care of someone you weren't attached to?

To be fair, we were in the heat of the moment. People said crazy things when they were lost in the throes.

Not wanting to overstay my visit or allow myself to fall for him--I don't know why at that point, I was still telling myself that I hadn't--I dragged myself out of bed, surprised by how sore I was. Jesus. The mild pain brought so many vivid memories I helplessly blushed again.

I started putting my clothes on. Honestly my heart was not in it. I didn't want to leave. As cold and as emotionless as this house could be, I didn't want to leave because it had Henry written all over it. But my mind just wouldn't let me stay. I felt uncomfortable and unsure now that it was no longer dark. I looked down at my body and ignored the feeling of shame that tried to edge its way in. I wouldn't allow it.

Something made me look out at the oceanic view upon the wide windows. The tide was no longer high, the soft waves were still ever so ethereal and beautiful with the most wonderful shade of greenish blue. It was the brightest day with a greyed sky. The weather just seemed so 'Henry'-like, inviting yet still mysterious enough to keep me wanting more. I wanted to spend the day with him but…

Sighing heavily, as I bent to pick up my skirt, I noticed the glass-like digital clock by the nightstand for the first time and nearly screamed. It was a quarter to 11. I couldn't remember the last time I'd woken up this late. I hastily pulled my skirt up to my waist, not even bothering to tuck in my shirt. Snatching my purse from the floor, I grabbed my shoes and hurried out of the room.

As I came down the stairs, holding the glass railing, I could hear Henry moving around while talking, and wondered for a second if someone was around. The person he was speaking to was obviously female. The voice sounded muffled with static, letting me know he was on a phone call with the speaker on. As I descend the steps, it wasn't long before a heavenly aroma struck my nose and made my stomach growl. My mouth watered. Whatever he was cooking, I wanted it. I couldn't stay and eat though, wouldn't that mean something? Then I abruptly remembered that he was the one who dropped me off.

Muttering a curse, I set my shoes on the step, sat on the step, and dug my phone out of my purse. I was trying to mind my own business but the voice from the kitchen piqued my interest too much. When Henry spoke, one just wanted to listen. I was temporarily disrupted from Googling taxi cabs on my phone to listen.

"So you spoke to Mom, yeah?" Henry asked. My toes curled at the rough voice and I blushed, my heart rate quickening as I remembered him swearing to me that I was going to come as he touched me intimately. Oh my god I couldn't do anything without remembering something he did or said. This 'Henry Walker Effect' was going to be a grueling, long one.

"Yes. In Paris. Enjoying her birthday," The female responded.

I was shocked. Is that why he had the number '4' tattooed on him? Today was the 4th. Must've been her birthday. His devotion for his mother was very clear and endearing.

"As she should," Henry murmured.

"You know you're kind of mad about it," the voice teased.

"Not mad just, eh.Wish she were here."

"To meet your new bird?"

I sat there confused, wondering what the hell a bird was. I didn't think Henry had a pet bird and I sure as hell hoped that wasn't in reference to some of his, well, 'birds'.

"She is not my bird…" Henry said, slightly defensive. Damn right he better defend me, if that's who he was referring to.

"You were talking about her an awful lot earlier. What's her name again? Val-Heroine?" The caller went into fits of laughter as I sat there glowering at whoever she was. I guessed that was his sister but I didn't know. How did that Val-Heroine moniker spread so fast among his friends. Ben must have had a pretty big mouth.

"Will you guys let go of that? Her name is Valerie and she's a really nice girl."

I couldn't help grinning.

"Henry, you say everyone is nice. That's just you. Always trying to find the good in people."

"No. Trust me. She is different. She's not the type of girl I normally date."

My heart started racing. Date. Were we dating? Oh god. I don't know. What made him say that? Why was it suddenly so terrifying for me to be dating someone? Well, he didn't say we were dating, so...

"She's not a model, for one."

Because of my rash insecurities, my initial, most natural reaction was to feel offended. Yeah, I was no model, but I had to get a hold of myself.

No thinking the worst, I remembered from therapy. Maybe he literally meant I was not a model. I hadn't checked into Henry's history much with remarkable self control, but judging by his last girlfriend, maybe he did have a knack to date models and the caller's next comment alluded to it.

"I have to see this to believe it."

"I'm not that bad," Henry said laughingly, the sound of a sizzling pan loudening.

"Henry, it's known that you and Ben are notorious for only dating models. You date nothing else but."

"That's all I'm surrounded by," he lamely defended and the laughing tone in his voice revealed that even he knew that was a stretch.

"Right. So how did you meet her?"

"Through Peter. She's a software developer."

The pride in his voice was unexpected and made me feel warm inside. It actually made me feel some pride too.

"Uh, how the hell did you manage that?"

"I haven't managed anything really. We're still getting to know each other. I don't know where it's going. Shit!!"

"What?"

"Oh nothing. I nearly burnt the chicken. I really hope she likes these."

The sound of hope in his voice made me smile and I felt guilty that I was so ready to leave. I thought that's how the rules went? If there were no strings attached and if I didn't want him to think that I wanted anything, I was supposed to leave, right?

But he was cooking for me. I tried not to think of the fact that George had done the same thing after our first night. Then once he'd 'trapped' me, it had all changed... Fuck George. It was July 4th weekend and I was in the vicinity of a man that I was attracted to in every sense of the word. I don't care how irresponsible this was. Hell, it wasn't even irresponsible. We were not making any rash decisions or promises to each other.

I was going to enjoy this weekend. I was going to have Henry Walker as long as he'd let me have him.

"Save some for me too, will yah?" the caller pleaded.

"Of course. 50,000 pounds for one taco."

She groaned in vexation. "Always a bother. Ah well." She suddenly started speaking hurriedly. "I got to go. Check in time. See you in a bit."

"Don't forget to call a cab alright?" Henry asked haltingly and the caller burst out laughing.

"I can't believe this! Mom is going to love this! This is the first time you've actually let one of your many whores come before me. She must have super powers. I have to meet her."

"You will soon. I think you'll like her. And she is not a whore…" I could hear the smile in his voice.

"I'll be the judge of that. You say that all the time and that's never the case. Okay they're hurrying me. Love you, bye!"

The call got disconnected and I sat there staring ahead of me, my heart still pounding loud at my ears. What  followed next was Louis Armstrong's What a Wonderful World lightly playing. Soon Henry was singing along, his voice contrasting with Mr. Armstrong's strong voice, a gentle smooth sound that made me smile instantly. It shouldn't have been a surprise that Henry had a beautiful voice but it was.

The house no longer felt untouched. I felt very at home and the sound of Henry's voice was very comforting. Without another thought, I stashed my phone back in my purse and picked up my shoes. I went back up the steps to the room and shed my clothes. Spontaneously, I picked up his shirt and wore it. It fit me snugly, as opposed to how it hang off of Henry, and I was reminded of my weight, but as I regarded my reflection in the mirror, I like how I looked in it.

Pulling it down my hips more, I shyly went back down the stairs, no longer feeling as anxious. But it seemed that the more I descended the wooden steps, the more the nervousness seemed to rise back up. A rock song was now playing and I peeked over the wall to sneak looks at Henry.

From my vantage I could see faint, red marks on his back. My face grew warm, thinking that I had been the one who made those marks. A sliver of pride raced through me, as though I'd marked my claim.

He turned around once to pick up some peppers he'd cut on a cutting board. The movement was so abrupt he caught me off guard and saw me. I'm not sure what made me hide back behind the wall. My heart was racing a hundred miles a minute. Why was I so nervous? Like I hadn't already bore myself to him last night.

"Valerie?"

I pressed my back against the wall, as if trying to merge with it so that I could hide from him.

"I spy with my little eye…a beautiful girl wearing my shirt," he teased behind the wall.

I was smiling so hard my cheeks hurt I had to hold them.

When Henry came around the wall and revealed himself, I tensed up and held my breath. He looked better than I remembered and so suddenly my body was throbbing with need and want.

His dark brown hair was messy over his forehead. His jade eyes lit up with appreciation as he ran his eyes down my frame slowly. He licked his bottom lip and bit it when he got to my thighs, which caused me to further try to conceal them by pulling the shirt further and further down.

"Good afternoon, love," he murmured as he snaked his hand around my waist and surprised me when he quickly yanked me closer to him, the sudden movement making my body slap into his. I pulled my shirt up over my mouth and buried my face in his chest when he tried to kiss me. I felt his chuckle on his chest.

"What?" he muttered into my hair before his lips dropped to my ear and he asked silkily. "What's wrong?"

I squirmed, getting turned on by his voice so easily. My legs shifted restlessly with a sudden need to part. I wanted that voice there where he had first pleasured me.

"No…nothing. I just…I need a tooth brush," I said lamely and awkwardly. This whole morning after thing always made me feel weird. With Gregory I remember after our first night I had felt so grand and beautiful and was walking around freely naked the next morning with him praising my body as 'flawed' as it apparently was based on societal standards.

Then gradually I began to feel an inexplicable form of shame because the way George handled my body was so brutal and forced that I couldn't help but feel shamed by it as time went on because of the pain and bruises I'd endure. But…I saw that as love and accepted it as love. It was a very confusing relationship. Why was I thinking about it now? Why did I suddenly want to race from the strong arm that wrapped around me…

Henry pressed a kiss on my ear before pulling back and grabbing my hand, all the while I avoided eye contact. From the side of my eyes I could see him smirking at me. I followed him timidly, suddenly feeling so powerless and foolish and utter skittish. But when I rubbed my thumb  against the back of his fingers, I felt a subtle sense of reassurance.

This made Henry look down at me, his eyes full of life and excitement. I couldn't look at him too long. I'm not sure what was going on with me.

"How are you this morning?" Henry asked with a lopsided smile as he yanked me forward and held me in front of him with his arms protectively wrapped around my waist.

"I'm fine thank you," I said quietly, nervously placing my hands on top of his wrists. My initial intention was to push his hands away from me because of how shameful and confused and ugly I felt. But I just found my hands, though shaky, exploring and admiring the network of veins that ran along his inked arms, getting turned on in the process. Henry didn't help when he pressed kisses on my neck and when he smoothed his hand up my inner thigh then to lift the hem of my shirt. Shying away from his kisses, I slapped his hand from trying to lift the shirt, feeling his chuckles on my back and he nuzzled my neck.

I'll never forget this seemingly insignificant moment as we bypassed the large window on the first floor. I heard the waves in the distance for a second, then looked out the window to see them.

It was such a nice peaceful day, yet I felt confused and riotous inside. My inner demons seemed to be at war with themselves.

I didn't have much time to ruminate because we got to his room quick. I remembered it from when he showed me around last night. It had a navy blue schema that I loved. He let go of me, advanced further into the room to a large open luggage on the floor and soon began marauding through it.

With his warmth away from me I leaned against the wall with my hands clasped behind me. I watched him for a while, admiring the agility of his movements. He was so fit. Really, he had a body that he took well care of and deserved someone who mirrored that image. What did he see in me. How could he look at my body and not gag. His last girlfriends were models for fuck sakes.

How could he look at me with such desire. I'd lost weight but I was by no means skinny. I still had love handles and a small pouch on my stomach. My upper arms were still a bit round and jiggled when I waved. I had cellulite and saggy breasts. My skin was blemished by freckles I could never get rid of. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't stop these poisonous thoughts. It was bad and annoying I knew but I couldn't stop it.

I closed my eyes, wondering where all these 'morning after' demons had come from. Fuck these 'first world' problems. I had a wonderful guy making me feel like the world and I was taking it for granted by allowing past insecurities to invade me. And then I began to wonder why I even needed a man making me feel amazing in order to actually feel amazing. What did that say about me as a woman? Why the fuck was I over thinking things instead of letting this morning happen naturally and blissfully?

Because I was a real woman with real fucking issues. That's why.

My thoughts must have been running a mile a minute because they made time pass by so fast that Henry seemed to have returned in a matter of a second, holding a small navy blue travel bag.

"Haven't used it," he said as he handed it to me.

I took it from him and evaded his grasp when he tried to get a hold of me, making him laugh. When I made it into the bathroom I closed the door behind me.

Just as I was about to start brushing my teeth with the small travel tooth brush, I saw my reflection in the mirror. My neck had love marks all over it all the way down to my chest. I touched the base of my neck, the spot he knew drove me crazy and flittered my eyes nervously away from my reflection. I couldn't even look at myself long enough because I could now see what he saw last night and instead of feeling as beautiful as he'd made me feel, I felt embarrassed for him.

Fuck. Negative Nancy was working over time this morning.

As I freshened up, I tried not to acknowledge how upset I was feeling about my body now after seeing it in broad daylight. What was wrong with me, I was annoying my damn self. I decided once I got out of the bathroom I would ask if he had any sweatpants I could try and squeeze into. I can't believe I'd shown my legs so boldly the night before. The very legs that had wrapped around him as he fucked me senseless. I blushed at the memory.

There was a battle of wills going on in my mind. One wanted to enjoy this moment but the other wouldn't let me.

I wandered out of the bathroom expecting to be alone while he finished cooking. Henry was seated at the edge of the bed, his torso forward with his elbows on his knees and his hands clasped together. He was waiting for me and he looked so hot doing so.

My heart jumped and I took a step back into the bathroom upon reflex, the feeling of not wanting him to see my body ten times stronger for some reason. I stood in the bathroom, hiding my legs so that only my face could be seen. I was so shameful. So pitiful.

"Hi," I greeted shakily.

Henry eyed me confusedly, slowing his movements, then a grin just as slow began to form on his lips.

"Valerie?" he took another step closer and I stupidly closed the bathroom door, like a timid child. You'd think I hadn't just turned 27 a month ago.

"I'm sorry Henry. I wasn't done using the bathroom. I'll be down for breakfast in a second," I rushed out and closed my eyes regretfully as I lay my head against the wall. Tears began to form behind my eyes because I was acting so strange and so embarrassed by my behavior.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Henry finally asked after moments of silence. I could hear that he was closer now, standing on the other side of the door. He tried to open it but I'd locked the door like the fool I was behaving like.

"I'm fine thank you! I just need to finish freshening up. And could you please find me some sweatpants if you have any? I'm really cold."

I heard him drumming on the door, my shoulders sagging as I knew I'd already ruined any future coupling for the two of us by my immature behavior. That's what not having experience with the opposite sex does to a person. I was so humiliated I could cry.

"Okay, I'll be downstairs if you need me," he said with a sigh and there was no denying the disappointment in his voice. I sighed in frustration and lingered in the bathroom, wondering why I was allowing such negative feelings to invade what was meant to be a nice day.

Minutes later I peeked out of the bathroom and was sadly relieved when I didn't see Henry. Still clinging my shirt as far down my hips as it could go, I timidly went downstairs with a very watchful eye. It was extremely quiet

"Sorry. I couldn't find any other sweatpants."

I jumped when I saw him there and hid behind the pool table upon reflex.

"Oh. It's really cold," I said, hoping he'd hear the plea in my words. With his hands in his pockets, Henry simply cocked his head to one side as he regarded me. When he started walking towards me, I started moving away from him. This brought a predatory smile to Henry's lips.

"Are you hiding from me?"

I lowered my eyes shamefully and tinkered with the hem of his shirt.

"You know I saw everything last night…"

I felt even more exposed hearing him say those words than I did last night when I was naked beneath him.

"It was dark." I grappled for some kind of safety. Him confirming my worst fear wasn't helping. This was a clear case of how not accepting myself would never make someone accepting me the solution.

"I saw everything. Every beautiful thing. From the way your skin flushes when I kiss your neck to the bath mark on your inner thigh."

I didn't know what to do with myself when he said that. I wasn't looking at him but could feel him staring at me. Then I saw him backing away behind that wall that separated the kitchen and the dining room and felt conflicted once again. I heard him tinkering with some pots and pans and knew he was still finishing cooking. I was looking down at the dining table, knowing I was being so stubborn and annoying, deciding maybe it would be better for me to leave instead of making things awkward, when I was suddenly pulled from behind until my back was against a warm, solid body. My heart jumped.

"You can't hide from me forever, you know?" Henry's words came hotly against my ear, followed by his teeth grazing the outer shell of my ear.

As I stood there still reeling from his words, Henry spun me around and before I could protest, his lips met with mine.

And just like that…just like that, I was gone. This was why I was partly trying to stay away, because it was so hard to actually stay away.

"Henry…" I moaned into his mouth as his tongue explored mine in the dexterous way that made me weak. I was clinging onto him to stand upright. We stumbled back until I was leaning against a table as his hands lifted my shirt, sliding up my derriere and squeezing. I moaned, both at the feeling of him touching me and me rubbing on his chest. It's amazing how quickly he turned me on. I wanted him so badly I was burning all over.

"Are you ready for more?" He whispered when he parted from me in a sound kiss. I gnawed at my lip as I began to throb in between my thighs, my face feeling warm as I remembered how amazing he made me feel last night. so amazing I thought I could die. I shook my head as I thought of losing control. I wasn't ready.

Smirking, Henry began to move away from me and I stamped my hands on his shoulders in urgency to stop him. I was nodding eagerly like an addict going through painful withdrawals that needed more. The triumphant grin on Henry's face and the twinkle in his eye made me feel shy. Those little fireworks exploding in me were like little remnants of last night and my body was burning with anticipation for that feeling of him in me again. My insides were aching with longing.

"How would you like me to take you now love…" Henry's voice dropped as he ran his lips hotly over the skin of my jawbone. "Fast." he flicked his tongue quickly over the sore spot on my neck, dropping his voice to a whisper. "Or slow." his tongue languorously snaked up my neck. My legs crumbled and I clung to him to keep from falling.

He was cruel. 

"Whatever you want," I said weakly. Almost stupidly. I couldn't believe how weak I sounded.

"No. You made me chase. You made the rules. You are the prize. You tell me how."

'I am the prize'.

I hated to be so narcissistic. When had life become about being praised for just…being? Since I met Henry Walker.

My legs lost their strength and quaked as the first signs of adrenaline began to flush within me. I think it's because I knew I was going to partake in this. I was excited that I could partake in this. I was excited to be a part of being desired, shamefully so, and I wondered why I had to be ashamed in the first place to be desired. There was no time to wonder too long. I remembered the exquisite feeling of him filling me the previous night and yearned for that feeling again. I was becoming a fiend for it. My toes curled just at the thought of him being in me again.

"H-Hard and rough…" I said, breathless with anticipation. Would it be as good as last night? What if it was a disappointment now? what the hell had I just asked for? I felt foolish some time after I said the words. 'Unattractive' girls like me were not allowed to want sexual exploration. We weren't even supposed to have the 'right' to want sex in any kind of way. That's what we were taught to believe by the world.

I had said the words now though and taking them back would make me a punk. But for a second I wanted to back down and make sure he knew I didn't believe I was deserving of requesting what kind of sex that I wanted. A fucked up individual, I was, I knew. Before I could speak, Henry's eyebrows lifted in amusement and genuine surprise.

"Hard and rough?" the beginnings of a smirk lifted his lips. "...Are you sure?"

I felt myself get wetter. "Hurry before I change my mind…"

"Wait just one second," Henry said and I tried to stop him.

"Protection," he explained and that silenced me. He disappeared down the hallway and I was so wired up, about to go and follow him when he returned. I basically leaped for him and started kissing him maddeningly before I allowed my insecurities to change my mind.

With his hands on my hips, Henry placed distance between us, stuffing his hands in his sweat pant pockets. His lit eyes burned into me and I could feel more moisture pulling at my center because of them.

"Sit on the table with your legs open for me."

Blushing, I timidly did as told, realizing it was the pool table behind me. I felt a bit silly parting my legs but did it anyway. Henry smirked and shook his head, almost rolling his eyes as he took a step forward.

"Wider baby. I want everything."

The way he said the words were so seductive, my legs turned to jelly. It was hard, but blushing deeply with my shoulders lifting coyly, I widened my legs for Henry's viewing pleasure.

"I love that you are such a good girl but you tend to get so naughty for me."

As I looked away from Henry, he neared me and placed his hands on my knees, pushing them further apart as he bit his bottom lip hungrily.

"Hmmm…seems like you're ready," he said smugly.

I held my breath when he touched me with the ball of his fingers.

"All that running when you were getting wet the entire time. Tsk. Tsk. What am I going to do with you?"

Henry asked the question as he quickly  slid two fingers through my my slick folds. I groaned, my legs parting even more as the sensational feeling swept through me. Henry moaned deeply as I coated him and naturally clenched my walls around him while he curled his fingers in a 'come hither' motion inside me. I.

"More Henry please," I begged shamelessly as I stood on my tip toes and moved up and down against his fingers needed him to fill me up again.

"You're so sexy…" Henry muttered from my needy movements, his words surprising me. As though unable to hold on any longer either, Henry pulled his two fingers out of me and held under my knees. He lifted them, making the balls of my feet rest on the edge of the pull table.

"Henry…" I began confusedly and alarmed. Normally I held things in when I didn't like it because I always strove so hard to get people to approve me of something but I couldn't let this pass me by. "I don't like this…" I admitted miserably.

This was too weird. I looked so barbaric and I wasn't that flexible. It made me really uncomfortable and I started to feel a heavy weight in my gut that this wouldn't be as good as last night and that we were leading down to stranger and stranger pastures. Oh god. This had to be 'the thing'. You know someone always had 'the thing' when everything else was seemingly perfect. Fuck.

Henry gave me a placating kiss.

"Trust me…" he said  in a deep voice, husky with want. When he saw how unbecoming I was of this position, he smirked lightly and kissed my chin. "You trust me?"

I contemplated it only for a second but finally nodded.

Henry let go of me for a brief moment to pull down his sweats until his member was freed. As weirded out as I was by this position, it was nice to see his proud, hard flesh again.

My mouth watered at the length, the girth, and the veins. He was beautiful.

Shoving his hands under me to grip my behind, Henry yanked me towards him as his dick disappeared into me in one swift thrust that I didn't see coming, one that made me scream out at the top of my lungs. My head flew back at the sudden impact. The sudden pain and the sudden fullness. But the pain soon felt delicious as pleasure permeated through my being and I threw my head back as the ecstasy possessed me. In this position it was a new experience and he was seated in me in deeply. I forgot about where my feet were or how silly I looked in that position.

Henry Walker knew what he was doing with me.

A moan escaped me at the feeling of being filled so suddenly to the hilt but there was no time to adjust. The way I was positioned gave me a deeper feeling of his dick deep inside of me and it exhilarated me to the point where I was shivering all over. I wanted to savor the feeling, but that was not what I had asked for.  

Henry proved that he was going to fulfill my wish and give me what I asked for by sliding sleekly out of me until his head rested at my entrance and then plunging all the way back in, in one go. I yelped in surprise and pleasure.
 
Before long Henry was pulling out of me again, this time all the way out and then invading my insides again fully and apologetically. I gasped at the sudden invasion, the slight twinge of pain that I was getting accustomed to, and actually feeling the bulge of his vein when he slid into me. I could feel everything, even the fine hairs that whorled his manhood against me when we were fully connected and it turned me on so much. But every time I felt these new discoveries of him, he was out of me all over again.

This second time around was feeling much better than last night, sending shivers all through me. It couldn't possibly get better and better each time, could it?

"Henry…" to the point I sighed his name shakily.

His pace of slamming hard into me and pulling out of me quickened to the point where I was a moaning mess. I was biting my lip and clawing at his shoulders, which had began to perspire as the rest of his hard skin. He felt so good.

I could do this with him all damn day.

Henry hissed as he started fucking me harder, the impact of our bodies making my body shake to the point where I was struggling to hold on to him. The balls of my feet no longer balanced me on the pool table for they were flailing off of the pool table. I had lost my balance, focused too much in the throes of passion.

This man made me feel so good. I nearly started crying from how good he was making me feel. I almost felt stupid from hiding from him this morning. Not almost. I felt stupid.

Even as roughly as he was handling me…I felt safe. I didn't feel like I was being degraded. I didn't feel like I was on the outside looking in. I felt like I was a part of this.

I didn't feel fearful or confused like I did with George…

Suddenly, Henry pushed me away from him and I was surprised as I barely leveraged myself on my elbows. Grabbing my hips, he began to fuck me hard up against the pool table and I screamed out. Him pushing me back had made the position a bit different. The edge of the table was pressing hard into my lower back. There would definitely be bruises later, but for some reason that's what made it all the more exciting He thrust into me again and again with wild abandon, guttural groans exploding out of him. Beads of sweat had formed on his creased brow as he eyed me with deep concentration, holding me like I was the most important thing at the time. His hair was damp now, curved strands over his forehead, with some clamped strands making sweat beads drop from him onto my the skin on my chest and neck. He fucked me mercilessly, hitting a newer spot that granted me no room to try and hoist some kind of control.

But failed. He was owning me with the skillful strokes he thrust into me.

I was screaming out and gripping the table as he fucked me hard--I don't know when I had let go of his shoulders--our bodies slapping shamelessly against one another.

Suddenly he yanked my wrists again, pulling hard to the point where I swear my bones popped but didn't have much time to amass the situation. He looped them around his shoulders and I struggled to hold on. My lifeless arms were dangling around his shoulders as he nibbled my lips and quickly hefted me off of the table, his large hands seeming to span the expanse of my behind as he lifted me off the table.

With him still inside of me and my eyes fluttering closed from the kiss, Henry stumbled us somewhere else. Before I knew it I was leaning up against something while he fucked me up against it. His hands were still on my ass as he continued to pleasure me. It's only then that I realized that Henry Walker was fucking me roughly to the beat of a popular R&B song as the song neared its end. And he wasn't missing a bit either. There was a part where he momentarily stopped fucking me hard to grind his hips into me. I whimpered and held my head as I thought it was about to explode when the intense sensations rocketed through me.

Henry didn't play fair.

The pleasure left me unable to formulate coherent sentences. I was in so much heaven I couldn't communicate with this world.

His thrusts were hard and rough, just like I'd requested. The slippery friction was outstanding, possessing my entire body, and my entire body seemed to be on fire. I held onto him for dear life, one hand clutching his hair, probably uprooting strands from his scalp, the other with my nails dragging down his slippery back from the thin sheen of sweat that coated his skin. The more pain I was obviously causing him, the harder Henry fucked me. And the harder he fucked me, the tighter I closed my walls around.

"Fuck…" he hissed. "Valerie…" Henry murmured in a warning murmur, his eyes drunken with lust. Drunken from me. The surge of power that infiltrated my being was something I had never experienced thus far in my life.

I bit my lip to stop the impending cocky smirk. Oh god this had never happened before. I had never felt cocky during sex. I closed my eyes as the pleasure assuaged me. Completely frenzied and in the moment, I leveraged my weight of my upper back on the wall and started trying to meet his thrusts, lowering when he thrust up and lifting when he pulled out from my tight fit, closing my walls around him as I lifted.

"Shit!" he swore, a mixture between amazement and surprise, and I could have sworn he shuddered for a second. Then instead of holding my behind, he wrapped his strong muscular arms around me tighter and slammed into me harder, making my body jolt as the force of his body met with mine.

"Oh…" I cried out, arching into him.

Give and take. Take and give. That was the game.

He had brought out a whole other side of me…

When he pushed harder into me, I gritted my teeth as multiple sensations bombarded me. From the sharp pain on my shoulder as he bit down hard while while he prepared to come, to the upward, direct, speedy thrusts into me while he prepared his release, to his arms bound around my waist to still me so that he could thrust into me to the hilt.

A small cry shot up my throat as he held me tightly, almost painfully, his entire body freezing and his teeth nipping hard into my shoulder as he came.

I shook all over as I came too, my walls spastic around his thick member in me, just from the thought alone of what we'd just done, and I collapsed on him, my head heavily resting on his shoulder.

Every limb on mine was weak as I breathed heavily on him.

I had never felt so satisfied before in my life.

I was breathing heavily when it was all over, every nerve ending of my body still tingling. My feelings were unreal.

When Henry made to pull out of me, I closed my legs around him and opened my eyes, lifting my head that felt like tons to shoot accusing eyes at him. Henry grinned, his dimples torturing me, as he leaned over me to administer light kisses on my lips. I smiled, blushing so hard I looked away as I stopped the kiss

"You are far more dangerous than I initially thought…" he muttered, eyes brimming with amusement as he looked down at me. I hated how shy he made me and buried my face in his neck, making him laugh into my hair.

When Henry suddenly tightened his hold around me and moved us to a lazy boy right next to us, our bodies still connected, reality hit hard.

"So what do you want to do today?" he asked as he sat across from me.

I got hid my fearful expression by laying my head on his chest. Fuck. This was not cute at all. Don't think I was one of those girls that thought the whole coy act was cute. But I couldn't help the shyness that infiltrated me. Henry's fingers immediately speared into my hair and massaged my scalp. I pressed small kisses along his tattooed chest, eying the artwork curiously as I tried not to make a big deal over the fact that he was the first man that had ever lifted me like so. My heart was racing too fast. Something that shouldn't have been a big deal to most was a big deal to me. All the jokes, comments made when I was a kid over the strife of having to pick me up were niggling my brain randomly. The only person that had ever picked me up without complaints was my father, and I couldn't blame anyone els really. I was a huge child.

I lay lazily on him for a while, not wanting to move a muscle. I could lay on him forever. Finally, I struggled to lift my head, glancing at him through messy curly strands.

"Fireworks," I said simply, still in a daze. Henry laughed at my difficulty to speak, rubbing my bottom lip. There was a look of utter satiation in his eyes.

"Sorted. I know a place."

"I want to buy some July 4th clothes," I blurted out.

"Why don't you just wear my clothes?"

He asked this as he fingered the hem of his shirt, which I had worn the entire time he fucked me hard and fast.

The thought of a guy offering me their clothes made me blush. I hated how much he made me blush. Though a part of me knew I couldn't fit anything he had.

"I want some high waisted shorts so bad," I said shyly, almost self-cautiously because I knew I may have not had the waist for them. To cover up my insecurities before they could show, I continued humorously. "Unless of course you have some. You did have that flowery apron.”

His dimple deepened as he grinned and tugged me closer to him. “But of course.” After I rolled my eyes, feeling him watching my every move. My eyes shyly flittered away as I somehow managed to stand up on wobbly legs. Henry bit a smirk at the work he'd obviously done and I rolled my eyes at him. Men and their egos. I tried to keep our conversation on track.

"I've never had the confidence to wear them before but I want to try them now."

"Oh yeah we can definitely get you into those." Henry murmured suggestively as he eyed my thighs and made to get up, moving closer to me. Laughing, I sprung backwards to attempt evading his grasp, but his lengthy arms and legs closed the distance between us when he stood up and he coiled the arm tightly around my lower back. His lips were quickly on me, nibbling hungrily.

Henry began dotting his kisses to my cheek, jaw, and then my neck. My knees got weak as he sought my spot and he began to squeeze my thighs. Gripping his shirt because of the strong need that swept through me, I began to squirm.

"Hmmm. I love it when you do that," he murmured against my skin, his tongue lashing out to swipe over me to make me squirm again. I bit my lip to swallow a groan.

"Henry, wait," I moaned, writhing against him. "We can't do it again. I have to get ready."

Henry teased me by stilling my hips, his fingers digging into my supple flesh. He took the bruised skin on my neck between his teeth, biting enough to make me moan, then reluctantly, slowly released me. My legs were almost as wobbly as wet noodles. His eyes burned  into me as he watched me try to gain back my control. A small smirk curled his lips when he saw visible evidence of how easily it was for him to make me weak and disorient me.

I made a retaliating face at him which he poked his tongue out to me for as I rounded him to go and shower.

I was walking away with a huge smile on my face feeling lucky, happy, inspired, confident.

And scared.

As I walked away Henry caught a hold of my hand and pulled me back.

"Lets have some tacos first. Then we can shower. Together."

End Notes:

I am well aware that Val was kind of annoying in this chapter and I may change that at a later date.

Chapter 17 by notheruniverse
Author's Notes:

this is in much need of editing.will correct later.

 

Chapter 17

It was so much fun. Henry took me to some of the best shops in the area. We took a break after an hour.

"Question," I said him as we walked down the busy street, each of us eating large ice-cream cones. Oh my god. My insides were bursting with so much joy. Just simply walking with him, talking about everything under the nice sunny July 4th sun  made me so giddy. I felt like all my childish dreams were coming true. I was so excited I had to tell myself countless number of times to chill.

"Yes?" Henry lifted his brows, anticipating my question, running his tongue over his lips to savor the ice cream. That alone got me hot and bothered and I fought to stay on track.

"You don't stay home much, do you?"

He paused for a moment, giving me a surprised look before sampling his ice cream again. He looked really nice, wearing a black and red checked shirt unbuttoned halfway down his shirt, blue jeans, and his worn boots. He also wore a beige hat. The entire ensemble should have looked odd but he actually had a way of making it look good. I think it was the cool confidence he carried with him.

Finally, Henry answered my question.

"I recently got that house."

"So you'll be living in the U.S.?" I hoped I didn't sound too hopeful.

"I haven't decided yet."

In just a few seconds his voice sounded a bit hollow. He seemed a bit guarded as well, but was trying to pass it off as casual.

"But yet you bought a house here…" I hoped I wasn't being too intrusive. His living situation was just a bit confusing to me, that's all.

"My mother urged me to. I have a house in London and one here. She really hates that I basically live out of a suitcase from hotel room to hotel room. I'm always moving around. I'm always traveling between London and here."

"I knew there was a reason the house felt so cold." When I realized what I'd said out loud, my eyes widened and I looked at him apologetically. "Oops."

Henry grinned instead, seemingly enjoying my honesty. "Cold? Do you not like it?"

"No, not cold! Just like, it didn't have a human touch. Not in a bad way. It's a very beautiful house--"

"But it's not a home. Don't worry. I get it. I agree." He looked ahead as we weaved through pedestrians on the busy, high-spirited sidewalk.

"Yeah. Oh I hope that wasn't mean," I said ruefully.

"No I told you I love honesty. To be honest with you, I can't stay in one place to long."

I was surprised by him admitting this.

"I kind of figured," I murmured.

"I'm basically a vagabond."

"When mashed potatoes for brains uses big words," I teased.

"I know. Stay tuned for more."

I linked my hand with his and took a bite of my ice cream cone. "We're so lame. But I like it."

"At least no one's around to be embarrassed, yeah?" Henry laughed, looking down at me.
 
I laughed and grinned proudly. "At least."

Before I knew it Henry mashed some of his ice cream on my nose and jetted off. I stood there, mouth agape, while some onlookers laughed at my expense. When Henry turned around and saw my reaction, he threw his head back laughing as he held his stomach. I narrowed my eyes, completely not amused.

"Oh that's so original Apples. The oldest trick in the book. It's been so overdone it's not cute anymore," I said to him dryly as I wiped off with the back of my hand.

"It looks good on you though," he teased as he walked backwards, grinning down at me. I nearly swooned--he had such an attractive smile. I was just about to retaliate when someone timidly tagged on Henry's arm.

"Hey are you Ben Walker's brother?" The woman asked shyly.

Henry glanced my way apologetically, but I motioned for him to carry on, not minding at all.

"I am. How are you?" he engaged her immediately and her eyes welled with tears. She began shaking her hands restlessly, her feet agitating for she couldn't stand still.

"Oh my god you're so hot. Can I take a picture with you?"

"Sure!" Henry took it all in stride and put his arm over her. She held her phone in her hand helplessly staring at it as she tried to prepare it. She took a picture of them both, Henry having to crane his neck lower so that he could be in frame. Once it was taken, she had a look at it and thanked him.

"Does it look alright? Let me have a look," he said and she showed it to him, still in surprise that he was speaking to her so warmly and casually.

"I'm not even in the picture!" He teased and her face turned pink as she blushed.

"But you're so tall!"

"May I hold this for a second?" he asked and she nodded, handing the phone to him. Henry then handed it to me.

"Could you take a picture of us, ma'am?" he asked and I took the phone from him. They posed once again and the lady was extremely happy and grateful to him for taking it. He stayed and chatted with her for a few minutes before telling her he had to go and requesting if he could give her one last hug before he left. I could have sworn she was about to faint when he asked for a hug, but she only started crying and gave him a hug. Which led to him trying to console her.

While the entire episode was a bit bizarre, it was still really nice of him. I could see why so many people gravitated towards him. Once Henry was finally freed from he came to me, took my hand and walked away a bit hastily.

"I'm sorry about that love," he apologized, continuing his purposeful steps down the sidewalk.

"No problem," I said, trying to fall into step with him. His long legs were no match for my stocky short ones.

"That is a common occurrence in my life, especially since my brother's popularity exploded. I hope you're okay with it…" he said matter-of-factly, but with some hope deep in his eyes.

"I'm okay with it. I can't expect your life to change just because I'm in it now," I said laughingly, to hopefully not make him feel so bothered by it.

"But you are changing my life."

Henry's words gave me pause and I blushed and looked away so that he wouldn't see me smiling too hard.

"There's a store near here somewhere." Through his shades he searched the store windows we walked by.

"Henry?"

"Yes?"

When he finally looked at me, I smeared what was left of my ice cream on his nose. Surprised, Henry paused. Laughing as I disengaged my hand from his, I chose this as my opportunity to run away from him.

"Oh no you don't," I heard from behind me. It wasn't long before a strong arm wound around my waist, ceasing me so abruptly my entire body jolted and what was left of my ice cream fell.

As I yelped in surprised, I was spun around too quick for my comprehension and felt Henry's lips immediately on mine, his cold, creamy nose rubbing against mine. My elation halted because, well, this was the second person I'd ever had the opportunity to have public displays of affection with.

My natural reaction was to get away from Henry. I could hear the laughter from the past, people questioning him or wondering what he was doing with such a disgusting figure like me.

"No," Henry murmured against my lips as he closed his large hand on the back of my head, making us walk backwards as he deepened the kiss.

When we finally pulled back, I was out of breath, and the outside world didn't even seem to matter. All could concentrate on were his eyes and what I was feeling inside.

"Let's go find these shorts," Henry said as he grabbed my hand.

I was just about to give up on finding the shorts, but then Henry wouldn't give up. I saw how persistent he was then, almost stubbornly so. Once Henry had his mind set on something, he eagerly went for it. It's almost how I used to be when it came to academics, but when it came to anything else, I neglected those things. Nothing was as important as being smart. Henry was helping me find these shorts like it was the biggest goal in the world.

I realized then that it was because if it had nothing to do with school, my parents never really pushed me to pursue much else. The only other person that had tried to push me to go for what I wanted was George. I pushed his pestering thoughts aside and focused on having fun with Henry while we went from shop to shop. it would have been a chore if we weren't enjoying ourselves thoroughly. We even stopped by shops that had nothing to do with what we were looking for and tried on silly masks and clothes, taking pictures of each other on our phones.

This would be one of the most memorable days of my life. Everyday with Henry was turning out to be that way.

We finally got to a store where I found some high-waisted shorts that were my size. They looked so good on the mannequin i was ready to try them on.

"I think I'll go with this one," I told Henry, showing them up to him and he nodded.

"Whatever you want. That's all that matters."

I left him looking at clothes as I went to try on the shorts, but once I had them on, my happy mood instantly dissipated. I had clearly gained a few pounds over the past month. I'm not sure how long I was in there before i heard a knock on my fitting room door.

"You okay in there?"

The voice was unmistakably Henry's.

"Yeah."

"How do you like it?"

"Not too much." I looked away from my reflection in the mirror, trying not to feel down. "I think I'll just go for some regular jeans--"

"Let me see you."

"I already changed," I hedged.

"Put them back on."

I huffed impatiently as I started to gather my jeans, wondering why he wouldn't just leave the situation alone.
"You  know that I can see you right? You still have them on."

I looked at the mirror and could see Henrys eyes peeking into the dressing room. My heart jumped and I uselessly shielded myself with my jeans.

"Henry! Stop peeping!"

"Open the door"

Sighing heavily, I opened the door and tried not to feel as awkward as I looked. Once Henry stepped in, locking the door behind him, the room seemed to become smaller than it really was.

Before I knew it, I started rambling.

"I forgot how fat my legs are. And my hips are shaped like diamonds there's no real curve it's so annoying. My stomach isn't small enough you can still see the fat on the sides so the high waisted jeans look deformed and I can't wear the tight fitting shirt I wanted, it has to be something kind big that hides my waist. And my legs aren't long enough and the boots just don't go well with my wide hips. I just look odd. It's disgusting. I've been trying to work out but my metabolic rate isn't as fast as others, but I guess I could give up some of the foods I eat so I have no excuse. Like I should cut off eating bread all together. Ah, it's okay these aren't the shorts that I wanted."

Pin drop silence befell us and Henry simply stared at me, his concentrated expression never once changing. He was simply looking like he was listening but there was no real give away of what he was thinking. I felt I had to justify what I was saying and why. I'd always had to explain my body, even after the weight was off.

I tried to work out but when under stress there were times I still used eating as a crutch to deal with my emotions. That's what I'd always done since I was little because discussing feelings was basically forbidden in our household and when you tried the issues were swept aside.

I was about to apologize for my disturbing and irritating behavior when Henry suddenly spoke.

"Who did this to you?"

The question hit me like a bullet.

"What?"

With his hands stuffed in his pockets, Henry slowly walked up to me. "Who made you like this?"

I opened my mouth to answer, but couldn't formulate an answer. I thought about all the teasing and the like I experienced growing up, then lowered my head when I realized the truth of the matter.

I made myself like this because I allowed others to do this to me.

Henry cut my thoughts off when he hooked his finger around my shorts and yanked me forward until I was standing up against him. His arms were wrapped around my waist as he looked down at me.

"You've always liked high waisted shorts, am I right?"

"Y-Yeah, but--"

"So wear them."

"Okay," I said for the sake of not being more of a basket case than I had been. I expected him to smile with relief that I said what he wanted to hear, when Henry simply shook his head, the same small smile still on his face as he walked us back, his arms still around me.

"I like your hat," I said when it got too quiet and awkward.

"Let's play a game," Henry said, ignoring my attempt at changing the subject.

My face grew warm. "We can't do that stuff here Henry."

"You wear the shorts you've always wanted to wear, and when we get home, I'll let you do whatever it is you want to do to me."

I blinked in surprise at him, then finally allowed myself to smile as I thought of the possibilities. Yes, sex wasn't everything, but for right now it was a great thing going on between Henry and I. I did feel strange at first with him using that to 'bribe' me into wearing the shorts, but I decided I would stop being negative and play along.

"Anything?" I asked as I roamed my eyes all over his face, thinking of all the things I wanted to do with Henry and vice versa.Henry took his hat off and placed it on my head, showing he hadn't ignored my compliment about his hat.

"Anything you want, I'm yours." After pecking me, he playfully pulled the hat further down over my face.  Just tell me how you want me."

I slapped his hand away and lifted the hat to look up at him with a smile. "Ok--"

"But this game only applies if you're doing what you really want to do, and only applies if you're making the decision based on what you want and only on what you want, not what I want, not what anyone wants, not even what this wants" He gently tapped my temple. "…Just what this wants." He pointed at my chest and my entire body felt weightless as blood raced through my veins.

As I looked at the eyes before me, I was overcome with many emotions. I wrapped my arms around my midriff, feeling the denim of the shorts against my fingers. His words meant so much more than they simply appeared.

I smiled, and spoke from the heart, overcome with so much emotion my voice was only above a whisper.

"I think I'm going to get these shorts."

Henry sealed it all with a kiss.

Chapter 18 by notheruniverse
Author's Notes:

Chapter was too long to post in one go. Sorry for the abrupt end.

Chapter 18

There is something very scary about experiencing what you feel could be heaven on earth. Because the possibility of feeling so great, when we're taught that heaven is an amazing place we'll only get to experience once we're dead, can make you question your existence. It can make you wonder if you are really truly alive.

The feeling is very scary especially when it is someone else who brings that feeling of heaven out of you, instead of something you are strong enough to find within yourself.

Unattended wounds could take eons to heal, but there are times when you are able to numb the pain, even if it's just temporary.

It's clear that the scars from my past still oozed with pain, but on that day, on July 4th, the pain was dulled and less distracting because of the temporary band aid that was on them.

I was not fooled for one second into thinking that it was all beautiful and grand that I had the brief confidence of a lion on that day because of the encouraging words Henry had given me. I knew that such fleeting happiness had a harsh price because it was just that, temporary. But did that mean that I could not revel in that feeling of completely allowing myself, forcing myself to let go just for one day and pretend that I was a woman without insecurities or self doubts?

Perhaps it was a visceral reaction to my childish, annoying behavior earlier that morning, but maybe that's what I needed to force myself to move on. It also began to dawn on me that maybe part of the reason I hadn't kept steady friendships growing up wasn't solely because of my weight or body issues.

My attitude had a lot to do with it. I was beating a dead horse to myself because Ella had told me as much, but I refused to listen. I believed that anyone else telling me it was my attitude couldn't understand because they weren't morbidly obese and had no right to talk. But now as I was going through the day, with the decision that my day would be a good day against all odds from what others said t I should be or shouldn't, that the day was actually turning out to be good.

I focused on being able to spend time with Henry, and he was so much fun that I didn't have enough time to let the poison that was my mind to do the talking for me. 

But of course I did keep thinking that it shouldn't have taken a man to bring me so much joy.

Henry took me to a July 4th festival at a large theme park. He'd taken his dodge truck that day, and I was surprised to find out he drove a truck. He didn't seem like the truck type. There was a mattress in the back of the truck and when Henry saw me eying it speculatively, I saw his lecherous grin from the corner of my eyes.

"Wanna test it out?" His open-mouthed cheesy smile was coupled with a wink and I rolled my eyes at him.

"Shut up Henry. I won't even ask."

A small part of me wondered how many other women he'd taken to bed and while I knew I had no right to feel jealous, I felt it regardless. Apparently I was either really hard to read or Henry just knew how to read me because he came up behind me and wrapped one arm around my stomach, pulling me back to him as he dropped a kiss on my shoulder.

"Nothing has happened there. Promise," he said on my skin, and I could hear the smile behind his tone. He was teasing me and reveling in my obvious jealousy.

I was about to ask him how many partners he'd ever had, but did I even want to know? Why ask him anyway? That might end up ruining the vibe. It also made me confused about the pace that we were going at. It was just last night that I saw him for the first time in a month of having no contact, and I already slept with him. I tried not to think too hard about it or feel shamed by societal standards of how long a woman was supposed to wait in comparison to a man. I pushed all the teachings from mother about giving it up too early and too easily to a man. Hell, especially considering the fact that I'd begged him for it.

"You okay?" Henry asked and I realized I didn't respond to his comment of nothing happening on that mattress. Not wanting to seem like the jealous type especially so early into this unconfirmed 'thing' we had going on, I smiled at him  reassuringly.

"I'm great." I snuggled into his side. "I wanna soak this whole thing up," I told him as I swept my eyes over the wide expanse of the fair.

I was immediately taken by how beautiful that day was.

There were many attendants and the spirit was just so positive and amazing. 

The skies were still blue and due to the Pacific current and the windy nature of the day, it wasn't too hot. Hand in hand we walked around, bypassing kids running around with their American flags and bright balloons. There were couples and families with picnic blankets and foldable camping chairs.

"You look so amazed," Henry said and I realized that he was staring at me. We were walking around hand in hand soaking the place in before we settled in. He told me that he was to meet up with some friends, whom we were going to spend the day with. When he'd seen the horror on my face, he assured me that it would all be okay and I forced myself to remember that  I lowered my face as and shyly held his hand with both of mine.

"I've only been to a theme park once before," I found myself explaining but kept mum about everything else. The time I did go ended up not being so great because the group of kids I went with cracked some jokes about the fact that I was too big to get on the rides. I remembered hiding from them and crying when Ella found me and started crying with me.

I remember her telling me to fuck everyone else and that one day I would be happy and that she knew for certain I would be.

We were together for about an hour, just talking about life and our day. Henry told me that we were to meet up with some friends of his and at first it made me a bit nervous and apprehensive but I told myself to chill.

Both of us were sitting cross legged on the grass watching a funny video on Henry's phone when we heard someone screaming. We looked back and saw a group of people approaching us, some with balloons and one holding up a cake.

The lady screaming flailed her arms and basically pounced on Henry. At first I panicked, wondering if we'd finally met the loose cannon that was one of his fans, but when Henry readily held her and spun her around, I knew that he knew them. And as the group approached, the distant song that they were singing got louder and it dawned on me that they were singing 'Happy Birthday' to Henry.

When they neared, all singing affectionately but off-key, I saw the icing on the cake stating 'Happy Birthday Old Bastard'. My eyes bounced from one person to the next as I tried to make a distinction between each of them. The lady that pounced on him had long wavy hair with a flower crown over her head, wearing a loose vest and shorts that showcased enviable long legs. There was a guy with dark hair that was extremely lanky with tattoos and looked like he belonged to the same pack as Henry. He had a beard and friendly eyes that reached his smile. He sang the loudest out of them all. Then there was another lady that was stunning by societal standards. Extremely slender, blonde, striking grey eyes, full lips, an elongated neck, wearing high waisted shorts just as I and a loose fitting crop top that showcased her upper abs. She and I were the only ones not singing along and we shared a brief glance with her smiling politely. Returning her smile, I tried not to compare myself to her and looked to Henry, who had since let the lady that pounced on him down and was trying not to show his embarrassment over them singing for  him. The lady he set down took off the firework candle and asked Henry to make a wish.

"I wish all you screeching cats would stop singing, that's what I wish," he said and earned a playful shove on his shoulder while he held the cake that was handed to him.

"Happy birthday you old bloke," the guy who dressed like Henry said, ruffling Henry's hair. He had a British accent. 

"I told you guys not to do anything for me" Henry said even though it was clear he was overjoyed by this. He looked down the cake with a huge smile, his dimples deep while he admired the cake.

"It's home made, that's why it looks so sloppy," the lady stated and she had a British accent as well.

"I see that, Pat," Henry said to her.

"C'mon. Let's have some grub," the man said as he held up a bag which I assumed were the cutlery needed.

Henry was about to walk off when he stopped and looked up. His eyes stopped in front of him which were at the  modelesque lady's pert breasts. His eyes slinked back down and then quickly back up to her face. he appeared amazed, unsurprisingly, and blinked out of his daze.

"Hello." He squinted. "Rhea Jones, init?"

With his large hands Henry had no problem balancing the cake with one hand and reaching out to shake her hand with the other. Although seemingly surprised that Henry would know who she was, she smiled prettily, she gave him her slender hand with a nod.

"Yeah. Henry Walker?" She spoke with an American accent.

"Nice to meet you," he said charmingly, eyes glowing and warm. I could see Rhea blushing and couldn't blame her. I tried to keep it all in perspective. Just because Henry had shown me affection didn't mean he wouldn't find any other women attractive, especially when they looked like Rhea.

I was quickly closed out of the group as they all reacquainted themselves with each other and suddenly Henry looked my way, as though remembering I was there.

"Oh! Everyone, I want you to meet a friend of mine, Valerie," He said as he placed his hand on my lower back and gently moved me towards him.

"Valerie, this is Patricia, mostly known as Pat," Henry pointed at the lady that pounced on him with a flower crown.

"I'm so sorry we interrupted. Nice to meet you. I love your hair!" She said as she playfully touched some blond tendrils.

"Bug off!" Henry said while swatting her hand away.

"What? I can't admire her hair?" She squawked.

"This is Dave, childhood friend," Henry said of the guy who nodded towards me.

"Nice to meet you," he said.

"And this is Rhea, first time I'm meeting her. Model, right?" Henry asked and she smiled with a nod and a small wave.

"Nice to meet you both," she said coolly to Henry and I.

"It's nice to meet you all," I told them. Now that Henry had introduced me and was being very warm towards me, they were all more receptive to me. We all began to walk but everyone paired up pretty quickly catching up. Henry talked to Pat and Dave talked to Rhea, who was very quiet. I kind of tagged along, feeling awkward and out of place, but Dave soon tried to bring me into the conversation and Rhea as well.

When we finally found a sitting spot, I ended up sitting next to Rhea and Dave, across from Henry and Pat. They'd thankfully brought a picnic blanket for us to sit on with paper plates and forks. I'd attempted not to act like a pig that morning but the tacos Henry had made were so good I couldn't help but gobble many of them up.

Everyone got a huge slice of cake without complaints, and I tried not to do what I did by comparing my portion to everyone else's. Though we had just eaten some ice cream earlier. I was starting to do the irritating I did when my food issues had gotten extremely bad.

"So it's your birthday…" I murmured to Henry, a bit irritated that he didn't say anything, as he handed me my piece of cake.

"Maybe," Henry said with a sheepish grin  that showed he knew I wasn't happy about being in the dark and shook my head at him.

"He likes to pretend humble but he loves his birthday. He loves all the attention," Dave said and Henry shrugged. The more I hang around this group of people, the more comfortable I became. They were all very laid back and more down to earth than the people I normally saw Henry surrounded by. They were all so nice it didn't really bother me when Henry and Rhea had fallen into conversation amongst themselves. Pat and Dave kept me occupied and were very funny and fun.

The cake was especially good and I ate all of it, not at all worried about the 'repercussions' of my actions.

After a while, Dave and Henry began a water fight that forced us all on our feet to evade the splashes of icing water.

"You idiots!" I damn near shrieked.

"You guys are so immature!" Rhea, normally quiet, said when some more water got splashed on both of our faces.

After seeing how frustrated yet silly we looked, we burst out laughing. When that calmed down, we all stood about talking and enjoying each other's company.

"So, what do you think? They make a cute couple, don't they?" Pat asked as we stood about talking and when I looked in the direction she gestured at, I saw Henry and Rhea talking to each other. I glanced back at her, at a loss for words, and she smiled surreptitiously.

"I brought her here to hook him up with her. I think he'd like her. She's cute and a very chill, laid back girl, especially coming from that world? She's a catch. I know Henry said no more models but, I think he will really like her."

Henry and I hadn't been touchy-feely, so I don't think Pat was trying to be malicious. She seemed really genuine and Rhea's presence now made more sense. I thought she was just a new friend of the pack, which she was, but the main reason for her being here was to hook her up with Henry. He did just get out of a bad break up.

Just as I was about to respond, something disrupted us.

"BROTHER!!" We heard a female voice scream behind us and turned to see a skinny lady with shoulder length dark brown wavy hair, a denim jacket and shorts, running over dramatically waving one hand. The other held what looked to be a picnic basket, cloaked in a white cloth.

Henry's face immediately lit up, "SISTER!" He mimicked her comical, slow motion run once she let her basket down, and finally just jogged up to her with the biggest grin. He wrapped his arms around her, picked her up as he spun her around and she hugged him back, wearing a smile just as big and as identical to his. She had dimples as well but that's as far as how alike they looked. Unlike Henry, she had deep set hazel eyes.

"Hey Quak Quak!" she teased him, shoving his shoulder once he set her down. Watching families be so affectionate was always so foreign to me. I couldn't understand it, but I loved watching it.

The friends we were standing by walked up to them and hugged the newcomer, as they obviously knew her as well. Rhea and I stood around awkwardly, not really knowing how to fit ourselves into their world.

"Guess what I got you?!" Henry's sister asked as she crouched next to the basket. When she lifted the cloth, out it was a pet carrier and a bunch of 'awwww' went around when we saw his sister pulling out two very small white and grey fluffy kittens from the carrier.

"Uh…what the…" Henry's voice tapered off as he watched his sister in what looked to be imminent horror.

"Kittens. So that you can finally sit your traveling butt at home. You did say you were ready to retire, didn't you?" She grinned as she walked up to him with the kittens and their tiny meows. Henry looked like he was about to run away.

"Awww they're so cute!!" Pat gushed while Rhea and I agreed. For some reason Dave was in the background laughing his tail off and the amused look on his sister's face spoke volumes.

"Thanks a lot, Lori," Henry murmured monotonously as he eyed the kittens with trepidation. He was acting like she wanting him two huge tigers. Henry took the kittens in his hands and looked at them blankly. His behavior was so uncharacteristic for someone who was always open to everyone and everything. His sister looked about at everyone and her eyes bypassed Rhea and I twice. After telling me hello politely, she eyed Rhea.

"You must be Val-Heroine?" she asked with an all-knowing smile. "Why am I not surprised--"

"For christ's sake, Lori," Henry said with a sigh.

"He won't stop talking about you," she continued telling Rhea, who was shaking her head, trying to correct her, but Lori insisted. "No really. He's crazy about you."

"She's Valerie," Rhea finally interjected as she put her arm over my shoulder. Lori could not hide her surprise, with her hands over her mouth in embarrassment.

"I'm so sorry! I don't know--oh god I'm sorry. This is so embarrassing," Lori said as I tried to assure her it was okay. I guess Rhea was more his type at first glance.

"You should be embarrassed. Look at you," Henry heckled. He'd already passed the kittens off to Pat. 

"This is the ass you're dating?" She asked me in bewilderment and I laughed, not really knowing how to respond to that. Hell, I didn't know if we were dating or not.

"You know money would have been a better gift to give me than some kittens," Henry murmured and I gave him a disapproving look that he didn't see, even though I knew he was kind of joking. Lori looked at Rhea and I in astonishment.

"Do you see how ungrateful he is?" she asked.

"You haven't even carried them long enough," I joined in and Henry lifted his brows at me, as if surprised that I was placing myself in this situations without being dragged in. Normally, I would have shyly allowed myself to drown into the background. I was so used to being ignored when I realized maybe sometimes I needed to take initiative. I just always thought I was ignored for the awkwardness of my weight.

"Thank you!" Lori chimed in, making me feel not so awkward about butting into business that wasn't mine.

"Alright, where's the kitties. Bring on the kitties." Henry waved them back to him from Pat's hold. We stood about talking, Lori continuously apologizing to both Rhea and I for confusing the both of us.

"BRO! CALM THE FUCK DOWN!"

We suddenly heard Henry bellow and turned to see that Ben had seemingly materialized from nowhere and pounced onto Henry's back, nearly making him fall forward. It's a miracle he was still able to hold the kittens. Ben didn't let up, continuously piggy backing him.

"Ben get off! You're going to make him drop the kittens!" Lori stepped in, trying to pry Ben off of Henry. Ben's ears seemed to perk up when he heard the word kittens.

"Kittens? What kittens?"

That's when I saw none other than Savannah and a tall, brown haired guy joining the group.

"Here we fucking go…" I heard Dave mutter under his breath.

"Oh Lord," Pat said too before sharing an inscrutable glance with Dave. Rhea and I eyed each other in confusion.

Ben was far more excited by the kittens than Henry was, and took one from him.

"What is he doing?" Rhea asked in confusion and we watched as Ben fit the small kitten in his breast pocket.

"Look. She fits right in my pocket."

Amused, Henry mimicked his brother by stuffing the kitten in his hand in his pocket and the two began to crack up together while giving each other a dab.

"Oh god…" Lori muttered.

The kitten settled comfortably in Henry's breast pocket and Henry and Ben looked like kids in a candy store. Lori stared at her brothers like she was truly concerned about their sanity before turning to me with a frown.

"I can only apologize for being related to them, but I don't claim their behavior one bit."

I could only laugh at her when suddenly I caught Ben's attention because he gasped and walked over to me with arms wide open.

"It's my fav, Val-Heroine."

I had to push Ben away for me, for fear that the kitten would suffocate or get smashed. "Hello Ben," I greeted as I checked on the delicate creature.

"If you guys don't stop calling her that…" Henry warned drably while petting his kitten. It was such a comical sight to see. He was clearly getting attached to the kitten already. I couldn't focus on that too long because Lori and Ben weren't too far off from mocking Henry.

"What is he going to do? Send us cupcakes like the sweet bastard he is?" Ben ridiculed him.

"I know! Paint us unicorns with daffodil crowns?" Lori joined in.

"If you guys don't stop calling her that, my arse." Ben threw his arm over my shoulder and shook his head disbelievingly at his brother. "No offense Valerie. He is all talk."

I thoroughly enjoyed them all making fun of Henry. It was a bit fun to see the 'nice guy' get irritated and impatient.

His features only softened when he looked at me as I laughed behind my hands.

"Whatever," he finally said begrudgingly even though now he was a bit more becoming.

"What are you going to name your new babies?" Lori asked and Ben looked at his older brother curiously. Henry eyed the kitten in his pocket in consternation then finally smiled softly.

"You know, I have the perfect names."

"Will you just get on with it and say it?" Ben asked impatiently.

"Apples and Peaches."

My heart jumped and the feeling that went through me, I could never fully describe it. Gnawing his bottom lip to stop what looked to be a huge smile, Henry lifted his gaze to mine but only for a brief moment, because Lori began cooing and awwwing.

"Oh my god how cute!" Lori gushed. "For once, you get something right!"

"Awful," Ben muttered as he turned and began to walk off, then looked down at the kitten in his pocket and petted them. "I'm sorry Apple or Peaches, whichever you are."

"Stop being a hater. Anyway, I'm starved. Have you guys eaten any?" Lori asked Ben, who hooked his arm with hers, using his other hand to keep the kitten in his breast pocket in tact.

"No. Let's go hunt for food," He said.

"I'm really sorry about this," Henry approached me with a slight frown and I grinned at him, petting the sleepy kitten in his breast pocket.

"About what?"

"Them. They're obnoxious when they get together."

"Um, don't try to exclude yourself from the pack. You're just as obnoxious."

"Me? Obnoxiou…" Henry's voice tapered off when one of Ben's friends walked up to him.

"Hey mate. Your 28th birthday, yeah?"

"Hey Matt. Yeah." I'd never heard Henry sound so dry and unwelcoming of anyone. Matt's smile faltered and he saved face by trying to speak to Ben again.

"Hey Henry," Savannah said a bit more reservedly and Henry simply acknowledged her with a nod. It's no surprise that there was tension there. Savannah didn't seem to remember me but I didn't mind.

Finally we decided to sit down so that we could chat for a bit.

"Hey Henry, why don't you sit next to Rhea," Pat suggested while trying to wink and Rhea rolled her eyes as she sat down.

"Rhea's a big girl, she can take care of herself," Henry tried to joke as he sat next to me and Pat looked like she was about to slap Henry but he paid her no mind.

While I was listening to Ben tell a story of when he and the group visited Japan, my phone buzzed in my pocket. I was having such a good time, I'd forgotten all about my phone.

When I got my phone out of my pocket and saw my mother's name, a foreboding feeling began to befall me. It's a shame that's what seeing my parents calling did to me.

Tagging at Henry's sleeve, I caught his attention from the group.

"I'm sorry. I have to take this," I whispered as I started to stand up.

"Okay," Henry said before stopping me and pecking me on my lips and quietly listening in on what was being discussed. Something made me pause and look around the group to see if anyone saw this. Rhea did and smiled uncomfortably before looking away. Lori playfully jammed her hand in her mouth like she was repulsed. Pat had been so focused on the kittens she didn't notice and neither did anyone else.

"Hey Mom," I answered the phone as I oddly folded my arm over my midriff without realizing it initially, all while I walked away from the group until I was in a quiet spot of the fair, as quiet as quiet could be.

"Where are you? Our guests are here. Or are you coming with Ella later?"

I can't believe it hadn't even crossed my mind. I usually put my family's needs before all else. We rarely hosted family gatherings for holidays and would often go to my mother's sister's house. Every now and then we'd hold them at home and I'd completely forgotten we were having it done this year. My mother usually hired a chef to do the cooking when it was done at our house so  she didn't need me to help with the cooking, especially when I wasn't that great of a cook.

My initial thought was to find a way home instantly. I was always so ready to please them whenever they needed me to, if only for their acceptance, but when I looked over my shoulder at the chill environment, I immediately made my decision.

Family gatherings were always so awkward for us and seemed so forced and today I felt like I was finally being free and being myself.

I didn't feel like playing a character.

"No I'm not coming with Ella later. I'm sorry Mom. I think I'm going to pass today."

The line grew silent and I could feel both her shock and disappointment on the other line. My instinct was to rush in and say that I would find some way to hurry home, but I bit the lip before the urge befell me. I felt so guilty though. I felt so out of my element. This was not something I normally did and it felt like an out of body experience.

"Oh…well, I wasn't expecting that. Mary was expecting you." Compared to my father, my mother showed a tad bit more emotion and I could hear the dejection in her voice.

I sighed at the mention of my little sister. We kept in contact but I hadn't seen her in a while.

"I'm sorry Mom. I'll call her, but I just can't come in today."

"Are you feeling okay? Are you sick?"

"No, it's not that."

"Honey please don't tell me you are worrying about your weight. You may have gained a few pounds but you look fine the way you are. I had the chefs make a healthier version of the food so that you could join us without worrying so much."

"Uh…no, I feel fine," I murmured, trying to ignore the feeling of discomfort that began to rise at the mention of my weight.

"So…why are you not coming?"

I hesitated. "I just have other plans."

"What plans? With who?"

"Mom, I'm 27 years old. I don't have to tell you everything I'm doing and with who at every second."

"Excuse me?"

I sighed. "Not in a bad way Mom, you know what I mean. You're treating me like a child."

"I agree with you that as an adult you are entitled to make your decision but know this, a life of secrecy is when deviations start. When you have to hide how you are living a life there is clearly a problem."

I sighed and started rubbing my forehead.

"Is it that boy that you kissed on your birthday?"

I suddenly felt very overprotective of Henry and became a bit hostile.

"He's a man, and no, it's not him that's making me make these decisions. I'm making these decisions on my own. I'm sorry I couldn't be there, but I just have other things to do and I hope you have a good July 4th."

"Valerie, this is a family gathering. There are very important people who are coming as well--"

"If Dad and Monica aren't going to be there, why do I have to be there?" I finally snapped, annoyed that she was choosing now to be the overbearing parent. I'd never been a 'wild child' in their eyes. Always docile and always following their rules. In recent years I did begin to have some kind of snark that reared its head every once in a while. Ironically I got away with being a smartass more so with my dad than my mom,

I'd asked her this question many times before and always got and never asked again.

"He never shows up to these things yet we all have to show up to save face for him."

"Is this about you trying to make a point to your father? Valerie, whatever problems you have with him, please just put those aside."

"This is about me just having plans that happen to be on July 4th and me not showing up Mom. It's nothing else. Please don't make it about anyone else. I'm not coming and I take my earlier apology back because I haven't done anything wrong."

"I just wanted you here, that's all."

"I'm sorry Mom. I'll stop by as soon as I'm done with my plans."

"Well, be careful. Valerie?"

"Yes?"

"Are you using protection?"

"Mom!"

"Now, now I know you are 27 but I am still your mother and I still want you to lead a decent life and not get caught up. There was something about that boy I just didn't like--"

"He's a man."

"Please do not interrupt me when I'm speaking."

"Please stop calling him a boy."

The silence that followed bespoke many volumes. All I could do was sigh in silence, knowing I'd overstepped a boundary with my mom. I waited for the lecture of a century over disrespect, but my mother softened her voice, sounding really concerned.

"Guys like him are just…they are the men of the month. I can just tell with him, he is not about substance or commitment. Please, if you are having sex with him, practice safe sex but I hope you are doing as I taught you. Do not lay with a man unless you know he is yours and vice versa. Until marriage. Men who commit are hard to come by and he just seems like the type who likes to hop from place to place. Like a nomad. I don't see any stability with him at all."

My mother's words sent a chill down my spine.

"Y-You've only met him once," I defended, although the break in my voice showed how uncertain her words had made me.

"You can tell a lot about a man by how he carries himself, sweetheart. That b--man has playboy written all over him. I know it seems fun, but anything that is too good too fast never lasts. Just know that. I hope you haven't laid with him yet, he just seems like trouble. Haven't you learned from Monica? Look at what happened to her. I thought by now you'd have gotten over these types of men that seem like a good time but have no future really. I don't know what is wrong with you girls. You know George was so perfect for you. He was patient and a very studious young man with grand plans for the future. I wish you could date him again."

"Are you done?" I asked, the hostility in my voice unmistakable. My mother sighed heavily into the phone and it grew quiet.

"I know sometimes you think we are too hard on you, but it's because we want the best for you."

I was stubbornly quiet for a while before finally murmuring.  "I understand."

"Know your worth and don't sell yourself short and so easily. I don't know why I'm worrying when you are not the fast type like your sister. She was a hell raiser wasn't she? Okay, they are knocking for me to go downstairs. I will talk to you later."

As expected, the phone call left on a very low note. Chewing my tongue, I prepared to find my way back to the group.

Instead, I diverted to the bathrooms.

Chapter 18 pt 2 by notheruniverse
Author's Notes:

Carmen Solomon seems to be more fitting of how I view Val, not in size but in face. In size Val is more like http://fashionbombdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/rue-107-plus-sizes.jpg

 

 

the odd cliff hanger is because the chapter is too long. I will post the 3rd part later.



CHAPTER 18 PT 2

I stood in front of the toilet, wondering when this lifelong battle would come to a close. The itch was still there, especially after the emotional distress I just experienced with my mother.

Suddenly I counted everything I ate that day and how much of it that I did. I was ashamed and annoyed. Ashamed of wanting to throw up something the less fortunate grappled to have. Yet, I knew I wouldn't feel settled until it was all purged out of me.

But if I didn't purge, I would feel like I had lost as well. This was no win…unless I told myself that it would be okay. I had to learn to deal with my emotions instead of just purging them away with the only true form of control I'd ever known.

The hardest thing was walking away from that toilet and not allowing the feeling of fullness to weigh me down. I was smiling once I was outside, despite the pressing feeling of helplessness. I knew deep down I had done the right thing, and I had to keep reminding myself of that.

I finally found the group again and walked up to Pat to ask her where Henry and Ben were, only for her to pull me aside from Dave, Rhea, Lori, Matt, and Savannah, who were all talking.

"I'm so sorry about what I said earlier. I didn't know that you and Henry were a thing."

I stared at her blankly, not really knowing how to respond. All I knew was that my cheeks were burning in embarrassment. When she mentioned 'a thing' did she mean what we had done last night? How had that news got about so fast? I felt a bit overexposed and rubbed my nape, not really knowing how to tell her politely that what happened between Henry and I was just that, between Henry and I.

"Why didn't you tell me that you two are dating when I was ranting on and on about how cute they look?" she continued on, her elaboration making it clear what she meant by 'a thing'. She must have not heard Lori when she was stating Henry talked about me all the time. She seemed genuine enough but at this point I just didn't know. Women were always getting in my ear once they saw Henry and I together.

"We're not…ummm…" I was starting to get confused. We weren't dating though? We hadn't even talked about it. The last thing we talked about in regards to us on the fence was saying that we wanted to take things slow. Then again when we made love--I mean, had sex--he said he would take care of me. But men said all sorts of things when they were in heat, right?

"You're not?" Pat's brow wrinkled. "We were talking back there and Lori says you two are."

"Well--"

"Oh, Valerie don't act so coy. Henry's a really great guy." She put her arm over my shoulder and directed us back to the small group. "But I understand why you'd want to keep things private. Ever since Ben and his band mates blew up, privacy is a thing of the past. I mean look right over there," Pat pointed to a girl a few feet away, holding her phone up in the direction where Lori and company stood. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

"They don't only stalk Ben now. They stalk his siblings, parents, friends. Basically anyone they are associated with. It's crazy, really. So I understand you guys wanting to keep things under wraps." She sighed. "And then there's those two." She was eying Matt and Savannah suspiciously, then suddenly looked at me. "You don't work in Hollywood, do you?"

Everything was coming at me so fast. "I--Well, I'm just a software developer so I don't really know all this stuff…"

Pat looked genuinely surprised. "Wow. Probably too smart to hang with us."

I laughed and shook my head. "Not really."

"I have a good feeling about you, and while my instincts are almost always right, don't be surprised if I watch you like a hawk. Henry is like a brother to me so I will watch to make sure he doesn't get hurt or used, him or Ben."

The seriousness on her face told me she wasn't joking.

At the same time, I didn't like being talked to like I was a criminal without any evidence. For all my father's ways, one thing he had taught me, especially after having to deal with being a black man moving up the ranks of a profession that apparently wasn't designed for black men by the system, was that I should never let anyone accuse me of anything I didn't do. And that I should always defend my hard earned work. I may have been a pushover in most things, but when it came to being prejudged in a sense of my character as far as whether I was a good person or not, or my hard work, I didn't let that fly.

"I'm not a criminal so I don't need to be watched like I'm one," I said coolly and was surprised by how much I sounded like my dad. Pat seemed surprised too by my stoic tone.

As a black woman moving through a male-dominated industry, I'd learned to move in silence but that didn't always suffice. Sometimes you had to stand up and be heard. That's what dad taught me. I remember once in middle school this girl accused me of stealing her lunch when I didn't. The feeling was awful and my father forced me to claim my innocence. While I was mad at him for making me defend myself on my own, I do recall he stood behind me.

It was paradoxical and strange how I was confident in certain aspects of my life but extremely weak and insecure in others.

"I don't mean you are a criminal. I just mean that we are very wary of who we let into this circle. There are too many people out to use these boys for their own good."

"I hope your intentions are good with me as well Pat," I told her, not liking the feeling of being run down for simply existing in this environment.

Pat, who was still taken aback to me not cowering in order to be accepted so much by her and her crew, relaxed just a little, with an appraising smile.

"You know what? Maybe I will like you, Val." She said, giving my back an accepting pat. Ironically, my heart was racing and my blood was rushing vastly through my veins. The last time I defended myself like this was at work. Standing as the only woman on a project we were working on, I was hellbent that my ideas and decision would further advance the project and gain us acclaim, though my male-oriented group did not agree. I fought for it and proved them wrong. At least my skill is where I was confident, the only place I'd been allowed to push myself.

As I ruminated over my thoughts, Pat continued, "People try to befriend me just to get closer to them. Isn't that stupid? Like those two fakes over there."

By then we had gotten to the group and I saw that she was referring to Savannah and Matt, who seemed to be excluded from the conversation Lori and Dave were having. When I came back, they talked with me although after what Pat said, I could tell Lori was sizing me up. I felt like a chicken in the midst of a pack of wolves, just waiting for my first misstep. Lori was friendly but still a bit guarded. I never really understood the effect of Ben's fame and how it reached his siblings but I got bits and pieces that day.

"Um, do you know where Henry is?" I asked Lori, even if it killed me to ask.

"He and Ben went to get us some drinks, I think, down over there where those tents are at," Lori explained. After thanking her, I chose then to walk around and clear my mind from what my mother said.

I was walking around the back of the tents to the front, feeling happy when I heard what I knew was Henry's voice. I was about to step out to them excitedly when the subject matter that I accidentally eavesdropped on made me pause.

"So…you brought Savannah and her friend when I've specifically told you to stop hanging around them." That was unmistakably Henry's voice. 

"Here we go…"

"Ben, how many times do I have to tell you--" Henry was interrupted.

"Why can't I just make my own decisions? I'm not a child anymore you know? And why the hell do you think you can come back years later to try and be the big brother you never were when you left?"

It became silent except the other chatter going around, and I swear I heard a kitten meowing.

A large sigh sounded, followed by Ben's voice."I'm sorry I said that. I didn't mean it."

More silence followed.

"Look, today is your birthday. Let's just enjoy it, okay? Matt and Savannah are harmless. They kick themselves in the gut trying to please you all the time," Ben tried to reason.

"Only because I am your brother and they are trying to stick their claws into every facet of your life. Don't your think that's weird? Matt is such a social climber but is disgusting cause he tries to hide it. What does he do anyway really? At least Savannah is honest about hers. They are parasites. At this point you should be able to spot one a mile away."

I felt odd listening in on their conversation, so I began to walk away.

"How do we know Valerie isn't using you?"

I bristled at the sound of my name being in this conversation I felt I shouldn't have been in. It made me stop when I really should have kept on walking away since I had no business meddling in family business. It was quiet for a while and I could feel the shock through the tent.

"You don't even know her," Henry said quietly, warningly. "I know those two and they are just trouble."

"How long have you even known this Valerie? I've known Matt for three years and still you say the same thing. Didn't you just meet Val this year? A few months ago? You probably cut off contact with her like you do ev--"

"Watch it, Ben."

"If this is what your birthday is going to be like then I might as well not be here. I don't want to rain on your parade. So I'll do you a favor and leave with them--"

"Wait. I'm sorry." There was a long pause. "I worry about you. I've always worried about you. I'm sorry I wasn't there much. I regret it every day, but don't for one second think that I wasn't thinking of you guys every step of the way when I was away. All I had was a dream and a pen and the hopes that I could make our living situation better since Dad left. I'm sorry for taking for granted what that must have done to you."

The sorrow in Henry's voice broke my heart and I was shocked by how much I felt for him.

"I'm sorry I said what I said. I'm not ungrateful," Ben said ruefully. "I just feel like we've both worked so hard to have these lives and should enjoy it. We are starting to argue more than we ever have. We never argued. I don't like this.

"And when you keep questioning the people I hang out with, it's like you're implying that I'm too stupid to know who is a good person or not. We're both Mom's children and she taught us the best. I know who my real friends are and who aren't, just know that. Just because you see me around someone doesn't mean I wholeheartedly trust them. I know what I'm doing, trust me. That's all I ask."

A long pause followed. Then, Henry finally spoke.

"I'm sorry, bro. C'mon, let's go get them their drinks, else we won't hear the end of it from Lori."

Before they could see me, I decided to go to another tent to get some drinks for myself and walked about alone for a while, musing over their conversation. As I was walking back to the group,  I came across Henry, whose face immediately lit up when he saw me.  

"Hey, I was looking for you. C'mere."

Pulling me to him by the wrist, Henry kissed me as he wrapped his arms around my waist. The simplest move made me feel grand and so wanted and so beautiful. I could barely look him in the eye as the feelings infiltrated me.

"Henry, I don't do well with public displays of affection," I said despite the smile on his face as I pushed at his chest.

"Well then, get used to it."

His words confused me. What did this mean? I wanted to bring it up but I didn't want to ruin the day.

"You okay?" Henry asked as he combed some strands away from my face, which was probably showcasing a troubled expression.

"Yes, why?"

"You seem guarded, is all."

His words gave me pause, as I hoped I wasn't going to let my mother's words or the things I'd overheard between him and his brother dictate my entire day. Smiling, I wrapped my arms around his shoulders. "I'm not guarded at all. I promise."

My affections seemed to please Henry and he grinned slow before pretending to munch at my neck. It was ticklish and I yelped while trying to get away from him, but his hold around my waist was too strong.

"Okay. First order of business, there's about to be a concert that I think we should both go and watch."

How could I turn that down?

It seemed like when I was around him, everything was okay. I quickly forgot about my mother and stopped worrying about how much I had eaten. I felt so happy around him I forgot again how I may have looked. The small concert we watched was especially fun. Pat stayed behind to watch the kittens, which appeared to be the most exciting task of all for her.

The mini-concert was great but Henry and I ended up leaving a little earlier than everyone else to bid Dave farewell for he had something to attend to. After telling him goodbye, it was just Henry and I and we didn't return to the concert. Ben and his two friends had gone off somewhere and Lori was hanging with Pat as they watched the kittens.

The sun was setting and it was beautiful and we just wanted to be around each other. I enjoyed it thoroughly. I had never enjoyed doing nothing so much with anyone else.

"I keep seeing all this colorful smoke. Where is it coming from?" I asked Henry in reference to the large plumes of different brightly colored smoke rising from the sky, from where the mini-concert occurred.

"Oh that? Smoke flares." Henry explained, getting some from his back pocket. They were handed to us at the beginning of the concert and Henry was the one who kept them.

"Here, have one" Henry handed me one of the smoke signaling flares. I watched with keen eyes as he pulled off the cap from the bright orange one he held. A popping sound ensued and soon baby-blue smoke was floating up from his smoke flare into the sky of a setting sun.

"AHHHH!!!!!!" I screamed in delight at the artistry of the colorful fog, and Henry got a kick out of my reaction.

"Ohhh shit! It's so cool!" I beamed, simply admiring the one he gave to me.

And in that moment, I felt more at home that I could ever adequately describe. I didn't feel judged. I felt safe.
I felt amazed. I felt happy.

"Come on. Use it." Henry urged, then suddenly held his arms out with his head back and yelled out into the sky, "FUCK YEAH!!! I'M THE FUCKING KING OF THIS JUNGLE!"

I burst out laughing at him and his openness. His freedom and willingness to live life in the moment to the fullest as the moment could allow him to. For some reason that moment made me fall for him even harder. I couldn't understand it. I remembered George and how every moment seemed calculated, even the moments that seemed natural.

I glanced down at the smoke flare in my hand. It seemed like such a simple object, so juvenile. Maybe I was making more of it than it was. But when I uncapped the smoke flare, it seemed like I was letting go of so much in my life. I was setting part a constrained part of me free.

With it in my hand I was so jazzed by the pink fluttering up into the sky. My legs began to shift as excitement drove me.

"I don't know I don't know I don't know I'm freaking out! Fuck you Henry!!!!!"

I heard Henry's laughter in the background, and my adrenaline was racing through my veins and all of a sudden I started to scream at the top of my lungs.

"AHHHH FUCK YEAH PHYSICS, CHEMISTRY, MATH SCIENCE ALL OF THE ABOVE" I held out my hands above me, screaming in victory like I'd just climbed the tallest mountain, forcing myself to feel powerful just for those moments. "WOOOOHHHH!!!!"

He was laughing so hard he dropped to his knees, still gripping his stomach, then fell to his side and rolled onto his back.

He exhaled a huge breath and just lay there, looking up while shaking his head. "You've officially gone bonkers."

I too let my legs give and joined him, perpendicular to his body and  resting my head on his stomach and looking at the sky as well while both of our fallen smoke signals emptied. I soon felt Henry's hand in my hair as we watched the blue and pink mingling up into the vermillion sky.

Beautiful was an understatement. There were too many memorable moments in this day for me to contain.

"This has been the best birthday ever," Henry said and I smiled, hoping I had something to do with it.

"I'm glad, but I will still have to get you a gift."

"Don't worry about it."

"Do you share a birthday with your mom?" I asked, realizing I was giving myself away.

"How'd you know?" Henry asked and I explained to him that I heard it from that morning.

We talked lazily in this way for a few minutes and with every word, even if we were talking about the most idiotic thing to our intelligent conversations, I was falling hard and fast with him. Suddenly, I wanted to be alone with him and I wanted us to be intimate again. I couldn't get enough of him and how he made me feel. I never knew having a topic about things so unrelated could make me yearn for this man in ways I never thought humanly possible. 

In silence we enjoyed each other's presence until we heard Lori calling out to Henry. She urged us to go play on the rides before we saw fireworks. And it was so much fun. And so beautiful. It wasn't just Henry I had fun with, but I had fun with all of them. By then Ben had returned to the group and we were all soaked up by the bright night lights of the fair. Purples, blues, pink, yellow, green, this was the most enchanting night I'd ever witnessed in life.

Ben was running his way up through the group terrorizing us, and I only realized this when he got to me and gave me a huge kiss on the cheek. He and Savannah ran up to the line at the wildest roller-coaster in the fair.

Again I felt that sense of youth I'd allowed to get lost when I was little. As they all walked up to the roller-coaster line I stopped for a moment. I admired all the lights and all the smiling and happy faces on this July 4th. Then, I just closed my eyes and tried to embrace this moment when I felt so free and just so calm with myself. I think I could hear the waves from the ocean that wasn't too far off.

It was such a serene moment it almost scared me. A sense of inner peace that I had never quite felt. I was away from trying to find approval from my family and while I enjoyed the positive energy I felt from Henry's family and friends, for some reason that day I just felt liberated enough not to care if they accepted me or not.

In that brief moment, I  also felt proud for not purging up what I ate as a coping mechanism.

I felt strong and just…okay.

Suddenly I felt arms around my shoulders, drawing me closer to a warm, sturdy body behind me. Then I felt his lips on my temple as he hugged me and wrapped his scent around me. I completely let go. I completely gave in to the feeling of letting go.

I completely let my guard do.

Henry Walker.

I let him him.

I just smiled as I placed my hand on his arm as he kissed my cheek.

"Are you going to ride or what?" he said into my ear and I just smiled and placed my hand on his arm.

If I stood there longer taking in this moment, I'd end up bawling like a baby. I couldn't understand what came over me. So I just turned around and took his hand with me. Then, I began walking backwards, pretending I was a seductress as I eyed him with all the desire I felt within me to the marrow of my bone.

"You later, maybe…"

Henry's mouth dropped in genuine surprise. I started laughing and tried to run away from him but he easily caught me and kissed me.

We went on most of the rides. We even got into the bumper cars. We were having so much fun we nearly missed the fireworks.

I felt like a kid again. I felt happy. It may have been wrong. Overthought or mad or unrealistic. But that night I thought I was in love. With what, I don't know. With life. With myself. With this man that had just happened upon my life.

I was in love with everything and every moment.

When we'd all exhausted ourselves of the night, we got ready to watch the fireworks. In fact, we were late. We heard them in the distance and Henry grabbed my hand and started racing to the spot where they could be most viewable.

"Hurry up!" He yelled over the waves and fireworks in the distance. Without argument, I complied and tried to keep up with him. He was following his brother and the rest of the group up towards the fireworks.

We all came to a slow, realizing that we wouldn't be up close and personal to see the fireworks. But where we stopped was close enough for us to view the full display of fireworks. We were instantly taken by the fireworks beaming in the sky. Sparkles upon sparkles, winking until nonexistence but leaving trails of smoke. All kinds of colors filling up the sky and reflecting on us.

Something made me look at Henry, to see him with an appreciative expression as he watched his siblings' expressions as they watched the fireworks. Something in me was so moved that I became teary-eyed. His eyes soon fell to me and he appeared taken aback that I was looking at him. Embarrassed, I quickly looked away and focused on the fireworks. I felt his smile even though I couldn't see it. It was weird, but I did feel it.

He grabbed me and kissed me while the fireworks filled the sky.

After a while, I felt myself being hugged from behind, arms around my shoulders, and held me close while we both enjoyed the fireworks. My hands gripped the jeans behind me, pulling Henry closer. I felt so connected to him, even though I tried to deny it.

People around us cheered and it was just such a light positive moment that I never wanted to end. At some point, Lori handed some of us firework sticks, which were beautiful. 

I was extremely happy and that I wanted this moment to last forever. When it was finally all over, I thought that capped the day well. Henry excused himself to go talk with his siblings, leaving me with Rhea. We were the only ones watching what was left of the fireworks.

"I think you and Harry are good together," she suddenly said, breaking my concentration from the firework stick. She was gazing at her firework stick like she hadn't just said something so profound. When she felt my gaze, she looked my way and smiled, shaking her head at my surprise.

"I'm sorry about Pat, she really didn't know he was dating anyone. I didn't either. We didn't mean any harm."

"It's okay," I murmured. I was about to say we weren't dating but kept mum.

"I think you guys look like you belong together," she continued on, gazing at her firework stick.

"I really like him," I found myself confessing before I even realized it.

"He really likes you too, trust me. It's obvious."

I stared to blush and felt really good. Then I found myself confiding in Rhea a little bit.

"I just don't know where it's going. I don't have much experience with this."

"Try not to think about it too much for now. Just enjoy yourself." I nodded and she continued.

"Even if you enjoy yourself, just don't sell yourself short no matter what happens. I've learned the hard way."

Rhea's words had a very profound effect on me and made me feel good about Henry and I, although I was still confused about where it was going.

Everyone else was off doing their own thing, Pat with the kittens, and Henry with his siblings. Rhea and I ended up checking out some of the rides before she had to leave with Pat. Matt and Savannah were nowhere to be found, and I didn't really feel like hanging around them after what happened last time with Savannah.

Rhea and I exchanged numbers before she left with Pat, who told me Henry was at his truck with his siblings, so I trekked up the small hill with the kittens in tow. The street lights helped me find the truck quickly, and as I neared I heard them all talking.

"You remember the time Mom did this with us?" I heard who I thought was Ben. I stopped when I saw their feet towards the tail end of the truck. On the left side were tattered, off-white Converse shoes. Beside those were Henry's worn boots that looked about to fall apart at any second--he'd clearly walked in them so long. And beside his shoes were neat, doeskin colored loafers, the tidiest and smallest of all the shoes, obviously Lori's.

So this was what he used the mattress for. It warmed my heart and somehow made me fall harder.

"We should call her!" Ben suggested.

"Absolutely not. It's 4 in the morning," Henry said.

"Come on! We barely got to talk to her and it's her birthday," Ben countered.

"It was her birthday. It's no longer July 4th over there," Lori pointed out.

They were silent a while.

"It's been so long since we've all been here together like this. We used to all be so close," Lori pointed out quietly.

"We're still close…" Henry said, and soon the topic went back to reminiscing on their childhood, how even if they didn't have much they always had each other. I smiled and decided to give them the privacy they were searching for and sat on one of the benches by the parking lot.

While I sat playing with the kittens in their basket, I received a text. Henry asked where I was and when I told him I was close by and that he didn't have to come and get me, I went to meet them at the car.

I said goodbye to Lori and Ben, who wouldn't let go of hugging me until Henry pried him off. Lori told me it was nice meeting me and seemed genuine enough. Ben parted, still calling me by the nickname he gave me, and had to evade Henry putting him in a headlock because he wasn't having it.

"Don't forget, you have to feed them. They are still kittens you know. There is a cooler in that basket and they need their milk."

Disdain began to mar Henry's otherwise happy features and I couldn't help giggling at him. He shot his eyes at me and his features began to soften, though he tried to keep them unpleasant.

"What are you laughing at, Peaches? This is all your fault."

My laughs came to a screeching halt and Henry seemed to enjoy this. I played right along and stepped up to him. "What did I do?"

Henry quickly stepped up to me, making me squawk as I stumbled backwards as he playfully berated me.

"If you stayed home and took care of our kids like you were supposed to, we wouldn't have this wannabe social worker trying to tell us how to feed our kids."

I pushed at his chest and Henry's eyes lit up when I touched him, but I exerted more effort in my push till he stumbled backwards.

"Well, Apples, maybe if you didn't work so much we wouldn't be having these issues!" I shot back and Henry bit his lip as he eyed me with hungrily.  "You're so sexy when you're mad. Let's make up."

Unable to keep a straight face with him, laughter flew out of me easily which I tried to conceal with my hand. Henry was all over me, trying to kiss me all over my face and nipped at my knuckles to move my hand from my lips so that he could kiss me there.

"You guys are disgusting," Lori said laughingly as she handed Henry the kitten I think was called Peaches. Then she handed him a tiny, chilled bottle she'd retrieved from the ice box. "Here, this is how you should feed them."

"Now?" Henry damn near cried as he held the tiny, struggling kitten in one large hand.

"Yes now." She pushed the tiny bottle in his free hand. "I want to make sure you are doing it right."

Henry looked like he was about to bite Lori's head off. "Why would you give me kittens in the first place? They don't fit into my lifestyle."

Henry's comment made me uncomfortable, but I tried not to think too hard into it.

"I explained why earlier. You should have no problem since you bought a house here to settle down, right?  Anyway it was nice seeing you all. I'm tired so, I'm going to look for Ben and head out. Good night."

With that said I was standing before Henry as he fed the kitten milk. With its tiny paws, it grabbed the nipple of the bottle and sucked hungrily on it, settling comfortably in Henry's hand. Taking a seat at the edge of the truck, Henry thought it better for him to re-settle the protesting kitten into his breast pocket. The fitful kitten was quickly put at ease when Henry fed it the bottle once again, and he was so geeked off of it he looked like a kid at Christmas.

"You are a weird one," I said as I leaned by the side of the truck and watched him.

"Uh, I'm not going to sit at home and take care of the kids myself, woman. Get to feeding Apples, Peaches," Henry suggested, serious as all get out. I rolled my eyes at him but joined him nontheless, settling further up into the truck. With my legs crossed, I fed the other kitten.

"What a nice way to cap off my birthday. Feeding some kittens."

"Will you shut up about these kittens? You know you love them. I don't know why you named them after me and you. Do you know how confusing that's going to be from here on out?"

Henry simply smiled. He was sitting with his profile facing me now.

"Had you planned on doing anything else?"

"I was supposed to go meet up with some friends at a club down town."

I could feel myself frowning; watching Henry as he casually said the words while looking down at Peaches. I wanted to spend more time with him, but couldn't blame him for wanting a break. We had been around each other nonstop for hours and I did have other things to attend to.

"Soon as we get these suckers in bed, I wanted to show you something," Henry said, disrupting the silence. When we were done feeding them, we tucked them in their basket and rode with them in the truck. They were obviously scared by all the vast happenings of the day, but they seemed pretty comfortable in Henry's truck. We drove without any music, which was preferable, because we could still hear the distant fireworks which sounded better than any song at the moment.

We let the windows down and drove further and further away from the city to mountainous regions. Occasionally we would share glances and smiles, asking 'what?' and not being able to come up with an answer.

As we drove down the vast roads, we could see the last bursts of fireworks in the distance, and they were even more brilliant the blacker the sky became as we moved further away from the city.

Finally, Henry parked the truck next to a cliff. The view from where we were was breathtaking. We seemed to be above the few clouds available rolling over the many city lights down below. With the intermittent fireworks, it was one of the most breathtaking images I'd ever seen. He instructed us to get back out and we left the kittens sound asleep in the front of the truck, on top of the cushiony blankets Lori had kindly given Henry.

In the back of the truck, we lay on the mattress, the blanket pushed aside, and looked up at the stars against the blackened sky. The sky would occasionally be disrupted by some lone, random, colorful fireworks. The last ones standing.

"You have a beautiful family," I commented thoughtfully.

"This is what we used to do in my Dad's old truck. Put a mattress in the back and just watch the stars every night. It was like this before I moved."

There was a hollowness in his voice towards at the end of his comment.

"Moving must have been hard, wasn't it?" I asked quietly as I watched his profile. He seemed surprised by my comment, but didn't really respond. Feeling I had hit a nerve, I left the subject alone. We continued to stare up at the sky a bit longer.

"You know my brother said something to me today, and it's crazy how things come full circle, you know? How history repeats itself as well."

Him divulging this to me was a surprise. Turning to my side, I tucked my folded arm under my ear and listened intently to him as he continued.

"I remember after being in this industry and at a young age too, I wanted to protect him so fiercely from it. Every time he showed interest in it, I got uncomfortable because I didn't want him to get swept up by it. I wanted him to know that it was okay to have what most would call a regular job and still be happy. But I think the love for entertainment and music just runs in the men's blood in this family. I couldn't stop him.

"It scared me shitless. The things I had seen, I didn't want that for him. Sometimes I still don't. And he's so young. The success has come a little too fast. He's such a people person and everyone is pulling him in all directions. He's a people pleasure too much like me and I've had to learn the hard way how to set boundaries and say no."

"You will have to let him learn the hard way himself. Sometimes that's what it takes," I told him and he turned to look at me in surprise, his eyes a darker color but still gleaming. His features, dim from the night, were solemn and thoughtful.

"You're not a bad brother because he will have to learn some life lessons on his own," I continued on from my observations. Henry was still such a dotting brother to his siblings.

He smiled weakly at me, and then glanced back up to the skies.

"You know I think he still resents me for not being there majority of the time when he was growing up. We are still close and will always be close but even though he says he understands I think he still regrets those years we missed together. I was supposed to be there because my father wasn't."

He sighed heavily and I frowned, reaching out tentatively to touch the side of his face. When Henry closed his eyes in what seemed like calm moved his head towards my hands and kissed my knuckles, I knew he appreciated my touch. His kiss sent a rush through me.

"I was homeless for sometime when I was a teenager," he said suddenly, grasping my attention even more than he had before.

Chapter 18 pt 3 by notheruniverse

Chapter 18 Part 3



So much began to make sense now, but that didn't stop the shock from running rampant in me.

"What?" I finally breathed out as I sat up, looking down at him.

Henry quietly gazed at the heavens, his expression thoughtful, but a bit closed off.

"It's when I moved to LA to stay with my Dad for a bit. He wasn't particularly supportive of me trying to join the industry so young. It didn't work for him and he has always been bitter about that and I feel he always took it out on the humble, simple life he led with his family."

Henry gnawed at his lip quietly for a while, then spoke. "I could never understand him. I'm sorry." Then he closed his eyes in regret, laughing in self-deprecation. "I don know why I'm saying all this."

"I want to hear more about this. Please. I like hearing about this," I told him earnestly but the budding suspicion on Henry's face surprised me.

"You wouldn't tell anyone would you?"

I was very shocked by the question, and by his own guardedness, but was further reminded that Henry Walker hadn't shown me all facets of himself. Perhaps that happy-go-lucky friendly exterior was a shield in and of itself.

It was starting to make sense.

"Why do you think I would?" I tried not to sound so defensive and offended but failed. "Family business is very confidential. This isn't entertainment to me. It seems like you just needed to talk about it, so I figured I'd be a listener. I take family matters very serious."

"I'm sorry." Henry shook his head ruefully. "Since my brother's fame it's very hard to tell who is genuine and who isn't. People will try to glean anything from you for a quick buck, if not money, then fame."

"I want neither," I explained, feeling underhandedly accused. I almost felt like I did when Pat and Lori were sizing me up.

"I'm sorry," he grabbed my hand, making me realize I had inched away from him. "Please, don't pull back. I got a bit unsure because I feel like I can trust you so much and so soon. It catches me off guard sometimes."

"I think the dynamics of family are very complex. You want to talk about it with someone who is from the outside looking in, but at the same, you have this natural loyalty that is built into you that makes you overprotective over your family. Only you can talk about them but when someone else says the harsh truth about them, you feel very offended and and protective even." After I was done with my explanation, Henry looked amazed.

"No one's ever described it like that, but that's exactly what it feels like."

We were silent a while, watching our interlaced fingers.

"Are you okay?" I finally asked him quietly. Henry nodded and was quiet for a while before speaking.

"My father, I could never tell whether he loved us or hated us. He was a great father but only when we were hanging out. He is the one who shaped up my music style. I remember the first time I saw my father writing a song, it was storming outside and I couldn't sleep. He was still awake and I walked up to him, he was sitting at the table with his guitar.

"I told him I was scared and he called me over. I couldn't do anything to get over it so he said to me, 'Just write what you feel', and we wrote a song together. That was the very first time I wrote a song and that was the very first time I fell in love with music because I found this new, safe way to express how I felt when I felt there was nowhere to go.

"And how much safer to feel than to partake in something you enjoy with the person you idolize the most? But as time drew on, I think the honey moon of being married to a young woman died out fast and the reality of this life he'd never imagined began to settle in. He'd be a great dad around us but he'd say these things when around my mom. How 'I should have never married you. I should have gone off with the boys, lived my dream'.

"It wasn't long before he took the anger out on us. One day he caught me trying to play his guitar and got so infuriated, screaming at me. And we just started to see him less and less. He'd joined some other band, still trying to hold on to the previous dream. Finally he met another younger woman, the cycle began, and he left mom for her to be in the states.

"I will always hate him for that, but at the same time I didn't mind him leaving because the fights were a lot less in the house. As I grew up and learned that my mother would sometimes just take the verbal abuse and just take his mood swings much to our ignorance, because she didn't want us to see the fights.

"It still hurts her that we saw the fights, but I was glad they were over. His move to LA didn't give him that career he wanted. Finally got a job as a banker and I guess, finally found some peace. He reconciled with my mother and that's around the time I went to visit him for two summers. The first summer was okay, but kind of strained because I still hated him for what he did to my mother, but as usual, our undeniable love for music helped us reconnect. He taught me so much without even realizing it.

"My father is a musical genius, but that doesn't always equate to commercial success. That's the problem with this industry. There's so many talented people that will never be recognized or ever have the millions to show for it.

"I think he always regrets that first summer, because by the time I went back, I was obsessed with music, ironically because of him. And like I said, it's what I excelled in more than maths and the sciences. I was so eager to share my love with my dad and that I'd gotten some industry connections.

"I'll never forget how infuriated it got him. He told me that without a question I wasn't going to join the industry. And that was that, but I wasn't having it. Music was all I had. It's what helped me deal with my parents divorcing. I felt the gift into the world of music was the only thing my father had left me once he did leave. Not once did he help my mother and I, so who was he to tell me what I could or couldn't do?

"Then that's when he told me, either I gave up music, or left."

I frowned, watching hints of sadness, regret, and even anger on Henry's usually happy face.

"I'll never forget how selfish I was, I left without looking back. And Ben was there. Lori despised my dad so much she didn't come. But my dad was Ben's hero. I left him there. And that's when I was still working at getting a publishing deal with the label, so I worked odd jobs, slept on underpasses, it was horrible.

"I made enough money to call my mom and lied telling her I was at a friend's, as long as I wasn't at home with dad. And then that's when Ben dawned on me, but after what I witnessed on the streets, I felt he was better off at home, that is until my father's nomadic ways sprang back up and he was back to hopping from one place to the next. He sent Ben back home, and my dad and I have talked since and he told me Ben wouldn't leave before seeing me or knowing where I was. I didn't find this out till later.

"I think Ben always feels like I abandoned him, which I did. I got my success so early and even when I was finally making enough money to move my family to a better home, I was so caught up with these early riches and being competitive. I was there for him financially but emotionally…" His voice trailed off and he shook his head, obviously angry at himself. When I combed my fingers through his hair, he closed his eyes and seemed to relax. "And then when he wanted to join the industry, my immediate reaction was to tell him no. Didn't know I was being just like him.

"Luckily, we've both had a shot at success. I'm always so worried about losing everything that the mere thought of just staying in one place or anything constant scares me shitless."

I would have never thought someone like Henry battled with this kind of thing. He seemed so secure in himself and who he was. That's one of the reasons I'm sure everyone gravitated towards him, but everyone has their secrets. I wondered if his inability to be a home body had to do with being homeless and also watching a father that could barely sit still.

It's crazy how, in so many ways, we are our parents.

He took my hand from his hair and kissed the palm.

"I'm sorry, Val. I don't know why I am bothering you with this."

Although his face was upside down from my vantage, I cupped it and kissed the tip of his nose, then his lips as gentle as ever. I sat back up, gently touching the outline of his face.

"The hardest thing to do is to let go of the ones we love. One one hand, I can see why your father was very bitter. He was jilted by this world he wanted to be a part of so bad. And just the pain of failure, constantly, was probably something he didn't want you guys to face but he had no right to make you feel misplaced or unwanted or like a mistake. Look at all the people's lives you and your brothers are changing through your music. Clearly, you are a blessing to many."

I could tell he was blushing but looked away with a roll of his eyes to conceal it.

"Don't you look away from me," I teased while playfully poking his dimple. Henry caught my hand and quietly became somber again as he rolled interlaced his fingers with mine.

"How is your relationship with your dad right now?" I asked curiously and Henry seemed to struggle with that question for a while. I was about to tell him he didn't have to tell me if he didn't want to when he spoke up. 

"It's…never constant. That's one thing that's always been between my father and I. We can never just stay on the same page. One of us is always moving this way or that way. One day he'll say he's proud at me and the next he'll mock a pop song I made. But Ben, he dots over Ben so much and Ben soaks it all in because at the end of the day that's all he ever wanted, his dad. It disgusts me because I don't trust Martin. As much as I love him, I can't turn a blind eye. I think he is an enabler.

"That's why I'm of the thought that you have to be independent. You have to be an independent thinker and I think parents should encourage their children to make their own paths. If you are babied too much, you expect everyone to baby you and those who start babying you in the real world eventually want something in return."

I was shocked by how much the words applied to my own life, but pushed myself aside to listen to Henry. 

"I hate that Ben welcomes him so much in his life but that's his choice and I can't make him wary of his own father. I've warned him, pretty much about everyone. I may have gotten success first but the success of a songwriter behind the scenes is very different from an actual celebrity that's on billboards all across the world, one who's met the Queen and breaking all these records. The hype associated with celebrity culture makes people lose their shit, and there are so many leeches around Ben, I worry. He used to listen to anything I said, just followed my lead. I think he finally let go of me when I told him that he had to work on his craft a bit more before I could shop him around in the industry.

"Ben is very determined. People say we are both alike and that we are both very aggressive when it comes to our goals, but Ben is a firecracker. He took matters into his own hands, never looking for a hand out. I've never been prouder of him and my sister, but his celebrity has changed our lives so much. I just worry about him and the pack he hangs around. Can't fucking stand them. Have you seen that twat, Matt?"

"Henry," I muttered disapprovingly.

"He's a dick, plain and simple. He says and does problematic shit and he's so concerned with being a part of London's high society and I know for a fact he is using my brother. No questions asked."

"Problematic shit?" I asked.

"Yes. I don't like it, but Ben doesn't get it and just cause mainstream media doesn't make anything out of it, it's just a none issue. I can't make Ben see it. His problem is he sees the good in everyone. He can find the kindness in the evilest soul and he will learn a hard lesson about it. I used to be the same until I lived on those streets. Not everyone is your friend and for a global superstar not to see that is a dangerous thing.

"They feed off of the attention and love from strangers so they do anything to keep it and that is a dangerous thing. I have seen it happen to stars even older than Ben."

I could tell this worried him very deeply and it made me worry about him.

"You are predetermining his failure Henry."

It seemed even merely placing failure in the same sentence in reference to his brother made some signals go off in Henry and he shot a suspicious gaze to me.

"what do you mean?"

"You need to have faith in him."

He seemed to relax and I realized then how on edge his family were about his newfound fame. I guess they had to make sure not everyone was out to get them.

"I know him. He is a people pleaser," Henry stressed.

"But he's smart."

Henry couldn't contest that.

"And things may not happen the way you expect them to, that's life. He is an adult, he is no longer your baby brother," I told him.

"He will always be my baby brother."

"But he is growing into a fine young man. It would help if you talked to him, not down to him."

Henry eyed me, silently questioning what would give me that impression after only seeing them interact twice. I lowered my eyes from his gaze.

"I was looking for you earlier and I'm so sorry, but I overheard some conversation you were having in the tent. I didn't mean to eavesdrop. I wanted to wait for you to come about and then I heard my name--"

"He didn't mean anything by it."

"I know. My point is, he wants you to see him as your peer, not some foolish little boy that doesn't know any better."

Henry seemed to take my words into consideration. Then he randomly said in a guilt-ridden voice.

"The only reason I left, is because I was trying to make something of myself in order to help them..."

It was random and out of context with what I had last said, but I felt he just needed to say it. He needed someone to hear it. He still felt bad for it.

"You don't have to explain yourself to me. Or anyone. How long will you make yourself feel guilty for choices you have already made? You can't go back and…change it…" my voice tapered off because of how the words applied to me. Giving advice could be such a hypocritical act. We dish it all the time but can't take it.

"Valerie Jones…you are…"As I thought of my hypocrisy, the feeling of Henry's knuckles brushing against my cheek caught my attention. He was looking at me in wonder.

"You say all the right things. You make me feel so good inside. How do you do it?" he asked quietly and I lowered my blushing face. Henry tilted his head and kissed me. The kiss deepened and I was soon on my back with Henry on top of me, kissing me maddeningly. I started to unbutton his shirt while he kissed my neck.

"Roll over baby."

The words made me freeze instantly. I was all for sexual exploration with Henry but I would not do that. I remember the first time I did and how badly it hurt and how badly all the other times hurt when that happened.

Henry felt my sudden change and lifted himself on his elbows.

"I don't like it that way," I said quickly, nipping it in the bud immediately. Henry searched my face and I hoped the fear in my heart didn't show in my face. He lowered his head and gave me the softest kiss, it calmed me down so fast.

"I promise you it will feel good. I told you to trust me. I wouldn't…." Henry's voice faded and he took a deep breath, rolling onto his back.

"Maybe we shouldn't. I will end up hurting you anyway."

His comment struck me as odd. I didn't know if he was referring to that sex position or just in general.

"What?" I asked confusedly. He looked at me.

"I feel like you are so perfect for me but…" he shook his head, the words failing him as he looked away.

"I-I'm sorry. I'm just not fond of that position--"

"I'm not talking about sex."

Henry's words surprised me. "Oh."

He gave me a lopsided, weak smile.

"Are you sure you want me to pull the, 'you are too good for me' line?"

I shook my head for lack of anything else to say. I never thought underneath all his layers Henry had some insecurities about himself.

"How can you think of anyone else to good for you? You are a good person and you have fended for yourself and you are very caring and loving."

"The worst gifts come in the prettiest packages, my love."

I didn't know what to say. Something inside of me was telling me to run for the hills. Was this dude really crazy underneath all that suave exterior? As if realizing how cryptic he sounded, Henry shook his head.

"I'm sorry. Didn't mean to frighten you."

"You didn't. You are a bit confusing though," I told him earnestly and he smiled like he always did whenever I told him what I was truly feeling.

"Who are you telling? It's just that you make me feel amazing and I'm still reeling over how fast all of this is happening."

"I feel the same way, Henry…" I found myself unable to deny it despite how confused I felt. Our eyes locked and it was electric. Something just came over me when he looked at me like that, him thinking that he would hurt me be damned.

"Roll over for me and I will show you how you make me feel…I promise I won't hurt you. I'll stop if you want me to. Trust me."

I gnawed at my lip pensively. Before I knew it, I was taking off my shirt. Henry watched with enraptured eyes, like I was the greatest show he'd ever witnessed.

I was about to take off my bra when Henry stopped me, holding my elbow.

"No. I like this on you."

I felt so sexy when he said that, his eyes filled with desire as he ran his fingers over the wire of my bra.

I lowered my hands to my jeans and after unbuttoning them, then began to unzip them.

"Keep them on. I want to be the one to slide them off of you," Henry said, his voice husky as his hand felt my stomach. I squirmed because I was soaking wet for him. I wanted him inside me now.

"Lay on your stomach," Henry instructed next and nervously, I did as told.

I bit my lip as I felt Henry's fingers indenting into my hips while he snaked them through the waist of my shorts. He pulled them down but only halfway and sucked his breath at the image I displayed for him.

"God, you are so sexy," he sighed as his fingers run down the curve of my back to my shoulders and my arms, sending chills through me.

I jumped in surprise when I felt his teeth nipping the exposed portion of my behind before he used his teeth and fingers to pull the shorts till they rested right beneath the plump globes of my behind.

I moaned when I felt his lips at the base of my back down the curve of my back. He focused on my spine , then utilized his tongue to swipe down my spine. He got to my bra and I felt him pulling at it until it snapped back and stung my skin. I gasped. I was exhilerated

Henry continued to kiss his way up my back, hungry and chaotic, and I felt his hands sinking into the mattress higher and higher, until he got to the base of my neck. His kisses and touches were more urgent this time, like he was racing against time.

"Henry…slow down…" I murmured even though I was burning up and wanted him inside of me pronto. I wanted to make this moment last forever. I couldn't describe what this guy did to me. It felt like the world around me was shattering and building up all at once.

Wasn't it too soon for me to feel this way?

My heart began to slam at my chest, a sudden worry that I would never feel like this with another human being. Why was I thinking of this now? Why did he make me go mad so easily? So instantly? Just a few minutes ago we were discussing deep topics and calm in each other's presence, now I felt like I was burning up and climbing up the walls.

"I can't," he whispered as his hands grabbed my behind full in his hand and started kneading me in his hands.

"Damn…" he murmured under his breath and I bit my lip, feeling so incredibly sexy it hurt. I was throbbing painfully and squirmed accordingly.

Henry finally pulled the shorts all the way down my legs till they were off of me. I heard all his clothes coming off. I heard the familiar rip of the condom wrapper and trembled with excitement and desire. Then, I felt the mattress shift as he mounted me. I held my breath and closed my eyes as I felt him parting my legs and settling between them.

With his hands on my hips, he lifted me off the bed and smoothly entered me, in a painfully slow pace that seemed to singe my brain. His dick sleekly entering me surprised both me and Henry by how soaking wet I already was for him. The deeper he plunged, the more my fingers clawed into the mattress. Chills went through me and left me exhilarated by this new position. I just felt more of him like this and he was brushing against newer spots. Dizzied with my mouth parted, I can't believe how many hours I had gone without him inside of me.

I was now a certified Henry Walker fiend.

Valerie…" he swore my name over and over while we both savored the exquisite feeling of him locked in my silky, cushiony walls with his steely member within me. He felt so good.

Henry moaned and held my hips as he was seated deep inside me, his thighs underneath mine. He seemed to enjoy savoring the moment for too long and I grew impatient. Because he had already made me feel so sexy and confident, something in me made me start to rotate my hips, working my walls around him. I cried out and bit my lip from the sensations this created, and Henry hissed behind.

"Please Henry…hurry…"

"Shit!...Valerie…" his voice trembled in amazement. How shameless I had become for this man was beyond me.

My head dropped as pleasure overtook me. I was so turned on. I forgot about past fear. I just wanted more. I was insatiable and started moving back and forth, wanting Henry to thrust into me.

"Fuck…" he gritted, gripping my hips and began thrusting into me, gradually rising up to a faster thrust.

Our bodies were coated in sweat, our skin sliding against each other's. There was a desperation to our fucking this time. It was described in the sounds we were making, the swears. I never thought I'd have sex with a guy out in the open. Oh god if we got caught.

"I love this ass baby. I love all of it. Fuck. I love y…" Henry's voice tapered off and I moaned into the mattress. Soon I felt his weight on my back and cried out at the deeper angle his closeness brought.

"You are mine. Right now, you're mine," Henry groan, parting my legs further as if wanting to get deeper in me. If that was even possible.

"Oh god…Henry…" I gripped the closest things next to me. His shirt and the mattress. I bit the shirt, trying to bare him being in me.

Suddenly Henry stopped the jerky thrusts and started to roll expertly slow into me, grinding his hips into me so that I could feel every portion of his dick. It was heaven.

"Tell me you're mine," he panted into my ear and all I could do was moan.  He parted my legs even further and rolled into me with more precision, deeper

"Say it."

His hands were back on my hips as he lifted me up to him and ground.

"Yes. Yours," I said, my body weak from heat and pleasure.

"All of you. Say it, baby. I want all of you…" Henry struggled to say as he continued to roll real slow into me. A tear dropped from my eye from how good all of this was.

"I'm yours. All of me…yes…don't stop…harder…please…"

Henry muttered another expletive as my words seemed to make him lose it.

"On your knees." I obliged with every last ounce of strength I had. "Good girl."

He picked up the pace, smashing into me. I was gone, back to biting his shirt. So hard until it ripped but that seemed to only excite us both more.

I liken making love, like really making love, to being drunk. You are open. You are possessed. You say things you wouldn't under normal circumstances.  If I was reading what I said or heard what I said through someone else's ears and eyes, I would either roll my eyes or laugh from second hand embarrassment. Yes, I knew we sounded silly, but all that we could do at that moment was feel.

Not think.

Just feel.

When you are making love to someone, really making love to them, you are just lost in that world. It was chaotic. It didn't make sense. But in that moment I didn't mind saying those incoherent, albeit troubling, and even immature, and embarrassingly corny words.

I had just laid down with this man yesterday after not seeing him for a month, and tonight, I was his. I was proclaiming something I swore on my life I would never allow myself to say to another man after George.

But it was so good. It felt so blindingly good that I wasn't scared by the feeling or thought of it. That's what happens when you completely let go. I had let the beast out, I could feel it as my heart raced uncontrollably him confiding in me and trusting me had done something to me that night. I had completely submitted to Henry Walker once again.

No guard.

My words had already driven Henry off the edge. He held my hips hard and I sought for him, closing my walls around him whenever he was in me and milking him for all he was worth. I felt him shuddering behind me as he came with a loud guttural sound as if his soul was being pulled from his body.

Henry collapsed over me, making my knees give. He breathed hard as he reinserted himself into me as he came and I welcomed the weight pinning me down to the mattress that was no longer just the mattress where he finally opened up to me. Everything we touched was no longer just a thing anymore. Fireworks were no longer just fireworks. This pickup truck was no longer just a pickup truck.

All of these items lost their original, banal meaning when I met Henry. He was so all encompassing, or at least I allowed him to be, that I couldn't see certain things the same.

He started to move off of me but I closed tight around him, making him groan as I reached for his arm and kept it around my waist.

"No," I protested softly as I felt his breath still catching on my shoulder. He kissed that portion and surprisingly, stayed there where he felt like he belonged, his heart still causing a racket on my back.

When things finally quieted down, I could hear meowing in the front of the truck. My fine hairs spiked and I looked over at Henry, who appeared to be fast asleep.

"Apples and Peaches don't sound too happy right now," I commented only to receive a muffled grunt from Henry.

"I knew they would get scared Henry."

"You go check on them," he said sleepily even as he wrapped his arms tighter around my waist.

"Excuse me, sir, I didn't cause this."

"Yes you did. You tempted me." Not only could I hear the smugness in his tone but I could feel his cheeky smirk too. I rolled my eyes at him and disengaged myself from him much to his dissatisfaction. I sat up to see that he had draped his shirt around our midsections and I wore it to conceal my nakedness and when unable to find my flip flops, settled for Henry's boots.

I caught Henry's sleepy grin and said drowsily. "You look massively sexy in my shit. Maybe I should lend you my wardrobe?"

"Shut up," I said blushingly and went to check on the kittens. They were visibly shaken within the carrier, especially Peaches who was curled up in one corner.

"Aww, come here babies," I said as I gently scooped them up in my arms, sustaining a scratch from an untrusting Peaches.

"Look how scared she is," I whispered to Henry when I resettled with them in the back of the truck.

"She'll be fine. Come back here."

I slapped Henry's hand away and placed the kittens in between us, petting them until they calmed. Peaches was too curious, especially about Henry, and wouldn't stop sniffing him and walking about him. When she kept on going for his hair, Henry lifted her and settled her beside her sister, where she finally walked around and slept. Soon, she curled up next to Apples and settled down.

"You can take them back now. I want to be inside of you again." Henry's lustful eyes made my clit twitch but I figured we had had more than enough for one day.

"There's plenty of time for that in the future Henry. I'm all yours for later," I said unthinkingly as I draped our midsections, never really realizing he made no comment to that.

He reached out with his hand resting heavily on the curve of my hip and we both fell asleep with Apples and Peaches tucked in between us.

******

I woke up to the feeling of something munching my hair. When I cracked my eyes open, I realized that one of the kittens was up. I distinguished them by Peaches having one grey paw and one white, as opposed to Apples having both grey paws. Apples was still fast asleep and I gathered Peaches in my hand, wincing at the rising sun permeating gold rays at us. Henry was still fast asleep. I took his checked shirt to wear it, only to reveal his majestic body. He had a good case of morning wood as well. I clamped my thighs together to try and contain the arousal that quickly began to overtake me. After letting Peaches walk about the truck in curiosity, I was glad I did because she chose then to relieve herself. Better on the grass than in the truck and I made a note to do the same with Apples so that she wouldn't make a mess.

After making sure she was fed with the dry cat food Lori had kindly placed in the carrier as well, I sat around with her at the edge of the truck. She was very fitful and crawled back to Henry, so I continued to sit at the edge of the truck and watch the sun rise.

This had been such an unimaginable weekend. It was something I needed because I was charged back up to get to work. For some reason, the past few days' happenings gave me more motivation to continue perfecting my resume and making my next steps for game coding. I decided now I'd be fine with a few days' break from Henry and I'm sure he agreed. I was not going to make the mistake I made before and make the guy I was seeing every part of my life.

I was so caught up in looking over work emails on my phone that Henry's voice startled me.

"Good morning," he said gruffly as he placed Peaches off of him while grabbing his jeans. I bit my lip as electricity shot through me when I witnessed his hard-on and quickly looked away. But not before I didn't catch the cocky smile as he stood up and pulled his jeans up over his hips, his dark messy hair falling over his face. He looked so good with the rising sun hitting him, his colorful tattoos highlighted.

"Hey," I said, trying to play off casual while I looked at my phone. I refused to admit to him that I wanted him inside of me again…and so soon. Had I become an addict? Or perhaps it was just because this was all still new and exciting. 

I tried to contain myself when I felt him sitting behind me. His muscular legs bracketed mine and he wrapped his arms around my waist.

"You should have left those heathens in the front so that I could fuck you again."

I know I shouldn't have been so turned on by how brash he was being but that alone turned me on. Especially considering that it was coming from Mr. Nice Guy.

"Henry," I murmured as I tried to move away from him, pretending I didn't want it.

"I want to fuck your pretty body again. Right now."

I was burning up as his strong hands run up and down my naked thighs, which began to part with a mind of their own. Fuck.

"Are you always this romantic in the morning?" I said sarcastically but was left biting my lip when Henry's fingers slipped into the opening of my folds, which became increasingly wet with each word he spoke.

"It's working, innit?" he said throatily into my ear.

"What do you wanna have for breakfast?" I asked breathlessly, trying to get us moving on from this constant sex. It wasn't a good thing, right?

"This." Henry's middle finger nudged my opening while his thumb brushed against my clit. I threw my head back into his shoulder, gripping his thighs. His other hand closed over my left breast and squeezed gently. 

"This."

"Oh god…" Without really realizing it I started to rise and fall on his hand, making him groan deep into my neck.

"That's right babe…take your time…make it wet for me…"

I bit my lip as another shudder went through me. I was about to ask him to stop talking. It was doing something to me.

"I-I have to go back home. I have so many errands that I've put off…"

"Okay." Henry stopped and without thinking I grabbed his hand and placed it back there. Henry kissed the side of my neck as he slid two fingers halfway into me and rubbed.

He sucked in his breath when I started pulling motions, drawing his fingers deeper. Henry suddenly slid his fingers out despite my complaints. When I felt him fishing for something in his pocket, I knew that he was getting the condom.

"Stand up for a sec," Henry said and I obliged. I heard the jeans he just wore falling to his ankles, hitting my shins. Then the condom ripped . With my back facing him, just hearing all these erotic sounds made it all the more exciting.

When Henry sat down and I almost did, he held my hips to still me. He made me part my legs so that I was standing with his legs in between the space mine made, with my still facing away from him.

"I want you to sit down on me real slow," he murmured in his gravelly deep voice that sent shivers through me. Holding on behind me to the edge of the truck, I did as instructed, getting more turned on by him guiding me with his hands on my hips, his thumbs pressing into my lower back.

My breath caught as I felt the bulbous tip of his dick, making Henry groan deep as I painstakingly welcomed him into my body.

"Perfect," Henry practically slurred when I was fully seated on him. Henry began circling his hips while in me, making me dizzy.

"Mine…" he whispered on my nape before flicking his tongue on the spot he spoke on. I sighed and gripped his hands.

"Roll your hips for me a little," he instructed, his lips close to my ear. Shit. Every time he said 'for me', I just lost it. My vagina closed around in in response to the shiver that went through me from his words and Henry jumped. When I finally caught what was remaining of my senses, I began to undulate my hips with him lodged deeply in him. An elongated groan with desire rose up out of Henry. I lived for it.

"Mmm…there you go baby…So good…."

His encouragement was mind boggling. Explosions were going off in my body. I felt delirious. Adrenaline was rushing. Before I knew it, Henry lifted my legs and planted my feet on either side of him. I was filled with so much pleasure I didn't even question him.

"Move up and down for me."

The way he was making me feel, I would do anything for him. Without complaint, I began to rise and fall, crying out at the exquisite feeling.

"Ugh….Valerie…"

I thought I slammed on him too hard, he had groaned like he was in pain. But continued his upward thrusts, using his hand to bring me back down to meet his thrust.

"Don't stop. Keep going," he coached breathlessly. Desperately. Like he needed the pain. Holding on to the ledge of the truck, I continued on, rising and falling onto his hard shaft, feeling liberated and aroused beyond belief. I could feel just how wet he had made me by the slurping sounds and wetness around his groin and thighs every time I sat on him. It felt so good I got experimental and closed down around him every time he was deep in me.

"Fuck!" Henry swore and held my hips tightly now with both hands. I continued the motions and this seemed to drive him mad. He wrapped his arms tight around me and seemed to be trying to regain some kind of control with his thrusts, but we were both on a mission to be the winner to please one another. Henry came soon after, power fucking me, jiggling the truck. When it was over, I let my limps collapse, the back of my head resting on his shoulders and my legs now dangling on either side of his. I tried to catch my breath, listening to the birds chirping and a plane flying over us.

"I can't get enough of you," I confessed drunkenly, regretting the words as soon as they came out. What the fuck was I saying? I wasn't thinking straight because my body was still tingly and warm. The sun was still rising, glaring at Henry and I.

"Thank you," I said after laying on him for a while.

"For what?" Henry asked sleepily. I stood up off of him with a sigh and turned to face him.

"Giving me one of the best days of my life."

Henry smiled as he held my waist and squeezed. "You deserve the best. You don't seem real. You make me suspicious."

For a second there, I didn't think Henry was joking despite the humor in his jade eyes. I felt like he was being weird but maybe this was how he normally was in the morning.

"Lesson number a thousand about Henry Walker…he talks a lot of shit in the morning."

"That's why I think…" he went on as if he hadn't heard me.

"You think what?"

Henry and I held each other's gaze until he just closed his eyes and pressed his forehead against my collarbone. I run my fingers into my hair and kissed the crown of his head.

"Are you ready to leave?" He asked as he suddenly stood up and gently put some distance between us.

"U-Um, yeah. Here you go," I took off Henry's shirt and handed it to him after he was done lifting his jeans on.

"K. Let's get going." As he sat down to put his shoes on, he felt the kittens, who had rounded next to him and were sniffing his him. "Really. Wont they leave me alone?"

"They love you already."

Henry simply shook his head and stood up. I put on my clothes in the back of the truck and after getting a hold of the kittens, Henry closed it up and we were back in the front.

This time he put music on, playing it a bit loudly, so we both couldn't say much. I lived about an hour away from him, so the drive was long and pretty silent. We stopped by a fast food joint so I could use the bathroom and get something small to eat while we continued our drive. Henry barely touched his food but I figured it was because he was focused on driving.

We finally got to my place, which he had found easily when he'd put the address in his GPS. When we were out of the car and I started for the house, Henry grabbed me and pulled me back to him. He was now sitting against the front bumper of his truck with me in between his legs. In my hands were the shopping bag with my old clothes and my purse. I was tempted to invite him in, since I had seen that Ella wasn't around, but something told me to cool things down. But standing in front of him, his body heat so next to mine, was already making me yearn for him. 

"Someone hurt you, didn't they?" Henry abruptly asked me and the question struck me so hard I froze and my smile wavered.

"Huh?"

"Someone hurt you."

A bird chirped and the sound of a car passing by sounded as we stared at each other quietly.

"W-why do you say that?" I asked with a feeble smile to mask the sudden anxiousness that crept over me. I searched my brain as Henry simply just looked at me. "I-If you're referring to that position, it's just cause I had never done it before a-a-and" I lowered my gaze. "I just didn't know what to expect but I felt really safe around you and I really enjoyed it."

I suddenly felt very nervous. Very exposed. I could feel Henry looking at me but refused to meet his gaze.

When all he did was pull me closer by my waist to kiss my cheek, and I blushed so hard I covered my cheeks. Henry chuckled and kissed my forehead. I covered my forehead. He chortled again and kissed my lips and I covered my lips. He shook his head at me but he was smiling so hard the dimples in his cheek were deep.

He then pressed his forehead against mine with his eyes closed and I naturally fell into step with him doing the same and closing my eyes. We just embraced this quiet moment together, just listening to each other breath and feeling each other's warmth.

By the time we pulled back I was exhilarated, and a bit overwhelmed by all the feelings Henry was giving me, and when I looked at his expression I saw he was a bit intimidated too. I don't know what it was, but I felt him inching away and locked my hands around his nape, smiling at him. Henry seemed surprised at first but covered it up by pecking me lightly. His shoulders relaxed a little, but he was still a bit tense.

"How about you take Apples and I take Peaches?" he asked suddenly after eying my lips, his hands smoothing down to my ass and squeezing. I lifted my eyebrow at him.

"You really hate these kittens, don't you?"

"I have a piece of you when I'm gone, and you have a piece of me." He said simply and while I should have rolled my eyes and asked him to go on somewhere, his words unfortunately made me melt. I should have protested, I know I should have, and the responsibility of a pet wasn't something I had planned on, but I loved those kittens and I welcomed this.

"Okay. You're not just doing this to lessen the work load of having a kitten right?"

"I have seen that you are really fond of them too, that's also why I offered but you don't have to."

"You know you'll have to be home to take care of her."

"It's just a kitten," he muttered somewhat irritably and I wondered if it was because everyone was giving him crap for it. That didn't stop me from being caught off guard by his remark.

"And I will take care of her, yes," he went on as he released me. I went into the truck to get Apples, feeling a bit guilty.

"Do you think it's okay to separate them?" I asked worrisomely.

"They'll be fine."

Henry leaned down to kiss me and I smiled, holding Apples as she clung onto my shirt.

"Bye. I'll call you," I told him confidently. Fearlessly. Unguardedly.

"You take care," Henry said, leaning against the car again with his hands in his pockets. God, he looked so good with that morning hair and the bright sun on his face. And that dimple. This man did me in.

"Okay…bye…" I said, waiting for him to get in the truck. He didn't. "What are you waiting for?"

"I want to see how I changed your walk."

My mouth dropped and Henry laughed. With blazing cheeks, I scowled at him, which he got a kick out of. I pocked my tongue at him only for Henry to do the same, and continued my walk to the condo.

"I'll call you, you crafty bastard!" I joked again at the door with a wave and Henry gave me a nod as he rounded the truck to the driver's seat.

Little did I know that was the last time I would hear from him for four weeks straight. My calls and texts went unanswered.

But I did see him, happy and lively on the Internet with that charming, inviting grin all for the world to see.

And it hurt way more than I ever thought possible.

I played myself for a fool yet again.

And Henry Walker had played the game very well.

QUESTION by notheruniverse

i have a question and I don't know if it will be noticed as clearly in the reviews. I know the story is ultimately mine, but all your input is greatly apprecaited and insightful. I have enjoyed reading your analysis of these characters. They are not cut and dry which leaves them open to a lot of interpretation.

Just opinion-wise, do you think one chapter in Henry's POV would ruin the overall flow of the story? In the end it is my choice, I know, since I know where this story is supposed to go, but I was just curious what you all thought about seeing things in his POV for one chapter. I might make that a side story, but I feel one chapter in his POV might make things a bit clearler. the only problem is that a chapter in his POV might maek the expectation for more chapters in his POV, and the voice/flow of the chapter may drastically change.

All opinions are welcome positive/negative/neutral.

I will delete this message in a few days.

Chapter 19 by notheruniverse

 

changed how it ended to how i had it originally.

Chapter 19

 

"I wanted to personally congratulate you on this project. We are actually thinking of submitting this project to Harnes Korage. It might actually qualify for an award. It is being noticed by the industry at large for its innovation. A lot of the younger culture has taken notice of it. It is being referred at large on that picture blog, Imblr…"

 

I could not remember the last time my father eyed me with such fondness and admiration. His eyes were filled with a level of pride that I was not used to. I wished that I could bask freely in the look, because it is a look that I had always yearned from my father, but for some reason I couldn't openly accept it. The look only reminded me of all the other times I went above and beyond to get that look of pride in his eyes. Now it just filled me with resentment.

 

All I could do was look back at him in the blank way he stared at me whenever I tried to show him some kind of emotion.

 

"Thank you," I said in a voice deprived of any inflection and a face as blank as unused paper.

 

"You have really worked harder than anyone I have known over the past few weeks and your hard work is paying off."

 

I forced a smile and nodded.  I had worked hard. Functioning on four hours of sleep just to make some sense of some code to make an assigned robot do something. Implementing all my years of learning programming into doing something

 

How could I not enjoy words that I had wanted to hear all my life. My father seemed a bit taken aback by my unenthused reaction.

 

I had worked hard for this project and I was proud…but it was just not me. But it was my fault for still being here. I'd focused on this project at the behest of all else.

 

And please, don't get me wrong. My whole life had not become worthless because Henry Walker was no longer in it. I always tried to convince myself that I successfully separated my personal life from my professional and educational. My professional and education achievements had always been in their own realm, on their own plane. What I couldn't deny was how my disorganized personal life sometimes would drive me to meet my professional and educational goals, to the exclusion of everything else.

 

When I didn't say much, my father pressed, "What do you have to say for yourself?"

 

The last time my father asked me this was when I graduated 3rd from one of the top colleges in the country. It wasn't first but it was good enough.

 

"Not much. Is there anything more that I need to know today?" I asked, not feeling comfortable with all this attention being allotted to me. It was too unnatural. And you know what they say: we fear what we don't know.

 

My father seemed a bit stunned by my curtness and business tone. After years of begging and begging to be informal with him, I just gave up. I'd given up on a lot of things emotionally for the past few weeks and it had made me quite the hard worker.

 

"You can go ahead and take the rest of the day off," he said next, surprising me.

 

"No need. I have to get some work done."

 

Taking the day off wouldn't do me any good. I needed to keep busy. I was the worst person to give time. It would make me think too much. Thinking too much would make me depressed.

 

Being depressed would make me binge.

 

My father assessed me for a long while and dare I say it, I saw a hint of worry in his eyes. Then, he finally nodded, wearing his detached, professional mien. The face that I was used to.

 

"Okay. If that's what suits you," my father finally said.

 

I hesitated to stand up, as I always did whenever I knew there was a drastic change to my body…or at least a change I deemed drastic. 

 

But when I did get up, I focused on the folder in front of me and crossed the plush carpet for the door.

 

"Is everything alright?"

 

My father's words struck me hard and made me pause. I looked over at my father, who had an uncomfortable expression on his face. He cleared his throat.

 

"You have been working very hard and it seems like you are not giving yourself time for anything else."

 

I had to do a double take. Not he, the proverbial workaholic, telling me that I didn't have time for anything else.

 

He seemed to have realized his hypocrisy, but I knew what he was getting at, so I voiced it.

 

"I know I've gained some weight," I muttered, trying not to succumb to the feeling of disappointment deep inside of me. "I'm working on it."

 

All work and no play also made Valerie gain weight. I overate under stress. I'd gained about five pounds in the last few weeks, give or take.

 

He appeared surprised and widened his eyes for a brief moment, only to sigh and shake his head.

 

"That's not what I meant..."

 

I know I shouldn't have made an issue of such a question that seemed trivial to most. Well, it was probably a question that wasn't so trivial cause everyone wanted to hear it at some point in their life.

 

The only problem is I'd wanted to hear this question so much from my dad for so long. I'd dreamed of being able to confide in him about things I couldn't tell anyone else. The problem? He had never truly asked. Probably realizing the error of his ways as my hurt probably showed on my face, my father looked away. I wanted to let it go. I wanted to seize this moment and tell Dad everything. But, it was Mr. Jones at work, and, to be quite frank, I didn't trust him.

 

"Funny you only ask me this after I accomplish something in your company. Do you remember what happened the last time I tried to tell you what was wrong? You told me to seek therapy and that you weren't equipped to deal with whatever it was that had me so distraught. So I'm sorry, nothing is wrong, Mr. Jones. I'm perfectly fine. I exceeded your expectations at work and have done all that was expected of me and more. My personal life should be of no concern to you and I will contact my therapist accordingly, as previous advised by you. Thank you for finally asking, though."

 

Seeing how closed off and guarded he began to get, I turned away from him. Silence met my back as I exited his office. I felt a bit petty and childish. Maybe this was the moment of truth and maybe my father and I were finally going to let bygones be bygones, but once bitten, twice shy.

 

The day I went to my father crying about what happened with George was the day he stopped me before I could say anymore and told me to seek therapy.

 

I wouldn't risk that reaction again.

 

 

****

 

 

After meeting with my father, the dreaded lunch was right around the corner. I was dreading it because I'd lost control over all my emotions and my bad habits were on the hunt, like vicious beasts that had to be restrained the majority of their lives because releasing them would only lead to distraction.

 

The beasts were ferocious that day.

 

As I walked out of the building, I felt a pang of hurt and regret that maybe I shouldn't have shunned Dad like that when he was trying to help. I was only going to prolong the healing process that I once thought would never happen between he and I. But the other part of me, the angry sad part that wanted control, refused me to go back and lap at his feet, begging him to forgive me for not forgiving him so fast. And then for some reason every other mistake I'd ever made in life resurfaced in my brain.

 

I needed a distraction. A strong one and now was the wrong time. I ended up at a fast food joint, already deciding that I was going to take my dad's offer and not go back to work, and I ordered more food than I knew I needed.

 

On the drive home, I ate, scarfing down a burger, hoping the sharp taste would distract the inexplicable pain piercing my chest. When I got home, I ate some more, thankful that Ella had finally moved in with Peter. He had proposed to her on July 4th weekend. Did that have something to do with the feelings of dejection within me? Probably. But a part of me was glad that she no longer lived in the condo with me. I could continue my habit freely and unashamedly in the heaven and hell of my own abode.

 

I thought of Mom and how concerned she was when I returned from July 4th. Those following days I was still in the honeymoon stage, oblivious to the fact that him not responding to the first text I sent to him since we parted--a text about Apples--was the beginning of no contact from him. Of course, Mom questioned me about 'that biker boy' she met on my birthday. What stuck to me most about this incident was that I felt Henry and I had connected so much, I felt him telling me about his father meant he actually trusted me, so I did something I normally didn't do with my mother--I talked about a guy I liked.

 

This was a breakthrough, and also something of a catastrophe for my mother.

 

'Clearly, dear, you can't be falling for him so fast. Have you known him long?"

 

My mother didn't know the nitty gritty details about Henry and I of course, but she knew me well enough to know that a mere mention of a male meant something serious.

 

Throughout my life, I had learned harsh lessons that forced me to keep my crushes to myself. There was a guy in high school who was nice to me, a handsome star athlete. You know, the typical. And he was that one darn thing that always got me--he was a nice guy. But when I started to show signs of liking him and word got around that I did, he started to ignore me or let it be known that we would always only be acquaintances and nothing more. There was also his friends making fun of him for being liked by a fat pig like me. I learned from then on that when I crushed, I crushed silently.

 

I also didn't want to seem dumb or delusional telling my friends who I liked with them encouraging me only for them to say behind my back that I needed a reality check.

 

As the weeks drew on and my mother checked on me, I played it off that things were still fine with Henry and I even though by then I knew he was done playing with me. I didn't want to prove her right, that guys like him could never settle down or take someone like me serious.

 

In my high-spirited state, I'd given Ella a few details when I'd returned from hanging around Henry but thankfully she was so caught up with her engagement she didn't nag me too much about it. She'd simply said that she was happy for me. 

 

Now I was the one that looked like an idiot.

 

In the living room of my condo, I ate and ate, trying to stuff my heart and my soul to drown out the pain that coursed through my body. A tiny Apples curiously sniffed the burger wrapping paper around me.

 

I stuffed my face until I was filled, and full, and no longer felt empty. But due to my weakness, I now felt like a failure. I did this to myself yet cried foul to the world every time I felt lonely, uncertain, and confused.

 

When I was done engorging all the food, I sat there feeling like crap. I felt so pitiful.

 

With a sudden burst of desperation, I raced to the bathroom and collapsed on my knees in front of the toilet. I leaned over the toilet. I winced, clutching my eyes shut and mentally apologizing to the fighter in myself. I opened my mouth as tears streamed down my face and I jammed my hand into the onslaught, my fingers going down my throat.

 

I made myself throw up.

 

As with all bad decisions, we try to rewind the clock to erase the choices we've made.

 

That is what throwing up did for me. For a brief, pathetic second, it gave me a false sense of control, of redemption almost, like I was reversing this mistake, hurling all this bad food that filled me like demons. It was an exorcism of sorts. The deluded thought that throwing up was somehow expunging the devil from me. That throwing up was subtracting the calories I'd already ingested.

 

I felt that temporary sense of power and release, that I'd somehow been my own superhero and prevented a disaster.

 

But underneath all these pretenses were my suppressed feelings. That unrelenting anger towards my father, sort of a 'take that' to him, somehow an ode to him and his emotionless parenting. The beast in my belly was growling at him that he had created this monster.

 

Only, what followed those thoughts and feelings was the harsh truth, that no one can break you unless you let them. Even when forced into doing something you don't want, underneath it all, isn't it our own choice whether we allow ourselves to be broken or not?

 

Now crying silent tears, I sat against the wall with a heavy thud.

 

As I sat there, holding my pounding head in hand, wondering where my life had taken me, I came to another harsh reminder that I'd been enlightened of during my therapy. It wasn't my father's fault. Or my mother's. Or my siblings'. Or George.

 

At this point, at 27, it was my fault.

 

I knew what life was like without binging to cope with my emotions. Therapy had helped me learn about self control. But there were times in life when you just got so broke down that you relapsed, and relapsing was worse than having ever been addicted to something in the first place. Relapsing made you think that recovery was obsolete.

 

It was painful because it stuck you in a rut. Was addiction to this behavior a disease? Or, was it simply of my own conviction and doing? My lack of self control and discipline? My lack of strength as an adult human being that had issues with being an adult and taking responsibility?

 

Was I truly a slave to my weight or was I just enslaving myself?

 

I could blame the men that had broken my heart and society's standards of beauty all I wanted, but what about all those people that had been through what I'd endured and worse but still managed to end up as responsible adults who didn't run to all sorts of dangerous means to handle their issues.

 

After brooding for what seemed like hours, I flinched when I heard a small meow followed by some warm next to my foot. It was Apples, sniffing about and meowing to me for attention.

 

Looking at the kitten made me smile tearfully, and somehow made me feel a little bit better despite the situation. That I wasn't alone. I hate how it made Henry cross my mind.

 

After petting Apples, I finally picked myself up off the floor, undressed, and stepped into the shower. When I was done, I flushed the evidence of my throwing up and brushed my teeth. Then I changed into my gym clothes and got ready to go for an all-too-intense work out, still trying to correct the wrong I'd done to my body.

 

While waiting on the water of my green tea to heat in the microwave, I made the biggest mistake and took a look at my laptop.

 

I attempted to check e-mails but was distracted by the homepage discussing the 'perfect bod' of a popular celebrity who'd lost pregnancy weight quicker than one could blink. I succumbed to the pop culture obsession, clicking out of curiosity and teeming with envy once I saw rock-hard abs and a stomach devoid of stretch marks.

 

I knew Photoshop was probably to blame but this particular celebrity was known not to have any. While it depressed me, it also gave me motivation to try and reach that potential. My laser surgery to remove the stretch marks was now a month away. I was looking forward to it, but at the same time, I didn't even know. I was just about to click off the page when I spotted the name Ben Walker on the sidebar of the popular celeb-gossip website.

 

Curiosity got the best of me and I clicked on the link. Some silly story about him dating someone. Another story on the sidebar of the page had Ben and Henry's name in the title. My heart unfortunately skipped a beat.

 

The Teen Music Awards had been the previous afternoon and the article said something about them showing brotherly love of some sort.

 

Seeing those green eyes now filled me with too many emotions, but unlike usual, they weren't smiling. He was more brooding, his usually smiling mouth forming a straight, unemotional line. Paps called out to him incessantly as he swept his eyes from camera to camera. He was physically present but clearly mentally elsewhere. It was a very quick clip, because he was just a songwriter/producer and not one of the young starlets, but he was mentioned a bit more when he was spotted with his little brother, Ben.

 

There was a look of guilt on his face that I couldn't understand, all while Ben spoke excitedly about he and his band mates being at the event. There was a point when the frown on his face was so deep and troubling that I became alarmed. I nearly reached for my phone to text him but felt a deep pain within when I remembered my attempts would go unnoticed. I think my number was blocked and the pain that ripped through me was unbearable.

 

And anyway, I no longer had his number in my phone. Neither did I have any of our old texts. It had killed me to delete them because I had read and reread them the first time he disappeared from me. Those were what kept my dreams going.

 

Shaking my thoughts off, I got my green tea and headed out to the gym.

 

When I finally got done exercising, I saw I had a missed call from Ella and a message.

 

"Hey boo I'm so sorry. I miss you so much. I've just been so busy with the moving and all the changes. Peter and I are having an engagement party soon and we'd love it if you came. We really do need to catch up. Love you. Muah."

 

I listened to her voicemail as I made it into my car. The warm summer afternoon was getting to me and I couldn't wait to go home, take a shower and just relax.

 

"Valerie?" I heard and sighed to myself, not in the mood to chat today. When I turned around, I was actually happy to see who I saw.

 

Chase Fallon.

 

"Chase!" I beamed as I instinctually opened my arms up for a hug. He smiled his gap-toothed smile and swooped me into a hug with his round arms.

 

Chase and I were the same height. He had a large frame, with a beer belly, short stockily legs and a round, bearded, adorable face. We held each other tight, as we had not seen each other in a long time.

 

He was the one friend I made in the 7th grade Spelling Bee I took part of, the only other black participant in the competition. He won and I was runner up. We'd remained friends all throughout, meeting up again in high school. Chase was extremely smart and while he could come off as a bit awkward and even a smartass sometimes, he was an awesome guy. He'd asked me out plenty of times but I'd always shied away from the idea, sighting that I didn't want to ruin our friendship when in truth, he just wasn't my type.

 

He wasn't my type, and I couldn't believe I had the nerve to even think of that. Who did I think I was? To stand there thinking about 'type' and 'looks'. That was probably part of the reason I was still alone. Chase was a good guy. He was cute too. But I just wasn't physically attracted to him. He had to have all these unrealistic qualities that in the long run didn't mean shit. Queue in Henry Walker. All those stereotypical, 'standard' good looks hadn't given him any redeeming qualities in the long run, had they?

 

The only thing about Chase was, he was just one of those opinionated, smart people that thought it was their way or the highway and that their high IQ gave them room to think everyone was wrong.

 

"Hey, Chase? How are you?"

 

"I'm good," he habitually pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose. "I'm back in Tilden. Got a promotion and I'm working here. Head over my department so I'm real excited about that."

 

I widened my eyes in surprise. "Wow. Head over your department and not even 30 yet? You go boy," I said good naturedly and he grinned wide.

 

"Well you know, sacrificed and worked hard. How about you? What have you been up to?"

 

We caught up shortly and after exchanging contact information were about to go our separate ways when a thought crossed through my mind.

 

"My cousin's having an engagement party in two weeks. Would you want to come as my date? It will be fun, plus, we haven't hang out in a while."

 

I mildly regretted referring to him as my date from the way his eyes lit up. I didn't want to give him any false hopes but then again, if we started small, who knew where it would lead? He really wasn't a bad guy and any way, I needed to hang around different people to see what else was out there.

 

"Of course!" he beamed excitedly. "Tell me the time and the place."

 

I smiled at him, hoping this would be a new beginning, proud of myself for trying to turn a rather dark day around.

 

If only I knew.

 

 

*******

 

2 weeks later

 

I guess after you hit rock bottom, the only place to go is up, unless you wanted to stay at the bottom. After my binging episode, I gathered myself together and had a pretty good week.

 

Chase and I had just arrived at Peter's place, where he and Ella were hosting the engagement party. It was a pretty good turn out and the parking lot was packed.

 

Chase and I had started talking again during the week. He told me he was still interested but I told him that we should just keep things at a friendly level. Had I not just gotten through what Henry and I went through, I would have been willing to talk with Chase in that way but there was so much I had to start taking care of with myself.

 

I needed to get my relapsing in order, and would be seeing my therapist in a few days as they had been on holiday then out of the country on business for the past two weeks. Chase was a good sport about it and didn't hold a grudge. He was on time to pick me up for the party and when we got there, I was in good spirits.

 

I'd be lying if I said part of my good mood had to do with me being sure that Henry wouldn't show up. I'd asked Ella to ask Peter--albeit casually--if he knew whether Henry would show up.

 

'Don't you have his number?' Ella had asked me confusedly over the lunch we'd had earlier that week. I told her Henry and I were truly just acquaintances and since I had changed my phone and number that I hadn't kept his. She reported back to me that Peter had just shaken his head, "Who knows with him? Probably not. He started one of his disappearing acts again. I might not hear from him till the end of the year, for all I know. But hey, that's Henry for you."

 

Peter had been curious as to why Ella was asking, but she said she was just wondering and that's when Peter asked her to ask me since me and him were 'talking', but Ella gave the same excuse that I had changed my phone and number. She said Peter had made a strange face but said nothing more of it. I wondered if he already knew something but didn't press about it. Honestly, I was over the whole situation with Henry, or at least trying to be, and wanted to move on with my life.

 

My father and I were back to business as usual and nothing more was said. He didn't pursue my odd behavior the previous weeks and I was glad for that. It's like I'd been conditioned to appreciate his ignoring me more than his pretending to be a concerned father.

 

It was nice to see some old faces and even some new ones. I was having a really good time with Chase when, like a train wreck waiting to happen, I heard a howl of excitement come from the entrance of the bungalow house.

 

Most people looked to the source of sound and my heart plummeted to my gut when I saw the cause. There in the flesh…Henry Walker.

 

He had on a huge smile on his face that made a bitter knot ball in my throat for how warm and fuzzy it made me feel. The dimple on his cheek made my limbs weak and for a second I was wondering how one human being could make me react so strongly just from being…alive. I gripped the glass that I was drinking water from tighter to keep it from slipping down my suddenly fragile fingers.

 

His curls were pushed away from his face, making his bright, friendly eyes more visible. Those eyes felt like daggers piercing through my soul. He was breathtaking, as usual. His tall, broad shoulders were highlighted by a stark white t-shirt, which made the tattoos down his muscular arms more pronounced. His long legs were covered by black jeans and he had on some different boots, still worn out like the others.

 

Seeing him in the flesh petrified me. All of a sudden my feelings had scattered like untamed animals that were now racing the wild with their owner no longer able to harness them. I feared my sudden lack of control.

 

I no longer knew how to control the situation. I could no longer predict how the night was going to go. Images of him and I intertwined flashed through my mind and my face grew hot with embarrassment and shame as that even crossed my mind as a possibility. How fucked up had I allowed him to make me? My entire body was burning and all of a sudden as I looked at him I could remember the way he looked at me with lust and desire.

 

He had come in with two other friends that seemed to know Peter as well. I felt like they had just crashed the party, making it less formal than it was. Most people at Peter's party were formally dressed but Henry and his friends looked a bit different from everyone, like you could tell they weren't all part of some corporate lifestyle.  They seemed more lax to the suit and tie atmosphere around us.

 

As he was greeting Ella, she pointed in my direction and I nearly hightailed out of there. When his eyes fell on me, his entire demeanor changed. His smile faded away as did the light in his eyes.

 

For a second there I felt like I was looking through a mask and seeing the real Henry Walker.

 

It was so strange. Those were the same eyes I'd seen when he was talking about his father and his past, dark life.

 

My heart shot to my throat and Henry, usually with his bad posture of hunching his shoulders when he walked, was standing straight as he looked at me. His eyes were wide and his entire  appearance was stripped to the bone and for a moment there he looked like a young innocent boy that was defenseless.

 

So many thoughts crossed my mind. What I really wanted to do was get up out of there in a huff, because all kinds of riotous feelings were spiraling through me, but that would be letting him govern my emotions too easily.

 

I fought, God knows I fought hard, to plaster a smile on my face and wave.

 

Henry was taken aback and blinked in a stupor for what seemed like an eternity.

 

I had to do this. Not just to show him that I was okay, but to show myself that I was okay.

 

"Look at all those tattoos. He looks fucking stupid," Chase said from beside me but I couldn't respond because the world around me seemed to deteriorate into something meaningless. I know that I was stupid for suddenly being so enraptured by this drifter of a man, but there is no sense lying about how I reacted the moment I saw him.

 

"Give me one second," I told Chase as I stood up and walked over to where Henry stood, waiting and just staring at me like caught in a trance. Each step was struggle, me walking up to him, confidently. Henry looked to be holding his breath as I approached him. The moment seemed to last an eternity.

 

When we were finally standing face to face, I felt like I was looking underneath all the layers of the guy I thought was so barefaced and honest when I first met him months ago. The heartbroken, guilty, and vulnerable look on his face was what lay under the masquerade that he smiled at everyone with.

 

This expression on Henry's face was the same one I saw whenever I was younger going through my own trials and looking at my own reflection in the mirror. The true face of a broken person.

 

But…a part of me, the wounded part refused to allow me, at least for that moment, to make excuses for him. I had seen that look on another face and I refused to fall victim to it.  

 

I put my feelings first and could feel so  much anger within me. There were so many things I wanted to say to him. I wanted to call him all the names in the book. Remembering the stupidity and pain I felt when I'd see him on the internet--one set of pictures in particular he was at a fashion show sitting at the front and had arrived, stayed, and left with a slender model a few years his junior.

 

I wanted to slap him and I wanted to tell every woman at the party that was already ogling him that he wasn't shit and wasn't worth any of the trouble. I wanted to publicly humiliate him for what he'd done to me.

 

But somehow I found this eerie calm within me. I think it was the desire to appear unaffected and strong. The desire to appear as an empress that didn’t need any validation or any emotions.

 

I felt all powerful and in control for having walked up to him with a smile on my face, without batting a lash and without letting him know how I felt.

 

Through hard work I remained calm as I witnessed traces of guilt as he blinked elsewhere.

 

"Valerie…hey…I…" He struggled to hold my gaze, but I beamed brightly at him. Ella had already been stolen away from another guest and for that moment it was just Henry and I in existence in this world.

 

"Hey Henry. I just wanted to come and say hi. Why do you look so troubled?" Fuck. I shouldn't have said that. Henry bit his bottom lip as shame ravaged his features full throttle.

 

He started scratching the back of his head. "Valerie--I…we need to ta--"

 

"I just wanted to say hi and see how you've been doing."

 

"I've been doing horribly…" he murmured so candidly, his eyes filled with so much pain and guilt I nearly faltered. But I also nearly rolled my eyes. I couldn't believe how pathetic he looked in front of me.

 

I remembered when I was binging and the fleeting thought that Henry was someone I could confide in without the worry that he would betray me and make me feel small about it. I can't believe how dumb I was.

 

"I'm sorry to hear that. Well, it was nice seeing you. Thank you for your time."

 

I was walking off, the adrenaline in my veins rushing so vastly I began to shake slightly.

 

It was like a lightning bolt when I felt strong fingers wrap around my wrist to stop me and pull me back to him. The action seemed to make his scent wrap around me like a whirlwind and I was dizzied as I remembered this scent vividly as he told me profess that I was his while he was embedded deep within me.

 

I flinched, knowing his touch so intimately that the mere friction of his finger prints sent a jolt through me. Why didn't I react like this when anyone else touched me?

 

I whipped around, breaking my resolve and letting my vulnerability show.

 

"Let me explain. Please."

 

"There's nothing to explain," I bristled, feeling the cold and anger spreading through me like wild fire. I couldn't help it. I was convulsing with anger, so much that my voice shook as I murmured lowly trying to contiant he pain within me. "You have some nerve…"

 

"Hey, is everything okay?"

 

Shock is what must have let Henry loosen his grip on my arm and I pulled it safely to my own body.

 

Henry looked passed me in confusion, then his eyes dropped to my waist where a hand was snaking securely around.

 

Henry tilted his head and squinted as he ripped his eyes from my waist up to my face and back down to my waist.

 

The irritation that flickered through his eyes and the spasm that went through his jaw surprised me, but the look quickly vanished.

 

A darkness began to settle in Henry's pained eyes and soon there was nothingness. I literally saw the bolts lock into his eyes, the windows to his soul. His eyes simply swung back to me and he stared expectantly, chewing on his gum in that nonchalant cocky manner that I'd seen made many women weak in the knees.

 

"Everything's fine, Chase," I explained rashly, the rushing in my veins making my voice quake and more high pitched than I'd have liked.  

 

"Chase, this is Henry. Henry, this is Chase."

 

Henry looked at me inscrutably before turning to Chase with that charming smile of his. A chill went down my spine. How could someone switch like that.

 

"Henry. Henry Walker." Henry held out his hand to Chase.

 

When I looked over at Chase I saw that competitive streak that always pushed him to puff out his chest at the highschool jocks. He could be very defensive when he felt threatened.

 

Chase put his hand in Henry's. " Chase Fallon. Not really nice to meet you. I don't like the way that you grabbed her hand."

 

Henry's eyebrows narrowed and while he didn't look pissed he looked speculative as he lifted his chin while he assessed Chase. Suddenly, Chase stifled a grunt, gritting his teeth in what seemed like pain. I glanced down at their hands and the system veins protruding up Henry's arm made me wonder how tightly he was holding Chase's hand.

 

"Henry..." I murmured and as if snapping out of it, Henry finally let go of Chase's hand and Chase let out a sigh of relief, flexing his fingers, all while Henry complacently clasped his hands behind him.

 

Henry looked my way, a menacing, burning look in his eyes as he watched me. "I'm sorry, Val. Or should I say, Valerie."

 

I gulped hard, feeling a tad uncomfortable, shifting my weight from one leg to the other. Maybe I should have just stayed away. Fuck.  

 

"I didn't mean any harm," Henry suddenly said in his charming tone as he averted his gaze between us both. "I hope you both enjoy your time. And Valerie?" He took my hand, bent at the waist and kissed the back of it. "Thank you for your time as well." He looked up at me with a smirk. "Best time of my fucking life…"

 

I didn't know what to say to him and felt Chase stiffening behind me at Henry's vulgarity. I snatched my hand away from his and rigidly held it to my side, loathing the grin on Henry's face as he straightened.

 

"What's wrong, Val? Why so troubled?"

 

Suddenly an arm hang around Henry's shoulder. "C'mon man, come watch us take a couple of shots."

 

 

"I think I'll have one myself," Henry said, all the while holding my gaze.

 

Peter's face lit up. "What?!" Peter looked over his shoulder at their group of friends."Guys! Fucking Henry is going to have a fucking drink! Bring on the Fenden! It's about fucking time yo!"

 

Henry was suddenly dragged away and he gave me one last, unreadable look before being ushered off to have a drink with his friends.

 

"What's wrong with him? He is kind of weird," Chase said, then got a hold of my wrist. "Are you okay? He held you kind of tight."  

 

"I'm fine," I muttered.

 

"How the hell do you even know someone like him?" Chase asked as he led us back to the couch we'd occupied previously.

 

"Through some friends."

 

Chase shook his head. "You should stay away from guys like that. They think they are so big and bad, thinking life is a fucking Grease or West Side Story movie but they are just children who never grew up. I get bad vibes from him."

 

I felt numb as Chase and I sat back down where we were. Everything going on around  me seemed like a dream and I was just floating by. I felt very strange about Henry's behavior and didn't know what to make of it. For several moments I was mad at myself for entertaining thoughts of Henry. From that point on Chase seemed to keep a tight leash on me. Whenever I'd glance Henry's way, he'd grasp at straws to catch my attention, going so far as to hold my face and make me look at him.  

 

I was not the only woman that kept on looking at Henry. While for me it was due to his bizarre behavior, I knew the other women were enraptured by him. There were already two women by his side vying for his attention, which they didn't have to vie for too long.

 

What struck me though was he wasn't trying too hard to show that he was having a good time. It all seemed very natural and just so…him.

 

It wasn't surprising to me that Henry and his friends were the life of the party. They were all the hipster kids, dressed in the latest fashion that most of us conservatives couldn't understand. I don't know why I found this guy so fucking attractive with his over-tattooed self and messy hair.

 

I tried to focus on Chase but I couldn't help but focus on Henry and his friend having a good time. When I assessed his group of friends, they were all different kinds of guys and all looked different but were enjoying each other's company. The song in particular was a popular one that I wasn't really familiar with, but about a woman not being faithful to the guy. Normally I would have found the guy stupid but I couldn't take my eyes off of him as he and Peter were being silly singing the lyrics about the girl that couldn't be faithful, doing whatever the latest dance was.

 

They knew how to have a good time and I found myself envying them, wishing I could be a part of their crowd. This is how I felt whenever I watched the cool kids, the jocks and frat boys in high school and college.

 

"C'mon. Let's go dance," Chase suggested. I wasn't up for it but I didn't want to let Henry control how I enjoyed myself or lived my life. I had already decided that this was the last time that I would ever interact with him. There was just too much going on and I didn't have time to try and figure him out. Clasping my hand around Chase's, I allowed him to lead me to the dance floor and we both danced with our drinks in hand. In due time I actually put Henry out of my mind and started to enjoy my time with Henry.

 

"C'mon. Let's go have fun," I said with my arms wrapped around Chase's neck, but hated how I noticed a notable difference. It felt different. I missed the feel of locks caressing my hands, the feeling of green eyes searing into me and the feeling of huge, secure hands exploring my lower back and hips.

 

And I know what you're thinking. Have some self-respect. You're not ready to move on. Trust me…I know…

 

But when you, as a human being, are caught up in the moment, you don't know how you are going to react. I rubbed my hands over Chase's face, only to see a smile that I knew that in due time I would become fond of and like.

 

If I had known that simple, affectionate action alone would unlock a plethora of issues, I'm not sure if I would have done it. Yet, at the same time, I was somewhat glad that it did release every withheld lot of emotion.

 

A song that I particularly liked came on and I danced with Chase. I was actually enjoying myself dancing on him and enjoying my drink, forcing myself to forget the outside world. I refused to restrict myself just because Henry was there. I tried to tell myself I didn't care that he was there. I hated that deep down inside I wanted to prove to him that I wasn't bothered.

 

Chase and I decided to take a break to get another drink. We were holding hands, stumbling and laughing as we went to the kitchen counter where drinks were being served by Ella's brother, who was a bartender at one of the local bars.

 

Of course we coincidentally came across Henry and the two girls that had been hanging off of him. I tried to ignore the jealousy that filled me when I saw him with them.

 

Chase, who was also in good spirits, chose that time to say something smart to Henry, who had smiled at us kindly but hadn't said much of another word. I noted the beer bottle in his hand and why it was so significant to me was because I had never seen him drinking. In all the time I had known him, which I guess hadn't been that long, I hadn't seen him drink.

 

Ever.

 

And it's strange that I took note of that. There was that time at my friend's party that he dj'd at but I don’t remember him being inebriated.

 

Hell, I even noticed the first time--and it stuck out to me a lot--that he didn't take one sip of the PainKiller that I ordered for him. And that time we went to the club he partially owned, The Tavern, and didn't drink at all. Yet now he was having beers and shots left, right, and center.

 

I may have not known Henry that much but it seemed so unlike him.

 

He held up his beer bottle to us in acknowledgement and continued talking to the women that flagged him.

 

I was bothered but curbed my emotions as best as I could. We were from different lives and realities and we would never coincide as one and it was time for me to accept it.

 

Though here was that nagging part of me deep down inside that wished I had never met him.

 

"Having fun?" Chase asked and Henry nodded.

 

"Pretty fun. How are you two doing?" He asked even though he didn't look once at me. I guess this is just how things would be from now.

 

"We're good. I'm sorry to say but, dude! Why the fuck did you get all of those tattoos? No offense but it looks stupid."

 

I shot Chase a disapproving glance.

 

The Henry that I knew would have been good natured about it, made a vaguely smart comment but just let it go.

 

But that's not what happened that night.

 

Instead, Henry raised his eyebrows and gave Chase a warning look that made me shift uncomfortably. I wasn't use to that look from Henry.

 

Chase, who was emboldened from a few drinks, continued on.

 

"I mean they just look fucking dumb right now. Like what the fuck made you get them? They look dumb. I remember guys like you from way back when. You live in the moment and don't give a fuck about the future."

 

When the friendliness on Henry's face vanished, and when all Henry did was look at him, Chase thought that the best moment to keep going.

 

"Chase--" I tried to stop him, but he wouldn't listen to me.

 

"You're going to regret all those tattoos when you get older. All that laser surgery you're going to have to do. I'm glad I wasn't that fucking stupid like you fucking punk, emo, guys."

"Chase!" I chastised him, but it was too fucking late.

 

"You're gonna regret that fucking smart mouth of yours in a few seconds when I get done knocking out a few of those sorry, rotten teeth of yours."

 

I looked at Henry like I was looking at someone else. I should have tried to diffuse the situation earlier.

 

It was too late.

 

"Dude, it was a joke…" Chase tried to alleviate the situation when he realized he messed with the wrong one. He'd probably taken Henry's laid back persona at face value. In fact, I knew he was surprised that Henry wasn't immediately antagonistic to him when they first started talk. I knew his mocking Henry had to do with him sensing that something was going on between the two of us.

 

Not only was Chase in for a surprise by Henry's reaction, but so was I. He'd stamped his beer bottle on the counter and faced off with Chase.

 

"Fuck you. I know how fuckers like you are. Don't try to play me for a fool, mate. You have been trying to get a rise out of me the whole fucking night. I may not be a science hobknocker like you but I'm not that fucking stupid."

 

Chase and Henry were now facing off, with me pushed off to the side.

 

"Since you wanted to take it there, I think now would be the perfect time to let you know that I been having a problem with you that I been trying not to let out for the entire night. And it has to do with me. Get your bloody hands off of my bird." Henry sounded so antagonistic for a second I wondered if it was really him or not. When I rounded his tall frame to stand by Chase's side, the look on his face was even more appalling than his voice. His eyes were fiery, thick eyebrows drawn together and mouth in a hard line.

 

I looked about in genuine confusion, even though in all honestly, I shouldn't have been shocked. But was I really at fault? I hadn't expected Henry to give a damn much like last time. He was off doing his own thing most of the night. He had seemed okay and honestly I was a bit proud of myself for not worrying about him too much.

 

"Excuse me?" Chase asked, confused. At first I was in so much disbelief that I didn't budge or say a word. Perplexed, I eyed Henry, wondering who I was looking at. Never had I ever seen him so hostile and unwelcoming. Not even to those 'leeches' he claimed surrounded his brother like moths to a flame.

 

"Did I stutter? Or was that rude? Okay, could you please get your fucking hands off of her," Henry's deep voice rumbled from deep in his chest, sounding courser than usual.

 

His body was taut and overbearing, veins bulging as he stepped up to Chase's slightly shorter, rounder frame. Henry's muscles seemed to swell and his hands were balled in fists that were intimidating. He looked much like a fighter then, towering over Chase's humble frame. I became increasingly uncomfortable the closer Henry got. I remembered him mentioning he got into kickboxing and suddenly it didn't just seem like his past time it seemed like his sole profession and goal in life.

 

"You have your hands on the wrong woman," Henry told Chase darkly, his long dark lashes framing green, grim eyes. He was looking as though he was holding onto the last ropes of patience just for Chase's sake. Henry and dark just didn't go together. It wasn't so much that he appeared scary but the fact that him looking so menacing seemed so unlikely was what was scary to me.

 

"…what…" I murmured amid all the commotion, my limbs weak with discomfort and a hint of fear that I wanted to tamper down. The fear I usually felt towards Henry was different from the fear I felt now. Normally, I feared the strong hold I allowed him to have over my emotions.

 

But now…deep down inside, I was fearing him as a person. Wondering if this was the other side. His true nature. I was trying not to hypothesize that those nice guys, those blithe and bright guys that seemed to have a light about them, were truly really dark. Because extremes only attract extremes and that bright lights only cast big, black shadows.

 

Nice guys had bigger secrets, I'd learned the hard way. They were especially nice because they were trying to hide something. Was this what Henry was trying to hide about himself?

 

"Who the hell are you, first of all?" Chase asked in contention, stepping up to Henry despite Henry's soaring height. I tried to pull Chase back to me but, already filled with adrenaline and heated, he roughly wrung me off, sending me stumbling back a few feet. My stumbling only ignited Henry further. His eyes widened quickly then narrowed dangerously as he pushed Chase at his chest,  sending Chase a couple steps back. A few gasps rose from the now watching crowd, me included.

 

"Get your fucking hands off of her..." His voice rumbled, a smoky, simmering sound that was seconds away from overflowing. Stepping up to Chase holding up his index finger as if to count onel, Henry continued admonishingly. "I already said it once. I'm not going to repeat it again. You are not allowed to touch her. She is mine and she said so herself. Do I make myself clear, you fucking plonker?"

 

My heart thumped warningly in my chest, as seeing this antagonistic side of Henry was too much of a shocker for me to bare. And him saying I was his brought up a vivid memory that only spurned and made me feel stupid when I thought of it now.

 

I finally galvanized into action, trying to get hold of Chase's hand and leaving.

 

"Oh my god, Chase, I'm so sorry about this. Let's go-" my voice was drowned out as Chase contemptuously stepped closer to Henry. They were almost nose to nose.

 

"Who the hell do you think you are to talk to me like that?" Chaes scoffed. "You look like a fucking twelve year old. You dress like a fucking little boy and you are acting like one. Grow the fuck up."

 

"Because I'm not suited up like you, eh?" the smirk on Henry's face was so sinister it made me want to hide. He looked too much like a villain for my liking. I think I'd associated him too much with positive things that I couldn't stand this other side of him.

 

"Because I decided to make music and not the fucking nine to five?" Henry continued and for a second I didn't even think he was talking to Chase. Something about his words seemed so misplaced. "Because I was actually successful?"

 

"Yo, Henry." Peter, who was behind Henry, tried to speak, but Henry shrugged him off so violently Peter staggered back and seemed surprised as well.

 

"Henry!" this time Ella stepped in.

 

"You look like a damn fool and Val would never be caught dead with you." Chase challenged and I knew it had to do with his own past vices and demons. "I don't know why you are worried about her."

 

Henry laughed, a cruel, cold laugh that sent a chill down my spine. It was an arrogant, belittling laugh. "You have no fucking idea mate..."

 

"You're a fucking drunk and probably sleep with the whole town and can no longer tell your women apart. Valerie wouldn't.  I know your type. Just leave us the fuck alone. Clearly, you can't take a joke."

 

The laughter subsided, and a dangerous flicker went passed Henry's eyes and asked Chase in a tone that dared him to even answer. A dangerous flicker went through Henry's eyes. "What did you just call me?"

 

"Did I hit a nerve? You're a drunk? Alcoholic?"

 

I was just about to step in. Something in me told me he was about to attack. And I think Peter felt it too, for he too caughta  hold of Henry's arms.

 

"We're leaving. Back up, Henry, we're leaving."

 

"You don't know what the fuck you're talking about you asshole! Who do you think you are to put your hands on what's mine?" Henry began to ramble, struggling against Peter. "You came out of nowhere. Bug off you spineless, insipid, bastard. She belongs to me. I don't even know where the fuck you came from." Henry snarled.

 

When I saw that Chase was getting intimidated and obviously scared by Henry's overpowering physique, I truly began to become disgusted and even a bit scared of Henry.

 

"Stop it Henry…" I said, my patience thinning, not really knowing how to handle this whole situation. Henry seemed to have heard me this time when he spoke and his eyes shot to me. I hated how I shrank behind the gaze. I hated the sordid memories they brought.

 

"And you?" he asked me pointedly, accusingly. He had successfully pushed Peter off. The look in his eyes was so dark, so intimidating I winced when he first cut his intense green eyes to me. "What the hell are you doing with him anyway? Why are you even with him in the first place? You are mine, you said so yourself, you are not supposed to do shit like this."

 

I couldn't believe my eyes or my ears. I was about to pull the hairs out of my head. I didn't have the patience for shit like this.

 

"You are such an asshole Henry Walker. Oh my god…" I shook my head with my hand over my mouth and started to walk off when I felt my eyes stinging with tears but Henry tried to stop me. Peter stopped him from touching me and Chase stepped in front of me.

 

"Get him out Peter. Get him out!"

 

"What do you mean I'm an asshole?" Henry went on, having snapped. "I fucking love you. I'm fucking in love with you and you're fucking totting him around like he's some fucking prize! How the bloody fuck do you think that makes me feel?!"

 

All I could do was stand there and stare at him in shock as his scent wrapped around me. Fuck…

 

"Henry, chill the fuck out man--" Peter tried to intervene, but Henry shook his head stubbornly.

 

"No. No. She knows." He looked directly at me. "She knows I'm in love with her. She knows it, I know it. Never in my fucking life like this Val." He scowled as he stepped back, an untrusting man that had a tight lid on all of his emotions. "It's all your fucking fault. I was safe before I fucking met you. It made sense before I met you. I had it all figured out. I knew how to control this shit--"

 

Peter folded his arm on Henry's chest, having to use all his force to push Henry back, yelling to try and get to him but Henry's eyes remained latched on me. "Shut the fuck up. Chill the fuck out!"

 

"Everyone, I'm sorry but the party's over," Ella murmured, her voice shaky from anger as she started to try and round everyone up.

 

My eyes widened and I was holding my breath when I froze, his loud voice the only sound save the gasps that went around in the room and the back ground music. Henry's nostrils flared, his shoulders rising and falling as he breathed hard. His green eyes were intense, and angry. But what struck me was how confused they began to become. It was almost like he didn't understand or couldn't believe what had just come out of his mouth.

 

When I first met him at the club a few months ago, I never thought that I would hear him professing his love to me, and in such a state. What the hell had just happened?

 

This was all too much for me to process. In books and movies, a drunken love confession after only meeting a person a couple of times seems very nice and exciting. But in reality, it feels intimidating and out of place. It was too soon. It was all over the place. I didn't melt like I always thought I would if a man drunkenly told me his feelings for me because he was unable to guard his emotions. I felt vulnerable and out in the open for attack. I felt manipulated in a way, sort of tricked into expectantly floating over to him just because he said the 'L' word which was supposed to make all right in the world.

 

I hated to feel manipulated because of what happened in my last relationship. But also because I felt when you told someone you loved them, it shouldn’t have been a last resort.

 

I remember when George first told me he loved me after an argument we'd had, and I fell head over heels the moment I heard it, as if that was my one life's mission. And then I'd quickly forgiven him for what he did. But hearing Henry say it, it felt too much like a distraction. It felt like I was simply supposed to accept the words to the ignorance of all the pain and confusion I'd endured for an entire month plus. Seeing him flaunting all the wanted models on his arm. Seeing him laugh and smile while I tried so hard not to cry over a man I had opened up to and slept with so easily. Damn. And I was supposed to wilt simply because after ignoring me for more than a month he revealed that he was in love with me?

 

I hated how life was truly not what it seemed in the grand scheme of things. I hated how reality was such a jaded version of what we hoped and dreamed life could be. But I guess that reality kept everything in equilibrium. Life wouldn't really be life if we could have everything we wanted without some sense of struggle.

 

Still, regardless of how uncomfortable I felt with his relation, I couldn't deny how grand it made me feel…deep down inside. That was the part of me that had allowed the Henry Walker Effect to take control of me. And how I hated myself for it. I think deep down I had known that he had some feelings for me. And I knew I had immense feelings for him, but not after what he had done for me as far as giving me confidence and making love to me like that was his sole purpose in life.

 

But I had fallen for him after he had shown me that even the surest man, the most successful man, still had vices and insecurities. I had fallen for him when he showed me that he was not perfect. Perfect people only magnified

 

Just to know that, like me, someone else had fears and doubts about certain aspects of life drew me closer to him. It made me realize that you didn't have to put anyone on a pedestal because we were all equal, trying to find our way through this life. And to know that he didn't have it all figured out while it felt that way, made me fall for him harder. I was angry because Henry didn't seem to get that. I was mad because even regardless of it all, I still didn't seem to get him.

 

All along I thought that I was guarded, but in reality, Henry was far more guarded than I was. Wasn't that something?

 

Henry broke his gaze from me, having revealed something I'm sure he hoped to take to his grave from every guilt ridden bone in his body from that point forward.

 

"You know what, I don't have time for this shit. I'm sorry, Val, but I'm out," Chase said, incensed as he angrily left the party. I was still too stumped to say anything and Chase left.

 

Before long, Ella had emptied most people from the party. She kept shooting Peter dark glances that he frowned at, only to eye Henry accusingly.

 

I refused to let my expression soften because of the revelation. I refused to completely embrace the revelation. Being in love with someone didn't solve everything. It didn't excuse anything.

 

It seemed like centuries passed us by. I wasn't too sure of my surroundings, but I finally let my eyes lift to Henry again. He looked guilty, once again, his head was down. He must have felt my gaze on him and looked up at me. His expression was hard but in his eyes, I could see remorse. He took in a huge breath, then bravely tried to reach for me.

 

"Valerie, listen. I'm sorry. I just…"

 

Henry had touched me many times before, but when I felt that feather light touched, it was the most painful of all touches he'd given me.

 

"DON'T TOUCH ME!" I practically screamed as I stepped back until my back met some resistance. I think I was back against some wall, but I didn't care. I just wanted to be away. I didn't want to be touched by him or even looked at by him. I felt like he didn't deserve me in any kind of way at that moment. I couldn't remember being so mad and also so afraid.

 

Then again, I could…

 

George.

 

Only, before, I had melted against the touch. I had cried and let him take me again. I had let him fool me into letting me think that I was loved and desired.

 

The fact that I was determined not to make that same mistake made me react violently.

 

As I looked at Henry's horrified face, I felt like I was afraid that a guy I liked so much was a potential abuser, emotional or physical. It made me sick just to think that Henry, a guy who loved his mother more than anyone else on this earth, would fit that bill. It made me sob harder. Why couldn't things be so simple?Well, they could be. We just made them hard sometimes.

 

When I cried harder into my hand, Henry's face fell harder and he tried to reach for me pleadingly.

 

"Val…"

 

"Fuck you. Don't even say my name. Don't ever refer to me again, okay? I'm done with you. I was done on July fucking fourth anyway, wasn't I? You're little fucking game!"

 

"Henry, you need to leave," I heard Ella in the distance but wasn't too sure.

 

"Babe…please--"

 

I flinched like I'd been afflicted when I felt his touch again, "DON'T YOU FUCKING TOUCH ME!"

 

"Henry, leave her alone," Ella's steely voice sounded in the distance. "Peter, get him out of here."

 

"C'mon man, let's go," Peter tried to intervene, but to no avail.

 

"Let me talk to her. Valerie, please, I just wanted to talk…"

 

When he attempted to hold me again, both hands on my arms, I became fearful of being a girl that was prone to abuse.

 

I wouldn't allow it.

 

Using the only weapon I had on me, I splashed my glass contents of alcohol in his face. Henry wince as he clutched his eye shut, a slew of curse words flying out of his mouth as he stumbled back and bent while wiping his face.

 

"You're so full of shit." I said in a fit of rage. I was shaking so hard. "Don't come near me! No one is ever going to hurt me again! Stay away. You fucks are all the same. Stay away from me!!!" 

 

"Okay, you guys, that's enough," Ella said as she rushed to my side, prying the glass from my hand, and pulling me away from the living room. I wasn't sure where we went because I was blindly crying. Fuck.

 

Wherever we were, she sat me down but I was crying so hard I wasn't even aware of anything around me.

 

"I promised I would never let another man make me cry like this. Oh my god…" I cried to Ella as she led me away from the scene.

 

"Valerie, Sweetheart--"  

 

"I'm so stupid. I'm so stupid." I cried into my hands as vivid memories of how a similar moment as this turned into falling onto hands of a man I thought I loved, letting him make love to me only for him to end up hurting me like no one else ever had. And when I tried to tell Dad, he pushed me away…

 

"What have I gotten myself into? I never want to see him again," I cried to Ella. She held me close as I balled into her chest.

 

I felt like I'd been crying for hours, but it was probably minutes. When my cries finally quieted down with the help of Ella calming me down, I could finally focus on those loud sounds that were in the background.

 

"No you are not going anywhere! You sit the fuck down!" Peter's voice soared in the background.

 

"Let me go," Henry said quietly.

 

"Sit the fuck down before I call the cops and tell them that you are going to drive while drunk!"

 

"I'm not fucking DRUNK and I'm not driving! I'm just going for a walk!" The way Henry yelped the word 'drunk' made me flinched. I clutched my eyes shut at Henry's roaring voice and Ella tucked my head under her chin when she felt me flinch.

 

"A-fucking-gain?? Again??? Like you used to do when we were kids? Really Henry?" Peter bellowed.

 

"I'm not doing this right now," Henry murmured warningly.

 

"Run away from home but go for a fucking walk and not come back for two weeks only for me and Mom to find you on the fucking street fighting for your life because you got beat up by a bunch of thugs? You want to do that again? Become the homeless street fighter you used to be?"  Peter questioned and his voice sounded like he'd been holding in countless years of pent up frustration.

 

"If you don't move out of my fucking way…" Henry mumbled and I hugged myself close in my arms, feeling his patience thinning.

 

"What the fuck are you going to do, Henry?" Peter taunted, but in a very tired voice.

 

A long span of silence followed, then Peter spoke again.

 

"Hit me," Peter derided. "Because that's the only way I'm letting you leave this time."

 

More silence followed.

 

"Every time dude. Every fucking time! You do this to people and you have no fucking concept of how your behavior affects others. This is not normal okay? This is not normal!"

 

"I never said that I was normal," Henry said almost inaudibly.

 

"You can't keep hurting people, man! Do you know how much hurt my mother went through that day you said you were going for a fucking walk but never fucking came back for two weeks? How responsible she felt when we found you all bloodied up, bruises, cuts…what the hell, Henry?"

 

"I was 16…"

 

"16, 28…isn't this the same old dance? The only difference between then and now is that you know how to play the game, but you finally met someone that you can't play that game with. You met your fucking match, man."

 

Silence stretched the minutes following until Henry spoke.

 

"Move, Peter."

 

Peter sighed heavily.

 

"Okay, you can do that shit with me, Henry. Stop by every few months, maybe years. The only reason you and me are still close, is because I understand you. I accept you. That's what you do with family. But at some point accepting trickles into enabling. I got nothing to lose by you hopping in and out. Do whatever the hell you want. But when you're involving a woman's feelings, a woman who obviously has trust issues, you can't get away with that shit. I can tell this shit bothers you more than anything else. Let me guess, did you cut Val off too?"

 

It was quiet for a few seconds, and Then Henry spoke. "I was going to explain it to her…"

 

"Explain what? That you have trust issues? That we all have trust issues? I have known this girl and she never lets anyone in. Never. But here you come along. I mean when you told me you could break anyone down, I didn't believe you. But I didn't think you'd actually play around with her."

 

"I wasn't playing around with her. I just didn't expect…"

 

"Yeah she was a challenge but you are so fucking screwed. You are a fucking grown ass man now, Henry. You can't keep running away from folks like that."

 

Silence.

 

"I know that's all you used to do man, but at some point, you have to stop running. You can only run so long until you meet your dead end."

 

Silence.

 

"I have never seen you behave this way," Peter continued. "You know you fucked up, and you're just mad at yourself."

 

"I said, move," Henry warned, and though his voice was calm, there was something about his tone that made me feel that wasn’t just a threat, but a promise.

 

Without much thought, I disengaged myself from Ella's hold and rushed to the living room.

 

I had stepped in to see that Henry and Peter were nose to nose and Henry's hands were balled into fists. At my disruption, they both turned to me and Henry's face quickly softened and his fist relaxed. He looked defeated and closed his eyes, balling his hand into a fist so tight it shook.

 

Then he stood back while combing his fingers through his doused hair.

 

"I was going to stay, but what's the point…" Henry murmured with a frown.

 

Both Ella, Peter and I were just looking at Henry in bewilderment.

 

"What's the point of setting ourselves up for disappointment?"

 

"Henry…what the…" Peter murmured. "Dude, just…"

 

"Everyone always leaves in the end, don't they? Everyone always lies. Even your fucking shadow. Nothing is constant and nothing stays the same. If the people we are supposed to trust the most can hurt us and leave, what the hell is the fucking point of getting close to anyone else in the first place?"

 

Henry shook his head, which he was still holding. "There is no point of getting close to anyone. Every man is alone in this world."

 

"Henry, dude, you're freaking out, okay?" Peter tried to put a hand on Henry's shoudler. "I don't know how serious you and Valerie were but you just starte--"

 

Henry tensed when he felt Peter's hand on him and stepped back immediately. His eyes were still closed and facing the ground.

 

"I just found out, not too long ago, that my old man tried to embezzle money from me. He gained some of my trust. Not just some, all, and I put so much on the line for him, only to be made out as a fool once again. And his reason for stealing money from me was just to fund his fucking addiction." When Henry opened his soul-beaten eyes and regarded his best friend in defeat, they were bewildered, but still filled with pain. He faced the ground again. A little boy pleading for an explanation. Ashamed by his emotions but also desperately trying to find an explanation. "Peter, you tell me, if my own fucking father can do that to me, who the fuck else can I trust?"

 

The question hang in the room unanswered. The silence was too loud and penetrating.

 

"So please. Move..." Henry said quietly. Tiredly. There he was, walking out again. Leaving.

 

Escaping.

 

Guarding himself.

 

Protecting himself.

 

Without  another question, and at a loss of words, a shocked Peter reluctantly stepped aside. Henry walked to the door. When he placed his hand on the door knob and looked back at me, a pleading look filled in his eyes, as though asking me to understand. But his eyes became closed off again and he looked away from me and just hurried out of the apartment, leaving me with my heart breaking into a million pieces.

 

I stared at the door for several minutes even after he'd left. It was over. I knew it was over. I couldn't keep dealing with this forever. A part of me never wanted to see him again. No, not after tonight.

 

But...

 

There was pain in his voice that I could strongly identify with. I think, above it all, it was the fact that he was hurting from something his father had done that made me do the wrong thing.

 

"Valerie! Wait!"

 

I ignored Ella and foolishly went after him, needing a full explanation.

 

Needing the whole story, not just bits and pieces.

Chapter 20 by notheruniverse
Author's Notes:

 I will be posting this story on Wattpad as well as here under the same notheruniverse name.

 

Thank you very much for reading and for all your comments. 

 

 

Chapter 20

 

His shoulders were hunched and his hands were in his pockets. As I watched his departing figure, common sense advised me not to go after him.

 

I knew I should stay put and just watch him leave. I had to put myself before this man. Before anyone else.

 

While I watched him walking away trying to make my decision, I felt a strange sense of deja vu. Watching the streets and Henry seemed so familiar. I tried not to make something out of nothing, even though it was glaring me in the face.

 

Then, I suddenly remembered where I stood: Peter's patio. The one Henry and I had sat on before abruptly deciding to go on a last minute, adventurous journey to the other side of town. I remembered the racing of my heart as he asked for my first and last name while he booked us a ticket. How rash, irresponsible and dangerous…but how memorable and fun.

 

It was the day I saw him buying a pizza for the homeless man on the streets that he blended so well with.

 

It all began to make sense...

 

His sense of responsibility. How thoughtful he became after we handed the man the box of pizza. While he had told me he was homeless the last time we had met, I thought it was so long ago that it wasn't something that still haunted him.

 

But looking at him walking down these streets that seemed to embody him so much, I knew that past was still very much a part of him.

 

"Stop," I found myself calling out to him before I could choose better judgment on how to handle this situation. His footsteps faltered, but he kept on going.

 

"HENRY!" I cried out and he stopped. Henry's stiff gait came to a slow and he turned to look at me, his surprised features turning into a sorrowful, regretful frown.

 

His jaw flexed as I imagined he was clenching his teeth, trying to restrain himself as he shoved his hands in his pockets and looked heavenward. His profile was so picturesque.

 

He was so beautiful it hurt.

 

'The prettiest packages come with the worst gifts'.

 

"I'm sorry for everything Valerie. You won't see or hear from me again. I will get Chase's number from Peter later to apologize to him."

 

"Stop! Just stop it!" I said desperately, annoyed when my eyes welled with tears at the sight of his back again--the symbol of him always trying to evade me and the rest of the world. Henry stopped and turned, and when he saw me in tears, he grimaced and started towards me but came to a halt, as if realizing the harsh reality that he couldn't just freely touch me because of the unreliable, absentee reputation he'd built for himself.

 

"Just stop. And just stay there," I demanded

 

"I can't."

 

"Why?!" I asked exasperatedly.

 

"I don't know how to stay." 

 

The rage that had crept up within me last night erupted in volcanic proportions. Before I could utter a word, he beat me to it, probably noting the rage on my face.

 

"I'm sorry. I sound fucking stupid right now."

 

I pursed my lips, impatiently. Henry sighed, as though impatient with himself, and looked down at his feet as he shoved his hands into the back pockets of his pants.

 

"I'm used to moving. Getting too comfortable is foreign to me," he explained awkwardly. “And being comfortable requires a massive level of trust that I'm not brave enough to have."

 

Silence befell us. His speaking in parables had me wondering what the hell I was doing, chasing down a grown man that had nearly beaten up my date. This guy had ignored me for more than a month.

 

 I spun around and started back into the house when Henry's voice stalled me.

 

"My father is a raging alcoholic."

 

Stopping dead in my tracks, I whipped around to face him. It was strange, but those few words hit me like a ton of bricks. All at once bits and pieces of Henry bombarded me.

 

His hands still in his back pockets, his curls falling low over his forehead. A spasm shot through his jaw. His muscles were taut.

 

“When I told you about my father on my birthday, I left out the good details. I left out that he's a raging alcoholic. You remember when I told you he was always so hot and cold with us? On and off?" He lifted his gaze. The regretful eyes were now as emotionless as his voice. I wondered if he had to detach himself emotionally in order to relay his story.

 

And then again, in a topsy turvy manner, my emotions changed. All the rage I felt towards him began to scuttle away, replaced by sympathy.

 

More puzzles of the pieces that were Henry Walker began to come together.

 

My shoulders sagged as I frowned at him, "Oh no…"

 

I tried to imagine what it would be like to have a father that switched on and off. For the most part my father was usually off. Him being personable with me a few weeks ago when the project I worked gained recognition, was him being on, but his being on was so few and far between. He had pushed me away so far away that I barely knew him.

 

"My father told me a few months ago that he had stage 2 cancer. Told me the doctor said he got it from drinking too much." He guffawed and shook his head. "How could I not believe that when he has been an alcoholic for most of my life? You know what I found out? He lied to me. About having cancer. Valerie, it wasn't just any old lie." As he looked at me now I began to see the anger in his eyes, building slowly but very controlled. "He planned it all out like the sick fuck he is, forged bills and prescriptions just to prove to me that he was using all the thousands I was forwarding to him for his cancer treatment. All because of money to fund his habit. What parent lies to their kid about having fucking cancer, Val? Tell me."

 

I couldn't say anything and looked away from the pointed green eyes. My father had done a lot of things, but he had never stolen anything from me. In fact, financially, my father had set me up pretty comfortably in life. For all his ways, I had to give him that. And even if he was a workaholic, he had never abandoned us. I'd never heard any scandals of him having affairs or fathering other children.

 

"Ben had promised to stop continuously sending money to my dad at the pleading of my mom. So then my father reached out to me, saying in truth I was the only one he'd ever trusted despite it all, hence I was the only one who he allegedly told. And he claimed he didn't want to put stress on anyone else in the family, especially Ben. I didn't trust him, but how could anyone lie about something as detrimental as cancer? So in that moment, and only in that moment, I kept it to myself. Little did I know it was so he could cover up his lie better. It wasn't because he fucking trusted me."

 

The disgust in Henry's deep voice was palpable but I could also detect pain and infuriation I knew he was trying to mask.

 

My lips parted to speak, but words failed me. I couldn't believe that what he was telling me was real. Even if my father and I had a rocky relationship, I couldn't imagine him doing that to me, or to anyone else. My father, while emotionless, was not a dishonest man. I couldn’t wrap my mind around someone lying about something as serious as cancer just for a fix of whatever their habit was.

 

Then a bothersome trickle went down my spine when I remembered when my binging addiction had gotten so bad, the lies I'd tell just to steal away into the bathroom with my bag of goods only to hurl it all out. I felt really uncomfortable and confused but I couldn't focus on that now.

 

"Henry…I…"

 

He was looking about. His hands, now out of his pockets, were in tight fists as he slowly walked about. Then he stopped and looked heavenward, at the clouds that blanketed the sky that night.

 

It's one of those moments when you notice how mind-numbingly beautiful someone could be, to the point of surrealism.

 

Or I guess when we really cared about someone they were infinitely beautiful to us. 

 

Or maybe it's when we finally see the true nature of someone we thought we knew that they show their truest beauty.

 

If I didn't know it before, I knew it then.

 

This was Henry Walker. The one he hid so well.

 

He was chewing at his bottom lip as frustratingly as he balled his hands into fists. It's as though he was trying to make some sense of this painful truth that raided his life.

 

He shook his head abruptly, plowed his fingers through his curls and continued, just bursting at the seams. Clearly, he'd been holding this in for a very long time.

 

"What was so fucked up was, I could never tell if I was getting Good Dave or Bad Dave when he was drunk."

 

I assumed then that Dave was Henry's father's name.

 

"When he was Good Dave, he was the best Dave in the world.”

 

I shook my head at the horror of it all.

 

"Things didn't make sense and come to find out, the fucker never had cancer to begin with. He lied, just to get money from me. And guess what the money was for, Valerie…"

 

"Oh my god, Henry…"

 

"Tell me, Valerie…if my own old man can do this to me…"

 

I was seized by shock and pain and couldn’t speak.

 

"Not even my worst enemy has hurt me like this…I know I complained about the man. In the end…I loved my father. I still respected him, which is why I caved in and gave him one last chance. For fuck sake, I thought the old man was going to die."

 

I stood there helplessly, guilty that I couldn’t figure out what to say to him.

 

"I still don't believe that it's true but I talked to him. He tried to deny it but he eventually admitted it and claimed that it was all my fault. Again"

 

I winced, feeling whiplash from Henry's words.

 

"What?" I spoke softly, disbelief and pain making me weak. Henry sighed heavily while rubbing his head.

 

"He said it was my fault that he started drinking again after being sober for a while. He claimed he was sober until I ran away from home and that his problem got worse after that. He sobered up after I became successful, weaseled his way back into my life and partied harder than I did. Rachel, the first woman I fell in love with, she helped me through that."

 

"Was that…" I gulped hard. "Was that the woman with a husband and kids?"

 

Henry stalled, but eventually nodded.

 

"The situation reminded me again that I can't get too comfortable because nothing was ever truly something I could call my own. Everything seemed to always belong to someone else, except m music. Peter lived in the same neighborhood as Dad. We met when I'd go there to visit Dave and we became friends. When I started visiting him at his home, I felt so welcome. I felt like I'd found a home. But a particular incident led me to see them happy as a family and I was reminded they weren't mine. I had nothing of my own but music. Living on the streets made me very territorial and made me try to claim anything that made me feel good. Music was mine, but when I met Rachel I felt I finally found a home and the reality would always hit me that I had not.

 

"She helped me through Dave’s alcohol abuse, but even that had to end because she wasn't mine."

 

Henry sighed and looked off into the street.

 

"Dave's excuse for lying to me about cancer was that it was my fault he began again. That I neglected him. Said he drank because he missed his boy."

 

My now my vision was blurring with tears. "Oh no, Henry. It wasn't your fault…"

 

"He said the only way he could get back into my life was by lying. Said he was driven to drink because he couldn't stand that he was lying to me. What a bastard, eh?"

 

"I'm so sorry. That's horrible,” I took a tentative step towards him and was surprised when he stepped back.

 

Then I thought back to my birthday night when he brought me peach colored balloons, how jumpy he was in the bedroom whenever I got close to him, to the last time we met after the MMA fight, how he was basically trying to chase me out of his room.

 

As if realizing what he had just done, Henry shook his head as he looked down at his feet.

 

"…You know, I thought I was fine until I met you."

 

I stood silently and listened.

 

"I thought everything was okay. I was successful and could move freely as I pleased, without having to ever answer to anyone. I have never had to answer to anyone but my mother and my siblings, and even then…

 

"I never had to worry about putting food on the table or getting my mother something nice. My siblings are all well taken care of and are all set for life. I've fallen in love with women before but the focus has always been on them and I never had to explain much of myself or why I did what I did. People are fine as long as they are pampered and given what they want. That way, if you lavish them while smiling hard enough, they never ask too much of you. They don't ask about you…they don't ask because the focus is on them and to be fair, they think you're fine because if you’re in Hollywood long enough, you learn how to smile even when you don’t feel it. You even learn to smile with your eyes, which I always believed were like a truth serum until I moved here. And anyway, after being treated like a mistake, you don't want to step on too many toes.”

 

His last comment confused me a little, but Henry went on.

 

"But you, you don’t look like you are gunning for too much. Maybe it’s because you have been hurt, but there is a very sweet, nurturing look in your eyes. Like you’re saying without really saying that you can understand whatever it is someone else is going through. I could stare at them forever, I’ve never seen eyes like yours.”

 

My face burned as I blushed and my body felt weightless. The effortlessness with which this guy could get me feeling high was astounding.

 

"You are honestly the most beautiful thing that's ever happened to me besides my mother and my siblings."

 

My heart started racing and I looked elsewhere, not knowing what to say or do.

 

"You’re a very safe person to be around. And that scared me. I'm not used to that feeling."

 

I refused to look him in the eye.

 

"I wanted to tell you what happened, so many times, but I couldn't risk the news getting out and affecting Ben. I couldn't risk you thinking I was this strange, weird guy that just needed to be left alone. I have gotten that look far too many times. I'm not a victim, I know, but there are too many people in this industry that are all out looking for themselves."

 

“I’m not like that,” I explained, somewhat irritably.

 

“I know, he said quietly.”

 

We stood quietly for a few minutes.

 

"I came here on the chance that you would be here, but I was also hoping you wouldn't. I don't know how to act when I'm around you. I just start to unravel. I just start to break down. There's this spirit about you, and it drives me mental. Around you I become so…unguarded. And it's a very dangerous thing to let your guard down.”

 

I felt the same way but didn’t say it. I was beginning to feel uncomfortable because the more he spoke, the more I began to lose my resolve. I couldn’t end up by his side tonight only to watch him leave the next day and not know whether I would hear from him again or not.

 

"I'm going to be completely honest with you…" Henry started somewhat hesitantly. "When I first met you, I just treated you as I do everyone else. I asked Peter if you were always so rude and he told me to not even bother, but I hounded him asking him why and he asked me why I kept bugging him about you."

 

He sighed lowering his shameful face, "I was bored, Valerie, and I just needed…something, I don't know, anything. I was attracted to you but, I was bored, and you were there. But from the first moment you spoke to me, I couldn't turn away."

 

He was looking at me now and I didn’t k now how to take all of it.

 

"Part of it was you being a challenge. I told Peter I could break anyone down if I wanted to. It was an ego thing, but the more we talked, the more I found myself being so intrigued. I just felt like I was stepping into a whole other universe. By the end of the night, I was gone. I had to get closer to you. I had to have you. You didn't make it easy which is what made me try harder."

 

"So was it just about proving to yourself that you could get me?" I asked, hating the fact that I felt some kind of way about it.

 

He was silent for a moment.

 

"I guess that was part of it initially, yeah."

 

I don't think anything could shock me at this point.

 

"I just had a feeling about you that both drew me to you but kept me away."

 

I hated how pointedly he looked at me as he said those words because he probably knew I felt the same.

 

"My relationships have always worked because the women I have dated have always wanted to be catered to. It has always been about wining and dining them, so much to the point where I didn't matter. But, I made sure I didn't matter. It made hiding who I was easier. You let a person talk about themselves and listen to them long enough, and you can have them wrapped around your finger.

 

"The women I have dated are not bad people. But in Hollywood, it's very easy to meet someone self-centered, that's why it was a bit easy for me to live here. Let people talk about themselves long enough and you can exist among them without really existing…"

 

I’d heard about Hollywood. We all had. About how cutthroat it was, but I guess every industry was the same. I still empathized with him, cause I’d never know exactly how it was.

 

“To be honest I have never tried to stay away from someone as much as I've tried to stay away from you. Because no one has ever made me feel as…understood as you have. Many people have understood me but there are certain things where they don't understand the full extent.”

 

He lowered his eyes.

 

"My father…when I talked about music….he understood me like no one else." His voice became hard as though trying to guard himself. "And he betrayed me. So I associate that feeling of being understood, of comfort with…betrayal and uncertainty."

 

I frowned at him.

 

"I either leave before it gets too deep or I shut down emotionally. My ex cheated on me because I shut down emotionally and she had to seek emotions elsewhere. I become obsessed with making music or traveling when I shut down. That's how I used to drown out Bad Dave. See, there used to be this small hole on the fence of our backyard If the screaming got too bad, I'd take Lori with me and we'd go to a nearby playground. When Mom found out, I'd just lock us in our room and turn the music on really loud. My way of surviving is to escape emotionally and mentally but when I met you, you were so all-consuming I literally have to put myself in a position where I'm not near you.

 

"Henry…"

 

"When my father told me that I either leave that house or I follow his rules and lead a simple life, I remember how I used to run off when he'd get drunk and I just…ran. I took Ben with me,” he added with a sense of urgency.

 

"But I took him back. I took him back and told him I'd come back to get him. The night I brought him back, Dave, he told me to leave Ben out of this. It was better for him.”

 

We sat stood for a while.

 

"I would never forgive myself if something happened to him. And it wasn't too long until he went back home, you know?” He looked at me hopefully before dragging his eyes away.

 

"I failed him. I picked music over my own brother. The way Dave picked his addiction over us…"

 

"Henry, you were a kid. You did what you thought was best for Ben at the time."

 

He remained mute.

 

"Would you have preferred if he were on the street?"

 

He closed his eyes painfully, a knot forming between his eyebrows as he shook his head.

 

"I would have hated myself more. I was sixteen and he was six. He wouldn't have survived. The first night I had him, I had to steal food. After running out of the house with Ben, I forgot my wallet with the money Mom gave me. It was too much chaos. So I just took him back home the next day, it was so rough that even I tried to go back home but I came home when Dave was really angry and told me never to return."

 

"Why didn't you just go back home to Mom?"

 

"I found out Dad told her I was staying with some relative who lived in California at the time, cause apparently it was my choice. He also made her realize how serious I was about music and began to get concerned, so she started asking me to stop for my own sake. I was still obsessed with finding my way, especially after finding out that getting connections in California seemed much more fruitful than trying back home.

 

“And part of the reason we were staying with Dave is because Mom had fallen on hard times. Her mother was really sick and granddad had just passed, and he used to help out. She was having a hard time with all of us and at that time I was just thinking that I didn’t want to cause her any trouble. So I lied and said I was okay. Said I was staying with Peter, not Dad’s relative, which was partially true but they were so perfect, and his mom tried to get me into other activities because as she said, I sounded like I had no direction. It seemed everyone was trying to control my destiny so I went back to the streets

 

"When you live on the streets, you learn different survival tactics. But you also learn just how low the human race is. You ask yourself how far you will go for survival. You see people do all kinds of things just to survive. It's the craziest things. But what you learn to do most…you learn to keep moving. That's the name of the game. Keep going because you don't get too comfortable in one spot when you're living on the streets. You just keep moving.

 

"And ever since….

 

A tear slid down my eye and I glanced down.

 

"When he talked about you being beat up? That you almost died?"

 

Henry sighed. "Just run into some thugs who weren’t happy and they took it out on me.” Suddenly Henry rolled up his short sleeve over his muscular shoulder. “This tattoo of a clock was my first one.”

 

I didn’t know where he was taking this but tentatively stepped off of Peter’s patio to get a closer look.

 

“I was trying to cover up some of the scars. When I saw how well he did it, I went back and he added more tattoos where my scars were. Ever since then I just became addicted to tattoos. They made me feel like I was covering that part of my life up."

 

Surprise was an understatement. I could now understand the ire in Henry when Chase made fun of his tattoos. Even those were his way of trying to shield himself from his own past.

 

Henry surprised me when he sat on the edge of the sidewalk. Probably worn down by his own past and truths. With his knees elevated, Henry rested his elbows on them and just looked ahead of him at the impending darkness that fought the street lights.

 

While I was glad he was staying in one spot, that was another moment I began second guessing my coming out here and speaking to him. Experience with Henry had made me ambivalent. This was probably the last time I would see him for a long time, but my curiosity was winning this waging war within me.

 

I went and sat beside him but with great caution. I didn't expect to bond, and to a certain extent, I didn't want to, but I couldn't help the sympathy I felt towards him.

 

Being with him felt so familiar but, each time I had to remind myself that Henry and I still had a lot of 'getting to know' each other to do. How do I know he just wasn't a manipulative guy, who knew how to play this game well and knew that the sympathy card would benefit him and make me forgive him?

 

But it was that damn link: father and child, that kept me seated beside him, albeit two feet away from him. It was me who decided, unwisely probably, to take that risk and hear more of his side of the story. While Chase was the one I should have raced after to apologize, Chase had great parents that had dotted over him, hence part of the reason why he had turned out so successful despite all the bullying he'd sustained through high school. I knew Henry's treatment of him summoned bad memories of being bullied in high school by the 'big dogs'.

 

But I knew Henry had far too many wounds from his past and he didn't seem like the type who vented much. His behavior today was obviously a culmination of withheld emotions. That still shouldn't have been an excuse. Was I making excuses for him?

 

We sat quietly, both lost in our own thoughts, for what seemed like hours. Cars drove by. A plane flew above. The neighbors' visitors across the street left.

 

"I feel confused. That doesn't give him a right to come ba…" Henry began and stopped abruptly.

 

"What?"

 

"I'm doing the same fucking thing," he murmured.

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"I don't think its right to use this to get closer to you again. I'm not trying to use this in any way, please believe me. I know a manipulator when I see one and I wouldn't do that to you."

 

I was surprised because that was my recent train of thought. "Henry you weren't even going to tell me about this."

 

"I didn't even plan on telling Peter." He speared his fingers through his hair and held his head. "This is why I don't fucking drink--"

 

"Why do you feel guilty about being who you are and being honest? Why? In everything you do. When you talk about your success you're so self-deprecating and apologetic. You shy away every time you open up to someone like you don't have a right to. You act like it's a mistake."

 

I seemed to have hit a nerve.

 

"I don't want to burden anyone," he said quietly and a ball in my knot formed. His voice sounded so hollow and defeated.

 

"Did your father make you feel like this?" I asked quietly, hating how tearful my voice sounded. Henry's jaw bunched and he looked away. Without much thought, I reached for him and put my hand over the back of his head, rubbing lightly despite him tensing up

 

"Please talk to me. It's okay."

 

"You're killing me, Val. I don't deserve to. You know that."

 

"You are right, you don't, but owe me that much for how you've treated me," my voice cracked as my eyes watered, memories of confusion and rejection plaguing my mind. The memories struck me so strongly I nearly told him to just leave, but his heavily hooded eyes fell on me.

 

"I used to grapple for dad's time so much when I was little. I never knew how he'd react. Sometimes he was welcoming but most times he'd act like I was bothering him. I don't like bothering others with my issues."

 

"Henry…"

 

"And when you're homeless you're always…you are so desperate you are begging...it's such a low point…

 

"You're always begging and always just…hoping. Sleeping in bathrooms at subways and…in a foreign country as well. It was horrible. You could never get too comfortable because you never knew what was around the corner. Even after Peter's family took me in, I couldn't shake that feeling of discomfort. I felt like I was in the way. I always had to be on the move. I'm used to it now. It's the only way I survive."

 

"That's not survival Henry. That's fear."

 

"I don't want to hurt you any more than I already have. I really don't. I know it happened long ago. I know all this, I had buried it but when I found out he lied and how easily I gave in…I realized I got too comfortable."

 

"Have you talked to anyone about this yet? About him lying?"

 

"No. But it's over. It's over. I'm over it."

 

"You are not over it. At least be honest with yourself."

 

After some silence, I spoke, "Is it hard for you being here?"

 

"Surprisingly…no. I feel….calm when I'm with you. Not just with you but…just that maybe I can be okay. I don't know."

 

"So why do you always leave?"

 

"Because I feel calm. Like I could just stay in the same spot forever and be…okay. I'm not used to that. The only person who's truly ever made me feel that way is my mother and now..."

 

He sighed and summed it up. "I feel so comfortable around you it unnerves me." He continued after some silence."I don't want to put that pressure on you."

 

"It's not pressure. You're growing and realizing that you can be okay with yourself."

 

A smile ghosted his lips."You always know how to make it sound good, but…"

He hesitated before going on.  

 

"For as much as I can't stand the guy, I'm so much like him. Ben and I are, especially Ben. but, because I'm so obsessed with music, I didn't want to think how I'd turn out if it didn't work the way I wanted it to. Seeing how he turned to alcohol to help him cope with not acquiring the fame and success he wanted, and seeing what alcohol turned him into…

 

"I tried to get away from being like him but sometimes it got so hard.”

 

I could feel him withdrawing again.

 

"You remember that night I told you about, when it was storming and the old man told me to go sit with him and write songs?”

 

I nodded.

 

“He was pissed. Drunk. But he was so caring and loving, still I’ll never forget the strong stench of alcohol.”

 

It saddened me to hear this all.

 

“The first song I wrote…that got me my big break? The one that got me off the streets and the one that I was able to get Mom a new house with? I was drunk when I wrote that song, Valerie."

 

"Oh. Henry…." I shook my head and placed my forehead against his shoulder. 

 

"I know it sounds stupid and I know I'm being melodramatic but just. How can I even be proud of something that wasn't…authentic. To date, that is my biggest song…I have been successful since but haven't matched it. I wonder why."

 

[i]From the beginning[/i],is self-deprecating attitude whenever we discussed his success now made sense.

 

"That doesn't mean that it wasn't you."

 

"But it was the drunk me. As he son of an alcoholic, it's not something I'm proud of."

 

I could see why6 that bothered him so much. He sighed heavily and looked down at his hands.

 

"There was a time when I thought I'd finally made a break through with my dad. I was proud that he was clean for two years and I confided in him and told him I was afraid that I would become like him because my biggest song was written when I was drunk."  Henry let out a dry laugh. "He assured me my talent was natural. That I shouldn't doubt myself. I felt so proud, like I'd finally received my dad's blessing, then I think he began to get jealous of my success and his drinking began again. I had to cut him off cause he was draining me.

 

"When I found out he'd been lying the entire time about this whole cancer thing, we got into a little spat. I nearly killed him. I was so angry Val. I'd never been so mad in my life. I literally just blacked out.  Because when we were arguing, he said, 'What makes you think you are so special when you can't even write a good song when you are sober. Me and you, we are not different. We are our greatest when we are under the influence. Everyone thinks you are this hero but they don't know the truth: The worst gifts come in the prettiest packages' I'll never forget it. He says that I just got lucky…that if he had my luck I wouldn't even fucking exist right now because he would have gone on to achieve his dream. That the mere site of my face reminds him where he failed in life. My dear father"

 

"It's not true…" I told Henry urgently and he simply closed his eyes and shook his head.

 

"I don't want to be like him, but I can't get away from being him."

 

"You are not him." I was holding on to his arm so desperately, the other hand clamped tight over his shoulder. His muscles all over were so strained, straining more when I touched him. I felt this huge sense of responsibility, like I had to do all I could to save him.

 

"You are your own human being, Henry."

 

He was quietly thoughtful as he stared at his hands. My natural instinct was to inch closer and kiss his cheek, just to try and reassure him and try to relax all the muscles within him but somehow I restrained myself the way he seemed to be restraining himself. 

 

"Some studies show that it is genetic," he muttered with a very fearful look on his face.

 

"What is?" I hesitantly asked.

 

"Alcoholism"

 

"When is the last time you had a drink?" I asked quietly.

 

"About a year ago. I can't enjoy it like others because I start to panic that I will become dependent on it."

 

I remember the night we met, he never touched the drink I got for him, neither did he drink. He got everyone else drinks but got water for himself.

 

"And you had your first one tonight since?"

 

"I had more than one…" he murmured, his voice low and a bit hard, like he wanted to strangle himself.

 

"Once in a while is not a bad thing."

 

"All it takes is just one, and then it just snowballs.”

 

Henry held his head in his hands.

 

"Is that how it used to be?" I asked as I rubbed his back.

 

"She would lock us in the room when he got belligerent. She'd have to do all sorts of things. Hiding the car keys. And he would just leave and…go for…walks…"

 

I put my hand over my mouth before reaching out to him and making him look at me.

 

"Henry--"

 

He closed his troubled eyes. "Fuck…"

 

His breathing began to speed and more tears spilled from my eyes.

 

"Look at me," I pleaded, trying to pull his hand down, but Henry didn't yield.

 

"Look at me," I implored, my voice grating with tears as I shook him.

 

"I am him--"

 

"Look at me!" I demanded, almost yelling, and his eyes flashed at me and I bit my lip to keep me from whimpering. Crouching before him, I held his face and forced him to face me.

 

"You are not your father. Do you understand?"

 

He was looking at me, but his eyes were clouded. Guarded. His demons had superseded everything else about him. My chest ached. 

 

I clawed my fingers into his hair.

 

"You are not your father. You are Henry Walker. Do you remember what you told me? About thinking parents should let their kids have their own identity? Yes, you ran away. Yes, it probably hurt Ben and your father. But don't you realize that by walking away, you made your own destiny? What would have happened if you stayed? If you forced yourself to be some, some chemical engineer or accountant even when you fucking hated it?

 

"Look at me. I'm living proof what happens when you just listen to everyone else. I'm a prisoner in my own jail because I was too afraid. Notice how brave you were. Don't look away from me, Henry. You walked straight into a hurricane not knowing if you'd ever see the sun again. When you told me you are an all or nothing kind of guy I didn't really get it but now I do. You don't settle until you have it all and look at all you got because of that attitude. Do you see what happened to your father? I'm not saying that's what would have happened to you and I'm not saying that you wouldn't have found joy. But what I am saying is that you need to stop beating yourself up over your choice. I saw you when you were just simply DJing at Margaret's party. I see how your eyes light up when a song comes on. That's not a mistake. You can't tell me that anything else compares to that feeling. You can't. I'm fucking proof of what happens when you don't follow your dreams. I'm fucking miserable. Everytime I see a new game or some innovation in the gaming world do you know how jealous and angry I get? And then I just start to eat and I start to feel sorry for myself and I look the other way and I try to look for different meanings of my life but in the end I fucking regret it.

 

"Life isn't perfect. No life can ever be all the way perfect. If you have one thing in life, you miss out on another. It's about just…coming to terms. I'm not defending your dad. I never will, but I'm sure he would do anything to have the success you had and at such a young age. No one can take that away from you Henry. Not me, not Dave, not the world, that's yours.

 

"I don't know what it's like to be homeless and to be that alone. But please believe me, I know what it's like for people to get fed up with you because you're dealing with something they don't understand. So all of this probably sounds like gibberish.

 

"But the only reason why I'm telling you this so desperately is because I just wish you could see yourself how I see you when you make me so happy. You are such a beautiful person who brings light to so many and it's such a shame that you can't see that, but one day you will. I just wish you would realize that you're really not that bad. You're not perfect but that's fucking fine. As long as you are trying to get better and stop hurting yourself. You're proof that even though you get hurt, you will be okay if you keep on trying.

 

"Valerie…"

 

"There's nothing wrong with you, okay? Even with all this shit, don't let anyone make you think that you're a mistake. Don't ever let anyone make you think that."

 

Our foreheads were now aligned, and I could feel that he was no longer restrained.

 

"I never meant to hurt you or give you the run around. Everything began to unravel when we met. I had to pick and choose…"

 

"You could have chosen to trust me."

 

“To be fair, we were still getting to know each other.”

 

What he was saying made sense but I stubbornly said nothing.

 

"And let’s be honest, you didn't even trust me either,” he went on as he too stood up.

 

"What does that mean?!"

 

"Come on, Val? You start to speak and then you just…"

 

"Oh Henry, what about you? You love me up and tell me all the right things and then you just leave! At least I never left! You just run away each time--"

 

"Because you make me want to stay!"

 

He shut me up.

 

"For all the reasons. Good or bad, I don't know. You make me want to stay. Fuck, my mom asks me about you every time we speak I talk about you all the time."

 

"But what do you do…"

 

"I got scared Valerie. I got fucking scared…"

 

"Of what?! Little old fucking me? You’re scared of someone you call Peaches?"

 

"You’re damn right I was. Because of how fucking hard and fast I've fallen for you I can't fucking see straight anymore! How much clearer can I make that?”

 

Again, that inexplicable feeling went through me when he professed his feelings to me but I refused to be weakened by them. I had enough experience to know not to just fall back into this cycle.

 

"I knew that night after the MMA fight shouldn’t have happened. You talked of friends with bonus points but I knew, I could just tell that you’re not that kind of girl. And that night of the MMA fight, I found out that Dave was lying. I was in denial and I just up and left from where I was in Paris. I was so mad but I was trying to pretend it didn’t happen.

 

“When I saw you, I just…I didn’t know what to do but I had to be near you. I was an asshole how I did that, it wasn’t respectful how I just pursued you like nothing was wrong and I’m sorry, but the moment we got to my home together, I just…I knew I would break your heart. I knew after what I had just found out I couldn’t invest in a relationship with anyone. So when you said you wanted nothing more that night, I knew it was bullshit but I took it and run because of this thing that makes it really hard to turn away from you when we’re next to each other.

 

“I just fucking met you. I just fucking met you, and all of a sudden I want to change. All of a sudden I want to do anything for you. Anything, Valerie. I wanted to move closer to you. You were the first person I wanted to call, when I found what he did."

 

Again, another turn on my feelings occurred. It was up and down with him.

 

“I jumped on a plane, and came all the way to your doorstep, after two days of not speaking to you, to explain to you why…why you are better off without…."

 

“W-Wait, what?”

 

Henry sighed, his eyes downcast as he pocketed his hands.

 

"You're so precious to me, in too short of a time but even then, why the fuck would I mess your life up?"

 

"You came?" I finally croaked and Henry broke eye contact as he looked away, rubbing his nape. His cheeks began to turn a bright pink.

 

"I jumped on a plane and I came. And I knocked once but I think you were asleep and when you didn't come I…"

 

"Why didn't you tell me all this--"

 

"When my dad and I got into an argument we fought and my phone broke somewhere. I was staying at a hotel that time and got the front desk clerk to book a flight and just came. I wasn't making sense at the time I was so pissed. I hit the fucker, I'd just punched him in the face. Like I said, I blacked out."

 

I couldn’t imagine Henry hitting anyone; then again, you couldn’t put anything passed anyone.

 

"But when I arrived I was, I don't know. I thought, why I would put all this on you when I know that you have your own problems."

 

"Henry, I would have opened my doors for you, you know that. I would have listened to you and I would have tried to understand."

 

Henry looked up at me and it was as though the error of his ways was finally settling in. He took a step to me.

 

"I’m sorry. Give me another chance."

 

"No…stop…" I stepped back.

 

"Please, Valerie. I'll do anything. Anything you want."

 

"Only now cause you are realizing that you ruined a good thing?"

 

His lips formed a straight line and a crease formed between his eyebrows. His shoulders sagged and he leaned against the street light.

 

"Is there anything I can do…" he asked somberly; defeated.

 

"It's too late."

 

From the way his features fell, I nearly raced back to him and told him that I would take him  back, but I couldn’t. I just couldn’t.

 

"Valerie…don't…please…" he took another step and I stepped further back. A knowing look began to creep in his eyes as he smirked.

 

"Is it because I'm not perfect. Maybe you finally realize that what you thought is a dream is actually a fucking nightmare."

 

And this was obviously another reason he tried not to get close to people. He didn’t want them to see the truth that lay underneath.

Looking at Henry, I thought…I had to change.

 

I saw so much of myself in him that I never wanted to make anyone go through what he made me go through out of fear and baggage. I looked away as tears filled my eyes while I thought how such an amazing person could be so stuck on some unresolved hurt and how that could bind them as a person.

 

But who was perfect? Who had it all figured out all the time?

 

I knew he looked sad, pitiful even…but I'd had enough mental breakdowns to know that he was going through one now. He probably didn't even realize that he was having a mental break down until he realized what he had done.

 

I wanted to be there for him. I wanted to show him that he could get over this, that at some point we all became fuck ups, immature, and hurt but we could all still get up and dust ourselves off.

 

I just had to tell myself those things first. I had to take care of me first. It was so hard repeating that mantra in my brain.

 

"You are special to me and will always be but I can't do this with you. I'm sorry." I hardened my voice as I spoke, but deep down inside I just wanted to welcome him in my arms to tell me he could find a home in me. I felt like such a hypocrite though. After trying to console him I was now shunning him the way others had. It was so hard.


But I’d be lying if I also wasn’t selfishly tying my troubling past to this situation. I refused to be used again.

 

I refused. I remember George’s sob story and how I fell for it. I remember how much that was what kept me going back to him, his tragic past.

 

The major difference though between Henry and George was how Henry made me feel. It was far stronger than what George made me feel but it was also more daunting because I was more skeptical.

 

"Valerie, please. I'll do anything. I can. I will change."

 

I looked away from him cause I couldn’t handle it.

 

"Don't change because you are losing me Henry. Change because you've lost yourself to this side, this dark side."

 

"Change for you. Not me. Not your mom. Not even your dad. For you. I know you. Just open up, accept your problems, know that you're not the only one and move on. It's not easy but I know you can do it."

 

"No."

 

"What do you mean no?"

 

"I'll only do it on one condition. Actually two." 

 

I flinched when Henry touched the side of my face and I realized then I hadn’t felt his touch since I spilled alcohol on him. When I tried to step away, Henry held my arms to still me.

 

"Only if you promise to start seeing how beautiful you actually are. For you. Not me or anyone else."

 

I dropped my eyes from his as they started to warm in that charming, friendly manner that had gotten me in this position. I also couldn’t look at them now thinking of a young boy getting spit on by his father telling him not to return, or watching a family through the window not belonging. I thought of him feeding the homeless man and dropped my face into my hands as I cried quietly.

 

"So this is it?" I heard Henry say above me.

 

"Imagine how many times I thought that when you didn't answer my calls or texts.” I tearfully wiped my eyes and heard him curse under his breath as he kissed the crown of my forehead.

 

"Val…I'm sorry."

 

Henry tilted my head back, the sense of urgency in his eyes potent.

 

"It makes no sense to me and it probably scares the shit out of you but before I walk out of your life I want you to know but you just know I have never felt for anyone the way I feel for you. I just want you to remember that. Don't forget how I've hurt you, I'm not asking you to, but please just know when I say that I'm in love with you, I mean it."

 

I was sobbing, trying to look away but he made me look at him with chaste kisses all over my tearful face/

 

"And lastly please, please promise me that you will do what makes you happy. Please."

 

The fact that it had finally settled to Henry proved that this was truly probably the last time I would ever see him again.

 

My heart began to race like it did the day someone close to me left. My legs turned weak. The reality of it began to sink into the marrow of my bone and before I knew it I was clinging onto the sides of his shirt, probably scraping at his skin as I held on.

 

I was acting on instinct not on what the right, smart thing to do was at the moment.

 

Unmindfully, I shook my head as I held onto him, my tears spilling down my temple onto his fingers.

 

His eyes softened and the friendly light I'd seen in them when I first saw them glimmered slightly before he closed his eyes and rubbed his nose against mine.

 

"Promise me.”

He begged, but I shook my head stubbornly and he kissed the corner of my mouth.

 

"I need you to promise me. There is just too much fire burning in you for you not to. Please. Do what makes you happy. It doesn't matter if you end up homeless or trying to make ends meet, if there is one last thing I will ask you, it's those two things."

 

I sobbed into Henry's chest, for no one had ever told me those words so candidly and so passionately before.

 

Unfortunately, I exploded and began to rumble what my true feelings wanted to say.

 

"Come with me…Let's run away together. Let's just go somewhere. Anywhere. We can make it work. I understand you and you understand me. We can do it."

 

I recall that the scariest thing I felt that night was my immediate willingness to run away with him. To see the world with him. To just let go with him.

 

As a teenage girl who often daydreamed about being carried away by the man she thought to be the love of her life, I nearly jumped at the chance.

 

I was so dangerously close.

 

To this day, I still wonder what would have happened. What would have occurred if I let myself get swept away by the tide of these feelings he gave me? I don't know. I'll never know.

 

Cause I clawed my fingers into his shirt and I clutched my eyes shut as I pressed my forehead against his lips.

 

"It's alright love,” Henry said conclusively but now I was fighting not to end it.

 

"It's not alright. It's not. We can fix it,” I begged frantically and he tried to wipe the tears from my face.

 

"Not right now. You were right. I don't want to ruin you. We both need some time."

 

"Please. Don't,” I cried pitifully wiping my eyes. I remembered begging the other person who had walked out of my life not to leave as well.

 

Henry sighed and pressed his lips against my hairline, breathing into my hair. "Peaches, don't do this…"

 

My shoulders stopped shaking as my crying slowed. Holding my face, Henry looked down at me, his eyes warm, unbidden, and simply just loving.

 

"I love you, okay? Don’t try to make sense of it. Just know that I do." When my eyes welled with tears again, he added with that soft, dimpled smile that had gotten me from the moment I met him,

 

"One day when I stop running, we'll run away together. Live on a farm up in Cheshire and have a bunch of little ones. Grow a bunch of apple and peach trees. It will be amazin', yeah?"

 

I shook my head stubbornly and Henry pinched my nose playfully.

 

“Not the end. Next time I meet you, you will be designing games, won’t you?"

 

He didn’t wait for me to respond, and tried to leave. I was seconds away from pouncing on him, stopping him and promising that I would nurture him and fix all his problems.


But even in that moment of hysteria, something strong within me kept my feet grounded.

 

I watched him walking away, not knowing if this was the last time that I would speak to him.

 

It was a very heartbreaking day, the day that I chose to save myself first before anyone else. The day he refused me to try and save him as well.

 

I didn't see it then. I couldn't see much really, with my tears blurring it all.

 

But just like a hurricane clearing up, when my tears eventually dried up down the line, the sun came back up.

 

And this was the best decision we both made for us.

 

Chapter 21 by notheruniverse

Chapter 21

 

 

4 months later

 

My smile was fickle as the stylist tried to zip up the bridesmaid’s dress up my back, but she had no success. My skin bulged out of the sleeveless dress. No amount of air-sucking or shimmying would make me fit into this dress.

 

I was too big for the dress and the wedding would be in a month.

 

The stylist came up in front of me, trying to mask her flustered expression. I’d only ordered the dress 4 months ago but needed far more alterations than the norm because I’d gained so much weight in those 4 months.

 

“I was able to zip it up…b-but…" words failed her as she tried to convey that I was spilling out of my dress and that the sight was as horrifying as it felt.

 

I was looking her in the eye, avoiding the mirrored walls flanking me and the large one behind me.

 

I braved a smile. “It’s okay. I'll just order another dress…”

 

"But ma'am, the wedding is in a month and it takes about that much time to order a dress since we don’t have it in store in this color. I’ll go ahead and ask them to make the adjustment here. It should be done before the wedding given that…well the weight doesn’t change but it shouldn’t change much in a month hopefully.”

 

Her face turned red as she tried to advise me without really advising me for fear of hurting my feelings.  

 

I took it all in stride.

 

When she was done with the measurements, I went through the motions, not hurt or even disappointed. Just…numb. Just…there

 

The horror of my weight gain weighed heavily on me and I didn’t know what to do or say.

 

“Thank you ma’am,” I said to her when we were done

 

I walked out of the store and the first thing that I wanted to do was eat.

 

So I ate.

 

Then I threw up.

 

And I felt guilty. Because it felt so good lying to myself that I’d reversed the action.

 

 

“Could you explain how you would code this for us?”

 

My heart was racing a hundred miles a minute. I don’t know what I was thinking when I applied for this job. It was the job for a programmer of a start up game company and I had very much underestimated the skill-level of programming that they needed. I stared at the function blankly because I was already so nervous.

 

I opened my mouth try and give a response but I was too busy trying to contain my anxiousness. My mind blanked out and I couldn’t think of what to do or say next.

 

The older white man gave me a knowing look, as though it was so obvious that ‘my type’ had no business applying for this job. I will have to admit that I dodged many of the horrifying interview experiences many black women in my field were subjected to because I was able to intern at my father’s company and get a job there afterwards, but that didn’t mean I didn’t face scrutiny.

 

This was the first interview I was having where I was very aware of my gender and race. I was the only female and black person that had showed up for today’s interview and I really took for granted how diverse my father’s company was.

 

“It’s fine, we can forgo that for now,” he said despite the fact that the job was based solely on coding. He did appear impressed that I worked at that company but upon viewing my last name and not being able to perform the code he requested of me right now probably gave him the assumption that I only got to work for my father due to my last name. If only people knew how difficult he had made my interviewing process.

 

“Tell me why we should choose you to work for Axar,” he said as he sat back with his hands linked above his stomach.

 

I uttered my rehearsed answer, but eventually flowed into my undisputed love for the gaming industry. I saw his eyes lift in intrigue a time or two as I professed my love for games in particular.

 

When I was done, he smiled, informed me we were done, and gave me the handshake a poker face that gave nothing of the real outcome of this interview. I already knew what the deal was.

 

I walked out of there with the feeling of shame and depression that I’m sure clouded many who left an interview kicking themselves for what they could have done different. I tried not to mule over my father’s past words that I would never last in the real world and that I should be so lucky that I was his daughter or else I wouldn’t have the job I have.

 

As I walked to my car, I saw a bright colored building to my right but refused to look. I refused to look, but the empty feeling inside of me grew larger as I walked away from that building. I grabbed my phone, and dialed Ella’s number.

 

It rang and went to voice mail. I called mom but she was busy. I didn’t even think about calling dad.

 

I stopped in the middle of the crossroad, getting bumped into by other pedestrians and looked to the heavens. I hate the fact that Henry popped into my mind and that thinking of his smile made me as happy as it made me sad.

 

I turned around and headed to the fast food restaurant. I had worked out rigorously earlier that day, so I saw that as a good enough excuse to throw up after I overate.

 

And of course I hated myself after, but I also felt strangely powerful for reversing something that could have been a few more unneeded pounds.

 

I hated myself.

 

***

 

A week later, I was clicking out of an e-mail that stated I didn’t get the gaming job I’d applied for. I had to be realistic with myself. Just because I failed that one time wasn’t an excuse to give up, but it didn’t diminish the amount of rejection I felt.

 

Closing the e-mail out I tried to focus on some of the current work at hand.

 

“Dad’s calling you.”

 

I looked up from the programming language on my computer screen to my co-worker Fred. My father and I were back on weird terms. He was caught up in his company’s acquisition of another start up with an idea he thought would revolutionize our company. When it came to Dad’s obsession, nothing could stop him.

 

I did my work dutifully. Was there on time, did the work as best as I could, and went back home. I barely saw him when I was here but if I did, he was uncharacteristically pleasant. And by pleasant, he actually would say hello if he passed my cubicle.

 

I could only imagine what I hadn’t done right of recent projects. Nonetheless, I stood up, self-consciously, and tried to pull my blazer down over hips that had widened the past few months.

 

I’d heard Fred crack a joke or two about the women at work and the only reason he didn’t include me is because I was the CEO’s daughter. I’d heard from the grape vine that my growing weight had been the butt of his jokes in recent weeks. From how distant I was to him, I knew he could tell I’d caught wind of his gossiping and he was doing everything to get on my good side, even asked me out to lunch once.

 

It made me disgusted with him.

 

“So the guys and I are hitting the bar after work, wanna come?”  He still tried. I had a retort at the tip of my tongue but that thing in me that always felt everything was my fault and that people deserved to talk about who I was held me back. I hated myself then so I just forced a smile and shook my head.

 

“I have plans,” I told him softly, hating how demeaning I was to myself and sped up to my father’s office.

 

I smiled at my father’s secretary who told me to go ahead and walk in. He was in the middle of a phone call, laughing with brightness in his eyes. I felt a twinge in me, remembering the very few times I saw my father like that with me. He was usually this way with his peers, a genius who could only laugh among other geniuses.

 

Not everyone had the privilege of entering Mr. Jones’ world.

 

I was surprised when his eyes grew brighter when he saw me. An uncontrollable burst of happiness surged through me when I saw this. I tried to get a hold of myself as I sat before him.  I was never supposed to get out of character in front of him. Not to get too excited. I once drew a picture of him when I was a child and ran up excitedly to show it to him. He was standing over some paperwork on the table. He was the one babysitting my siblings and I that night and I was just happy to be home with him the same time. Despite how focused he was, being so happy, I kept calling him and calling him excited to show him the picture I scribbled with love only to have him yell with an expletive. I was stunned into silence and even as he grabbed me by the arm and dragged me away from his work station. I was crying profusely hoping he would at least console me like mother would. But he roughly sat me on the chair and shook me telling me to be quiet. Scared into silence I sniffled as I listened to the old man tell me to read a book.

 

But my screaming had woken up my baby sister.

 

‘Now look what you’ve done! I don’t want you to be heard or seen when I am around! Peter?? Didn’t I tell you to keep an eye on her?’ he called for my older brother.

 

“You pig! Look what you’ve done! Stay quiet.” My brother chided me and someone else came to the rescue.

 

“Leave her alone!” the person said.

 

And I smiled, feeling protected and curled into this other person that was no longer there…

 

“Valerie, how are you today?”

 

My trip down memory lane was disrupted and I looked at the strange man in front of me. He was a stranger in many ways when he wasn’t looking so stressed and worried.

 

“Fine,” was my clipped response. I seemed to have put a damper on his mood because I wasn’t as excited to be here as he was.

 

“I have some good news for you,” He said he linked his hands together on the desk.

 

“Yes?”

 

“You and your team are going to receive the Young Leadership Award at this year’s Oate Awards.”

 

My eyes widened as my father grinned. His eyes lit with pride that I’d longed for all my life.

 

The Oate Awards had been handing out recognition to memorable work and projects for the last 50 years of the software engineering industry. I knew them because they even gave accolades to advancements in the gaming industry.

 

“And as the leader of the team, I am happy to announce that you, personally, will be receiving the award on behalf of the team.”

 

“Wow. I never expected that.” I was floored. My head had been in the books so long I didn’t really think of what the outcome for any of my actions would be.  

 

“Why wouldn’t you? You worked harder than anyone I knew in that office. First one in and the last one out. You dedicated yourself. Poured yourself into your work. I doubted you, but you proved me wrong with this Valerie. Great job.”

 

A flurry of emotions were just whipping through me. While I felt happy, I couldn’t deny the undeniable pain tucked within.

 

“This is great promotion for the company. It shows that we are hiring the best leaders, best engineers, best programmers. It shows that I make no mistakes when I hire. You did worry me there for a while, but you’ve shown me that you can work. But don’t use this as an excuse to slack off. Right now, the work is only going to get more taxing…”

 

And just like that, I was reminded why I was feeling pain. His company.

 

It all went back to his company.

 

He was happy because this was good press for his company.

 

“My daughter, my bloodline led this project. You did a great job representing us. Which is why I am placing you as head of the department. Congratulations.”

 

 

I wanted to tell him that I couldn’t do it. That I couldn’t handle it. Yes, I was vying for his approval last time, but it damn near killed me. I’d started overeating to cope. It would be so much pressure and more of me going to work doing what I didn’t want to do.

 

When I was out of the office,

 

I had the urge to throw up but there was nothing to throw up. I didn’t want to face my therapist because of my long list of lies that now I could barely tease them apart.

 

I grabbed my phone, went to my contacts, pressed the letter H in search for him.

 

But he was no longer there.

 

It made me cry harder. Then I and I started playing a game on my phone. I smiled through the tears but realized the high I got off of playing wasn’t the same because it just harshly reminded me of the path I’d taken. I looked around the small four walls of the bathroom stall and felt like I was suffocating

 

“Hello?”

 

“Delivery for Valerie is here.”

 

“Oh my god, thank you,” I gushed before hanging up and after washing my hands, raced to the entrance of the building to get my food.

 

It was one of the darkest afternoons I’d had to date.

 

I ate.

 

Then I threw up.

 

*****

 

2 Months Later

 

“Oh my god, everything is just going to shit basically,” Ella muttered in a fit as she raced out of the restaurant where we were all waiting for the wedding participants to arrive.

 

“What’s wrong Ella?” her sister and maid of honor called out to her.

 

“Just, everyone, leave me alone,” Ella murmured as she hurried out.

 

While everyone else listened, I stood up and raced after her. She’d walked out to the lawn where the wedding was to take place. Staff were still making sure everything was set up correctly for the wedding the following day.

 

The restaurant was remarkable and the wedding setting overlooking the beach was breathtaking. It gave me a bit of calm but it broke my heart to see Ella so broken as she sat on one of the white attendee chairs. With her elbows on her knees, she was rubbing her forehead and taking a few deep breaths.

 

I squatted next to her with great effort, pulling the hem of my skirt down.

 

“Relax, sweetie. This is supposed to be your day,” I said as I rubbed her arm consolingly.  

 

“Oh but it’s going to shit!”

 

I was surprised to see her crying and looked through my purse for some tissue.

 

“Ella…”

 

“Where is he? He’s late! All the people at the actual wedding aren’t even here and rehearsals are going to begin in about two hours. Dinner was supposed to start thirty minutes ago! Dad and his wife are late! Mom is acting funny cause Dad is bringing his wife. Oh god, Val, don’t have a wedding,” she said as she took the tissue from me and blotted her eyes as best as she could without messing up her makeup. “Just go to the courthouse.”

 

I twisted my mouth to keep my negativity at bay, ready to state that no one needed to worry about me getting married.

 

I sat next to her and rubbed her back soothingly.

 

“It doesn’t have to be perfect, you know?” I said to her, adding, “But I’m not going to act like I understand. It’s really stressful planning a wedding. But at the end of the day, as long as the two of you get married, who cares about anyone else? It’s about you two, not all of us.”

 

“I know but it’s supposed to be a celebration. Oh god I’m being such a diva right? Bridezilla is what they call us?”

 

“You’re not being a diva. You just want to celebrate your day. You may have had a vision of how this would go and it’s not turning out that way, but at the end of the day, come rain or shine, as long as the man you love is standing at the end of the aisle, and you meet him there so you can share your life with him? That’s all that matters. That’s what this is about. Tomorrow is about you saying ‘I do’, not everything else.”

 

She sniffled as her crying calmed down. It was after I stopped speaking that we realized someone had been standing at the entrance of the balcony. Peter.

 

“I’m glad you’re here you asshole,” Ella told him with a withering glance as she stood up and walked back into the building, evading him when he tried to hold her.

 

He sighed exhaustingly and muttered under his breath, “I love you too.”

 

I smiled at him. “Your big day is not too far off. Are you ready?”

 

I was surprised when he stood in front of me and gave me his hand.

 

At my surprise he rolled his eyes and made an impatient motion with his hand, “Come on.”

 

Suspiciously I put my hand in his as he pulled me up till I was standing in front of him. Pocketing his hands, he tilted his head and stared at me with the most apologetic expression I’d seen on his face since the night Henry and I had a huge blow out.

 

“I’m sorry,” He finally said and I lifted a brow. 

 

“What for?”

 

“I’ve been an asshole to you in the past. And I’m sorry.”

 

I was genuinely taken aback.  “I guess more men should get married. It seems to take their assholeness out of them.”

 

He smiled wryly as he shifted his weight from one leg to the other. “You should actually thank…someone else.”

 

At my querying expression he continued. “Just seeing how you’re there for Ella, she’s lucky to have a cousin like you. You’re not so bad after all. A bit of a Debbie Downer but, not so bad after all.”

 

I smiled and shrugged. “Thanks asshole.”

 

“Hug?” he asked with his arms wide open.

 

“Now you’re asking for too much,” I joked, and nonetheless smiled and gave him a hug.  

 

“Um, I also wanted to tell you something. But promise me you won’t freak out,” he said apprehensively after we pulled back.

 

“…What is it?” I narrowed my eyes distrustfully, “Was all of this just a set up—“

 

“Mate, I am so sorry I’m late! The traffic was so massive I didn’t think I’d make it. But I’m here. Rehearsals start at 7 don’t they? We’ve still got time, no?”

 

My mouth was hanging open. It felt like an electric shock went through me. That voice.

 

That voice…

 

I didn’t have enough time to act. My heart was thumbing loudly in my chest.

 

I was standing with my back to the voice and Peter could obviously see what gave me pause.

 

“I’ll go in and say hi to Ella first, or you think I should stay away?” the voice continued humorously with a touch of uncertainty.

 

“Go say hi first. She really wants to see you actually,” Peter urged him hurriedly.

 

“Iight mate. I’m sorry for interrupting ma’am, I’m—“

 

“Go man. She’s waiting for you. You’ll greet everyone later. Hurry cause she just wants to do a head count of all that are supposed to be here.”

 

“Sorted. And again, sorry ma’am! I like your dress by the way, whoever you are.”

 

I realized then that my hair was markedly different form the last time I’d seen Henry. It was a bit longer and bone straight. I was a lot bigger than the last time he’d seen me, then again I’d gone on a crash diet and unhealthily lost fifteen pounds in a month for the wedding.

 

“Hurry, Henry,” Peter pressed.

 

“Okay, okay, I’m gone,” Henry said and I heard his footsteps disappear.

 

I stared at Peter wide-eyed, “Please tell me he’s not—“

 

“I couldn’t have a wedding without one of my best friends. He’s like a brother to me.”

 

Last time I had checked, Ella had make Peter swear Henry off the wedding because of how their engagement party turned out. She affirmed to me that he was not going to be in it. That’s why I was so comfortable with being in this wedding, minus the weight issues, because I didn’t have to worry about seeing him.  

 

I felt no reason to badger her about it days before the wedding just to make sure. I wonder if she knew, but she had bigger fish to fry than deal with my reaction to finding out Henry was in the wedding, which is probably why she didn’t tell me.

 

“But why am I finding out about this now? Is this what you wanted to tell me?”

 

Peter sheepishly avoided eye contact, “Yeah.”

 

“You are so full of shit! That’s what the hug and smilies was for—“

 

“No. I really meant that. I thought the two of you were on good terms."

 

I looked at him like he was crazy and just shook my head. My legs still felt weak and my arms felt like they were about to fall off. Just from hearing his voice damn it.

 

My heart was still causing a racket in my chest and what made it worse was knowing that he could or would walk back at any minute. I shook my head in disbelieve.

 

“I can’t.” I paced the floor trying to figure out how this was going to work. I didn’t want to see him at all. I didn’t want him to see me either.

 

“I thought you were over him,” Peter said.

 

“I am!” I wailed.

 

“So why can’t you?”

 

“Don’t play these games with me, Peter. I am over him but he needs to stay the hell away from me and you tell him that.”  My sudden staunch attitude was surprising to even me, but only the heavens could explain why I was so afraid now.

 

“I thought you guys hashed things out,” he continued.

 

“There was nothing to hash out. He is nothing but a stranger to me. He means nothing to me. And he better not speak to me.”

 

I knew I made no sense.

 

“I’m confused. I thought you guys talked and came to an understanding,” Peter said, seemingly amused by my behavior.

 

“What’s so funny, Peter?”

 

“Nothing, I just—“

 

“And how would you know that me and him are on good terms anyway?”

 

“Henry and I have been talking. We’ve actually been talking a lot more than usual. He seems to be doing a lot better now.”

 

I swelled with happiness inside knowing he was doing better but refused to let that feeling engulf me.

 

“That’s good for him. Please just tell him to stay away from me. And not speak to me. I don’t want Ella’s wedding day ruined.”

 

You would think that after our last meeting that I’d come to terms. And I really thought I had. Until my heart dropped to my gut when I heard him. I felt angry and confused and happy. I was suddenly energetic and full of life but I also wanted to hibernate in the dark.

 

“Uncle Peter, Ella is calling all of us to have dinner quick so rehearsals can start,” Peter’s younger nephew informed us.

 

I tried not to glare at Peter as I nervously walked back into the building. I was being irrational making this wedding about me. It wasn’t my day and I had to go along with anything they had planned. I took a deep breath and stepped into the cozy restaurant.

 

 

Chapter 22 by notheruniverse
Author's Notes:

I will post the rest of the chapter later. Thank you everyone for reading.

Chapter 22

 

“Hey baby!” I felt an arm slip around my waist and turned to my side to see my younger sister, Bridgette. Instantly smiling, I hugged her tight, kissing her forehead.

 

“Hello my love,” I said affectionately, the love I had for her rushing through my veins. I hadn’t seen her in months and I was beyond glad to have her there. It was a nice distraction even as I heard Henry’s robust laughter coming from the other side of the room. Admittedly, I missed that sound but I couldn’t indulge in that. My love for my younger sister was all encompassing that even my confusion with Henry couldn’t overpower the feeling.

 

“You look amazing,” she told me and I smiled before tucking her head under my chin and tightening my arms around her again, hoping I wouldn’t crush her but knew better. While she was petite, she was strong due to her resistance training she did as part of being in her basketball team at school.

 

“Thank you hun. You look amazing yourself.” And she really did. She was a beauty and the only one in the family with freckles like me, though hers lighter.

 

We caught up on her studies while waiting for everyone to congregate, but the strong aromas of food sidetracked me.  It was making me dizzy and the hunger I felt from not eating enough the past few days was giving me one hell of a headache. I wanted to eat till I dropped but as the biggest girl among all the bridesmaids I refused to allow myself to. 

 

“You’ve lost a whole lot of weight, sis. What’s your secret?” Bridgette asked.

 

The innocence of the question struck me. Her eyes were brimming with curiosity and she had no earthly idea what I had done to lose so much weight.

 

I braved a smile and pulled her close. “Just, you know, working out. Eating boring foods. The normal way.” I tried to turn it around on her. “Now you tell me how you’ve kept this figure, honey.”

 

Bridgette had a high metabolism like my mother, and was very athletic, so there’s no surprise how she kept the weight off and barely gained even if she tried.

 

With a hand on her hip she shrugged and sassed me. “You know it’s just my good genes.”

 

I laughed and hugged her. “Silly goose. I love you so much and I’ve missed you.”

 

I did try to keep up with Bridgette, but as one of the more popular kids in her high school with an active life, she barely had time for me. She called me whenever she needed tutoring or advice on colleges or what to do with her life. I was always there for her but I realized not seeing her in a while had affected how I approached things. When I was around her, I had no choice but to be happy and strong and live as I should. She really was the only person I felt I had to do that for. I was there for all her break ups and other issues and made sure her self-esteem was where it needed to be. Maybe it was this pressing fear that she would turn out like me.  And maybe it was also the feeling that I wish I’d had that in my life.

 

But the amount of guilt that tore through me when she asked me how I’d lost so much weight was unbearable. I felt shame and disappointment.

 

Suddenly my eating disorder no longer seemed justifiable. Suddenly there was no excuse for what I did.

 

I suddenly felt so…selfish.

 

What would I do if I knew my precious baby sister was eating and throwing up? It’s not like I hadn’t had these worries or thoughts in the past. I had. My eating disorder started when I was away from my family at college, so I didn’t have to face them as much.

 

Since the eating disorder had reached its most troubling apex, I really pondered what would happen if she ever knew about it. We didn’t talk as much as I liked and she had a very busy, active social and academic life that she seemed to be just fine. But what if she was throwing up everything she ate like I was? The thought sent a shudder through me.

 

As I watched her laughing and joking with our twin nephews, I recalled all the times I’d laughed and smiled just to save face in front of family. I was so believable that no one believed anything was wrong.

 

What if she was facing some turmoil even with the huge smile plastered on her face?

 

I would go mad. I was supposed to lead by example. Yet there I stood in front of her a hypocrite.

 

Seeing her and seeing all of this family was forcing me to stare at my own reflection.

 

Another young cousin slammed into my legs filled with glee and I played with her a little while. Throughout it all, I heard Henry’s voice and laughter in the background.

 

At that point someone cracked a joke and his loud laughter reverberated through the restaurant. I couldn’t help but seek him out amongst my family.

 

His hair was a lot longer than I remembered. He wore a light blue shirt, his long legs clad by dark blue jeans with black boots. He really did look out of place standing among my very conservative family, but that’s what kept most eyes on him. He was standing with his arm around a slender olive-skinned woman with dark, long, curly hair. She looked much like the models he usually dated and was beyond gorgeous.

 

The level of jealousy I felt was much worse than when I saw him online with different women, all with the same physique. He obviously had a type.

 

And of course that was the time his eyes fell on mine. Electricity shot through me. It was like my heart pumped and sent a shock wave through my entire being.

 

I had to look away.

 

This behavior of mine was so embarrassing, so immature, and so uncouth but the only thing I could think to do was run away. I distracted my cousin with a playmate and started walking out of the restaurant, not knowing where I was going.

 

“Valerie!” I heard from behind me and went faster. What was this feeling of being exposed when I looked at him? All the feelings I buried and masked around others began to creep to the surface now that I saw him.

 

I would never be able to understand it. All I knew was that I had to get away from it.

 

“Val!” I heard him again, so loud I was sure everyone in the room heard. I felt his hand on mine and clutched my eyes shut, damning the whole world as he stopped me.

 

“Hey!”

 

His brilliant eyes studied me, and he seemed so genuinely happy and even floored to see me. There was a glow to his eyes, one I couldn’t quite describe. If I wasn’t mirroring his expression, I was feeling it inside. Seeing him in the flesh brought me such inexplicable joy.

 

“H-How are you?” He wet his lips nervously. “I…it’s so good to see you again…”

 

His shoulders rose and fell as he eyed me. His hand was still clasped around mine.

 

He stepped back as he run his eyes down my frame and back.

 

 

“You look different…” The tone of his voice was unclear.

 

“Valerie, Ella said we need to get the flowers from the car, but I don’t know where it’s parked.” Ella’s brother, Tom came into view, standing between Henry and I. I quickly extracted my hand from Henry’s hold.

 

“Good to see you Walker.” I glanced at Tom. “I’ll show you where they are.”

 

“Do you all need any help—“ Henry called out as I walked off, rubbing my temple. My head was pounding fiercely.

 

“No thanks, Henry. Tom, let’s go.”

 

By the time I had showed Tom the flowers, I was feeling exhausted and weak. I knew I had to eventually eat something before passing out. I came across Ella who was having an intense discussion with the wedding coordinator. The coordinator stepped to a nearby table to retrieve some papers and I chose then to speak with Ella.

 

“Do you need anything so far?” I asked.

 

“No. How are you.” She said more than asked as she bit on her nail nervously, concernedly eying the balcony where the wedding would take place.

 

“I was just checking on you before I go lay down for a few secon—“

 

“Okay,” she told me distractedly before focusing on the coordinator. Glad that the focus wasn’t on me, I hurried to the room we would be staying in at the lodge.

 

I ordered tons of room service, knowing I would regret it later.

 

Thankfully the food arrived moments before the rehearsal. Surprisingly, I was only able to pick at my food. I was hungry to the point of feeling sick and began to wonder why I was such a glutton for punishment. No one created this turmoil but me.

 

People thought it was so easy. I envied people who just stared at food and saw food. I saw comfort but I also saw years of dejection. I saw food and I saw…me and George. I clutched my eyes shut and tried to rid the memory of stretch marks and rolls and double chins and panic ripped through me when I recalled eyes of disgust.

 

I was beyond feeling sorry for myself. I didn’t even know what I was right now. Just habit. An addiction. There was no longer any method to my madness.

 

It was just pure self-hate and wanting to punish myself almost for no reason other than because that’s the only way I ever expressed myself.

 

I went to the bathroom and knelt to throw up the little bit that I had eaten…

 

But as I hovered the toilet, it got deathly quiet. Save for the ocean waves that I could hear in the distance.

 

And for some reason…for many reasons…I couldn’t.

 

I simply couldn’t.

 

****

 

 

“I’ve been looking all over for you!” Ella bristled and practically dragged me to where everyone was standing around preparing for the rehearsal. It wasn’t to start till 10 minutes later but I could understand why Ella was nervous about everyone being in attendance.

 

“I’m sorry. My head was killing me.”

 

While a part of me felt very powerful for not throwing up, I was still feeling conflicted. But I was also tired of feeling conflicted and defeated.

 

Something had to give. And I knew that it was me.

 

I stole a glance at Henry.

 

There he was, absolutely composed. Cracking jokes, being the life of the party. I noticed that wherever he stood, the area around him was always filled with smiles. Always.

 

I looked towards the ocean and as the coordinator began to prepare for rehearsals, I thought how each and every person standing here had their own tribulations. We all had our personal demons. But why was it that some of us turned to addiction to cope? I thought of Henry’s father and his addiction. We had to hold on to something because we couldn’t simply deal.

 

Did that make us weak? Or were we just products of our environment?

 

Didn’t addiction have something to do with genes? Were we predisposed to be addicts or were addicts just people who made poor decisions? These thoughts, they never had a definite answer and the situation always remained the same.

 

Why was I like this and why couldn’t I stop fucking thinking of why I was like this?

 

“Ma’am? What’s her name?”

 

“VALERIE!”

 

Snapping out of it, I turned from the ocean to find that everyone was staring at me.

 

“Please,” Ella breathed deeply now, smoothing her dress as she realized she might have screamed a bit too loudly. “Just stay focused.”

 

Peter put his arm around her. “Baby, relax. You’re taking this too seriously.”

 

Ella pushed his hand away, insulted by his blasé attitude when she was sweating buckets over planning the wedding.

 

I refused to look at Henry but felt his eyes on me.

 

“I’m sorry, it’s your turn to walk down the aisle.” The wedding coordinator told me. Everyone was looking. I tried not to think of how my body looked in their eyes. I was a prisoner of my own making, bound to my body image. I really hated it. 

 

What I needed to be doing was thinking of Ella. This was not a day to be preoccupied with my issues.

 

I put on my best smile and squared my shoulders.

 

“I’m sorry.” Pretending that the bouquet was at my navel, I walked down the aisle with my assigned groomsman, looking straight ahead at the setting sun beyond Tilden’s cityscape with the ocean lapping before it.  

 

When we were all standing at the altar, Henry’s ‘friend’ began to belt out a song and we were all enraptured not only by her beauty but even more by her voice. We all ended up clapping and I was pea-green with envy I wished I could diminish. I couldn’t help but look at Henry to find him eying the woman with so much admiration. When I looked at them both, they really did match each other. I couldn’t even imagine what Henry and I looked like when we stood together. Probably mismatched.

 

Rehearsals went pretty all right from that point forward.

 

At the end of it all I was standing at the altar while the coordinator spoke with the bride and groom when I saw Henry approaching me from the corner of my eye. I figured the rehearsals were probably over and started to exit the balcony. 

 

“Your voice is absolutely amazing. I’m really blown away,” I said to the beautiful singer in passing.

 

“Thank you so much!”

 

I was about to ask her how it felt to live life being so beautiful and so talented.

 

“I think we’ll need to shorten it,” Henry’s voice from behind me distracted me.

 

“I think your girlfriend did just fine,” I stupidly blurted before I could control myself.

 

“Girlfriend?” He lifted his eyebrows.

 

“I would rather die than ever be linked with this toad.” The singer said.

 

“Likewise, gremlin,” Henry retorted with his signature smirk.

 

“She’s not my girlfriend, I don’t have one. She just works for me.”

 

“He means we work together.”

 

“She’s on my new label that I’m working on,” he said looking me directly in the eye

 

I wanted to find out more about the label he was working on, but I was just too distracted by him standing so near. I didn’t even know if this was real.

 

“It was nice to meet you,” I said to them both as I departed.

 

“Valerie,” Henry called out to me, trying to stop me but I flinched when I felt his touch.

 

“I’m sorry Henry I have a bad headache. Have a good evening.” With that said, I walked away and never looked back.

 

The sound of the waves beneath the chatter among the wedding participants really got to me as I escaped.

 

And the sound drew me closer to the brewing storm that I was trying to escape.

 

Something was going to happen this weekend and I was sure of it.

 

***

“Hey mom!” The drink in my hand had me in better spirits and being friendlier than usual. The wedding was a success and everything went smoothly. The weather was perfect and it wasn’t too windy, so the waves lapped the shore gently. 

 

Tears were shed, congratulations were cheered, and smiles filled every face in attendance.

 

I actually felt pretty good as I kissed my mother on the cheek, who was surprised by my cheery attitude.

 

“Hey dear. You look so happy.”

 

My mother smiled at me and that was one of the times I was awed by her beauty which was enhanced by the professional make up we all had done today.

 

“I am. I’m happy for Ella,” I said.

 

I truly was. The way she looked into Peter’s eyes with such love, one couldn’t help but be happy.

 

“You’ve kept a good amount of weight off of you. You look great!” The immense approval from her grated my nerves a little, but I brushed it off easily as I sat down next to her, determined to remain in the same good mood I’d woken up with.

 

Another reason I felt great was because I had eaten pretty healthily and at good portions too. That’s why I had a good amount of energy. Not throwing up at all also had lots to do with my energy mostly on an emotional level.

 

I felt like I had conquered a milestone and went through an entire day without any shame. I could talk to my little sister without shame. I could talk to all of my family without feeling like I was hiding something. It gave me a bit of strength that maybe things would be okay in the future.

 

“Wasn’t that the fellow at your birthday earlier this year?”

 

My smile wavered when I saw whom my mother was referring to. Henry was seated with the gorgeous singer at their assigned table. There was a twinkle in his eye as he watched the entire wedding in admiration. He looked very handsome too.

 

The groomsmen wore grey suits, white dress shirts, and baby blue ties. Henry being the tallest of them stood out. I couldn’t stop staring at him the first time he came out and I felt his eyes on me quite a bit but we kept a respectable distance away from each other.

 

The day was literally for her and only her, so I had no time to worry about running into Henry. He seemed to get the idea and didn’t approach me again. If we bumped into each other we gave each other respectful distance. We’d only said a brief hello to each other when we first saw each other. Being around him still made me nervous but I think we were both in the same mind-frame that today wasn’t our day and put any issues we may have had aside for Peter and Ella.

 

“No. I think you have him confused with someone else,” I told her as I sipped on some champagne.

 

“I usually don’t mistake faces. I’m pretty sure that’s him. Wasn’t he the one who was sucking your face after taking you outside on your birthday? And he brought you all those peach balloons didn’t he?”

 

I usually thought that my mother didn’t pay that much attention but she would always surprise me months later by remembering details.

 

Taking a huge gulp of my champagne, I cleared my throat, “No mom.” 

 

It made me uncomfortable because we never had these kinds of conversations because she never had to worry about me doing these kinds of things.

 

“Just as I expected. He moved on to the next one didn’t he? She is pretty, the woman he brought with him.” We all had assigned seats and Henry just so happened to be seated with the singer. I was surprised when Ella walked up to their table and took Henry’s hand to dance with her and Peter. That really made me happy and I could see in her eyes that she had forgiven him.

 

“That’s not his girlfriend. That’s his artist,” I explained, almost too defensively and finished my champagne too quickly.

 

“Is that the new lingo for a pimp and his whore?”

 

I nearly choked. “Mom!”

 

“Oh I’m kidding! I’ve had too much champagne.”

 

There were already three empty flutes on the table.

 

“Well maybe you need to stop,” I took her half finished glass from her and began to sip from it as I was done with mine. “His artist as in he owns a record label.”

 

“Does he?” My mother lifted an amused eyebrow. While she was always impressed with entrepreneurs I was surprised because last time I checked, she deemed his career ‘easy’ and not ‘of the serious kind’.

 

“He’s actually very successful. He even owns a few nightclubs and restaurants. Don’t let the boyish smile fool you.”

 

I was watching him as I spoke, feeling of prideful. I didn’t get to talk about him much or his accomplishments, but was very boastful of his achievements. Also knowing the struggle it took him to get there, I appreciated his success that much more.

 

“Do you still want him?”

 

My mother’s pointed question made me wonder just how obliviously open I was when speaking about him. I immediately got defensive.

 

“No. I never did. That was just something to do at the time. We’re very different people. From different worlds. We don’t relate.”

 

She studied my face and I turned away before she could read anything. Then she shook her head at me with a weak but knowing smile as she gazed back at a group of men standing at one corner of the ballroom. “I said the same thing about your father.”

 

My father stood silently among other older men as they discussed who-knows-what. Whenever he was in a group, he was the most silent and I attributed it to him either obsessing over the business deals he could be handling or him listening to other people’s business ideas. Such ceremonies were of no value to my father and I knew my mother’s power over him was the only reason he was in attendance. I hadn’t spoken to him all day but he didn’t seem to mind.

 

I didn’t either because I had nothing to say to him.

 

“For all his ways, he never strayed from his family,” My mother continued affectionately and I was taken aback by the glazed look in her eyes. They were both not very emotional people and I only heard of them speak fondly of each other’s career accomplishments, but not their accomplishments of who they were as people. “Looking at Ella’s situation, divorced parents, your father is really not as bad as everyone thinks.”

 

It was nice to hear my mother speak of my father like this. I wished for a moment we had more talks like this.

 

She smiled wistfully. “He reminds me a lot of that strapping young man, George. I really thought you two would get married.”

 

And just like the rug had been snatched from up under me, I fell to hard cold reality. All the blood drained from my head and my entire demeanor changed once she uttered his name and with such admiration.

 

I froze and the negative reaction towards hearing the name that made me sick made its way through my body like the monster it was, carrying with it dark memories.  

 

“You know if you’d married George it would have been a very big wedding. Your father would have really liked that. George doesn’t come from the greatest family but he has built quite a name for himself and your father was and still is very fond of him. We loved him so much. Couldn’t you guys just work things out? I truly believe he loved you.”

 

I was sitting very still and wanted to throw up. Not out of my eating disorder, but simply because the mere thought of George made me fucking sick.

 

My mother picked up the disappointment on my face and could probably sense me retreating because she hastily continued.

 

“I wasn’t trying to upset you. You’re not really like other women Valerie. You’re a workaholic when you want to be, but you have to learn when to soften up a little bit. Honestly, George was the only one that was going to put up with you because you are so closed off and have refused to open up to anybody. And you can be so negative which most people don’t like being around but you changed around George. Your demeanor changed. You seemed so happy with him. I was just saying that he was a great catch—“

 

I slammed the tulip glass on the table and stood up. “Of course you would think that. Of course you would. If you only knew.” The alcohol already had me emotional and I couldn’t hold anything in like I would under normal circumstances.

 

“Valerie.”

 

“We’re done talking. I’m tired of you and your husband. Maybe you guys should have put me up for adoption and adopted George instead. That should do the trick and solve all your ‘what could have beens’.”

 

Ignoring her gasp, with my champagne in tow, I hurried out of the reception as quickly as my heels would allow. Tears threatened and were rolling down my face by the time I made it outside until I was standing behind a tree that shielded me from the party.

 

I didn’t drink frequently so when I did I obviously had no filter. I’d never been drunk around my parents and was fearful of revealing just what had truly happened between George and I. The shock on my mother’s face hurt me as I strove to never defy her or my father. I needed to move away so that I could stop all these lies when it came to my feelings. It was becoming exhausting.

 

But I was allowing it to. Why did I feel like I owed all my allegiance to my parents? It was my choice to stay but there was this paralyzing fear that kept me from escaping this cage. I allowed this fear to terrorize me so long I didn’t know how to live with it other than develop addiction habits that were torrentially destroying my body.

 

I successfully wiped my tears and continued to nurse my drink, looking over the ocean and trying to enjoy the beautiful day.

 

“Peek-a-boo. I see you.”

 

I froze, my spine straightening as I sucked my breath. I was just about to make my escape, but at that point, I realized that I was being beyond silly. This was not the behavior of an adult.

 

I couldn’t keep running.

 

So I stayed.

 

I embraced the fear, and I stayed.

 

Chapter 23

 

Henry finally showed his face, and I forced myself to stay. And so did his warm, inviting smile.

 

“Hey,” I said, barely audibly. I glanced at my drink cautiously, “Oh, I’m sorry, I’ll—“

 

“No don’t be silly. You can drink around me. I won’t combust.” His voice was very calming. Like a balm used to soothe an ache. Or a lullaby used to lull a child to sleep. But that feeling of calm brought a surprising burst of panic, more fierce than before, that nearly made me turn and leave. I forced myself to be still.

 

He leaned against the tree bark with his hands pocketed and one foot crossed over the other. Just as suave as could be.

 

“You’re literally running away from me. It’s a bit hilarious.” His crooked smile and eyes made me feel so alive.

 

This is why I was running. The storm was getting closer. And because we were far away from the loud music, we could hear the ocean. I recalled what happened last time I was around him and the only sound I could hear other than my nervous breaths were the ocean waves.

 

With heated cheeks I looked away.

 

“I’m not running away. I wish you’d just stop following me.” I sneered because of how he made me feel inside, rounding the tree until we were on opposite ends of each other, divided by the tree.

 

“I’d follow you to the ends of this earth if I had to,” he said with a soft smile. He moved around the tree to look at me and I looked away nervously, going the other way.

 

“You must really think I’m easy if that was supposed to work. I guess I didn’t put out long enough anyway did I?” I tried not to recall that memorable evening. The night I foolishly thought I could handle such an emotionless and physical arrangement. Who the hell was I fooling?

 

He was smiling. I couldn’t see it, but I could feel it. "How have you been, Valerie?"

 

I closed my eyes, savoring the sound of his voice. The sound alone made me feel like everything would be okay. But I hated that I needed to hear his voice in order to feel that way.

 

"Fine. You?" I finally replied.

 

"Good. I'm good."

 

"That's good."

 

He moved around the trunk again until we could see each other. Mentally I continuously cursed him for seeming so undisturbed while I was doing all I could not to fidget. Once again I had no control over my body when he was around. I hated this shit.

 

"You look really pretty you know."

 

I scowled at him.

 

When he saw my scowl he playfully widened his eyes fearfully and hid behind the tree trunk again. I looked away so that he wouldn’t see how hard he made me smile. A different part of me was awakening. A playful side that I remembered only around my baby sister, someone who abandoned me, and George.

 

It was amplified whenever I was around Henry and I was realizing now how frightening it was. These first world problems we had. They seemed so trivial but felt like the world when we were submerged in them.

 

Thoughts of fear placed me in a battle and I tried to protect myself.

 

"You’re saying it so much like you're trying to convince yourself." I refused to make the same mistake and fall for the same lines.

 

"I'm saying it cause it's what I think and I know it makes you uncomfortable."

 

"You're trying to make me uncomfortable?" I accused and he showed himself.

 

"It's exciting."  The devilish fire in his eyes made my cheeks burn and I tried to credit that to the champagne but knew better.

 

He smiled with chagrin, seemingly easing off of me as he looked about the picturesque park.

 

"I'm sorry. I'm a sad lil' twisted monster, aren’t I?"

 

I rolled my eyes despite the butterflies his dimpled smile gave me and he grinned. He knew that he’d got me.

 

After a few shy smiles, it grew quiet and we both seemed to just enjoy each other’s presence, not needing to say a word. The ocean waves sounded again.

 

I longed for these moments and for a brief moment wondered why I hadn’t strove to feel this way on my own.

 

I hated to think that I needed to be around anyone to realize that life wasn’t all that bad. The sun was setting, which created a gold landscape across the park. I looked out to the ocean a few miles up, the manicured lawn, the sparse clouds drifting in the sky. Then I started to imagine computer-generated imagery and began to think of how amazing this would look in a role-playing video game.

 

"What are you thinking?”

 

“Nothing really,” I murmured.

 

“You okay?” he asked a bit more seriously this time. 

 

I was in the eye of the storm. My heart was in my throat. I suddenly felt the need to collapse on him, but didn’t want to be so vulnerable. So needy.

 

"I'm okay,” I said above a whisper just as my eyes watered and I tried to smile but by then I’d given myself away. “You ever made a mistake, one so horrible you wish you could take it back? That you know everything would be different if you could take it back?”

 

Henry’s eyes were alarmed and he gasped quietly. “Valerie…” be breathed, his voice tinged by shock as he approached me but I flinched away.

 

“You’ll turn your back on me like everyone else.”

 

“No I wouldn’t,” he promised. Immediately.

 

“Funny thing is, that’s what George said.”

 

“Who is George?”

 

I wanted to blurt it out. I wanted to tell him everything. But I was stricken with a fear so paralyzing so controlling that it hurt to breath just thinking of what I wanted to say. Henry reached for me and I moved away.

 

“No. Don’t,” I croaked as I wiped my tears, letting the glass plop onto the cushiony grass.

 

He held my hand to still me. “Valerie, look at me…”

 

“Why?” I hissed. “So I can take a mental picture just in case you leave again?”

 

Guilt engulfed his features. “I won’t leave again. I swear it.”

 

I was inconsolable. The dam had broken and the tears flowed freely from my eyes. I didn’t bother wiping them any longer.

 

“I never meant to hurt you…”

 

“It’s not about you. It’s about me. I’m crazy.” I started trying to walk away from him.

 

“No you’re not.” He stopped me again and I glared at him.

 

“How do you know? I have a fucking therapist. That’s what Daddy said when he saw me crying. He told me that I needed professional help. He didn’t try to sit down and help me. He just told me he was going to get me help and that he had work to do…”

 

I shook my head with a bitter smile with my eyes downcast.

 

“You should have seen his face Henry. He got so uncomfortable. It was just like when I was younger he just sat me down and told me to be quiet. He did the same thing now the only difference is he just sent me to a therapist.”

 

Henry frowned deeply as I looked down at me. By then the truth began to burst out of me in little spurts.

 

“I think…I think that hurt me more than what George did…”

 

“What did George do?” Henry asked patiently.  I opened my mouth, then remembered that I would probably not see Henry again after this. It made me frustrated.

 

“What’s the use? You’ll just run away. They always run away when it gets to be too much. Why can’t I just be like you or the rest of them? You all are strong. You don’t feel sorry for yourself. You can handle it. Why can’t I handle it? It’s called life. It’s called life…” I was stepping back but Henry held my arms in place.

 

“Everyone is not as strong as you think. We all deal differently.”

 

I laughed sarcastically while shaking my head, thinking of all the times I was bent over a sink or toilet bowl trying to throw up. “If you learned how I dealt…”

 

I hated how I was acting but an avalanche of emotions began to tumble. This was the hurricane I was trying to avoid around Henry.

 

I couldn’t lie around him.

 

“Stop.” He said quietly as he held my arms and brushed my hair. “Stop…”

 

I was so overwrought with emotions I was shaking slightly.

 

“It’s okay,” he murmured quietly.  “There’s nothing wrong with you.”

 

I clutched my eyes shut as the painful memory stabbed me. “That’s what George would say and then...”

 

I paused. I knew that this was it. I knew that I was finally going to tell someone about it. What I’d been holding within me for so long. My mistakes. My stupidity. How vulnerable and needy I was.

 

 

“Talk to me. Tell me what’s wrong.” I hesitated, wondering if I could do this. I would change forever if I told him because I hadn’t told anybody everything. Not even Ella.  

 

“Come on. Come with me. If only for tonight, just trust me.”

 

His hands were on my shoulders and he looked at me intently. “Today is all I ask for. Not for me. For you.” He paused and then added, “You need to.”

 

At that moment I just let it all out and basically collapsed on him, putting all my weight on him. But a harsh memory made me pull back, but Henry pulled me back in and held me closely, strongly kissing the crown of my head. The way his hands rubbed my arms and my back was so reassuring, it’s like he was releasing the tension I’d been having within me in the form of tears that soaked his shirt.

 

I realized then that try as I might, I couldn’t lie to this man. And I could count on one hand how many times I’d actually met him face to face, yet I was more honest around him than people I’d known since I was a child.

 

But then, I’d felt the same thing with Gregory. Just as the troubling thought crossed my mind, Henry took my hand and led the way.

 

“Come on.”

 

***

 

“Care for a SeaBurger?”

 

We’d just gotten off of Henry’s motorcycle and he was holding my hand while we crossed SeaBurger. With his bike it was only 10 minutes away from the reception. All the pictures had been taken and people were still just partying at the reception so I didn’t feel too bad about not being there.

 

I was hungry but I was too nervous to eat. I simply shook my head. Gnawing on his bottom lip, Henry drew me closer and looped his arm around my shoulders. His jacket was off and he hooked it with his fingers before slinging it over his shoulder.

 

As we walked down to the beach, I was conflicted between being nervous and relieved. I didn’t know what was going to happen.

 

The beach did give me fond memories when we were all playing ball. It was also the first place Henry and I kissed.

 

We eventually sat down with Henry behind me. I was in between his legs, both of us facing the ocean. Laying on my side, the front half of my body rested on Henry’s torso and arm while my legs were curled. It was still bright outside as we watched the waves crushing to the shore. I would be fine just sitting there with him that way, completely broken and unpretentious, but when Henry spoke he reminded me why I was here.

 

“Tell me what happened,” he implored gently as he gently massaged my neck and shoulder. I nuzzled his arm, gripped with fear once again.

 

“You don’t have to talk about it if you’re not ready. Whoever he is he just seems to bring out the worst in you.”

 

“He was the biggest mistake I’ve ever made,” I blurted before I could change my mind. I only realized I was gripping Henry’s arm tight when his arm flexed. He continued to caress my neck and I calmed a little, knowing I was going to be stepping into the pool of fire I’d been avoiding for the last two years or so.

 

“He was the first guy I fell in love with who claimed to love me back, so of course I fell hard,” I began my trip down memory lane.

 

"The last time I trusted someone, I got hurt very badly. He was someone I met in college. We took the same class. These guys on the second day were making fat jokes about me and he cursed them out and came to sit by me. Those were his friends.

 

"George wasn’t one of the cool guys but he’d always longed to be. He played college baseball and tried to fit in as much as he could, but our college was a bit elitist. He could never fully fit in, even with those who he claimed were his friends. But one thing he had over most people was that he was really smart. He came from a lower middle class family and the pressure to succeed was so much. One semester he didn't do well because his mother was sick, and he was having to work since they couldn’t afford healthcare, there so much going on and he lost his scholarship. He was worrying that all his hard work would be in vain, so I helped him get a paid internship at my father's company. 

 

"At that point my father's business was still struggling, and he was about to throw in the towel. Tilden is so competitive, very competitive. There are so many startups and the age gap no longer helps those who've been in the industry longer. We have younger people innovating successful things because they understand what this generation wants better than some CEOs who have been in the industry for years. The thing about the technology world is that it is ever-changing. You never know where the next big thing will come from.

 

"George was shy about his ideas and asked me if I could pitch them to my father. I should have known though with how strict he was about my father crediting him for his ideas, but at the time it made perfect sense because this is a dog eat dog business and one valuable idea could make you a billionaire. If you did not protect that idea with your life, someone else could build a fortune and legacy off of you.

 

“Like a blind fool I helped him polish his ideas and helped him put up the presentation. The kind of work he wanted to do wasn’t my interest, so I wasn’t really worried about getting credit or my piece of the pie. My love was gaming and I considered George my best friend at that time. I was falling in love with him too. I was just too blind and to be honest, I was also desperate. I had never had a relationship. I was tired of always being the girl that the wing man tried to distract while my friends were lusted after.

 

“Guys only called me if they needed help with something school related. They only kissed my ass because they had knowledge of my father and his contributions to software programming. Whenever I liked them they made sure I knew my place. So when I found that George wasn’t embarrassed to be seen with me when we went out, and even started asking me to go places with him…I was so happy.

 

“He wanted to start up but didn't have the funds. I don’t know why I believed him or felt sorry for him. When I look back at it now, he didn’t want to put in the extra work to start on his own. He just wanted a short cut. After struggling so long, he saw this golden opportunity to make money fast.

 

“Anyway, I helped sell him to my father until they became a team and he became an asset to Earldet. He was hired before he even completed graduation and with his ideas, the company had a 40% increase in revenue. It pushed my father's business to the forefront. I had never seen so much adoration in my father’s eyes and my father actually looked at me differently. For the first time my father behaved like I had finally done some good.

 

"Let me not forget to mention that these persuasions became more frequent when he told me he'd fallen in love with me and wanted to be with me. How could I not believe him? I'd never had a boyfriend. Never been kissed. I was always told I was too disgusting and that I didn't deserve anyone because of how disgusting and lazy I was to allow myself to be so fat. So now I had a guy who was everything that I could want, who seemed to accept me for who I was, telling me he had feelings for me and he loved me.

 

"We played video games together. Went on dates. He’d kiss me publicly. My confidence had never been as high as it was. I was in love with him too by then and I jumped at the chance to be with him with open arms. Of course a part of me was skeptical, but the feeling was overshadowed with just wanting love and acceptance.

 

"Once he got chummy with my dad and was promoted quicker than I'd ever seen anyone promoted because of his ideas, he started changing. This was about six months into our relationship. One thing I'd missed out on a lot was physical affection. The passionate kissing stopped and there were times I noticed…"

 

The pain of the memory gripped and I covered my face because I’d never told anyone the gross details. Not even Ella. All she knew was that this guy had hurt me like no other but had no idea to what extent.

 

“Valerie…” Henry’s voice pierced through my thoughts as I sobbed.

 

"When I tried to kiss him he'd move away or sometimes we'd be sitting in the living room watching a movie and he'd be staring at me and there would be this look of…" I remembered the look of disgust and pain wrenched my insides.

 

"Whenever I ate he…"

"Val…"

 

"He didn’t say anything but his expression said so much. One time I caught him staring and it would have been better if he just called me a pig or said what was on his mind. When I caught him staring he quickly changed his expression, as though he was caught in the act, and smiled  before saying I was adorable.

 

“I ate it up. Like such a fucking fool. But I knew the truth, so I tried to stop eating but it was so hard. I tried exercising more. My insecurities began to get worse cause I'd see him flirting with other people. There's a time we went out and I tried to hold his hand but…"

 

I shook my head at the memory. Henry was hugging me to him, whispering apologies in my ear, but I could barely hear him. I was in the eye of the storm and nothing could stop me.

 

"I was in denial. I believed I’d finally found the one guy that loved me and believed him when he said he wasn’t too big on PDA. He used to say in the beginning how he couldn’t wait to show me how much he appreciated my body. He suddenly came up with this reason that he just felt weird doing it before marriage and that he wanted to wait." I rolled my eyes and fat tears spilled.

 

"I believed him. But one time we went out on my birthday and he was flirting with this girl in my face. I was so angry when we got home that day and he noticed and tried to calm me down but I was so upset. I was so dumb I believed him and we had sex for the first time."

 

I was breathing sharply as I spoke. 

 

"I remember thinking and feeling so beautiful. He was so passionate about it all. He looked like he meant every word. He looked like he'd just gotten a prize. I just felt like I wasn't a mistake or a nuisance or disgusting. Things were fine for a month or so, but then when we would have sex after that, it just wasn’t the same.”

 

I hesitated and looked at my wrists, remembering the marks on them.

 

“Sometimes…” the horror of it was something I hadn’t faced yet. My heart galloped and I refused to even acknowledge how I’d allowed something to ‘love’ me so brutally.

 

I thought it was love. I really did. That’s what I kept trying to tell myself. That’s what I still told myself sometimes even though there were days the way George handled my body made me feel like he was punishing me.

 

I couldn’t bring that up now. I would be a mess.

 

“Eventually, about two months into when we became intimate with each other, I got this weird email of a video. The person stated ‘Valerie, I think you need to see this. Be careful who you trust'. I didn't know who it was from, which is what makes it eerie to me to this day, but I played the video."

 

"He was at some party, I'm not sure. I don't think he knew he was being recorded. Either he was too high or drunk, I don’t know. It looked like a party. Someone asked him how he could stomach being with me and he goes 'How can I see anything with that fucking stomach. She's like a fucking pig'. I remember every single word. They all started laughing.

 

“Someone asked why he was with me and he goes, 'My god, I don’t know how long I can keep this up. I mean, I've already pretty much cemented my position in the company, I'm just waiting on a new offer that I have at ESCAL Industries and I'll be out. Do you know hard it is to fuck her? I've never been so disgusted in my life. It's a miracle I stayed hard. My brainpower is amazing I had to keep thinking of someone else to get through it and be believable.'”

 

“You’ve got to be kidding me…” Henry muttered behind me in disbelief.

 

"He kept going on, ‘What's so fucking sad is she lay there like she really believed it' he was laughing as he said it. 'Like she really thought I was into it and fuck, I was so glad when it was over. She wanted me to cuddle afterwards, didn't have a choice because she was too heavy to push away."

 

“God…” Henry muttered under his breath. So much hatred and pain writhed within my body.

 

"What kind of person does that? What did I do to deserve that? Just because I was fat?"

 

I sighed shakily. "I was in so much shock I refused to believe it was me he was talking about. So I confronted him. I showed him the video. Then he started to say I was a despicable bitch jealous of the connection he had with my father. Yes, sometimes it made me envious but I actually appreciated it because my dad seemed a bit kinder to me.

 

“And he just became such an ugly person that night. I saw his true colors...”

 

I had replayed this scene multiple times in my head, and went back to the day everything shattered...

Chapter 23 by notheruniverse
Author's Notes:

this chapter had many errors. i have gone back to change them.

 

Chapter 23

***

 

“It wasn’t supposed to get this deep,” he stood across from me, and I could tell he was trying to gauge me. He’d never seen me so mad.


My hands were to my sides, balled into fists. Tears were streaming down my face. My head was pounding. I’d cried all night and all day.


“Don’t give me that bullshit, George. Now I know the truth. Now I know why you’ve acted the way you did. You make me sick…”


He was quiet a while, as though debating how to trick me still. I’d shown him the video. He couldn’t come up with another lie now.


It was the sickest thing I’d ever seen, but it was like the mask came off with the real George revealed.


“In what world do you think this would ever even be a possibility, Valerie?”


My head jerked backwards as his words afflicted me.


“I hate to do this but I have to protect myself. Someone like you who grew up with a silver spoon in your mouth wouldn’t understand.”


He had taken stealth jabs at my privileged upbringing before, but I’d always brushed it off because he was never blatantly hurtful.


“I was drunk that night and said some things I shouldn’t have.” There was no apology to his tone.


“A drunk man’s words are a sober man’s thoughts,” I said distrustfully and he scoffed, shaking his head. He was seated against the dresser. Against the teddy bear he’d given me the year before on June 8th. My birthday. The first night he and I had sex.


The reason I hated my birthday.


“How do I know you didn’t take that video?”


His lazy accusation had me boiling in anger. “How would I have taken the video, George? I wasn’t fucking there! Aren’t I too big anyway to hide?”


He actually found humor in that and cackled, but his expression grew dark.


“Two can play this game little girl.”


A trickle of fear went through me. His eyes were so empty. There was nothing there. These weren’t the same eyes that had looked at me with so much passion and promised love to me.  These weren’t the eyes of the person I confided in about my troubles with my father. This wasn’t the person who held my hand the first few days we started dating and kept me by his side even when we got second looks.


No…no. This couldn’t be.


“I have a video of you asking for it, begging for it, sweating like a dog in heat. If you even tell your father or anyone about that video, you’re one click away from your sex tape being viewed by the whole world. And guess who would get the video first, that you are nothing but a dirty whore? Your dear father.”


It was like whiplash. What he was saying was so outlandish it was unbelievable. Clearly he was just bluffing. Clearly there was no video. I stared at the teddy bear. It was so fluffy and innocent. He got it for me the year before. He always tinkered with it when he came into my room but I never gave it a second thought. He specifically told me to leave it on the dresser so that I’d see it there when I woke up.


Bile rushed to my throat and I felt like throwing up. While I enjoyed the gift I wasn’t much of a cuddler so I’d left it there. I never thought twice about it.


“Y-You’re lying…” I stuttered weakly.


The horror of it all was so mind-boggling, so demented that I didn’t think even he would stoop this low.


“Oh?” He picked up the teddy bear from my dresser and held it up to me.


“Streamed right to my desktop.”


“Wha…why…” I felt dizzy with the wind gutted out of me and had to sit on the edge of the bed.


The creaking noise it made was obscene to my ears, reminding me of my weight. My cursed weight.


“I made the camera from scratch. I was trying to see if it would work.” His voice was nonchalant. No reaction at all.  


I was just a game. A means to an end for him. I was worth nothing and he just used me to get ahead and ‘see if his camera would work’.


I had never felt so much hate in every fiber of my being. I was fuming. It was a miracle that I didn’t lunge at him and attack him.


“I’ll press charges against you,” I swore in a barely controlled voice. Bit by bit I was disintegrating. Emotional pain rocked every limb. It was an out of body experience that I never wanted to have again. I thought back to all those months of laying in bed telling him what my dreams and aspirations were with him promising that I would go far and he’d be with me every step of the way.


All the love letters I’d randomly written to him just to express how thankful I was to have someone love me.


Thankful.


Thankful like I was one of the few lucky undesirable women that found that one guy that was different enough to give them a chance.


Thankful and so grateful for the hand out that I’d received.  


“And the video would still exist,” he continued, a little bite to his tone. “Once something is on the Internet, it’s there forever. You wouldn’t want that, would you?”


He was bluffing. Truly, he was. There was no way.


“You have too much to lose. You wouldn’t do this,” I said. Hoped.


His lips formed a straight line. Lips that had told me words I had never heard before him. Lips that kissed me in places no one else had ever touched. I suddenly felt dirty. I felt worthless and wanted to scrub all of him off of me. I wanted to peel my skin off and just become someone else.


He sighed resignedly and threw his head back in exhaustion, his voice filled with boredom. “I was drunk and I made a stupid mistake. Can’t you just let it go?”


Something told me that this wasn’t the first time George did this.


“If I hadn’t found out about this video, would you have even told me about the tape?”


It angered me that he looked so bored and impatient.


“You’re lying. You don’t have me on tape. You’re lying!” I started to scream while holding my head.


“Do you want to dare me?” He asked impatiently.


“Why are you doing this to me?!”


“I wasn’t doing it to you. It was just an experiment. I wanted to see if I could build the camera on my own.”


“And use it on me? Why would you do something so sick. Something so…”


“I was actually going to use it to make you think you’re beautiful. Something along those lines. But I realized I didn’t have to lie to you anymore. I’m sorry. You were just so guarded in the beginning. I had to break you down, Valerie. This is nothing personal. You are an amazing woman and I actually did fall for you but you’re just not my type. I know it sounds so shallow but…come on, I just want nice things, okay? I’ve worked so hard—“


“You’ve worked so hard! I did most of the work for you!”


“Don’t fool yourself. I’m a better programmer than you will ever be. I’m the reason Earldet is what it is today and you know it.” The fire burning in his eyes as he spoke those words showed me where George’s determinations lay.  


“Why didn’t you just fucking intern why didn’t you just work like everyone else had to I don’t understand why you would…I don’t fucking understand!”


“I did try to get into Earldet in the past but I was denied. And I couldn’t afford and unpaid internship. Valerie you keep forgetting that I don’t come from money like you—“


“But you don’t use people the way you used me.” I was so angry but I was more hurt than angry. I was immobilized where I sar, trying to make sense of it all.


I was crying in my hands. I felt so pitiful. So stupid. I’d given this guy money. Time. Done things I swore I’d never do only to end up the fool.


“Forget about that video and I will forget about yours. Say a word and the whole world will know. It was a mistake. We all make mistakes.”


I wanted to bring George to justice, I wanted him to pay for what he did. George was very smart and could release the video anonymously; they would never be able to trace it back to him. But even if I went to the police and declared him the culprit, the video would be out. It would always be out. I knew way too much about the World Wide Web that nothing was ever fully erased once it hit the net.


And then there was my father. My goodness, what would he say? Even if I told him that I never knew I was being recorded, it would soil the name he worked so hard build. It would be a fiasco. I didn’t want a fiasco.


This was the one time I should have damned the shame and took it all because this was my pain. My integrity was obliterated like a meaningless ant stepped on. But I was too used to sweeping things under the rug. Too used to being in the shadows. My parents were public figures in Tilden. This would end up in the media. I imagined all the stories that would come out of how stupid I’d been, an obese woman thinking that I could merely be desirable to anyone.


I knew I had to fight for myself, but just the thought alone of such a video existing.


“I do love you Valerie. I know it makes no sense. I’m fucked up, I know. But I do love you…Please. Try to understand. I just wanted a way out.”


We remained in silence and that is when I began to feel the numbness cocooning me. I had no fight in me. I became empty.


That was the last time I spoke to George and watched him walk out

 

***

 

I had stood up and was pacing the sandy beach while rubbing my arms. At some point I didn’t want Henry to touch me as I told the story because I felt disgusting.

 

“I-I know I was stupid. I should have gone to the police. Why didn’t I just go to the police? But I…”

 

When I realized how quiet it was, I braced myself to see what Henry’s expression would be like. Would it be disgust? Or maybe no expression at all?

 

Only when I looked at him, he had the most heartbroken expression I’d ever seen in my life.

 

His elbows were on his elevated knees, his hands dangling between his legs. He appeared to be distraught as he heard it all.

 

When I stopped speaking, Henry lifted his gaze to mine. I couldn’t face him so I looked away.

 

Only sounds of the ocean followed as I tried to collect my thoughts. Now that I had already told him mostly everything, there was no turning back.

 

“I stayed locked up in my apartment for days. I was in so much pain and shock wondering how I’d allowed this to happen. I watched and re-watched the video in the e-mail like a fool when I should have called the police. I was in such a paralyzing state of shock. An entire week passed before Ella was at my doorstep. I just told her that George and I broke up and couldn’t bring myself to say anything else. All I could do was say that he hurt me but I was so embarrassed because I felt like it was my fault. That I was gullible and an idiot.

 

“Ella really did try to be there for me. But nothing could make me better. Every time I thought of telling my mother I just felt shameful and that I would be blamed for my stupidity.

 

“One day the thought of the events bothered me so much I finally went to my father’s office. Silly me, I’d wasted so much time. George had already left the company and my father was really impatient when he saw me with tears in my eyes. I was confused and feared that George had told him what occurred but instead he was telling him George told broke up with me and that I was really upset and making up all kinds of things. He didn’t want to cause any discomfort in the workplace so he thought it best to leave.

 

“At that point my father was truly just angry thinking I’d ran George off, which meant my father could no longer use him or his ideas to continue the company’s exponential growth. I started crying trying to tell him what happened but I couldn’t speak. When George and I were dating I admit I dropped the ball and focused too much on the relationship.

 

“I was on cloud nine, just finally feeling all the things I thought every woman should feel at least once in their lifetime. Everything else stalled cause of the relationship and I’m not proud of admitting this. My father’s method of helping me has always been tough love, so I didn’t expect hugs. But I thought seeing me in the state I was in would change his approach.

 

“Not this time. In his tirade my father told me he was even tempted to fire me once for underperforming but George had convinced him to let me stay. Then he said I should be more like George and stay focused. That it wasn’t the end of the world just because of a break up.

 

“I was sure then if the tape was ever released that I’d be called irresponsible for somehow smearing my father’s name. He told me to put all my sadness into my work and said he was going to find a therapist for me.

 

“He said there was no time for tears. The heart of it is that he was so mad at losing George that he partially blamed me. So I allowed myself to be silenced and went through a very rebellious stage where I believed no one cared. You think I’m Negative Nancy now? Imagine what I was like after that.

 

“In my rebellion and shame I didn’t tell anyone, not even the therapist, details of what happened. I’ve just stressed that a past lover hurt me and that I had no one to turn to. I know seeing the therapist is important and has even helped me, but I still have that rebellion in me because whenever I sit across from my therapist, all I see is my father and how I can’t speak to him. It’s a reminder that he shut me down when I needed him. It’s a reminder that I need help and that I made such a stupid mistake. I’m too afraid of losing any respect my mother may have for me, so I kept it from her too. And then there’s my little sister. If the video ever got out, I’m just so afraid she would see it and just wouldn’t view me the same way.”

 

I felt exhausted, like I’d just relieved a huge weight from my back.

 

Breathing deeply, I continued to gaze at the ocean with its lapping waves as i spoke, "So there it is. My story.”

 

Silence followed.

 

I must have been so submerged in my thoughts because I never heard Henry get up and stand behind me. A tremor of shock shook me when I felt him wrap his arms around me from behind.

 

As I felt his strong embrace, I seemed to fall apart and curled my face into his arm as my eyes welled with tears.

 

“Part of my regret with George was me not acting and just retreating into a shell because I refused to deal with it. I wish I did something. Now it’s too late.”

 

“It’s never too late,” Henry said immediately, his voice quiet.

 

I was resting on the hard line of his body. I collapsed. And for a moment, I just let go of the restrain within my body.

 

We stood there for eons; I’m not sure how long.

 

I’d always daydreamed about this day. When I’d finally be able to just come apart to one person and not feel judged and finally feel accepted. When someone could finally take me away from the pain.

 

But the funny thing about life is it doesn’t go how we always hoped and planned.

 

I didn’t feel complete neither did I feel vilified or that my life’s work finally came down to this moment.

 

It was a humbling moment that even with the arms around me, speaking about it, as foggy as my mind was, made me realize that I couldn't find solace in someone else. It forced me to acknowledge just how integral I was to my own growth.

 

“I realize that my mistake has been, that I’ve wanted someone to save me. But then I realize that’s almost impossible,” I thought out loud as I looked at the ocean, my lips close to Henry’s sturdy arm. “I think it’s because there used to be someone that would always come to my aid when I was younger. They always stood up for me and took me out of bad situations.

 

“But when that person had to leave, I was left handicapped. I’ve always romanticized this idea of being saved and that my salvation would come from someone else. And I'm realizing that's not how it works. I’ve made too many excuses and allowed myself to be a victim a long while. And I've used that fear to keep me from moving on.

 

“Fear. Fear of facing my demons. Fear of rejection. Fear has ruled me so long I could only react to life by just…escaping. Escaping to safety. At my father’s company. Escaping with food. Escaping with burying my head in the books. Escaping with what’s safe by imagining the life I want instead of actually having the balls to go for it.  

 

“So when I hear stories about you having that courage to be uncomfortable and homeless and fearful just to get what you want, to get the life that you deserve, I wonder why I just can't have that strength." 

 

I worried my bottom lip, my head resting comfortably on his arm. “Realizing that it’s not the world and that it’s you who is the problem…”

 

“You’re not the problem Val.” Placing his hands on my shoulders, Henry turned me and made me look at him. The wind made errant curls blow across his face, and he looked at me intently. “You’re the solution. You have to believe that.”

 

It was true and so disconcerting that revealing this secret to someone else is what it took to enlighten me.

 

He frowned deeply. “I wish I knew all this Val, but now I can understand you better. I may never fully understand, but at least now I know." He lowered his voice and it was so gentle and reassuring that I was nearly moved to tears. "I do want you to realize that none of that was your fault. None of it.”

 

I winced, remembering how much I just wanted to hear my father say that. But I began to wonder why I hadn’t just found the strength within myself to tell myself that.

 

“You were and are a human being. You know that right?”

 

Henry’s words made tears rush to my eyes, his warm hands bracketing my neck with his thumb gently drying to tears that fell.

 

“I want you to love yourself more than any other person will. But one thing I don’t want you to get confused with is that being a victim and holding someone accountable for what they did are two different things. George is a monster and he should pay accordingly. What he did to you was inhumane, love. So don't blame yourself for it.”

 

The sound of George’s name singed my ears and I began to wonder how low my self-esteem was that I felt him secretly recording me was my fault. It did feel good to hear Henry say those words.

 

“I can't believe him. Someone needs to handle him.”

 

Henry pierced into my thoughts and I looked at him skeptically. Infuriation hibernated in his eyes and he was doing all he could to contain it. He hadn’t said much about the situation but I could feel the anger from him. It made me a bit nervous.

 

“Henry…”

 

He shook his head. “What a fucking coward. You are so lucky I don’t know him or where he is and you better pray I never find out his last name because I will smash the fucking bastard’s skull to bits. And that’s a promise.” There was a determined look in his eyes that told me he wasn’t lying.

 

I was daunted by this side of Henry. There must've been a lot of crazy things he saw when he was homeless and i'm pretty sure he had to learn to defend himself a couple of times. While he didn't strike me as the violent type, I thought the same of George. There was no comparison to the big heart Henry had in comparison to most people I’d met, but I’d known from experience not to put anything past anyone. The look of rage in his eyes as he detailed what he would do to George if he ever found him sent a chill down my spine.

 

As if sensing my discomfort, Henry's expression softened and his tense posture eased.

 

“I’m sorry,” he said tersely but the tone behind his voice was not regretful about his hate towards this man he had never met. As intimidated as I was by Henry's reaction, seeing his disdain made me feel like I wasn’t crazy for hating George’s guts.

 

A part of me wondered if this is how my father would react. I’d hoped this was how he would react. I guess I would never know.

 

Suddenly, I noted how the light had changed with the sun setting.  

 

We’d been out here for about an hour and a half.

 

“We should go back,” I told Henry as I stepped away and rounded him. Henry’s look told me that we had unfinished business, but again this just wasn’t our day to spend as we pleased. We were still part of Ella and Peter's wedding and it was their day.

 

The ride back to the reception was different. It wasn't longer languid and fluid like when we rode there. Henry’s muscles were taut and I was rigid, and I was no longer collapsed comfortably against him.

 

When we got to the reception, the sun had set and some attendees were leaving. I felt a bit awkward because a lot was still up in the air, but no longer knew how to conduct myself around Henry or even as a person. i was changed woman and there was still so much ground to cover but no time.

 

"Thank you for listening Henry. If you could please just keep this between us, I'd appreciate it." My tone was suddenly militant, as I felt a pressing responsibility to protect myself. This is Henry Walker I was talking to, not a friend that i would see everyday.

 

For all I knew, I wouldn't see him for a while. The thought alone hurt and I wondered why after all this time I wasn't used to walking away from him or vice versa. The moment I started to walk away, Henry pulled me back to him with his hands on my arms.

 

“Don’t run away from me," he beseeched desperately. My heart felt like it would jump out of my chest.

 

He breathed deeply as he slowly cupped my face, speaking above a whisper, "Please."

 

The desperation in his eyes touched me from the inside out and I helplessly moved my face till my lips pressed against his comforting palm. Sighing deeply, Henry relaxed and he whisked his lips against my cheek softly.

 

"You're so precious to me, do you know that?"

 

This was the second time he had said this to me but the feeling that washed through me was undeniable.

 

"Do you know how much? The fact that someone hurt you kills me, my love. It kills me that you've carried this burden all on your own."

 

When I looked at him and saw how crushed he was, my eyes watered.

 

"I miss you,” I blurted out as i clutched his shirt, unable to withhold it any longer and Henry grimanced and pulled me close to kiss my hairline.

 

"Valerie…"

 

“I miss you so much,” I admitted, feeling foolish but not caring at the same time and Henry pulled back, framing my face in his hands/

 

“Then just come with me.”

 

I felt so connected to this human being yet our discussion was incoherent and choppy. The feelings trailing within me were surprising mostly because I'd been feeling so dull lately. I was amazed and even scared what being around him awakened within me. I detested how I suddenly felt hopeful, blithe, excited, and curious about life because I hadn't found a means to get to this point on my own.

 

And that reminded me just how unpredictable Henry was and I suddenly felt unsure and even dreadful to be in his presence. It was the highest of highs then a low because I never knew what to expect from him.

 

He was so in tune with me that it was almost like he recognized my ambivalence before even I did, because he looked down at me concerned right before I stepped away.

 

My mind was a whirlwind. I couldn't make sense of this all.

 

“I need to be okay with being just me, you know?" I wrung my fingers as they itched to touch him and hold him but i wouldn't allow myself to. "I need to know that I’m okay without anyone assuring me. You understand, right?”

 

I avoided eye contact hoping he would agree right away. When he said nothing, I looked up to find dejection and hurt written all over his face. The sight broke my heart but I knew that for now this was for the best.

 

“Then may I have your number instead? I’d like to keep on talking to you.”

 

Again, I looked elsewhere. I wasn’t trying to be cute or coy, I was really unsure about giving it to him. I was in a very fragile state and unfortunately remembered our history and how he would say these things and end up missing for months only to come back with the cycle repeating. 

 

“Like in a few months?”

 

I wasn’t trying to be catty, just cautious. Henry sighed and plowed his fingers through his hair as he eyed the concrete to avoid my eyes. 

 

“No…more like, today. Tomorrow. The day after.” He looked up at me pointedly. “Everyday.”

 

It was tempting, but the feeling of guilt and shame overshadowed the feeling of being so unguarded. I had to keep the fort tightly closed.

 

“You give me your number and I’ll call you,” I said instead. I wanted to control the situation this time because he had controlled it when he wanted to. He patted his breast pocket and his pants.

 

“I don’t have a pen with me.”

 

“I’ll get it from Peter,” I told him and while he looked at me with some distrust, he had no choice but to accept my answer.

 

I could sense that he was feeling the same way I was, not knowing if this would be the last time we saw each other for six months or maybe another year.

 

I didn’t know. We never knew when it came to us.

 

So we just stood there silently, two broken individuals holding the pieces in our hands. We found comfort in each other but were obviously not good for each other at the moment. A part of me felt hopeful. Maybe because we had both revealed our inner demons we would have better communication and handle each other better.

 

Maybe this was the breakthrough we needed. I didn't have enough time to deliberate.

 

“Valerie!” I heard suddenly from behind me. My father was approaching us and I could  tell he wasn’t too happy.

 

“Come with me,” Henry suddenly urged while holding my hand and I looked at him like he was crazy. He must have sensed it too.

 

“Where have you been?” My father bellowed, nearing us. I tried to pull back from Henry but he held on tight.

 

“Just come with me and we can talk some more. You need to talk,” Henry goaded in a rushed tone. I felt like I was in some strange tag of war. This was all very familiar to me and I was so shocked at first I wasn’t too sure how to react.

 

“Where the hell have you been?” My father repeated, all the while looking between Henry and i.

 

“She was busy, sir,” Henry chimed in as he took my hand as he pulled me closer to his side. I froze, my heart shooting to my throat.

 

The way my father swung his eyes to Henry was a sign of an impending catastrophe. My legs turned to jelly from nervousness.

 

“Who are you?” My father inquired irritably.

 

“Dad—“ I pleaded.

 

“Henry Walker,” he said calmly. Comfortably. With the confidence of a lion. Their eyes were saying a lot more than words could ever say and I nearly fainted from all the tension.

 

My father’s eyes dropped to where my hands linked with Henry’s and he grabbed my arm and began to lead me away.  “Let’s go, your mother is upset with you.”

 

At first Henry didn’t let go but probably realizing I would get hurt, he reluctantly released his hold.

 

I looked over my shoulder at Henry who didn’t seem too pleased.

 

To my surprise, I resisted. “I’m coming, Dad. Give me a second.”

 

At my defiance, fire lit in my father’s eyes. “Now, young lady.”

 

“Didn’t you just turn 27 years old?” Henry asked behind us. 

 

Astonished, I whipped my head wide eyed at Henry but he didn’t flinch, his head tilted as he regarded us both.

 

“I’m sorry, but again, who in the hell are you?” My father growled as he galvanized towards Henry.

 

“Henry. Henry Walker.” Henry’s condescending tone, pausing between first and last name as he took a step forward with ease and seemed to spark an ire in my father.

 

 “No. What is your significance in my daughter’s life?”

 

“I love her.”

 

Dizzied, I grabbed Henry’s arm and began to lead him far away from my dad. “I’m sorry Dad, give me a second.”


“If you walk away with this boy…” He admonished. 

 

“Not boy, sir. Mr. Walker--” Henry said smoothly, with an undercurrent bite to his tone.

 

"Henry, please," I implored as we moved away from him.

 

When we were at a safe distance away from him I stared at Henry like he was insane. “What is wrong with you?”

 

“How old are you again? How can you let him talk to you like that?”

 

“That’s my father!”

 

“A father who abandoned you when you needed him most?”

 

Thunderstruck, I simply just stared at him. What he was saying was not wrong, but was now really the time? I breathed deeply to calm myself.

 

“Henry, I think—“

 

“I see your interaction with him and it explains everything. Everything.”

 

I was too stunned by Henry’s behavior to speak, and he continued.

 

“You don’t trust him. All you feel is fear around him. You want to please him and wont stand up to him. That fear you have built inside of you that you were speaking of earlier? I have a good idea now where it comes from.”

 

My mind was reeling I couldn’t respond right away. I was in too much shock.

 

“There comes a time in your life when you have to break away.”

 

“VALERIE!” My father called out. Now i knew that this wasn't even about me going back inside because Mother had been looking for me.

 

This was now a power trip for my father and maybe even a little for Henry.

 

“Give me a second, Dad!” I barked and looked back at Henry. He reminded me so much of that other person in my past. So unapologetic. Never trying to keep the peace to be who they were.

 

“Look, I told you about what George did and you’re clearly just upset—“

 

“Of course I’m fucking upset!” He exploded. His laugh was a dark sound and he balled his hands into fists as he shook his head and looked to the heavens, backing up and speaking in a promising tone. “I swear to fucking god, Valerie…”

 

I touched his arm, surprised by how taut his muscles were. “I think you need to calm down.”

 

Henry breathed deeply and stared at me. His eyes were those of a beast, one that was ready to attack and destroy. In that moment I was pretty sure he would find George and do away with him. I didn’t think Henry would react so strongly.

 

“I know, I have no right to be mad. I have abandoned you too. But I admit to you that I was wrong. I will get down on my knees and beg you for forgiveness for what i have done to you. But from what happened to you in the past, and the way your father treats you after just fucking throwing you to a therapist—“

 

“Henry—“

 

“It's not okay. And if you were mine, god, if you were mine…"

 

"Henry don't."

 

“You would never even wonder whether you were wanted or loved. You wouldn’t even have to think twice.”

 

My chest twisted and tears raced to my eyes yet again. I nearly just told Henry to take me wherever he wanted, but I couldn't allow myself to. Not yet.

 

“Is this before or after you abandon me?”

 

Henry’s lips parted but he bit his lip when he realized there wasn’t really much he could say. I wasn’t trying to hold on to grudges, but I was trying to be careful. I had made the situation confusing by venting to him when in truth I didn’t know if I could trust him.

 

The timing of all this was so wrong.

 

“Valerie! That's enough! Let's go.” I could hear that he was getting closer to us again.

 

“I have to go," I told Henry.

 

He grabbed my hand. “Why not just do what you really want to? Come with me. You don't even have to com with me. Run away yourself. Just do what you want to do.”

 

I knew he was testing me.

 

"Now isn't the time to do this."

 

"Then when, Valerie? When will you start living for yourself and not him?"

 

His words struck me, and as i looked at Henry I felt like I was assessing myself. I know his intentions were good, but this simply wasn't the place to do these things. I clutched my eyes tightly shut because I knew that for all my talk of feeling imprisoned and allowing myself to be punished, I was going to stay. I was simply going to stay.

 

This is where Henry and I were different with our issues.

 

He run. And I stayed.

 

“Goodbye Henry," I told him tearfully.

 

“You’ve let him control you your whole life. Don’t you ever get tired of that?”

 

“Let go of my daughter.” My father’s voice along with his fingers wrapping around my arm surprised me.

 

Henry did not let go.

 

“After you, Mr. Jones.”  

 

Even I was taken aback by Henry’s bravery.

 

I saw him differently that night. It was easy to get lost in the kindness of his eyes, the charm of his smile and the gentleness of his touch. But now I knew why Henry Walker had been able to succeed. I knew why he was able to live on the streets at a young age and still conquer all he had against his peers and even his elders.

 

He was a strong person and didn't fear authority.

 

This was one of the many wonders about this man. He just never ceased to amaze me and I felt a deeper admiration for him that day.

 

Feeling my father’s ire, I had to wrest my hand from Henry’s hold because he wouldn’t let up this time and I didn’t want to deal with an unpredictable situation. Both Henry and my father were being so unexpectedly combative. I’d never seen both of them like this.  

 

I also wasn’t thinking straight and was panicking over the fact that a person other than someone I cared very deeply about had stood up to my father.

 

I gave Henry one last look over my shoulder. His expression was guarded, but he was obviously not happy about the outcome. It tore me apart inside when he turned around and started for the parking lot.

 

My heart ached as I struggled with the thought that I may not see him for another while.

 

Once my father and I were in the hallway that led to the reception my father’s cross eyes landed on me.

 

“Anyone who disrespects me does not get away with it. He will never be able to get a job in Tilden for as long as he lives for how he spoke to me. Do you understand?”

 

I didn’t respond, staring at a spot on the marble floor.

 

"Do I make myself clear?" My father pressed.

 

“He doesn’t need to get a job in Tilden Dad. Contrary to what you believe, there is more to life than Earldet. There is more to life than being an engineer or a programmer. He is self-made and if he wanted to, he never has to work another day in his life again. All earned from his own hard work and his own talent, not by using people and cutting corners and worst of all, hurting others to get to the top." I suddenly remembered George and felt angry that I had told a man I'd met at a nightclub who showed me more love and affection than my own father. I cut my eyes at him. "I want you to leave him alone.”

 

My father's eyes darkened.

 

“You are sounding an awful lot like Monica, just lost and confused thinking you know better than the world when I protected you from it!”

 

He brought up the family issue that was never discussed. Monica Jones was the second born of the family.

 

I remember the strange look Ella gave me the night were having bangers and mash at Peter’s when Henry asked how many siblings I had. I stated I had two siblings and was about to add something else when I felt Ella’s gaze. Since I didn’t even discuss this issue among family, why would I with anyone else?

 

For a family that showcased succes, happiness, and poise to the world, she was the one smudge to my parent's picture perfect image. She had made very scathing comments about my father to media outlets, but those were often drowned out by his achievements.

 

Monica was cut from a different clothe than the rest of us. Unlike me, she was not a glutton for punishment and had left when she realized that the Jones life was for her.

 

She had tried to get me to go with her, but foolishly I was obsessed with my father, his approval, and leading the life that he chose for me. I was suffering for it now.

 

She had always warned me about Dad but I never listened. I was too young to understand, but my decision not to listen to her was traitorous because she was really the only person that had ever truly defended me and protected me from anyone that tried to hurt me.

 

Her departure from home was one of the hardest things I’d ever had to deal with, as that was the first time I truly felt abandoned.

 

Whether my father had been great or not, Monica had the type of spirit where she was going to live her life the way she wanted no matter what anyone said. She never needed anyone’s approval and I always envied that about her. Every time I snapped at my father I knew that he saw a bit of Vero in me and that’s why he got aggravated and tightened his iron fist around me to keep me where he wanted me lest another sheep think for themselves.

 

The strange thing about it was that Monica and my father were alike in many ways. The reason why Mr. Jones had stood apart from his counterparts was because he stood up for what he believed in and never cared too much about approval from anyone else.

 

That’s how he attained his success.

 

Monica was a fashion designer somewhere in New York. Whether she was struggling or not was unclear. I just knew she was happy living her life how she wanted.  They were both very intelligent and believed strongly in what they believed in, which was what made them great leaders. But in the same token, in my father’s case, they could be oppressors without really realizing it.

 

“Protected me from it? I’m scared of the fucking world because of you!” I retorted, my eyes brimming with tears as I thought of my beloved sister.

 

“Watch your mouth young lady.”

 

I took a few calming breaths and continued.  “Let me rephrase that, not because of you, because I allowed you to. But the difference between Monica and I is that she was wise beyond her years and could see your controlling fist before it could constrict her. She may not be rich but she took control of her life left before you could ruin it all.”

 

“I told you to watch your mouth,” he warned and I was ready to tell him off once again about Monica and how he had driven her away from the fold with his authoritarian parenting.

 

“Valerie! Where have you been?!”

 

To my surprise, Ella was approaching me with the biggest smile on her face. She was lifting up her dress as best as she could, approaching me with so much excitation. I cast my father a quick warning glance before mirroring Ella’s excitement and hugging her with a kiss on the cheek.

 

“Still as beautiful as ever!” I gushed.

 

“This would not be the night it needs to be without us having a dance off of our own.” I grabbed her hand before hurrying us back to the reception.

 

But not without feeling the eyes of my father boring a hole into the back of my head all the while making a mental note to get Henry’s number from Peter.

 

While I did eventually get the number, I never called Henry for the next three months. I spent most of it trying to get myself back together and started revisiting my therapist.

 

Two weeks after the wedding, there was one peculiar incident when my father called me into his office telling me that he had some matters to discuss. To my surprise, those matters included Henry.

 

Before he could even begin his threats and carrying on, I told him  but i told him that Henry and i were not seeing or speaking to each other anymore. This seemed to put him at ease and while i found his behavior suspicious I was too preoccupied with working on myself to worry about him.

 

Into my third month of no Henry contact, when I was mindlessly browsing the internet one afternoon, I saw a headline with his younger brother, Ben. He was being escorted out of a hotel with his head held down, large sunglasses concealing most of his face, all the while surrounded by multiple body guards.

 

The article alleged that he’d just gotten word his father was found dead the previous morning in his London apartment. My heart plummeted to my gut as I replayed the video accompanying the article with all the commotion surrounding Ben and my first thought went to Henry.

 

I immediately grabbed my phone and called him. He never answered, so I left a message that I wanted to see if he was okay. I felt moronic for calling him now that a tragedy had struck but I needed to get myself together those few months without any outside influences to see if I could handle it all on my own.

 

I was surprised when he called me minutes later.

 

“Henry?” I said breathlessly. It was silent a moment save some shuffling.

 

“Where are you?” I asked.

 

“Alone...” his voice was distant and muffled.

 

“Henry I’m so sorry,” I was already choking on tears. "I heard about..." I couldn't bring myself to finish my sentence.

 

“Everyone keeps telling me sorry. He did this to himself...” His voice grew thicker as he spoke. He sounded very angry and hurt. He must have known the cause of death and I dreaded what it was.

 

“I’m so sorry, ”I whispered, unable to imagine the pain he must've felt.

 

“I wanted so badly to call you. But I couldn’t.”

 

I lowered my head guiltily. “Henry…”

 

“I deserved it though. I’m sorry to bother you—“

 

“Henry you didn’t bother me. I’m the one who call—“

 

“All these people keep calling me. Why are they bothering me? I’m not the famous one. And I wish they would leave Ben alone. I am really upset I can't be there with him right now.”

 

“Where are you?”

 

“At home,” he said quietly and tiredly. His voice empty. Silence followed and I heplessly sat there feeling his sadness.

 

“1340 Artsline Dr. Hawksworth, California. Gate code is 406.”

 

I realized then that he was giving me his address. I scrambled for a pen and paper and asked him to repeat. He repeated.

 

Then it dawned on me that he said home. And he was in America.

 

“I will be there right away,” I said without a second thought and immediately made preparations to get to him.

Chapter 24 pt 1 by notheruniverse
Author's Notes:

 

sorry so short but very busy

 

 

 

Chapter 24 pt 1

“Shh, it’s okay,” I tried to calm Apples down while she meowed in her carrier. With Henry living two hours away, I didn’t have time to take her for boarding. I also didn’t know how long I’d be around Henry but knew in this circumstance I’d be there as long as he needed me to be. The thought brought a slight feeling of resistance within me, as I didn’t know if this was the smart thing to do.

But the heart wants what it wants and many times rules over the mind.

I froze the moment I stepped into the house. The beauty, spaciousness, and harmony I was met with the first time I came was not what I saw now.

The large painting one first saw when they walked was on the floor along with shattered glass.

A lamp was knocked over. Sheers were tattered and strewn across the floor.

The house was no longer untouched.  Angry hands had ripped it apart. There was more life in this house with its destruction than when I initially saw it.

I stepped onto the marble floor with caution, wondering if I should be going the other way while calling the police. Alarms went off in my head as I dreaded something happened to Henry.

“Henry?!” I called out.

“Don’t come in,” he muttered sluggishly, his voice pained in a way I’d never heard. I advanced further into the room until I saw him sprawled on the couch on his stomach with his hand dangling beside him. Surrounding the floor around the couch a litter of beer bottles.

The site was gut wrenching and I was surprised by how much pain it brought me.

“Henry…”

“It was a mistake.” He tried to lift his head and grimaced, laying it back down.

“I shouldn’t have asked you to come. I’m sorry. I lost my phone soon after we talked. I couldn’t stop you from coming. I’m sorry.”           

Apples meowed.

“Where is Peaches?” I asked nervously as I looked around the room. It was mostly the west end of it that was ruined. The right side of it wasn’t so bad.

“I don’t know.” There was a hint of embarrassment in his voice. “She stays in my room most of the time.”

With Apples in tow, I went up to his room to find the door slightly ajar. My heart galloped with memories of Henry’s hands all over me. This was the room that began the downward spiral.

Pushing those thoughts aside I stepped inside to find that it still looked the same. Ignoring the fact that this was the unmade bed where we’d lay, I started to call out to her.

“Peaches?” There was no answer. I released Apples from her carrier to get her acquainted with her surroundings and began to look for the other cat. I finally found her when I came out of the bathroom and saw two flickering eyes under Henry’s drawer. I looked to the bed to find Apples was still curiously sniffing the bed.

“Here baby, come.” I called her for several moments but to no avail. She was frightened and I imagined all the sounds of shattered glass and other things breaking scared her. I placed some of the cat food I’d carried next to the drawer. Apples quickly rushed to my side to start eating and Peaches became curious. She eventually came out and sniffed my hand first. To my fortune she rubbed her face over my fingers with a light purr. I watched the two cats ready for them to start fighting when to my surprise they took to each other well even after not seeing each other for months.

Closing the door behind me, I went back downstairs. Now that I got a closer look at Henry, I noticed that his face was red and his breathing was very shallow. It pained me to see him like this. My eyes watered but I tried to stay strong as I approached him and crouched till we were face to face. He reeked of alcohol. His eyes were lifeless as he stared at no particular spot on the couch.

I combed my fingers into his hair and kissed his forehead before resting my head on his.

Henry sucked in a breath and turned the other way, then let out a nearly inaudible groan in pain. I was surprised by how scorching his skin was.

“Are you feeling sick? You feel like you’re running a fever.” I actually felt nervous about him being unwell.

“Hangover,” he mumbled tersely and my heart sunk.  “I’m sorry,” he continued regretfully.

“You have nothing to be sorry for,” I tried to assure him as I rubbed his back. My touch made him stiffen. I wasn’t used to him reacting to my touch like that but under the circumstance I could understand.

“Do you want to talk about it?” I asked unsurely, not knowing what to do.

“No,” he said simply. I knew he wasn’t being nasty towards me. When a child loses a parent there’s really no handbook on how to deal with it because everyone’s relationships with their parents are personal and have their own dynamics.

And this had just happened.

I had a good inkling that alcohol was the cause of his father’s death. And the fact that alcohol was what emanated off of him made me especially sad.

I was beside him helplessly for a few minutes before realizing that something needed to be done about the mess around the house.

There was no method to the madness. I didn’t understand why I was cleaning up the house, and neither could I understand why none of it bothered me.

My body just led me to it.

As I cleaned, Henry began to throw up. It seemed endless, but that was something that couldn’t be helped.

It took a long while to clean, but I got most of the glass swept from the floor. After some investigating through the house I found the vacuum and got most of the rugs and carpets cleaned. The glass wall that overlooked the pool was shattered as well and would need professional care.

I wondered how even the guards had not heard any of the commotion but the distance from the house to the gate as well as the neighbors was far. It’s clear that this home’s purpose was isolation.

The rest of the damage that occurred would take a few days and a lot needed to be thrown away.

Henry was still suffering on the couch and was angry I cleaned up the mess he made after pleading with me not to. I didn’t listen to him and brought one of the smaller trashcans from his bathroom, placing it next for him.

“I’m going to make you something to eat. Do you happen to have any eggs?” I asked, imagining that he probably had not been at the house but for a few days or even months. In fact I was surprised he was here at all. He was always moving around after all.

“No! No. Please no food,” he implored. “The thought alone makes me sick…”

“There is nothing else to throw up. I might have to go to the nearest store…” My words trailed off when I opened a fridge filled to capacity. I hadn’t paid much attention to the contents of his fridge last time but something told me it probably wasn’t this full. When I picked up some of the items and checked the expiration date they were new and the fruit and vegetables were all fresh.

“When did you do grocery shopping?” I asked Henry.

“Just a few days ago…god this fucking headache,” He grumbled as he rolled onto his back, wincing while holding the bridge of his nose.

“How long have you been at the house?”

“Save a few trips out the year I’ve been living here about an entire year. This is my home, you know.”

I was shocked and stared at him.

“I stayed,” he added after some silence and my heart jumped.

Gulping hard and suddenly feeling nervous, I began ravaging through the fridge for some eggs.

I wasn’t the best cook but with as many ingredients as he had in the fridge I was able to cook up a solid omelet.

Like a child Henry turned until his back was facing me when I presented it to him.

“I can’t take another view of you cleaning this mess up. This is my lowest point ever. Not even being homeless was this bad.”

“But you called me because you trust me, right?”

He was silent a moment before answering “…Yeah.”

“Turn around and try to eat.”

He was unrelenting.

“For me, please,” I pleaded with my hand on his arm.

He froze again at my touch but surprised me when he finally turned around. Cringing, he sat up with great effort, his elbows on his knees as he supported his head in his hands. 

I placed the plate in front of him and he stared at the food bleary eyed, as if trying to remind himself how to lift a fork.

Forking some of the omelet, I raised it to his mouth. His face scrunched up like a child’s would, the smell probably too much for him right now.

After some coaxing I got him to eat some. Once that barrier was broken Henry finally took the fork and began to eat on his own.

While he completed his meal I returned to the kitchen to clean up. When done, I went back upstairs to find that the cats were snuggled together in Henry’s bed.

Back downstairs, Henry was sighing sharply and lying back down. After I was done organizing the kitchen I went to retrieve his plate to find that he hadn’t touched the bottle of Getorade.

“Have some of this,” I said as I uncapped it and handed it to him. “It should help some.”

“You have just further proven to me that I don’t deserve you. At all.”

Henry’s words gave me pause, but I nudged the bottle to him anyway.

“Don’t say things like that. Here, sit up and drink some before you go back to sleep.”

“I shouldn’t have called you back. I’m always dragging you into my madness. You are so good to me when you have been hurt. When I hurt you. I’ll never forgive myself for that. How could I have ever done that to you after all you have been through?” He was staring at the ceiling as he spoke.

“You were fighting your own demons. It’s okay.”

“It’s not okay. I’m so sorry, Peaches.”

“How are you feeling?”

“I’m happy that you’re here.”

“Are you really happy?”

“I’m not going to talk about it. Please, just try to understand.”

I had the urge to cry. There was a lump in my throat. I knew he was hurting. I could feel it just by being next to him so much that I didn’t let my past insecurities overshadow this moment. I couldn’t. I remember when George was sick with the flu and I catered to him that entire week, going so far as to do his homework for him.

But I couldn’t feel all those feelings now because I knew Henry’s pain was unbearable. The destruction of the house represented that.

“But I mean every words I say,” He continued. “I’m not just trying to deflect. I’ve been wanting to tell you this so long. I love you and I know I don’t deserve you.”

I didn’t know what to say.

“Here. Have some of this and then I’ll run you a bath—“

Henry sat up again, cutting me off as he gently took the Getorade from me. “It’s fine. A shower will be much better. The guest room should be good. You can get some rest now.”

We both stared at one another, both of us still holding the Getorade. I didn’t want to leave his side. While a part of me was a bit unnerved at the sheer power he had behind all the demolition he’d caused to the house, another part of me wanted to try and protect him or just give him a shoulder to cry on.

But I couldn’t force him. Reluctantly I watched him amble up to his room with the Getorade in hand. I looked about the room to see what else I could do, but I was pretty tired myself. I was sitting there in this big house, realizing just how lonely it could be to be here.

Eventually my exhaustion began to catch up with me and I too went upstairs. After having my own shower, I went to check on Henry.

The door was cracked open so I stepped inside and my heart just shattered.

He was wearing all black now, seated on the edge of the bed. The cats were behind him, still sleeping soundly, coiled to each other. He was crouched forward with his elbows on his knees and he was staring at the carpet with a pained expression.

His eyes were wet.

“I’m okay,” he said quietly, slowly, almost as if he was asking himself. “I’m okay.” A flicker went through his eyes and pressed his lips together and shook his head. Then he began to shake one of his legs restlessly, his hands getting more taut as he linked them together.

“I’m okay. I’m okay. I’m okay…” he kept saying over and over but the more he spoke, the more his voice cracked.

At that moment as I stared at that man, I was flooded with a strong emotion that I had never had for anyone in my life.

Without another word, I rushed to him and knelt before him. Just as he turned his face away to shield his face, a silent tear fell.

“Don’t. It’s fine. I’m okay. Please don’t,” he beseeched quietly, his skin hot with embarrassment as I held his face while he tried to pry my hands away.

He eventually gave in and placed his face in his hands. I wound my arms around him tightly while he remained resistant.

“I’m sorry…” he whispered ruefully for allowing himself to be seen so vulnerable. I cried with my chest twisting like it was being clawed out of my chest.

Eventually, the guards surrounding him fell apart and his hands slowly left his face and inch my inch rounded my waist until he was hugging me tightly and letting his tears fall freely onto the crook of my neck.

“I’m so sorry,” I tearfully whispered. His shoulders shook as he completely let go and sobbed quietly on my shoulder.

And we stayed this way for a while.

Crying together.

Chapter 24 pt 2 by notheruniverse

Chapter 24 pt 2

 

“Alcohol poisoning is what it was.”

 

I frowned, staring at his profile outlined against the backdrop of the beach displayed on his large bedroom window. It was a calm night and the sounds of waves crashing to shore were faint.

 

I was lying on my side with my hands tucked beneath my cheek. He’d asked me to turn the lights off as they hurt his eyes.

 

The still room was bathed in moonlight. Henry gazed at the ceiling’s elongated shadows, his lengthy lashes still wet, framing bewildered green eyes.

 

He sniffled a couple of times from a nose reddened from grief. I knew it killed him that I’d seen him cry, but he was also too defeated to conceal his real emotions. That was the night I felt a change in Henry. I thought the night he’d revealed why he had such an issue with commitment was when he bared it all, but no, it was this tragic night.

 

His sadness was far reaching and made me realize that with that great personality that infected everyone like a brightly shining sun, its absence affected everyone just as much like dark clouds casting darkness.

 

Peaches and Apples slept soundly and obliviously beside him. The room felt that harsh coldness people always feel whenever the reality and finality of death strikes.

 

“They found him alone in some run down motel in LA.” He swallowed hard and his eyes watered, his voice thickening as he continued. “With his guitar.”

 

Tears slid across my eyes at the mental image. The worst thing for anyone was to die alone.

 

He cleared his throat. “He had a show to do at some bar but it got cancelled. A younger act that has already started gaining a massive following took his place. Meant more money for the bar. Even though I know him and Joe, the bar owner, have been friends for years.” Henry shook his head. “There are no friends in this city. The only friend and enemy is money.”

 

I could only imagine Henry’s father’s disappointment when a person he thought of a friend chose money over loyalty.

 

“He’d been trying to contact me for months but I didn’t bother. Left a message telling me he was sober and looking forward to the show and told me that I could go if I wanted to.” Henry sighed. “I thought about going, but he’s done this kind of thing before and when I showed up he was just drunk, upset that not that many people were in the audience. I was still pretty mad at him for what he pulled with the cancer thing, so I didn’t go this time…” Guilt flooded his features. “He left another message, the last one I got from him before…” Henry’s voice trailed off and he looked the other way towards the wide window. “Said that it’s good I didn’t answer his call, tough love was what he needed to get his act together and that he was starting over. Said after he saw how he hurt me, he wanted to turn over a new leaf.

 

“That it didn’t matter if he wasn’t in the history books, music would always be his love so he would always play. Didn’t matter when or where.” Henry was staring sightlessly at the ceiling again, fresh tears evidenced on his eyes.

 

“I can’t imagine how you must feel. Or how he felt,” I said tearfully.

 

“I don’t want to think about how he felt.” His jaw bunched and he continued quietly.

 

“You know sometimes I wonder what would have happened to me if songwriting didn’t work. I put my all into it. What else would I have done? I’m not book smart. So what else? Would I have become like him? It must have hurt so much. To be so close to the fame and fortune yet so far away. He could never accept that it didn’t work out. He just couldn’t. He was always searching for it.

 

“I realize he wanted me to stop searching for music because he didn’t want me to become like him, but he also didn’t want me to achieve this dream he’d had for himself.”

 

Apples suddenly woke up with a stretch and began lumbering up the contours of Henry’s body. She chose to sit comfortably on his torso, curling her paws into herself. He stared at the unworried cat for a while and I thought of getting her off him in case she was irritating him, but he ended up mindlessly petted her, cajoling a low purr.

 

“I loved him. I really did.” His voice cracked into a desparate whisper. “I swear I did”

 

“I know you did. You don’t have to prove it to anyone, as long as you know.”

 

He continued quietly. “But he didn’t know that. He thought I hated him.”

 

“Henry…”

 

“He called me and I wasn’t there. What kind of son is that?”

 

“You were just trying to protect yourself…”

 

He was obviously still reeling from the lie his father had told. No one could get over such a lie so easily and quickly.

 

“Maybe if I showed up—“

 

“You did everything you could. Please don’t blame yourself.”

 

“The sickest part of this is that I did actually hate him sometimes too. There’s no excuse. There’s no fucking excuse for how he treated us. He once told me I was his best friend, but he said he was so jealous he couldn’t allow himself to love me. Sometimes I hated him so fucking much and I hate myself for that.”

 

“It’s okay to feel that way Henry. It’s not like you woke up hating him. But you have to forgive him eventually so that you can move on, you know?”

 

“He said he couldn’t be proud of me because he wished he was me. It’s not fair. I wish it had worked for him, but at the same time I’m so angry at him for just…I don’t know…I don’t know…”

 

“He made that choice. I know we took his dream away from him but he made the choice to choose his addiction.”

 

I thought of how difficult it was for me to stop my urges of purging food, something I still hadn’t revealed to him.

 

“People think addiction is a choice, and to a certain extent it is, but it’s also a disease. No one who struggles with addiction likes being addicted. No one…” I said.

 

“It’s still a choice, I guess. I don’t know,” Henry said resolutely. His words made me a bit nervous and I couldn’t cough up any response. “I hope he finally found peace. Or I hope he found what he was looking for,” he added.

 

I buried myself in the blanket as more tears gushed from my eyes.

 

My tears eventually stopped when I heard Henry’s breath becoming shallow.

 

I looked up to see that a sole tear had trickled down to his dark hairline. Muttering a curse, he placed Apples next to Peaches and turned to his side, shielding himself from me.

 

“…I’ll never see him again…fuck…”

 

Supporting myself on my elbow, I hovered over him with my hand on his sturdy arm. He recoiled into himself, concealing his face into the sheets as another wave of grief slammed at him.

 

He was inconsolable. One would only know he was crying because his arms would occasionally shake, but his cries were as silent as a grave save the occasional whizzes of air.

 

I noticed when I began to rub on his back and arm he started to slowly calm down.

 

The loss of a parent no matter what they’d done was a tough cross to bear for any child. The realness of it must have been settling to him. It was the wrong time to feel selfish and think what I would do if I ever lost my parents, but I tried to put Henry first.

 

I wrapped my arm around him and tried to comfort him.

 

The grief eventually exhausted him into sleep but only for a few hours before he was up and about. His stirring woke me up and I heard him walking about the room talking business at 3 in the morning. When that was over, I silently listened to him walking around the room tinkering with his belongings. He was trying to keep busy.

 

I eventually sat up, rubbing the sleep from my eye and startling him.

 

“I’m so sorry love. Did I wake you?” He asked alarmingly and I shook my head.

 

“What are you doing? Come back to bed,” I said groggily as I patted the empty space beside me. The cats slept soundly at the foot of the bed.

 

“I have to pack. My flight leaves in a couple of hours.” His voice was course and his eyes were puffy. He was pale and looked to be barely hanging on.

 

I was bone tired but wouldn’t feel right with him struggling to gather his belongings in the state he was in.

 

“Are you looking for something?” I asked as I got out of bed careful not to wake the cats up.

 

Henry tried to urge me back to bed but I didn’t budge and he relented to my helping him. He assured me that he was done packing and I went to bed only because it was really aggravating him that I was up. Old habits die hard and I guess him feeling like a burden to others was something that would change over time.

 

When I woke up the second time, he’d made breakfast for me. It was a bit awkward eating breakfast with a gaping hole in the glass wall. What was even more awkward was how normal Henry behaved. It’s like last night didn’t happen. He had energy and was moving up and about, making phone calls.

 

He wanted me to catch a redeye with him to Britain but didn’t say it, and implied it only once. I knew that even he knew it wasn’t logical as this was a time he needed to be exclusively with his family.

 

He was conflicted, knowing he had to go home but not wanting to leave my side.

 

Henry’s ride eventually arrived. The driver charted his luggage to the car while we said our goodbyes.

 

“You can stay here as long as you like, you know?”

 

His eyes were hopeful. I knew he wanted me to be here when he got back but I couldn’t promise anything.

 

“I’m leading a project so I have to go back into the city,” I told him. “It would take too long to drive two hours to work everyday. I have to make sure every aspect of the project is going accordingly.”

 

“Are you a manager now?” he asked curiously despite everything. It reminded me how far removed we were from each other’s lives. When we met at Ella’s wedding we didn’t really play catch up on the daily happenings but mostly on my past.

 

“Something like that,” I murmured. Henry scrutinized me.

 

“I mean that’s great, but is it what you want?” Even at a time like this he was still worried whether or not I was doing what made me happy. The promotion was definitely hard work and there was a time I binged due to stress, but I didn’t have time to mope because deadlines were vastly approaching.

 

“Henry, now isn’t the time to worry about me.”

 

“I always worry about you,” he said immediately, taking my hand into his. “Why are you still working there?”

 

“Let me worry about you now, please? For once just don’t worry about me or anyone else. You need to worry about yourself. You need to make sure you’re on time for your flight to see your family, not whether or not I’m doing what I love to do or not.”

 

He gave a grudging nod and kissed me delicately on my cheek then stroking it. “I love you and thank you.”

 

My gaze fell away from his.

 

And I squeezed squeezed his hand. He reluctantly let go and started walking away, stopping suddenly when I called out to him.

 

“Call me when you arrive.”

 

“Of course.”  I witnessed the first genuine smile on his face since I arrived.

 

And this was how Henry and I began again.

 

As friends.

 

 

***

 

4 Months Later

 

The friendship turned into one of the most fulfilling I’d ever had. It reminded me why we hit it off right away when we first met. He claimed I was a good friend that laughed at his unfunny jokes. He laughed at me even when I wasn’t trying.

 

We also gave each other space.

 

Without the insanity of being ‘friends with benefits’ and with a much more toned down flirting, we finally got to know each other without distractions.

 

We really were more different than I’d originally thought.

 

He was clearly more the artist and I was more pragmatic. He had a very colorful view of the world while mine tended to be black and white.

 

We processed information differently. He was a poet and I was a mathematician.

 

He was more interested in Philosophy and I more in Physics. So we invited each other into our very different realms.

 

Despite trying to be obedient and remain friends, the emotional and sexual chemistry was undeniable.

 

Henry backed off from saying he loved me, and I assumed it wasn’t so much because I didn’t reciprocate but more because he sensed how intimidated I got each time he said it.

 

He would still throw in complements here and there and I couldn’t help but do the same.

 

We went grocery shopping together. We watched movies together. We walked the city together. He introduced me into going to museums; something I’d never cared to do before.

 

I was surprised when he took me to the Computer History Museum. I hadn’t been there since I was a kid. And just like a kid was in a candy store when we saw the display of the major videogame consoles made in history. I must have stood there for about an hour.

 

And Henry patiently stood with me.

 

He indulged my enthusiasm over the technology that spanned decades and was awed by my knowledge of it all. Even though it may have bored him, he kindly stuck it out.

 

It was great until at some point that day I noticed we were holding hands. I made an excuse to go to the restroom. When I returned, I made no inclination that I wanted to hold hands. Henry fell in line, no questions asked.  

 

We would talk on the phone and text frequently. He even gave me a few cooking lessons at my condo.

 

One night he had to sleep on the couch because I forbade him to drive home so late and on a motorcycle at that. He did live two hours away after all.

 

The next morning as he was walking around shirtless I practically run back to my room unnoticed, cheeks flaming and area between my thighs throbbing. While the dynamics of our relationship had changed a lot, Henry Walker was still gorgeous. Either I hadn’t seen him in a long time or he was just a little bit more muscular, his body much more toned. He had a bona fide passion for kickboxing and barely went a day without practicing.

 

I knew he was always a looker, but spending time with him publicly really made it noticeable. Many times we got second looks from women, baffled as to why he was with me. Others simply lusted over his good looks. And what made these situations even more awkward is that Henry’s focus would be me and I’d wonder if he knew that there were women fuming at me for that reason alone.

 

He treated me like a queen so much that I urged him to chill sometimes. He always wanted to buy me stuff and it got to a point where I had to let him know that I could take care of myself.

 

When I think back on it, I think it wasn’t just my need to be an independent woman but also fear of how similar this was to George. He hadn’t had money when we dated, but he’d tried.

 

Only when I told Henry not to buy him anything, his cherry lips slowly widened in a grin, his eyes glittering. He then told me how excited I got him when I stood up for myself. That my confidence was just so damn ‘exciting’.

 

Moments like those were so thrilling to me. But I tried not to indulge.

 

For a guy that used to disappear after only a few days hanging out, Henry never wanted to leave my condo once he was there. He’d even joked about moving in as a roommate since Ella had moved out.

 

The comment brought a strange fear in me. I was frightened because I knew I’d like it very much. Too much, almost.

 

Fortunately, when I needed space he gladly gave it and took time out for himself as well. But whenever I called, boy did he come running.

 

“The party’s going to start soon. We should get going,” He let me know one lazy fall Saturday afternoon as I shuffled about the condo looking for particular shoes I wanted to wear.

 

I wasn’t big on parties, especially after what clubbing was like with Henry last time, but I’d agreed to go with him since he took me to the computer museum. We mostly did things that I liked but slowly he began asking me to join him hiking at damn near 4 in the morning. I’d only gone to it once and was still putting off the 6 o’clock kickboxing he occasionally suggested.

 

With an upper level at work I normally stayed at work later so I had no time for anything else but he was encouraging me not to let work consume my life. He stressed how important it was to play as much as one worked, but that was never a motto in the Jones family.

 

Besides, he seemed to hate my job even more than I loathed it.

 

It took us nearly three hours to get to this party due to insane traffic. When we were in a large parking lot in the heart of the city I wondered just what kind of party he was bringing us to. We were parked at one of the Tilden venues that normally hosted concerts and the like.

 

“What is going on?” I asked him as he handed his key to the valet. I wondered what kind of party this was when I spotted kids excitedly running ahead of their parents to the venue entrance.

 

“What do you think?” He asked as he grabbed my hand and started leading me out of the parking lot. We were following a large group of people that were donned in t-shirts promoting the latest, most popular video game that had hit the market.

 

“What’s this?” I asked Henry skeptically when we were at the door being ticketed.

 

We bypassed the lengthy lines crawling into the venue. On the inside, posters lined the walls that soon let me know what this was.

 

It was the biggest game convention of the year. My mouth dropped as it all became clear to me.

 

When Henry saw the realization on my face, he gave me those handsome dimples, beaming at me.

 

“You haven’t really played any games lately. You’ve been so soaked up in work and I can tell it’s stressing you out, so all the more reason to bring you here,” Henry said as we walked up to front row. An elongated table cloaked in white stretched across the wide stage.

 

My fingers cinched Henry’s sleeve as we maneuvered to our seats.

 

“Henry…” I managed to breath out. Adrenaline was rushing through me as we sat down. He grinned at me, his eyes flashing craftily.

 

“Speechless?” he asked. Of course I couldn’t speak. Glancing behind us at the tiered seats, I found it oddly touching, witnessing all the exuberant kids waving their merchandise in uncontainable excitement or latching onto their guardians in disbelief.

 

I was amazed.

 

“How did you even manage this? The godfather of one of the most popular games is supposed to be here! There were no tickets left! You have to book them months in advance,” I pointed out as we sat down. My excitement made me slightly dizzy. I’d been so caught up with work I missed the date pre-sale date. I’d also grudgingly thought, why go to these events and hurt my own feelings? Now I regretted never making the decision to try and attend on my own.

 

“A week after you came to me when Dave died, I wondered what I could do to repay you. When I found out about this convention, I was gutted how long I had to wait to show my appreciation but figured nothing could top this. I really just wanted to thank you for supporting me during this trying time…”

 

I was beyond touched. The only person that had ever actively supported my love for games was George.  

 

He once took me to a convention, a lot more small-scale than this, when I’d been too afraid to go by myself. The eerie similarity didn’t hit me as potently when with Henry because I was far too overjoyed to be in the presence of great creators, artists, engineers and so forth. But little did I know how much it would haunt me later.

 

“Oh god…I…” My eyes watered and I hugged him tightly. “I’m so happy!”

 

Laughing, Henry hugged me back and the lights in the convention dimmed as the cheers arose.

 

The entire convention was a blast.

 

With our VIP passes I got to meet some of my childhood heroes and even got encouragement about not letting go of my video game dreams.  Even though I knew this wasn’t Henry’s thing, he really tried to engage. I knew I would have still enjoyed it on my own, but it was nice to share this joy with someone else.

 

I chatted up a storm on the ride home. Henry indulged me, patiently listening to all the gushing I’d have done online due to not having anyone to talk to.

 

Then, out of nowhere, I just stopped. There were these very triggering things that would just unfortunately spring up to my mind, like an unsuspecting lightning strike. And that lightning strike was George. I had these flashbacks of him listening to my excitement, pretending that I was the only thing that mattered in the world.

 

I didn’t realize how quiet I was until Henry spoke. “Are you alright?”

 

“Yeah I’m fine.” I was flustered by how all these thoughts of George were materializing out of nowhere. Disturbed even. I was over the past, so why…

 

“It was so much fun. Thank you,” I said yet again.

 

Smiling, Henry returned his gaze to the road and covered my hand with his. His hand was so warm. Lately I’d just been having teasers of him, little hugs and hand holding here and there, but it never went further. I knew that it was what he wanted but I never encouraged it. I really didn’t want our friendship to be soiled as our affections had done previously. We truly had strengthened our interactions by not adding anything more to our friendship.

 

Henry walked me to the door and I assumed he’d be staying the night because it was late and take the couch like he normally did, but was shocked when he stopped at the entrance.

 

“I’ll just make sure you’re in and get going.”

 

I couldn’t hide my surprise but didn’t want to give the wrong impression by asking him to stay. We were on such a slippery slope it got weird at times.

 

“Thank you for this special night. I don’t know how to repay you,” I told him as we loitered under the lamplight at my front door. Henry smirked gorgeously, standing tall over me. I wanted nothing more than to touch his handsome face and flirt with his curls.

 

“Running me off, aren’t you?” he asked as he stepped closer and I shyly looked away. His closeness reignited memories of all the intimate ways he had touched and kissed me.

 

“No. I don’t want to talk your head off,” I finally told him.

 

“I could listen to you talk all day.”

 

There he went, trying to reel me back in.

 

“How about a hundred years?”

 

“A hundred years, huh?” he leaned against the wall. “Is that how long you think we’ll be together?”

 

I smiled bashfully, staring at my shoes. “I’m sure we’ll be friends for a long time.”

 

It was silent before his next question, asked quietly, surprised me.  “Are we really just friends?”

 

The dreaded question. It had popped in my mind occasionally and I always avoided answering truthfully to myself.

 

During these past 4 months, we had never broached the subject.

 

I hesitated. “…yes…”

 

He looked a bit let down and I had to look away.

 

“You swear?” The smile in his voice made me look up at him.

 

We held each other’s gaze for a few uncomfortably silent seconds, Henry’s eyes averting to my lips a bit too often.

 

I averted my gaze just as he began nearing me.

 

I saw his smirk in the corner of my eye as he backed up.

 

“I’ll get going now,” he finally said. “You take care, okay?”

 

As I watched him descend the steps, something inside me couldn’t let him walk away. It was unfair, I know. But I truly didn’t like him driving two hours this late.  

 

“Henry it’s really late,” I called out.

 

“’l’ll be fine,” he told me over his shoulder.

 

I went down the short flight of stairs and stopped him, hand clasped around his wrist

 

“Please, don’t leave this late. I’ll worry myself to death.”

 

That gave him pause him. Anything that caused me any harm, even in the slightest, he yielded to me.

 

His eyes were burning as he fully faced me, eyes hungrily on my lips.

 

“You can’t not let me kiss you then invite me in, Peaches.”

 

I grinned and stared down at my hands on his, unable to shake the good feeling hearing him call me ‘Peaches’ brought me.

 

Finally I glanced up at him and added imploringly, “Please. It’s too late.”

 

Henry looked over his shoulder at his car, then at me.

 

He ended up choosing me.

 

That was the night, the first night I knew the hold I had over this man.

 

In my younger years I had daydreamed of having such power over a man. I’d entertained fantasies of having a man wrapped around my finger. But now I was frightened by how grand it made me feel.  

 

“Need anything to drink? Water, or tea?” I asked once we were in the condo.

 

“That decaf peach tea you have.” he shrugged off his jacket, placing it on the coat hanger.  

 

I smiled to myself and shook my head as I reached for the box of tea he’d brought with him during one of his many stays. Of course it just had to be peach tea.

 

As I poured water into the mug, I realized how nervous I felt. The air around us was thick. I felt the way I did the first night he and I got intimate. The night of my birthday.

 

I started to second guess inviting him in, and looked over him, jumping slightly when I found his eyes on me. He looked away just as I caught him staring from where he sat in the living room.

 

“Valerie, I clearly make you uncomfortable. I should lea—“

 

“I wanted to show you something,” I interrupted as I offered him his tea.

 

Henry paused and looked at me discerningly before finally speaking. “What is it?”

 

“I’ll be back.” I returned moments later with an older laptop in tow. It took me a few minutes to get the program set up.

 

“So…try and play.” I motioned towards the computer screen.

 

Henry laughed, intrigued as he sat forward, with his fingers sliding across the mouse. “What is this? Who is this cute girl?” he asked, referring to an animated design of a dark skinned, rotund girl in puffy pigtails periodically waving at the viewing audience. She would then jump, her muffin top and chubby limbs moving with her as she pointed above where a ‘START’ button glowed above her.

 

“She’s the main character. Go on. Click it.”

 

I found myself intensely watching his reaction.

 

With bright eyes and a huge smile, he clicked the button and was transported to a the first level of the game.

 

“It’s a video game I started in highschool,” I finally explained.

 

His jaw went slack and his eyes grew big as looked at me.

 

“Bloody hell! You fucking did this in highschool?” The shock in his tone and face made me proud.  I blushed and laughed, mindlessly erasing from my notebook to deal with the nervousness I felt.

 

“It’s really amateur when you compare this to other indie games.”

 

“This is sick…” he said absently while following the maneuvering instructions of the game. 

 

“Did you do this by yourself?” Henry asked.

 

“I came up with the concept but I worked with a designer.”

 

“What’s it about?” he chuckled when a few buttons made the character perform an action. “She’s too cute.”

 

After telling him the game’s premise I added, “I wanted to create a game where the protagonist was black. I was going to make it some unidentifiable cutesy character but I figure there’s not enough black characters in games so this was something I came up with.”  

 

“She’s adorable. Hey! Where’s the rest of it?”

 

“We were only able to complete one level. I also…got sidetracked.”

 

Honestly, I lost focus when I started dating George. I was so gluttonous for finally having a boyfriend that the only thing I didn’t let go to the wayside was my studies. Still, I didn’t feel good putting my dream aside because love got to my head.

 

“We started this my senior year in highschool, so by the time we went to different colleges we just got busy and moved on with life. He actually went on to work with a huge gaming company. It was something we’d done just for fun though,” I explained.

 

“For fun? Who the fuck else can do this? You know not many people can wake up and say hey I’m going to program a game. So you actually programmed everything?” he asked and I swelled with so much joy when he played it again. I nearly got tears in my eyes.  I’d known many creators who noted that witnessing honest reactions from those that played their games far outweighed any of the stresses and strife that came with creating a game. Hell, many said it superseded any monetary gain they acquired from the game.

 

I felt that right now. Seeing Henry’s reaction reignited that feeling that this was what I was born to do.

 

“…yeah I mean…I designed some but that’s a completely different discipline. I’m not really artistic but I have these visions and the designer was helping me build them. It’s challenging but ever since I was little, gameplay programming was so intriguing to me.”

 

I walked him through some of our experiences working on the game. 

 

“Wow. This is brill. I’m impressed.” He then sat facing me with one leg folded. His arms were folded with one resting on the back of the couch with his hands intertwined. He had on a short sleeved shirt that showcased the attractive veins running from his wrists to his forearms.

 

“What do you like most about it?” Henry asked, his eyes warm as he looked at me like nothing else existed.

 

Timidity crept up in me mainly because I’d never really had the platform to talk openly about the game I made. I’d sat at the residential ‘nerdy’ table where a few high school friends and I discussed games. Sure I’d gotten on forums to discuss with people but talking about it with Henry gave me this natural high. I couldn’t explain.

 

“Everything,” I said simply with an embarrassed laugh. “I mean it’s just something that makes me want to learn more and more. I used to think I hated programming but it’s mostly because of what we were programming. We had to program a robot in college and that stuff is interesting to me. The fact that you can program an image to do something just gives me this exciting shiver. But it’s not easy because it’s time consuming. You work long hours. But the end result is great.”

 

“Would you want to work for a big gaming company or…”

 

“I don’t know. Any time you work on a big budget anything it’s going to be hard. But working in a small team can be challenging as well. I guess it would depend.”

 

“Have you shown your father this?” The question was surprising. I’d wondered what he would think about it in the past.

 

“I haven’t shown anyone but my…ex.” I shifted and sighed, trying not to let him damper my mood. “Luckily, he wasn’t interested in games so I didn’t have to worry about him stealing from me. But I was so naïve back then I didn’t think he would ever do anything to hurt me. Besides that, the indie game industry is competitive. We didn’t want to share it until we were sure but it fell through and I kind of just left it behind.”

 

“No no no you can’t leave this behind,” Henry said seriously, his brows knitted. “This is too amazing. I think your father would be proud of this.”

 

I felt amazing when my father was proud of the work I did at his company. I couldn’t imagine how I’d feel if he showed any pride towards any videogame programming I did. I might die of happiness.

 

“It’s not much. We really just—“

 

“No it is much. You’re amazing.”

 

He sure knew how to make me feel good. I couldn’t remember the last time I blushed this much. “I don’t know. I just…today, I felt so…what word can I use to describe it? I guess…unguarded. Unguarded. Yeah. It’s like a total freeness when I went to the convention today.”

 

“Unguarded…” Henry echoed with a faint nod of realization. It’s as if he was seeing something in me that I couldn’t even see.

 

I laughed bashfully. “I don’t know what other word to describe how I feel.”

 

“You’re most beautiful when you’re unguarded.”

 

I covered my face, hating that I felt like a shy teenager around him, “Stop!”.

 

Geez! This was why people went crazy over him.

 

The chair shifted and I felt him move closer. He pried my hand away from my face with a laugh, “You don’t say you’re unguarded then hide yourself away from me.”

 

I gnawed at my lip and looked elsewhere.

 

“So can I kiss you or not?” he asked as he intertwined our fingers. The warmth from him damn near killed me.

 

I stalled as I tried to contain the feelings within me.

"Looking for excuses?"

The question reminded me of something similar and I smiled as I glanced at him. "Yes,. Give me a second."

Henry smiled knowingly. “It almost sounds like you have the Pain Killer in your system.”

“I haven’t had one of those since that night. Bad, bad choice.”

 

“What? You regret our first kiss?” he asked, teasingly ducking his head to meet my averted gaze. I still remembered that night and how magical and chaotic it had been.

 

“Maybe. I mean, I’ve never kissed someone the first time I met them. So no more Pain Killers for me.”

 

“Ah, it was the Pain Killer.”

 

“Sure it was.”

 

“What about our second first kiss,” he asked and once again I became shy. He seemed to get off on this.

 

In no time his soft lips were against mine.

 

I stiffened but the onslaught of emotions that struck me was too hard to deny.

 

He simply pressed his lips against mine for a short time, then pulled back, examining if I was okay with it. His heavy lidded eyes and labored breath made me feel hot. The closer he was the more I could smell the apple scent of his hair mixed with his musky cologne.

 

When I looked at him, I saw something in his eyes that I had seen once before, only stronger this time. Those eyes burning belonged to someone who loved me.

 

I believed him. In my depths, I believed him. And that’s what frightened me. Because I had believed once before. And the way I’d gotten burned for believing, I’d suffered some repercussions I hoped to never suffer again.

 

But to hell with that for right now. I wanted him so badly I never stopped him.

 

Taking this sign he inched close again, he brushed some curls out of my face, his head tilted as he kissed me again. Deeper this time. The separating sound of our kisses turned me on terribly.

 

My entire body sparked to life. I had missed this more than I would admit to anybody.

 

Henry knew my body. He knew me.

 

So just as I inched back, fearing the potency of all the emotions racing through me, he moved closer.

 

His tongue slipped into mine and I sighed into his mouth. My hands had helplessly travelled up his arm to his shoulders and I was clutching onto him.

 

Henry groaned, circling his arms around my waist and drawing me up his body, no matter how unceremonious or uncomfortable the position was for us. I couldn’t forget the moments we spent together before, and his body felt different. It was harder and firmer.

 

The feelings were too urgent and too raw. Too many stealth looks, too many flirts, too many innuendos had gone acknowledged. We had played the game ‘correctly’ for so long, travelling the ‘friends first’ path but we ended up crashing.

 

We couldn’t do it that way.

 

At least not right now. Not tonight when the feelings were released from their cage.  

 

He growled hungrily as he swiped his tongue through my mouth.

 

“Mmm,” Henry moaned against the kiss. “So good, Peaches. So, so good…”

 

All of these were trigger words. It just happened so naturally.

 

Out of nowhere, my fear leaped from the shadows and I froze for a second. Then I pushed at Henry until he recognized what was occurring.

 

He blinked back into focus, his eyes confused and disarrayed.

 

I stood up from the sofa and began rambling.

 

“I just want to get one thing straight…I don’t want our friendship to be ruined. I can’t ruin it.”

 

“It wont—“

 

“We should just stay friends. I mean it.” There was a desperation in my voice that would have sounded harsh to anyone else, but the way Henry’s eyes widened as he blinked, a part of me wondered if he could sense the fear.

 

It was the look one gave a person they realized was really fucked up. Eventually Henry shook his head, frowning with his eyes downcast.

 

“Okay. I’m, I’m sorry. I respect that. I was by no means…this convention wasn’t a way to try and…you know.”

 

I gave a jerky nod.

 

“It’s just so natural. Me and you. It’s natural.”

 

I shifted, wringing my hands as the nerves took their hold. He was close. He was so close. I couldn’t let him. I shook my head

 

“We should stay friends,” I asserted instead.

 

Henry’s unreadable expression stared up at me a moment before he finally sat back with a slow nod.

 

“Okay.”

 

“Goodnight Henry.”

 

“Goodnight.”

 

I went to my room and I didn’t look back whether I was being stubborn, immature, annoying, or a coward.

 

The harsh beating of my heart was a clear indicator why I was avoiding this.

 

I was in love for the second time in my life.

 

And like the old saying goes: once bitten, twice shy.

 

 

 

End Notes:

i know it seems she has regressed but keep in mind the story is almost ending so a huge change is about to occur. there are two chapters (basically one filler) left and a long epilogue. thank you for reading.

A/N by notheruniverse

Deleted Chapter 25 to revamp it. the end result will be the same, just the journey there will be a bit different. I didn't know the comments would be deleted as well. I'm sorry about that. I received some very helpful feedback and will take this into consideration. I will have to change the prologue of the story for this change but it is for the best.

 

I just want to provide you with the best that I can since you have taken time to read this.Thank you all for the support.

This story archived at https://www.valentchamber.com/viewstory.php?sid=2507