Confessions of A Bridesmaid by Narcissus87
Summary:

"There's an old saying in Tennessee -- I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee -- that says, fool me once, shame on -- shame on you. Fool me -- you can't get fooled again." - George W. Bush


This story is the product of what happens when you mix families, homecomings, childhood rivalries, weddings and love.


Categories: Music, Original Fiction Characters: None
Classification: None
Genre: Action-Adventure , Comedy , Drama, Family, Friendship, Romance
Story Status: Active
Pairings: None
Warnings: Work in Progress
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 14 Completed: No Word count: 45987 Read: 26918 Published: November 21 2020 Updated: September 09 2021
Chapter Ten by Narcissus87
Author's Notes:

Once again, thank you for coming back to catch up on the latest update of COAB. Enjoy!

Song Inspiration:

"Go Crazy" by Meg Thee Stallion ft. Big Sean and 2 Chainz

"Truth Hurts" by Lizzo

"Things Are Changin'" by Gary Clark Jr. 

 

Montgomery Estate - Bridal Party Photo Shoot - Pool Area - Tuesday Evening 


“Oh my gosh! What is taking so long? And what’s up with this elevator music? This is supposed to be a pool party.” Callie complained. 


“Calm down, don’t get everybody riled up. None of us are too happy about being here except for Gwen.” We both looked in her direction watching her chatting it up with the photographer telling him about her good side and asking for pointers. 


“There is no way that anybody can be that happy about a wedding, especially this shotgun wedding,” I commented. 


“Ha, that’s what one would think.” Island butted in and took a seat on the lounge chair next to mine. “She along with all the elite black families in Laurel are quite pleased about this arrangement. Isaac and Daisy are the epitome of the millennial African American power couple. And add the love triangle scandal on top of that. This is an event of the century.”


“That’s a bunch of crap if you ask me.” Leslie stated. 


“Sorry, best friend, but you know it’s true and you also know how these bourgeoisie people are around here. They thrive on money and gossip. I wish Isaac would just man up and be his own person.”


“Is that why you drive a Toyota instead of a Benz?” Callie asked without a judging tone. 


“Callie!” Leslie hissed. 


“What? I just asked a question. She doesn’t have to answer if she doesn’t want to.”


Island chuckled. “It’s cool. And you’re right. I’m in a Toyota because following my dreams of being a young adult author, let alone, a high school librarian doesn’t mesh too well with the Lowell family legacy. Then add a failed marriage to the mix. That alone, almost got me disowned.”


“Damn, that’s messed up” I mumbled. 


“That’s exactly what I thought. And then I moved on with my life. I love my parents, but they can’t control me with money. My happiness is worth way more important than that. I just wish my brother would get a clue though.” Island said. 


“Why did she have to choose a pool party themed photo shoot? I hate swimming and I promise if I get my hair wet it’s a wrap for this whole thing,” I warned. 


“Here comes Cruella,” groaned Island. 


The patio doors opened, and Jacqueline walked through with her sleeveless, knee length striped black and white dress and black kitten heels. She donned a wide brim hat and oversized sunglasses. We looked at the host and had to hold down our laughter. 


“Does she always have to dress like she’s going to Sunday morning service?” I joked. The ladies tried and failed to cover their giggles. 


“When a successful woman has a closet the size of your little two bedroom apartment, Sophia, then that woman has every right to flaunt her wardrobe. Right, Gwendolyn?”


Gwen quickly turned from the photographer and came over to Jacqueline obediently to answer her, “Oh, absolutely. Ms. Jacqueline. You’ve always had a passion for fashion!” She smiled, touching Jacqueline’s shoulder. 


Jacqueline not so subtly shrugged her off. Another thing about Jacqueline was that she was a major germaphobe.  


“William,” she called out the butler. “Wet wipe. Now!”


Right on queue, William appeared with a silver tray and a container or wipes on top of it. I was ready to say something slick, but Callie stopped me.


“Don’t even go there,” she whispered. 


“Is Daisy ready yet?” Leslie asked politely.


“Just about. Beauty takes time, dear. It would do you well to keep that in mind when you finally meet a man fit for you.”


Leslie’s demeanor shrunk instantly. And the over protective sister gene rose up in me. “She did, but your daughter—”


Callie interrupted me. “Oh my!” She jumped in front of me, blocking my view of Satan’s wife. This sun is really beaming down on us, am I right?” She chuckled holding her hand up to her chest. “I could really go for something cold to drink. Is there a way I can get some lemonade, iced tea, or maybe even something stronger?”


“William,” Jacqueline called out, while she was still having a stare down with me. 


“Right away, madam.”


I rolled my eyes. What was taking Daisy so long? We were only taking pictures. And I didn’t know how much more I could take Jacqueline’s smart mouth before I embarrassed my parents because I was on the edge of disregarding every bit of home training they taught me. I believed in respecting my elders, but as an adult, I refused to be talked down to. 


“Are you ladies bringing a plus one to the wedding?” Jacqueline inquired. I could tell she was digging for information to use against us. 


“No, ma’am. As I told Daisy before, we are dedicated to making her day special and bringing a guest would only be a distraction.” Callie answered. 


“Well, that’s mighty nice of you girls. I know the groomsmen are bringing dates of their own. Even that handsome Detective Brock is bringing his lovely lady friend. What’s her name?” Jacqueline asked no one in particular and made a complete show, trying to remember it. “Alexandria! Yes, Alexandria Greene, but everyone calls her Lexi for short. I think she even went to school with y’all,” she smiled wickedly. 


Outwardly, I gave nothing away, but on the inside I was a tad bit salty because Alexandria was actually a really nice girl. The main thing I remember about her from our school days was that she was in the beauty pageant circuit and wanted to make a career out of it. I heard she went pretty far with it. 


There was no way I could compete with that. The handsome hometown hero and a beauty queen sounds like a match made in heaven. I was a single mom of twins chasing a music career in her 30’s. Damn you, Gunnar Brock for almost making me fall for you again. 


Jacqueline may have won this round, but I could guarantee that we’d win the war. 


“Alright, ladies! Whose ready to have some fun?” Daisy asked, stepping out of the mansion headed in our direction. She wore a one piece leopard print swimsuit with cutout pieces and a short white veil in her head. “Marco and Phoebe, it’s so good to see you two!” She exclaimed, giving them both air kisses on each cheek, la bise style. “Mwah, mwah! Girls, I know I said we were having a photo shoot, but this won’t be just an ordinary shoot. I have been selected to do a full spread for Blushing Brides Magazine!” She jumped and clapped. 


Gwendolyn squealed and cheered along with the bride. 


“Kill me now,” Leslie groaned. 


“Okay, bridesmaids and bride to be, during this shoot I just want you all to have fun and act natural. Marco will take it from there.” Phoebe kindly instructed. 


We all rose from our seats taking off our short silk hot pink robes to reveal our matching hot pink one-piece swimming suit that had the words “Team Bride” in white block letters. 


“This is humiliating,” I mumbled. 


Gwen ran past me, with a plastic beach ball in her hands. “The last one in the pool is a rotten egg!”


“How old is she?” Island asked, walking over to the stairs that led inside the pool. 


Laughing, I went to go sit on the edge of the pool to get my feet and legs wet first and then I would eventually get in. It wasn’t that I didn’t know how to swim, I just didn’t care for it. I slid my white heart shaped sunglasses over my eyes and put on a smile that I was hoping didn’t come off as fake. 


My sisters were lounging on some inflatable pool floats. I saw one shaped like a donut. Once I settled myself on the floating device, I took a deep breath and began to relax and think of ways to help Leslie cope with this situation since she wouldn’t let us go through with our original plans. I also needed to make peace with the fact that there was nothing left to entertain between Gunnar and me. I knew he was naturally a flirt, but for him to try to dredge up old feelings in me wasn’t cool. I was starting to find that staying past my initial visit was a bad idea, like something worse was headed my way. And I didn’t need anybody playing games with my head. We should’ve taken Leslie home with us to cheer her up then I wouldn’t be in this predicament. 


I was pulled from my thoughts when I felt a splash of water hit my legs and stomach. I jumped a little from the shock of the cold water. I looked over to the culprit. “Watch out Gwen. Can you splash the water in a different direction? I don't want to mess my hair up.” I knew it was a lame excuse, but I hoped that would’ve been reason enough for her to respect my wishes. 


As I went back to lounging and daydreaming on the float, I thought I heard her say something about loosening up. Then all of a sudden I felt a large amount of water being splashed all over me and because I wasn’t ready for what was coming, I fell into the water.


Trying my hardest not to panic and get my footing. I rose back up in the water. My sunglasses were abandoned somewhere on the pool floor and now my eyes revealed my true attitude. I treaded over to Gwendolyn who was still splashing around and playing in the water. 


I came from behind her and began repeatedly dunking her in the water. “I asked you nicely to not splash me, now look!” I told her in an angry tone. 


Between Leslie shouting my name and Callie’s uncontrollable laughter, I heard Island yell, “Water fight!”


“Yes!” Phoebe shouted. “Let’s finally have some fun. I love it! Now this is what I call a pool party. This is absolutely perfect! Marco, are you getting this?” Phoebe questioned and used a device to change the humdrum music to “Go Crazy” by Megan Thee Stallion, at a high volume.


Island and Leslie were splashing crazy amounts of water at Daisy and each other. And I could’ve sworn I saw Callie with a large water gun, spraying everybody in sight, mainly Jacqueline. 


Once I had my fill of releasing some pent up energy, I pushed Gwen away from me. Since I was already drenched I swam to the pool stairs to get out. I went to my lounge chair to go put on my robe and slid my feet into my sandals. Heading for the pool house to dry off and leave, Leslie called out to me. “Soph, are you okay?”


I stopped and turned and realized that Leslie and Callie were in their robes as well. “Yeah, I’m good, Les. You don’t have to leave because of me.”


“Girl, please! Seeing you get Gwen back was the highlight of this entire ordeal, she said with the first genuine smile I’d seen from her in a while. Plus attacking Daisy with water didn’t hurt either,” she giggled.


I took in my surroundings, I saw Island talking to Marco asking to see certain shots of when I dunked Gwen and when she and Leslie splashed Daisy. She laughed harder and harder after every shot she saw. Gwen and Daisy were still in the pool crying crocodile tears. While Jacqueline was trying to apologize to Phoebe about the mishap all the while Phoebe would have none of it. “Jacqueline, honey! This is one the most spontaneous photo shoots I’ve had in a long time. You need to thank those young ladies for saving a story that would’ve bored our readers to death.”


Jacqueline let out a scream and stormed into her house angrily. Gwen’s and Daisy’s cries became obnoxiously louder. 


I figured it was because the groom and his groomsmen had just made their entrance. They looked confused, I’m sure Jacqueline and Daisy would find a way to spin it to make us look like the bad guys. 


“Suck it up, you big babies! We were having fun,” Island teased from the poolside. 


My sisters and I, once again, started heading for the pool house. 


Isaac, addressed my sister, “Leslie, what’s going on here? I thought it was just supposed to be a low key pool party. Everything is wet and why are they crying?” He pointed over to the pool. 


“Something that only poor people would understand, now move around, rich boy,” she answered with a straight up attitude and pushed him out of the way and into the water. 


Quickly covering her mouth after realizing her mistake, Callie and Island laughed all over again. It was pretty funny watching such a prim and proper guy who was fully dressed get pushed into the water. Daisy started crying even harder. I smirked at her antics. 


I noticed Gunnar looking at me instead of laughing like everyone else, refusing to give him anything, I continued on my way out. 


*******************************


Soundscape Garden Park- Jazz In the Park - Wednesday Evening


Enjoying the warm breeze and the guest artist’s music, everyone cheered as he finished the first half of his set and would be back shortly. 


“Mom, Laurel Springs may be slower, but I kind of like it better than the city life,” Aspen said. 


“Really?” I asked, shocked. 


“Yes. I love being able to see gramps and gran everyday and our aunties, uncle and cousin more often,” she offered. 


“Aspen is right. Something about this town feels right to me, like there’s something special here for us,” Eden spoke up. 


I stared at my daughters, taking a sip of my water. “Where is all of this coming from?”


“Don’t get us wrong. We enjoy traveling with you, but if we had to choose a place to settle, it would be here. The people are friendlier, there’s a great music program here and we can actually see the stars in the sky at night,” said Aspen. 


“And, I wrote three songs, since we’ve been here. Three, mom!” Eden exclaimed. 


Sitting on this picnic blanket with my girls are the types of moments I cherish. Having them share their thoughts, ideas and opinions with me is what I loved. I always wanted them to feel comfortable to talk to me.


An older man was walking around with a small rolling cart selling popcorn and cotton candy. “Sir,” Aspen called out to him. 


“Yes, Little Miss?” He smiled politely. 


“May I have a bag of the blue and green cotton candy?”


“Ahh, the mystery flavor,” he beamed. “Not many are brave enough to go for this one.”


“My grandfather says you make the best cotton candy in the world and that he’s never had a mystery bag he didn’t like. He said that one time his mystery bag was the flavor of peach cobbler and vanilla.”


The old man chuckled, “Yes, that became one of my best sellers. I’m hoping the flavor in this bag becomes the next big hit. He handed her the bag.”


Aspen handed him the money, “No, Little Miss. This is on the house. And you tell your grandfather that Charles says ‘hello.’” The man requested. 


Eden gasped. “You remember our grandfather?”


The old man laughed, “Of course I do. How can I forget the man that bought peach cobbler and vanilla flavored cotton candy for three months straight? Hello, Sophia!”


“Hi, Mr. Langston! It’s so great to see you again.”


“Likewise, your father told me you had twins, and how beautiful and well-mannered they are. Keep up the good work. Don’t stay away so long anymore.” He advised. 


“Yes, sir.” I answered.


“Well, I’ll be on my way. You ladies enjoy the rest of your evening.” He tipped his hat and left. 


“See what I mean? Everyone knows everyone.” Eden suggested. 


“I make no promises, but I’ll think about making Laurel Springs our forever home.”


The twins squealed and began smothering me in kisses. 


“Well isn’t this a picture perfect moment?” A male’s voice spoke, casting a shadow over us. 








End Notes:

A little bit of drama 🎭, fun 🙃 and mystery 🕵🏾‍♀️was wrapped into this chapter. I can't wait to share the rest of this story. I'm excited to see where this goes. I won't drag it out, but I also won't rush it either. We're closer to the end than the beginning. However, I'm really enjoying writing, it's been a great stress reliever and hopefully you all still find this story interesting. Either way, I appreciate you for sticking around for the journey. Whether you comment or just read. I'm grateful for it all. 

Stay healthy and safe! 🥰

This story archived at https://www.valentchamber.com/viewstory.php?sid=3909