Despite It All by WonderingWhy
Summary:

Choi Ha-Nui is a former olympic swimmer who finds herself back home coaching the men's swimming team of a prestigious high school. She finds herself entangled in the lives of two brothers, as she tries to navigate the world as a new retiree.


Categories: Original Fiction Characters: None
Classification: None
Genre: Comedy , Drama, Family, Friendship, Romance
Story Status: Active
Pairings: None
Warnings: Adult Situations, Sexual Content , Strong Sexual Content , Teacher/Student, Work in Progress
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 29487 Read: 15790 Published: June 14 2015 Updated: July 30 2015

1. Meet the Faces... by WonderingWhy

2. Congratulations...? by WonderingWhy

3. Blinded by it all(UPDATED) by WonderingWhy

4. Searching&Searching by WonderingWhy

Meet the Faces... by WonderingWhy

The Choi Family

 

Choi Ha-Nui

 

CHN

 

-28-

 

Choi Min Ah

 

CMA

 

-33-

 

-Older Sister of Ha-Nui-

 

Choi Sung Woo

 

CSW

 

-60-

 

-Father of Min Ah and Ha-Nui-

 

Lee Hyun

 

LH

 

-34-

 

-Husband of Min Ah-

 

The Kim Family

 

Kim Kibum

 

KK

 

-31-

 

Kim Jimin

 

KJM

 

-18-

 

-Younger Brother of Kibum-

 

Park Sung Min/Kim Sung Min

 

PSM

 

-4-

 

-Son of Kibum-

 

-Nephew of Jimin-

Congratulations...? by WonderingWhy
Author's Notes:

Hyeongbu: a term used for your sister's husband/your brother in law

Noona: a term for males used towards older females

Ajosshi: an older gentleman/someone you may not know personally

Ajumma: an older woman/someone you may not know personally

-ssi: suffix used when addressing someone of equal speech/close in age in a polite manner

"Jiminie/Bumie"-ie: Casual ending added to someone's name you may have a close relationship with

     Kim Jimin raced to the hissing bus as it prepared to take off. Placing his body in between the sliding doors, he greeted the bus driver with a smile and nod, apologizing as he made his way towards the back of the bus. He met eyes with two female students who hid their faces behind their phones when he grinned their way. When he took his place, he could still see their hair flip from side to side as they tried to stare his way without being caught. Even though he felt their gazes, he didn't look up, knowing that they would turn red at the sight of being caught and stop. He figured he would let them have their little fun.

    Opening his training book bag, he pulled out a set of earphones, placing them in his ear as he searched his phone for a particular video. He liked to call this a moment of inspiration and introspection as he studied the athlete he greatly admired, making mental notes on how he can incorporate their own techniques so that he could improve his skills. Jimin was a competitive swimmer, and much of his life had been dedicated to the sport which he loved dearly. It was his final year in high school, and he was anticipating grabbing the attention of scouts from the best universities in the country so that he could secure his dream even more. Where other teammates who were also in their final year began to sit back in their current rankings, overconfident in their seniority and skills, Jimin was looking for more ways to improve his art-not just to simply maintain it. Watching one of the most talked about competitions, he shook his head in amazement as he watched his sports idol.

    "You've always been one of a kind..." When the cheering of the announcers signaled a winner, Jimin shook his head as he watched the swimmer remove their cap and goggles. The happiness and humility of the athlete showed through the small screen as they celebrated.

Choi Ha-Nui...1st place...

      With the image of the swimmer in his mind, Jimin exited out of the video. Having watched it at least a dozen times, he still felt he was able to take away something new from analyzing her. Jimin looked up quickly to see if anyone was watching him as he used his front camera to check his hair and face. At the sound of soft giggling coming from the girls up front, he cleared his throat as he put the camera away and turned on his music to tune them out. Straightening his training pants, he sat back in his seat and closed his eyes, and for the rest of the ride, the feeling of excitement and anticipation rolled through him like waves.

---

   "Ha-Nui!"

 

    Turning to the sound of the head coach, Lee Hyuk, Choi Ha-Nui raised the clipboard in her hand in greeting. She stood in black sports gear, and her whistle dangling from her neck.

    "You're still here? Let's leave together." Patting her arm, Hyuk walked alongside her as she shook her head.

    "Not tonight, I have a private lesson with Jimin." Slapping her hand against the clipboard, she narrowed her eyes. "I'm going to have to be hard on him tonight. I spoke to one of his teachers, and he's been slacking in a class."

    "Kim Jimin...that kid can swim like hell. If only he would put that much effort into his class work." Tilting his head to the side as he racked his brain, Hyuk looked to Ha-Nui with a quizzical face.

    " I always thought he was one of our smartest guys on the team?"

     Nodding her head with a deep sigh, Ha-Nui scoffed." That's the thing, he could be the one guy sitting at the top of the team academically. That seems to be the only place he proves that he too can be a lazy kid."

    "Ah, a waste of intelligence. Those guys are the worst..." Hyuk laughed.

    "You can't talk. That's the exact kind of student you were."

     "Now, how could you know that? I was well beyond you in school, I was the hardest working student in the entire school."

    Sneering her nose, Ha-Nui waved him off." Hyeongbu, you can't run from your past. Minah has told me more than you know..."

     Hyuk let out a boisterous laugh, not doubting his sister-in-law's statement. While Hyuk and Ha-Nui participated in swimming, her older sister Choi Minah was always there cheering her on. Hyuk had found her to be beyond interesting, and the feelings of love towards her bloomed early. She had been shy and reserved, but was well aware of his crush, and had been the one to initiate their relationship. While she supported his career in swimming, he supported her as she worked towards a medical degree. After many years of work and establishing herself as a pediatrician, Minah had finally agreed to marry him, and 4 years in, they were still just as in love as the first time they met.

     Checking her watch, Ha-Nui recalled Minah mentioning her excitement about a date night she and Hyuk were to have that day. Clicking her tongue, Ha-Nui stared straight ahead as she envisioned Hyuk's reaction to her next words.

   "Speaking of my sister, she told me how happy she was when you scheduled a special dinner for the two of you. She just went on and on about how great of a husband you were-"

    "Ah, shit!" Freezing, Hyuk comically fumbled with his phone as he checked his messages. He had almost forgotten the time, and saw that he never turned his ringer back on. The screen was a light with notifications from Minah.

    " Ha-Nui! Don't train the kid too hard!" He back pedaled as he headed towards the exit. Leaning against a wall, Ha-Nui sent a teasing text to her sister about not hurting her husband too much tonight.

     Glancing out the glass doors, Ha-Nui could see a familiar figure climb off a stopped bus. Walking to the doors, she stood as menacingly as possible as she watched the recognition on his face shine bright once he spotted her. With a hand on her hip, she watched as Jimin lightly jogged towards the building. Opening the door, she tapped her foot as she waited.

     "Hey, coach." Jimin held back his smile as he saw the serious glare on Ha-Nui's face. Her features were so soft, that she looked like a pouting kid. He wouldn't dare voice that, knowing how much a kick from her could hurt.

   Jimin buckled anyway as Ha-Nui gave a swift kick to the back of his leg.

   "Coach, you should be gentler with me." He whined as he rubbed the area she struck. Feigning pain, he saw that as usual, she showed no signs of concern or remorse.

   "You!" Pointing at him, she spoke in a low voice.

    "Me?" Mirroring her with an innocent expression, Jimin shook his head confused.

    "I shouldn't allow you past this door. You're not even putting in half the effort into your studies as you do swimming! Are you not a student athlete? Doesn't the student come first?" She began to rattle off.

   Jimin cringed as he knew instantly why she was scolding him. He thought back to his last few grades and reports, and he knew his teachers had had a word with her.

    "I'll take whatever punishment you have for me, coach!" Standing straight and obediently, Jimin bowed his head hoping that showing her that he was taking her seriously would alleviate whatever she had in mind for him.

    "Do you think I was born this morning? I know what I said went in one ear and out the other."

    "No, I promise you. I heard what you were saying-your words are stuck to every corner of my brain like -"

    "Stop talking! Follow me." Folding his hands before him, Jimin's boyish grin sat softly on his face as he watched her turn on her heel. Even though she had made the threat of banning him from swimming tonight, she knew she would never do that to him, and allowed him to enter under the guise of punishment.

   "Yes, coach." Jimin shifted his shoulder bag as he hurried behind her.

     Pointing towards the locker room, Ha-Nui snapped her fingers at Jimin.

    "Don't make me wait." As he jogged away, she pulled up a plastic chair, propping one leg over its arm as she waited for him to return. Once he was out of view, her expression softened as she ruffled her own hair. She played back the conversation she had with the hardnosed teacher earlier that day.

  

"Coach Choi, I would hope that you would have this student's best interest at heart. I don't care if he is a top athlete, he should be aiming to be a top student as well. The mind outlasts the body, and Kim Jimin is only putting one to use at this point. He could be my highest scorer if only he applied himself more diligently in my class room."

"I understand, I'll do everything I can to make him work harder." Bowing profusely, Ha-Nui stood before the older woman whose arms were crossed against her chest. The stern look on her face faded as she pulled out her phone.

"By the way, do you mind if we take a picture together? It would look great on our homepage." Breaking out into an eager grin, the teacher moved next to Ha-Nui. Putting on her best smile so as not to show her slight confusion and annoyance, Ha-Nui complied.

      "I looked horrible today, and now my face will be plastered all over social media..." She mumbled to herself as she observed the drills she had planned for Jimin.

     "You always look nice, Coach." Jimin stood overlooking her as she spoke to herself. Jumping to her feet out of surprise, Ha-Nui clicked her tongue at him. Pointing to the ground, she commanded him without words as he got into the position he was all too familiar with.

    With his hands braced against the ground and hips high in the air, he endured what she liked to call "thorough stretching" as his punishment.

    "Don't let your hips fall or you'll stay like that for the rest of the night."

     "Yes, Coach!" When she had first arrived at the school as an assistant coach, Ha-Nui had initially worried about the reception she would receive from both the coaching staff and swimmers. When Lee Hyuk had approached her with the job offer, she had laughed at him at first, as she imagined how everyone would react to her standing on the sidelines of the men's swimming team. Ha-Nui had never considered her talent as being good for a female swimmer, but for being good as a swimmer period. She was never cocky, but she knew to reach the greatness that she had, she needed to be the person with the most confidence in her abilities because she knew there was no better form of motivation. When commentators or reporters asked her how she felt being the "female equivalent" of male counterparts who were ruling the water at the time, she always made a point that they should be proud that they are now on her level. Sure, comments like these were perceived as arrogant and rude by many, but she also had supporters on her side who would take to the internet and forums standing by her statements, and pointing out that none of the male athletes would ever be asked questions like this during their interviews.

    Ha-Nui always made sure to rate those comments the most.

    It was only natural that she hardened herself even more before going in to apply for the position because she knew she would be grilled just as hard as when she was a swimmer herself. Ha-Nui may have been considered one of the best in the history of the sport, but that didn't mean she wasn't immune from both criticism and skepticism at every corner of her career.

 

"Damn, is this how it's going to be the entire time she is here? Was it really necessary to have another coach added on? Just what could she teach our guys that we can't?"

"Right! I think we've done pretty well so far with who we have. I just hope she doesn't become a bother."

Hyuk gave his fellow coaches a knowing look as he entered the room at the tail end of their conversation.

"You all would rather stand over here and bitch rather than go welcome our new member?" He kept his tone light as he watched the frenzy of reporters surrounding Ha-Nui. They all had been questioned early, giving their feelings and expectations for working with the young star, fresh out of competitions. He was proud of Ha-Nui, and affectionately thought of her as his own younger sister. Her eyes cut in his direction as she waited for the interview to wrap up. Giving her a thumbs up, she playful stuck out her tongue to show the exhaustion she felt from all of the attention.

"I do have to admit: all the gear her endorsers sent us was well needed." One of the coaches pointed out. Ha-Nui gave her final bows as she walked away from the reporting team. When she stopped before the rest of the coaches, their attitudes of annoyance and disdain faltered as her beauty captivated them. Hyuk could see some of them on the brink of blushing like teenagers as she apologized for the distractions.

 "It's my first day here, and I haven't had a real chance to meet all of you just yet." Her genuine personality made them embarrassed about their previous bad mouthing. Without realizing it, they began to question their own actions, when in reality, they too were honestly happy to meet a swimmer of her caliber, ready to see how she could teach and transform others.

"No need for an apology Ha-Nui-ssi." The coaches brushed off her apologies with wide smiles as they began to strike up conversation with her.

Hyuk stood back in disbelief at their fakeness. He hoped that the coaches would be able to take her seriously, and not just think of her as a nice visual for their squad. He didn't believe that Ha-Nui's presence should be reduced to simply just that.

He was more than confident that soon they would eat their own words once she began to make moves with their team.

"Everyone," getting their attention, Hyuk began to speak." I've called in the guys for an early practice so that they can be introduced properly to our new coach. We should head on in now and jump into things."

 In unison, they all agreed and headed for the pull area. The group of boys were crowded around the large windowed entrance, having tried to catch peeks of Ha-Nui.

Kim Jimin stood close to the window, following the coaches as they made their way towards them. A senior on the team called for them all to prepare to greet them.

As they stood face to face with their coaches, they gave them a deep bow, acknowledging Ha-Nui as the new addition.

"Please take care of us!" They said with earnest. Ha-Nui bowed multiple times as she thanked them for their welcome.

"Hello. I'm Choi Ha-Nui, and I look forward to working with all of you. I already feel like we'll get along well. Let's make sure to watch out for each other."

"Yes, Coach!"

"Ahh...our children. Who raised you guys so well, huh?" Hyuk laughed as he began leading the practice, and explaining what was planned for the day. Ha-Nui stood amongst the other coaches as he spoke. She observed the boys from her position, unaware to Jimin's star struck eyes.

     Ha-Nui remembered how eagerly he had approached her after their very first practice together, bowing deeply as he begged for her to be his mentor. She had been taken aback by his request seeing as how they were just getting started. Jimin had insisted that she consider it.

 

"If I become your mentor, then that means there will be no crying, no complaining, and no backing out. Once I start something, I finish it, kid. Can you promise me that?"

 

      By the way Jimin seemed overrun by sheer joy at her words, she should have known he was a glutton for hardship. No matter how grueling and borderline ridiculous her commands were, he never hesitated to complete them.

 

"Coach-nim, once I see something I want, I go for it. There's no way I'll back out of anything once I set my mind to it."

 

   Jimin's declaration had been nothing but the truth.

    Ever since, Ha-Nui found herself passionately training him, enjoying the time and progress they had made together. Seeing her teachings manifest and refine his skills gave her great joy.

 

    "Jimin, how can you be so determined in every aspect of life, except for in the classroom? Huh? I need to you explain this to me because I just can't figure it out. Could you be so smart that you've transcended knowledge all together?"

 

     Shifting on his hands, he sighed. " I don't get the big deal, my scores aren't the lowest in my class. Doesn't that count for something?"

      "Yet they're not what they could be."

       "They're slightly above average at least. I guess I can't win at everything in life."

      "If you don't get your act together soon, then I'm going to have a lot more free time to myself after school from now on!"

     "You can fill your threats with your own threats, they're so empty." Jimin chuckled.

     "Just try me!" Pushing on the spot just behind his knee, Ha-Nui brought him to the ground. She prepared to turn up her intensity as she cocked one hip to the side.

     "You've got a lot of mouth on you tonight, let's see how well you hold up..."

---

             "You haven't left yet, director?" Kim Kibum looked up from his desk as his team manager poked his head through his office door. Making his way in, he stood before him.

           "Just finishing up some last minute things here." His body relaxed as his thoughts were grateful to be interrupted. His eyes drifted from the text message he had read over and over again in the last few days, still trying to interpret its true meaning.

     "You say last minute, but I know you well. You'll be in here for hours after everyone else is finished working. It makes sense that you're the director doesn't it?"

    "You know, each night I work overtime, I feel like I lose 5 years off of my lifespan." Twisting in his chair, he ran his hand through his hair.

    "I felt like that too once I settled into my career. Then each time my wife and I would pop out a kid, that rate increased tenfold." Looking at his watch the team leader shook his head." Like tonight, I'd rather be able to go out for some drinks and just talk shit, but I have to go pick up the two oldest from some ridiculously expensive cram school. Who knew all those years of saving up money and feeling like I had all the wealth I could ever need at the palm of my hands would disappear just like that?"

    "I've gotten a little dose of that with my younger brother. Let's just hope all of this is will be put to good use in the future when it comes time for them to take care of us as old men."

    "You should get me your brother's autograph before he makes it big. I know it's only a matter of time before it happens, I can cash in early and never worry about these school fees again." He joked.

    "I've already began to build a stash to sell online when that time comes." The two men shared a laugh before the team leader excused himself for the night. When he was left alone once again, Kibum let out a stressful sigh.

...dinner between old friends...I hope you'll consider this invitation...

     A few days ago, Kibum received a very special text message from someone of his past, Hyo Min. She had been the first woman Kibum had ever found himself enchanted with. She represented a period in time where he ventured off from the straight-laced upbringing that his parents had always enforced, she had been his first taste of youthful liberation. Closing his eyes, he thought about all the times they had shared together, reminiscing on what had been. He had been completely infatuated with her, and she with him. The kind of passion that only young people could know filled their lives, burning hot and intense in every way imaginable. For all the times they had brought each other pleasure, pain followed close behind. They had been considered complete opposites as far as compatibility went, but nevertheless they tried to stay together. The first couple of years had been filled with half-heartedness on both of their parts, and could have been considered as nothing more than blissful sex and laughter. They thought that whenever their mouths met, whenever their hands would caress the body of the one they craved, that that had meant they were deep in love. Once the façade that was desire began to fade, their fantasies of love became cracked, and eventually they began to see the faults which riddled it. What they wanted to be-hopelessly romantic-was impossible.

     They had reached a boiling point, where insults would be thrown at each other every other sentence, heated arguments that left them seething with rage and hatefulness had taken over. Both of them were beginning to find success in their respectful fields, and naturally began to drift away from one another. As a last effort to salvage the integrity of their relationship, they agreed that they had reached a point where it was best to leave things as they were, before everything became tarnished. Before they would lose the memories of all the times that they had made each other happy, all of the times that had really mattered together. Kibum had a difficult time finding a way to live without Hyo Min around, they silently cut off contact with one another-something they had promised not to do-but maybe it had been too heavy for the prideful pair. They had kept each other in their thoughts, determined to move on peacefully like they had said, to find happiness without what they had been interfering.

   They wanted to leave the past where it belonged.

   Even so, Kibum had made sure to remain visible, remain accessible to her for the day she may want to speak to an old friend.

     Leaning over his desk, Kibum stared aimlessly at the mess which decorated it. What has Hyo Min coming forth from her hiding place?

     Checking the time, he began to make his leave, and headed for the restaurant where he had made special reservations for the two of them. It had been one of her favorite places to go, and he wanted to make sure they would be able to be comfortable in a familiar setting.

    He looked at his messages, making sure he hadn't missed one from Hyo Min. He quickly sent one to Jimin, reminding him to not wait up tonight.

Hyung is meeting with an old friend tonight, so make sure you eat well before you go to sleep.

    He instructed.

---

     Kibum stuck his car keys into his pocket as he made his way into the upscale restaurant. Hyo Min had come from a family with considerable wealth, and she had always had an expensive taste. She introduced Kibum to this kind of lifestyle of luxury, which he came to appreciate. Once inside, he was greeted by the hostesses who then led him to the reserved area he had arranged. The atmosphere sent a shiver down his spine, one he mistook for anxiousness as he awaited her arrival. Taking a seat at the table, he patiently sat, waiting for her entrance.

     His neck became warm with excitement as he played out their reunion. His mind filled with how much she would have changed over the years.     

    Twenty minutes later, there she was.

    Hyo Min's slim body stood at the front of the room, capturing his attention instantly. Standing from the table, he strode towards her as she handed off her belongings to the hostess.

    Taking in her appearance, he saw that on the surface, not much had changed, but something struck out to him. She had matured most definitely.

    They both stood awkwardly as they attempted to find the right words to say. Nothing seemed right.

    "Hyo Min...It's nice to see you again." His words were cased in formalities. Long arms wrapped themselves around his neck as Hyo Min embraced him with soft laughter that whispered against his ear. Without missing a beat, his hands made their way to her waist, holding her not too soft, and not too tight.

    "What's with the formal speech Bumie? I'm sorry I've been away so long that you don't feel comfortable to speak normally to me." She pulled away, her brow furrowed slightly with a doleful gaze as she took a deep breath.

     They stood in place, not bothered by the silence as they searched within them. Could they find remnants of the passion they once had?

    Eyes fell on every plane and crevice of the other's face as they waited for some kind of reaction. When they finally met again, they laughed in amusement.

    "Still not there?" Kibum asked her.

     "Nothing." Hyo Min agreed. Releasing each other, Hyo Min placed her hand on his elbow as he led her to the table, pulling out her seat before taking his own.

     "This should have been the part where we both ran off to the seaside, throwing away our lives and never returning."

    "I wouldn't be surprised if that's was something we would have done when we were still young and foolish." Hyo Min moved a tendril of her long bobbed hair behind her ear." And I would have been the one who was down for the idea the most."

     "You could convince me to do anything back then." Kibum admitted. A waitress appeared by their sides, showing a bottle of wine before getting a nod of approval from the two.

     "You're right. I had you in the palm of my hand." Lifting the glass to her lips, Hyo Min raised her brows teasingly.

    Their conversation fell to friendly banter as the night went on. Hyo Min decided to bring up a subject she had been ashamed to admit she had avoided. When she had heard of his father's passing from mutual friends, she had debated visiting him, to show that she wanted to offer him any kind of comfort that she could. She chose not to because of shame and embarrassment that had plagued her at the time.

      So she kept her distance.

      "Bumie, during that time, I had been a bad friend to you." Kibum looked up from his plate, knowing what she was referring to. Vivid memories of wishing to see her after his father's memorial services came back to him.

    "No, it would have been a difficult thing for you to do, to show up like after what had gone down between us. Even though I would have wanted to see you, at that time it was best for the both of us."

    "I just wanted to address that. I couldn't do anything for you at all with our situation." Her shoulders fell gently.

    "When we received wreaths from our family and friends, I came across one in particular with PHM on the envelope. It wasn't hard for me to figure out who it was from. I really did appreciate seeing your own handwritten signature that day." Kibum's words of recognition relieved some of the guilt she had been feeling for missing his father's funeral.

    "I'm glad to see that you're doing so well. I know it must have been hard for you and Jimin." Hyo Min had only met his younger brother a handful of times, but Kibum had spoken of him enough to make her feel as though she knew him well.

     "We've managed well. Though some days I feel sorry towards him. I don't know what I have and haven't done right for him, but he's a kid that smiles and endures everything, so I can never tell if I've slacked off in raising him."

     Kibum had tried his hardest to give Jimin all the love that he deserved from an older brother. He had also transformed into his mother and father throughout his life, as he knew Jimin had missed out on both meaningful relationships. He was thirteen years older than him, and he had a chance to know both of his parents well. With their mother, Jimin could barely recall her face having been just a toddler when she lost her battle to stomach cancer. Kibum remembered her warmth and love, the meals she would make, and the words that only a mother can say to make any child feel loved and important were engraved deep into his memories. He had always been upset at the idea that he only got to have a mother for 16 years-an awfully short time-but that Jimin had her for even less, and didn't even get the chance to miss something he never truly had. It never helped that their father had been a hard headed man who showed love in his own special way. His love was never warm and embracing, but one that had instilled a sense of fear into both of his sons. Fear of disappointing him and his expectations he set for their own benefit. Fear of not meeting the success he wished for both of his boys, the same success that he put all of his time, money , and effort towards securing. Their father had tried remarrying twice after their mother's passing. Kibum never took to the idea of a new "mother" around the house, and had always felt protective of his mother's legacy in the family. He saw the new wives as intruders in her home, and was often cold towards them.

    The women he had chosen were never compatible to their family. The first one had been far too young in his opinion, and it showed in how she lived her life. She was clearly looking for new and exciting adventures in life, and had no true intentions of raising a teenager and a toddler. It had only taken two years for their divorce to come, and Kibum had seen the way his younger brother who had innocently began to make a connection with the woman became confused when the person he looked to as a mother figure had disappeared one day.

     He had to sit back and watch the same thing happen with his father's final wife as well. Jimin clung to her for the 6 years that she had been around. If anything, she was a decent person who tried her best to interact with the children. When their father had proven more than she could handle, she split from him, refusing to suffer like most women would in a marriage that would just be a burden to her in the long run. Kibum had taken a trip home when he learned of the news. He remembered finding his father in his study, shut off in his own little world. Jimin had been in his room, crying into his pillows alone when he found him, and he knew that nothing he could say or do in that moment to fill the void that drove him into such a rare display of anything other than happiness. Kibum always tried hard to be someone that his brother could come to, and once he realized that there would be a part of him he couldn't truly fix, he made it his goal to do whatever he could to alleviate his pain.

    "With a man like you raising him, I'm more than sure he's turned out to be a great person, Bumie." Hyo Min's breath hitched as she thought of her real reason for being there. "You are a perfect role model for him. I just know it."

    Kibum became alarmed when he saw the way her eyes teared up. He watched, anticipating for one to fall before she blinked them away.

     "What's wrong with you?" He laughed nervously, reaching out to shake her hand and bring her back to the moment. " I never knew you to be so soft."

    "Ah, well I guess I've become more sensitive over the years."

  The mood turned solemn as Hyo Min's tongue became dry. She had to do it now.

"Eomma!" Hyo Min chased after her mother as she hurried away, a small boy in tow. She had just arrived from work to visit with her son.  She couldn't count how many times she had been through this exact same scene in the last 4 years.

When she had arrived at her parent's home, she was greeted by her stoic father who refused to lift his head from his book when she asked him where her mother and son had gone.

"Where do you think?" He had asked rhetorically as he flipped a page, never breaking his concentration. As she raced out of the house, their family servant pulled her aside, telling her that it hadn't been long since Mrs. Park had once again taken the child to the same orphanage she had been for years. She told her that if she hurried she could catch her once again.

"Why, Hyo Min? Why do you insist on stopping me?" Her mother turned around enraged. She had been filled with sadness since the day Hyo Min had appeared before her pregnant. The first time she had seen her, it was already too late to suggest an emergency abortion to quickly get rid of the situation on hand. So she hit her and sobbed tears of sadness at the thought of her daughter's life being ruined by this child out of wedlock. Their society was harsh and unforgiving when It came to accepting single mothers, and she knew that by keeping the child, she would be giving up countless opportunities, along with not only her reputation, but that of her family's as well.

"Let's stop this now. You always go too far." Reaching for her son, she saw that his face was downtrodden and stained with tears.

"Sung Min, are you okay?" Bending at her knees, she held the small boy by his shoulders as he shook his head no.

"This child wasn't meant to be, and you know that." Her mother's words seared her as Sung Min began to cry out loud.

"How could you say something like this in front of a child? Aren't you tired of doing this? Don't you have any remorse for our Sung Min?"

"You're right, I am tired of doing this! I am tired of seeing the daughter I invested thousands and thousands of dollars into the best education I could give her waste everything away. I'm tired of people talking behind our backs because you've given birth to a bastard, Hyo Min!"

 "Enough!"

"I'm tired of seeing quality positions denied to you because the moment companies find out you're an unwed mother, they only see you as being a burden on the job! I'm tired hearing him cry about children who have already been taught to bully him for having no father. Yes, I do feel remorseful for that child. I'm sorry that he's going to have to bear the weight of the stigma you've gotten the both of you into. This has been a long time coming now. "

Hyo Min gritted her teeth in frustration as her mother's words ringed true. She had hoped by now that she could convince both her and her parents that she was fit to be a mother. She had decided to keep her baby thinking that she could find a way to defy the odds that would be set against her as a single mother in Korea. She was always the kind of person to try and finish any challenge put before her, unable to admit defeat. That's how she came to give birth to Sung Min, seeing him as another way to prove that anything was possible for her.

Hyo Min hadn't been ready to be a mother. There was no instinctual calling to be what Sung Min needed from her.

When she had first held him, she cried for this reason. Asking him to forgive her because she knew...she knew she didn't want motherhood in this way. Her pride is what had pushed her forward, refusing to let her parents have the chance boast about being right. She had lived with them, facing their criticism and disappointment every day. She had endured it for this long, yet she could feel her resolve beginning to crumble. She knew why her mother had made another dash to give Sung Min up for adoption. She had been offered a respectable position within her company, one that she couldn't pass up.

This was the first job she had managed to conceal the existence of her son. Her parents wanted this chance for her.

And she did too.

"I'm not giving him up." She stated firmly. Her mother cursed her as she used her purse to pummel Hyo Min's back. Pulling Sung Min into her chest she could see employees from the place her mother intended to send her child come to the door.

"You want me to die. You want me to die of heartbreak, Hyo Min. I'm your mother, I want you to have the life you deserve." She heaved." You're not helping him. You think this is the right thing to do? You think it's right to force him to grow up this way?"

"Eomma! I'm not giving him up to be adopted by strangers. I can't do that."

"Then what will you do? Huh? What will you do?" Her mother's body went limp as she had no more energy to yell.

Rubbing his head, Hyo Min thought of the only person she was willing to give Sung Min to. The only person who could make this decision easier for her to live with.

"I'm sorry, Sung Min." She whispered into his hair.

Turning her head up to her mother, she gave her a tight nod.

"I'll give him to his father."

---

 

       Ha-Nui glanced over her shoulder to see Jimin speaking animatedly with a security guard. They had finished up their training for the night, and were finally ready to leave. She smirked at the sight of the two as they shared in on a joke between them, the older man clapping Jimin on his back.

     When they approached, she thanked the guard for staying behind a little later that night to lock up.

     "I can spare my time if it means helping the nation's next star." He chuckled.

     "Ajosshi, you keep giving me too many compliments..." Bashfully, Jimin scratched his head. Saying their goodbyes, he followed Ha-Nui out into the night.

     "Do you have a ride coming tonight?"

     "No, my brother had other plans tonight, so I was just going to take the bus like I usually do."

     Looking at her phone, Ha-Nui saw that he had more than likely missed his usual bus. Not wanting him to have to wait for the next one, she offered him a ride.

     "You're hungry, aren't you? I'll buy you some meat and then take you home afterwards."

       Jimin's heart raced at the offering, staring at her with a surprised look, he fumbled with his response.

      "What?" She slapped her hand against his chest." You look like you want to refuse me." She sneered her nose up." Okay, have it your way then-"

    "No! I-I hope you're ready to empty your bank account tonight. I have the taste for steak." Jimin rushed to not lose this chance to be with Ha-Nui. He knew she would easily change her mind if he hadn't responded fast enough.

     "Of course I'd only give the best to my Jiminie." Ha-Nui reached up to his chin, lightly brushing her fingertips against it as she always did when she switched off her coach mode. At school, she was always tough on him, and showed no remorse when it came to disciplining him.

    But once they left that building, she went from being his coach, to being his noona.

    If Jimin loved her when they were just student and coach, he didn't know what words to use to describe how he felt when saw them as man and woman in times like this.

     He became lost in the thought of her as they made their way to her car. He had a plan to get his feelings across to her when the season came to an end. In his mind, receiving an offer and scholarship from his first choice school would mean he would have succeeded in putting all of her time and effort to good use.

      Then he would confidently confess to her, and ask her to be by his side, not just as his coach, but as the woman he loved.

 

 

     "Ajumma, two cokes please."  Ha-Nui called out to the restaurant owner as Jimin flipped the meat on the grill before them. They were both anxious for food as the scent wafted to their noses.

    "I'm so hungry I could eat it raw." Her mouth watered just at the thought. Jimin picked up a leaf of lettuce as he began to fill it with meat and condiments. Folding the food together, he carefully rose to his knees, reaching over the grill carefully to give it to Ha-Nui. Respectfully he had his empty hand supporting his wrist as she took the offer.

    Sitting back down, he watched as she chewed the food happily. It was quite warm in the restaurant and the light glistening of her forehead and reddened cheeks told him she could feel it too.

    "Noona, you should take off your jacket before your sweat starts dripping in the meat."He mockingly grimaced.  Rolling her eyes at him she began lift her hoodie above her head. Jimin's youthful vigor got the best of him the moment he saw the t-shirt she wore underneath inch higher and higher above her belly button. Instinctively, he moved to her side, pulling the hem of her shirt back down.

     "I think my head got bigger since this morning." When Ha-Nui freed herself from the hoodie, Jimin moved back into his original position.

     "Now that you mention it, I think it's swollen to twice its normal size."

      The messy bun she had her wavy hair held in had come undone. Scoffing at him, she tried to fix it quickly.

     "If my head has grown it's only because of the massive headaches you've been giving me lately...all you do is worry me. I'm too young for the gray hairs that show up every morning just thinking about having to deal with you." In the midst of her trash talking, her hair tie snapped just as she was finishing up her hair.

     "Karma always knows when to show up." Jimin popped the tab to their sodas as she huffed.

     ""How about we just eat now..." Ha-Nui giggled at the truth in his statement. Picking up her chopsticks, she pushed the biggest pieces of meat to his side. Choosing one, she lifted it to his lips.

   "Say ah..." Pushing it past his lips, Ha-Nui ignored his hissing.

   "Noona!" He chided her as he quickly swallowed the hot food.

    "Oh, is something wrong?" Batting her eyelashes at him, Ha-Nui knew what she had done. The rest of their meal continued on with jabs and comfortable conversation. Jimin wanted to stay like this for as long as possible.

    Out the corner of his eye, he noticed a group of men who had sent glances their way throughout their dinner. He had ignored them, imagining that they had recognized the famed athlete sitting across from him. A surge of pride ran through him knowing that he was the one sharing in her company.

    As they rubbed their stomachs heavy with food, they-or rather Ha-Nui-was approached by one of the older men.

    "Excuse me, your Choi Ha-Nui, right?" Ha-Nui held her hand to her mouth, a habit she had when she was feeling embarrassed.

    "Yes, I am."

    Jimin's expressionless face changed as he watched the group of men start a conversation with her. They talked about how much they had admired her and her career as she laughed heartily.

    "Student..."

     Jimin was telling himself to not feel jealous towards them. Of course they would recognize his noona. She was known by the whole country. Her face was definitely one that was hard to miss.

    " Excuse me, Student..."

    Yes, they were just her fans. Of course she would have fans of all kinds.

    "Hey, Jimin!" The sound of Ha-Nui's voice broke his inward monologue.

     "Do you mind taking a photo of us with Choi Ha-Nui-ssi?" Hearing the friendly suffix, Jimin could feel that his attempt to night feel slightly jealous at the obvious admiration this guy had for Ha-Nui hadn't worked. Taking the cell phone offered towards him, he watched as the group of men gathered around Ha-Nui for the group picture.

    "1...2..." He watched as the hand of the man who had first approached her was placed on her shoulder, and their heads moved closer together.

    "3." His voice was flat as quickly took the photo. Handing the phone back over. Standing to his feet, he urged Ha-Nui up with him.

    As she followed behind him, Ha-Nui stood too, politely shaking hands with the men as Jimin waited impatiently.

   They moved to the cashier, as she paid for the bill. With his hands in his pockets, Jimin bounced from foot to foot as he waited.

    He could hear the slight dismay in the voice of her fan as he pointed out that the picture had turned out blurry.

    "Ready?" Rushing her out the door, he made sure to leave before he could ask for a better picture.

     "Hey, slow down. I ate too much to move this fast."

    "It's good to walk briskly, that way you can burn off the calories even faster."

    When they had turned the corner, Jimin looked back to make sure they hadn't been followed, only then did he slow down.

     "Since when do you have fanboys asking for pictures in restaurants?"

     With a cheeky grin, Ha-Nui tilted her head up.

    "You do know that Noona is popular, right? I never want to disappoint my fans."

   "Don't you think it's too much to do that to a person while their trying to eat dinner like everyone else? It's not like we were there for a meet and greet."

    "That wasn't even anything serious, Jimin. I've had guys follow me home before just to get photographs and autographs. Hell, I don't see why they would want it that bad honestly." Tilting her head as she thought, Ha-Nui saw that Jimin wasn't amused by her words.

      "What's with that look?" She stopped as he kept his head turned." One day you might have people chasing you like that when you make it big. You're a good swimmer plus you're cute. I'm sure it will be even worse for you."

    "That doesn't interest me." He murmured.

    "You say that now but when you see a bunch of strangers show up to competitions chanting your name and waving signs you're going to eat it up. It already happens now any way. " She insisted." Just promise me you won't develop a huge ego because of attention like that. That's when I won't be able to stand you." Ha-Nui warned him.

    Ha-Nui pulled out her car keys, unaware that Jimin's footsteps had come to a halt.

    "The person I want to call my name is you, Noona. As long as I hear your voice, I don't need to hear theirs."

      Ha-Nui had a strange feeling overcome her as she looked to see the serious look on his face which had moved closer to her. His stare was unwavering as she noticed a tick in his jaw.

    "Well-well of course you'll always hear me! I am your coach. I'm the one who's always losing her mind screaming at you from the sidelines." For some reason, Ha-Nui found herself laughing nervously as she stood beneath his deep gaze.  Stunned she reached for her door handle, only to be see Jimin's hand beat her to it. Gently, his body brushed against hers as she backed up to allow him room to open the door. The hairs that laid against the back of her neck clung to her skin when she felt a soft breath against it.

     Clearing her throat she stiffened as she waved him off, not wanting to show that she had been thrown off by his actions.

     "Let's go, kid." She moved away hair that had fallen into her face as she quickly got in. She started up the car and took that brief time to herself to shake the strange feeling she had felt from Jimin.

---

       Kibum sat across from Hyo Min, stiff as she seemed to mull over the next words she had for him. She knew not to interrupt, seeing the concentration it took for her to get out what she needed to say. When he saw her lips part, he held his breath.

    He was anticipating her to reveal that she needed his help. Maybe she was in debt and came to him to ask for a loan. Surely that would make her feel uncomfortable to ask for.

    Could she be sick? She looked perfectly healthy, maybe the healthiest he had ever seen her. Were his eyes deceiving him?

    Kibum would much rather hear the former than the latter.

    "You know I've never been good at sugar coating things, right?" Kibum remained quiet as his eyes wearily watched her chest heave with a deep breath.

    "But this may be the hardest thing I've ever had to say to you. "

    "Have you gotten involved in some trouble? I can help you with anything, Hyo-Min. If there's a debt you need to pay... or could it be a medical bill? Are you sick, Hyo-Min?" His throat tightened as he anticipated her answer.

    Realizing that she was making this harder than it should have been, Hyo Min shook her head earnestly.

       "I'm not being chased by loan sharks, or dying, Kibum."She let out a self deprecating laugh.

       His sigh of relief couldn't be held back.

      "It's something completely different. When I left all of those years ago, I thought that was going to be the end. That I would be able to move on knowing that I had something good like you in my life. "

    To Kibum's ears, her words sounded like the prelude to a confession of Hyo Min realizing that she wanted to learn to love him in a way that she never could before.

    "I came to you tonight because I wanted to believe that the good thing I saw in you still existed. That I could turn to you to help me with this one last request." Wringing her hands together, she continued on." I gave birth to a child, Kibum. A son, who is in desperate need for someone to take care of him. Someone who can do for him what I can't."

     Hyo-Min's chest ached as all of the tension that had been building within her since she saw Kibum released its strong hold on her heart. She watched as his eyes widened to a ridiculous size, and his face paled.

    "What?" Dumbfounded, Kibum waited for her to say something that he could actual understand because this made no sense at all to him.

     " I've never been good at being his parent. I've always struggled to make the motherly connection everyone says happens when you look at your child for the first time. I've tried and tried to force it , but it's just never came to me. Since I couldn't care for him as a mother to a child, I cared for him as a person to a person, and I know it's not right, but it's the best I can do."

    "What the fuck are you even saying right now?" Kibum's calm demeanor vanished as he nearly turned over the table. A snarl on his face as he yelled.

      "The first time you speak to me in nearly 5 damn years and it's to tell me you-you had a child? My child?" Bewildered, Kibum held his hands to his chest as he tried to process everything.

     "I know you're angry-"

     "What else could I feel right now?" He billowed. The employees of the restaurant hid from the doorway as Kibum blew up.

    Hyo-Min fought back tears as she rose from her seat before him, bowing deeply at the waist.

    "Please raise him, I can't put him through adoption, it will only ruin him. Please let him have a chance with his own blood." Her body shook as she could feel herself losing control of her emotions. "

   Please give him a chance at a family with you." She remained in her stance as Kibum fell back in his seat, placing his head in his hands.

    "Did you leave knowing you were pregnant? Did you leave and purposely keep this from me all of this time?" Kibum could barely see straight as he asked the questions he needed answers to. " You know I would have married you, right? I would have tried to work through our problems with you." The crack in his voice was subtle as he pleaded with her to look at him.

    Standing up, Hyo Min's eyes were bloodshot red.

     "That's not what I would have wanted. Getting married wouldn't have changed anything between us, it would have only made life harder." She shook her head profusely at the idea.

    "Are you saying it's been easy the way it is now?" Mindlessly, Kibum knocked over a wine glass in his outburst.

    "I never knew I was pregnant when we broke up, and that's the honest truth Kibum." She held her hands before him as if to brace herself against his rage. "

    "When I found out I had considered an abortion to end things quickly, but-when the time came I just couldn't go through with it. I thought it was too mean to a child who had done nothing wrong in existing. I thought I could force myself to become a mother by giving birth, but I was wrong. I was so wrong."

    "Kibum, please. I don't want to ruin him anymore than I have already. The world isn't nice to children of women like me, and you know that." Her voice deepened as she hoped he would see her desperation.

     "Things could be easier for him being raised by his father than raised by a single mother. I don't want him to be judged because of me thinking I could take on the world by myself. I don't want him to open his eyes and see that I was never much of a mother to him in the first place. I want him to know that as his mother, I gave him the best chance at life by giving him to you."

    Kibum grimaced as every nerve in his body seemed to repel from overstimulation. He didn't know which emotions were appropriate to feel at the time. Anger was a given. Surprise obvious.

     He instinctively felt guilty for never knowing that he had a child in this world. Having children was something he had always known would be in his future, but never did he imagine it happening in this way. He felt both guilty and innocent in all of this. 

    "What am I supposed to do, Hyo Min?" Keeping her eyes leveled with him, she replied," Help him."

    "Him..." Disoriented, Kibum sat still in his chair." What's his name..." His voice was barely contained as he found himself shaking.

    "Park Sung Min."

Sung Min.

     Pursing his lips, he could only dangle is head.

      "This is all so sudden. I don't even know where to begin." The shrill laugh he let out was void of humor as he rubbed his forehead until it burned.

   "I don't know what this-this feeling I'm having right now is. I want to strangle you, Hyo Min. I could just--" Gritting his teeth, Kibum swallowed his violent threats.

      "I want to ..." The admission of the need to cry fell short as he held back.

     "What the hell makes you think this is something I can take on? A child, Hyo Min? Why would I want to do this?" He leaned towards her, as he listened for her to explain her own thinking.

     "I have more confidence in you than I have in myself. I can't offer much consolation right now, I know. Call me a bitch if you want to, a liar, you can say anything that you want. " Running her hands along her clothing, she smoothed herself out before calling to the hostess.

     The woman walked in on one of the most heartbreaking scenes she had ever witnessed. Everyone in the place had listened to snippets of what had gone down in the private room. She handed over Hyo Min's belongings as Kibum looked on in astonishment.

    "Wait a minute. Just what are you about to do?" Waving his hand at her, his breathing increased.

   "You tell me something as fucked up as a secret kid and then you grab your things to go?" The emotional toll this dinner had taken on Kibum was leaving him no room to adjust to the different changes he was being put through.

    "I accepted an offer with my company abroad, in Hong Kong."

     Trying to figure out what the hell her words had to do with him, he glared as he waited for her to finish.

    "My flight leaves in the morning, Kibum." Licking her lips, she avoided his eyes as the glazed over. "I've already spoken with Sung Min. I gave my goodbyes in the best way I could. " The tears she fought so hard against fell.

    "No..."

    "I don't know how much of this he understands, or if he understands it at all. I couldn't even keep myself from crying when I spoke with him." Hyo Min sobbed as Kibum broke out into hysterics.

     "What are you saying? You're leaving?" Grabbing her by the shoulders, he shook her hard looking for an answer.

   "You know what he told me when I said I couldn't look after him anymore?" Her voice was strained as her nails dug into the hands that held her shoulders. Her face was screwed into a sickening mess as she repeated his words.

"It's okay. You can't be good at everything."

     "I told him I was sorry I was taking him somewhere strange. I told him that he would be safe at his new home. And he looked at me with so much trust. I thought he would hate me, Kibum. I thought he would be the one falling apart with tears for me telling him that I wouldn't be seeing him for a long time. But he wasn't. He looked at me with those precious eyes of his and he said to me-" Hyo Min choked.

"Be happy, Eomma."

    "You took him to my home." Understanding hit him. Hyo Min nodded in response, trying her best to will her body to breath as violent spasms seized her throat.

       Kibum couldn't help but pull away from her.

       "What have you done?" He felt as if he was meeting a complete stranger for the first time. This hadn't been the way he expected their first meeting to be like after all of this time.

      "I've given you all parental rights. You can give him your name, it doesn't matter to me.I'm not looking for visitation or anything like that, I don't deserve that--I don't want that. I know you'll never want to see me after this."

     "You're saying this now. What happens when you change your mind? What happens if I don't decide to keep this child and raise him?"

     "Don't!" Wide eyed, Hyo Min glared up at him." Don't even think about giving him away to be adopted. I came to you only because I know you're a good person who takes responsibility for things even when they're hard."

    "Why? Why!" He got close to her face as he raised his voice. "Why can't I decide to give this child up too? Why are you suddenly making me the only parent of this child? Can I not do what you're doing? How the hell are you going to make this decision for me like this?"

     Biting her lips, she knew she had no real reason to combat his questions.

     "I know you, Bumie."

     "Don't you use that name." Rejecting the nickname she had given to him before, Hyo Min swallowed the lump in her throat.

     "You're going to be angry with me for a long time, I know. But I'm not afraid to leave like this. By giving Sung Min to you, I can walk away with not one shred of regret." Taking a step back, Hyo Min gave one last bow.

    "Please watch over him, Kibum." Standing to her full height, she turned on her heel, leaving the soft clack of them against the flooring behind.

    Kibum watched in amazement as she left. His legs frozen in place as he tried to go after her.

    "You can't leave like this! Hyo Min!" Snapping out of his paralysis, he went after her. It felt as though his legs didn't belong to him as he ran towards her. It was like any other dream where he found himself chasing after someone who he could never seem to reach no matter how fast he moved, our how far he reached out to them. They were completely unattainable.

    Hyo Min rushed to the entrance, making her way to her waiting driver.

     "Please, let's go." The driver had been with her family for years, had seen her grow into the woman she was. When she had instructed him to take Sung Min on a trip to his favorite restaurant and indulge him in anything that he wanted, it was bittersweet even for him.

   He had been weary of leaving the child at the front gate like she said, and had even considered climbing the gate in order to find a way to at least allow the boy inside and away from the street. It was cold out, and he already had a hard time with the thought of abandoning the child-he didn't want to leave him in the literal cold.

    When he had pulled up, he was thankful to find that the gate had not been shut properly by the last person who must have gone through it. He checked around to make sure there was no suspicious characters lurking around before bringing him to the front steps of the home he was to now call his own. He had gotten along well with the child during his time with the family. Large brown eyes looked straight into his and almost brought him to his knees. There was so much mature understanding in them that he felt like he should have been slapped for going along with this. He called to his ancestors to forgive him for participating in something as shameful as this before he gave a respectful bow to the boy. Even though he was no longer a part of the family he served, he wouldn't forget that he had once been.

      Adjusting his rearview mirror, he looked at the young woman. Her face was wrought with sadness, and he knew that in a moment like this, no words needed to be spoken.

     So he drove.

 

 

    Kibum stumbled over his feet as he tried to chase down the black car Hyo Min had rushed off in. He panted as if he had ran a marathon, placing his arms atop his head to help him breathe.

    He wanted to collapse in the middle of the road, but the honking of cars behind him and cursing drivers reminded him that he couldn't.

    "Get out the street, bastard!" One man hung from his car window as he laid on his horn. When Kibum turned around and stalked towards the car, the driver saw a look in his eyes that made him rethink a confrontation with him. A high pitched ringing was all that regiestered to himwhen he turned around and squinted to see the images that seemed to race past him a blur. As Kibum approached the passenger side window, he slapped it hard with his hands as he told the man to get out of the car. Kibum had completely thrown out any rationality, and was willing to get rid of the everything that was consuming him, even if it meant beating someone until they were numb like him.

    Speeding away, the driver fearfully left the scene. The cars behind him followed suit, with the passengers staring in awe at the man they figured had one too many drinks that night.  His entire appearance was in disarray, and he couldn't blame anyone for thinking he was anything other than a drunkard.

    Kibum tried his best in forming some kind of composure as he walked back into the restaurant. There was already someone waiting by the door as he pulled out his wallet, throwing a few large bills into their hand before exiting once again. He wasted no time in saying good bye as he headed to his home.

---

 

    Ha-Nui put her car in park as she pulled up to Jimin's home. He was unusually quiet the entire ride, and she was still baffled as to how things seemed to have soured.

    "Jimin-" When Ha-Nui began to speak, she stuttered upon seeing the deep expression that had yet to leave his face still lingering as his eyes were already boring into her own." It's the winter, so make sure you rest up and stay warm, okay? Don't go doing anything that can get you in trouble this weekend. Understood?"

    "Are you speaking to me as my coach right now?"

     "Of-of course I am. Whenever I give you advice, that's my coaching side." She looked at him puzzled.

      "Tonight, I want you to say goodbye to me like a woman does to a man." He gently requested. He was teetering along the line he said he wouldn't cross just yet. Someting had been ignited in him tonight which tempted him to forget the rules he had set.

     "A man? I don't see a man around anywhere..." As Ha-Nui looked around in exaggeration, Jimin's seriousness still remained. He had to remind himself that it was too early to be showing this side of him to her. He needed to play it off so that he didn't make her uncomfortable, and ruin the relationship he managed to build with her so far. The fact that his behavior was off putting to her was evident to him. He knew that the moment he saw the fans who had cozied up to her so easily that he had begun acting differently. He had almost made a bold move right then and there by telling them to be more mindful of the woman he loved.

   "Ah, I got it." Clapping her hands together, Ha-Nui thought she had figured out his issue. "Those guys earlier called you student...and then I've been calling you kid all day. You must have felt like you were being talked down to, right?" Jimin smiled as he saw the self-assured look on her face.

     "Let's say that." He shrugged

     Slapping him hard in the chest, Ha-Nui made him wince.

      "That's exactly it! Wow, I know you'll get to participate in the Coming of Age Day this year, but that's still far away." Going along with her assumption, Jimin slipped back into his usual attitude of silliness as he pretended to be offended.

    "I think it's a good idea to practice early."

    "Oh, get out of my car! You had me so confused with your little attitude...I didn't even know who the hell you were anymore." Clutching her hands to her chest, Ha-Nui's laughter began to die down as Jimin sighed. Reaching back to grab his bag, he felt the touch of her fingertips against his chin as she grinned from ear to ear. He was just inches away from her face, and could smell the faint scent he had come to recognize as her own. It was fresh, unmarred by perfumes or other fragrances except for her shampoo. He could have followed the pull in his body by grabbing that hand and pressing his mouth to her own, as he had imagined many times before. To wipe off that sisterly smirk she always looked at him with, and let her know that even the simplest of her touches were made it hard for him to resist the growing desire he had felt for her in this last year.

       It killed him that she had no idea what even her smallest gestures meant to him.

      Taking in a deep breath, he kept his cool.

      "Our Jiminie has grown up well." She sang. Opening the door, he climbed out.

      "Coach, I'll text you to make sure you got back home safely." His mind recounted the mentioning of her fans following her home. Pointing his finger at her, he made sure to add," and if you have a stalker, call me immediately! How could you not tell me about something like that--you have to take people like that seriously."

      "Whatever you say. I'll see you next week!" Stretching out her arm, she waved to Jimin as he shut the door. Pulling off, she could still see him in her rearview mirror as he get smaller and smaller. Bright headlights flashed in her eyes as her attention was brought back to driving. She quickly avoided hitting the oncoming car that seemed to have no intentions on slowing down as it raced around the street corner.

    "Crazy bastard," she said underneath her breath. The tinted windows and night sky made it impossible to see who had almost caused an accident.

     As quickly as it had happened, Ha-Nui forgot about her shock. Yawning, she drove herself home, happy to finally have a chance to relax.

 

     Jimin watched as his brother's car whizzed past, nearly missing Ha-Nui's.

    "What the hell is wrong with this guy?" Moving out of the way, he watched as Kibum drove through the opening gate, barely giving it enough time to finish. Following behind quickly, Jimin shouted out to him.

    "Where have you been? A date?" Kibum climbed from his parked car, walking purposefully towards the house.

    "Oh! You must be preparing for part 2! Hyung, do you need me to give you some space? Maybe some pointers while I'm at it?" Running to catch up with him, Jimin was ready to tease him more, but he came to a stop immediately.

    "Who is this?" Against the door sat a young boy dressed in a red fur lined coat. He had his knees pulled up to his chest, and chin resting upon them. His lips and cheeks looked almost bruised from the cold air as he made no effort to look at the two men standing before him.

     "What do we do? Maybe he's a run away, hyung. How did he climb the fence to get in-wait - maybe I left it open again...?" Jimin chatted away as he tried to figure out what to do with the misplaced child. Bending down, he tapped him on the shoulder.

    "Hey, kid. Did you run away from home? I don't know what happened but you can't just leave your family like this." He waved his hand before his face as he talked sternly. "They're probably looking for you right now. I'm sure you've made your point with them. It's good for a man to show his pride sometimes, but you also have to know when you've gotten your point across." The sound of soft cries wafted up to Jimin as he jumped back in surprise.

      "I made him cry." Looking to Kibum for help, he told him to do something.

      "Why are you just standing there?" Pulling out his cellphone, Jimin asked the boy if he could give him the number to his parents so that he could call and let them know where he was. When he lightly touched his back, the boy moved further away.

"Ah! What are we going to do, this kid still looks pretty young. Are kids his age even in school these days? I bet he can't even count to ten, why would he be able to remember a telephone number..."

    "Sung Min." Confused by the name Kibum called the child, Jimin looked to see that he too had stooped down to his level, softly calling out the name again.

    "Sung Min, you don't have to be afraid. You can stop crying now." It was as if his words were all he needed to hear. Slowly eyes that looked like both Kibum's and Jimin's stared back at them.

     The small boy rubbed the sleeves of his jacket against his cheeks as he sniffled.

     "What...is he your old friend?" Jimin laughed. "It's good you obviously know the kid, now let's call his parents quickly before this turns into a mistaken abduction." Jimin elbowed him, shaking his phone for emphasis.

    "Stop." Kibum lowered Jimin's phone as he stared hard at the reflection before him.

    "What do you mean? If it's not the parents, then I have to call the police to report him missing." Jimin was confused as to why this was hard for his brother to understand.

    "His parent is here."

     "So someone is on their way to get him? Hyung I have no idea what you're even saying right now." Becoming exasperated, he stood with a shrug.

     "Are you going to play deaf? Who is this kid?"

      The child's eyes moved between the two of them as Jimin waited for an explanation.

     "As of tonight, he's your nephew."

     Not falling for what he thought was a joke, Jimin shook his head. "If you can't handle alcohol, then you shouldn't drink. Do you even hear what you're saying right now? He'd have to be your son to be my nephew and-"Stopping to piece everything together, Jimin narrowed his eyes at his brother.

 

      "I'm his dad... he's my son now."

      Dropping to a crouch, Jimin sat in a daze as all three of them studied each other intently.

      From his brother's tone, it wasn't hard to tell that there was no hidden joke, no punchline behind all of this. At a loss for words, Jimin said the first thing that came to mind at the news.

 

    "Congratulations?"

Blinded by it all(UPDATED) by WonderingWhy
Author's Notes:

Ha-NuiKibum

~~~

(I had to add in their pics again because I've fallen in love with their faces)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hey y'all! Here's a new face to introduce to you guys for their cameo this chapter~

Nadia Johnson 

Nadia

 

Jagiya: Basically means honey/sweetie

Oppa: literally means older brother. It's used by females and is just simply a term of endearment. It doesn't have any romantic undertones or anything, but signifies the closeness between two people even if they aren't biological brother/sister.

        Lee Hyuk's bare back was slammed against the bedroom wall as Min Ah worked feverishly to undo the buckle on his pants. His chest was covered in her plump lips as she twirled her tongue around his taut nipples, groaning in delight as he brought her face back to his. His hand gripped the hair at the base of her head as he glided into her mouth. He could taste the faint hints of wine they had at the dinner that was cut short due to their demanding need for each other.

"Jagiya, I can't move my legs in here."

Hyun hurriedly reached beneath his wife's dress, dragging the lace underwear she donned for the night off, and throwing them haphazardly in the car. When he had arrived late to their date, she had nagged him for making her wait for so long before pulling him by the collar, telling him that she would fuck him right then and there if it hadn't been for how hungry she was.

His mind ran wild throughout their entire dinner just knowing that his wife had made such a declaration. He watched as she ate, imagining the things that they would do to each other once they got home. He put on his best charm, inwardly cheering himself on each time he was rewarded with one of her longing looks.

He had made arrangements to attend some couples painting session at a local art studio, but when Min Ah heard of his plan, she absolutely refused and demanded he pull over into the nearest parking lot. Directing him to the darkest corner they could find, she all but dragged him into the back seat, kissing him till his lips were swollen.

Min Ah flipped positions with Hyun as she lifted the skirt of her dress above his head. He didn't need to command his hands to grip the tops of her thighs holding her close to his face, or his tongue to stroke and massage the swollen lips of the sex he didn't think he could ever live without.

Min Ah threw her head back, singing with pleasure.

 

            Min Ah filled her mouth with Hyun, slowly pushing him to the back of her throat as he cursed. She had finally gotten him bare, and needed to taste him before she lost her mind. She wasn't sure what it was about today that had made it hard to concentrate on her work, but all she knew was that this moment was long awaited, and she wanted to be worked over so much that she couldn't move for the rest of the weekend.

      Pressing her flat tongue against his flesh, she concentrated on pumping and sucking him until his face contorted just the way she liked. Hyun staggered as he could feel the burn in his legs from the sensation. He thought he would topple over her, as she stripped him of any coherent thoughts.

    She controlled him with her mouth, causing him to softly thrust when she hit the right spot. Her hair bounced with every motion, drawing him closer and closer to a climax he wasn't yet ready for.

    "Min...Min Ah." He tried to sound firm, but only ended up sounding like a man begging for his life.  The vibrations that surged through her throat, and enveloped his dick as she groaned once again almost made him lose his resolve. Grabbing her face on both sides, Hyuk forced himself from her mouth. His body almost disobeyed him, but he wasn't going to let her win tonight.

      He took note of the fact that she had managed to stay clothed throughout it all and made sure to change that. He palmed her left cheek, as he ground his hard-on between her thighs. Min Ah gasped as she felt him brush against her clitoris. Her hips jerked against his, making her lift her leg to surround his waist as the muscles in her body tensed. Fighting with the zipper of her dress, Hyun lifted the fabric above her head before devouring her mouth again.

    Strong thighs wrapped around his waist as he led them to their bed. Min Ah's body was so in tune with his that she managed to slip down on his erection before they even made it to the bed. Hyuk's lean legs pushed hers out as he stroked his way to heaven.

 

 

      Min Ah could feel the beads of sweat on her chest dry as she and Hyuk lied in a tangled mess on their floor. They had moved in such a frenzy that they drove themselves off the bed, and didn't even attempt to make it back up. They had a power play: she had taken control by riding him with all intents and purposes of making him cum for her, while he in turn had her face pressed to the carpet, his hold on her hips rendering her useless as he slammed against her, grunting and-

    Min Ah had to fan herself as she became hot just thinking about it again.

    Hyuk's strong arm reached out from underneath her, pulling her into his body as he panted, trying to catch his breath. One hand laid against an exposed breast, a habit he had when they held each other after making love. It forced Min Ah to close her eyes, reveling in the comfort it gave her to feel his large warm hand there as she laced her fingers over his, pressing his hand closer.

    He could feel her heartbeat against his palm.

    "Oppa. I don't think I could ever get tired of you." Her voice was sweetened with bliss as she grinned. Hyuk squeezed the flesh he held in his hand as he kissed her jaw. He remembered how she had called him by that name even before they began dating. In private, she still used it.

     "If you keep calling me Oppa, soon I'm going to become Appa." They both burst into a giggling fit at the idea. They were enjoying their 4th year of marriage just like it was their first. When Hyun was 24, he had an extensive shoulder injury that had been the end of his swimming career. He had struggled with depression after hitting his peak at what he thought was way too soon for everything he had planned to accomplish in his swimming career. He loafed around, berating himself over all of the potential he would now have to give up. For two years, this went on, and throughout it all, Min Ah stayed by his side as his girlfriend, encouraging him to pull himself out of the dark hole he was lying in.

     He finally gathered enough courage to quit letting something he couldn't control be the reason for his dejected attitude anymore. He no longer wanted to burden Min Ah with the emotional strain it was putting on their relationship, and so he began to push his brand, contacting schools across the country looking for coaching positions.

      The day he had gotten the call from one of the highest ranked sports schools, he asked Min Ah to marry him. She had her own conditions on their engagement: he had to wait for her to achieve her goals too, so that they both could be happy together.

    And he did.

     He was more than grateful that he didn't let himself go over the fear of no longer having the chance for new medals to be placed around his neck. There had truly been more to swimming than just that, and he was able to find that out by becoming a well-known coach in his own right. If anyone were to ask him, "what more could you want from life?" he wasn't sure he would have an answer for them. He was allowing life to go the way it was supposed to, appreciating what was real in the moment.

Of course there's that...

     Lately, Min Ah and Hyun had found themselves considering the idea of having children. As he brushed his hands through her brown hair, he thought of the increasing amount of baby talk that was shared between the two of them.

    "Min Ah." He called her name. Tilting her head up, she gave him her attention. " I think that we should seriously try for that."

    "That?" She looked at him quizzically.

    Taking in a deep breath he shifted his hold, wrapping his arms around her back." A baby."

    "Hyun..." Burying her head in his chest, she knew what he was feeling. Years ago, she had been diagnosed with endometriosis, and though fertility tests revealed that her chances of conceiving were higher than she had expected, she allowed the fear of being disappointed by possibility of failed attempts to rule her mind, thinking of the worst.

         "I really do want a baby." She whispered.

         Hyun was well aware of her condition, and never pushed her on the issue, but he also knew just how much she wanted a child, and he hated how she psyched herself out just before they seriously began to try to get pregnant.

      "I think we're in a good position to be someone's parents now."

      "What if I can't get pregnant though? What if I disappoint you?" Min Ah was a pillar in just about everyone's life that she touched, and Hyun had become the one she needed the most.

    Around him she allowed herself to feel vulnerable. She would allow him to take the reins when things became too hard, and because of that she always worried about failing to show him just how much she appreciated all that he did.

     "Something like that wouldn't make me disappointed in you, and you know that." Locking eyes with her, he sighed at the doe look she gave him. "You and I share this relationship together. We bare responsibility for everything equally. Nothing we do or don't do is no more your responsibility than it is mine."

     Biting her lip, Min Ah considered his words.

     "If we do this-if we really try to have a baby-I'll need to visit with my doctor first. I need to make sure that he can give us the safe go for all of this." Making mental lists, Min Ah thought about all of the things they would need to prepare.

     "Are you certain about this?" She had never been so quick to jump at the opportunity before, and he wanted to get a clarification on just what she was saying.

    That day Min Ah had treated children as they came into her office for appointments. She met with newborns, toddlers, and school aged children, and at no point in the day did she not have the thought of being able to do this too with her own child. One patient in particular told her of how she too suffered from endometriosis, and after much unnecessary worry, her and her husband were able to give birth to the 3 year old girl she had brought before Min Ah that day.

     She was even excited to announce that she was already expecting their second child.

      After meeting her, Min Ah had to ask herself why she had been so fatalistic in her thinking. Why couldn't she have encouraged herself to have confidence?

    "I've been terrified by the thought for a long time. I just couldn't fathom getting excited for a baby and then being let down in that way, so I never wanted to try, but today it was all I could think about." She admitted.

    "That must be why you were so eager to get me home."

    "Maybe." Min Ah lightly snorted.

    "So from this moment on can I consider us as being in active baby making mode?" Min Ah rubbed her hand against his stomach as he asked her his question.

    "Hmm...yes. But! We're only really there once we get approval from my doctor."

     Min Ah shrieked as Hyun's hand clapped her ass with a sharp slap.

      "Let's run through some practice drills now. Once we walk out of that appointment, we're jumping right in to the game, so let's we've got to work out any kinks now." Effortlessly picking her up, Hyun tossed her on to the bed as she laughed. Joining her, they lost themselves in each other for the rest of the night.

                                           --

 

       Ha-Nui pulled up to the house she had called home her entire life. Making sure to grab the bag of soju she stopped by the store for, she hopped out of the car and strolled up to the door, where her father stood waiting for her.

    She had called him on the off chance that he would want to have a drink with her before the night was over. He had accepted the offer, happy to be able to meet with his daughter and enjoy her company.

    "Ha-Nui, welcome home." He greeted her. Ha-Nui could feel his love radiating towards her the closer she got. At 60 years old, Choi Sung Woo had aged with grace. His once dark hair was now replaced with a salt and pepper tone. It helped to soften and intensify his features at the same time. Ha-Nui may have been 28 years old, but that didn't stop her from taking the steps by two just to fall into her father's open arms.

    "I'm so glad you were still up when I called." Leaning back she smiled impishly." I really wanted to see you."

    "I'm old, but I can still stay up past dark." Taking the bag from her, he ushered her into the familiar place. Removing her shoes, and sliding into the house slippers that awaited her, Ha-Nui made herself at home. The first thing she did on her inspection of the house was to check his fridge.

    "Appa! Did you just get this refrigerator or something? Why is it so empty?" Sung Woo laughed as his daughter began to scorn him. He wasn't surprised by it at all.

    "Have you been eating enough rice? I don't like leaving you by yourself, you never eat proper meals if I'm not here to watch you." Going through his drawers she shook her head.

    "You're going to leave me no choice. I'll have to start coming to prepare meals for the week to make sure you eat well!"

 Sung Woo let her go on her small rampage as he gave her an occasional grunt to satisfy her. Grabbing two small glasses, he began walking towards the back patio, knowing that even though she was talking a mile a minute, she would naturally follow him outside.

    When she had finally quieted down, she sat across from her father on the wooden platform, hair blowing from the slight breeze in the night.

    Pouring his own glass before her own, Ha-Nui set it down before him, quickly raising hers to accept her own drink.

    Turning away, she downed the alcohol.

    "Appa, I need to come by more often. Not just to drink with you." When she saw that her father's glass was empty, she refilled it without missing a beat.

      "I know you've been busy lately, Ha-Nui. No need to feel guilty for that. I'm just happy to see you finding yourself again." Sung Woo remembered when it appeared that she had given in to hopelessness when she retired from competitive swimming. She had spent many nights crying to him before she made the decision, telling him that her drive had disappeared, it had started to become a mundane task for her to compete anymore.

     He knew it hadn't just been that, but also the stress of being an athlete pushed into the spotlight only those who wanted to be a celebrity craved. With that came a lot of responsibility on her part. Her life wasn't composed of simply training and competing in competitions, no. Ha-Nui had become the model of clothing brands, alcohol, sports drinks, you name it. TV show and movie producers asked for her cameos in their programs, and she had even found herself beside some of the nation's top stars, igniting music video sets in her time. Keeping up with appearances had been a major part of most of her life, and when she thought she would be able to be released from the puppet strings which bound her and live wildly, she had been slapped in the face with the fact that she had no idea how to live life in that way. As her father he was well aware of the fact she had to adjust to no longer being awarded for the things she did. It was a difficult move for anyone to learn how to live life without a standing ovation and trophy meeting you at the end of every accomplishment, when they once had the privilege to be in her position

      With a loving gaze, Ha-Nui recalled the times she had come to him like she was 5 years old again, hoping that he could wipe away all the sadness that had consumed her.

     "I must have worried you back then, didn't I?" Tucking her hands into her front pocket, she hid her face behind the hoodie.

    "You worry me now. Look at you, running around at night without a proper jacket." Standing up, Sung Woo reentered the house with the sound of Ha-Nui's objections behind him. It wasn't until he pointed out her lack of clothing did she feel her teeth chatter against each other. Before she could shiver too much, she felt the wrapping of a warm fleece around her shoulders as her father covered her with an old throw. Pulling it close to her nose, she took one deep breath, and it was as if she had inhaled her childhood all over again.

   That same blanket had been by her side after many meets keeping her warm in the stands as she watched others compete. It had comforted her on nights in her bed after she and Min Ah stayed up late watching horror movies that they knew they weren't supposed to see. Those were the kind of moments she could recall. While fainter ones had long drifted away from her memory. Tapping her glass against the wood beneath her feet, she looked up to see her father's loving eyes wandering off in a world unknown to her.

Sung Woo straightened his suit jacket as he walked across the office space, heading towards the break room in search of a refreshment. His line of sight immediately fell on a particular woman in his department. Her hair fell in soft billows surrounding her face, large brown eyes focused as she typed up important business. It was part of his everyday trip to the break room-looking at her while she was carried away in her work. Her eyebrows were always set in a serious burrow as she worked, and around the office she had easily become known has a hardnosed employee who always kept others on their toes.

He was 26, and in his prime. Hailing from South Korea, Sung Woo had been a force to reckon with at the electronics and tech giant, Sando. The economic world of the East was slowly on the rise, and Sando had caught an early wave, and began to push their company outwardly. When talks of a division opening up Stateside circled around their headquarters, Sung Woo had been personally recommended as the one to send and help get the division running and shape it to the company's standards.

Here in California, he was a long way from home, and three months in, he was starting to feel the ache of loneliness as he tried to navigate this new place. The closest acquaintances he had were expats from Korea as well who were just as new as he was.

He needed to start making moves to expand himself soon before he loses his mind.

Once he made it to his destination, Sung Woo reached for a paper cup, filling it with cool water as he brought it to his lips, downing it instantly. When he swallowed the last drop, he reached back down again to refill his cup before he found himself being moved to the side, as the young woman he had watched not too long ago took his place.

 "Sorry." He apologized immediately as he stood back, grasping the cup in one hand. He crumbled the object, looking for the trashcan as he planned an escape, the nervousness she made him feel becoming too much to handle in that moment as he was unsure of what to do around the same person who he had always wished for an opportunity like this with. Cutting his eyes to her, he hesitated with the idea of saying something more memorable to her, but before he could turn to leave, he felt a slight tug at the sleeve of his coat preventing him from running off.

The woman still tipped her water to her lips as she stared straight into his eyes. He waited as she licked her lips, moistening them before turning them up into a big smile. It was a contagious grin that spread to Sung Woo in an instant.

"Hi." She spoke, her fingers slowly dragging away from his clothes.

Chest relaxing, Sung Woo felt his mind surge.

"Hi."

--

"Baby we can do it, take the time, do it right..."

Sung Woo could feel the sweat bead down his face as he kept up with Nadia's moves on the dancefloor. It was another Friday night that they were spending together. He swayed his hips in rhythm with hers as she teasingly danced just a hairsbreadth away from him, only allowing his fingertips to kiss her waist. Her mid drift glistened under the club lights, her arms raised above her head as she gave him a smothering stare.

"I see you Woo!" Sung Woo nodded to the chagrin of one of Nadia's friends, Moe, who over the last few months had become one of his own.

He had never known a feeling like this before, and he had no intentions of living without the joy she was bringing him.

They had managed to build a friendship fast. It started with passing time on break before slowly moving to lunch. They would both stay behind at the office late, and would make sure to leave together. That was when they would have conversations about each other's lives, finding many similarities that drove their bond deeper. Nadia had begun to show him all the spots around the city where she happened to spend her time, and Sung Woo felt a deep intimacy in her sharing things that had seemed so important to her and had been her safe spaces.

In the midst of all the bodies, a man watched the couple closely, laughing in disbelief as Nadia and Sung Woo danced together with their group of friends. With a dip in his step, he slinked his way through the crowd, eyes on Nadia.

Nadia placed her arms around her date's neck when she felt the tap on her shoulder. Turning towards the man, she craned her neck to hear him over the loud music.

"I was hoping I could get a dance with you, beautiful."

With a high pitched squeal, Nadia turned her attention back to Sung Woo as she waved the man off. Pulling her closer, he raised an eyebrow at the man, waiting for him to move on.

 "I said, can I have a dance? What, you can't hear me?" Brazenly, he jerked at her hand, pulling it from Sung Woo. He quickly twisted his grip, pushing Nadia behind him, but she didn't stay there for long as she stepped back in front, officially pissed for being manhandled by the strange club goer.

"I know you see me with my man, so why are you bugging me?" Nadia was always one to go tit for tat, something that he had come to learn. He pulled her away again, a part of him feeling proud of his new title-her man.

"Your man? You mean this China Man?" He laughed wildly as he began to draw the attention of others. Moe had long been listening in to the scene, pulling his own date behind him as he stepped to their side.

"China is not the only country in Asia, you know." Keeping his cool, Sung Woo's eyes narrowed in annoyance as he spoke to the man.

"Speak English motherfucker." The crowd around them voiced their disapproval at his prejudice as he insulted Sung Woo's accented English.

"You need to take your ignorant ass on. Now!" Nadia was irate as she pushed the man by his chest. Moe pushed through more people as they began to gravitate towards them. The man grabbed her by her hands, holding them to his chest as he tried to move with her deeper into the crowd. Moe and Sung Woo both reacted instantly, pulling her away as they squared up with him. Standing at six feet tall, Sung Woo found that the heckler only had him by a couple of inches in height, but definitely outweighed him. Moe stood on a more even ground with the man with an equal frame.

"You wouldn't even know what to do with an ass like that. Why the fuck are you wasting her time?"

"You don't have to worry about her. Okay?" Sung Woo didn't back down. Maybe he couldn't get out the words that carried the best punch in English, but he wasn't ignorant to the meaning in his tone.

"Baby girl, stop fucking around with this shrimp dick motherfucker! I'll show you how that ass needs to be treated-" With all of the force he could muster up, Sung Woo sent the harasser flying with one solid punch into the other dancers.

"That's what his ass gets..."

"Shit, he's on his own..." The others around them scattered, watching the man stumble to the ground with no one offering any help.

Nadia shouted mockingly as she stood over the man.

"Now what? You're on your ass, bitch! You chose the wrong one tonight, playboy!"

Moe clapped his hand on Sung Woo's back, his mouth still wide open from witnessing the power his friend packed. Suddenly, he could see large bouncers push their way towards them and knowing that it was time to get out of there, Moe pointed in their direction and told Sung Woo,

"Grab your girl!"

Sung Woo quickly reached for Nadia who was still ranting and raving.

"Let's go!" He said into her ear with urgency. Even while he dragged her along, she never kept quiet.

"And he's Korean, you dumbass! Read a book!"

Dashing out of the club the two couples left, with their excitement fueling their rush.

 

       "What?" Interrupting his thoughts, Ha-Nui smiled softly. "Are you seeing her again?" Referring to the mother she never had a chance to really know, Ha-Nui could see tell all signs of her father reminiscing for the woman he loved in the way he gazed at her.

    "Sometimes, I can't help but to when I look at you girls." He responded, pushing his glasses further up on his nose. "Speaking of which, have you spoken with your sister?"

     Ha-Nui knew exactly what Min Ah would be up to at this time, and the thought drew a sly grin from her. "Yes, Min Ah and Hyuk have been pretty busy lately."

    The innuendo was lost on her unsuspecting father as he nodded his head, glad to hear the small update.

    "I'm going to hit her over the head for you, Appa. When's the last time she came to visit you? I know her job is taking up a lot of her time, but it wouldn't kill her to stop by and see you, would it? While, I , on the other hand..." Ha-Nui didn't have a chance to duck as she saw her father's hand heading towards her head. A solid thwart quieted her as she rubbed the now tender spot.

    "This child talks too much for her own good..." he mumbled as Ha-Nui bowed her head slightly.

     "Was thinking that maybe the three of us can have a nice dinner together..." Bashfully smirking, she tried to make a quick save as she pulled the blanket closer. Ha-Nui still hadn't gotten out of the habit of playing the younger child who tried to one up the older sibling. He figured that playfulness in her nature would never go away, and knowing there was never any true maliciousness behind it, he hoped that it wouldn't. The two sisters' relationship was built on teasing one another and support. Though they may try to complain about the other, no one else was ever allowed to bad mouth them in their presence.

    "Appa..." Moving closer, Ha-Nui laid her head against his broad shoulder, and just like that they continued talking into the night, until they both became tired and cold from the air.

                                             --

 

      Jimin eyed his brother who stood across from him in their kitchen. Placing down the bags he just brought in from outside, he saw that their young houseguest sat quietly at the dining table.

   The young boy kept his head down, avoiding eye contact, and to his surprise, Kibum did the same.

    "What are you doing over here? Go talk to him." Nudging his brother, Jimin noticed that in his hands, he held various documents. Birth certificates, recent doctor and hospital records; Hyo Min had left him with extensive lists detailing the son that now sat in his home.

    Taking the papers from his hands, Jimin placed them on the counter. "Hyung, are these really important right now?" He tried his best in encouraging him, but Jimin could see the stress which muddled his face. His head jerked towards the young boy who they both seemed to be avoiding in that moment. He sat at the table staring ahead with tear filled eyes, and a bottom lip that quivered as he tried his best not to pout. Sung Min had learned to not show too much emotion on his face. A life with his grandmother had led him to believe that with one wrong look, he would be reprimanded with a good tongue lashing.

"Eomma, can we go to the park tomorrow?" Sung Min sat beside his mother, kicking his feet as he awaited her acknowledgement. She had come home from another long day at work, and he was happy to have her around. His grandparents had been their usual dull selves that day as they entertained old friends leaving Sung Min in solitude, so when he saw his mother return home, he had been filled with excitement because now someone would be willing to actually speak with him, instead of always telling him what to do and how to do it.

Being with his grandmother and grandfather all day was no fun.

"What have I told you about asking silly questions like that?" With a hard glare, his grandmother raised her voice, causing him to shrink back from her as his smile slowly melted away.

"I wanted to see if Eomma could play with me." His voice was small as he brought his hands to his lap.

"You know better than that! She has to work extra hard because of you! She doesn't do what she does just so she can come home and waste time playing silly games." His grandmother made sure emphasize her annoyance by overreacting to the simple question, dropping her utensils loudly against her plate. Hyo Min seemed deaf to her mother's nagging as she continued to eat.

Sung Min lost his appetite.

"Sung Min," Hyo Min's voice brought his face to hers as he yearned for her to bypass her mother's interjection.

"Next time. I promise." Dejectedly, the young boy nodded his head masking his obvious disappointment.

"Tonight, you can use the tablet and play the games you like, doesn't that sound good?" Hyo Min's lack of realizing the child's sadness was proof of her shortcomings as she couldn't gauge his feelings like any mother would have. She was hoping to keep her mother from yelling at the poor boy, and to have him occupied with what she thought he enjoyed more. She was ignorant to the fact that he would have chosen her over electronics any day.

"  ‘Kay."

    Sung Min slowly looked over to where the two men stood. He remembered his mother telling him that he would get to live with the man who was his father from now on. He wasn't so sure what father even meant. He just knew he never had one. At preschool, there were a few boys who would tease him about only having a mother. At first, he always met their bullying with a simply confused look.

"What does a dad do?"

    He would ask himself, trying to understand the point behind their childish remarks. It wasn't until he started paying attention to the way the other kids would run and jump into the arms of their fathers who came to pick them up that he began to catch on to what they meant. They would push their new artwork into their hands, receiving praise as their dads lifted them up in their arms. When it was Sung Min's turn to be picked up by Driver Kang, he tried his best to imitate the displays of affection he had witnessed. He faked a smile as he ran towards the older gentleman who stood with his hands crossed professionally before him, giving the young boy a small bow with a warm smile.

"Look what I made!" He jumped enthusiastically, twisting the finger painting before the old man. Driver Kang's reaction was lackluster as he failed to give Sung Min the response that he wanted.

"I'm sure you worked hard, Sung Min." Dropping the picture along with his act, Sung Min fell back into his normal quiet self.

"Driver Kang isn't a dad. Not my dad at least." He thought to himself. At a young age, Sung Min saw things very black and white. If he had garnered the same reaction as the other children did with Driver Kang, his naivety would have convinced him that he was a dad-and could therefore be his.

But since it didn't turn out that way, he shrugged his shoulders and moved on.

Taking the lead as Driver Kang stepped aside, Sung Min headed for the awaiting car.

Some kids had dads, and Sung Min wasn't one of them.

     Kibum rubbed his hands together as he hesitantly made his way to the table with the young boy. His face was set in a firm grimace that he wasn't aware of, and couldn't seem to let go. Jimin watched with abated breath as his brother tentatively bent down towards his son. Even from that distance, he could see his hands shake with anxiety.

    "S-Sung Min?" The boy didn't stir at all. Looking over his shoulder to Jimin, his younger brother raised his hands not knowing what he wanted from him. Turning back to the boy, he gasped slightly upon seeing his brown eyes bore into his own. He froze, enveloped by the poignant stare. Kibum could see all the hurt that lied beneath the surface in the child. His throat became dry as if the heartache Sung Min was sinking in seeped through the air, desperate to be heard as the boy remained mute.

      Pulling a chair close, Kibum sat in it, leaning forward, he examined his son. He thought he was the one who was hurt, who was betrayed. He had thought that no one else was feeling anything remotely similar because of Hyo Min's lies and her choices. No, Kibum had been wrong.

     It was he who didn't understand true hurt in this situation.

     Unable to meet his eyes, Kibum clenched his own shut.

    "You're hurting, aren't you?" He trembled. A small hand held on tightly to the sleeve of his button down. Opening his eyes, Kibum saw the boy shaking as well.

     "Are you a dad?" His breath hiccupped as he failed to contain his cries.

     "I gue-Yes. I am." Rethinking his words, Kibum nodded his head.

    "Are you my dad?" Sung Min needed a straight answer. He needed to know what was what. He too wanted to feel the way the other children had. His fingers dug into the skin at Kibum's wrist.

   Lips moving without a second thought, Kibum nodded. "Yes. I am."

   Pausing in a moment of reflection, Sung Min held everyone's attention in the second it took for him to accept the admittance.

   "It hurts really bad. It hurts!"  His face turned red as his sobs increased intensely. Jumping from his chair to Kibum in one swift move, he put all his trust in what he imagined a father to be, expecting the same warm hugs he had seen at school, and he hadn't calculated not being met by one either. Sung min wasn't disappointed when it was apparent that he didn't have to force the response out of his father as his arms opened ready to crush his small body against his. As his arms tightened around the boy, Kibum was still in disbelief as his heart beat violently against his chest when he felt small hands grasp at his neck, the feelings that came to him now were foreign, yet natural. The boy broke down entirely against Kibum, his anguished tears were contagious as his face became wet with sadness too. He couldn't stifle the sobs that rocked his body. The father and son shared in their vulnerability together, a first encounter that would seal the bond they never even knew they had.

    Sung Min's being held on even tighter to Kibum when it realized that he had never felt this tug of emotion and care from anyone in his life. Not form his mother, and surely not from his grandparents.

    It took this meeting with someone who was still a stranger to him in order to cause a surge of happiness inside the boy.

    It was the first time he could truly say that he felt a parent's touch.

    If he could, he would breathe a sigh of relief so that he could bask in the feeling of true love.

    Jimin braced his hands against the counter as he remained silent throughout the exchange. Kibum rubbed his hand through the boys soft hair as he continued to absorb all the pent up emotions he had kept hidden, determined to relieve him of the heavy load.

    Pinching the bridge of his nose, Jimin's eyes began to water. Without a word, he grabbed the bags that he had brought in, moving them to an extra bedroom, careful not to disturb Kibum and Sung Min.

 

      Left alone, their cries quieted down, but their hold on one another never relinquished. The energy that moved between the two laced together, building a tight link to one another right before their eyes. It singed together, fusing with its other half, and firmly refused to be undone anytime soon.

      "I know you may be afraid of being in an unfamiliar place with new people. Strangers."

     "It's really scary." He agreed. Sung Min wasn't sure of what to do in this new situation, but he didn't want to let go just yet. He was still filled with many questions he didn't know how to ask.

    "It's scary for me too. I don't know where to begin. I don't know what I'm supposed to do for you, and I'm sorry."

    "Just do this." Sung Min's voice was muffled as he buried his face into his father's neck. With Kibum's personality, he was tactical and precise at all times-a trait he seemed to have passed on. He never made a move without having a complete understanding of any situation, and a clear cut plan to execute it. There was no way any of this should be simple. When his mind was ransacked with the news of Sung Min and Hyo Min's ultimate plan to blindside him with the child, he had no way to come at the problem. He was left trying to formulate a game plan in order to assess everything.

    Yet, those three little words soothed him.

   "Yes, let's just do this." Taking his son's advice, Kibum emptied his mind about all the worries for the time being. He knew that there would be plenty of chances for them to invade him once again.

    But for now, he would do as Sung Min said.

                                             --

 

      Ha-Nui gargled before her bathroom sink as her thumbs typed out a quick message.

Don't forget what I said tonight! Try to be a good student for once, please.

      Though he said he would be the one to contact her, Ha-Nui had not been bombarded with text after text as she had expected. In this way, at least Jimin would know she made it home without having to actually say the words he wanted her to.

    As she rinsed her mouth, she noticed that there hadn't been an instant reply, something Jimin was usually good for.

     Turning off the lights in her bathroom, Ha-Nui emerged into her quiet apartment. The sound of her feet against the hardwood floor followed her as she went in search of the packages the building night guard had held out on just for her. Of course, they had been sent to her by fans and companies who still sent their products to her, looking for endorsements.

    " This old body still has some appeal, huh?" Opening one box, she read a small card as she sifted through the array of hair products. She knew how the game went. They would send her products, and in return she was to give them a shout out on social media to draw in her fans. She wondered when they were going to realize that she was halfway there to being an old "star" soon to be forgotten as the fast moving world rallied on to the next evolving celebrity to capture their interest.

    She was now just a former athlete. To no surprise it was only a matter of time before the main public lost interest in her-they only paid her any mind every 4 years anyway-leaving just a small number of fans who still cared to send her letters. Even they would soon push her into the back of their memory once all the glory that she once was wears off and a new talented star comes through and wipes clear all the records she set that were once seen as unattainable by anyone else.

    It was the natural order of things.

   Even though it still felt fresh, Ha-Nui saw herself as slowly moving out of the mourning phase of her career, and could actually feel her accepting the happiness that she was beginning to let in to her life. During the early stages, she was always conflicted by the way she craved acknowledgement when she thought that it had been what hindered her for the longest time. While she had hated the watchful eye of the public and the social responsibility she as a single person had to uphold, when she went into retirement, she realized that she had fallen into the traps of fame and attention and like many others before her and those that would follow after her, she had no idea how to exist or function without it. She didn't know how live and think for herself without someone telling her...

Be mindful of what you do! Let's not create any anti-fans, okay?

    In a funny way, she ended up with withdrawal symptoms as she learned to drop her need of playing into what others wanted her to be, and told her to be. It was almost as if she had to recover from Stockholm syndrome, no longer looking to police herself constantly for others or accepting the criticisms and expectations that were always wound tightly around her neck.

   Pushing aside the box of products, she knew that first thing in the morning, she would take the items to a women's center to give out as she always did. If these were the fruits of her labor, she was more than happy to share them with others.

   The next thing she opened brought a smile to her face. A teddy bear with a gold medal around its neck greeted her as she pulled it from the box. Stitched on its chest, Ha-Nui read the words there out loud.

Please take care of me Mermaid Ha-Nui!

Love, Kim Ha-Na

  Tucked away in its arm was a picture of a young girl, standing in swim gear as she smiled from ear to ear at the camera.

    As she read the letter detailing how the young Ha-Na looked up to her, Ha-Nui had another reason to be okay with her accomplishments. Letters of inspiration like this always reminded her that in people like this was where her public image counted the most.

    Sure, new swimmers would come to replace her position in the spotlight, but at least Ha-Nui could be proud that for some people, she would always be the light they looked towards in hopes of becoming the best at whatever they reached for. By the looks of it, the girl in the photo couldn't have been more than 11 years old-Ha-Nui had been swimming long before she was even thought of-yet she called her a role model...

    This was what she had to teach herself to love and appreciate now.

    Though it was late, Ha-Nui knew that she wouldn't be able to sleep without beginning a letter of thanks to the young girl. With the stuffed animal and picture in tow, she went to her room, and immediately pinned the photo against her board of motivation at her desk. Placing the bear carefully on a shelf beneath it, she sat down in her seat.

   Before her was a brown envelope filled with a proposal she had been given by her manager. A publisher had reached out to them in hopes that they could convince Ha-Nui to write an autobiography. Her manager made sure to ask every week what her decision was as she sat on the proposal, never once paying it any mind, but as she held it in her hand, and thought about Ha-Na she wondered if she would be happy to read something written by her. How many other people out there still held her in high regards like this girl?

    With a sideways grin, she placed it back on the desk. Looking for special stationary, she kept glancing towards the proposal with a thoughtful look.

     In her best handwriting, she began a letter to Ha-Na. As her hand flowed, she wanted to make sure that every word she wrote conveyed the very feeling of gratefulness her gift had given her. She encouraged the girl to never let go of her dreams-something she always thought sounded cheesy coming from her mouth-and she had never meant them in a more serious fashion than now. If you had asked Ha-Nui what she had to say to others about achieving their dreams a year ago, in her severely depressed state she would have sneered her nose up and told of how dreams are just that, and they always end.

As long as it is something that makes your heart sing, and pushes you to become better, never give it up. Always hold dear what builds you as a person, what makes you happy. Allow yourself that joy, Ha-Na!

 

 

      Careful not to disturb the fresh ink, Ha-Nui lightly blew on the letter as she prepared to place it in an envelope. Smoothing her hands across it, she saw a new goal blossom before her eyes, ready to be taken on.

End Notes:

I really love your feedback! It helps to keep me going 

Searching&Searching by WonderingWhy
Author's Notes:

Hello guys! I've got another update for you, and hopefully another one is on its way. Enjoy!

 

Also, here is a new face:

Yang Kyung Won

KW

        "There you are!" Ha-Nui had just finished ordering food as her manager, Yang Kyung Won, walked into the restaurant, catching her attention.

      Jumping backwards, Ha-Nui feigned surprise as she saw Kyung Won's facial hair.

     "A face like that screaming at me in public had me scared for a moment." Eyes wide she laughed mischievously as he rubbed his chin.

     "This is the new trend for men my age. The rough look is making the girls go wild since Ropert Pattin-Patting-that western guy became a thing here." Putting his hands in his vest pockets, Kyung Won shook his hair out of his face as he chuckled.

   Raising a brow, Ha-Nui laughed incredulously as she tried to figure out who he was referencing.

    "Robert Pattinson?" Clapping her hands, she opened her mouth wide. "Ah! I got it now. That ugly guy, right? I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder then, if he's your style. Aren't you a few years late on that trend?" Kyung Won's lips faltered as he realized her insult.

    "You don't know good looking when you see it. I don't have to listen to you. True beauty is timeless." Sucking his teeth, he followed her to the table she picked out for them. Tossing her bag to the side she sat down.

    "What exactly does your future wife have to say about your look?" Kyung Won scrunched his nose as he thought of his fiancé.

    "She hates it." He said with a bright smile." But once she sees other women breaking their necks to stare at this handsome face, she'll become jealous and see that I am desired by many."

    "Let's pray that doesn't happen. I'm already looking at dresses for the wedding, I don't want to miss out on a good time." Kyung Won waved her off as he sat back on the bench. His long legs crossed as he narrowed his eyes at her.

    "Anyways, what's made you invite me out for a meal today?" Reaching into her bag, she pulled out the brown envelope. Kyung Won recognized it immediately as she tapped it before his eyes.

   "I put a little more thought into this..."

   "No way, you're going to do it then?"

   Putting her hand to halt him as he reached for the envelope, Ha-Nui closed her eyes.

    "I said I've been thinking!"

    Jerking it from her hands, he looked inside to the papers he needed her to fill out. "Bullshit. You're going to do it, aren't you?" Excitedly he hit her in the arm with the bundle of papers. "Thank you Choi Ha-Nui! You came through for me on this one. The employee from this company was a sunbae of mine, I owed him one by getting you on to this."

    "I'm always up for sale aren't I?" She said under her breath.

     "Of course! How else do you think I was able to build a savings account big enough to last me the rest of my life?" He grinned greedily, making her lips tug at the corners.

    "You're welcome." She nodded sarcastically as their food arrived.

    "What took you so long to make the decision? You were pissing me off avoiding my messages asking you to make up your mind." Digging in to his food, Kyung Won happily ate.

     Her memory of the letter from Ha-Na came to mind.

     "I had a little encouragement from a special person."

     "Special?" A piece of rice flew from Kyung Won's mouth as he spoke. Ha-Nui had spent 10 years with him as her manager, and she had become immune to anything that would have grossed anyone else out. Simply brushing the piece of food onto a napkin, she continued on.

    "Yes. Special. I may even give them a shout out in the book for pushing me."

    A devilish grin appeared on his face as he began coming up with his own ideas of this person.
    "Ha-Nui...are you dating someone? What is this...you don't think you should tell me this kind of stuff now that you went and practically dropped me?"

    Rolling her eyes, Ha-Nui didn't even entertain his words as she shook her head.

     "This could be good for you. Once we get the word out that you're writing a book, then we can hit everyone with news of athlete C being seen with unknown male X. It will be  great publicity."

    "So you want a scandal? Do I look cheap to you?"

    "Cheap? Don't be silly. Everyone must face a dating scandal in their life. You haven't had a single one, so imagine how invested people we be to figure it out." Just by looking at him, she knew he was already seeing headlines in his imagination.

    "Sorry to disappoint you, but you won't have to escort me to unmarked cars avoiding reporters as I hide behind sunglasses and a hat..." Instantly, Kyung Won's idea was thwarted." I received a letter from a fan a couple of days ago, a young girl."

    Knocking off with his joke, her manager returned to his food as he listened to her talk. He saw that she had been genuinely pleased by whatever she had read.

    "Seeing her words and imagining how happy she must have been to show me her accomplishments made me feel honored. I want her to know she's inspired me to give others advice about life the way I know it to be."

     "The kids have always had a soft spot for you." Kyung Won agreed.

      "I thought all the ones that would even know about me were already grown up by now. It was actually a shock to receive something from someone born after 2000..." She admitted.

    "You know now that you said it, I do have a lot of letters from the young kids their training with the agency. Maybe if you contacted me more I would have a chance to meet you and give them to their rightful owner."

    "Is there really that much waiting for me?" She was intrigued by how much he insinuated he was holding on to.

    "Come by and see for yourself." Considering his offer, Ha-Nui decided she could make the trip to pick the things up.

     "If I make time, you better be there when I show up, understood?"

 

    "Whatever you say. I'll make sure to tell the kiddos to keep an eye out for you then." Winking at her, Kyung Won animatedly began talking about the new athletes under his management now that she was gone. She heartily laughed at his dramatics as he described them all.

    By looking at him, you would never peg Kyung Won as being savvy with sports in any way possible. He had worked his way into the sports world, and became a well-respected manager because of how he treated his athletes, and with Ha-Nui being his claim to fame, he was always advertising the fact that he stood by her side and helped her to win some of the 11 Olympic medals she had to her name. She competed in four games-her first being at the tender age of 14 during the 2000 summer Olympics-and though Kyung Won was not there in the earlier part of her career, he had surely been an important part of her support system during her last two runs.

    They considered each other lifelong friends, and even if their professional relationship continued to dwindle down, they were confident that at any point in their lives from here on out, they could call on each other. Whether it be for help, or just to ask how their day went, they knew that the other would answer their call.

     But of course it was evident that Ha-Nui may take a while to respond-but nevertheless! 

      She would get back to him eventually.

 

--

        Kibum flipped through the pages of the notebook filled with necessary notes he had taken during the impromptu café interviews he had set up on SNS sites at the eleventh hour the day before. He was in search of a babysitter for Sung Min, it was Sunday evening, and important meetings and a future presentation kept him from calling in to work last minute in order to watch over him. Jimin would have to go to school, and with such a sudden appearance, Kibum had not exactly been in the right mind to begin maneuvering the world of child daycares and preschools for his son just yet.

     He wasn't so sure what he was to look for in the stranger he sought out to watch Sung Min, but he tried to stick to the basics: No possible predators. No possible thieves. No possible future stalkers.

     Grimacing, he realized no one he saw seemed to pass his fundamental standards.

Kibum covered his face with another napkin as his nose rebelled against the heavy perfume the woman before him wore. His mind was clouded from the strong reactions he was having because of the scent.

Blinking away the fog, his eyes focused back on the interviewee. She was dressed in a large fur coat, her breasts on full display. Her V-shaped face was one he had seen among many women in the city before, her nose sat perched on her full face, and her large eyes smiled at him intensely.

Kibum had to give his props to her surgeon, they put her together pretty well.

"Oh my!" Reaching forward, her manicured nails lightly touched his wrist. He had been gifted a watch by the company president for a big transaction he made happen earlier that year."Is this a Cartier? That's really amazing." She left her mouth open slightly, her pouty lips conveying her awe as her eyes sparkled.

"Ahem.So..." Clearing his throat, he discretely covered the watch with his sweater sleeve. It wasn't her first mention of his "wealthy" appearance since they sat down together. He had a goal of 15 minutes per interview, and he knew that now they were down to their last stretch, and he had yet to get any satisfying response from her.

Deciding to cut it short at the image of his bank account being wiped clean, he wished her well, and made sure to tell her to check her email for any updates.

Cordially he stood up along with her as she smiled provocatively.

"Mr. Kim, I'm sure we'll be seeing each other tomorrow then?" Wrapping her arms around him, the woman brought him close to her soft body.

Kibum admired her tenacity.

--

"I may not have children of my own, but my siblings have given me many nieces and nephews that I love. I gotta say, I have a way with kids. When their parents let me come and visit that is, they make a big fuss out of not teaching them to smoke or giving them a taste of alcohol young but I say, what the hell! They've gotta learn someday, right? Why not from their very own uncle?" The greasy man before him hid a beer belly behind a windbreaker jacket as it swished with his every movement.

He loudly sipped the water he held in his hand, drawing the attention of nearby tables as he raised his eyebrows to Kibum. Since he had sat down, he hadn't been able to get a single word in. The creepy grin on his face made Kibum frown with disgust.

"Sir, you do realize I specifically requested for a female applicant in the ad, right?"

"Yes! Yes, I did. I don't think you should discriminate against a potential employee based upon their gender. Men can take care of children too, you know. I love kids." When his lips parted, Kibum cringed at his yellow teeth.

"Please leave."

"But..."

"Leave!"

Standing up, the man called Kibum a crazy bastard as he waddled away. Taking a deep breath, Kibum reached for his phone as he dialed the help line of the site he had used.

"Yes? I was calling to report a suspicious user that frequents your site?"

--

    They had all been failures.

    But what could he have expected? It wasn't like he reached out to some elite babysitting service in search of someone. Now here he was the night before, and he had absolutely nothing in line for Sung Min.

     "Forget it." Slapping the notebook against his dashboard, Kibum that he was left with only one option-take Sung Min with him to work.

    He couldn't imagine a situation like this being perceived in any way but disastrous should any of his higher ups find out, but if he could just manage to get him in and up to his office with little incident, maybe it could work.

    Maybe.

 

     Walking into his home, the sound of cartoons could be heard from the living room. On the floor sat Jimin and Sung Min, both of their necks craned up towards the flat screen TV as they were so invested in the show that they didn't even notice his entrance. He watched as they mindlessly ate from a bag of chips, laughing at whatever joke had been made. Sung Min turned his head, watching Jimin as they did. Scooting closer, Sung Min leaned against his arm. When Jimin felt the weight against his body, he softly ruffled his hair.

      "I'm home."

      At the sound of his voice, Sung Min whirled around quickly. His eyes brightened even more. Hurrying to his feet, he shuffled towards his father, stopping a few feet ahead of him.

     "W-Welcome home." The little boy's voice squeaked as he hesitantly muttered the words. On the tip of his tongue lingered the word, Appa , but he was still too shy to let it escape.

    Jimin was amazed to see his brother act so awkwardly, it was a rare sight. Kibum rubbed the back of his neck as he looked around, saying hello to Sung Min once again.

     "Ah, you two looked like you were enjoying yourselves." Nodding his head towards the now abandoned TV, Kibum looked down when he felt his legs being wrapped up by Sung Min's embrace. Jimin's mouth crooked to the side as he recalled the earlier conversation he had with his nephew.

"So with dads you get to hug them when you want?" Stuffing his mouth with the salty snack he never got to indulge in often, Sung Min listened intently as Jimin answered him. He needed all the tips he could get about the things he had dreamed of doing.

"You can do a lot of things with dads. You can hug them, laugh with them, or go to them when you're sad and they'll always take care of you." He said thoughtfully. Though his own father had never been so affectionate, he knew what he would have wanted as a child, and he knew what Sung Min needed as well.

"Hyung-ah your dad-he will be a good dad for you. "After all, he had been like one to him.

Sung Min sat still, deep in thought as he considered what he was told.

"And he's really my dad? No one else's?"

Widening his eyes Jimin hoped not."Yeah, of course."

 Putting his chin in his palm, Sung Min seemed to be carefully contemplating everything. He wouldn't have to pretend like he did with driver Kang, he would never have to worry about missing out anymore.

 

He liked that idea.

"You promise?" Burrowing his brow, he pointed his finger at the older boy. Sitting up straight, Jimin placed his hand in a saluting gesture as he answered.

"I promise."

 

  Releasing him and stepping back, Sung Min's cheeks lifted as he hid a small grin. He rocked from side to side imitating his father's actions.

    "Wow," noting the similarities, Jimin headed over clapping his brother on the back.

     "How did everything go? Were you able to find someone?" Holding his thumb up for emphasis, Jimin was met with a deep sigh.

     "I'm not sure that there would be much difference between leaving him with one of the people I met today and leaving him here to fend for himself alone." Cringing, Jimin asked the one question Kibum knew he had little choice in now.

    "What are we going to do?" When Jimin looked at the situation, he didn't see it as an issue separate from himself. What one brother dealt with, the other felt too. They would be in this together. "Missing a day of school would be no problem for me-"

    "No." Dismissing the thought immediately, Kibum shook his head in disagreement.

     "Why not? It would be just one day. I don't have anything important coming up soon. You could trust me, Hyung."

   "I'm not paying all those tuition fees for you to miss a day of school."

    "What do you expect me to do when I know you need help?" The genuine expression on Jimin's face reminded Kibum of all the times when he would beg him relentlessly as a child to let him help, to let him show his manliness and prove his worth in even the minutest of situations. He knew where that need to be of use to others grew from within his little brother.

     "I've always had you by my side haven't I?" Looking down at his feet, Kibum met the two standing before him with a nod of his head, accepting the challenge before him.

     "Tomorrow, Sung Min will have to come with me. I don't feel confident in a last minute sitter for him, and I don't want to have you thinking you need to place yourself in difficult situations because I know you definitely will. You're still a kid, Jimin. Trust me, Hyung can work this out even if you don't think so."

    "How long do you plan on doing that?"

     Shrugging his shoulders, Kibum could only say," For as long as I have to."

     Taking his brother's word, Jimin tried to give him some reassurance that in no time, everything will begin to fall in place.

    "O-Okay." Clapping his hands, Jimin began to list off all of the things he hoped would happen for them." You'll take Sung Min with you, he'll have a great time, you'll find him a school to attend, he'll get the top scores in the country for the rest of his school career, and then we'll all live happily ever after."

    "Yeah, that's just what I was thinking." Facetiously, Kibum agreed.

    "What do you think Sung Min?" Leaning down to his nephew, Jimin waited for his response.

     "Can I take your tablet with me?" He cut straight to the chase.

     "Sure, why not?"

      "Then I hope tomorrow comes right now!" Sung Min's little feet moved around excitedly as he was satisfied with the promise of being in control of the device he had become fond of over the last couple of days with his new family.

      " He's already figuring out how to scheme..." Jimin said with slight amusement.

      "I feel like I'm missing something here." When Sung Min ran off to return to the living room, Jimin looked to Kibum as his features seemed to become heavy.

    "What do you mean?"

    "When I think about everything, all I can do is try to do what's right, but I have no idea what I'm doing. I still don't feel entirely here, and this is only the beginning. What do I do when I can't figure out what he needs? What happens when he's crying out and I can't relieve him of whatever he is feeling? "

       Deep down, he was still reeling from the effects of the change in course his life had taken. He had always followed the life map that had been laid out for him long ago by his father, and by habit, the same one he had kept to without diversions. Whenever he did stray, he was always shoved back into place by his dad who always told him that because of the vision he had for his son burned so brightly, that nothing in the universe could ever cast a shadow over it, blocking the path he intended for him. He had placed his hope and aspirations in his sons, and would guard it with all his might. Moths may flock to the light his father had shone over him, attracted to the brightness like mindless creatures with no way of their own without it, but he said he would always make sure to swat them away. Hyo Min was what he had considered a pesky insect. He had defended his claim in Kibum's future by being the hand to keep away whatever desire drew her to his flame.

   Wherever he was in the afterlife, Kibum knew he was experiencing death all over again when Sung Min arrived, looking for shelter in his father's warmth.

      With a crooked brow, Jimin could see the worries racing through his brother's head.

     Shaking his shoulders like a chill ran over him, Jimin sucked his teeth," Stop getting all antsy, it's contagious." Shuffling away, he went to join Sung Min once again, wanting to get away from the wave of nervousness emitting from Kibum.

     He wished that he could do just that, but until then, he would have to deal with the streak of gray hairs he was sure to have before this was over and done with.

--

      Sung Min sat quietly on the small couch of his father's personal office. Kibum's office was quite spacious, aside from his own working desk, he had a sitting area he used for relaxation or whenever a visitor happened to stop by. The floor to ceiling windows that provided a view out into the general team's space were slightly opened now, allowing him to look over the employees under his care. Sung Min paused in his drawings to watch as the adults walked by, some taking a peak to catch a glimpse of the face of the child who had swept the entire floor up in curiosity.

    Looking back towards Kibum, he watched as he flipped through paperwork, twirling a pen as he focused. His memories flashed back to watching Hyo Min do the same during her long nights after work. He had always been forbidden to bother her much whenever she sat seated in the home office, with only the bright beam of a small lamp keeping her company. There had been times he had managed to slip past his grandparents' watchful eye and hide behind the large desk watching her. On occasion, she would give him some of her attention which he always loved. Maybe it was a joke to share between the two, or a gentle rubbing of his hair before she reemerged herself into her work once more.

       Other times she would only break her pace to give her son a smile to let him know he did not go undetected. Before he knew it, his grandmother would swoop in to whisk the boy off, leaving Hyo Min to herself, and reasserting herself as a great divide between the pair.

    He still felt himself shy around his father, so even if they sat in silence, being able to turn and see that he wasn't alone was enough consolation for him.

    Kibum could feel the eyes of his little admirer when he looked up to catch Sung Min glimmering his way. The time was creeping towards noon, and he would soon have to sit through one of his many meetings for the day. He was to attend a meeting that would include the company president and members of the board as he discussed the final details of the big project he and his team had been working on. This would seal the deal on one of their largest accounts, and he knew that the president was expecting a huge profit in the outcome. The morning so far had gone without incident, aside from the confused looks of his coworkers. They all waltzed around him as they put two and two together upon seeing Sung Min hold his hand as he quickly moved his short legs to keep up with his father's pace as they walked through the huge building. When they ran into the team manager on the crowded elevator, he handled the ensuing scene the best way he could.

"Oh! Director Kim, how's it going?" When the doors of the elevator opened for the next floor, Kibum was greeted by the team leader as he boarded. The man was noticeably in a good mood for it to be so early in the morning. His loud voice rang through the small box as he caught up with Kibum.

"You look like crap, I almost feel like I should call you hyung. Or maybe samchon?" He pointed out the dark circles which rested beneath his eyes, and the almost tousled look the usually impeccable director had. With his hands in his pockets, the team leader commented that today he could regain his title as the best looking in their department. During the exchange he hadn't taken notice of the tiny body he bumped into as he shifted for newcomers to enter the elevator. He threw back a cordial ‘excuse me', but when he turned to see that those behind him shook their head letting him know that they weren't the ones he should be talking to. He saw a flash of color from the corner of his eye as Kibum bent slightly to say speak softly into Sung Min's ear. The boy's eyes traveled to the gaping team leader whose mouth open and closed as he stuttered.

"Is it some special kids' day or something?" Pointing to Sung Min, the team leader drew back when he realized within Kibum's palm laid the boy's much smaller hand. His tiny fingers grasped at his father's even tighter.

"Director Kim? Are-are you doing a favor for someone by watching their kid?" Everyone else around them tilted their heads closer as the team leader began digging at the questions they all had on the tips of their tongues. Kibum could feel their eyes all on him, when the corners of his lips lifted, he said with confidence," No. He's my son. Call it-a father and son day."

The ding of the elevator left him with a perfect exit as he left every one bewildered. By the time the team leader was able to digest Kibum's words, he missed his stop as the doors closed behind his director, leaving him staring after the two figures as they strolled away.

 

       Out the corner of his eye, Kibum caught sight of one of the newer employees. She was still known as the "runner" for the office, and while he usually tried not to push off mindless errands on her himself, today he would have to ask for just one favor.

       "One Americano, two cappuccinos, and two black coffees...." The young woman read off the list on her smart phone as she confirmed the group's orders.

      "Yuri? Can I speak with you for a moment?"

       "Oh, Director! Did you want a coffee today too?" With her fingers posed and ready to type in his request, he waved his hands before him as he declined.

      "No, actually I have a favor to ask you today." Stepping aside, he nodded his head towards his office. When they both entered, Kibum closed the door behind them. The woman's eyes fell on Sung Min who was too caught up in his drawings to notice her. She had listened in to everyone's speculation, and now here she was able to see the kid for herself.

    Clearing her throat, she turned around to find that Kibum stood with a knowing look on his face.

   "What did you need to ask me?" Expectantly, she listened closely.

    "As you can see, I have a -special guest with me today. I have a meeting with the president, so I won't be able to watch him for the next hour or so..." His words trailed off as the employee's head nodded in understanding.

      "Oh-I think I understand!" Turning to the boy, she continued." I can keep an eye on him, Director."

      Clapping his hands together softly, Kibum sighed in relief.

      "I know that this is an out of the way request-"

      "Don't worry about it. He seems like a well- behaved kid. And it's only for a little while." Turning back to him, she bowed her head slightly." I'll take care of him. Go on to your meeting, please."

    "I mean it when I say thank you, this will help me out so much today." Kibum's dimpled smile made the employee smirk. Everyone paled before the handsome director whether they wanted to admit it or not. It was something about being praised by such an accomplished and genuine person that gave them motivation to work harder

     Going to Sung Min, who was now all ears to their conversation, he saw a look of worry in the child's eyes.

    "You're leaving me." His words came with soft accusation as Kibum knelt to his level.

    "I have an important meeting to go to, and I won't be able to be by your side. But just for now."Closing a comforting hand over his knee, he pointed behind him to the employee. "She's going to watch you for the time being. You can ask her for anything that you need while I'm gone, and then when I come back, you and I can do something together. Is that okay with you?"

     Clenching the crayon in his hand, Sung Min's eyes began to water as he stared into his father's.

     "Sung Min, I promise you I won't be long-"Ready to console him, Kibum's thumb reached out to wipe away the large tear that managed to fall.

     "Don't forget about me." Sniffing, Sung Min wiped at his eyes, determined not to cry. It was his first reaction at the thought of another parent leaving him alone. Even if it was just for a meeting, his naivety told him that Kibum could easily leave him as his mother did. Trying to be a big boy, he would hold his tears and wait until his father proved him right, or proved him wrong.

    Kibum refused to leave until the sadness that creeped into the boy's eyes was gone. The alarm on his phone went off then, letting him know that he needed to be on his way. A hand rose to Sung Min's hair, it was a reddish brown that Kibum had had as a child too. Stroking it lightly, he didn't hesitate to lean forward and place a kiss on the boy's forehead. When he stood to leave, Sung Min rushed to his legs, hugging them tightly.

     "Sung Min? Are you okay?" Kibum didn't know what he would do if leaving him was going to be an issue. While the meeting was important, so was he.

     His son's small chin rested against his pants as he looked up to him with a small smile.

    "See you later." He said before letting go.

    Slightly wide eyed with surprise, Kibum grinned as he reached into his wallet, pulling out a couple of bills."Make sure this noona buys you a drink, okay?" Handing the money to the employee, he gave Sung Min one last pat on the head before making his exit.

    Left alone, Sung Min looked up to the woman who seemed a hundred feet taller than him. She wore the same pointy shoes his mother did.

    "We have to make a trip to the coffee shop, okay? Stay close by my side." With a light hand on his back, she led him out the office.

    "Hey! Don't mess up any of the orders this time! I've never met someone as forgetful as you..." A heckler called out.

    "She's watching the director's kid? Isn't that too much for her to remember?"

     "If she has to come back with only one thing, I hope it's at least the coffee."

     The employee was oblivious to the snide remarks as they left    

 

 

   Ha-Nui sat with her legs thrown over the chair she sat in. Kyung Won lounged in his office chair as he ended a phone call. She had come as she said she would to sign off on the book deal Kyung Won had brought her way. Being back at her hold agency gave her some sort of relief. It had been awhile since she had seen many of the faces that she grew up with. When she had entered, she was greeted by all the employees who were happy to see her again. Ha-Nui had been one of their favorite athletes; she brought the success along with a pleasant attitude which made working with her even better.

    "This kid has the nerve to not show his face after another drinking incident? Pissing on the streets and walking around with no pants..." Kyung Won complained out loud as he typed away at his computer." I'm starting to think that these kids live for scandals now."

      "There's nothing like the old times, huh?" She said facetiously. Ha-Nui browsed her cell phone as she ate a chocolate bar she had stolen from his stash. "You act like we weren't wild back in the day either."

    "Please, what you guys did was nothing compared to some of these kids. To me you were the angels, and they are lucifer2.0."

   "Now they sound like they know how to have a good time. Give them my number so we can get to know each other, sunbae to hoobae." She joked. Flipping around, she stretched out her body nosily.

   "Are you leaving now?" Kyung Won multitasked at his desk as he looked up to see Ha-Nui stand.

    "Yeah. I figured my work here is done." Slipping one hand into her pocket, she continued munching on the candy bar. "See you later, Hyung."

     "Later." Kyung Won gave her a big smile before frowning. "If you cared about me, you would come see me more, Ha-Nui." He wasn't at all shocked by her use of hyung. It had started out as a small joke when he first became her manager. As they grew closer, Ha-Nui opted for the more masculine name whenever she addressed Kyung Won. Many people would look bewildered at first when hearing her use it, but eventually they became used to it.

    Blowing him a kiss, Ha-Nui left as he made another call. Closing the door softly behind her, she greeted the employees one last time as she walked through the building.

     She was able to make it out unscathed by more requests for photos and autographs, already having done that when she first arrived. Her respected status remained and was highly valued by everyone within the company. She made promises to meet up for drinks with some old colleagues, and acknowledged some of the new athletes she had been keeping up with in the sports world.

     Instead of going straight to her car, Ha-Nui remembered an old coffee shop she had been fond of nearby, and with the hopes that it still remained, she went in search for it. She had enough time to spare to get something that would warm her up in the cold weather.

     "There it is..." She said. Catching the door as another customer left, Ha-Nui saw out the corner of her eye, a small boy follow in behind her. He seemed far too young to be maneuvering the streets on his own.

     "I guess he needs a break from work too..." She said under her breath. Part of her remained aware of the boy as she saw him head for a table where a small milk carton held what she assumed to be his spot. No one was there to meet him, and no one else in the busy shop seemed to pay him any mind.

    "Hello! How may I help you?" The barista called to her. Even while Ha-Nui ordered, she involuntarily looked back to the small boy.

    The more she focused on him, the more she could see the frantic look in his eyes as he anxiously stared everyone in the face as they walked by. His short legs swung beneath him as he sat on his hands, he looked like a child who had been told to stay put, and was trying his best to do just that.

    Turning around, Ha-Nui told herself that there was nothing to be concerned about. She wasn't sure if there was even a situation at hand that required her to be as nosy as she was.

    Carefully handling her hot drink, she made a beeline for the first available table she spotted, which just so happened to be behind the young boy.

     To keep herself occupied, she checked her emails.

     After a few minutes, she looked up to see the child moving between others as he rushed to the exit. Pulling her drink from her lips, she waited expecting to finally see him with the idiot that had left him by himself for who knows how long.

     Her eyes followed him as he ran in and out of view of the front windows.

     "This is ridiculous..." Standing now, Ha-Nui made her way to the barista on duty, hoping that they would have an answer.

    "Huh? I don't recall seeing anyone." When she questioned whether or not they had recognized the child, she was met with a half-hearted response as the young man dealt with the chaotic orders he was having to fill.

    Knowing that he would be of little help, Ha-Nui sighed as she tapped the counter. As she made her way back, the boy whizzed past her.

     Speeding behind him, Ha-Nui could clearly see tears on his face.

     "Why are you crying?" She lightened her voice as she approached him. She kept her distance so not to scare him. The little boy stood stiff as his eyes fell.

      Going into a crouch, Ha-Nui came closer, bit by bit.

      "Are you waiting on someone? Your mom? Your dad?" When all he did was begin to cry harder, Ha-Nui's hands instinctively went to his. They were cold and a deep red, a sign that he had spent too much time outside searching for whoever it was he waited on. Rubbing them between hers, she tried to warm them. She didn't know if she pulled him into her, or if the poor boy was so saddened that he mindlessly fell into her arms for comfort.

    While she told him not to cry so she could help him, the boy held onto her shoulders as she picked him up, carrying him to the table. She allowed him to sit on lap as she made small circles on his back, calming him down.

    "He didn't like me." His mouth was buried into the side of her neck, obscuring his words.

     "Who didn't like you? I can't understand you when you're crying like this..." She soothed.

     Pulling back, the boy's mouth trembled. His eyes weren't even open as he repeated himself.

     "He didn't like me. He left me too." The child cried so deeply his face turned red as he held his breath.

Is he an abandoned child?

   She thought to herself. It was apparent the boy had been left behind by someone, and he understood his situation more than a child his age should have. Ha-Nui didn't want to voice her thoughts which echoed his words, and end up in sighting even more fear in the boy.

     She could feel her heart beat against her chest as she wanted to curse the coward who dumped the kid without any concern for his wellbeing. Anything could have happened to him. A predator could have snatched him up and...

   "You don't have to cry now.  I'm here with you, okay? I'm a good person, I promise." The sobs continued.

    Moving his hair out of his eyes, Ha-Nui smiled softly when he finally looked at her.

    "Can you tell me your name?" Tentatively, he wiped his face.

    "Sung Min."

     "Sung Min, huh? Can you tell me how you got here?" As Sung Min retold his story as best as he could, Ha-Nui tried to think of how they would be able to find the young woman who left the child behind. From what she could tell, it had been a long time since the boy first arrived, and someone should have been searching for him by now.

    "Do you know the building your father works in?"

     "It was really big." Even though that gave her little to go off of, Ha-Nui made sure to tell him that is was great he could remember that.

    "If I go with you, do you think you'd remember the building when we find it?"

     Shrugging his shoulders, he answered, "Maybe." She could possibly check with the larger offices nearby to see if anyone was searching for a child. Otherwise, she would have to take him to the police station and report him as being abandoned.

    "Do you know you're father's name, Sung Min?"

     Hyo Min had made sure that he memorized Kibum's name in the short time before she sent him away.

    "Yes. Kim Kibum." He said with certainty.

     "Kim Kibum...Kim Kibum..." Ha-Nui chanted to herself. "And you're sure about that?" She asked one more time. Sung Min nodded his head with sureness. Wrapping his hand in her own, Ha-Nui moved him to the ground as she prepared to leave.

    "Let's go find your dad." When they walked through the doors, they were met with no resistance. No one had even noticed that she was leaving with the child even after only meeting him for the first time.  What if she had been someone else? Ha-Nui couldn't even stomach the thought and lack of concern for Sung Min.

 

 

     "That was a wonderful presentation, Director Kim." The company president gripped Kibum's hand tightly as he shook it. He smiled triumphantly as he was congratulated. Other important figures for this deal stood around, laughing along with the president as they continued discussing the meeting. It had gone way over the time that Kibum had been prepared for as his presentation brought forth some questions and commentary afterwards. Caught up in it all, he hadn't realized just how long it had been.

   Politely excusing himself, Kibum left the old men to their own devices.

 

    When he made it into his department, he headed straight for his office, expecting to meet Sung Min there. When he found the room empty, he scanned the desks of his team, looking for the employee he had asked to watch over Sung Min.

    She sat at her desk with headphones in her ears as she worked away at the computer.

    Waving his hand to grab her attention, she pulled out a headphone to hear him.

    "Yes, Director?"

    "The boy...I asked you to watch earlier, where is he?" Kibum's eyes narrowed as he saw no sign of recognition cross her face.

   "Wh-Who?"

    Kibum's heart sunk.

    "I-I asked you if you could keep an eye on the boy who was with me earlier. You took him with you..." Jumping back in her chair, the young woman remembered. Covering her face with her hands, she looked at Kibum terrified.

    "I told him to wait in the coffee shop! But-"

     "You didn't come back with him?" His brow came together in disbelief. Did he have any right to be upset with her for doing something that wasn't a part of her job?

    Others around them began to listen in as Kibum's voice raised.

    "How did you forget a child?" He bellowed before reigning in his anger.

     The woman stood in a panic, pacing back and forth as she tried to think of what to do." What do I do? Maybe he's still there. I'll call and ask!" Picking up her phone, she could feel the weight of Kibum's gaze as she fumbled over the numbers.

    "First, let me find the shop's number." Sitting back down, she typed away at her computer, looking between the screen and Kibum as she moved as fast as possible. Before she knew it, Kibum had taken off in search of Sung Min.

   Drowning in her embarrassment, the employee hid behind her computer when she heard the others snickering around her.

    "...I didn't actually think she would forget the kid. Did I jinx her?"

 

 

       "I'm afraid we have no one here by that name, Ma'am."

      "Oh, is that so?" Disheartened, Ha-Nui saw that she would have to result to her second option in the search for Sung Min's father. She didn't want to, but sending him to the police station looked like the best choice to make at this point.

    Sung Min still stood by her side, clinging to her hand.

     "I'm sorry, Sung Min. It looks like this isn't where your dad works either." The boy watched his feet as they left. With a heavy sigh, Ha-Nui searched for the number for the local station. Just as finger lingered over the call button, a shout from the distance drew Sung Min away from her. When she felt his hand slip out of her own, she followed behind him.

 

     "Sung Min!" Kibum didn't know how, but he was lucky enough to spot the red coat his son wore out of the many people on the streets. He had been running all over the place, checking the coffee shop and any other place he could imagine, hoping he would find Sung Min along the way. Whenever he asked someone if they had seen his son, no one could recall the boy's description.

    Just as sheer panic began to truly set in, he finally found him.

     "Sung Min, where are you going?" A strange woman chased after Sung Min. Sneering his nose, he snatched up his son before she could reach him. "Are you okay?" He asked him the instant he had him in his arms. Sung Min hugged him in response.

    "Who the hell are you?!"  He nearly bared his teeth at the woman as she came to a stop before him.

     "Who the hell are you?" She echoed with just as much disgust.

    They stared each other down. Kibum threatened to report her to the police.

    "What were you doing with my son? Did you think you could just walk around with someone else's child like that?"

    "Ah!" Ha-Nui clapped her hands together." So you're the bastard that we've been looking for? Wow, to imagine that someone who abandons their kid has enough pride to look at me like I was going to harm him even though we've been searching for you! You know, seeing that kid cry the way he did made me pissed off at who made him that way, but now I just want to kick your-"  Remembering Sung Min's presence, Ha-Nui bit her tongue.

    "Sung Min, is this really your dad?" She asked. Sung min turned around in his arms with a brightened expression.

   "Yes!" His mood had improved, and with that Ha-Nui's heart felt more at ease for him in that moment.
    Holding him closer, Kibum glared at Ha-Nui as he turned on his heel to leave.

    "Hey! I'm not done with you!" When she was ignored, she scoffed. "The next time you want to get rid of your kid, you should take him to the police and leave him there. It would only be courteous of you to consider his safety even if you don't want him anymore." Her accusation was dipped in sarcasm as she stirred his ire.

    Abruptly stopping, Kibum turned to her. In the blink of an eye, Ha-Nui's coat was now in the ball of his fist as he pulled her dangerously close.

    "Don't ever show your face in front of me again, do you hear me?"

    "Stop taking my lines." Ha-Nui gritted her teeth, not backing down. Pushing her away, Kibum gave her a look that could kill as he stalked off. Even as he walked away, Sung Min turned to lift his hand in a small wave as Ha-Nui returned it.

    Even though she was able to get the boy back to the father he desperately wanted to be with, Ha-Nui could only help but wonder if this was a victory or a defeat. All that there was to do now was hope that it wouldn't have been better for them to have made it to the police station first, rather than running into Sung Min's father.

 

   "Son of a bitch!" She exclaimed. Kicking her foot into the ground, Ha-Nui left, still with the boy on her mind.

This story archived at https://www.valentchamber.com/viewstory.php?sid=3305