Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter Seven

 

 

Philip – 1997 (Christmas Break)

“There’s no better holiday movie than ‘Christmas Vacation’,” Philip spoke aloud, removing the VHS cassette from the VCR.  The den was warm and smelled of cinnamon and sugar.  A nice glow from the fireplace cast dark contrasting shadows across the faces of Philip’s guest, as they lounged around waiting to watch the next film.  “It’s classic.”

“I beg to differ,” Nina replied, her nose turned up in disapproval as her legs swung freely over the arm of the oversized recliner and she indulged in the last bite of her sugar cookie.  She slapped her hands clean of any remaining fragments of cookie crumbs and sugar in the manner of a proper and quite frankly spoiled southern debutante.  “It’s funny but the best, I don’t think so.  That title should go to a true classic like... ‘It’s A Wonderful Life’ or ‘Miracle on 34th Street’... those are true classic Christmas movies.”

“What,” Greg countered.  “’It’s A Wonderful Life’ is like ten million years old and not to mention they show three people of color, in which only one has actual lines in the way of the court jester.”

“Here we go,” Nina rolled her eyes in agitation.

 “They act like we don’t exist in their world and when we do we’re the servant or entertainer or the crazy Asian who ‘speek fun-nee’ and butchers the English language.”  He turned to Phillip and shrugged.  “No offense man.”

“None taken,” Philip replied with a smile and a shake of his head.  Greg, ever the activist and yet most of his close friends looked nothing like him, though truly there weren’t any other Korean families in their town that weren’t directly related to the Sohn’s.

“I prefer the ‘Grinch Who Stole Christmas’,” Cameron added as she kicked off her sneakers and reclined on the sofa.  “Dr. Seuss is a master at his craft.”

“You would prefer that movie,” Philip said lifting Cameron’s jean clad legs to sit underneath them.

“So,” Greg began, stuffing his face with a couple more warm, freshly baked from scratch sugar cookies Nina and Cameron made, “What are we watching next?”

Nina stood up and began to stretch, standing erect and on the tips of her toes.  “We’re not watching anything Gregory.  You’re taking me home.”

Greg frowned.  “Where’s your car? I thought it was like permanently attached to you,” he mimicked.  “You and the Eclipse are one, right?  That’s what you told me in Physics two weeks ago.”

“I spent the night at Cam’s and my dad took my car in for a maintenance check, now get off your scrawny butt and  fire up that old, rusty Honda Accord of yours.  It needs to be warm when I get in... okay,” she said with a smile.  “Oh and we’ll need to stop by the mall on the way there? I still have to pick up a gift for my nana.”

Greg’s mouth dropped open in shock as his brow furrowed in disbelief and frustration.  Philip leaned over to the recliner Greg sat in and tapped him under his chin.  “You’d better go.  She might find a way to sue you.  You know how lawyer’s daughters can be.”  He leaned in a little closer and whispered in Greg’s ear.  “You know she and Luther are off.  Here’s your chance man.”

Greg turned and looked at Philip with a slight smirk on his face and a shake of his head.  “Alright Nina,” Greg answered as he leapt up from his seat, still smiling at his best friend.  “How about we go now and I’ll treat you to a latte.  Will that suffice for warmth?”

“That’ll do just fine,” she replied in her buttery southern belle voice as she buttoned up her gray pea coat and slipped on gloves over her long thin and freshly manicured fingers.

“See ya later,” Greg said while Nina only offered a wave and lead them out of the den.

“I’m gonna go lock the door,” Philip said to Cameron before disappearing from the den himself.  By the time he made it to the door, Greg and Nina were already in the car, securing themselves in before pulling off.  Greg honked his horn and Philip waved as they sped away.

Trekking back towards the den, he found himself warm and flush all over.  Perhaps it was the fire but in reality he knew what was causing the heat rush.  It was just him and Cameron.  Alone.  His parents and brother went to visit his aunt Marnie in Shreveport for the weekend and he was left to man the fort.  The moment some of the guys from the football team realized he was parent free they tried their best to convince him to throw a party but Philip shut the notion down without hesitation.  This was the second year his parents left him home alone and he wanted nothing more than to continue to have their trust. 

Plopping down on the floor next to a lounging Cameron, Philip began to sift through a stack of video tapes in search of the next Christmas movie they’d watch.  Deciding on three he held them up and called out the names for Cameron to choose.

“Alright,” he started.  “We’ve got Home Alone, While You Were Sleeping or The Nightmare Before Christmas?”

“Oh,” Cameron began as she sat up and took the tapes from Philip.  “Too many good choices here.”  She pondered a bit more, scanning the covers of each video tape before making her decision. 

Philip couldn’t help but stare at Cameron while she contemplated which movie they’d watch next.  Something about the way she looked made his body warm all over.  It was her hair.  She almost never straightened it but decided to do so tonight.  It flung freely around her face and draped her shoulders in a manner Philip could only deem as sexy.

“How about While You Were Sleeping,” Cameron answered with a question.

“I thought you might pick that one.  Sandra Bullock and Bill Pullman it is,” he said with a smile as he took the tape from her and made his way to the television set.  Quickly, he placed the tape in the VCR and made his way back to the floor in front of Cameron.

She slid herself on the floor next to him and pulled a blanket over their laps before taking a couple of cookies off of the platter.  She bit into one and handed one to Philip without looking at him, her eyes glued to the previews as if this wasn’t her one hundreth time seeing them.

About forty-five minutes into the movie, one of Cameron’s favorite scenes was up and she was cackling at Joe Jr.’s appearance on the screen.  Philip looked over at her and saw a few tiny specs of sugar and cookie crumb hanging on to the side of her bottom lip.  He lifted his hand to wipe it away but hesitated and stalled, the motion causing Cameron to turn and look at him.  He tried to play it off by resting his arm behind her on the sofa cushions but the awkwardness of it all made him uncomfortable and made Cameron laugh.

“What are you doing,” she asked glaring at him.  He could see little sparks of cinder reflected in her eyes as she stared at him.  Utterly captivated by the glow of the fire light captured in the dark of her irises, he could not tear himself away.

He chuckled and bit down on his bottom lip.  “You have-” he started but thought it foolish to just tell her, so he decided to go ahead and swipe his thumb across her bottom lip, “sugar and cookie crumbs on your lip.”

“Greedy much,” she said taking it upon herself to check for additional cookie crumbs on and around her mouth.  “How embarrassing?”

“It’s all good.  It’s just me,” Philip replied looking away from her reluctantly.  What was it about the light from the fire that made Cameron Austin look like a bronze encased goddess? He’d been having a hard time not staring at her all night and now that she was right beside him that was nearly impossible.  He literally had to fight himself to turn away from her.

“I still don’t want to look like a greedy fool... even if it is just you,” Cameron replied, breaking into his thoughts.  The way she looked at him made him uneasy and comfortable at the same time.  It was then at that very moment in all his eighteen years that Philip knew without a doubt that he was madly in love with Cameron Linette Austin.

“You don’t look like a fool.  I spill stuff on myself all the time,” he answered, trying to put her embarrassment at ease.  “Now, you are greedy.  I’ve never seen a girl put it away quite like you.”

“Shut up,” she said with a wrinkle of her nose while trying to punch him in the arm.  He caught her fist in his palm and squeezed tight while staring at her with raised eyebrows.

“I’m too quick for ya,” he replied with a smirk.  “You know I’m a Jedi”

“Whatever! No you’re not,” Cameron countered while she snuck her other hand out and began to tickle him.  “Didn’t see that comin’ did ya?”

He rolled onto his back and grabbed both of her hands, holding them tightly on his chest.  She tried her best to balance herself on her knees, straddling Philip’s body while maintaining her poise.

“Let go,” she said through laughter, fighting to get loose from his tight grip.

“No,” he gasped through giggles as she began to rock him back and forth from the floor to a fully seated position.  He continued to hold onto her hands but slowly began to loosen his grip.

“Let go,” Cameron shrieked again through giggles but he still held on to her as he came to be seated completely, Cameron still straddling him but now seated securely on his lap.  The rocking completely ceased and they stared at each other for a moment, their chuckling starting to dwindle.

“Fine,” Philip stated as he let go of her hands and before he knew it, his hands were wrapped around Cameron’s neck, drawing his lips to hers.  He couldn’t believe what he was doing but also couldn’t stop himself.  It was like there was a gravitational pull, forcing his lips to hers.  And surprisingly he was getting no resistance from Cameron.  She placed her hands over his and returned the kiss, as if she’d been longing for it herself.  The law of motion was in play at the moment.  For every action, there was an equal and opposite reaction.  In this case the reciprocation of a stolen kiss.

Philip mustered up enough willpower to pull himself away from Cameron and stared at her like a deer caught in headlights.  “I’m so sorry.”

“Don’t be,” Cameron replied, her fingers touching her swollen lips.  Within seconds, Cameron pounced Philip, forcing him back down on the floor as her mouth consumed his.  The will to cease was becoming increasing difficult as Philip ran his hands down Cameron’s back, ultimately ending at her backside.  Philip suddenly pulled himself away and stared up at her with his golden brown eyes, shocked and a little guilty about what just happened between them.  Cameron was his friend.  His best friend and now all of that would change because he was stupid enough to act on an impulse.

“Not like this,” he said to her, swallowing hard.  He pulled back and sat down in front of her, his head hanging low.  “This isn’t how your first time should be Cameron.”

“What,” she said sitting up, tucking her knees into her body as she wrapped her lanky arms around her legs.  “What do you mean?”

“I don’t think your first time should be like this,” Philip said.  “You deserve more than just sex.”

“Did I do something wrong, Philip,” she spoke low, like her voice was on the brink of breaking and that made him sad and very angry at himself.  Why did he have to kiss her? Why did he have to open this can of worms now?

“Not at all,” Philip answered.  “I just don’t want it to be like this.”

“Like what,” she questioned again.

“Like this is something we do regularly.  You’re not that girl.  No matter how much you want to be or think you should be Cameron, you’re not and I’m not gonna be the guy that just does it with you because I can.”

“Do you not want to do it with me,” she asked concerned.

He chuckled at the sheer ridiculousness of her statement.  He wanted nothing more than to be with her but he wanted it to be right and was willing to wait for the right time and opportunity. 

He moved in closer to her and wrapped his legs around her tiny body before lifting her head up to look at her face.

“I want and need you to know that you are worth waiting for the right time.  You’re not just some chick.  You’re my Cameron.”

“What if I said tonight was the right time,” Cameron countered with a question, her eyes staring into his with complete certainty that she was ready to do this.

He lifted her chin up and kissed her once more gently before she let loose and allowed his arms to cradle her body.  Scooping her into his arms, he came to his feet and carried Cameron upstairs to his bedroom where they made love for the first time.

Cameron 1997 (Christmas Break)

Cameron awoke to the warmth of Philip’s breath gently gliding across her shoulder, engulfed in his bare muscled arm.  Turning her head slowly to face him, she peeked through strands of her dark long hair, staring at her best friend.  Best friend.  The label rang loud and true in her head but they were much more than that now.  Had they really done it? The concept, the idea, Cameron couldn’t fathom but also couldn’t escape the reality that she indeed engaged in the act and with Philip none the less.

He was gentle and sweet and responsible through everything, making sure she was completely comfortable before they actually did anything.  Cameron could almost see the guilt in his eyes after he asked her an eighth time if she really wanted to do this.  She replied by removing her top.  If that wasn’t confirming enough, then she didn’t know what else could be. 

Philip did his best to set the mood, lighting candles and playing Sade on his stereo.  He pulled out some protection from his top drawer and then they carried on.

It was uncomfortable, awkward and painful but Cameron didn’t regret what she’d done.  Perhaps because it was with Philip.  She had always felt a bond with him but this moment in their relationship just sort of solidified it for her.  She felt like there was real love there and that they were destined to be together.

Philip’s eyes blinked heavily as he released his grip around Cameron’s thin body.  He pulled the covers further up her back and gently kissed her shoulder.

“You up,” he asked, as she stirred once his lips departed from her skin.  She turned to face him, sliding her hair from her face to behind her ear.

“Yeah,” she answered with a slight smile.

“Are you alright,” he asked concerned.

“Uh-huh,” she mumbled.

“You sure.”

She nodded and began to stroke the side of his face with the back of her hand.

“You know,” Philip began.  “If you don’t wanna do this anymore... no pressure.  We don’t have to.  I don’t want this to change things for us.”

“Are you saying you don’t want to do this again?”

“No, no, I just don’t want you to feel like we have to continue doing this if you don’t want to.  I would LOVE it if you wanted to do it again but it’s all up to you. Okay?”

His sweet consideration just made her want him even more and she leaned in for a quick kiss but he obviously felt the need to do otherwise as he pulled Cameron closer towards his body, wrapping his arms tight around her waist.  He rolled over onto his back, Cameron securely on top of his body and they made love once more as the break of daylight loosely filtered through the blinds in Philip’s bedroom.

Cameron – 1997 (Spring Semester)

An immediate blast of cool air accosted Cameron and Nina as they entered the girl’s locker room.  It was an unseasonably hot March day.  Nina was suiting up for swim practice and Cameron was dressing up for doubles practice with Cassidy Sloan, her new partner.  She was thrilled she wasn’t paired with dead weight like last year.  Karen Landers was a nice girl but a terrible tennis player.  Hustling after the ball was apparently something she wasn’t willing to do, leaving Cameron to almost man the entire court herself.  Two against one was never fun. 

Rummaging through their gym bags and lockers, the two friends made small talk, gossiping about who’s dating who at school and how they wanted to dress for prom.

“I’m thinking black,” Nina stated, admiring her figure in one of the many full length mirrors adorning the walls of the girl’s locker room.  “A sleek, black halter dress with a low cut back.  So classic.”

“I saw this awesome two piece,” Cameron added.

“A two piece?” Nina halted her examination of her shape and gave Cameron her undivided attention.  “What do you mean a two piece?”

“Not what you’re thinking,” Cameron explained.  “I saw it in an issue of Seventeen and I think I’m going to see if my mom can help me make it.  It was a cute off the shoulder top that showed a sliver of tummy and a full, almost tutu like skirt with glitter and sequins.  It was so fun and adorable.”

“And extremely girly... and definitely not you, so I thought,” Nina commented.  “So, the next big question is who are you going with?”

“I have no idea,” Cameron sighed with a slight smile, daydreaming of Philip asking her to prom.  She took the seat next to Nina on the bench, her tennis skirt and racer back tank top resting in her lap.  “I guess I’ll just have to be patient.”

“Whatever,” Nina said with a roll of her eyes.  “I have a feeling that Philip’s going to ask you out.”  She wrapped her large towel around her body and began to undress.  “You two have been even more cryptic and conjoined than ever.  Is there something going on between you two? And before you say I’m just tutoring him in math, I know that Philip’s passing with flying colors.  He doesn’t even really need your help.”

“We’ve just been hanging out,” Cameron answered honestly.  They had been hanging out quite a bit lately.  She just opted to leave out the fact that she and Philip were having sex almost every week.  “A lot.  Before we know it school will be done and we’ll all be at different schools and Philip’s going to visit his birth mom so...”

Cameron’s voice trailed off at this last bit of information and her eyes seemed to turn sad.

“Are you gonna go with him,” Nina inquired.

“I don’t,” Cameron took in a deep breath.  “I don’t know.  He hasn’t really asked me again and the last time he did, I kinda gave him the run around which ticked him off but it just seems odd that he wants me to go with him.  Don’t you think?”

“I think he really likes you and he wants you to meet his birth mom.” 

“But that’s like a really big deal, Nina.”  Cameron frowned.  What she really wanted to say was, what if the mom doesn’t like her?  What if the mom wants to spend time with him alone?   She hasn’t seen him since he was born.

“Well, think about it some more.”

“Believe me, it’s been haunting me more than I’d like to ever admit.”

“Speaking of dates, who are you going with,” Cameron asked.  “I hope you’re not going with Luther.  He’s such a jerk.”

“Yeah, well.  He’s been a jerk all of his life.”

“I know,” Cameron agreed.  “I bet he won’t mess with me again.”

“Girl, Luther’s not afraid of many people but he fears you.  Like, he’s been afraid of you since third grade.  What did you say to him to get Philip’s lunch money back?”

“I can’t remember.  Something off the hook I’m sure.”

“I think it’s also the fact that your dad is a preacher.  He thinks if he messes with you he’s going to Hell.”

Cameron giggled at the sheer stupidity of Luther’s thoughts. 

The girls pulled themselves together, dressed for their respective sports and continued to make small talk just as Erin Collins walked into the locker room.  Her face was pale white like she’d been spooked by a ghost.  Cameron opted to ignore her arch nemesis.  Erin Collins had one thing on her agenda, to get Philip but Cameron was well aware of her intrigues. 

No matter how hard she tried to ‘warn’ Philip about Erin, he seemed to have a soft spot for the girl, lecturing Cameron on being more open and accepting of Erin.  Yeah, she was a little odd but she was new and just trying to find her way in a new place according to Philip.  He constantly told Cameron to put herself in Erin’s shoes but in Cameron’s mind that would never happen.  Erin had ulterior motives and was willing to do whatever to get what she wanted.  Philip was her goal and Cameron and anyone else was an obstacle she was willing to take out.

Once Philip told Cameron she was paranoid and a little jealous, which totally upset her but held some truth.  She did fear Erin coming between them and as of late they were closer than ever.  Their friendly math tutoring meetings turned to hard core lip locking sessions with little studying.  They didn’t verbally declare that they were a couple but most certainly were acting like it.  They just kept everything under wraps from everyone.  Mostly to keep her dad at bay, since Cameron wasn’t allowed to date until she was eighteen, and her reputation in tact.  It was their little secret.

“Why so down Erin,” Nina asked, interrupting Cameron’s thoughts. 

Erin did appear to have a rather horror stricken look on her face as she approached the two girls.  She leaned in close which caused Cameron to retreat slightly.

Just above a whisper Erin spoke, “I’m pregnant.”

“What,” Nina exclaimed, her voice echoing off of the tiled walls.  “By who?”

“Shhh,” Erin pursed her lips and covered her mouth with her index finger.  “I don’t need the whole school to know.”

“Well,” Nina started whispering too.  “Who’s the father?”

“I -,” Erin began, her eyes welling up with tears.  “I don’t think I should say.”

“It’s me Erin,” Nina said.  “You can trust me.  Who is he? Were you raped? What?”

“No, it was consensual.”

“Just tell us who it is,” Cameron barked, intrigued by who it was.  Maybe now she and Philip would be in the clear.

“It might be Philip or George Hamiliton.”

Cameron’s eyes widened and she began to shake her head in disbelief.  “Excuse me, who?”

Erin leaned in closer and began to speak lowly.  “I said Philip or George.”

“Philip Who,” Cameron barked rather loud and abruptly.  “Rockmore?”

Erin rolled her eyes before she spoke again, “Stevens.”

“Bullshit,” Cameron hollered.

“Cam,” Nina said with a frown.  “Now you know you don't cuss.  Calm down.”

“No, I’m not going to calm down.  She’s lying on Philip.”

“How do you know,” Erin challenged.  “It’s not like you’re giving him the goods.  Are you with him during his every waking hour?”

And at that Cameron became silent.  Shut down because she couldn’t blurt out what she knew was true.  Yes she was sleeping with him and yes she was with him during his every waking hour, mostly.  But she couldn’t say a thing because no one could know about them.

Nina – Summer 2011

Yesterday Cameron blew up, walked away and wouldn’t return anyone’s phone call after they all filled her voice message mailbox with pleas and apologies.  She finally called Nina back this morning and sounded surprisingly chipper and happy, which in Nina’s mind was an indication that Cameron was about to set it off. 

But she was not going to let her set it off today.  No, tonight was the night the Sohn’s were throwing them a traditional Korean wedding rehearsal dinner.  Nina needed this night to go smoothly, as she was really trying to get back in the good graces of Mimi.  She didn’t exactly understand why Mimi didn’t like her.  Maybe it was because she didn’t know her or maybe Mimi was just racist.  The hell if Nina knew anything anymore but she did know one thing for sure, she was not going to allow anyone to ruin their rehearsal dinner. 

Planning from the moment she woke up that morning, Nina quickly, set their dining room up with her mother’s best linens and china.  Every place setting was arranged to perfection from left to right.  She then strategically planned where everyone would sit, careful not to sit Erin near Cameron or Philip and that Cameron and Philip were near each other but not next to each other or in each other’s direct eyesight.  Greg’s mother came about two hours early to complete the traditional Korean dishes that were going to be served, giving Nina ample time to clean herself up and prepare for the acceptance of their families and bridal party.

Mimi was the first to arrive, donning a beautiful midnight blue frock with matching ballet flats.  She appeared jovial, with a bright smile on her face, holding up a bag as Nina swung the front door open for her entrance.

“Here,” Mimi spoke, shoving the bag directly into Nina’s chest.

“Thank you Mimi,” Nina spoke through gritted teeth, her face wrinkled in frustration.  She spun around on her heels and faced Mimi, a fake plastic smile plastered on her raspberry stained lips.  “You shouldn’t have.”

“I shud hauv wha-?”

“No, no, Mimi.  It’s a common idiom.  Thank you but you didn’t have to bring a gift.”

“Whoo you caulll ideeot? I jus breeng gif fa you.  I caan tak back if you no wan,” Mimi snapped before turning around herself, progressing further through the house.  “Where Greg? I tole himm sheee not lik-us.  Rude,” Mimi spoke aloud.

“He’s in the kitchen with Ms. Sonia, Mimi,” Nina sound inhaling deeply, as her fiance emerged from the dinning room.  She looked at Greg with stern eyes and slid her index finger severely against her neck before pointing at Mimi.  Greg gestured with a slight nod of his head and mouthed ‘It’s alright baby’ before leaning down to give his grandmother a hug.  He pointed towards the kitchen and patted Mimi on the back before approaching Nina, taking the bag from her hand.

“This bag is heavy,” he said, placing it on the console table near the front door.  He turned back towards Nina and grabbed her hand before leaning in for a kiss.  “It’s just a few hours and then they’ll all be gone and we’ll have the house to ourselves again.”

“Mimi hates me and I don’t even know what I did for her to hate me so,” Nina complained.  “At least she said one word we could all understand clearly.  Rude,” Nina mimicked.

“It’s not you babe.  Mimi’s just overprotective of me.”

“She did not do that when Charles and Dina got married.”

“She doesn’t like Charles.  He use to only speak English to her on purpose when we were younger and it use to piss her off.  And if it’s any consolation she calls Dina ‘dat white ting.’  She doesn’t even refer to her as a person.  At least your a ‘blaack gall.’  I mean that’s hopeful, right?”

“No,” Nina said before rolling her eyes and crossing her arms over her chest.  Do you think I could get away with tawk lik funee ill will ashun ladee around her? Because I would totally do it and wouldn’t care.  I’d be like the evil grand-daughter-in-law version of a honey badger.”

“Because honey badger don’t care,” Greg said with a snap of his finger and roll of his neck.

“Hush your mouth,” Nina said with a laugh as she leaned in and kissed Greg on the cheek.

“We’ll get through this together.  Me and you, alright?  Even if I have to defy tradition and kick everyone out if they get out of line with you.”

“You’d do that for me,” Nina asked with a smirk on her face.

“For you, I would lasso the moon,” Greg answered, referencing one of Nina’s favorite movies ‘It’s A Wonderful Life.’  “By the way, I can’t wait to get you out of that dress.  You look great in it but better with it off.”  He began raising the roof and biting his lip just as the door bell rang.  Nina began to laugh and excused herself from Greg to answer the door.

She swung the door open and it was Philip but he wasn’t alone.  Cameron was waiting in the front yard a good distance away, her arms wrapped around her waist as she patiently waited... but for what.

“Hey,” Nina spoke, leaning in for a hug so she could get a better look at Cameron hanging out in the dark front yard.  She pulled herself away from Philip with a confused look on her face. “Is that-“

“Cameron,” Philip answered with a deep sigh.  “Yes.  We stood there for a good five minutes while I had a conversation with myself.”

“She’s not speaking,” Nina questioned.

“To me... again,” Philip responded.

“I’m gonna go talk to her,” Nina said flouncing past him through the door.

“And I’m gonna go find some bourbon,” Philip replied as he closed the door behind Nina and made his way to the kitchen.

Outside Nina met Cameron half way along the path to the front door. 

“Cute dress,” Nina said, admiring the halter dress Cameron adorned.  “Now before we proceed to go into the house, lets get one thing clear, you and I spoke for a long time this morning and we discussed that you would not hulk out on me or anyone else at this rehearsal dinner.  Now if you feel like you are gonna have hulk tendencies, then you best be on your way.”

“Nina,” Cameron spoke, agitated.  “Calm down.  I’m not gonna hulk out on anyone.”

“Then why did you just ignore Philip.”

“I’m a little embarrassed by my behavior yesterday and I just didn’t know what to say to him so I didn’t say anything at all.”

Nina scanned Cameron’s face and body language, scrutinizing and assessing if her words were true.  “I believe you.”

Nina placed a friendly arm around her friend’s shoulder and led her into the house. 

As soon as they entered the door they were accosted by Greg’s parents, Sonia and George, Mimi, Greg, Charles, Dina and Philip. 

“Well,” Nina started, taking Cameron’s hand bag from her to place in the guest bedroom.  “We’re only missing a few more guests and then we can get started with dinner.”  She walked passed Philip who was obviously transfixed on Cameron.  She really hoped nothing would go down tonight.

When she returned Mimi had Cameron in a warm embrace.

“Ahh, Cami.  You looka so pree-ty.  I don-no why you no like Greg.”

“No Mimi.  Greg’s just a great friend.  Besides I’m not Nina.  He’s always really cared about and love Nina.”

“Uh-huh,” Mimi responded curtly, just as Philip approached the two women, staying closer to Cameron’s side.

“Oh, Phil-lip.  Hansum yung-man.”  She scanned Philip and Cameron as they uncomfortably stood side by side.  “You too-gether, yes?”

Cameron inhaled deeply as if the question took her breath away and she desperately needed oxygen.  Philip offered a reply.  “No Mimi, we’re not together.”

Cameron abruptly turned towards Philip and looked him in the eyes before allowing her gaze to be forced in another direction.  “Excuse me Mimi,” Cameron replied as she made her way towards Dina and Charles.  Philip’s eyes trailed her every move as her presence moved away from him.

“You lik-her, no,” Mimi asked, moving in closer to Philip.

He looked at Mimi and smiled, “Very much.”

“Than go aff-ter her.  Sheee no wan no sof-man.  Cami need stroongg-man.  You, Phil-lip is stroongg-man.  Okay,” Mimi encouraged.  She patted him on the back and proceeded towards the kitchen.

Greg approached Nina who leaned against the door frame that lead down the hall to their guest bedroom.

“What are you thinking,” Greg asked snaking his arms around her waist.

“Do you see the way Philip is looking at Cameron,” Nina spoke.  “It’s like a longing.  I can’t believe those two never did anything when we were in school.  And by the way, Mimi is beastly.  Did you see that heffa talking to Cameron like they were the best of buds?”

“First of all, Cameron practiced speaking English with Mimi after school everyday our freshman year of high school, so cut her some slack.  They have history.  And don’t call her a heffa.  She doesn’t need to add additional slang terms to her arsenal of words.  Secondly, Philip and Cameron did sleep together in high school.”

Nina turned to face her fiance with bulging eyes, “What? No way.”

“Yeah, way,” Greg answered.  “Philip swore me to secrecy.  I thought you’d known by now.”

“You’re not joking,” Nina replied again, still stunned at this news.

“Nope,” Greg answered.  “They had to keep it hush, hush because of Cameron being a PK and her dad and stuff but they were totally getting it on during the spring semester of our senior year.”

“Wow,” Nina said stunned.  “And she never once said a thing to me about it.  Not even after we got older.”

“Well,” Greg answered.  “In her defense, baby... and don’t take this wrong way but it’s the truth.  You can’t hold water.”

Nina turned to look at Greg with ‘how dare you’ eyes.

“I’m just saying,” Greg said with a smirk.

The doorbell rang and the last of their guests arrived.  In that group were Erin and Max.  This was bound to be a blast.  A blast of ungodly heat.  They were officially in hell with all these people and conflicts in the mix.

 






Chapter End Notes:

I apologize for the extraordinarily long amount of time that has passed in between updates.  I really fell in love with this chapter and it sort of got me fired up to complete this story.  I hope you feel the same.  There are three more chapters to go.  A huge virtual hug and shout out to those of you who encouraged me when my writing muse was far, far away (Sebine) and for those who will continue to read this story despite the extended amount of time I've taken to complete it.  Without readers, these words are merely black letters on a blank page. I really do appreciate each and every one of my readers/reviewers. :)

- Nicole







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.