Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter Five

Philip – Summer 2011

About three hours passed from the time Philip left Greg and Nina’s house to go for his run to the time he made it back home.  After hitting the pavement, he visited the old bookstore his mother frequented and made his way to a local coffee bar for a smoothie.  He would have done just about anything to get his mind off of his last interaction with Cameron.  He didn’t see Cam’s rental car at his house or in front of her parent’s house and reasoned it safe to go inside.  He stealthily slipped inside the guest bathroom by the back entrance without anyone noticing and began running water in the sink.  Frigid water flowed over his dry hands as he cupped a large amount and splashed it over his flushed face.  Grabbing a towel, he swung the door open with force and found himself face to face with Cameron, a small shriek escaping from her mouth, forcing a small smile to appear across his lips.

“I didn’t know you were here,” Cameron spoke, backing away from him. 

“I just made it in,” he answered, pulling his sweat soaked t-shirt over his head, revealing a very taut and muscled body. 

Cameron’s lips parted ever so slowly at the sight which didn’t go unnoticed by Philip.  He wondered what her body was undergoing at that very moment.  She continued to back away as he drew closer to her. 

“I didn’t see your car, so I thought maybe you were already gone.”

“I see,” Cameron barely got out, swallowing deeply and trying her best not to stare at Philip’s body.  Instinctively her hand cupped the base of her neck and she slowly began applying pressure with her fingers.  That was a new nervous development, as Philip could not recall her ever doing that when she was nervous or uncomfortable, though she never really had a reason to feel that way around him before now. 

“Um, yeah, well...”

“You need to use it?” He motioned his head towards the bathroom door.

“Um,” Cameron started again.  “I – I can just use my bathroom at home.  I should probably go now.  I’m invading your-”

“No you’re not,” Philip cut her off, leading Cameron back down the hallway towards the den where his mother sat drinking her glass of lemonade.

“Philip,” Mrs. Nadine exclaimed.  “Why are you not wearing a shirt boy?” 

“I just got back from running,” he answered, turning his attention to Cameron, a slight smirk appearing at her discomfort. Cameron made eye contact with him and began what Philip thought was a smile.  He hadn’t seen her smile since she’d been home, granted he hadn’t really seen that much of her. 

“How often do you run,” she asked, clearly interested in his answer.   

Mrs. Nadine grabbed a t-shirt from a nearby basket of folded laundry and tossed it to her eldest son.  He managed to put the shirt on while answering Cameron’s question, “Every morning, though not since I’ve been home.  I think I’ve ran twice since I’ve been back. Why? Do you still run?” 

Cameron nodded and hesitated a little before answering. 

“Yeah.  I – I run every morning too.  I try to make it to the park by my house but when the weather’s bad or I’m too lazy to go out I run on my treadmill.” 

“Really,” Philip asked, amused and interested.  “Maybe we can run together tomorrow morning?  That is if you want to.”

Cameron bit down on her bottom lip and for a moment Philip thought he saw her lip quiver at his question.  Obviously she was contemplating, considering whether or not the choice to go for a run with him was a good or bad idea.  She sighed before answering in a rush, as if to just say what she wanted to say before her mind convinced her otherwise, “Sure.  I’ll meet you tomorrow morning on-” 

“Your porch, like when you used to run to condition yourself for tennis in high school?” 

“That’ll work,” Cameron answered, fidgeting her hands just a bit.  Never had she known a guy with Philip’s memory.  It was selective but when he chose to remember something, he knew every aspect of the event.  She eyed her purse on the loveseat and began to reach for it.  “I should probably get going.” 

Mrs. Nadine stood up to give Cameron a hug goodbye.  “Don’t be a stranger.  I want to see you several more times before you leave, you hear me young lady?” 

“Yes, ma’am,” she answered with a smile before accidentally making eye contact with Philip.  He wanted to say something to keep her there a little longer but remained silent instead.  “I’ll see you all later,” Cameron said before turning around to leave.   

By the time Cameron was out of sight, Mrs. Nadine took a hold of the remote control and threw it as hard as she could, pounding Philip in the arm. 

“Ow,” he exclaimed, rubbing his arm. 

Through gritted teeth, his mother whispered, “Go after her!” 

His eyes bulged and rolled but he obliged. “Cameron.  Wait up,” he called after her, slightly jogging towards the front door. 

“Yeah,” she answered, turning around to face him before opening the front door. 

“I just wanted to apologize for earlier today.  You were obviously having a day and I added to that with my comments, so I’m sorry for pushing you.” 

“No worries,” she answered with a forced smile.  “I probably deserved it... somehow.  I haven’t exactly been approachable as of late.” 

Philip didn’t say anything, just continued to look at her, longingly.  He wanted to clear the air.  Get every question he had out in the open but didn’t know exactly how to ask that of Cameron except to just be straightforward and up front with her.  “Do you think that maybe we could talk sometime before we leave here?” 

“We’re talking now, aren’t we,” Cameron countered rather abruptly, as if she knew what he was going to say before it was stated. 

“Yeah.  I suppose we are,” he replied, complying with Cameron’s unwillingness to talk about their situation at the moment.  Give it time Philip, he mentally spoke to himself.  Give her a little more time.  He thought maybe if he just acted normal and slowly started to spend time with her, she’d open up but Cameron was even more enigmatic than ever.  When she decided to shut down, she was locked and there was nothing or anyone that would be able to pry her open.  She’d always been that way and for the first time in his life Philip completely understood the frustration others had felt when slighted by Cameron. 

She walked closer to Philip and for the first time since they’d been home, reached out and embraced him.  Standing on the tips of her toes, she kissed his cheek and whispered, “See you in the morning Philip.” 

And then she turned around and made her way down the sidewalk towards her parent’s house.   Philip stood there perplexed, staring as she departed from him.  The hug and kiss were very much unexpected but stranger things had happened in his life.  He would just hold on to the hope that they’d work through whatever it was they needed to before the end of the two weeks.  He’d just have to be patient and give her a little more time. 

Cameron – Summer 2011

Philip’s face just after her lips parted from his cheek lingered in her memory much longer than she’d anticipated or wanted.  Shock flashed across his eyes as she pulled away and started down the sidewalk to her parent’s house.  She’d shocked herself a little too, not sure exactly why she did it.  Was it a gesture of peace or a means to stop him from trying to pry her open? Perhaps it was both.  She wasn’t sure but it was done nonetheless.   

Running into Philip again made her warm all over.  Being in his presence was like baking in an oven, an undeniable chemistry waiting to combust inside of her.  She wanted to blurt out everything she’d been feeling and thinking since their first mini reunion at the airport.  Admissions of how he’d hurt her and how much she loved him, waiting to erupt from her mouth, filled her throat but were unable to escape because of pride.  She didn’t want him or anyone to get the best of her but really, she felt like they already did.  Shutting down was almost, if not worse than raising a white flag, surrendering to the enemy.

Not so surprising was how much she really missed Mrs. Nadine.  As soon as she crossed the threshold of the Steven’s house, Mrs. Nadine took a hold of her and held her so tight, like she never wanted to let her go.  Like she’d just found her lost little lamb and brought it back home.  Everything came back to Cameron in an instant and it was like she’d never been gone.  They caught up for about an hour, briefing each other on the happenings of their lives since they’ve been apart.  Mrs. Nadine started making candles and selling them on consignment at the boutique on the square and Cameron shared that she’d been painting murals on the side for friends and colleagues.  The visit was nice and cultivated a need and desire to be home much longer than the two weeks Cameron was scheduled to be there for.

Making her way slowly from the front of the house to the back, she found her father tending to his vegetable garden in the back yard.  Staring through the screen door, she leaned against the door frame and allowed the unusually cool breeze to soothe her, calm her down some.  There was nothing like crisp, clean country air.

“What ya thinkin’ ‘bout baby girl,” her father spoke, his voice a whisper above the wind.  He didn’t even have to look up to know she was there. 

She slowly pushed the screen door open with the tip of her tennis shoe and shuffled herself towards her father.  Taking a seat beside him in the dirt, she leaned over and kissed him gently on the cheek.

“You always know,” Cameron replied crossing her legs Indian style as her father unearthed one of his prized tomato plants.

“I spoke with your mother about an hour ago and she mentioned you haven’t visited with the Stevens.”

“I just left them.”

“Was Philip there,” her father asked, peering at her quickly above the rim of his wire framed glasses.

“Yeah,” she answered quickly before continuing.  “Actually he had just gotten there when I was about to leave, so...”

“Your mother is concerned about your relationship with him... As always.”

“It’s nothing to worry about.”

“Well,” her father began.  “I’m not so sure I agree with you and you know how I feel about your mother’s constant involvement in matchmaking schemes but you haven’t been yourself since you’ve been home.”

“It’s really nothing dad.  I’ll get through it.”

“I have no doubt you’ll get through it but I do want you to answer me honestly when I ask you if you’re having a hard time forgiving someone right now? Perhaps even yourself?”

Cameron smiled uncomfortably and chuckled before answering.  “A couple of someones.”

“Have you been in the Word? Have you been praying and seeking guidance?”

“You know the answer to that daddy.  I know that I should but I haven’t and this unforgiving thing is plaguing me.  I just,” she sighed heavily.  “I don’t know what to do or what to say or how to react.”

“Well,” he gently sat down his tomato plant and turned towards his daughter, his eyes focusing in on hers.  “I don’t know what happened between you and Philip or the other someones but I know you can find comfort if you seek the Lord.  I know you kids today don’t think it’s cool to talk to God but it won’t hurt to try him out.”

“I know all too well, daddy.  There used to be a time in my life when He was who I went to first and then I got caught up in... people.  The idea of that perfect someone.  And then I got crushed.”

“We all get caught up in people at some point in our lives sweet pea.  It’s part of human nature.  It’s easy to place others on pedestals and hard when they fail us and fall from grace all on their own.  Its how we decide to recoup that separates the strong from the weak.  Who did you go to first when everything seemed to fall apart?”

“I prayed,” Cameron answered simply.  “I cried my little seventeen year old heart out and I prayed and slowly but surely most of the pain was taken away.”

“Scars are left sometimes to remind us of how far we’ve come from our trials and battles.  It’s not meant to condemn you or make you feel guilty but to remind you that you overcame and you did Cameron.  You’re a beautiful, smart and successful young lady Cameron Linette Austin and your mother and I love you dearly and more than us, your heavenly Father.”

“Thank you, daddy.  I really needed to hear that.”

“Any time baby girl,” he said kissing his daughter on the forehead.  “You staying for dinner? You’re mother is cooking meatloaf.”

“Actually, I think I need to have a conversation with one of the someones mentioned earlier.  Raincheck?”

“I’ll save you some,” her dad said with a slight smile, watching his daughter stand up and wipe the dirt off of her clothes before making her way through the house and out of the front door.

Nina – Summer 2011

Lying down on the sofa, Nina snuggled under her chenille throw, rapidly switching channels on the living room television.  After Cameron left, guilt reared its ugly head and she couldn’t concentrate on the tasks needing completion.  She asked Erin to help her another time and opted to go pick up her son Tyler from her mother’s house.  She took him out for ice cream and spent the remainder of the day watching him play at the park, as the image of Cameron’s horrified face tormented her.  If she had really known how much Erin being there would have affected Cameron, she wouldn’t have forced the issue.  She was really under the impression that Cameron was over the past but apparently that wasn’t the case.  Now she was the bad guy and didn’t know what she could or should do to make amends.

Greg tipped toed towards the sofa and leaned his body over the side, assaulting Nina with kisses all over her face.  She welcomed the love and reached up to stroke his dark hair, enjoying the prickly feel of the short gel spiked strands on the palm of her hand.

“Tyler and I just finished the first Diary of a Wimpy Kid book.  He really liked it,” Greg spoke as Nina’s hands ran down the side of his face and cupped his chin. 

She sat up and pecked his lips lightly before lying back down.

“You alright,” he asked, making his way around the couch.  He slid on the end where Nina rested her legs, lifting them gently and placing them on top of his lap.

“No,” Nina said, her voice quivering a little.

“Are you about to cry,” Greg asked, slightly confused.

“Shut up,” Nina said with a slight sniffle.

“No really are you, ‘cause I’d love to get this on camera,” Greg said with a smirk. 

“I’ve known you for twenty-two years and I’ve seen you cry once and it wasn’t even a real cry.  It was when you played Cat in that all black production of Cat On A Hot Tin Roof for black history month our sophomore year of high school.  Weird that you all chose that play instead of something written for and about black people but whatever.”

“Greg, not now,” Nina moaned as she covered her face with the blanket.  “What kind of friend am I?”

Greg sat silently, smoothing his hands down Nina’s legs to her ankles and ultimately to her feet.  He began applying pressure and massaging her soles.“You’re a friend who sticks her nose in other’s business when she shouldn’t,” he berated forcing her head to poke out from underneath the blanket.

“But,” he began again, smiling like usual, “always means well.”

“She’s not going to be in the wedding.  She’s gonna call me and tell me that she’s decided to go back home and I’m not going to have a maid of honor.  Who doesn’t have a maid of honor in their weddddddding,” she began to sob. 

“We might as well go to the justice of the peace and get married.”

“That’s what I wanted to do in the first place,” Greg replied.  “This wedding is dwindling my savings.”

“Gregory,” Nina called out a little louder than before.  “I’m serious.  Cameron just added me to her list of those she never wants to see again in her lifetime.”

“And you call her dramatic,” Greg spoke releasing Nina’s feet.  “Cameron’s just having a hard time right now and she’ll look back at this situation and laugh in a few days.  After all that you two have been through and all the crap and trouble you’ve brought on her, this is the least of your worries.  Cameron’s got your back no matter how ridiculous you act.”

“That’s really encouraging Gregory.  Thanks for the pep talk if that’s really what you want to call it.”

“I’m just saying, take this blow to your pride and apologize to her for butting in.  And all will be good in the hood.”

“That simple,” Nina said with a roll of her eyes as she sat up, removing her feet from Greg’s lap.Greg stood up and Nina lied back down, stretching her long legs along the full length of the sofa.    He rested his hands on either side of Nina and slowly lowered his body on top of hers, kissing her forehead, nose and then her lips. 

“Yes it’s that simple.”

“You wanna go up-“

“I thought you’d never ask,” Greg spoke with widened eyes, picking Nina up and tossing her over his right shoulder, completely catching her off guard.  She shrieked with laughter, tossing her hands over her mouth, as not to wake up Tyler.  They were at the base of the staircase when the doorbell rang.

“Really,” Greg spoke through clenched teeth.  He placed Nina back down on the floor and stared at his watch.  It was almost nine o’clock.  Nina made her way to the door and peeked through the peep hole. 

“Who is it? Can we shut the t.v. off and act like we’re already asleep or not here,” Greg asked.

Nina spun around and looked at him with pleading eyes.  He knew exactly who it was.

“Tell Cameron her timing is superb,” he said before walking upstairs by himself, leaving the ladies to talk it out.

Nina directed her attention to the front door and slowly swung it open.  She wasn’t sure what to expect from Cameron and was quite alarmed to find her oldest friend holding out a silver wrapped box with a purple tulle bow adorning the top.

“What’s this,” Nina asked taking a hold of the box.

“A gift,” Cameron simply replied as she eased passed Nina into the house.  “I was going to wait to give it to you at your lingerie party but thought I’d give it to you now.”

The first thing to come to Nina’s mind was that Cameron was headed back to Chicago, leaving her maid of honor-less.  She held the box tight and returned her attention to Cameron, an apology peering through her woeful eyes.  “Cameron, I’m so incredibly sorry for-“

“Before you start,” Cameron interrupted.  “I want to apologize first.  I have been in agony since I’ve been home and I’m sure no fun.  This isn’t how you should be spending your time before getting married and I’ve been the world’s worse maid of honor.  Walking out on you today when you needed me was horrible and you don’t deserve that.  You’re not Erin and I understand what you were trying to do.”

Nina took a seat on the sofa, watching Cameron pace back and forth as she spoke, searching for what she wanted to say next. 

“And I forgive you for butting in and trying to fix things but the truth is you can’t always fix things Nina.  I’m a grown woman and I have to deal with things on my own and in my own time.  I know you meant well but I have to take care of this.  I’m the one who has to deal with this situation between me and Philip and I have to come to terms with what happened.  Plain and simple.”

“So, you’re not leaving me maid of honor-less?”

“What,” Cameron said standing still, staring in disbelief at Nina.

“I thought you were gonna leave and go on with your life and that I’d officially made your list.”

“My list,” Cameron asked dumbfounded.  “What list? I don’t have a list.”

“Yeah, you do Cam.  The same list Philip and Erin are on.”

“First of all there is no list.  Yes I have... had an extreme distaste for Erin for many, many, many moons but she did that to herself and yet, I still don’t hate her.  I just choose not to deal with her like you.  You know, that whole, burn me once shame on you, burn me again, shame on me philosophy.  As for Philip, you of all people know that I could never hate him.  Philip’s my... well, he’ll always be so dear to my heart no matter what may become of our relationship.  There’s no list of people I have it in for.  You and I just approach things differently and you’re a commendable woman for it too.  Being so gracious to people.  I could use some of that a lot of the time.”

“Oh, thank the Lord,” Nina gasped jumping to her feet and wrapping her arms around Cameron’s neck.  “I thought that was it.  You’d be gone for the rest of my life and wouldn’t ever see you again.”

“And you call me dramatic.”

“You sound like Greg,” Nina said pulling herself away from Cameron.  She returned to her seat on the sofa and patted the space next to her, beckoning Cameron to sit down.

“So,” Nina began.  “What did Philip say to you to make you storm outta here?”Cameron smirked and rolled her eyes. 

“He mentioned that his mother had been asking about me and so I went to visit Mrs. Nadine and sat there talking to her for about three hours.  I didn’t realize how much I missed just talking to her.  You know I would talk to her when I felt I couldn’t go to my mom or dad.  Never have I felt judged or looked down on when I speak with her.”

“Well, you’re missed more than you’ll know,” Nina replied.  “I asked Erin to leave and then I went to go pick up Tyler from my mom’s,” Nina added.  She rested her head on her hand, as she perched her elbow on the back of the sofa.  “He asked if you were here.  Where’s auntie Cammy,” she mimicked her son.  “He misses you.  He loves it when we get a chance to Skype you.”

“Well, I’ll have to make it my business to spend some time by myself with him while I’m here.  I miss him too.”  Cameron kicked off her shoes and sat Indian style on the sofa, making herself at home. 

“How’s he getting along with Greg?”

“He adores him,” Nina smiled a broad, wide smile.  “They adore each other, really.  Greg reads with him every night.  Sometimes I sneak and sit beside Ty’s bedroom door and listen to the two of them and my heart just melts.  My boys.”

Cameron grinned.  “Well, it helped that Greg was never a stranger.  He’s known Tyler all his life.  Remember, Greg was the first one there at the hospital when you had him.  I think he beat Luther there.”

“He did,” Nina answered with wide gleaming eyes.  “And Greg was there during the divorce too.  He had just moved back home and we just sort of started hanging out.  That was around the time I found out about Luther and Erin and Greg was there for me through all of that.  He literally saw me at my worst.  And I later discovered that if he could love me through the ugly then he was worthy of having all my love in return.”

“I always knew he had a thing for you,” Cameron admitted.  “It was obvious.  I don’t know how you didn’t know.”

“The same way it was obvious to the world that you and Philip were madly in love with one another,” Nina countered.Cameron smiled but was clearly taken by Nina’s comment. 

“I guess you got me and Philip pegged.”

“Well,” Nina stated.  “When are you going to talk to him?”

“I spoke with him briefly today at his parent’s house,” Cameron answered.

“We’re going for a jog tomorrow morning.”

“Together,” Nina asked bemused.

“No.  We’re going to meet in between our houses and then run in the opposite direction from each other.  Of course, we’re going to run together.”

“And talk, right?”

“In time,” Cameron replied.  She stared down at her watch and began to stretch and yawn.  “I’d better get going soon but I want you to open the box before I leave so I can explain.”

“I thought you’d never ask.”  Nina grappled with the box, trying her best to take it apart without ripping the pretty packaging.  She finally got everything undone and pried open the box with expectancy.  What could it be?  She removed the lid of the box and removed the gift wrapped in purple tissue paper.  “Is this a garter?”

“It’s your something blue.  I crocheted it.”  Cameron began placing her tennis shoes on and gathered up her belongings. 

“Do you remember that summer your grandmother taught us how to crochet and she made us those scarves?”

“Yeah, I still have my purple one.”

“Well, I took my blue one apart and made this for you.  I added some blue glass beads too.  So this can be your something old and blue.  Didn’t know if you had everything yet but thought I’d cover all basis just in case.”

Nina was on the verge of crying.  “And this is why you are the best maid of honor again.”  She wrapped her arms around Cameron tight before pulling away and wiping a tear from her cheek. 

“And I think this will be the last time I get to be your maid of honor.”

“I think so too.  If this doesn’t work out with Greg I’m just gonna have to be by myself.  But something tells me everything’s gonna be alright for us,” Nina replied in joy and relief as she saw her friend out.  Perhaps things would work out for everyone after all.

Philip – 1997

The cafeteria was louder than usual because the weather was rather bad.  A storm was brewing outside, securing everyone inside during the lunch hour.  Philip sat on the table top laughing at Greg as he searched through his paper sack lunch.  He’d just had another dreadful encounter with Luther McCoy.

“Dude,” Philip began.  “Don’t worry about Luther.  He’s just a jerk.”

“What does Nina see in him,” Greg complained.  “I can’t believe she’s with him.”

“That won’t last long.  Nina’s a good girl and we all know that Luther doesn’t date girls that don’t put out.”

“They’ve been dating for like six or seven months now,” Greg said with concerned eyes.  “That’s a long time for a loser like Luther to go with out... you know.”

“I wouldn’t worry about it man,” Philip replied starting in on his apple sauce.  Mrs. Larson began her way towards the guys and Philip quickly moved from sitting on the table top to an actual chair.

“Mr. Stevens,” Mrs. Larson began.  “I don’t want to see you sitting on the table top again.  You hear me young man.”

“Sorry Mrs. Larson,” Philip answered with puppy dog eyes.  The teacher shook her head with a smile and sauntered off, twisting away, showing off her womanly curves.  This power he had over women was really starting to work for him or it could really get him in trouble.  He had been told that he was magnetic but in the last couple of months, he seemed to be able to get them to do anything he wanted with a simple smile and complimentary comment.

“She’s sleeping with him Philip,” Greg continued.  “She’s got to be.”

“No she’s not.  And there are plenty of fish.  Why are you so dead set on pining over Nina Devereaux because you’re not gonna ask her out?”

“Shut up,” Greg responded.  “I was planning on asking her out to prom as a matter of fact.”

“Really,” Philip asked, looking up in time to make eye contact with Cameron as she walked into the cafeteria.  She was probably doing some extra credit or tutoring.  She smiled in his direction and motioned that she’d be there shortly.

“Then do it,” Philip challenged.

“Oh, you’re one to talk Cam-o-meter.”

“You said you weren’t going to mention that ever in life and my situation with Cameron is way different than you and Nina.  She’s my best friend.  If and that’s a huge if, we were to get together, it could change the dynamic of our friendship.  I’m not willing to lose her because I’m in love with her.  I don’t want to scare her off.”

“Excuses,” Greg stated as he took a huge bite of his sandwich.  “I’m so ready for Christmas break.”

“Me too,” Erin Collins replied as she made a seat for herself in front of Philip. 

“Are you guys going anywhere for Christmas?”

“Nope,” Greg replied.

“How about you Philip,” she pried, acting as if she couldn’t get her milk carton open.  It was this new thing she started doing to get some interaction out of Philip.  He obliged and took the carton from her, slipping it open with ease. 

“I’m going to Mississippi the week after Christmas to visit my mom’s parents,” he answered pushing her milk carton back towards her.

“Cool,” she replied with a smile.  She took a hair scrunchie out of her purse and began to pull her long, thick and curly hair into a ponytail, stacking it high on top of her head.  A few tendrils danced around her neck, as she played with the strands, wrapping them seductively around her index finger. 

“Oh,” Erin said, reaching across the table.  “You’ve got a little something on your face.” She brushed her thumb across his chin and placed her fingers in her mouth.  Philip wrinkled his nose at the gesture and darted his eyes towards Greg.

“No napkins,” she answered as an explanation.

“Thanks,” Philip responded, still confused.  They sat a little longer in silence before Erin started to shiver in her seat a bit.

“Do you guys mind if I sit on that side with you,” Erin asked.  “It’s a bit drafty by this window.”

“Sure,” Greg replied looking at Philip for confirmation.  Philip shrugged and started in on his sandwich.  Erin made it her business to sit closer to Philip than Greg, which made him a little uncomfortable.  She had been hinting that she was interested in him since she got there but this was a bit too much.  She was too forward for his taste.  He really believed that guys should court girls, not the reverse but a lot of the girls their age were jumping on the independent, I can ask guys out if I want train.  Just as he shuffled a little to his right, providing more space in between them, Erin pulled out a huge piece of what looked like triple chocolate cake, a favorite of Philip's.

“Would you like a bite,” Erin asked with a deceitful smile.  She knew the way to a man’s heart was food and Philip just couldn’t say no to triple chocolate cake.

“Sure,” he responded and she instantly lifted up a forkful to his mouth.  The cake was so moist it began to melt in his mouth as soon as it touched his tongue.

“Hmm,” Philip replied, “That’s delicious.”

“Family recipe,” Erin answered sweetly.  “I’ll bring you your own slice tomorrow if you want.”

“That would be great,” he said, distracted by Cameron leaving the cafeteria in his peripheral.  He turned his attention back towards Greg and Erin.  “I should get going.  I gotta get my trig book out of my locker.  See you guys later.”  

He abruptly leaped from his seat, dumped his trash and rushed out the double doors towards Cameron.

Cameron – 1997

She’d been in the cafeteria a whole five minutes when she spotted Erin sitting down with Philip and Greg.  Cameron wasn’t feeling too hot about befriending the new girl.  Erin seemed to be staking her claim in something that didn’t belong to her, namely Philip.  She followed him around like a lost puppy, cheered as loud as she could when he scored touchdowns during football games and laughed as loud as she could at all his jokes, even the corny ones.  It also didn’t help her case with Cameron when a rumor that she had slept with John Davenport after being there only three weeks surfaced and circulated around the school like wild fire.  At first Cameron came to her defense but slowly Cameron saw actions that seemed to solidify the story as truth.  Worst of all, Cameron didn’t want Philip to fall prey to Erin Collin’s siren call.

As soon as Cameron left the lunch line and began her beeline to the boys she saw Erin look over her shoulder, spotting her as she made her way towards the group.  Erin immediately got up from her seat and walked around the table, nestling herself in between Philip and Greg.  Cameron stopped in her tracks and stared, finding a seat at a nearby table.  She sat down and began picking at the vegetables on her tray, studying Erin the vixen as she flirted with Philip.  Cameron’s Philip.  She could feel herself begin to run hot and thought that if she didn’t get out of there soon, she’d atom bomb the whole cafeteria.  Just as she finished her drink, she reluctantly looked up again to find Erin feeding Philip something and she seethed with envy and hatred for the girl.  Who did she think she was? Cameron quickly stood and snatched up her tray, speed walking out of the cafeteria.  Why did she do this to herself? Why did she allow herself to feel for Philip this way, when it was obvious he didn’t feel the same.  Tears stung her eyes as she flew through the double doors and down the hall towards her locker. 

“Cam,” Philip’s voice echoed down the hall. She looked up just as she approached her locker and quickly turned away, trying her best to quickly dispose of the tears flowing down her cheeks. 

“Yeah,” she replied, turning her attention towards him as he stood beside her, leaning against the lockers.  She stared into his bright brown eyes, refusing to let go of his gaze.

“You alright,” he asked, really concerned.  “I thought you were gonna come and sit with us and then you left without saying anything to us.”

“I have a lot to do,” Cameron’s voice almost broke.  She was about to cry in front of him because she felt betrayed.  But why? Philip didn’t belong to her no more than Nina belonged to Greg.

“Have you been crying,” he asked sliding in between her and her locker.

“Why would I be,” she replied, looking down at her hands.  She was fidgeting and didn’t know what to do with them, so she crossed them over her chest.

“Because you’re doing your defensive pose,” Philip said staring back at her with such intensity.

She rolled her eyes and pushed him aside, trying not to let him know how much he affected her.  “It’s allergies, duh.”

“Allergies, huh,” Philip asked.  “Well, you need to take something for that.  You don’t want everyone around here to think you're soft do you?”

“Shut up.”

“I’m just saying, we can’t let everyone know that you’re not so hardcore.  They have to keep the fear.”

“You’re terrible,” she said patting his chest and he grabbed a hold of her tiny hand, holding it tightly in his own.  It took her by surprise but she didn’t pull away, allowing him to hold on to her.

“You ready for Christmas break,” he asked, holding her hand flat against his chest, just above his heart.  She could feel his heart begin to race as she spoke.

“Yeah,” she answered simply.

“Me too,” he replied.  “We still on for our annual Christmas movie marathon, right?”

“Of course,” she said with a slight smile.  “I wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

“Good,” Philip said, stroking his fingers up and down Cameron’s hand and arm.






Chapter End Notes:

Sorry for the extended delay.  I've been busy but I've been writing here and there trying to get through this story.  My hope is to have it completed in ten chapters and we're now at chapter five and I'm about half way through editing chapter six.  My hope is to have that up by the end of the week.  I will reply to reviews all this coming week, probably not all at once and thanks so much for reading and responding.  I'd also like to send a big thank you to the person who suggested Possibly Maybe as a recommended story for the site.  I really appreciate that and would love to thank whoever you are personally! :)

-Nicole







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.