Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I will definitely be back to do some editing. I just really wanted to get this out there.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

Chapter 11

 

            After they changed into more suitable clothing, the children decided to search the house first. After no such luck, they asked every house-elf they could find. Each one saying the same thing until they got the kitchens. They barely avoided getting run over by the rushing house-elves Zora looked around and found Mimsy spearheading the whole operation. Zora, after nearly getting hit with a frying pan, came up to ask Mimsy if she or any of the other kitchen elves had seen a toad.

 

            “ Mimsy has not seen such a creature little miss.” Zora frowned in disappointment.

 

            “ Where could that toad have gone? It’s like he’s evaporated or something…” They’ve checked the bedrooms, the closest, the sitting rooms, the bathrooms, basically every where inside the house…and maybe that was the problem, maybe Trevor wasn’t in the house.

 

            “ Neville, I think I know where your toad is…”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

            “ No.  Absolutely not. I won’t allow it.”

 

            “ But dad, we can’t just leave him out there. He could die.”

 

            “ Zora, if what you think is true then he will be fine. Probably one of the garden-elves took him there because it was wandering around the house. We’ll just—“

 

            “ No dad, we have to get him ourselves. The elves aren’t properly dressed for that type of weather.”

 

            “ Zora, it is a veritable blizzard outside. No.”

 

            “ Sorry dad, pet in need.” She whistled for Luca, he transformed to his riding form. There were a few screams of surprise as Zora quickly got on. She looked at Neville questioningly, “ You coming?”

 

            Neville numbly nodded his head; he clumsily got on Luca’s back. Their legs barely made it across the creatures back. Neville made the mistake of looking down and he nearly feel off.

 

            “ Zora Noel McQueen you get down there this instant. You and that boy are not going any where.” Zora only gripped on to the reins of the collar tighter.

 

            “See you in a bit dad, and stop worrying nothing is going to happen.” She looked back towards Neville, “ I suggest you hang on tight, I don’t want you to fall off.”

 

            “ Y-you’ve d-d-done this before…right?”

 

            “ No, I just thought that it was the right thing to say.” She led Luca towards the terrace doors, the house-elves who were stationed at the double doors slowly began to open them. The gust of wind swept into do the room like a tornado. Luca surrounded himself with a blue flame, effectively cutting off the great chill of the outside.

 

            “Zora, stop this nonsense…!”

 

            “Be right back dad, go Luca!” the hound began to dash off in direction of the, the surprised house-elves moved even quicker to open the doors. Neville had a death grip on her waist. The companion charged for the twin doors with extreme force. It was like a speeding train, no one could stop it. Farther and farther the trio traveled it wasn’t until they jumped off the terrace did you heard the sound of faint screaming…whether it was out of delight or fear is anyone’s guess.

 

-DM-

 

            That.Fat.Lub!

 

            He watched the whole unholy scene in horror. He felt the turbulent, blistering wind enveloping the ballroom. Definite proof that it wasn’t nightmare. All this because of a stupid toad?! Honestly, he was starting to think that this girl had no sense at all. Did it make him question why he still thought that she was curiously intriguing? Yes. Did her actions in anyway deter his fascination with her? Unfortunately, no. Did he want to punch the fat lub into next week for being near her? Of course.  Just as soon as they got back he was show him what’s what. The whole room dispersed into groups. Reginald really didn’t see the point of keeping them to their seats now; they were going to talk anyway. The Malfoy table separated themselves into adults and children. Draco, walked around the room with Pansy and the rest of them following suit.

 

            “ What a show off…” That’s all Pansy Parkinson could say. Arms crossed and full on pouty mode. There was absolutely no reason for her to act in such a way.

 

            “ Huh?” Draco, of course, hadn’t been paying attention to her.

 

            “ That…girl…it’s obvious that she wanted to make a spectacle of herself.” She wanted attention, Pansy thought, Draco’s it was the only explanation that she could think of that made sense. Why else would Draco ignore her? He was falling for this trap, this lie. Well, she wouldn’t have it. Draco was hers…not this McQueen girl’s.

 

            “Honestly who goes after a toad?” Draco couldn’t fault her on that. Having a toad was probably the worst thing that a person could do. It was social suicide.

 

            “ And who would make friends with that tub of lard, he looks utterly pathetic.” Again, he silently agreed with the clingy girl. It made absolutely no sense.

 

            “ She’s utterly mental. No wonder McQueen Sr. wanted to keep her under wraps. She’s an embarrassment. ” Crabbe and Goyle dumbly nodded their heads in agreement (to what they weren’t exactly sure).

 

            “ Now hold on Parkinson…I think you’re being a little harsh there.” Pansy and the boys looked at him in surprise. Draco quickly backtracked.

 

            “ Well think about it for a moment. She has been brainwashed by her father and those muggle-loving dingbat Lovegoods. She hasn’t been properly introduced into wizard society and is forced to go to a muggle school on top of that.  The poor girl didn’t have a chance. Now, I think with the proper guidance she will be fine.” Yes, with the proper guidance (i.e. him) she would be just fine.

 

            “ Who cares about her… did you see that creature she had with her?!” That was the first time that Theodore talked all evening. Well, to other people that is.  They all looked at him like he was crazy, but he was too excited to care.

 

            “ She had a grim…a real live grim with her…amazing…did you see the blue flames? Wicked.” 

 

            “ That just makes it worse doesn’t it? A grim…the omen of death…hmph I guess it’s fitting…”

 

            “ What are going on about Parkinson…?”

 

            “ Draco you of all people should know what I’m talking about. Her mum and…”

 

            “ My father? My father didn’t kill her Parkinson and how dare you make such accusation…!” His eyes flashed, his face flushed with anger.

 

“ Oh no Draco I don’t think…I would never…it’s just that it happened tonight didn’t it? I heard my parents talking about it before we came here…”

 

“ Yeah, well keep your mouth shut will ya? We’re not supposed to talk about that.”

            “ Why we ain’t supposed to talk about it Draco. Doesn’t she know?” Draco looked at Crabbe with an “are-you-serious” face.

 

            “ Of course she knows, you stupid git. It should be obvious why we can’t talk about it. Who talks about death at party? Honestly…”

 

            “All I mean is that she doesn’t seem sad about her mum. I thought girls were supposed to be all emotional about that type of stuff.” As much as he hated to admit it Crabbe did have a point. He took Zora as an emotional type. The way that she took up for people alone alluded to how caring she could be. It matched up at all. That could only mean…she didn’t know. This is was…this was BRILLIANT.

 

            Zora not knowing about her mother was possibly the greatest thing to happen since the invention of quidditch. This meant that he had a chance to spin this, this meant that he could give her the real story before anyone else could. That way her father couldn’t poison her against him. This was his one shot to get closer to her.

 

            This was an opportunity that he could not pass up.

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Despite the brisk, gusting wind the young children didn’t feel a thing. Thanks to Luca’s flame surrounding them they were kept quiet warm and comfortable. They looked around as they barreled through the snow. Everything was absolutely covered. Neville feared that they would get lost but it seemed that both the girl and the hound knew where they were going.

 

            “ It shouldn’t be too much longer Nev, just hold on for a bit more!” Zora shouted as she refocused her gaze to what was in front of her. Just two minutes after she made that statement they were at their destination. The whole house of made out of glass. On the outside it seemed to be quite small on the inside it was actually quite big. It was like a tropical forest. Plants of every size, shape and color were in that room. Neville had never seen such a glorious place in all his life. It was paradise, absolute paradise. What he wouldn’t give to just stay here. He slowly walked deeper into the heavenly sanctum of flora with undisclosed glee and amazement. Zora watched him and giggled a bit. She picked up Luca and began scratching his head. 

 

            “ Having fun Nev?” Neville snapped out trance he was in and blushed heavily. He saw her take her shoes and socks off. He watched as she took a deep breath of perfectly scented air. She looked back at him, expectantly.

 

“O-oh um…” It took him a moment to get what she wanted and quickly sat down and took off his shoes and socks. Zora began to walk through the grass to the flowerbeds, Neville followed right behind. Zora knew that they wouldn’t see any garden elves roaming around while they were there…shy bunch.

 

            “ It’s alright, I was the same way when grandpa first showed this place to me. I remember absolutely falling in love with the flowerbeds. It’s always so calm and peaceful. I love being outside, there is nothing more freeing than just running around and enjoying the sunlight. I think if I had to rank it, this would be my second favorite place in the entire world.”

 

            “ S-second?” Neville couldn’t imagine another place being as wonderful as this one. The both sat cross-legged next to the flowerbeds. The sound of a small stream played in the background.

 

            “ My mother’s garden back in Winterbourne. I’ve only recently known about it but every time I go there I feel happy. Like I’m connected to her somehow. Like it’s our own special place. Even though she’s not around anymore…” There was a rustle in the flowers next to Zora. A moment later Trevor hopped out, a slow unassuming ribbit came from his throat.

 

            “Trevor!” Neville quickly got hold of him. Zora moved closer to get a better look at him.

 

            “ Naughty little toad, you gave us all quite a scare. You can’t run off like that. Poor Neville was worried sick.” Trevor ribbited again and the children laughed.

 

            “ I think that’s as much of an apology as you’re going to get Nev.”

 

            “I-it’s alright. J-just g-glad that he’s okay. D-don’t know what m-my grandmother would say if I really lost him.”

 

            The children lagged around the garden for a bit more. Luca felt playful and tugged at Zora’s pants leg. She decided to indulge him, he transformed into his medium size and brought over a stick. Zora invited Neville to play but he politely declined. Something about Zora’s story didn’t make sense. The garden in Winterbourne…wasn’t that the place…he overhead his grandmother talking about with his uncle once. She had just come back from visiting his parents and was talking to him about the party.

 

            Neville had the sinking feeling that his new friend didn’t know about her mother. Part of him felt envious. Sometimes he wished he didn’t know about what happened to his parents. But then he instantly felt guilty, they were heroes. They helped to stop…He-who-must-not-be named. Neville was proud to have them as parents…even if they didn’t remember who he was. He was just glad that they were still around. Zora…didn’t have that luxury. It probably wasn’t his place to ask or even bring up the topic but she couldn’t walk around not knowing. Neville was pretty sure that everyone else knew about the whole ordeal. Also, he saw this boy while Zora was introducing herself. He was actually very frightening, despite his small size. His eyes seemed to burn with anger. Neville, for the life of him, didn’t know why. They had never met before but from the way that boy looked at him…it was like he wanted to kill him or something.  And…he wasn’t sure but he was definitely staring at Zora. He didn’t take her eyes off of her when she came into the room. Did they know each other somehow? It didn’t seem likely…he seemed so fearsome and she…well…

 

            Neville looked at the girl before him. She looked and seemed…so happy…and friendly…and kind. He didn’t trust that blonde boy. At least…he didn’t get a good feeling from him. She put blind trust in him, she offered him friendship and he wanted to be a good friend. Friends told each other the truth or at least that’s what he was always told. He wasn’t exactly sure; this whole “having-friend-a-business” was still new to him…hours new to him. He guessed he would just have to go with his gut feeling…as scary as that was.

 

            “ Z-zora?”

 

            “ Hmm, yes Neville?” she just stopped giggling like fiend when Luca lightly tackled her to the ground (thank goodness he transformed back into his smaller size). She walked back to her new friend with Luca tucked into her arms and sat down next to him.

 

            “ Do you…um…do you remember your mum?” that was strange question to ask, Zora thought, it was really random.

 

            “ Well I was only one she died so I don’t remember much…But…the one thing I think I remember is her smile…she had a glorious smile. I don’t know if that is from the pictures or just my imagination but it’s the only thing that I have of here that seems real. Of course my family has told stories about her but it’s not the same. You know what I mean?”

 

            “ Y-yeah I-I understand…did she get sick?” 

 

            “Uh…” That was a very good question. Her father never told her how exactly her mother passed away.  She just assumed that she had gotten sick. No one had ever said anything to contradict the idea so…

 

            “ I think so…dad doesn’t say much about it…at all. To be honest I’m not quite sure. Why do you ask?” Some thing was wrong here. Zora could feel it. Neville stopped looking at her and he was beginning to fidget. Why was he getting nervous now? It was almost like he knew something. But that was impossible, Zora thought to herself, they had only known each other for a few hours.

 

            “Neville…?” He began to fidget even more and now he was starting to sweat.

 

            “ I-it’s just that…”

 

            “Yes?”

 

            “ I overheard my grandmother talking once about a woman named Cecile Shacklebolt…”

 

            “My mum’s last name before she married my dad was Shacklebolt..,” Why would Mrs. Longbottom talk about her mom?

 

            “ She was talking about tonight and how it brought up bad memories. She said that something bad happened tonight, that a woman named Cecile Shacklebolt…was killed...in a garden in Winterbourne.” Zora’s heart began to race…no it couldn’t be…not her mum…Mrs. Longbottom was mistaken…that was the only way to think about it. Her father…her father would have said something to her if it were anything else.

 

            “ You’re wrong…” Zora whispered, it was more to herself than to him. Things were slowly starting to come together in her head. Everything she thought she knew about her mother was unraveling. She didn’t know what to believe. Her father wouldn’t keep something like this from her…he wouldn’t…so therefore Neville was either lying or misinformed.

 

            “ W-what?”

 

            “ You’re wrong!” She didn’t mean to shout, honest she didn’t. The look of surprise and sadness on Neville made her feel guilty. Everything was starting spiral out of control…her world.

 

            “ Neville, it can’t be my…my mother your Gran was talking about b-because my father would have told me…” Or maybe he wouldn’t have…it wouldn’t be the first time that had been secretive about certain things. She needed to talk to him…now. Her eyes started to glaze over in unshed tears. Neville tried to backpedal, instantly regretting saying anything to her.

 

            “ I-I could b-be wrong!…It wouldn’t be the first time...please Zora don’t cry…” and with that she wanted to cry even more, but she refused to let the tears fall. No...She wouldn’t cry…not until she found out the truth…

 

            “ B-but’s that thing N-neville…I don’t think your wrong…we need to go back to the house…I need to talk to my father immediately. If people are saying things like what you heard then they either need to be corrected or I…I need to face facts….”  The children quickly put back on their socks and shoes and made their way back to the Mansion.

 

            All the way there all Zora could think, “ It’s not true...it can’t be true…it can’t…

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

            “ I swear that girl some times…”

 

            “ Oh stop Samson, she will be fine. Be lucky your daughter has a sense of adventure. Like Luna.”

 

            “ Sense of…Solidad she and some boy just literally leapt into a blizzard, against my direct orders, and you want me to be happy about it?” Of course Solidad would have approved. When she lived for the thrill, Samson thought that was probably one of the reasons why she was interested in spell-making.

 

            “ It shows initiative, a take charge attitude. I would’ve thought a Gryffindor alum would respect that in their offspring…” 

 

            “ That’s not the point Solidad, it’s dangerous out there and I don’t want anything to happen to her. I am her father after all.”

 

            “ You could have fooled me…” Damn it. Not now. Or maybe it was a late Christmas gift. Samson had been spoiling for a fight ever since he saw Lucius Malfoy walk into the room.

 

            “ Allowing your daughter to go off in such harsh conditions on her own…with a boy… is a tad irresponsible…don’t you think?”

 

            “ Malfoy I don’t have the patience nor desire to deal with you right now so why don’t you go back to your den of snakes and leave us alone?” That was about as civil as he was going to get, he just hoped Lucius would take the hint but of course Lucius always wanted to be the last word.

 

            “ Temper, temper Samson I’m just expressing my concern…as one parent to another.” Daggers, sharp pointy daggers came from both sides.

 

            “ Your concern is not wanted or needed I can take care of my own.”

 

            “ And again you could’ve fooled me McQueen. Your track record hasn’t exactly been stellar has it…?” Something in Samson snapped, he prepared to full out charge at smirking Malfoy. It took both Xenophillus and his father to hold him back. Lucius had not moved one inch. He didn’t have to. The Minister of Magic was somewhere around the room. There were witnesses all around the room. If he hit him there would serious repercussions.  They weren’t in school anymore, they needed to start acting like it.

 

            Xenophillus and Reginald only let go of him when they were sure (or at least more sure) that he would not try and bull rush them. Samson took a deep breath and tried to be civil with his words.

 

            “Lucius, I know that you are trying bait me and I almost fell for it. But no more. You and I are not in school anymore and your attempts at provoking me won’t work.  The only power you have over me is what I am willing to give you and I refuse to give you shite.”

 

            “ Now, I have something much more important to attend to, so if you would be so kind as to shove off back your family…”

 

            “ OW! Let go of me you crazy lunatic!” The turned their heads to the scream.

 

            “ Let me see your wrist, you have something that isn’t yours.” It was quite a scene to behold. The young Draco Malfoy was face down on the marble floor, kicking furiously while Luna Lovegood calmly sat on top of him. She seemed very keen on getting something that was wrapped around his right wrist.

 

            “ Leave me alone!” For a girl her size it was quite surprising to Draco how hard it was to shake her off. How this all happen seemed to be a literal blur. One minute he was talking to his friends and the next thing he knows, he’s on the floor with a young girl on his back demanding to see what was on his wrist.

 

            “WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS?!” Narcissa quickly made her way to her failing son. Before she got to them Solidad was able to intercept.

 

            “ Luna, get off that boy this instant!” She wanted to laugh, very much so. The whole thing was comical however she couldn’t laugh at the risk of making the situation worse. Luna did what she was told but continued to calmly frown at the angry boy.

 

            “ Ah Solidad I should have known the girl was yours. Such common behavior I wouldn’t have expected anything else.” Solidad ignored the comment. Narcissa’s insults were nothing new or original. She focused her attention onto Luna and asked her why she, for lack of a better word, pounced on Draco.

 

            “ He has something that doesn’t belong to him. He wouldn’t give it back. I asked him nicely at first, honest. “

 

            “ Preposterous, my son would never take something of yours.” Again, Solidad chose not say anything but Narcissa was pushing it. She could insult her all she wanted but if thought that going after her daughter was going to happen then she would be sorely mistaken.

 

            “ Not mine. Zora’s. Her hair ribbon, it’s tied around his wrist. I know it’s hers because I gave it to her last Christmas. He needs to give it back because it’s not his.”

 

            “ Draco…?” All eyes were on him, he had to keep calm it was her word against hers.

 

            “ Honestly mother I don’t know what this girls’ talking about I was just walking around them and she pounced on me like a wild animal.”

 

            “ Did not you little liar!”

 

            “ Now hold on, HOLD ON! There is a simple way to find out what’s truly going on. Narcissa if you would check the boy’s wrists we can end this and go our separate ways. Agreed?” Narcissa reluctantly nodded. Never did she think that she would ever agree with Solidad Lovegood.

 

            Narcissa turned to her son and smiled at him sweetly. “ Draco sweetheart…I know this is completely absurd but could you show mummy your wrists…it’s the only way to get these people to stop fussing.”

 

            “But mother…”

 

            “Draco…now please.” Draco shot daggers at the blonde girl who just smiled in triumph. He slowly lifted up his sleeves and glowered.

 

Narcissa was about to say something until there was a huge crash. Everyone turned heads towards the sound. Zora and the boys were back. The house-elves quickly reassembled the broken glass cutting off the severe draft.

 

Samson, Reginald and Grace rushed over to the group. Samson was about to reprimand them for disobeying his orders but he saw a distraught look in her eyes.  Luca laid himself down so the children could climb off. Neville kind fell off but made a quick recovery. Zora, on the other hand slowly slid off the side. Tears glistened in her eyes, fear  and insecurity exuded from her body.

 

“ Zora what’s wrong—“  

 

            “ Tell me how mother died.” Samson froze. He didn’t know what to say. Zora knew something. They way she said it, it made it seem like she was looking for a confirmation rather than an actual answer. How did she…he glanced over to the Longbottom boy, who try to shrink from his gaze.  He didn’t have time for that...

 

            “ Zora now is not the time…”

 

            “ No. You have to tell me now….You promised no more secrets…you promised that if I asked you about mum you would tell me.” Her voice wavered. The longer she waited the sicker she felt. How could he…how could they all keep something like this from her? Didn’t they realize how much she needed information about her mother? Didn’t they understand how starved she was to know about her mother?

 

            “Zora, darling, I promise you I will tell you everything but now…” The spell. He couldn’t say anything about it even if he tried.

 

            “ How could you…how could you keep this from me? She’s my mother and you kept her from me…!” she began to hyperventilate somewhat, trying to keep the tears down but it seemed to be futile.

 

            “ We were only doing what we thought was best Queenie.” Xenophillus interjected, the words seemed to fall flat. The look on his surrogate niece’s face was heartbreaking.

 

            “ She is my mother I need…no I deserve to know what happen to her. Why won’t you tell me?!” She was starting to get hysterical. Then Luna tried to calm her friend down. Tears were in her eyes…oh no…not Luna as well.  

 

            “ Zora…we were trying to protect you…that’s what family does even though it can hurt it us to do it.” Luna tried to take Zora’s hand but she snatched it away.

 

            “ No…no! Not you too Lu-lu…I would’ve you expected this from them but not from you…” Zora said brokenly, “I thought we were sisters…”

 

“ We are sisters Zora!” Luna cried. She feared this would happen…it was like one of her nightmares come to life.

 

             “ NO! If you were my sister you would have been honest with me despite what they said. How can I ever trust any of you to be honest with me?” Now she was getting angry, they all thought that she couldn’t handle it. Did they really think she would be that weak? Yes she would be heartbroken to hear about it but at least it would have through one of them. Her family, the ones she was supposed to rely on didn’t trust her enough to handle the news about her mother.

 

            “ Zora, please we understand that you’re angry but please direct your anger towards the ones responsible…Luna is innocent of any wrong doing. We asked her to not tell you. Be angry at the ones responsible.” Reginald tried to reason. He honestly didn’t care about the crowd that was no doubt watching their every move. They could all shove off for all he cared. His granddaughter opinion meant more to him than any of theirs. He tried to step closer towards her but she stepped away. The farther she stepped away from them the more their hearts broke.

 

For the first time in her life Zora felt alone. The ones she loved more the anything, the ones she trusted more than anyone kept something so dear…so important from her. Her breathing increased until people noticeably see her take in air. Then something clicked inside her…the need to flee. They were closing in her on…she felt claustrophobic. So many eyes were on her, she didn’t know who she could trust anymore.  Zora backed up until she hit something. She saw her father and did nothing. She stared at him like she would a stranger and that nearly killed him. Slowly Samson slowly moved towards his daughter, thinking that since she made no outward opposing gesture it was okay. Samson gathered her into his arms and that was when the damn broke. Like fox cornered she fought him. She screamed, cried but he would not budge.

 

            “LET GO OF ME! HOW COULD YOU?! HOW COULD YOU?!” She screamed. “LET GO OF ME!”

 

            “ I’m sorry Zorra, I’m so sorry…” he whispered.

 

            “ I HATE YOU…I HATE YOU!” she sobbed, unconsciously she created porcupine needles. Thankfully they weren’t too noticeable if you were far enough away.  Of course they could hear what was mostly said but at least they the decency to stand off. Samson felt them dig into his skin but still he didn’t budge.

 

            “ I love you Zora…I love you so much darling.” He said calmly. He refused to let go until she remembered that. He couldn’t lose his daughter…she was everything to him. As soon as she heard those words she stopped fighting, all she could do was sob. She retracted her needles and fell into her father’s arms.

 

            “ Bring her back papa…please….I promise I’ll be good….do whatever you say…just bring mama back…” she whispered brokenly into his neck. Samson gripped her tightly against his chest, the tears absorbing into his cloak. So much did he want to tell her that he would…that he could, if not for himself but for her. There was nothing more Cecile wanted than to watch her daughter grow up, to fight with her, to cry with her, to laugh, to comfort her when he’d be to daft to know what was going on. All those moments…ripped from an infants’ unknowing hand… it was criminal. It’s perpetrator in the very room. It was a tragedy that no child should undergo.

 

            “ Princess…I would give you that, the moon and the stars if I were able…but I simply can’t.” Samson whispered back, trying to so hard to hold back the tears in his own eyes.

 

            “ Why?” a question he asked himself and many books of magic…it took him but finally accepted the answer given to him by his father and Albus Dumbledore.

 

            “ There is no way to bring back the dead darling…and if there was they would not be the people we knew…they would something else…something dark…something unnatural…” A cry could be heard from Solidad, Xenophillus held his wife in arms. 

 

            “ Papa I want to bed now…” Her tone… it sounded so defeated. It tore his heart to pieces.  Samson nodded his head and lifted her into his arms. He looked over to his father.

 

            “ Dad…”

 

            “ Samson, go…I’ll take care of everything here.” The widower nodded, he began walking out of the room. Eyes following his ever move but took notice of them. He had nothing to be ashamed of. If they had a problem then they could all just go to hell. He had more important things to think about.

 

            “Papa, wait.”

 

            “ What’s wrong Zora?” she lifted her head from his shoulder and called for Luca. Like the faithful and obedient companion he was, Luca he followed his young mistress. Transforming into his cub form mid trot, he followed his family out of the ballroom, away from the stares and no doubt talk. 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

            An hour later the non-familial guests had left the estate, those who were left surveyed the damage left behind. No one knew what to say to each other. Grace sent a patronus to Kingsley telling him the news and he quickly apparated to the mansion.   Solidad tried her best to comfort her daughter but nothing helped. Eventually, she got her to go bed.

 

            “ She hates me mother…I lost Zora…she hates me.” Luna cried into her mother’s chest.

 

            “ She doesn’t hate you Lu-Lu she’s upset with us but she doesn’t hate you…no matter what she says.” Solidad had to believe that…if she caused a permanent rip between her girls then…she wouldn’t know what to do…. “ Just go to bed darling…things will look better in the morning…”

 

            Closing the door to the bedroom, Solidad walked back into the sitting area where the rest of the adults. Mimsy served them hot tea and fire-whiskey. They all sat around the fire saying nothing.

 

            “ We should have expected this…I don’t know why we thought she would take this well…” Xenophillus thought aloud. Solidad shot him a scathing look but he ignored it.

 

            “ We were trying to protect her…”

 

            “ No we were trying to protect ourselves. Iddy imagine how she must be feeling right now. She just found out about her mother from some boy she only knew for three hours instead of the people who’ve known her entire life…she must feel terrible…”

 

            “ In trying to protect her we instead disarmed them with omission. Instead of healing her we wounded her with betrayal. Now we must face the consequences of our action, for better or for worse.” Kingsley said somberly, he was the only one who was against keeping his sister’s death a secret. It was partially the reason why he had stayed away from the rest of the family, but mostly it was out of guilt. He was the one called who Samson in the night Cecile was killed, he couldn’t bear looking into his niece’s eyes knowing that he partially responsible for why she would never her know her mother. 

 

            “ Kingsley is right, we did this to ourselves…whatever happens next is up to both Zora and Luna.” Reginald sighed as he took a sip of his fire-whiskey tea. He stared into the fire thinking about the entire party. It was a disaster, no amount of good that actually happened that night could make it all right. The sight of his granddaughter sobbing into his sons’ chest would never leave him. Remembering how she looked at him with such anger and disbelief and betrayal he would never quite get over it.

 

            “ I’m not going to apologize for trying to protect the ones I love…of course the way both of them found out about is highly regrettable…”

 

“ Oh Iddy face it, we fucked up…big time. No amount of good intention is going to change that.” Maybe it was the fire-whiskey talking…or maybe it was the fact that his own daughter couldn’t look at him. Either way Samson was done trying to fool himself into believing that what he did was completely selfless.

 

            “ Samson! Language…please.”

 

            “ Sorry dad…” He wasn’t sorry. Samson put Zora on her bed and she instantly rolled herself over. The only one she paid any attention to was Luca, who instantly jumped on to the bed and laid next to her…farthest from him. That dug the knife in just a little bit deeper.

 

            “ All we can do now is go to bed…and hope for the best.”

 

            The clock struck twelve and all was not well, the secret that was kept for so long was finally out and the damages left were still yet to be seen. Their world had changed, only time now would tell them by just how much.

 

 

 






Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading! Hope you liked it.







Enter the security code shown below:
Note: You may submit either a rating or a review or both.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.