From Chaos to What? Chaos is a ladder by magensby
Summary:

Evangeline struggles with her blindness; Todd Manning is executed; and John McBain gets closer to solving his father’s murder.  Everywhere is chaos and what is that? Chaos is a ladder. How you maneuver its rungs depends upon you.


Categories: Daytime Television, One Life to Live Characters: Evangeline Williamson
Classification: Cannon
Genre: Drama
Story Status: Completed
Pairings: None
Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: Yes Word count: 7502 Read: 14153 Published: June 12 2019 Updated: July 10 2019
Chapter 1 by magensby

Un-betaed

All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

From Chaos to What?  Chaos is a ladder

 

Todd Manning is in the hospital recovering from his execution. Evangeline Williamson and Cristian Vega are with him in his hospital room

 

 

Chapter 1

 

 

‘Stop the execution!  Manning didn’t kill anyone!’

 

 

Those words still ring in the air even in the hospital room where Todd lies in bed recovering from the execution and Evangeline and Cristian sit with him.  Cristian tries to convince Evangeline to leave Todd in the hospital and go home to rest. Evangeline balks at the suggestion and says that she will stay until they find out what is happening with Margaret Cochran.  Cristian doesn’t like Evangeline’s relationship with Todd.  

 

“Evangeline, let’s just leave now.  Todd is a big boy.  He can take care of himself.”  

 

Todd notices Cristian’s agitation and smirks.  Todd is aware that Cristian has a romantic interest in Evangeline but he doesn’t think that Cristian is the man for Evangeline. But who is Todd to say who is right for Evangeline when he can’t decide who is right for himself.  This merry-go-round that he has been on with Blair for years is beginning to be ludicrous.  She’s Spencer Truman’s girl now.  She abandoned Todd for the man that Todd is sure set him up for Margaret’s murder.  Well Truman can have her Todd thinks.  The sound of shouting snaps Todd out of his daydreaming.  Cristian is shouting at Evangeline.  Why is Cristian shouting at Evangeline?  What did I miss Todd asks himself.

 

“Cristian you can leave.  As I told you I will stay here with Todd until we find out about Margaret Cochran.  John is interviewing her now and Dr. Truman is with him.  Maybe she will finally recognize Truman and this nightmare will be all over for Todd.”

 

Cristian’s anger boils over the top as he thinks how all of Evangeline’s concern is focused on Todd Manning and he doesn’t like it.  Coming to the end of his patience Cristian grabs Evangeline to get her attention.  

 

“Why is everything about Todd?  Can’t you see that he’s manipulating you to put your life on hold for him?  He’s only your client Evangeline, or is he more to you?”

 

Evangeline forcefully pulls out of Cristian’s grasp and steps back from him.  Surprised by Cristian’s behavior, but unwilling to concede even an inch, she tells him, 

 

“Cristian Vega, are you out of your mind?  Don’t you ever put your hands on me like that again!  Who are you to tell me what to do?  I don’t have to explain my actions to you or to anyone.  I am an adult and can make my own decisions.  I may be blind but I’m not stupid nor have I lost all of my senses. Cristian I know that you are concerned about me and I appreciate that but it does not give you the right to control me.  Contrary to popular belief, blindness does not make one helpless.  We are simply ‘visually challenged’ and that’s a challenge I am willing to face.  Now you can face it with me, as my friend, or not.”

 

Cristian calms down and knows that he made a mistake in physically restraining Evangeline but sometimes he just wants to shake some sense into her about Manning so he decides to apologize and wait for another day to convince her to cut her ties with Manning.  Cristian allows his anger to subside and says to Evangeline, 

 

“I’m sorry for touching you in that manner Evangeline.  I was wrong to do that.”  

 

Evangeline notices that although Cristian apologized for manhandling her he does not apologize for what he said so she deduces that he actually believes that she doesn’t know her own mind and is allowing Todd to manipulate her.  Evangeline does not foresee things improving on that front and she knows that neither man will concede even an inch so she must be the one to break this impasse.  Although she has enjoyed and appreciated all the things that Cristian has done for her since the tornado at the church left her blind she does realize that she will not allow anyone to control her and that is exactly what Cristian is trying to do.  Saying a prayer and taking a cleansing breath Evangeline asks Cristian to come to her.  She takes his hand and with her other hand she touches his cheek and says, 

 

“Cristian, I know that you are concerned for me and you have been here for me since the accident left me blind.  I thank you and appreciate all that you do for me.  I am my own person Cristian.  No one gets to plot my course but me.  It’s evident that you don’t like Todd, for whatever reason, I don’t want to know.  Todd is not only my client but also my friend and I will not abandon him in his hour of need.  You are welcome to stay with me and support me in this effort but if you cannot then I will understand and will harbor no hard feelings against you. You are a good man Cristian Vega and life has dealt you a hard hand but make the best of what you have. There are those in Llanview who love and support you.  I love you too but as a friend.  It cannot be more than that.  I am not presuming that you have romantic feelings for me but I want you to know that I do not have such feelings for you and never will.”

 

Cristian cuts her off at that point, 

 

“Evangeline how do you know that?  How do you know that you and I can’t have something together?” 

 

As he puts his hand over her hand on his cheek.  Evangeline smiles and simply says,

 

I just know Cristian.  So if we must part let’s part as friends and if not as friends just know that I only wish the best for you Cristian Vega.”  

 

Cristian looks at her with sadness in his eyes. Although she cannot see his sad eyes she senses the change in his mood.  Evangeline removes her hands from him and he steps back.  He says, 

 

“I think that you are making a mistake but it is your mistake to make. But I won’t stand around and watch you make a mess of your life trying to be a friend to a scumbag like Todd Manning.  I wish you luck and goodbye.”  

 

With those parting words Cristian walks out of Todd’s hospital room.  For a few moments Evangeline just stands there in the middle of the room processing her conversation with Cristian.  She is sad that she’s lost his friendship but she knows that she did what was right for her.

This story archived at https://www.valentchamber.com/viewstory.php?sid=3805