Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Hey guys this is probably going to be the last chapter for a while. I'm not sure when I'll get to able to start another chapter so...here you go. Hope you like it. 




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

Chapter 9

 

~ HP ~

 

            Tonight was the night of all nights; tonight was the night of all nights. Zora could barely contain her excitement. Finally she would get to see/hear/touch whatever surprises her grandfather had planned. Her father unfortunately didn’t share the same enthusiasm. All day he was mumbling about his father and how could all this could possibly blow up in their faces. But not one to let her worrywart of a father get her down she just focused on how utterly gallant the night would be. She could finally wear the dress that her grandfather had given her for Christmas. In these moments of bliss she didn’t even care about the amount of people that would probably be there. She was determined live out this fairytale, at least for one night.

 

To be honest she was a little surprised that she cared so much about a party. Normally, Zora was a half and half when it came to the girly stuff. She liked clothes and shopping with Gran but she couldn’t stand the over-giggly air-headedness that seemed to be spreading at her school as of late. The girls were starting to act…differently. It was the most curious thing; and it always happened when the boys were around too…As for her, she always tried to act lady-like because that was what her grandmother taught her was best. As being one of the most important females in her life she wanted to make her proud.  The truth was, Zora never really thought of herself as the air-headed, princess-type. She didn’t like what those things implied.

 

Even when her dad read stories before she went to bed about damsels in distress and tales of great adventures created by Beetle the Bard and the Brothers Grimm, she always fancied playing the  male’s part. It seemed to her that they always got to have the most fun, to be off on some adventure while the girl just stayed at home doing whatever, waiting to be saved. Well not her, not Zora Noel McQueen. Someday she was going to go her own adventure and the guy lucky enough to be around at the time…well he could tag along if he didn’t annoy her too much.  She was pretty neutral when it came to boys, or at least she tried to be…most times. She didn’t think they had cooties but they weren’t exactly the smartest beings on the earth in her opinion. Mindlessly giving out wedgies to other boys and daring them to eat whatever came to mind (whether it was actually edible was a whole other matter). Plus the hair pulling, that was really annoying. She was already tender headed so whenever they went on their “rounds” she made sure to stay away…or at least get retribution if the primary option didn’t work. Boys in general (if she allowed herself to be a little biased) were absolutely…confusing, loud, gross, pick your adjective. There were only a few exceptions that she would consider…the males in her family (blood or other wise), Mr. Granger and of course there was…Hyde…

 

Oh how she got the whirlies in her stomach when she thought of him. He was so…so amazing. Ando had written letters updating them about their daily lives, he was proud to report that Hyde had been getting outstanding marks on his Auror training exams. Zora knew he would. Even though he didn’t talk much, his eyes held something that intrigued her greatly. There was knowledge in those eyes whether it was because of life experiences or from books she wasn’t quite sure. She figured it was a little bit of both. Merlin, why did he have to leave so far away? Even with magic, Japan was still a bit of a struggle to get to. More like get into…like all wizarding cultures there were secrets that needed to be kept. There were social graces, which needed to be learned before interacting with its people. This was especially important considering who her grandfather was. He would tell her how important it is to follow the customs of a different nation when visiting:

 

“When visiting a different country you must always remember Zora that it is like visiting some one’s house. Each country holds millions of people and as guests we must treat it and them with respect. This is their home Zora, and the people who visit are guests in it. It is always important to honor their customs even if you might not agree or understand them…”

 

Zora, one day would like to travel the world like her grand parents did. It seemed like a lot of fun. Oh how the many stories that would fill her head with when they were able to drop by. Their adventures seemed to take over her daydreams. She would gaze upon the sky and envy the birds she saw fly past her. They were the luckiest creatures on the earth…that and dragons of course…and hippogriffs most definitely. They could go were they wanted and no one could tell them what to do…if they were not caught by the Beast Division of the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures.

 

            She wondered what it would be like fly without the use of broomstick or magical creature; Tonks advised her to stick to land animals for right now. She agreed, after she told her father about her new set of abilities he pretty much forbade her from trying to transfigure herself into anything with the ability to fly on her own without him being present. Still the tug of the sky was becoming more and more irresistible. It seems like her dreams of flying on her own were going to have to be put on hold for now.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

            It was going to snow; he could feel it. Despite having the television in the house it was more a decoration/ muggle-learning tool than something actually entertaining. He didn’t watch the weather because they didn’t know what they were talking about half the time. He lived this long without paying attention to a weather report and would continue to do so now. Samson hated the snow. It brought back memories he would rather forget. He didn’t like a lot of things about the wintertime. He didn’t like the shortening of the days, the inclement weather (posing as a muggle and having to clean the drive way was always a hassle to do), however the temperature never bothered him. No one bit. He actually found it comforting, soothing, numbing. December was never his favorite month because it was the month that his whole life fell apart.

 

 

            Everything changed on a cloudy December day. This day, actually. December 31st. Funny enough, that day seemed like any other day, them getting slowly back into a getting into a comfy rhythm. They were still getting used to have Zora around. Thankfully she wasn’t a fussy baby, sure she cried sometimes during the most inopportune times (3 am seemed to be her favorite) but not enough for them to lose a lot of sleep. Both Cecile and Samson were on vacation from their prospective jobs…or at least Samson was supposed to be. Some how he got called in to do some filing, lots of filing. His plan for the day was just to wake up get in contact with some of the other remaining members of the Order and then spend time with his family.  But no, since he was still the “new guy “in the office he got the grunt work. He had only been a few actually missions but with each passing day he felt more and more confident that this was the job for him. So he kissed his wife and child goodbye and off to work he went completely unsuspecting of the tragedy that was about to behalf them all.

 

            It was seemingly by chance that his good friend Ando just happened to come by, however he didn’t give it much thought. It had been a while since he had seen him, plus he offered to help file away the non-security related documents (that in and of itself was miracle because Ando hated any type of paper work). Even with his dear friend’s help, they still didn’t get out of the office until late. Samson insisted that his friend come with him home, to see Cecile and the baby. The men apparated to the house within the same second. Only to find the door wide open…and Death-eater mark floating above the house. A feeling of dread exploded inside of Samson’s body. Where was Cecile, where was Zora?

 

            The house looked like it had been ransacked. Both men searched the house, frantically calling out for the two females. They searched the neighborhood, banged on doors wherever they could find them. No one had heard a thing. The only place they hadn’t went to was the community garden. It was like time itself seemed to slow down. The lighting was dim. Floating candles lit the garden. And there was Cecile on the ground, laying unnaturally still her head facing away from him. A figure blocked her from complete view. Samson, in a blind rage, drew his wand and cast an offensive spell (which one he can’t remember now…) on the masked murderer. The figure turned just in time to narrowly avoid the full blast; the seemingly only damage was to the mask. Only half had been broken off but it revealed the face of Lucius Malfoy…or at least a man that bore a striking resemblance to him. The wizards engaged in a very short battle until the coward (whoever it was) made a quick getaway. Samson’s mind raced, he wanted to go after the villain but then thought about Zora. The garden looked to be empty. Praying against all hope, he cast the Homenum Revilo spell on the surrounding area. Thankfully, the carriage holding Zora flashed into view. Quickly using he used the Finite Incantatem, and revealed his precious one-year old. Held her to him tightly, her despair mirrored his own. They both watched as Ando conjure a stretcher and send out a patronus to the Ministry heads and the Order. 

 

            Soon enough the place swarmed with Aurors and friends, none of it seemed to penetrate his conscious. All that went through his head was that his wife was dead. The woman he vowed to love and protect was gone. Forever. That word never hurt before and now if felt like a dagger in his heart. He wanted to scream, he wanted to destroy everything that stood outside of family, but all he could do was stare. Ando handled the questions. Samson slowly walked to his beautiful wife. For the briefest of moments did he hand his sweet infant over to his friend, he then dropped down to the cold ground. He slowly pulled his wife into his arms and began rocking silently. He didn’t give damn that he wasn’t supposed to mess with the crime scene. This was his wife and he didn’t give a damn about protocol. Never had he felt so helpless, so alone. He didn’t cry, his body was numb from the pain and he couldn’t manage it…not yet anyway. However, it seemed as though nature itself took on the emotions he couldn’t express.

 

A gentle snow came down from the sky…

 

Whatever his father had planned he just hoped that there was going to alcohol there.  And lots of it…

 

~ HP ~

 

            “Never settle, always aim for greater heights.” Those were the words that his  father always told him. In the life of Reginald Arthur McQueen, there was no such thing as good enough, the best, or all right. He was always reaching for higher ground; he never thought that he would reach his plateau. For some many years he loved to go around the world, be an ambassador for the Ministry, each new country an adventure to last a lifetime. Now as he grew older he didn’t feel the same amount of pleasure as he once did. Maybe it was time to move on from this part of his life. He received an offer that would keep in the loop of international affairs but at the same time would not have always off to a different country for months at a time.

 

            He found himself missing too much. His only grandchild was growing up far too quickly. It seemed like every time that he saw her she was different. Slowly but surely she was growing up into a fine young woman. A young woman, who could and would turn the world on its ear. Reginald decided that he wasn’t going miss any more than he already had. He wasn’t giving up anything; he was trading it in for something that was differently better. Family, always meant the world to him. When Samson was young he tried to be there for all the monumental milestones that every wizard goes through. He was proud when he received the letter that his son got into Gryffindor, just like his father. He was ecstatic when he found out that his son had made the Gryffindor team, a chaser. He himself was a Keeper but he wouldn’t squabble over the positions. He was proud of the man that his son turned into. He would like to say that he had a hand in that but if he were honest with himself he would give that honor to his late wife Claire. She was there when he was off in India or some other country for the Ministry. It was the only comfort that he had when he was off at work. Claire will be there, the boy will be okay. He would tell himself. But the pervading thought in the back of his mind was, Samson needs both parents. Both parents, a mother and a father. Which was partially why he was throwing the party.

 

            His son was too young to spend the rest of his life alone. And Zora needed a mother to help guide her. Never would he try to replace Cecile. No that was never his intention. Quite honestly, the young Shacklebolt girl reminded him of his Claire. One in a million that girl was. He had hoped that his son and his new daughter-in-law would have the life they deserved. A life without fear, a life without war. He had hoped that they would receive the gift that only came with time. A big family. Children running around the house. To love, to fight with. He, personally, would have doted on all of them. Unfortunately, it did not seem to be in the cards. It was a thought that managed to eat away at him. Zora would be the end of the McQueen family line. She would eventually meet someone and get married and that would be that. Reginald didn’t want the family legacy to die.

 

He would only set the stage; whatever happened after that was up to Samson. He invited many people to this party so it wouldn’t be so conspicuous. This was the reason why he made it quite clear to everyone in the invitation that everything was supposed to be a secret. If his son knew what he was planning, there would be hell to pay.

 

“Mimsy, is everything set for the party tonight?” he looked at the house-elf.  He hated using the term. Reginald believed that if wizards wanted to boast about having superiority of the mind over muggles then they would realize the unfair, morally unethical practices of the house-elf enslavement. He only wanted to employ free house elves to handle the estate. Some people called him mad. That maybe true but when he eventually passed on from this life at least he would have a free conscious. The only reason why he hadn’t set them all was because he had a very in-depth conversation his assistant. She explained the history of the house-elves.

 

Contrary to popular belief, the origins of the relationship between wizards and elves weren’t steeped in slavery and mistreatment. Mimsy explained, that unlike humans they didn’t value things such as money as much as they did work. The relationship between wizard families and elves began with an agreement coming from both sides; it was then cemented by friendship, which, if strong enough, bound the house-elves to the families, with an ancient type of magic. The union was founded on trust and respect. A symbiotic relationship, the elves would help the wizards and vice versa. However seeing the elves willingness/wanting to work for no pay, wizards took advantage of the bond, which led to house-elf enslavement. Wizards of the modern age have forgotten that, and their ignorance opened the door for the allowance to abuse house-elves. Mimsy explained to him the social implications of being set free. It was seen as a disgrace to the elfin family if one of their own was released. It meant that they had failed to live up to their end of bargain.

 

Mimsy herself was a house-elf who had served under the McQueen family when his father was still in charge. To a house-elf, freedom was bad. Since birth they are taught to serve their masters without complaint and without question. He remembered how he (his father) would treat the house-elves with disdain and lack of respect. His father worked them to the bone and they were so ignorant of it all. They suffered but they were happy about it. Reginald felt that such treatment was unjust then and he was determined to right the wrongs of his family had done in past generations. Reginald showed them how happiness was supposed to feel. He showed them respect; he hoped to open their eyes to how life should be. He gave them an opportunity for work and a reasonable salary (if they should every want to be paid and receive holidays) and in return they gave him their loyalty and trust. A happy elf worked harder when they knew that their work was appreciated. Reginald treated them as equals, unlike some other wizards.

 

The two magical beings were currently walking down hall of the manor going over last minute details for the festivities for the New Years Eve party. Thanks to Mimsy, everything was working like well-calibrated broomstick.

 

“ Yes, sir. Everything is in place for tonight. Are you sure that Master Samson will be appreciate this…endeavor?” No matter how many times Reginald would tell her to refer to them in just their plan-stated names she was stuck in her own ways. Mimsy was his personal assistant. She made sure that house was always in order and she kept the other elves on schedule. A magic clipboard and quill followed behind her, furiously writing down things that needed to be done. She stood with proper posture, and wore a nice black pillowcase dress to signify her position.

 

 All of the elves that worked on the McQueen estate wore such “uniforms”. It was a really clever idea he admitted to himself. He knew that elves feared human clothes…but what if they weren’t human clothes? Reginald had the idea when he was laying in his bed one night. He would make clothes out of pillowcases (well not him personally because he was rubbish at sewing).  He couldn’t watch as they dressed in rags. So every year he had them fitted by Madam Malkin herself (she thought he was crazy but he brushed it off). Each specialized for whatever chore they were assigned to. Color-coded to help keep things in order. There were nice pillowcase jump suit suspenders for the males, and pillowcase dresses for the females. If one had a problem with the current outfit then all they would have to do was bring it up with Mimsy and she would relay it to Reginald. 

 

“ Samson…will probably hate the idea…which why he mustn’t know before hand or else it will be a complete disaster.”

 

“ Then why is Master Reginald going through with this charade? Master Samson is very stubborn like his father.” Normally a house-elf would not dare to make a comment like that, however that just showed how different things were on the estate. Freedom of words and feelings was the rule. Politeness was mandatory. But Mimsy was the exception. She earned it.

 

Reginald laughed, “ Because dear Mimsy, I can’t seem to stop meddling. It is as though it has gotten worse as I have grown older.”

 

“ Master Samson will not be happy when he finds out.”             

 

“ Probably, but he will eventually realize that this was for his own good. As well as Zora’s… ”

 

“ And about the Malfoys…what about them? Mimsy does not think it was wise inviting them.”

 

“ Social politics Mimsy, it’s all it is. Besides its too late to cancel now.”

 

“ Please Master Reginald reconsider this. Mimsy begs of you. If the Malfoys come the night will only end in tears.” Bad things were going to happen, Mimsy could feel it throughout her entire body. The Moon was about to turn full, there a ring around it. Trouble was near. 

 

“ Mimsy no more. Everything has been put into motion. I couldn’t stop it even if I wanted to.”

 

“ As you wish Master Reginald. Mimsy will speak no more of it.” For now…

 

“ Thank you, now please, if you don’t mind I would like to be alone.”

 

“ As Master Reginald wishes…” the elf snapped her fingers and disapparated.

 

It was going to snow. He could feel it. Every December 31st it seemed to do so. Which was exactly why he made this party for then. It was his way of keeping an eye on his son. The thirty-first of December was always the worst day of the year for him. For all of them really, it was the day they lost one of their own and it was a day that was never to be spoken of. Not yet at least. He also made sure that no one was allowed speak of it at the party. When the person accepted the invitation, they signed a legally binding magical contract. It was all in the fine print. They literally could not say anything about it incident, or at least when Zora’s around. It was a complex spell, but one of Solidad’s best if he did say so himself. Whenever she would be in earshot range they could not speak a word. Of course this restriction applied to the adults, it was technically illegal to do this with the children that were probably also going to attend. So that was the only hole in the plan in the foreseeable future. Hopefully the attendees were wise enough to warn their children.

 

“ Merlin help us all if they don’t…”

 

 

-DM-

            Oh Merlin’s beard tonight was the night. Finally. The wait nearly killed him. Who ever said that patience was a virtue was completely barmy. It was torture. Pure and Simple. But none of it mattered now because he would see her tonight. And they would converse and finally become friends. More than strangers and more just acquaintances things were moving in the right direction. Tonight was going to be turning point. Hopefully this party would liven the mood of the Malfoy Manor. His father’s attitude took a nosedive this morning. He was short tempered with everyone, the house-elves took the brunt of it of course but that didn’t mean that they were free from the scorn.

 

             He knew why his father was acting like this. He knew why every December 31st was a sore spot. He caught a glimpse of the Daily Prophet. He heard the whispers in the Ministry. Something happened on today that concerned his father and the McQueen family. Murder. Cecile. McQueen. Lucius. Malfoy. He didn’t believe them of course. The Daily Prophet was a rag, and the people who worked at the Ministry loved gossip. All of them were complete idiots. His father wouldn’t senselessly murder. He was a defender of pure magical blood. He wouldn’t kill one of their own. It was ridiculous to think otherwise.  And Samson McQueen…to spear head the attack against his father…it put him, Draco, into a weird spot. He hated that the father of the girl he was interested in was so bent on seeing his own father’s downfall. He already had problems with Samson McQueen. Namely, subjecting his poor daughter to the barbaric practices of muggle life. Filling her head with nonsense, with lies. Probably poisoning her against his family. Draco honestly believed that was the reason why she was so uncomfortable with him when they were walking down the corridor. He didn’t blame her though, never her. She was the victim here. But he would set the record straight.

 

            Draco opened his desk drawer and took out his favorite object, the black ribbon.

He was debating on whether to bring with him or not. He didn’t want to lose it but he wanted it with him also. He found that when he had it with it him it he was a lot calmer, happier. It was slowly becoming safety net for him. He didn’t understand it, and he didn’t question it. Some things, Draco thought, should just be left alone. Tonight was going to be the turning point in their relationship and he wanted to be clear of mind when he saw her.

 

            His dress robes were all cleaned and pressed. He practiced his dance steps (he abhorred dancing but he would do it if Zora wanted to).  He wanted everything to be perfect. He heard that his…companions Gregory Goyle and Vincent Crabbe were going to be there. That would make the evening even more enjoyable. Or possibly quite problematic. Needless to say Crabbe and Goyle were not exactly the brightest candles in the room. He felt that it was his responsibility to look out for them and in return they did whatever he said. It was a beneficial arrangement that worked out for the all of three them. Normally, he wouldn’t care about their antics but this was important and he didn’t want their foolishness around Zora because it would reflect badly on him.  He didn’t think that they would be too much off a problem, he could just order them away if need be.

 

            However, there was only one other thing that could possibly go wrong…Pansy Parkinson. Merlin was that girl annoying. Every time he would see her she would follow him around and talk about playing with dolls or hair or some other nonsense.  She had this weird look in her eye and it unnerved him. She was always trying to get her to play with her when her parents came to visit. She wouldn’t be so annoying if she didn’t talk, or grab on to him. The only reason why he didn’t tell her to shove off was because his father would have his head. If she was at the party then it was going to be a disaster. He’d have to spend the whole time dodging her.

 

            If there was any type of decency or goodness in this world then she would not be there.

 

            “ Are you getting ready for tonight Draco…?” His called mother from his bedroom door; She was still not happy with the decision of her family going to the party but she finally conceding and was picking out what gown to wear. She took a small break to go and check in on her son. She had never seen him so animated, so enthusiastic about going to a social function in…well…forever.

 

She walked on him pacing around the room. Off in some daze, he had been doing that a lot as off late. Why, she had no clue. She suspected that it had to do with his last trip to the Ministry with his dad. She could tell by the way that he was trying to pull away from her. Oh she noticed how he hard he was pushing to go to Durmstrang. Why was he trying so hard to get away from her? All she ever did to him was love him. As is a mother’s duty. He was her only son, her baby all she wanted for him was the best.

 

“ Yes mother…”

 

“ You know Draco, we do not have to go if you don’t want to. I know that I promised you that this year we would have a relatively quiet year...”

 

“NO!” the sudden burst of energy surprised them both, “ Um, no mother it’s alright, honest. I might as well get used to going to parties such the one Mr. McQueen is throwing. And it’s important to father. I don’t want to disappoint him.” Draco wasn’t lying about that, her husband had been adamant about their attendance. Add that to what today was meant to the Malfoy house…

 

Narcissa knew how much her son wanted to impress his father. It was like re-watching history. Abraxas was never easy to please and so was his son. Narcissa tried to spare her son from some of the well intentioned, but harsh criticism her husband liked to dish out.

 

“ I know dear but they will be other parties…”

 

“ Not like this one…” she saw him look away from her, “ This one is special…”

 

“ Honestly, I always thought that people overstate just how good one of Reginald’s parties are. I assure you will not miss anything darling.” She, Narcissa Black Malfoy, was trying to convince him to miss a party. Now Draco had seen it all.

 

“ Mother I want to go, really. It’s like Dad said if we don’t go it will look suspicious. Like we have something to hide. Like we are some low-life criminals. We’re Malfoys, pure-bloods we have nothing to be ashamed off…” If she wasn’t look at him directly, she could have sworn that was Lucius talking. Her husband was rubbing off on him, he’d be glad of that…

 

“ Alright darling, if you’re sure…” Well that didn’t go as she wanted. She would play Lucius’s game for tonight but she wanted answers.

 

“ Oh and darling the Crabbes, Goyles, Parkinsons and the Notts will be arriving so that we can all go as a group…this get together.”

 

“ Alright… wait a tick, who were those last to families you just said? ”

 

“ Parkinsons and the Notts, why?”

 

“ Oh no reason. Just… nice to hear a few more familiar faces are going to be there…” Why? Parkinson was bad enough, now Theodore Nott? He was so…weird…a loner type; he never said much…he would just stare.

 

“ Yes, allies are nice to when being feed to a den of lions…” Narcissa murmured under her breath. “ I’m going back to finish getting ready darling, and remember if you want to leave anytime we can do so okay?”

 

“ Sure mother,” Narcissa left the room, which left Draco to his thoughts.

 

So now he had to deal with Parkinsons and Nott…Nott wouldn’t be much of a problem if wasn’t so unpredictable. Parkinson, well he was used to her so he could adjust. He would have to play things by ear. Nothing was going to ruin this night for him…he wouldn’t allow it.

 

-DM-

 

 

The Lovegoods and McQueens had to come to estate to get dressed. Mimsy had helped the girls with their dress and their hair. The elves were all abuzz. Final preparations were being made and on top of that the news of the young Mistress was in the building. The “Littlest Miss” was what they called her. She rarely came to the estate but when she did the elves were glad to have her. Like the late mistress, she was a joy to have around. Mimsy, especially, had a soft spot for the young mistress. She was precious to her because she remembered helping the new mother just a few times when they were still in England. A happy baby that girl was. A good baby.  Reginald wasn’t the only one that missed interacting with her when they were away.

 

“ Mimsy how have you been? It seems like ages since I’ve last seen you.”  Zora was looking at herself in the mirror while Mimsy did her hair. Luna was sitting on the bed playing with Luca. Mimsy had gotten them done first.

 

“ Mimsy has been well young miss, is the young miss excited for tonight? ” Zora gave her a light-hearted glare.

 

            “ Mimsy, you know I don’t like it when you call me that. I’m just Zora remember?”

 

“ Mimsy knows young miss but its how Mimsy has been taught. It’s what’s proper for an house-elf.”

 

“ But you’re more than just an house-elf, Mims.  You’re like family; you’ve been there since I can remember.”

 

“ Mimsy appreciates the warm feelings…”

 

“ Please, could you just call me Zora? At least for tonight. Pleaaseeeee?” Zora pulled out the puppy eyes; unfortunately for her those didn’t work on the elf. Mimsy just smirked and shook her head.

 

“ Mimsy will…try…will that be enough?”

 

“ I guess…” Zora pouted, she never won against Mimsy but that didn’t stop her from trying.

 

Mimsy continued to twirl her fingers, making the young witch’s curls more defined. Each curl bounced into place after Mimsy was done with it. Zora was already in her dress and the hair was the last thing to do. Mimsy knew how the little miss liked ribbons so she found one that matched the dress and was mildly fringed. She brought a part of hair to the side and put it in a nice bow. The majority of the hair was let down.

Mimsy stepped away and allowed Zora to look at her self properly.

 

            “ Oh Mimsy its wonderful, thank you” Zora beamed. Tonight was going to be perfect. The sky was getting darker by the hour and the moon was full. Stars dominated the sky. Everyone was finally dressed and soon they waited for people to arrive. The ballroom was finished before the family had gotten there. The whole room looked like it was made out of ice. A true winter wonderland, Reginald really out-done himself with the decorations and theme. The tables were covered with silver tablecloth, and the centerpieces were crystal flowers. You would imagine that when you entered it would be very cold but it was just the opposite. The ceiling was covered in never-melting icicles of varying sizes. They seemed to have a glow about them. If you looked carefully they were lit up glowing fairies perched small bunches. The whole room was a sight to see. One the right side of the room there were elegant doors that led to the terrace and a little ways away was the green house.

 

            “ Oh grandpa it’s glorious, I feel like we’re in an ice cavern.” Zora swiftly moved around the room and spun around.

 

            “ Yes Reginald you really have out done yourself.” Solidad complimented.

 

            “ Thank you my dears, but everything is not quite ready yet.” Reginald smiled directly at his granddaughter.  Somehow she wasn’t sure if she liked that smile, it was mischievous.

 

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


 

            This wasn’t a good idea. In fact in the history of ideas, Zora thought, this was probably the worst, ever. She remembered the promise she made to herself earlier that day about not being nervous about how many people were going to be there and now she was starting to regret it. It was impossible, what her grand father was asking her. Making an entrance, what for? In front of all those people…she was going to make an entrance in front of complete strangers. Her grandfather was going to introduce her by calling out her name and she would enter the room. The room…was it always this large?

            “ Oh you have nothing to worry about pumpkin everything is going to be fine.”

            “ But grandpa…” Reginald wasn’t listening his attention was pulled away by a group of kitchen house-elves. Her father and the Lovegoods were walking around the room taking in the decorations. All she had was Luca by her side. Stop it, she chastised herself, you’re not a baby no fear remember. Yeah, no fear… tell that to her stampeding heart. Her grandfather seemed to have a lot confidence in her. No one even batted an eyelash when he suggested it. Actually, her father was suspicious (no surprise there) but he didn’t say anything (some surprise there).

            This was supposed to be her fairytale night, she reminded herself; the girls in those stories would always arrive at the ball making grand entrances. Everyone was supposed to stare and whisper…there was always whispering…and pointing…oh this wasn’t helping. 

            “ Master Reginald, Miss Shacklebolt has arrived shall I bring her here?” A security elf questioned.

            “ Oh yes, let Grace in I want her opinion on something…” The elf quickly disapparated and walked Grace into the room. She looked amazing, as always. Her clothes seemed to be herald from a different time.  Elegance, pure elegance was what it was. She wore a tasteful fur-lined coat and hat. House-elves took her things to reveal a stunning silver dress. There was only one word for such a dress, dramatic. Grace, living up fully to her name, did not simply walk towards her loved ones. She moved as though she could walk on air.

            “ Well, some one looks dashing. All of you look simply wonderful.” Grace looked at her loved ones. They were seemingly all here…except her eldest. No matter how much she pleaded he would not attend.

            “ We are a pretty good looking bunch aren’t we?” Xenophillius struck a pose and everyone laughed.

            “ Is Kingsley here with you Grace? I know I sent an invitation…” Reginald looked at Grace and instantly regretted saying anything.  There was an old sadness in her eyes. A pain that could not quite heal. She guarded her emotions like the true actress she was.

            “ Kingsley, regrettably…is under the weather and could not attend. He sends his thanks for being thought of.” Her son was always a solitary being; he would rather be alone in his grief than be around people. The only one he would truly allow in was his sister. This day…she couldn’t explain how she felt about this day. It was one of the most painful days in her life. Other than losing her husband to illness she didn’t think that she could bare the loss of anyone else. Especially not her baby girl.

            “ Oh…that is unfortunate, I wish your son a speedy recovery.” There was an awkward silence until Grace directed her attention to her granddaughter.

            “ Why, that couldn’t be my granddaughter. She looks too grown up to be my granddaughter.”  Zora blushed at the compliment; she walked up to her grandmother and gave her a hug. She noticed something when her grandmother walked into the room. She seemed sad. She smiled but her eyes were a different story. What could she be sad about? Of course the news about Uncle Kingsley was unfortunate but it seemed to be more than that.

            In fact, if she really thought about it everyone was acting strange today. It was like this every New Years Eve. Her father always had this melancholic look on his face. He probably didn’t think she notice but she knew that he tried to avoid looking at the family whenever New Years Eve rolled around. And now the feeling of sadness was everywhere. Like someone had died today…oh for the love of Merlin how could she be so stupid? Mum, it had to do with her mum. Going on her hunch she held on to her grandmother just a little tighter.

            Could it be that this was the day…the day she passed? Her father never told her when her mother died but no other day seemed to affect him more than December 31st.  Maybe that was the reason that her grandfather decided to have this party tonight. To help people be happy even though it was a sad time. At this moment she knew what she had to do. She had to put away her fear, it wasn’t as important as making sure that all the effort he and the house-elves put into such an event. It was something her mother would do, she was sure of it.

            “ Gran it’s okay.” Grace looked down at Zora in confusion.

            “ What’s okay sweetpea?”

            “ You feeling sad about mum, I know that she isn’t with us now but…she would still want us to be happy.” No one spoke, no one move an inch. Grace forced herself to remain calm.  They didn’t know what Zora knew so there was no reason to act out of the ordinary. She looked into her young granddaughter’s eyes and could help but tear up a little. A small smile made its way across her face.

 

            “ Your right sweetheart. Your mother would want us to be happy. All of her loved ones are safe and sound. Today is celebration. Not only for New Year but also for a life.” The mood seemed to lighten a little at her words. It was late and guests would soon arrive.

            They made light conversation until people started to arrive, Reginald ushered Zora out of the main room. He told her to wait in the sitting room until he called her. As he walked back to main room he heard a very distinct voice, a voice that could be no one other than…

            “For goodness sake Neville straighten your back, I swear I don’t know what I’m going to do with you.”

            “ S-sorry g-grandmother…”

            “ Honestly boy you would think that…”

Augusta Longbottom, fierce woman. Powerful witch and probably could cause even the deadliest wizard to cringe. Reginald smiled when she finally acknowledged his presence. She quickly assumed her usual posture and looked at with a proud aloofness.

“ Reginald.”

“ Augusta, I’m so glad that you could come. And this must be young Neville?” A loud croak could be heard from the boy. Neville instantly flushed. He took the toad out of his dress pants pocket. He tried to quiet the toad to no avail.

“ Neville, I told you to keep that toad at home. I swear you never listen, always in that green house doing whatever it is that you do. I swear I have half a mind…”

“ Augusta its quiet alright. Really, there is nothing wrong with Neville bringing his toad. So you like green houses Neville?” Neville nervously nodded his head.

“ Y-yes..sir…” he whispered.

“ Speak up boy no on can hear you and for Merlin’s sake stop stuttering you sound like a bumbling idiot.” Neville flinched at chastisement

“ Y-y-yes Sir.” Reginald smiled at the boy, and he was glad to see him relax a little under his gaze.

“ Well I have green house and it would be my pleasure if I could give you and your grandmother a tour of it if you want.” The boy seemed to like that idea very much even though he did say anything in return.

Reginald guided them to ballroom and then went back to his post. More and more guests were arriving by the minute. Snow began to fall, slow but in large amounts. Quickly the ground was being covered with snow. Reginald did not ask the grounds elves to sweep because it would be just a wasted effort.

            The ballroom was filling up at a steady rate. They all conversed in polite tones. It wasn’t until the Malfoy group came in did the whole room start buzzing. Samson and Solidad were seething. How dare they barge in to a private party? What right did they have? Samson was about to confront Lucius until his father intercepted. He all but dragged his son out of the room before Samson exploded.

            “ Dad what are they doing here?”

            “ I invited them.” Reginald said simply. Samson looked at his father incredulously. How could he? How could his own father do this to him? Solidad was having the same thoughts. Never did she ever want to be in the same room as Lucius Malfoy if it wasn’t in a courtroom being sentenced to life in Azkaban.

            “ Are you barmy old man? T-that monster…how could you?”

            “ Samson I understand you that are in shock but you will not talk to me in such a way. I am still your father and you are not old enough that I can not whip you…” Pure rage met cool indifference.

            “ Are you so insensitive that you are willing to hurt those you claim to love? What about Grace…?”

            “ Do you really think I would be so callous Samson? She knew that I was going to invite them because I told her before the first invitation was sent out. She, unlike you, is taking this like an adult.”

            “ Dad, if they don’t leave in the next 5 minutes Zora and I will. Its either them or us.”

            “ Samson look outside do you see what it is doing? It is snowing. Quite heavily I might add and therefore dangerous to travel. I will not have you endanger my granddaughter’s life because of your reckless behavior.”

            “ Father, that man killed Zora’s mother, my wife, your daughter-in-law…”

            “ There was no proof of that Samson and you know that…”

            “ Proof? I saw the bastard stand over my dead wife’s body. What more proof do you need?! ”

            “ It was dark. You saw a man in Death-Eaters robes that had blue eyes and was blonde. Those characteristics alone are not enough to convict him. Also they did a test of his wand, nothing. You have nothing to go on Samson.” He couldn’t believe this; his own father didn’t believe him. Reginald saw the disbelief in his eyes and spoke again.

            “ Despite what you may think Samson. I do believe you but the evidence is just not there. And until then we have to behave accordingly.”

            “ But why dad? Why invite them…?” and then it dawned on him, “ Social politics…That’s it isn’t it? Some things never change do they?’ Samson was about to reenter the room until Reginald grasped on to his arm.

            “ Samson I will not lie to you, it is partially that. But it is more so that I can keep an eye on them. Keeping friends close and enemies closer and all that sort. Please don’t go. At least no yet, please.” Samson knew that he couldn’t leave, Zora would question it and the only answer that he could give was one that she was not ready to hear. This was exactly the reason why he left the Wizarding world; high society, he didn’t like the games. He didn’t like the risks that came with it. He liked…needed simple…life. He never needed all of the money or the pressure. All he wanted was a job and enough money to have a roof over his head and to take care of his family.

            He couldn’t wait to leave this world once again. This wasn’t his world. Not anymore.

            “ Fine, but I swear if he or any of them come near me or mine I will not hesitate to punch his lights out. We clear?”

            “ Crystal. I wouldn’t worry too much about them. Cornelius Fudge, Barty Crouch and Albus Dumbledore are in the room. None of them will try anything I assure you.”

 

            Both men went back into the ballroom. People were continuing to talk like nothing had just transpired. Everyone was spread out but you could tell who everyone was because of the groups. Reginald played the perfect host, he laughed and conversed with the best of them. Classical music wafted throughout the room and people seemed to be having a good time. It was late enough for people to start getting hungry. Reginald signaled for the band to stop, people went to their tables and all eyes were on him. He moved to the center of the room.

 

            “ Hello Ladies and gentlemen. I am so happy that you all could make it. Now, you all are probably questioning why I called all of you here….Well, to be perfectly honest…it’s because I’m lonely…Kidding, kidding.” People laughed. “ No, actually it because I have two things I want to share with you…or one thing and one person to share with you.”

 

            This perked people up, people had a pretty good idea who this person was. McQueen’s best kept secret. Ever since the murder, the McQueen-Shacklebolt clan kept out of the social circuit. Was it possible that they were going actually see the mysterious McQueen girl? No one really knew much about the lone survivor except those closest to her. Rumors, gossip those were the only things they had. Until now.

 

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


 

 

Zora was pacing. She never paced before in her life. Then again she had never been this nervous. Mimsy and Luca were in the room with her, which calmed her somewhat. Mimsy would bring her to the ballroom and then when her grandfather called for her she would enter the room. She didn’t know why all this was necessary. She didn’t feel well it was all nerves. Luca followed after her each time she made a round. She just wanted to get this over with. Suddenly Mimsy’s ears twitched, it was time to go. Lovely.

 

“ Time we go Little Miss.”

 

“ Oh…okay…Luca let’s go…” The small group their way down hallway, closer and closer they could hear people talking. She finally heard her grandfather voice.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

            “ Usually when I introduce someone I give a little background information, but somehow with her I don’t feel that it is necessary. Maybe this is my own bias talking but she is my grandchild so I guess I’m allowed.” Reginald wistfully smiled. “She’s kind, sweet and intelligent. But I must warn you all; she’s bit of a thief. The moment I first laid eyes on her she stole my heart right from under my nose. Give her five minutes of your own time and she’s likely to strike again. So without further ado, ladies and gentlemen I would like to introduce my lovely granddaughter, Zora McQueen.” 

 

 

Reginald extended his hand to the door and…

 

 

 

 

~ HP ~

 






Chapter End Notes:

Thanks again for reading. Excuse any mistakes and please review!







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.