Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Rating: T, mature situations, profane language. Disclaimer: Everything belongs to Alan Ball, HBO, Charlaine Harris and such. Just my spin on things. That's all. Purely for entertainment purposes. Nothing else. Author's Notes: Hope you'll enjoy this. Comments are welcomed. Thanks for reading.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


  Chapter 3: Staking Claim

 

With Sam's permission Tara spent half an hour each day in his office re-organizing his filing cabinet. It had been in a total and utter disarray and was screaming for help. All manner of bills, statements, invoices and purchase orders were thrown into the drawers and in no particular order. It was short of a miracle that he managed to balance his books at the end of each month.

By week's end, she managed to place them into color-coded file folders and hanging folders that she bought from Office Depot. She created Vendor, reconciliation and utility company file folders and neatly labeled and arranged them in separate hanging folders. At last the cabinet looked as it should, decent. Next thing she aimed to do was to go through a shit load of old bills sitting in a box next to his desk. It was her next project once they came back from their trip, but for now, she was satisfied with what she had accomplished thus far.

 

As she placed the last file folder in the cabinet, Sam came into the office and stood behind her and from over her shoulder he checked out her handy work.

 

"Wow. I like what you've done here honey. Everything is well organized. Finding stuff should now be a breeze and I no longer have to waste time rooting around for anything. Thanks for doing this baby. I've been wanting to clean up this cabinet for such a long time now, I just never gotten around to doing it and even if I tried, I wouldn't have known where to begin. You're amazing!" he said hugging her from behind then kissing her on the neck before momentarily resting his chin on her shoulder.

 

"You're welcome babes." Tara said with a deep sigh closing the metal top drawer.

 

"What's wrong honey?" Sam asked when he heard her voice dip and felt her body become tense. Turning around in his arms to face him, she said,

 

"Sam, can I honestly tell you that I am not looking forward to taking my mother to Aunt Vie for Thanksgiving dinner. I know she's been on her best behavior in the past two months, but, I'm afraid that she'll embarrass me and ruin my chances of being in your family's good books."

 

"Hon, even if your mom were to embarrass you, which I highly doubt that she would, everyone's opinion of you wouldn't change one bit. They all love and adore you. Don't worry, everything's will be alright. Give her a chance." Sam said placing a reassuring hand on her cheek.

"Sam. I've been there before, through her highs and lows and I am tired of building up my hopes."

"I know hon. Anyway, what's done is done. No sense in worrying about it now. Nothing major will happen, trust me. Let's just go there relax and enjoy ourselves. I already told Aunt Vie that she's not to serve or have any alcohol present Sunday night."

"Thank you baby. That was thoughtful and sweet of you to do." Tara hugged him and felt better having talked to him about her mother. She could always rely on him putting her mind at ease. No doubt he already told told Aunt Vie about her mother being a recovering alcoholic and didn't feel at all embarrassed by her knowing this.

 

"Say yes you are sleeping over tonight.." Sam said changing the topic.

 

"Yes baby cakes. I am sleeping over tonight. I brought a change of clothes and I've made a choice on which resort we should go to." Tara smiled running her fingers through his hair.

 

"Fantastic. Later on we'll buy our tickets on-line." He said while he wished that they were actually living together instead of her occasionally sleeping over his place. He thought about asking her about them moving in together again after they came back from their vacation.

 

"Oh Sam, I'm excited about us going to Jamaica. Sun, white sand, warm blue sea. I can't wait."

 

"Me too honey and if all goes well, we'll be there in two weeks." he said kissing her forehead before they exited his office.


***

Later on in the evening, a steady influx of customers started showing up and by eight o'clock, it became pretty busy. It was Sookie's night off. Arlene was somewhere in the background taking orders. Raven the new waitress was doing pretty well at her job considering she'd just started working at Merlotte's less than a week ago. An extra hand on deck was welcomed as it was expected to be busy for the next couple of months on top of which soon both Sam and Tara will be away for a week.

 

Fast talking and cute as a button, Raven was fresh out of college and had just turned twenty-three. She wore her jet black black hair spiky, short in the back and long in the front with blue streaks. By any measure, she was quick witted and light on her feet.

"Hey Tara. Two bourbons, three margaritas and a rum and coke for table five. Table six will have a pitcher, nothing special." Raven said and plunked a tray down on the counter.

"Coming up... How's it goin'?" Tara asked over her shoulder as she worked on the orders.

"It's cool. Nothing' I can't handle." Raven replied shrugging her shoulders.

"That's my girl. The crowd looks fairly decent right now but the moment anyone gives you a hard time, let Sam know. OK?"

 

"Will do. Thanks." Raven said strumming her fingers on the counter top and seemed preoccupied with the clock on the wall behind Tara.

 

"Don't worry, he'll be here." Tara grinned.

 

"Who?" Raven asked looking perplexed.

 

"Matt. Who else?"

 

"Shucks.. is it that obvious?" Raven asked wrinkling her nose.

 

"Well, you've been counting the minutes since you got here."

 

"Heck, why do I even bother. I don't think he knows I exist." Raven sighed feeling at ease with talking her mind with Tara.

 

"Oh he sees you alright. I've seen him checking you out when you're not looking." Tara said while she placed the last of the drink orders on the tray.

 

"He does?" Raven said breaking out into a smile.

"Speak of the devil.." Tara nodded towards the door when Matt walked in dressed in a Merlotte's dark green T-shirt and black jeans.

 

Raven glanced at Matt approaching in their direction and then quickly gathered up her tray of drinks and made a dash for her waiting customers. Tara waved at Matt when he walked by the bar on his way to the office. She shook her head and smiled and thought how Raven on one hand was just complaining about him not noticing her and on the other hand she had just gone out of her way to avoid him. She chuckled and thought how someday those two will make a cute pair.


***

Moments later, Jason, and two other road crew guys, Greg and Irwin sauntered in. The three men appeared restless and wide-eyed and looked as though they were on the prowl to getting laid, least of all Jason. The moment they entered, Jason headed for the bar while the other two seated themselves at a table near the window. Tonight, his eyes looked oddly glazed and there was a reason for that. Out in the parking lot just before he came in, he ingested a dime-sized piece of issue paper soaked in vampire blood. All it took was just one small drop to take its effect. Within seconds of placing it on his tongue, the illegal and potent substance went straight into every fiber of his body setting all his senses aflame and roaring to new exciting heights. Everything around him looked and felt wondrous, colorful and sensual. Even a light breeze gave him a hard on.

 

As he approached the bar, he locked his gaze on Tara and by the time he got there he'd seemingly forgotten what he'd come there for in the first place. Grabbing a stool, he sat down by the counter and kept staring at her with as much intensity as a predator had for its prey. Maybe it was the vampire blood talking, but he was high and horny as hell and she looked damn delicious in her close fitted orange spaghetti strapped v-necked blouse that showed off her toned shoulders and arms and tantalizing cleavage. Her boot-cut tight jeans that hugged her curves in the right places didn't make the situation any better. His already tight jeans got even tighter now that he had a fat boner that was in great need of release.

"Jason, is something wrong?" Tara asked as she wondered about his odd behavior.

"Nothin'. Everything's ..just... beautiful.."

"Right...so, what do ya want? Beer?" Throw me a friggin' bone Tara thought and wanted nothing more than to slap the goofy perverted look clean off his face.

"Yeah..beer..." Jason continued staring at her making her uncomfortable.

 

"Tap or bottle?" Tara said sounding impatient.

 

"Um, tap.. a pitcher..." he answered unblinking and not taking his eyes off her.

 

Turning around to retrieve an empty pitcher from the shelf behind her, Tara at first shrugged off his strange behavior but was reminded of it again when she spun back around and caught him staring at her butt. She noticed that giving him a scolding look didn't put him off one bit. She scrutinized him closely while she filled the pitcher.

As he slowly raked his eyes over her, she felt as if he was peeling her clothes away, one layer at a time. When she finally placed the filled pitcher down on the counter in front of him, he then quickly stretched across the counter and grabbed hold of her arm and began to stroke it.

From ever since they were kids, she had a crush on golden-haired brown-eyed handsome-as-ever Jason. She dreamed of a day when he'd take notice of her the way a love-starved man does a wanton woman and sweep her off her feet. But, she knew it was pointless wishing as it was clear that all along he only saw her as his sister's best friend and had no romantic inclinations in her whatsoever. And now as he touched her, she thought it was strange that he would suddenly show an interest in her, though in a creepy kind of way.

It had been months that she could finally put all her childhood crushes and fantasies in him to rest, especially now that she was deeply in love with the one man who invaded her every thought, Sam. Perhaps months before she'd started dating Sam such touches would've been thrilling, but tonight, all she felt was nothing but shear annoyance and disgust. The fuck! she cried inwardly.

"Jason, what the hell are you doing?"

"Tara, your skin is so... soft ..it's giving off tiny sparks..." Leaning in closer while looking hungrily at her chest, he went on to say, "God you're sexy. Meet me out back after this." and continued stroking her arm slowly and lightly running his fingers up and down the length of it.

Who the fuck he thinks I am. Some kind of skank ho he can fuck out back? Snatching her hand back, she looked at him dead in the eyes with her hands set firmly on her hips and said, "If you were some random dude you'd be soaked in beer by now. What has gotten into you? Tell me you're not high."

"No..OK just a little."

"Jesus Jason. I've never known you to do drugs. Look at you. You're sweaty and your pupils are dilated. What the fuck are you on?"

When Sam looked up from whatever he was doing and saw Jason stroking Tara's arm, he instantly saw red. He felt a rage grow from the pit of his stomach and spread like a cancer to the rest of his body. Curling his fingers into a tight fist, his first thought was to march right up to him and pound his face in before throwing him out. "The fuck he think he's doing touching her like that" he growled under his breath as he stomped from across the room and past the kitchen not noticing Lafayette walking in his direction.

 

"Boss man. You don't want to be doin' that." Lafayette said stopping Sam dead in his tracks with a strong grip to Sam's shoulder. Sam's first instinct was to shove him aside and head straight for the bar, but good sense prevailed and he paused and listened to his cook.

"Look, I know you feel like pimp slapping Jason's deserving white ass but Tara can take care of herself. There's one thing my cousin hates the most and that is somebody else fightin' her own battles." Lafayette continued.

"He's right Sam. Acting all macho and makin' a girl feel like you own her is the last thing you should do." Arlene said walking up to the serving window with her orders.

The possessiveness he felt shocked him. In all his life he'd never felt this way about a woman before. But they were right. Him going over there with a blinding temper was not the right approach. Calming himself down, he thought that had it not been for Lafayette and Arlene, he would've made a complete ass of himself in front of Tara. Feeling Sam's muscles relax under his touch, Lafayette removed his hand from his shoulder and dropped it to his side. With slight apprehension, he and Arlene watched Sam calmly walk over to the bar.

 

Pausing at the far end of the counter, he heard Tara tell Jason, "..I am so not going anywhere with you. Let me make it perfectly clear, I'm involved with someone."

 

"For real? Anybody I know?" Jason responded sounding slightly disappointed and finally blinking.

 

Sensing someone familiar near, she turned her head in Sam's direction and gave him that special sexy smile that was only meant for him.

 

"Honey, is everything alright?" Sam asked looking at her while he kept a safe distance away. Standing his ground, he decided to just make his presence known.

"Yeah baby. Everything's cool. Right Jason?" she replied and looked at Jason from over her shoulder as she moved away from in front of him and sashayed over to Sam. Standing directly in front of him close enough to feel his warm breath on her cool skin, she then reached up and ran her hand over his stubbly face and kissed him lightly on the lips. Sam didn't see that one coming but as they say, love conquers all. And that's all it took to get through to Jason.

"Yeeeah Tara. Everything's cool..." Jason replied surprised and shocked. He watched them continue smiling and gazing deeply into each others' eyes and acting like he wasn't there. It became obvious to Jason that Sam was the person that Tara had been involved in. Feeling like the fool that he was, he picked up the pitcher and joined his friends at their table.

****












Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.