Just One More Try by Yevette Linn
Summary:

Five years ago, Breezy Collins, left Baton Rouge, Louisiana and vanished without a trace leaving everything and everyone behind in order to save herself from further heartbreak from the only man she has ever loved. Breezy's sister Phoenix is the only person who knows her whereabouts but not her secrets. It's her sister's wedding that brings her back home for a week. She can only hope that she can avoid running into the man that still haunts her dreams and owns her heart.

Jace Bennett, has spent the last five years searching for something that he knows doesn't exist anymore. His Heart. He's colder and more distant. All the things that use to give him joy now only bring him misery because of her but a promise is a promise and he'll uphold his end of it no matter the cost. But when a chance encounter brings him face to face with the one woman who holds the key to his happiness, he'll do everything in his power to ensure that she never leaves him again. By any means necessary, he'll try to convince her to give him Just One More Try.


Categories: Original Fiction Characters: None
Classification: General
Genre: Romance
Story Status: Active
Pairings: None
Warnings: Adult Situations, Original Characters, Sexual Content , Strong Sexual Content , Un-betaed , Work in Progress
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: No Word count: 19790 Read: 43928 Published: May 20 2014 Updated: September 13 2014
Story Notes:

This is only the beginning of the story.

1. Chapter 1 by Yevette Linn

2. Chapter 2 by Yevette Linn

3. Chapter 3 by Yevette Linn

4. Chapter 4 by Yevette Linn

5. Chapter 5 by Yevette Linn

6. Chapter 5 (continued) by Yevette Linn

7. Chapter 6 by Yevette Linn

8. Chapter 7 by Yevette Linn

Chapter 1 by Yevette Linn
Author's Notes:

Breezy and Paul see each other for the first time in five years.

 

 

Chapter 1

 

"Breezy is that you?" a male voice called from a distance.

"Damn," Breezy Collins cursed under her breath. Five years away and not a peep from a soul and now she'd been back in town for five minutes and she'd already been spotted.

Baton Rouge was too damn small.

All she wanted to do was slip into town, undetected mind you, and slip out a few days later, then get back to her life. If you could call what she had a life. It was more like a job, a place to stay and one friend. But for now it was her life.

The life that she'd had here was no more. Here, she'd had all the active imaginations of youth and once believing in love.

Love.

What a joke.

But it was the reason that she found herself in the grocery store down the street from the place she once called home. This time it wasn't her who was in love. It was her sister Phoenix, and thanks to her sisters incessant need for ice cream during a crisis, she had to stop on her way home.

But as it was, she couldn't be rude, her good Southern upbringing wouldn't allow it, so she slowly turned around and her eyes nearly bugged out of her head.

"It is you!" the now familiar voice said.

Breezy slowly assed the warm smiling eyes and wide grin of her former best friend Paul Miller.

Guilt assailed her.

He was just as good-looking as he always was. Tall, well built, skin the color of toasted pecans, full lips and a smile that would make Denzel Washington jealous.  

In her haste to get as far away from Baton Rouge and Louisiana altogether, as fast as she could, she'd severed all ties to any and everyone that reminded her of this place with the exception of her sister. She'd changed her number, deleted all social media pages and disappeared without a trace. That separation had been vital to her survival and unfortunately it had included Paul. A decision that she now regretted as she visually took him in.

"Hi Paul," she whispered.

"You don't have to look so sad to see me. You look like I'm about to send you to the gallows." He smiled as he walked to her and stared down at her. "Well, can I have a hug or something."

Breezy watched as he opened his arms to her and his beautiful brown eyes said that all was forgiven.

She hesitated a minute before he pulled her into his arms. And right there on the freezer isle of the grocery store, a part of her heart thawed.

"I'm sorry" she confessed as she wrapped her arms around him and felt the solid wall of Paul's chest against her cheek.

"It's okay baby girl," he said as he kissed her hair and held her tighter. "I missed you so much but I understand why you left."

But did he really understand. Could anyone ever really understand the hurt and heartbreak that this place held for her? Everything that had been good here turned into a nightmare in the blink of an eye. Days that should have been the happiest in her life, all turned tragic right here in this city.

Paul had just been collateral damage in a war to save herself.

"I didn't want you to have to choose between us. So I made the decision for you." She squeezed him tighter. Never realizing just how much she had missed her best friend.

"I feel like it's all my fault." He whispered in a regret filled voice.

Breezy pulled away just in time to catch the pained look on his handsome face before he gave her a small smile.

"Paul, none of this is your fault. I'm a grown woman and the decisions that I've made were my own. Besides you know how the old saying goes, 'It's better to have loved and lost...'"

"I know," he sighed. "If it hadn't been for me then you would have never met him. I still feel responsible."

"Well don't," she said shrugging and waiving a dismissive hand in the air. "So, how's he doing anyway?" Feigning a nonchalance that she really wasn't feeling. She'd spent the last five years trying to forget this place and him. Trying to put the pieces back together of her shattered heart. She'd vowed never to speak his name again.

"Oh, you know JB. He's as driven as ever for someone who's always got his head in the clouds."

"Yeah, I do know him. So how's he really doing? Because head in the clouds and Ja…" she caught herself before she spoke his dreaded name. "He's never had his head in the clouds. I've never met a person more grounded in my life." She shook her head and a small smile escaped at the memory.

"You're right, I guess you know him better than anyone. You were the dreamer."

She sighed. "I'm sure his wife would object to that."

She watched as a confused look came over Paul's face before he finally spoke. "That my dear is a long story. And…" he said holding up a hand to stave off her next question, "not my story to tell. Let's just say that he's… different."

Different. What the hell did that mean?

"That's enough about the past." He said in tone that let her know that he wasn't going to say anymore.

She nodded her head if for no other reason than to rid her mind of thoughts of him. He was the past and five years was a long time. She'd moved on with her life and he had most definitely moved on with his. And even if she did want to know about him, which she didn't, the freezer isle was not the place to find out. Which reminded her that she was there to get ice cream.

Paul stepped back to look at her from head to toe. "Wow, you look amazing and the natural hair thing you've got working is very nice."

"Why thank you. You're not looking so bad your damn self." She beamed at him.

"Well you know how I do." He said as he popped his collar and did a slow turn. Making her laugh.

Gosh it felt good to laugh with him again.

"But enough about me, look at you. You've put on weight and where did you get that." He said pointing to her butt. "Wait!" He held up his hand before she could say anything. "It looks great on you. I always thought that you were too thin."

"All of this," she said placing her hands on fuller hips than she'd ever had, "is a result of a very stressful job and way too much Ben and Jerry's to wash it all down. Which is why I'm actually here."

"You're in town to get ice cream?" He frowned.

"No smart guy. No one would ever guess you graduated top of your class from medical school asking questions like that." She laughed.

"You know what I meant smart ass. What are you doing in town, how long have you been here and where have you been?" He eyed her suspiciously.

Breezy looked down at her watch. " I've been living and working in San Antonio, I've been in town all of fifteen minutes and Phoenix is getting married on next Saturday."

"Phoenix?" He asked wide eyed.

"Phoenix" she responded matter of factly.

"Who the hell would marry Phoenix?

"Hey, that's not nice. Phoenix is beautiful."

"Yes she is. But you know as well as I do that odd and weird don't even begin to describe your sister. So once again I'll ask. Who in the hell would marry Phoenix?"

"The only kind of man that could marry a witch. A warlock." She stated emphatically.

"Oh you have got to be kidding me."

"Yes, I am."

"Oh thank God." He breathed a sigh of relief.

"They aren't called warlocks. He's a witch too." She smiled at him.

"Oh, this just keeps getting better and better. Could Phoenix get any weirder?"

"I wondered the same thing myself."

Phoenix Collins was beautiful. Stunning even. That is if you could get past her unruly mess of hair and too big bohemian clothes. Paul was right, Phoenix being odd was an understatement. Her quest in her youth to be one with nature had led her right to the Wiccan's front door and since the death of their parents, she had fully immersed herself into the religion and lifestyle. There weren't many African Americans in the lifestyle but Phoenix never let a little thing like race stop her and it was obvious it hadn't stopped her fiancé either because he was Asian. A sight the two of them make. She guessed with a name like Phoenix you always manage to rise up. But who the hell was she to talk about names, her damn name was Breezy and she was anything but.

Her parents had been flower children which made for a lot of free expression. Her mother believed that children took on the personality of their names. Her sister had been a preemie and stopped breathing several times during her first few days and each time they were able to revive her. Hence the name Phoenix and she'd lived up to it every step of the way, never letting anything or anyone hold her down. Phoenix always managed to rise.

But Breezy, well…, not so much. Her mother had only prayed that she would one day let go of all her seriousness and just fly. The problem was she just didn't know how. Being a awkward kid with weird parents and a even weirder older sister just didn't make for a easy life growing up. But deep inside she knew that the Breezy that her mother wanted her to become was someplace in there. She just had to find her. 

"Earth to Breezy, come in Breezy"

"Huh? What did you say?" She asked as she focused in on Paul again.

"Where did you go? You were a million miles away."

She waved him off. "I'm just tired from the long drive. What were you saying?"

"I asked how long are you going to be in town?"

"Oh, just for the week. I'm leaving out next Sunday."

"That's great! Hang out with Phoenix during the day and do whatever wedding stuff you have to do while I'm at work. Then you'll be free to hang out with me in the evenings. As a matter of fact, why don't you and Phoenix come down to the club tonight and hear me play.

Breezy froze then began to shake her head. "I…I don't think that’s such a good idea Paul."

"Don't worry baby girl, he's no longer in the band. He stopped singing."

"Really?" She stared surprised. She knew he loved to sing and Jazz was his specialty. His smooth voice was what had drawn her to him. His dark hair and green eyes had hooked her. And the way he made her feel like she was the only women in the world had made her give him her heart. But it had all been a lie. "When?" she paused and cleared her thought, her voice coming out shaker than she intended. "When did he stop singing?" she asked. Her voice a little more steady.

"Five years ago. What a waste." He said shaking his head. "The guy could have been the next Harry Connick, Jr.. Never met a white boy who could scat like that."

She sighed. Why did it seem like Paul was trying to tell her something.

"Listen," he said, "I've gotta run. Here are my cards."

She smiled as he held up two business card for her to take. The first was Dr. Paul D. Miller, Pediatrician and the other was Paul D. Jazz saxophonist at Summer's Dinner and Jazz Club. She'd never heard of the place but if Paul played there then it had to be nice.

She laughed out loud. "Talk about living a double life."

"My patients love me and so do you. See you tonight?"

He looked so hopeful. How could she possibly say no? That was the problem, she knew that she couldn't say no and he knew it too because she did love him.

She smiled and nodded. He grabbed her in a warm embrace and kissed her on the cheek.

"I'm so glad your home. I missed you. We'll catch up later." With that he turned and walked away.

She watched as he paid for his items and how the women fawned over his tall brown frame. Why couldn't she have fallen in love with Paul. He was so easy to love. He was one of the good guys that only dated one woman at a time. He was a doctor for goodness sake and he was gorgeous! But there had been absolutely no chemistry between them.

She'd met Paul her first year at Baylor. He was a senior in Pre-Med at the time and was part of a welcome group that took freshmen from their home towns under their wings and showed them the ropes. They had clicked instantly. He'd become her best friend, the brother she never had and the envy of every girl in her class. But he was also the person who introduced her to heartbreak and for that he felt guilty. Her leaving and cutting him off only added to his guilt and now hers.

She'd been a piss poor friend over the last five years but she planned on changing that starting tonight. She'd make it up to him somehow.

Breezy quickly grabbed four pints of Chunky Monkey and a pint each of Cherry Garcia, Pistachio Pistachio, and Triple Carmel Chuck for variety and headed to check out. Somehow she knew that she and Phoenix would need them all to get through the week.

 

End Notes:

Breezy has made the decision to go see Paul at the club.

Chapter 2 by Yevette Linn
Author's Notes:

none

 

 

Chapter 2

 

"Where the hell have you been? You should have been here a half hour ago! I'm going out of my damn mind here." Phoenix yelled as Breezy walked into her childhood home for the first time in five years.

Not having a chance to say a word as Phoenix barreled on.

"Akio's mom is a bitch. Do you know he told her that she could plan my wedding reception? Who does that? She's Asian for Christ sake. What kind of food are we going to have? Fried rice and egg rolls!"

"You know that's racist, right? And in case you haven't noticed Akio's Asian as well." Did she really have to point out the obvious?

"Ugh! That's not the point. I wanted traditional. You know chicken and beef, maybe even fish. But oh no, he tells me not to worry about it, that they have it under control. Don't worry! Of course I'm going to worry, it's my wedding day and she hates me!" Phoenix continued on.

Breezy had heard enough. Talk about Bridezilla. "Hello Phoenix. How are you? Yes, I'm well. Thanks for asking. No, just a little tired after a seven plus hour drive with an annoying older sister calling every fifteen minutes to ask where I am. Now if you don't mind, I'd like to put my things down on my side of the house since I can't touch anything that belongs to you! Here!" She handed her the ice cream and stormed off to her room.

Breezy dropped her bags and slammed the door to her bedroom. This was going to be a long week if today was any indication. A weird Phoenix was one thing but a half crazy Phoenix would require tequila.

She'd conceded the house to Phoenix and her lifestyle since she was no longer living there, with the exceptions being her bedroom, the kitchen and their parent's bedroom. Those things were strictly off limits to her unique decorating styles and ideas about things being faced a certain way and not touched. Whatever that was about.

There was a knock on the door before her sister walked in and plopped down on her bed.

 "What's eating you?" Phoenix asked around a mouth full of ice cream. "You look like you lost your best friend."

"More like found him."

"Huh?"

Breezy sat up and took the ice cream from her sister's hand and downed a big spoonful before she spoke. It was amazing that something so simple as ice cream could manage to sooth them. "Paul. I ran into Paul at the grocery store."

"Oh crap!" Phoenix yelled as she abruptly stood and bolted from the room only to return seconds later with another pint of ice cream and spoon. "How did that go?" She asked as she sat cross legged at the foot of the bed like they use to do when they were kids.

"Well, he treated me better than I deserved. In fact he wants to put it all behind us and rekindle our friendship. He said that he understood."

"Wow. Just like that? I always knew Paul was a great guy. I told you he would understand. You really hurt him when you left."

Breezy sighed and felt the weight of her decision weighing her down again. "I know. I just didn't know what else to do and I didn't want him to have to pick sides. He and … the two of them have been friends since they were kids. I couldn't be the cause of a possible rift between them."

"Are you ready to talk about what happened between the two of you yet? I mean I pieced together most of it. I know you two were hot and heavy that summer and the next thing I know is you're telling me that you're leaving, he's getting married to some woman who's pregnant. Now this is where it gets kind of fuzzy, because I heard that after she had the baby…"

Breezy held up her hand to stop her sister. She really didn't want to hear about his wife and baby. "You know, I really don't want to talk about it. I came here to help you." She smiled at her sister trying to quickly change the subject. "Show me your dress. I know it's beautiful."

Phoenix's eyes lit up as she jumped off the bed and ran to her room. Breezy knew that would do the trick. Phoenix had done nothing but talk about the wedding and Akio since he proposed to her six months ago. She was happy for her sister, truly she was. She just wished that they would have eloped in Vegas or flown to the Caribbean. Anything. But nooo, the most untraditional person on the planet decides to have a traditional wedding. Complete with bridesmaids, flowers, organ music and the releasing of doves. Really?

"What do you think?" Phoenix asked as she walked back into the room holding up a black dress that Morticia Addams would be proud of. So much for traditional.

Breezy struggled to come up with the right words. "It's uh, different." That's the absolute best she could do with a straight face.

"I thought that you would like it." Phoenix was clearly wrapped up in her own little world.

Then a horrifying thought crossed her mind. If Phoenix wedding dressed looked like that,  then what in the world would her dress look like? She shuddered at the thought.

"You know Paul invited us to come hear him play tonight at some Jazz club."

"Can't make it." Phoenix said admiring her dress in the mirror. "Akio and I are having a meeting with some friends."

"My first time back home in five years and you're ditching me?" Breezy asked, completely outdone.

Phoenix turned piercing eyes at her. "Oh shut up. I've come to see you ever month for the past five years. I haven't missed a holiday or a birthday. I take my job as big sister seriously. It was you who left. I didn't understand it but I never pushed you for answers. I still don't know what's going on. I respected your decision. Now if you could get over yourself for just one minute and give back to me just a portion of the attention that I have given to you, then this week will be fine because it's my time!" She gave her one more evil look before she walked out the door, careful not to drag her dress.

Breezy was stunned. This really was turning out to be the week from hell. She fell back on the bed and draped her arm over her eyes and began to think about what her sister had said.

Wow, Phoenix was right. She had given up her own life to take care of Breezy and she was still doing it to this day.

Phoenix had only been nineteen when their parents were killed in a car crash. It had been Breezy's sixteenth birthday, which only added to the heartbreak and hurt that this place held for her. Phoenix stepped up and did what she had to do in order to insure their survival. While Breezy on the other hand had fallen apart.

Maybe she was being a brat, never really thinking about the total sacrifice that her sister had made for her.

Phoenix had taken the insurance money and paid the house off and put the rest up so that Breezy could go to college. While she on the other hand had worked every two bit job she could find to pay the bills and take a college course here and there for herself until she had gotten her certificate in medical billing and coding. She finally landed a job that would allow her to work from home so that she could look after Breezy.

Even after she left for San Antonio, Phoenix would visit her one weekend a month. She never missed a holiday and she always made sure that her birthdays were special celebration of life. She never asked for anything in return and she never complained.

The only thing that Breezy had done to save her sister some money was finish her four year program in three years. But even after she finished, Phoenix had insisted that she get her master's degree, which she did.

So she guessed it was time for her to get off her butt and see what she could do to make her sister's life better.

She found Phoenix leaning on the counter in the kitchen with a fresh pint of ice cream.

"If you keep eating all that ice cream, you won't be able to fit in that dress on Saturday."

Phoenix looked up from her frozen treat and scoffed, "You're one to talk with all the weight you've gained. I wasn't sure if we should put you in a dress or buy a taffeta bed sheet to wrap around you." She smiled at her teasingly.

"Taffeta? Oh, that's cold right there." She frowned as she snatched the ice cream form her sister's hand and popped a spoonful in her mouth. The fifteen pounds that she'd gained over the past five years had gone straight to her breast, hips and butt. "You're gonna pay for that one." She said pointing the spoon at her sister.

Phoenix snatched the ice cream back before she could get another spoonful, then put the lid back on it. "You're right, we need to slow down before we're both too wide to make it down the aisle in any dress. And speaking of dress, what are you planning to wear tonight?

 "You know, I have no idea. I'm not sure what the dress code is."

"What's the name of the place?" Phoenix asked

Breezy reached into her back pocked and pulled out the business cards that Paul had given her. "It's called Summer. Ever heard of it?"

"Yeah, it's a new place in the Old South Baton Rouge area, not far from the university. They've got a lot going on over there. Part of some neighborhood revitalization project."

"You ever been?"

Phoenix shot her a look that spoke volumes. "Not my scene. But from the times I've passed by there it's been packed. Maybe you should call Paul."

"I think I'll text him."

She sent Paul a text asking about the dress code and received a quick response.

Dressy casual.

"So little black dress it is then."

 

***

Jace, stood silently watching his staff as they scurried about getting the place ready for opening. They knew he was there but he didn't have to tell a single person what to do. Summer was a well oiled machine and he designed it that way.

There wasn't a job in his place that he hadn't personally trained the staff on. From cleaning the bathrooms, mopping the floors, washing the dishes, mixing drinks and waiting tables, he'd done it all. The only thing that he didn't do was cook and he was learning the art of that as well.

He wasn't one of those bosses that hired out for someone else to do the grunt work. If anything needed to be done then he did it himself. If they were short on staff he filled in and his group respected him for that. They knew he never asked any of them to do anything that he himself wouldn't do. Which also meant that they knew he expected perfection. He  paid them well and he didn't give second chances for major screw ups or anything that cost him money or customers.

He'd taken every dime that he'd inherited from his grandparents and Ms. Peterson, minus what he'd sunk into investments, to make this place a reality and it definitely wasn't easy getting here.

Jace had spent one year getting his life together, six months looking for the perfect location, a year and a half getting the place up and running and it was six months before he finally turned a profit. Not that he'd sat on it because the profits from Summer  were going into opening his latest project across the street. A place for the college kids to go, with casual food and drinks at a reasonable price and the place would also feature local bands every night.

He wasn't doing too bad for someone under thirty-five from the wrong side of the tracks. He'd made good on his promises but that's all he'd done. None of it gave him any joy. He was literally as miserable now as the day he started this venture. Only his sheer stubbornness kept him going daily.

Jace slowly turned his head as the smooth sounds of a alto sax filled the air then a beautiful, sultry voice began to sing about stormy weather that would make Lena Horne proud.

He watched with pure interest as the little bundle of dynamite made love to the mic with her voice. Her petite brown frame reminded him of another. He shook his head at the thought. That was a lifetime ago. Besides, if she was a friend of Paul's then she was probably a good girl and he'd been there and done that.

Nope, all he needed women now for was the relief that they could bring.  He only dealt with women who knew what he expected and wanted the same thing in return. A good time and nothing more.

His eyes drifted to the bar where he knew he would find a set of eyes watching him. Megan, one of his bartenders, in fact his best bartender, was always watching him in silent invitation. Her tall willowy frame, olive skin, red pouty lips and set of triple D's, that sat up and begged for attention, were the things of any man's fantasies. But she was an employee and that was a line that he simply wasn't willing to cross no matter how much she flirted. That was a lawsuit waiting to happen and a headache that he didn't need.

He'd had to put her in her place once when she'd corned him in the stock room. He'd made it perfectly clear that if she ever crossed that line again that she'd be out of a job. And with the amount of money that she was bringing in in tips nightly, he supposed that was enough of a deterrent for something that was never going to happen. Besides, she would wind up just like the rest of them, trying to find a way into a heart that didn't exist anymore. They all wanted more and he didn't have anything to give. That time in his life was over.

He turned his attention back to the stage where Paul was giving it his all. He had to give it to the guy, he could play that sax like nobody's business and he absolutely loved what he was doing. Not many people could play like that outside of full time recording artist. Considering the fact that Paul was a doctor, in a private practice with his father, he managed to dedicate just as much time to rehearsal with his band and it showed.

When, he'd come to Paul and told him about his idea for Summer,  he'd jumped at the idea as long as his band could be featured on Friday nights. It was a no brainer. Paul's band was known all around the city and they drew massive crowds. And the best part of having them as the house band was that they came at no cost. They were all professionals in their own rights an only played for the love of music. How could he argue with that logic? He'd once been the same way until the day the music stopped in his life.

As the last notes filled the room Jace stepped out of the corner he'd been standing in and clapped. It had been ages since he'd heard them play.

"Bravo!"

Paul looked up and smiled then began to take a bow when a stunned expression crossed his face.

"Take five." Paul yelled over his shoulder as he hopped off the stage and made a bee line straight to Jace with a determined look on his face.

Jace took a look behind him and wondered what in the world had Paul on such a mission but soon realized that it was him that was being sought when Paul stopped just mere inches from him.

"What are you doing here?" Paul questioned

"Is that a trick question?" Jace asked confused.

"It's Friday. You're never here on Friday's."

"It's Mike's anniversary, he wanted the day off to take his wife out." He answered, still confused by Paul's behavior.

Mike was his manager so he didn't mind filling in when he had to.

"Oh, this is not good. This is not good." Paul paced.

"What's not good? What the hell is wrong with you?"

"Listen, there's something I have to tell you."

"Well spill it. You're making me nervous with all this damn pacing."

"Ok, earlier today I ran into…"

They was interrupted by one of the busboys running their way.

"Hey Paul D," he said out of breath. "You have a visitor, at the door. Man, she is fine. I wish I was you tonight." He said as he walked away.

"A visitor? Sounds interesting. And here I was thinking that you and the little songbird had something going on." Jace smiled and waggled his eyebrows.

"Who Dajah? Please, she works in my office. But that's not what I have to tell you. Had I known you would be here tonight I would have never invited her. So don't freak out on me. But I invited …"

"Breezy" Jace whispered as he and Paul stared at the door

 

End Notes:

none

Chapter 3 by Yevette Linn
Author's Notes:

`

 

 

Chapter 3

 

Jace stared at the door. His feet rooted to the spot as he watched the only woman he has ever loved, laughing and talking to another one of his busboys.

What the hell was she doing here?

He'd gone over in his head a million times what he'd say to her whenever he saw her again but at the moment his brain was mush and all he could do was stare.

She was still the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. He eyed her up and down and took in every curve of her delectable body. A body that he knew well. A body that he'd touched and kissed every inch of. A body that he'd made love to for hours. A body that obviously still had the ability to make him hard as railroad iron as he began to feel the tightening behind his zipper.

The black dress that covered her petite frame was classically simple on anyone else, but on her it was wet dream inducing. From the spaghetti straps that showed off  her beautiful brown shoulders. The slight dip in the front that exposed the slight swell of her breast. To the firm legs that had wrapped around his waist and had him moaning in ecstasy. All the way down to her perfectly painted red toe nails that were incased in a pair of black heeled sandals.

She was perfect and it pissed him off.

The fact that his mind and his body were betraying him, pissed him off even more. He didn't want to feel anything for her.

 She was so animated as she talked to his staffer. The poor kid never stood a chance. He was held captive by whatever she was saying. She had that affect on people, especially men.

They were taken in by the most beautifully, expressive brown eyes known to man and then they were gut punched by the most amazing smile ever created. All incased in the sweetest little pumpkin face.

But little did they know that behind all that sweetness was Hannibal Lecter. She could cut your heart out and eat it while you smiled as she did it.

He should know.    

Paul's ramblings pulled him from his internal struggle. "Listen J.B., I didn't know you  were going to be here tonight."

"What is she doing here?" Jace asked through gritted teeth.

"I'll explain later. I've gotta catch her before she sees you." Paul said over his shoulder as he began walking off.

"Sees me? What the hell is that supposed to mean?" He questioned, soon realizing he was talking to himself.

Why wouldn't she want to see him? She was the one who left, not the other way around. He was the one who had been left high and dry with no explanation and she didn't want to see him?

Who the hell does she think she is?

He watched her eyes light up the second they landed on Paul and in a instant the light was gone the moment they landed on him.

He watched her loose her footing and nearly fall, as every damn man in the room ran to assist her.

Including him.

She was trying to leave.

Oh, no. She wasn't going to get off that easy.

 

***

 

Breezy stumbled as she set eyes on him for the first time in five years.

The bastard was just standing there looking better than he had any right to look. The years had definitely been kind to him.

She wasn't the only one who had put on weight. He was always fit but this looked like all muscle. He was obviously hitting the gym pretty damn hard.

His once shoulder length jet black hair was now cut short and very professional. But it was his emerald green eyes that were now as hard as jade that had her backing up and trying to get away as quickly as possible.

Fortunately, Paul caught her before she face planted in the middle of the floor. Her stupid legs wouldn't cooperate.

A chorus of  "are you okay" rang out all around her.

Shit, that was embarrassing.

And even more so because it happened in front of him.

"Breezy, wait." Paul pleaded, halting her uncoordinated retreat.   

"I can't do this Paul." She said trying to get her bearings.

"Can't do what?" Breezy froze as the sound of his smooth baritone voice poured over her like warm honey.

She turned if by rote at the sound of his voice. Damn, he was even better looking up close.

"What is she doing here, Paul?" He turned accusing eyes on his friend.

"That's what I was trying to tell you." Paul said turning to face him. "I invited her here to see me play. I had no idea you were going to be here. You're never here on Friday nights."

"What the hell difference does that make? She's here." He continued to grit out his words.

Paul stepped in front of her, pushing her slightly behind him. The tension radiating off him was palpable. "It makes a hell of a difference. Because she's my guest. I haven't seen her in forever and she of all people should feel welcomed here at Summer. Or did you fucking forget…"

"I haven't forgotten a damn thing." He said cutting Paul off.

"Then stop being a asshole." Paul said as he stepped closer to his best friend in her defense.

This is what she had feared all along. This is why she had kept her distance by never reaching out to Paul. She didn't want to be the cause of problems within their friendship.

It was time to bring this to an end. She couldn't bear the thought of them fighting.

"Paul," she said putting her hands on his shoulder. "This is what I was talking about. I'm just going to go. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have agreed to come."

Paul turned to face her, concern in his eyes. "This has nothing to do with you, Breezy. This is about Jace's miserable existence and his talent for taking it out on everyone else instead of looking in the damn mirror." He said pointing at his friend.

Why the hell would he be miserable? He for damn sure didn't look miserable. He looked like hot, toe curling sex. A look that she knew well that he could deliver on.

"My life isn't miserable, it's perfect." He defended.

"If by perfect, you mean fucked up, then I'll have to agree with you." Paul countered, turning back to face him.

"Says the doctor. Is that your professional opinion or one you just pulled out of your ass?"

This was getting out of hand.

"Guys." Breezy said to try and get their attention before this escalated any further.

"Why don't you make an appointment? I'm use to dealing with annoying children."

"I'm not sure if my insurance covers quacks."

"Guys! That's enough." She yelled.

"Stay out of this!" They shouted at her in unison.

This was crazy and so were they. If they wanted to tear each other to shreds, then she wasn't going to hang around and watch. She was leaving.

"Five minutes until opening!" someone yelled from a distance.

She definitely wasn't going to be a party to brawl with a bigger audience than the one already hanging around looking.

"I'm out." She said as she turned to walk away but came up short as a steel band wrapped around her arm. "Hey!" she shrieked as a sudden panic came over her.

"Oh, no you don't." He said pulling her closer to him. "We need to talk."

His voice was so low that she hardly recognized it. And the green fire, shooting from his eyes, let her know that he fully intended to have his way in this.

But Paul was having none it. He must have felt her fear and apprehension.

"Jace, we've been friends for a long time,'' Paul started, "and I love you like a brother. But this is going to turn real ugly, real fast, if you don't let her go."

She felt him tense and his grip tighten at Paul's words.

Paul was such a mild mannered guy. The only time that she'd ever seen him angry or threatening was when it had come to her. He was always looking out for her and it would appear that five years hadn't dulled those protective instincts. He was willing to come to blows with his best friend over her. She hadn't allow it then and she wouldn't allow it now. She'd face the devil himself and this was pretty damn close, before she allowed any harm to come to Paul.

She smiled at her friend, attempting to sooth him. "It's okay Paul. I'm sure Ja…," she'd almost slipped up again. She'd made a vow to never speak his name and dammit she was sticking to it. "I'm sure he won't hurt me." She said looking over her shoulder at him. She could shoot daggers too.

"Okay." He nodded with all seriousness. "When you're done I have a table up front reserved just for you. But if at any time--."

"She's fine."

Before she could utter another word, she felt herself being pulled toward the back of the restaurant. She saw Paul watching them as he stepped back up on the stage. The restaurant began to flood with people.

She didn't know where he was taking her but she wasn't really scared. She knew he would never hurt her. Plus, Paul was in the building. She supposed she was just a little fearful of the unknown.

Five years was a long time but it obviously wasn't long enough for her body to forget what it felt like to be so close to him. And his scent was intoxicating. If he wasn't holding onto her so damn tightly, she might have swooned. But as it was she was doing good just to keep up with his long strides.

But when he shoved her into a office and locked door she knew she was in trouble.

Shit!

This was not good.

 

Jace stood with his head leaning against the door and his back to her. He had to walk quickly to get her there. The feel of her soft body against his was fucking with his libido. The deep breaths that he was taking, to calm himself down, only served a point to make him crazy, because with each inhalation, he could only smell her.

She smelled like Spring time.

She didn't wear heavy perfumes. She didn't need to. Her natural scent was enough to make men drop at her feet and do anything in their power to stay there.

He wasn't sure what had come over him when he saw her turn to leave. He just knew that he couldn't let her go. All the things that he wanted to say to her over the years, all seemed to blur into insignificance. He just wanted her close.

He heard her clear her throat behind him as if she were tired of waiting on him. But she would stay here all damn night until she answered every one of his questions. Starting with the most pressing one.

"Where have you been Breezy? He asked, still not able to turn around and look at her.

He was met with silence.

"Do not make me ask again."

"Texas." She nearly whispered.

"Where in Texas?"

"San Antonio"

"San Antonio!" Was she fucking kidding him. She never mentioned San Antonio ever. He had friends and investments there. And she'd been there all this time. Now he was well and truly pissed. "Do you have any idea how long I looked for you?'

"Obviously not long enough." She mumbled.

He turned to face her and the smug look on her face set off a fire that wouldn't be put out quickly.

He took a step toward her. "You do not want to go there with me today." He watched as she took a small step back, which only set off his predator instincts. If she was going to run, it only made him want to chase. So he took another step. Effectively caging her in."Why are you here?"

She licked her lips and he nearly groaned. "Um, because Paul invited me to hear him play."

He advance another step. "That's not good enough."

"Wh… What do you mean?" She stammered her breathing shallow.

"You had to know I was here. Yet you showed up anyway. You had to know that this confrontation was coming." He said as he reached out and wrapped a finger around one of her twist locks. These were new. The last time he'd seen her she'd worn her hair in a short pixie cut. But he liked these. These he could pull and make her tilt her head back to look into his eyes.

She began to shake her head. "I didn't know you would be here. Paul said you weren't in the band anymore. That you wouldn't be here."

"He's right, I'm not in the band anymore. I own the whole club." Her eyes widened in surprise and she attempted to take a step back but he held her firmly within his grasp.

"Listen, um, you, uh just listen." She continued to stammer.

"You?" Now that pissed him off. "I have a name. You do remember my name don't you Breezy?" He said as he pulled harder on her hair.

"Yes of course I know your name."

"Then say it." He said as he leaned into her ear. "Say my name." He felt her body shudder and his hardened even more.

She began to vigorously shake her, "No."

"You use to scream my name." He slowly ran his other hand down her cheek then across her bottom lip. He full lips were so beautiful and lush. "I bet I could still make you scream my name."

She continued to shake her head but her body was softening just the way it always had. It appeared that she wasn't as immune as she wanted him to believe. He didn't know what was driving him to push her but push her he would.

"Say my name Breezy, or I'll be forced to make you scream it."

"I can't." She said breathlessly.

"The only thing I want to hear drip from your lips is, Jace, in three, two, …" He continued to explore the new curves and contours of her body. She had always been sexy, but these new curves were driving him insane. And the only thing that could satisfy his appetite was her complete and total submission to his will.

"Okay, okay" she pleaded. "I'll say your stupid name."

Jace tisked and shook his head. "That was the wrong response baby." He said just before he slammed his mouth over hers.

 

 

 

 

End Notes:

`

Chapter 4 by Yevette Linn
Author's Notes:

Thanks for reading everyone. Please stick and stay with me. And keep the reviews coming. I promise to respond to each and every one of them and answer as many questions as I can without spoilers. Again Thanks!!

Yevette

 

 


Chapter 4

 

Her defiance to speak his name only fueled his desire for her. She wouldn't only speak his name but he would make her scream it. He wanted to feel her come apart in his arms again. Correction, he needed to make her come apart. He needed to feel her body shudder knowing that he was the cause.

Fueled by a lust so strong, he attempted to deepen the kiss as he licked and nipped at her lips, tasting the sweetness of her strawberry lip gloss. He wanted her open to him in every single way. His body craved the contact between them. 

Jace couldn't believe that he had her in his arms again. He softness was an addiction, a compulsion, a fire in his blood that he'd never be able to quench.

He angled his body to press his erection against her soft middle. At the contact she gasped and he plunged his tongue deep into her mouth.

Her soft moan and the feel of her tentative tongue joining his, splinted his brain and he lost it. He grabbed her face and began taking long deep licks from her mouth.     

Jace could feel the blood pumping through his veins and he wasn't sure he was going to make it. He had wanted her to scream his name but if he wasn't careful, it would be him screaming hers. He was so hard and she was so soft.

He pulled her closer until there was no room left between them. Her body molded to his perfectly. Everything about her was perfect and this little defiant streak that she had going, only fueled his longing for her more.

He was becoming lost within her, just like he always had but he needed to remain in control. He still need answers and he would have them, no matter how his body screamed for him to take her right here in his office.

He began a slow assault of her body. Touching and feeling his way around the body that he once knew so well.

 

Breezy hung in suspended animation as he wrapped his arms around her . His touch must have been electric because he had short circuit her brain. She couldn't think, couldn't move, couldn't do anything but feel the softness of his mouth on hers. But she didn't need her brain to work because her starved body remembered his touch and began to react on its own.

When he treaded his hands through her locks and gently pulled on her scalp to allow better access to her neck, she was gone.

She was his.

She had always been his.

She could feel the moisture pool between her legs where he continued to push his erection against her. He nipples had hardened to tight points and begged to be touched by his strong, sure hands.

She was rewarded instantly, when he began to lightly rub his hands over her breast and when he grazed her nipple, she whimpered into his mouth.

She ripped her mouth from his as she struggled to breathe. He was consuming her and she felt helpless in his grasp.

But his aggressive assault on her body continued as he began to kiss her face, neck and ears before he lowered his head and latched onto one of her nipples through her dress.

She felt her body shudder and she knew that he felt it too.

"You are so beautiful Breezy and your body is so responsive," she heard him say before he latched onto the other nipple and her knees nearly buckled.

If he kept it up, she would do more than scream his name, she'd be lost and the last five years would have been for nothing. For as much as she craved his touch, she couldn't allow herself to fall under his spell again. She'd been there and done that. But she would concede this round to him.

He'd broken her down and made her want him again. But she did have some pride about herself and she wouldn't fall victim to the likes of Jace Bennett.

"You've proven your point." She said breathlessly as she pushed against his shoulders.

"Proven what point?" He whispered as he began to walk her backwards toward the wall.

Shit. She couldn't think. He was clouding her brain. She had to find some control. She needed to end this.

"I'll say you name okay. It's Jace. Jace!" She screamed at him.

She saw his smug smile and it pissed her off that he could so easily manipulate her and take such liberties with her body. She pushed at him but it was like trying to move a brick wall that wouldn't budge. He kept her pent to the wall, looking down at her with those piercing green eyes.

"That's a start baby, but not quite what I was talking about." 

"Jace, please."

"Ah, now that's better. But you don't have to beg. I'm willing to give you whatever you need." He said as he ran a slow finger down her cheek.

"I just want to go."

"And I'll let you go after you answer a few questions."

"Okay." She readily agreed. She knew this day was coming she had just hoped that it would be under different circumstances. But as it was she would answer any questions that he had as long as it got her the hell out of his office and away from him.

 

Jace took a few deep breaths to get his body under control. This was the moment that he had been waiting for. The moment when he could get the answers that he needed so that he could have some closure. But even as his brain thought it, his body was rebelling against the idea.

His body wanted the relief that he knew that she could bring, which only aggravated him even more. So he kept her pent up against him while he asked his questions.

"When did you get back to town?" He asked the question but did he really want to know the answer? Had she been here for weeks? Month? Years? Had she been back in town hiding from him? The though made him mad and he pushed himself closer to her, if that were possible, as he waited for her answer.

"Could you please move?" She asked as she attempted to move him again.

"No." He wasn't going anywhere. Besides, he was rather enjoying the feel of her body next to his.

She took a ragged breath that he felt vibrate through his soul before she spoke.

"I just got here today. I ran into Paul five minutes after stepping foot into the city."

"Have you moved back?"

"No" she shook her head as she answered.

"How often do you come home?" He continued to question her

"This isn't home anymore." She stared at him defiantly. Her brown eyes piercing him.

He narrowed his eyes on her. "Don't play word games with me Breezy. How often do you come to Baton Rouge?"

"I don't. I haven't been here in five years. There is no need. My life is in Texas."

"You have a sister--"

She cut him off,  "A sister that comes to see me every month. And if it wasn't for her, I wouldn't be in this godforsaken city now."

"What does that suppose to mean? What's wrong with her?"

"There's nothing wrong with her. She's getting married."

He reared back to look down at her with what he knew must have been sheer shock on his face. "Who the hell would marry Phoenix?"

She rolled her eyes at him. "Why does everyone keep saying that? Phoenix is beautiful and yes, she may be a little weird, but she deserves happiness just like everyone else."

"A little weird?" He smiled down at her. It was his first genuine smile in a long time. And his heart nearly skipped a beat when she shook her head and gave him a smile back.

"Okay, a lot weird." She confessed, "but she's happy and that's all that matters."

He began to chuckle. He couldn't imagine it, but if Phoenix was happy, then he guessed that's all that mattered as well.

"How long will you be here?" He asked as he began to play with her hair. He loved the feel and texture of it between his fingers.

"Until next Sunday."

At her answer, the weight of the world seemed to lift from his shoulders. He stood there looking at her and everything that had happened in the last few years began to blur into insignificance. The only thing that mattered was that she was right here, right now with him.

He took a step back and she visibly relaxed. If she was going to be her for a week then he had time. Time for what, he didn't know, but he no longer felt the urgent need to pressure her. Although he was still hard as granite. He willed his body to move slightly away from her.

"So what do you think of the club?" He asked as continued to play with her hair.

"From what I could see, it's beautiful. You pulled it off. I never doubted you for a second."

"And the name? Summer?" He wanted to know if she approved.

"I think it's beautiful, although…" she trailed off.

"Although what?" He tilted his head trying to get a read on her.

She shook her head. "Nothing."

"You think that it should be named something else?"

"No, no, nothing like that."

"Maybe, it should be named after a certain someone?  Maybe someone as beautiful as a Summer Breeze?"

Her eyes shot up to meet his and the realization of what he was saying sank in. The memory of his name for her was still fresh in his mind. Paul, was the only person that knew why he had chosen the name of the club. She'd been the inspiration and the motivation behind it. That's why he worked so damn hard. He wanted a place worthy of his Summer Breeze if only in his mind.

"You named the club after me? But why?"

He cupped her face and watch as her eyes began to shine. "Because I told you I would. And I'm a man of my word."

"But Jace…"

"No buts'. It's done and we're a success, baby."

 

Breezy stood there stunned.

We're? The hell was that supposed to mean.

It was becoming harder and harder for her to think around him. She had to get out of there before she did something stupid like fall for his softly spoken word, caresses and kisses.

She shook her head to clear her thoughts but she only leaned into his hand as it cupped her face. His touch felt so good and so familiar. She would allow herself this one boon before she steeled herself against him.

"Jace, you've done an amazing job. And judging by the long line that was waiting to get in here, you appear to be quite the business man."

"Paul and the band are the draw on Friday nights. But other local jazz bands, that have their only following, play the other nights. It works."

He ran the pad of this thumb across her lip and she nearly licked it. It was a Herculean effort on her part to remain standing, when all she wanted to do was melt at his feel.

When she looked up, and locked eyes with him, she could see his desire for her. She knew her own eyes mirrored his. She shouldn't want this but she did and he knew it. He knew her.

No words needed to be spoken. It was an understanding that they had shared right from the beginning. A knowing that she could trust him with her body and he would give her the ultimate pleasure. A trust that he delivered on time and time again. And a promise that his eyes were willing to keep.

When he leaned in to kiss her, he was brought up short by a knock at the door. "Just ignore it. My staff knows better than to disturb me." He whispered in her ear and she shuddered.

But the knocking continued and the spell was broken. "Maybe you should get that." She said as she gently pushed on his shoulders.

"Okay" he said as he smiled down at her and trailed a single finger down her cheek.

She watched with fascination as a mask of annoyance, rage and pure fury crossed his handsome face. She felt sorry for whoever was on the other side of the door.

 

Jace was across the room in three long strides. Whoever it was, was going to feel his wrath. They knew that unless the damn building was on fire, that he was not to be disturbed.

He opened the door and there stood the young busser, Nick, that had been walking with Breezy. The kid was already on his shit list for that alone and now he had the damn nerve to knock on his door. But today he would learn the lesson that apparently nobody had bothered to tell him, or maybe they had because he looked scared as hell. But he would get it right from him this time and there would never be another mistake like this one.

He began calmly, "Nick, what kind of door policy do I have?"

He watched him swallow deeply before answering. "Open door, Mr. Bennett."

"It's Jace. Call me Jace." He said as he looked over his shoulders to see Breezy narrow  her eyes on him. "That's right. That means that when my door is open, which it usually is, then you are welcome to come in, no knocking necessary and talk to me about anything. But when this door is closed," he said as he placed his hand on the door, "then do not knock, do not come in, do not do anything until you see it open again. If I am laid out dead in here with the door closed, then my body will go undiscovered because you and everyone will know not to open this damn door. Do you understand?" It was a bit extreme but he wanted to make sure that he got his point across.

"Yes, yes sir I do. I understand but it was major important." The kid continued to stammer on.

"There is nothing in this world more important than what I have going on right now."

"But she insisted that she be let in."

"Who?"

"Your wife." He said just as Sara stepped in the door looking her usual flawless self, wearing a hot pink maternity dress.

He heard Breezy's gasp before he turned to see the shocked and hurt look cross her beautiful face.

He was fucked.

"Well, what do we have here?" Sara purred as she slung her long dark tresses. "It seems as if we've been here before. Breezy isn't it? That is your name right?" She questioned as she rubbed her hands across a very pregnant belly.

"Sara, what the hell?" He said taking in her tanned smug face. He turned to face Breezy and notice the moment her eyes frosted over and he had lost her again. "Breezy it's not what you think. She's--"

She waved him off with a dismissive hand. "It's no problem." She said coolly as she quickly moved passed him to the door before he could make a grab for her. "And you can trust that this moment will never happen a third time."

"Breezy! Stop! Breezy!" He yelled after her retreating back as she made her way down the hall to the main dining area. He ran a few strides to catch her but knew that he couldn't cause a scene and force her to stay.

Shit!  

How the hell had this happened. He slammed his palm against the side of the wall as he walked back into his office. He had to fix this. He would fix this. But first he had to deal with his crazy ex-wife who continued to make his life hell.

 

Chapter 5 by Yevette Linn
Author's Notes:

Sorry for the delay. This is only part of Chapter 5. The rest will be posted on tomorrow. 

Chapter 5

 

Jace took a deep breath and counted to ten. He had to pull some strength from someplace. Sara Philips was a force to be reckoned with and any sign of weakness would be exploited. 

He really didn't have time to deal with this. What he wanted was to find Breezy and force her to listen to him. Well, he wanted more than that, but listening to him would be a start.

He pressed his fingers to his lips, remembering her kiss. He could still feel her soft lips and taste her sweet mouth.

He groaned inwardly as he felt himself harden again at the mere thought of her. Just the sight of her had reduced him to his primitive self. Breezy did effortlessly what other women spent a lifetime trying to do. Her presence in a room drew everyone to her. She was beauty and innocence in its simplest for and he wanted her, he wanted to claim her and he would. But this time, he wouldn't let her go.

First he had to get his affairs in order.

Jace turned to look at his office door and knew what awaited him. He was pissed. Sara, had the uncanny ability to sense when he was feeling remotely good about anything.  She would then, swoop in, wreak havoc on his entire existence and  walk away as beautifully flawless as she walked in.

She'd caused him nothing but misery and heartbreak over the last six plus years of his life. What had initially started off as fun and the occasional good time had tuned into hell. She'd unleashed the dogs of war on his ass and she wasn't taking any prisoners. But he had news for her this time, where he'd capitulated and let her have her way in his moments of weakness, he'd never let it happen again.

He was more determined than ever to get Breezy back and nothing or no one was going to keep him from it.

"What do you want Sara?" Jace questioned as he walked past her and sat at his desk. He felt the beginnings of a headache coming on. He needed to get her out of here and find Breezy.

"Have you forgotten how much I love Jazz?" She asked as she smiled prettily at him. "It's how we met remember?"

He continued to stare blankly at her. He wasn't taking her trip down memory lane. "Again, what do you want?"

"I'm here to see the band. Paul is the best"

"Then by all means, go enjoy the show." He waved her to the door. "And close the door behind you."

She took a seat on the opposite side of his desk as if he hadn't spoken.

"You know, every Friday that I'm here, I expect you to walk out on that stage, pick up the mic and seduce the room with that voice of yours. And every Friday, I'm disappointed that you're not here. Until tonight."

"I'm a very busy person. I don't have the time nor the inclination to sing and I don't have time for pointless conversations. Now, since we've cleared that up, you can leave." He said dryly. He wanted her gone.

"But you've got the time to entertain her?" She questioned and he bristled. "I come here every Friday and I have never seen you here. I'm always told that you don't work on Friday's. But when your little chocolate drop show up, you magically appear."  

 "That's enough." He said through gritted teeth. She was skating on thin ice. He was glad that he was sitting behind his desk. She had better thank her lucky stars that she was woman. Had she been a man, she'd be picking her teeth up for that statement. And her present condition was keeping him from physically removing her.

"You never have time for me or our son."

"Your son."

"We were married."

"A decision that I regret every day of my damn life. You do not want to go there with me Sara. Your lies and your deceit cost me everything that I've ever cared about. You've taken enough from me."

"What is it about her? There was a line wrapped around the damn building of people waiting to get in here and she just walks in ahead of everyone like she owns the damn place."

"She does!" He slammed his hand on the desk and stood to his feet. "She's everything that you're not. And if you ever---"

Paul burst into his office with sax still around his neck. "What the fuck did you do to her?" His eyes were wild and trained solely on him. "She just got here and already you're screwing up. I promised you a ass kicking and I'm here to deli…" he paused as his eyes landed on Sara for the first time. "…ver. What the hell?" He turned questioning eyes to him.

Sara stood up and approached Paul, plastering a smile on her face. "I liked you Paul. I always thought that you and Breezy should be together. " She said as she looked over her shoulder at Jace before she continued. "Someone should defend her honor. God knows she won't get it from him." She said as she pointed a manicured finger back at Jace. "Oh, and great show. You're the best" She said as she leaned up on her tiptoes to place a kiss on his cheek before walking out.

They were both stunned to silence. What had they just witnessed.

End Notes:

Up next. Breezy!!

Thanks for reading. I really appreciate it. Please continue to let me know what you think. It helps me move forward. More tomorrow

Yevette

Chapter 5 (continued) by Yevette Linn
Author's Notes:

the rest of the chapter

Breezy pulled the keys from the ignition of her car and leaned her head back on the head rest. She couldn't believe how this day turned out. She was exhausted, mentally and physically. All she wanted to do was sleep and forget that this day had happened.

She'd been up before the sun rose to begin her journey, running into Paul at the store, dealing with Phoenix, going to the club, seeing Jace for the first time in five years, allowing him to kiss and feel her up, to meeting his wife, Sara. This was the day from hell and she just wanted it over.

How stupid could she be. Of course he was still married. And not only was he still married but he was apparently having another baby.

Breezy felt physically ill. How could she have allowed him to once again use her body for his own selfish gain? She'd been right there with him, falling under his spell. She'd trusted what she saw in his eyes, trusted that he would take care of her. He'd seemed so sincere. His words so sure. But like before, she'd just imagined it all. Imagined that a guy like, Jace Bennett, could possible want someone like her.

He was perfect and so was Sara. Together they made the perfect couple. They probably had perfect little babies. Babies that he would be proud to call his.

She sighed. She wasn't going there. She didn't want to dwell on the past. A past that had nearly destroyed her. A past that only stood to remind her of the pain and heartbreak that Jace and his, now wife, had helped to create.

The pains and hurts in her life were the reasons that she didn't trust easily. Her circle was small and she kept it that way.

She felt the vibration of her phone at her side. She picked it up when she noticed the three missed calls and four text messages. Two each were from Paul. She expected those. He'd been on the stage playing when she'd gotten the hell out of there. But the brief eye contact that they made let her know that he was not pleased. The others were from Brian.

Shit. She'd forgotten to contact Brian when she got in. He was probably half crazy with worry. She smiled at the thought of him pacing the floor. He was worse than a mother. But he was just the kind of friend that she needed when she moved to San Antonio. She needed to call him. But she really wasn't ready to deal with the questions that she knew would follow. He would pick up on her mood and within minutes she's be spilling her guts. She wanted to hold on to her shame for just a little while before she told him everything.

He'd been her rock for the last five years. Her shoulder to cry on and her keeper of secrets. Brian Clark, knew everything about her. Things that even Phoenix didn't know. He was a steel vault. Things went in but they never came out and there was never any judgment. He was her Superman. Always coming to her rescue. But tonight she just wanted to be left alone.

She shot him a quick text telling him that she was sorry for not letting him know she'd made it and that they would talk tomorrow. His immediate response had her laughing out loud. Other than the fact that he'd threatened to kick her ass up a tree for not calling him. He was glad that she'd made it home safely and they would definitely talk on tomorrow.

Grabbing her purse, she exited the car and walked into the house. She was glad that Phoenix was gone with Akino. She didn't want to spend her night eating ice cream and trying to distract her sister from prying.

She entered her room and quickly undress. She found a old t-shirt and pair of shorts in her drawer and slipped them on and climbed into bed. But sleep wouldn't come easy. Her mind kept picturing him and no matter how much she protested, her body still wanted him.

Their summer together had been everything. A fairy tale that she'd believed was real. That he was the one.

She'd met Jace one night when Paul finally convinced her to come hear him play at one of the local Jazz clubs. They were still trying to make a name for themselves back then. Taking gigs all over town. But everywhere they went people fell in love with them and their smooth sound.

For weeks Paul had been telling her that he had someone he wanted her to meet and for weeks she'd been telling him that she didn't want to be a hook up. That when she was ready she'd find her own guy. But all of that fell on deaf ears.

She could remember it like it was yesterday. Jace's cocky smile as he introduced himself, then taking her hand to pull her up on the dance floor. He didn't bother to ask her if she wanted to dance, he must have known that she would shoot him down. He just took her in his arms and held her like his life depended on it. But oddly enough, the feeling was mutual. Their connection was instant. She was just as drawn to him as he was to her. From that moment, until the day she left town, they were inseparable, never spending more than a couple hours away from each other. They'd shared, dreamed and made plans for the future. She'd told him what she really wanted to do with her life, shared with him the kind of person that she really wanted to be. He'd promised to take care of her heart and her.

She'd given her heart and her virginity to the one and only man she had ever loved and in return he'd given her a load of lies. The only promise that he had managed to keep was naming his club after her and she was sure that his wife had no idea why he chose that name because surely it would have been named something different.

All of that was water under the bridge. She'd managed to move past the hurt, well maybe not move past it, but she kept it buried deep enough that it only brought her to tears every once in a while whenever she thought about all that she'd lost.

She let a single tear fall from her eye. She'd cried enough over the years.

 

***

 

Jace paced his office floor back and forth. He couldn't wait until he could lock up and get the hell out of there. He needed to talk to Breezy. Paul was pissed at him and refused to give him her number and Phoenix would probably kick his ass and cast a spell on him if he dared to knock on her door at three o'clock in the morning. He was screwed.

He couldn't get the image, of the hurt he saw on her face, out of his mind. It was the same look he saw the day she walked out of his life. He couldn't understand it then. Or maybe he didn't want to understand it then. He was too upset that she'd just walked away from everything that they had. She didn't give him a chance to explain himself. She just disappeared, which lead him to believe that she never planned on staying with him anyway.

He'd hated her for that. He'd hated her for not believing in him. And he'd hated himself for not doing enough to get her back. She'd walked out and he'd virtually let her go. Yeah, he looked. He questioned everybody under the sun and even contemplated hiring a private investigator to find her and bring her back to him. But then his anger would get the better of him and he'd start back down a destructive path. Then throw a pregnant Sara in the mix and it was utter chaos.

The mistakes from his past were once again threatening his future. But he wouldn't allow it to happen.

Tomorrow he was going to find her and this time he wouldn't be deterred. No one was going to stop him. Not Sara, Paul, Phoenix, not ever Breezy herself was going to stand in the way of him claiming what was rightfully his. And Breezy was his. Always had been and always would be.     

End Notes:

Thanks for reading. Please stick with me as we learn more about Breezy and Jace.

Chapter 6 by Yevette Linn

Chapter 6

 

Breezy woke to smell of coffee, pancakes and the low hum of voices. Voices meant that Akio was here, so she'd have to get dressed. There'd be no lounging around in her pj's. What good did it do to be home if she couldn't be comfortable? She shook her head. But she liked Akio. He was a sweetheart and he adored her sister, which was all that really mattered, even if it was cramping her Saturday morning routine.

She looked over at the alarm clock and had to do a double take. Screw her morning routine, it was nearly one o'clock in the afternoon. "Shit!"

She quickly scrambled out of bed and hopped in the shower. She hadn't slept past seven in the morning in her life. She was up with the chickens daily. There was always something to do. Even if it had to be done while she was in her pajamas. She didn't do late. She was punctual. The first to arrive and the last to leave. She could sleep when she was dead.

That's how she'd become the Sales and Marketing Executive for The Noah Daniel Group in less than three years. She was driven, determined and she didn't take shit from anyone. Not even Noah Daniel. She was a shark and she knew it. She and her team made their goals every month and the bonus' flowed like water. Failure was never an option for her. She'd been hired to do a job and whether she liked it or not, she delivered. But today she was off her game.

One night in Jace's presence had knocked her for a loop. She'd withdrawn and fallen back into a state of self preservation. She would admit that he'd gotten the better of her last night but it would never happen again. The encounter with his wife was just the kick in the ass that she needed.

When Breezy stepped from her bedroom in a yellow Maxi dress, it was a statement of her mood. Today was going to be a wonderful day. And she was going to do everything in her power to ensure it. Besides she had a wedding to help plan.

 

Phoenix was going to have a fit that she had slept through breakfast but that wouldn't deter her either. Even if she had to stuff ice cream down her throat all day, they were going to have a good day.

Breezy was brought up short by the sight of Paul sitting at her kitchen table with Akio and her sister. He stood upon seeing her and smiled brightly. "Good morning sunshine. Or should I say good afternoon." He said as he looked down at his watch.

"It's definitely afternoon. What are you doing here?"

"Having Phoenix's wonderful pancakes. I saved you a few." He pointed to a short stack sitting on the stove. "It was hard. These use to be my favorite."

She couldn't help but smile. He was deflecting but that was right up her alley. If he could pretend then so could she. She knew that he was here to check up on her after last night and she loved him even more for it. Phoenix, on the other hand, didn't look all that pleased with her tardiness. But she didn't really care. She was hungry and the few pancakes that Paul had left her, were calling her name.

She turned her attention to Akio, who was clearly amused by the whole situation. He was such a cutie. Akio Tran, he had all the swag of a Jet Li, with the smile of a Jackie Chan. She could see why her sister had fallen head over hill for him. "Akio, I see you've met Paul. Sorry I wasn't up to do the introductions myself but I had a really trying day yesterday." She smiled over at Phoenix who narrowed her eyes on her.

"It's okay." He nodded, picked up his news paper and left the room.

"So, what have you three been talking about?"

"You." Phoenix chimed in.

"What about me?" Breezy asked around a mouth full of pancakes.

"I heard that you ran into Jace last night at the club."

Breezy nearly choked on her food and began coughing. Paul ran around the table to her rescue and began patting her on the back. He offered her a drink of water, which she readily took. When she had caught her breath she looked at Paul who as squatting beside her. "You told?"

"Don't look at me like that. I had to tell her something or she wouldn't let me in. Plus she threatened not to feed me. What was a brother to do?" he looked down sheepishly.

He was so hard to resist when he was acting silly.

"You could have had my back." She pushed him on the shoulder.

He shrugged as he stood. "Besides, it's your sister."

She looked over at Phoenix as she began to speak. "I heard that Sara showed up and caused a scene."

Breezy shook her head. "It's not her fault. She shouldn't have to make an appointment to see her husband and then when she walks in, I'm there. I could see how that could be upsetting. No wife should have to put up with that."

"They aren't married." She heard Paul say but couldn't quite comprehend.

"What do you mean, they aren't married. She said she was his wife." Breezy said in shock.

"Ex-wife. They aren't married," Paul said.

Breezy was stunned. She couldn't believe what she was hearing. "But when I asked you in the store…"

"I said that it wasn't my story to tell and it's not. I just think that you should know the truth. They haven't been married for years." Paul said as he sat back down at the table.

"Years? What happened?" Breezy questioned. 

"That's what I was trying to tell you yesterday but you didn't want to talk about it." Phoenix said as she placed her hand over hers.

"But they have a child and she's pregnant again. How could he leave her like that? How could Jace be that cold?"

Paul squatted back down in front of her and took her other hand. "Baby girl, there's a lot that you don't know about and it's not for us to tell you. You're going to have to talk to Jace."

"But Paul, he named the club after me." Breezy said trying to find some understanding in Paul's eyes.

"He did what?" Phoenix yelled. "Are you serious?"

"He's done more than that," Paul whispered under his breath. "Listen Breezy, you just need to talk to him and clear the air. You need this and so does he."

"I'm not sure he wants to talk to me after the way I walked out on him last night." Breezy said. She'd seen the determined look in his eyes. She'd felt the heat in his touch. Oh, he wanted her alright, but it wasn't to talk.

"Oh, trust me, he wants to talk to you too. I'm surprised that he hasn't showed up yet. I fully expected him to be here." Paul said standing and taking his seat back at the table.

Phoenix scoffed. "He's not crazy. The last time he was here, I threatened to put a curse on him and to shrink his dick if he ever came by here again."

"Phoenix!" Breezy yelled.

"Hey it worked." Phoenix shrugged and began cleaning the kitchen.

"Oh, he's crazy alright." Paul said as he leaned back in his chair.

 

***

He was crazy!

He had to be. Jace thought to himself as he sat in his truck in front of Breezy's house.

He'd been sitting out there for the past thirty minutes debating with himself. He nearly winced when he thought about what Phoenix threatened to do to him if he dared to darken her door again. And yet here he was contemplating doing just that.

But what choice did he have?

He need to talk to her and tell her he wasn't married. He could only imagine the thoughts running though her head. She must think him the lowest of the low.

He'd had a fucked up night. He'd only gotten a few hours of restless sleep. Every time he closed his eyes all he see was the utter devastation on her beautiful face when she heard that he had a wife.

He'd spent the entire morning in the gym trying to get himself under control. Every time he had an encounter with Sara, he'd wind up in the gym in a attempt to blow off steam. If he didn't then everyone in his path suffered.

Damn Sara. She was still finding ways to ruin his life. He'd tried to do the right thing by Sara but nothing that he did was ever good enough. She wanted something  that he'd lost long ago to another.

He looked at the house and took a deep breath. It was now or never.

He knew she was there. There were three cars in the driveway. One he recognized as Paul's, the other two he didn't know and the garage door was down so he couldn't see inside to know if there were others. But it didn't matter. He was going to march right up to the door, demand that she talk to him and make her see reason. Curse or no curse he was doing this.

He stepped out of his truck and headed to the door with determined strides. He was a man for god sakes. He was just going to lay down the law. Yep, it was time that she got with the program. He was Jace Bennett. He didn't get nervous and he damn sure didn't get scared and it was high time that one Breezy Collins found out just who he was.

He knocked on the door and waited.

 "I'm not married!" He yelled when it opened.

"And I'm not interested." Stated a Asian man standing just inside the door. "Now that we've got that out of the way, what do you want?"

So much for cool and being the man. Jace was as nervous as a hooker in church and he'd just yelled at a stranger that he wasn't married. He could feel the flush creeping up his cheeks.

Jace shook his head. "I'm sorry, I'm looking for Breezy Collins. Is she here? I'm Jace Bennett."

The man laughed and extended his hand. "Akio Tran, I'm Phoenix's fiancée."

Jace laughed and accepted his hand in a warm hand shake. "Hey, I know you. You met with my caterer last week. We're doing the food for your wedding reception. Small world."

 Akio looked over his shoulder and stepped outside and silently closed the door behind him.

"That's a secret. Phoenix doesn't know who I chose. I wanted to surprise her. I heard that your restaurant was the best."

"Hey man your secrets safe with me. You made a great choice. We'll take great care of you to make you're day special. I'll handle it personally." Jace said.

The fates were smiling down on him. Just to think that he and Breezy's paths were destined to cross anyway. This was the sign that he was waiting on.

"You sure you wanna come in here?" Akio ask conspiratorially.

"I'm sure. I mean, how bad could it be?" Jace laughed, thankful to have a friend on his side since it appeared that Paul was siding with Breezy. Not that he could blame him. Things were pretty messed up last night.

"If I were you, I'd leave my balls in the truck." Akio said

"That bad?" Jace questioned.

"I've never known Phoenix to issue idle threats. But you could get lucky. Come on they're in the kitchen."

Akio opened the door and lead him through the house. He could hear their laugher and conversation as it flowed through the house. He could make out Breezy's laugh and it flowed over him, calming his soul.

"Hey guys, guess who's crazy after all?" Akio stated as they walked into the kitchen.

All eyes turned and landed squarely on him. Maybe Akio was right. This had to be what Daniel felt like because he had just walked into the lion's den.

Phoenix was the first to speak. "Jace Bennett, you have got some balls to walk into my house but don't worry, you won't have them for long." She stood and made her way to him.

Fortunately for him Akio stepped in and grabbed her before she could make good on her threat.

But it was Breezy that he was focused on. She was beautiful sitting there. She was still the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. The muted light from the club and his office didn't do her justice. Seeing her beauty as the natural sunlight poured in on her from the window was a picture of perfection.

He wanted to run his fingertips across every piece of exposed brown skin on her lush body. And he wanted to lick the parts that he knew were hidden beneath that yellow dress.

He groaned inwardly. He had to be the stupidest son of a bitch on the planet. He was actually getting a hard on in the same room as the woman who threatened to do away it.

"No disrespect, Phoenix, I just want to talk to your sister." He said never taking his eyes off Breezy.

When she licked her lips it was almost his undoing.

"It's okay Phoenix. I think that we have a lot to talk about." Breezy said standing and walking over to her sister to put a hand on her shoulder.

"Well, that's my cue." Paul said standing. "I have rounds to make. I'll see you tonight?"

"I'll be there." Breezy said

He wondered what that was about but he'd find out later.

Paul walked by him and whispered in his ear. "Sometimes in life we get second chances. Don't fuck this up." Paul slapped him hard enough on the back that it knocked him a step forward.

It was a warning that he planned on heading. If the fates were kind enough to give him a second chance then he wasn't going to mess it up. But the wariness in her eyes let him know that he was in for a uphill battle. But he was Jace Bennett and everyone knew that what JB wants JB gets.

Now he just had to convince her of that.

 

***

Breezy took a seat at the table. She might as well get comfortable. From the determined look in Jace's eyes, she was going to be there for a long time.

She watched as Phoenix walked from the room, well more like dragged by Akio. She also noticed that exchange between Jace and Paul. At least she knew that she had people in her corner.

Was she ready for this?

Knowing that he wasn't married put a whole new spin on things. At least she could let go of some of the guilt that she felt last night when she thought that she'd been kissing a married man. But that's all the thought that she could give to it. This conversation was about closure and moving on.

Last night was simply a moment of weakness with a familiar stranger and nothing more. She had a life and it didn't include Jace. It was a life that she had built on her own out of the ashes.

She watched him as he ran a nervous hand through his hair. That was something that she had rarely seen. A nervous Jace. He was always so confident, bordering on cocky.

He took a seat at the table across from her. She watched as the corded muscles in his arms flexed as he folded his arms across his broad chest. Damn the man was fine.

Her eyes slowly traveled up his body and landed of his face. He had the face of a fallen angle. In simple terms he was gorgeous. He was the quintessential bad boy. Although he was now the business man that she knew he'd always be, she could still see that other side that he tried to hide. The dominant, no holds barred side that made her inside turn to mush. He was controlled, grounded, his feet set firmly on the ground.

But something was different about him. His beautiful green eyes no longer held that same sparkle that they once had. He looked tired as if life had been hard for him. But they also showed a determination. A determination that she now shared. She wanted to get this over with as soon as possible too.

He cleared his throat and stared her in the eyes. "I'm not married."

"I know. Paul told me today." She saw him physically relax.

"I would never cheat on my wife or any woman for that matter. I never have and I never will."

"Okay." She nodded

"Listen, about last night." He sighed

"Forget about last night. We were both kind of emotional after so much time."

"That's the problem, I can't forget about it."

"It was just a kiss. No big deal." At her words, she saw fire flash in his eyes but it was gone so quickly that maybe she had imagine it.

"Kissing you is always a big deal. Please don't say that again. Your kisses mean everything to me. They always have." He nearly whispered.

"The fact that you aren't married doesn't change anything between us, Jace."

"It changes everything."

"No, it doesn't. I have a life in San Antonio, Texas. The life that I use to have here is no more. I let everything here go. I've moved on."

"Are you seeing someone?" He narrowed his eyes on her.

"I don't see where that's any of your business."  Breezy stood and moved to the counter. She needed to distance herself from his piercing gaze.

She watched him close his eyes then reopen them with an emotion that she couldn't quite read.

"You're right. It's none of my business." He stood and walked over to her. "But we use to be friends right?" He said tilting her head back so that she was forced to look him in the eye.

"Right," she said.

"Then I say let's call a truce. We won't talk anymore about the past or anything that stresses us out and let's just go back to being friends. We use to have some pretty fun times just hanging out."

Breezy smiled as she remembered some of the crazy things that the two of them did before they became a couple. "Yeah we use to have fun."

"I know you've got something planned with Paul tonight but if you could spare me a couple hours, I've got a few things that I'd really like to show you."

Oh hell no. There was no way she was going anyplace with him.

"I don't think that's a good idea. Phoenix may have something for me to do today with her wedding and all coming up."

"There's nothing!" She heard Akio yell.

"Take your time!" Phoenix giggled.

"Traitors!" Breezy yelled back at them. It was obvious that the two of them wanted to be alone.

She turned to face a smiling Jace. "I guess I'm all yours for the next few hours."

"Great. That's just the way I like it." Jace smiled down at her and a little piece of her heart melted.

End Notes:

Thanks for reading. I love you guys so much for all your encouragement and kind words. Keep the reviews coming. They truly inspire me. And as promised I will respond to each and every one. You'll never know how much it means to me.

Thanks for the Love in return.

Yevette

Chapter 7 by Yevette Linn
Author's Notes:

Sorry for the delay guys but a little thing called life stepped in the way and knocked me off my game. But I'm back and we can see what Breezy and Jace are up to now. Thanks for sticking with me and a special shout out to those that checked up on me.

Much Love to you all,

Yevette

P.S. This isn't some of my best editing but I promise as always to clean it up as I go. So bear with me.

Thanks

 

 

Chapter 7

 

Jace smiled as he helped Breezy into his truck. She was so tiny that she couldn't make the step up. He would have to call the dealership and get them to install a step for her so that she wouldn't have to struggle getting in and out of his truck.

He shook his head as he closed the door and made his way to the driver's side. He was doing it again. He was making plans to change his life for her again. He needed to get a grip.

This wasn't what he was planning when he showed up at her front door this afternoon but as he looked over at her sitting in his truck, it was pretty close to perfect. She was perfect.

With her hair pulled up into a ponytail, she looked even younger than her 27 years. From the moment he'd met the shy, twenty two year old, five years ago, he'd been floored by her natural beauty. All he wanted to do was to wrap her up and never let her go. He'd seen forever in her eyes. He still saw it. He just needed a little time to make her see it too.

"How about a little Fourplay?" He asked her.

"What?" She yelled, turning cold eyes on him.

Jace threw back his head and laughed at her expression. He leaned forward and tapped his radio. "Music Breezy. You know, the jazz group Fourplay, not foreplay." He continued to laugh. "But I can see how it sounded. My bad."

 "Not funny,  Jace Bennett." She reached over and punched him in the arm. But she was smiling so he guessed it was all good.

"Okay, okay. No Fourplay. At least not now." He hoped she picked up on his double meaning. "Ah, how about this?" He scrolled through his music.

He watched her face light up as the first few notes of smooth jazz flowed through the speakers.

"In a Sentimental Mood," she turned soft eyes on him. "I love this song. It's my favorite."

"I know. Duke Ellington and John Coltrane, two of the greatest that ever lived."

"I can't believe that you remembered."

"How could I forget? You use to force me to listen to it all the time." He smiled at the memory.

"Liar. You own all of John Coltrane's music. You know before I met Paul then  you,  I never really listened to Jazz."

"Bite your tongue woman." He playfully scolded. "Jazz is life."

"Well not in the Collins household. My parents were a little different. If the music didn't have a meaning or some sort of symbolism, then it wasn't played. You would have thought that they were at Woodstock." She shook her head. "They were only kids when it happened but you couldn't tell. Aside from Hendrix, they were probably the only other black people that would have wanted to be there. They were so weird." She laughed.

"Ms. Peterson didn't allow anything but Jazz in her house. She said that the rest of the music out there was just noise. That you had to feel jazz in your soul. She taught Paul and I everything we know eabout jazz. It was life to her so it became life to us as well."

"She was a wise woman." She smiled at him fondly. She knew how much he had loved Ms. Peterson. "Now let's get this little field trip of yours on the way. What did you want to show me?"

"Oh yeah, well, I was thinking that I could give you a tour of the city."

"A tour? I was born and raised here you know." She looked at him skeptically.

"Yes, a tour. You haven't been here for years. A lot has changed."

"Oh, really?"

"Just sit back, relax, and let me be your tour guide through the great Red Stick."

She laughed at him. "You were always such a goof. I like this truck it's really nice." She said as she looked around and rubbed her fingers across the leather. "What happened to the '69 Charger? That was such a cool car."

"I grew up."

"But you loved that car more than anything."

He looked at her and smiled. "I loved some things more." He said softly. He wasn't going to take his thoughts there. He had her here with him right now and he wanted this moment more than his next breath.

"Let's get you buckled up." He said as he reached across her to grab the seat belt. He heard her sharp inhalation as he brushed across her nipples. He quickly moved away. "Maybe you should do that."

"Yeah, I think I should." She said as she smoothly slid the seatbelt into place.

He took several deep breaths to get his emotions under control. What he wanted to do was strip her out of that dress and expose her breast to the bright sunlight and feast on the chocolate covered nipples that he knew lay beneath. He looked over at her and hit her with his mega watt panty dropping smile.

"Uh, oh. I know that smile. What on earth have I gotten myself into?" She laughed as she reached for the door.

He hit the locks on the door. "Oh, no you don't. You belong to me for the next few hours." He said as he put the truck in gear and drove off.

He spent the next hour and a half making small talk, taking her all over town and showing her every place that he could think of that had added a coat of paint or put up a new sign in the last five years. It was true some places were going through a renewal, like the area where his club was, the rest were far few and in between. But if he could judge things by the smile on her face, she seemed to be enjoying herself or at least indulging him.

"So tell me about Breezy Collins? What have you been up to these last few years?" He questioned as he briefly looked over at her.

"It's Bre."

"What?"

"Nobody calls me Breezy anymore. It's pretty hard to sit in a board room and be taken seriously with a name like Breezy. So, I shortened it. Bre Collins is a player in corporate world."

He couldn't believe what he was hearing. "But Breezy is your name. Why would you change your name just to fit into some corporate box. You can't be happy with that."

"I'm good at what I do. In fact I'm one of the best. Besides, my boss was the one who suggested I do it and I agreed. I needed a fresh start and shortening my name was the first step."

He was about to lay into her about not needing a fresh start if she would have just stayed here. But he managed to keep his mouth shut. He'd called a truce with her and he knew without a shadow of a doubt that she would cut this outing short and make his ass take her home if he reneged. He definitely didn't want that. He was really enjoying having her around.

"Hey, isn't that the way to Mrs. Peterson's house?" She asked, pulling him from his thoughts. "I'd love to take a look at that old house. Can we go?" She smiled softly at him.

He wasn't even aware that he'd driven that way. It surely wasn't his intentions. He'd been on auto pilot. But she'd asked so sweetly and he found himself nodding automatically.

His heart began to beat erratically as they drew near the house. He just couldn't get his shit together. She was damn near bouncing off the seat with excitement and he was about to pass out. Bringing her here was not a part of his plan.

"I use to love that big old house. It just needed a little TLC. Mrs. Peterson was so nice to me." He listened to her jabber on about the house and Mrs. Peterson. "I use to dream about owning one of those big old houses. She use to tell me about how she would see you walking down the street passed her house early in the morning and coming back by just before sunset."

"Yeah, she saved my life." He whispered. He wasn't sure if she'd heard him or not.

Mrs. Peterson had been his life saver. He must have been around seven years old when he started making the two mile trek from his side of the tracks to where Paul and his family lived. Her house had stood at the half way point between the two neighborhoods. He'd seen her sitting on the porch in her little rocking chair on both passes by. On the third day of his morning walk, she was standing at the edge of her driveway with a breakfast sandwich and a small carton of milk. He didn't know how she knew he was starving to death but she knew. He'd been half afraid to take it from her but her warm brown eyes and soft words let him know that she was a friend. She'd been his angel here on earth. With her honey brown complexion and halo of silver hair she looked every bit the part. Mrs. Peterson had stepped in and done what his drunk of a mother had refused to do. She'd given him a safe place. A home.

He slammed on his brakes when Breezy screamed as the house came into view. "Oh my God!" she yelled. "Don't stop. I want to get closer."

She'd scared the shit out of him. He moved his foot off the brake and allowed the truck to slowly drift to a stop in front of the house.

"Oh my God Jace! Look at it." She said turning bright smiling eyes on him. "It's perfect. It's just the way that I imagined it should be. Wow." She said in awe turning back to look at the house.

"Would you like to see it up close?" He questioned

She turned around quickly to look at him. "No. I'm not snooping around someone's house.  Are you crazy? Things like that don't turn out good. I'm fine sitting right here."

"Come on, where's your sense of adventure?"

She extended her hand to him. "Hi, my name is Breezy Collins. Have we met? I don't do adventure."

He accepted her hand, undid her seat belt and pulled her to him. "I think you do adventure quite well."

He planted a quick kiss on her lips that stunned her momentarily. Hell, it stunned him. But he refused to let her think that it was anything more than a friendly kiss between friends. Although he didn't have any female friends that he had ever kissed, he'd seen her kiss Paul in the same way several times. He wouldn't dwell on it. But his lips were still tingling from the contact.

"Let's go." He opened the door and stepped then he reached back and lifted her out of the truck. He tried to ignore his body's reaction to her as she slid down his length until her feet found purchase on the ground.

He took hold of her hand and they began walking up the long driveway.

"Wow, Jace. It's just the way I pictured it. Just like in The Notebook."

He paused and frowned. "What notebook?"

She turned shocked eyes on him. "Don't tell me that you've never seen The Notebook."

"What notebook? I don't remember you having a notebook."

She looked completely exasperated with him but he had no clue what she was talking about. He couldn't remember ever seeing a notebook.

"The Notebook is a movie. It's called The Notebook. I can't believe you've never seen it. It's only the best love story ever made."

He shook his head. "Sorry, I've never seen it. Chic flicks, really aren't my thing."

"Well that is just unacceptable. I'll have to get if for you."

"So what happens in this story that reminds you of this house." He inquired.

"Well, Alley and Noah are teenagers that are in love and one day, they go to this old house that Noah hopes to buy some day. And as they are walking around the house, Alley begins to tell him about the way she wants their house to look. Well, they break up that summer but he holds on to the dream. It takes him years, but he buys the house and transforms it into the vision that she has for it. And years later, when he finishes the house she sees it in the news paper and comes back to him. It's a beautiful love story."

He was stunned. He didn't know what to say. It was time for them to go. It truly was a mistake bringing her here. He didn't want to scare her off just yet with what he was feeling. He cleared his throat before speaking. "Sounds like a very interesting movie. Maybe one day I'll watch it."

She looked over her shoulder at him and smiled. "You'll love it. I just can't get over how wonderful this old place looks. I wonder who bought it? Maybe I'll go knock on the door and see if we can take a look on the inside."

He began to shake his head. "I don't think that's such a good idea."

"Where's your sense of adventure? Come on!"

She took off at a run up the driveway before he could stop her. "Breezy stop! Don't run." Before he could get to her he was met with her screams. "Shit!"

 

***

 

Breezy froze as she found herself surrounded by two of the biggest dogs she'd ever seen in her life. She was terrified. She shouldn't have run off.

She was too scared to turn around and see where Jace was. She didn't want to take her eyes off them. They were huge with teeth bared.

This was it. This was how it was going to end for her. Mauled to death by a pack of dogs for trespassing.

It seemed like an eternity had passed but she knew that it was only seconds before she began to hear Jace's footsteps running on the gravel drive. He was yelling something but she couldn't quite make it out.

She had to warn him to stay back. The last thing she wanted was for both of them to be attacked. He needed to go get help.

"Jace stay back! Go get some help, please!" She yelled. It wasn't until that point that she realized she was crying.

"Breezy, just stay still they won't hurt you." He yelled as he ran to her.

They won't hurt her? She was about to be lunch. Breezy was sure it wouldn't hurt after the first few bites and she passed out. But she was pretty damn sure that it would hurt.

"Butch, Sundance, stand down!" She heard him say before the two dogs backed away and sat down.

How the hell did he do that?

She turned to run when he engulfed her in his arms. "Jace!" She sobbed his name as she clung to him for dear life. She'd never been so terrified in her life. Not only was she scared for herself but she was also scared that something would happen to him.

"Shh, shh, it's alright. You're safe. They won't hurt you." He crooned softly as he rubbed her back and gently stroked her hair.

She was only momentarily comforted by his presence until she opened her eyes and notice the dogs had moved closer. She began to struggle to get out of his embrace. They still needed to get the hell out of there.

"Breezy look at me." He took her face into his hands and forced her to look at him. "Stop struggling and look at me. Not at the dogs." She was reluctant to take her eyes of them. "Look at me." He said with a little more force to his voice that something in her automatically yielded to. She finally looked up at him. "They are not going to hurt you."

"How do you know?" She questioned still trying to keep an eye on them.

"Eyes on me." He said redirecting her attention back to him. "I know they won't hurt you because they are mine. This is my house."

Breezy's legs nearly gave out on her when she heard those words. She was grateful in that instant that he was holding her up. But her mind was fighting to make sense of the situation.

This was his house!

Those were his dogs!

"This is your house?" She nearly whispered as she turned wary eyes on him.

"Yes." Was his single word reply.

"The dogs…you knew the dogs…" She nearly sobbed as she stepped out of his arms.

"They aren't vicious. They are just a first line of defense. Plus, I didn't know you would take off running toward the house. There are signs everywhere to Beware of Dogs."

She'd been so taken by the beauty of the house that she hadn't noticed at least half a dozen signs all over the place.

"It wasn't my intentions to bring you here. But when you asked, I was just going to let you see the place. But you were so excited about it and I wanted you to have a better look but that's all." He was talking so fast that she was having a hard time keeping up with what he was saying. "And then you started talking about that movie, that I swear to God that I've never seen, and I didn't want to freak you out, so I was just about to suggest that we leave when you took off running and the dogs came out. And this is where we find ourselves. Shit, I need a drink." He finally finished and ran a frustrated hand through his hair.

She took in the sincerity in his voice and the pleading for understanding in his piercing green eyes. She should be pissed that he nearly let her get eaten alive by his two dogs but she guess it was kind of her fault for running off. But he should have told her right away that this was his house. What did he think she was going to do? Stalk him? Destroy his property? What kind of person did he think she was?

Then it hit her. Maybe this was the house that he shared with Sara and his son.

But wait, they weren't married anymore. Right? But his son would still live there, at least part time. Right?

She had so many damn questions and so few answers to anything. Shit, she needed a drink too.

"Okay" she said.

"Okay, what?"

"Okay, I could use a drink too." She gave him a small smile and she saw him visibly relax.

"Would you like to come in? I have a fully stocked bar, plus I've got tea, soda, lemonade, water and juice if you want something else."

"I don't want to impose or put you out in some way." She was really feeling weird about going into a house that he and his wife shared.

"It's no problem. I'd love for you to see my home." He said excitedly.

Breezy was still a little hesitant and he must have noticed.

"What's the problem Breezy?"

She sighed, "I just feel a little weird about coming into a house that you shared with your wife."

He quickly turned hard eyes on her. "Sara never lived here. She's never stepped a foot in my home. I live her alone. In fact other than Paul, no one has ever been in my home. It's just me and those two." He said pointing to the dogs.

Crap, she'd forgotten about the dogs. She backed up further into him.

"Before we go any further, I want you to meet the two biggest, baddest, outlaws you've ever met in your life. It's okay you two. You can come and meet her." He said to the dogs.

She froze as they ran up to her.

"Breezy, I want you to meet Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid. You haven't met better friends than these two." He ruffled their heads.

She watched as the two giants snuggled up to him, vying for his attention.

"Alright fellas, that’s enough. Let's show the lady how we say hello. Butch, you go first, you know Sundance is a little shy."

She watched in total amazement as the dogs appeared to be listening to what he was saying. But more than that they understood, because Butch walked right up to her and nudged his head under her hand to pet him. And soon Sundance did the same with her other hand. She couldn't believe it. She was actually petting two of the biggest dogs known to man and they weren't trying to eat her alive.

Jace smiled down at her. "That's pretty odd. They usually speak to people upon request when I walk them but that's it. And it's a gamble if Sundance will at all. They never socialize for long with anybody.  But it appears that they like you, especially Sundance, he doesn't like anybody." He chuckled. He appeared pleased that his dogs liked her.

"This is weird because I don't do dogs."

"I'm sorry about that. Had I known you were coming I would have put them up. So are you ready for that drink?"

"Yep, lead the way."

"Alright boys go play." Butch immediately ran to the back at his command but Sundance stayed by her side. "Sundance, go play."  He said a bit more forcefully. But that only elicited a whine from the dog. Jace laughed out loud. "Fine, you can stay with her but we're going to have a long talk about this later." The dog began wagging his tail in excitement. He looked at Breezy and smiled. "It looks like you've got a new best friend. Come on lets go get that drink." He said as he led them into the house.

 

This story archived at https://www.valentchamber.com/viewstory.php?sid=2984