Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter Six

 

Philip – Summer 2011

Tossing and turning all night, Philip anxiously awaited his run with Cameron.  He wasn’t sure what to expect, if she would receive him with open arms or act as if she were repulsed by him.  He woke up at the crack of dawn and drank almost a half a gallon of water before going into the backyard shed to lift a few weights and perform a hundred or so crunches.  He was in better shape than he was in high school and knew his physique had sent Cameron into a little tizzy the day before.  She couldn’t keep her eyes from roaming over his broad shoulders and slick muscled abdominals.  He glanced at himself in the mirror hanging on the door and smiled.  How could she resist this, he mentally asked himself and then reality struck him like lightning.  This was Cameron he was talking about and she wasn’t easily impressed with superficiality.

The small clock chimed at exactly six o’clock and he grabbed his t-shirt, put it on and made his way out of the front door and down the street to Cameron’s parent’s house.  She was already on the porch, stretching, her backside facing him and Philip almost turned around to go back home, instantly stirred by the sight.  She must have gotten a glance of him, as she sprung up from her stretch and gave him a slight smile.

“Good morning,” she spoke low, sleep still in her voice.  She wore running tights and a razor back tank top.  Her hair was pulled back in a ponytail and a baseball cap covered her head.

“Mornin’,” he replied, making his way up the walk way slowly.  “You ready to go?”

“Always,” she replied jumping up and down, loosening herself up Philip supposed.  She used to do that when they were younger.  She made her way down the steps toward him and they easily got in step, beginning a light jog towards the park as their warm up.

They didn’t speak for the first five minutes of their run and Philip wondered what was going through her mind.  Staring down at his shoes he decided there was no need to wonder.  He had her right here so why not attempt to break the ice.

“So,” he began.  “I saw your mom and dad a couple of days ago.  Mrs. Esme asked me if I’m still speaking French, in French of course.”

“That sounds like her,” Cameron spoke looking in his direction.  “Well, are you?”

“Actually, I am.  I do some translations for some of the French athletes we interview for stories or at events.  It’s a handy little tool, being bilingual.”

“Really,” Cameron asked amused.  “C'est incroyable.”

“It is pretty amazing,” Philip said with a smile. 

“Nina told me you were a sports writer,” Cameron chimed in without looking up.  She seemed to be somewhat concentrating on her pace.

“Yeah,” he replied trying to keep his eyes focused on his heel-toe strike, though that was almost impossible.  All his eyes wanted to do was roam back toward Cameron.  Even her profile was beautiful.

Noticing that he didn’t know exactly what Cameron’s occupation was, Philip began to pry, “So what have you been up to?”

“Um, I work for an advertising firm in Chicago.  I get to come up with ideas to sell products based on generalizations and judgments,” Cameron said with a fake plastered smile before continuing.  “Some would say it is the perfect job for me.”

“And exactly why would they make that assumption and say that,” Philip asked, giving her all his attention.

“Being a PK and all.  People always thought I was... you know, perfect and didn’t do any wrong, therefore most people assumed my station in life gave me the right to look down on everyone with judgment.”

“You’re as judgmental as the next person Cam,” Philip said.  “We all pass judgments.”

Cameron laughed.  “I know but it was different for me.  I was expected to act and carry myself a certain way and I totally passed judgment all the time but mostly in my mind.  I was so critical of others sometimes and yet thought I was missing out on all the naughty things high school kids did.  A part of me wanted to rebel and lash out but I didn’t... well.  I... you know.”

“We don’t have to talk about that,” Philip said noticing Cameron’s discomfort, he decided to change the subject.  “So, has Nina been unbearable?”

“Aside from her inviting Erin Collins to their house yesterday, no.  She’s been sweet and surprisingly grounded.  I really think Greg’s excellent for her.  He’s so down to earth and unassuming.  She needs that, I think.  With Greg, what you get is what you get.”

“True,” Philip remarked.  A long pause ensued as they continued on their path before he opened his mouth to speak again, the question most plaguing his mind left without a second thought.  “So, are you seeing anyone... back in Chicago?”

As soon as the words left his mouth, he felt his heart begin to race a little faster, nervous about what her response would be.  He studied her body, which instantly became rigid and postured and he could see her mind reeling, though she spoke no words for a long time.

“Actually,” she began slowly.  “I just got out of a relationship.”  Abruptly, she turned her head and stared at Philip, peering into his soul with her dark eyes.   He knew what question was coming next and mentally prepared himself for the answer.  “What about you? Breakin’ hearts or stealing the breath away with your charming southern ways,” she drawled out the last part in her best Louisiana accent.

To an unknowing person, that question would seem harmless.  Maybe even a little playful, but Philip knew better.  It was a jab and a little insight into what was eating away at his relationship with her.  The inflection in her voice when she said breakin’ was the indicator.  She felt slighted by him but he honestly didn’t know why.  At least he thought he didn’t know why.

“Um,” he started cautiously.  “Not anything serious.  You know, just a bunch of first dates.”

“Hmm,” Cameron uttered.  “Must be nice.”  And then they were both silent.

Philip listened intently to nature as Cameron hastened her pace.  They were speaking, holding an actual civil conversation and right now that was good enough for him.

Cameron was quick and seemed to run effortlessly, her breathing regular and her stride long and even.  Her beauty exuded from the inside out as he studied her profile, keeping up with her step for step.  Her ponytail swished from side to side and perspiration began to form and collect all over her flushed brown skin.  She was perfect even in her current state of exhaustive exercise.  Before they realized it, they had ran about two and half miles and started to slow their pace down to a fast cool down walk.  They ended near a bench and began to stretch out together.  Cameron voluntarily gripped Philip’s hands and pulled them behind him, stretching out his pecs and upper arms.  Just like old times.  He obliged and did the same for her.  She smiled when he released her arms and turned to look at him.

“I’m surprised you kept up, even when I quickened my pace.  I guess you do run every day.”

“You doubted me,” he asked walking towards a water fountain.

“I guess I did,” she answered, following behind him to get herself a sip of water.  As he turned around he accidently bumped into her, causing her to lose her balance.  He reached out to catch her and lost his footing as well and found themselves on the ground, their arms and legs intertwined. 

“You okay,” Philip said, slipping his hands behind Cameron’s head, studying her face.  She stared back at him in shock before bursting into laughter.

“I can’t believe we just fell,” Cameron managed through her cackling.  “How clumsy can we get?”

Still in shock, Philip helped her up, studying every inch of her body to make sure she was okay.  Scanning the length of her legs, he spotted a trickle of blood trailing down her right leg and found its source.  She must have cut it against a sharp rock or something.

“You’re bleeding,” he said, forcing her to sit on the bench.  She was still laughing hysterically, perhaps to mask her embarrassment.  “You don’t have to keep laughing.  I’m the reason we fell and why you hurt yourself.”

“You don’t find that we both fell humorous?”

“Not really,” Philip said examining her leg.  He took off his shirt and ripped the sleeve off with ease.  Cameron’s laughter slowly ceased as he began to wrap her leg with his shirt.  He looked up to find her dark eyes staring down at him and he smiled.  After dressing her wound he searched for her hat and found it, dusting it on his shorts before placing it back on her head.

“Can you walk,” he asked stepping back from her.  “Stand up,” he commanded and she obliged, limping a little.  “Are we too far for you to walk back?”

“I’m fine,” Cameron said as she took a few more steps, wincing just enough for Philip to notice.

“Aww,” he spoke.  “You’re such a bad liar.  Always have been.”

He stalked towards her and lifted her up off the ground and cradled her in his arms.  It took her by surprise but she didn’t resist, only giggled as her already flushed cheeks begin to fill with more color.  Philip began slowly towards their neighborhood, making sure he had a good grip on Cameron.

She wrapped her arms around his neck, anchoring her secure position in his arms.  Philip inhaled deeply as they trudged forward, taking in the smell of her, gardenia, just like when they were younger. 

“You’re not really going to carry me all the way back home, are you,” Cameron questioned, leaning her head against his shoulder.  He loved having her right there and wished that he didn’t have to let her go.

“I most certainly am,” he responded, laying the southern drawl on thick and intentionally.  With a smile on his face, he continued on his path towards home, Cameron snuggly braced in his arms.

Cameron – Summer 2011

“After taking off his shirt, he ripped a piece of it off, wrapped it around my wound and then he carried me all the way home from the park,” Cameron said breathily as Nina listened intently to her every word.

“And then he took you up to his old bedroom and you two got it on like a pair of high schoolers,” Nina added with a devilish smile.

“No,” Cameron frowned.  “He took me to his house and properly dressed my wound. Which is fine.  I didn’t really need him to carry me back home but it was nice being in his arms.”

“He’s always been an undercover sweetie, especially with you.”

“Yeah, well.  Maybe not always,” Cameron replied thinking about the past.

“Are you gonna talk to him about what’s been ailing you?”

Cameron bit down on her lip, “Why mess with a good thing? We’re talking aren’t we?”

“But things aren’t completely mended are they,” Nina piped up as she started making her next centerpiece.

“No they are not,” Cameron admitted.  “But I like the way things are right now.  Not complicated and right now that’s alright with me.” If she acted like everything was fine, perhaps it actually was.

“But don’t you think you owe it to him to know why you were so angry when you first ran into him? I don’t even know the full story and you used to tell me everything.”

“I will tell him when I’m ready and you’re butting in-“

“I’m sorry Cam, it’s just that I can see this turning into something really bad if you don’t just lay all your cards out on the table.”

“Nina,” Cameron started.  “I got this under control.”

The two friends sat in silence a little longer wrapping up the last of the center pieces.  Maybe she’d find some time later on today to talk to Philip.  Perhaps he really didn’t really remember what happened between the two of them and Nina was right, keeping her frustration in wouldn’t be good. 

“I think I will talk to him... today,” Cameron broke the silence.

“Talk to who today,” Greg asked as he walked into the kitchen, Philip and Max trailing shortly behind him.

Cameron looked up and instantly made eye contact with Philip, her heart beating a hundred miles per hour just being in the same room as him.  Shortly after the guys entered the kitchen, Erin eased her way towards the doorway frame.  Cameron saw Erin and immediately glanced back at Nina, asking with a look if this was another set up to mend a lost friendship.  Nina only shrugged and bugged her eyes as if she had no clue.  Cameron believed her.

“Ladies,” Greg announced as the four of them stood in front of Cameron and Nina.  “How about a break from the wedding stuff, with a game of touch football? Shirts versus skins? Like old times.”

Cameron hopped up and shook Greg’s hand.  “You’re on and we’re gonna whoop ya’lls tails.”

Philip stepped forward and gently cupped Cameron’s elbow, “You sure you’re ready with your injury and all?”

Cameron chuckled.  “I’m no longer injured thanks to you.  I’ll be fine and I need a break.”

He didn’t let go of her elbow but gave her the okay with a nod of his head.

“Just let us get appropriately dressed for the spanking we’re about to lay on you fellas,” Nina said before smacking Greg on the bottom and rushing upstairs with Cameron.

“Are you alright that Erin’s here,” Nina whispered once they made it up to the top landing of the staircase.

“As long as she stays out of my way and doesn’t say anything rude or crazy we’re fine.”

“Don’t hit her Cameron,” Nina said with worried eyes.  “You’re not gonna hit her are you?”

“No,” Cameron exclaimed.  “Why would I hit her?”

“Because she tried to take Philip from you in high school.”

“Philip and I never dated in high school.  How was she going to steal something that never belonged to me?”

“I’m just saying.  You look like you wanted to choke her out yesterday.”

“I did but I restrained the need to cut off her oxygen supply.”

“Wow, that’s like mob talk,” Nina said with a smirk.  “Remind me never to get on your bad side.”

“Noted,” Cameron said as she pulled on her tank top and strapped on her tennis shoes.

The two descended down the stairs and made their way towards the back yard where everyone resided.  Erin was standing next to Philip and he laughed at something she said just as Nina and Cameron stepped outside.  Cameron felt herself retreat back to the jealous hearted smitten high school girl she once was and began counting backwards from ten to calm her nerves.

Ten...

Nine...

Eight...

Seven... Did she just try to grab Philip’s hand? Concentrate Cameron!

Six...

Five...

Four... Oh no she’s not doing the hair flip and giggle move! How audacious?

Three...

Two...

One...You got this under control Cameron.  You got this. 

“Alright,” Cameron started.  “Let’s rock and roll fellas.”

She sauntered past Philip and winked as she made her way further into the back yard.

Philip mouthed to Max, “She’s fast, she’s fast,” and pointed towards Cameron.  “Stay on her, man,” he finally yelled out just as Erin snapped the ball to Nina.  Cameron took off like lightning into left field and Nina immediately spotted her.  A perfect spiral landed in Cameron’s hands as she took off towards the goal.  As girly as Nina was, she was actually quite an amazing athlete.  The girl had an arm like Tom Brady.

“Score,” Cameron yelled as she flung the ball in the air and started doing the snake. 

“That’s alright,” Philip yelled as he made his way towards Max.  He whispered something in Max’s ear and the two switched positions. 

“Oh,” Cameron began her banter.  “So we’re gonna make this like old times, huh?”

“I could keep up with you then and I can keep up with you now Austin,” Philip rebuked, grinning at her.

The ball snapped and Max ended up getting ambushed by Nina and Erin.  He ran as fast as he could, trying to fake the girls out, looking for an opening to get rid of the ball before they got him.  He saw Greg running up the center and lobbed the ball in the air for him to catch.  The ball looked like it was headed towards Erin and Cameron tried to break to keep Philip from pursuing the ball but he got a slight head start, leaped in the air, grabbed the ball before it even made it to Erin and hauled butt towards the guy’s goal.

“We should have had that Erin,” Cameron yelled.  “You were wide open.”

“Sorry,” Erin apologized, a bit of attitude coming through.  “It’s just a game.”

“If it’s just a game then why are you even playing? Better yet, why are you here,” Cameron asked, arms crossed.

“Max invited me,” Erin answered honestly.  She and Cameron both turned their attention to Max who looked to Greg and Philip for back up.

“Fine,” Cameron said and took her position once more.  She was pissed and was sure she wasn’t masking her distaste for the current company.  Philip reached out and grabbed her shoulder.

“Be nice Cam,” he spoke, staring into her eyes.

“Whatever,” Cameron responded childishly.  “Let’s just play.”

Erin snapped the ball to Nina who reversed and handed the ball back to Erin in a trick play.  Erin was halfway down the yard before the guys even noticed, scoring yet another touchdown for the girls.

“Pure luck,” Cameron uttered under her breath.  Philip gave her this look of disapproval and headed away from the guys goal.  Apparently she was quiet enough. 

Greg got in position and snapped the ball to Philip, who ran the ball about three yards, Nina tagging along side him the whole time.  He saw Greg out of his peripheral and lobbed the ball in his direction.  Before it reached him, Cameron intercepted and came crashing past Max at sonic speed, looking back with a smirk on her face.  And then it happened.  Out of nowhere she hit the ground hard.  Rolling over onto her back she looked up and found Erin, towering over her, loose strands of her perfect spiraled hair poking about.  Cameron quickly came to her feet, steam exiting from every open crevice in her body, and got in Erin’s face.

“Why’d you trip me,” Cameron said through gritted teeth.

“It was an accident,” Erin gritted back.  “You weren’t paying attention and you tripped over my foot.”

“Bull,” Cameron hollered.  “Why would your foot be in my path?”

“You can’t blame me because you’re a klutz,” Erin said crossing her arms over her chest.  “Maybe if you weren’t showboating, you wouldn’t have ended up with dirt and grass all over you.”

And that’s when Cameron happened.  She stepped back a good two feet before lunging towards Erin but didn’t quite reach her, as she was scooped up quickly by strong arms.

“I said it was an accident,” Erin called out again as Philip drug Cameron away.

“Go to hell,” Cameron yelled in return as Philip let her go.

“What has gotten into you,” Philip asked.

Cameron only rolled her eyes and started to head back towards Erin, her steps long and swift but not fast enough.  Philip grabbed her by the waist once more and pulled her away from the group.

“Put me down,” Cameron demanded through gritted teeth. 

“No,” Philip replied calmly.  “Now get in the shed.”

“What,” Cameron asked puzzled, trying to pry his arm from around her waist.  “I’m not going in the shed.”

“Get in the shed,” he replied again, still calm but much more firm.  He let her go and blocked her path back to Erin.  She peered around him and saw Max, Greg and Nina surrounding Nina, obviously getting her side of what just happened.

“I’m so serious right now,” Philip said, standing with his arms across his bare chest.  “Get in the damn shed.  We need to talk.”

Cameron knew that look all to well, he furrowed his brows excessively when he was ticked off.  But she didn’t do anything.  Erin tripped her on purpose and now she was going to get reprimanded for defending herself.

“Fine,” Cameron agreed reluctantly but she wasn’t one to get lectured.  Philip had another thing coming if he thought he was going to scold her on sportsmanship.

He opened the door, allowing her entrance before he entered himself.  He secured the door closed and faced her, staring at her with confused eyes.

“What,” Cameron asked forcefully.

“That,” Philip began, “wasn’t about her tripping you or you falling, was it?”

“What are you trying to get at Philip? Just say what you want to say or ask what you want to ask.”

He moved in closer to her forcing her to back into an old work bench.

“Are you alright,” he asked examining her body for additional cuts or bruises.  This was his not so blatant approach to getting information out of Cameron.

“Oh, like you’re really concerned,” she asked crossing her arms over her chest defensively.  “I’m fine.  No more visible bruises or cuts for you to heal, Superman,” she spoke in her damsel in distress voice.

“Fine,” Philip replied.  “You wanna play this game.  Let’s play the damn game Cam.  Why do you hate Erin so much and more importantly how does this play into our relationship?”

His question caught her off guard and she wasn’t sure if she should just walk away or nail him against the wall with the crap they went through years ago.  Did he really not remember?

“This,” Cameron started.  “Always coming to poor Erin’s defense.  Always putting her first.”

“What are you talking about,” Philip asked, seriously confused.  “When have I ever put anyone before you?”

“Oh, so the wasted years have finally given you amnesia, Philip? You can’t recall a time when I needed you and you weren’t there or when you left Philip without saying goodbye.”

“But I did say goodbye Cameron,” he said looking even more confused, he started to rub his temples.  “I don’t understand.”

“Then I guess you never will.  This conversation is over,” Cameron said trying to get past him but he blocked her path with his body and leaned against the door.

“I’m not letting you outta hear until we get to the bottom of your shitty attitude towards me.”

“Then I guess we’re gonna be in here for a while because I’m not talking about this right now,” Cameron said trying to push Philip aside to get out but he grabbed her arms and pulled her into his sweaty body, staring down at her, leaning in to touch his lips to hers. 

The kiss wasn’t subtle and sweet but hard and possessive.  He swept his tongue along her full bottom lip before biting down ever so slightly, tasting every bit of her mouth.  He slowly released his grip on her arms and the dangled by her side as he backed her up against the workbench once more, towering over her.  His hands slid up her arms and encompassed her neck as the kiss became more gentle and sweet.  Cameron could feel herself getting lost in his mouth but even moreso in him.  Gaining some willpower she pulled her hands up and placed them on his chest pushing him away, a small tear streaking down her face.

She looked up at Philip and slowly shook her head, “Not again, Philip. I refuse to go through this again with you.”  She quickly got past him, swinging the shed door open with force and ran back towards Nina and Greg’s house, leaving Philip alone to contemplate the dissension of their relationship.  It was then that he really realized part of why Cameron felt the way she felt after all these years.  But there was obviously more he had no idea about.

 






Chapter End Notes:

Thanks again for all of your wonderful words and feedback.  As always I appreciate it! The big reveal about Cam and Philip's woes are about to come in the next chapter so YAY for that.  I hope you enjoy this chapter and the remaining chapters, as we are nearing the end.  I am immensely enjoying writing this story and the interaction between author and reader.  If it were not for an audience I would have no one to tell my story to, so again many thanks for supporting this story.

-Nicole :)







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.