Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter Four 

 

Cameron – Summer 2011 

Every cell in Cameron’s body began to singe at Erin’s words, charring her from the inside out.  Clearly, Erin wanted to get punched in the face but what exactly would Cameron look like starting a fight with another grown woman over words? Hurtful words, but words nonetheless.  That’s all they were but she was also human and needed to escape this reality as quickly as possible. 

Composing herself, Cameron took in a deep breath and stood up, stretching her long limbs and making her way out of the den, saying nothing but making eye contact with Nina who, looking awfully remorseful, nodded her head ever so slightly at Cameron’s departure. 

She strolled her way into the kitchen and began rummaging through the refrigerator for something cold to drink, not sure that her body temperature was rising from the heat of the day or anger bubbling in her stomach.  She found several cans of Sprite on the top shelf, seized one and promptly popped the tab to indulge.  Taking gigantic gulps, her mouth became too full and a sliver of the bubbly beverage seeped from the right corner of her mouth.  With her wrist she wiped away the remnants, just as Philip came into the kitchen, laughing at something one of the guys said. 

He stopped in his tracks and stared at Cameron, examining her body language and overall feel, she supposed. 

“Who pissed you off,” Philip asked, making his way towards Cameron, the refrigerator being his ultimate destination.  Cameron rolled her eyes and placed the half full can of soda on the granite countertop.  He could still read her after all these years.  It was annoyingly remarkable really. 

She opened her mouth to rant and perhaps say something mean and cruel but opted to take the high road.  No use crying over spilled milk or re-hashing the past, though the need to do so nagged her conscious. 

“I’ve just got a lot on my mind.  That’s all.” 

“I don’t buy it but seeing that you have been avoiding me since we’ve been here, I’ll leave you alone.”  Philip turned his attention from Cameron and began rummaging through the refrigerator.  He poked his head from around the refrigerator door, peering at Cameron before speaking again.  “By the way, my mom has asked about you numerous times since finding out you’re home and I’m really tired of coming up with excuses as to why you haven’t paid her a visit, so you might want to add that to your to do list.  And let me know if it’ll be an imposition for me to be there so I can arrange for my presence to be elsewhere.” 

He pulled out a can of Sprite for himself and began to drink, taking big gulps as well.  It was obvious he was a little ticked off at her too but did he really have a right? Maybe, the small voice in Cameron’s mind uttered. 

“Ouch,” Cameron said in a low voice.  “I think I can officially call today ‘Bruise Cameron’s Ego’ Day.” 

“Well, maybe your ego should be bruised,” Philip replied, his voice blunt, to the point and very much not like him.  In fact that was totally a Cameron move. 

“And what is that suppose to mean?”  She crossed her arms over her chest and glared at him, demanding an answer not only with her question but with her body language. 

“It means what it means, Cameron.” 

“What? You sound like Yoda.” Her brow furrowed in frustration, “Are you going to start speaking in parables now Philip? That wasn’t an answer to my question and what exactly is your problem with me?” 

“You want to know what my problem is,” Philip began slamming his can of soda on the countertop.  “You.  You and your lack of wanting to communicate with anyone.” 

“Oh, give me a break Philip.  You’ve had ample time to ‘communicate’ with me but chose not to.” 

They stood there, guarded in stillness, staring each other down with a passion no one could deny.  She wanted to talk to him but felt the only words that would come out were hurtful and she really didn’t want to do that, so instead she grabbed her soda off of the countertop and made her way out of the kitchen. 

“Cameron,” Philip exclaimed.  “Wait a minute.” 

She abruptly turned around and propped her hands on her hips.  “I’m tired of waiting, Philip.  And by the way can you let your mom know that I’m on my way to see her.  No need to arrange for you to not be there since I already know where you are.” 

Philip – Summer 2011 

Regret consumed Philip as soon as his little tirade to Cameron was finished.  Why he went off on her like that, he’ll never know but it seemed that aggression was his only option to get Cameron to even look his way.  

Walking towards the den, he ran into a not so happy and quite confused looking Nina. 

“What did you say to her,” Nina insisted.   

“I screwed up but she was in a mood before I got to the kitchen.” 

“She just stormed out, without saying a word to anyone.” 

“Anyone? Who else is here?” 

“Greg didn’t tell you I invited Erin Collins over to help out?” 

“He did not.  Doesn’t she like hate Cameron or something like that?”

 “It’s a mutual thing.  Actually, I think Cameron loathes her more,” Nina stated, rather perplexed by his question.  “I don’t know.  It might be toss up.” 

“I never really understood why there was tension between those two,” Philip said. 

“Hello Captain Obvious.” 

“What,” Philip asked puzzled. 

You are the tension between those two.” 

“Me? Why? I never dated Erin, we just hung out.  And besides, Cameron and I were always together.  She just sat idly by while I tried my best to torment her with fake girlfriends until...”  He stopped himself before he said any more. 

“Oh wow.  That’s...wow.  You’ve been in love with Cameron all this time and never said anything?”  

“Yeah, I guess so,” he answered reluctantly, completely floored by the fact that he admitted that aloud and to Nina no less. 

“You two have got some serious issues you need to clear up.  Please talk to her soon.” 

The notion was the only thing occupying his mind since he’d been home.  He’d spent countless hours agonizing about how he’d start up this conversation with Cameron but found himself defeated and exhausted before getting started.  And frankly he was quite afraid at how Cameron would be if and when he approached her about them.   

“Speaking of, was she seething when she left?” 

“I swore I saw a tear streak on her cheek.  A tear streak! Cameron doesn’t cry, like ever and she was brought to tears about something you said.”  Nina leaned against the wall and crossed her arms over her body, hugging herself tight.   

“She was really crying,” Philip asked, an ache began to take form in his chest.  Was he the cause? Had he been the cause of any of Cameron’s tears? He knew the answer to those questions but swept them aside. 

“What happened to you two Philip,” Nina asked. 

“Honestly,” he started, his fingers rubbing his temples.  “It was so long ago that I can’t remember everything but I do feel like it’s just a bunch of misconceptions and lack of communication.”  He sighed heavily.  “I don’t know.  I just want to talk to her and she won’t let me.” 

“Force her to listen to you.” 

“Force? Cameron? You do know who you’re talking about, right? This is the same woman who forced Luther, your ex who was six foot tall by age eight, to give me back my lunch money in the third grade.  You can’t force an enforcer.” “

What happened to Camer-,” Erin sauntered in, probing about Cameron.  “Oh, hi Philip.  I didn’t know you were here.” 

“Yeah,” he replied with a nod of his head barely acknowledging her.  “Look, Nina, I think I’m gonna head out and go for a run.  Need to clear my mind.  Tell Greg, I’ll be back later on this evening.”  He promptly maneuvered around Nina and Erin, making his way out front to his car.   

Philip – 1997 

A slight breeze in the air surrounded Cameron and Philip as they exited the smoky stadium.  The Luscious Jackson concert was now over and it was time to head back home.  They headed to Philip’s truck and ever the gentleman he opened the passenger door and helped Cameron get inside, ensuring she was comfortable before closing the door and making his way to the driver’s side. 

“Oh, that was stellar,” Cameron exclaimed, still high on the rush of seeing her favorite band live. 

“It was perfect.  They were wonderful live.” 

“It was awesome,” Philip smiled as he glanced over at Cameron.  She was perfect and this was the perfect night.  He only wished that it could last a little longer. After travelling for a while, Philip focused on the clock in his truck to make sure he had Cameron back by her curfew. 

“We’ll be back home in about thirty minutes, with about a half hour to spare.” 

“No worries,” my mom is covering for me with my dad, so if I’m a little late it’s alright.  She smiled and Philip’s heart turned to mush.  He had always loved Cameron but it was really more of a true friend love but lately he’d been feeling much more for her, though he’d never actually come out and say that to her.  He didn’t want to risk their friendship, so he’d remain silent.  At least he’d try.  He could be quite impulsive and it really took an effort for him to refrain from just doing what he wanted to do. 

Cameron – 1997 

The night was perfect and absolutely nothing could change that.  She just finished watching her favorite band with her best friend and she loved every minute of it.  Philip was super sweet the whole time too and very protective, more so than usual.  He stood behind her the whole time they were in the mosh pit, making sure she had ample space around and taking accidental shoves and hits from other concert goers.  It was nice, him surrounding her and for a moment she wished they could spend more time like this; in close proximity. Once they were in Philip’s truck and on their way home, Cameron turned to face him, about to speak but holding back. 

“What,” Philip said as if he could feel her stare sear across his skin. 

“I’m not ready to go home yet.” He turned towards her quickly, trying not to keep his eyes off of the road too long but making sure she knew she had his attention. 

 “What do you want to do?” 

“I don’t know,” she said after a long pause.  “Maybe we can go hang out by Thompson’s farm.” Cameron couldn’t really tell but she thought for a moment Philip could have been blushing.  Thompson’s farm was a make out sight for teenagers and college students.  So why did she propose going there? Even she was dumbfounded by the suggestion.  “It’s such a clear night and I’d hate to waste it by going home,” she followed after her suggestion.  “We can count stars or something.”  Cameron giggled instantly after she spoke.  “I’m sorry.  That’s so corny.  Who counts stars?” 

“I think it’s cute and so very Cameron-esq,” Philip answered, smiling at the thought. 

“We can go on the other side of the farm if you want.” 

She hesitated before answering.  Was this a good idea?  Was she crossing the friendship line? Maybe but she really wanted to go and decided to throw caution to the wind. 

“Let’s go.” 

Philip & Cameron – 1997 

Cameron adjusted herself on the hood of Philip’s pick up, carefully laying back against the windshield.  Philip made found his place next to her and got comfortable before draping an old blanket he kept in the truck over them.   

“You alright,” Philip finally asked after they lounged in the peace of the country for a little while. 

“I’m fine,” Cameron replied, turning her head to look at Philip. 

“It’s nice out, huh,” he asked once again after another moment of quiet passed. 

“Philip,” Cameron began out of the blue.  “Are you still going to go see your mom after graduation?” 

“I was planning on it.  Why?” 

“Can I be completely honest and frank with you?” 

“Of course but really, when are you ever not completely honest and frank with me?” 

“I want what’s best for you, you know that right?” 

“Right,” 

“I’m just nervous that you’ll go there and forget about...” 

“I could and will never forget about you Cameron.  You’re my best friend.” 

“I know but it’s your mom Philip.  And I’m sure she’s wonderful and everything you felt you were missing in your life.” 

“My life was never missing anything.  I just gained another family member.  Nadine and Bill raised me therefore they’re my parents and will remain my parents.  And as for you, how could I ever forget you? I don’t think you’d actually let me.” 

“You’re right.  I’d probably hunt you down.”

The chill of the night air nipped at Cameron’s bare arms, so she pulled the blanket up just below her chin.  Philip snuggled in next to her, turning on his side.  From the angle he could really focus in and ask her what he’d wanted to ask for a little while now. 

“So, have you considered going with me this summer?” 

“To visit your real mom,” she questioned back, knowing full well what he was talking about. 

“Yeah.” 

“I don’t know,” she replied, avoiding eye contact with him. 

“I have to work to pay for all this miscellaneous stuff for college and I’m still working on a few more applications to schools.”  Cameron answered honestly.  “And don’t you think it would be odd for me to tag along with you up there? Your biological mother may not want me there.  And what if she doesn’t like me?” 

“What’s not to like,” Philip promptly replied.  “You’re smart and charming and straight forward, which most people really appreciate.  And you’re beautiful, from the inside out.” 

Cameron smiled at his last comment and shook her head.  “You’re too sweet for words.” 

“I mean what I say.” 

Cameron turned to face him as they continued to stare at each other, both yearning for a single kiss but neither one making a move. 

“Don’t you wish we could stay like this forever,” Cameron finally said, interrupting the sounds of crickets chirping in the dark but Philip didn’t respond with words.  He simply wrapped his arms around Cameron and they embraced each other for a little while, his gesture answering her question.  Of course he wished they could stay like that forever.






Chapter End Notes:

Got through another update much faster than I anticipated.  The story should really start to rev up from here on out (at least that's what I hope). Thanks for sticking it out and enjoy!

-Nicole







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.